Medical librarian and historian, attached to Wellcome Historical Medical Museum. For detail on the formative years of the Wellcome museum, Thompson's role in this and his disagreements with Henry Wellcome see John Symons, Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine: a short history (London: The Wellcome Trust, [1993]).
The Colles family were based in Dublin in the late 18th century, later moving to Great Britain.
Richard Ernest Crompton was a 41-year-old gas-inspector in Bolton who enlisted in the RAMC in August 1915 for the duration of the war and served with the 93rd Field Ambulance. He was a widower with two daughters, Celia and Dora, apparently being looked after by his sister-in-law, Margaret Rushton.
David Fraser Fraser-Harris (1867-1937) was employed by the Wellcome Historical Medical Museum.
John Abernethy was born in London in 1764 and attended Wolverhampton Grammar School. He trained in medicine at St. Bartholomew's Hospital and the London Hospital, being named Assistant Surgeon at St. Bartholomew's in 1787. From 1791 onwards he gave extremely popular lectures on anatomy, physiology and surgery which were the basis of modern medical training at St. Bartholomew's; indeed, his eminence in the medical profession of the time is due to these talents as an educator and presenter rather than to original research. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1796 and became full Surgeon to St. Bartholomew's in 1815. He resigned the latter post in 1827 and died in 1831.
William Prout obtained his MD at Edinburgh University in 1811, and then began practice in London. He was a pioneer in physiological and organic chemistry, and lectured at his residence to a small but distinguished audience including Sir Astley Paston Cooper. (See MS.4016.) He was elected FRS in 1819, and FRCP in 1829.
The Bridgewater Treatises represented in this collection were the result of a bequest of £8,000 to the Royal Society by the Earl of Bridgewater, to finance the publication of a work or works "on the power, wisdom, and goodness, of God, as manifested in the creation". Eight were completed.
Unknown
Theodore Dyke Acland was educated at Winchester College and Christchurch College Oxford, obtaining his MD at Oxford in 1883. He was elected FRCP in 1889. In 1893 he was appointed physician to St. Thomas's Hospital, London. During the First World War he served as consulting physician to the London district. Further biographical information can be found in G.H. Brown, Lives of the fellows of the Royal College of Physicians of London, 1826-1925 (London, Royal College of Physicians of London, 1955), volume 4 of the cumulative series of Fellows' lives known as "Munk's roll".
In the seventeenth century, Edinburgh physicians began to hold meetings in their own homes to discuss the regulation of medical practice and the ways in which standards in medicine could be improved.
Sir Robert Sibbald, an eminent physician and noted historian, was a member of this group. He had the opportunity to petition King Charles II, who granted the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh its Royal Charter in 1681.
Thus, Sir Robert is generally accepted to be the founder of the College. The founding Fellows of the College were concerned not only with the advancement of medicine as a reputable science, but also with alleviating the miseries of the City's poor and needy.
For more than 300 years, the College has remained independent of control by government, and its mission today lies close to the ideals of its founders 'to promote the highest standards in internal medicine' not only in Edinburgh where it was founded and has developed, but wherever its Fellows, Collegiate members and Members practise.
The College acts in an advisory capacity to government and other organisations on many aspects of health and welfare and medical education. It was instrumental in founding the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh in 1729 and, over the years, has influenced the development of medical schools in North America, Australasia, Asia and Africa.
The Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh now has over 10,000 Fellows and Members and maintains strong links with many overseas countries, where more than half of them live and practise medicine. (Copied from http://www.rcpe.ac.uk/about/history.php)
After being a student of Owen's College, Manchester, the author obtained his MD at Cambridge in 1892, having studied also in Germany and in France. In the same year he was appointed to the Chair of Pathology and Bacteriology at McGill University, Montreal. He was A.D.M.S. to the Canadian Expeditionary Forces in 1914-1918, and had been elected FRS in 1905.
Edward Barclay-Smith was Professor of Anatomy at Cambridge University.
