Mostrar 15888 resultados

Registo de autoridade

André Thoüin (1747-1824), head of the Jardin des Plantes, Paris, also elected a Member of the Academie des Sciences in 1795; André's 3 younger brothers: Jacques Thoüin (1751-1836); Gabriel Thoüin (d 1829); Jean Thoüin (d 1827); Their nephew Oscar Leclerc [Thoüin] (1798-1845). Oscar was the son of their sister Louise Thoüin (b.c.1764) and the writer and Revolutionary activist Jean-Baptiste Leclerc (1756-1826).

All were linked with the Jardin des Plantes in Paris and the worlds of botany and agriculture in some capacity and the papers reflect this as their main concern; for more details on the various individuals see Le jardin des plantes á la croisée des chemins avec Andre Thoüin, 1747-1824, edited by Yvonne Letouzey (Paris, 1989).

Luca Tozzi obtained his MD at Naples in 1661, and was Professor of Medicine and Mathematics. He was later appointed Physician to the Kingdom of Naples, and in 1695 succeeded Malpighi as Papal Physician. He was a follower of the chemiatric theories of Van Helmont and Sylvius.

Tubby , Alfred Herbert , 1862-1930 , orthopaedic surgeon

Alfred Herbert Tubby was an orthopaedic surgeon who worked at the Westminster, Royal National Orthopaedic and Evelina Hospitals. His work on Deformities became a standard text-book. He became FRCS in 1887.

During the first world war he was seconded for service as consulting surgeon to the British Mediterranean Expeditionary Force with the rank of temporary colonel on the Army Medical Staff, and later to the Egyptian Expeditionary Force, serving much of the time at Alexandria. In 1920 he published A Consulting Surgeon in the Near East (London: Christophers, 1920), which described his service during the war.

See Plarr's Lives of the fellows of the Royal College of Surgeons of England ["Plarr's lives"], Vol. II, pp. 438, 439.

Turner , Walter Pickett , d 1934 , physician

The author obtained his MD at Durham University in 1895, and was Assistant Medical Officer at Chatham Lunatic Asylum. He practised at Leytonstone 1895-1902, and later at Balham. His name is not found in the Register after 1933. His theories on tuberculosis received a derogatory notice in the British Medical Journal 1907, i, p. 383.

Verdeil , François , 1747-1832 , physician

Verdeil was an eminent Swiss physician and scientist who practised at Lausanne. He began to practise in 1770 (see MS.4921) and rose to become President of the Bureau de Santé for the city and Vice-President of the Collège de Médecine at Lausanne from 1797. In the latter he succeeded Samuel Auguste André David Tissot (1728-1797). In 1799 he became head of the Swiss Army Medical Services.

Vogt , Carl , 1817-1895 , naturalist

The author who was an eminent naturalist, studied at Giessen and worked with Agassiz. He had a medical degree, and in 1847 was lecturer at his old University. His activities in the events of 1848 in Germany forced him to flee to Switzerland, and in 1852 he was professor of zoology and geology at Geneva, where later he became a Swiss national.

George Wallich was born in 1815, the son of the Danish (later naturalised British) botanist Nathaniel Wallich (1786-1854). He qualified M.D. in Edinburgh in 1834 and served in the Indian Medical Service. He also wrote on marine biology. In the latter field he was increasingly convinced that his claims to primacy in various research discoveries were being ignored, and engaged in feuds with various scientific figures of the day. He died in 1899.

Waring , Edward John , 1819-1891 , surgeon

The author was a surgeon in the Indian Medical Service. He was promoted to Assistant Surgeon in 1849, and Surgeon in 1864. After serving in Jamaica as a surgeon he joined the Indian Medical Service and was stationed in the State of Travancore. Returning to England he took his FRCS in 1864 and obtained his MD at Aberdeen the next year. He was an early advocate of 'Cottage hospitals' and in later life devoted himself to medical philanthropic work (cf. BMJ 1891, i pp. 264, 265).

[Anna] Justina [Augusta] Wilson was born in 1863. Following her marriage she lived in India but returned to Europe following her husband's early retirement. After travelling widely in Europe, and studying massage in Sweden and Germany, she founded a School of Massage in Baker Street, London, about 1909. This later merged with the Swedish Institute in Cromwell Road, London (founded by Dr. Mary Hawkes), with Justina Wilson becoming Head of the merged institution. She embarked upon conventional medical training at the Royal Free Hospital whilst still Head of the Swedish Institute and also whilst in private practice, taking the Scottish triple qualification and the L.S.A. in 1916. She was a clinical assistant at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, London, and the National Hospital for Diseases of the Heart, and also took charge of the orthopaedic department of the Miller Hospital, Greenwich, before taking charge of the Electrotherapeutic Department of the Royal Free Hospital; she later took the same post at St. Mary's Hospital, London. She obtained the qualifications D.M.R.E. in 1920, M.R.C.P.E. in 1924 and F.R.C.P.E. in 1928; she was also an honorary member of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists. She died in 1949.

