Showing 15888 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving
Bedford College

The original management structure of Bedford College was decided upon during 1849 by several provisional committees set up for the purpose, and comprised a Board, a Council with executive powers, a Ladies Committee and a Professors Committee. The College existed as a corporate body from 24 Sep 1849, when the last meeting of the provisional General Committee took place, though the Board never formally adopted the draft constitution. During the years 1863 to 1868, no legal charter for Bedford College existed, and though several drafts were made, the various sections of the College management failed to agree on a final version.

In 1868, Bedford College, on the insistence of the Reid Trustees, came under the control of a Committee of Management that framed a new Constitution, which came into effect in 1869. The College was incorporated as an Association under the Board of Trade, with Articles of Association setting out a new management structure consisting of a body of Members termed 'The College', which replaced The Board, and a new Council elected from amongst the Members of The College. The Articles also provided for a Board of Studies, formed of the Professors of Bedford College, and a Council of Lady Visitors. The Memorandum of Association set out the objects of the College, namely to provide a liberal education for young ladies, and also provided that no person would be ineligible to any office on religious grounds.

In 1891, two Extraordinary Meetings of The College agreed upon changes in the by-laws order to increase the Council from ten to twenty members and raise the membership of The College to two hundred. In 1895 the by-laws were again revised, this time allowing for the greater representation of the Staff in the management of Bedford College, and the creation of a Board of Education possessing wide advisory powers in educational matters. The Articles of Association and the by-laws were further altered in 1902, to allow the Principal and Staff representatives the position of assessors on the Council.

In 1907 it was decided to apply to the Privy Council for a Royal Charter to take the place of the Deed of Incorporation under the Board of Trade. A draft Charter and Statutes was drawn up, providing for a system of management that was the same in outline as that already existing: the Members of The College became the Governors, the composition of the Council was altered to include representatives of the University of London, the London County Council, and the teaching Staff, an Academic Board was instituted, and the title 'Bedford College for Women, University of London' was formally established. The draft was approved by the Council and Staff, and was adopted by a Special Meeting of The College in Oct 1908. Royal Assent for this new chartered body was received in Jan 1909.

Various amendments were made to the charter in the years leading up to 1985, most notably the removal of 'for Women' from the name of the College in 1952, and alterations to allow for the admittance of men in 1965.

Due to financial and accommodation pressures, the decision was made in 1982 to merge with Royal Holloway College at Egham, and the Bedford College Charter was revoked on 1 Aug 1985.

The early management structure of Bedford College was decided upon in 1849 by several provisional committees set up for the purpose, and, despite the original wish of Mrs Reid and her friends to keep the management of the College in the hands of women, relegated the executive authority over the propriety and comfort of the pupils to the four women who sat on the Council. Owing to the lack of Committee experience of the women involved in the venture, made clear in the provisional stages of the project, a decision was made that the Ladies Committee should retain no executive function, but merely be an advisory body.

The Ladies Committee was active as an advisory force, giving the Council its opinion on developments in the College and educational questions, but it faced a constant struggle to maintain adequate Committee procedures, only drawing up the requested by-laws in 1850-1851. These provided for the title of President for the Chairman of the Committee, but the office of Chair was not appointed systematically, and the meetings were often disorderly. Revised by-laws and Rules were drawn up in 1855, in which systems for electing representatives to the Council were outlined. The Committee also undertook yearly appointment of a salaried Lady Resident who was responsible for fees, household supervision and discipline in the College, until tenure of the office became permanent in 1854.

A group of Lady Visitors was formed from the original members of the Ladies Committee (which was often known as the 'Committee of Lady Visitors'), mainly for the purpose of chaperonage and discipline of the young ladies attending lectures. At a meeting of the provisional Ladies Committee in Aug 1849, rules for the conduct of students were drawn up, as was a timetable of supervision. No Professor's wife was permitted to be a Lady Visitor, and no Professor could reprimand a pupil except in the presence of a Lady Visitor. Twenty-one Lady Visitors were appointed in Oct 1849, though the draft constitution allowed for a maximum of forty, and numbers soon increased to thirty-nine. A locked book was kept for the Lady Visitors to enter remarks and suggestions. As the years went on, numbers became more and more difficult to maintain due to the expenditure of time required from the role. Despite the introduction of auxiliaries and chaperonage fees, numbers continued to decline until chaperonage was dispensed with in 1893.

Already on the wane due to the emergence of the Reid Trustees and the prominence of the ladies on the Council, the powers of the Ladies Committee were further reduced upon the Incorporation of the College in 1869, when it failed to be given an important place in the constitution and had its numbers limited to 14. The last meeting was held in April 1893, though it had ceased to exert any real power for the preceding twenty-four years.

In 1860, Mrs Reid gave £2,000 to her friends Elizabeth Ann Bostock, Jane Martineau and Eleanor Elizabeth Smith, to purchase the lease of 48 Bedford Square as a boarding house for pupils of Bedford College, administering the money as Managers of the Residence. There was no formal trust agreement, even following Jane Martineau's death in 1882, until 1885, when the relevant documentation was created and a further three women became Trustees (Ethel Glazebrook, Sophia Margaretta Pilcher and Madeline Shaw Lefevre).

The three Managers agreed to rent part of Number 48 to the College, retaining the remainder of the rooms for the boarding house. This meant that although in close proximity, the management of the College and the Residence were entirely separate. The Managers were directly responsible for everything to do with the boarders, including discipline and propriety. A Lady Superintendent was employed to watch over the young women staying there. On Mrs Reid's death in 1866, the lease of 47 Bedford Square also became the property of the Managers (the three women were also Reid Trustees), giving them a great deal of say in the future of the College, and allowing them to demand a new Constitution (created by a Committee of Management in 1868-1869).

In 1874, due to serious overcrowding and lack of facilities at Bedford Square, the Managers of the Residence leased 8 and 9 York Place, to which Bedford College transferred in the same year, and used the income from the capital of the Trust to help in the maintenance of various buildings and the lease of further accommodation in the surrounding area. Buildings leased included 64, 65 and 66 East Street in 1886, directly behind the College, and work was undertaken to build the Shaen Wing in 1889. Once again, as with the houses at Bedford Square, the Managers leased the College part of all the new premises.

Despite their opposition to the merging of the College and the Residence, which they saw as undermining the independence of the latter, the Managers agreed in 1893 to the merging of the offices of Lady Resident (responsible for the College) and Lady Superintendent (responsible for the Residence) in the person of a Lady Principal. The successful candidate, Miss Emily Penrose, was therefore to report to both the College and the Managers separately, a complicated situation which was remedied by an offer by the Managers in 1894 to hand over to the College Council entire responsibility for the management of the Residence, together with the leases of 8 and 9 York Place and the East Street Residences. The offer was accepted.

The Managers of the Residence retained the capital of Mrs Reid's Residence Trust, together with savings accumulated. The income was used for various maintenance projects, such as the acquisition of 7 York Place, and the possible redemption of the leases of York Place and East Street. In 1927 the sole surviving Manager, Mrs Pilcher, handed over the Trust to the College.

The power to create Standing and Special Committees was given to the Council of Bedford College when the Articles of Association were drawn up in 1869. This power remained with the Council following the Incorporation by Royal Charter in 1909, with the Chairman of Council, the Honorary Treasurer, the Vice-Chairman, the Principal and the Vice-Principal all becoming ex officio members of every Committee. All appointments to Committees were made annually by the Council at its first meeting after the AGM, with the term of office usually being three years. All Committees were required to appoint a Chairman, and the Secretary of the Council also acted as Secretary to all its Committees.

