Showing 15888 results

Authority record

Following the heavy enemy air raids of September 1940, the Council set up the Londoners' Meals Service as a separate Department with its own Chief Officer to control emergency feeding centres and to provide school meals for non-evacuated children in need of them. As the scale of air raid attacks diminished, the service developed into a network of restaurants and the Civic Restaurants Act, 1947 empowered local authorities to continue the provision of this service under normal peace-time conditions provided it was not run at a loss. In 1948, the Department was renamed Restaurants and Catering Deptartment.

From 1941, it had assumed the additional responsibility for canteens at ambulance and civil defence establishments and it also later undertook the catering arrangements at County Hall and other large offices of the Council.

On 1 June 1954, the Council decided to transfer to the Chief Officer of Supplies the responsibility for civic restaurants and the Restaurants and Catering Department was re-designated the School Meals and Catering Department, with responsibility solely for school meals and catering at staff restaurants in Council offices, etc. On 19 October 1954 the Council was informed that, as its civic restaurant service was not paying its way, the Minister of Food had decided upon its discontinuance and all such restaurants were closed by the end of February 1955.

From the end of 1959, the Department took over additionally the work and assets of the Invalid Meals for London organisation (formerly Invalid Kitchens of London), the company being finally dissolved in November 1964.

The Council inherited from the Metropolitan Board of Works the power under the Tramways Act, 1870 (which the Board had not in fact exercised) to construct tramways and lease them to operating companies and also to purchase at prescribed future dates the undertakings of the existing tramway companies (of which there were fourteen in 1889). Until the passing of the London County Tramways Act, 1896, the Council's powers did not extend to operating a tramway undertaking itself. The London Street Tramways Company's undertaking was the first to be purchased and released on a short-term basis in 1892 and the arbitration proceedings which ensued set the pattern for subsequent purchases.

When the undertaking of another of the companies, the London Tramways Company, which operated wholly South of the Thames, was purchased with effect from 1 January 1899, the Council decided to operate the system itself, appointing a General Manager of Tramways as the head of a new Department for this purpose and the direct management of other systems followed, as they were purchased or leases expired. Electrification powers were conferred by the London County Tramways (Electrical Power) Act 1900 and the first section of electrified line (running between Westminster Bridge and Tooting) was opened by the Prince of Wales of 15 May 1903. Electrification was completed by 1912, the large generating station at Greenwich being opened in two stages in 1906 and 1910.

The attempt of the Council to continue to operate the horse omnibus service between the south side of Westminster Bridge and Charing Cross which had been maintained by the London Tramways Company was frustrated by litigation and it was not until 1906 after much controversy that Parliament sanctioned the carrying of tramways over Westminster and other Thames bridges and along the Victoria Embankment. The Kingsway subway, designed to link the northern and southern systems was opened between Holborn and Aldwych in 1906 and extended to the Victoria Embankment in 1908.

The question of the financing of the undertaking and the form of accounts was the subject of considerable controversy at the 1907 L.C.C. elections which resulted in a change of party in the majority in the Council Chamber.

Under the London Passenger Transport Act 1933, the Council's tramway undertaking, the undertakings of the omnibus companies and the underground railways were transferred to the newly-created London Passenger Transport Board with effect from 1 July 1933.

The London County Council's housing work was administered by the Housing and Public Health Committee. The Valuer, with the Valuation Department, was responsible for the acquisition of property and maintenance and management of the Council's dwellings.

The London County Council's housing work was administered by the Housing and Public Health Committee. The Valuer, with the Valuation Department, was responsible for the acquisition of property and maintenance and management of the Council's dwellings.

Charles Goad began his career in 1869 by working as a surveyor for Canadian Railway Companies. He saw the potential of drawing up plans of towns and villages that showed the construction of buildings in order to assist fire insurance companies. On returning to England he began publishing a similar series and also began similar series for parts of Europe, South Africa, the Middle East and the West Indies. His first London plan seems to have been published in 1885 and the last revisions were made in 1970 when the company ceased to produce fire insurance plans.

The London County Council's housing work was administered by the Housing and Public Health Committee. The Valuer, with the Valuation Department, was responsible for the acquisition of property and maintenance and management of the Council's dwellings.

The principles underlying the rating and valuation system of London were the same as those for the rest of England and Wales, but minor differences did exist. A notable feature of rating and valuation leglislation had been the attempt to secure greater uniformity between the capital and the rest of the country. Thus the system of quinquennial valuation lists, which operated in London under the Valuation (Metropolis) Act 1869, was applied to the rest of England and Wales by the Rating and Valuation Act of 1925.

Since 1870 valuation lists were compiled every five years. The first step in their formation was for the rating authority - after 1899 the rating authorities within the London County Council area comprised the 28 metropolitan boroughs, the City of London and the Inner and Middle Temples, 31 in all - to obtain a return from occupiers of the particulars of hereditaments they occupied. The gross and rateable values of these properties were then forwarded to the local assessment committees who heard objections to the valuations and revised the lists as they saw fit. Appeals against the findings of the committees were heard at quarter sessions and special assessment sessions. A strict procedural timetable was laid down by the Valuation (Metropolis) Act, 1869, as the valuation list came into force on the 6 April of the following year.

Alterations in the value of hereditaments during the quinquennial period were entered into one of two other lists:-

(1) A supplemental list compiled annually by each rating authority, containing all changes during the preceeding twelve months.

(2) A provisional list made at any time the value of hereditaments increased or decreased.

The Local Government Act, 1948, transferred the task of preparing the valuation lists to the Commissioners of Inland Revenue.

In 1948 the poor law, after an existence of almost 350 years, was abolished. Those among the poor whose financial needs were not met by national insurance were given material help by the National Assistance Board. Local authorities were delegated some responsibilities by the Board, for example the provision of reception centres for the temporary accommodation of vagrants and persons without a settled way of life. In addition the National Assistance Act, 1948, required local authorities to make residential provision for the blind, disabled, elderly and infirm. However, under the Act these services were not to be provided free as a kind of official charity. Persons receiving help were to pay according to their means, even if their means were no more than a retirement pension. The Council's responsibilities in all this related therefore to the provision of establishments of various kinds. At the end of the Second World War there were public assistance institutions (formerly the old workhouses), casual wards (where tramps were put up for the night), three lodging houses, and, left over from wartime activities, the rest centres and rest homes. The Welfare Department was responsible for the organisation and management of the various residential homes, temporary homes and institutions for the assistance of the poor.

In 1948 the poor law, after an existence of almost 350 years, was abolished. Those among the poor whose financial needs were not met by national insurance were given material help by the National Assistance Board. Local authorities were delegated some responsibilities by the Board, for example the provision of reception centres for the temporary accommodation of vagrants and persons without a settled way of life. In addition the National Assistance Act, 1948, required local authorities to make residential provision for the blind, disabled, elderly and infirm. However, under the Act these services were not to be provided free as a kind of official charity. Persons receiving help were to pay according to their means, even if their means were no more than a retirement pension. The Council's responsibilities in all this related therefore to the provision of establishments of various kinds. At the end of the Second World War there were public assistance institutions (formerly the old workhouses), casual wards (where tramps were put up for the night), three lodging houses, and, left over from wartime activities, the rest centres and rest homes. The Welfare Department was responsible for the organisation and management of the various residential homes, temporary homes and institutions for the assistance of the poor.

