Mostrando 15888 resultados

Registro de autoridad
Gilchrist Educational Trust

The Gilchrist Educational Trust was founded on the bequest of Dr John Borthwick Gilchrist (1759-1841) who left the residue of his estate to the Trustees 'for the benefit advancement and propagation of education and learning in every part of the world as far as circumstances will permit'. After long litigation procedures the Educational Trust was founded in 1865.

The principle which guided the Trustees in the administration of the funds under their control was that of doing pioneering work, such as seeking to fill up educational gaps; making some provision for the educational needs of classes of persons not already provided for; aiding new educational movements which, for lack of public support at their initiation, needed financial help to enable them to grow in strength. They began by establishing scholarships to bring natives of India to England for a University education that would fit them to undertake public work on their return. These, later taken over by the Government of India, were followed by similar scholarships in the (then) Colonies which were, in turn, taken over by the appropriate authorities. There followed scholarships in England for women at the time when Women's Colleges were being established. The Trust is perhaps best known for its establishment of the Gilchrist Lecturers, 1867-1939, which were given in industrial communities by eminent men and were attended by many thousands of people. After the Lectures began, the University Extension movement started to develop; the Trust worked in close association with it and, later, with the Workers' Educational Association.

Haymon , Mark , d 1992 , solicitor

Mark Haymon was C K Ogden's solicitor and also his close friend and collaborator. He was a member of the Orthological Institute and for many years a trustee of the Basic English Foundation.

Victor Horsley was born in Kensington, London, and educated at Cranbrook School in Kent and at University College London, where he studied medicine under John Burdon Sanderson and G D Thane. In 1880 he was appointed House Surgeon at University College Hospital where he experimented with anaesthetics. Horsley studied at postgraduate level in Berlin in 1881 and in 1882 was appointed Surgical Registrar at University College Hospital. From 1884 to 1890 Horsley was Professor-Superintendent of the Brown Institute, where he did experiments on localization of brain function (with Charles Beevor), on the pituitary gland, on the relation of the larynx to the nervous system (with Felix Semon), and on the thyroid gland, myxoedema and cachexia strumipriva. In 1885 he was promoted to assistant surgeon. In 1886 he took the position of Assistant Professor of Surgery at the National Hospital for Paralysis and Epilepsy, Queen Square, where he performed operations on the brain and spinal cord. In 1886 he was appointed secretary of the Local Government Board Commission on Hydrophobia, and also studied Pasteur's anti-rabies vaccine. In the same year he was elected Fellow of the Royal Society. From 1887 to 1896 Horsley was Professor of Pathology at University College London. He married Eldred, daughter of Sir Frederick Bramwell, in 1887, and the couple had two sons and one daughter. Horsley was elected President of the Medical Defence Union in 1893 and the British Medical Temperance Association in 1896. In 1897 he was appointed to the Senate of the University of London and elected to the General Medical Council. From 1899 to 1902 he was Professor of Clinical Surgery at University College London. In 1902 he was knighted for his work in medicine. In 1907 he published Alcohol and the Human Body with Dr Mary Sturge. Towards the end of his life he stood as a Liberal candidate in London but later resigned; he was also rejected by Leicester. In 1915 and 1916 he travelled extensively in a medical capacity, performing surgery on the war field. He died at Amara from heatstroke and pyrexia in July 1916. Lady Horsley continued to be involved in radical causes after her husband's death. Their sons, Siward and Oswald, were both educated at Bedales School in Hampshire, then at Oxford University. Both fought in the Great War, the younger, Oswald, being killed in a flying accident at the end of 1918. The elder, Siward, died in 1920. In 1917 Victor's daughter Pamela married Stanley Robinson, who was knighted in 1972 for his work in the British Museum. Pamela and her husband helped to found a Babies Club in Chelsea.

Institute of Jewish Affairs

The Institute of Jewish Affairs was founded in New York under the auspices of the American Jewish Congress and the World Jewish Congress in 1941, aiming to conduct an investigation of Jewish life over the preceding 25 years, to establish the facts of the position of the Jews during World War Two and determine their causes, and to suggest how Jewish rights might be claimed in a post-war settlement. It conducted research and collected documentation and information on various issues including anti-Semitism. The Insitute moved to London in 1965, maintaining its programme of research and publications into contemporary issues affecting Jewish communities, its regular publications including its report on anti-Semitism. The Institute was renamed the Institute for Jewish Policy Research in 1997.

