Mostrando 15888 resultados

Registro de autoridad

The Research Board for the Correlation of Medical Science and Physical Education (RBCMSPE) was established in 1943; its aims were "to ensure more general recognition of the need for health and physical education in the widest sense" in the hope that "the lessons of war would, in the field of health and physical efficiency, become the accepted standards of peacetime and reconstruction"; published major report Medical Science and Physical Education covering maternity, child welfare, education, recreation, and the Armed Forces, in 1944; published major report Medical Science and Physical Education in Industry containing far-reaching recommendations on occupational health and rehabilitation, in 1946; RBCMSPE funded special projects, awarded grants for relevant studies, and administered the Nuffield Provincial Hospitals Trust Hyde Prize; closed down in 1956.

The Association for the Advancement of Medicine by Research (AAMR) was founded by James Paget to promote a positive image of experimenting on animals for medical research and to resist harassment by anti-vivisectionists, 1882; the AAMR developed a quasi-official role with the Home Office, scrutinising applications made to conduct medical research involving animals; the Research Defence Society (RDS) was founded as a separate body with similar aims to the AAMR but also to publish and distribute literature on the importance and necessity of experiments on animals, 1908; the RDS was granted charitable status for its educational work, 1980.

The Association for Research into Restricted Growth was co-founded by Dr Sir William Geoffrey Shakespeare, 2nd Baronet, (1927-1996), a general practitioner who took an interest in the conditions causing restricted growth. He had achondroplasia, a genetic disorder that causes dwarfism or restricted growth. His son Sir Thomas William Shakespeare, 3rd Baronet (b 1966) also has achondroplasia. The Association became a registered charity in 1970.

Sigerist Society

Named after Henry Ernest Sigerist (1891-1957) the Swiss medical historian, the Sigerist Society was founded in 1947 by a group of left wing doctors with a strong Marxist component. They met 2 or 3 times a year to discuss medicine in society, and wider philosophical issues. Members included Philip Hart, Martin Roff, Richard Doll and Julian Tudor Hart. The Society probably ended in 1955.

Founded 1856 as The Association of Metropolitan Medical Officers of Health.

In 1871 the report of the Royal Sanitary Commission (appointed 1869) recommended consolidation of public health measures under one sanitary law and proposed a Minister of Health.

In 1873 the name changed to The Society of Medical Officers of Health. The aims of the Society were to promote public health and increase the education and knowledge of Medical Officers of Health (MOHs), the medical profession and the general public in this field. Its main activities were holding meetings, lectures and conferences; organising training courses; publishing the journal Public Health; promoting research and the publication of books, pamphlets and papers relating to public health; acting as an advisory body to Government and other organisations; and awarding prizes for work and study in public health.

In 1891 the Society was incorporated under the Companies Act and the name changed to The Incorporated Society of Medical Officers of Health.

In 1929 the Local Government Act meant that MOHs were responsible for water supply; sewage disposal; food control and hygiene; public health aspects of housing; control and prevention of infectious diseases; maternity and child welfare clinics; midwives and health visitors; tuberculosis clinics and venereal disease clinics; and school health services and local hospitals.

In 1969 the Society registered as a Charity.

In 1973 the name changed to The Society of Community Medicine.

In 1974 the National Health Service Reorganisation Act meant that the role of MOHs no longer existed.

In 1976 internal administrative and financial problems almost resulted in the end of the Society.

In 1989 the name changed to The Society of Public Health Limited.

In 1993 the name changed to The Society of Public Health.

In 1997 the name changed to The Royal Institute of Public Health and Hygiene and Society of Public Health following a merger.

Born 1866, Thomas Strangeways Pigg changed his surname to Strangeways when he married; educated at St Bartholemew's, 1890; awarded Matthews Duncan Gold Medal, 1895; demonstrator in Pathology, Cambridge, 1897; awarded honorary MA, 1900; died, 1926.

