Showing 15888 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving

The University of London Contingent of the Officer's Training Corps is administered by the Military Education Committee. The OTC was created in 1909 by R B Haldane as part of the army reforms he effected as Secretary of State for War.

The role of the OTC is to train undergraduates for commissioned service in the regular army, the Territorial Army and Combined Cadet Force. The Corps is an integral part of the Territorial Army.

The Contingent is organised into sub units of the following armed services: Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Royal Signals, Infantry, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, Intelligence Corp and Women's Royal Army Corp.

The Registrars Office was created c.1840 and dealt with examinations and general administration of the University. The post of Registrar, along with the Office, was terminated with the introduction of reforms in 1901.

The University of London Staff Association was founded in 1937 and for many years concentrated largely on social activities. With the expansion of the University it was necessary to set up a Consultative Committee to act as a means of communication between the University authorities and the staff. The Staff Association and the Consultative Committee merged in 1968 to become the University of London Administrative Staff Association.

In 1871 Sir Julian Goldsmid gave £1000 to the University of London so that it could establish, 'a first class University Library, which....will not only improve the position of the university, but also will be of great service to its students and graduates.' In the same year the library received 4000 volumes from Baron Overstone and a further 7000 volumes on the death of the classical historian, George Grote. In 1871 the Library Committee was appointed to devise regulations for the Library's use and to direct the Registrar to have a catalogue compiled. In 1873 the Treasury agreed to give the Library £100 per year to pay for the maintenance of the library.

The University of London Library was formally opened to readers in 1877. In 1879 the library of the British Association was presented and in 1880 the Library received a collection of Russian books from the widow of Sir John Shaw-Levre. At the reconstitution of the University of London in 1900 the library was moved from Burlington Gardens to South Kensington.

In 1901 the Company of Goldsmiths purchased Professor Foxwell's library of economic literature, some 30,000 volumes, and presented it to the University Library in 1903. This gift doubled the size of the collection. Mr L W Haward was appointed Goldsmith's Librarian in 1905. Reginald Rye succeeded him in 1906, and remained in the post until 1944.

In 1910 the Travelling Libraries began, when at the request of the Library Committee (from 1973, University Library Board) to promote the extension of University teaching, the University Library agreed to accommodate a small collection of books for issue to Tutorial Class students. Collectively known as the Travelling Libraries it was renamed the Extra Mural Library in 1955. It continued to be administered by the University Library until 1975 when it became a separate unit of the Central Library Services under the control of the Library Resources Co-ordinating Committee. In August 1981 the Extra Mural Library became part of the Department of Extra Mural Studies.

The Library grew at a tremendous rate before the Second World War. In 1924 a music library was established. The Teachers Guild of Great Britain presented the Library of R H Quick in 1929 and in 1931 the Library received the Durning-Lawrence Library. The Harry Price Collection was put on deposit in 1936 and came as a bequest on the death of Harry Price in 1946. The growth of the collection made the acquisition of new premises a matter of extreme urgency. When the University moved to the Bloomsbury Site in 1937-1938 the Library was given space in the Senate House building.

During the Second World War the tower and three stack rooms were heavily damaged, but only around 200 books were lost. The Goldsmith's Library was evacuated to the Bodleian and other valuable books were sent to the University Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Cambridge.

After the war the Library continued to acquire collections. Notable donations include the Sterling Library opened in 1956, the United State Information Service Library, 1965 and the Sturge Moore papers, 1963. In 1952 the Library set up the open Lending Library - hitherto nearly all books except reference and music books were housed in closed stacks. In 1961 the Depository Library was opened in the grounds of Royal Holloway College at Egham to house little used books and theses.

The University Librarian is head of the Library and is served by the following Senior Officers: Sub librarian (Academic Affairs), Sub librarian (administrative Affairs), Information Systems Manager, Head of Special Collections and the University Archivist.

Born, 1847; educated at Rugby, Christchurch College Oxford; Steward and senior student at Christchurch; Senior Bursar and Honorary Fellow of Balliol College Oxford; Vice-president, Committee of Council on Education, 1892-1895; MP for Rotherham, Yorkshire, 1885-1899; member of the Governing Body, Imperial College, 1907-1925; Chairman, Executive Committee, Imperial College; died, 1926.

Publications: include: A Handbook in Outline of the Political History of England ... chronologically arranged with Cyril Ransome (Rivingtons, London, 1882 [1881]); The Education of Citizens. Being the substance of lectures delivered ... to ... Co-operative Societies ... Decr 1882 and January 1883 (Central Co-operative Board, Manchester, [1883]); Working Men Co-operators ... An account of the Artisans Cooperative Movement in Great Britain, with information how to promote it Benjamin Jones (Cassell & Co, London, 1884); A Guide to the Choice of Books editor (E Stanford, London, 1891); Studies in Secondary Education edited with Sir Hubert Llewellyn Smith (Percival & Co, London, 1892); The patriotic poetry of William Wordsworth. A selection, with introduction and notes (Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1915).