Gustave Jules Alphonse Witkowski was born in 1844 and trained as a doctor, presenting his MD thesis in 1872. He also wrote widely on a variety of subjects, chiefly upon medical history but also upon art and history in general. He died in 1923. A little further information may be found in [G.J. Witkowski], Docteur G.J. Witkowski : autobiographie (Paris?: no publisher noted, 1917).

Blagden , Sir , Charles , 1748-1820 , Knight , physician

Thomas Young was born, 1730; MD, University of Edinburgh, 1761; apprenticed as an apothecary and surgeon in Edinburgh, becoming a master surgeon in 1755; joined the Incorporation of Surgeons, 1751; Deacon of the Incorporation of Surgeons, 1756-1762; Professor of Midwifery at the University of Edinburgh, 1756-1783; Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, 1762; created a Lying-In Ward at the Royal Infirmary to give clinical lectures which eventually became the Edinburgh Maternity Hospital; died, 1783.

Henry Dundas was born 28 April 1742. He was educated at Edinburgh High School and Edinburgh University and was admitted as a member of the Faculty of Advocates in 1763. His family connections and skills as a public orator ensured him a thriving business as a barrister and at the age of twenty-four he was appointed Solicitor General for Scotland. From October 1774-1790 Henry Dundas served as a member of the House of Commons and in 1775 he was appointed Lord Advocate, a post he held until 1783. Henry Dundas' links with India began in April 1781 when he was appointed chairman of a secret committee on the war in the Carnatic and British possessions in India. The following year Dundas was appointed Minister Treasurer of the Navy, entered the Privy Council and took the office of the Keeper of the Scotch Signet. Although Dundas lost his job as Minister Treasurer of the Navy in 1783 he was made a member of the Board of Control for India in 1784 and became its President from 1793-1802. During this period he held a number of other political appointments most notably from 1791-1794 as Home Secretary, during which he defended the East India Company as Secretary of War in 1794 and as Keeper of the Privy Seal of Scotland in 1800. He was created Viscount Melville in 1802 and was First Lord of the Admiralty from May 1804-1805. It was following this appointment that he was accused of using monies for purposes other than the Navy. In June 1805 he was called upon to defend himself in the House of Commons and there was some debate over whether he should stand trial or face impeachment. The impeachment before the House of Lords took place in April 1806 and eventually Dundas was acquitted of all charges. He never again held public office and died on 28 May 1811.

Holloway Sanatorium Hospital for the Insane

Founded by Thomas Holloway (1800-1883), the hospital opened in 1885 as an asylum for the middle and upper classes. It closed in 1981.

Batt Family

The Batt Family were Surgeon Apothecaries, of Witney, Oxon.

St Bartholomew's Hospital , London

St Bartholomew's Hospital was founded, with the Priory of St Bartholomew, in 1123 by Rahere, a former courtier of Henry I. A vow made while sick on a pilgrimage to Rome, and a vision of St Bartholomew, inspired Rahere to found a priory and a hospital for the sick poor at Smithfield in London. Rahere was the first Prior of the Priory of Austin Canons in Smithfield and supervised the Hospital House. In 1170 a layman Adam the Mercer was given charge of the Hospital as the first Proctor and a certain amount of independence from the Priory was achieved. After 1170 grants were received by the Hospital, which attracted valuable endowments of property.

However, relations with the Priory remained problematic throughout the medieval period. There were conflicts over several issues, including the admittance of brethren, lay-brethren and sisters who cared for the sick in the early medieval period. Gradually the Hospital became independent, and was using a distinctive seal from about 1200. By 1300 the title of Proctor used for the head of the Hospital was dropped in favour of Master. By 1420 the two institutions had become entirely separate. As well as caring for patients from the City of London and the country the brethren looked after small children and babies from Newgate Prison, and orphans. By the 15th century a school had been formed with a latin master, and a night shelter for pilgrims and travellers was provided.