Robert Storrs was born on 23 June 1801, only child of John Storrs, a baker and provision dealer of Doncaster, and his wife Elizabeth (née Robertshaw). Robert was apprenticed for several years to a local surgeon, John Moore and an apothecary, Benjamin Popplewell, before leaving in August 1822 to spend two years walking the wards of Guy's Hospital, London. Whilst there he presented four papers to the Guy's Hospital Physical Society. In London he met his future wife, Martha Townsend, whom he eventually married in March 1827. They had thirteen children, of whom twelve survived their father.
Storrs returned to Doncaster in June 1824 to set up as a sole practitioner in the town. In July 1830 he was appointed honorary surgeon to Doncaster Dispensary. He was heavily involved in treating victims of cholera in 1832. In 1835 he was elected a municipal councillor on a Reform ticket, and in 1837 was one of the founder members of the Doncaster Lyceum. The extent to which his practice had prospered can be gauged from the census return for his household in 1841, when it comprised in addition to family members, a governess, two surgeon apprentices, and one male and four female servants. Storrs later took a close interest in puerperal or childbed fever as a result of the notorious outbreak which struck Doncaster in 1841, and he subsequently published the results of his investigations in the Provincial Medical Journal. He died of typhus on 14 September 1847.
The author obtained his MD at Edinburgh in 1869, and was elected FRCP in 1875, and was Professor of Clinical Medicine at Edinburgh University in 1885. He was knighted in 1911 [Cf. B.M.J. 1922, i, pp. 617, 618.]
The television series was produced by Bill Duncalf, with the exception of the 1961 programme on Ross which was produced by Shelagh Rees. The first two scripts were also by Duncalf; Anthony Coburn and Anthea Browne-Wilkinson scripted the 1961 programmes.
Hedwig ('Hedy') Lehmann was born 19 August 1919. She left her home in Hamburg, Germany, in 1939, aged 19. She was amongst the last groups of Jewish people to leave Nazi Germany whilst it was still possible to safely and legitimately do so. Entering England as a refugee she initially settled in Streatham, South West London, and spent some time learning English before studying to become a nurse. She married A W F Charlton in 1945. Hedy Lehmann qualified as a State Registered Nurse (SRN) and State Fever Nurse (SFN) and practised in nursing both before and after having a family. She died in Southall, Middlesex, on 16 Jun 2002.
Bernhard Siegfried Albinus (originally Weiss) was born, 1697 at Frankfurt (Oder); stuided medicine at Leiden University, 1702-; Lecturer at Leiden University on anatomy and surgery, 1719-1721; Professor of Anatomy and Surgery, Leiden University, 1721-1745; Professor of the Practice of Medicine, 1745-; died, 1770.
George Paterson [1734-1817] matriculated at Leyden University on March 4th, 1763.
See BMJ 1971 iii p.119.
Unknown.
Andouille is described as 'Maître-Chirurgien juré et Démonstrateur Royal de St. Cosme'. The author is called 'celeberriums Chirurgus' by Haller (cf. Bibliotheca Chirurgica, Vol. II, p. 384): he was a 'Premier Chirurgien du Roy' in 1742.
Sir Frederick William Andrewes (1859-1932) was appointed pathologist to St. Bartholomew's Hospital in 1897.
The author had been a pupil and friend of Esquirol, was appointed Physician to the Bicêtre Hospital in 1840, and was later Médecin en Chef at Charenton.
Eusebius Ashby of Blaby in Leicestershire, son of George Ashby of Quenby in the same County.
Robina Addis was one of the earliest professionally trained psychiatric social workers in Britain, qualifying in 1933. She went on to have a varied career, first in child guidance and then for the National Association for Mental Health, from which she retired in 1965.