T S P Strangeways formed the Committee for the Study of Special Diseases to investigate joint disease and opened a research hospital in Cambridge, 1905; Cambridge Research Hospital opened in new premises, 1912; tissue culture research began, 1920; Honor Fell became Strangeways' research assistant, 1923; wards at the Cambridge Research Hospital closed and clinical work transferred to St Bartholomew's; Dr J A Andrews became interim Director, 1927; Dr Honor Fell appointed as Chief of the Laboratory and hospital renamed Strangeways Research Laboratory, 1928; F G Spear appointed Deputy Director; Dr Alfred Glucksmann appointed Deputy Director, 1960; Dame Honor Fell retired, 1970; Professor Michael Abercrombie appointed Director, 1970-1979; Dr J T Dingle appointed Director.

The Society for the Study and Cure of Inebriety was founded in 1884 as a pressure group in response to the inadequacy of the Habitual Drunkards Act of 1879.

In 1946 the Society changed it's name to the Society for the Study of Addiction to Alcohol and other Drugs.

The London Society for Study of Addiction is the London branch of the Society for the Study of Addiction to Alcohol and other Drugs.

The Society's current aims are to promote the communication and spread of scientific knowledge about dependence on drugs and alcohol and other forms of dependence associated with compulsive behaviour, and to encourage the systematic study of the forms of dependence.

The Society jointly sponsors the Dent Lecture with the Department of Pharmacology, Kings College London.

Society for Social Medicine

The Society for Social Medicine was founded in 1956 for the advancement of academic social medicine primarily in the research field.

Travelling Surgical Society

The Travelling Surgical Society was founded in 1924 by twelve members keen to promote links with surgeons abroad to exchange ideas. Membership was set at 20. Annual visits lasting about a week were made, mostly abroad, but also to cities in Britain. A visit to Norway was planned for September 1939, but was cancelled due to the outbreak of war. Visits were not resumed again until 1949.

In 1931 Dr Charles Killick Millard, Medical Officer of Health for Leicester gave a presidential address to the Society of Medical Officers of Health, on voluntary euthanasia. His speech was printed in pamphlet form with an introduction by Sir William Arbuthnot Lane. Millard advocated the passing of an Act of Parliament to legalise euthanasia on a voluntary basis for the terminally ill, and included the draft of a bill with his paper.

In 1935 the Voluntary Euthanasia Legalisation Society was founded in Leicester with C J Bond as Chairman, Charles Killick Millard as Honorary Secretary and Lord Moynihan as President and in 1936 the first Voluntary Euthanasia (Legalisation) Bill was introduced into Parliament.

In 1941 the membership of the Society was over 1000 but the activities of the Society were curtailed by the War. Also to counteract the bad name given to euthanasia by Hitler's policies, the Society found it necessary to issue a statement pointing out that they only advocated euthanasia on a strictly voluntary basis for the already dying.

In 1949 the Society petitioned the United Nations to include the right to voluntary euthanasia in the Declaration of Human Rights.

The Society became known as EXIT but reverted to the Voluntary Euthanasia Society and continued to campaign for the right of individuals to a death with dignity and to propagate this controversial subject. In 2006 the Society changed its name to Dignity in Dying.

Catherine Kearsley and her husband were printers and booksellers in London in the late eighteenth century. They began the commercial production of Widow Welch's Female Pills, which they claimed to have as a family recipe, in 1787. There seems to have been some contention over who was manufacturing the true Widow Welch's Recipe, since the collection includes a handbill claiming that Mrs Smithers, as the granddaughter of the Widow Welch was the only person entitled to the preparation. It continued to be a popular patent medicine until the company ceased trading in the late 1960s.

Wellcome Bureau of Scientific Research

In 1913 the Wellcome Bureau of Scientific Research (WBSR) was established and Andrew Balfour appointed as Director-in-Chief.

Balfour was also President of the Medical Advisory Committee of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force, and from 1914-1918 the WBSR co-operated with the Army Medical Department.

In 1920 the WBSR moved to Endsleigh Gardens, Euston Road and in 1923 Charles Morley Wenyon was appointed Director after Balfour left to become Director of London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

In 1944 Wenyon retired and Charles Halliley Kellaway was appointed as Director. WBSR and Wellcome Chemical Research Laboritories (WCRL) combine to form the Wellcome Laboratories of Tropical Medicine (WLTM).

Wellcome Chemical Research Laboratories

In 1896 the Wellcome Research Laboratories (WRL) were established in a building near the headquarters of Burroughs Wellcome, under Frederick Belding Power and H A D Jowett. Henry Solomon Wellcome (HSW) declared that these laboratories were to be quite distinct from the business departments.

