Mostrar 15888 resultados

Registo de autoridade
Greenough , George Bellas , 1778-1855 , geologist

Born, 1778; educated: Eton College; Dr Thomson's school in Kensington; Pembroke College, Cambridge; University of Göttingen, 1798-1801. Geological and mineralogical exploration in Cornwall, Ireland, and Scotland, 1801; Excursions with both artistic and scientific aims in France, Switzerland, and Italy, 1802 and again in 1816; organised the production of a geological map of England and Wales, 1820; founder member and president of the Geological Society of London, 1807-1813, 1818-1820 and 1833-1835; co-ordinating the publication of a geological map of the Indian subcontinent; President of the Royal Geographical Society, 1839 and 1840; died, 1855.

Publications: A Critical Examination of the First Principles of Geology, 1819.

Born, 1881; educated, Exeter College, Oxford, 1900; travelled in the Sahara, 1903; expedition to Kasai region of the Congo with Emil Torday; expedition to North Africa to study the Shawia Arabs, 1912; Royal Army Service Corps, 1914-1918; died, 1938.

Stannus , Hugh Stannus , 1877-1957 , physician , Major

Hugh Stannus Stannus, consulting physician and specialist in tropical diseases was appointed Medical Officer to the King's African Rifles in British Central Africa [Malawi], in 1905 and carried out research into various tropical diseases particularly pellagra and sleeping sickness. He made an intense study of anthropology and ethnology and published a monograph on the Wa-Yao people. He was elected FRCP in 1931. In 1914 he became principal medical officer of the Nyasa-Rhodesian forces operating in Southern German East Africa [Tanganiyka (Tanzania)].

Long , Richard Charles Edward , 1872-1951 , solicitor

Born, 1872; BA, Trinity College, Dublin, 1894; solicitor, 1897-1951; published many articles on anthropology, particularly on the Maya calendar; Fellow of the Royal Anthropological Institute; died, 1951.

James Philip Mills was born in 1890 and educated at Winchester School and Corpus Christi College, Oxford. In 1913 he joined the Indian Civil Service and served in North-East India until 1947. He was Sub-divisional officer at Mokokchung in the Naga Hills of Assam from 1917-1924 and Deputy Commissioner, based at Kohima, during the 1930s. In 1930 he married Pamela Vesey-Fitzgerald.

In 1930 he was appointed the Honorary Director of Ethnography for Assam. His first monograph, The Lhota Nagas, was published by the Government of Assam in 1922, followed by The Ao Nagas in 1926 and The Rengma Nagas in 1937. In 1942 he was awarded the Rivers Memorial Medal of the Royal Anthropological Institute for anthropological fieldwork among the Nagas. In 1943 he was appointed as Advisor to the Governor for Tribal Areas and States, with overall responsibility for tribal matters in North-East India. This appointment enabled him to travel among and study for the first time tribal people living north of the Brahmaputra towards the Tibetan frontier, and to give permission to his good friend Christoph von Furer-Haimendorf, and also Ursula Graham-Bower, to enter this closed area and carry out their pioneering studies.

Mills was elected to the Council of the Royal Anthropological Institute in 1948 and served as its President from 1951-1953. In 1948 he became Reader in Language and Culture with special reference to South-East Asia at the School of Oriental and African Studies. Here he worked with Christoph von Fürer-Haimendorf from the inception of the Department of Cultural Anthropology in 1950 until ill health forced his retirement in 1954.

Bernard Deacon was born, 1903, in Nicolaiev, south Russia, where his father was the representative of a shipping firm; came to England, 1916; education: Nottingham high school, Trinity College, Cambridge, 1921-1925; conducted antropological fieldwork on the island of Malekula in the south Pacific archipelago of the New Hebrides (later Vanuatu) where he gained a working command of at least three Malekulan languages, 1926-1927; he also spent six weeks on the neighbouring island of Ambrym, 1927; died of malaria, 1927.

There was a clear need for a London exhibition gallery as early as 1949 to accommodate large international exhibitions, which other European capitals were able to do with ease. The Arts Council of Great Britain (ACGB) founded 1945, the incorporated successor of the Council for Encouragement of Music and the Arts (CEMA), had made use of other galleries for large exhibitions.
In 1958, the London County Council announced its intention to build an exhibition gallery on the South Bank to provide a space for large exhibitions. They generously agreed to lease the gallery to the Arts Council at a peppercorn rent. The Gallery was designed by the Greater London Council's Department of Architecture and Civic Design led by Geoffrey Horsefall. It was completed by the end of 1967, and the Greater London Council (successor to the London County Council) named it the Hayward Gallery in honour of Sir Isaac Hayward whose personal initiative and was largely responsible for the complex of buildings devoted to the arts on the South Bank.

The Queen opened the Hayward Gallery and its first exhibition - a retrospective of paintings of Henri Matisse - on 9 July 1968.

In 1987 responsibility for managing the Hayward was transferred from the Arts Council to the South Bank Centre, along with the Council's Visual Arts Exhibition Department and the Arts Council Collection, and the Hayward became a client of the Arts Council. The Hayward continued to house and administer the Arts Council Collection, begun in 1946 and comprising more than 7000 works by British artists, on behalf of the Arts Council.

The Hayward's programme concentrates on four areas, including single artist shows, historical themes and artistic movements, art of other cultures and contemporary group shows, as well as running programmes of educational activities including tours, lectures and workshops. The Hayward also organises National Touring Exhibitions with about 25 shows annually touring all over Britain, and every five years mounts a large-scale exhibition known as The British Art Show.

Hayward exhibitions include: Matisse (1968); Frescoes from Florence (1969); Rodin (1970 & 1987); Bridget Riley (1971 & 1992); Lucian Freud (1974 & 1988); the series of Hayward Annuals (1977-1986); Dada & Surrealism Reviewed (1978); Thirties (1980); Edward Hopper (1981); Picasso's Picassos (1981); Renoir (1985); Leonardo Da Vinci (1989); Andy Warhol (1989); The Other Story: Afro-Asian artists in post-war Britain (1989); Art in Latin America (1989); Richard Long (1991); Toulouse-Lautrec (1992); Magritte (1992); The Art of Ancient Mexico (1992); Yves Klein (1995); Howard Hodgkin (1996); Art and Power (1995); Anish Kapoor (1998); Bruce Nauman (1998); Lucio Fontana (1999); Paul Klee (2002)

James Theodore Bent; born Baildon, Yorkshire, 1852; educated at Malvern Wells, Repton School and Wadham College Oxford (BA 1875); married 1877 Mabel Virginia Anna, daughter of Robert Hall-Dare. Between 1877 and 1897 the Bents travelled extensively in Greece, Italy, Turkey, Russia, India the Persian Gulf, Central Africa, Abyssinia and the Arabian peninsula. Bent died in London in 1897, from pneumonia following on malarial fever, which developed after his return from Aden.
Publications: Theodore Bent:The Life of Garibaldi, 1881; The Cyclades, or Life amomg the Insular Greeks, 1885; The Ruined Cities of Mashonaland, 1892; The Sacred City of the Ethiopians, 1893; articles in the Archaeological Journal, the Journal of Hellenic Studies, the Journal of the Anthropological Institute. Mabel Bent: Southern Arabia, 1900 (contains extensive material from Theodore Bent's journals).

