Mostrar 15888 resultados

Registo de autoridade
MCC , Middlesex County Council x Middlesex County Council

The National Health Service Act, 1948, transferred the County Council's responsibility for the provision of a countywide hospital service to the new regional hospital boards. The Act came into force in July 1948. In the same month the National Assistance Act was enforced and transferred the responsibility of the County Councils for relieving financial distress to the National Assistance Board. Thus a new Welfare Department was set up as successor to the Public Assistance Department. The first meeting of the Welfare Committee took place on 5 July 1948.

Under Part III of the National Assistance Act the Welfare Department had the following functions:

1 Provision of residential accommodation for the aged and infirm

2 Provision of temporary accommodation for the homeless

3 Promotion of the welfare of people with disabilities such as blindness;

and under Part IV of the Act:

4 Administration of the registration of all homes for the elderly and disabled and responsibility to ensure the homes were suitably maintained

5 Registration of charities for the disabled

6 Provision of temporary protection of moveable property of certain persons

The following areas were used to administer these responsibilities within Middlesex:

Area 1: Enfield, Edmonton

Area 2: Southgate, Wood Green, Potters Bar, Friern Barnet

Area 3: Tottenham, Hornsey

Area 4: Hendon, Finchley

Area 5: Harrow

Area 6: Wembley, Willesden

Area 7: Ealing, Acton

Area 8: Uxbridge, Rusilip-Northwood, Hayes and Harlington, Yiewsley and West Drayton

Area 9: Brentford and Chiswick, Southall, Heston and Isleworth

Area 10: Twickenham, Staines, Feltham, Sunbury on Thames

On 1 April 1965 on the abolition of the Middlesex County Council the functions of the Welfare Department were transferred to the newly established London Boroughs.

MCC , Middlesex County Council x Middlesex County Council

Local taxation licences were necessary for keeping a dog, employing a game-keeper, carrying a gun, killing or dealing in game and were obtainable at any Post Office or directly from the County Council. The Council was also responsible for the issue of minor excise licences required by hawkers, pawnbrokers, resreshment house keepers and money lenders. In all these cases it was the Council's duty to ensure that the necessary licences were taken out and renewed. All these functions were carried out by the Local Taxation Department in which was employed a staff of inspectors and enquiry officers who worked from offices in Brentford, Tottenham and Willesden. When necessary the Council prosecuted offenders. It was also empowered to impose monetary penalties, the payment of which avoided the necessity for court proceedings.

The Local Taxation Department was also responsible for the registration and licensing of all motor vehicles kept in the County and for issuing driving licences to County residents. For registration and licensing purposes, the person keeping and using a motor vehicle was regarded as its owner, and once a vehicle had been registered, all changes of ownership, as well as changes in the use of the vehicle, had to be reported. Factors which were considered before a vehicle was licensed included ownership, construction and use, and in the case of goods vehicles the weight.

MCC , Middlesex County Council x Middlesex County Council

The Public Assistance Department was set up under the 1929 Local Government Act which followed the recommendations of the Macclean Report. Under section 1 of the Act the functions of the existing Poor Law Guardians were transferred to the County Council from 1 April 1930. Section 4 of the Act required that a scheme for the administration of such functions be submitted to the Ministry of Health for approval. The Middlesex (Public Assistance) Scheme 1929 was approved and the first meeting of the Public Health, Housing and Public Assistance Committee sat on 16 January 1930.

The 1929 Act did not abolish the Poor Law system, but transferred its administrative functions. Poor Law had its origins in the 1601 Poor Relief Act which put the responsibility for providing relief onto the parish. The 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act established Boards of Guardians and grouped parishes together into Poor Law Unions for which the Guardians took responsibility. The single most important function of the Poor Law Guardians was to administer, regulate, and dispense relief to the poor and destitute. Other functions included child care (the 1872 Infant Life Protection Act and 1908 Children Act] and the administration of hospitals, care of the homeless and single mothers.

Under section 1 of the 1929 Act the Middlesex County Council took responsibility for the following: consideration and examination of applicants for relief, determination of the nature and amount of any relief granted, determination of any reimbursement to the council; making arrangements for the casual poor and administration of casual wards; and managing institutions and staff, visitation and inspection and making arrangements with other counties for joint use of institutions. The office of Director of Public Assistance was created. The Director was responsible to the Public Assistance Committee and Clerk of the County Council and had the following tasks: control of the staff dealing with Poor Law administration; keeping records and indexes; supply of goods, materials and provisions to the poor law institutions; arranging settlement, emigration, casuals, schemes for dealing with the able bodied unemployed; adoption, boarding out and apprenticeship of children and reporting to the Public Assistance Committee and Supervising Guardians meetings.

Before the 1929 Local Government Act the following Poor Law Unions existed in Middlesex: Brentford; Edmonton; (which had the out county parishes of Cheshunt and Waltham); Hendon; Staines; and Willesden. The parishes of Hampton, Hampton Wick and Teddington were in Kingston Union and the parishes of Finchley, Friern Barnet and South Mimms were in Barnet Union. The Middlesex (Public Assistance) Scheme 1929 divided the County into the following 6 areas for the purposes of administration: North Middlesex; North east Middlesex; Central Middlesex; Willesden; West Middlesex and South Middlesex.