The Council's welfare service for the blind included the keeping of a register of all blind persons, home-visiting, social and handicraft clubs, the teaching of handicrafts and the sale of the finished products. In 1942 a placement service was introduced finding employment for blind persons. In 1950 a non-residential rehabilitation course for the newly blind was started to help them to re-establish themselves and overcome their disability. This proved so successful that in 1959 it was extended into a full-time three month course.

In 1948 the poor law, after an existence of almost 350 years, was abolished. Those among the poor whose financial needs were not met by national insurance were given material help by the National Assistance Board. Local authorities were delegated some responsibilities by the Board, for example the provision of reception centres for the temporary accommodation of vagrants and persons without a settled way of life. In addition the National Assistance Act, 1948, required local authorities to make residential provision for the blind, disabled, elderly and infirm. However, under the Act these services were not to be provided free as a kind of official charity. Persons receiving help were to pay according to their means, even if their means were no more than a retirement pension. The Council's responsibilities in all this related therefore to the provision of establishments of various kinds. At the end of the Second World War there were public assistance institutions (formerly the old workhouses), three lodging houses, and, left over from wartime activities, the rest centres and rest homes. The Welfare Department was responsible for the organisation and management of the various residential homes, temporary homes and institutions for the assistance of the poor.

Casual wards provided temporary board and lodging for vagrants. After the war they were replaced by reception centres.

The London County Council, among its other powers taken over from the Board of Works, had the right to purchase the undertakings in London of the tramway companies. Between 1892 and 1903 the Council gradually acquired all the London undertakings. These were horse-drawn and not fully interconnected. The Council unified the whole into one system, converted it to electricity, reduced the fares to a half-penny for a two mile journey, introduced workmen's fares and other concessions and provided some all night services. As part of the system, the subway under Kingsway was constructed and the power station at Greenwich was built. Special powers were obtained to continue the tramways over certain bridges and along the Victoria Embankment.

In 1933 the whole tram network passed to the newly formed London Passenger Transport Board who entirely discontinued the trams.

In 1889 the Architect to the Metropolitan Board of Works was transferred to the newly formed London County Council, as the responsibilities of the MBW were being transferred to the LCC. This was later confirmed by the London Building Act 1894, in which the LCC was given power to appoint a "superintending architect of metropolitan buildings" to oversee the enforcement of regulations outlined in the Act. Actual enforcement would be done by the District Surveyors, who had to make a monthly return to the Council reporting on any new buildings and any infringement of the Act.

The role of the Architect soon developed as the range of structures constructed under order of the Council grew. By 1909 there were 13 Committees dealing with construction works, and 35 sub-committees. The work included the construction of housing (under the Housing of the Working Classes Act 1890), including slum clearance; construction of buildings in connection with the introduction of electricity; construction of educational buildings, from nursery schools to colleges; construction of fire brigade stations; construction of hospitals and institutions; street and road improvements; maintenance and construction of bridges; public parks; Weights and Measures Stations and Gas Meter Testing Stations. The Architect was responsible for overseeing the design and construction of all these buildings.

In 1889 the Architect to the Metropolitan Board of Works was transferred to the newly formed London County Council, as the responsibilities of the MBW were being transferred to the LCC. This was later confirmed by the London Building Act 1894, in which the London County Council was given power to appoint a "superintending architect of metropolitan buildings" to oversee the enforcement of regulations outlined in the Act. Actual enforcement would be done by the District Surveyors, who had to make a monthly return to the Council reporting on any new buildings and any infringement of the Act.

The role of the Architect soon developed as the range of structures constructed under order of the Council grew. By 1909 there were 13 Committees dealing with construction works, and 35 sub-committees. The work included the construction of housing (under the Housing of the Working Classes Act 1890), including slum clearance; construction of buildings in connection with the introduction of electricity; construction of educational buildings, from nursery schools to colleges; construction of hospitals and institutions; construction of fire brigade stations; street and road improvements; maintenance and construction of bridges; public parks; Weights and Measures Stations and Gas Meter Testing Stations. The Architect was responsible for overseeing the design and construction of all these buildings.

In 1889 the Architect to the Metropolitan Board of Works was transferred to the newly formed London County Council, as the responsibilities of the MBW were being transferred to the LCC. This was later confirmed by the London Building Act 1894, in which the London County Council was given power to appoint a "superintending architect of metropolitan buildings" to oversee the enforcement of regulations outlined in the Act. Actual enforcement would be done by the District Surveyors, who had to make a monthly return to the Council reporting on any new buildings and any infringement of the Act.

The role of the Architect soon developed as the range of structures constructed under order of the Council grew. By 1909 there were 13 Committees dealing with construction works, and 35 sub-committees. The work included the construction of housing (under the Housing of the Working Classes Act 1890), including slum clearance; construction of buildings in connection with the introduction of electricity; construction of educational buildings, from nursery schools to colleges; construction of hospitals and institutions; construction of fire brigade stations; street and road improvements; maintenance and construction of bridges; public parks; Weights and Measures Stations and Gas Meter Testing Stations. The Architect was responsible for overseeing the design and construction of all these buildings.

The Children's Service of the London County Council (LCC) was responsible for 4 groups of deprived children: those placed in care by their parents, those brought before juvenile court and then sent to approved schools or placed in care, those being adopted and those with foster parents. In 1929 the Local Government Act gave the functions of the poor law authorities to the LCC. The Council began to develop child services, but the Second World War interrupted this process. After the war a conception of a new form of organisation was beginning to emerge.

The 1948 Children's Act vested central control of children's services in the Home Secretary; the county councils were made children's authorities, and each was required to appoint a children's Committee and a children's officer. The LCC set up its Children's Committee in December 1948. The first children's officer was appointed in April 1949. The LCC had the duty to receive into care any child in the County, under the age of 17, whose parents or guardians were temporarily or permanently prevented from providing for them properly. Having received a child into care the Council was required to "further his best interests and afford him opportunity for the proper development of his character and abilities".

The 1948 Act required the Council to find foster carers where possible. When this was neither practical nor desirable a child was placed in a children's home. When the Children's Service was established there were 24 children's homes and nurseries. 7 of these homes were very large and had been built by the Boards of Guardians. The Service pursued three aims: that homes were to be modernised by rebuilding and adaptation, that all children should be removed as quickly as possible from unsatisfactory establishments, and that new, smaller homes should be built to facilitate the closing of the out of date largeer homes. The LCC also developed several specialised establishments, with highly qualified staff, for children presenting acute difficulties of behaviour. By 1964 there were 160 homes under the care of the Service, including nurseries for under-fives, hostels for young wage earners still in care and homes for short stay children. Procedures in the homes were also changed. Children were sent to local schools and encouraged to bring friends back to the home. Parents were invited to visit frequently. Local adults could act as 'uncles and aunts' to otherwise friendless children. Clubs, out of school activities and house magazines flourished.