The Priory of St Bartholomew was closed during Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries in 1539, and although the Hospital was allowed to continue, its future was uncertain as it had no income. The citizens of London, concerned about the disappearance of provision for the sick poor and the possibility of plague, petitioned the King in 1538 for the grant of four hospitals in the City including St Bartholomew's. In 1546-1547 St Bartholomew's Hospital was refounded as a secular institution and a Master and Vice-Master, Curate, Hospitaller and Visitor of Newgate Prison were appointed. Henry issued a signed agreement dated December 1546 granting the Hospital to the City of London, and Letters Patent of January 1547 endowing it with properties and income, comprising most of its medieval property. Along with Bethlem, Bridewell and St Thomas', St Bartholomew's became one of four Royal Hospitals administered by the City.

In 1546 four Aldermen and eight Common Councillors of the City of London became the first Governors of the Hospital. They administered the Hospital and appointed paid officials, including a Renter-Clerk, Steward, Porter and eight Beadles. The Board of Governors also divided work amongst themselves. Four were Almoners with responsibility for admitting and discharging patients, ordering stock and checking bills. They worked closely with the Treasurer, responsible for Hospital finances. The weekly meetings of the Treasurer and Almoners developed into an executive committee in the 19th century, reporting to General Courts of the Governors, and became the Executive and Finance Committee in 1948. Other Governors were Surveyors of the Hospital buildings and property. The first professional Surveyor was appointed in 1748. Some Governors had responsibility for inspecting financial statements, and worked closely with the Treasurer and Almoners. Their meetings developed into the House Committee in the 18th century, dealing with leases, appointments and reports of the Hospital Surveyor. The House Committee met frequently and eventually came to manage the routine running of the Hospital. The General Courts of Governors were held two or three times a year. The basic constitution of the Hospital remained the same until the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948. The Medical Council was formed in 1842 to give expert advice to the Governors, and comprised all physicians and surgeons serving the Hospital.

The nursing staff on the Hospital's re-foundation consisted of a Matron and twelve Sisters, and there were also three Surgeons who had to attend the poor daily. Nurses, or "Sisters' helpers", were first recorded in 1647. Although a Physician had been provided for in the Agreement of 1546, the first Physician was not appointed until 1562. A Medical School was gradually established from the end of the 18th century, but its foundation is generally attributed to the efforts of the surgeon and lecturer John Abernethy, who in 1822 persuaded the Hospital Governors to pass a resolution giving formal recognition to the School. Bart's was one of the first hospitals in the 19th century to encourage the use of anaesthetics, making a great many more kinds of operation possible. Understanding of infection and the importance of antiseptic procedures in surgery were only gradually accepted at Bart's, but once adopted did a great deal to reduce patient mortality. The development of medical science, particularly in pathology and bacteriology, led to an increased knowledge of disease. X-rays were first used in the Hospital in 1896 and by the end of the century the first specialised departments had been established. A School of Nursing at St Bartholomew's was founded in 1877. A notable early Matron was Ethel Gordon Manson, better known as Mrs Bedford Fenwick, who encouraged a high standard of training and campaigned for the state registration of nurses.

All the medieval hospital buildings were demolished during the 18th century rebuilding programme, carried out to the designs of architect James Gibbs. The staircase leading to the Great Hall in the North Wing is decorated with two huge paintings by the artist William Hogarth. Other buildings have continued to be added as the need has arisen, including Medical College buildings, nurses' accommodation and new ward blocks.

The Hospital remained open throughout the World Wars, although during World War Two many services were evacuated to Hertfordshire and Middlesex. In 1954 it became the first hospital in the country to offer mega-voltage radiotherapy for cancer patients. Cancer services remain a speciality today. Other notable medical specialities are endocrinology and immunology (particularly HIV/AIDS), while a Day Surgery Unit and state-of-the-art operating theatres were opened in 1991 and 1993.

In 1948 St Bartholomew's became part of the National Health Service, and following re-organisation in 1974 became the teaching hospital for the newly-formed City and Hackney Health District, which included several other hospitals. In the late 1980s, Bart's was planning to set up a self-governing hospital trust when its future was called into question by the publication in 1992 of the Tomlinson Report of the Inquiry into the London Health Service. Bart's was not regarded as a viable hospital and its closure was recommended. The Government's response to this report (Making London Better, 1993), laid out three possible options for Bart's: closure, retention as a small specialist hospital, or merger with the Royal London Hospital and the London Chest Hospital. This produced an intense public debate and a campaign to save the Hospital on its Smithfield site. The result was St Bartholomew's remained open, and joined with the Royal London and the London Chest to form the Royal Hospitals NHS Trust in 1994, which became Barts and The London NHS Trust in 1999. St Bartholomew's Hospital now provides specialist cardiac and cancer care. The Medical Colleges of St Bartholomew's Hospital and the Royal London Hospital merged with Queen Mary, University of London in 1989, to form the Central and East London Confederation (CELC). Following the recommendations of the Tomlinson Report (1992) and the governmental response to it (Making London Better, 1993), the colleges united with Queen Mary and Westfield College in December 1995, to become known as Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry.

