Mostrar 15888 resultados

Registo de autoridade
Delegacy of University of London, King's College

The Council was the principal governing body of King's College London between its foundation in 1829 and the reorganisation of King's that took place with the King's College London (Transfer) Act of 1908. This incorporated King's into the University of London (thereafter redesignated as University of London, King's College), and legally separated the Theological Faculty, which retained subscription to the 39 Articles for academic staff and which continued to be known as King's College London. The secular University of London, King's College, was governed by a new Delegacy, while the Theological Faculty continued to be governed by the Council. Following the reunification of the Colleges by Royal Charter in 1980, responsibility for the government of the whole College was returned to the Council.

Finance Committee/ Council Committee of Finance

The Finance Committee was one of the principal sub- committees of the College's governing Council, overseeing accounting, capital and departmental expenditure. Its main functions were transferred to the Delegacy Finance Committee in 1910, following the King's College London (Transfer) Act of 1908 that legally divided King's into secular and theological institutions. Following the reunification of the two halves of King's in 1980, responsibility for the government of the whole College was returned to the Council, with separate Delegacy and Council sub-committees being similarly recombined.

University of London, King's College

The Council was the principal governing body of King's College London between its foundation in 1829 and the reorganisation of King's that took place with the King's College London (Transfer) Act of 1908. This incorporated King's into the University of London (thereafter designated as University of London, King's College), and legally separated the Theological Faculty, which retained subscription to the 39 Articles for academic staff and which continued to be known as King's College London. The secular University of London, King's College, was governed by a new Delegacy, while the Theological Faculty and King's College London continued to be governed by the Council. The Finance Committee was one of the main sub-committees of the pre- and post-1910 Council and Delegacy and its work covered every aspect of the financial life of King's. In 1980, the Delegacy Finance Committee merged with the Council Finance Committee when the Colleges were reunified under a new Royal Charter and under the overall responsibility of a unified Council.

King's College London , College Secretary's Department

For the majority of the twentieth century, and up until the 1985 merger between King's, Chelsea and Queen Elizabeth Colleges, responsibility for the creation and maintaining of staff records was divided according to the status and seniority of the person concerned between the Principal, the College Secretary, the Senior Assistant Secretary and the Bursar. In 1985 the personnel functions of all three colleges were integrated in a single department which took responsibility for staff of the other colleges and reported to the College Secretary. In the late 1990s reporting lines of the department have been varied but the personnel function has remained integrated. Dispersed series of staff files for King's College were integrated on their receipt into three main, chronologically arranged series reflecting academic and academically related, clerical and clerically related, and manual and technical staff.

King's College London Registry

Tutorial studentships were offered by various faculties and could be renewed annually up to a maximum of four years tenure. Candidates were graduates who were expected to read for a higher degree and were given a grant and free tuition within the College in return for tutorial/demonstration assistance.

King' s College London , College Secretary's Department

Between 1831 and 1988 the College Secretary rose from Secretary to the Principal and Council to senior administrative officer of the College. Throughout the period the College Secretary had responsibility for servicing the Council, its main standing and special subcommittees, and the Academic Board. In the 1960s, the post of Academic Registrar was reorganised to reflect the coordinated responsibility for student admission and examinations with the Department. Between 1828-1919 King's College enjoyed the services of just four College Secretaries, two of whom served for remarkably long periods, H W Smith, 1829-1848 and J W Cunningham, 1848-1894. Until Cunningham's retirement in 1894 the College's in and out correspondence and bills and accounts were arranged in just two sequences. At year end the in-letters and bills were bundled alphabetically and chronologically respectively and until late into the nineteenth century fitted into a single wooden deed box. With the appointment of S T Shovelton in 1895 came the introduction of modern filing (see KAS/GC, AC and AD) but bundles continued to be used on occasion until 1915. The series is remarkably complete until the late 1890s when there is some evidence of modest losses.

The General Board was a committee of representatives of the teaching staff that was officially recognised by the Council in 1870. The General Board was chaired by the Principal and comprised the most senior representatives of each department or faculty board, who were styled Deans. The purpose of the General Board was to guide educational policy and provision in areas such as syllabuses and examinations, and was answerable to the College Council. In 1910, the General Board was renamed the Professorial Board of the University of London, King's College. This followed the King's College London (Transfer) Act of 1908 that had incorporated King's in the University of London, separated and made independent of the College, the Hospital and School, and legally divided the remaining departments into two institutions: a secular University of London, King's College, and the Theological Faculty, heir to the title of King's College London. During this period of division until 1980, both institutions retained separate Professorial Boards. The reunification of the two halves of King's in 1980 witnessed the restructuring of these Professorial Boards as a single Academic Board, constituting the main academic committee of the College.

King's College London , Library

The Library at King's College was established in 1831 and at first comprised a General Library of mainly common reference works on science, law, literature and theology, which was located next to the College Chapel. A separate Medical Library was also established which was only accessible to medical students. During the course of time, semi-autonomous subject or departmental libraries grew up located close to their relevant departments, particularly in the arts and humanities, containing less general and more specific subject titles. These, however, remained under the overall responsibility of the College Librarian. The General Library was augmented from time to time by major bequests and gifts, such as that made by William Marsden in 1835; some of Marsden’s books were later transferred to the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) and the School of Slavonic and Eastern European Studies (SSEES) as part of a University of London-wide library re-organisation (King’s received books from the former library of the London Institution in exchange). An important bequest was made by Sir Charles Wheatstone in 1875, and these additions at first remained discrete named collections occupying their own space within the College Library. Total holdings in the General Library were approximately 50,000 by 1958, with 90,000 in the subject or departmental libraries. By 1970, this had grown to 275,000 books in total. Shortage of space was temporarily alleviated with the relocation of a number of libraries to the new Strand Building when it was opened during the 1970s, a period during which individual departmental collections were integrated (exceptions included the Music Library). The merger of King's with Chelsea and Queen Elizabeth Colleges in 1985, added further library space, particularly at Manresa Road in Chelsea, at which was also located the College's Rare Books and Special Collections until the closure of the Chelsea campus, when it was moved to the College's Hampstead site. The merger of King's with the United Medical and Dental Schools (UMDS) in 1998 further added to the Library's holdings of medical books, while its traditional strength in theological literature was enhanced considerably by the acquisition in 1996 of the 65,000 book and journal Sion College Library. The purchase of the leasehold on the former Public Record Office building in Chancery Lane from 2001 allowed for the bringing together under one roof of the Old Library, Embankment, Humanities, Music and Special Collections libraries. These are focused on the humanities, including music, law and the physical sciences and engineering. South of the River, the Franklin-Wilkins Library caters for medical, nursing and midwifery students and students of the biological sciences, management and education. The libraries at Denmark Hill concentrate on medicine, social policy, mental health and health care policy, and those at Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals on the teaching of medicine in general. The Library is now part of the division of Information Services and Systems (ISS) which also includes Computing and Information Technology and Archive Services. The latter includes the Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives, which was founded in 1964 and which built upon the College's reputation in the field of Military and War Studies.

