Showing 15888 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving

A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.

Conveyances are transfers of land from one party to another, usually for money. Early forms of conveyance include feoffments, surrenders and admissions at manor courts (if the property was copyhold), final concords, common recoveries, bargains and sales and leases and releases.

An assignment of term, or assignment to attend the inheritance, was an assignment of the remaining term of years in a mortgage to a trustee after the mortgage itself has been redeemed. An assignment of a lease is the transfer of the rights laid out in the lease to another party, usually for a consideration (a sum of money).

From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".

David Pollock, a Scottish-born saddler who had settled in London, had three distinguished sons: Sir David Pollock, Chief Justice of Bombay; Field Marshal Sir George Pollock, who served in Afghanistan; and the Right Honorable Sir Frederick Pollock. The papers in this collection seem to relate to properties owned by the latter and his family.

Frederick Pollock was born in 1783. He studied at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he excelled. He was called to the Bar in 1807 and pursued a successful legal career. He became MP for Huntingdon and was appointed Attorney General, being promoted to Lord Chief Baron of the Court of Exchequer in 1844. In addition he pursued mathematical interests, submitting articles to the Royal Society.

Pollock married Frances Rivers in 1813. She died in 1827 and in 1835 he married Srah Ann Lanslow of Hatton. He had a large family, 20 children by both women. His eldest son, William Frederick Pollock, inherited the baronetcy in 1870 when Frederick died.

Information from: The Times, Wednesday, Aug 24, 1870; pg. 10; Issue 26837; col E.

Fox-Strangways Family

The Fox-Strangways family hold the Earldom of Ilchester and their family seat is Melbury House, Dorset. Through Ilchester Estates, the family own and manage many properties in Holland Park, London.

Stephen Fox-Strangways (1704-1776) was given the title Earl of Ilchester in 1756. He was the older brother of Henry Fox, 1st Baron Holland (1705-1774), who purchased Holland Park Estate in 1768 from William Edwardes (later Baron Kensington).

Holland Park Estate remained under the ownership of successive Barons Holland until 1874, when it passed to their distant relative Henry Fox-Strangways, 5th Earl of Ilchester.

Ralph Combes of Shepperton was a fisherman who died in 1719. His land seems to have passed to his relatives Richard Coombs of Sunbury, a malster and Ralph Coombs of Shepperton, a fisherman.

A charity school was founded in Wapping-Stepney in 1716 which was reorganised in 1719 as schools for 50 boys and 50 girls from the neighbourhood. The schools were run by a Master and a Mistress and were housed in Charles Street, Old Gravel Lane.

In 1736 Raine's Asylum, or Hospital, was established nearby as a boarding school for 40 girls, trained by a Matron for four years in order to take up domestic service on leaving. Girls were selected after two years elementary education at the charity, or lower, school founded in 1719.

The main benefactor of the schools and founder of the Asylum was Henry Raine (1679-1738) whose name was later attached to both establishments. A wealthy brewer and pious churchman who lived in Wapping-Stepney, he allocated wealth to the schools in 1719 which were also funded by donations and charity sermons. Raine's Asylum was endowed with freehold lands in Blackfriars and Castle Street, Stepney and stock from the South Sea Company; this was to provide for the board and clothing of the girls together with £210 annually for two marriage portions and two wedding festivals.

The marriage portion was available to past pupils of Raine's Asylum, aged 22 and above, who could produce certificates of good character from former masters and mistresses, and whose husbands were suitable members of the Church of England from the parishes of St. George in the East, St. Paul, Shadwell, and St. John at Wapping. On 1 May and 26 December of each year up to six candidates drew lots from a casket (in the custody of Raine's School) for marriage portions of £100, hence the nickname the 'Hundred pound School'. The last Wedding Festival was held in 1892.

The Trustees were incorporated by an Act of 1780. By this date, the area was changing rapidly and becoming increasingly populous; the construction of London Dock in 1802 forced the Asylum to sell large amounts of freehold property. At the same time many of the school's patrons were moving away from Stepney.

A new building was erected at the rear of the Asylum in 1820 at the same time as St. George's National School was founded within the site of Raine's schools; from 1780, there had been St. George's Scholars within the boys school and close links were maintained with the parish branch of the National Society, in association with the Middlesex Schools Society. This school amalgamated with the boys school in 1877.

Under the Education Act, 1870 the state took up the running of elementary education; the Trustees, therefore, under obligation from the deed of trust to provide free education unavailable elsewhere decided to raise and extend the education given by the foundation. Schemes approved by the Charity Commissioners led to the removal of the boys school to Cannon Street Road (1875), the removal of the girls school to the former National School buildings (1880-1885), the dissolution of the Corporation of Governors and Trustees of Raine's Charities and the constitution of a new governing body, served by a Clerk, to administer the Foundation (1880), and the closure of the Asylum (1883). This process of raising the standard of education continued when the schools became secondary schools (boys in 1897; girls in 1904) and known as a dual secondary school, 1904-1913. Endowments were re-directed to maintain 100 free scholarships with special encouragement given to technical training and close links with the College of City and Guilds of London Technical Institute. Provision was made for a Prepatory School from 1877 to 1904.