Jones was born in central London, the son of Daniel Jones, a barrister, and his second wife, Viola. Although Jones himself passed the bar exams, he never practised law as he had already developed an interest in the then relatively new science of phonetics. Jones's association with University College London began in 1907 when he became a part-time lecturer in phonetics. In 1912 phonetics attained departmental status and expanded both in staffing and scope. In 1913 an experimental research laboratory was set up, in 1914 Jones was made Reader in Phonetics and in 1921 he became the first Professor of Phonetics in a British university. During his years at University College London and after his retirement in 1949, Jones published several works. His major publications were 'The pronunciation of English' (Cambridge University Press, 1909), 'An English Pronouncing Dictionary' (Dent, 1917), 'An Outline of English Phonetics' (Teubner, 1918), 'The Phoneme, its nature and use' (Heffer, 1950) and a number of phonetic readers of various languages. Jones was involved with the International Phonetics Association becoming President in 1950. He was also active in the Simplified Spelling Society, the BBC, and the Advisory Committee on Spoken English.

The James Joyces Centre was set up in 1973. The collection was started with the help of the Trustees of the Joyce Estate, Faber & Faber, the Society of Authors and other donors. The Centre started collecting archival material in 1974.

Amicie Lebaudy was the wife of Jules Lebaudy, she wrote works on the Jansénisme under the pseudonym of Guillaume Dall. Following her husband's death she devoted her income to social works including the restoration of the abbey of Port-Royal-of-Fields and the building of the Kereon lighthouse. She was a supporter of La Ligue de la patrie française and was also involved in the 'Syveton affair'.

The Sanatorium du Mont des Oiseaux was established in [1906] by Dr Petit, a physician in San Salvadour, to accommodate adults, (San Salvadour was intended for children). The architect was A. Gléna. Shortly before the 1914-1918 war, the sanatorium became the property of the Red Cross and hosted the war wounded. In the late 1960s it was converted into houses.

Born, 1936; educated at the City of London School and Trinity College Cambridge (Exhibitioner); BA; Harvard Law School (Harkness Commonwealth Fund Fellowship); LLM; served in the Royal Artillery, 1955-1957; 2nd Lieutenant; called to the Bar, Lincoln's Inn, 1963; Mansfield scholar; Trustee of the Runnymede Trust from 1969; Special Adviser to the Home Secretary (Roy Jenkins), 1974-1976; involved in writing two White Papers on sexual and racial discrimination; Queen's Counsel (QC), 1975; Standing Advisory Commission on Human Rights, 1975-1977; Member of the Board of Overseers, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1978-1989; Irish Bar, 1983; Honorary Visiting Professor, University College London, from 1983; called to the Bar of Northern Ireland, 1984; Member of the Board of Governors, James Allen's Girls' School, 1984-1994, and Chairman, 1987-1991; Bencher, Lincoln's Inn, 1985; Member of the American Law Institute from 1985; Recorder, 1987-1993; President, Interights, from 1991; Chairman of the Runnymede Trust, 1991-1993; Visiting Professor of Public Law, University College London, from 1992; created Baron Lester of Herne Hill (Life Peer, Liberal Democrat), 1993; QC (Northern Ireland); Member of the Court of Governors, London School of Economics; Member of the International Law Association Committee on Human Rights; Member of Council, Policy Studies Institute; Member of Council, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies; Governor, British Institute of Human Rights; delivered various lectures in the UK and USA; interests include human rights law and administrative and public law. Publications: Justice in the American South (Amnesty International, 1964); as co-editor, Shawcross and Beaumont on Air Law (3rd edition, 1966); as co-editor, Policies for racial equality (Fabian Society, London, 1967); edited Roy Jenkins' Essays and speeches (Collins, London, 1967); as co-author, Race and Law (1972); contributor to British Nationality, Immigration and Race Relations, in Halsbury's Laws of England (4th edition, 1973); Leading counsel's opinion on the proposed amendments to the Equal Pay Act 1970: European and community law (1983); as co-author, Equal pay for work of equal value: law and practice (1984); The Changing Constitution, ed Jeffrey Jowell and Dawn Oliver (1985); A British Bill of Rights (1990); The crisis facing human rights in Europe: does the British government really care? (1993); as co-author, What price Hansard? (1994).

Born, 1936; educated St Olave's and St Saviour's Grammar School; national service, Royal Navy; University College London (UCL), (BSc, PhD, DSc); worked under Patricia Clarke researching microbial enzymes, UCL; transferred to the Department of Chemical Engineering, UCL; Lecturer in Biochemical Engineering, UCL 1963-1972; Reader in Enzyme Technology, 1972-1979; Professor of Biochemical Engineering, UCL, 1979; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1991; died, 1998.