The Children's Service was required to make available to juvenile courts information on the health, character and school records of all children appearing before the court. The LCC was obliged to provide remand homes for children who appeared at juvenile court, where young people awaiting a court appearance were held in safe custody. They were also used as observation centres, where psychiatrists could observe the children and provide the court with information about reasons for their behaviour and suggest the most appropriate school for the child.

In 1930 the Council decided to consent to the adoption of suitable children in its care. In 1958 the Council appointed 2 adoption officers, who came to be recognised as expert advisers on all matters connected to adoption.

The London County Council delegated administrative matters to its committees, both standing committees and a number of special committees appointed for specific purposes. The committees met frequently, either weekly or fortnightly, while the Council met weekly. Committee reports requiring decision by the Council were dealt with weekly, and each committee reported to the Council every 6 months. In addition the Council also had representatives on many bodies such as industrial councils, school governing bodies and charitable foundations. For the purpose of carrying out the services of the Council, the staff is organised into departments, each of which is under the responsibility of a chief officer.

The Clerk of the Council was the chief administrative officer of the Council, acting as the clerk of the Council itself as well as the various committees. Additional important duties of the Clerk's Department included the maintenance of the library for members of the Council at City Hall, the preparation of general publications and the responsibility for general work including records.

The London County Council delegated administrative matters to its committees, both standing committees and a number of special committees appointed for specific purposes. The committees met frequently, either weekly or fortnightly, while the Council met weekly. Committee reports requiring decision by the Council were dealt with weekly, and each committee reported to the Council every 6 months. In addition the Council also had representatives on many bodies such as industrial councils, school governing bodies and charitable foundations. For the purpose of carrying out the services of the Council, the staff is organised into departments, each of which is under the responsibility of a chief officer.

The Clerk of the Council was the chief administrative officer of the Council, acting as the clerk of the Council itself as well as the various committees. Additional important duties of the Clerk's Department included the maintenance of the library for members of the Council at City Hall, the preparation of general publications and the responsibility for general work including records.

Committees concerned with public health:

Sanitary and Special Purposes Committee, 1889-1891

Public Health and Housing Committee, 1891-1896

Public Health Committee, 1896-1930

Central Public Health Committee, 1929-1934

Hospital and Medical Services Committee, 1934-1948

Housing and Public Health Committee, 1934-1948

Health Committee, 1948-1965

Asylums Committee, 1889-1914

Asylums and Mental Deficiency Committee, 1914-1922

Mental Hospitals Committee, 1922-1948

Church of England Advisory Committee on Spiritual Ministration, 1932-1964

The London County Council delegated administrative matters to its committees, both standing committees and a number of special committees appointed for specific purposes. The committees met frequently, either weekly or fortnightly, while the Council met weekly. Committee reports requiring decision by the Council were dealt with weekly, and each committee reported to the Council every 6 months. In addition the Council also had representatives on many bodies such as industrial councils, school governing bodies and charitable foundations. For the purpose of carrying out the services of the Council, the staff is organised into departments, each of which is under the responsibility of a chief officer.

The Clerk of the Council was the chief administrative officer of the Council, acting as the clerk of the Council itself as well as the various committees. Additional important duties of the Clerk's Department included the maintenance of the library for members of the Council at City Hall, the preparation of general publications and the responsibility for general work including records.

London County Council Committees relating to building regulation and town planning were:

Building Acts Committee (1889-1935)

Town Planning Committee (1923-1935)

Town Planning and Building Regulation Committee (1935-1940)

Town Planning Committee (1940-1965)

Special Committee on Building Control (1920-1921)

Advisory Committee on Amendment of the London Building Act, 1930 (1931-35)

Advisory Committee on the Control of the Construction of Buildings in London (1957-1958)

The Education Committee of the London County Council consisted of 35 members of the Council and a number of co-opted members who were invited to serve on the Committee because of their experience in the educational field. The Committee was divided into smaller sub-committees, each with a specific focus, for example the Further Education Sub-Committee concerned itself with the policy and management of all after school-age education. The Education Officer and his staff carried out the decisions of the Committees and acted as their advisers.

To avoid over-centralisation, London was divided into 9 divisions, each consisting of about three of the metropolitan boroughs. Every division had a local office, the headquarters of the divisional officer who was the representative of the Education Officer. School inspectors were also based at the divisional office.

Division One: Chelsea, Fulham, Hammersmith, Kensington

Division Two: Hampstead, Paddington, Saint Marylebone, Saint Pancras, Westminster

Division Three: Finsbury, Holborn, Islington

Division Four: Hackney, Shoreditch, Stoke Newington

Division Five: Bethnal Green, City of London, Poplar, Stepney

Division Six: Deptford, Greenwich, Woolwich

Division Seven: Camberwell, Lewisham

Division Eight: Bermondsey, Lambeth, Southwark

Division Nine: Battersea, Wandsworth

The Education Committee of the London County Council consisted of 35 members of the Council and a number of co-opted members who were invited to serve on the Committee because of their experience in the educational field. The Committee was divided into smaller sub-committees, each with a specific focus, for example the Further Education Sub-Committee concerned itself with the policy and management of all after school-age education. The Education Officer and his staff carried out the decisions of the Committees and acted as their advisers.

To avoid over-centralisation, London was divided into 9 divisions, each consisting of about three of the metropolitan boroughs. Every division had a local office, the headquarters of the divisional officer who was the representative of the Education Officer. School inspectors were also based at the divisional office.

The London County Council was required, as a local education authority, to make provision for nursery schools and nursery classes. In 1939 the Council maintained 5 nursery schools and gave assistance to 18 others maintained by voluntary organisations. By 1963 there were 25 LCC nurseries and 5 voluntary nurseries. The first nursery class in an infants' school was opened in 1936, by 1963 there were 183 nursery classes in infant and primary schools.

Fluctuations in the number of primary school age children in London have caused the Council administrative difficulties over time. In 1946 the number was 205,337, in 1954 283,064 and in 1963 227,849. The LCC development plan for new schools tried to take into account where schools would be needed. The size of classes was a subject of continual concern. An acute shortage of teachers made it difficult to reduce class sizes and in 1963 10.5 percent of classes were oversized according to Ministry of Education guidelines. The Council developed an education programme which expanded on the basic skills of reading, writing and arithmetic to include developing social activity and the desire for creative achievement. In 1963 the Council approved the provision of a new experimental primary school which would admit pupils from 3 years to 9 years of age, in order to experiment with reducing the anxiety of transition and transfer between three phases of education - nursery, infant and primary.