Henry Edward Armstrong: Born Lewisham, London, 1848; educated at the Royal College of Chemistry, 1865-1867, University of Leipzig, 1867-1870; lecturer, St Batholomew's Hospital, 1870; Professor of Chemistry, London Institution, 1870; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1876; Professor of Chemistry at the Cowper Street Schools (later Finsbury Technical College), 1879; Professor of Chemistry, Central Technical College (later the City and Guilds College), 1884-1913; President of the Chemical Society, 1893-1895; Davy medal of the Royal Society, 1911; Professor Emeritus, Imperial College, 1913; died, 1937.
Publications: include: Essays on the Art and Principles of Chemistry, including the first Messel Memorial Lecture (Ernest Benn, London, 1927); Introduction to the Study of Organic Chemistry Second edition (Longmans & Co, London, 1874); The Teaching of Scientific Method, and other papers on education Second edition (Macmillan & Co, London, 1903).

Edward Frankland Armstrong: born Lewisham, London, 1878; educated St Dunstan's College, Royal College of Science, 1895; studied Chemistry at the Central Institution (later City and Guilds College), 1896-1898; student at the Universities of Kiel and Berlin, 1898; awarded PhD, University of Kiel, 1901; Salter's Research Fellow, Central Institution, 1902-1903; Chief Chemist, Huntley and Palmer, 1905; Technical Adviser, later Director, Crosfields, 1914; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1920; President of the Society of Chemical Industry, 1922-1924; Managing Director, British Dyestuffs Corporation, 1925-1928; consultant, 1928; President of the Association of British Chemical Manufacturers, 1935; Scientific Adviser to the Ministries of Home Security and Works, 1939-1945; died, 1945.
Publications: The Simple Carbohydrates and the Glucosides Second edition (Longmans & Co, London, 1910); Chemistry in the Twentieth Century (Ernest Benn, London, 1924); Raw Materials from the Sea with Laurence Mackenzie Miall (Constructive Publications, Leicester, [1946]).

Born, 1853; educated at Eton, Trinity College, Cambridge; member of Commission on Labour; Private Secretary to A J Balfour, 1885-1886; MP for Central Leeds, 1885-1906; Chief Secretary for Ireland, 1895-1900; President of Board of Trade, 1900-1905; President of Local Government Board, 1905-1906; member of the Governing Body, Imperial College, 1907-1914; Chairman, Commission on Lighthouse Administration, 1908; Chairman of Cambridge Committee, Commission on Oxford and Cambridge Universities; Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge; died, 1945.

Born, Devon, 1850; educated at Cambridge University; Fellow of Queen's College Cambridge; assistant engineer, Mersey Docks and Harbour Works; Professor of Civil Engineering and Applied Mathematics, 1897, Dean of Applied Science, 1898, McGill University, Canada; Vice-President, 1896-1897, President, 1900, Canadian Society Civil Engineers; Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, President of Section III, 1896; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1902; Rector, Imperial College, 1908-1910; died, 1912.

Publications: include: Theory of Structures and Strength of Materials (J Wiley & Sons, New York, 1893); Results of Experiments on the Strength of White Pine, Red Pine, Hemlock and Spruce reprinted from the Transactions of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers (Montreal, 1898); A New Extensometer reprinted from the Transactions of the Royal Society of Canada (Montreal, 1902); On the Stresses developed in Beams loaded transversely reprinted from the Transactions of the Royal Society of Canada (Montreal, 1902); A Treatise on Hydraulics second edition (J Wiley & Sons, New York, 1908).

Born, 1861; educated at Christ Church, Oxford; called to Bar, Inner Temple, 1884; Liberal MP for Cambridge, 1906-1910, Keighley, Yorkshire, 1911-1914; Counsel to the University of Oxford, 1911-1913; knighted, 1913; member of the Council of the Duchy of Lancaster; Solicitor-General, 1913; Director of the Press Bureau, 1914-1915; created 1st Baron Cheddington, 1915; Lord Chancellor, 1915-1916; member of the Interallied Conference in Finance and Supplies; Chairman, Governing Body of Imperial College, 1923-1934; Chairman, Political Honours Review Commitee, 1924, 1929; created 1st Viscount Buckmaster, 1933; died, 1934.

Born in Treorchy in the Rhodda Valley on 7 July 1924. In July 1925 his father died and Davies moved with his mother and twin sister to Portsmouth to live with his maternal grandmother and aunt. In 1941, on the completion of his school education at the Portsmouth Boys Southern Secondary School, he took up a `Royal' Scholarship at Imperial College London where he studies physics. In 1943 he graduated with first-class honours and was directed to work at Birmingham University as a research assistant in the Tube Alloys Project (the British contribution to the development of nuclear weapons) under R.E. Peierls and later A.H. Wilson. Davies's main work was concerned with the stability and control problems for the gaseous diffusion plant. In 1944 he continued to work for the Tube Alloys Project at ICI, Billingham, on Teeside and in 1945 at the close of the project he returned to Birmingham to work in the Physics Department under M.L.E. Oliphant. The overlap between the courses at Imperial College allowed Davies to complete the requirements for a mathematics degree in a year and he resumed the scholarship for that purpose, graduating with first class honours in 1947.