King's College London , College Secretary's Department

Between 1831 and 1988 the College Secretary rose from Secretary to the Principal and Council to senior administrative officer of the College. Throughout the period the College Secretary had responsibility for servicing the Council, its main standing and special subcommittees, and the Academic Board. In the 1960s, the post of Academic Registrar was reorganised to reflect the coordinated responsibility for student admission and examinations with the Department. From 1828-1909 the Council was the College's governing and executive body, exercising the powers of the College as provided in the Charter or Statutes. The King's College London (Transfer) Act 1908 incorporated the college into the University of London, and the Delegacy became the governing body of King's College. The Council thereafter governed the Theological Department only, which was separately administered from the rest of the College. The Delegacy was a committee of the Senate of the University of London, which had to ratify all major decisions. By the Royal Charter of 1980, King's College London was reconstituted, merging the Theological Department with the Faculty of Theology and the Council again became the governing body for the whole College. Between 1909-1980 the Court, as the financial board of the University of London, controlled the finances of the College through the custody, control and disposition of all property, funds and investments. The Academic Board advises the Council on all academic matters. The Professorial Board became known as the Academic Board in 1980.

King's College Hospital

King's College Hospital case notes of patients were compiled under the names of doctors.

King's College London Division of Physiotherapy

Physiotherapy provision was available at King's College Hospital and later academic instruction was devolved to the Centre for Physiotherapy Research under the Department of Physiology. A Department of Physiotherapy was formed in 1989, part of the Biomedical Sciences Division of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences, and a Division of Physiotherapy created in 1998, part of the School of Biomedical Sciences, itself the product of the merger of the Biomedical Sciences Division at King's and the Basic Medical Sciences Division at UMDS (United Medical and Dental Schools).

King's College London Department of Biochemistry

Biochemistry formed part of the Department of Physiology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry and Histology in the Faculty of Medicine from 1925. This changed its name to the Department of Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology in 1937. Biochemistry became a discreet department in 1958 and was incorporated into the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences in King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry in 1983, the Faculty of Science in 1985, the Faculty of Life Sciences, 1986, and the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences in 1989. It now forms part of the Division of Life Sciences within the School of Health and Life Sciences.

The Modern Greek Department was established in 1919, when the Koraes Chair was inaugurated following a subscription campaign and a grant from the Greek Government, and named in honour of Adamantios Koraes (1748-1833), the scholar and advocate of Greek national independence. The Department became known as the Department of Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies in 1972, and since 1989 has been part of the School of Humanities.

King's College London , Department of Chemistry

Chemistry was first taught by Professor John Frederick Daniell in the Senior Department and the Medical Department of King's from the opening of the College in 1831. The first Chemical Laboratory was founded a few years later in 1834. Daniell remained at King's until 1845 and in 1846 the Daniell Scholarship was founded in his honour. The subject has always encompassed many departments. When the Senior Department was split into two separate sections; Civil Engineering and Mining in 1838 and General Literature and Science in 1840, Chemistry was taught under both. These sections became the Department of General Literature and Science and the Department of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 1847-1848. Chemistry was also taught in Evening Classes, which were begun in 1848. In 1888 the Department of Science was formed from General Literature and Science. This became the Faculty of Science in 1893. That same year the Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences was created as part of the Faculty of Science. A separate Faculty of Engineering was later formed in 1902-1903. In 1905 the Faculty of Science was split into the Natural Science and Medical Science Divisions with Chemistry taught under both divisions. These divisions became the Faculties of Medical Science and Natural Science in 1921 and 1923 respectively. From 1961 the Chemistry Department came solely under the under the Faculty of Natural Science, although the subject continued to make up components of other courses. In 1985 after the merger of King's with Queen Elizabeth and Chelsea Colleges, the department became part of the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, currently the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering.

King's College London Department of French

Instruction in French Literature and Language commenced with other teaching in the Senior Department at King's in 1831. It became part of the Department of General Literature and Science and later part of the Faculty of Arts in 1893 and School of Humanities in 1989. Courses encompass French language, history, literature, philosophy and most notably, romance philology from 1902 .The department also contributes to the interdisciplinary European Studies BA.

King's College London Department of Physiology

The Department of Physiology was formerly part of the Faculty of Medical Science. After the merger of King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry with King's College Medical School in 1983, it was split off into the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences. The Department merged with those of Chelsea College and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985 and the faculties joined to create the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences in 1991. The School was made up of separate divisions, including the Biomedical Sciences Division of which Physiology was a part. It is now the Division of Physiology, part of the GKT (Guy's King's and St Thomas') School of Biomedical Sciences which was formed in 1998 from the Biomedical Sciences and the Basic Medical Sciences divisions at UMDS (United Medical and Dental Schools).

King's College London Department of Physics

Instruction in physics began in 1831 in the form of lectures in natural and experimental philosophy delivered to students in the Senior Department, from 1839 the Department of General Literature and Science and later the Department of Applied Sciences. Natural and experimental divisions were separated in 1834 when Charles Wheatstone was appointed Professor of Experimental Philosophy, a post he occupied until his death in 1875. Classes in natural philosophy were available to Evening Class students and students of the Medical Faculty and Faculty of Engineering, but the Physics Department properly became part of the Faculty of Science in 1893. In 1923 Physics became part of the Faculty of Natural Science, which later formed part of the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences. This became the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering in 1991. Charles Wheatstone, responsible for pioneering experiments in the fields of electric telegraphy, batteries, harmonics and optics, upon his death bequeathed an extensive collection of scientific instruments and equipment to the College to form the Wheatstone Laboratory, one of the earliest physical laboratories in the country. Other notables include James Clerk Maxwell, pioneer in the study of electromagnetism, who was Professor of Natural Philosophy, 1860-1865; Charles Glover Barkla, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1909-1914, who whilst at the University of Edinburgh was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1917 for work on X-rays; Sir Owen Richardson, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1914-1922, awarded a Nobel Prize for Physics in 1928 for prior work on thermionics undertaken at the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge; Sir Edward Appleton, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1924-1936, who conducted experiments on the interaction of radio waves with the earth's atmosphere at the Strand and at the College's Halley Stewart Laboratories, Hampstead, for which he was subsequently awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1947, whilst employed by the British Government's Department of Scientific and Industrial Research; and Maurice Hugh Frederick Wilkins, Deputy Director of the Medical Research Council Biophysics Research Unit, later the Department of Biophysics, King's College London, 1955, whose work on the structure of the DNA molecule was rewarded with the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1962.

