Harrisons and Crosfield Equipment Company Limited was registered in 1959 in Montreal, to supply equipment to industrial concerns. It was a subsidiary company of Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112). In 1968 Harrisons and Crosfield Limited disposed of its interest in the Company.
Harrisons and Crosfield Securities Limited, an investment holding company, was registered in 1958. It was a wholly owned subsidiary of Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112). It held shares in many of Harrisons and Crosfield Limited's companies, including Chandler, Hargreaves, Whittall and Company Limited (CLC/B/112-032), Harrisons and Crosfield (Hong Kong) Limited (CLC/B/112-070), Technical Advisory and Services Company Limited (CLC/B/112-154), and Irwin Harrisons and Whitney Incorporated (CLC/B/112-089). In 1967 it acquired control of Durham Chemical Group Limited (CLC/B/112-046). The Company is last mentioned as a subsidiary in the annual report and accounts of Harrisons and Crosfield Limited in 1989.
Harrisons Malaysian Estates (Holdings) Limited was registered in 1977 as a holding company for Harrisons and Crosfield Limited. The firm never commenced business and went into voluntary liquidation in 1984/5.
In 1976 Peddie Plantations Sdn Bhd was registered as a private limited company. In November 1976 the name was changed to Harrisons Plantations Sdn Bhd, and then in July 1982 to Harrisons Malaysian Plantations Berhad. It became a public company in May 1977.
In 1982 the company acquired Harrisons Malaysian Estates PLC (and its subsidiaries) (CLC/B/112-079), Barlow Plantations Sdn Bhd and Jomalina Sdn Bhd. In 1984 it acquired:
Castlefield (Klang) Rubber Estate Limited (CLC/B/112-030),
Doranakande Rubber Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-035),
Edensor Rubber Estate Limited (CLC/B/112-049),
Holyrood Rubber Limited (CLC/B/112-084),
Kinta Kellas Rubber Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-096),
Kuala Selangor Rubber Company (CLC/B/112-097),
Malaysia Rubber Company (CLC/B/112-114),
Nalek Rubber Estate Limited (CLC/B/112-118) and
Sungei Bahru Rubber Estate Limited (CLC/B/112-147).
Harrisons and Crosfield sold most of its holding in the company in 1982, and the remaining stock in 1989.
Harrisons Ramsay Proprietary Limited (importer of tea, coffee and other produce) was registered in 1914 in Australia to amalgamate the tea business in Australia and New Zealand of Fraser Ramsay Proprietary Limited, Fraser Ramsay (New Zealand) Limited, Harrisons and Crosfield Limited's Melbourne office (which opened in 1910), and Harrisons and Crosfield's New Zealand business. It was re-registered in 1916 and again in 1920 with an altered capital structure. It had a head office in Melbourne, and offices in Brisbane, Sydney and Wellington.
In the 1920s the imports were extended to jute, lentils and other foodstuffs, in the 1930s a soft-goods department was created and in the 1940s new departments for timber, metal and chemicals were set up. Its name was changed in 1962 to Harrisons and Crosfield (A.N.Z.) Limited (a new company with a nominal capital was formed with the title Harrisons Ramsay Proprietary to preserve the name and goodwill attached to it). In 1975 the name was changed to Harrisons and Crosfield (Australia) Limited and the operations in New Zealand were controlled by a separate company called Harrisons and Crosfield (N.Z.) Limited.
In 1928 Harrisons Ramsay Proprietary Limited was involved in the formation of Coconut Products Limited, and it held half the share capital. It also held a large interest in Robur Tea Company (see CLC/B/112/MS38098-101). In 1953 the company's holdings in Harrisons and Eastern Export were transferred to Harrisons and Crosfield Limited. For historical notes on the company see CLC/B/112/MS37389.
Holyrood Rubber Limited was registered in 1912 to acquire the Titi Ijok rubber estate in Selama, Perak, Malaya. Harrisons and Crosfield Limited replaced Bright and Galbraith as secretaries of the company in 1952. Harrisons and Crosfield (Malaya) Limited (CLC/B/112-071) acted as local agents from 1953.