The National Physics Laboratory was setting up a group to build a stored program computer under the direction of A.M. Turing and Davies joined this group and began working on the logic design and later the building of the ACE Computer. When the Pilot ACE was built, Davies became a user, working on a variety of simulations, including the behaviour of road junctions controlled by traffic lights. In 1954 Davies was awarded a Harkness Fellowship to study in the USA. He came to view his choice of MIT as an error because all the interesting computer work was classified. The period at MIT was interrupted by a special mission for the United Nations, investigating a request from the Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta for funds to buy equipment from the USSR. Subsequently he was involved for a number of years on two new projects. One was the development of the cryotron, a superconducting device with potential for the large-scale integration of logic and storage. However, efforts in this area foundered on engineering problems of many kinds. The other was the translation by computer from Russia to English. Davies concluded that although `we were not able to set up a serviced based on this work ... it is noteworthy that our real experience ... was very different from the accepted public view of machine translation.

In the early 1960s time-sharing whereby a large computer gave an online service to a number of users was very much the coming thing. In 1965 Davies proposed, in a privately circulated paper, the principle for a data communication network which he subsequently named 'packet switching'. In March of the following year he lectured to a large audience, advocating the use of techniques in a public switched data network.

In 1966 Davies was appointed Superintendent of the Division of Computer Science where the programme of research included data communication systems, information systems, pattern recognition and man-computer interaction. The data communication proposals for specialised networks using packet switching were widely publicised in 1967 and greatly influenced the early development of ARPA Network. Davies successfully promoted packet switching for public networks at the CCITT (International Consultative Committee for Telephones and Telegraphs) and elsewhere. In 1973 he published (with D.L.A. Barber) Communication Networks for Computers and in 1979 (with Barber, W.L. Price and C.M. Solomonides) Computer Networks and their Protocols.

In 1975 Davies received the John Player Award of the British Computer Society for his work in packet switching and shared the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) Internet Award for 2000 for work on packet switching.

In 1978 Davies was given the status of an 'individual merit' appointment at the NPL enabling him to relinquish administrative responsibilities, and he led a small research team concerned with security of data in networks. The team developed the application of cryptographic methods to the practical work of network security, especially the use of asymmetric (public key) cryptography. Consulting work under contract to financial institutions and others provided the practical experience. After Davies retired from NPL in 1984, he provided consultancy to financial institutions on high value payment systems and advised suppliers and users of secure systems of many kinds, for example mobile telephony and direct broadcast satellite television. In 1984 he published (with W.L. Price) Security for computer networks: an introduction to data security in teleprocessing and electronic funds transfer. Davies also pursued his interest in cryptography as a hobby with research on Second World War cipher machines and published an number of articles on the topic.

Davies was appointed CBE in 1983 and elected to the Fellowship of the Royal Society in 1987. In 1955 Davies married Diane Burton which whom he had three children. He died on 28 May 2000.

Born, 1897; studied at the Royal College of Science (Imperial College), 1914-1916; Demonstrator, 1919, Reader in Physical Chemistry, 1937, Acting Secretary, Royal College of Science (Imperial College), 1940-1944; Acting Secretary, Royal Institute of Chemistry, 1944-[1963]; Fellow of Imperial College, 1949; OBE, 1962; Special Assistant, Imperial College, 1964-[1970]; died, 1975.

Publications: include: The Principles of Applied Electrochemistry second edition revised and enlarged by the author Arthur John Allmand and H J T Ellingham (E Arnold & Co, London, 1924).

Born in Andover, Hampshire, 1926; educated at the Dragon School, Oxford, 1935-1940, and Marlborough College, 1940-1944; served in the Royal Navy; read mathematics at Jesus College, Cambridge, 1947-1951; joined the Fisheries Laboratory at Lowestoft, working on the population dynamics of fishes, 1951; adviser to the International Whaling Commission, 1964-1986; worked at the Fisheries Department of the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organisation in Rome, Italy, as Chief of the Stock Assessment Branch, 1966-1974, and Chief of the Marine Resources Service, 1974-1984; Senior Research Fellow in Environmental Technology at Imperial College, London, 1984-1990; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1984; served on the Canadian Royal Commission on Seals and Sealing, 1984-1986, which assessed the impact of the annual seal cull on seal populations; died, 1990.
Publications: Estimation of Growth and Mortality in Commercial Fish Populations (London, 1955); On the Fishing Effort in English Demersal Fisheries (London, 1956); Fishing and the Stocks of Fish at Iceland (London, 1961); Contributions to Symposium 1963 on the Measurement of Abundance of Fish Stocks Editor (Copenhague, 1964); The management of marine fisheries (Scientechnica, Bristol, 1974).