The Education Act, 1944, introduced secondary education for all children from the age of 11. A scheme became necessary for the transfer of pupils from primary to secondary schools. For the previous 40 years the Council had awarded scholarships tenable at secondary schools. From 1945 every child had to be considered individually for transfer to a secondary school appropriate to his ability and aptitude. The scheme adopted was based on three factors - parental choice, reports from primary school heads, and an examination known as the common entrance test. To assist heads in making their reports a standard record card was introduced in 1949 for recording each pupil's progress, ability and interests. In 1955 a new scheme for transfer was adopted. A test, now known as the Junior Leaving Examination, continued to be used, but more importance was placed on the advice given to parents by the head teacher. Each parent was asked to express an order of choice for 2 schools. Local advisory committees exercised supervision over the scheme and handled appeals from parents. The Junior Leaving Examination was abolished in 1964, replaced by a primary school profile for each pupil recording interests, abilities, attainments and characteristics.

The Council decided that comprehensive schools were the best means of providing secondary education for all, as they were open to children without need for an examination, offered a wide range of studies and promoted social unity among adolescents of all degrees of ability. The London School Plan provided for 64 comprehensive schools, although it was not possible to construct so many new buildings and many schools were opened in adapted older buildings. By 1964 there were 69 comprehensive schools in London. To supplement its secondary school provision the Council continued to reserve a number of places at independent and direct-grant grammar schools, and from 1946 onwards gave assistance towards boarding school educations.

For many years the Council directed its efforts towards the development and provision of a broad and liberal curriculum. A variety of courses to suit individual abilities, aptitudes and interests was introduced. Most schools offered at least one foreign language, some made a special feature of arts and crafts, music, or offering classes to prepare for technical education. Organised games were an essential part of the curriculum, leading the Council to purchase large tracts of land to provide playing fields. Activities outside school were also important, including school trips to places of interest and longer visits outside of London. Centres for rural studies were formed in Surrey, containing full classroom facilities. Cultural trips were also undertaken to the theatre, concert hall or museum.

The Education Committee of the London County Council consisted of 35 members of the Council and a number of co-opted members who were invited to serve on the Committee because of their experience in the educational field. The Committee was divided into smaller sub-committees, each with a specific focus, for example the Further Education Sub-Committee concerned itself with the policy and management of all after school-age education. The Education Officer and his staff carried out the decisions of the Committees and acted as their advisers.

To avoid over-centralisation, London was divided into 9 divisions, each consisting of about three of the metropolitan boroughs. Every division had a local office, the headquarters of the divisional officer who was the representative of the Education Officer. School inspectors were also based at the divisional office.

In 1919, the Standing Joint Committee on Scales of Salary for Teachers in Public Elementary Schools was established at the request of the President of the Board of Education 'to secure the orderly and progressive solution of the salary question in Public Elementary Schools on a national basis and its correlation with a solution of the salary problem in Secondary Schools'. Similar committees were subsequently established concerned with the salaries of teachers in secondary schools and those teaching in technical schools. The first Burnham report of 1919 established a provisional minimum scale for elementary school teachers payable from January 1920. This initial stage was followed in 1921 by four standard scales of salary allocated by areas, which were to operate for four years. Negotiations for scales of salary to operate following the four year settlement ended in disagreement and was finally decided by arbitration, Lord Burnham acting as arbiter. Four new scales were formulated as well as some re-allocation scales for individual authorities.

The committees became known as the Burnham Committees after the chairman Lord Burnham, and following his death in 1933 the title was officially adopted.

Plans and preparations for the evacuation of civilian populations from vulnerable areas had been made well before the war. London was regarded as the main target, and the general belief was that hostilities would start with an immediate series of heavy aerial bombardments. During the Munich crisis of September 1938 about 4000 children from nursery and special schools were sent by ambulance to camps and residential schools outside London. They were brought back within a month, the crisis having passed. This experience was to prove useful.

In January 1939 a special evacuation division of the Ministry of Health and the Board of Education, with the help of officers of the Council, made detailed plans. Schoolchildren, children under five with their mothers, expectant mothers, and blind adults were treated as priority classes. Transport was planned for moving a million and a quarter people from London. In August 1939 the Council announced that 600,000 people had been evacuated without mishap. By Christmas 1939 no serious air attacks had occurred, and a large number of the evacuees had returned to London. In June 1940, with the increasing threat of air-raids, the exodus from London recommenced, although this time the priority classes were encouraged to make their own arrangements; free travel vouchers were issued and billeting allowances paid. The constant problem was to check the drift back to London whenever there was a lull in the raids, to be followed by another exodus when the air raids started again.

The evacuation encountered many difficulties and criticisms. It did, however, undoubtedly save the lives of thousands of children. The London children and the residents of the countryside were brought into sudden and closer awareness of each other. The way of life of the slum dwellers was startlingly revealed, giving added impetus to the movement for a reconstruction of London to provide better living conditions for its citizens.

The Council's functions in relation to housing were originally exercised by the Valuer but were separated in 1901 to form an independent Department under a Housing Manager. In 1919, the greatly increased work involved in the preparation and development of new schemes led to the appointment of a Director of Housing responsible both for development planning and for the management of estates, the former Housing Manager at this stage becoming a subordinate officer under him. In 1921, the Department as a whole was again merged with that of the Valuer. This position continued until 1 April 1954 when a separate Department was again created under a Director of Housing. Originally designated Housing Management Department, it was renamed Housing Department in 1960. The Housing Department's work was focussed mainly on slum clearance, the construction of new housing estates both inside London and out of county, and the post-war provision of emergency housing.

The Legal and Parliamentary Department of the London County Council monitored bills before Parliament and considered their ramifications for the work of the LCC. They also prepared petitions opposing or supporting bills and put forward proposals for legislation to be put forward by the LCC.

The London County Council, from its inception, followed the practice which had obtained under the Metropolitan Board of Works of preserving virtually all the documents which were before a committee or sub-committee at its meetings (not merely the more important reports, etc circulated with the agenda papers) and binding them in a series of volumes running parallel to the series of volumes of signed minutes. Except in the case of meetings of the Council itself and its Education and Public Assistance Committees (whose minutes were saleable to the public), no considerable body of background information tended to be incorporated in the minutes themselves and the attention of students is accordingly drawn to the desirability of consulting the presented papers of committees and sub-committees in conjunction with their study of the minutes.

Presented papers are normally bound chronologically, meeting by meeting and, within a meeting, follow the order of item numbers in the minutes, the item number usually being endorsed on the presented document in its top right-hand corner. Separate indexes from those associated with the minutes are not therefore called for.

The following are the exceptions to the system described above;-

a) There are no presented papers for certain minor special and ad hoc committees and sub-committees.

(b) Certain classes of plans and drawings were not retained by the Committee Clerks but were permitted to be returned to the department of origin.

(c) Certain plans and drawings of too large a size to be bound in with the presented papers are separately stored.