Mourant was born on 11 April in 1904 in Jersey. He was educated at Victoria College, Jersey before winning a King Charles I Scholarship to Exeter College Oxford where he read Chemistry. He graduated with a first class degree in Chemistry (taking crystallography as his special subject) and in 1926 went on to do research under J.A. Douglas on the geology of the Channel Islands (D.Phil. 1931). In 1928 he was appointed Demonstrator in Geology at Leeds University and the following year was given a place on the Geological Survey of Great Britain mapping coal measures in Lancashire. He left in 1931. Mourant's interest in geology continued throughout his life and he continued to publish articles on geology alongside haematological and medical publications.
Mourant returned to Jersey and in 1933 established the Jersey Chemical Pathology Laboratory, which he ran for five years. He then returned to London, intending to pursue a career as a psychoanalyst. As part of the necessary preparation he underwent psychoanalysis himself and in 1939 began medical training at St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College, London. On the outbreak of war Mourant continued his medical training but when Jersey was occupied by the Germans in 1940 he lost contact with his family who remained on the island. During the period 1940-1945 Mourant played an active role in Channel Island exile groups.
Mourant graduated B.M. and B.Ch. in 1943 and held a number of House posts before his appointment in 1944 as Medical Officer in the National Blood Transfusion Service. Mourant had developed an interest in haematology during his medical training and during this period pursued research into blood serum. He discovered the antibody anti-e, thus helping to establish the three-factor theory of the Rhesus system, and the Lewis factor and shared in the discovery of the Kell factor. With R.R. Race and R.R.A. Coombs he went on to develop the antiglobulin test.
In 1945 Mourant took up a post as Medical Officer with the Galton Laboratory Serum Unit before in 1946 being appointed Director of the Medical Research Council (MRC)'s newly established Blood Group Reference Laboratory, based at the Lister Institute of Preventive Medicine, London. Mourant held this post to 1965. The Laboratory received international recognition in 1952 when the World Health Organisation named it as their International Blood Group Reference Laboratory. Mourant's interests were increasingly anthropological and his work on human blood group distribution world-wide saw publication of two major books: in 1953 the pioneering work The Distribution of Human Blood Groups and other Biochemical Polymorphisms and in 1958 The ABO Blood Groups and Maps of World Distribution. In 1952 Mourant was appointed Honorary Advisor (de facto Director) of the newly established Nuffield Blood Group Centre. It was administered by and housed in the Royal Anthropological Institute, reporting to its Blood Group Committee. From 1952 to 1962 the Centre was funded by the Nuffield Foundation but the MRC then took over responsibility for financing the Centre, which changed its name to the Anthropological Blood Group Centre.
In September 1965 Mourant retired from the Directorship of the Blood Group Reference Laboratory to become Head of the MRC's newly established Serological Population Genetics Laboratory (SPGL). This was established by the MRC as a unit that would combine the testing work undertaken in the Blood Group Reference Laboratory with the statistical and bibliographical work of the Anthropological Blood Group Centre, which was then amalgamated into the SPGL. The work of the SPGL was thus divided between two sections. The first was a testing laboratory, working principally for the Human Adaptability Section of the International Biological Programme (IBP). The second comprised the Anthropological Blood Group Centre that had been transferred to the SPGL, concentrating on preparing a second edition of The Distribution of the Human Blood Groups. The SPGL was based in premises rented by St Bartholomew's Hospital, London.
In 1971 the MRC announced that it was to close the SPGL. However, Mourant was anxious that the SPGL complete its work on The Distribution of the Human Blood Groups and other projects, including its work for the IBP. The MRC agreed to extend its support of the work on the distribution of human blood groups to 1973. Through assiduous fund-raising Mourant found support for the other projects and was able to see them through to completion. The SPGL finally closed in 1976. Mourant retired to the family home in Jersey where he continued to publish on haematology and physical anthropology as well as geology. Mourant was elected FRS in 1966. He died on 29 August 1994.
Professor Arthur Robertson Cushny, FRS (1866-1926) Professor of Pharmacology, University College London and Edinburgh University.
