CSU was established in 1972 to support the work of Higher Education Careers Services throughout the UK and Eire. Working in conjunction with the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS), CSU also publish career guides and profiles for almost every possible area of work, as well as computer aided careers guidance systems and software. CSU is a registered charity which benefits Higher Education through supporting the work of careers advisory services in higher education and is an agency of Universities UK (formerly the Committee of Vice Chancellors and Principals (CVCP)), and the Standing Conference of Principals of Colleges and Institutions of Higher Education in the UK (SCOP). CSU consists of a publishing arm, which manages the Prospects Series of employer and postgraduate recruitment directories and vacancy publications, all of which are also online at www.prospects.ac.uk; and a Guidance and Information Services (GIS), which develops and manages information and software for careers services. It works in partnership with univeristy careers advisers to ensure careers information is widely distributed throughout the higher education system and online at www.prospects.ac.uk.
Between 1950 and 1960, four national conferences were held involving organisations and individuals representing a wide range of social work organisations and activities. The 1957 conference was held in Edinburgh and was entitled 'Children and Young People'. Regional study groups met prior to the conference to discuss questions raised in a 'Guide to Studies'. Members of these were drawn from many different types of organisation and included voluntary and local government social workers, academics, school teachers, church workers, doctors, education officers, and local councillors. They discussed a very wide range of issues and local concerns based on the five main chapters of the 'Guide to Studies': children at home; children at school; young people at work; leisure; and homemaking. Each local group drew up a report on their discussions and many were included in the published conference handbook.
Duncan Taylor was a producer and programme editor in the Schools Broadcasting Department of the BBC from 1947 to 1972. Previous to this he worked in teaching, educational administration and the RAF. He was the author of several books for children on careers and historical subjects.
Sir Fred Clarke (1880-1952) was an eminent educationist. Having qualified as a teacher and gained a degree in History from Oxford University, Clarke held a number of posts in teacher education and university departments in Britain and abroad, including as Senior Master of Method at York Diocesan Training College, 1903-1906, Professor of Education at Hartley University College, Southampton, 1906-1911, Professor of Education, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 1911-1929 and Professor of Education, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 1929-1934. In 1935, Clarke was appointed as Adviser to Oversea Students at the Institute of Education, University of London and in 1936 he became Director of the the Institute, a position which he held until his retirement in 1945. Clarke also served on numerous committees, including for the British Council and Colonial Office, and was influential in the establishment of the National Foundation for Educational Research and the McNair Committee. After his retirement he remained connected with the Institute, becoming once again Adviser to Oversea Students and also undertook other advisory roles, notably for the National Union of Teachers. Sir Fred Clarke was an influential figure in the development of teacher education, colonial and comparative education and he also promoted the application of sociology to educational theory.
Dorothy Glynn was one of Her Majesty's Inspectors of Schools and may have used these slides in her work.
The Institute was founded in 1902 as the London Day Training College. Financed and controlled by the London County Council and with the academic support of the University of London, it was initially a college for training elementary school teachers to work in the capital. In 1909 it became a School of the University of London, losing this status when, in 1932, it was transferred wholly to the control of the University. At this date it also changed its name to the Institute of Education, University of London. During the years it had gradually expanded its role, starting to train secondary school teachers and to offer higher degrees and research. Particularly important were its work in training teachers for colonial service and the establishment of the Child Development Department.
In 1942 the McNair Committee was established by the Board of Education, 'To investigate the present sources of supply and the methods of recruitment and training of teachers and youth leaders and to report what principles should guide the Board in these matters in the future.' It published its report in 1944. It was divided over the best method of reorganising teacher training, and it was four years before, in 1949, a new scheme for London was instituted. An 'Area Training Organisation' (ATO) for the London area was created. Confusingly, this took the name University of London Institute of Education and comprised around thirty affiliated individual colleges and education departments, including the 'old' Institute of Education. A new governing body (Council), and committee structure was created for the scheme to look after syllabuses, examinations, etc for all the constituent colleges which retained their own local governing bodies and administraive structures for local matters. The separate identity of the old Institute, sometimes now termed 'central activity' or 'Central Institute' was ensured by the establishment of a separate governing body (Committee of Management) and committee structure. However, both 'Central' and 'Wider' Institutes were administered from the 'Central Institute' building and shared one single administrative structure (registry, accounts office and examinations department). This arrangement was dissolved in 1975 and in 1987 the Institute once again became a School of the University of London, incorporated by Royal Charter. As a graduate college of the federal University it now offers a wide range of courses including initial teacher education, further professional development and research degree programmes and is a major centre for educational research.
George Barker Jeffery was born in 1891 and educated at Strand School, King's College London and Wilson's Grammar School, Camberwell. In 1909 he qualified as a teacher at the London Day Training College and graduated from University College London in 1911. He went on to teach, research and publish on mathematics and mathematical physics at University College, holding the post of Assistant Lecturer in Applied Mathematics from 1912 to 1921. In 1921 Jeffery became University Reader in Mathematics at University College, and in 1922 Professor of Mathematics at King's College London. In 1924 he returned to University College as Astor Professor of Pure Mathematics. In 1945 Jeffery was appointed as Director of the newly-established University of London Institute of Education where he became interested in the problems of West African education. He was also actively involved in the Secondary School Examinations Council, the National Advisory Council on the Training and Supply of Teachers, the National Foundation for Educational Research, the New Education Fellowship, the Advisory Council on Education in the Colonies and the Association of Teachers in Colleges and Departments of Education. Jeffery was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1926 and served as Vice-President from 1938-1940. His publications include Relativity for Physics Students (1924) and African Education (1953). He retired from the Institute in 1957.