Court of Common Pleas

The case concerned Richard Paternoster's claim for damages after he was seized and certified as a lunatic in 1838. Witnesses included Edward James Seymour, Commissioner in Lunacy, Benjamin Hawes, MP, and Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Richard Paternoster went on to publish, in 1841, The madhouse system, a pamphlet attacking 'the absurdities of the Lunacy Act'.

Fordyce , George , 1736-1802 , physician

Born, Aberdeen, 1736; educated, school at Fouran, University of Aberdeen; trained with his his uncle, Dr John Fordyce of Uppingham, [1851-1855]; medical student, University of Edinburgh, 1855; M D, 1758; studied anatomy under Albinus at Leyden, 1759; commenced a course of lectures on chemistry, 1759; added courses on materia medica and the practice of physic, 1764, and continued to teach for nearly thirty years; licentiate of the College of Physicians, 1765; Physician, St Thomas's Hospital, 1770-1802; Fellow, Royal Society, 1776; 'speciali gratia' fellow of the College of Physicians, 1787; important part in compiling the new 'Pharmacopeia Londinensis,' issued 1788. assisted in forming a Society for the Improvement of Medical and Chirurgical Knowledge, 1793; died, 1802.

Hanbury , Daniel , 1825-1875 , pharmacologist

Born, 1825; his father was a partner in Allen and Hanbury's, an old-established Quaker chemist and druggist, Daniel joined the family business in 1841; qualified as a pharmaceutical chemist at the Pharmaceutical Society, 1857; Daniel became devoted to the study of pharmacognosy, or the knowledge of drugs, which at that time meant a close study of their botanical and geographical origins; retired from the family business to concentrate on research, 1870; died, 1875.

Publications: Pharmacographia (1874)

Society of Noviomagians

Founded in 1828 by A J Kempe (1785?-1846) and Thomas Crofton Croker (1798-1854), the Society was a convivial club composed of members of the Society of Antiquaries of London. It was dedicated to archaeology and to 'sciences comical and gastronomical'. Other members included Robert Lemon (1779-1835), William Jerdan (1782-1869), John Bowyer Nichols (1779-1863), John Bruce (1802-1869), and Samuel Cowper Brown, MRCS, 'physician in ordinary to the Society'.

Association for the Advancement of Medicine by Research

The Association for the Advancement of Medicine by Research was formed at the time of the passing of the Cruelty to Animals Act 'when a sudden hindrance was thrown in the way of physiological and pathological investigators' (British Medical Journal, v.2(1594); Jul 18, 1891)

Ware , James , 1756-1815 , ophthalmic surgeon

James Ware was an eminent surgeon and oculist, born about 1756, Portsmouth. After having been demonstrator of anatomy at Cambridge, he formed a partnership in the metropolis with Mr Wathen, which continued until 1791; after which he practised on his own account and attained a first-rate reputation. Among his works are Observations on Ophthlamy, Remarks on Fistula Lachrymalis, Chirurgical Observations. He was a Fellow of the Royal Society. He died 1815.

Lee , Henry , 1826-1888 , naturalist

Henry Lee was naturalist to the Brighton Aquarium and a Fellow of the Linnean, Geological and Zoological Societies.

[Jonas] Henrik Kellgren (1837-1916) was a practitioner of Swedish medical gymnastics and helped to disseminate the technique beyond Sweden. He was born in Alingsas, southern Sweden, matriculated in 1855 and became an officer in the Swedish Army in 1858. In 1863-1865 he trained at the Kungliga Gymnastika Centralinstitut in Stockholm (founded 1813 by Per Henrik Ling, the pioneer of medical gymnastics), gaining the institute's diploma, and took up the post of teacher of pedagogical gymnastics at Lidköping. Following the death of his wife and son, however, he left Sweden and settled in Germany, setting up the Schwedisches Heilgymnastisches Institut in Gotha. In the early 1870s his health broke down and he retired from full-time work, taking up residence in London. Here he founded the Swedish Institution for the Cure of Diseases by Manual Treatment. An expanding practice was reflected in the foundation of further institutes in the German resorts of Norderney (1877) and Baden-Baden (1883), and in Paris (1884); in summer he took patients to Sanna, near Jönköping in Sweden, leading to the foundation of a sanatorium there. He became the director of the Kungliga Gymnastika Centralinstitut in Stockholm. His son-in-law, Edgar Ferdinand Cyriax, who took up residence in London, was also an important figure in the spread of Kellgren's techniques of Swedish remedial gymnastics and massage to the United Kingdom.

