Mostrar 15888 resultados

Registo de autoridade
English Church , Archangel, Russia

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

The Russia Company was the patron of Anglican churches in Moscow, St Petersburg, Cronstadt and Archangel. The first chapel in Moscow was established in 1706 but was closed down when the British Factory left Moscow in 1717, initially for Archangel; its headquarters moved to St Petersburg in 1723.

English Church , Ostend, Belgium

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

There has been an English community and resident chaplain in Ostend since the late eighteenth century. In 1829 a chapel was handed over to Dutch and British Protestants by the Dutch government as a place of worship. In 1865 a new church was consecrated.

Ghent Anglican Chaplaincy , Belgium

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

The Anglican Chaplaincy of Ghent rented St John's Church, Ghent, in the Place Saint Jacques between 1885 and 1948. Since then various premises have been used by the congregation. The chaplaincy was within the Diocese of London until 1980 when a new diocese of Gibraltar in Europe was established.

Nantes Anglican Chaplaincy , France

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

Nantes is a large city in Western France, including a busy port. The chaplaincy here was presumably established for sailors and merchants, and later for tourists.

Saas Fee Anglican Chaplaincy , Switzerland

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

Saas Fee is a small town in the Saas Valley, Switzerland. It is popular with tourists and therefore a seasonal Anglican chaplaincy was established.

St Andrew's Anglican Church , Tangier, Morocco

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

In 1882 a church building fund was started in order to build a small Anglican church in Tangier. An iron church was erected in 1884 which could seat 100 people, and was opened the following year. However, it was found to have insufficient accommodation and was therefore sold to the Evangelical Mission in Tangier. The foundation stone of the present stone church was laid in 1894. The church was consecrated in 1905. A photocopy of the grant of land on which the church was built is in the diocesan filing [Guildhall Library Ms 20983/51].

Captain John Hay Brooks (d 1940) bequeathed a legacy for the benefit of the church and of indigent Moors. The trust was managed by three wardens, who formed themselves into a Societe d' Anonyme (limited liability company) in 1967 for the better administration of the trust. The company was called Brooks Bequest S.A.

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

A number of English speaking churches were established in Boulogne during the nineteenth century, however, as the expatriate community decreased in size these were closed. The community was served by a visiting chaplain until 1995, and worships in chapels loaned by other churches.

St Mark's English Church , Versailles, France

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

Saint Mark's Church possibly originates in services held for English prisoners of war taken during the Battle of Waterloo, 1814. The church certainly existed by 1911 because in that year it is recorded as having burned down. Many of the records were destroyed at this date. The church was rebuilt on the same site but subsequently moved to larger premises.

St George's Anglican Church , Vernet-les-Bains, France

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

Vernet les Bains is a popular tourist destination in South France. The spa there was much visited by nineteenth century aristocracy, hence the construction of an Anglican church.

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

The chaplaincy was established when the Collegiate Church of St Paul's, Valletta, Malta, was consecrated on the 1 November 1844. It was built at a cost of £15,000 by Queen Adelaide, who had visited Malta in 1838-9 and had been concerned at the lack of facilities for worship by Anglicans on the island. Although called a collegiate church, there was no collegiate body attached to it until statutes of January 1911. The church is now known as St Paul's Anglican Pro-Cathedral. A pro-cathedral is a parish church which is serving as the cathedral of its diocese.

Syra Anglican Chaplaincy

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

Syra, also known as Syros or Siros, is an island in the Cyclades. It had an important port and shipbuilding area with a large British community.

Tamaris sur Mer Anglican Chaplaincy

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

The Chaplaincy was created to serve English tourists visiting the town of Tamaris sur Mer, Toulon, France.

Vitznau Anglican Chaplaincy

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

Vitznau Anglican Chaplaincy was founded to serve the many English tourists visiting Switzerland.

Bindloss , Edward , d 1883 , chaplain

Edward Bindloss was ordained priest in 1837 and, after serving a number of curacies in England, was appointed chaplain to the British Factory (Russia Company) at Archangel, Russia, in 1847.