(d) The system of presented paper was not applied to the Education Committee and it sub-committees until September, 1940. The important reports, etc circulated before the meetings will, ever be found bound in with the agendas papers.

(e) The presented papers of the Asylums Committee up to the end of 1919 and some of its sub-committees up to somewhat later dates were sent for salvage during the Second World War.

(f) The presented papers of the Housing of the Working Classes Committee and the Public Health and Housing Committee between March, 1889 and December 1906 are bound subject by subject and not chronologically. From 1907, the normal chronological system is followed.

(g) The presented papers of the Theatres and Music Halls Committee between March 1889 and October 1909 are bound theatre by theatre and not chronologically with six additional volumes bound subject by subject. From October 1909, the normal chronological system is followed.

The term 'public control', as used in the Council's organisation, embraced various services of a regulative character, mostly exercised by some form of licensing control. Largely unobtrusive in their operation, and producing no spectacular effects, they were all carried out in the public interest and, in some respects, for the protection of the public or certain sections of it.

Their administration was conditioned by trends in the legislative provisions under which they were operated, by shifts and changes in social usages, and by the development of the Council's policies towards the matters to which they related.

War charities and charities for the blind were not allowed to make any appeal to the public for donations or subscriptions in money or in kind unless they were registered by a local authority. The requirement to register was extended in 1948 to all charities for disabled persons. Registered charities had to comply with certain statutory provisions designed to promote good management.

In 1963 there were registered with the Council 87 war charities and 103 charities for the disabled. Some were small charities operating in a particular district of London, others were large national organisations whose administrative offices happened to be in London.

The term 'public control', as used in the Council's organisation, embraced various services of a regulative character, mostly exercised by some form of licensing control. Largely unobtrusive in their operation, and producing no spectacular effects, they were all carried out in the public interest and, in some respects, for the protection of the public or certain sections of it.

Their administration was conditioned by trends in the legislative provisions under which they were operated, by shifts and changes in social usages, and by the development of the Council's policies towards the matters to which they related.

The Council was the authority responsible for the grant of licences to cover the safe keeping of petroleum spirit, petroleum mixture, and carbide of calcium, which is used to produce acetylene. Leaking petrol tanks were located and the leakage stopped before accident could occur. Disused tanks were rendered safe from danger of fire and explosion, and the Council kept records of all disused tanks remaining in the ground.

In addition the Council exercised powers over the storage of inflammable liquids and dangerous businesses such as varnish making, oil boiling and wax polish manufacture. The Council was an authority under the Explosives Acts, but the statutory requirements relating to safety distances made large stores of explosives impractical in London. The Council was principally concerned with the registration and inspection of shops where fireworks were stored.

Duties of control and registration of highly flammable celluloid stores were given to the Council in 1915. Between the two world wars very large stocks of cinematograph film were stored in London, mostly in the Wardour Street area, where film renters' premises were situated. The Council's celluloid inspector had to ensure that the safety precautions laid down in the Act were properly observed. The quantity of celluloid and nitro-cellulose cinematograph film in the county became greatly reduced, and by 1963 there were only about 60 stores registered. The films stored were mostly of historic interest or were used to print safer stock from the original nitro-cellulose films.

The London County Council assumed responsibility for the general hospitals formerly maintained by the Boards of Guardians and the Special hospitals formerly maintained by the Metropolitan Asylums Board with effect from 1 April 1930. These hospitals needed much work to modernise, equip and staff them adequately. The Council made great improvements in hospital accommodation and staffing standards. The nursing service had been improved, medical schools established, and a laboratory service built up. These functions were transferred to the Regional Hospitals Boards and Hospital Management Committees under the National Health Service Acts with effect from 5 July 1948. The Council assisted by providing services of supply, engineering and finance for several months after the transfer, until Council officers could be absorbed into the new organisation.

The question of an ambulance service for street accident cases was first debated by the Council in 1901 but it was not until 1905 that application was made to Parliament for powers to provide such a service. The Bill was rejected by a Committee of the House of Lords but a Metropolitan Ambulances Act was passed in 1909. This Act was permissive only and a long period of debate ensued as to whether the existing services provided by the Metropolitan Asylums Board, the Boards of Guardians and the Metropolitan Police were adequate. Finally, in March 1914, the Council decided to provide a street accident Ambulance Service which was placed under the command of the Chief Officer of the London Fire Brigade. The first station was opened in February 1915 and, by October of that year, the service was in operation in all parts of the County.

On 1 April 1930, when the Council took over the functions of the Metropolitan Asylums Board and the Boards of Guardians it also took over their ambulance services. A unified London Ambulance Service under the supervision of the Medical Officer of Health was then formed from the combination of these services with the Accident Section previously administered by the Chief Officer of the London Fire Brigade.

Health services were transferred from the City and the boroughs to the London County Council, including maternity and child welfare, health visiting, home help, vaccination and immunisation, and the care of those with tuberculosis. The Council took over 4,843 lay and professional staff, 70 freehold premises, and 252 tenancy arrangements, as well as adding new services such as home nursing, the provision of health centres and the expansion of the ambulance service. The County was divided into nine divisions, each with a divisional health committee, a divisional medical officer, a nursing officer and an administrative officer.

The Council's maternity and child welfare centres provided ante-natal, post-natal and child welfare clinics, motherhood classes, nutrients, medicines and National Welfare Foods. Domiciliary midwives used the ante-natal clinics to examine their patients and book visits. Day nursery services were also provided. The child welfare service provided a diagnostic service for detecting mental and physical handicaps and offered psychiatric care.

In 1948 the Council became responsible for services for the prevention of tuberculosis and the care and after-care of tuberculous persons. Diagnostic and treatment services were transferred to the hospital authorities, but the Council paid parts of the salaries of chest physicians, and hired tuberculosis visitors and handicraft instructors. A BCG vaccination scheme was initiated for school children. Hostels were established for homeless men with tuberculosis who might be an infection risk for others. Diversional therapy classes were held at many chest clinics for patients able to travel. A service for homebound patients was also established. Tuberculosis health visitors saw patients in their homes, advised on diet and hygiene, ascertained home conditions and needs, provide extra nourishment and ensure patients attended clinic.

Before 1948 home helps were provided by boroughs for maternity cases and the sick and infirm. Under the National Health Service Act the Council took over this service and was empowered to provide help to any person who was ill, lying-in, an expectant mother, mentally defective, aged, or a child not over compulsory school age.

The Common Lodging Houses Act 1851 required common lodging houses in London to be registered with the Metropolitan Police and contained many provisions for their regulation. In 1894, the registration powers of the police were transferred to the London County Council by a provisional order of the Local Government Board. The registers maintained by the Metropolitan Police between 1851 and 1894 were subsequently transferred to the Council. The Merchant Shipping Act 1894 gave permissive powers to local authorities to regulate seamen's lodging houses and by-laws made by the Council in 1901 prescribed general standards in this regard and certain additional requirements for houses for which a licence was granted. Licensing was, however, optional and few keepers sought a licence. In 1909 the Council obtained powers requiring the compulsory licensing of seamen's lodging houses which came into effect the following year. In 1933 the Council's functions in relation to both common lodging houses and seamen's lodging houses were transferred to the metropolitan borough councils.

