Mostrar 15888 resultados

Registo de autoridade
Deacon , H G , fl 1918-1962 , teacher

Mr H G Deacon studied at Woolwich Polytechnic, and later went on to teach drawing and physics at the Polytechnic.

Garnett College

A Training College for Technical Teachers was opened in 1946 at North Western Polytechnic in North London as part of the Ministry of Education's emergency scheme for training teachers. In 1950 the College was separated from North Western Polytechnic and maintained by London County Council. The College was renamed Garnett College in 1953 after William Garnett, a former Secretary to the London County Council's Technical Education Board. In 1963 Garnett College was moved to Roehampton, continuing to run courses for students training to work in further and higher education. The College moved into two Georgian villas: Mount Clare, which became the college's residential facility, and Downshire House, its administrative centre with a teaching block in the grounds. In 1978 Garnett became responsible for most of a further adjacent house, Manresa House, which was used for teaching.

By the 1980s Garnett College had about 500 students at Roehampton and about the same number studying part-time and attending various colleges in the south of England or Garnett's annexe in West Square near Elephant and Castle.The College ran a one year or equivalent course leading to a Teacher's Certificate for further education teachers, with some students full-time, others taking sandwich courses and some day-release students. Students were normally over 25 and already professionally qualified in the subjects they would teach or were already teaching. Garnett also offered a range of courses in teacher training unique to the College, leading to University of London diplomas, MA, or CNAA B.Ed. (Council for National Academic Awards). With a student-staff ration of 8 to 1 the college was considered expensive to maintain, and was one of only four further education teacher training colleges in the country. With the support of the Inner London Education Authority, Thames Polytechnic negotiated a merger with Garnett College in 1986. By 1990 all the students from Garnett College had been moved to Thames Polytechnic's Avery Hill site and a new site at Wapping.

Rhoda Frances Moss Herbert attended Avery Hill College, a London County Council teacher training college for women in Eltham, from 1917 to 1919. On leaving Avery Hill she was employed by London County Council, teaching at Ancona Road Boys' School. She was head teacher at Goresbrook Road Junior School, Barking in the 1920s and head teacher of the village school in Freshfield, Lancashire from 1934 to 1942. She taught at Orpington Secondary School for Girls in Kent from 1942 to 1947 and was Head of Grove County Secondary Girls' School, Gosport from 1947 to 1963.

Kellaway , E Myra , fl 1935-1937 , student teacher

E Myra Kellaway attended Avery Hill College, a London County Council teacher training college for women in Eltham, from 1935 to 1937. Her father owned a photographic business in Sidcup, Kent.

Keyes , Sidney Arthur Kilworth , 1922-1943 , poet

Keyes was born in Dartford in 1922, the son of an army officer. He was brought up largely by his grandfather and was educated at Dartford Grammar School, Tonbridge School and at Oxford University. He began to write poetry whilst at school, and at Oxford became friendly with the poet John Heath-Stubbs. He joined the army in 1942 as a lieutenant in the West Kent Regiment. He was killed in action in Tunisia during a raid on 19th April 1943. He was awarded the Hawthornden Prize posthumously in 1944.
Publications: Co-editor with Michael Meyer, Eight Oxford Poets (1941), which contains some of his own work; The Iron Laurel (1942); The Cruel Solstice (1943); Collected Poems (1945) with a Memoir by Michael Meyer.

McMillan , Margaret , 1860-1931 , physical educator

The sisters Margaret and Rachel McMillan were Christian Socialists active in British politics and in campaigning for better education and health for poor children. They were born in 1860 and 1859 to a Scottish family, and educated in Inverness. In 1888 Rachel joined Margaret in London, where Margaret was employed as a junior superintendent in a home for young girls. She found Rachel a similar job in Bloomsbury. The sisters attended socialist meetings in London where they met William Morris, H M Hyndman, Peter Kropotkin, William Stead and Ben Tillet, and began contributing to the magazine Christian Socialist. They gave free evening lessons to working class girls in London, and in doing so became aware of the connection between the girls' physical environment and their intellectual development.

In October 1889, Rachel and Margaret helped the workers during the London Dock Strike. In 1892 they moved to Bradford, touring the industrial regions speaking at meetings and visiting the homes of the poor. As well as attending Christian Socialist meetings, the sisters joined the Fabian Society, the Labour Church, the Social Democratic Federation and the newly formed Independent Labour Party (ILP).

Margaret and Rachel's work in Bradford convinced them that they should concentrate on trying to improve the physical and intellectual welfare of slum children. In 1892 Margaret joined Dr James Kerr, Bradford's school medical officer, to carry out the first medical inspection of elementary school children in Britain. Kerr and McMillan published a report on the medical problems that they found and began a campaign to improve the health of children by arguing that local authorities should install bathrooms, improve ventilation and supply free school meals.

The sisters remained active in politics and Margaret McMillan became the Independent Labour Party candidate for the Bradford School Board. Elected in 1894 she was now in a position to influence what went on in Bradford schools. She also wrote several books and pamphlets on the subject including Child Labour and the Half Time System (1896) and Early Childhood (1900). In 1902 Margaret joined her sister Rachel in London. The sisters joined the recently formed Labour Party and worked closely with leaders of the movement including James Keir Hardie and George Lansbury. Margaret continued to write books on health and education, publishing Education Through the Imagination (1904) followed by The Economic Aspects of Child Labour and Education (1905). The two sisters were prominent in the campaign for school meals which eventually led to the 1906 Provision of School Meals Act.

Margaret and Rachel worked together in London to obtain medical inspection for the city's school children. In 1908 they opened the country's first school clinic in Bow. This was followed by the Deptford Clinic in 1910 that served a number of schools in the area. The clinic provided dental help, surgical aid and lessons in breathing and posture. The sisters also established a Night Camp where slum children could wash and wear clean nightclothes. The Girls' Camp was at 353 Evelyn Street, and the Boys' Camp at 24 Albury Street, Deptford. In 1914 the sisters decided to start an Open-Air Nursery School and Training Centre in Peckham, and within a few weeks there were thirty children at the school ranging in age from eighteen months to seven years. As the Deptford Clinic developed, so did the the training provision for teachers and in 1919 it was accorded recognition by the Board of Education as a training centre for nursery staff.

Rachel died in 1917. Margaret continued to run the Peckham Nursery and served on the London County Council. She continued to write on teaching and schools, producing a series of influential books that included The Nursery School (1919) and Nursery Schools: A Practical Handbook (1920). The teaching at Deptford continued to expand and, with financial help from Lloyds of London, new buildings in Creek Road, Deptford, were opened to continue to train nurses and teachers. The Rachel McMillan Teacher Training College, named in honour of her sister, was opened on 8th May, 1930. Students took a three year full-time course leading to a Froebel Certificate. In 1961 London County Council took over management of the College and an annexe on New Kent Road previously occupied by Garnett College was opened. Courses at the annexe focused on nursery, infant or junior teaching, leading to a London University Certificate in Education after a four-year part-time course. In 1976 the College was incorporated into Goldsmiths' College, and courses were moved from Deptford to Goldsmiths' main building at New Cross. Courses at the New Kent Road annexe became part of the Polytechnic of the South Bank. From 1980 onwards Goldsmiths' Science Departments were moved to the old Rachel McMillan building, which was refurbished and converted into laboratories. When Goldsmiths' became a School of the University of London in 1988 Science teaching was transferred to Thames Polytechnic, and the Rachel McMillan building was given over to the Polytechnic.

Martina Bergman Osterberg was a Swedish woman and an early supporter of women's suffrage in Sweden. She trained at the Royal Central Gymnastic Institute in Stockholm, and was appointed Superintendant of Physical Education in Girls' and Infants' Schools by the London School Board in 1881. She founded a college for girls in Hampstead in 1885, known as the Hampstead College of Physical Training. Teacher training was the central activity of the College, following the scientific method of the Swedish teacher Per Henrik Ling. The students were taught anatomy, physiology, hygiene, massage and remedial exercises. Corsets, which most women regarded as an essential garment, were not worn by the students and gym tunics were designed for the College in 1892. The design was adopted by most other schools in the country and became standard school uniform. Games and sports became a principal activity of the College, with students taking part in swimming, tennis and fives from the opening, and soon after fencing and cricket.

In 1895 Madame Osterberg transferred her college and the 27 students to Kingsfield, a large country house near Dartford. Activities continued much as before, with the addition of a track which was used for running, marching and cycling. Basketball was adapted at the College for soft surfaces, and given the name netball. By 1904 lacrosse was also introduced. On her death in 1915 the trustees and Committee of Management continued to run the College much as Madame Osterberg herself had done so.