Standing Committees comprise:

The Finance Committee, formed by the Council in 1889, with the Honorary Treasurer being automatically created its Chair after administrative reforms in 1899. The Charter of 1909 allowed for its four members to be elected by the Council, though revisions to the by-laws in 1972, 1977, 1979 and 1983 meant it became much larger and made up of the ex officio members plus the Deans of the Faculties, the President and Vice-President of the Union Society, and 8-10 Governors. The Committee is responsible for reporting to the Council on all financial affairs of the College.
The Policy and Estimates Committee, instituted by the Council in 1972, and revoked in 1979. It consisted of the Chairman of the Council, the Honorary Treasurer, the Principal, the Deans of the Faculties, 2 lay members of the Council, and 4 members elected by the Academic Board. Its role was to advise the Council on development policy in its inter-related academic, physical and financial aspects, and to exercise scrutiny over quinquennial and annual estimates of expenditure. Reports were sent to the Council and the Academic Board.
Standing Committee on Laboratory Expenditure.
The Committee of Education, constituted by the Committee of Management in 1868, and intended to address all educational questions. The original members were Pattison, Bostock, Bryce and Eleanor Smith, and one of their number met with all students entering the College to advise them in their choice of subjects. The Committee had the main responsibility for the administration of educational matters, such as timetables and examinations. (A Sub-Committee was formed in 1882 for the purpose of advising students on courses of study, but seems to have only functioned at the beginning of term.) In 1881 the Council passed a resolution allowing Professors to elect three of their number onto the Committee of Education, with Staff representation increasing to six in 1892. The Committee was replaced by the Board of Education in 1896. The Board consisted of three ex officio members (Chairman and Honorary Secretary of the Council, and the Principal) and five representatives each from the Council and the teaching staff. This incarnation possessed wide advisory powers in educational matters, including staff appointments. In the 1909 Royal Charter of Incorporation the Board of Education was replaced by the Academic Board.
Physical Education Committee.
In 1871 the Professors were requested by the Council to form themselves into Board of Studies, though there appear to have been no regular meetings for ten years. At their occasional meetings they gave general advice on educational matters, and in 1881 were allowed by the Council to elect three representatives to the Education Committee. At the meeting to elect these representatives, the staff also resolved to meet twice a term and appointed a Chairman and Secretary. From then on the Staff Meeting met regularly, at least once a term, with duties including the nomination of students for scholarships and other minor educational matters referred to it by the Council. The membership of the Staff Meeting was officially laid down in 1882, and was initially confined to Professors, though Assistant staff were invited to attend and take part. In the by-laws of 1902, membership was widened to include Lecturers, Assistant Lecturers, and the Principal. By 1892, the representation of the Staff Meeting on the Education Committee had increased to six. Following agitation by the Staff Meeting for official representation in the government of Bedford College, the new Board of Education was set up in 1896, the composition of which included five members of the staff. The duties of the Staff Meeting were taken over by the Academic Board in 1909.
The Loan Fund Committee for the Training of Teachers came into being following the inauguration at Bedford College of the Department for Professional Training of Teachers. A Loan Fund was set up for students in the Department in 1892, though this was extended to all students of the College in 1896 (see Principal's Loan Fund).

Building Committees were founded on an ad hoc basis in response to a particular need until 1978. Therefore there are Committees relating to different building projects undertaken by the College, such as the Premises Committee, 1908-1915, which oversaw the purchase and alteration of the Regent's Park site and worked hand-in-hand with the Building Fund Committee that raised funds for the venture. The Regent's Park site was subject to constant extension and building work, especially following severe bombing in World War Two, and several Committees were set up to control planning, expenditure, and contracts. The House Committee, created in 1876, was a different matter. Its role was to superintend the maintenance of the College premises and residences, regulate the housekeeping expenses and submit reports to the Council and Finance Committee every term. It consisted of five Governors appointed by the Council, one member of the teaching staff nominated annually by the Academic Board, and the Principal, who was to act as ex officio Secretary. In 1978 overall responsibility for building and maintenance was put into the hands of the Estates Management Committee, which took on domestic concerns as well as building and maintenance. It consisted of the ex officio Committee members, three Councillors, three teaching staff, one member of the Space Committee, two undergraduate students appointed by the Bedford College Union Society, one post-graduate student, and the Wardens of the Halls of Residence. Its brief was to monitor negotiations for the purchase, sale, lease or planning permission of sites and premises; to supervise the planning, costing, drawing up of contracts and progress of building, improvement and maintenance work; to control and supervise the management and routine maintenance of College's grounds, premises and household services; to present accounts and estimates for building work; to report expenditure on maintenance of the household, Refectory, Halls of Residence, sports facilities and parking; and present recommendations for fees and charges.

Special Committees were formed as required, mainly to deal with constitutional matters. For example, the Acland Committee, formed in 1899 and chaired by the Rt Hon Arthur Herbert Dyke Acland, was appointed 'to consider steps for the setting of the College on a sound financial basis' and 'to recommend to the Council any changes in the constitution or organisation of the College...' Its report resulted in the increase of College revenue and the increased representation of the staff in the government of the College. Other Special Committees have been set up to scrutinise the implications of the admission of men to Bedford College, and the possibility of merging with various other colleges of the University of London, including Westfield, King's College, and Royal Holloway. Joint Planning Committees of Bedford College and Royal Holloway College oversaw the mechanics of the merger in 1982-1985.

Bedford College

Photographs collected throughout the history of Bedford College.

Gay Sweatshop was formed in London in 1975 and had its roots in the lunchtime theatre club "Ambience" held at the Almost Free theatre. Inter-Action, a co-operative community arts resource centre, staged a popular Women's season at the Almost Free theatre in 1974 and, inspired by their success, advertised for gay actors to take part in a gay theatre season planned for autumn 1974. The aim was to encourage gay people to produce a season of gay plays and eventually form a company. The season was postponed until early 1975 and after holding meetings throughout the autumn of 1974, a small group of founder members emerged. These included Drew Griffiths, Alan Pope, Roger Baker, Alan Wakeman, Laurence Collinson, John Roman Baker, Ed Berman, Gerald Chapman, Philip Osment, Suresa Galbraith and Norman Coates. The intention of the group was to counteract the prevailing conception in mainstream theatre of what homosexuals were like, therefore providing a more realistic image for the public. The season was called "Homosexual Acts" and included three plays, all of which were written and directed by homosexuals. "Homosexual Acts" was originally scheduled to last until April but was extended to June and additional plays were requested.

By 1975 the Campaign for Homosexual Equality (CHE) had local groups established in most towns. They invited Gay Sweatshop to perform at the annual conference in Sheffield. Initially this was problematic as Gay Sweatshop had no resources to put on a touring production. However, an Arts Council grant allowed them to put together "Mister X", jointly written by the group. The play was based on a combination of personal experiences and a book called "With Downcast Gays: Aspects of Homosexual Self-Oppression", written by Andrew Hodges and David Hutter. "Mister X" was a huge success at Sheffield and so the decision was made to take it on tour. News of the tour spread quickly throughout the gay communities and the tour was seen by many whom would not have usually had the courage to attend a gay play.

In 1976 Gay Sweatshop put on a lunchtime season at the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA) running from February through to July. Productions included "Mister X", "Any Woman Can" by Jill Posener, "Randy Robinson's Unsuitable Relationship" by Andrew Davies, Ian Brown's play "The Fork", "Stone" by Edward Bond and "Indiscreet", a follow up to "Mister X" written by Roger Baker and Drew Griffiths. The ICA season was a turning point for Gay Sweatshop. They received an Arts Council grant for the first half of the year, "Mister X" broke box office records for lunchtime theatre and women were participating in productions for the first time. The company had invited the women because they felt that lesbian actors, directors and writers were needed to provide a more complete picture of homosexuality. In November 1976 the company took "Mister X" and "Any Woman Can" on tour to Dublin. Although there was considerable opposition the Irish Gay Rights Movement welcomed the productions and the company returned in January 1977 to repeat the plays. During the Christmas of 1976 the company produced "Jingleballs", a gay pantomime starring both lesbians and gay men. The pantomime was successful but the Irish tour had revealed fundamental differences in how the men and women viewed the company. In 1977 two artistically separate companies were formed under the umbrella organisation of Gay Sweatshop. At the same time the company realised the need for a full-time administrator and appointed David Thompson. In April 1977 the company obtained an annual programme award of £15,000, which although it had to be re-applied for every year was enough to guarantee a year's worth of productions.

As separate companies both went on to produce critically acclaimed plays. The women produced "Care and Control", a piece focusing on child custody. This theme had been raised at many of the post performance discussions. The men produced "As Time Goes By", a three-part production set in 1896 after the Oscar Wilde trial, in Berlin in the 1930s and in 1969 when Gay liberation was born. The play was a collaborative effort between Noel Greig and Drew Griffiths.