In 1899 the WRL moved to 6 King Street, Snow Hill and became known as the Wellcome Chemical Research Laboratories (WCRL).

Work involved the isolation and production of new chemical substances and collaboration with the Wellcome Physiological Research Laboratories (WPRL) in their pharmacological testing.

Despite the claim that the research laboratories were clearly independent from the firm, they did in fact serve HSW's commercial purposes and contributed to his business success.

In 1905 the Experimental Department was set up to enable the WCRL to be devoted to purely academic work and the Chemical Department to concentrate on manufacturing work.

In 1913 the Wellcome Bureau of Scientific Research (WBSR) was established to unify all the scientific research work. Andrew Balfour was the Director.

In 1924 the Wellcome Foundation Limited (WFL) was established which formally drew together for the first time, the company, the research laboratories and the museums.

In 1931 the Wellcome Research Institution (WRI) was established which housed the WCRL and WBSR. The WPRL remained at Beckenham.

Wellcome Historical Medical Museum

In 1897 C J S Thompson (CJST) began to collect books and manuscripts for Henry Solomon Wellcome's library.

In 1898 CJST became an employee of Burrough Wellcome and Co.

In 1903-1904 an Historical Medical Exhibition was planned.

In 1911 the Historical Medical Museum was established at 54a Wigmore Street, which in 1914 became the Wellcome Historical Medical Museum (WHMM).

In 1931 the Wellcome Research Institution opened in 183 Euston Road and in 1932 the WHMM moved into the new building.

In 1960 the ownership of the historical collections transferred from the Company to the Trustees; although administration was still carried on by the Company.

In 1966 the Trust established a sub-department of the History of Medicine in the Department of Anatomy, at University College London (UCL).

In 1968 the WHMM and Library were renamed the Wellcome Institute of the History of Medicine.

Born Wisconsin, USA, 1853; educated College of Pharmacy, Chicago, 1872; graduated Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, 1873; pharmaceutical representative for Caswell, Hazard and Co, New York; pharmaceutical representative for McKesson and Robins, New York, 1876; expedition to Ecuador and Peru to study the cinchona forests, 1878; partnership offer from Silas Burroughs, London, 1879; Burroughs Wellcome and Co head quarters open in London, 1881; Burroughs launched unsuccessful legal action to dissolve the partnership, 1888; Burroughs died and Wellcome gained sole control of the company, 1895; awarded an honorary degree from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy; awarded an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree (LLD) by Edinburgh University,1928; naturalised as a British subject, 1910; received knighthood, 1932; awarded an Honorary Fellowship by the Royal College of Surgeons; awarded a Fellowship by the Royal Society; died in London, 1936; memorial plaque erected in St Paul's Cathedral by Wellcome Trustees and ashes interred in St Paul's churchyard, 1987.

Wellcome Museum of Medical Science

The Wellcome Museum of Medical Science (WMMS) was established by Andrew Balfour. The Wellcome Tropical Research Laboratories (WTRL) in Khartoum included a museum of material which he had collected in the course of its work, and he had also undertaken medical exhibitions in Dresden and Ghent dealing with selected tropical diseases. In 1913 Balfour returned to London to direct the Wellcome Bureau of Scientific Research (WBSR) and proposed the establishment of a Museum of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. In 1914 the museum was established, reporting to the WBSR for administration and finance.

The exhibits came from the Dresden and Ghent exhibitions, supplemented by a variety of largely zoological material relating to tropical medicine collected by Balfour and his staff during their overseas travels. In 1919 Dr George Buchanan, who had worked in the laboratories in Khartoum, was appointed first full-time Curator. He was succeeded by Dr S H Daukes who had organised the visual teaching at the Leeds School of Army Hygiene. The Museum was chiefly concerned with the prophylaxis of tropical diseases, with special reference to their cause, transmission and methods of prevention.

In 1920 the Museum of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene and the WBSR expanded and moved to premises on the corner of Euston Road and Gordon Street. In 1923 the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine was established and in 1924 the Museum of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene was re-named the Wellcome Museum of Medical Science (WMMS). In 1932 it relocated to the ground floor of the Wellcome Building at 183 Euston Road.