In 1982 Holyrood Rubber Limited became a PLC (public limited company). In 1984 it was acquired by Harrisons Malaysian Plantations Berhad (CLC/B/112-080) and it became resident in Malaysia.
Hong Kong Tin Limited was registered in 1927 in England to acquire mines or rubber interests anywhere in the world, but it carried out tin ore mining in Selangor, West Malaysia. Harrisons and Crosfield and Harrisons Malaysian Plantations Berhad (CLC/B/112-080) acted as agents and secretaries until 1983. In 1982 the company was re-registered as a PLC (public limited company).
In 1984/5 Hong Kong Tin PLC became a subsidiary of Hong Kong Tin Corporation (Malaysia) Berhad (a Malaysian registered public investment holding and management company), which was known as YTL Corporation Berhad from 1988. From 1985 Hong Kong Tin's mining activities were dormant and it acted only as a management consultancy.
I.T.M. Syndicate Limited was registered in 1922. The company was involved in improvements in tea manufacture in Ceylon [Sri Lanka] and Southern India. Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112) acted as secretaries for the company. In 1929 I.T.M. Syndicate went into voluntary liquidation.
Kellas Limited was registered in 1906 to acquire the Kellas estates in Perak, Malaya. In 1910 two subsidiary companies were formed: Kinta Kellas Rubber Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-096) and Klian Kellas Tin and Rubber Company Limited, which took over the the estates. In 1913 the company was acquired by Mount Yagahong Exploration and Finance Company Limited.
Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112) did not act as secretaries / agents of this company, but it held 400,000 shares in Kinta Kellas Rubber Estates Limited and 200,000 shares in Klian Kellas Tin and Rubber Company Limited.
Rubber Estates of Johore Limited: This company was registered in 1906 to acquire estates in Johore, Malaya. In 1947 it was acquired by Lanadron Rubber Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-105), which in turn was acquired by London Asiatic Rubber and Produce Company (CLC/B/112-103) in 1960.
In April 1960 First Limator Limited was registered; in May it was renamed London Sumatra Plantations Limited. It acted as a holding company of various plantation estates companies. In 1960 it acquired
Allied Sumatra Plantations Limited (CLC/B/112-018),
Asahan Rubber Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-020),
Deli Estates Engineering and General Union Limited (CLC/B/112-042),
Lankat Rubber Company (CLC/B/112-102),
Mendaris (Sumatra) Rubber and Produce Estates (CLC/B/112-115),
Soengei Rampah Rubber and Coconut Plantations Company (CLC/B/112-144),
Tandjong Rubber Company (CLC/B/112-153),
Toerangie (Sumatra) Rubber and Produce Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-155), and
United Serdang (Sumatra) Rubber Plantations Limited (CLC/B/112-159).
In 1961 it acquired
Bah Lias Rubber Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-023),
Bajoe Kidoel Rubber and Produce Company (CLC/B/112-024),
Central Sumatra Rubber Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-031),
Djasinga Rubber and Produce Company (CLC/B/112044),
Kulai Rubber Estate Limited (CLC/B/112-098),
Namoe Tongan Rubber Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-119),
Sialang Rubber Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-143) and
United Lankat Plantations Company (CLC/B/112-158).
It acquired Nalek Rubber Estate Limited (CLC/B/112-118) in 1964, and Auxiliary Investments Limited (CLC/B/112-021) in 1967/8.
London Sumatra Plantations Limited became a PLC (public limited company) in 1982. In 1984 it became a wholly owned subsidiary of Harrisons and Crosfield Limited until 1994 when it was sold off.
Malayalam Plantations (Holdings) Limited was registered in 1977 to acquire the share capital of Malayalam Plantations Limited (which was registered in 1921 to acquire properties in Southern India). In 1978 all the shares in the company were acquired by Harrisons and Crosfield Limited. In 1982 Harrisons and Crosfield Limited sold 34% of the equity to Indian nationals.