The school buildings soon proved inadequate and were condemned by the London County Council Education Officer's Department; the School, faced with an ultimatum of moving or losing its official aid, opted to remove to Arbour Square, Stepney (1911-1913) to a new building designed by H.O. Ellis. Here, the schools functioned as separate entities. Wartime evacuation took the boys school to Varndean School, Brighton in 1939 but moved the Junior School to Egham, Surrey and the Senior School to Camberley in 1940. The girls school removed to Hurstpierpoint, Sussex. In 1944 the schools became known as voluntary aided grammar schools and in 1964 the schools became co-educational as Raine's Foundation School. In 1976 the Upper School was merged with St. Jude's Church of England Secondary School and moved to Approach Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 9PY (buildings of the former Parmiter's School). The Lower School is now at Old Bethnal Green Road, London E2 6PR.

Sir Charles Blackmore was born in 1880. He entered the Imperial Civil Service and was posted to Northern Ireland, becoming the Secretary to the Northern Ireland Cabinet between 1924 and 1939. He was knighted in 1932. In 1967 he died, unmarried, at his home in County Down. Blackmore was a noted collector of antiques, many of which were destroyed when his home was gutted by fire in the 1930s.

Constance Winifred Honey was born in England in 1892. She moved to Australia as a child and trained as a painter at the National Gallery School, Melbourne. In 1911 she returned to London and lived there until her death in 1944.

Obituary of Sir Charles Blackmore: The Times Monday, May 15, 1967; pg. 12; Issue 56941; col E.

Information about C W Honey from http://www.daao.org.au/bio/constance-winifred-honey/ [accessed Sept 2011].

In the late 16th century Thomas Sutton, merchant and "richest commoner in England", decided to found a charitable institution to provide shelter for elderly gentlemen in reduced circumstances and an education for poor boys. His original idea was to build this hospital on part of his own land at Hallingbury Bouchers, Essex (Little Hallingbury). In 1611, however, the year of his death, he purchased the former Carthusian monastery near Smithfield, and decided instead to found his institution there.

The monastery had, like all Carthusian houses, been named after the site of the original abbey, at Chartreuse, and this had become corrupted in English to Charterhouse. After the dissolution of the monasteries the building was used as an aristocratic mansion until Thomas Sutton's purchase.

Sutton's Hospital was granted letters patent by James I in 1611, under its full title "The Hospital of King James founded at Charterhouse in the County of Middlesex, at the humble petition and only costs and charges of Thomas Sutton Esquire".

The rules of the charity were that any single or widowed gentleman, of good character and over the age of 60 (later 50) years, could apply to one of the governors for nomination if he was no longer in a position to support himself financially. Once nominated and accepted by the hospital, the pensioners or 'Poor Brothers' as they were known, would be given a room in Charterhouse, meals and a small pension. Poor scholars were nominated in the same way at about 11 years of age and provided with a basic education. At the end of this period they were either apprenticed to a trade or given an exhibition to one of the universities.

In 1872 the school outgrew its Charterhouse site and moved to new, purpose-built premises in Godalming, Surrey. The Hospital's revenue comes largely from its extensive land holdings. On his death Thomas Sutton bequeathed to the governors most of his own lands in Essex, Wiltshire and Lincolnshire. They also owned Sutton's Cambridgeshire estates at Balsham and Castle Camps.

After Sutton's death the governors purchased further estates, to be used for the purpose of generating income for apprenticing scholars and providing exhibitions. These estates comprised the manors of Hartland, Devon; Higney, Huntingdonshire; Blacktoft, Yorkshire; Bockleton, Shropshire; Fulstow and Tetney, Lincolnshire.

Saint Philip's Church of England School was situated on Swanfield Street (formerly Mount Street). It opened in 1843 as a day and Sunday School for boys, girls and infants. It was closed during the Second World War.

Source 'Bethnal Green: Education', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 242-260 (available online).

An Act of 1792 established seven 'Public Offices' (later Police offices and Police courts) in the central Metropolitan area. The aim was to establih fixed locations where 'fit and able magistrates' would attend at fixed times to deal with an increasing number of criminal offences.

Offices were opened in St Margaret Westminster, St James Westminster, Clerkenwell, Shoreditch, Whitechapel, Shadwell and Southwark. An office in Bow Street, Covent Garden, originally the home of the local magistrate, had been operating for almost 50 years and was largely the model for the new offices.