It was closed from 1939-1946 and re-opened after the war in a reduced size. Its activities dovetailed with the Wellcome Laboratories of Tropical Medicine which were established at this time as successors to the former WBSR. In 1985 the functions of the WMMS were taken over by the Wellcome Tropical Institute (WTI).

For further information see WA/MMS/PU/1.

In 1894-1895 Burroughs Wellcome and Co. began to produce antitoxin in central London under supervision of T J Bokenham in a laboratory administered directly from firm's headquarters in Snow Hill.

In 1897 Bokenham's successor, Walter Dowson, was appointed Director perhaps indicating that Wellcome Physiological Research Laboratories (WPRL) were now regarded as a separate entity.

In 1902 Henry Wellcome directed that both chemical and physiological research laboratories should be considered as separate from the business.

In 1924 the establishment of The Wellcome Foundation Ltd which formally drew together for the first time, the company and the research laboratories and museums.

Wellcome Tropical Research Laboratories

In 1900 Henry Solomon Wellcome visited the Sudan and as a result proposed to establish a tropical research laboratory at Khartoum, which would aim at the reduction of disease by using known preventive methods and treatments and also conduct serious scientific research into diseases of the area. Wellcome would equip the laboratory but the Sudan Government was to maintain it and meet staffing costs. In 1903 he founded the Wellcome Tropical Research Laboratories (WTRL) at Gordon Memorial College, Khartoum which was set up by Andrew Balfour who was also appointed Chief Health Officer.

Wellcome was appointed a member of the General Council of Gordon College, c 1905.

Charles Wenyon was seconded to WTRL from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine for a year to join the floating laboratory the 'Culex' to carry research to river settlements, 1907.

The Laboratories were destroyed by fire, 1908, Wellcome financed their rebuilding.

Balfour returned to London to head the Wellcome Bureau of Scientific Research (WBSR), 1913.

Succeeded by A J Chalmers, 1913-1929 and R G Archibald, 1920-1935, and closed by the Sudan Government in 1935.

After Wellcome's death in 1936, the Wellcome Trustees decided not to support the Khartoum laboratories as the Wellcome name had been allowed to disappear (Hall and Bembridge, 1986).

Wellcome Foundation Ltd

Before 1924 the Wellcome Foundation Ltd was known as Burroughs Wellcome and Company (BW and Co.), formed by the 1880 partnership between Henry Solomon Wellcome and Silas Mainville Burroughs. The Wellcome Foundation Ltd was formed in 1924, as an amalgamation of Wellcome's business and other interests including the Wellcome Bureau of Scientific Research, incorporating the Wellcome Physiological Research Laboratories and the Wellcome Chemical Research Laboratories, and also including the Wellcome Tropical Research Laboratories, and the Wellcome Historical Medical Museum.

Cooper McDougall and Robertson Ltd

While Coopers was primarily a veterinary and agricultural products company, it was not entirely so. During the 1950s and 1960s, Coopers became the first firm in Britain to produce aerosols on a large scale, and this fact is mentioned many times in their advertising for such products. They also branched out, for a time, into the production and/or sale of domestic household goods such as cleaners, toilet rolls and hair care products. Not all of these were actually sold under the Coopers name, and some were manufactured by subsidiaries rather than by Coopers themselves.

Edward Sabine was born in 1788 and joined the Royal Artillery in 1803. While stationed on the Niagara frontier of Canada he began his studies into natural history, which were eventually to encompass ornithology, meteorology and the study of terrestrial magnetism. The latter study was his particular specialism and led to his attachment to the Arctic expeditions of John Ross (1777-1856) in the Isabella (1818) and Edward Parry (1790-1855) in the Hecla (1819-1820). During his long career he rose to be a General in the Royal Artillery, President of the Royal Society, Knight-Commander of the Bath and a member of the informal "Arctic Council" that advised the Admiralty on Polar exploration. He retired from the Army in 1877 and died in 1883.

Antonio Carbajal filled various posts in the Mexican medical establishment and latterly taught at the Institutio Bacteriológico. An obituary of him is to be found in the Boletín de Ciencas Médicas, 1914, 5(2), pp.49-50.