George Grote was born in Kent in November 1794, the eldest of eleven children. His father was a banker. At school George had a genuine love of learning which survived the plunge into business at the bank that his father imposed on him at the age of sixteen. He pursued his interest in classical reading, took up German and philosophy, and extended his view of political economy. He was also musical. From 1822, Grote was committed to the project of writing a history of Greece. From 1826 to 1830 he was one of the promoters of the new University College London. Grote became interested in political reform when he visited Paris in 1830. He became known as a man of business and this helped him when he entered politics. He sat through three parliaments till 1841, when he refused to be nominated again. He wished to return to studying and finish his History of Greece which was completed in 1856 and consisted of twelve volumes. In 1843 he left the bank permanently. Grote published other writings during his lifetime, mainly about politics and philosophy. In 1849 he was re-elected to the University College London Council and in 1868 he became president of the University. During his life Grote received many honours: D.D.L. of Oxford in 1853; LL.D. of Cambridge in 1861; fellow of the Royal Society in 1857; and honorary Professor of Ancient History to the Royal Academy in 1859. He also received honours from other countries. He was offered a peerage by Gladstone in 1869 but declined it. He died in June 1871 and was buried in Westminster Abbey.

Harriet Grote née Lewin, biographer and wife of the historian George Grote (1794-1871), was born near Southampton in July 1792. She married George Grote in 1820. During their engagement Harriet studied hard so that she could share Grote's intellectual interests. Mrs Grote devoted herself to managing her husband's life, both practically and socially. They lived mainly in London and Surrey. Harriet Grote was always a diligent keeper of diaries and notebooks, as well as a good letterwriter, and having accumulated an abundance of materials, began to write a biographical account of her husband while he was still alive. This work was rapidly pushed forward on his death in 1871, and she herself had already reached her eightieth year, when it was published in 1873 as The personal life of George Grote. She had printed and published other material previously in her lifetime. She died at Shiere in Surrey, aged eighty-seven.

John Chaplyn Burnett was born in December 1863 to Charles Mountford Burnett MD and Emily Jane Chaplyn. He entered the Army in 1884 and became a Captain in 1893 and a Major in 1902. He received a DSO in 1900 and an OBE in 1919. He published Easy methods for the construction of magic squares (London, 1936).

Os Marron was a Lancashire poet (d1947). He was the son of a miner and cotton worker and one of a small number of working class poets writing in the 1940s. He died of tubercolosis.

Alex Comfort (1920-2000) was a gerontologist and author.

Petrie was born in Charlton and educated privately. He worked on many excavation sites, mostly in Egypt. He was Edwards Professor of Egyptology at University College London from 1892 to 1933, and Emeritus Professor from 1933. He published many works on excavation. Petrie was knighted in 1923.

John Ruskin was born 8 February 1819. He was educated privately, then went to Christ Church Oxford, otaining his BA 1842 and MA in 1843. He was Rede Lecturer at Cambridge in 1867, and Slade Professor of Fine Art at Oxford from 1870 to 1879 and 1882 to 1884. He was an honorary member of the Royal Society of Painters in Watercolours, 1873. He was also a member of several foreign Academies. Ruskin produced numerous publications, many about painting and architecture. He died on 20 January 1900.

Eliza Davis was educated at private school and obtained her BA at London in 1897, and her MA in 1913. She went into teaching in 1898, being appointed Assistant Mistress at Bedford High School. She then moved on to Stepney Pupil Teachers' School in 1904 until 1908. From 1908 to 1912 she was Lecturer and Vice-Principal at Moorfields London County Council Training College. Then in 1914 she was appointed as a Research Assistant in the Department of History at University College London; in 1919 becoming Lecturer in the Sources of English History. In 1921 Davis moved to the University of London to become Reader in the History and Records of London; a post she held till 1940. She was Honorary Secretary to the Editorial Board of History from 1916 to 1922, and Editor from 1922 to 1934. She was also Honorary Librarian at the Institute of Historical Research from 1921 to 1923 and Acting Secretary from 1939 to 1940. She published some historical articles. She died in October 1943.

Loch , James , 1780-1855 , economist

The economist James Loch was born of Scottish parents in May 1780. In 1801 he became an advocate in Scotland and was called to the bar in England at Lincoln's Inn in 1806. After a few years he decided to abandon the law and went into estate management, becoming auditor to many eminent people. He was responsible for much of the policy regarding agricultural labourers and land in England and Scotland. The Sutherlandshire clearances between 1811 and 1820, when 15,000 crofters were removed from the inland to the seacoast districts, were carried out under Loch's supervision. In 1827 Loch entered parliament as the member for St Germains in Cornwall. He published a pamphlet on the improvements on the Sutherland estates in 1820, and in 1834 printed privately a memoir of the first Duke of Sutherland. He was a fellow of the Geological, Statistical and Zoological Societies, and a member of the committee of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. He was also a member of the Council of University College London. He died in June 1855, at his house in London.

Helsby , Thomas , fl 1882 , historian

An antiquary and local historian; revised and enlarged George Ormerod's The History of the County Palatine and City of Chester (first published, 1819) for its second edition (3 volumes, London, 1882); a member of Lincoln's Inn.