In 1800 the Marine Police Office or Thames Police Office, opened by 'private enterprise' in 1798, was incorporated into the statutory system. In 1821 an office was opened in Marylebone, apparently replacing the one in Shadwell.

Each office was assigned three Justices of the Peace. They were to receive a salary of £400 per annum. These were the first stipendiary magistrates. Later they were expected to be highly qualified in the law, indeed, to be experienced barristers. This distinguished them from the local lay justices who after the setting up of Police Offices were largely confined, in the Metropolitan area, to the licensing of innkeepers. In addition each office could appoint up to six constables to be attached to it.

The commonly used term of 'Police Court' was found to be misleading. The word 'police' gave the impression that the Metropolitan Police controlled and administered the courts. This was never the case, the word 'police' was being used in its original meaning of 'pertaining to civil administration', 'regulating', etc.

In April 1965 (following the Administration of Justice Act 1964) the London Police Courts with their stipendiary magistrates were integrated with the lay magistrates to form the modern Inner London Magistrates' Courts.

The police courts dealt with a wide range of business coming under the general heading of 'summary jurisdiction', i.e. trial without a jury. The cases heard were largely criminal and of the less serious kind. Over the years statutes created many offences that the courts could deal with in addition to Common Law offences. Examples include: drunk and disorderly conduct, assault, theft, begging, possessing stolen goods, cruelty to animals, desertion from the armed forces, betting, soliciting, loitering with intent, obstructing highways, and motoring offences. Non-criminal matters included small debts concerning income tax and local rates, landlord and tenant matters, matrimonial problems and bastardy.

Offences beyond the powers of the Court would normally be passed to the Sessions of the Peace or Gaol Delivery Sessions in the Old Bailey (from 1835 called the Central Criminal Court). From the late 19th century such cases would be the subject of preliminary hearings or committal proceedings in the magistrates' courts.

Outside the London Police Court Area but within the administrative county of Middlesex lay justices continued to deal with both criminal offences and administrative matters such as the licensing of innkeepers.

The exact area covered by a Court at any particular time can be found in the Kelly's Post Office London Directories, available on microfilm at LMA. The entries are based on the original Orders-in-Council establishing police court districts. A map showing police court districts is kept in the Information Area of LMA with other reference maps. Please ask a member of staff for assistance.

During the late 16th century the need for a fresh water supply to the City of London became increasingly apparent. The city was served by an inadequate number of conduits, and its main source of fresh water - the River Thames - was contaminated by sewage and refuse.

After several abortive attempts at legislation, the Corporation of London finally accepted the offer of Hugh Myddelton, a goldsmith of the city, to complete a new conduit in four years. This was in 1609, and by September 1613 the work was duly completed. The conduit, known as the New River, rises from Chadwell Spring in Hertfordshire, and runs approximately 40 miles, finally ending in the Round Pond at New River Head, behind Sadlers Wells Theatre in Rosebery Avenue. As well as providing water for the citizens of London, the New River Company owned a great deal of property along the course of the river, in both Hertfordshire and London.

James I granted a charter to the New River Company in June 1619, and it was incorporated under the title of 'The Governor and Company of the New River brought from Chadwell and Amwell to London'. The seal of the company depicted the 'hand of Providence bestowing rain' upon the city and its motto was "et plui super unam civitatem" (and I rained upon one city).

Capital for the venture was provided jointly by James I and Hugh Myddelton, along with 28 other 'Adventurers'. On the incorporation of the company the two parties divided the shares between them; James I owned the King's Shares. The Adventurers' Shares were divided into 36 parts, 22 of the directors owning one part, and 7 others (including Hugh Myddelton) owning two.

The function of the company as a public utility ceased with the passing of the Metropolis Water Act in 1902. By this act the provision of London's water supply was passed from the various water companies to the newly-created Metropolitan Water Board.

As a result of this takeover, the New River Company was re-incorporated in 1904 as a modern property company. It was registered under The Companies Acts 1862-1900 as The New River Company (Limited). The Company was taken over again in 1974 by London Merchant Securities, but still exists as a separate entity within that group.

The London Grosvenor Building Society was established in 1878 and latterly had offices at 5 Old Brompton Road, London SW7. It was taken over by the Woolwich Building Society.

Between 1950 and 1983 the society took over a number of other building societies based in the London area, including the Middlesex Building Society and the Metropole Building Society.

Borough Market Trustees

The City of London's Guildable Manor of the Town and Borough of Southwark, also known as the Guildable Manor, is the organisation of the Juror freemen of the Court Leet.