Ehrenberg , Victor Leopold , 1891-1976 , ancient historian

Victor Leopold Ehrenberg: born Altona, Germany, 1891; studied Architecture at Stuttgart (1911-1912) and Classics and Ancient History at Gottingen (1912-1914), Berlin (1914) and Tubingen, (1919-1920); served in German Army on Western Front, 1914-1918, awarded Iron Cross, 2nd Class, 1914; Dr. phil, 1920; Privatdozent, University of Frankfurt, 1922; Nichtbeamter ausserordentlicher Professor, University of Frankfurt, 1928; Professor of Ancient History, German University, Prague, 1929-1939; emigrated to Britain, 1939, awarded grant by the Society for the Protection of Science and Learning; Classics Master, Carlisle Grammar School, 1941; Lecturer in Ancient History and Greek, King's College, Newcastle-upon-Tyne (University of Durham), 1941-1945; Senior Classics Master, Bootham School, York, 1945-1946; Lecturer, later Reader in Ancient History, Bedford College, University of London, 1946-1957; died 1976. Married 1919, Eva Sommer, 2 sons [Sir Geoffrey Rudolph Elton and Prof Lewis Elton]
Major Publications: Die Rechtsidee im fruhen Griechentum, Leipzig, 1921; Ost und West, Brunn, 1935; Alexander and the Greeks, Oxford, 1938; The People of Aristophanes, Oxford 1943; Aspects of the Ancient World, Oxford 1945; Sophocles and Pericles, Oxford, 1954; The Greek State, Oxford 1960; From Solon to Socrates: Greek History and Civilisation during the Sixth and Fifth Centuries BC, London, 1967; numerous articles, book reviews and obituaries.

The Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies, generally known as the Hellenic Society, was founded in 1879 to advance the study of Greek language, literature, history, art and archaeology in the Ancient, Byzantine and Modern periods. The first President was J B Lightfoot, Bishop of Durham, Vice Presidents included Lord Morley, Sidney Colvin, and R C Jebb and members of the Council included Sir Charles Dilke MP, Prof B H Kennedy, A J Balfour MP, Oscar Browning and Oscar Wilde.
The Journal of Hellenic Studies was first issued by the Society in 1880 and is internationally recognized as one of the foremost periodicals in the field of Classical scholarship. It contains articles on a wide variety of Hellenic topics, and reviews of recent books of importance to Greek studies. The supplement, Archaeological Reports provides fully illustrated accounts of archaeological work in Greece and other parts of the world that were sites of Greek culture.
The Society is established, together with the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies in the premises of the Institute of Classical Studies of the University of London. The Society helps to maintain the Joint Library, in conjunction with the Roman Society and the Institute of Classical Studies.

Jones , Arnold Hugh Martin , 1904-1970 , historian

Arnold Hugh Jones was educated at New College Oxford. He was reader in ancient history from 1929 to 1934 at the Egyptian University of Cairo before returning to Oxford. He was appointed professor of ancient history at University College London in 1946 and then at Cambridge five years later. Among Jones' books were A History of Abyssinia (1935), Constantine and the Conversion of Europe (1948) and Athenian Democracy (1957).

Institute of Classical Studies

The Institute of Classical Studies was founded in 1953 by the Senate of the University of London as a partnership between the University and the Hellenic and Roman Societies. The Portrait Collection has been built up over many years, and is constantly updated.

Roman Society Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies

The Societry for the Promotion of Roman Studies, generally known as the Roman Society, was formed in 1910, to advance the study of the history, archaeology and art of Italy and the Roman Empire from thew eariest times down to about AD 700. It is the sister society of the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies, founded in 1879.
The Society publishes two journals, the Journal of Roman Studies, first published in 1911, which contains articles and book reviews dealing with the Roman world in general, and Britannia, first published in 1970, which has articles and reviews specifically on Roman Britain, and two associated series of monographs.
The Society is established, together with the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies in the premises of the Institute of Classical Studies of the University of London. The Society helps to maintain a Joint Library, of around 100,000 volumes and over 540 current periodicals, in conjunction with the Hellenic Society and the Institute of Classical Studies.

Tilly , Bertha , d 1980 , classicist

Bertha Tilly: Educated at Bedford College London, (BA 1924, MA 1932, PhD 1940); later Headmistress Ely High School for Girls; died 1980.
Publications: (ed)Virgil's Aeneid Book IX,London, G Bell (Alpha Classics), 1938; Vergil's Latium, Oxford, Blackwell, 1947 [represents in a revised form together with some additions, a thesis approved for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the University of London in 1940]; The Story of Camilla from Aeneid Books VII and XI, Cambridge, 1956; Virgil's Aeneid Book V, London, University Tutorial Press, (Palatine Classics) 1966; Virgil's Aeneid Book IV, London, University Tutorial Press, (Palatine Classics) 1968; Varro the Farmer, A Selection fron the Res Rusticae, London, 1973.

Robert Wood: born Riverstown Castle, Co. Meath, Ireland, c 1717; travelled extensively in Europe and the Middle East, 1738-1755; under-secretary to William Pitt, 1756; elected MP, 1761; elected member of the Society of Dilettanti, 1763; died 1771. Publications: The Ruins of Palmyra, London, 1753 and The Ruins of Baalbek, 1757.
James Dawkins: born Jamaica, eldest son of Henry Dawkins of Laverstoke, Hampshire; educated at St John's College, Oxford; succeeded to his father's estates, 1744; travelled extensively in Europe and the Middle East, 1742-1751; MP, 1754; died Jamaica, 1757.
John Bouverie: born c 1722, son of Sir Christopher Des Bouveries of London; educated at New College, Oxford; made 3 visits to Italy between 1741 and 1751, and assembed a considerable collection of prints, drawings, engravings, cameos and medals; died at Guzel Hissar, Turkey, 1750, and buried at Smyrna.
Giovanni Battista Borra (1712-1786) was an artist, architect, landscape designer and draughtsman.

Beaumont Animals' Hospital

The Beaumont Animals' Hospital of the Royal Veterinary College (RVC)was opened in 1933 in Camden as a small animal practice for undergraduate teaching. Building work had started the previous year in 1932. £25,000 came from the will of a wealthy Yorkshire lady - Mrs Sarah Martin Grove-Grady, the daughter of J Beaumont of Huddersfield and the rest of the money (£225,000) was raised, much of it in copper coins given by local people. The hospital was kept open during the Second World War when the rest of the College was evacuated. The small animal referral and equine work moved to the RVC Potters Bar site in 1958. The Beaumont remained in Camden as the RVC's general practice.

Born, 1870; educated at Burton grammar school; left school to work for his uncle's coal business; articled apprentice to Alfred Hodgkins, veterinary surgeon; Royal Veterinary College, London, 1888-1892; resident hospital surgeon at the Royal Veterinary College, 1892; entered private practice with Arthur Blake, of Redhill, [1893]; unior professor, in charge of the outpatients' department and the teaching of materia medica and later hygiene, Royal Veterinary College, 1893-1899; FRCVS, 1897; John Henry Steel medal, 1899; private practice in Kensington with Frank Ridler, 1899-1927; honorary veterinary surgeon to Queen Alexandra, 1912-1939; veterinary officer to King Edward's Horse, army veterinary corps, 1914; in command of no 22 Veterinary Hospital at Abbeville in France, 1915-1916; took the hospital to Italy, 1916; returned to Kensington practice, [1919]; president of the section of comparative medicine of the Royal Society of Medicine, 1924-1926; served on the Council of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, 1925-1939; Principal of the Royal Veterinary College, 1927-1937; knighted, 1933; honorary fellow of the Royal Society, 1937; returned to practice as a consultant, 1937-1938; died, 1939.

Simonds , James Beart , 1810-1904 , veterinary surgeon

Born, 1810; educated at Bungay Grammar school; Veterinary College in Camden Town, London, 1828-1829 and also attended external lectures; joined his uncle Robert Beart's veterinary surgery at Bungay, 1829-1836; inherited a veterinary practice in Twickenham, 1836; founder member of the Veterinary Medical Association, 1836; member of the English (later Royal) Agricultural Society, 1838; first Professor of Cattle Pathology at the Veterinary College in London, 1839; consulting veterinary surgeon to the Royal Agricultural Society, 1839-1904; active in the movement for obtaining the charter to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons; head of the veterinary department of the Privy Council, 1865-1871; President of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, 1862-1863; Principal of the Royal Veterinary College, 1872-1881; completed the incorporation of the Royal Veterinary College by royal charter, 1875; retired 1881 and farmed and served as a JP; died, 1904.