Alexander Murison was born in Aberdeenshire on 3 March 1847, and was educated at grammar school and the University of Aberdeen where he achieved an MA and a LLD. From 1869 to 1877 he was a master in English at an Aberdeen grammar school. Then in 1881 he became a barrister. He held the position of Professor of Roman Law, 1883-1925 (Emeritus from 1925), and of Jurisprudence, 1901-1925, at University College London. He was also Deputy Professor of Roman-Dutch Law, 1914-1924, and Dean of the Faculty of Laws, 1912-1924, at University College London; and Dean of the Faculty of Laws, 1914-1918, at the University of London. He was Deputy Regius Professor of Civil Law and Deputy Reader in Roman Law at Oxford University from 1915 to 1919. From 1916 to 1917 he was President of the Society of Public Teachers of Law. He was Senator of the University of London from 1921 to 1924. Murison spent some years on the political and literary staff of the 'Daily Chronicle' of India. In 1896 he stood in an election for the Lord Rectorship of Aberdeen University but marginally lost. He was editor of the 'Educational Times', 1902-1912. He was also an examiner for several universities. Murison published many books during his life, mostly on Roman law but also some on Scottish history. He married Elizabeth Logan in 1870 and had two sons. He died on 8 June 1934.

After obtaining a degree at Regents Park College in London, Sully went to Gottingen in 1867 to study for the London University MA. From 1869 to 1870 he was a classical tutor at the Baptist College, Pontypool. In 1871 he assisted John Morley, then Editor of the Fortnightly Review, with correspondence, proof-reading, etc, and he began to write for the Fortnightly and the Saturday Review. In 1873 Sully was first invited to contribute an article on aesthetics to the Encyclopaedia Britannica and in the following year Sensation and intuition was published. He subsequently contributed to articles to several journals, including The Academy, The Contemporary Review, The Cornhill Magazine, The Examiner, and Mind. In 1877 Pessimism was published. Sully became an Examiner in Logic and Philosophy at the University of London in 1878. The following year he was Lecturer in the Theory of Education at the Maria Grey Training College and the College of Preceptors. A series of publications followed: Illusions in 1881; Outlines of Psychology in 1884; A teachers's handbook of psychology in 1886; and The human mind in 1892. In 1892 Sully was elected to the vacant chair of Mind and Logic at University College London on the resignation of George Croom Robertson. In 1895 Studies of childhood and in 1902 An essay on laughter were published. In 1903 Sully resigned from his Professorship and in 1918 published My life and friends.

Augustus De Morgan was born in Madura in the Madras presidency, the son of a Colonel in the Indian army. Seven months after his birth his parents moved to England. The De Morgan children were brought up with the strict evangelical principles of their parents. Augustus was sent to various schools: he had a gift for drawing caricatures and for algebra. In February 1823 he entered Trinity College Cambridge to develop his already apparent mathematical ability, graduating in 1827. De Morgan had never definitely joined any church, and he refused to carry out his mother's wishes by taking orders. In the end he decided to become a barrister and he entered Lincoln's Inn. However, he did not take to the law. The new University College London was just being established and in February 1828 De Morgan was unanimously elected the first Professor of Mathematics there. He resigned this post in July 1831 in response to the Professor of Anatomy being dismissed without reason. In 1836 his successor was drowned and De Morgan offered himself as a temporary substitute. He was then invited to resume the Chair. The regulations concerning dismissal had been altered, so De Morgan accepted the post and was Professor for the next 30 years. He also sometimes took private pupils. Besides his professorial work, he served for a short period as an actuary and he often gave opinions on questions of insurance. He again resigned his Chair in November 1866 due to his view that personal religious belief of a candidate should not be taken into account in appointing a candidate for the vacant Chair of Mental Philosophy and Logic: others did not agree. De Morgan had many children, some of whom died before him. De Morgan himself died on 18 March 1871. In 1828 De Morgan had been elected a fellow of the Astronomical Society and he was also a member of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, contributing a great number of articles to its publications. He also wrote on mathematical, philosophical and antiquarian points. After De Morgan's death, his library, which consisted of about three thousand volumes, was bought by Lord Overstone who presented it to the University of London.In 1837 De Morgan married William Frend's daughter, Sophia Elizabeth.

Various

Unknown.

The Mosquito (Miskito) Coast (Costa de Mosquitos; Mosquito Kingdom; Mosquitia) is the region of Nicaragua and Honduras on the Atlantic coast, a lowland band c40 miles wide and c225 miles long. It was visited by Columbus in 1502, but Europeans had little contact with the area until the 17th century, when England established a protectorate over the Miskito Indians (1661). Spain, Nicaragua and the United States disputed this claim until the matter was finally settled by the occupation of the Mosquito Coast by the Nicaraguan government and by the Clayton-Bulwer Treaty of 1850 between the USA and Great Britain.

Robert Hodgson senior was British superintendent of the Mosquito Coast between 1740 and 1759.