In 1919 a third year was added to the College course, allowing students to specialise in specific subjects. In 1936 Dartford began an association with the University of London with students able to work for the University's Diploma in Theory and Practice of Physical Education. Increasing numbers of students led the college to expand, opening Oakfield Hall and hostel and acquiring 28 acres of land for more playing fields. During the Second World War the College was evacuated to Cornwall, and at the same time became Dartford College of Physical Education. The College became grant-aided, and in 1960 was transferred to the management of London County Council (LCC), when the Committee of Management was replaced by a Governing Body. In 1968 the LCC began plans to increase student numbers from 165 to 750. A three year course was also introduced to train teachers for general teaching in primary and middle schools, but the College continued its emphasis on games playing and training physical education teachers.

Dartford College amalgamated with Thames Polytechnic in 1976. By 1979 the PE course for women teachers of sports and gymnastics was closed, and by 1986 teacher training at Dartford had ceased. Thames Polytechnic had located the Faculties of the Built Environment and of Education and Movement Studies at Dartford by 1985.

South West London College

A number of institutions amalgamated to create South West London College in 1966. A Branch Institute of Battersea Polytechnic was opened in 1901 at Tooting to serve the Balham and Tooting area. Balham Commercial Institute moved to Tooting Broadway in 1935 and offered evening courses. The Clapham Junction Commercial Evening Institute amalgamated with Balham Commercial Institute and became the Balham and Tooting College of Commerce in 1957. The College comprised two departments, professional studies and social and general studies. In 1961 London County Council included the College among its seven commercial colleges designated for advanced work, and in 1966 it was renamed South West London College. The College specialised in degrees and diplomas in accountancy, business and management studies, with the first full time course offered in 1967. By 1991 a range of sub-degree level work was offered along with management courses. The College was designated a Higher Education Centre under the Education Reform Act 1988 and in 1990 planned to merge with Thames Polytechnic in order to attract greater numbers of students. Thames planned to move the College to Manresa House in Roehampton from its Tooting Broadway site. South Bank Polytechnic also proposed a merger, but the College was dissolved by the Secretary of State for Education in 1991. Students were dispersed to a number of colleges: South Bank Polytechnic, Thames Polytechnic, City of London Polytechnic, Kingston Polytechnic, Polytechnic of Central London and the Polytechnic of North London. Staff were amalgamated with South Bank Polytechnic and Thames Polytechnic.

Thames Polytechnic

Thames Polytechnic was designated on 1 May 1970 as a result of the government's White Paper A Plan for Polytechnics and Other Colleges, published in 1966. This outlined the arrangements for implementing the government's policy for a dual system of higher education, divided by the binary line, first outlined by Anthony Crosland, Secretary of State for Education, in a speech at Woolwich Polytechnic in 1965. The polytechnics in the public sector would provide vocational, professional and industrially-based courses, some for degrees awarded by the Council of National Academic Awards (CNAA), some at sub-degree level, and some to provide a second chance for those who had missed the opportunity for further education on leaving school.

In 1968 three departments of Hammersmith College of Art and Building, Architecture, Landscape Architecture and Surveying had amalgamated with Woolwich Polytechnic, and the institution became Thames Polytechnic in 1970. During the 1970s Thames concentrated on the teaching of a wide range of subjects at an advanced level, although unlike universities was unable to grant its own degrees. These were awarded by the CNAA for courses which required CNAA approval, and were reviewed by a peer group drawn from industry and other polytechnics and universities. Many students took sandwich courses, and several CNAA courses were vocational in nature.

Dartford College, a teacher training college which had been founded in and specialised in training women sport and gymnastics teachers, amalgamated with Thames Polytechnic on 1 August 1976. The amalgamation was the result of government policy for reorganising teacher training colleges, set out in a White Paper in 1972 Education: A Framework for Expansion, which aimed to reduce the numbers of students training as teachers and required smaller training colleges to form closer associations with other institutions or expand their course range. Teacher training at Dartford was restructured to form the Faculty of Education and Movement Studies, but by 1979 the PE course for women teachers of sports and gymnastics was closed and by 1986 teacher training at Dartford had ceased. The Department of Landscape Architecture, previously part of Hammersmith Polytechnic, was moved to the Dartford campus in 1979, and was followed two years later by Architecture, Civil Engineering and in 1985 by the School of Surveying, creating a Faculty of the Built Environment.

During 1980-1 there was a gradual introduction of a modular scheme at Thames Polytechnic, offering a limited number of study units to be selected by students relating to their core subject, eventually becoming known as credit accumulation. The separation of full-time, part-time and sandwich students was abandoned, and by 1983-4 nearly every course admitted part-time students. Thames also aimed to increase the number of students, and in 1979-80 over 1000 first year students were recruited, the highest ever number, and recruitment for engineering, mathematics and science courses was high, against national trends.

Avery Hill College of Education, a teacher training college for women established in 1906, merged with Thames Polytechnic in 1985. Avery Hill had resisted plans for mergers and retained its independence for several years, but in line with the Inner London Education Authority's proposals and a general review of Advanced Further Education the idea of amalgamation was again raised in 1983. Thames was keen on the merger as an opportunity to improve the polytechnic's chances of becoming a university. On the merger Avery Hill became Thames Polytechnic's Faculty of Education and Community Studies.

Thames Polytechnic continued its programme of expansion by merging with Garnett College, a training college for technical teachers at Roehampton established in 1946, in 1986. With a student-staff ratio of 8 to 1 the college was considered expensive to maintain, and by 1985 the Inner London Education Authority was encouraging Garnett to merge. Thames Polytechnic was among the many institutions who had approached Garnett College with a view to merging, including South Bank Polytechnic and Roehampton Institute. With the support of the Inner London Education Authority, a merger with Thames Polytechnic was negotiated in 1986. Garnett became a new faculty of the polytechnic and then the School of Post-Compulsory Education and Training. By 1990 all the students from Garnett College had been moved to Thames Polytechnic's Avery Hill site and a new site at Wapping, and the two education faculties of the polytechnic were integrated to become one Faculty of Education.

In 1989 the science departments of the City of London Polytechnic and Goldsmiths' College were also transferred to Thames Polytechnic. Goldsmiths' had become a School of the University of London in 1988, and this was partly dependent on Goldsmiths' disposing of its science work. The City of London Polytechnic had found the numbers of students recruited to its science courses dropping and the courses became an economic liability. Thames acquired Goldsmiths' Deptford campus and City's Shadwell campus through the merger, as well as a new School of Earth Sciences from the geology departments of City and Goldsmiths'. Goldsmiths' former campus in Deptford, the Rachel McMillan buildings, was taken over by the School of Environmental Sciences in 1988-9.

In 1990 West Kent College at Tonbridge became an Associated College to Thames Polytechnic, as Thames aimed to increase higher and further education opportunities for the local community. Successful students at West Kent were to be guaranteed places at Thames and programmes of a Higher National Diploma Course in Business Studies and Finance at West Kent were validated by Thames. In 1991 parts of South West London College were transferred to Thames Polytechnic when the College was dissolved after initially seeking a merger with Thames. The transfer of staff and students enabled Thames to set up a law school within the Faculty of Business, with law degree courses at Avery Hill and business administration courses at Roehampton.

The Education Reform Act of 1988 had removed polytechnics from the control of local authorities and transferred their funding to a new body, the Polytechnics and Colleges Funding Council (PCFC). PCFC was replaced in 1992 when the Higher and Further Education Act created a single Higher Education Funding Council, removing any remaining distinctions between polytechnics and universities. Subsequently Thames Polytechnic became the University of Greenwich in 1992. Plans for the merger of Thames Polytechnic with Thames College of Health Care Studies, itself a merger of three local nursing and midwifery training schools, began in the late 1980s as a result of the Department of Health's objective to overhaul the training of nurses, midwives and health visitors by increasing the academic content of training. The College officially merged with the newly designated University of Greenwich on 1 January 1993, becoming a full faculty of the University.

Twocock , Margaret , fl 1918-1964 , teacher

Margaret Twocock attended Avery Hill College from 1923 to 1925. She was Deputy Head Mistress at Ruxley Manor Junior School from 1955 to 1964, when she retired.

University of Greenwich

Thames Polytechnic was designated in 1970 following the merger of Hammersmith Departments of Architecture, Landscape Architecture and Surveying with Woolwich Polytechnic in 1969. Other mergers followed, Dartford College of Education in 1976, Avery Hill College of Education 1985 and Garnet College in 1987. In 1988 science teaching was transferred from Goldsmiths' (McMillan Building, Deptford) and from City Polytechnic to Thames Polytechnic to become the School of Earth Sciences. South West London College, Wandsworth was dissolved in 1991 and many staff and students transferred to Thames Polytechnic.