Priory Medical Society, Hampstead

The Priory Medical Society was founded in 1890, the first Chairman was Dr Thomas Morton. It was a local medical society with 15 members, all medical practitioners working in the Hampstead area, some members held consultant posts at Hampstead General Hospital and the Children's Hospital, Hampstead. The Society met fortnightly between October and April at members' homes. Each member was required to present a paper, or cases or pathological specimens in each session. The Society's activities were suspended in October 1939, it is not known if it was reformed after the war.

Mary Désirée Waller: Born 21 Oct 1886, daughter of Professor Augustus Waller and Alice (née Palmer); educated at Cheltenham Ladies College, 1901-1903 and Bedford College, London, 1906-1911; BSc, University of London, 1911; carried out research work in physics at the University of London Physiological Laboratory and the Royal College of Science, 1912; Demonstrator (1912-1915), Lecturer (1915-1942) and Senior Lecturer (1942-1947) in Physics, London (Royal Free Hospital) School of Medicine for Women; PhD, University of London, 1941; died 11 Dec 1959. Publications: Chladani Figures, A Study in Symmetry, (G Bell & Sons, London, 1961); more than 30 articles, mainly on Chladani figures and the vibration of free plates in the Proceedings of the Physical Society, the Proceedings of the Royal Society, Nature, Acustica and other journals.

Augustus Desiré Waller: Born Paris, 1856, son of Augustus Volney Waller, MD, FRS; educated at Collège de Genève; University of Aberdeen, (MB, 1878, MD, 1881); lecturer in Physiology at London School of Medicine for Women, 1883 and St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, 1884; FRS 1892; Director, University of London Physiology Laboratory, 1903-1922; Professor, University of London, 1912; married 1895, Alice Mary, dau. of George Palmer MP; died in London, 1922. His research interests were in the emerging field of electro-physiology, in which he made useful contributions to the study of fatigue in muscle, and the nature of cardiac potentials. He made the first recording of the human electrocardiogram in 1887. Publications: Introdution to Human Physiology, 1891, Animal Electricity, 1897; Signs of Life, 1903; Physiology, the Servant of Medicine, 1910; The Psychology of Logic, 1912.

Mary Frances Lucas was born in 1885, the daughter of G J Lucas. She was educated at Eversley, Folkestone and the London (Royal Free Hospital) School of Medicine for Women, graduating MB, BS 1911 and DSc 1938. She was appointed Lecturer in Embryology and Senior Demonstrator in Anatomy at the School in 1914; and became Reader and Head of Department in 1919. She was Professor of Anatomy from 1924-1951; Vice-Dean 1926-1929; Acting Dean 1939-1943; and President from 1957 until her death. She was appointed Emeritus Professor of the University of London, 1951; President of the Medical Women's Federation, 1946-1948 and President of the Anatomical Society, 1949-1951. She married Richard Keene, in 1916 and adopted the surname Lucas Keene in 1917. She died in 1977.
Publications: Practical Anatomy, (1932) Anatomy for Dental Students, (1934);

Piercy , John E (Jack) , 1899-1986 , surgeon

Jack Piercy (1899-1986) was a Canadian by birth who had come to Britain after World War One . He was appointed Surgeon-Superintendent at New End Hospital, Hampstead in 1932. He became eminent for his research and pioneering treatment into diseases of the thyroid, establishing New End as a world-renowned centre for endocrinology, especially after the opening of the Endocrinology Department in 1955. He was awarded the CBE on his retirement from New End in 1966.

Symons , Cecil , 1921-1987 , physician and cardiologist

Cecil Symons (1921-1987) was a physician and cardiologist at the Royal Free Hospital. In 1946 he was appointed Casualty Medical Officer at Hampstead General Hospital. He became Senior Medical Registrar at Hampstead General in 1951, and First Assistant to the Cardiac Department at the Royal Free in 1956. In 1961 he was appointed Consultant Physician at New En Hospital, and in 1968 he also became Consultant Physician and Cardiologist at the Royal Free. On his retirement in 1987 he became Honorary Consultant Physician and Cardiologist, but died a few days later. He is best remembered for his wide-ranging interests, and his activities in the fields of art and collecting of antique medical equipment. He was involved in many extra-mural activites both within the hospital and the local community, and instituted the Works of Art committee and the annual Marsden lecture. He also commissioned the artist Peter Jones in 1972 to make a series of pictorial representations of the old hospitals which were to be demolished to make way for the building of the new Royal Free. These are now held in the Archives Centre, and known as the Symons Bequest.

George Qvist was born in 1910 and educated at Quintin School and University College Hospital, London (MB, BS, 1933). He was appointed Surgical Registrar at the Royal Free Hospital, London, (RFH), 1939-1941. During World War Two he served as a Surgeon in the Emergency Medical Service, 1941-1944, and as a Lt Col (Surgical Specialist) in the Royal Army Medical Corps, serving in Europe and the Middle East, 1944-1946. He returned to the RFH as Surgeon, 1946-1961 and Senior Surgeon, 1961-1975 and acted as Surgical Tutor at the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, 1946-1975. He also held Consultant posts at Willesden General Hospital, 1956-1975 and the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital, 1950-1975. He was a member of Court of Examiners, Royal College of Surgeons, 1951-1957. He married Frances Valerie Gardner, Consultant Physician, RFH in 1958. He was appointed a Fellow of University College London, in 1975 and died in 1981. Publications: Surgical Diagnosis, 1977, various papers on surgical subjects.

Frances Valerie Gardner was born in 1913 and educated at Headington School, Oxford, Westfield College London (BSc, 1935) and the London (Royal Free Hospital) School of Medicine for Women (MB, BS 1940, MD 1943). She was appointed Medical Registrar, at the Royal Free Hospital, 1943-1945; MRCP 1943; Clinical Assistant, Nuffield Department of Medicine, Oxford, 1945-1946, Fellow in Medicine, Harvard University, USA, 1946 and Consultant Physician at the RFH, 1946-1978. She also held consultant posts at the Hospital for Women, Soho Square, London, the Mothers' Hospital, London, and the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital. FRCP 1952; She married George Qvist, Consultant Surgeon, RFH, in 1958. She served as Dean of the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine (RFHSM), 1962-1975 and President, RFHSM, 1979-1989. She was Chairman, of the London/Riyadh Universities Medical Faculty Committee, 1966. She was awarded the DBE 1975 and FRCS 1983. Publications: Papers on cardiovascular and other medical subjects in the British Medical Journal, The Lancet and the British Heart Journal.

Hampstead Health Authority

Following National Health Service reorganisation in 1982, Area Health Authorities were abolished and District Health Authorities were the level of management under Regional Health Authorities. Hampstead Health Authority contained units of management (UMTs) including the General Acute Unit (basically the Royal Free) and UMTs for other services such as New End or Friern Hospitals. The Hampstead Health Authority District Medical Committee included representatives from the District General Hospital (Royal Free), General Practitioners, and the Community and Mental Health teams.

Longmoor Baby Week Committee

Longmoor Camp was established in 1930 as a permanent military station. Occupying over 40 acres, in Greatham, Hampshire, near the Petersfield-Farnham road, 2 miles north of Liss. The camp included the garrison church of St. Martin, a Roman Catholic chapel, a military hospital, school and welfare centre. In 1930 the Camp was home to about 1000 soldiers and their families, mainly from the Royal Artillery, and the Royal Engineers Railway Training Centre.

The National Baby Week Council was established in 1917, with the slogan 'It is more dangerous to be a baby in Britain than it is to be a soldier'. The purpose of the campaign was, in part, to give women the education that the government thought they needed in order to be mothers. The Council ran competitions and awarded prizes to the communities which held the most effective Baby Week campaigns.