Each area had a Guardians Committee of 18 members to administer the relief functions transferred to the County Council, namely to interview all applicants for relief and distribute it. The Committees also inspected and reported on institutions in their areas. In 1931 the Committees were delegated the function of making determinations of relief for the unemployed under the Unemployment Insurance (Transitional / Payments) Regulations 1931.

Middlesex County Council Act 1934:

In 1934 the Public Assistance Department was overhauled. Problems had arisen with the Guardians Committees because large scale migration into Middlesex had increased the number of relief applications. In addition the committees varied in their generosity towards applicants. In October 1932 the Ministry of Health criticised the out relief system in one Middlesex area and this resulted in County Scales and Regulations being introduced. When a Guardians Committee wished to deviate from these rules they had to submit their case to the Public Assistance Committee. As large numbers of submissions were made by certain committees the County Council decided it would be more effective for them to run the service directly.

The Middlesex County Council Act 1934 gave the County Council direct and complete control over the administration of relief by means of abolishing the Guardians Committees. The work of the Guardians Committees was assumed by a Relief Sub-Committee made up entirely of Council Members. The County was re-divided into 8 new areas, grouped in 4 sections: Area 1: North Middlesex and North East Middlesex; Area 2: East Middlesex; Area 3: North East Middlesex and Central Middlesex and Area 4: South Middlesex, West Middlesex and South West Middlesex.

Each area had an Area Officer and a Deputy Area Officer. The Area Officers were in charge of the staff in their regions and advised the County Council Committees on granting relief. The area offices were allocated to Edmonton (area 1), Tottenham (area 2), Kilburn (area 3) and Brentford (area 4). An Adjudicating Officer was appointed to each area to interview applicants for relief and investigate liable relations. Hospital Almoners sent financial details about patients to the Area Officers. Appeals by relief applicants could be made and were heard by the Sub Committees.

National Health Service Act 1946 and National Assistance Act 1946:

The National Health Service Act transferred the County Council's responsibility for the provision of a countrywide hospital service to the new regional hospital boards. The Act came into force in July 1948. In the same month the National Assistance Act was enforced and transferred the responsibility of the County Councils for relieving financial distress to the National Assistance Board. Thus the functions of the Public Assistance Department were radically overhauled and a new Welfare Department was set up as its successor. The first meeting of the Welfare Committee took place on 5 July 1948.

Under the National Assistance Act the Welfare Department had the following functions: provision of residential accommodation for the aged and infirm; provision of temporary accommodation for the homeless; promotion of the welfare of people with disabilities such as blindness; administration of the registration of all homes for the elderly and disabled and responsibility to insure the homes were suitably maintained; registration of charities for the disabled and provision of temporary protection of moveable property of certain persons.

The following areas were used to administer these responsibilities within Middlesex: Area 1: Enfield, Edmonton; Area 2: Southgate, Wood Green, Potters Bar, Friern Barnet; Area 3: Tottenham, Hornsey; Area 4: Hendon, Finchley; Area 5: Harrow; Area 6: Wembley, Willesden; Area 7: Ealing, Acton; Area 8: Uxbridge, Rusilip-Northwood, Hayes and Harlington, Yiewsley and West Drayton; Area 9: Brentford and Chiswick, Southall, Heston and Isleworth and Area 10: Twickenham, Staines, Feltham, Sunbury on Thames.

On 1 April 1965 on the abolition of the Middlesex County Council the functions of the Welfare Department were transferred to the newly established London Boroughs.

Middlesex Advisory Committee

The office of Justice of the Peace for a county is a Crown appointment made at the discretion of the Lord Chancellor, upon recommendations received from local advisory committees (such as the Middlesex Advisory Committee) which he appoints to act under the chairmanship of the Kkeeper of the Rolls. In the case of Middlesex this was the Lord Lieutenant. The names of persons whose appointment was approved by the Lord Chancellor were entered upon the commission of the peace, a parchment roll. When the names were entered the newly appointed justice took the oaths at quarter session and was then qualified to take up his or her duties. The first women justices for Middlesex were appointed in 1920.

The first Probation Officers were appointed in 1907 under the Probation of Offenders Act 1907. In the 1920s it became a requirement for courts to appoint a Probation Officer. Female Probation Officers were first introduced in the 1950s. In 1972 Community Service was brought in as an alternative sentencing option to prison. Hostels (now called Approved Premises) were introduced to increase public protection and supervision of dangerous offenders in the 1980s. In 2001 Multi-agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA) were introduced, so that probation, police, prisons and other agencies can work together to manage dangerous offenders in the community. In 2004 the National Offender Management Service (NOMS) was formed by merging HM Prison Service and the National Probation Service.

London Probation has been protecting the public and rehabilitating offenders in London since 2001. Before then, five separate organisations provided probation services in London on a regional basis;

South West London Probation Service

South East London Probation Service

North East London Probation Service

Inner London Probation Service

Middlesex Probation Service

The merger in 2001 brought together all five organisations so that London Probation now provides probation services to the whole of London.

Source: http://www.london-probation.org.uk/about_us/history.aspx (Accessed June 2009).