Southwark was granted to the citizens of London by a charter of Edward III in 1327, following a petition from the citizens because felons and thieves escaped the City into Southwark where they could not be followed. A further charter issued by Edward VI in 1550 aimed to ensure that Southwark was completely absorbed into the City by making the citizens lords of the three manors there - the Guildable Manor, the King's Manor and the Great Liberty. With royal permission, Lords of the Manor could hold a criminal court, called the court leet. The court leet tried an punished all minor crimes committed within the jurisdiction. They were particularly used to ensure trading standards were adhered to, such as weights and measures. The court generally sat only a few times each year - sometimes just annually. A matter was introduced into the court by means of a "presentment", from a local man or from the jury itself. Penalties were in the form of fines or imprisonment.

The Southwark Court Leet, held by the Guildable Manor, has a long association with the Borough Market Trustees - the Guildable Manor court used to appoint from its number officers described as 'Supervisors of the Market', and the Borough Market Trustees built themselves a new office with a Court Room on Southwark Street in 1932, which is where the Jury assembled until 1999.

For further information see the Guildable Manor website, http://www.guildablemanor.i12.com/ (accessed Sept 2009).

Christopher Müller arrived in England from Wertheim in Germany, via Paris, in or before 1886. He started work in March 1886 in London as a book-keeper and correspondent with the British Woollen Warehouse Corporation, and in 1895 moved to Kuetgens Bros, woollen merchants in a similar capacity. He left that situation in 1898. It is not clear what he was doing between 1898 and 1912 but his tax returns indicate that he was living in London. In May 1912 he started a business as a Commission Agent, dealing chiefly in furs and pelts, and trading with France, Germany, Sweden, Denmark and Russia. He died in 1915. The business seems to have been carried on for a short while by his son Fritz (Frederick) Müller, a publisher, but finally ceased about 1921.

William Edward Sumpner lived at number 33 Pennyfields in 1866, when his profession is recorded as currier (a person who dressed and coloured tanned leather). By 1916 he was living in Ilford.

White , family

William White lived in Peckham, but moved to Marylebone after his wedding.

A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.

An assignment of a lease is the transfer of the rights laid out in the lease to another party, usually for a consideration (a sum of money).

A covenant or deed of covenant was an agreement entered into by one of the parties to a deed to another. A covenant for production of title deeds was an agreement to produce deeds not being handed over to a purchaser, while a covenant to surrender was an agreement to surrender copyhold land.

From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".

Dunlop Rubber Company Ltd

The Dunlop Rubber Company takes its name from John Boyd Dunlop, the first person to put the pneumatic principle into everyday use by making an air filled tube tyre for bicycles. However, he was only involved with the company from 1889 to 1894, when he joined a rival firm, Tubeless (Fleuss) Pneumatic Tyre Company.

The original company was the Pneumatic Tyre and Booth's Cycle Agency Ltd, founded in 1888 in Dublin. The name Dunlop Rubber Company was first used in 1889 for a private company created to serve as one of the manufacturing units for the founder company. This founder company changed its name several times: in 1893 to the Pneumatic Tyre Company Limited: in 1896 to the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company Limited and in 1913 to the Parent Tyre Company Limited. In 1931 the founder company went into liquidation.

In the meantime, Harvey Du Cros (who had helped to form the Pneumatic Tyre and Booth's Cycle Agency Ltd.) was providing finance to Byrne Bros., a Birmingham business engaged in the production of general rubber goods. In 1896 Byrne Bros. underwent flotation of the stock market as the Rubber Tyre Manufacturing Company based at Para Mill with the intention of building a new factory, Manor Mills, alongside it. Du Cros purchased the Manor Mills and the Rubber Tyre Manufacturing Company in 1900 and 1901 respectively, and the two companies were amalgamated to form the Dunlop Rubber Company Limited. This company purchased the founder company in 1912.

In subsequent years Dunlop expanded into a vast multinational organisation. By 1946 there were 90,000 shareholders and 70,000 employees with factories in many different countries, sales outlets in nearly every country, and rubber plantations in Southeast Asia (from 1910). Apart from merely producing tyres, the Dunlop Rubber Company Limited made cycle rims and motor car wheels from 1906 and in 1914 developed a process of spinning and doubling cotton for a new tyre fabric. A collapse in trade in 1922 after the post World War I boom led to financial and administrative reorganisation, but the inter war period also saw the development of Latex foam cushioning (sold by the subsidiary, Dunlopillo) and expansion by way of new factories in South Africa and India.

After World War II (during which Dunlop played a major part as suppliers of tyres and rubber goods to the allied forces). Dunlop expanded further to produce sports goods, sponge rubber, precision bearings and adhesives. Dunlop Holdings Limited (encompassing the whole company) was bought by BTR plc in 1985.

Roneys , solicitors

Crews Hill Golf Club was founded in 1916 in parkland near Enfield. Charles Whitcombe was their professional golfer between 1925 and 1950. He still holds the course record, set in June 1937.

A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.