Clah , Arthur Wellington , 1831-1916

Arthur Wellington Clah (1831-1916) of the Tsimshian people was one of the earliest converts made by William Duncan (1832-1918) of the Church Missionary Society after the latter's arrival in 1857 at Port Simpson, B.C., Canada. He became a pupil-teacher, trader and preacher and was closely associated with Duncan whose life he saved from his unconverted fellow tribesmen. He also became a prominent member of the Metlakahtla Settlement set up by Duncan in 1862 about 15 miles to the south of Port Simpson, and when this was transferred to New Metlakahtla, Alaska, in 1887, Clah was one of the Tsimshian who relocated with it. Like Sir Henry Wellcome (1853-1936), who was an outstanding benefactor of the Metlakahtlans, Clah was active in pressing his people's land-claims against the Canadian government.

The Junta Principal de Caridad was set up in the city of Mexico during the smallpox epidemic of 1797-1798. Its role was to co-ordinate the work of local charitable societies that were organised in all the city's subdivisions.

Junta de Sanidad , Mexico City , Mexico

The Junta de Sanidad, composed of 5 members of the Ayuntamiento or city council, was in charge of health issues during the 1813 fever epidemics in the city of Mexico. The fevers affecting the city at this time were probably mainly typhus.

Melchior Antonio de la Cadena y Sotomayor was born in 1539. He was an important figure in the ecclesiastical establishment of Mexico, serving as Canon and Dean of Tlaxcala, Maestrescuelas and Dean of Mexico cathedral and Chancellor of the University of Mexico (Rector for the term 1573/4). At the time of his death in 1607 he was Bishop-elect of Chiapas.

Manuel Andrade y Pastor was born in Mexico in 1809 and qualified as a surgeon and physician in Mexico in 1831-1833. He travelled to study in Paris in 1833-1836. On his return to Mexico he was appointed Director of the Hospital of Jesus. In 1838 he was made Director of the Escuela Nacional de Cirugía, which was incorporated later that year into the Establecimiento de Ciencias Médicas founded in 1833. He held the chair of anatomy here until his death in 1848.

Charles Donovan obtained his MD at Trinity College, Dublin, in 1889 and was commissioned into the Indian Medical Service in 1891. After service in Burma, he was posted in 1898 to Madras to take up an appointment in the Surgeon-General's Office. He was Second Physician at the Government General Hospital until 1910 and then Superintendent at the Royapetta Hospital until his retirement in 1919. He was also Professor of Physiology at the Madras Medical School, studying at King's College, London, during his leave in 1901, and visiting colleagues in the field of tropical medicine in Paris, Edinburgh and Liverpool. His research came to concentrate on Kala-azar, which was prevalent in Blacktown, a densely-populated part of Madras, and in June 1903 he identified the parasite now known as Leishmania donovani.

Amy Skelland was widowed in 1907. She qualified as a nurse in 1909, having trained at the Government General Hospital at Madras, and she was matron of the Royapetta Hospital at the time that Donovan was Superintendent. His reference for her (B.2/4) mentions her "very good knowledge of microscopical work" and the "great help" she had been in "the record keeping of special cases that interested [him]".

Mulligan , Hugh Waddell , 1901-1982

Hugh Waddell Mulligan, CMG, MD, DSc (1901-1982), was a Colonel in the Indian Medical Service. He was Assistant Director, Malaria Survey of India, from 1928 to 1938, interspersed with short periods as Assistant Director of the Central Research Institute and 2 years at the University of Chicago, expanding on studies into the cellular immunological reactions in malaria which he had initiated in Kasauli.

In 1938 he was appointed Director of the Pasteur Institute of Southern India, where he also worked on rabies prevention. During the Second World War he was Consultant Malariologist to the British forces in the Middle East.

After his retirement in 1947, Mulligan founded and was the first Director of the West African Institute for Trypanosomiasis Research. On his return to Britain in 1954 he became Head of the Biochemical Division of the Wellcome Research Laboratories, and was Director of Research of the Wellcome Laboratories 1960-1966; he was also Visiting Lecturer in Applied Biology and Environmental Resources at the University of Salford 1966-1976. Colonel Mulligan died in 1982.