Congregational Church of England and Wales

West Hampstead Congregational church was situated at 527A Finchley Road. It originated in services held in the library of Hackney College in 1894. A building of red brick with terracotta and moulded brick dressings to match the adjacent college, on a central plan and seating 1,125, was designed by Spalding & Cross in 1894. The church also included a school hall and library. Attendance in 1903 was 162 in the morning and 210 in the evening. The church was closed in 1940 and sold to Shomrei Hadath syngagogue in 1946.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 153-158.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

Tolmer's Square Congregational Church, Camden, was founded in 1834. It opened a mission church on Drummond Street in 1879. In 1903 the combined membership of the two churches was 206, with 321 Sunday School scholars. The church closed in 1919.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

The Holywell Mount Congregational Chapel was situated on the junction of Chapel Street and Curtain Road, Shoreditch, Hackney. It is now closed.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

The Southgate Road Chapel was built adjoining a school at the north corner of Balmes Road. It was registered Congregational in 1860-1869. Attendance in 1886 was 204 in the morning and 237 in the evening. By 1903 attendance was 57 in the morning and 205 in the evening. The church closed between 1935 and 1938. It is likely that the Southgate Road Chapel was founded when the congregation of the Pavement Chapel, Hoxton, found it was too small for their needs and decided to construct a larger church.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

The Stepney Meeting House was founded in 1644. The congregation met at various locations including private houses. They were initially met with hostility, for example, in 1682 troops destroyed the fittings of the Meeting House. However, after the Toleration Act of 1689 the dissenters were able to establish a permament church. This was at New Road and later on Stepney Way.

When the Congregational Church and the Presbyterian Church decided to amalgamate to form the new United Reformed Church in 1972, the John Knox Presbyterian Church merged with Stepney Meeting House. For a short while both buildings continued to be used for worship, but in 1976 the Stepney Meeting House building on the corner with Copley Street was sold to the John Cass Foundation for use as a school chapel. The Stepney Meeting House United Reformed Church now meets in a modern building on Stepney Way.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

Fetter Lane Congregational Church was founded in 1660 on Fetter Lane, near High Holborn and Chancery Lane in the City of London. In 1894 falling membership forced a move to Leyton, where the church merged with an existing congregation worshipping in a temporary iron church. A new permanent church was constructed in 1899 on Langthorne Road, in a 17th century style which recalled the original Fetter Lane Chapel. The name Fetter Lane Congregational Church was adopted for the Leyton church. It is now a United Reformed Church.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

The Canning Town Congregational Church, Barking Road, originated in 1855, in services conducted at Plaistow Marsh by Thomas Perfect, who had been converted at Brickfields by Robert Ferguson. Although lacking formal training, he served successfully as pastor until he retired in 1884. In 1860 a small chapel was built in Swanscombe Street. This was superseded in 1868 when a new building was erected in Barking Road, Plaistow, but remained in use as a mission hall. Another mission hall was maintained at North Woolwich from about 1879 to 1907. Under F. W. Newland the Mansfield House university settlement became closely associated with the church, its boys' club being centred at the Swanscombe Street hall, which was rebuilt in 1891. The Canning Town church reached its peak membership of 261 in 1902. F. W. Piper devised a scheme to unite under his superintendency most of the Congregational churches in the area, as the South West Ham mission. Canning Town, Victoria Docks, and their missions came together in 1906, and were joined in 1909 by Greengate. The object of the mission was to ensure pastoral care for churches too poor to support separate ministers, but the traditions of independence were too strong: Greengate left the union in 1914 and Victoria Docks in 1917. Canning Town continued to call itself the South West Ham mission until 1923. All its buildings were badly damaged in the Second World War. Swanscombe Street, wrecked in 1940, was later demolished. The Barking Road church, twice bombed, was derelict from 1941. Its dwindling congregation continued to meet elsewhere in various borrowed premises, under the leadership of Mrs. M. Angel, widow of a former minister. Through her efforts a smaller church, opened in 1949, was erected on the foundations of the old one. She died in 1959 and the church closed almost immediately.

From: 'West Ham: Roman Catholicism, Nonconformity and Judaism', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 123-141.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

The Wycliffe Congregational Church, Stepney, was founded in 1642 on Philpot Street.

Christ Church Congregational Church, Cranbrook Road, started in an iron building in 1895, mainly through the work of Robert Pettigrew. It was formally constituted in 1896. In 1906 it was joined by the members of Wycliffe Congregational Church, Stepney. Christ Church had changed its name to Wycliffe in 1904, in anticipation of this union. The Stepney church was sold, and in 1907 the united congregation built a new Wycliffe on the Ilford site.

From: 'The borough of Ilford', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (1966), pp. 249-266.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

Christ Church Congregational Church, Cranbrook Road, started in an iron building in 1895, mainly through the work of Robert Pettigrew. It was formally constituted in 1896. In 1906 it was joined by the members of Wycliffe Congregational Church, Stepney. Christ Church had changed its name to Wycliffe in 1904, in anticipation of this union. The Stepney church was sold, and in 1907 the united congregation built a new Wycliffe on the Ilford site.