On its transfer to University of London in 1932, the Institute of Education was removed from London County Council (LCC) control. It became a central activity rather than a School of the University and its management was placed in the hands of a Delagacy appointed by the University Senate. This was composed of the Vice Chancellor, the Chairman of Convocation, and Principal of the University, the Director of the Institute, the Head of the Training Department at King's College, two members nominated by the LCC, two members of the Institute Academic Board, five representatives of the University Senate and five other co-opted members. In 1935 representation of the Institute's Academic Board was increased to four members. In March 1949 a new administrative structure was established to take the place of the Institute of Education Delegacy and the Training Colleges Delegacy. The first Chairman of the Delegacy was Lord Eustace Percy. He was succeeded in 1937 by W.R. Halliday, Principal of King's College London.
The origins of ISCO may be found in the the small Careers Advisory Bureau (CAB), run by the educational agents Messrs. Truman & Knightley from the 1920s onwards. In 1933, an Public Schools Section of the CAB was instituted, run by a Captain Pullein-Thompson. It was advised by a committee of headmasters Following the outbreak of war, the Public Schools Section of the CAB removed themselves from Truman & Knightley and formed the Public School Employment Bureau (PSEB) in 1939. This entity became a company limited by guarantee in 1942. The end of the war and the increasing numbers of public school leavers meant that the resources and staffing of PSEB were stretched to the limit. In 1947, an enquiry by a committee of the Headmasters' Conference, led by Sir George Schuster, came to the conclusion that PSEB needed to be radically overhauled. The new goals were to widen the range of help given to boys, improve contacts with schools and businesses, encourage schools to wrok out training schemes for 18 year olds, and assist careers masters by sending them prepared and classified information regarding openings throughout the whole country. The new organisation, known after May 1950 as the Public Schools Appointment Bureau (PSAB), was given a national structure and staffing, and was led by a Council composed of headmasters and representatives of school governing bodies. Regional offices began appearing in 1951, and PSAB provided a systematic placement service, various courses and summaries of training schemes. Though membership grew during the 1950s and early 60s, by the later part of the decade it had slowed due to the wish of students to attend higher education, economic fluctuations, and a lack of new schools eligible to join the scheme. PSAB responded by working more closely with parents, for example implementing the Parents Participation Scheme (later the Careers Guidance Scheme), where parents contributed money in exchange for packages of guidance, information and access to courses. In 1972, PSAB was renamed ISCO, the Independent Schools Careers Organisation, and the criteria for membership was relaxed to allow in non-HMS schools. Growth was maintained during the 1980s with the introduction of Morrisby tests and the computerisation of careers guidance. Joan Hills was the ISCO office manager from 1948 to the 1980s This information was taken from an unpublished work by Mike Hicks, 'Careers Work and Independent Schools 1920 - 2000: Eighty Years of Vocational Guidance', to mark the 50th Anniversary of ISCO. Mike Hicks is a member of the ISCO Council.
Born in Belgium, Joseph Lauwerys (1902-1981) came to England with his parents in 1914. After taking degrees in chemistry and physics at King's College, London, Lauwerys worked from 1927 to 1932 as a physics master at Bournemouth and at Christ's Hospital School. In 1932 he joined the staff of the Institute of Education, University of London, being in turn Lecturer in Methods of Science (1932-1941), Reader in Education (1941-1947), and Professor of Comparative Education (1947-1970). In 1970 he became the first Director of the Atlantic Institute, Nova Scotia. During his career he held many visiting professorships around the world and travelled widely as a consultant and observer of educational conditions. In particular, from 1944-1945 he was Director of Commission of Enquiry on Special Educational Problems, Conference of Allied Ministers of Education and, from 1945-1947, as an adviser and consultant, he played an important role in the establishment of UNESCO. He was also heavily involved in many different organisations for promoting international co-operation and understanding and comparative education, including the World Education Fellowship. For almost twenty years he was an editor of the World Year Book of Education. Building on his science background, Lauwerys also pioneered new aspects of science teaching and curriculum reform, emphasising how science should be a part of mainstream culture, and promoted the use of new educational media, including film and radio.
Katherine Bathurst, the daughter of the Rev. Frederick Bathurst, Archdeacon of Bedford, was born on the 10th May 1862 in Diddington, Huntingdonshire and educated at home, in Brighton and Dresden; taught at the Morley College for Working Men and Women and also French at the Honeywell Road Evening Continuation School, 1894-1895; attended classes and lectures in economics at the London School of Economics, 1895; appointed the third female school sub-inspector by the Board of Education (Miss R.A. Munday and Miss S.J. Willis, had been appointed in 1896), September 1897. She was initially attached to Chief Inspector Rev Francis Synge in the East End of London but they had a difficult working relationship and, in November 1897, she was transferred to the Lambeth district, first under HMI Mr W.E. Currey and then the Rev. Charles D. Du Port, with Miss Munday.
In February 1899 Katherine Bathurst was posted to the Cardiff and Barry districts under Mr A.G. Legard, Chief Inspector of Wales. Two out of three teachers in the area were women and they had requested a female inspector. During 1899-1900 she visited infant schools in the area and criticised running conditions and exercise drills in her reports. She and Legard encouraged the introduction of the kindergarten system into infant schools in the district. Bathurst also took an interest in special schools and secured regular dinners for young children in the Cardiff Blind School. During this period she made a representation to Sir George Kekewich, Secretary of the Education Department, concerning the working conditions of sub-inspectors.