The origins of the Faculty of Arts lay in the Department of General Literature and Science. The Department came into being in 1839 in response to the need for a greater differentiation of the syllabus for students of the Senior Department at King's College London. As its name suggests, it constituted a broad faculty or grouping of subjects and classes that provided a core liberal syllabus in the arts and sciences available to all students of King's, including Medical students. Principal subjects included English Literature, Theology, Modern History, Classics, Modern Languages and Mathematics, but later instruction covered subjects as diverse as Geology, Law, Political Economy and Oriental Languages. The division between General Literature and Science Departments, that took place in 1888, foreshadowed the replacement of General Literature by the new Faculty of Arts in 1893. The Faculty of Arts was replaced by the School of Humanities in 1989.

The Department for the Training of Teachers was established under John William Adamson in 1890. In 1896 it was split into two sections: the Day Training College for those intending to teach in elementary schools, and the Department for Secondary Training. These were amalgamated in 1922 to form the Education Department, part of the Faculty of Arts. This became the Faculty of Education in 1968, which merged with the Chelsea College Centre for Science and Mathematics Education in 1985 to create the current School of Education.

King's College London Department/Faculty of Engineering

The Class of Civil Engineering and Mining was founded at King's in 1838, mainly as a response to the growth of the railway system and the need for more qualified engineers. This became the Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture and Science, as Applied to Arts and Manufactures, in 1840. Over the next few years this department enlarged in scope and in 1844 became the Department of the Applied Sciences. This became the Department of Engineering and the Applied Sciences in 1874. In 1893 the Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences was created as part of the Faculty of Science, and in 1902 a distinct Faculty of Engineering was established. Separate departments of Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electronic and Electrical Engineering were formed, with Civil and Mechanical Engineering combining in 1935. Civil Engineering was then closed in 1989, whilst Mechanical Engineering and Electronic and Electrical Engineering, now the Department of Electronic Engineering, became part of the new School of Physical Sciences and Engineering.

King's College London Faculty/School of Law

Law has been taught at King's since it opened formerly in 1831, and originally came under the Senior Department and then the Department of General Literature and Science. Under the Faculty of Arts from 1893, it was known as the Division of Laws and Economics. The Faculty of Laws was founded in association with the London School of Economics in 1909, and became known as the School of Law in 1991. It is a single department school, but is comprised of various research centres and groups, including the British Institute of Human Rights, set up in 1971, the Centre of European Law, founded in 1974, the Centre of Medical Law and Ethics, created in 1978, and the Centre of British Constitutional Law and History, established in 1988.

King's College London Faculty of Music/Department of Music

Vocal music was a subject taught in the Department of General Literature and Science between 1843 and 1915. Music was an externally examined subject within the University of London from around 1900 until the University of London King Edward Chair was converted into a full-time professorship based at King's College in a new Faculty of Music in 1964. The Faculty of Arts and Music was created in 1986, which became a part of the School of Humanities in 1989.

King's College Hospital Committee of Management was established in 1840. It was elected by and from the Annual Court of the Governors of King's College London, with the College Council appointing two members itself. The Committee of Management undertook the day-to-day administration of the Hospital and appointed lay officers including the Secretary, Steward and Matron. This arrangement of dual control between the Council and the Committee of Management sometimes led to friction, and did not become law until 1851 with the Act of Incorporation. As a consequence of King's College Hospital becoming King's College Hospital Group in 1948, the Committee of Management became the House Committee in 1950. In 1963 the House Committees of King's College Hospital and Belgrave Hospital amalgamated, and were henceforth referred to as the King's College Hospital House Committee, until 1968 when Belgrave Hospital House Committee was transferred from the care of King's and combined with the St Francis Hospital House Committee.

In 1885 the Committee of Management of King's College Hospital formed its own training school for nurses, and registers of nurses and student nurses began to be kept. King's College Hospital constructed a new building to house the School of Nursing, 1972-1974. It was named Normanby College of Nursing Midwifery and Physiotherapy (Oswald Constantine John Phipps, 4th Marquis of Normanby (1912-1994), was chairman of the KCH Board of Governors at the time). The College building was officially opened in 1975. It provided training in nursing, midwifery, physiotherapy, and radiography. In 1989, Normanby College and the Bromley and Camberwell Health Authorities established the Bromley and Camberwell Department of Nursing Studies, supported by the Department of Nursing Studies, King's College, and University of London. Normanby College amalgamated with the Nightingale and Guy's School of Nursing in 1993, to form the Nightingale Institute.

Lusty , Lillian , [1902-1990]

Born, 1902-1903, patient of Arthur Henry Cheatle, 1919, moved to New Zealand, 1936; corresponded with King's College Hospital, 1990.

Born 1870; Educated, King's College School and King's College London; House Surgeon and Ophthalmic Assistant, King's College Hospital; Resident Medical Officer, St Peter's Hospital, London; Surgeon and Dean, Royal Eye Hospital, London; Ophthalmic Surgeon, Royal Ear Hospital, London; Senior Demonstrator of Anatomy and Tutor, Sheffield Medical School; Demonstrator of Physiology and Lecturer in Animal Biology, King's College London, 1895; Lecturer, Zoology, Animal Biology and Elementary Biology, King's College London, 1900; Lecturer, Physiology, King's College London, 1904; Assistant Ophthalmic Surgeon, King's College Hospital, 1910; Dean, King's College Hospital Medical School, 1911; Fellow, 1922, Associate and Member of the Corporation of King's College London; Consulting Ophthalmic Surgeon to King's College Hospital, 1929, and Beckenham Hospital, Kent; Dean Emeritus and Emeritus Lecturer on Ophthalmology, King's College Hospital Medical School, 1929; Consulting Surgeon, Royal Eye Hospital; Honorary Consulting Ophthalmic Surgeon to Royal School for Blind, and South London Institute for the Blind; died, 13 March 1956. Publications: Manual of physiology for students and practitioners (1911); King's and some King's men: being a record of the Medical Department of King's College, London, from 1830-1909 and of King's College Hospital Medical School from 1909 to 1934 (Oxford University Press, London, 1935, Addendum to 1948, 1950); Applied physiology of the eye assisted by T Keith Lyle (Baillière, Tindall & Cox, London, 1958).