In 1992 Thames Polytechnic was redesignated as the University of Greenwich following the Higher and Further Education Act (1992), which created a single funding council, the Higher Education Funding Council, for England and abolished the remaining distinctions between polytechnics and universities. The transformation of the polytechnic into a university gave access to a wider range of research funding, both from government and industry. As a result the number of research projects at the university quickly rose, from 41 in 1992 to over 300 in 1995, reflecting the increase of external income from �2.5 million to over �6 million in 1995 and subsequent increase in postgraduate students. The new university had seven campuses and over 14,000 students, and various plans to reorganise the university's structure and geographical spread were considered. In 1993 the first stage of the new student village at Avery Hill was opened, and in 1994 Woolwich public swimming baths were acquired as a new Students' Union headquarters.

Discussions began in 1992 on a merger with the Natural Resources Institute (NRI) based at Chatham. A settlement was reached with the NRI in 1996 and 360 NRI staff joined the University, and a campus for the School of Earth Science and School of Engineering was established at Chatham.

After a successful partnership with West Kent College at Tonbridge during the 1990s, Greenwich established partnerships with a further seven colleges in south-east London, Kent and Essex as Associated Colleges. The university and college worked closely together to develop courses and students from the colleges were able to transfer to Greenwich at the end of their courses. Looser arrangements were also put in place with several 'linked' colleges, with the development of joint courses such as the MSc course in osteopathy developed with the European School of Osteopathy, Maidstone.

In 1995 a long leasehold was secured by the University of the Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital and Devonport Nurses Home at Greenwich and the University made a bid for the Royal Naval College, Greenwich. The Government accepted the University's proposals for the Royal Naval College as the preferred option and between 1998 and 2001 the University relocated five schools to make the Maritime Greenwich Campus the principal centre of the University.

In 2002 the University decided to consolidate on three campuses, Greenwich, Avery Hill and Medway and the Dartford and Woolwich campuses were closed, although Woolwich continues as an administrative centre for the University.

Woolwich Polytechnic

Woolwich Polytechnic opened on 28 September 1891, at 47 William Street, London. It was the second Polytechnic in the country to be opened after Regent Street Polytechnic. Men and women were admitted to study 38 subjects, although women were prohibited from studying a few subjects, including engineering and English Language. Classes were held in the evenings, and after five weeks 504 students had attended.

Quintin Hogg, a central figure in the polytechnic movement, had founded the Young Men's Christian Institute (later Regent Street Polytechnic) in 1873. Francis (Frank) Dibben, a former student at the Institute, moved to Woolwich in 1884 to become a fitter at the Royal Arsenal, and began to work on founding a similar institution there. Dibben gained local support for his scheme, and in 1888 the Polytechnic Athletics Club was formed. After several failed attempts to raise money for the planned Polytechnic, T A Denny, an enthusiastic supporter, purchased a house and grounds in William Street in 1890. A gymnasium was built in the garden and several clubs formed, including a Cycling Club and Christian Workers' Union.

A Council was formed in 1891, comprising representatives from each of the sections of the Institute and trustees' representatives. Quintin Hogg was Chairman. An Education Committee was also established to choose subjects for study, and included Dibben, Hogg and those who were to become teachers at the Polytechnic. For the 1892-3 session classes were offered in 80 subjects, with music and dressmaking for women among the subjects added. In 1892-3 new chemistry laboratories were built, and the adjacent house purchased for the Polytechnic. A new hall was built and a library established. The City Parochial Foundation (CPF) and Technical Education Board (TEB) of the London County Council both gave Woolwich Polytechnic grants for the first time in 1893, but the Polytechnic closed in July 1894, having run out of money. The Technical Education Board took over the management of the institute and the Polytechnic re-opened in September.

The Polytechnic was given a new charter in 1895, stating that 'the object of this institution is the promotion of the industrial skill, general knowledge, health and well-being of young men and women belonging to the poorer classes'. Despite the financial and management difficulties of the Polytechnic, during the 1894-5 session 518 men and 199 women attended classes in science, technical and commercial subjects and in the Art department. Chronically short of space, the Polytechnic began to expand, with new chemical and physical laboratories, an engineering laboratory, art room and two large classrooms built by 1898, doubling the floor area. By 1899 subjects offered included book-keeping, typewriting and elocution, and 1,111 students attended the Polytechnic. The teaching of engineering was expanded under the principals of the Polytechnic, who believed that Woolwich should aim to excel in the subject as the Arsenal was the main employer in the district. Until 1904 Woolwich struggled to achieve Hogg's and Dibben's unified vision of Polytechnic education and combine the educational side, which dealt with students and the organisation of classes, and the social side, which organised social, sporting and religious activities. In 1904 the Head of the Social Side and pivotal figure in the founding of the Polytechnic, Frank Dibben, was dismissed and the Polytechnic concentrated on the provision of education, particularly in engineering and technical subjects.

In 1901 the Woolwich University Education Association was absorbed into the Polytechnic by forming classes to carry on the association's work, and members were granted equal privileges with Polytechnic students. In 1902-1903 compound courses were offered to encourage students to take three or four subjects, a trend which the Polytechnic fostered. From 1904 'trade lads' from the Arsenal were sent to the Polytechnic for an afternoon a week, as well as evenings. The scheme was the first 'day release' system in the country, and by 1912 the apprentices spend a day a week at Woolwich Polytechnic.

During the First World War the engineering workshops of the Polytechnic were kept open for the production of munitions, and war economy cooking classes and lectures in war time cookery were held by the Bread and Food Reform League. Major building works took place between 1914 and 1917, with older buildings demolished and a new school of Domestic Economy built, new rooms and workshops for the Engineering Department, School of Art, and Physics Department and rooms for clubs and societies of the Polytechnic. By 1919-20 numbers of students taking evening classes had risen to 2,032 and numbers were rising in the Polytechnic's three trade schools in engineering, dressmaking and ladies tailoring. By the 1920s there was a large increase in the number of students taking integrated courses, with 75% of all students by 1923.

The Academic Board was established in 1932 to advise on all aspects of the teaching of students taking internal degrees at the University of London, whilst the Technical Board acted in the same capacity for work at lower levels. In 1933 the Polytechnic gained full recognition by the University of London for the preparation of students for internal degrees. Part time day courses, some of which led to degrees, were offered for the first time in a variety of subjects and an electrical engineering department was established. In 1934 sandwich courses in engineering were launched, with local factories sponsoring employees to become students. The course lasted 2 years and students then sat the University of London BSc degree examinations. During the 1930s there were several extensions made to the Polytechnic, a new hall was opened in 1936, and new workshops, laboratories and lecture rooms built on newly purchased sites in 1936-1939. A new library was built in 1938-1939.

During the Second World War the technical schools and Junior Art School were evacuated to villages in Kent. When the expected bombing failed to materialise the schools were re-opened in London, but were then evacuated again to Gainsborough, Trowbridge and Northampton. At Woolwich officers and men of the Queen's Own Regiment were billeted in the gymnasium, and a barrage balloon unit established on the sports ground. Part-time day classes and sandwich courses continued, but the numbers of students dropped dramatically.

After the Second World War there was a rapid expansion of students, with a great demand for courses leading to degrees. New full-time courses were started for University of London general degrees and in physics, chemistry, mathematics, as well as the existing engineering courses. An Economics and Management Department was also established. By 1950 the majority of students were attending evening or part-time day courses, and of the full-time students the main studies were mathematics, the sciences and engineering. About a quarter of all students and two thirds of the full-time students were taking degree courses. Woolwich continued to develop its sandwich courses in the 1950s, offering the new Diploma of Technology in mechanical and electrical engineering, a four year course with at least one year of industrial training.

The Government's White Paper on advanced technological training was published in 1956, and proposed to nominate selected colleges as colleges of advanced technology, to receive funding to improve facilities. The large amount of lower level work at Woolwich meant that it was designated a regional college rather than a college of advanced technology. The governors had already started to remove some of the lower level work by discarding the Girls' Technical School and concentrate on science and technical subjects, and this policy was continued. The School of Art, which appeared in the prospectus in 1891, transferred to London County Council Evening Institute in 1962. Some courses of the School of Domestic Economy, which had opened in September 1894, were transferred to Woolwich College in 1957, and the school was closed in 1961. By 1962 lower-level courses (GCEs and ONC work) had been transferred to nearby colleges, and the Polytechnic had started postgraduate and external degree courses for the University of London. By 1965 all lower-level work had been transferred to other institutions. By the late 1960s the transformation of departments to having full-time students working for degrees or equivalent, and to part-time students working for Higher National Certificates or above, was completed. The establishment of the Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA) in 1964 (replacing the National Council for Technological Awards) allowed the scope of degree subjects offered by Woolwich and similar institutions to be extended to include the social sciences and the arts.