From: 'The borough of Ilford', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (1966), pp. 249-266.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

Sydney Street Chapel had origins in a group which met under Reverend Josiah Viney at a schoolroom in Bonner Street in 1844. They moved to Morpeth Street in 1845 and Sydney Street, Globe Town, in 1850. Worshippers were entirely 'working people' and included most of the women at the industrial home in Homerton, to which minister Benjamin Woodyard was attached. The Chapel was registered for Congregationalists in 1861 and again when rebuilt to seat 370 in 1865. The church closed in 1901.

From: 'Bethnal Green: Protestant Nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 228-240.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

Upper Clapton Congregational Church on Upper Clapton Road was founded in 1815. When the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches merged in 1972, it became Upper Clapton United Reformed Church.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

Barnsbury Congregational Chapel and school room, was built in 1835 on the corner of Barnsbury and Milner streets, under Charles Gilbert who had resigned from Islington chapel. The church seated 500 in 1838. It reopened in 1841 after alterations, now seating 550. In 1851 the chapel seated 708; attendance was 556 for morning service and 347 in the evening. Attendance in 1903 was 113 in the morning and 497 in the evening. Numbers declined from around 1900 and the chapel closed in 1909.

From: 'Islington: Protestant nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

The first Independent [Congregational] congregation in Isleworth was registered in 1798. A place of worship for Congregationalists is mentioned in 1831, and in 1849 the present chapel at the corner of Twickenham Road and Worton Road was opened. A British school was attached to it from 1840 to the eighties.

From: 'Heston and Isleworth: Protestant nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 131-133.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

The Weigh House in Cornhill was situated on the south side of Eastcheap, between Botolph Lane and Love Lane. In 1697 a Meeting House was founded above the Weigh House for members of the congregation of the Reverend S. Slater, who had been compelled in 1662 by the Act of Uniformity to resign the living of the Church of Saint Katherine by the Tower. This meeting was Presbyterian but by 1780 the church joined the Congregational Church, and became known as the King's Weigh House Chapel. In 1832 the site of the chapel site was required for road building and the congregation moved to Fish Street Hill, where they remained until 1882 when this chapel site was required for the construction of Monument Station. The congregation merged with a small church on Robert Street (now called Weigh House Street) and built new, larger premises on Duke Street, Westminster, opened in 1891. The church closed in 1965 when the congregation merged with that of Whitefield Memorial Church on Tottenham Court Road. The Duke Street building is now a Ukrainian Catholic cathedral.

Congregational Church of England and Wales

Anerley Congregational Church was founded in 1856, and was part of the London Congregational Union Metropolitan Surrey District. In 1903 it had 300 members. The Penge Congregational Church was possibly a preaching station or branch church of the Anerley Church. It was situated on Beckenham Road, between Penge and Anerley. It was part of the London Congregational Union Metropolitan Kent District.

Hugh Price Hughes a Wesleyan Minister in London founded the West London Mission in 1887 as part of the Forward Movement in Methodism which stressed that faith had to be expressed in social and political as well as personal life. The Inaugural meeting of the then West Central Mission was on 21st October 1887 with the Sermon at St. James' Hall, Piccadilly preached by C.H. Spurgeon. The West London Mission remained at St. James' Hall which was a popular Concert Hall, until 1905 when it was demolished to form the Piccadilly Hotel. The Mission moved to Exeter Hall, another concert hall, in the Strand.

In 1906 the Methodist Conference gave the Mission its own building, the Wesleyan Chapel at Great Queen Street. The building was later condemned by the LCC and the Mission were temporarily housed in the Lyceum Theatre, while on Great Queen Street at the old site a new place of worship, Kingsway Hall, was under construction. Kingsway Hall opened in 1912 and enjoyed nearly 70 years of occupation until it was sold in the eighties after the amalgamation of the Kingsway Circuit and Hinde Street; the Mission returned to the West End to Thayer Street/Hinde Street.

In the early days, much of the day to day work went on in smaller chapels and halls in the middle of slum areas where social needs were great. These buildings such as Craven Hall at Fouberts Place were used for a wide variety of activities not just devotional but social, education and welfare. However, this use of smaller halls was dropped after the First World War in favour of the new Kingsway Hall premises.

Chequer Alley (now Chequer Street) runs between Bunhill Row and Whitecross Street in Islington, near City Road. In the 1840s it was a socially deprived area, home to around 15,000 people living in poverty. In 1841 a Methodist, Miss Macarthy, from the nearby City Road Church began to visit the Alley and hand out Methodist tracts. Interest in her work increased to the point where she was able to begin Sunday preaching in a small hired room. These services eventually expanded to include a Sunday School, Day School, and classes for adults wishing to join the church.

A Methodist circuit is normally a group of churches in a local area served by a team of ministers. A minister will have pastoral charge of one or more churches, but will preach and lead worship in different local churches in the circuit, along with local preachers. The arrangements for leading worship in a circuit are drawn up in a quarterly Plan. There has been much reorganisation as chapels closed and circuits were altered; for further details and names and dates of circuits, contact the Society of Cirplanologists who collect Circuit plans.

A Methodist circuit is normally a group of churches in a local area served by a team of ministers. A minister will have pastoral charge of one or more churches, but will preach and lead worship in different local churches in the circuit, along with local preachers. The arrangements for leading worship in a circuit are drawn up in a quarterly Plan.