On 12 June 1861 he married Maria Mathilda Clarke, daughter of Felix Clarke of Archangel, merchant. They had five children, Edward Richard, died 1864; Arthur Henry, born 1863; Mary Alice, born 1865; Amy Helen Maud, born 1868; Edward Alexander Morgan, born 1875. Maria Mathilda Bindloss died in 1881.

Edward retained his post until his death, and resided at Archangel except for periods of leave until 1882, when the death of his wife led the Company to grant him perpetual leave of absence on full pay so as to care for his children in England. He died in 1883.

Butterworth , family , of Coventry and Surrey

Henry Butterworth senior was a timber merchant in Coventry. Henry Butterworth junior is well known as the founder of a publishing firm at 7 Fleet Street in 1818, later known as Butterworth and Company (Publishers). Shortly after 1836 he moved to Upper Tooting in Surrey. The business was taken over on his death by his second son, Joshua Whitehead Butterworth. In 1895 the firm was sold to Shaw and Sons.

Valens Comyn was Clerk to the Chamberlain of St Paul's Cathedral (for his appointment in 1732 see CLC/313/C/001/MS25630/19, f.282); Stephen Comyn later became Steward of the cathedral estates (in 1757; see CLC/313/C/001/MS25630/4, f.132) but none of these records relate to St Paul's.

Crowley , family , of London

John Crowley, Citizen and Draper and Alderman of London, made a large fortune from his business as a dealer in iron goods. When he died in 1728, his widow Theodosia continued the business which was known in 1757 as Crowley and Company. Theodosia's daughter Elizabeth married the Earl of Ashburnham.

Dent , family , watchmakers

Under the terms of the will of Edward John Dent (1790-1853), the business of E. Dent and Company Limited, watchmakers (founded in 1840) was divided between his stepsons with Richard Edward Dent, formerly Rippon, inheriting the business in Cockspur Street. On his death in 1856 the business passed to his wife Marianna Frederica Dent and became independent, trading as M.F. Dent until 1920, when it was acquired by E. Dent and Company Limited. Between 1856 and 1920 the business was run by various members of the Dent family.

Sir John Whittaker Ellis was born in Petersham in 1829. He was an auctioneer and estate agent, as well as holding local government posts including alderman of Broad Street Ward, 1872-1909, sheriff of London and Middlesex, 1874-75, Lord Mayor of London, 1881-82, and mayor of Richmond, 1890-91. He was also a Member of Parliament for Mid-Surrey, 1884-85 and for Kingston Division, 1885-92; a Justice of the Peace; Governor of the Irish Society, 1882-94, governor of various hospitals and the High Sheriff of Surrey, 1899-1900. He was made 1st Baronet in 1882 and was awarded the Order of Mercy in 1900. He died in September 1912.

Information from 'ELLIS, Sir (John) Whittaker', Who Was Who, A and C Black, 1920-2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2007 [http://www.ukwhoswho.com/view/article/oupww/whowaswho/U185738, accessed 2 June 2011].

Greenhill , family

William Greenhill was ordained priest in 1798, having attended Trinity College Oxford.

Gregory , Samuel , 1802-1858 , attorney and antiquarian

Samuel Gregory (1802-1858) was an attorney and a freeman of the Clothworkers' Company. He is often described as "of the Lord Mayor's Office", but he does not appear to have held an official position with the City of London Corporation.

Hall , family , of London

Thomas Henry Hall (1792-1856), Citizen and Feltmaker of London. Thomas Henry Hall was chairman of the City Improvement Committee and was involved in other committees of the City of London Corporation.

Hovenden , Robert , 1830-1908 , antiquarian researcher

Robert Hovenden (1830-1908) of Croydon was a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and master of the Worshipful Company of Barbers. He transcribed and compiled genealogical records and notes in the late 19th century.

Lane , Richard Stuart , fl 1847-1887 , merchant

Richard Stuart Lane was a Baltic shipping agent and London-Baltic merchant of Lane, Hankey and Company, based at 251 Old Broad Street and 8 Chesham Place, SW.

McMurray , William , 1881-1945 , antiquarian

William McMurray (1881-1945), antiquarian, was a vestry clerk of the united parishes of St Anne and St Agnes with St John Zachary. He probably compiled these records in the first half of the 20th century.