In early 1978 the first Gay Times festival was held at the Drill Hall. This was based on the three sections of "As Time Goes By" and included workshops, discussion groups and performances. It was followed by a tour of "As Time Goes By" that concluded with a visit to Holland. It was here that the men's touring company split up following tension within the group. Meanwhile the women's group produced "What the Hell is she doing here?" that toured until the end of July. During the summer of 1978 a new nucleus of people emerged including Angela Stewart Park, Stephanie Pugsley, Sharon Nassauer, Sandra Lester, Noel Greig, Philip Timmins, John Hoyland and Jill Posener. They devised a mixed show called "Iceberg". This focussed on the lives of gay men and women in a repressive society and sought to show that they were central to any kind of anti-fascist struggle. The production went on tour to Queen's University in Belfast where a rally was arranged against the play by the Democratic Unionist party.

During 1979 and 1980 a number of productions were put on. The men's company produced "The Dear Love of Comrades" in March 1979 while the women produced "I like me like this", a radical lesbian musical written by Angela Stewart Park and Sharon Nassauer. 1980 saw another mixed production written by Angela Stewart Park and Noel Greig. The play, "Blood Green" is set in the future and deals with issues of genetic engineering, transexualism, sado-masochism and violence against women.

In 1980 the Arts Council announced the suspension of their programme grants. This meant that Gay Sweatshop would have to apply for individual project grants for specific productions. The company had to give up their full-time administrator and recently acquired office and rehearsal space. Although they tried to continue it became too much of a burden for the two remaining directors, Noel Greig and Philip Timmins, and the administrator, Gean Wilton, and at the end of March 1981 Gay Sweatshop was closed as a company.

Gay Sweatshop was revived in 1983 as a mixed company rather than the two artistically separate companies that had existed since 1977. Noel Greig, inspired by the issue of Greenham Common, wrote "Poppies" that put forward a response to the nuclear threat and militarism from a radical gay male perspective. He applied for project funding from the Arts Council and with the help of Martin Humphries as administrator, began planning the tour from a room in his house. The play toured from November to December. In 1984 a new management committee was formed consisting of Noel Greig, Martin Humphries, Philip Timmins, Kate Owen and Philip Osment. They began planning a 10th anniversary festival for 1985. At the same time Martin Humphries and Noel Greig applied to the Greater London Council for a grant to supplement their touring subsidy from the Arts Council. Gay Sweatshop eventually received a grant in 1985 that allowed them to put on a second production of "Poppies" with the tour running from March to May.

By the 1980s the Gay movement had become somewhat apathetic. In part this was due to the belief held by some that the ideals that had originally inspired the movement had become redundant and old-fashioned. There was also a feeling of pessimism about the future due to the growing paranoia about AIDS. At the same time they realised that Gay Sweatshop was very much an all-white group. The festival scheduled for the 10th anniversary of the company provided them with an opportunity to respond to the new challenges and serve as a platform for a wide range of work including; Gay teachers, problems facing young gays and lesbians, lesbian custody, experiences and black lesbians and the issue of AIDS. In response to the success of "Gay Sweatshop x 10" the Greater London Council awarded the company an annual grant that allowed them to get a full-time administrator and office space. The following year Gay Sweatshop was finally awarded charitable status in recognition of its educational work.

"Compromised Immunity" by Andy Kirby developed from the festival and was first staged in 1986 with external funding. Gay Sweatshop took the production on tour from April to June 1987. The company decided to stage another festival in 1987, this one called "Gay Sweatshop x 12". Nine plays were given staged rehearsed readings, including "This Island's Mine" by Philip Osment and "Twice Over" by Jackie Kay. "This Island's Mine" was initially performed in February and then on tour from March until April. "Twice Over" was seen as a breakthrough play for Gay Sweatshop as it was the first play by a black author. The Arts Council awarded a grant and the play was on tour from October to November 1988.

The late 1980s saw a new management group emerge after the departures of Philip Timmins in 1986, Martin Humphries and Noel Greig in 1987 and Kate Owen and Philip Osment in 1988. In 1990 Bryony Lavery was commissioned to write "Kitchen Matters", a play about theatre and the problems of putting on a show with project funding. The Greater London Arts was at this point giving Gay Sweatshop an annual grant of £21000 although the amount had been fixed for three years.

November 1990 saw the company struggling for funds once again. The Arts Council had turned down their application for a grant and it looked likely that the company would have to close. However, in 1991 Gay Sweatshop was promised revenue funding providing that there was both a male and female director. Lois Weaver and James Neale -Kennerley were appointed. 1992 saw productions of "Drag Act" by Claire Dowie, "Jack" by David Greenham and "Entering Queens" by Phyllis Nagy. During the season of 1993/4 the company produced two plays, "Stupid Cupid" by Phil Willmott and a company devised piece called "In your Face". The season 1994/5 again saw the company putting on two plays. The first was a piece adapted by Malcolm Sutherland called "F***king Martin" and the second, "Lust and Comfort", another company devised piece. In 1995 Stella Duffy's play "The Hand" was performed. During the early 1990s most of the company's funding was being spent on touring productions.

Gay Sweatshop eventually collapsed in 1997. The Arts Council withdrew all its funding and the company failed to attract any major sponsorship because of the controversial nature of the productions.

Born 1840; educated St Paul's School, London; career in the Board of Trade, 1856-1901, ending as Assistant Secretary to the Finance Department; contributor to the Academy, the Magazine of Art, and the Saturday Review; published volumes of poetry; died 1901.

Publications: preface to The life and works of Joseph Wright (Bemrose and Sons, London, 1885) by William Bemrose; preface to A concise history of painting (1888) by Mrs Charles Heaton; introduction to Exhibition of drawings in water colour by A W Hunt (London, 1897); introduction to Exhibition of drawings and studies by Sir Edward Burne-Jones (London, 1899); introduction to Exhibition illustrative of the French revival of etching (London, 1891); introduction to Catalogue of coloured Chinese porcelain exhibited in 1896 (London, 1896); introduction to Catalogue of Blue and White Oriental porcelain exhibited in 1895 (London, 1895); introduction to Historical catalogue of the collection of water colour drawings by deceased artists (Manchester, 1894); A dream of idleness and other poems (London, 1865); A few words about Hogarth; A history and description of Chinese porcelain (Cassell and Co, London, 1901); A question of honour (London, 1868); The British contemporary artists (Heinemann, London and New York, 1899); Corn and poppies (E. Matthews, London, 1890); In the National Gallery (A.D. Innes and Co, London, 1895); Joseph Mallord William Taylor (Sampson Low and Co, London, 1929); Life of Leigh-Hunt (London, 1893); Masterpieces of English art (London, 1869); Nonsense rhymes (R Brimley Johnson, London, [1902]); Pasiteles the Elder, and other poems (R. Brimley Johnson, London, 1901); Pictures by Sir C Eastlake (London, [1875]); Pictures by W Etty (London, [1874]); Pictures of Sir Edwin Landseer (London, [1877]); Sir Edward J Poynter, President of the Royal Academy, his life and work (J.S. Virtue and Co, London, [1897]); The Christ upon the hill: a ballad (Smith, Elder and Co, London, 1895); The earlier English water colour painters (Seeley and Co, London, 1890); The life and works of Sir John Tenniel (1901); The National Gallery: the Italian Pre-raphaelites (Cassell and Co, London, 1887); The studies of Sir Edwin Landseer (London, 1877); The Turner Gallery (London, [1878]); The works of J.H. Foley (London, [1875]); The works of Sir Edwin Landseer (London, 1879); Turner: a sketch of his life and works (Sampson, Low, Marston, Searle and Rivington, London, 1882); Verses: to Our Sovereign Lady Queen Victoria, June 22, 1897 (London, 1897).

Born 1886; educated Newnham College, Cambridge; Employment Department of the Ministry of Labour, 1913-1917; Director of Studies and Lecturer on Economics at Newnham College, Cambridge, 1917-1919; Lecturer on Economics, Armstrong College, University of Durham, 1919-1929; Principal of Bedford College, University of London, 1930-1951; OBE, 1948; CBE, 1951; retired 1951; Fellow of Bedford College, 1952; Associate of Newnham College; died 1959.