Malayalam Plantations Limited was registered in 1921 to reconstitute Malayalam Rubber and Produce Company Limited (registered in August 1909 to acquire properties in southern India). In 1923 Malayalam Plantations Limited acquired East India Tea and Produce Company, Meppadi Wynaad Tea Company and Wallardie Tea Estates Limited. In 1928 it acquired Mooply Valley Rubber Company Limited.
In 1977 Malayalam Plantations Limited was taken over by Malayalam Plantations (Holdings) Limited (CLC/B/112-112). For lists of the company's estates see CLC/B/112/MS37071. See also CLC/B/112/MS38066 for plans of the company's estates.
Malaysia Rubber Company was registered in 1905 to acquire estates in Perak, Malaya. Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112) became secretaries of the company in 1918. In 1982 Malaysia Rubber Company became a PLC (public limited company). The company became resident in Malaysia for tax purposes in 1984 and it was acquired by Harrisons Malaysian Plantations Berhad (CLC/B/112-080).
See also CLC/B/112/MS37840 for minutes of special joint board meetings, 1968-9.
Mendaris (Sumatra) Rubber and Produce Estates Limited was registered in 1911 to acquire the Laut Tabor and Mendaris estates in the district of Deli on the east coast of Sumatra. In 1960 it was acquired by London Sumatra Plantations Limited (CLC/B/112-110), and in April 1982 it became a private company.
Midland Aggregates Limited, a company owning sand and gravel deposits, was a wholly owned subsidiary of Wilkinson Rubber Linatex Limited (CLC/B/112-166).
New Crescent (Holdings) Limited was registered in 1957 as an investment company holding investments mainly in plantations companies operating in West Malaysia. In 1972 Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112) took over from Taylor, Noble and Company as secretaries of New Crescent (Holdings) Limited. The company was wholly owned by Sungei Bahru Rubber Estates Limited (CLC/B/112-147). See also CLC/B/112/MS37838 for circulars and other papers relating to the company.
Oriental Tea Company was based in Melbourne, Australia, with branches in Sydney and Brisbane. Robur Tea Company (CLC/B/112-134) held shares in the company.
Pataling Rubber Estates Limited was registered in 1920 to reconstitute Pataling Rubber Estates Syndicate Limited (registered in 1903) and to acquire estates on the Klang River near Kuala Lumpur, Malaya. Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112) acted as secretaries from 1903.
Pataling Rubber Estates Limited acquired Pernambang Rubber Estates Limited (in 1933), Ulu Ayer Tawar Company Limited (1936), Anglo Malay Rubber Company (1952), Bikam Rubber Estate Limited (1952), Strathisla (Perak) Rubber Estates Limited (1956) and Jugra Land and Carey Limited (1959/60). In 1977 the company became resident in Malaysia for tax purposes, and was acquired by Harrisons Malaysian Estates (CLC/B/112-079). In April 1982 it became a private company.
Robur Tea Company was registered in 1928 to take over the tea businesses of R J Alcock, James Service and Company and Robur Tea Company Limited (of which James Service and Company were proprietors). It had a head office in Melbourne, Australia, and a branch in Sydney. The company had a holding in Oriental Tea Company Limited (CLC/B/112-122).
For historical notes on the company see CLC/B/112/MS37392. See also the records of Harrisons Ramsay Proprietary (CLC/B/112/MS37842-92) which held a large interest in Robur Tea Company.
Sengat Rubber Estate Limited was registered in 1910 to acquire estates in the Kinta district of Perak, Malaya. Harrisons and Crosfield Limited replaced Shand, Haldane and Company as secretaries and agents of the company in 1954. In 1957 Sengat Rubber Estate Limited was acquired by Grainger, Born and Company, and Harrisons and Crosfield Limited resigned as secretaries and agents.
Sumatra Tea Estates Limited was registered in 1925 to acquire estates in the Simeloengoen district of East Sumatra. From 1937 it was wholly owned by Rubber Plantations Investment Trust. In 1953 it went into voluntary liquidation.