In 1901 Bathurst asked for a transfer and was posted to Oxford where she worked under HMI Edmond Holmes. She entered into a number of disputes with Holmes and Board of Education officials concerning Holmes' editing of her reports, her claims for expenses and diary entries. In February 1904 she was put 'on probation' for six months following a complaint by the Oxford Education Committee.
In March 1904 the female inspectors were taken out of the regular inspectorate. Their new role was to be specialist 'Women Inspectors' under a divisional inspector. Two were to be based in London, one in the Midlands, one in Yorkshire, one in Wales. Bathurst was to be based in Manchester under HMI E.M. Sneyd-Kynnersley. They were to report on the education of 3-5 year-olds in public elementary schools, looking into the social background of the children, school organisation, teaching and discipline. Their role was to collect information, not to inspect or to give advice. A standard 'Form 61', with prescribed questions, was issued for completion on each school visit.
Bathurst visited as many schools as she could within her probation period and estimated she had inspected 91 schools and 30,000 children. She reported that the school premises were ill-ventilated, overcrowded and unhygienic, the desks were too high for small children and children were made to stand while reading and to exercise with dumb-bells. She argued that harsh discipline and a strict curriculum were unsuitable for 3-5 year olds and proposed a kindergarten system, with play space and hammocks for sleeping until the age of 6. She proposed that certified teachers should be replaced by qualified nurses with the Froebel Certificate.
Encouraged by Sir John Gorst, Bathurst submitted her preliminary report before the end of her probation period and before it was requested by the Board of Education, knowing it was likely to result in her dismissal. Sir John Gorst (1835-1916) was an MP and his wife was the cousin of Bathurst's mother. He was interested in questions of child labour and the social conditions of children and gave advice on the contents of the report and on the covering letter before Bathurst submitted it on 16th August 1904. The Board of Education criticised it for making recommendations outside the remit of the investigation, rather than presenting collected data in accordance with the prescribed questions laid out in Form 61. Bathurst was asked to resign as from 7th February 1905 and, meanwhile, to complete her report as originally requested.
Again with encouragement from Sir John Gorst, she submitted her completed report and a supplementary report on her resignation. The supplementary report attacked the system of inspection and included specific names and details as examples. After some debate, both reports were included in the series of Women Inspectors' Reports published by the Board of Education in September 1905. Bathurst's report was prefaced and footnoted by the Board to counter some of her statements and specific names and examples were omitted. There was general press and education press coverage of the Reports and particularly of Bathurst's and the Board of Education's comments. Bathurst carried on the dispute through letters and articles in the press.
After her resignation she continued to take part in debates on the system of school inspections and infant school education. She later became involved in the National Union of Women Teachers (NUWT). In 1932, when she sent her papers to the NUWT, she was living in the Isle of Wight.
The Reverend Michael Burden (b 1936) attended Banks Lane Council School and Stockport School; schoolmaster at Prestatyn and Heaton Moor College, 1954-1956; attended Selwyn College, Cambridge University, where he changed his course from Natural Sciences to Theology, 1956-1959. Ridley Hall Theological College, 1959-1962; Assistant Curate at Ashton-upon-Mersey, 1962; Chaplain at St Peter's Junior School in York, 1965-1970; Head of Religious Education and Careers at Beverley Grammar School, 1970-1974; Rector at Walkington, 1974-1977; Head of Community Studies at Sir Leo Schultz High School in Hull, 1977-1982; Priest-in-charge of Holy Trinity, Berwick upon Tweed, 1982-1992.
The Mother Goose Award was established in 1979 for 'the most exciting newcomer to British children's book illustration'. Its aim was to encourage children's book illustrators at the beginning of their careers by drawing serious critical attention to their work and to encourage children's book publishers to continue to foster new talent in the field of illustration for children. It was sponsored by Books for Children.
John Daniell Morell (1816-1891) was a physician with an interest in psychology and philosophy. He was also a writer of books on English language and grammar.
No information available at present.
The Polytechnics Council for the Education of Teachers was founded in 1976 to provide a national forum for the exchange of information, opinions, experiences and ideas on teacher education as it concerned polytechnics. Each polytechnic sent a senior member of staff as a representative to the Council which discussed policy formation and a wide range of other issues.
The Programme for Reform in Secondary Education was established in 1975 as a pressure group campaigning for the principle of 'a fully comprehensive system of secondary education'. It held conferences, meetings and workshops, published pamphlets and a newsletter and participated in debates in the press and broadcast media. Among those influential educationists involved in the group's activities were Harry Rée, Maurice Kogan, Caroline Benn, Gabriel Chanan, Margaret Maden and Maurice Plaskow. It officially wound up its activities in 1994.