Robert E Symons was literary executor of A E Housman.

Alfred Edward Housman: born, 1859; educated at Bromsgrove School, 1870-1877; passed as a scholar to St John's College Oxford, 1877; first class honours in classical moderations, 1879; MA; worked at home for the civil service examination and helped his former headmaster with teaching; Higher Division Clerk in the Patent Office, London, 1882-1892; found time for classical study and published his first paper, on Horace, 1882; became a member of the Cambridge Philological Society, 1889; Professor of Latin, University College London, 1892-1911; his publications after 1892 were largely concerned with Latin, rather than Greek, and included works on the chief Latin poets from Lucilius to Juvenal, particularly Propertius, Ovid and Manilius; first published verse in A Shropshire Lad, 1896; Professor of Latin, Cambridge University, and Fellow of Trinity College Cambridge from 1911; Honorary Fellow of St John's College Oxford, 1911; in poor health from 1932; Leslie Stephen lecturer at Cambridge, 1932; delivered a lecture on 'The Name and Nature of Poetry', 1933; refused the Order of Merit; died, 1936. Numerous publications on Housman include Laurence Housman's A E H (1937). Publications include: A Shropshire Lad (1896); Last Poems (1922); More Poems (1936) and Collected Poems (1939), published posthumously; editions of classical authors including Manilius Books I-V (1903-1930); various papers on classical subjects in the Journal of Philology, Classical Review, Proceedings and Transactions of the Cambridge Philological Society, American Journal of Philology and elsewhere.

Laurence Housman: born, 1865; brother of A E Housman; educated at Bromsgrove School; moved to London and studied art in Kennington, at the Lambeth School of Art, and later at South Kensington; introduced to Harry Quilter and wrote and drew for his short-lived Universal Review; introduced to Charles Kegan Paul, the publisher, who encouraged him to write; wrote for the Manchester Guardian and as art critic handled controversies including the Chantrey Bequest inquiry and dispute over the statues by (Sir) Jacob Epstein on the British Medical Association building, 1895-1911; also published poetry; published anonymously An Englishwoman's Love-Letters, at that time regarded as daring but which sold well, 1900; while working for the Manchester Guardian, began a career as a playwright, but his success was limited and his subject matter involved him in controversies on censorship with the Lord Chamberlain's office and his first play Bethlehem was banned for many years, although privately produced, 1902; his play Pains and Penalties (1911), about Queen Caroline, was for many years banned by the Lord Chamberlain but was later released on minor revision; took up the cause of woman's suffrage and was the centre of a disturbance in the central lobby of the House of Commons, 1909; a member of the men's section of the extremist Women's Social and Political Union, but left when militancy became violent rather than symbolic, 1912; became a pacifist during World War One, 1914-1918; supported the ideals of a League of Nations and proclaimed his views in a series of lectures in the USA, 1916; his plays about Queen Victoria were performed with great success when public interest in the royal family was at its peak, 1935, 1937; from 1924 lived at Street, Somerset; became a Quaker, 1952; died, 1959. Publications include: The Writings of William Blake (1893); Green Arras (1896); Spikenard (1898); Sheepfold (1918); Angels and Ministers (1921); The Little Plays of St Francis (1922); Trimblerigg (1924); The Life of HRH the Duke of Flamborough (1928); Victoria Regina (1934); his autobiography, The Unexpected Years (1937); his biography of his brother, A E H (1937).

Wilkinson , John , fl 1758

John Wilkinson was a student of Corpus Christi College Oxford.

Sir William Blackstone: born in London, 1723; English jurist; elected the first holder of a Chair (the Vinerian Professorship) of common law at Oxford, 1758; his lectures formed the basis of his influential Commentaries on the Laws of England (4 volumes, 1765-1769), describing the doctrines of English law, which became the basis of university legal education in England and North America; knighted, 1770; died at Wallingford, Oxfordshire, 1780.

Walter Bagehot, an economist and journalist, was born at Langport in Somerset in 1826. He went to school in Bristol, and in 1842 he entered University College London, where he became a good mathematician under Professor De Morgan. He also read very widely in all branches of general literature. Poetry, metaphysics and history were his favourite studies. Bagehot took his BA degree in the University of London, with a mathematical scholarship, in 1846 and then his MA in the same university in 1848, with the gold medal in intellectual and moral philosophy and political economy. He then began to read law. He was called to the bar in 1852 but decided not to pursue the law as his profession, but to join his father in his shipowning and banking business at Langport. Bagehot still had a passion for literature and contributed first to the Prospective Review and from 1855 onwards to the National Review (of which he was one of the editors), a series of essays which attracted attention by their brilliancy of style and lucidity of thought. For the last 17 years of his life, Bagehot edited The Economist newspaper which was established by the Rt Hon James Wilson. In 1858 Bagehot married Wilson's eldest daughter. Bagehot was a considerable authority on banking and finance, and was consulted by Chancellors of the Exchequer; but in the literary world he was even better known for his lively, vivid and humorous criticisms. He published many works including The English Constitution, Physics and Politics and Lombard Street; he also published a series of essays. Bagehot died in Langport in 1877.