Born Titusville, Pennsylvania, 1912; educated Westminster School, 1925-1928; read Zoology at University College London, 1929-1933; MSc, University College London; PhD on locusts, including fieldwork in the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, awarded 1939; Rockefeller Foundation Malaria Research Laboratory at Tirana, Albania, 1939; Research Officer in the Colonial Office's Middle East Anti-Locust Unit, 1942-1944, organising both Soviet and RAF crop-dusting aircraft; joined Vincent Brian Wigglesworth's Insect Physiology Unit at the Department of Zoology, Cambridge, 1946-1967; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1965; Deputy Chief Scientific Officer, Agricultural Research Council and Professor of Animal Behaviour, University of London at Silwood Park, 1967-1983; moved to the Department of Zoology, Oxford, 1983; research interests were aphids, moths and pheromones, insect flight patterns and from the later 1980s 'anthropomorphic misinterpretation of insect behaviour in various contexts'; Gold Medal (Zoology) of the Linnean Society, 1984; Wigglesworth Medal of the Royal Entomological Society, 1985; died, 1993.

Publications: A Conspectus of Aphids as Vectors of Plant Viruses with M F Day and Victor Frank Eastop (Commonwealth Institute of Entomology, London, 1962); Insect Polymorphism Editor (Royal Entomological Society, London, 1961); The new anthropomorphism (1992).

Born, London, 1849; educated private schools, Royal School of Mines; teaching staff at Royal College of Science, 1872-1873; leader of British Eclipse Expedition to the Nicobar Islands, India, 1875; Demonstrator, Science Schools, 1877-1878; scientific chemist in factories of coal tar dyes, discovered many new products and processes; Professor of Chemistry, Finsbury Technical College, 1885; Society of Arts medallist, 1886, 1901; President, Entomological Society, 1895-1897; President, Chemical Society, 1905-1907, Society of Dyers and Colourists, 1907-1910, Society of Chemical Industry, 1907-1909, Institute of Chemistry, 1912-1915; Professor of Organic Chemistry, University of London, 1912; Davy medal, Royal Society, 1913; Advisory Committee on Chemical Supplies, Board of Trade, 1914; Vice-President, Royal Society, 1914-1915; died, 1915.

Publications: include: Studies in the theory of Descent August Weismann. Translated and edited by R Meldola (Sampson Low & Co, London, 1880-82); Report on the East Anglican Earthquake of April 22nd, 1884 with William White (1885); The Chemistry of Photography (1889); Coal and what we get from it. A romance of applied science (1891); Arnold's Practical Science Manuals editor 3 vol (E Arnold, London, [1897, 98]); The Chemical Synthesis of Vital Products and the inter-relations between organic compounds (Edward Arnold, London, 1904); Chemistry [1913].

Student at the City and Guilds College, 1949-1951.
Publications: include: Problems in Hydraulics and Fluid Mechanics for Engineering Students with John Robert Dark Francis (Edward Arnold, London, 1964).

Born, 1872; educated at Central Foundation School of London, Finsbury Technical College, Royal College of Science; Assistant Professor in Chemistry, Royal College of Science; Professor in the Faculty of Applied Chemistry, Royal College of Science for Ireland; Professor of Applied Chemistry, Finsbury Technical College; Mason Professor of Chemistry, University of Birmingham; Director, Chemical Research Laboratory, Teddington, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, 1925-1938; President and Secretary of the Chemical Society; President and Gold medallist, Society of Chemical Industry; elected Fellow of the Royal Society; OBE; Knighted, 1936; died, 1940.
Publications: include: Organic Compounds of Arsenic & Antimony (1918); Inorganic Chemistry. A survey of modern developments with Francis Hereward Burstall (W Heffer & Sons, Cambridge, 1936); British Chemical Industry. Its rise and development with David Doig Pratt (E Arnold & Co, London, 1938); Achievements of British Chemical Industry in the Last Twenty-Five Years (London, 1939).

Born, 1837; educated at Winchester; St John's College Oxford; member of the Royal Commission of 1851; Knighted, 1893; Permanent Secretary to the Treasury, 1894-1903; GCB, 1901; Governor, Imperial College, 1907-1919; died, 1919.

Born, 1851; studied physical science, chemistry and engineering at Trinity College, Dublin; partner, Kitson & Co, Leeds; took an active role in the development of the Yorkshire College (later University of Leeds), 1880-1887; partner of J F La Trobe Bateman, 1887-1889; Engineer, Congested Board of Ireland, 1893-1895; Engineer, Consolidated Waterworks Company of Rosario, and Montevideo Waterworks Company; Director, Mersey Railway Company; Treasurer and Deputy Chairman, Delegacy of King's College University of London; Governor, Imperial College, 1915-1923; died, 1923.

Publications: include: On the working of Punkahs in India as at present carried out by coolie labour, and the same operation effected by machinery (London, 1878).