REfIT (Religious Education from Information Technology) was formed in November 1997 to look at the future of RE and IT, and discuss how information and communications technology would affect the teaching of RE. The original idea for the REfIT came out of a series of discussions under the aegis of the RE Futures Project set up on the 10th anniversary of the PCfRE (Professional Council for Religious Education) in 1995. From the communications module of the Futures Project came the recommendation for an RE and IT project. It was agreed that Farmington would look for funding and that the PCfRE would run the project. The Dulverton Trust agreed to provide £20,000 over three years, and REfIT was born. The aim of the REfIT Project was to 'develop and encourage the effective use of IT'. The participants wished to establish a network of those involved in ICT for RE; encourage the dissemination of classroom teaching materials; monitor and disseminate new technical developments; explore the potential European dimension of IT in RE; and consider 'the ethics, morals and spirituality of IT as a part of the whole school curriculum'. Led by the Project Director Jeremy Taylor, the fifteen-strong Project Team consisted of primary and secondary teachers, lecturers, examiners and IT experts. The project set up a website which held a database of interested teachers; case studies of RE lessons taught using ICT; articles on the use of ICT in RE; and the 'RE Web', a mapping of RE resources on the Internet. A CDRom was produced containing teacher information, classroom resources, case studies and the 'Children Talking' database. REfIT also formed links with numerous national bodies, including the DfEE, QCA, Ofsted and the TTA. there were also strong links with BECTa (British Education and Communications Technology Agency). Its members made significant contributions to conference, wrote articles for relevant publications, and set up courses to diseminate its work and ideas. The Project was extended for an extra year, holding its final meeting in November 2002. The REfIT website is at http://refit.ucsm.ac.uk/start.html.
Not much is known about the early life of Russell Scott (c. 1873-1961) but it is clear from this collection of papers that whilst at Balliol Collge, Oxford, he was a member of the hockey team and founded the Oxford branch of the Fabian Society. It was at a talk held by the Society that Scott first met George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950). In 1907 he became interested in universal languages and started to learn Esperanto. However between 1908 and 1930 he became somewhat sidetracked by Ido, an offshoot of Esperanto. Scott had a varied career as a language teacher and was the first headmaster of the junior department of Bedales School. In 1912 he emigrated to the United States of America, where he was Professor of French at Vanderbilt University, Tennessee. He returned to England in 1920 and also worked as an examiner for the Oxford and London Examination Boards. During the early part of 1950 he became actively interested in the use of Sprechspur (Speech-Tracing) in Germany for teaching young children to read. It was a phonetic alphabet originally devised by Felix von Kunowski (1868-1943) in 1927. In the same year Scott wrote to Shaw, as he was aware that Shaw had made a provision in his will to provide funds to encourage further research into a universal alphabet. Unfortunately however, Shaw died later that year without naming an alphabet of his choice. Scott spent the next seven years trying to persuade the Public Trustee that the Kunowski alphabet was the only possible choice. In 1955, Scott founded the Phonetic Alphabet Association, as a result of the situation concerning Shaw's will, its aim was to introduce Speech-Tracing into British schools. He was the nephew of C.P Scott of the Manchester Guardian and used this relationship extensively in order to get articles and letters concerning the Sprechspur system published. He also wrote, in Esperanto, an International Language for Scouts which was published in 1952. He was an active promoter of international languages and alphabet reform, contributed funds to the World Federation Movement and was a supporter of World Citizenship, and was also a member of the Simplified Spelling Society. Scott died on the 2nd of January 1961, aged 88.
Susan Isaacs (1885-1948) née Fairhurst, trained as a teacher and gained a degree in philosophy from Manchester University in 1912. Following a period as a research student at the Psychological Laboratory, Cambridge, she was Lecturer at Darlington Training College, 1913-1914, and then lecturer in logic at Manchester University, 1914-1915. Between 1924 and 1927 she was Head of Malting House School, Cambridge, an experimental school which fostered the individual development of children. Isaacs also trained and practised as a psychoanalyst. In 1933 she became the first Head of the Department of Child Development at the Institute of Education, University of London, where she established an advanced course in child development for teachers of young children. Between 1929 and 1940 she was also an 'agony aunt' under the pseudonym of 'Ursula Wise', replying to readers' problems in child care journals. She married twice, firstly to William Brierley and secondly (in 1922) to Nathan Isaacs.
Harold Silver (b.1928) has written researched and written extensively on educational history and policy. He and his wife, Pamela, have also collaborated on research projects and co-authored articles, reports and books. Between 1980 and 1983 Harold Silver, then Principal of Bulmershe College Reading, and Pamela Silver undertook a research project funded by the Social Science Research Council entitled 'British and American educational strategies against poverty in the 1960s and 1970s'. This work was expanded in subsequent years and the results were eventually published as An Educational War on Poverty: American and British Policy-making, 1960-1980 (Cambridge University Press, 1991). This book analysed the role of education in the American 'war on poverty' from 1964, and in Britain from the appointment of the Plowden Committee on primary schools. It examined attempts in the two countries to use education to break the 'cycle of disadvantage'. During the course of their research, the Silvers not only drew on a large number of written sources, but also conducted taped interviews with a wide range of individuals, such as educationists and policy-makers, in both the United States and Britain.
After a career in teaching, historical research, and lecturing, Sophia Weitzman (1896-1965) was appointed Lecturer in History at the Institute of Education, University of London, in 1939, and was Reader in Education from 1956 until her retirement in 1963. In the 1940s she began work on the educational volume of the official history of World War Two, which was never completed.
Founded in 1921 as the New Education Fellowship by a small group of progressive educationists and liberal thinkers who were heavily involved with the British Theosophical Society and the Theosophical Educational Trust, this organisation grew into a national and then international organisation, with local sections in many countries worldwide, and was re-named the World Education Fellowship in 1966. Although the Fellowship has embraced a wide range of individual philosophies, the central focus has been on child-centred education, social reform through education, democracy, world citizenship, international understanding and the promulgation of world peace. Many famous thinkers and educationists have been involved with the Fellowship and it has forged close links with academic institutions, including the Institute of Education, University of London, and with international organisations, especially UNESCO. An English Section of the Fellowship was founded in 1927 and has included amongst its prominent members, Sir Michael Sadler, Sir Percy Nunn, Sir Fred Clarke, R.H. Tawney and J.A. Lauwerys. The English Section was also instrumental in the establishment of the Home and School Council and the English Association of New Schools.