William Marsden was born in Sheffield in August 1796. He moved to London, 1816, and became apprentice to Mr Dale, a surgeon practicing in Holborn. He trained at the Anatomical School of Joshua Brookes in Blenheim Street, and at St Bartholomew's Hospital under John Abernethy. In 1820 he married Elizabeth-Ann Bishop and also became a member of the Worshipful Company of Cordwainers. He obtained membership of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1827. His inability later in that year to obtain hospital treatment for an 18 year old girl, whom he found on the steps of St Andrew's Church, Holborn, almost dead of disease and starvation, turned his attention to the question of hospital relief. At that time treatment was only given to patients with a governor's letter. In 1828 he set up a small dispensary, the London General Institution for the Gratuitous Cure of Malignant Diseases, in Greville Street, Hatton Garden. The Institution initially met with great opposition, but in 1832 its value became widely recognised as it alone, of all the London hospitals, received cholera patients. After the epidemic the in-patient beds remained, and the hospital changed its name to the London Free Hospital. In 1842 the hospital moved to the Light Horse Volunteers Barracks in Gray's Inn Road. Marsden was senior surgeon of the hospital, and in 1838 he obtained the degree of Doctor of Medicine from the University of Erlangen. In 1846 Elizabeth-Ann Marsden died of cancer, and in 1851 Marsden opened a small house in Cannon Row, Westminster, for patients suffering from cancer. Within 10 years the institution moved to Brompton, and became known as the Cancer Hospital, of which Marsden was also the senior surgeon (The Hospital was renamed the Royal Marsden in 1954). In 1846 he married Elizabeth Abbott, daughter of Frances Abbott, a solicitor and member of the RFH Committee of Mamagement. Marsden died of bronchitis in 1867.

Alexander Edwin Marsden was born on 22 Sept 1832, the son of William and Elizabeth-Ann Marsden. He was educated at Wimbledon School and King's College London. He became a licenciate of the Society of Apothecaries, 1853; and MRCS 1854;. He joined the army in 1854 as staff assistant surgeon, and served in the Crimean War. On his return to Britain he was appointed surgeon to the Royal Free Hospital, where he was also curator of the museum and general superintendent. At the Cancer Hospital he was surgeon, 1853-1884, and consulting surgeon, 1884-1902. He married his cousin Catherine Marsden in 1856. He was awarded the degree of Doctor of Medicine by the University of St Andrews, 1862; and was elected FRCS, 1868. In 1898 he was elected Master of the Worshipful Company of Cordwainers. He died 2 July 1902.

The British National Committee (BNC) was established to provide for British representation at the International Congresses of Historical Sciences. The first Congress was held in Paris, 1900, followed by Rome, 1903, Berlin 1908. In 1913, the BNC organised the Congress in London, the only International Congress held in Britain.

In 1923, following a conference on historical sciences in Brussels, 1923, the International Committee of Historical Sciences (ICHS) was formed. It was officially chartered in 1926 in Geneva.

The members of the BNC are nominated from accredited constituent bodies which include professional societies and associations representing a range of general and specialist historical interests in Britain (not including Northern Ireland). The Committee is also supported by the majority of British universities (or their History departments) through annual subscriptions, though the universities are not directly represented on the Committee.

The BNC constitution has been amended at various time to take account of the changing structure of the profession. In 1972 the BNC became a committee of the British Academy (The national academy for humanities and social sciences), and in 1980, a number of recently formed societies were added to its constituent membership.

International Committee of Historical Sciences holds an International Congress, meeting every five years in a different city of the world. The BNC, representing historians in Britain, is entitled to send one voting and one non-voting representative to the General Assembly of the Congress which meets immediately before and after each Congress, and on one occasion between Congresses.

Organisation of bilateral conferences with historians in other countries is another task of the BNC. Since the 1950s, these have taken place regularly at two to three year intervals, taking place alternately in Britain and in a partner country.

After 1993, the BNC ceased to be a committee of the British Academy From the 1960s to the 1990s, the BNC secretariat was located at the Institute of Historical Research, London. In 1993, the administration of the BNC was transferred to the Royal Historical Society by the retiring director of the Institute of Historical Research.

Camden Society , 1838-1897

The Camden Society was founded on 15 Mar 1838, at the home of John Bowyer Nichols, parliamentary printer, and proprietor of Gentleman's Magazine, during a meeting presided over by Thomas Amyot, secretary of the Slave Compensation Commission and Treasurer of the Society of Antiquaries. Others present at this first meeting included John Bruce, John Payne Collier, Rev Joseph Hunter, historian and PRO staff member; Sir Frederick Madden, Keeper of Manuscripts at the British Museum, Thomas Stapleton, genealogist, Thomas Wright, editor of early texts.

The meeting resolved to found a society for the publication of early historical and literary remains, to be called the Camden Society. (Not to be confused with the Cambridge Camden Society founded in 1839, and from 1846 known as the Ecclesiological Society). The Society was to be governed by a President and a Council of twelve members and including a Treasurer and Secretary. Membership of the Society was by annual subscription of £1, and an annual meeting was to be held on the 2 May - the birthday of William Camden (1551-1623, historian and antiquary). It was proposed to publish unedited manuscripts as well as republish selected scarce printed books. Copies of the publications were to be sent to every member and surplus stock to be offered publicly. The Society also determined that distinct works be published separately, allowing the individual to bind them in their own chosen arrangement.

At the first meeting of the new Society on 22 March 1839, a Council was elected, with Lord Francis Egerton as President, John Bruce as Treasurer and Thomas Wright as Secretary. Membersip increased rapidly, and in less than a month the Council determined to print 500 copies of and edition of Bruce's Historie of the arrivall of Edward IV in England, and Payne Collier's edition of Bishop Bale's Kynge Johan. By July of the same year, the membership list was close to 500. This same year it was proposed that Queen Victoria should be asked to be Patron. Prince Albert joined the Society in 1843 and remained a member till his death in 1861.

The first general meeting, 2 May 1839, raised the membership limit to 1000, which was in increased to 1250 by Mar 1840. Candidates even had to wait until death or resignation caused vacancies. However, this pressure seems to have slackened by about 1845, and by 1851, only 750 copies of editions were being printed, and membership afterward dropped to between 300-400.

The rules of the Society agreed in 1839, also enlarged the scope of the Society so as to permit the printing of translations, and provided for the appointment of a director who could act as vice-president.

The business of the Council consisted mainly of membership approval, selection of works for publication and copyright. In Jun 1838 decided to send copies to the five great libraries, and Mar 1839 decision that all publication should be entered at Stationers' hall. Another issue the council faces was the responsibility of the Society for the opinions of its editors, and in May 1839, the ruled that the Council must see proofs of each work issued, especially the prefaces.

A number of libraries were admitted as members of the Society and obtained a set of publications, the first being the London Library in 1842, followed by the Chetham Library, Manchester, in 1850, the Marylebone Public Library in 1854, and the Westminster Public Library in 1857.

The society played a part in the agitation, 1848-1869, to secure access for literary inquirers to early wills in courts and district registries, and opposed the imposition of fees for literary searches among wills. In 1865, it successfully advocated the use of photography for making facsimile copies of wills.

The Camden Society's outstanding contribution is Albert Way's edition of Promptorium parvulorum one of the earliest works projected by the Society but only completed in 1865. Other publications were undertaken jointly with the Early English Text Society (founded 1864). The Camden Society was facing financial difficulties by the early 1880s, exacerbated by a failed project to compile a general index to the first 100 volumes that it had printed. The Society by then had only 183 paying members. By 1892, the membership had risen slightly to 237 subscribers, but by 1994 was £95 in arrears from subscribers which could not be recovered.

In 1896 it was suggested that the Society amalgamate with the Royal Historical Society, and that united membership of the two societies would be large enough to support the annual publication of two Camden volumes and one of the RHS proceedings. A joint committee of the two societies appointed to consider this proposal reported favourably in 11 Mar 1896. In December of the same year, the Society formally adopted, and practical arrangements made at the final Council meeting on 28 Apr 1897.