Norman Henry Ashton was born in London on the 11th of September 1913. He became a junior laboratory assistant at a private laboratory in Brook Street, London in 1928 where he remained until 1931. He then moved to the Princess Beatrice Hospital, West Kensington, London where he was pathological laboratory assistant. While in this post he studied for the examinations of the College of Preceptors, which could be taken part-time, first at the Chelsea Polytechnic, then at Kings College, and later at Westminster Hospital Medical School. In 1939 he qualified in Medicine and Surgery and Registered as a Medical Practitioner (MRCS, LRCP). After 2 years at Westminster Hospital he moved to the Kent and Canterbury Hospital in 1941 where he was pathologist until 1945.
In 1946, Ashton enlisted in the Royal Army Medical Corps and was posted in West Africa , before being transferred to Egypt in 1947. He was discharged from the Army in the same year and became Director of Pathology at the Institute of Ophthalmology in 1948. Here he established a laboratory of international repute, which contributed to research and provided a clinical service to Moorfields Eye Hospital and other hospitals around the world. He was responsible for the training of the first generation of ophthalmic pathologists in Britain. He remained at the Institute until his retirement in 1978. He was also Professor of Pathology at the University of London from 1957 to 1978.
In 1953, Ashton's investigations into Retrolental Fibroplasia (RLF), now known as Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP), revealed that the exposure of premature babies to high levels of oxygen in order to relieve breathing difficulties, could cause an obliteration of growing retinal blood vessels followed by disorganised regrowth and scarring which led to blindness. As a consequence, oxygen delivery to babies was strictly controlled and the sight of many infants was saved. In 1960, he was the first in Europe to identify Toxocara Canis (the dog roundworm) as a cause of retinal disease in children, leading to a national campaign to rid the streets of dog faeces. In 1965, he founded Fight for Sight (one of the foremost charities supporting eye research in the UK) and was chairman of the charity from 1980 to 1991, when he became a patron. He had a key role in establishing the European Pathology Society, of which he was made life president. Ashton's other major research was in the areas of diabetic retinopathy (retinal disease caused by diabetes) and hypertensive retinopathy (retinal disease caused by high blood pressure).
Professor Ashton received countless honours and awards for his academic achievements, including the Doyne Medal in 1960. In 1971 he was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society and was appointed CBE in 1976. Two years later, he was awarded the Gonin Gold Medal (the highest award for ophthalmology). In honour of his work for Fight for Sight and his research achievements, the new Institute of Ophthalmology building which opened in Bath Street, London in 1992 was named after him. In 1981 Ashton received the first Jules Stein Award with A Patz, he also received the International Pisart Vision Award in 1991, the Royal Society's Buchanan Medal in 1996, and the Helen Keller Prize in 1998. At various stages of his career and his retirement he was president of five societies of pathology and ophthalmology and was elected Master of the Society of Apothecaries in 1984. In all, he contributed to 274 scientific publications during his lifetime.
In addition to his professional accomplishments, Ashton was a highly acclaimed and witty public speaker as well as a keen performer of amateur dramatics and a gifted artist. He died in London on the 4th of January 2000.
Sir Alan Sterling Parkes was an endocrinologist and Fellow of the Royal Society. Parkes worked through an epoch-making era in reproductive biology.
William Allen Daley held public health offices from the beginning of his career and was the Chief Medical Officer of Health for London County Council from 1939 until his retirement in February 1952, after which he was an Associate Member of the Baltimore Public Health Dept for 4 months.
After returning to Britain, Daley continued to serve on a variety of committees, relating to community health and ancillary professions, as well as other health and medical matters. He was involved in several special studies or projects, either as part of the particular committee or because he was invited to by the organisation. Very often a report was produced as a result of the work or study undertaken by Daley; in most cases, these reports can be found among these papers.