In 1889, the London County Council took over from the Justices the function of licensing slaughterhouses, knackers yards and cowhouses under Section 93 of the Metropolis Management Amendment Act, 1862. In 1933, these powers were transferred to the Metropolitan Borough Councils.

The Infant Life Protection Act 1872 was an early attempt to make some provisions for the provision of neglected or 'deprived' children outside the ambit of the Poor Law or the Judiciary. It required foster-parents receiving more than one infant for maintenance in return for money payments to register their houses with the local authority (in London, the Metropolitan Board of Works). The duty of keeping a register passed to the London County Council in 1889 and the Infant Life Protection Act 1897 made it the duty of the authority to enforce the Act. Relatives and guardians of children, hospitals, convalescent homes or institutions 'established for the protection and care of infants and conducted in good faith' were exempted from the provisions of both Acts as well as persons maintaining children under any Act for the relief of the poor. So far as the Council was concerned, the Public Control Committee was responsible for the administration of the Acts and the register was kept by, and the inspectors, served in the Public Control Department. This remained the case after the passing of the Children Act 1908, which extended control to one-child foster houses but, from 1 April 1917, the work was transferred to the Public Health Committee and Department. In the early nineteen-twenties, as an experiment, the work was undertaken by the Lewisham and Greenwich Borough Councils in their areas but, after consultation with the Metropolitan Boroughs Standing Joint Committee, it was decided not to extend or continue the delegation. By the order of the Secretary of State, however, the metropolitan boroughs were later charged with these functions as from 1 April 1933 and the transfer of responsibility was confirmed by the Public Health (London) Act, 1936.

Part IV of the London County Council (General Powers) Act 1915 required lying-in homes to be registered with the Council and gave the Council powers of inspection and regulation which were extended by Part IV of the London County Council (General Powers) Act 1921. The Nursing Homes Registration Act 1927 extended control to nursing homes, as well as lying-in homes. These functions were transferred to the London Boroughs on 1st April 1965.

The School Health Service developed from 1905. All schoolchildren were inspected by a medical officer at least four times during their school life. Medical and dental treatment was given at school treatment centres managed either directly or by voluntary committees financed by the Council. In addition many special clinics for children were held at London hospitals.

Following the coming into force of Section 13(1)(b) of the Education (Administrative Provisions) Act 1907, the Council in 1909 circularised all suitable London hospitals, clinics and so on, asking for co-operation in the treatment of elementary school children for ringworm, defects of vision, teeth, ears, and so on. In areas where the existing provision was obviously insufficient the Council set up its own centres.

In 1948 the poor law, after an existence of almost 350 years, was abolished. Those among the poor whose financial needs were not met by national insurance were given material help by the National Assistance Board. Local authorities were delegated some responsibilities by the Board, for example the provision of reception centres for the temporary accommodation of vagrants and persons without a settled way of life. In addition the National Assistance Act, 1948, required local authorities to make residential provision for the blind, disabled, elderly and infirm. However, under the Act these services were not to be provided free as a kind of official charity. Persons receiving help were to pay according to their means, even if their means were no more than a retirement pension. The Council's responsibilities in all this related therefore to the provision of establishments of various kinds. At the end of the Second World War there were public assistance institutions (formerly the old workhouses), casual wards (where tramps were put up for the night), three lodging houses, and, left over from wartime activities, the rest centres and rest homes. The Welfare Department was responsible for the organisation and management of the various residential homes, temporary homes and institutions for the assistance of the poor.

Rest centres were established during the Second World War to accommodate people made homeless by enemy bombing action until permanent accommodation could be found for them. After the war many families were in desperate need of shelter but accommodation was scarce. By March 1947 twelve rest centres were in operation to shelter families, including converted furniture stores, offices and staff quarters. By 1949 demand was such that it became necessary to restrict entry to mothers with children under sixteen; fathers, older children and childless couples were left to fend for themselves. In 1952 a night receiving unit was opened for families arriving in London at night from out of county who had made no arrangements for accommodation. In the morning they were urged to make other arrangements. In August 1953 the rest centres were discontinued. During their eight years of postwar operation they had taken in 5,700 families comprising 26,000 persons. The centres were replaced by half-way houses or short stay accommodation.

LCC , London County Council

The origins of the name "Saint Clement Danes" remains unclear; any connection with Danish peoples is uncertain although an account by John Stow suggests that "Harold [Harefoot], a Danish king and other Danes were buried here". Another tradition holds that it became the church of the Danish community in the ninth century who had been expelled from the City of London - the church stands at the entrance to the City at the end of Fleet Street. Between 1170 and 1312 it was in the care of the Knights Templar. The church survived the Great Fire but shortly afterwards it became so decayed that rebuilding became essential. A new church by Sir Christopher Wren was completed by 1682, with a steeple added by James Gibbs in 1719.

In 1941, extensive bomb damage gutted the church. It was restored between 1953 and 1958 by WAS Lloyd, paid for with contributions from the Royal Air Force and Allied Forces. It became the Central Church of the Royal Air Force. Inside the church there are many items relating to the air-force including Remembrance Books, colours and standards, and the names of 19,000 American airmen based here during the war, commemorated in a special shrine.

Saint Clements Danes is one of the churches referred to in the popular nursery-rhyme 'Oranges and Lemons'.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Harris Meyer Lazarus was born in Riga, Latvia, in 1878. He emigrated to England in June 1897, Anglicizing his name Hirsch to Harris. In 1898 he entered Jews' College, gaining semicha (rabbinical ordination) in 1910. Between 1904 and 1906 he taught in the East End at the Toynbee Hall Hebrew training classes, before being appointed minister of the Brondesbury synagogue, where he remained until 1938.

In 1914 he began to work at the bet din (court) as a dayan (judge), combining this with his congregational duties until 1945, when he retired from the synagogue and became a full-time dayan. Between 1946 and 1948 Lazarus acted as Deputy for the Chief Rabbi, or Acting Chief Rabbi, following the unexpected death of Joseph Hertz and until the installation of Israel Brodie.

Source of information: Sharman Kadish, "Lazarus, Harris Meyer (1878-1962)", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004 [http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/70155, accessed 3 March 2010].

Julian David Layton was born Loewenstein in 1904 to parents who had come to England from Frankfurt in 1893 with the family firm of Loewenstein, Hoskins. According to a Alan Leopold Berton, nephew of Julian Layton, and executor to his will, and one of the depositors to this collection, Leopold Loewenstein, Layton's father, changed his name to Layton in 1917 . According to Julian Layton's cv he changed his name by deed poll on 30 August 1921, his brother, Ralph, having already changed his in September 1914. Julian's mother was the granddaughter of Samson Raphael Hirsch.