Geoffrey Rudolph Elton (Ehrenberg) was born in Germany in 1921, the son of Victor Leopold Ehrenberg and his wife Eva Sommer. The family emigrated to England in 1939. Elton was educated at the University of London and began teaching at Cambridge in 1949, the same year he was awarded PhD. He became Fellow of Clare College, Cambridge, 1954, Professor of Constitutional History at Cambridge, 1967-1983 and Regius Professor of Modern History from 1983-1988.
Elton was President of the Royal Historical Society, 1972-1976. As a scholar of Tudor administrative history, Elton reassessed historical conceptions of the Tudor era. He was Knighted in 1986, and died 3 Dec 1994.
Publications include The Tudor Revolution in Government (1953); England under the Tudors (1955), The Tudor Constitution (1960), Reformation Europe (1963), Reform and Renewal (1973), Reform and Reformation: England 1509-1558 (1977), The Parliament of England 1559-1581 (1986), and The English (1992).

George Walter Prothero was born in Wiltshire, 14 October 1848, the eldest son of Rev. Canon George Prothero, Whippingham, Isle of Wight, and Emma nee Money-Kyrle, of Homme House, Herefordshire. He was educated at Eton, King's College Cambridge and the University of Bonn. He was Bell Scholar, 1869 and obtained 1st class in the Classical Tripos, 1872.

He was Assistant Master at Eton, and university lecturer in history and tutor at King's College, Cambridge 1876-1894. In 1894 he was appointed to the newly created chair of modern history at Edinburgh University, but in 1899 moved to London to take up the editorship of the Quarterly Review. He was President of the Royal Historical Society 1901-1905.

Other appointments included; Lecturer under University Extension Scheme at Nottingham, Leicester; Rede Lecturer (Cambridge), 1903; Lowell Lecturer (Boston), and Schouler Lecturer (Johns Hopkins), 1910; Chichele Lecturer (Oxford), 1920; Governor of Holloway College, 1916; Member of Royal Commission for Ecclesiastical Discipline, 1904-1906; Director of the Historical Section, Foreign Office, 1918-1919; Member of the British Peace Delegation, 1919; Pres., Royal Historical Society; Corresponding Member of Massachusetts Historical Society; Foreign Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (Boston); Member of Société d'Histoire Modern (Paris); Hon. LLD Edinburgh and Harvard; Officer of the Crown of Belgium, 1919.

He married 1882, Mary Frances, daughter of late Dr Samuel Butcher, Bishop of Meath. Awarded KBE 1920; MA, LittD (Cambridge); FBA 1903. Prothero died in 1922.

Publications:
Life and Times of Simon de Montfort, 1877; edited [Histoire du] siécle de Louis XIV, Francois Marie Arouet de Voltaire, Pt. 1, Voltaire, 1694-1778 (Cambridge University Press 1879) and Histoire du siecle de Louis XIV. par Voltaire Pt II Voltaire. 1694-1778, edited by Gustave Masson, and G. W. Prothero, (Cambridge University Press 1879); Le Directoire considérations sur la révolution française, troisiéme et quatriéme parties with a critical notice of the author ... and notes ... by Gustave Masson and G W Prothero, Anne Louise Germaine Necker Staél-Holstein (Mme. de Staél), (Cambridge University Press 1881); translation of vol. I of Ranke's Weltgeschichte, 1883; A memoir of Henry Bradshaw, Fellow of King's College, Cambridge, and University Librarian, (London, Kegan Paul, Trench, 1888); Select Statutes and other constitutional documents illustrative of the reigns of Elizabeth and James I (Oxford, Clarendon Press 1898); editor of Sir J. R. Seeley's Growth of British Policy, 1895; British History Reader, 2 vols 1898;
co-editor of the Cambridge Modern History, 1901-1912; editor of the Cambridge Historical Series; School History of Great Britain and Ireland (to 1910), 1912; Commemorative addresses on Sir Alfred Comyn Lyall by G W Prothero and on Edward Henry Pember by W.J. Courthope, (London, Oxford University Press. 1912); Catalogue of war publications compiled by G W Prothero with the assistance of Alex J Philip, (London, John Murray, 1916); German policy before the war (John Murray, 1917); A lasting Peace (London, Hodder and Stoughton 1917); editor of the series of Peace Handbooks issued by the Foreign Office, 1920; contributor to Encyclopædia Britannica and the Dictionary of National Biography.

Royal Historical Society , 1868-1997

The Royal Historical Society (RHS) was founded on 23 Nov 1868, at a meeting at Somerset Chambers, the Strand, at office of Louis Charles Alexander, accountant and banker.
Those present at this meeting included Alexander's business partners Gibson and Rae, as well as Rev Dr Charles Rogers, Dr J E Carpenter, and Rev Samuel Cowdy. A constitution and laws for the Royal Historical Society of Great Britain were approved, with the objects of conducting historical, biographical and ethnological investigations. A pattern of regular meetings was established, the Archbishop of York - William Thompson, was designated President, and others proposed as Vice-Presidents and members of Council. Rogers was appointed Histroiographer and Alexander, Secretary.
The Archbishop declined the presidency, and the Society continued without a President until its first Annual general Meeting, Jan 1870, when George Grote, President of the University College and Vice-Chancellor of the University of London, was elected. At this time, its was agreed that a volume of Transactions should be published, and that permission be sought for the use of the prefix 'Royal' as described in the Society's constitution, but abandoned in practice.

There is some dispute about the validity of the minutes of the first Annual General Meeting and it appears that Rogers by underhand methods ousted Alexander from his post to consolidate his own position, was elected a life member, awarded an annual stipend and soon after took up the position of Honorary Secretary. This was followed by a public subscription in 1873 to procure the erection of a house for Rogers in recognition of his literary and public services. As well as this he was granted a gratuity for unpaid labours between 1868 and 1872, and successive salary raises and gratuities between Nov 1873 and 1876.

In Jan 1870, the Society had a membership of approximately 50, including associations, honorary members and corresponding members. That same year the Society amalgamated with the Provincial Record Association, in 1874, the English Reprint Society, and 1876, the British Genealogical Institute, in all of which Rogers had some involvement.

The Society's first publication was its Transaction, issued in two parts in 1871 and 1872, though not being strictly limited to papers read to the Society. By the end of 1872, membership had reached 100. In Nov 1872, 158 Fellows were elected at a single meeting of Council.

The society was not initially a professional society with professional standards. The average attendance at the ordinary meetings of Council from 1870-1878 was only 4, of which one was always Rogers. Papers were read to more numerous gatherings. A library collection was begun and in 1877, comprised mainly the Transactions of European and American historical societies.

Criticism of the Society's affairs was finally heard at a meeting of the Council in 1878 - that membership was too cheap, annual accounts were unsatisfactory, the subscriptions had not been invested, only one publication a year had been forthcoming, and the Society was spoken of amongst literary circles with anything but respect. Public denigration of the Society in the pages of the Atheneum, 1879-1880 sparked change, and a Committee of Enquiry was established in Jan 1881. Rogers instant resignation was demanded, and after further meetings, finally implemented. Following this upheaval the government of the society was put on a more regular footing, new regulations and financial arrangements adopted, and gradually gained the support of those interested in historical research in London, Oxford and Cambridge.

In 1886 the Society co-operated with the Public Record Office and the British Museum, in the Domesday Commemoration proceedings, and initiated a Conference of Historical Teaching in Schools.

Royal patronage was granted to the Society in 1888 and Royal Charter of Incorporation in 1889. This same year, the by-laws were revised, and in 1890 a Finance Committee appointed, followed by a Library Committee in 1891. The office of Director was also approved and Hubert Hall appointed, a post he held for 47 years.

The Society was fully involved in events for the commemoration of the centenary of the death of Edward Gibbon (1737-1794), historian and scholar in 1894, when Patrick Edward Dove, Secretary since 1882, apparently committee suicide. It was also revealed that money belonging to the RHS, as well as the Seldon Society of which Dove was both Treasurer and Hon Secretary had disappeared. However, the loyalty of the members sustained the Society, the Director took over the secretary's duties.

Falling membership of the society during the 1890s, and the approach of the Camden Society proposing amalgamation between the two societies in1896, was not unwelcome. The proposal was approved at a Special meeting on Nov 1896, and came into effect on 1 May 1897. Members of the Camden Society became Fellows of the RHS, with three of them taking seats on the Council. The RHS took over the balance of the Camden Society's funds and other assets, and it was agreed that the series of Camden volumes should continue as a publication of the RHS.