Publications: On the life of Dame Margaret Tuke, D.B.E. The Fawcett Lecture, 1952-53 (Bedford College, London, [1953]).

Born 1896; educated Kent County School for Girls, Tunbridge Wells; attended Bedford College, University of London, 1915-1917 and 1920-1922, gaining BSc Hons Zoology and Geology; Research scholar in Zoology, Bedford College, 1922-1923; Pilcher Research Laboratory, Bedford College, 1923; Research Studentship, Bedford College, 1927-1928; Amy Lady Tate Scholarship, Bedford College, 1928-1929; Marine Biology Laboratory, Plymouth, 1937-[1961]; gained DSc in Zoology, 1939; Leverhulme Research Fellowship, Bedford College, 1953-1955; died 1961.

Anthony Verrier was a journalist, working as special correspondent with the Observer, the Economist and the New Statesman. By 1968 he was freelance 'with a retainer for the Sunday Times'. In the 1990s he was Director of the MA in International Peacekeeping at the Human Rights Centre at the University of Essex.

Publications:An Army for the sixties: a study in national policy, contract and obligation (Secker and Warburg, London, 1966);The bomber offensive (Batsford, London, 1968); editor of Agents of Empire: Anglo-Zionist intelligence operations, 1915-1919 (Brassey's, London, 1995); Francis Youghusband and the great game (Cape, London, 1991); Assassination in Algiers: Churchill, Roosevelt and the murder of Admiral Darlan (Macmillan, London, 1991); The road to Zimbabwe, 1890-1980 (Cape, London, 1986); Through the looking glass: British foreign policy in an age of illusions (Cape, London, 1983); International peacekeeping: United Nations forces in a troubled world (Penguin, Harmondsworth, 1981).

Born 1899; educated Palmer's School, Grays, Essex and Bedford College, University of London; gained BA, 1920, MSc, 1924, and DSc, 1927; Assistant in Geology, Queen's University, Belfast, 1921-1926; Demonstrator in Geology, Bedford College, University of London. 1927-1931; Lecturer in Petrology, Bedford College, University of London, 1931-1933; Lecturer in Petrology, Durham University, 1933-1943; married Professor Arthur Holmes, 1939; Research Fellow, University of Edinburgh, 1943-1962; Leverhulme Fellowship to investigate the geology of the Slieve Gullion volcano, 1946-1948; Lyell Medallist, Geological Society, London, 1960; Honorary Research Fellow, Bedford College, University of London, 1962-[1985]; died 1985.

Publications: revision of Holmes principles of Physical Geography (English Language Book Society, London, 1978).

Dorothy Reich (née Knight) was born on the 6th August 1921, the daughter of a civil servant. She entered Bedford College in 1941 to study German with French and graduated with a first class honours degree in German in 1944. She was awarded a University Scholarship to do postgraduate work in German but had to spend 2 years doing National Service with the ATS Intelligence. On her release she returned to Bedford College to undertake her MA thesis on 'Bodmer's contribution to the knowledge and appreciation of Medieval Literature'. Having completed her MA in 1949 Reich spent a year as a teaching assistant in the German Department at Glasgow University before returning to London to take up the position of Assistant Lecturer at King's College in October 1950. While working Reich began to study part time for a PhD under the supervision of Professor Edna Purdie (PP/4). In 1953 she became an Assistant Lecturer at Bedford College and was promoted to the position of Lecturer in 1955. In 1959 she married Thomas Henry Reich. All that is known about her after this date is that she edited the 6th edition of 'A History of German Literature' in 1970. Publications: editor of 'Laokoon' by Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (Oxford University Press, London, 1965); editor of sixth edition of 'A history of German literature' (Blackwood, London, 1970).

Born 1872; educated Dulwich High School, Kent, and Bedford and Royal Holloway Colleges, London, gaining a BSc in Physics, 1898; elected one of first female members of Linnean Society, 1905, and was one of the first women to read a paper before the Society, Nov 1905; scientific papers published in The Annals of Botany and The New Phytologist, 1905-1914; Research Student at University College, 1906, and Imperial College, 1910, University of London; founded research laboratory at Bedford College, University of London, 1909; work on the agglutination of dysentery bacteria and preparation of serum, University of Liverpool, 1914-1919; work on the separation and identification of plant pathogenic bacteria, Imperial College, University of London, 1919-1920; set up Botanical Research Fund for postgraduate students and gave equipment to Royal Holloway Botanical Department; died 1947.

Born 1885; educated privately, Royal Holloway College, 1904, and University of London, graduating in 1907; Fellowship to Bryn Mawr College, Pennsylvania, USA, 1908-1909; Assistant Mistress in History, Cheltenham Ladies College, Gloucestershire, 1909-1912; Assistant Lecturer, 1912-1919, and Staff Lecturer, 1919-1921, in History, Royal Holloway College, University of London; Pfeiffer Research Fellow, 1921-1926, and Lecturer in History, 1926-1929, Girton College, Cambridge University; Lecturer in History, Cambridge University, 1930-1948; Director of Studies in History and Law, and Vice-Mistress, Cambridge University, 1944-1948; elected to the British Academy, 1945; Zemurray Radcliffe Professor of History, Harvard University, Massachusetts, USA, 1948-1954; President, International Commission for the History of Assemblies of Estates, 1949-1960; CBE, 1947; retired 1954; Vice-President Selden Society, 1962-1965; Vice President, 1958, and Honorary Vice-President, 1963-1968, Royal Historical Society; Fellow of the Medieval Academy of Arts and Sciences; Honorary Fellow, Somerville College, Oxford University, 1964; active member of the Cambridge Labour Party and Trades Council; died 1968.

Publications: A guide for novel readers (Y.W.C.A., London, 1920); Album Helen Maud Cam (Publications universitaires de Louvain, Louvain, 1960); England before Elizabeth (Hutchinson's University Library, London, 1950); Historical novels (Routledge and Kegan Paul, London, 1961); Law as it looks to a historian: Founders' Memorial Lecture, Girton College, 18 February, 1956 (W Heffer and Sons, Cambridge, 1956); Law-finders and law-makers in medieval England: collected studies in legal and constitutional history (Merlin Press, London, 1962); Liberties and communities in Medieval England: collected studies in local administration and topography (University Press, Cambridge, 1944); Local government in Francia and England: a comparison of the local administration and jurisdiction of the Carolingian Empire with that of the West Saxon Kingdom (University of London Press, London, 1912); Studies in the Hundred Rolls: some aspects of thirteenth century administration (Oxford, 1921); The Hundred and the Hundred Rolls: an outline of local government in Medieval England (Methuen and Co, London, 1930); The legislators of Medieval England (Geoffrey Cumberlege, London, [1946]); What of the Middle Ages is still alive in England today? (Athlone Press, London, [1961]); Zachary Nugent Brooke, 1883-1946 (Geoffrey Cumberlege, London, [1949]); Bibliography of English constitutional history (G. Bell and Sons, London, 1929); editor Crown, community and parliament in the later Middle Ages: studies in English constitutional history (Basil Blackwell, Oxford, 1951); editor Studies in manorial history (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1938); introduction to Selected historical essays of F. W. Maitland (University Press, Cambridge, 1957).

William Hunter McCrea was born on 13 December 1904 in Dublin but moved to Chesterfield, Derbyshire before he was three. Here he was educated at the Central (elementary) School and the Grammar School, from which he won an entrance scholarship in Mathematics to Trinity College, Cambridge. He read for the Mathematical Tripos, becoming a Wrangler 1926, and after graduating began research with R.H. Fowler. Recognition came early with a Cambridge University Rayleigh Prize, a Trinity College Rouse Ball Senior Studentship, a Sheepshanks Exhibition and an Isaac Newton Studentship.