Jacobs , Richard , fl 1813-1847

Richard Jacobs appears to have paid the debts of various inmates of debtors' prisons.

Edwards , Harold Clifford , 1899-1989 , surgeon

Born 1899; educated at University College, Cardiff, and King's College Hospital London from which he was awarded his MB BS in 1923; Sambrooke Surgical Registrar, 1924; Senior Surgical Tutor, 1927; Assistant Surgeon, 1928; Surgeon, 1934; Hunterian Professor at the Royal College of Surgeons, 1934; Royal Army Medical Corps, 1941-1946; Dean of the King's Medical School, 1948; Emeritus Professor and Director of the Department of Surgery in the Medical School, 1956-1970; Consulting Surgeon to King Edward VII Hospital for Officers, 1956-1970; President of the British Society of Gastroenterology, 1961; died 1989. Publications: Diverticula and diverticulitis of the intestine. Their pathology, diagnosis, and treatment (Bristol, 1939); Surgical emergencies in children (1936); Recent advances in surgery (London, 1948).

Born, 1905; educated, Clare College, Cambridge and St Bartholomew's Hospital, London; Lawrence Scholarship and Gold Medal, St Bartholomew's Hospital, 1933 and 1934; Temple Cross Research Fellow, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 1934-1935; Honorary Consulting Physician, Department of Child Health, St Bartholomew's Hospital; Honorary Consulting Paediatrician, Queen Charlotte's Maternity Hospital, London; co-founder, The Osler Club, London; President, British Society for Medical History, 1974-1976; President, International Society for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect, 1981-1982; died, 20 September 1984.

Publications: Editor of The care of invalid and crippled children (Oxford University Press, London, 1960); editor of World-blindness or specific developmental dyslexia (Pitman Medical Publishing Company, London, 1962); editor of Cancer report 1948-1952 with M P Curwen (E & S Livingstone, Edinburgh & London, 1963); editor of Children with communication problems (Pitman Medical Publishing Company, London, 1965); editor of Selected writings of Lord Moynihan (Pitman Medical Publishing Company, London, 1967); editor of Assessment and teaching of dyslexic children with Sandhya Naidoo (London, 1970); compiler of The Tunbridge Wells study group on non-accidental injury to children: report and resolutions (Tunbridge Wells, 1973); editor of Concerning child abuse: papers presented by the Tunbridge Wells study group on non-accidental injury to children (Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, 1975); Pastoral paediatrics (1976); Widening horizons of child health: a study of the medical health needs of children in England and Wales [1976]; editor of The challenge of child abuse: proceedings of a conference sponsored by the Royal Society of Medicine, 2-4 June 1976 (1977); editor of Child abuse: prediction, prevention and follow up (1977); editor of The abused child in the family and in the community: selected papers from the second international congress on child abuse and neglect, London, 1978 with C Henry Kempe and Christine Cooper (1980); editor of Family matters: perspectives on the family and social policy (1983).

The Community Nursing Needs Assessment Project was undertaken in response to the NHS and Community Care Act 1990. The project dealt principally with the ability of health visitors and district nurses to meet the new legislative requirements when addressing the needs of their patients and to suggest modifications to nursing education based on the findings. The project was sponsored by the English National Board for Nursing and based at King's College London, conducted by the Department of Nursing Studies and led by Professor Sarah Cowley, Lecturer in Health Visiting. Other researchers on the project included Ann Bergen, lecturer, Kate Young, lecturer and Ann Kavanagh, research associate. The project consisted of three phases: phase one involved a series of eight focus groups made up of consumers (members of local support groups, carers and those with disabilities) , practitioners (district nurses and health visitors), managers (purchasers and providers) and educationalists (community practice teachers and lecturers). Phase two involved observing recently qualified district nurses and health workers with patients and clients and following up with an interview with the district nurse or health worker on needs assessment. Phase three involved discussing the findings and preliminary proposals with an expert panel made up from the various interest groups. The project ran from Mar 1994 to Jan 1996. The full project title is `An investigation into the changing educational needs of community nurses with regard to needs assessment and quality of care in the context of the NHS and Community Care Act 1990'.

The Parkside Project aimed to critically analyse the needs assessment process made by health visitors and to determine whether this process aided health promotion in families. It was a small exploratory study conducted over the period Jan 2000-Mar 2001, based at the Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwidfery at King's College London and was led by Sarah Cowley, Professor of Community Practise Development. The data for the project was collected through interviews with health visitors and clients in Parkside NHS Trust. 25 health visitors took part in a semi-structured telephone interview. 4 were selected to be observed on visits made to 3 contrasting families chosen by the health visiters. Following observation, in-depth interviews were conducted with the 4 health visiters and the 12 families. The full project title is `An exploration of the extent to which the health visitor assessment process in Parkside NHS Trust promotes the health of the families involved'.

King's College London Maxwell Society

The Maxwell Society was founded around 1935 by Sir Edward Victor Appleton, Wheatstone Professor of Physics at the University of London, 1924-1936, and was named in honour of the pioneering physicist, James Clerk Maxwell, Professor of Natural Philosophy at King's College London, between 1860 and 1865. It was established to promote knowledge of physics among students of King's. Events included lectures delivered by staff at King's or by distinguished guest speakers on a wide variety of subjects including nuclear physics, ultrasonics, radiobiology, quantum dynamics and aspects of applied science including the development of the computer and television. Members also undertook study visits to research laboratories and technical and manufacturing facilities, and organised other, more occasional, events and social activities. The Society is still very active in arranging talks and other events.

Following the amalgamation of most of the departments of King's College for Women with King's College London as a co-educational institution in 1915, the King's College London student body admitted women to the students' union and a common room was allotted to them. To some degree their social life was distinct. The female staff also had a common room. In 1972 arrangements were made to amalgamate the Women's Senior or Staff Common Room with the Joint Senior Common Room and the Men's Common Room by an interim Common Room committee.