After the publication of the Government's White Paper in 1966 on polytechnics and colleges Woolwich continued to work towards more degree courses, reshape its Governing Body and also considered sub-degree work, in line with Government policy on the new polytechnics. Woolwich decided to gradually reduce its University of London courses and concentrate on its four year CNAA courses, preferable to students because they were sandwich courses and could be industry-sponsored. Three faculties of Science, Engineering and Business Studies, Management and Humanities were established for the 1969-70 session. In 1968 three departments of Hammersmith College of Art and Building, Architecture, Landscape Architecture and Surveying amalgamated with Woolwich Polytechnic as part of the Ministry's policy for the expansion of most of the new polytechnics. Woolwich Polytechnic and the Hammersmith departments were designated Thames Polytechnic in 1970.

Woolwich Polytechnic Day Schools

Woolwich Polytechnic founded a number of day schools and junior technical schools, partly in response to the fact that much of its premises was left empty during the day as much of the teaching and activities took place in the evenings. In 1895 a School of Domestic Economy for Girls was opened with a class of 45. The School closed in 1920 as the number of girls declined. In September 1897 a day school for boys was opened, Woolwich Polytechnic Boys Secondary School. It was the first secondary school in Woolwich, and started with 72 boys, rising to 102 by 1897. In September 1899 girls were admitted to the Woolwich Polytechnic Girls Secondary School and a mistress and a headmaster, T F Bowers, were appointed. At first the school was divided into two sections, technical and commercial, but the commercial side proved more popular and the Governors planned to expand this. The school was registered as a Science School so it would qualify for the Technical Education Board's grants. These two schools operated as Woolwich Polytechnic Day Secondary School Department, with one Headmaster assisted by a Senior Master and Senior Mistress. The headmaster was still responsible to the Principal of Woolwich Polytechnic, but had considerable powers, including the right to dismiss students. In 1912 the girls moved out to their own school in Plumstead, which became known as the County School, Plumstead, and subsequently Kings Warren and then Plumstead Manor School. The Boys School moved to a new building in 1928 as the Shooters Hill County Secondary School. A third secondary school, the Junior Art School, was also established in the 1920s, and transferred to London County Council in 1956.

Two technical schools were established in 1906 for 15-19 year olds to train apprentices, one of science and engineering (closed in 1908), and one of commerce. In 1913 the Commercial School stopped admitting boys, and in 1918 the school closed as the numbers of girls applying dropped. A trade school in dressmaking was also established, with 50 girls starting initially. From 1904 'trade lads' from the Arsenal were sent to the Polytechnic for an afternoon a week, as well as evenings. The scheme was the first 'day release' system in the country. A daytime Engineering Trade School, Woolwich Polytechnic Junior Technical School for Boys, was established in 1912 to train boys for jobs at engineering works. The School became the responsibility of London County Council in 1956, as Woolwich Polytechnic Boys School. Woolwich Polytechnic Junior Technical School for Girls opened in April 1906 and became part of Kidbrooke Comprehensive in 1954.

Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland

Although there were a few earlier attempts, it is generally accepted that the first public demonstration of the feasibility of general anaesthesia took place in Boston, USA, in October 1846. The agent was ether and, as the news spread, anaesthetics were soon administered in Britain, and in continental Europe. Surgeons soon realised that the use of anaesthetics allowed the scope of surgery to expand beyond being a treatment of last resort. Once the possibility had been demonstrated the search began for more pleasant and potent agents. Further inhalation agents were introduced, beginning with chloroform in 1847. Local anaesthetics were pioneered with the use of cocaine in eye surgery in 1884, followed by local infiltration, nerve blocks and then spinal and epidural anaesthesia. A further important innovation came in connection with the repair of facial wounds during World War One, with the control of the airway by a tube placed in the trachea, a technique that was elaborated and became standard after World War Two. The introduction of intravenous induction agents (barbiturates) avoided the unpleasantness of induction by inhalational agents. Muscle relaxants first came into use in the second half of the 1940s and improved agents were soon introduced. Drugs were developed with specific actions, so as to be more potent and less toxic. From the 1960s the range of the specialty developed beyond the operating theatre, so that its modern practitioners provide a range of care for patients, from consultation in the preoperative period to involvement in High Dependency and Intensive Care Units, emergency medicine, and acute and chronic pain management. Anaesthetics today forms the largest clinical specialty in the hospital sector of the National Health Service.

The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (AAGBI) was founded by Henry W Featherstone (1894-1967) of Birmingham (President of the Section of Anaesthetics of the Royal Society of Medicine, 1930-1931), who became its first President at the inaugural meeting at the premises of the Medical Society of London in 1932. It was founded at a period when specialist training in anaesthesia was virtually non-existent. One of the Association's objectives was to promote progress and safety in the practice of anaesthesia by improving the expertise, training and status of anaesthetists, so ensuring the safety and comfort of patients in the operating theatre. It now represents anaesthetists in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, and some overseas members, but although it is often consulted by government bodies it has no direct statutory powers. The maintenance of academic standards is the responsibility of the Royal College of Anaesthetists. At the time of its foundation the Association was the only representative organisation, and it played an important role in developments including the introduction of the first specialist qualification, the Diploma in Anaesthetics (DA) in 1935, and the expansion of the specialty during World War Two (1939-1945). Publication of its journal Anaesthesia began in 1946. It played a part in the founding of the Faculty of Anaesthesia of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (1947), which later became the Royal College of Anaesthetists. It was involved in negotiations about the status of the specialty preceding the inception of the National Health Service (1948); in the founding of the Faculty of Anaesthetists of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland (1959); and establishment of the Junior Anaesthetists' Group in 1967 (renamed the Group of Anaesthetists in Training in 1991). The Association holds scientific meetings and provides a forum for clinical and academic discussion; promotes and undertakes research; and promulgates its political views both independently and through the British Medical Association. In addition to the journal Anaesthesia it produces the newsletter Anaesthesia News. The Association was granted the right to bear arms by King George VI in 1945. The Association moved from its offices in the British Medical Association House, Tavistock Square, to new headquarters at no 9 Bedford Square, London, which was acquired in 1985 and opened in 1987. In 2002 its members numbered over 8,000.

The Association is headed by a Council, led by an elected President. Working Parties examine particular issues of relevance to the profession. The Association organises events, including seminars on professional issues as well as its Annual Scientific Meeting (yearly conference) and Winter Scientific Meeting. In addition to its journal it publishes guidelines on professional matters, and an annual report. It also makes grants, including research and travel grants, and awards, including medals and prizes. The Group of Anaesthetists in Training (GAT) caters for trainee anaesthetists, having its own committee, and specific seminars and Annual Scientific Meeting. The Linkman organisation was founded in 1974 as a means of transmitting information to and from AAGBI members. From 1976 Linkman meetings have been held annually, usually before the AGM and ASM. A Junior Linkman scheme was begun in 1985.

The Association administers the British Oxygen Company (BOC) Museum (A Charles King Collection of Historical Anaesthetic Apparatus), which originated with the collection of A Charles King (1888-1965), an engineer and instrument maker who specialised in anaesthetic apparatus from the early 1920s, a period of technical development in the specialty. Following a series of financial problems King's company was taken over by Coxeter's, which subsequently became part of the British Oxygen Company (BOC). King worked with leading anaesthetists in developing instruments and amassed a collection of equipment, which he donated to the Association of Anaesthetists in 1953 and which has subsequently been augmented by further acquisitions. The artefacts date from 1774 to the 1990s. The collection was moved from King's premises in Devonshire Street to the Royal College of Surgeons in 1965 and to the new premises of the Association of Anaesthetists at no 9 Bedford Square in 1987. The Association also rents accommodation at Bedford Square to other organisations including the Intensive Care Society and the Pain Society.

For further information, see Thomas B Boulton, The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland 1932-1992 and the Development of the Specialty of Anaesthesia (Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland, London, 1999). On the history of anaesthesia see also the website of the History of Anaesthesia Society: http://www.histansoc.org.uk

The Royal College of Anaesthetists (RCA) is a separate organisation which has statutory responsibility for maintaining professional standards, which it does by the inspection of hospital departments and by examination for higher qualifications, the Diploma in Anaesthetics (DA), and its own Fellowship (FRCA).

Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland

The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (AAGBI) was founded by Henry W Featherstone (1894-1967) of Birmingham (President of the Section of Anaesthetics of the Royal Society of Medicine, 1930-1931), who became its first President at the inaugural meeting at the premises of the Medical Society of London in 1932. It was founded at a period when specialist training in anaesthesia was virtually non-existent. One of the Association's objectives was to promote progress and safety in the practice of anaesthesia by improving the expertise, training and status of anaesthetists, so ensuring the safety and comfort of patients in the operating theatre. It now represents anaesthetists in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, and some overseas members, but although it is often consulted by government bodies it has no direct statutory powers. The maintenance of academic standards is the responsibility of the Royal College of Anaesthetists. At the time of its foundation the Association was the only representative organisation, and it played an important role in developments including the introduction of the first specialist qualification, the Diploma in Anaesthetics (DA) in 1935, and the expansion of the specialty during World War Two (1939-1945). Publication of its journal Anaesthesia began in 1946. It played a part in the founding of the Faculty of Anaesthesia of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (1947), which later became the Royal College of Anaesthetists. It was involved in negotiations about the status of the specialty preceding the inception of the National Health Service (1948); in the founding of the Faculty of Anaesthetists of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland (1959); and establishment of the Junior Anaesthetists' Group in 1967 (renamed the Group of Anaesthetists in Training in 1991). The Association holds scientific meetings and provides a forum for clinical and academic discussion; promotes and undertakes research; and promulgates its political views both independently and through the British Medical Association. In addition to the journal Anaesthesia it produces the newsletter Anaesthesia News. The Association was granted the right to bear arms by King George VI in 1945. The Association moved from its offices in the British Medical Association House, Tavistock Square, to new headquarters at no 9 Bedford Square, London, which was acquired in 1985 and opened in 1987. In 2002 its members numbered over 8,000.

Oxford Brookes University was initially commissioned jointly by the Association and the Royal College of Anaesthetists to videotape a series of interviews with eminent anaesthetists. Oxford Brookes continues to make the series commissioned by the Association on its own behalf.

Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland

The Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (AAGBI) was founded by Henry W Featherstone (1894-1967) of Birmingham (President of the Section of Anaesthetics of the Royal Society of Medicine, 1930-1931), who became its first President at the inaugural meeting at the premises of the Medical Society of London in 1932. It was founded at a period when specialist training in anaesthesia was virtually non-existent. One of the Association's objectives was to promote progress and safety in the practice of anaesthesia by improving the expertise, training and status of anaesthetists, so ensuring the safety and comfort of patients in the operating theatre. It now represents anaesthetists in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, and some overseas members, but although it is often consulted by government bodies it has no direct statutory powers. The maintenance of academic standards is the responsibility of the Royal College of Anaesthetists. At the time of its foundation the Association was the only representative organisation, and it played an important role in developments including the introduction of the first specialist qualification, the Diploma in Anaesthetics (DA) in 1935, and the expansion of the specialty during World War Two (1939-1945). Publication of its journal Anaesthesia began in 1946. It played a part in the founding of the Faculty of Anaesthesia of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (1947), which later became the Royal College of Anaesthetists. It was involved in negotiations about the status of the specialty preceding the inception of the National Health Service (1948); in the founding of the Faculty of Anaesthetists of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland (1959); and establishment of the Junior Anaesthetists' Group in 1967 (renamed the Group of Anaesthetists in Training in 1991). The Association holds scientific meetings and provides a forum for clinical and academic discussion; promotes and undertakes research; and promulgates its political views both independently and through the British Medical Association. In addition to the journal Anaesthesia it produces the newsletter Anaesthesia News. The Association was granted the right to bear arms by King George VI in 1945. The Association moved from its offices in the British Medical Association House, Tavistock Square, to new headquarters at no 9 Bedford Square, London, which was acquired in 1985 and opened in 1987. In 2002 its members numbered over 8,000.

Some of these photographic images were acquired for use in exhibitions by the Association and subsequently retained.

Smith , Roger , Bryce- , fl 1942-2000 , anaesthetist

Bachelor of Medicine; Bachelor of Surgery, 1942; MA, Oxford, 1943; Doctor of Medicine, 1955; Lecturer in Anaesthetics at the University of Oxford. Publications: with Gordon Ostlere, Anaesthetics for medical students (1976 and subsequent editions); edited, with J Alfred Lee, Practical regional analgesia (1976).

European Congress of Anaesthesiology

The European Congress of Anaesthesiology was first held in 1962 in Vienna and thereafter took place, under the aegis of the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists, in a different location every four years, including the Sixth Congress in London in 1982 hosted by the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland.

History of Anaesthesia Society

The History of Anaesthesia Society was founded in 1986. Its purpose is to promote the study of the history of anaesthesia and related disciplines and to provide a forum for discussion. It holds meetings in the summer and autumn and sometimes meetings with other organisations. It publishes its Proceedings and other works on the history of anaesthesia, and funds conservation projects such as the restoration of graves of eminent anaesthetists. For further information see its website: http://www.histansoc.org.uk

Intensive Care Society

Intensive care developed rapidly in the 1960s and an increasing number of hospitals established units to care for patients requiring more detailed observation and treatment than in standard wards, with a high ratio of medical staff to patients. Anaesthetists emerged as the dominant specialty among consultants in charge of intensive care units (ICUs) in the UK, given their skills in the care of acutely ill patients, in life support and patient comfort, and in caring for other physicians' patients. The Intensive Care Society was founded in 1970 on the initiative of Alan Gilston, Consultative Anaesthetist to the National Heart Hospital, London, having a multi-disciplinary membership. The Intensive Care Society is an organisation of doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals in the United Kingdom, membership of which is open to those with an interest in Intensive Care Medicine. There were over 2,000 members in 2002, largely but not exclusively anaesthetists. Through its Council (which meets six times a year) the Society provides advice to the Department of Health and NHS Executive on aspects of intensive care and to the Royal Colleges on provision of intensive care, staffing and training. Its educational activities include organising national and local meetings. It also produces guidelines on relevant topics and other publications including its Journal.

A J Juby was an anaesthetic instrument maker employed by the firm A Charles King Ltd and subsequently by the British Oxygen Company Ltd. A Charles King (1888-1965) was an engineer and instrument maker who specialised in anaesthetic apparatus from the early 1920s, a period of technical development in the specialty. Following a series of financial problems King's company was taken over by Coxeter's, which subsequently became part of the British Oxygen Company (BOC). King worked with leading anaesthetists in developing instruments and amassed a collection of equipment, which he donated to the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland in 1953 and which has subsequently been augmented by further acquisitions. The collection was moved from King's premises in Devonshire Street to the Royal College of Surgeons in 1965 and to the new premises of the Association of Anaesthetists at no 9 Bedford Square in 1987.

Wilkinson , David John , fl 1972-2000 , anaesthetist

MB, BS, London, 1972; Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England; Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians of London, 1971; Fellow of the Faculty of Anaesthetists, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1976; Consultant Anaesthetist, St Bartholomew's Hospital, London; Honorary Treasurer of the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland; formerly curator of the A Charles King Collection of Historical Anaesthetic Apparatus at the Association of Anaesthetists. Publications: 'A Charles King: a unique contribution to anaesthesia', Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, lxxx (Aug 1987), pp 510-14; edited, with A Marshall Barr and Thomas B Boulton, Essays on the history of anaesthesia (Royal Society of Medicine Press, 1996).

A Charles King (1888-1965) was an engineer and instrument maker who specialised in anaesthetic apparatus from the early 1920s, a period of technical development in the specialty. Following a series of financial problems King's company was taken over by Coxeter's, which subsequently became part of the British Oxygen Company (BOC). King worked with leading anaesthetists in developing instruments and amassed a collection of equipment, which he donated to the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland in 1953 and which has subsequently been augmented by further acquisitions. The artefacts date from 1774 to the 1990s. The collection was moved from King's premises in Devonshire Street to the Royal College of Surgeons in 1965 and to the new premises of the Association of Anaesthetists at no 9 Bedford Square in 1987. For further information see editorial on King in the British Journal of Anaesthesia, xxv, no 2 (Apr 1953); 'The A Charles King Collection of early anaesthetic apparatus', Anaesthesia, vol xxv, no 4 (Oct 1970).

Charles William Krohne was born in Prussia in 1823. He founded a business making surgical equipment in Blackfriars, London, at an unknown date. He was joined by his half-brother Henry Frederick Sesemann in 1860, when the partnership Krohne and Sesemann was formed. Krohne became a naturalised British subject in 1871. The business's premises were close to the London Hospital in Whitechapel, with which business was conducted. Further premises were opened in the West End of London, probably at the suggestion of Harley Street specialists who were consultants to the London Hospital. The West End premises became the head office and factory, although the workshops and fitting rooms were maintained at Whitechapel to serve patients at the London Hospital. The West End premises, at Duke Street, were rebuilt c1908, but later demolished by a bomb. Both partners were interested in anaesthetics: Krohne invented an inhaler for chloroform, and Sesemann invented the double spray bellows and other apparatus. Both administered chloroform to patients of Harley Street doctors. The business also acted as distributor for oxygen for medical purposes for the Brin's Oxygen Co (later the British Oxygen Co Ltd), supplying cylinders all over the country. In the 1890s Krohne wrote articles and letters concerning deaths under anaesthetics in the medical press under the nom-de-plume 'Pro Bono Publico'. Details of deaths under anaesthesia reported in the press in 1903-1904 were passed to him by a Fleet Street press association. Krohne died in 1904. The business was succeeded by Alfred Cox (Surgical) Ltd (later Cox Surgical).