The Methodist Church in Britain is arranged into over 600 Circuits, which in turn are grouped into 32 Districts covering Great Britain, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. Each District is supervised by a District Synod.

The North West London Mission included the Gospel Oak, Paddington, Prince of Wales Road, Saint John's Wood, Sutherland Avenue, Harrow Road, Fernhead Road and Mill Lane Methodist Churches.

The Horace Jones Trust was established in 1933 to carry on the religious and philanthropic work of the founder, mainly in the Borough of Saint Pancras. The work included the provision of silver medals for 'good and meritorious conduct' for children in certain schools in the area.

Shortly after the foundation of Methodism by John Wesley, he concluded that he needed a permanent base from which to preach and convert. He founded a chapel to the east of the City of London, but this soon fell in to disrepair. In 1778 he built a new and more permanent chapel on the City Road, which still stands today. Wesley's Chapel has been altered in some ways but was restored after a major fund raising campaign in the 1970s, and re-opened in 1978 in the presence of Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh.

Wesley's House was built by Wesley in 1779. It was Wesley's winter home and also provided a home for the preachers of the Chapel, their families and servants. The house is now open to visitors and contains many of John Wesley's belongings and furniture, including his electrical machine, his study chair and his small Prayer Room.

Barking Road Wesleyan Methodist Church originated in 1857, when Thomas Jacob, a Wesleyan from Cambridge, started services in Sabberton Street. Services, Sunday school, and a day-school were later held in Hallsville Road. In 1862 a school-chapel, seating 250, was built on the north side of Barking Road, east of Canning Town railway station. Owing mainly to the efforts of the superintendent minister, J. S. Workman, a larger building was opened in 1868, heading a new Canning Town circuit, with a membership of 150. The society had previously belonged first to the Spitalfields, then to the Bow circuit. The old chapel continued in use as a day and Sunday school. The new one, with all its records, was destroyed by a fire of 1887 and rebuilt in the same year. Barking Road was transferred to the Seamen's Mission in 1907, when the Cory Institute was erected, costing £6,000, of which £2,000 was given by John Cory of Cardiff. Unemployment and movement of population after the closing of the Thames Ironworks weakened the church about this time, but it revived and flourished until the 1930s. It was destroyed by bombing in September 1940, and a temporary building was erected on the site in 1948. In 1957 it joined the London Mission (West Ham), with a membership of 50. The temporary building was sold and in 1960 the congregation amalgamated with Custom House Primitive Methodist Church and Shirley Street United Methodist Church in a new church at Fife Road, Canning Town. War damage compensation from Barking Road helped to build a new church at Harold Wood, Hornchurch, in 1962. In 1963 there was a petrol station on the Barking Road site.

From: 'West Ham: Roman Catholicism, Nonconformity and Judaism', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 123-141.

A Methodist circuit is normally a group of churches in a local area served by a team of ministers. A minister will have pastoral charge of one or more churches, but will preach and lead worship in different local churches in the circuit, along with local preachers. The arrangements for leading worship in a circuit are drawn up in a quarterly Plan.

The Methodist Church in Britain is arranged into over 600 Circuits, which in turn are grouped into 32 Districts covering Great Britain, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. Each District is supervised by a District Synod.

The Ilford Circuit was part of the London North-East District. It later became the Barking and Ilford Circuit.

Home Office Deptford Borough Council

On July 28 1944 at 9.41am Lewisham street market was hit by a V1 flying bomb that demolished 20 shops, damaged 30 more, killed 51 people and injured 313.

On the morning of Saturday 25 November 1944 at 12.25 pm a V2 rocket landed on Woolworth's store in New Cross Road at Deptford. At the time of impact the store was crowded with schoolchildren and housewives, and the casualties were therefore very high: 160 killed, 77 seriously and 122 slightly injured. In all, Deptford was to suffer nine V2s, far less than other localities, but five of these caused "major incidents" resulting in a death toll of 297 with a further 328 seriously injured; more than other London borough.

Source: Imperial War Museum (http://london.iwm.org.uk/upload/package/4/dday/pdfs/VWeaponsCampaign.pdf)

The West London Tabernacle, Penzance Place, Holland Park, was originally erected in the 1860's by Mr. Varley, a Baptist businessman who began to preach in the neighbouring Potteries in about 1863. It was enlarged and 'beautified' in 1871-1872 to designs by Habershon and Pite. It is built of yellow stock bricks with stone dressings, the style being a free adaptation of Italian Renaissance. The south front is flanked by two towers, now partially demolished, which contained staircases to the galleries. The centre of this elevation was pierced by a largesemi-circular-headed window with a hood moulding in the form of a pointed arch. The building is now in commercial use.

From: 'The Norland estate', Survey of London: volume 37: Northern Kensington (1973), pp. 276-297.

Parish of St John, Deptford , Church of England

The church of Saint John was established in 1855, part of the development of Saint John's as a residential district by the wealthy Lucas family. A parish was assigned in the same year.

Registers are created and maintained by borough councils.

The first registers of voters were lists of those owing land tax, since the right to vote depended on the amount of property a man owned.

It was not until the 1832 Reform Act that the creation of electoral registers became a requirement. At first these were the responsibility of the Quarter Sessions, although from 1888 they were compiled by County Councils and from 1974 by District Councils. The registers mainly list those eligible to vote for parliamentary elections although they often double as lists for local government elections.