Layton became a stockbroker and a member of the London Stock Exchange from 1930, a partner in the firm R Layton and Co from 1933. He spent several years working in banks and stock broking firms in Germany and France.

The relationship between the Rothschilds and the Loewensteins began in Frankfurt and continued in London. It proved to be important with regard to the rescue of Jews in Europe as evidenced in the saga of the 'Cedar Boys'- the project in which Layton helped rescue 28 German Jewish boys and girls, who resided at the Rothschild's estate.

Otto Schiff of the German Jewish Aid Committee, who had known Layton already for a long time, had requested that Layton go to Canberra to persuade the Australian government to accept many German Jewish refugees. Much later, after the outbreak of war, Layton, on account of his experience dealing with refugees and his management of the Kitchener Camp for Refugees at Richborough, Kent, was sent by the British Government as a Home Office Liaison officer to facilitate the repatriation of the internees. He also assisted in obtaining compensation for those who suffered a loss during the 'Dunera' scandal, in which 3 British soldiers were court-martialed for the brutal treatment and robbery of refugees.

Born 1907; educated at Eton College and Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst; joined Royal Horse Guards, Mar 1927, 2nd Lt, 1927; Lt 1930; Capt 1934; married Angela Claire Louise (née Dudley Ward), 1935; instructor on anti-gas and air defence measures, School of Military Engineering, Chatham, Dec 1937; General Staff Officer, Grade 3 (passive air defence) in department of Chief of Imperial General Staff, Dec 1938; General Staff Officer, Grade 2, chemical warfare section, British Expeditionary Force Headquarters, France, 1939-1940; joined Combined Operations, 1940; Lt Col 1941; commanded Special Service Brigade LAYFORCE, Feb-Aug 1941 and Middle East Commando, Aug 1941-Aug 1942; Brig, 1942; commanded Special Service Brigade, organizing and training all commandos in Britain, 1942-1943; Maj Gen 1943; Chief of Combined Operations, Oct 1943-1947; retired 1947; Governor and Commander-in-Chief, Malta, 1954-1959; Col Commandant, Special Air Service (SAS) and Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, 1960-1968. Died 1968.

John Bateman Lawson (1922-1997) MA, MB, Bchir, FRCS(Glasgow), FRCOG, has been a member of several committees of the College, including the Fellowship Selection Committee 1971-1976 and 1987-1989, Scientific Advisory and Pathology Committee 1972-1974, Postgraduate Committee 1978-1987, Examination Committee 1980-1987, Accreditation Committee 1981-1984, Council 1981-1983 and 1985-1989, Hospital Recognition Committee 1981-1987 and Higher Training Committee 1984-1987. He was Director of Postgraduate Studies 1981-1987 and Vice President from 1987-1989. He was also a Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in Ibadan, Nigeria, and was renowned for his work in African countries.

John Daniell Morell (1816-1891) was a physician with an interest in psychology and philosophy. He was also a writer of books on English language and grammar.

The time log was a method of evaluating and paying for the work of tailors and tailoresses, and was an attempt to deal with industrial unrest at the end of the 19th century. Detailed lists of times allocated for the making of designated garments were set out, for example dress and frock coats. In some parts of the country the log created more problems than it solved, but the system was adopted in London and log books were produced for every type of garment including alterations. Machine logs, deducting times for operations when sewing machines were used, were also given. The log was agreed to by various trade unions, including the Association of London Master Tailors, the Amalgamated Society of Tailors and the London Society of Tailors. It was considered and amended by a Conciliation Board and new editions produced. The board met to consider the log and matters affecting the salaries and working conditions of tailors and tailoresses.

The log covered gentleman's coats, waistcoats, trousers, breeches and livery, uniforms, ladieswear, naval, court and diplomatic dress. The London Log continues to exist as a method of payment for piecework and is negotiated annually between the Federation of Merchant Tailors and the National Union of Tailors and Garment Workers. It operates in a closely defined geographical area for all workers, and corresponds approximately with the W1 postcode area and Knightsbridge.

William Cooling Lawrence was President of the Association of London Master Tailors and Chair of the Joint Log Committee.

Thomas Lawrence was born on 25 May 1711 in Westminster, London, the second son of Captain Thomas Lawrence. He was educated first in Dublin, after his father was posted to Ireland in 1715. His mother died in 1724 and his father brought the family to live with his widowed sister in Southampton, who looked after the children. Lawrence continued his education at school in Southampton. In October 1727 he was admitted a commoner to Trinity College, Oxford. He graduated BA in 1730, MA in 1733, and then chose medicine as his profession. He moved to London and attended the anatomical lectures of the physician Frank Nicholls and the practice at St Thomas' Hospital. He graduated BM in 1736, and MD at Oxford in 1740.

Lawrence became anatomy reader in the University of Oxford upon Nicholls' resignation. He remained in this office for several years although he resided in London where he also delivered lectures in anatomy. He took the house previously occupied by Nicholls, in Lincoln's Inn Field. Lawrence became a candidate of the Royal College of Physicians in 1743, and a fellow the following year. He was also Goulstonian Lecturer at the College in 1744. In the same year he married Frances Chauncey, daughter of a physician at Derby, and moved to Essex Street, off the Strand. He was a censor at the College five times between 1746 and 1759, and became registrar in 1747, a position he held for almost 20 years until 1766. In 1748 he delivered the Harveian Oration.

In 1750 Lawrence stopped lecturing, in the face of the overwhelming success of the lectures of the Scottish surgeon William Hunter, and instead devoted himself entirely to general practice. In 1751 he delivered the Royal College of Physicians' Croonian Lectures, and was appointed Lumleian Lecturer in 1755. The following year he published Hydrops: Disputatio Medica, which took the form of an imaginary conversation between the great physicians Baldwin Hamey, Sir George Ent, and William Harvey. Lawrence was named an elect of the College in 1759, and was made consiliarius (adviser to the president) in 1760, 1761, and 1763. He wrote a biography of Harvey, which was prefixed to the College's publication on the works of Harvey, Guilielmi Harveii Opera Omnia a Collegio Medicorum (1766). Lawrence was awarded £100 for his services.

Lawrence became president of the College in 1767. He was elected upon the resignation of Sir William Browne, after the famous siege of the College. A group of licentiates had forced their way into a Comitia meeting in June 1767, in an attempt to obtain a dispensation from the College, causing Browne to dissolve the Comitia. The licentiates were protesting against the College policy that only graduates from Oxford and Cambridge could become fellows. Ultimately it was not until 1834 that the fellowship was thrown open to graduates of other universities, although in 1771 Lawrence did accept four such candidates for fellowship. Lawrence was made president in September 1767, and was re-elected every year for the following seven years.

Despite his elevated position within the College, he never really attained great success as a physician. It has been said of him that he was

`an elegant scholar, a good anatomist, and a sound practitioner; but in his endeavour to attain to eminence it was his misfortune to fail' (Munk's Roll, p.151).