The Society took on a much more professional character in the 1890s, with a new programme of scholarly research, the selection of highly qualified members, and gave serious attention to its library. In 1897, Louis Charles Alexander, the first secretary, who had reassumed membership following the departure of Rogers, endowed the Alexander Medal and the first Alexander Prize Essay was presented in 1898.

In 1899 A W Ward was appointed President and in 1901 G W Prothero, former Professor of History at Edinburgh, was offered the Presidency. Both these men were active in attempts to establish a School of Advanced Historical Studies in London, which was without a History School, but only succeeded in establishing an annual Creighton Memorial Lecture at the University of London and temporary provision of two lectureships at LSE. In 1906 the Historical Association was founded as a valuable adjunct to this work, and was housed in the RHS for 30 years.

However the Society's primary object remained as a publisher, with two thirds of their income being devoted to this. Ward initiated plans for a larger publishing project - an historical bibliography for Great Britain and Ireland since the Middle Ages. First discussed in 1885, again in 1896, and 1903 it gained shape and form, finally in 1909 a plan for the bibliography was approved, with Prothero appointed general editor. (Bibliography of British History). The outbreak of war in 1914, brought a halt to the plans for the Bibliography of British History. On Prothero's death in 1922 a consultative committee was set up to carry on the work for the Bibliography of British History. In 1928, the 17th century volume was published in 1928, and the sixteenth century volume in [1933].

In 1929, a second Prize Essay was endowed - in Scottish history. In 1933 RHS underwent some administrative renovation, which included the creation of a new class of Associate Members. The Society inherited the bulk of Prothero's estate, following the death of his wife in 1934 a bequest of over £22 400 pounds, as well as his library. In 1968, an annual lectureship was instituted in his memory.

The Society is currently composed of over 2,500 Fellows from Britain and around the world, who are deemed to have made an original contribution to historical scholarship in the form of significant published work. The Fellows elect a Council which governs the Society's affairs. The Society is administered by a full-time Secretariat.

Samuel Rawson Gardiner (1829-1902) Born near Arlesford, 4 March 1829, the son of Rawson Boddam Gardiner and Margaret Baring Gould. He was educated at Winchester, and Christ Church, Oxford. Awarded DCL, LLD, LittD, 1st class Lit. Hum. 1851; Hon. Student of Christ Church, Oxford. He was a Fellow of Merton College, Oxford, and Professor of Modern History at King's College London. He died on 23 February 1902.
Publications: History of England, 1603-1642; History of the Great Civil War, 1642-1649; Cromwell's Place in History, 1897; What Gunpowder Plot was, 1897; History of the Commonwealth and Protectorate.

James Frederick Chance (1856-1938) Born 9 April 1856, the son of Sir James Timmins Chance, Bart. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge. Held the position of Honorary Secretary to the Eton War Memorial Fund since 1917. Awarded MA; Vice President, Royal Historical Society. Died 18 October 1938.
Publications: George I and the Northern War, 1909; The Alliance of Hanover, 1923; List of Diplomatic Representatives and Agents, England and North Germany, 1689-1727, 1907; List of Diplomatic Representatives and Agents, Denmark, Sweden, and Russia, 1689-1762, 1909; edited for the Royal Historical Society, Diplomatic Instructions, vol. i, Sweden, 1689-1727, 1922, vol. iii, Denmark, 1689-1789, 1926; vol. v, Sweden, 1727-1789, 1928; The Lighthouse Work of Sir James Chance, Bart, 1902; A History of the Firm of Chance Brothers and Company, 1919; Chance of Birmingham and Bromsgrove, 1892; The Pattinsons of Kirklinton, 1899.

Charles Rogers (1825-1890) Scottish author. Born in Denino, Fife, 18 April 1825, the only son of James Rogers (1767-1849), the local minister, and his wife Jane Haldane. He was educated at Denino parish school, and the University of St. Andrews, matriculating in 1839. Licensed by the presbytery of St Andrews in June 1846, he was employed in the capacity of assistant successively at Western Anstruther, Kinglassie, Abbotshall, Dunfermline, Ballingry, and Carnoustie. Subsequently he opened a preaching station at the Bridge of Allan, and from January 1855 until 11 Aug. 1863 was chaplain of the garrison at Stirling Castle. In 1855 he inaugurated at Stirling a short-lived Scottish Literary Institute. In 1862 he opened the British Christian Institute, for the dissemination of religious tracts, especially to soldiers and sailors, and in connection with it he issued a weekly paper, called The Workman's Friend,' and afterwards monthly serials,The Briton' and The Recorder;' but the scheme collapsed in 1863. In 1863 he founded and edited a newspaper,The Stirling Gazette,' but its career was brief. These schemes involved Rogers in much contention and litigation, and he imagined himself the victim of misrepresentation and persecution. To escape his calumniators he resigned his chaplaincy in 1863, went to England, and thenceforth devoted himself to literary work.
Rogers's earliest literary efforts in London were journalistic, but his chief interest was Scottish history, literature, and genealogy. He also had a passion for founding literary societies. In November 1865 he originated in London a short-lived Naval and Military Tract Society, as a successor to his British Christian Institute, and in connection with it he edited a quarterly periodical called The British Bulwark.' When that society's existence terminated, he set upThe London Book and Tract Depository,' which he carried on until 1874. The most successful of all his foundations - the Grampian Club, was inaugurated in London on 2 Nov. 1868, and he was secretary and chief editor until his death. Its purpose was to issue works illustrative of Scottish literature, history, and antiquities. He also claimed to be the founder of the Royal Historical Society, which was established in London on 23 Nov 1868, for the conduct of historical, biographical, and ethnological investigations. He was secretary and historiographer to this Society until 1880, when he was openly charged with working it for his own pecuniary benefit. He defended himself in a pamphlet, Parting Words to the Members,' 1881, and reviewed his past life inThe Serpent's Track: a Narrative of twenty-two years' Persecution' (1880). He edited eight volumes of the Historical Society's `Transactions,' in which he wrote much himself.
He was awarded a the degree of LL.D from Columbia College, New York, in 1854; and D.D. by the University of St Andrews in 1881. He was a member, fellow, or correspondent of numerous learned societies, British, foreign, and colonial, and an associate of the Imperial Archæological Society of Russia. He died in Edinburgh on 18 Sept. 1890, at the aged 65. Rogers married, on 14 Dec. 1854, Jane, the eldest daughter of John Bain of St. Andrews.