T.R.S. Limited was registered in 1957 as an investment company. It was a subsidiary of Rubber Plantations Investment Trust Limited. T.R.S Limited was dormant from 1980, and in 1986 it went into voluntary liquidation.
Tanah Datar Rubber Estates Limited was registered in 1912 to acquire Tanah Datar and Doesoen estates in the province of Batoe Bahara, Sumatra, Indonesia. Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112) replaced Bright and Galbraith as secretaries and agents of the company in 1952. It held this post until 1967.
Technical Advisory and Service Company Limited was formed in 1963 as general engineering consultants. It was a wholly owned subsidiary of Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112-001-016). One of its principal activities was the selling, on an agency basis, of palm oil processing machinery.
United Lankat Plantations Company was registered in 1899 to acquire Tjermin and Brahrang estates and the Lankat Plantations Company Limited (registered in 1887). In 1920 it sold 28,000 acres of its tobacco estate. In 1961 it was acquired by London Sumatra Plantations Limited (CLC/B/112-110).
United Serdang (Sumatra) Rubber Plantations Limited was registered in 1907 to acquire Begerpang and Namoe Rambei estates in Serdang, Sumatra. In 1927 it took over Amalgamated Rubber and General Estates Limited and Amalgamated (Rubber) Development Co Limited.
Its estates and assets in Sumatra were vested in N.V. Landbouw Maatschappij Senggoro, N.V. Nagodang Rubber Maatschappij and N.V. Vereenigde Plantage Maatschappij. In 1960 it was acquired by London Sumatra Plantations Limited (CLC/B/112-110); in April 1982 it became a private company.
Universal Rubber Paviours Limited, manufacturer of rubber paving, was registered in 1928, and reconstituted in 1935. It had factories in Audenshaw, near Manchester, and Stockport. Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112-001-016) acted as secretaries for the company.
Zaloni Tea Estates Limited was registered in 1910 to acquire Zaloni Tea Co Limited (registered in 1907 in India). Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112) became secretaries and agents of the company in 1954. In 1976 the company was acquired by Warren Plantation Holdings Limited.
This firm of merchants had premises successively at 15 and 18 Lawrence Pountney Lane.
Hodder and Stoughton's importance in publishing history has been well-documented by John Attenborough in A Living Memory. Hodder and Stoughton, Publishers, 1868-1975 (London, 1975) [a copy of which is held in the Printed Books Section of Guildhall Library].
The company made a major contribution to the publishing of popular fiction, especially through its famous Yellow Jacket series, as well as being important theological publishers.
The archives also include papers of some of the firm's subsidiary or associated publishers, such as Edward Arnold Ltd, and the Brockhampton Press; and subsidiary or associated periodicals, such as The Bookman and The British Weekly. The company's fairly complicated administrative history involving these subsidiary and associated companies is described in John Attenborough's history.
The company's offices were: 27 Paternoster Row, 1868-1906; St Paul's House, Warwick Square, 1906-76; Dunton Green, Kent, 1976-.
Hodder and Stoughton Limited merged with Headline Book Publishing in 1993 to become Hodder Headline Plc.
Efforts to consolidate the extensive international investments of the Inchcape family and the directorships and partnerships held by the third Earl of Inchcape resulted in the public launch of a parent holding company, Inchcape and Company Limited, in 1958.
Interests in merchant trading, shipping and agency houses had been built up since 1874 when James Lyle Mackay (from 1911 the first Earl of Inchcape) joined the Calcutta-based merchant and agency firm of Mackinnon, Mackenzie and Company, established in 1847 by William Mackinnon. Mackinnon's business empire extended beyond India to Australia, the Middle East and East Africa. Founder of the British India Steam Navigation Company Limited (whose historic records are at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich) and the Australasian United Steam Navigation Company Limited, he also set up agency firms at strategic ports (Gray, Dawes and Company in London; Gray, Mackenzie and Company and Gray, Paul and Company in the Persian Gulf; and Smith, Mackenzie and Company in Zanzibar) to handle the passenger and merchandise cargo carried alongside the Royal Mail.