Thomas Barlow was born on 4 September 1845 at Brantwood Fold, Edgworth, near Bolton, Lancashire, the eldest son of James Barlow (1821-1887), mill-owner, and his wife Alice née Barnes (d. 1888). He attended local schools and in 1863 went to Owen's College Manchester to read natural science, graduating BSc. (London) in 1867. He went up to University College London to study medicine in 1868, and on qualifying in 1870 was appointed house physician to Sir William Jenner at University College Hospital. He was awarded his MB and BS in November 1873 (MD 1874). In April 1874 he was appointed medical registrar at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, which was to be the principal locus of Barlow's research activities. He later served successively as assistant physician and full physician at Great Ormond Street until 1899. He also held the posts of assistant physician at Charing Cross Hospital (1875 -77) and at the London Hospital (1877-80), and assistant physician and later full physician at University College Hospital from 1880 to 1910. From 1895 to 1907 Barlow held the Holme chair of clinical medicine.
Barlow made his name as a specialist in childhood diseases in the 1870s and '80s; he is above all associated with the isolation of infantile scurvy - so-called 'Barlow's disease' - as a disease distinct from rickets, with which it was routinely confused prior to the 1880s. In 1883 he published his first findings on infantile scurvy in a paper entitled 'On cases described as "acute rickets" ... the scurvy being an essential and the rickets a variable element', in Medico-Chirurgical Transactions,1883, 66: 199-220. He greatly expanded the number of cases investigated for his Bradshaw lecture of 1894, entitled 'Infantile scurvy and its relation to rickets'. Barlow also made significant research contributions in the areas of meningitis and rheumatic illness in children. Later he turned his attention to neurological illnesses such as Raynaud's disease and erythromelalgia.
Barlow enjoyed a successful private practice, based first in Montague Street, Bloomsbury, and from 1887 at number 10, Wimpole Street. His patients eventually included members of the highest social circles, such as the dukes of Grafton and Rutland, lords Selborne and Salisbury, and Randall Davidson, archbishop of Canterbury. In 1896 he was appointed physician to the royal household, and spent part of September 1897 deputising for Sir James Reid at Balmoral; from 1899 to 1901 he was physician-extraordinary to Queen Victoria, being present at her deathbed. He continued to hold appointments at court under Edward VII and George V. In 1901 he was created a baronet and later the same year appointed KCVO. In 1902 Barlow was one of the royal doctors who successfully piloted Edward VII though his appendectomy.
Barlow's was made a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1909, and served as President of the Royal College of Physicians from 1910 to 1914; in August 1913 he presided at the 17th International Medical Congress in London.
In December 1880 Barlow married Ada Helen Dalmahoy, a former ward sister at Great Ormond Street Hospital; they had three sons and two daughters, the younger of whom died in infancy. The eldest son was Sir (James) Alan Noel Barlow (1881-1968), the second was Sir Thomas Dalmahoy Barlow (1883-1964); the third, Patrick Basil Barlow ( 1884-1917), died on the Western Front.
Barlow was brought up as a Methodist, and was a lifelong teetotaller. From 1923 to 1930 he was President of the National Temperance League. In retirement he spent more time at his country home, Boswells, near Wendover in Buckinghamshire. He continued to travel, at home and abroad, accompanied by his surviving daughter, Helen, who never married. Barlow died at no 10 Wimpole Street on 12 January 1945, aged 99.
Edith Bülbring, the daughter of a Dutch Jewish mother and German father, came to England in 1933, after being dismissed from a research post in Berlin because of her Jewish background. In 1938 she settled in Oxford and, working in the University's Department of Pharmacology, became a leading authority on the physiology and pharmacology of smooth muscle (visceral or involuntary muscle). In 1958 she was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society, and in 1970 Smooth Muscle was published in her honour.