Born, Nottingham, 1817; educated at private school, Southampton; studied medicine in Paris, 1834-1836, and Edinburgh University, graduated, 1838; physician, Queen's Hospital, Birmingham, 1839; studied metallurgy at local metallurgical works; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1847; invented process for extracting silver; lecturer in metallurgy, later Professor, Government School of Mines and Science Applied to the Arts (later Royal School of Mines), 1851-1879; member, Council of the Royal Society, 1857-1859; lecturer in metallurgy, Woolwich, [1864]-1889; superintendent of ventilation for the Houses of Parliament, 1865; member, Secretary for War's commissions on the application of iron for defensive purposes, 1861, 'Gibraltar' shields, 1867; member, royal commissions on coal, 1871, spontaneous combustion of coal in ships, 1875; Bessemer medal of the Iron and Steel Institute, 1876; President, Iron and Steel Institute, 1885-1886; Millar prize of the Institute of Civil Engineers, 1887; Albert medal of the Society of Arts, 1889; died, 1889.
Publications: include: An experimental inquiry concerning the presence of alcohol in the ventricles of the brain after poisoning by that liquid (Hamilton, Adams & Co, London, 1839); The Metallurgical Treatment and assaying of gold ores (1853); Metallurgy. The art of extracting metals from their ores, and adapting them to various purposes of manufacture 5 vol (London, 1861-1880); The Manufacture of Russian Sheet-Iron (London, 1871); Address to the Iron and Steel Institute May 12, 1886 (Ballantyne, Hanson & Co, Edinburgh, [1886]).

Born Yeovil, Somerset, 1891; educated Yeovil School; studied civil engineering at Bristol University, graduated, 1911; articled assistant to consultant engineer; assistant engineer with the Pontypridd and Rhondda Valley Joint Water Board, 1913-1914; technical adviser to the Director of the Air Department of the Admiralty on aircraft safety, 1915-1919; partner in a firm of aeronautical engineers, 1919-1922; Professor of Engineering, University College, Cardiff, 1922-1928; Professor of Civil Engineering, Bristol University, 1928-1933, associated with the experimental testing of aircraft structures especially the R 100 and R 101 airships; Professor of Civil Engineering, and head of department, Imperial College, 1933-1956; research interests included the structure of dams; Chairman of the Thames Pollution Committee,1951-1961; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1954; President of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 1958-1959; died, 1969.
Publications: Aeroplane Structures, etc with John Laurence Pritchard (Longmans & Co, London, 1919); The Stress Analysis of Bow Girders with Frank Leslie Barrow (London, 1926); Primary Stresses in Timber Roofs, with special reference to curved bracing members with William Henry Glanville (London, 1926); Strain Energy Methods of Stress Analysis, etc (Longmans & Co, London, 1928); The Analysis of Engineering Structures with John Fleetwood Baker, Baron Baker (E Arnold & Co, London, 1936); The Experimental Study of Structures (Edward Arnold & Co, London, 1947); A Study of the Voussoir Arch with Letitia Chitty (London, 1951); Studies in Elastic Structures (Edward Arnold & Co, London, 1952); Pollution of the Tidal Thames. Report of the Departmental Committee on the effects of heated and other effluents and discharges on the condition of the tidal reaches of the River Thames[Chairman, A J S Pippard] (London, 1961).

Born Meerut, India, 1818; educated at St Andrew's Scotland; studied chemistry under Thomas Graham at the Andersonian University of Glasgow, University College, London, Liebig's laboratory at Giessen, Germany; awarded PhD at Giessen, 1841; chemical manager of a calico printing works, 1841; honorary Professor of Chemistry at the Royal Insitution, Manchester, 1843; served on Royal Commission on Health of Towns, 1843; research with Bunsen on the chemistry of blast-furnace gases, 1844; Chemist to the Geological Survey, 1845; reported to Sir Robert Peel on the potato crop in Ireland, 1845; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1848; Special Commissioner for the Great Exhibition, 1850; lecturer on Chemistry at the Government School of Mines, 1851; CB, 1851; Joint Secretary of the Science and Art Department of the Board of Trade, 1853; Inspector General of Government Museums and Schools of Science, 1856; President of the Chemical Society, 1857-1859; Professor of Chemistry at Edinburgh University, 1858-1869; Commissioner for the Exhibition of 1851, 1869; Liberal MP for the Universities of Edinburgh and St Andrews, 1869; Postmaster General in Gladstone's first ministry, 1873-1874; Chairman of Ways and Means, 1880-1883; Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons, 1880-1883; awarded KCB, 1883; Honorary Secretary of the 1851 Commission, 1883-1889; MP for South Leeds, 1885; President of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, 1885; Vice-President of the Council, 1886; Charity Commissioner, 1886; created Baron Playfair of St Andrews, 1892; Lord in Waiting to Queen Victoria, 1892; awarded GCB, 1894; member of the Aged Poor Commission, 1894; died Kensington, London, 1898.
Publications: include Collieries. Report on the gases and explosions in collieries with Sir Henry Thomas De la Beche and Warington Smyth [Shannon, Irish University Press, 1969]; Report on the State of Large Towns in Lancashire (W Clowes & Sons, London, 1845); Bunsen and Playfair's Report to the British Association at Cambridge in 1845, on the gases evolved from iron furnaces with reference to the theory of the smelting of iron, etc edited by B H Brough (London, 1903); On the Chemical Properties of Gold (1853); On Primary and Technical Education. Two lectures, etc (Edinburgh, 1870); On the Organisation of a Teaching Profession [1877]; Subjects of Social Welfare (Cassell & Co, London, 1889); The Evolution of University Extension as a part of Popular Education (1894).