Richard Weymouth, philologist and New Testament scholar, studied classics at University College London, taking his BA in 1846 and his MA in 1849. He was a Doctor of Literature at the University of London in 1868 and a Fellow of University College in 1869. He was Headmaster of Mill Hill School from 1869 to 1886. He joined the Philological Society in 1851. Weymouth was married twice; first, in 1852 to Louisa Sarah Marten, by whom he had three sons and three daughters, then in 1892 to Louisa Salter.

Reynolds , Michael , fl 1974

The Slade School of Fine Art at University College London was founded in 1871 for the teaching of professional artists.

No information on the author of this history could be found at the time of compilation.

Arthur Black was born in Brighton, the eldest of 8 children. His sister Constance, later Constance Garnett, was to become famous for her translations of the novels of Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky. Arthur Black studied mathematics under William Kingdon Clifford, Professor of Applied Mathematics at University College London. He was a favourite pupil of Clifford, who was impressed by Black's brilliance. He took his degree by private study and achieved his BSc in 1877. After this he worked as an army coach and tutor in Brighton, while pursuing his mathematical and philosophical interests. His marriage was allegedly unhappy. He took his own life in January 1893, having not published any of his mathematical work. The main focus of Black's work seems to have been an attempt to use his mathematical skills to develop a quantitative theory of evolution.

Olivia Stuart Horner was the goddaughter of William Paton Ker and they corresponded frequently. Ker was Quain Professor of English Language and Literature at University College London from 1889 to 1922. Ker died at Macugnaga in 1923 while on a walking tour of Italy: Olivia was one of his party. Olivia married Ernest Barker in 1927 and had one son, Nicholas, and one daughter, Anne. Ernest Barker was knighted in 1944 and died in 1960. Olivia died in May 1976.

Joel Hurstfield obtained his BA at University College London. He went on to become Assistant Lecturer and then Lecturer at University College Southampton from 1937 to 1940. He was Assistant Commissioner of the National Savings Committee in 1940; and in 1942 he became Official Historian in the Offices of the War Cabinet. In 1946 he was appointed Lecturer at Queen Mary College London. In 1951 he returned to University College London and was appointed Reader in Modern History in 1953, Professor of Modern History in 1959, Astor Professor of English History from 1962 to 1979; he was also a made a fellow in 1963. He published many writings, many of which were about Elizabethan England. Hurstfield died in November 1980.

Edward Ballard was born in Islington, London, on 15 April 1820. He attended University College London and qualified as a doctor. One of his lecturers at UCL was William Sharpey, Professor of Anatomy and Physiology from 1836 to 1874; another was Charles James Blasius Williams, Professor of Medicine from 1838 to 1848. Ballard went on to become a Medical Inspector of the Local Government Board. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society. He published 'Materia Medica' conjointly with Dr.Sir A.B.Garrod. Ballard died on 19 February 1897.