Publications:
I. Historical and Biographical- Notes in the History of Sir Jerome Alexander, 1872; Three Scots Reformers, 1874; Life of George Wishart, 1875; Memorials of the Scottish House of Gourlay, 1888; Memorials of the Earls of Stirling and House of Alexander, 2 vols. 1877; The Book of Wallace, 2 vols. 1889; The Book of Burns, 3 vols. 1889-91;
II. Topographical - History of St. Andrews, 1849; A Week at the Bridge of Allan, 1851; The Beauties of Upper Strathearn, 1854; Ettrick Forest and the Ettrick Shepherd, 1860;
III. Genealogical- Genealogical Chart of the Family of Bain, 1871; The House of Roger, 1872; Memorials of the Strachans of Thornton and Family of Wise of Hillbank, 1873; Robert Burns and the Scottish House of Burnes, 1877; Sir Walter Scott and Memorials of the Haliburtons, 1877; The Scottish House of Christie, 1878; The Family of Colt and Coutts, 1879; The Family of John Knox, 1879; The Scottish Family of Glen, 1888;
IV. Ecclesiastical- Historical Notices of St. Anthony's Monastery, Leith, 1849; History of the Chapel Royal of Scotland, 1882;
V. Social- Familiar Illustrations of Scottish Life, 1861; Traits and Stories of the Scottish People, 1867; Scotland, Social and Domestic, 1869; A Century of Scottish Life, 1871; Monuments and Monumental Inscriptions in Scotland, 2 vols. 1871-2; Social Life in Scotland, 3 vols. 1884-6;
VI. Religious - Christian Heroes in the Army and Navy, 1867; Our Eternal Destiny, 1868;
VII. Poetical- The Modern Scottish Minstrel, 6 vols. 1855-7; The Sacred Minstrel, 1859; The Golden Sheaf, 1867; Lyra Britannica, 1867; Life and Songs of the Baroness Nairne, 1869;
VIII. Autobiographical and General- Issues of Religious Rivalry, 1866; Leaves from my Autobiography, 1876; The Serpent's Track, 1880; Parting Words to the Members of the Royal Historical Society, 1881; Threads of Thought, 1888; The Oak, 1868;
Rogers also edited: Aytoun's Poems, 1844; Campbell's Poems, 1870; Sir John Scot's Staggering State of Scottish Statesmen, 1872; Poetical Remains of King James, 1873; Hay's Estimate of the Scottish Nobility; Glen's Poems, 1874; Diocesan Registers of Glasgow, 2 vols. 1875 (in conjunction with Mr. Joseph Bain); Boswelliana, 1874; Register of the Church of Crail, 1877; Events in the North of Scotland, 1635 to 1645, 1877; Chartulary of the Cistercian Priory of Coldstream, 1879; Rental-book of the Cistercian Abbey of Cupar-Angus, 1880; The Earl of Stirling's Register of Royal Letters, 2 vols. 1884-5.

Cyril Saunders Spackman (1887-1963) Sculptor, painter-etcher and architect. Born Cleveland, USA, 15 August 1887, the only son of Rev. John and Adelaide Saunders Spackman. He was educated at Public schools, Cleveland, Central Foundation School, London and King's Coll., London. FRNS.

He exhibited at Royal Academy, Paris Salons, as well as in regional Britian and in the USA. He was the designer of the Masonic Million Memorial Medal (exhibited Royal Academy and RMS, 1922) as well as medals for the Corporation of Croydon and the Incorporated Association of Architects and Surveyors; Medal of Harding Award for Selhurst Grammar School; The Nativity, The Crucifixion, The Ascension, Altar Panels in Grosmont Church, Monmouthshire; Crucifix in Hoptonwood stone in All Saints at Selhurst; Large Relief, St George and the Dragon, Clipsham stone, Ashburton Secondary Modern School, Croydon. He was filmed by Br. Paramount News and Wallace Productions Ltd carving bust of Wendy Newbury. Other sculptures include: Emancipation, in Belgian Black Marble; (Hon. Mention Salon, Paris, 1952), Duke of Devonshire, KG, in Hadene Marble; The Hall Stone Medal for United Grand Lodge of England; Black Marble Head (in the Municipal Museum Art Gallery, Arnheim).
Spackman was also Honorary Vice-President South-Eastern Society of Architects, Member Cleveland Society of Artists, Chicago Society of Etchers, Late Art Editor of The Parthenon. Chairman, Croydon University Extension Committee; Honorary-Vice-President Croydon Symphony Orchestra; Member Committee Croydon Writers' Circle; Vice-President Croydon Camera Club; Freeman and a Citizen of London; Freedom and Livery of The Company of Masons. In 1922 he married Ada Victoria (Queenie) Sadleir. He died on 16 May 1963.
Publications:
Colour Prints of a Dream Garden, and an Old-World Garden, from the original paintings exhibited at the RBA; contributor to the Architectural Review, etc.

Frederick Solly Flood (1801-1888) Born 1801, son of Richard Solly, Portman Square, London. He was educated at Harrow School, and Trinity College Cambridge. In 1820, following the death of his father, he took by Royal Licence the additional name of his maternal grandfather, a prominent Irish politician, Sir Frederick Flood (1741-1824). In 1924, he inherited his grandfather's property, and married Mary Williamson of Stoke Damerel, Devonport, who died in 1864. Admitted to Lincoln's Inn in 1824, he was called to the bar in 1828, joining the Midland Circuit, and attending Warwick an Northampton Sessions. He was attorney General of Gibraltar 1872-1877. He was elected Fellow of the RHS in 1885.

(Arthur Frederic) Basil Williams (1867-1950) historian. Born in London 4 April 1867, the only son of Frederick George Adolphus Williams, barrister-at-law, and his wife, Mary Katharine Lemon. He was educated at Marlborough and New College, Oxford. After graduating, he obtained a clerkship in the House of Commons where it was his duty to attend the parliamentary committee of inquiry into the responsibility for the Jameson raid; the appearance of Cecil Rhodes made a deep impression on him, and perhaps this accounts for his decision, many years later, to write Rhodes's biography. Williams volunteered for service in the South African war, and spent a year's campaign in the same unit with Erskine Childers. He co-operated with Childers in attempts to work out a solution of the Home Rule question, and wrote a memoir of him after his execution in 1922. Returning briefly to England, Williams went out again to South Africa as a civilian, where he served Lord Milner. He assisted Lionel Curtis, then town clerk at Johannesburg, and worked later in the education department.
On his second return to England he gave himself in earnest to his career as an historian of the eighteenth century. He distinguished himself by a series of articles on Sir Robert Walpole's foreign policy in the English Historical Review (1900-1). He was a skilled biographer, writhing the lives of William Pitt, Earl of Chatham (1913), and Stanhope (1932), Carteret and Newcastle (1943). He also wrote a general work on British history under the early Hanoverians, with the title The Whig Supremacy 1714-60 (1939).

During World War 1, he served as an education officer in the Royal Field Artillery and in 1919 was appointed O.B.E. for his services. He was Kingsford Professor of History at McGill University (1921-5), and then Professor of history at Edinburgh until 1937 when he retired under the age limit. He was elected Fellow, British Academy, 1935. He retained his interest in South Africa, and this became a secondary sphere of historical interest. In 1921 he published his life of Cecil Rhodes and in 1946 a book on Botha, Smuts and South Africa.

In 1905 Williams married Dorothy (died 1948), daughter of Francis William Caulfield. He died at Chelsea 5 January 1950.

Pester Jewish community and others

No information is held concerning the provenance or authorship of these apparently unrelated documents concerning Jews in Hungary.

Unknown

Nothing is known about the provenance of this apparently authentic account of imprisonment in Spain during the Spanish Civil war by an unidentified Austrian Jew. The events described took place in 1936 and the account was, according to the author, written in Vienna in 1937.

Unknown

This collection of papers documents antisemitism in various forms in South Africa mostly during the 1930s.

Unknown

Ernest Mitchell, the son of a synagogue cantor from Breslau, Silesia, was rescued by the Red Army and came to England via a Displaced Persons Camp in 1948. His father, Ernst Schampanier is the subject of the document regarding the appointment of a cantor at Breslau synagogue. Edith Rosenthal is his daughter, who died in England in 1972. Suzie Rosenthal, the subject for the application of a commemorative bench for victims of the 'Patria' disaster, is her daughter.

Various

The central themes of the collection are the views of Judge N W Rogers, a virulent anti-semite, who believed in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and that the financial world was controlled by international Jewry. He sent one of his pamphlets and two others of a similar nature to Hugo Valentin in Sweden, with a letter in which he reasserts his antisemitic arguments. Evidently, they had already corresponded although it is not clear why. In addition there is correspondence between the Jewish Central Information Office and Valentin. Whilst little is known about Rogers, save for the fact that he had published a number of antisemitic tracts, the following information on Valentin was taken from Encyclopoedia Judaica.

Hugo Maurice Valentin, 1888-1963, was a historian and Zionist leader. Born in Sweden, Valentin first served as a teacher of history at a high school in Falun, but in 1930 was appointed lecturer and in 1948 professor at the University of Uppsala. Topics: European/ Prussian history and history of Jews in Sweden. In 1925 he became a Zionist, and from then on dedicated himself passionately to spreading Zionism to Swedish Jews. He became president and later honorary president of the Zionist Federation. He died suddenly preparing an argument against an anti-Zionist in a Stockholm radio station.