William Ackland (c 1791-1867), William Henry Ackland (c 1825-1898), Charles Kingsley Ackland (1859-1940) and the latter's nephew Martin Wentworth Littlewood (1888-1972) were four generations of general practitioners who had a practice in Bideford, Devon.

Born, 1877; Graduated MB. BS. University of Durham, 1898; Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne; Postgraduate study at Vienna; MS, 1901; FRCS, 1903; Elected to staff of Royal Infirmary, 1906; Service with R.A.M.C. at home and overseas - for a time as consulting surgeon in Mesopotamia; 1914-1918; Council of Royal College of Surgeons, 1926-1950; Professor Surgery in University of Durham, 1927; President of the Association of Surgeons of GB and Ireland Hunterian Professor, 1928; Orator, Medical Society of London, 1929; President Medical Society of London, 1934; Professor of Surgery in new British Postgraduate Medical School, 1935; Vice President, Royal College of Surgeons, 1937-1939; President, Medical Society of London, 1943-1944; died, 1951.

Reeve , Henry , 1780-1814 , physician

Born, 1780; spent four years studying under the Norwich surgeon Philip Meadows Martineau, before matriculating at Edinburgh University in 1800; graduated MD at Edinburgh, 1803; attended Robert Willan's practice at the Public Dispensary in Carey Street, London, 1803; fellow of the Medical Society of London, 1803; went on a year-long European tour, 1805-1806; extra-licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians, 1807; private practice in Norfolk; physician to the Norfolk Public Dispensary; physician to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and the Bethel Hospital for Lunatics, 1808; died, 1814.

Corbyn and Co.

The firm of Corbyn and Co., wholesale, retail and manufacturing chemists and druggists, was founded by Thomas Corbyn (1711-1791), who used his connections as a member of the Society of Friends to build up an extensive overseas trade. After successive changes of name, the firm became known as Corbyn, Stacey and Co. It was liquidated in 1927.

Graham , Thomas , 1818-1850 , naval surgeon

Thomas Graham was born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and studied medicine at Edinburgh University from 1835 (MD 1838). In 1841 he was appointed an assistant naval surgeon by the Board of Admiralty, serving initially at Melville Hospital, Chatham, then aboard HMS Warspite in home waters, in the Atlantic, American waters, and the Mediterranean between 1841 and 1846. In that year he was commissioned as assistant surgeon of HMS Madagascar, serving mainly in the west of Ireland, where he took a prominent part in assisting the relief of distress during the Famine. In 1849 he was commissioned with the same rank to HMS Hastings, based in Hong Kong, travelling out to meet her aboard the troopship Apollo. In March 1850 he was promoted surgeon, to serve on HMS Phlegethon at Whampoa (now Huangpu), but died a few weeks later on 13 July 1850 from malaria. He is buried on Dane's Island, near Canton (Guangzhou).

Nightingale , Florence , 1820-1910 , nursing reformer

Florence Nightingale was born to a wealthy family in 1820. She entered into cottage visiting and nursing early, and from 1844 to 1855 visited hospitals in London and abroad. Returning from an 1849-1850 tour of Egypt she visited the Kaiserswerth Institute for deaconesses and nurses and trained here as a nurse in 1851. In 1853 she became Superintendent of the Hospital for Invalid Gentlewomen in London. In 1855 at the invitation of Sidney Herbert she took a party of nurses to the Crimean War, serving at the hospital in Scutari Barracks and also visiting Balaclava. On her return to the United Kingdom she engaged in a campaign for the sanitary reforms that she had instituted in the Crimea to be accepted as general practice. Her campaigning led to the foundation of the Nightingale School and Home for Nurses at St. Thomas's Hospital, London. She was also involved in campaigning for humanitarian aid during the Franco-Prussian War, for improved sanitation in India, and for cottage hospitals in the United Kingdom. She died in 1910.

Lardner , Dionysius , 1793-1859 , scientific writer

Dionysius Lardner was a scientific writer who popularised science and technology, and edited the, 133-volume, Cabinet Cyclopedia. He was chair of natural philosophy at the London University, 1827-1831.

General Apothecaries Co. Ltd

General Apothecaries Co. Ltd was in active operation from 1856. It claimed (in 1941) to be 'the only company that is run by medical men for the benefit of the medical profession'.

Not given

Not given