Born, 1869; educated at Winchester, New College Oxford; entered Education Department, 1893; Assistant Secretary, Board of Education, 1904; Secretary, Departmental Committee on the future organisation of the Royal College of Science, Royal School of Mines, 1904-1906; Governor, Imperial College, 1907-1917; Secretary, Central Control Board (Liquor Traffic), 1915-1921; Knighted, 1919; joint editor of the Law of Public Education in England and Wales; member, Council for State Management Districts under the Licensing Act 1921; JP, County of London and Chairman St Margaret's Division, 1925-1950; died, 1952

Publications: The Law of Public Education in England and Wales. A practical guide to its administration with George Morgan Edwardes Jones (Rivingtons, London, 1903).

Born Coggeshall, Essex, 1838; educated at City of London School; lay student at New College, St John's Wood, London; employed by Sir William Fairbairn, [1856-1861]; Manager of Engineering works, 1861-1868; Associate of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 1867; instructor at the Royal School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering at Kensington, 1868-72; Professor of Hydraulic Engineering at the Royal Indian Engineering College, Cooper's Hill, 1872-1884; Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 1878; Professor of Engineering, Central Technical College of the Guilds of London (later City and Guilds College), 1884-1904, Dean, 1884-1896, 1902-1904; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1886; Honorary Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects, 1886; Honorary Member of the Franklin Institute and of the American Philosophical Society, 1890; President of section G of the British Association, 1891; member of the Council of the Royal Society, 1894-1896; Honorary Membership of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1898; member of the General Board of the National Physical Laboratory, 1900; member of the Senate of the University of London, 1900-1905, 1911-1923; member of the Governing Body of Imperial College of Science and Technology, 1910-1926; President of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 1911; member of the Delegacy of the City and Guilds College, 1911-1926; President of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 1915-1916; awarded the first Kelvin Medal, 1921; Honorary Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, 1922; died, 1933.
Publications: include: Wrought Iron Bridges and Roofs .. With examples of the calculation of stress in girders, etc (London, 1869); On the Movement of the water in a tidal river, with reference to the position of sewer outfalls E & F N Spon, London, 1883); Exercises in Wood-Working for handicraft classes in elementary and technical schools (Longmans & Co, London, 1887); The Testing of Materials of Construction: a text-book for the engineering laboratory and a collection of the results of experiment (Longmans & Co, London, 1888); On the Development and Transmission of Power from central stations, being the Howard Lectures 1893 (Longmans & Co, London, 1894); A Treatise on Hydraulics (Adam & Charles Black, London, 1907).

Student and member of staff at the Royal College of Science, (Imperial College), 1925-1931; Lecturer, University of Cairo; Head of Chemistry Department, University of Natal, Pietermarietzburgh, retired, 1964; Dean, Faculty of Science, 1965-1967; research fields were organic chemistry, pyrolisidine alkaleids, insects' pheromones.

Born, London,1849; President, Architectural Association, 1884; President, Royal Institute of British Architects, 1902-1904; Knighted, 1904; Royal Gold medallist, Architecture, English, 1905, American, 1907; President, Royal Academy, 1919; works included Buckingham Palace, Admiralty Arch, Victoria and Albert Museum, Royal College of Science and Imperial College; died, 1930.

Publications: include: London of the Future editor (London, 1921).

Born, 1874; studied at the Royal College of Science; Scientific Assistant and Acting Director, Royal Botanic Gardens, Ceylon; Controller, Government Experiment Station, Ceylon, 1900-1906; Editor, India Rubber Journal, London, 1907-1917; director and chairman, various tropical agricultural companies and trusts, 1907-1930; representative of the Royal Commission of 1851 on the Governing Body, Imperial College, 1918-1937; Chairman, Executive Committee, 1922 -1931 and Finance Committee, 1931-1938, of the Governing Body, Imperial College; Knighted, 1930; died, 1940.

Publications: include: Hevea Brasiliensis or Para Rubber: its botany, cultivation, chemistry and diseases (A M & J Ferguson, Colombo, 1905); The Cultivation of Rubber as an Investment (Rubber Plantation Development & Estates Agency, London, 1906); Rubber Cultivation in the British Empire. A lecture delivered before the Society of Arts, etc (Maclaren & Sons, London, 1907); Theobroma Cacao or Cocoa, its botany, cultivation, chemistry and diseases (A M & J Ferguson, Colombo, 1907); My Tour in Eastern Rubber Lands ... A series of articles contributed to the "India-Rubber Journal" (Maclaren & Sons, London, 1908).

The City and Guilds of London Institute (C&GLI) for the Advancement of Technical Education has its origins in a meeting in 1876, when the livery companies agreed to create a Central Institution in London to improve the training of craftsmen. As it proved difficult to find a site for the planned Central Institution, Finsbury Technical College was established in 1878 in Cowper Street. The Central Institution opened in 1884, in a purpose designed building in South Kensington. It became known as the City and Guilds College after its full incorporation into Imperial College in 1910. An important objective of the C&GLI was to conduct a system of qualifying examinations in technical subjects. This was done in 1879, when the system established by the Society of Arts in 1873 was taken over by the C&GLI. The C&GLI was incorporated in 1880 and received a Royal Charter in 1900.