Lee , John Alfred , 1906-1989 , anaesthetist

Born in Liverpool, 1906; educated at Taunton School, Somerset; studied at the University of Durham College of Medicine in Newcastle-upon-Tyne; qualified as a doctor, 1927; Resident Medical Officer at the Princess Mary Maternity Hospital and subsequently at the Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle; purchased a share of a partnership in Southend-on-Sea; appointed general practitioner anaesthetist at Southend Victoria Hospital, 1931; appointed general practitioner anaesthetist at Southend General Hospital, 1932; became a whole-time anaesthetist in the Emergency Medical Service during World War Two (1939-1945), serving for five years at Runwell Emergency Hospital, Essex; Consultant Anaesthetist at Southend General Hospital, 1947; began at Southend the first Anaesthetic Outpatient Department in any British hospital, 1948; organised the first postoperative observation ward (recovery ward) in any British general hospital, 1955; President of the Royal Society of Medicine Section of Anaesthetics, 1959; Joseph Clover Lecturer of the Faculty of Anaesthetists, 1960; Honorary Fellow of the Faculty of Anaesthetists, Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland, 1970; Assistant Editor of the journal Anaesthesia, and Chairman of its Editorial Board, 1970-1972; retired from his NHS post at Southend, 1971; continued to teach in Britain, Holland and Baghdad after his retirement; Clinical Tutor at Southend, 1972-1976; elected President of the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland, 1972-1973; Honorary Member of the Association of Anaesthetists; received the Royal Society of Medicine Henry Hill Hickman Medal, 1976; Medallist of the Faculty of Anaesthetists, 1976; received the Carl Koller Gold Medal of the European Society of Regional Anaesthesia, 1984; delivered the Gaston Labat Lecture, American Society of Regional Anaesthesia, 1985; delivered the Stanley Rowbotham Lecture, Royal Free Hospital, London, 1985; delivered the T H Seldon Lecture, International Anesthesia Research Society, 1986; died, 1989. J Alfred Lee edited A Synopsis of Anaesthesia, a reference work on the history and techniques of anaesthesia, anaesthetic drugs, and professional practice, from its first edition (published by John Wright & Sons, Bristol, 1947) through subsequent editions (2nd edition, 1950; 3rd edition, 1953; 4th edition, 1959), jointly edited with R S Atkinson (5th edition, 1964; 6th edition, 1968; 7th edition, 1973); as contributing editor, with Atkinson and G B Rusham (8th edition, 1977; 9th edition, 1982; 10th edition, 1987). Subsequent editions were published after his death as Lee's Synopsis of Anaesthesia (11th edition, 1993; 12th edition, 1999). Other publications: with Sir Robert Reynolds Macintosh, Lumbar puncture and spinal analgesia: intradural and extradural (3rd edition, 1973, and subsequent editions); with C L Hewer, Recent Advances in Anaesthesia and Analgesia (8th edition, 1957); as editor, with Roger Bryce-Smith, Practical regional analgesia (1976); with Malcolm Jefferies, The hospitals of Southend (1986).

Mandow , George Anderson , 1907-1992 , anaesthetist

Born in New York, USA, 1907; moved with his family to Anglesey, north Wales, 1919; educated at Harrow School from 1920; Caius College Cambridge, 1926-1930; trained at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London; B Chir, 1933; general practitioner in Sheerness, 1930s; obtained British nationality, 1935; Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve Medical Officer, 1939-1946; general practitioner in Windsor, 1947; Diploma in Anaesthetics, 1948; Fellow of the Faculty of Anaesthetists, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1954; Consultant Anaesthetist, Upton Hospital, Slough, Heatherwood Hospital, Ascot, King Edward VII Hospital, Windsor, and Maidenhead Hospital; retired, c1984; died, 1992.

Mayfair Gas Company

The Mayfair Gas Company was a partnership in anaesthetics founded by Sir Robert Macintosh in 1933 between himself, William Samuel McConnell, and Bernard Richard Millar Johnson. The practice was conducted from Macintosh's home at 9a Upper Brook Street, Mayfair. It acquired the nickname of the Gas, Fight and Choke Company, in reference to the main supplier of domestic gas for heating, cooking and lighting, the Gas, Light and Coke Company. The main work of the partnership included anaesthesia for general surgery given during the honorary hospital sessions, and dental anaesthesia. Each assistant working for the Mayfair Gas Company was expected to buy a car as it was usual for anaesthetists to bring their equipment with them. The car was maintained by the practice and a chauffeur was employed to help carry the equipment and also to help move patients. The practice moved to 47 Wimpole Street, but retained its original name. Macintosh left the partnership in 1937 and was succeeded by other partners. In 1947 the practice moved to Beaumont Street.

Parsloe , Carlos P , b 1919 , anaesthetist

Born in Santos, state of Sao Paolo, Brazil, 1919; attended medical school, Rio de Janeiro, 1936-1943; worked in anaesthetic medicine in Brazil; intern in Chicago, USA, 1946; anesthesia residency, Madison, Wisconsin, under Ralph Waters, 1946-1948; returned to Santos and worked there, 1948-1952; returned to Madison, 1952-1954; worked in Sao Paolo from 1954; returned to Madison, 1963; returned to Sao Paolo and worked there until he retired; involved in organising the Third World Conference of Anaesthesiology, Sao Paolo, 1964; member of the World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists (WFSA) Committee on Education and Scientific Affairs, 1964; elected to WFSA Executive Committee, 1972; Vice-President, WFSA, 1980; President, WFSA, 1984.

A Faculty of Anaesthetists of the Royal College of Surgeons was formed at the inauguration of the National Health Service (NHS) in 1948. Following increasing specialisation in medical disciplines in the mid-20th century there was a trend for emergent disciplines to found independent academic bodies, separate from the general Colleges of physicians and surgeons, to provide for their own educational and examination requirements and maintain standards in patient care in their field. By 1970 anaesthesia was the largest single specialty in the NHS, but its Faculty did not control its own funds or award its own diplomas. During the 1970s there was debate within the profession as to whether the dependent Faculty of Anaesthetists of the Royal College of Surgeons of England should remain, or whether an independent institution should be established. A College of Anaesthetists was eventually established, by Supplementary Charter, within the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1988. In 1989 the decision was made to become independent and funds were raised to acquire premises at nos 48-49 Russell Square, London. It was succeeded by the Royal College of Anaesthetists (RCOA), founded as an independent body by Royal Charter in 1992, with responsibility for setting standards for practice in anaesthesia, establishing standards for training postgraduate practitioners, administering examinations, and continuing medical education of all anaesthetists. See the RCOA website: http://www.rcoa.ac.uk

Society of Anaesthetists for the British Forces in Germany

The Society of Anaesthetists for the British Forces in Germany (SABFG) was started in 1977 as a small society for military anaesthetists posted to Germany. Annual scientific meetings were run in West Germany to bring speakers from the UK. The services involved were the Army and the RAF (there being no Royal Navy medical personnel serving in Germany at that time). Meetings were held at the main centres, including RAF Wegburg, and Army Hospitals at Munster and Hannover. The senior service anaesthetists who supported the Society in Germany were John Restall (Army) and Colin MacLaren (RAF). Both were active members of the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland, and there were strong links between the Association and its members in the military forces: at that period the Association always had an anaesthetist from one of the services co-opted to Council. Professor James Payne served as President from 1977 until 1986 and Dr Peter Baskett from 1986 until the Society ceased being in 1993 (the result of military changes following the fall of the Berlin Wall and the re-unification of Germany). The Society became incorporated with the Tri Service Society of Anaesthetists.