Author of Over Land and Sea: A Log of Travel Round the World in 1873-1874. Brother of F H H Guillemard, FRGS.
Born, 1914; teacher in Ipswich; became interested in Ipswich’s 18th century whaling trade; completed a comprehensive study of the Greenland and Davis Strait trade, 1740-1880; published numerous articles on the part played by the British navy in the exploration of the Northwest Passage and in particular the fate of Sir John Franklin and the subsequent attempts at his rescue; Head of the Department of Commerce and Business Studies, West Kent College, Tunbridge Wells; Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, 1950-2002, died, 2002.
Aubrey Howard Ninnis was commissioned as purser in SS AURORA on the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition, 1914-1916, he was intended for the shore party but stranded when the AURORA broke adrift. He was on the Aurora Relief Expedition, 1916-1917; he died in New Zealand in 1956.
Born, 1881; educated, Bedford Modern School; entered the Merchant Navy; appointment on the P and O line, 1899; second officer on HMS NIMROD for the British Antarctic Expedition, 1907-1909; commander of the HMS AURORA and the Ross Sea party, for Shackleton's Trans-Antarctic expedition, 1914-1916; died 1916.
Born, 1787; received some legal training; joined Royal Navy, 1803 and served off Spain and later in the West Indies; midshipman, 1804; stationed off Cadiz, 1909; on active service during the Napoleonic wars, and in 1810 was a lieutenant on the brig GRASSHOPPER; prisoner of war, 1811-1814; rejoined the Navy and saw active service in the war against the United States at the capture of Washington and the assaults on New Orleans; commander of the brig CALLIOPE; paid off in 1815 and placed on the reserve list; Edinburgh, 1815-1828; moved to London, 1828; Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (RGS), 1830-1860; appointed the first Secretary of the Society at the RGS's inaugural meeting, 1830; Professor of Geography, University College London, 1833-1836; left England for Hobart Town as private secretary to Lieutenant-Governor Sir John Franklin, 1836; appointed Superintendent of the penal settlement at Norfolk Island, 1840-1844; Governor of the new prison at Birmingham, England, 1849-1851; died, 1860.
Publications: A Summary View of the Statistics and Existing Commerce of the Principal Shores of the Pacific Ocean, etc. (London, 1818).
Report on the State of Prison Discipline in Van Diemen's Land (London, 1838)
The Royal Geographical Society (RGS) was founded in 1830 as the Royal Geographical Society of London. Its aim was the advancement of Geographical Science. The Society was granted a Royal Charter by Queen Victoria in 1859. In 1995 the RGS merged with the Institute of British Geographers (IBG) to create the Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers).
George Croom Robertson was awarded a Ferguson Scholarship in classics and mental philosophy in October 1861 and attended lectures at University College London from 1861 to 1862. He went to Germany and studied in 1862 in Heidelberg and Berlin, in 1863 in Gottingen, and later in Paris. In 1864 he assisted Alexander Bain in revising The senses and the intellect for a second edition. He also assisted Bain in revising The emotions and the will; compiled the classification of the species of poetry and versification for Bain's Manual of English composition and rhetoric (London, 1866); and later assisted Bain with parts of the manual of ethics for Mental and moral science (London, 1868). In September 1864 he was appointed Assistant to Professor Geddes at Aberdeen University, and lectured on Greek for the two following sessions. He was elected to the Chair of Mental Philosophy and Logic at University College London in December 1866. He began working on Hobbes; part of the result of his researches appeared in the article on Hobbes for the Encyclopaedia Britannica and part appeared in Volume 10 of Backwood's Philosophical Classics for English readers (London, 1886). From 1868 to 1873 and again from 1883 to 1888 he was an examiner in philosophy in the University of London. From 1870 to 1876 he was a member of the Committee of the London National Society for Women's Suffrage. In 1871 he took the principal share in a posthumous edition of Grote's Aristotle (with Bain). In 1872 he married Caroline Anna Crompton. Bain first mentioned the founding of a quarterly journal of philosophy in 1874, and Robertson accepted the editorship. At first they hoped to bring out the journal, entitled Quarterly review of mental science, in 1875: it finally appeared in January 1876 with the revised title Mind. Various articles by Robertson on Abelard, Analogy, Analysis, Analytic judgements, Autonymy, Association, Axiom, and Hobbes appeared in the Encyclopaedia Britannica in 1875. From 1877 to 1878 Robertson was an examiner for the Moral Sciences Tripos in Cambridge. In 1880 he experienced his first onset of serious illness. In 1886 he was elected to serve on the Council of the College. In April 1888 he tried to resign his professorship but this was not accepted by the Council: it was finally accepted in May 1892. In 1891 he resigned as Editor of Mind. In May 1892 Mrs Robertson died, and Robertson died in September of the same year.
The London University Examiner was one of the earliest University magazines. Its title refers to what was later University College London, before 1836 called the University of London.
Henri de Boulainviller (Boulainvilliers): born, 1658; trained in classical studies, French history, and the sciences; Comte De Saint-Saire; read widely and was familiar with the works of Descartes, Spinoza, Newton, and Locke; a historian and political writer whose conception of philosophical history influenced intellectual developments in the 18th century; among the first modern historians to claim that historical studies can supply the tools for analysing present society; died, 1722.