After spending the year 1928-1929 at Göttingen University he moved to a succession of academic appointments: Lecturer in the Mathematics Department at Edinburgh University (headed by E.T. Whittaker) in 1930, Reader at Imperial College London in 1932 and Professor of Mathematics at Queen's University Belfast in 1936. In 1943 he was given leave from Belfast to undertake Operational Research in the Admiralty in the team led by P.M.S. Blackett and in 1944 he was appointed Professor of Mathematics at Royal Holloway University of London, an appointment he took up at the end of the war. McCrea remained at Royal Holloway until 1966 when he took up his last appointment as Science Research Council supported Research Professor of Theoretical Astronomy at the recently established Sussex University. McCrea and University Professor R.J. Tayler, with the support of the Astronomer Royal R.v.d.R. Woolley and other senior Royal Greenwich Observatory staff, effectively put Sussex on the world astronomy map. McCrea's research covered many areas of mathematics, physics and astronomy, but he is probably best known for his work on relativity and cosmology.

The following brief account of some of his principal interests draws on the obituary by Robert Smith and Leon Mestel in The Observatory Magazine. McCrea was an advocate, along with E.A. Milne, of the use of a Newtonian framework to provide simple derivations of the expanding universe models of general relativity.

In the 1950s his interest in relativity led to a contentious dispute with Herbert Dingle on the famous 'twin paradox'. During the same period he was one of the few people to take seriously the steady-state theory developed by H. Bondi, T. Gold and F. Hoyle, showing how to treat the theory within the mathematical framework of general relativity, though he later accepted that the theory was ruled out by observational evidence. He had a particular interest in star formation and developed an innovative (though not widely supported) model for the origin of the solar system. He was the first to make a quantitative study of the rate of formation of hydrogen molecules on the surfaces of dust grains in space, a process crucial to many reactions in interstellar chemistry. He was quick to realise in the 1960s that the newly postulated phenomenon of mass transfer in close binaries could be used to explain the presence of 'blue stragglers' which occupied the extended main sequence of some globular clusters.

McCrea wrote some 280 scientific papers and a number of books including Relativity Physics (1935), Analytical Geometry of Three Dimensions (1942) and the less technical Physics of the Sun and Stars (1950). McCrea played a major role in British astronomy. From 1944 he spent many years on the Admiralty's Board of Visitors of the Royal Greenwich Observatory and on its Science Research Council successor. He was very actively involved in the RGO's Tercentenary celebrations (1675-1975), writing an historical review for the occasion which was published by the HMSO. In 1985 he served on a Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC) Astronomy Working Group (chairman J.F.C. Kingman) which reviewed arrangements for ground-based astronomy. McCrea strongly dissented from the subsequent decision of the SERC (announced March 1986) to move the RGO from Herstmonceux in Sussex. His work for scientific societies was extensive, including, for example, serving on key Royal Society committees with respect to astronomy and space science. However, it was his contribution to the Royal Astronomical Society that was unique, having held all four offices (President, Secretary, Treasurer and Foreign Correspondent), and serving on its Council almost continuously from 1936 to 1980. He was frequently asked to be visiting professor for long or short periods, for example at the University of California, Berkeley in 1956 and 1967 and at the Case Institute of Technology, Cleveland in 1964, and often travelled as an exchange visitor under Royal Society auspices, for example to the USSR in 1960 and 1968, India in 1976 and Egypt in 1981. He was the first British scientist to make an official visit, also under the Royal Society auspices, to Argentina after the Falklands War. As a great admirer of Georges Lemaitre, he was particularly pleased to be the first occupant of the Georges Lemaitre Chair at the University of Louvain in 1969. In his extensive overseas commitments over many years he was almost an ambassador for British astronomy. His distinction in research and services to astronomy were recognised by many honours and awards including election to the Fellowship of the Royal Society in 1952, the award of the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society in 1976 and a knighthood in 1985. In 1933 he married Marian Nicol Core who died in 1995. They had one son and two daughters. He died in Lewes, Sussex on 25 April 1999 aged 94.

Born 1896; educated privately and at Birkbeck College and University College London, 1913-1917; Administrative Assistant and Personnel Officer, Ministry of National Service, 1917-1918, and War Trade Intelligence Department, 1918-1919; editor of peace handbooks prepared for the Paris Peace Conference, 1918; Lecturer, Birkbeck College, University of London, 1921-1930; part-time Lecturer, East London (later Queen Mary) College, London, 1923-1925; Member of the Board of Studies in History, 1924, and Member of the Board of Examiners in History, 1926, University of London; Vice-President of the Historical Association, 1930; Professor of Modern History, Bedford College, University of London, 1930-1962; Dean of the Faculty of Arts, University of London, 1938-1944; Member of the Senate, University of London, 1940-1962; National Service, Intelligence Division, Ministry of Information, 1938-1939; Member of Commission on Higher Education in the Colonies, 1943-1945; Chairman of the Academic Council, University of London, 1945-1948; Vice-Chancellor, University of London, 1948-1951; Founder Member, 1948, and Chairman, 1953-1954, of the United States Educational Commission in the United Kingdom; DBE, 1951; Member of the Council, Salisbury College, Rhodesia, 1955; Honorary Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons, 1959; Member of the Council, 1928, Vice-President and Honorary Vice-President, 1959-1963, Royal Historical Society; Honorary degrees from Canterbury, Leeds, St Andrews, Southampton, Oxford, Sheffield, Cambridge, Belfast and Western Ontario, Canada; Emeritus Professor, 1962; retired 1962; died 1963.

Publications: assisted with British documents on the origin of the war, 1898-1914 (London, 1927); editor of Europe in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries (Longmans, London, 1940); Bibliography of modern history (London, 1922); Educational partnership in Africa and the West Indies: being a lecture on the Montague Burton Foundation in the University of Glasgow, delivered on 15th April, 1954 (Jackson and Co, Glasgow, 1955); Foreign affairs under the third Marquis of Salisbury (Athlone Press, London, 1962); History and politics (Birkbeck College, London, 1949); The Bengal administrative system, 1786-1818 (Cambridge History of the British Empire, Vol 4); The Colonial Agents of the British West Indies: a study in colonial administration, mainly in the eighteenth century (University Press, London, 1924); The colonial background of British foreign policy (Bell and Sons, London, 1930); The West Indies and the Spanish-American trade, 1713-1748; A century of diplomatic Blue Books, 1814-1914 (University Press, Cambridge, 1938); Foundations of British foreign policy (University Press, Cambridge, 1938); Short bibliography of modern European history, 1789-1935 (G Bell and Sons, London, 1936); Short bibliography of modern European history, 1709-1926 (London, 1927).

Kathleen Tillotson: born 1905; educated at Ackworth School, Yorkshire; The Mount School, York and Somerville College, Oxford; gained BLitt in 1929. Part-time assistant in English Department at Bedford College 1929-1933; became junior lecturer in 1933 and lecturer in 1937; full-time lecturer in 1939; Senior Lecturer then Reader in 1947; Hildred Carlile Professor of English Literature 1958 til retirement in 1971. Died 2001.

Geoffrey Tillotson: born 1905; educated at Glusburn Elementary School; Keighley Trade and Grammar School; Balliol College, and BLitt at Oxford. Lectured in English at College of Technology, Leicester, 1928-1929; Sub-Librarian if English Schools library in Oxford, 1930-1931; Assistant Lecturer at University College London 1931-1934; Lecturer there 1934-1940, then Assistant Principal in the Ministry of Aircraft Production, 1940-1945. Granted Readership in Absentia from University of London 1942; then Professor of English Language and Literature at Birkbeck College, 1944-1969. Visiting Professor at Harvard, 1948. Died 1969.

Born 1879; educated Wallasey Grammar School, the Wirral, University College, Liverpool, Victoria University, Manchester, and Balliol College, Oxford University; Assistant Lecturer in Latin and Classics, Liverpool University, 1903-1908; Reader in Greek, 1908-1928, and Professor of Greek, 1928-1936, Bedford College, University of London; Head of Greek Department, Bedford College, 1908-1936; died 1936.

Publications: translation of The birds and the frogs by Aristophanes (E. Arnold and Co, London, 1927); editor of The olynthiac speeches of Demosthenes (University Press, Cambridge, 1915); Leaves of Hellas: essays on some aspects of Greek literature (E. Arnold and Co, London, 1926); Studies and diversions in Greek literature (E. Arnold and Co, London, 1937); introduction and notes for an edition of Ion by Plato (1912).