Acheson , James Alexander , 1892-1968

James Acheson graduated MB, BCh, BAO from Trinity College, Dublin, in 1921; Medical Officer for the British South Africa Company and subsequently for the Protectorate of Northern Rhodesia [Zambia], 1923-1948, and had a special interest in dermatology. His MD thesis, 'Framboesia tropica or yaws, with special reference to its occurrence in the Kasempa District of Northern Rhodesia' (1927), was based on the observations recorded in these notes and photographs. Further biographical details can be found in the obituary in the British Medical Journal, 17 February 1968.

Shute , Percy George , 1894-1977

Percy George Shute OBE FRES (1894-1977) was a malariologist. While convalescing in the Manor Hospital, Epsom, from dysentery contracted during military service in Macedonia in 1917, Shute worked at the pathology laboratory under Sir Ronald Ross, who taught him how to stain malaria parasites and dissect mosquitoes. On recovery, he was employed in the eradication from Britain's civilian population of malaria probably spread by the return of infected personnel from Salonika. In 1922 he went to Vienna, where he learned from Professor Julius Wagner-Jauregg the techniques of malaria treatment for general paralysis of the insane. On his return he was closely involved in the establishment in 1925 of the Mott Clinic (later known as the Malaria Reference Laboratory) at Horton Hospital, Epsom. He spent the rest of his working life there and became an authority on British mosquitoes and on malaria and its causative organisms. He was Assistant Director of the Mott Clinic for the years 1944-1973. The Mott Clinic team discovered the third cycle of the malaria parasite in the human liver in 1948.

For further details, see obituary, British Medical Journal, 26 Feb 1977, and H.R. Rollin "The Horton Malaria Laboratory ... 1925-1975" in Journal of Medical Biography, 1994, 2, 94-97.

Foundation of the Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 1907, with Sir Patrick Manson (then Dr) as President and Ronald Ross as Vice-President, by James Cantlie (later Sir James Cantlie) and George Carmichael Low. The objectives of the Society, which have remained vitually unchanged since, were the ' ... study and discussion of diseases met with in tropical [warm] countries involving ... medical men with tropical experience [and] every medical man engaged in the practice of medicine wherever his lot may be cast'; permssion granted by George V for the Society to call itself the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 1920; RSTMH moved to its current premises, Manson House, 26 Portland Place (designed by Robert Adam in 1778), 1931; first ordinary meeting held in new building. Jan 1932; formal opening of the new building by HRH the Prince of Wales, March 1932.

Stanley George Browne (CMG, OBE, MD, FRCS, FRCP, DTM) was born on 8 December 1907 in London, and studied medicine at King's College Hospital, London, graduating in 1933. He combined house appointments at King's with postgraduate study, and became Member, Royal College of Physicians, London in 1934 and Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1935. After being accepted by the Baptist Missionary Society (BMS) for work in the Belgian Congo (now the Democratic Republic of Congo), Browne studied French and tropical medicine at the Institute de Médecine Tropicale Prince Léopold, Antwerp, obtaining the Diploma in Tropical Medicine in 1936.

From 1936 to 1959 he worked at the BMS hospital in Yakusu, working to control trypanosomiasis and onchocerciasis in the surrounding area. His rural surveys showed a high incidence of leprosy, and he endeavoured to find the cause and cure for this disease, establishing a leprosarium at Yalisombo. While at the hospital he oversaw an area of 10,000 square miles, in which he developed a programme of community care based on 18 health centres and 36 treatment centres. This pioneering programme became a model in Africa for the control of endemic diseases.

From 1959 to 1966 Browne was Director of the Leprosy Research Unit, Uzuakoli, Eastern Nigeria (becoming known in West Africa as Mr Leprosy' and sometimesBonganga'), after which he became Director of the Leprosy Study Centre, London, 1966-1980.

Browne's outstanding skills in leprosy were in great demand throughout the world, and his very many advisory roles included Consultant Advisor in Leprosy, Department of Health and Social Security, 1966-1979, and Medical Consultant to the Leprosy Mission, 1966-1978. Similarly, he was involved with numerous leprosy organisations, including LEPRA (Medical Secretary, 1968-1973, Vice-President, 1984-1986) and the International Leprosy Association (Secretary-Treasurer, 1966-1984, Honorary Vice-President, 1984-1986). His contributions to tropical medicine were recognised by many awards, including the British Medical Association's Stewart Prize for Epidemiology, 1975, the Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine's JN Chaudry gold medal, 1978, and the Fellowship of King's College Hospital Medical School, also in 1978.