Born in Dublin, 1803; eldest son of William Stokes, MD, Regius Professor of Physic, Dublin, by his wife Mary Black; entered and left St Columba's College at Rathfarnham, County Dublin, 1845; his early sources included the Primer of the Irish Language of Denis Coffey (Irish teacher at St Columba's), John O'Donovan's Grammar of the Irish Language (published in 1845 at the expense of St Columba's), and Edward O'Reilly's Irish dictionary; entered Trinity College Dublin, 1847; graduated BA, 1851; became acquainted with the Irish antiquary George Petrie, the Irish scholar and topographer John O'Donovan, and the Irish scholar Eugene O'Curry, and laid a broad foundation for Irish learning; chose to devote himself to the study of the words and forms of the Irish language, regarding Irish literature as chiefly interesting in furnishing material for comparative philology; became friends with Rudolf Thomas Siegfried, a philologist from Tübingen, first assistant librarian of Trinity College (later Professor of Sanskrit and comparative philology); influenced by the publication of John Caspar Zeuss's Grammatica Celtica (1853), which opened a vast field of philological research pursued by Stokes until his death; took lessons in Irish from John O'Donovan, but never acquired its pronunciation; became a student of the Inner Temple, 1851; called to the bar, 1855; pupil of A Cayley, H M Cairns, and T Chitty; practised as an equity draftsman and conveyancer; received the gold medal of the Royal Irish Academy for A Mediæval Tract on Latin Declension (1860); went to Madras, 1862; later went to Calcutta; continued his Irish studies in India; reporter to the High Court, Madras; Acting Administrator-General, 1863-1864; Secretary to the Governor-General's Legislative Council; Secretary to the Government of India in the Legislative Department, 1865-1877; Companion of the Order of the Star of India, 1877; Law Member of the Council of Governor-General, 1877-1882; appointed President of the Indian Law Commission, 1879; drafted many Indian Consolidation Acts, the bulk of the codes of civil and criminal procedure, and other Acts; Companion of the Order of the Indian Empire, 1879; framed a scheme for collecting and cataloguing Sanskrit MSS in India; left India, 1882; for the rest of his life, resided chiefly in Kensington; an original fellow of the British Academy, 1902; foreign associate of the Institute of France; Honorary Fellow of Jesus College Oxford; Honorary DCL, Oxford; Honorary LLD Dublin and Edinburgh; honorary member, German Oriental Society; died in Kensington, 1909. Publications (philological) include: `Irish Glosses from a MS in Trinity College, Dublin', Transactions of the Philological Society of London (1859); A Mediæval Tract on Latin Declension, with Examples explained in Latin and the Lorica of Gildas, with the Gloss thereon and Glosses from the Book of Armagh (Irish Archæological and Celtic Society, Dublin, 1860); Goidelica. Old and early-middle-Irish glosses, prose and verse (Calcutta, 1866; 2nd edition London, 1872); edited Fis Adamnain (Simla, 1870); edited Felire Oengusso Celi De. The Martyrology of Oengus the Culdee (Royal Irish Academy, 1871; Henry Bradshaw Society, 1905); edited Three Middle-Irish Homilies on the lives of Saints Patrick, Brigit and Columba (Calcutta, 1877); edited Togail Troi (Calcutta, 1882); 'Celtic Declension', Transactions of the Philological Society (1885-1886); edited The Tripartite Life of St Patrick (2 volumes, Rolls Series, 1887); 'Lives of Saints from the Book of Lismore', Anecdota Oxoniensia (Oxford,1890); with Professor Bezzenberger, Urkeltischer Sprachschatz (1894); with Marianus Gorman, Felire hui Gormain. The Martyrology of Gorman (Henry Bradshaw Society, 1895); with John Strachan, Thesaurus Palæohibernicus. A collection of Old-Irish glosses, scholia, prose and verse (3 volumes, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1901-1910); with Professor Ernst Windisch, edited a series of Irische Texte (Leipzig, 1884-1909) including In Cath Catharda. The Civil War of the Romans. An Irish version of Lucan's Pharsalia, published posthumously by Windisch (1909); many smaller collections of Irish, Welsh and Breton glosses; papers on grammatical subjects; other editions and translations of Irish literature; edited the Cornish works Gwreansan Bys (1864), Beumans Meriasek. The Life of Saint Meriasek, Bishop and Confessor (London, 1872), and Middle-Breton Hours (Calcutta, 1876). Publications (legal) include: A Treatise on the Liens of Legal Practitioners (London, 1860); Powers of Attorney (London, 1861); edited Hindu Law Books (Madras, 1865); The Indian Succession Act (Calcutta, 1865); The Indian Companies' Act (1866); The older Statutes in force in India (1874); edited The Anglo-Indian Codes (2 volumes, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1887-1888), with supplements (1889-1891). Bibliography by Professor R I Best in Zeitschrift für celtische Philologie, viii, pp 351-406 (1911).

Sir John Reynolds was born at Romsey, Hampshire, the son of an independent minister. Reynolds received a general education from his father and then went to University College London to study medicine and become a physician. In 1851 he graduated MB in the University of London and obtained a scholarship and gold medal in medicine. In 1852 he took the degree of MD and began to practice in Leeds, but soon moved to London. In 1855 he was Assistant Physician to the Hospital for Sick Children, and in 1857 Assistant Physician to the Westminster Hospital. In 1859 he was elected a fellow of the College of Physicians. In the same year he was appointed Assistant Physician to University College Hospital. He became Professor of the Principles and Practice of Medicine at University College London in 1866, a post he held until 1878. From 1868 to 1870 he was also Dean of the Faculty of Medicine. In 1878 Reynolds was appointed Physician-in-Ordinary to the Queen's household. In 1869 he was elected a fellow of the Royal Society. He was created a baronet in 1895. He devoted much of his work to the study of nervous diseases, and in 1854 published an 'Essay on Vertigo'. He published many other papers. He was also the editor of 'System of Medicine' in five volumes, published from 1866 to 1879, a collection of essays on diseases. He was married, first, to Miss Ainslie, and secondly, to Frances, widow of C.J.C.Crespigny, but left no children. He died in London, after several weeks of illness.