The Order of Saint Benedict comprises the confederated congregations of monks and lay brothers who follow the rule of life of St Benedict (c480-c547), written c535-540 with St Benedict's own abbey of Montecassino in mind. The rule, providing a complete directory for the government and spiritual and material well-being of a monastery, spread slowly in Italy and Gaul. By the late Middle Ages the Benedictine Rule had been translated into many languages owing to the diffusion of the order through many European countries.
The large abbey at Ottobeuren, near Memmingen, Bavaria, was founded in 764 and was among the most important early Benedictine monasteries, famous in the Middle Ages for its large library.
Headings suggest that the manuscript was written in Cologne.
Born in Ellidhavatn, Iceland, 1864; son of a leader of the Icelandic independence movement; received a law degree at Copenhagen, 1892; briefly edited a newspaper, Dagskrá, advocating the cause of Icelandic independence, 1896-1898; spent much of his life abroad, raising capital to develop Icelandic industries; published five volumes of Symbolist verse, which reflected his patriotism, mysticism, love of nature, and the influence of his extensive travels; died at Herdísarvík, 1940. Publications: Sögur og kvaedi (1897; 'Stories and Poems'); Hafblik (1906; 'Smooth Seas'); Hrannir (1913; 'Waves'); Vogar (1921; 'Billows'); Hvammar (1930; 'Grass Hollows'); translated Ibsen's Peer Gynt into Icelandic; a selection of his poems was translated into English as Harp of the North by Frederic T Wood (1955).
Written in southern Germany for Dominican use.
Sarah, younger daughter of the solicitor Richard Ironmonger Troward and sister of Richard Troward, the author of this manuscript, married the classicist Thomas Hewitt Key (1799-1875) in 1824.
The Franciscan order, the largest religious order in the Roman Catholic church, was founded in the early 13th century by St Francis of Assisi (1181/82-1226), and comprises three orders: the First Order (priests and lay brothers who have sworn to lead a life of prayer, preaching, and penance), divided into three independent branches, the Friars Minor, the Friars Minor Conventual, and the Friars Minor Capuchin; the Second Order (cloistered nuns who belong to the Order of St Clare, known as Poor Clares); and the Third Order (religious and lay men and women who try to emulate Saint Francis' spirit in performing works of teaching, charity, and social service).
This manuscript was written in Italy, probably in the Veneto and probably between 1467 and 1474.
Sir William Jenner: born at Chatham, 1815; studied medicine at University College London; apprenticed to a surgeon in Upper Baker Street, Regent's Park; admitted a licentiate of the Society of Apothecaries and a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1837; commenced general practice at 12 Albany Street, Regent's Park; graduated MD at the University of London, 1844; began a detailed study of the cases of continued fever admitted to the London Fever Hospital, 1847; by clinical and post mortem examination of thirty-six patients, substantiated the suspicion that under the name of continued fever English physicians had confounded two different diseases, typhus and typhoid, and published papers which were instrumental in ensuring that the error could not be maintained; elected a member of the Royal College of Physicians (RCP), 1848; appointed Professor of Pathological Anatomy at University College London and Assistant Physician to University College Hospital, 1849; elected Fellow of the RCP, 1852; Physician to the Hospital for Sick Children in Great Ormond Street, 1852-1862; delivered the Gulstonian lectures, on `Acute Specific Diseases', RCP, 1853; Physician to the London Fever Hospital, 1853-1861; full Physician at University College Hospital, 1854-1876; at University College London, substituted for Dr Edmund Alexander Parkes, Holme Professor of Clinical Medicine, 1855-1856; nominated Physician in charge of the skin department of University College Hospital, 1856; succeeded Parkes as Holme Professor, 1860; appointed physician extraordinary to Queen Victoria, 1861; attended the Prince Consort during the attack of typhoid which caused his death, 1861; physician in ordinary to the Queen, 1862; appointed physician in ordinary to Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (afterwards King Edward VII), 1863; Professor of the principles and practice of medicine, University College London, 1863-1872; elected a fellow of the Royal Society, 1864; councillor, RCP, 1865-1867; President of the Epidemiological Society, 1866-1868; created a baronet, 1868; Honorary DCL, Oxford, 1870; censor, RCP, 1870-1871, 1880; attended the Prince of Wales during an attack of typhoid fever, 1871; KCB, 1872; President of the Pathological Society of London, 1873-1875; President of the Clinical Society, 1875; Harveian orator, RCP, 1876; elected a Consulting Physician at University College London, 1879; Hon LLD, Cambridge, 1880; President, RCP, 1881-1888; Hon LLD, Edinburgh, 1884; GCB (civil), 1889; commander of the order of Leopold of Belgium; retired from practice owing to ill-health, 1890; died at Greenwood, near Bishop's Waltham, Hants, 1898; buried at Durley; having acquired a lucrative practice, he left a large fortune; not only a physician but a friend of Queen Victoria. Publications: papers on typhoid and typhus fevers, published in the Monthly Journal of Medical Science (Edinburgh and London) for 1849, and in the Transactions of the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society, vol xxxiii (1850); On the Identity and Non-identity of Typhoid Fever (London, 1850; translated into French and published in two parts, Brussels, 1852-1853); Diphtheria, its Symptoms and Treatment (London, 1861); Lectures and Essays on Fevers and Diphtheria, 1849-79 (London, 1893); Clinical Lectures and Essays on Rickets, Tuberculosis, Abdominal Tumours, and other Subjects (London, 1895).