Sir William Turner, Citizen and Merchant Taylor, was an Alderman of Castle Baynard Ward; Sheriff, 1662-63 and Lord Mayor, 1668-69. He was also a woollen draper, cloth and silk merchant and most of these records are of his business in the City of London. He also had an estate in Kirkleatham, Yorkshire where he endowed a hospital.

Whellock , Robert Phillips , 1835-1905 , architect

Robert Phillips Whellock (1835-1905) lived in Catford; later in Finsbury Pavement, EC, and Chadwell Heath, Essex. He was elected an associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1879.

Amongst his architectural works were: the design for the billiard room, Polapit Tamar, Launceston, the interior of which was illustrated in The Builder, 2 April 1904; several houses in Launceston; the Central Public Library, Peckham Road, Camberwell, 1892-3; the Mission Hall, Peckham, 1894; the Relief Station, Peckham Park Road, for the Camberwell Guardians, 1896; and the Public Free Library, Old Kent Road, 1896.

In 1901 he published a treatise entitled Pure Water for London, which described his project for supplying water from below the London basin. In connection with the scheme, he exhibited some drawings in the Royal Academy rooms in 1900. For an obituary see The Builder vol. 88 (1905) p.602.

Wright , John , [1770]-1844 , publisher and editor

John Wright was born in Norwich circa 1770, son of a clerk. He was apprenticed to his uncle, a silk mercer, but by 1797 he had established his own business as a bookseller and publisher, based at 169 Piccadilly. He published an anti-Whig journal called Anti-Jacobin, or, Weekly Examiner. However, the journal was not a success and Wright went bankrupt in 1802 and was imprisoned. He was released on terms that indebted him to William Cobbett. Cobbett employed him to supervise production of various serial publications including Cobbett's Weekly Political Register, Cobbett's Parliamentary Debates, Cobbett's Parliamentary History of England, and Cobbett's Complete Collection of State Trials. However, the relationship did not end well, amid allegations of financial mismanagement and negligence ending in arbitration which saw Wright obtain £1000 damages against Cobbett. Thomas Curson Hansard took over publication of the Parliamentary Debates and Wright continued to edit them.

In 1826 Wright began a crusade against the Grand Junction Waterworks Company, which supplied water to the City of Westminster. In March 1827 Wright wrote and published a pamphlet, The Dolphin, or, Grand Junction Nuisance, followed by a monograph in 1828, The Water Question, in which he denounced the quality of the water suppy. The company used water from the Thames, drawn from a suction device (known as a dolphin) situated near the mouth of the Ranelagh common sewer, so that the water was saturated with impurities. The cause was championed in Parliament and supported by doctors and chemists. A royal commission of enquiry followed, and engineer Thomas Telford was appointed to investigate alternative water sources.

In 1830 Wright stopped working for Hansard over problems with the speed at which he worked. He was employed by other publishers to edit works including editions of Byron, Boswell, the speeches of Charles James Fox and the letters of Horace Walpole and William Pitt. Wright died in February 1844.

Source of information: Page Life, 'Wright, John (1770/71-1844)', Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004 [http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/30038, accessed 17 June 2011].

Corporation of Trinity House

The Corporation of Trinity House was incorporated by royal charter in 1514. There is a tradition which dates the existence of Trinity House from the thirteenth century but there is no firm evidence to support this. When the charter was granted, Trinity House had a hall and almshouses at Deptford. Premises were acquired in Ratcliff and Stepney in the seventeenth century and meetings were held at all three sites. The Corporation bought a property in Water Lane in the City of London in 1660 which they then used as their hall. The Hall at Water Lane twice burnt down and was rebuilt, in 1666 and 1714. When it proved too cramped for proposed improvements in the 1790s, the Corporation bought land at Tower Hill on which Trinity House was built 1793-6. The present building retains the 1790s facade but a bomb on 30 December 1940 destroyed most of the rest of the original building which was sympathetically rebuilt in 1952-3.

The Corporation of Trinity House has had three main functions for most of its history:
1) General Lighthouse Authority for England and Wales;
2) Principal Pilotage Authority for London and forty other districts;
3) Charitable organisation for the relief of mariners.
These three functions are described in more detail in the introductory notes to the lighthouse, pilotage and estates and charities records.