Poplar Poor Law Union x Poplar Board of Guardians

Poor relief was based on the Act for the Relief of the Poor of 1601 which obliged parishes to take care of the aged and needy in their area. Parish overseers were empowered to collect a local income tax known as the poor-rate which would be put towards the relief of the poor. This evolved into the rating system, where the amount of poor-rate charged was based on the value of a person's property. Early workhouses were constructed and managed by the parish. However, this process was expensive and various schemes were devised where groups of parishes could act together and pool their resources. As early as 1647 towns were setting up 'Corporations' of parishes. An Act of 1782, promoted by Thomas Gilbert, allowed adjacent parishes to combine into Unions and provide workhouses. These were known as 'Gilbert's Unions' and were managed by a board of Guardians.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, the Poor Law Commission was given the power to unite parishes in England and Wales into Poor Law Unions. Each Union was to be administered by a local Board of Guardians. Relief was to be provided through the provision of a workhouse. An amendment to the 1834 Act allowed already existing 'Gilbert's Unions' or Corporations of parishes to remain in existence, although they were encouraged to convert themselves into Poor Law Unions. Although there was some reorganisation of union boundaries, particularly in London, the majority of Unions created under the 1834 Act remained in operation until 1930. In March 1930 a new Local Government Bill abolished the Poor Law Unions and the Board of Guardians. Responsibility for their institutions passed to Public Assistance Committees managed by the county councils - in the metropolis either the London County Council or the Middlesex County Council.

Poplar Poor Law Union was constituted in 1836, consisting of the parishes of Bromley, Bow and Poplar. Poplar High Street Workhouse had been built in 1735. The Union took over management of this institution and began expansion and improvement works, with a complete rebuilding taking place in the 1850s. From 1871 onwards the workhouse accepted only able-bodied men, who were put to hard labour. Men from other Unions were accepted if spare space was available, while the aged and infirm from Poplar were sent to the Stepney Union workhouse and those in need of hospital care sent to the joint Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum. The workhouse was forced to open for all classes on inmate in 1882 due to increased demand. In 1913 the workhouse was renamed Poplar Institution.

The Poplar Union purchased the Forest Gate School from the Forest Gate School District when the latter body was dissolved in 1897. The Union used the school both for training and as an overflow workhouse. The Union also managed a farm in Dunton, Essex, which housed unemployed men and their families. The men were employed in farm labour, thought to be more productive than the usual workhouse activities of oakum picking or stone breaking. In 1906 the Union constructed a cottage homes training school in Hutton, Essex. Cottage schools were small, family-home style houses laid out like a village, which were considered better for children than a large institution.

Source of information: Peter Higginbotham at The Workhouse website.

Shoreditch Poor Law Union x Shoreditch Board of Guardians

Poor relief was based on the Act for the Relief of the Poor of 1601 which obliged parishes to take care of the aged and needy in their area. Parish overseers were empowered to collect a local income tax known as the poor-rate which would be put towards the relief of the poor. This evolved into the rating system, where the amount of poor-rate charged was based on the value of a person's property. Early workhouses were constructed and managed by the parish. However, this process was expensive and various schemes were devised where groups of parishes could act together and pool their resources. As early as 1647 towns were setting up 'Corporations' of parishes. An Act of 1782, promoted by Thomas Gilbert, allowed adjacent parishes to combine into Unions and provide workhouses. These were known as 'Gilbert's Unions' and were managed by a board of Guardians.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, the Poor Law Commission was given the power to unite parishes in England and Wales into Poor Law Unions. Each Union was to be administered by a local Board of Guardians. Relief was to be provided through the provision of a workhouse. An amendment to the 1834 Act allowed already existing 'Gilbert's Unions' or Corporations of parishes to remain in existence, although they were encouraged to convert themselves into Poor Law Unions. Although there was some reorganisation of union boundaries, particularly in London, the majority of Unions created under the 1834 Act remained in operation until 1930. In March 1930 a new Local Government Bill abolished the Poor Law Unions and the Board of Guardians. Responsibility for their institutions passed to Public Assistance Committees managed by the county councils - in the metropolis either the London County Council or the Middlesex County Council.

In 1774, the Shoreditch Parish Vestry were authorized by an Act of Parliament to construct a new workhouse for the parish of St Leonard's, situated on Kingsland Road and administered by the Parish Poor Trustees. When the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act was introduced the parish did not fall under its jurisdiction because of the pre-existing Parish Poor Trustees. However, in 1847 inspectors found that the workhouse was badly overcrowded and unsanitary. The Trustees began alterations and modernization works, and built a separate infirmary wing. Nevertheless, in 1859 the Poor Law Board (later the Local Government Board) set up a separate Board of Guardians of the Poor to oversee the infirmary. In 1861 the Guardians commissioned a new workhouse on the same site.

The Trustees were also responsible for the construction of Brentwood Industrial School, Essex, which was later shared with Hackney Union under the Brentwood School District. In 1855 the provision for children was expanded with the addition of Hornchurch Cottage Homes, Essex, a development of family-home style houses, arranged like a village and intended to be more friendly than a large institution.

Source of information: Peter Higginbotham at The Workhouse website.