Charles John Hare: born, 1818; educated at Caius College Cambridge; graduated MB, 1841; received professional training at University College Hospital and at Paris; MD (Cambridge), 1847; member of the Royal College of Physicians, 1850; appointed Assistant Physician at University College Hospital, 1850; friend of Sir William Jenner; Physician, University College Hospital, 1858; elected Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, 1859; Professor of Clinical Medicine, University College Hospital, 1863; resigned, 1867; Consulting Physician, University College Hospital; senior member of University College Hospital Council; Consulting Physician to several north London dispensaries; examiner in medicine to the University of Cambridge; Honorary Treasurer to the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society; President of the Harveian Society, Medical Society of London, North London Medical Society, and University College Medical Society; President of the Metropolitan Counties Branch of the British Medical Association, 1882-1883; died, 1898; buried at Highgate Cemetery, London. Publications: Too Hasty Generalization a hindrance to the progress of medicine as a science. An introductory address delivered before the North London Medical Society (London, 1855); Good remedies-out of fashion: Address ... delivered at the Annual Meeting of the Metropolitan Counties Branch of the British Medical Association (J & A Churchill, London, 1883).
Charles John Hare: born, 1818; educated at Caius College Cambridge; graduated MB, 1841; received professional training at University College Hospital and at Paris; MD (Cambridge), 1847; member of the Royal College of Physicians, 1850; appointed Assistant Physician at University College Hospital, 1850; friend of Sir William Jenner; Physician, University College Hospital, 1858; elected Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, 1859; Professor of Clinical Medicine, University College Hospital, 1863; resigned, 1867; Consulting Physician, University College Hospital; senior member of University College Hospital Council; Consulting Physician to several north London dispensaries; examiner in medicine to the University of Cambridge; Honorary Treasurer to the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society; President of the Harveian Society, Medical Society of London, North London Medical Society, and University College Medical Society; President of the Metropolitan Counties Branch of the British Medical Association, 1882-1883; died, 1898; buried at Highgate Cemetery, London. Publications: 'Too Hasty Generalization a hindrance to the progress of medicine as a science. An introductory address delivered before the North London Medical Society' (London, 1855); 'Good remedies-out of fashion: Address ... delivered at the Annual Meeting of the Metropolitan Counties Branch of the British Medical Association' (J & A Churchill, London, 1883).
Written in London.
An account of the Samaritan service book (known as Defter, an Arabic word for book) in its different forms was given by A Cowley, Jewish Quarterly Review (Oct 1894).
Born, 1920; educated: King William's College; University College London, 1939-1940 and 1945-1947; lecturer in English University College London, 1947-1954; Commonwealth Fund Harkness Fellow, at Yale and Michigan, 1951-1952; Reader at the University of Durham, 1954-1958; Professor, University of Durham, 1958-1960; Professor, University College London, 1960; one of the conductors of the Survey of English Usage; Quain Professor, University College London, 1968-1981.
Born, 1900; educated at Eton and Trinity College Cambridge; BA, Historical Tripos, 1921; Honorary Attaché, Berlin Embassy, 1922; succeeded to his father's title as 2nd Baronet, 1922; Assistant Secretary, Cambridge University Press, 1923; Honorary Treasurer and Lecturer, London District, Workers' Educational Association, 1925-1927; editor of The Adelphi (which had been founded by John Middleton Murry), 1930-1936; left for hospital work in the Spanish Civil War, 1937; his friends during the 1930s included John Middleton Murry, Frieda Lawrence, and George Orwell; served in the British and French navies (including the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve), 1940-1945; French Croix de Guerre, 1944; became friends with Simone Weil in the 1940s; exhibited paintings at the Royal Academy and elsewhere; literary executor of George Orwell (d 1950) and R H Tawney (d 1962); died, 1970. Publications: Brave Men: a study of D H Lawrence and Simone Weil (Victor Gollancz, London, 1958); For Love or Money (Secker & Warburg, London, 1960); George Orwell: fugitive from the camp of victory (Secker & Warburg, London, 1961); A Theory of my Time (Secker & Warburg, London, 1963); Simone Weil: a Sketch for a Portrait (Oxford University Press, London, 1966). Edited: J Middleton Murry's Selected criticism (Oxford University Press, London, 1960); J Middleton Murry's Poets, Critics, Mystics (Carbondale & Edwardsville, Southern Illinois University Press; Feffer & Simons, London & Amsterdam, 1970). Translated: with Jane Degras, Jules Monnerot's Sociology of Communism (George Allen & Unwin, London, 1953); Alfred Grosser's Western Germany: from defeat to rearmament (George Allen & Unwin, London, 1955); Simone Weil's Selected Essays (Oxford University Press, London, 1962); Simone Weil's Seventy Letters (Oxford University Press, London, 1965); Simone Weil's On Science, Necessity, and the Love of God (Oxford University Press, London, 1968); Simone Weil's First and Last Notebooks (Oxford University Press, London, 1970).