The Beit Fellowship was established in 1913 by Otto Beit, a Governor of Imperial College. The Fellowship was established in memory of his brother Alfred, a South African businessman and partner in the firm of Wernher, Beit and Company.

Photographic services are divided between a central photographic and television studio and departmental photographic provision.Live-net was a University of London project established in 1986 to establish fibre-optic links between several Schools of the University.

The Council, and previously the Governing Body, is reponsible for ensuring that financial accounts are kept and that an annual statement of the College's finances is prepared and published. External Auditors are appointed by the Council to undertake an audit of the College financial accounts. The College Secretary, as Clerk, is responsible for Internal Audit.
IMPEL was established in 1987 as a joint venture to market technological ideas and products from the college's research programmes. It also acted as a staff consultancy service for external agencies. This aspect was taken over in 1991 by Imperial College Consultants Ltd, along with the management of the commercial use of college facilities. Imperial Biotechnology was established in 1982 to develop products for the speciality enzyme market.

Schemes for the development of Imperial College have led to the rebuilding of the South Kensington site, particularly from the 1950s to mid 1970s. By 1935, Sir Henry Tizard, Rector of Imperial College from 1929-1942, had developed an expansion scheme to be achieved by securing the 'island site' campus (bounded by Exhibition Road, Prince Consort Road, Queen's Gate and the Museums) in South Kensington.
The Jubilee Expansion Scheme, approved in 1957, saw the remodelling of the College site on the securing of the 'island site'. The City and Guilds building was demolished in 1962, and the Imperial Institute building in 1963. The Collcutt Tower of the Imperial Institute (now Queen's Tower) was saved and became free-standing in 1968. New buildings were erected and residential student accommodation improved.

The Department of Electrical Engineering originated with the teaching of evening classes in pratical electricity at Finsbury Technical College in 1878. With the opening of the City and Guilds Central Institution in 1884 classes moved to South Kensington as the Department of Physics, but was renamed Electrical Engineering in 1898.

Born, 1868; Member of British Government Eclipse Expeditions, 1893, 1896, 1898, 1900, 1905, 1914; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1910; awarded Valz Prize by the Paris Academy of Sciences, 1913; Bakerian Lecturer, Royal Society, 1914 and 1924; awarded Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society, 1915; awarded Royal Medal of the Royal Society, 1918; Henry Draper Gold Medal of the National Academy of Sciences, Washington, 1920; Yarrow Research Professor of the Royal Society, 1923-1934; President, Section A, British Association, 1926; CBE 1935; President, Institute of Physics 1935-1937; Past-President, Royal Astronomical Society; Emeritus Professor of Astro-Physics, Imperial College; late Member of Advisory Council Department of Scientific and Industrial Research; late General Secretary, International Astronomical Union; died, 1940.
Publications: Geometrical Astronomy and Astronomical Instruments (The Concise Knowledge Astronomy [1914]); Popular Telescopic Astronomy. How to make a 2-inch telescope and what to see with it (G Philip & Son, London, 1896); Report on Series in Line Spectra (Physical Society, London, 1922); numerous papers relating to solar and stellar spectra, the spectra of comets, and the structure of spectra in Proceedings of Royal Society and Monthly Notices of Royal Astronomical Society.

Interdisciplinary centres which cross traditional boundaries between departments were established at Imperial College in 1977, with the founding of the Imperial College Centre for Environmental Technology. The Pimlico Connection is a community-based tutoring scheme for students of Imperial College and was established in 1975.

The Medical School Secretary managed the general administration of the School. The post of School Secretary was created in 1889. In 1993 the title was changed with the appointment of a new postholder to Director of Finance and Administration, and remained as such until 1998.
St Mary's Recreation Centre was built by St Mary's Hospital Medical School in 1983-1984. It was orginally known as the Queen Mother Recreation Centre.

The Huggett Laboratories are research support laboratories at the former St Mary's Hospital Medical School, later Imperial College School of Medicine.

Born, 1925; educated at University College School, Hampstead; Guy's Hospital Medical School; Lecturer in Child Health, University of Bristol, 1956-1960; Consultant Paediatrician, United Bristol Hospitals, 1960; Assistant Director, 1960-1964 and Director, 1964-1969, Paediatric Unit, St Mary's Hospital Medical School; Consultant Paediatrician, St Mary's Hospital, 1960-1990; Fellow, Royal College of Physicians, 1966; Consultant Adviser in Paediatrics, DHSS, 1971-1986, and member of DHSS committees, 1966-1988; University of London member of Board of Studies in Medicine, 1964-1990, member of Senate, 1981-1989, Dean, Faculty of Medicine, 1984-1986, member of Court, 1984-1989; member, General Medical Council, 1984-1988, British Medical Association, British Paediatric Association, European Society for Paediatric Research.
Publications: Modern Textbook of Paediatrics for Nurses (William Heinemann Medical Books, London, 1961); Neurological examination of children with Richmond Shepard Paine (London, Spastics Society Medical Education and Information Unit in association with Heinemann Medical, 1966); book chapters and papers on paediatrics and child health.