Thomas , Kenneth Bryn , 1915-1978 , anaesthetist

Born in Sutton, 1915; attended Swansea Grammar School from c1930; began pre-clinical medical studies at Swansea University College; entered King's College London, 1933; completed his medical education, which included clinical work at Charing Cross Hospital, and qualified as a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons and Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians, 1939; soon after the outbreak of World War Two (1939-1945), enrolled in the Emergency Medical Service and served at Great Ormond Street Hospital; volunteered for war service with the Royal Air Force, 1940; posted to Hullavington and subsequently to RAF Hospital Bridgnorth, Shropshire, where he was designated a specialist anaesthetist; Diploma in Anaesthetics, 1941; posted to Singapore, 1945; demobilised, 1946; joined the anaesthetic staff at Ashford Hospital, Middlesex; Consultant Anaesthetist to the Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading, and the Reading Group Hospitals, 1947-1978; a medical historian with a particular interest in the history of anaesthesia; Honorary Librarian of the Reading Pathological Society, 1949-1976; elected to the Fellowship of the Faculty of Anaesthetists of England, 1954; member of the Osler Club of London, 1956, and President, 1969; Council member of the Royal Society of Medicine Section of the History of Medicine, 1957, Secretary, 1959-1972, and President, 1970-1972; appointed Curator of the Charles King Collection of Historical Anaesthetic Apparatus of the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland, 1966; organised the Historical Section of the 4th International Congress of Anaesthiologists in London, 1968; appointed Assistant Curator of the Hunterian Society, 1971; President of the British Society for the History of Medicine, 1972-1974; member of Council of the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland, 1972-1974; elected to the Royal Society of Medicine Section of Anaesthetics Council, 1974; died, 1978. Publications include: James Douglas of the Pouch and his pupil William Hunter (Pitman Medical Publishing Co, London, 1964); Curare: its history and usage (Pitman Medical Publishing Co, London, 1964); 'The A Charles King Collection of early anaesthetic apparatus', Anaesthesia, vol xxv, no 4 (Oct 1970); The development of anaesthetic apparatus: a history based on the Charles King collection of the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland (published for the Association by Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, 1975).

Wilkinson , David John , fl 1972-2000 , anaesthetist

MB, BS, London, 1972; Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England; Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians of London, 1971; Fellow of the Faculty of Anaesthetists, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1976; Consultant Anaesthetist, St Bartholomew's Hospital, London; Honorary Treasurer of the Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland; formerly curator of the A Charles King Collection of Historical Anaesthetic Apparatus at the Association of Anaesthetists. Publications: 'A Charles King: a unique contribution to anaesthesia', Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, lxxx (Aug 1987), pp 510-14; edited, with A Marshall Barr and Thomas B Boulton, Essays on the history of anaesthesia (Royal Society of Medicine Press, 1996).

Zuck , David , fl 1945-2002 , anaesthetist

MB, ChB, Birmingham, 1945; Captain, Royal Army Medical Corps; Diploma in Anaesthetics, 1948; Fellow of the Faculty of Anaesthetists, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1953; Consultant Anaesthetist, Chase Farm Hospital, Enfield; Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine; Member of the Association of Anaesthetists - Pask Certificate of Honour; President of the History of Anaesthesia Society. Publication: The principles of anaesthesia for nurses (1969).

Worshipful Society of Apothecaries of London

The Worshipful Society of Apothecaries of London, a City Livery Company, received its Charter and Grant of Arms in 1617 and acquired its Hall in 1632. Following its destruction in the Great Fire of 1666, Apothecaries' Hall was rebuilt on the same site and is the oldest extant livery company Hall in the City. London apothecaries had originally been members of the Grocers' Company until they were granted their own charter of incorporation by James I in recognition of their specialist skills in compounding and dispensing drugs.

The Society established an 'Elaboratory' for the bulk production of medicines in 1671-1672 at Apothecaries' Hall, laying the foundations of the British pharmaceutical industry. The Society's trade expanded and the Laboratory Stock, 1672, and Navy Stock, 1703, were created, merging to become the United Stock in 1822. From 1888 a committee managed the pharmaceutical businesses. The Society continued to manufacture, wholesale and retail drugs at the Hall until 1922.

In 1673 the Society founded Chelsea Physic Garden. Apprentices and later medical students were taught botany at the Garden, where the Society's ceremonial barge was kept and raw drugs and medicinal plants were grown, some of which were processed in the Hall laboratories. The Society managed the Garden until 1899.

In 1704, as a result of the ruling in the House of Lords in the Rose Case, apothecaries won the right both to prescribe and dispense medicines and so became legally ratified members of the medical profession. The Apothecaries Act, 1815, empowered the Society to institute a Court of Examiners to examine medical students and to grant its licence to practise medicine, the LSA, to successful candidates. The post-nominal was later changed to LMSSA by the Apothecaries Act, 1907, to reflect the all-round competence of Licentiates in medicine and surgery. John Keats qualified as Licentiate of the Society, 1816 and Elizabeth Garrett (later Garrett Anderson) became the first woman doctor to qualify in Britain, obtaining her Licence in 1865. Ronald Ross, the second Nobel Prizewinner in Medicine or Physiology, 1902, qualified LSA in 1881. The Society offers eleven specialist medical postgraduate diplomas, including Medical Jurisprudence, Forensic Human Identification and HIV Medicine.

In 1959 the Faculty of the History and Philosophy of Medicine and Pharmacy of the Society of Apothecaries was established, running and teaching two diploma courses and holding an annual programme of eponymous lectures at Apothecaries' Hall. In 2004 the Faculty of Conflict and Catastrophe Medicine was founded, resulting from the success of the pioneering Diploma in the Medical Care of Catastrophes.

The Society is number 58 in the city livery companies' order of precedence, is the largest company and the only one designated 'Society'. By its constitution 85 percent of its membership must belong to the medical profession.

The Worshipful Society of Apothecaries of London

Prizes were first awarded to male medical students for botany in 1830. The top prize was a Gold Medal, which was given annually with the exception of the years 1862, and 1888-1891 inclusive. It was last awarded in 1893. The runner-up was awarded a Silver Medal between 1830-1861, excepting 1831 and the years 1854-1856, but two were given in 1861. No awards were made in 1862, but between 1863-1887 books were presented with the Silver Medal, followed by a gap of four years until 1892 when the last joint prize was awarded. Books alone were awarded from 1838 but more sporadically, and none given between 1861-1876. In 1877 Charles Pardey Lukis of St Bartholomew's Hospital was awarded books and, uniquely, a Bronze Medal. Two years then elapsed before the final book prize was awarded in 1880.

Separate prizes were instituted in 1841 in Materia Medica and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, and competition was open to male medical students. The earlier 1840 title of this examination and prize had been Materia Medica and Therapeutics, but it was altered before any candidates had sat for it. This was probably to highlight the Society's continuing investment in the knowledge and skills of pharmacy in its medical curriculum and examinations, in view of the formation in 1841 of the Pharmaceutical Society. In fact, William Thomas Brande, the Society's Professor of Chemistry and Superintending Chemical Operator, had urged the establishment of such an examination and prizes in a letter to Robert Brotherson Upton, the Society's Clerk, in 1838. These prizes also comprised gold and silver medals and books. The Gold Medal was awarded 1841-1853, excepting 1845, then from 1862-1889, excepting 1873-1874 and 1888, and lastly in 1892 and 1894. The Silver Medal was awarded 1841-1853, excepting 1845, then two were given in 1891 and the final medal in 1892. Silver medals and books were awarded 1863-1890, excepting 1873 and 1888, and finally in 1893 and 1894. Books only were awarded in 1879, 1880 and 1890.

The Galen or Gold Medal, known as The Society of Apothecaries' Medal, was instituted in 1925 for valuable services or contributions rendered to the science of therapeutics. The 'Therapeutic Revolution' which led to the development of the modern pharmaceutical industry is usually dated to the period 1935-1945, when commercial production of the first sulphonamides and the first antibiotic, penicillin, became possible. The Society's Medal is awarded on a broad basis, therapeutics being understood to encompass the whole spectrum of the art of healing, from preventative medicine to surgical intervention.

The design of the Galen Medal was based on two medals awarded by the Society during the 19th century; the 'Linnaeus' for Botany and the 'Galen' for Materia Medica and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Both were engraved by William Wyon RA, Chief Engraver to the Royal Mint, 1828-1851. The Society commissioned Wyon to design a medal based on the bust of Galen at the Royal College of Physicians of London. The original dyes used in casting the Medal eventually became unusable. Cast in silver gilt since the Second World War and re-designed by craftsmen at the Royal Mint, the medal incorporates many of the original features from Wyon's design. On the obverse, a bust of Galen looking left with the word Galen to its left, by T H Paget after Wyon, on the reverse a seated female figure, representing Science, instructing a seated youth in the properties of plants, with a vase containing herbs and flowers to the right and an apothecary's furnace to the left and, in the exergue, the emblems of Aesculapius, after Wyon (and more recently the Society's Coat of Arms and 'W Wyon RA').