The Society was founded in 1826, largely at the instigation of Lord Brougham. The object of the new Society was 'the imparting useful information to all classes of the community, particularly to such as are unable to avail themselves of experienced teachers, or may prefer learning by themselves' (SDUK Prospectus, 1829). It sought to achieve this object by acting as the intermediary between authors and publishers in several different and often ambitious series of publications. The Society fixed the form and selling price of treatises, frequency of publication and payments to authors; the publisher made arrangement with the printer and organised the distribution and sale of publications. In charge of the Society's affairs was a General Committee of not less than 40 and not more than 60 members. Prominent on the Committee besides Lord Brougham were James Mill, Lord John Russell, Lord Althorp, Zachary Macaulay, Joseph Hume, Robert Aglionby Slaney and Augustus De Morgan. Sub-committees were appointed and their function handed over to a reconstituted Publication Committee, though even after this date, ad hoc sub-committees persisted. The Society was responsible for many series of publications including: Library of Useful Knowledge; British Almanac; Library of Entertaining Knowledge; Farmer's series; Maps; Working Man's Companion; Quarterly Journal of Education; Penny Magazine; Penny Cyclopedia; Gallery of Portraits; Library for the Young; Biographical Dictionary. In 1829 there were 515 annual subscribers to the Society but that number fell to 49 by 1842. Together with the fall in the number of subscribers went a general fall in the sale of publications. Perhaps the main reason for the fall in popularity of the publications was the fact that too many and too diverse sets of treatises ran concurrently, with an extremely cumbersome review procedure for each treatise. This led to the erratic appearance of treatises, with consequent delays in the completion of readers' sets. The publications were also felt to be of a miscellaneous and non-controversial nature and therefore aroused little interest. The Society's active life lasted until 1846 and its affairs were wound up in 1848. A very useful study on the Society is Monica C Grobel, 'The Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge 1826-1846 and its relation to adult education in the first half of the XIXth Century' (unpublished London University PhD thesis, 1932).
Unknown.
Born, 15 February 1748; learned Latin, Greek and French at a young age; attended Westminster School, 1755; Queen's College Oxford, 1760; awarded BA degree in 1763 and Master's in 1766; called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn, 1817; did not succeed or continue in the law profession; dabbled in chemistry and the physical sciences but the doctrine of utilitarianism and the principle of 'the greatest happiness of the greatest number', law reform, politics, jurisprudence and philosophy, became the occupation of his life; produced a utilitarian justification for democracy; also concerned with prison reform, religion, poor relief, international law, and animal welfare; published many writings on these subjects; died, 6 June 1832.
Publications: Introduction to the principles of morals and legislation (T Payne and Son, London, 1789)
Chrestomathia: being a collection of papers, explanatory of the design of an institution, proposed to be set on foot, under the name of the Chrestomathic Day School (Payne and Foss, London, 1815)
Supply without Burthen; or Escheat vice Taxation (J Debrett, London, 1795)
A Fragment on Government; being an examination of what is delivered on the subject of government in general, in the introduction to Sir W Blackstone's Commentaries (T Payne, London, 1776)
Constitutional Code; for the use of all nations, and all governments professing liberal opinions (printed for the Author, London, 1830)
A committee, known as the Board of Trade since 1786, adopted the title officially by an Act of Parliament of 1861 and, assuming more of an executive and less of a consultative role, dealt increasingly with domestic matters, from the 1840s given a range of regulatory duties in the economic sphere under various Acts of Parliament. During the 19th and 20th centuries the Board acquired many new responsibilities and, although several were later transferred to other government departments, its duties remained numerous, especially during wartime. By the 1960s it had general responsibility for commerce, industry and overseas trade, and in particular commercial relations with other countries. The Board's functions altered frequently during administrative reorganisations of the 1960s, losing and regaining responsibilities from other ministries. In 1970 the Board was merged with the Ministry of Technology to form the Department of Trade and Industry.
Born, 1890; educated, Bradford Grammar School, 1899-1904; University College, London, 1907-1912; art classes at the Slade School of Fine Art, 1909-; Franks studentship in archaeology to study Roman pottery in the Rhineland, 1913; junior investigator for the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (RCHM), 1913; PhD, 1920; Royal Field Artillery, 1914-1917; 76th Army Brigade, 1917-1919; Military Cross, 1918; RCHM, 1919-1920; Keeper of Archaeology at the National Museum of Wales and Lecturer in Archaeology at the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire, Cardiff, 1920; Director of the National Museum of Wales, 1924; excavated Roman sites, Segontium, 1921-1922 and Gaer near Brecon, 1924-1925; Keeper of the London Museum, 1926; established the Institute of Archaeology, 1937; excavations of the Romano-British villa and cult centre at Lydney Park, 1928-1929; Roman and immediately pre-Roman St Albans, 1930-1934 and the hill fort of Maiden Castle, Dorset, 1934-1937; 42nd Royal Artillery Regiment, 1939-1943; Director-General of the Archaeological Survey of India, 1944-1948; excavations at Taxila, 1944-1945; the Roman trading station of Arikamedu, 1945; the Indus city of Harappa, 1946 and the southern megalithic sites of Brahmagiri and Chandravalli, 1947; part-time professorship at the Institute of Archaeology in the University of London, 1948-; Secretary for the British Academy, 1949-1968; archaeological adviser to the newly formed Pakistan Archaeological Department; excavation of the hill fort of Stanwick in Yorkshire, 1954 and Charsada, Pakistan, 1956; member of the UNESCO team concerned with the preservation and conservation of Mohenjo-daro, 1960s; television broadcaster, in 'Animal, Vegetable, Mineral?' and 'Buried Treasure'; Fellowship of the Royal Society, 1968; died, 1976.
Wood was a student at the Royal College of Science from 1906 to 1909. From 1910 to 1960 he was a member of staff of the Physics Department at University College London.