The Corporation of Trinity House has had many other functions, largely carried out by the Board of 10 Elder brethren. Elder brethren are elected (for life) from the pool of around 300 Younger brethren who are normally Merchant Navy captains, though a few Royal Navy officers are also admitted as Younger brothers. These other functions have included the supply of ballast to ships in the Thames; sitting in the Court of Admiralty to hear collision cases; examining Royal Naval navigation officers in pilotage; and the examination of Christ's Hospital mathematical scholars in navigation.

City of London Imperial Volunteers , Corporation of London

The City Imperial Volunteers (as they are usually known) or C.I.V. were raised by the Lord Mayor in December 1899 to fight in the Boer War in South Africa. Donations were received from City Livery Companies, bankers and City and West End firms.

Recruits, who were aged between 20 and 30, enlisted for one year. They were all granted the Freedom of the City of London and embarked for South Africa on 13, 20 and 29 January 1900 with another draft in July 1900. They returned home in October 1900 and were disbanded.

The City of London Territorial and Auxiliary Forces Association was formed in January 1908 (as a result of the creation of the Territorial Force in that year). The Association continued until 1968 when, along with other Territorial Associations, it was wound up.

Income Tax Commissioners for the City of London

In 1799 the first general Income Tax Act was passed, as a war tax. It was repealed after the Peace Of Amiens in 1802, although it was rapidly re-instated in 1803/4 as a "Property Tax". This tax in turn lapsed in 1816, until its re-introduction in 1842. The tax was initially levied at the rate of 2 shillings in the pound on all income in excess of £200 per annum.

Customs and Excise Office

The ledgers are arranged alphabetically by names of staff, and give information regarding office held, location within the United Kingdom, annual salary, "insurance", quarterly premium payments, and remarks. Includes "superannuated" as well as active staff.

The letters give permission for the counterfeit books to be donated to the Corporation of Trinity House as additions to the libraries of lighthouse keepers and light vessel crews. There are also two notes, 1967 and 1982, by Customs and Excise staff explaining that these letters were extracted from files (presumably since destroyed) because of the authors' signatures. The authors include Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Frances Hodgson Burnett, Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch and Jack London. The letters do not include any names of lighthouse keepers or light vessel crews.

The Squadron was founded in 1941 to train boys aged 16 to 18, working or studying in the City, as potential recruits to the Royal Air Force. The Lord Mayor was president of the committee which oversaw the recruitment and organisation of the Squadron.

New England Company , missionary society

The New England Company was a missionary society, originally founded by Act of Parliament in 1649 and chartered in 1662 as the "Company for the propagation of the gospel in New England and the parts adjacent in America". The Company sent missionaries and teachers to New England, and later further afield to New York and Virginia. Groups of Commissioners, often prominent local citizens, were appointed by the Company to oversee its affairs in New England, with the Governor of Massachusetts usually acting as Chairman.

The American War of Independence forced the Company to rethink its theatre of operations. Thereafter, efforts were concentrated on native tribes in Canada, and on the West Indies. In the 19th century the Company extended its work in Canada, increasingly in conjunction with local bishops and the Canadian Government's Department of Indian Affairs. In the 20th century, the Company handed over its remaining schools to the Department of Indian Affairs and concentrated on managing its estates in England, the proceeds from which are sent to the bishops in Canada for distribution.

Anglo-Maikop Group , oil mining company

Exploitation of the Maikop oilfield in the Kuban province of southern Russia began in the late 1870s. In 1909 the Anglo-Maikop Corporation was incorporated (with a registered office in London) to give financial assistance to a number of subsidiary companies working the various plots over which it had control. Subsidiary companies established in 1910 included Maikop Midland Oilfields Limited, Maikop Valley Oil Company Limited, Maikop Pipeline and Transport Company Limited, Maikop Refineries Limited, and Black Sea Oilfields Limited. In 1911 Levanovskoe Petroleum Company Limited and Kuban Black Sea Oilfields Limited were established, and Anglo-Maikop Corporation was reincorporated as a limited company.