Conveyances are transfers of land from one party to another, usually for money. Early forms of conveyance include feoffments, surrenders and admissions at manor courts (if the property was copyhold), final concords, common recoveries, bargains and sales and leases and releases.

From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".

Anthony Heap, was born on 13 March 1910 and lived all his life in Holborn and St Pancras. From the late 1920s he was a regular 'first-nighter' in London theatres, extending his interest to the cinema and later television and opera. A large part of his diaries consists of his reviews of performances which towards the end of his life diverge increasingly from the judgements of professional critics. In the 1950s he began to note and review books he read. He was never employed as a professional critic but from 1969 to 1980 wrote reviews, as he says copied from his diary, for the National Association of Local Government Officers 'house' magazine, known for part of that time as Public Eye.

From 1932 to 1980 he reviewed each year at its end. His life, though full, appears from the diaries to have declined from the expectations of youth into the sadness of later life. We know from references in later diaries that he attended Mrs Kemp's School in Great Ormond Street and St Clement Danes School in Holborn. When he began keeping the diaries he was living with his parents at 139 Grays Inn Road, taking evening and correspondence courses and active in the Holborn Rovers (where he soon became acquainted with Ralph Reader). He was already working for Peter Robinson's. He was also already a frequent theatre-goer although the diaries do not contain reviews until 1931.

In 1932 he moved house twice with his mother, his parents having parted, although previous diaries give no indication of family problems. The following year his father killed himself. In 1934 he and his mother moved again. Later that year his mother was found to be suffering from cancer although she appears to have been cured or to have suffered a lengthy remission. His grandmother, whom he had visited regularly, died. In 1937 they moved again to the block of flats his mother was to live in until her death.

Although he was not accepted for military service and neither he nor his family according to the diary sustained any losses during the war, the war years were eventful for the diarist. He was not at all a jingoist, and the general tone of the diaries of the first few years is of defeatism, a preference for Germany rather than 'lefties', hostility to Churchill. In the 1930s he had admired fascism and for several years belonged to British Union of Facists, having in the late 1920s examined Moral Re-armament; in 1937 he joined the local Conservative Association (his mother was for many years a supporter). After the war he appears to have been more active in the National Association of Local Government Officers than in local or national politics. It was his son whose interest in the Young Conservatives is chronicled in the diaries 1967-1970. The diarist's own post-war political loyalties fluctuated.

After 13 and a half years he was dismissed from Peter Robinson in July 1940 but before the end of the year joined St Pancras Borough Council and stayed there until the end of his working life. He had wanted to leave Peter Robinson for most of the period covered by the diaries.

The diary for the end of 1940, with references to the blitz and life in the shelters and to 'sight-seeing in the raid devastation areas' (the diary for 1936 recorded his irritation at not having seen the fire at Crystal Palace), recorded the end of a friendship with a married woman who for some time had attempted to leave her husband, taking her children, and perhaps live with the diarist. The beginning of the friendship is not recorded but the affair seems to have been more serious than the two previous female friendships he recorded in 1932 and 1933. But in 1941 the diarist married Marjorie Heatley and moved to another flat. The marriage began happily, although there were some doubts after a year or so, but the birth of their only child Anthony in February 1949, after years of indecision about having a family, brought them both great happiness. Hence-forward the diaries are filled with the father's love of and pride in his son.

Unhappily in 1953 came the first entries recording Mrs Heap's mental illness which was to recur with increasing intensity to the end of her husband's life. She spent some years in hospital and from 1970 attended daily clinics. The diaries record only the climaxes of each bout but the strain of the daily pressure on the diarist becomes apparent in his increasing gloom, increased as his son grows up and moves to his own flat in 1971.

In 1956 the diarist purchased a television set and began to include reviews of programmes, usually plays, in his diaries. In 1958 he was sadly grieved by the death of his mother and in 1959 by the death of his 'Aunt Pop' who had emigrated to America when he was a boy and who was a regular correspondent.

From now on the regularity and strain of the diarist's life was broken by holidays with his son, first in England and then abroad, followed by holidays taken on his own (including one in 1971 which brought him a platonic friendship with a married woman which he felt unable to sustain for more than a few months). After 1974 the holidays became day trips. He arranged fairly regular meetings with old friends though not always with happy results.

In 1975 he retired from Camden Council and took up part-time work with a friend, work he continued until his death. He began to visit the Old Bailey (and watched part of the trial of the Balcombe Street IRA terrorists in 1977) and the British Library's Newspaper Library at Colindale to try to recapture the spirit of the 1930s.

In 1985 the diarist died, having previously aranged for the disposal of his diaries, his Rover log-books and his collection of theatre programmes. He continued throughout his life to visit the theatre and cinema despite times of financial stringency and of personal unhappiness. He felt himself increasingly out of step with the times and deplored innovations from the Beveridge Report to the Beeching Plan, but the diaries record clearly one man's response to post-war London.