His failure has been put down to personal traits, namely a vacant countenance and a convulsive tic. He was an intimate friend of the lexicographer Samuel Johnson, a fellow sufferer of the latter affliction, who considered him `"one of the best men whom I have known"' (ibid, p.152). Johnson had a very high opinion of his friend, which was a testimony to the latter's prowess as a scholar. Lawrence often submitted his Latin for Johnson's correction, and it is believed that Johnson did the same to him. Johnson was also one of Lawrence's patients. Much about their relationship is discernible through Johnson's letters to Lawrence.

Lawrence's wife died in 1780 and he never really recovered from the bereavement. He and his wife had had six sons and three daughters. Soon after his wife's death he lost his hearing. In 1780 he had privately printed his biography of his friend and patron Frank Nicholls. In 1782 Lawrence was struck with paralysis. He resigned from his position as elect at the Royal College of Physicians, and retired with his family to Canterbury. In 1783 he began to suffer from angina pectoris. He died on 6 June 1783, at the age of 72. He was buried in the church of St Margaret, Canterbury. His two surviving children erected a memorial tablet in Canterbury Cathedral.

Publications:
Oratio Harvaeana (London, 1748)
Hydrops: Disputatio Medica (London, 1756)
Praelectiones Medicae Duodecim de Calvariae et Capitis Morbis (Croonian Lectures) (London, 1757)
De Natura Musculorum Praelectiones Tres in Theatro Collegii Medicorum Londinensium Habitae (London, 1759)
Guilielmi Harveii Opera Omnia a Collegio Medicorum, Mark Akenside (ed.) (London, 1766) collected edition of Harvey's works, with prefixed biography by Thomas Lawrence
Franci Nichollsii, MD, Vita, cum Conjecturis Eiusdem de Natura et Usu Partium Humani Corporis Similarium (London, 1780)

Born, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, 1783; educated, private school at Gloucester; apprenticed to John Abernethy, 1799; Demonstrator of Anatomy, St Bartholomew's Hospital, 1801-1813; Member, 1805, Fellow, 1813, Royal College of Surgeons of England; Assistant Surgeon, St Bartholomew's Hospital, 1813; Surgeon, London Infirmary for Diseases of the Eye, 1814; Surgeon, Royal Hospitals of Bridewell and Bethlehem, 1815; Surgeon, St Bartholomew's Hospital, 1824-1865; Professor of Anatomy and Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1815; Lecturer on Surgery, St Bartholomew's Hospital, 1829-1862; President, Medical and Chirurgical Society, 1831; Member of the Council, 1828, Examiner, 1840-1867, President 1846 and 1855, Royal College of Surgeons of England; Hunterian Orator, 1834, 1846; Surgeon Extraordinary; Sergeant-Surgeons to Queen Victoria, 1857; created baronet, 1867; died, London, 1867.
Publications include: Description of the Mouth, Nose, Larynx, and Pharynx (1809); A treatise on ruptures, containing an anatomical description of each species second edition (London, J Callow, 1810); An Introduction to Comparative Anatomy and Physiology, being the two introductory lectures delivered at the Royal College of Surgeons (London, 1816); Lectures on Physiology, Zoology, and the Natural History of Man (London, 1819); A Short System of Comparative Anatomy, translated from the German ... by William Lawrence Johann Friedrich Blumenbach (W Simpkin & R Marshall, London, 1827); Lectures on Surgery, medical and operative, as delivered in the theatre of St. Bartholomew's Hospital (F C Westley, London, [1830?]);A treatise on the venereal diseases of the eye (London, 1830); A treatise on the Diseases of the Eye (London, 1833); The Hunterian Oration delivered at the Royal College of Surgeons...1834 (J Churchill, London, 1834); The Hunterian Oration, delivered at the Royal College of Surgeons...1846 (London, 1846); Lectures on Surgery delivered in St Bartholomew's Hospital (J Churchill, London, 1863).

Sir Edwin Durning-Lawrence was born in London in February 1837, the youngest son of late William Lawrence, Alderman, and brother of politician Sir William Lawrence. He was educated at University College School, followed by University College London where he obtained a BA (1861) and LLB with honours. He married Edith Jane Durning Smith in 1874, the youngest daughter and co-heiress of politician John Benjamin Smith.
During 1867, Durning Lawrence was called to Middle Temple and also was a member of the Metropolitan Board of Works for a short time, as well as a Lieutenant for the City of London and a Justice of the Peace in Berkshire. After unsuccesfully contesting the seats of East Berkshire (1865), Haggerston (1866) and Burnley (1892), Durning-Lawrence was finally elected as Liberal Unionist member of Parliament for Truro in 1895; a position he held until 1906. However, Durning-Lawrence's main passion was the study of literature, especially the field of Bacon/ Shakespeare controversy, and he wrote the works 'Bacon is Shakespeare' (1910) and 'The Shakespeare Myth' (1912), as well as lecturing widely on the subject and dedicating time and money to creating a library to back up his Baconian theories. Sir Edwin Durning-Lawrence died in April 1914

Doctor Mildred Burgess trained at the London School of Medicine for Women, graduating MD in 1905. She held various medical positions including Assistant School Medical Officer for the London County Council and Medical Officer for two London County Council institutions: Stockwell Training College and Ponton Road Place of Detention. She was also the Medical Officer for Cornwall Nursery Hostel and Brixton and Herne Hill Creche and a House Surgeon at the Royal Free Hospital. She gave lectures on nursing and child health and wrote on the subject, including her book "The care of Infants and Young Children in Health", 1913. Her interest in the training of nurses is evidenced by a letter to the British Journal of Medicine, 19 February 1916, in which she calls for better theoretical training before nurses entered wards.

William Ironside (fl 1953-1957) was a friend of the Labour politician Frederick Pethick-Lawrence.

Frederick Pethick-Lawrence (1867-1954) was a politician active in the campaign for women's suffrage. He was educated at Eton College, and at Trinity College, Cambridge where he studied mathematics and natural sciences. He later studied law and was called to the bar in 1899. After marriage to Emmeline Pethick in 1901 he appended her maiden name to his own surname Lawrence. He was a leading member of the Women's Social and Political Union (WSPU) from 1907-1912, founded and edited the periodical Votes for Women alongside his wife, and was imprisoned and suffered forcible feeding for the women's suffrage cause in 1912. Originally a Liberal Unionist candidate (for North Lambeth in 1901), Pethick-Lawrence had a lifelong involvement in the Labour Party, defeating Winston Churchill to become Labour Member of Parliament (MP) for West Leicester (1923-1931) and later working as MP for Edinburgh East and for the Treasury. He was a leading Labour spokesman on economics. A supporter of Indian self-government, he became Secretary of State for India, with a seat in the House of Lords in 1945. After his wife's death in 1954 he married Helen McCombie (née Millar) in 1957, who had also been a militant suffragette. He died in 1961.