Conrad , Eric , fl 1945 , lawyer

Eric Conrad was a refugee from Vienna, a lawyer, who later became a chartered acountant. He joined the Pioneer Corps and subsequently transferred to the Intelligence Corps. He was awarded the American Bronze Star for causing the surrender of German troops at Cherbourg. On the surrender of Hamburg, 5 May 1945, he became an announcer on Hamburg radio and was then transferred to the music department which he helped to restart.

Warschauer , Malvin , 1871-1955 , rabbi

Malvin Warschauer was born in 1871 the son of a timber merchant in a small village in Kanth, near Breslau, Silesia (now Wroclaw, Poland). He was a student at Berlin University from 1890 where he studied oriental languages, Arabic and Syrian and philosophy and became a member, then later president, of the Academic Union for Jewish History and Literature. He also studied at the College of Jewish Learning at Unter den Linden where most of the students were from Eastern Europe, Austria and Hungary. It was during this time that he became a life-long friend of Leo Baeck.

He was an early Zionist and often met with opposition from his rabbinical colleagues over his ideas on the subject. He married Recha Blum in 1904 and had children in 1905 and 1907 respectively. Having been a temporary preacher at the new synagogue in Luetzowstrasse, he became a rabbi in 1906. In 1911 he took over as head of the College of Jewish Learning. He later became the Rabbi of Oranienburgerstrasse. The children having already emigrated to England earlier in the decade, Malvin Warschauer was himself forced to flee and arrived at Croydon airport in January 1939.

His years in England were spent officiating as a guest rabbi, involving himself in work with the considerable refugee community in and around Guildford and writing his memoirs. He died on 27 January 1955.

In 1940 Duchin describes himself, within these records, as having been working on refugee matters for 5 years and having been on various committees. He also states that he assisted Dorothy Buxton in the preparation of her book 'the Refugee and You'. At the request of Professor Leonard Woolf he prepared a memo on the subject of the International Advisory Committee of the Labour Party, which was widely circulated by Transport House. He was one of the Honorary Solicitors assisting the Jewish Refugees Committee and was in close contact with Norman Bentwich. In addition, according to the 1937/8 annual report of the Haldane Society, Duchin was a member of that organisation and chaired a sub-committee on the law relating to aliens for which he wrote a report (see 1014/3).

The papers at 1014/5 which document his activities representing the interests of individual refugees and his presence on a number of committees involved in similar work are testament to his commitment to the cause of refugees. After the war he became involved in the redistribution of property stolen by the Nazis (1014/6). Nothing further is known about him.

Bondy , François , b 1915 , journalist

François Bondy was born in 1915, the son of Fritz Bondy, a Prague-born man of letters and of the theatre, who moved to Switzerland with his family on account of his wife's health. François became a journalist, was editor of a Parisian economics periodical in 1934 and member of the editorial team of a French political newspaper in 1935. He was interned in May 1940 in Camp du Vernet along with the author, Arthur Koestler. After his release he studied Germanistik in Paris and sociology in Zürich, where he also worked as an editor for Weltwoche. After the Berlin Congress on 'Cultural Freedom', 1950, in which he took an actve part, Bondy settled in Paris where he was the publisher of the cultural newspaper Preuves. He turned this information sheet into one of France's leading cultural periodicals. By the late 1960s he had become a leading writer on cultural affairs, appearing on radio and television and many leading European newspapers and periodicals.

Neumann family

The industrial clothing company, Neumann and Mendel, was founded in early 1889 by Emil Neumann and Carl Mendel, the latter dying shortly afterwards, the former retaining sole ownership. At the beginning of the 1890s a sister company was founded at Rhendt which later moved to Mönchengladbach. In 1908 the Essen firm moved to new, larger premises in the same city. By 1914, the 25th Jubilee year, the company employed 1100 people. By 1929, the year of the 40th Jubilee, the firm employed about half as many. After Emil Neumann's death in 1923, his son Ludwig became the sole owner. In accordance with the Nazi policy of 'Aryanisation' the company was forcibly sold to Joseph Herbring, a non-Jew in October 1938.

After the war Ludwig Neumann returned to Germany to reclaim what was rightfully his. The Essen branch of the firm along with most of Essen had been completely destroyed in the bombing during the war. He managed to secure a loan from his sister's frozen German bank account in order to re-establish the business in Germany in 1950. The business had fallen into difficulties and by 1949 was no longer functioning. Ludwig Neumann managed to obtain a work permit and remained for approximately 4 years in Mönchengladbach building up the company once more. It is not clear what the fate of the company was after Ludwig's attempts to rejuvenate it. A letter dated September 1954, shortly after the death of his mother, Dina Neumann, states that they were trying to find a buyer for the machinery. It is probable therefore that the company was broken up and its assets sold off at about this time.

Emil Neumann, born in Hammerstein Provinz, West Prussia in 1861 and living in Essen at the time of his marriage in 1892, married Dina Stern from Felsberg, Hessen, born in 1868. Louis Stern, her brother also worked for the company. He died in 1932. Emil and Dina had two children, Ludwig (aka Lutz) born in 1896 and Luise (aka Liesel, aka Louise) born in 1893. Having served and been wounded during the First World War (for which he was decorated), he studied at the Technical Institute for Textile Industries, Württemberg, 1919-1920, and became the sole owner of the company Neumann and Mendel and manager of the associated export firm of Schrey and Co in 1923 after the death of his father. Luise worked as a nurse in the Friedrich Krupp Krankenhaus, Essen, throughout most of the war. In 1919 she married Richard Elkisch, a Jewish businessman born in Berlin. Hardly anything is known about the latter. Luise was forced to leave her Berlin flat, Kaiseralle 203, in 1938.

In 1938, having been forced to sell the company, Ludwig was interned in Dachau for a couple of months, and released on the understanding that he would leave the country immediately. On his arrival in Great Britain after a period of internment as an enemy alien, he held a number of posts as a production manager in the clothing industry. He returned to Germany in 1950 to resume the management of the family business. Luise and her mother came over to Britain at about the same time and the family settled in Birkenhead where they remained. Dina died in 1954, Ludwig in 1970 and Luise in the 1980s.

The Bergmann family were residents of Leipzig and travelled to Great Britain probably some time in 1939. Walter Manfred Bergmann was a practising doctor until the beginning of October 1938, after which time he was no longer allowed to practise on account of his Jewish decent.

Langland , Joseph , 1917-2007 , poet

Joseph Langland, was born in 1917; educated at University of Iowa gaining a bachelor's degree, 1940 and a master's degree, 1941; was a soldier in the US Army in World War Two, stationed close to Buchenwald shortly after its liberation. He became a poet and published poems including two about Buchenwald and one about Hiroshima. Langland died in 2007.

Hedwig Abranowicz (later Vicky Abrams) came from a Jewish family. She was born in Vienna in 1900 and died in London in 1989. She had 2 sisters, Luki and Stella, and a brother, Hans Julius, who died in 1920. She was well educated, having studied philosophy at the University of Vienna from 1919-1925. It is not known when she received her doctorate. She was married to Walter Leibetseder, a non-Jew in [1919].

Abrams worked as an editor for the glossy Berlin publication, Das Magazin, from 1927-1933, from which she received a glowing reference. Attracted by opposition to the Nazis she joined the Leninist underground organisation of 1930s Berlin, Neu Beginnen (called originally ORG), in 1931 and for most of her life remained close with some surviving ex-colleagues, describing those years as the most interesting and educational of her life, particularly her friendship with Walter Löwenheim. On the way back from Prague at the end of April 1936 she was arrested in possession of a copy of the charge sheet for the first trial against Neu Beginnen. She was in the 2nd trial 'Leibetseder und Genossen'- sentenced to 2 and a half years imprisonment at Jauer and Lichtenburg. She was divorced from her husband, Walter, on account of her being Jewish. On 13 March 1939 she returned to Vienna and came to England shortly afterwards.