Faculty meetings were introduced in 1897 to decide courses of study for students, matters relating to timetables and the syllabus, and recommendations for prizes and scholarships. Initially the Faculties met monthly, though this was later reduced to three times a year. The Principal acted as the Chair of all Faculty meetings. After 1937, the Arts and Science Tutors, whose role it was to advise students in connection with their courses of study and timetable, were selected at their respective Faculty meetings. All the Faculties elected the Dean, whose duties were more concerned with the social aspects of student life.

The recreations and to some extent the social lives of staff and students, were organised until 1925 through the College Meeting. This was a staff/student committee, which first met in July 1890 to consider proposals for enabling former members of the College to keep in touch with its resident members. These proposals led to the formation of the Royal Holloway College Association, but the College Meeting itself was found to be a useful forum for the discussion of College affairs, and was made permanent. It met at least once a term and was composed of the Principal and an allocated number of staff and students. Its main responsibility was the Theoric Fund from which allocations were made for Chard, the various sports clubs, and a limited number of other purposes.

In 1925 it was decided that the business conducted by the College Meeting could instead be conducted by the Union and it was therefore disbanded. Committees formed under the College Meeting became Committees of the Union.

In 1966, the College Committee was formed as a joint staff-student body, which met once or twice a term to discuss matters of mutual interest.

Royal Holloway College

The College Letter was founded in 1890 for circulation to members of the Royal Holloway College Association. It reported on the activities of the clubs and societies of the College. Alongside this ran Erinna, an annual literary magazine, which included contributions from staff and students alike. The Letter was replaced in 1957 by Caviare.

A weekly College newspaper called Château was founded in 1968. This replaced Mr Gillie (also known as the Wall Newspaper) which had begun life as a sheet on the College noticeboard reporting on sporting and social events, and had circulated briefly as a news sheet from 1966-1967.

The Deed of Foundation for the College (October 1883) assigned the management and government of the College to twelve Governors, including the three Trustees of the College Estate appointed by the Founder, Thomas Holloway. The Board of Governors was to contain five Representative Governors, one appointed by the Lord President of the Council (or Head of the Education Department of the Government), one by the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Senate of the University of London, one by the Court of Aldermen of the City of London, one by the Corporation of Windsor, and one by the Corporation of Reading. The remaining four Governors were to be co-optative and elected by the rest of the Governors. Each Governor was appointed for the term of seven years and was then eligible for re-election. The Governors were given the power to elect all future Trustees of the College and to remove Trustees from office. Governors could resign at any time and would cease to hold the office in cases of bankruptcy, insolvency, or absence from meetings for a stated amount of time. They could be removed from office by the votes of a majority of the Governors. Each vacancy was to be filled by the body which had nominated the retiring or deceased Governor.

The Governors held monthly meetings at the College during the academic terms. A Chairman was to be elected by a majority. The Board of Governors was given responsibility for the entire management of the College. As stated in the Deed of Foundation, this included the appointment and remuneration of the Principal and Professors, and all the teachers, officers and servants; the overseeing of the purchase of all food and other articles and things requisite in the conduct and management of the College; the framing of the curriculum and general regulations of the College, the College terms, the fees payable by students, the mode and system of examinations and of registering and awarding results; and the distribution of the Founders Scholarships and other prizes and awards. They also had the power to make and publish bylaws for the general management of the College and the terms of service of staff members. The Secretary to the Governors carried out the day-to-day administrative responsibilities of the Governors.

The Foundation Deed stated that women could not be Governors, and this was not changed until the Governors executed a Deed Poll in 1912. This provided that two of the co-optative Governors should be women, and at the same time extended the number of Governors to 19. The Principal and two other staff members were also invited to attend Governors Meetings after this point. In 1920 the Foundation Deed was amended to provide for the appointment of the Principal as an ex-officio Governor, and for two other staff Governors (who should be members of the Academic Board).

In 1949, the College Council replaced the Board of Governors as a result of the Royal Holloway College Act. The Council was to consist of 22 members, namely a Chairman, the Principal, six Co-Opted Members, and fourteen Representative Members elected by the Lord President of the Privy Council (1), the Senate of the University of London (2), the Court of Aldermen of the City of London (1), the Minister of Education (2), the Hebdomadal Council of the University of Oxford (1), the Council of the Senate of the University of Cambridge (1), the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the borough of Windsor (1), the Academic Board (4), and the Royal Holloway College Association (RHCA) (1). Women were appointed on the same condition as men. All representative or co-opted members were to hold office for five years at the end of which they were to be eligible for re-appointment. The representatives of the Academic Board, however, were to be appointed annually but were also eligible for re-appointment.

The Council was responsible for the management, control and administration of all property and income of the College, and for the government of the affairs of the College. Subject to various legal safeguards and the approval of the University, the Council was empowered to make new Statutes for the College. Among its specified powers were the rights to admit men as non-resident postgraduate students and to change or add to the curriculum. From 1949, the Secretary to the Governors became the College Secretary. In 1970, student representatives, one being the President of the Union, were allowed to sit on the Council.

Royal Holloway College

Photographs collected throughout the history of Royal Holloway College.

William Newmarch was born in Thirsk, Yorkshire, on 28 January, 1820, and was a self-educated man. He began employment as a clerk with a distributor of stamps but then moved to the Yorkshire Fire and Life Office and thence to Messrs. Leathams' banking house. Following his early marriage, in 1846 he moved to London and worked on the Morning Chronicle as well as in the management of Agra Bank. Here his knowledge of banking and business brought him into contact with the leading economists and businessmen in the City including Thomas Tooke who supported Newmarch's successful application to become a Fellow of the Statistical Society in 1847. Four years later, in 1851, he became Secretary to the Globe Insurance Company and began work with Tooke on preparing volumes 5 and 6 of the History of Prices. These were published in 1857 and quickly became classics, generally acknowledged as a continuation and development of Tooke's work rather than a simple collaboration. In 1857 he gave evidence in committee on the Bank Acts and in 1861he received the unusual honour for a businessman of being elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in recognition of his achievements. The following year he became the first manager of Glyn, Mills & Co. bank where he remained until his retirement in 1881 following a stroke. Glynn, Mills & Co. provided banking facilities for more than 200 of the new railway companies as well as handling the important Canadian financial agency and Newmarch became a director of the Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada. Throughout his career Newmarch was a journalist contributing articles to magazines and newspapers including the Economist, the Statist, and the Times, especially on prices, the gold supply and the movement of money. With the RSS he was Secretary from 1854 to 1861, Editor of the Journal, 1852-1862, Vice-President in 1863, and from 1871 to 1881, as well as President between 1869 and 1871 and a contributor of numerous articles to the Society's Journal. He was also a member and Secretary of the Political Economy Club, founder of the Adam Smith Club and a prime mover in establishing the Tooke Professorship at King's College London. He died at Torquay, Devon, on 23 March, 1882, and was commemorated by the establishment of the Society's Newmarch Memorial Essay and by the Newmarch Professorship of Economic Science at University College London. Publications: The New Supplies of Gold (1853); Pitt's Financial Operations (1855); A History of Prices and of the State of the Circulation during the Nine Years 1848-56 (1857).

Egon Sharpe Pearson was born in Hampstead, London, in 1895, the middle child of Karl Pearson and his wife Maria Sharpe. He was educated at Winchester College and Cambridge University, graduating in 1920 and joined his father's Department of Applied Statistics at University College London in 1921 becoming assistant editor of Biometrika, the statistical journal co-founded by Karl Pearson, in 1924. In 1933 Pearson succeeded his father as Head of Department at UCL; three years later, when Karl Pearson died, he also became Managing Editor of Biometrika.

In 1930, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society (RSS). During a visit to the USA in 1931, Pearson met Walter Shewart of the Bell Telephone Laboratory with whom he discussed quality control in industry. The following year he presented a paper to the RSS on industrial applications of statistics which led directly to the formation of the Industrial and Agricultural Research Section (IARS) of the Society. He was on the Council of the RSS from 1934 to 1951, serving as Vice-President in 1945/6 and again in 1947/8 and was elected President for 1955-1957.