In 1912 Maikop Combine Limited was formed as an amalgamation of Maikop and General Petroleum Trust Limited, Maikop Areas Limited, Maikop Apsheron Oil Company Limited, and Maikop Hadijensky Syndicate Limited. In 1913 Kuban Refining Company Limited was formed and in 1915 Black Sea Amalgamated Oilfields Limited was formed as an amalgamation of Black Sea Oilfields Limited, Maikop Victory Oil Company Limited and Maikop New Producers Limited.

All of the Anglo-Maikop companies were controlled financially by George Tweedy who was also the first general managing director. In 1913 an interest was acquired in Anglo-Roumanian Petroleum Company Limited (see Ms 24116), which was exploiting the district of Prahova, in Roumania. During the First World War the operations of some of the Anglo-Maikop companies were seriously affected by a scarcity of labour, and work had to be suspended in some areas until after the war.

In 1915 Russo-English Maikop Petroleum and Trading Company was formed in Russia, so that all the group's Russian properties could be transferred to a Russian registered company. However, this was of little benefit towards the long-term prospects of the group as, in January 1918, the Russian oil industry was nationalised by the new Soviet government without any compensation to former owners, whether nationals or foreigners.

Attempts in the 1920s to persuade the Soviet government to permit Anglo-Maikop to restart work on its properties in the Caucasus were largely unsuccessful, and a claim was made to the British government for compensation. Most operations appear to have ceased at this period, and the group was eventually dissolved in 1949. The group had London offices successively at 20 Bishopsgate, 7 Angel Court, 20 Copthall Avenue and 61 Moorgate.

Antony Gibbs and Sons Ltd , merchants and foreign bankers

The business of Antony Gibbs and Son was founded in London in 1808. In 1813 it became Antony Gibbs and Sons, and in 1948 Antony Gibbs and Sons Limited. It was converted into a public company in 1972 and in September 1973 its name was changed to Antony Gibbs Holdings Limited. The company is now owned by the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.

The firm was based at 13 Sherborne Lane, Lombard Street (from ca. 1809), 20 Great Winchester Street (1814-15), 28 Great Winchester Street (1815-26), 47 Lime Street (1826-50) and 15 Bishopsgate, later numbered 22 Bishopsgate (from 1850).

In 1881 Antony Gibbs and Sons absorbed two associated business houses, which had previously been separate firms: a company in Bristol originating in an eighteenth century partnership and trading from 1801 as Munckley, Gibbs and Richards, from 1802 as Gibbs, Richards and Gibbs, from 1808 as George Gibbs and Son, from 1818 as Gibbs, Son and Bright and from 1839 as Gibbs, Bright and Company; and a company in Liverpool founded in 1805 as Gibbs, Thompson and Company and from 1824 as Gibbs, Bright and Company, with two branch houses in Gloucester (1834-42) and Australia as Bright Brothers and Company (1853-81), with an office in Dunedin, New Zealand from 1864.

Under the management of Antony Gibbs and Sons from 1881 these houses were re-organised; the Bristol and Liverpool houses traded as Antony Gibbs, Sons and Company, and the Australian house as Gibbs, Bright and Company.

The company traded overseas under a variety of other names, as follows:
CADIZ, SPAIN: Antony Gibbs and Son, 1808; Antony Gibbs, Son and Branscombe, 1808-13; and Antony Gibbs Son and Co, 1814-27;
GIBRALTAR: Gibbs, Casson and Co, 1818-33;
PERU AND CHILE (LATER ALSO BOLIVIA AND BRAZIL): Gibbs, Crawley, Moens and Co, 1822-4; Gibbs, Crawley and Co, 1824-47; William Gibbs and Co, 1847-79; Gibbs and Co, 1880-1948; Gibbs and Cia S.A.C. from 1948 and Gibbs, Williamson Ltd, from 1933;
NEW YORK: Antony Gibbs and Co, 1913-20; and Antony Gibbs and Co Inc, from 1920.