Membership of the association was open to all assistant district surveyors employed in the District Surveyor's Offices in Inner London. The association was wound up on 3 March 1986 as a result of the impending abolition of the Greater London Council.

The District Surveyor's Offices were part of the GLC Architect's Department. Building control in inner London was administered at a local level by district surveyors from the mid nineteenth century to 1986. District Surveyors were a statutory, independent body responsible for surveying and supervising all construction work in their districts. They inspected plans and buildings to ensure quality of construction and compliance with statutory requirements under London Building Acts and bye laws. Reports were made to the relevant central administrative authority. In latter years, together with the Building Regulations Division of the Greater London Council's Department of Architecture and Civic Design, district surveyors were responsible for executing the Council's statutory duties under the London Building Acts. Before the abolition of the GLC in 1986, there were about 300 district surveyors and 27 offices administering areas roughly equivalent in size to former metropolitan boroughs. Anyone wishing to construct or alter a building in inner London had to give notice to the relevant district surveyor two days before work was begun. Notice included submission of detailed plans and specifications of the proposed construction for inspection and approval by the district surveyor. Building work requested by the Council's Building Regulations Division, in relation to particular statutory requirements such as means of escape, structural fire precautions such as means of escape, structural fire precautions and waivers of bye-laws, had to be completed to the satisfaction of the district surveyor. Reports were made to the Council through the superintending Architect of Metropolitan Buildings. Where aspects of a proposed work contravened Building Acts or bye laws, the district surveyor could serve a "Notice of Objection" on the builder or owner. If work had begun or been completed a "Notice of Irregularity" could be served. Failure to comply constituted a serious offence. Appeals against decisions could be made to the Council and then to a Tribunal of Appeal. Income of district surveyors was paid by the Council based on the cost of buildings inspected. District surveyors had particular responsibility for dangerous neglected structures. They reported instances to the Council, surveyed and took any action necessary to remove immediate danger. They could also be called on to survey party structures and had the right to inspect buildings on which no notice had been served.

The Anchor Brewery in Southwark was established in 1616 by James Monger and taken over later by James Monger junior. It was bought by James (or Josiah) Child by 1670; who was joined by his son-in-law Edmund Halsey in 1693. Halsey became sole proprietor on Child's death.

The brewery was bought in 1729 by Ralph Thrale, Halsey's nephew, and passed to his son Henry in 1758. It was sold on Henry Thrale's death in 1781 to David Barclay, Robert Barclay, Sylvanus Bevan and John Perkins. The name was later changed from "Thrale and Company" (later "H. Thrale and Company") to "Barclay Perkins and Company" on 1 Jan 1798.

The company was incorporated as "Barclay Perkins and Company Limited" in 1896. Barclay Perkins took over Style and Winch with the Dartford Brewery Company and the Royal Brewery Brentford in 1929. In 1951 the company began to establish the Blue Nile Brewery in Khartoum.

In 1955 they merged with Courage and Company Limited to form Courage and Barclay Limited.

Dartford Brewery Co Ltd

The Dartford Brewery was founded as "Miller and Aldworth", and from 1887 "Miller and Aldworth Limited". It was incorporated in July 1897 as "Dartford Brewery Company Limited". The Brewery was situated at Lowfield Street, Dartford, Kent.

The brewery was acquired jointly by Style and Winch Limited and the Royal Brewery Brentford Limited in 1924; and was therefore acquired by Barclay Perkins and Company Limited in 1929 when it purchased Style and Winch Limited and the Royal Brewery Brentford Limited.

The Brewery went into voluntary liquidation in 1970.

John Courage of Aberdeen bought a brewhouse in Southwark in 1787. After his death it was managed by his wife Harriet and then the senior clerk John Donaldson. It was known as Courage and Donaldson from about 1800 until 1851, when John Courage junior and his sons removed the Donaldsons from management. The company was incorporated as Courage and Company Limited in 1888. Managed The Anchor Brewery, Horselydown, Southwark.

Acquired:

  • Alton Brewery Co, Hants, 1903
  • G Hall and Co Ltd, Alton Brewery, Alton, Hants (Alton Brewery had been bought by Henry Hall in 1841. After it was acquired by Courage and Co, it continued to brew until 1969 when it became a canning and kegging plant);
  • Camden Brewery Co Ltd, Camden, 1923;
  • Farnham United Breweries, Surrey, 1927;
  • Noakes and Co Ltd, Bermondsey, 1927;
  • C N Kidd and Son Ltd, Dartford, 1937;
  • Hodgson's Kingston Brewery Co Ltd, Surrey, 1943.

    Courage merged with Barclay Perkins and Company Limited in 1955, and ceased to trade in 1957. Courage and Barclay Limited and H and G Simonds Limited merged in 1960, forming Courage, Barclay and Simonds Limited.