The League for Democracy in Greece was a political pressure group founded in 1945 whose aims included the provision of relief to Greeks who suffered for their left-wing beliefs and activities, to their dependants, and to the dependants of Greeks who died fighting for democracy. These relief functions were initially exercised by a sub-committee of the League, but when it was realised that charitable status would encourage broader support of the Fund's humanitarian objectives the committee was succeeded in 1968 by the Greek Relief Fund, which assisted political prisoners and their families, and former prisoners. The charity had premises at Goodge Street, London. The Fund was wound up in 1984.

In response to a call from the leftist resistance movement EAM (Ethnikon Apeleftherotikon Metopon) for a government of national unity, Greeks in England formed a Greek United Committee in 1943 under the sponsorship of Sir Compton Mackenzie, the author and philhellene. Much of the support came from the Federation of Greek Maritime Unions (FGMU), which had its wartime base in Cardiff. Other supporters included a Smyrniot carpet merchant, E Athanassoglou. But under wartime conditions of censorship the Committee could reach only a restricted section of opinion, and in 1944 Winston Churchill prohibited favourable mention of the Greek resistance movement EAM-ELAS (Ethnikon Apeleftherotikon Metopon-Ethnikos Laikos Apeleftherotikos Stratos) by the BBC. The FGMU therefore sponsored a news agency, of which Diana Pym became secretary. The agency's first campaign concerned conditions in concentration camps in Erithrea (Ertra) and the Sudan. The news agency issued press releases and, from 1946, a Weekly Survey of Greek News. It closed at the end of 1962, but was re-opened in 1969 by Andonis Ambatielos (former FGMU secretary) and his English wife, Betty, and resumed the issue of press releases and monthly surveys until Ambatielos returned to junta Greece in 1974 and was arrested. In 1945, the election of a Labour government raised hopes of a change in British policy towards Greece, but the appointment of Ernest Bevin as Foreign Secretary ensured continuity with existing policy. A British pressure group was founded to campaign for a change in policy and for the Greek left-wing resistance. The League for Democracy in Greece (LDG) was launched at a public meeting at the Garrick Theatre in London in October 1945 under the presidency of Sir Compton Mackenzie and with D M Pritt QC, MP in the chair. Diana Pym became secretary. The League aimed to rebuild and strengthen the traditional friendship between the peoples of Greece and Britain on the basis of the establishment and development of democracy in Greece; to enlighten the British public about the situation in Greece and to promote cultural relations between the two countries; to provide relief to Greeks who suffered for their democractic beliefs and activities, their dependants, and the dependants of Greeks who died fighting for democracy; and to work for a general amnesty for Greek democrats imprisoned for political reasons, the restoration of trade unions and civil liberties, and the suppression of armed terrorism and the trial and punishment of collaborators during the occupation (the latter deleted as obsolete in the late 1960s). The relief functions, initially exercised by a sub-committee (the League for Democracy in Greece Relief Committee), were later taken over by a Greek Relief Fund. The LDG adopted a constitution in 1946. Marion Pasco (after 1952 Marion Sarafis, wife of Stefanos Sarafis, former commander of the wartime ELAS resistance movement) acted as joint secretary, 1946-1952, with Diana Pym. At its inauguration, the League had support from Labour Members of Parliament (MPs), including some who had served in Greece. Influencing parliamentary action was a major part of its work, and involved supplying information to MPs for questions in the House and briefing them to take up cases with the Foreign Office. The League's sphere of action extended to the trade union field and speakers from the League used available opportunities to address trade union branches, Trades Councils and local Labour parties, with a peak year in 1949 when League speakers addressed 255 meetings. The fall of the colonels' junta in 1974, followed by elections and the referendum on the monarchy, was thought to make the League's services unnecessary, and it renamed itself Friends of Democracy in Greece and continued on a stand-by basis, with a small list of supporters and a bi-annual bulletin.

Miller , Ada , fl 1901

Ada M Miller's connection with King's College is not known.

Born in 1840; third son of Julius Michael Millingen (1800-1878, an associate of George Gordon Byron, 6th Lord Byron, in 1823-1824 during the War of Greek Independence); educated at Malta Protestant College, Blair Lodge Academy, Polmont, Edinburgh University and New College, Edinburgh; MA (Edinburgh); Doctor of Divinity (St Andrews and Knox College, Toronto); Honorary Student, British School at Athens; Professor of History, Robert College Constantinople; Pastor of the Free Church of Scotland Church, Genoa; Pastor of the Union Church, Pera, Constantinople; recreations: archæology and travelling; died 1915. No connection of Van Millingen with King's College is known. Publications: Byzantine Constantinople: the walls of the city and adjoining historical sites (John Murray, London, 1899); Constantinople. Painted by Warwick Goble. Described by A. Van Millingen (Adam & Charles Black, London, 1906); with Ramsay Traquair, W S George and A E Henderson, Byzantine Churches in Constantinople: their history and architecture (Macmillan & Co, London, 1912); Walter S George, The Church of Saint Eirene at Constantinople, with an historical notice by Alexander Van Millingen (Oxford University Press, London, [1913]). Also contributed to Murray's Handbook to Constantinople and to the Encyclopædia Britannica.