Poor relief was based on the Act for the Relief of the Poor of 1601 which obliged parishes to take care of the aged and needy in their area. Parish overseers were empowered to collect a local income tax known as the poor-rate which would be put towards the relief of the poor. This evolved into the rating system, where the amount of poor-rate charged was based on the value of a person's property. Early workhouses were constructed and managed by the parish. However, this process was expensive and various schemes were devised where groups of parishes could act together and pool their resources. As early as 1647 towns were setting up 'Corporations' of parishes. An Act of 1782, promoted by Thomas Gilbert, allowed adjacent parishes to combine into Unions and provide workhouses. These were known as 'Gilbert's Unions' and were managed by a board of Guardians.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, the Poor Law Commission was given the power to unite parishes in England and Wales into Poor Law Unions. Each Union was to be administered by a local Board of Guardians. Relief was to be provided through the provision of a workhouse. An amendment to the 1834 Act allowed already existing 'Gilbert's Unions' or Corporations of parishes to remain in existence, although they were encouraged to convert themselves into Poor Law Unions. Although there was some reorganisation of union boundaries, particularly in London, the majority of Unions created under the 1834 Act remained in operation until 1930. In March 1930 a new Local Government Bill abolished the Poor Law Unions and the Board of Guardians. Responsibility for their institutions passed to Public Assistance Committees managed by the county councils - in the metropolis either the London County Council or the Middlesex County Council.

Saint Saviour's Poor Law Union was formed in February, 1836. Its constituent parishes were Saint Saviour's and Christchurch, both in Southwark. Saint George the Martyr parish and Saint Mary Newington parish became part of the Saint Saviour's Union in 1869. The Saint Saviour's Union was renamed Southwark Union in 1901.

Saint Saviour's Workhouse was situated on Marlborough Street, while Saint George the Martyr had a workhouse on Mint Street. Saint Mary Newington had a workhouse on Westmoreland Road. The Union also constructed an Infirmary on Champion Hill, Dulwich. It is now Dulwich Hospital.

Source of information: Peter Higginbotham at The Workhouse website.

Saint Katherine's Commission of Sewers

Early Commissioners of Sewers were solely concerned with land drainage and the prevention of flooding, not with the removal of sewage in the modern sense. In 1531 an Act of Sewers was passed which set out in great detail the duties and powers of Commissioners and governed their work until the 19th century. Gradually a permanent pattern emerged in the London area of seven commissions, five north and two south of the Thames, with, after the Great Fire, a separate commission for the City of London. The London commissioners had more extensive powers than those in other parts of the country; they had control over all watercourses and ditches within two miles of the City of London as well as newly constructed drains and sewers. After 1800 the London commissioners also obtained powers to control the formation of new sewers and house drains.

'The precinct of St. Katherines nigh the Tower of London' as it is described in the earliest Commission which has been found (1646), is the smallest area to have a separate Commission of Sewers in the neighbourhood of London.

Tower Hamlets Commission of Sewers

Early Commissioners of Sewers were solely concerned with land drainage and the prevention of flooding, not with the removal of sewage in the modern sense. In 1531 an Act of Sewers was passed which set out in great detail the duties and powers of Commissioners and governed their work until the 19th century. Gradually a permanent pattern emerged in the London area of seven commissions, five north and two south of the Thames, with, after the Great Fire, a separate commission for the City of London. The London commissioners had more extensive powers than those in other parts of the country; they had control over all watercourses and ditches within two miles of the City of London as well as newly constructed drains and sewers. After 1800 the London commissioners also obtained powers to control the formation of new sewers and house drains.

Although as early as May 1598 a commission of sewers was issued "for her Mats. Mills called Chrashe Milles in the parishes of St. Botulphes without Algate London and St Marge Matfellon alias Whitechapple in the Countie of Middx" (The National Archives: Ind. 4208 Crown Office Docquet Book) no continuing commission for the Tower Hamlets area (as distinct from the Poplar area) seems to have been established until 1686 (The National Archives: Ind. 4215 Crown Office Docquet Book). The jurisdiction of the Commission covered parts of East London including Spitalfields, Mile End, Shadwell, Smithfield, Whitechapel, Wapping, Limehouse, Stepney, Poplar, Blackwall, Tower Hill, Bethnal Green, Bow, Bromley, Stratford, Hackney, Ratcliff and Clapton.

Test 1

The Junior Science Project or Section (also known as Primary Science) of the Nuffield Foundation Science Teaching Project completed its investigation into the teaching of science in the primary school age group in December 1966. Trials of the materials produced from a team of eight workers seconded from schools and colleges had begun in 1965 in schools drawn from twelve pilot areas set up by the Schools Council. In all areas, local authorities agreed to set up teachers' centres and the Schools Council ran introductory courses for teachers, area leaders and administrators. Links were established with the Nuffield Mathematics Teaching Project. The continuation project, sponsored jointly by the Nuffield Foundation and Schools Council, was established to run from 1967 to 1970. The course was designed for children in the 5 to 13 age group. The organiser was E R Wastnedge.