He married in 1934 and had two children; his wife died in 1949. Pearson died in 1980.

Born, Bridport, 1868; educated at Cheltenham College, Royal Military Academy, Woolwich; joined the Royal Artillery 1888; served in China, earning high commendation from the War Office, 1889-1890; Professor of Strategy and Tactics, Royal Military College, Kingston, Canada, 1893-1898; organised Military Survey of the Canadian Frontier, 1894-1896; appointed British military attaché with the US Army during the Spanish-American war, 1898; honorary member of Roosevelt's Rough Riders, and became a close friend of Theodore Roosevelt; military attaché in Washington, USA, 1899; returned to England and retired from the army, 1900; Conservative MP for Fareham, Hampshire, 1900-1918; joined the Board of Admiralty as a civil lord, 1903-1905; introduced and promoted the White Slave Traffic Act through Parliament, 1912; rejoined the army as a colonel on the staff, 1914; detailed for special service with the Expeditionary Forces and mentioned in despatches twice; Parliamentary Military Secretary, Ministry of Munitions, 1915-1916; knighted, 1916 (KCB); Personal Military Secretary to the Secretary of State for War (Lloyd George), 1916; Director-General of Food Production, 1917-1918, in recognition of his work made Baron Lee of Fareham; Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries, 1919-1921; First Lord of the Admiralty, 1921-1922; British Delegate to the Washington Conference on reduction and limitation of arms, 1921-1922; Viscount, 1922; presided over three Royal Commissions, the Civil Service in India, 1923-1924, London Cross-River Traffic, 1926, and Police Powers and Procedure, 1928; Chairman of the Radium Commission and Trustee of the National Radium Fund 1929-1933; President of Cheltenham College, 1917-1940; Trustee of the Wallace Collection, 1924; Trustee of the National Gallery, 1926-1933, 1941-1947 (chairman 1931 and 1932); member of the Royal Fine Art Commission, 1926 and Deputy Chairman, 1940; member, Executive Committee of National Art Collections Fund; Chairman, Management Committee of the Courtauld Institute of Art, 1932-1937; Chairman, Warburg Library and Institute, 1933-1945; restored and furnished the Chequers Estate, which he gave to the Nation, 1921; bequeathed his art collection to the Courtauld Institute of Art; died, Gloucestershire, 1947.

Publications: The English Heritage Series joint editor (Longmans & Co, London, 1929-)

Born in London, 1866; educated at the City of London College, and King's College London; studied art at the Lambeth School of Art and in Paris; worked for the Graphic and Illustrated London News, and as art critic for several papers including the Manchester Guardian and the Saturday Review; commissioned by the Trustees of the National Gallery to complete the arrangement and inventory of the Turner bequest, begun by John Ruskin, 1905; brought to light a large number of unknown paintings by Turner, which led to their exhibition at the Tate, 1906, and the building of the new Turner Gallery by Sir Joseph Duveen; founded the Walpole Society, to encourage the study and promotion of British art, 1911; Honorary Secretary and Editor of the Walpole Society, 1911-1922; Art Adviser to the Board of Inland Revenue for picture valuations, 1914-1919; Lecturer on the History of Painting to the Education Committee of London County Council, and the University of London; died 1939.
Publications: The English Water Colour Painters (1906); Drawings of David Cox (George Newnes, London, Charles Schribner's Sons, New York, [1906]); A Complete Inventory of the Drawings of the Turner Bequest 2 vols, (Stationery Office, London, 1909); Ingres (1910); The Turner Drawings in the National Gallery, London (no publication details); Turner's Sketches and Drawings...With 100 illustrations (1910); Turner's Water-Colours at Farnley Hall ("The Studio", London, 1912); Some Reflections on the Art Editor and the Illustrator (London, 1912); The Development of British Landscape Painting in Water-Colours edited by Charles Holme, with text by A J Finberg and E A Taylor ("The Studio", London, 1918); Early English Water-Colour Drawings by the Great Masters edited by Geoffrey Holme, with articles by A J Finberg ("The Studio", London, 1919); Notes on four Pencil Drawings of J M W Turner (Chiswick Press, London, 1921); The First Exhibition of the New Society of Graphic Art (Alexander Moring, London, 1921); The History of Turner's Liber Studiorum. With a new catalogue raisonné (Ernest Benn, London, 1924); Modern Painters. Abridged & edited by A J Finberg by John Ruskin (G Bell and Sons, London, 1927); An Introduction to Turner's Southern Coast (Cotswold Gallery, London,1929); In Venice with Turner (Cotswold Gallery, London, 1930); The Life of J M W Turner, RA (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1939).

George Field: born, Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire in about 1777; educated at St Peter's School, Berkhampstead; experimented with the application of chemistry to pigments and dyes; successfully cultivated madder, (a plant cultivated for dye); invented a 'physeter' or percolator acting by air pressure to produce coloured lakes or pigments; awarded the Society of Arts' gold Isis medal for the percolator, 1816, (the apparatus is described by in Society of Arts Transactions, xxxiv pp 87-94); continued to work on preparing colours for use by artists; other inventions included a metrochrome and conical lenses; died, Isleworth, Middlesex, 1854.

Publications: Chromatics; or, an Essay on the analogy and harmony of colours (Newman, London, 1817); Chromatography, or, A treatise on colours and pigments, and of their powers in painting (London, 1835); Ethics; or, the analogy of the Moral Sciences indicated; Outlines of Analogical Philosophy, being a primary view of the principles, relations and purposes of Nature, Science, and Art 2 vols (London, 1839); Rudiments of the Painter's Art: or, a Grammar of Colouring (London, 1850); Tritogenea, or, A brief outline of the universal system; Dianoia. The third Organon attempted, or, Elements of Logic and subjective philosophy; Aesthetics, or, the analogy of the sensible sciences indicated: with an appendix on light and colors; The analogy of the physical sciences indicated; Society of Arts Transactions, xxxiv pp 87-94.

Born in Dorchester, 1847; trained with Messrs Agnew, Fine Art Publishers, c.1866-c.1875; purchased the London Art Business of Messrs Dickinson, New Bond Street, c.1875; Honorary Secretary of the Folk-lore Society, 1885-1892; became interested in the art of miniature painting and visted a large number of collections in Britain and abroad; Member of the British Committee International Exhibition of Miniatures, 1912; produced a large number of publications relating to the History of Art, and miniature paintings in particular; published Wessex Worthies, biographies of notable Wessex personages, 1920; continued his research for a dictionary of miniature painters, published posthumously by his daughter; died 1923.
Publications: Catalogue of a Loan Collection of Miniatures and Enamels [Compiled by J J Foster]([London,] 1880); British Miniature Painters and their works (Sampson, Low & Co, London, 1898); The Stuarts, 2 vols (Dickinsons, London; E P Dutton & Co, New York, 1902); Miniature Painters, British and Foreign, with some account of those who practised in America in the eighteenth century, 2 vols (Dickinsons, London; E P Dutton & Co, New York, 1903); The Life of George Morland, with remarks on his works with an introduction and notes by J J Foster (Dickinsons, London, 1904) [Reprint of: The Life of George Morland by Vernor, Hood, & Sharpe (J Walker, London, 1807)]; Concerning the True Portraiture of Mary, Queen of Scots (Dickinsons, London, 1904); French Art from Watteau to Prud'hon Edited by J J Foster (Dickinsons, London, 1905-1907); Chats on Old Miniatures (T Fisher Unwin, London, 1908); Samuel Cooper and the English miniature painters of the XVII Century, with supplement: A List, alphabetically arranged, of works of English miniature painters of the XVII century, with a description of the same, names of the owners and remarks, 2 vols (Dickinsons, London, 1914-1916); Wessex Worthies - Dorset (Dickinsons, London, 1920); A Dictionary of Painters of Miniatures, 1525-1850 edited by Ethel M Foster (P Allan & Co, London, 1926).

Lists of Fellows and Members were kept from the founding of the College in 1929; the Annual Report was also produced from that date. Production of the Register of Fellows and Members, the Annual Report and programmes of admission ceremonies is currently the responsibility of the Deputy College Secretary's Office.