Courage (Central) Limited was incorporated in 1962 to be responsible for Courage Barclay and Simonds Limited's production, management and trading in central southern England. It was based in Reading, Berkshire. The company ceased to operate in 1984.

Courage (Eastern) Limited of Medway Brewery, Maidstone, Kent, and Anchor Brewhouse, Southwark. Incorporated in 1962 to be responsible for Courage, Barclay and Simonds Limited's production, management and trading in eastern England. The company was based in Kent. It ceased to operate in 1984.

Courage (Export) Limited, of Anchor Brewhouse, Southwark, was probably incorporated in 1963 to consolidate export functions and supervise overseas interest of the Courage Group. The company was based in London. It probably ceased to operate in 1984.

Courage (Western) Limited was incorporated in March 1962 as Courage, Barclay and Simonds (Western) Limited, to be responsible for production, management and trading in south-west England and south Wales for Courage, Barclay and Simonds Limited. The company was based on Bath Street, Bristol. The name was changed to Courage (Western) Limited in February 1963. It absorbed Courage (PB), formerly Plymouth Breweries Ltd, in 1973; but ceased to operate in 1984.

Courage and Barclay Limited, Anchor Terrace, Southwark, was formed in 1955 upon the merger of Barclay Perkins and Company Limited and Courage and Company Limited.

Took over Charles Kinloch and Reffells Bexley Brewery in 1957 and Yardley's London and Provincial Stores and Santovin in 1959. Nicholson and Sons Limited was a wholly owned subsidiary by 1959.

Joined with H. and G. Simonds and Company Limited to form Courage, Barclay and Simonds Limited in 1960.

Charles Kinloch and Company Limited, wine merchants, were based at Park Royal, formerly Queensbury Road, Wembley. By 1956 they had a majority share-holding in H and G Watts (1935) Limited and owned John Porter Goldsmith Limited, A Fielding and Burchall Limited and Shortridge Lawton and Company Limited.

They were acquired by Courage and Barclay in 1957; and absorbed Windsor Wine Cellars and Anchor Vaults in the same year. They took over Wyld and Company Limited and Dunlop and Mackie as non-trading subsidiaries in 1961-1962. The company celebrated its centenary in 1961. In 1963 it bought part of Saccone and Speed.

Harmans Uxbridge Brewery Ltd

The Old Brewery, High Street, Uxbridge, was established in the early eighteenth century by George Harman. It was run as "Harman and Company" by Stanislaus Ronayne Conron and Alice Fleetwood Webb until it was incorporated in 1924 as "Harman's Uxbridge Brewery Ltd". It acquired R Halley Ltd in 1954. The company was taken over by Courage, Barclay and Simonds in 1962; the brewery was closed in 1964 and the company went into liquidation in 1967.

R Halley Ltd , brewers

The brewery was established in 1865 on the High Street, Slough, Berkshire. It was incorporated as R Halley Limited in 1947. A controlling interest was taken by Harman's Uxbridge Brewery in 1954. The brewery ceased trading in August 1963, and entered into voluntary liquidation in January 1967.

Horselydown Property Investment Company Limited was a subsidiary of Courage, Barclay and Simonds, set up [1961], based at Southwark Bridge Road, Southwark.

Horselydown Property Investment Company (Developments) Limited, was a wholly owned property dealing subsidiary of Horselydown Property Investment Company Limited formed in 1969. It is not known if it ever traded.

McManus-Horselydown Limited was set up by Horselydown Property Investment Company Ltd and McManus and Company Limited in 1963 to develop parcels of land in brewery ownership for residential use.

The Castle Brewery, Albert Street, Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, was founded in 1870. It was incorporated in 1890 as James Hole and Company Limited. The brewery was acquired by Courage, Barclay and Simonds in 1967. Took over properties from the Sheffield and District Public House Trust Company Limited in 1967-1968; and took over Catering Services (Newark) Limited 1970.

Wolton and Attwood Limited, wholesalers in beer and spirits, of Rosemary Road, Clacton on Sea, Essex, was incorporated in 1938. It was acquired by Courage Barclay and Simonds in 1968-1969 to be used by Courage (Eastern) Ltd.

Chandlers Limited was incorporated in South Africa in 1902. It operated in association with Courage and Company from 1950. The name was changed to Union Breweries Limited, South Africa, in 1954. The company merged with South African Breweries Limited in 1956; whereupon Courage and Barclay withdrew from the partnership and the London committee was dissolved in 1957.

H and G Watts (1935) Ltd

H and G Watts (1935) Limited, of 6 New Street, Sandwich, Kent, and Back Church Lane, Stepney, London were established in 1935. Trading rights and assets passed to Courage, Barclay and Simonds in 1962. The company was in voluntary liquidation in 1964.