Archedale , Richard , 1574-1638 , trader

Richard Archedale was born circa 1574 in Cuddesdon, Oxfordshire, son of Bernard and Anne (nee Ferne) Archedale. He gained his freedom of the Drapers' Company in 1596, having been apprenticed to his uncle, Matthew Archedale. He had tenements, possibly a warehouse, in Elbow Lane [also called College Street] in addition to family and property in Oxfordshire. He traded extensively in wine, chiefly French and Spanish, cloth, dried fruit, oil and spices with customers in London, Westminster and Southwark. Among his customers were many prominent City merchants and individuals involved in government, including Lord Mayor Richard Deane (1628-29) and alderman Richard Garway. He married Judith Thorpe, and died in 1638 in Chipping (High) Wycombe.

Arthur Brown and Co x ABCO Petroleum Ltd

Arthur H Brown founded a company in 1860 trading in naval stores, turpentine, tallow etc. The firm is first listed in the trade directories in 1864 at 15 Rood Lane, before moving in 1867 to 44 Eastcheap. In 1871 the firm was bought by William Thompson Burningham, and moved to 26 Great St Helen's. It is listed as a firm of petroleum and colonial brokers. On Burningham's death the firm was taken on by his son, W J Burningham. It moved successively to 95 Bishopsgate Street (1880-9), 70 and 71 Bishopsgate Street (1890-1910), 91 and 93 Bishopsgate Street (1911-14), 36 Camomile Street (1915-18), 126 Bishopsgate Street (1919-25), Bevis Marks House (1926-35), Staple Hall, Stone House Court (1936-41), Bishops Avenue, N2 (1942-5), Bevis Marks House again (1946-62) and Lee House, London Wall (1963-7). Its primary concern was the trade of oil petroleum and wax. The firm expanded significantly after World War I when they became one of the first importers of Russian oil. In 1968 ABCO Petroleum Ltd, as it had become known, became a subsidiary of the Sinclair Oil Corporation.

Various.

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) is the trade body for insurance companies in the UK. It was formed in 1985 on the merger of the British Insurance Association, the Life Offices' Association, the Fire Offices Committee and the Accident Offices Association. The Association has around 400 companies in membership. The work of the ABI includes policy formulation, research and statistics, and public relations representing the insurance industry. It also organises conferences and seminars and publishes reports. The ABI is based at 51 Gresham Street in the City of London.

From: http://www.abi.org.uk/About_The_ABI/role.aspx

The success of the Fire Offices' Committee, which had been established in 1868 to consolidate existing rating agreements and to continue to supervise the rating of fire risk insured by the "Tariff Offices" (those insurance companies which had agreed to a common tariff of premiums), led its members to try to restrict competition through a similar tariff body for accident insurance - the Accident Offices Association. (An earlier attempt to regulate companies involved in liability insurance, the Accident Offices' Committee formed in 1894, had proved largely ineffective).

The Accident Offices Association was established on 11 June 1906. It was formed largely in response to the Workmen's Compensation Act of 1906 to advise manufacturers, traders and others about the new responsibilities and liabilities imposed by the act. The Workmen's Compensation Act of 1897 had introduced the principle of automatic compensation for all accidents in some categories of hazardous occupations; the 1906 Act extended the principle to all workers. Every employer was now at risk and became a potential policy holder. A tariff for workmen's compensation insurance was established in 1907 and subsequently other tariffs were issued: for private car insurance in 1914, for commercial vehicles in 1915 and for motor cycles in 1920; for fidelity guarantee insurance in 1914; and for plate glass insurance in 1920.

The Accident Offices Association provided executive and secretarial services for a number of other associations of insurance companies whose records have been preserved with its own archives. It managed the Livestock Offices Association (established 1912), an association of companies involved in livestock insurance which administered a livestock tariff from 1916 until it was transferred to the Accident Offices Association in 1939. The Engineering Offices Association administered a tariff for engineering insurance from 1920, the year it was formed. The association also managed the Aircraft Insurance Committee (established 1919 and apparently wound up in 1935), the Building Society Indemnities Committee (an association of companies involved with mortgage guarantee insurance established in 1925), the Coal Pool (established c 1907 for sharing and adjusting colliery claims; known as the Colliery Pool from 1935 when it seems to have been taken over by the Accident Offices Association), the Debris Clearance Pool (established in 1941 to rate the risks involved in the clearance of sites damaged by enemy action) and the Home Office Vehicles Pool (also set up in 1941 for the sharing of risks arising out of the issue of insurance policies for fire service and smoke protection vehicles).