The Physics Project of the Nuffield Foundation Science Teaching Project was initially designed for pupils between the ages of 11 and 16, and ended with examination at O-level. Work on the project was controlled by the joint organisers, Dr P J Black and J M Ogborn. The first trials of the course began in September 1968 in 24 schools, a total of 500 students. The first trial A-level was set in June 1970. Physics A-level trial schools included Mill Mount Grammar School, York; Monks Park School, Bristol; Ormskirk Grammar School; City of Portsmouth Highbury Technical College; Repton School in Derby; La Retraite School, Bristol; Royal Belfast Academical Institution; Rugby School; St Malachy's College, Belfast; Sale Grammar School; Surbiton County Grammar School; Teesdale School; William Ellis School, London; and Worcester Royal Grammar School.

The Nuffield Foundation Science Teaching Project operated via sections based at the Project's headquarters at Chelsea College, London, developing content and methods of presentation for teaching science subjects at various levels. The Publications Department produced materials for these projects in physical science, physics, chemistry and biology at different levels. Many were published jointly by Longman and Penguin, with Penguin handling most of the production and design and Longman handling distribution, sales and some editing.

Enk , Petrus Johannes , 1885-1960 , Professor of Latin

Born 1885; Professor Ordinarius of Latin language and literature, University of Groningen, Netherlands; Vice President of the British Classical Association; died 1960.Publications: Ad propertii carmina commentarius criticus (Zutphen, 1911); Gratti Cynegeticon quae supersunt of Faliscus Gratius (Zutphen, 1918); Handboek der latijnsche letterkunde (Zutphen, 1928-37); Plauti Mercato (A W Sijthoff, 1932); Propertii Elegiarum of Sextus Propertius (1946); Plauti Truculentus of Titus Maccius Plautus (1953); Catalogus librorum quos M. Tullius Cicero : scripsit eorumque qui de ipso eisque agunt qui libri omnes veneunt in aedibus E. J. Brill bibliopolae leidensis (Brill, Leiden, 1958).

Hunter , John , 1728-1793 , surgeon

Born 1728; worked as cabinet maker for brother-in-law in Glasgow; assisted brother William at his London dissecting room, 1748; attended Chelsea Hospital, 1749-1750; studied at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, 1751; appointed a master of anatomy at the Surgeons' Corporation, 1753; surgeon's pupil at St George's Hospital, London, from 1754; matriculated, St Mary Hall, Oxford, 1755; staff surgeon on expedition to Belleisle, 1761; served with British Army in Portugal, 1762; practised as surgeon in Golden Square, London, 1763; Surgeon, St George's Hospital, 1768; takes in house pupils including Edward Jenner, 1768; begins to lecture on the principles and practice of surgery, 1773; work on the human placenta including paper read before the Royal Society, London, 1780; builds new museum to house his extensive collection of anatomical specimens, 1785; died, 1793; posthumous publication of major work, A treatise on the blood, inflammation, and gunshot wounds (London, 1794). Publications: include A treatise on the natural history of the human teeth (London, 1771, 1778); A treatise on the venereal disease (London, 1786); A treatise on the blood, inflammation, and gunshot wounds (London, 1794); Directions for preserving animals and parts of animals for anatomical investigation (London, 1809); James Palmer ed., The works of John Hunter, 4 vols (London, 1835-1837); Observations and reflections on geology (London, 1859); Sir R Owen ed., Essays and observations on natural history, anatomy, physiology, psychology and geology, 2 vols (London, 1861).

Addictions Research Unit , Institute of Psychiatry

The Addictions Research Unit was set up in 1967 with funding from the Ministry of Health, housing together the Alcoholism team (founded in 1963) and the newly formed Drug research team. The Tobacco research team (originally named Smoking Studies) was added in Jul 1969. In later years further research teams were formed including the Self-help Groups research team, the Natural History team (studying the natural history of narcotic dependence and alcoholism) and the Epidemiological studies of Barbiturate and Poly-drug use. The Addictions Research Unit is part of the Department of Psychiatry within the Division of Psychological Medicine and Psychiatry. It works hand in hand with the Addictions Division (part of the Specialist Services Directorate) of South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM) to improve understanding of addiction to drugs, alcohol and tobacco, and to develop effective preventative and treatment interventions. Together, they are known as The National Addiction Centre (NAC). Over the last 30 years, the NAC has developed a body of research evidence that has informed the development of new treatment services for alcohol, smoking and drug problems in the UK. This work ranges from trials of new therapies and preventative treatments to studies seeking to understand the genetic and biological basis of addictive behaviour.

The National Treatment Outcome Research Study (NTORS) project was conducted 1995-2000 to gather information in England and Wales about the treatment outcomes of more than a thousand problem drug users who were recruited into 54 residential or community treatment programmes. It was conducted by the The National Addiction Centre at the Institute of Psychiatry and funded by the Department of Health.

The Substance Misuse Advisory Service (SMAS) was set up, following the review of the Health Advisory Service in 1996, to replace the Drug Advisory
Service. SMAS became operational on 1 Oct 1997 and was a three year, centrally-funded project by the consortium which assumed responsibility for the Health Advisory Service (the Royal College of Psychiatry, the British Geriatric Society and the Office of Public Management). The aim of SMAS was to assist health and local authorities in England in developing their commissioning practice and improving the quality of drug and alcohol treatment services available. It eventually became part of the National Treatment Agency.