Born in London, 1924; educated Purley Grammar School, Croydon, Surrey, 1935-1940, and BlackpoolGrammar School, Lancashire, 1940-1943. Awarded scholarship to Pembroke College, Cambridge but enlisted in the Royal Navy instead, 1943. Served North Atlantic Convoys and as a Sub Lt in RNVR on mine sweepers in Far East (Ceylon, Malaya and Burma), 1943-1947. Scholar of Pembroke College, Cambridge, 1947-1950. BA with First Class honours in both part of Tripos, 1950; awarded JebbStudentship, Cambridge University, 1950-1951. Appointed Lektor in English, Faculty of Philosophy, Zurich University, Switzerland, 1951-1952. Toured Italy with John Page, Aug-Sep 1952. Appointed Assistant Lecturer in English Literature, University of Malaya at Singapore, 1953-1954. Slow sea-journey home, taking in Japan, Angkor Wat, Cambodia and Egypt, 1954-1955. Lecturer in EnglishLiterature, Faculty of Philosophy and Letters, University of Groningen, Holland, 1955-1960. Took up initial appointment for two years as Lecturer in English and American Literature at King's College London, 1960-1962. Toured USA, called on Allen Ginsberg, and made many new contacts, Jul-Sep 1960. Visited New York and Philadelphia, called on William Carlos Williams, Apr-May 1962. Tenure as Lecturer at University of London confirmed, 1963. Inaugural meeting of the Institute of United States Studies at the University of London of which Mottram was co-founder and was responsible especially for the literary and cultural elements of the MA course in Area Studies (United States), 5 Jul 1965. Visiting Fellow at State University of New York at Buffalo, where he was introduced to BasilBunting, 27 Jun 1966; also lectured at Brooklyn, Bridgeport, Philadelphia and Kent State University, Oct 1965- Sep 1966. Bill Butler on trial in Brighton in August 1968 over obscene publications charges; Mottram speaks for the defence, but Magistrates convict, 1968. Visiting Professor at Kent State University Ohio, Sep-Dec 1968. Appointed Editor of The Poetry Review (the journal of The PoetrySociety, London), duties to commence with Autumn 1971 issue, Jan 1971. Visiting Professor at Kent State University, Ohio, Sep 1970-Mar 1971, tragedy of shooting of four students on campus occurred 4 May 1970. Read at Miners' Benefit Reading in Newcastle upon Tyne organised by Tom Pickard, Feb 12-13 1972. Moved in summer from 15 Vicarage Gate W8 to 40 Guernsey Grove, Herne Hill inSouth-East London, 1972. Appointed Reader in English and American Literature at King's College London, Jan 1973. Visiting Professor at Kent State University, Ohio, Jan - Apr 1974. Speaker at Melville Conference in Paris, 5-9 May 1974. Lectured in Tunis, Apr 10-17 1974. Lectured at Salzburg Seminar in American Studies, Schloss Leopoldskron, Salzburg, 25 Aug to 6 Sep 1975. Gave lecture for Austrian American Studies Association, Vienna, 3 Mar 1977. Editorship of The Poetry Review ceased after intervention from Arts Council of Great Britain in policy at The Poetry Society, 1977. Visited America, including Buffalo, New York, Kent State and San Francisco, 30 Mar-15 May 1979. Lectured at conference in Budapest, 28-31 Mar 1980. Read at Festival of British Poetry in New York, 1982. Appointed Professor of English and American Literature at King's College London, 1 Oct 1982. Teaching at Philadelphia, then tour of US covering 10 states and Canada, May-Jul 1984. Visited Hyderabad (Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages), Sep 1984. Lectured at American Studies conference at Valencia University in Spain, 28-30 May 1985. Travelled to Naropa Institute for Burroughs' Conference; then tour of Colorado, Jul 1985. Lectured at Alcala de Henares near Madrid, Apr 1988. Organised exhibition about aircraft from Sir George Cayley to the Wright Bros (1799-1909) at Polytechnic of Central London for 150th Anniversary of its founding, 1988. (In 1989 the exhibition was shown at RAF Museum Hendon). Co-edited New British Poetry Anthology for Paladin, 1988. Lectured at Sorbonne in Paris, 14 Feb 1990. During May interviewed Robert Creeley on BBC Three. Retired from King's College London with the title of Emeritus Professor of English and American Literature, Sep 1990. Read at benefit reading for Shakespeare & Co, Paris, Mar 1991. MountjoyFellow at Basil Bunting Poetry Centre, University of Durham, Jan-Mar 1992. Invitations to Coimbra University, Portugal, and University of Helsinki declined as heart surgery was required in May 1992. Visiting Professor at State University of New York at Buffalo, to help launch their Poetics program, 17 Sep-2 Dec 1992. Conference on Law & American Literature at Coimbra University, Portugal, 1993.Festschrift in Mottram's honour published A permanent etcetera: Cross-cultural perspectives on Post- War America ed. A. Robert Lee (Pluto Press, London and Boulder, Colorado, 1993), 1993. Visit to Denmark and lectured at University of Aarhus, March, and at Helsinki in Finland, early June, 1994. Two anthologies were issued in later 1994 to celebrate Mottram's 70th birthday: Motley for Mottram:tributes to Eric Mottram on his 70th birthday ed. Bill Griffiths & Bob Cobbing (Amra Imprint, Seaham, and Writers Forum, London, 1994); and Alive in parts of this century: Eric Mottram at 70 ed. Peterjon & Yasmin Skelt (North & South, Twickenham and Wakefield, 1994), 1994. Died 16 Jan 1995.Publications:Academic books: American Studies in Europe (J. B. Walters, Groningen & Djakarta, 1955) (Mottram's inaugural lecture at Groningen University, Holland) Books on America: American Literature (British Association for American Studies, UK, 1966, as 'Books on America series no. 4') (bibliography) William Burroughs: the algebra of need (Intrepid Press, Buffalo, New York, 1971, as Beau Fleuve series no. 2) and (Marion Boyars, London, 1977). Revised edition, Algebra of need: William Burroughs and the gods of death (Marion Boyars, 1992) William Faulkner (Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, 1971) Allen Ginsberg in the Sixties (Unicorn Bookshop, Brighton & Seattle, 1972) The Rexroth Reader, selected edition by Mottram (Jonathan Cape, London, 1972) Entrances to the Americas: poetry, ecology, translation, edited by Eric Mottram (Polytechnic of Central London, 1975) Paul Bowles: staticity & terror (Aloes Books, London, 1976) Towards design in poetry (Writers Forum, London, 1977) A reading of Thomas Meyer's first ten years (Reality Studios, London, 1985, as Occasional Paper no. 2) Blood on the Nash Ambassador: investigations in American culture (Hutchinson Radius, London, 1989) (selected essays)Poetry publications: Inside the whale (Writers Forum, London, 1970, as Writers Forum Quarto no. 7) Shelter Island & The remaining world (Turret Books, London, 1971, as Tall Turret 1) The he expression (Aloes Books, London, 1973) Local movement (Writers Forum, London, 1973) Kent journal (published by Mottram, 1974) (10 copies) Two elegies (Poet & Peasant, Hayes, Middlesex, 1974; second edition, 1976) Against tyranny (Poet & Peasant, Hayes, Middlesex, 1975) '1922 earth raids', and other poems 1973-1975 (New London Pride, London, 1976) A faithful private (Genera, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1976, as issue 13) Homage to Braque (Blacksuede Boot Press, [London], 1976) Descents of love: songs of recognition (Mugshots no. 6, card in set, no publisher given, 1977) Spring Ford (Pig Press Hasty Editions, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1977) Tunis (Rivelin Press, Sheffield, 1977) Precipice of Fishes (Writers Forum, London, 1979) (a set of cards) Windsor Forest: Bill Butler in memoriam (Pig Press, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1979) From shadow borders (Twisted Wrist, Paris, 1979, as publication no. 5) 1980 Mediate (Zunne Heft, Maidstone, Kent, 1980) A book of Herne: 1975-1981 (Arrowspire Press, Colne, Lancashire, 1981) Elegies (Galloping Dog, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1981) Interrogation rooms; poems 1980-1981 (Spanner, London, 1982) Address (Shadowcat, [Gateshead] 1983) (text handwritten and illuminated by Maria Makepeace) Three Letters (Spanner, London, 1984, as Open Field no. 2) The legal poems: 29 December 1980 - 30 May 1981 (Arrowspire, Colne, Lancashire, 1986) Peace projects & brief novels, 1986-1988 (Talus Editions, London, 1989) Selected poems (North & South, Twickenham & Wakefield, 1989) Season of monsters: poems 1989-1990 (Writers Forum, London, 1991) Resistances: A homage to René Char (RWC, Sutton, 1991, as RWC 9-10) Estuaries: Poems 1989-91 (Solaris, Twickenham, Middlesex, 1992) Raise the wind for me: poems for Basil Bunting (Pig Press, Durham, 1992, as special issue of Staple Diet) Time Sight Unseen (State University of New York at Buffalo, 1993) Design origins: Masks book two, poems 1993-4 (Amra Imprint, Seaham, Co. Durham, 1994) Inheritance: Masks book one, poems 1993-1994 (Writers Forum, London, 1994) Double your stakes: Masks book three (RWC, London, 1995) Hyderabad depositions (University of Salzburg Press, 1997) Periodical contests: Masks book four (Anarcho Press, Badninish, Sutherland, with Mainstream, St Albans, Hertfordshire, 1997) Limits of self-regard (Talus Editions, King's College London, 1998)Further bibliographic details of reprints, translations, collaborations and articles may be found in Eric Mottram: A Bibliography, prepared by Bill Griffiths (King's College London, 1999). See also Eric Mottram: A checklist of his poems, compiled by Valerie Soar (King's College London, 1999).