J.P.Hill was born in Fifeshire in Scotland and was educated at the University of Edinburgh and the Royal College of Science, London. In 1892 he became a Demonstrator of Biology at the University of Sydney, and Lecturer on Embryology in 1904. From 1906 to 1921 he was Jodrell Professor of Zoology at University College London, and from 1921 to 1938 he became Professor of Embryology there. From 1938 he was Professor Emeritus. He was made a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1913. He published various papers on zoological subjects and on embryology. Hill died in May 1954.

Born in Hobart, Tasmania, the son of Salvation Army officers, 1911; educated at Ballarat and Melbourne High Schools; entered Melbourne University, where he came to specialise in physics, 1928; graduated with first class honours, 1931; took an MSc in physics; went to the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge, on an Exhibition of 1851 Overseas Scholarship, 1933; carried out experimental research in nuclear physics with Ernest Rutherford; returned to Melbourne as Research Physicist and Lecturer, 1935; during the Second World War, undertook war-related research in Melbourne and Sydney; Deputy Director, Radio Research Laboratory, Melbourne, 1942-1944; joined the British team working on the atomic bomb project in the USA, working on isotope separation in the group led by H S W Massey, 1944; Technical Officer, DSIR Mission to Berkeley, California, 1944-1945; Lecturer in the Department of Mathematics at University College London, 1945; appointed Reader, 1949; transferred to the Physics Department as Reader, 1950; Professor of Physics, 1960-1978; researched widely in atomic and nuclear physics, including the Auger effect and electronic and ionic impact phenomena; a founder member of the European K meson collaboration and prominent in the UCL Bubble Chamber group; strongly committed to the political left and sought rapprochement between the Soviet bloc and the West during the Cold War; with Bertrand Russell, C F Powell and J Rotblat, played an important role in the organisation of the first Pugwash Conference on Science and World Affairs at Pugwash, Nova Scotia, which brought together senior scientists from East and West to discuss the dangers of nuclear war, Jul 1957; the conference provided the model for a series of similarly organised Pugwash conferences on this and related topics; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1963; awarded the Joliot-Curie Medal of the World Peace Council, 1966; active in the work of the World Federation of Scientific Workers, of which he was President from 1971; awarded the Lenin International Peace Prize, 1972; Emeritus Professor of University College London, 1978; died, 1980. See Sir Harrie Massey & D H Davies, 'Eric Henry Stoneley Burhop', Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society, vol xxvii (1981), pp 131-152. Publications: with Philip B Moon, Atomic Survey. A short guide to the scientific and political problems of atomic energy [Birmingham, 1947]; with John Halsted, The Challenge of Atomic Energy (Lawrence & Wishart, London, 1951); with Sir Harrie Stewart Wilson Massey, Electronic and Ionic Impact Phenomena (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1952); The Auger Effect and other radiationless transitions (University Press, Cambridge, 1952); The Techniques of High Energy Physics ... An inaugural lecture delivered at University College, London, 23 January 1961 (published for the College by H K Lewis & Co, London, 1961); as editor, High energy physics (5 volumes, 1967-1972); with H S W Massey and H B Gilbody, Electronic and ionic impact phenomena (1969-1974); as editor, Selected papers of Cecil Frank Powell (1972); The social future of science [1975].

Margaret Murray was born in 1863, the youngest daughter of J C Murray, a businessman of Calcutta, and niece of the Reverend John Murray of Lambourn. She first entered University College London as a student in 1894, and in 1899 became a junior lecturer on Egyptology there. She was Assistant Professor of Egyptology at University College London from 1924 to 1935. She was a member of the Folk Lore Society from 1927 and President from 1953 to 1955. During her life she carried out many excavations in different parts of the world and published many books, mainly about Egypt. She died on 13 November 1963.

Born in Sydney, Australia, 1914; read Physics and Chemistry, University of Melbourne, -1937; Commonwealth of Australia Travelling Scholarship to England for a PhD at Cambridge University; worked on gas gangrene at University College Hospital Medical School; Rothamsted Experimental Station, Harpenden, Second World War; Rothamsted staff, 1945-1947; Lecturer, Biochemistry Department, University College London (UCL), 1947-1952; Reader, UCL, 1952-1963; Head of the Department of Biochemistry and Chemistry, St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College, 1963; Emeritus Professor of the University of London, 1982; died, 1993.

Keyes was born in Dartford in 1922, the son of an army officer. He was brought up largely by his grandfather and was educated at Dartford Grammar School, Tonbridge School and at Oxford University. He began to write poetry whilst at school, and at Oxford became friendly with the poet John Heath-Stubbs. He joined the army in 1942 as a lieutenant in the West Kent Regiment. He was killed in action in Tunisia during a raid on 19th April 1943. He was awarded the Hawthornden Prize posthumously in 1944.

Publications: Co-editor with Michael Meyer, Eight Oxford Poets (1941) which contains some of his own work; The Iron Laurel (1942); The Cruel Solstice (1943); Collected Poems (1945) with a Memoir by Michael Meyer.