Born 27 December 1903 in Bonn, fourth and youngest child of Karl Daniel Bülbring, Professor of English at Bonn University, and Hortense Leonore (née Kann) Bülbring; Klostermann Lyzeum, 1910-1920; student at the Bonn Gymnasium, 1922; entered Bonn University, 1923; clinical training in Munich, Freiburg and Bonn, 1925-1928; MD Bonn, 1928; worked with P Trendelenburg, Professor of Pharmacology in Berlin, 1929-1931; paediatrician in Jena, 1931; assistant to U Friedemann, immunologist, in Berlin, 1932; dismissed from position in Berlin because mother was Jewish, 1933. Came to England on holiday. Via Freidemann and Henry Dale, became a research assistant to JH Burn, 1933-1938; worked with Burn in the Pharmacological laboratories of the Pharmaceutical Society in London, mainly standardising hormone and vitamin preparations; Demonstrator in the Department of Pharmacology at Oxford University, where Burn was now Professor, 1938; 1938-1949 With Burn, researched the autonomic nervous system, 1938-1949; began concentrating research on smooth muscle, 1940s; naturalisation, 1948; visit to the United States, 1949-1950; elected Fellow of the Royal Society for work on smooth muscle, 1958; appointed Reader in Pharmacology, Oxford University and Elected Active Member of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1960; appointed Professor of Pharmacology, Oxford University, 1967; publication of Smooth Muscle (London: Edward Arnold), 1970; retired, 1971; research in the Laboratory of Physiology at Oxford University, 1971-1981; awarded the Schmiedeberg-Plakette der Deutschen Pharmakologischen Gesellschaft, 1974; elected to an Honorary Fellowship, Lady Margaret Hall, 1975; elected Honorary Member of the Physiological Society, 1981; awarded the Wellcome Gold Medal in Pharmacology, 1985; died 5 July 1990.
Christine Mary Murrell was born in 1874 and was given educational and other encouragement by her family to seek a public and professional career. She went to the London Medical School for Women in 1894, graduating MB BS in 1899, and was the second women to be appointed a house physician at the Royal Free Hospital. She also held an appointment at the Northumberland County Asylum which stimulated an interest in early mental disorder leading to an MD on that subject in 1905. She set up in general practice in Bayswater with Honor Bone, whom she had met at the London School, and developed a large and successful practice in this residential area, something still unusual for women in the early twentieth century. She also found time and energy to preside over one of the Infant Welfare Clinics established under the auspices of the St Marylebone Health Society, and to undertake lectures for the London County Council and other bodies on health and related subjects. Her 1923 book Womanhood and Health contains material which had formed part of her lectures. It embodied not only her medical knowledge but her feminist beliefs, arguing against received assumptions about the physiological disabilities of women. Besides leading an active professional life she took a considerable interest in public matters. She supported the militant suffrage movement as well as other campaigns for the benefit of women. She was active in the Medical Women's Federation, serving as its President 1926-1928, and founded its loan fund for junior medical women. She also took part in the wider field of medical politics as represented by the British Medical Association, and was the first woman appointed to its Central Council, in 1924, as well as serving on numerous other BMA committees. She was the first woman to be appointed to the General Medical Council, in 1933, although her premature death occurred before she was able to take her seat.
Cicely Delphine Williams was born December 1893. She first attracted the attention of the medical world when she identified the protein deficiency disease kwashiorkor whilst working with the British Colonial Service in the Gold Coast in 1928-1935, and she continued to be active in the debate over protein nutrition throughout her life. She was equally important as a pioneer of maternal and child care in developing countries with a system based on local traditions and resources rather than on the use of expensive drugs and western systems of child care. As first Head of the Maternal and Child Health Section of the World Health Organisation in 1949-1951 she expounded this philosophy, as she did in subsequent teaching appointments in Beirut, America and London. Her primary area of interest was maternal and child health, encompassing nutrition, breast feeding, birth control, the training of personnel and the development of health services. She was an active member of the Medical Association for the Prevention of War, speaking at their meetings. Williams died in 1992.