As Mackinnon's commercial heir, Mackay had risen by the 1890s to the position of partner within the firm. He had also begun a personal investment portfolio, buying major shareholdings in Indian tea estates (among them Assam Estates Company Limited, Greenwood Tea Company Limited, Northern Dooars Tea Company Limited and Salonah Tea Company Limited), textile firms (Binny and Company Limited) and their English and Indian managing agents (Macneill and Company, Duncan Macneill and Company, Barry and Company and J B Barry and Son) and in two river steamer companies (Rivers Steam Navigation Company Limited and India General Steam Navigation Company Limited) and their managing agents (Kilburn and Company). Before 1958, there was no structural link between the majority of these companies, whose common denominator was the Inchcape family interest in them. However, after the Second World War, change was necessary, especially in newly independent India, for reasons of taxation and other economic restrictions placed on foreign companies. The option finally decided on by the third Earl of Inchcape was for a rationalisation of holdings and the incorporation of those retained into a single publicly quoted company based in London rather than India.
After the launch of the Inchcape Group in 1958, the group expanded very rapidly, both by the development of existing companies and their range of activities, and by the purchase of other groups: among them, the Borneo Company Limited in 1967, Dodwell and Company Limited in 1972, Anglo Thai Corporation in 1975 and Assam Company Limited in 1980.
The London headquarters of Inchcape and Company Limited was at 40 St Mary Axe, 1960-88, and St James House, 23 King Street, Westminster, 1988-.
This company was one of the constituent companies of the Inchcape Group. The Bhooteachang Estate is situated in the district of Darrang, in Assam, India.
Encouraged by the prospect of economic expansion in Sarawak, Borneo, Robert MacEwan and Robert Henderson, Glasgow merchants with well-established interests in the South China seas, and John Charles Templer, a lifelong friend of Rajah Brooke of Sarawak, combined to launch the Borneo Company in 1856. The firm's foreign headquarters were in Singapore, and, in addition to Sarawak, it soon traded in general commodities all over the Far East: in Calcutta, the Dutch East Indies (Java and Sumatra), Hong Kong, Malaya [Malaysia] and Siam [Thailand]. Of these, the operations in Sarawak and Siam were probably the most significant.
SARAWAK: Under a royalty agreement concluded with the Sarawak treasury in the mid 1850s, the company was authorised to exploit all the country's mineral deposits. Initially, operations concentrated on the extraction of antimony ore, but, from the 1870s, company prospectors added cinnabar, coal and, most lucratively, gold to the range of minerals mined. In addition, the company developed a banking and agency business, ran a mint for the Rajah, and experimented with miscellaneous crops such as sago, indigo, tobacco, pepper and rubber. Close contact with the first and successive rajahs allowed for great diversification of interests and the operation of a commercial monopoly in the company's favour until the Second World War.
SIAM [Thailand]: A branch opened in Bangkok in 1856 following introductions made to King Mongkuk by the Danish explorer Ludwig Verner Helms. Activity included rice milling and trading; the export of sugar, salt and tin and import of calico, metals, marine stores and opium; wharfage work; and agency business. The value of these miscellaneous trades was however small in comparison with the profit derived from the extraction of teak in the northern districts. Upcountry branches at Chiengmai and Raheng directed forest operations from the 1880s onwards under the terms of successive teak leases. By 1914, the company had its own sawmill in Bangkok, and was exporting steadily to Europe, India and the Far East. Trade in teak continued relatively undisturbed until the Second World War.
The firm became a limited company in 1890. From 1922, the company was quoted on the London Stock Exchange. Increasing emphasis on the distribution of motor vehicles led in 1925 to the formation in Singapore of the subsidiary Borneo Motors Limited. The firm took over motor distribution in Singapore, Malaya, Sarawak and Brunei.
After the Second World War, during which many Far Eastern staff were incarcerated by the Japanese, the company continued to expand into Brunei, North Borneo and Canada.