The Brewery was founded in Reading in 1768 by William Simonds. The brewery moved to Broad Street in 1782 and Bridge Street in 1790. By late nineteenth century the brewery had established overseas branches to supply army garrisons. The business was incorporated in November 1885 as H and G Simonds Limited.

Acquisitions: Took over Hewitt and Son, Victoria Brewery, Chain Street, Reading, c.1900; George Crake, Tamar Brewery, Tamar Street, Morice Town, Devonport, Devon, 1919; Mackeson and Co. Ltd, Hythe Brewery, Hythe, Kent, and South Berkshire Brewery Ltd 1920; Arthur Cooper Ltd., wine and spirits merchants, 1929; Ashby's Staines Brewery and Wheeler's Wycombe Breweries Ltd. 1930; Newbury Brewery Co. Ltd., Castle Brewery, Northbrook Street, Newbury, 1931; W.R. Rogers Ltd., Jacob Street Brewery, Bristol 1935; J. Adnams and Son, Eagle Brewery, Broadway, Speenhamland, Newbury, 1936; Cirencester Brewery Ltd., Cricklade Street, Cirencester, Glos, M.P. Hunt, Lakeman's Brewery, Brixham, Devon, and J.L. Marsh and Sons Ltd., Town Brewery, Bryanston Street, Blandford Forum, Dorset, 1939; R.R. Bowley and Co. Ltd., North Wiltshire Brewery, High Street, Swindon, Wilts, 1945; John May and Co. Ltd, The Brewery, Brook Street, Basingstoke, Hants, 1947; Phillips and Sons Ltd., Dock Road Brewery, Dock Road, Newport, Gwent, 1949; R. Grant and Sons, Torquay, Devon, South Devon Co. and C.W. Blundell (Plymouth) Ltd., 1951; Pool and Son Ltd., Penzance, Cornwall, 1953; Octagon Brewery, Martin Street, Plymouth, Devon, 1954.

H and G Simonds Limited acquired a substantial interest in East African Breweries Ltd., Nairobi, Kenya, 1948. They also merged with Farsons of Malta to form Simonds-Farsons 1929 and with Malta Export Brewery Co. to form Simonds-Farsons-Cisk in 1948. The Company entered into a trading agreement with Courage and Barclay Ltd. in 1959 and merged with that company in 1960 to form Courage, Barclay and Simonds Ltd. The Bridge Street Brewery closed in 1979.

Octagon Brewery Ltd

Octagon Brewery Limited, Martin Street, Plymouth, Devon, was established in 1861 by Joseph Godfrey. It was incorporated in January 1899. The company was acquired by H and G Simonds in 1954 and was in liquidation in 1955.

Oakhill Brewery Co Ltd

Oakhill Brewery Company Limited, Ashwick, Somerset was established in 1767. By 1791 the brewery was owned by Jordan and Billingsley. In 1811 it was owned by W.P. Jillard and later by the Spencer family. Incorporated in 1889 as Oakhill Brewery Company Limited. It was taken over by Bristol United Breweries after a major fire in 1925 and with them taken over by Courage, Barclay and Simonds in 1961.

Plymouth Breweries Ltd

Samuel Vosper, "Regent Brewery", Stonehouse; Mrs Butcher, "Anchor Brewery", Chapel Street, Stonehouse; George Ryall, "Frankfort Street Brewery", Plymouth; Hicks and Company "South Devon Brewery", Willow Street, Plymouth and FR Vaughan and Company, "Saltash Brewery", Saltash-on-Tamar, Cornwall, were all amalgamated and incorporated as Plymouth Breweries in 1889. By 1894 all but the Regent Brewery had closed.

The Company acquired Torquay Brewing and Trading Co. Ltd. in 1897 and Swayne and Co. Ltd., Ellacombe Brewery, Church Road, Torquay and Greenslade Bros. St Mary Church Brewery, Fore Street, Torquay, in 1925.

They were acquired by Courage, Barclay and Simonds in 1970. The company name was changed to Courage (PB) in 1971 and became part of Courage (Western) in 1973.

Crocker Brothers Limited of Bath Street, Bristol, was established in 1944 in association with Bristol Brewery Georges, as a subsidiary of that company. In liquidation December 1963: books to Courage (Western) Ltd.

McGeorge and Heppenstalls Limited was a subsidiary of Warwicks and Richardsons Ltd, The Brewery, Nortgage, Newark, Notts, which merged with John Smith's of Tadcaster in 1961 which in turn merged with Courage in 1970.

A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.

An assignment of term, or assignment to attend the inheritance, was an assignment of the remaining term of years in a mortgage to a trustee after the mortgage itself has been redeemed. An assignment of a lease is the transfer of the rights laid out in the lease to another party, usually for a consideration (a sum of money).

From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".