An Executive Committee was established as a standing committee of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in 1926. By June 1930 it had combined with another standing committee, the Finance and Establishment Committee, to form the Finance and Executive Committee (F & E). Renamed the Finance and Executive Group in 2002, it is serviced by the College Secretary's Office.

This inquiry was set up by a committee of the Joint Council of Midwifery in 1936, with the College President, Sir Ewen Maclean, as the College's representative. In 1937 an interim report, including comments from the constituent bodies with representatives on the Midwifery committee, was forwarded to the Inter-departmental Committee on Abortion which had been set up by the Ministry of Health.

Overseas doctors' training schemes (ODTS) were instituted by the Department of Health after the Second World War to arrange postgraduate training in the UK for overseas doctors. Under the schemes the Department arranged training posts for doctors from overseas, monitored training and negotiated with the Home Office over visas. During the 1970s the royal medical colleges were also developing their own procedures for assisting and advising overseas doctors wishing to train in the UK. In the late 1980s responsibility for developing their own training schemes, including sponsorship, was passed to the royal medical colleges.

In 1983 the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists decided to expand its existing arrangements, which had hitherto been confined to the placement of postgraduates financed by funds from overseas in unpaid supernumerary posts. Double sponsorship schemes were therefore initiated, the overseas sponsor normally being the national or regional representative committee of the College; in countries without such committees sponsorship by Fellows or Members, or, exceptionally, deans of medical schools was considered. Placement of sponsored trainees and their subsequent supervision was the responsibility of the College's Director of Postgraduate Studies. In 1986 a Sponsorship Officer (now the ODTF Officer) was appointed.

In 1994 the ODTS section within the College acquired a careers side, currently run by a Careers Officer, who produces careers advice and guidelines. ODTF (the section was renamed in 2001) also maintains records of overseas doctors who have passed the membership of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (MRCOG). The ODTF falls under the umbrella of the Postgraduate Training Department of the College.

In November 1994 the Council of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) set up a working party under the chairmanship of the Senior Vice President/Overseas Officer to examine the international affairs of the College and to make recommendations. The working party was particularly concerned with training for overseas postgraduates. The resulting report was circulated to all College members world wide.

The working party was set up by the College President in 1984 to "look into ways of improving the management of parents who had had a stillbirth or neonatal death" (Guidance notes in the minute book of the working party; see M16M/1). This body was also known as the working party on the management of perinatal deaths. Its Chairman was R D Atlay FRCOG.

At a meeting of the Finance and Executive Committee of the RCOG in November 1962 proposals were put forward for a survey "to ascertain facts appertaining to the discharge of normal maternity cases from hospital on the seventh day and to compare the findings with a control group discharged on the seventh day". The College hoped that the Ministry of Health would organise the survey, which would require the co-operation of the Central Midwives Board finance, Royal College of Midwives, the Association of Paediatricians and local health authorities. At a meeting of Council in January 1965 (A.249) it was noted the College had collected information concerning `early discharge' from some twenty or thirty hospitals in a pilot scheme. This information had been sent to the Ministry of Health for analysis with a view to launching a full-scale enquiry.

This working party was set up in October 1982 under the chairmanship of J D O Loudon to consider the role of medical gynaecology and the training of medical gynaecologists. It carried out its investigations by the circulation of a questionnaire and produced its report to Council in 1984.

This sub-committee was established by Council, under the chairmanship of J Malvern, in November 1980. Its terms of reference were "to enquire into all matters relating to manpower in training and career posts in obstetrics and gynaecology in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland and to advise the Council on policies with regard to numbers and distribution of training posts" (1983 report, p. 5 in M32/1). In 1982 the committee presented a preliminary report to Council defining the current state of manpower in the British Isles; a second, published report was produced in 1983. This committee may be seen as a precursor to the RCOG's Manpower (later Medical Workforce) Advisory Committee, which was established in 1988.

The working party was established in 1979 under the chairmanship of M C Macnaughton. Its terms of reference were "to consider the provision and standards of antenatal and intrapartum obstetrics services, and to make recommendations for possible improvements in necessary standards in future". This working party is an extension of an earlier RCOG/BPA Standing Joint Committee that published its report in 1978, Recommendations for the improvement of infant care during the perinatal period in the United Kingdom. However it was felt that the antenatal and intrapartum period needed to be covered; hence the 1979 working party.

The Nurtrition Committee was appointed by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists' Council in October 1944, following a request to the Nutrition Society from Lord Woolton for advice on certain aspects of the diets of pregnant women and the effect of diet on the fetus. Sir Joseph Barcroft felt that the College was the body to make authoritative statements on the issue, and the Committee was set up to make a comprehensive investigation. Its terms of reference were to correlate and gain information with regard to the effect of nutrition on the health of pregnant women and their offspring.

In 1966 the Ministry of Health asked the RCOG for its views on a report on ambulance training and equipment produced by the Ministry and the Scottish Home and Health Department.

The working party was set up by the RCOG Finance and Executive Committee in 1965. Its terms of reference were as follows: "to consider the Platt Report `A reform of Nursing Education' and prepare a memorandum for submission to the Minister with particular reference to the effects of the implementation of this Report on the status and future training of midwives" (reference: RCOG memorandum in M4/1). Humphrey Arthure, formerly Honorary Secretary of the College (1947-1955), was the chairman of the working party.

The working party was instituted by the Council of the RCOG in 1989 to review the education and services related to contraception in view of the continuing high rate of unplanned pregnancy. It reported in September 1991.

The hospital visiting working party was set up in January 1993 by Council under the chairmanship of the Honorary Secretary, Professor W Dunlop FRCOG. Its terms of reference were as follows: 1) to examine the implications of the rotation of registrars upon recognition of training posts; 2) to advise upon the abolition of the distinction between SHO training posts for DRCOG and MRCOG; 3) to assess the purpose of hospital visiting following the introduction of structured training; 4) to suggest appropriate revision of the current system of hospital visiting; 5) to report to Council via the Finance and executive Committee within three months (see terms of reference of the report, archives ref: M41/1).

Established by the Council of the RCOG in 1988, the working party's terms of reference were to review current postgraduate activities of the College, post general accreditation and to consider the need, feasibility and the format of assessment of the individual's maintenance of skills.

The PROLOG working party was set up as a result of a questionnaire sent to UK Fellows and Members on the role of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in continuing postgraduate education. The main purpose of the exercise was to keep Fellows and Members up to date with progress in the speciality. It was decided to adopt the name of LOGIC (Learning in Obstetrics and Gynaecology for In-Service Clinicians) as a title for the scheme.

The RCOG undertook a survey of obstetric flying squads in 1980 in order to discover what care was provided for obstetric emergencies arising in the community where pre-admission examination or treatment has been considered advisable.

The working party was set up by order of the Council of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in March 1990. It met once and produced a paper on guidelines for private practice which was published in November.

In January 1993 a meeting was held to prepare an information document for presentation to the most relevant speciality committee of the Department of Health's London Implementation Group following government acceptance of the recommendations of the Tomlinson Report on the future of London's health services. A submission was presented in July 1993.

Biographical note: John Harold Peel (b. 1904) KCVO, MA, BM BCh(Oxon), FRCP, FRCS, Hon FRCOG, Hon DSc(Birm), Hon FRCS(C.), Hon FCOG(SA), Hon FACS, Hon FACOG, Hon NMSA, Hon DM(Soton), Hon SCh(Newcastle) served as the College's Honorary Treasurer from 1959-1966 and as President from 1966-1969. He was the author of The Lives of the Fellows of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 1929-1969 (Whitefriars Press Ltd, 1976). He was elevated to the honorary fellowship of the College in 1989. Administrative history: the survey was conducted by Sir John Peel, PRCOG, in 1967. It was divided into three parts: 1: A survey of the reports from 22 teaching hospitals in Great Britain and Ireland covering the years 1949, 1954, 1959 and 1964; 2: a more detailed survey of caesarean sections preformed over the same years at King's College Hospital; 3: a report from 13 of the 22 hospitals on vaginal deliveries after previous caesarean section. Sir John presented his findings at the 18th British Congress of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Cambridge in July 1968. The final report is not extant and its whereabouts are unknown at this time.