In 1966, the firm became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Inchcape Group of trading companies.
The Borneo Company had offices at 25 Mincing Lane, 1856-9; 7 Mincing Lane, 1859-74; 28 Fenchurch Street, 1874-[1932]; 143-149 Fenchurch Street, [1932]-1955; 62-63 Mark Lane, 1956-1967; 40 St Mary Axe, 1967-1988.
The company was established in 1885 as a subsidiary of British India Steam Navigation Company (whose historic records are at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich) and put into liquidation in 1903-1904. The directors met at the offices of Gray, Dawes and Company (CLC/B/123-30), British India's London agents. The firm's steamers operated between the United Kingdom, India and Queensland, Australia.
Bulkships Limited was a shipping company of Melbourne, Australia.
This company traded as spinners and manufacturers of jute in Bengal, India, and was part of the Inchcape Group of companies.
This company, operating in Assam, India, was part of the Inchcape Group.
This company traded as general merchants and shipping agents and was London agent for India General Navigation and Railway Company (CLC/B/123-33). It was part of the Inchcape Group.
This company acted as shipping agents and managers of Australasian United Steam Navigation Company (see CLC/B/123-07). Both companies were part of the Inchcape Group of companies.
This company of ship brokers and agents, formerly known as Mackay, Lynch and Company, was part of the Inchcape Group of companies.
This company, growers and manufacturers of tea in Assam, India, was part of the Inchcape Group of companies.
This company of jute manufacturers, of Calcutta, India, was part of the Inchcape Group of companies.
This company was part of the Inchcape Group of companies.
This company, operating in Assam, India, 1909-79, was part of the Inchcape Group of companies.
This company of tea growers and manufacturers, operating in Assam, India, was part of the Inchcape Group of companies.
The Institute of London Underwriters (ILU) was established in 1884 as the trade association for insurance companies transacting marine, aviation, and transport business in the London market. Although comparable in some respects to other representative market bodies, it differed from many of these in that it was concerned with the day-to-day business of the market as well as matters of policy. The governing body of the Institute was the Committee of fifteen, elected from among the nominated representatives of its member companies. The Committee in turn elected a Chairman and Deputy Chairman, both normally serving for two years.
The Institute was at first simply an association of underwriters working in the London market. It stemmed from informal meetings of London underwriters to discuss mutual problems. The underwriters recognised that more formal association would be helpful in many ways, such as providing an official channel for talks with governments, shipowners or even other insurers. From the earliest days, the Institute took a dominant role in trying to improve a variety of clauses in general use. Until the Second World War, the Institute remained a small secretariat concerned with promoting its members' interests in general rather than providing services to help process their business. However, the shortage of civilian labour during the Second World War led to the formation of a central Policy Department in October 1942, and the Institute's role began to grow substantially. During 1946, the Institute's Articles of Association were extended to comprise vessels, aircraft, cargoes, freight or other objects of marine, aviation and transit insurance. Lloyd's underwriters were included in membership in the early years, but Lloyd's Underwriters' Association was founded as a separate body in 1909. Nevertheless, the Institute continued to provide a secretariat to deal with questions of interest to the market as a whole. This led to a system of joint ILU/Lloyd'scommittees to monitor topics of interest in particular fields. The Joint Hull Committee was formed in 1910 to discuss all matters connected with hull insurance.
The Technical and Clauses Committee (formed 1925) drew its members from company and Lloyd's underwriters and claim adjusters, to act on mandates from the main committees to revise existing clauses or introduce new ones. The War Risks Rating Committee (formed 1935) monitored situations which might affect the insurance of war risks for cargoes. The Joint Cargo Committee (formed 1942) dealt with insurance of cargo by air as well as by sea.
The Institute was situated at 4 Royal Exchange Buildings (1884-7); 1 St. Michael's House, Cornhill (1887-1930); 37/39 Lime Street (1930-56); 40 Lime Street (1956-86); and 49 Leadenhall Street (1986-98). In 1965 a subsidiary office was opened in Folkestone, to house the Policy Department and accounting centre. In December 1998 the ILU merged with the London International Insurance and Reinsurance Market Association (LIIRMA) to form the International Underwriting Association of London.