Member insurance companies of the Accident Offices Association were also involved in accident business abroad. A Foreign Motor Committee was established in 1920 and this was absorbed into the Accident Offices Asssociation (Overseas) constituted in 1937. Insurance companies interested in the tariff situation in South Africa had formed their own association, the South African Accident Council, in 1915. Its records include copy minutes and papers of several South African bodies: local associations such as the Cape Accident Offices Association and the Transvaal Accident Offices Association which merged as the Workmen's Compensation Insurers' Association of South Africa in 1935; and national bodies such as the Accident Offices Association of Southern Africa (established in 1944) which replaced the Workmen's Compensation Insurers' Association, and absorbed the Southern Rhodesian Workmen's Compensation Insurers' Association and the workmen's compensation business of the Accident Insurance Council of South Africa (established by the South African Accident Council in 1925). The Accident Offices Association serviced both the Accident Offices Association (Overseas) and the South African Accident Council.

In addition to administering the various tariffs, the Accident Offices Association became a forum for member companies to exchange views on matters of common interest. The association also acted in a wider capacity, liaising with bodies such as the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents and the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, and also with government departments. The Accident Offices Association role with regard to tariffs ceased on 1 January 1969, when, under the threat of monopolies legislation, all tariffs were dissolved. This led to the emergence, on 3 July 1974, of a reconstituted organisation with a greater number of accident offices participating. The Accident Offices Association was abolished on 30 June 1985 and its functions transferred to the Association of British Insurers.

The Accident Offices Association was housed from 1906 to 1911 in the offices of a firm of chartered accountants. In 1911 it moved to 54 New Broad Street; in 1914 to Thames House, Queen Street Place; in 1928 to 60 Watling Street; in 1959 to 107 Cheapside; and in 1963 to Aldermary House, Queen Street.

Aircraft Insurance Committee

The Accident Offices Association provided executive and secretarial services for a number of other associations of insurance companies. It managed the Aircraft Insurance Committee, which was established 1919 and apparently wound up in 1935.

British Insurance Association

The formation of an association of insurance offices of all types of business was suggested at a meeting of the Fire Offices Committee on 28 July 1916. Initially, a sub-committee was set up to monitor legislation affecting insurance companies, while an association of composite offices was being formed to consider "questions affecting the interests of insurance both at home and abroad". In 1917, this resulted in the British Insurance Association, with a brief to provide information and express views to government departments and other bodies requiring help or advice on insurance problems, and to monitor affairs worldwide which might affect member offices. This was felt to be particularly important in the years immediately after World War I. During the 1920s the Association's work declined, but the worldwide economic and political crises of the 1930s revived interest in its functions as an umbrella organization with wider scope and powers, including investment protection. It became actively involved in liaising with various Boards and legislative committees, such as the Cassel Committee on compulsory insurance.

Until 1956, the BIA mainly worked through its chairman and the General Purposes Committee, who were empowered to act when necessary. The General Purposes Committee devolved many of its functions to sub-committees co-opted from members with relevant expertise, and these in turn delegated to sub-sub-committees. In 1956, these sub-committees were renamed committees, and their subsidiaries consequently became sub-committees. From 1945, the BIA also represented its members' interests in matters concerning nationalization, and successfully negotiated several agreements with nationalized bodies. It was also closely involved with work on metrication, decimalization, company law, health and safety.

The BIA's nationalisation work had shown it that public opinion was a potent force, and it accordingly began a public relations programme of lectures, films and press releases about insurance matters, as well as participating in major exhibitions in Britain and abroad. Until 1953 the BIA had no offices of its own. From 1918 to 1937 it was at St Michael's Rectory, Cornhill, the business address of its secretary. In 1937 it moved to 19a Coleman Street, the headquarters of the Equitable Life, and also the business address of its chairman. In 1953 it moved to Estates House, 66 Gresham Street; in 1957 to Barrington House, 59-67 Gresham Street; and for a few weeks in 1962 to Abacus House, 33 Gutter Lane, before finally moving on 30 June 1962 to Aldermary House, Queen Street. This building also housed a number of other insurance associations.

In 1985, the British Insurance Association was abolished and its functions transferred to the Association of British Insurers.