Dr Alice Mary Copping, born Stratford, New Zealand 1906; was educated at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, graduating with BSc, second class honours in Chemistry, 1925 and graduated as Master of Science,1926; awarded the Sarah Ann Rhodes scholarship from University of New Zealand enabling her to work under J. C. Drummond at University College London for two years, 1927 and awarded a BSc in Biochemistry and Physiology, 1927-1929.

Copping worked as temporary lecturer in nutrition at the School of Home Science, University of Otago, New Zealand, 1931; worked within Division of Nutrition at the Lister Institute of Public Health with Dame Harriett Chick, 1927-1931 continuing to work at the Lister Institute from 1932-1949 and was the editorial assistant of the periodical 'Nutrition Abstracts and Reviews', from 1931. Copping was employed by Queen Elizabeth College from 1949 as a lecturer in the Physiology Department; became a recognised teacher in physiology (nutrition), 1951; senior lecturer in Department of Nutrition, from 1958; granted a DSc for published papers in the field of nutrition; became a Reader in Nutrition, 1964; leaving the college in 1975.

Copping was appointed as a member of Vitamin E Sub Committee of Medical Research Council Accessory Food Factors Committee, 1938 and appointed member of the Vitamin C Sub Committee, 1945; was a consultant on nutrition education for the Food and Agriculture Organisation/World Health Organisation symposium, 1959 and acted as chairman of programme for the Third International Congress of Dietetics in London, 1961. Copping was particularly interested in vitamins, food consumption patterns in various countries, nutrition programmes, child growth and the history of nutrition, including the Nutrition Society and died in 1996.

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

Queen Elizabeth College, so called from 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

A library existed from the earliest days of the Ladies Department of King's College London in Kensington Square. It was enlarged on the creation of King's College for Women, and in the later Household and Social Science Department at Campden Hill. It was bombed during the Second World War and some 3000 volumes were salvaged from the ruins and these formed the nucleus of the post-war Library. These were deposited in a main, general, library, and in subject-specific departmental collections. Following the opening of the Atkins Buildings extension during the 1960s, the main Library was housed in two separate buildings on site: the Sargeaunt and Burton libraries. Their capacity was strictly limited, however, and a new purpose built library was proposed during the 1970s. This plan was dropped when merger negotiations between Queen Elizabeth and King's College commenced shortly afterwards. The Queen Elizabeth Library was eventually combined with the King's Library holdings from 1985 onwards.

The Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women first opened in 1915. In 1928 it became completely independent of the rest of the College and a School of the University of London, known as King's College of Household and Social Science University of London. In 1953 a Royal Charter was granted and the name changed to Queen Elizabeth College. In 1985 the College merged with King's College London and Chelsea College creating King's College London (KQC).

Royal Herbert Hospital

The Royal Herbert Hospital, Woolwich, accumulated case notes in the conduct of its business.

St Francis Hospital Nursing School

Constance Road Workhouse, East Dulwich was built for the Camberwell Board of Guardians. The Workhouse was opened in 1895, three years after the foundation stone was laid, with 898 inmates. It became the Constance Road Infirmary / Institution and specialised in caring for the deserving poor, mentally ill and handicapped people, the elderly and unmarried mothers. The Infirmary came under he control of the London County Council in 1930, and in 1936 was renamed St Francis Hospital.
In 1948, when the National Health Service Act came into operation, the St Francis Hospital came under the administrative control of Camberwell Hospital Management Committee, which included St Giles and Dulwich Hospitals. In 1966 St Francis Hospital joined the King's College Teaching Hospital Group. This resulted in St Francis Hospital Nursing School being merged with King's College Hospital Nursing School.
Following the re-organisation of the NHS, St Francis became part of Camberwell Health Authority in 1974. It became Dulwich Hospital North Wing in 1984, closing in 1991. The buildings were demolished in 1993.