In the letterheads of this company, the establishment date is given as 1830. However nothing is known of the business before c 1841 when Joseph Carter established his business as a carpenter, builder and decorator in Wellington Street, Clerkenwell. In Kelly's trade directory for 1877 Joseph Carter is described as a furniture dealer at 12 and 34 Lime Street, with additional premises at 13 Lime Street. Following the death of Joseph Carter in 1877, William Albert Bird took over the business under the name Joseph Carter and Company. The name was changed to J. Carter and Company in c 1897 and to J Carter and Company (Lime Street) Limited in c 1948. The business was described as office furnishers, fitters, removers and decorators. In late 1973 the company ceased trading in its own name and bought shares in DSI Design Group Limited.
In 1976 the share holding in DSI Design Group Limited was sold, thus severing connections with the company. In the same year, J. Carter and Company (Lime Street) Limited changed its name to J Carter and Company (Lime Street) (Holdings) Limited. A new trading company was created (financed from the Holdings Company) using the old name J. Carter and Company (Lime Street) Limited and trading from 15 Dock Street, London. These premises were sold in 1986 and in 1987 the company moved to 29/30 Sidney Grove, off Wakley Street. In 1995 the trading company was closed but the Holdings company remained active, operating merely as an investment company. Most of this information has been taken from F G Bird, A family history : a history of J Carter and Company and its association with the Bird family (2000), available in the Printed Books Section of Guildhall Library.
The company was based at 1 Wellington Street, Clerkenwell (later known as Lever Street) (ca.1841-1862), 14 Leadenhall Market (1862-8), 12 Lime Street (1868-1973), 15 Dock Street (1973-86), and 29/30 Sidney Grove, EC1 (1987-95). Between 1894 and 1900 the company moved the works from Leadenhall Place to 12 Sheppey Place, and also took on premises at 1 Fenchurch Avenue, which continued into the 1920s. The Sheppey Place works were moved to Dock Street in Stepney in 1921.
J Tylor and Sons was founded by John Tylor, a Quaker, who was free of the Armourers' and Brasiers' Company in 1778. (The company histories - see MS29374 - mention "Joseph" Tylor and "1777" but do not make any reference to sources. The London trade directories consistently show John Tylor.)
The firm became a limited company in 1892, known as J Tylor and Sons Ltd but underwent two more changes of name, to Tylors (Water and Sanitary) Ltd in 1920 and Tylors of London Ltd in 1947. At first the company specialised in manufacturing tea-urns but gradually expanded its range of items. In the late 19th century J Tylor and Sons were known as hydraulic and sanitary engineers and brass founders and produced water meters, diving suits, soda syphons and urinals as well as many other items. The company appears to have responded quickly to new and growing markets and to have dropped unprofitable lines. In the 20th century a line of bathroom requisites was developed, the motor-car trade appeared briefly and in 1956 all sanitary connections were dropped altogether.
The firm merged with HRI Flowmeters in 1956 and in 1958 became a subsidiary of an American firm, Crane Ltd. In 1975 both firms were incorporated into the General Electric Company.
The firm was based at 75 Wood Street 1778-93; 3 Cripplegate Buildings 1794-1828; College of Physicians, Warwick Lane (later called 2 Newgate Street) 1829-91; 2 Newgate Street and Belle Isle, King's Cross 1892-1907; Belle Isle and 232 Tottenham Court Road 1908-56; and at Burgess Hill, Sussex from 1956.
The London office of JW Doane and Company was opened in 1893 at 21 Mincing Lane in 1899 and closed in March 1905, after the apparent failure of the head office of the company in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Although the company was described in directories as "merchants", the business of the London office was strictly that of a coffee broker.
These notes are based on London directories and information taken from the archives themselves; nothing relating to the company could be found in secondary sources.