He was a dedicated and active Christian, and was president of the Christian Medical Fellowship of Great Britain, 1969-1971, and of the Baptist Union 1980-1981. He married Ethel Marion Williamson (known as Mali) in 1940. He died on 29 January 1986.

For further biographical material on Browne see his obituaries in The Lancet, 22 Feb 1986, p 455 and the British Medical Journal, vol 292, 15 Feb 1986, p 491; Munk's Roll, vol 8, p 59; and Who Was Who, 1981-1990, p 98.

Born in Clapham in 1861 of an English (Civil Servant) father and an Irish mother. At the age of 8 he went to Ushaw and at 16 to St Edmund's College, Ware. He tried his vocation with the Dominicans at Woodchester, but in 1880 aged 19 he went to Hammersmith College and then at 20, on to St Sulpice in Paris. After 2 years there he went to Louvain. He was ordained in Clapham in 1884 when he was 23.

Five years later he was appointed Rector of St John's Seminary Wonersh. In 1896 he was Coadjutor Bishop of Southwark and Archbishop of Westminster 1903-1935. During the Eucharistic Congress in London (1908) he defied a Government ban on public processions of the Blessed Sacrament by giving the Blessing from the Cathedral Loggia. He became Cardinal with the titular Church of Santa Pudenziana when he was 40 in 1911.

He became known for his patriotic speeches during the First World War, he upheld the rights of the Arabs in Palestine, was a fervent supporter of Catholic schools, denounced the violence in Ireland, reproved the Modernists, and was luke-warm towards inter-faith talks. He opposed the idea of a separate Catholic University and a Catholic Political Party. He died 1 January, 1935, aged 73.

Catholic Evidence Guild , Westminster

The Westminster chapter of the Catholic Evidence Guild, was commissioned by the Archbishop of Westminster in London, 1918. The purpose of the guild was to prepare the way to conversions to Roman Catholicism by overcoming incorrect impressions about the Church and its teachings. The best known site for its talks was Speakers' Corner, Hyde Park and Tower Hill was another favorite location. Weather permitting, the guild was active twice a week except during the coldest months. Members trained two other nights each week, deepening their knowledge of the subject for their talk, gaining a broad perspective of the main points of Catholic teaching, giving practice talks, and learning how to deal with hostile crowds. The guild in England was primarily composed of dedicated lay people but also included a few priests.

Catholic Missionary Society

The Catholic Missionary Society was founded by Cardinal Vaughan as the Westminster Missionaries. The central focus of the organisation was the conversion of non-Catholics, rather than non-Christians. Although there is a secondary note of those who 'profess no religion', the Church of England and in particular the 'High Church' party were the main targets. The other element which increasingly came to the fore in the practice of Parish Missions and Retreats by the CMS was reaching the 'lapsed'. The mission was seen as a chance to visit those whose practice of the faith (most obviously their attendance at mass and confession) were less than they had been. Often these were called 'Missions to Catholics and non-Catholics' indicating that their purpose was to deepen and renew the faith of Catholics, to bring back those whose faith was becoming inactive and to reach out to those who were members, if not necessarily active members, of other Christian Churches.

The CMS ceased service in 2003, with its work being continued by the Catholic Agency to Support Evangelisation. Its assets were transferred to the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales.

Born Liverpool, 25 September 1889. He was educated at Ushaw and at the Venerable English College, where he was ordained in 1916 during the First World War. He gained his Doctorate the following year. He then taught Classics, Philosophy and Theology at Ushaw for 12 years.

In 1930 he was appointed Rector of the College where during the next 8 years he watched Mussolini's rise to power. He was known affectionately to his students despite his strictness as 'Uncle Bill'.

In 1938 he became the first Apostolic Delegate to Great Britain, Gibraltar and Malta and he served in this post with such discretion that in 1953, long after the war, he became Archbishop of Liverpool and Archbishop of Westminster 1956-1962. He was created Cardinal Priest of Santi Nereo e Achilleo on 15 December 1958. He died in London on 22 January 1963 aged 73.