Charles Enrique Dent was born in 1911. Having begun his scientific career as a chemist, Dent qualified in medicine in 1944 and then began to work on disorders of amino-acid metabolism, being an early pioneer of the technique of paper chromatography for the analysis of body fluids. He developed both chromatographic and chemical tests for metabolic disorders and was instrumental in defining a number of new amino acid diseases. Another associated early interest was in metabolic bone diseases such as rickets and osteomalacia. These concerns broadened over his career to include the cause and treatment of many conditions such as hyperparathyroidism, renal stone formation, sarcoidosis and various malabsorption syndromes. A continuing interest in genetics accompanied the study and treatment of all these conditions as many were shown to be hereditary. Several are also associated with mental deficiency.
An outline of Dent's life follows:
1911: born in Burgos, Spain (family normally resident in Singapore); 1915: family moved to England. Educated at Bedford School and Wimbledon College (exact dates unknown); 1927: left school to work in a bank; subsequently left, obtained a post as a laboratory technician and studied at evening classes at Regent Street Polytechnic; 1930: became a Chemistry student at Imperial College, London; 1931/2: BSc, Chemistry; 1934: PhD on copper phthalocyanin (later marketed by ICI as 'Monastral Blue'); Went to work for ICI Dyestuffs Group in Manchester; 1937: entered Univeristy College, London, as a medical student; 1939-1945: war service in France and as a consultant in chemistry in the scientific department of British censorship (as a specialist in secret writing), including service in Bermuda and the USA; 1943: awarded FRIC; 1944: qualified in medicine and became house physician to Sir Thomas Lewis at UCL; Married Margaret Ruth Coad; 1945: became Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians. Appointed Assistant to the Medical Unit at UCH Medical School under Sir Harold Himsworth; Went to the recently liberated concentration camp at Belsen as part of the MRC study group; studied the treatment of starvation by amino-acid mixtures; 1946-1947: Rockefeller scholarship - studied in Rochester, NY, USA. Post-war research, initially in the field of amino-acid metabolism. Pioneer in the field of partition chromatography for the study of biological fluids. Developed methods of random testing for metobolic disorders; Defined new amino-acid diseases such as various forms of Fanconi syndrome, Hartnup disease, argininosuccinic aciduria and homocystinuria; 1949: awarded MD; 1951: persuaded University College Hospital, London, to establish a metabolic ward with beds, laboratories and outpatient clinics. Appointed Reader in medicine. Research interests broadened to include the study of clinical disorders of calcium and phosphorus metabolism, vitamin D deficiency and the action of parathyroid; increasing emphasis on the clinical side of his work, rather than laboratory science; 1954: became Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians; 1956: appointed Professor of Human Metabolism; 1962: appointed Fellow of the Royal Society; 1976: awarded CBE. Died, September.
Born, 1875; Educated at Notting Hill High School, following by University College London, graduating BSc; Awarded an 1851 Exhibition to study bacteriology in Vienna and Munich, and also in Liverpool; Appointed (against considerable opposition as a woman) to the Jenner Memorial Research Studentship at the Lister Institute, London, 1905; work with (Sir) Charles J Martin at the Lister Institute on the process of disinfection, 1905-1908; War work on tetanus antitoxin and serum diagnosis of typhoid, paratyphoid and dysentery, 1915; Secretary of the Medical Research Council Accessory Food Factors Committee, 1918-1945; With colleagues at the Lister, travels to Vienna under the auspices of the Accessory Food Factors Committee to investigate nutritional deficiencies, leading to the discovery of the roles of ultraviolet light and administration of codliver oil in preventing rickets, 1919-1922; Returns to the Lister, continues studies on nutritional factors, 1922; Secretary of the League of National Health Section Committee on the Physiological Bases of Nutrition, 1934-1937.
Moves with the Lister Institute Division of Nutrition to Sir Charles Martin's house in Cambridge, work on nutritive value of bread, flour and potatoes, 1939-1945; founder member of the Nutrition Society, 1941; Retires, becomes member of governing body of the Lister Institute, 1945; President of the Nutrition Society, 1956-1959; died, 1977.