Born in London, 1886; educated at St Albans School and University College, London; joined Oxford University Press as a reader, 1908; remained a member of staff (as a literary advisor) until his death, working mainly in London; published his first book of verse, 1912; a prolific author, he continued to write and lecture until his death, producing anthologies, prefaces, reviews, and over thirty volumes of poetry, plays, literary criticism, fiction, biography and theological argument; associates included C S Lewis, T S Eliot and Dorothy Sayers; member of the Church of England; increasingly devoted his writings, particularly his novels, Arthurian poems, and literary and theological commentaries, to doctrines of romantic love (believing that the romantic approach could reveal objective truth) and the coinherence of all humans; abandoned the traditional form of his early verse; in recognition of two courses of lectures in wartime Oxford, awarded an honorary MA (University of Oxford), 1943; died at Oxford, 1945. See also C S Lewis's preface to Essays presented to Charles Williams (Oxford University Press, London, 1947). Publications: Poetry: The Silver Stair (1912); Poems of Conformity (1917); Divorce (1920); Windows of Night (1925); A Myth of Shakespeare (1929); Heroes and Kings (1930); Three Plays (1931); Thomas Cranmer of Canterbury (the Canterbury Festival play, 1936); Taliessin through Logres (1938); Judgement at Chelmsford (1939); The Region of the Summer Stars (1944). Prose: as editor, A Book of Victorian Narrative Verse (1927); Poetry at Present (1930); War in Heaven (1930); Introduction to Gerard Hopkins's Poems (2nd edition, 1930); Many Dimensions (1931); The Place of the Lion (1931); The Greater Trumps (1932); The English Poetic Mind (1932); Shadows of Ecstasy (1933); Bacon (1933); Reason and Beauty in the Poetic Mind (1933); James I (1934); Rochester (1935); Elizabeth (1936); New Book of English Verse (1935); Descent into Hell (1937); Henry VII (1937); He came down from Heaven (1937); Descent of the Dove (1939); Witchcraft (1941); The Forgiveness of Sins (1942); The Figure of Beatrice (1943); as editor, The Letters of Evelyn Underhill (1943); All Hallows' Eve (1944).

Wordsworth , John , 1843-1911 , Bishop of Salisbury

Born at Harrow, 1843; educated at Winchester, New College Oxford (MA), graduated with 1st class Moderations (Oxford), 1863 and 2nd class Literae Humaniores (Classics), 1865; Assistant Master, Wellington College, 1866; Fellow of Brasenose College Oxford, 1867; Craven Scholar, 1867; ordained, 1867; MA 1868; Prebendary of Lincoln, 1870; Select Preacher, 1876, 1888; Grinfield Lecturer, 1876-1878; Whitehall Preacher, 1879; Bampton Lecturer, 1881; Oriel Professor of Interpretation of Holy Scripture, Fellow of Oriel College, and Canon of Rochester, 1883-1885; Bishop of Salisbury, 1885-1911; died, 1911. Publications: include: Fragments and Specimens of Early Latin (Clarendon Press Series, 1866); University Sermons on Gospel Subjects (James Parker & Co, Oxford and London, 1878); The One Religion: truth, holiness and peace desired by the nations, and revealed by Jesus Christ. Eight lectures [the Bampton Lectures] (Parker & Co, Oxford, 1881); The Gospel according to St Matthew. From the St Germain MS, g, now numbered Lat. 11553 in the National Library at Paris editor (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1883); Portions of the Gospels according to St Mark and St Matthew from the Bobbio MS, k, now numbered G VII 15 in the National Library at Turin. Together with other fragments of the Gospels edited with William Sanday and Henry Julian White (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1886); Prayers for Use in College 2nd edition (1890); The Holy Communion. Four visitation addresses (Parker & Co, Oxford & London, 1891); Some recent Teachings concerning the Eucharistic Sacrifice (Elliot Stock, London, [1892]); Novum Testamentum Latine, secundum editionem S Hieronymi with Rev Henry Julian White; The Four Gospels (1898); The Episcopate of Charles Wordsworth, Bishop of St Andrews (Longmans & Co, London, 1899); Bishop Sarapion's Prayer-Book, an Egyptian Pontifical dated probably about AD 350-356 Translated from the edition of Dr G Wobbermin, with introduction, notes and indices (1899); Some Points in the teaching of the Church of England, set forth for the information of Orthodox Christians of the East, in the form of an answer to questions (Christian Knowledge Society, London, 1900); The Ministry of Grace. Studies in early Church History with reference to present problems (Longmans & Co, London, 1901); The Te Deum, its structure and meaning, and its musical setting and rendering; together with a revised Latin text, notes and translation (Christian Knowledge Society, London, 1902); Family Prayers (Brown & Co, Salisbury, 1903); The Acts (1904); The Law of the Church as to Marriage of a Man with his Deceased Wife's Sister (Christian Knowledge Society, London, 1908); The Invocation of Saints and the Twenty-second Article (Christian Knowledge Society, London, 1908); Ordination Problems (Christian Knowledge Society, London, 1909); Unity and Fellowship. Diocesan addresses delivered in the year 1909 (Christian Knowledge Society, London, Brighton, 1910).

Manoel II , 1889-1932 , King of Portugal

Manoel II was born in Lisbon, 1889, the second son of King Carlos I. He succeeded to the Portugese throne on 1 Feb 1908 following the assassination of his father and elder brother Prince Luiz.

Manoel sought to save the fragile position of the monarchy by dismissing the dictator Joao Franco and his entire cabinet in 1908. Free elections were declared in which republicans and socialists won an overwhelming victory. Revolution erupted on 4 Oct 1910 and Manoel fled to Britain.

While in exile he never gave up hope of regaining his throne, and this collection of documents contain a plan for the restoration of the monarchy and the formation of a new government.

In 1913 he married his cousin, Augusta Victoria, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. He died at Fullwell Park, Twickenham, Middlesex in 1932.

King's College Hospital Nurses' League

King's College Hospital opened in 1840, on a site at Lincoln's Inn Fields, London. In 1913 it moved to its present site at Denmark Hill, South London. In 1856, the Sisterhood of St John the Evangelist signed an agreement with King's College Hospital to provide all nursing and catering for the hospital. When this arrangement was terminated in 1885, the Committee of Management of the Hospital formed its own nursing staff, under Sister-Matron Katharine Monk. Monk reorganised the nursing department and founded the Training School of Nurses.
In 1916, five nurses who were leaving King's at that time decided to meet in five years time to renew friendship and exchange news. After that, they met annually until 1924, when they asked the Sister Matron if they could form a League. A small committee was established which was chaired by Miss M A Wilcox (Sister Matron). Its aims were to maintain links between nurses and their training school, and between past and present nurses; to uphold and forward the profession; to publish an annual magazine, and hold annual reunions. Twenty-eight members attended the first reunion of the Nurses' League on 6 Jun 1925.