St Mary's Hospital Rugby Club was founded in 1865, and was one of the founders of the Rugby Union. St Mary's Hospital Medical Society was founded in 1866. The St Mary's Hospital Medical School Students' Club became the Students' Union in 1939/1940.

The Imperial College Union was established in 1907. There are also four constituent unions, the Royal College of Science Union, Royal School of Mines Union, City & Guilds College Union and Imperial College School of Medicine Union. The governing body of the Unions is the Council. The Executive, comprising Union officers, has responsibility to carry out policy. Clubs and societies, financial affairs and other functions are organised through committees.

Alumni Groups and Associations exist to keep former students in touch with each other and with the College. The Old Student Associations became Constituent College Associations in 1992. All are predominantly volunteer organisations but receive administrative support from the College's Alumni Relations office. The City & Guilds College Association was formed in 1897, and until 1992 took its name (Old Centralians) from the original Central Technical College of 1885. The Twentyone Club was established in 1922 as a correspondence club for former students of the City and Guilds College. The Links Club was established in 1926 as a similar club for the Guilds. The Royal College of Science Association was founded in 1908 under the Presidency of H G Wells. The Royal School of Mines Association began life as the Royal School of Mines Old Students' Dining Club and the first Annual Dinner was held in 1873. The Association was formally inaugurated in 1913. The Chaps Club was established in 1921, as a Club for past students of the Royal School of Mines.
The Hofmann Society was established in 1933 for Organic Chemists in the Royal College of Science. The H G Wells Society was established in 1963 for students and staff.
The Imperial College Representative Council was formed in 1969 to consider matters of general college interest, and comprised representatives from staff and student unions within the college.

The Alumni Relations Office maintains regular contact with all former students of the College. The Office distributes the alumni magazine, IC Matters and services the administrative needs of the Constituent College Associations.
The Royal College of Science Union Motor Club maintains the College mascot 'Jezebel', a 1916 Dennis N - Type fire engine, donated to Imperial College in 1955. 'Boanergesis' is the City & Guilds College mascot, a 1902 James & Browne veteran car purchased in 1934. The mascot of the Royal School of Mines is the 1926 Morris T type truck 'Clementine', which in 1959 replaced the first Clementine, a steam roller.
During the First World War 2418 students from Imperial College served in the forces, of which 319 died.

Guy's Hospital was founded in 1721 by Thomas Guy, a bookseller and publisher in London who made a large fortune from his business. As required by his will, an Act of Parliament was passed in 1725 establishing the Corporation of Governors for Guy's Hospital. The Governors administered the estates acquired by the hospital and managed the hospital through a committee (the Court of Committees) of twenty-one men named by Guy, including four doctors. Meetings of the General Court were short and occupied by formal business. The management of the two hospitals was at first closely associated, with Guy's seen as an annexe to Thomas's. All the arrangements and procedures at St Thomas's were adopted by Guy's, and there were some joint Governors and they had the same Treasurer until 1839.

The First Dean of the Medical School - Frederick Taylor was appointed in 1874. He was succeeded by E C Perry 1888, L E Shaw 1893, J Fawcett 1901, H L Eason 1904, H C Cameron 1912, L Bromley 1915, T B Johnston 1920, T J Evans 1937, and E R Boland 1945.

The position of School Secretary appears to have been formalised during the 1930s when J E H Winston was appointed. He retired in 1950, and was succeeded by W F Cook, 1950-1969, and Donald Bompas, from 1969-[1985].

This administrative structure altered when the Medical Schools of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals reunited as the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals (UMDS) in 1982. The new institution was then enlarged by the amalgamation of the Royal Dental Hospital of London School of Dental Surgery with Guy's Dental School on 1 August 1983 and the addition on the Institute of Dermatology on 1 August 1985. In 1990 King's College London began discussions with the United Schools and, following formal agreement to merge in 1992 and the King's College London Act 1997, the formal merger with UMDS took place on 1 August 1998. The merger created three new schools: the Guy's, King's and St Thomas' Schools of Medicine, of Dentistry and of Biomedical Sciences, and reconfigured part of the former School of Life, Basic Medical & Health Sciences as the new School of Health & Life Sciences.

By the 1840s senior pupils at Guy's Hospital were beginning to be utilised by the hospital. Selected pupils were trained by physicians in designated wards. A 'Clinicals' room was provided for the students and physicians for discussion of reports made by the Clinical Clerks, usually four selected from the advanced students. In 1871 the Clinical Clerks became Clinical Assistants, although they were more usually referred to as Clinicals.

Important matters of policy and finance were discussed at staff meetings, which were called as the need arose. Originally attended by clinical staff, all senior members of staff were later called to attend. The annual School Meeting, presided over by the Treasurer was attended by all the teachers in the School. At theses meetings the Treasurer made a brief statement of the financial position and announced the value of the 'share' for the preceding year. The 'share' was the method of renumeration of the clinical staff until 1925, when it was replaced by a nominal salary. The accounting system of the medical school was mechanised in 1970.
Guy's Hospital College was a residential College which opened in 1890 after the number of resident posts was increased in 1888.