According to the Regulations of June 1925, the Court was to make the award annually following the recommendation of the Medal Committee. The Committee was to consider original investigations into the Science of Therapeutics published during the preceding three years. The award was not to be 'restricted by any question of age, nationality or sex' and was to be presented at a Livery Dinner. Later, the presentation of the award took place at the Society's July Soirée but in recent years an eponymous dinner has marked the occasion. Professor Walter Ernest Dixon was the first recipient in 1926 for his advances in pharmacology. The roll of distinguished medallists includes Alexander Fleming for his discovery of, and Howard Florey and Ernst Chain for their work on, penicillin.

The Worshipful Society of Apothecaries of London

The office of Clerk is that of secretary to the Court and Chief Executive Officer of the Society. James Richard Upton held office 1872-1901, succeeding his uncle Robert Brotherson Upton. He died 8 December 1901 during a visit to India and a silver cup was presented to the Society in his memory. Archer Mowbray Upton held office 1901-1916, a solicitor like his father and great uncle, until he was dismissed from the Society's employment in 1916 for criminal proceedings against him. He was convicted of embezzling clients' funds from Upton and Co, Solicitors, the practice he held jointly with his brother. He was sentenced to three years' penal servitude and struck off the Roll of Solicitors. He had not, however, defrauded the Society.

Arthur Bingham Watson took up the post 16 May 1916 at a fixed salary of £300 per annum. He too was a solicitor and a partner in the firm Watson, Sons and Room. On 4 April 1917 Watson was admitted to the Freedom of the Society and was in office when the Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII, became the first ever Honorary Licentiate of the Society. He died 23 October 1927.

Philip Beaumont Frere was also a solicitor and held office 1928-1932. He was appointed 3 March 1928, having been admitted as a solicitor in 1920, and for thirty years was a senior partner in the firm of Frere, Chomley and Co of Lincoln's Inn Fields, established 1750. Frere was admitted to the Yeomanry of the Society in 1932 and promoted to the Livery in 1933. He was a member of the Grocers' Company and was elected to its Court in 1932, which is when he resigned his Clerkship. However he was then appointed solicitor to the Society. He became Master of the Grocers' Company, 1938-1939; it is probably unique for the former Clerk of one Livery Company to become Master of another. He was co-founder with Sir William Goodenough of the British United Provident Association, the foremost insurance company for private medical treatment. He retired from active practice in 1954.

Henry Cooper attained the rank of Colonel in all three armed services having already qualified as a doctor at the London Hospital in 1904. Cooper held office 1932-1941. He received the Distinguished Service Order and was appointed an Officer of the Order of the Crown of Belgium for notable conduct during World War One. Cooper retired from the services in 1932, having been previously appointed Principal Medical Officer of the Air Defences of Great Britain, Honorary Surgeon to the King, 1930-1932, and had been honoured as an Officer of the Order of St John of Jerusalem. Cooper was admitted to the Yeomanry of the Society in 1933 and the Livery in 1934. He also served in World War Two as Principal Medical Officer, Balloon Command, 1939-1942, and as Assistant Director of Personnel in the Emergency Medical Service, 1942-1945. He resigned the Clerkship in March 1941 and died in 1948.

Ernest Busby entered the Society's service in 1926 as Bursar. He was acting Clerk and Registrar from 1941 until December 1945, when he was confirmed as Clerk and Registrar. He became a member of the Livery in 1939. Busby was made Honorary Licentiate in Medicine and Surgery in 1967, during the celebrations for the 350th anniversary of the Society's Charter. He received an MBE. Busby retired in August 1977 after 50 years' service.

Salvation Army

In 1879, the first Salvation Army printing office was in Fieldgate Street, Whitechapel, at the rear of the Headquarters at 272 Whitechapel Road. Later the printing works was at 96 Southwark Street, London SE (c1886) and 56 Southwark Street (c1889), though the address 15a Fieldgate Street still appeared in 'The War Cry' and 'The Young Soldier' during this period. In March 1890 it moved to Clerkenwell Road, and then in November 1901 it finally moved to St Albans where it was to be for the next 90 years. From 1915 onwards, it was known as The Campfield Press, printing Salvation Army publications and other independent work. The press closed in October 1991. Its building in St Albans was demolished in 1993.

Salvation Army Musical Instrument Factory

The Salvation Army's Musical Instrument Factory began at the Trade Headquarters, 56 Southwark Street, in 1889, with a staff of 2 men and a boy, and moved with the Trade Headquarters to 98-102 Clerkenwell Road in 1890. For the first three years, the factory only assembled cornets and did repairs. The factory began making valves and manufacturing all brass band instruments c1893. The first full set of instruments was made for Luton 2 corps in 1894 and the first plated set for Derby 2 (or Oldham 2) band in 1896. In 1897, the factory again moved with the Trade Department to 79-91 Fortess Road, Kentish Town, but in 1901 the instrument factory moved with the printing works to St Albans. The factory won Gold Medals at exhibitions in Christchurch, New Zealand, in 1906 and 1907 and at the Franco-British Exhibition in London in 1908. The lease of the factory transferred with 8 employees to Boosey and Hawkes Ltd on 24 February 1972.

Salvation Army Assurance Society Ltd

In 1891 the Charter of the Methodist and General Assurance Society came into the possession of The Salvation Army. The name became Salvation Army Life Assurance in connexion with The Methodist and General Assurance Society, Limited but was shortened to The Salvation Army Assurance Society, Limited in 1904. The Society operated under this name until 1972 when it merged with the Wesleyan and General Assurance Society which continues to operate today (October 2013) independently of The Salvation Army.

Until the Second World War, the Chief Office of the Salvation Army Assurance Society was in London, alongside International Headquarters in Queen Victoria Street, but for the duration of the War the offices were evacuated to 'Rosehill', a country house near Reading. During 1947, the Chief Office moved to new premises at 220-226 Tottenham Court Road, London W1, but 'Rosehill' was retained until 1960 as a Conference Centre.

The dual aims of the Society were to undertake life insurance business (industrial and ordinary) and to promote and support the religious and charitable work of The Salvation Army. The Society was staffed by officers and non-officers in its Chief Offices and by non-officer 'agents' in its branches. The vast majority of agents and non-officer clerical staff employed by the Society were Salvationists to aid it in accomplishing its evangelical objectives. The Society began issuing life assurance policies in 1894. It also produced several successful bands and songster brigades including The Assurance Songsters and The Rosehill Band.

Thorndale Parent Assessment / Family Centre

The site of Thorndale House has served multiple functions relating to the care of women, children and families. These functions have been known under many different titles.

Upon opening in 1920, Thorndale's aim was to serve 'the unmarried mother and her child, the woman ''who has lost her way,'' and the little waif girlie who was left despite her tender years to manage as best she may'. In 1923 the work of Wellington Park House Industrial Home was transferred to Thorndale. Combining a Receiving and Industrial Home; a Home for Mothers and Infants; and a Hostel, Thorndale continued to provide a combination of 'training', maternity services and shelter for women from the early 1920s until the early 1980s.

From approximately 1947-1949 Thorndale incorporated a Girls' Training Home for teenagers; this work replaced that of the outdated Industrial Home. At this time Thorndale also ceased being known as a Hostel/Shelter. After 1949 Thorndale continued to serve as a Maternity Home; it also incorporated a second function as a short-stay Hostel for Mothers with Children. In 1951 Thorndale resumed its 'training' function when a new wing was added to the site to house mothers who had been summoned to court for neglect of their children. Their attendance at Thorndale was an alternative to a prison sentence. The work of the Centre for Mothers with Children continued until 1982. From 1978/1979-1982 Thorndale also served as a Children's Home. This work ceased in September 1982; this was due to the 'current policy' of fostering children and the location of Thorndale.

During 1983-1985 Thorndale underwent a period of transition; options were debated regarding the future use of the site and that of Mayflower (another Belfast 'training' centre for mothers). In May 1984 the work of Mayflower and Thorndale was merged under a single administration with the name of Thorndale Centre.

Since 1986 Thorndale has served as a residential Centre for Families with an emphasis on short-term and training work. At present (August 2013) Thorndale is a Parenting Assessment / Family Centre; it has 20 family units with a maximum accommodation for 77 residents.

Salvation Army

The foundation of the UK territory dates from the earliest formation of The Salvation Army - prior to the adoption of that title in 1878 - when in July 1865 William Booth took charge of a mission in the East End of London. Some UK corps were first established as Christian Mission stations.

Throughout the Army's history, work in this geographical area has been organised in a variety of forms and territories, but before 1990 these were all part of International Headquarters administration. However, in 1990 a restructuring occurred and today the UK Territory is separate from International Headquarters and under a single command like the Army's other territories.

UK Territory belongs to the Army's Europe Zone and includes the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. UK Territorial Headquarters are located at 101 Newington Causeway, London.