Showing 15888 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving

Richard Clement Lucas was born on 16 April 1846, son of William Lucas of Oaklands, Midhurst, Sussex. Educated at Queenwood College, Stockbridge, Hants; Guy's Hospital, and the University of London. Passed First Division at every examination; awarded gold medal at MB, Honours at BS, and FRCS. Lucas was appointed Assistant Demonstrator of Anatomy at Guy's, 1872, Senior Demonstrator, 1874, Demonstrator in Practical Surgery, 1877. In 1875, he was elected Assistant Surgeon, and was Surgeon from 1888-1906. He also lectured in the Medical School on Anatomy, 1888-1900, and Surgery 1900-1906, retiring in 1906. Lucas served as a member of the Council of the Royal College of Surgeons from 1901-1914, and as Vice President of the College, 1909-1911. Bradshaw Lecturer, 1911. He was married to Kathleen Emma Pelly. He died on 30 June 1915.
Publications: The Bradshaw Lecture on Some Points in Heredity. Delivered before the Royal College of Surgeons, December 6th, 1911, Adlard & Son: London, 1912

Born 4 April 1911, in Herne Hill, educated at Alleyn's School, Dulwich, and Guy's Hospital Medical School, London. He was a gifted student, winning the Treasurer's Medal in both medicine and surgery. Appointed firstly to the Department of Pathology, prior to working as a medical registrar. In 1939, he became Clinical Tutor, but later joined the Royal Army Medical Corps, serving on the hospital ship, Dorsetshire; in the Middle East, and the Military Hospital in Edinburgh.
In 1946, he returned to Guy's Hospital as Physician, and the same year was appointed Director of the Department of Medicine. Mann held the post of Senior Physician, 1963-1976. In 1954, he was appointed Physician to the Royal Household and, Physician to the Queen, 1964-1970. Croonian lecturer 1976; Retired from the hospital in 1976, continuing to practice privately for some years. He died on 25 Jun 2001.
Publications: with John Forbes Clinical examination of patients (1950); edited Conybeare's textbook of medicine (Edinburgh. Churchill Livingstone. 1975); Hippocratic writings edited with an introduction by G.E.R. Lloyd, translated [from the Greek] by J. Chadwick and W.N. Mann ... [et al.] (Harmondsworth. Penguin. 1978); A guide to life assurance underwriting. including a short glossary of medical terms, J.E. Evans and W.N. Mann (London. Stone & Cox. 1981).

Student, Guy's Hospital, 1844-1846; Physician to the Surrey Infirmary, 1853; Assistant Physician, 1856, Curator of Museum, 1856-1865, Physician and Lecturer on Medicine, 1857, Guy's Hospital; Examiner in the Practice of Medicine, University of London, 1866-1870; Examiner in Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons, 1868-1875; President of the Pathological Society, 1881-1882; President of the Neurological Society, 1887; member, Senate of the University of London, 1887-1900; member, General Medicine Council, 1887-1896; President, Royal College of Physicians, 1896-1899; Physician Extraordinary to Queen Victoria, 1897; Moxon Gold Medallist, 1897; died, 1911.
Publications: Lectures on Pathology delivered at the London Hospital Henry Gawen Sutton Edited by M E Paul, M D, and revised by S Wilks (J & A Churchill, London, 1891).

Frederick Josiah Burgess was apprenticed to Mr H Sterry, Surgeon for the parish of St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey before becoming a pupil at Guy's Hospital for three years from 1831-1834. He acted as dresser to Mr Bransby Cooper, and then became private surgeon to CRM Talbot. He joined the army of Don Carlos in Spain, and became attached to the staff of the Commander in Chief for about 2 years. On his return to England he became assistant to Robert Smith, surgeon in Bishop's Waltham, and took on the practice as surgeon in 1838.

Born, Birmingham, 1797; educated in medicine by his father Edward Grainger, a surgeon of Birmingham; student at the united hospitals of St Thomas's and Guy's, 1816; dresser to Sir Astley Cooper; opened an anatomical school at St Saviour's Churchyard, Southwark, 1819; the school was successful, rivalling the hospital schools, and soon after opening moved to larger premises; built a theatre in Webb Street, 1821; joined by Dr John Armstrong and Richard Phillips, a chemist, 1821; built a larger theatre, and had nearly three hundred pupils, 1823; died from consumption at 26, 1824.

Publications include: Medical and Surgical Remarks; including a description of a ... method of removing Polypi (London, 1815)

Born, Lancashire, about 1755; pupil of Else at St Thomas's Hospital; Surgeon to the guards; Demonstrator of Anatomy, St Thomas's Hospital, resigned, 1789; Lecturer in Physiology, [1788], and Midwifery with Dr Lowder, St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals; conducted numerous physiological experiments; M D; Fellow, Royal Society; presided at meetings of the Physical Society at Guy's Hospital; joint editor of Medical Records and Researches, 1798; assisted Dr William Saunders in his Treatise on the Liver, 1793; silver medal of the Medical Society of London, 1790; his nephew, Dr James Blundell began to assist him in his lectures, 1814, and took the entire course from 1818; died, 1823.

Publications include: 'An Attempt to Ascertain the Powers concerned in the Act of Vomiting,' in 'Memoirs of the Medical Society of London' (ii. 250) (1789); A syllabus of the Lectures on Midwifery delivered at Guy's Hospital and at Dr Lowder's and Dr Haighton's Theatre in ... Southwark (London, re-printed 1799); A case of Tic Douloureux ... successfully treated by a division of the affected nerve. An inquiry concerning the true and spurious Cæsarian Operation, etc (1813).

Born, Brooke Hall near Norwich, 1768; educated at home; apprenticed to his uncle, William Cooper, surgeon to Guy's Hospital, 1784; soon after transferred to Henry Cline, surgeon to St Thomas's Hospital; Edinburgh Medical School, 1787-1788; Demonstrator of anatomy, St Thomas's Hospital, 1789; joint lecturer with Cline in anatomy and surgery, 1791; lectured on anatomy at the College of Surgeons, 1793-1796; Surgeon, Guy's Hospital, 1800-1825; commenced private practice; Fellow, Royal Society, 1802; made many post-mortem examinations, and often in contact with 'resurrectionists'; a founder and first treasurer, 1805, President, 1819-1820, Medical and Chirurgical Society of London; Professor of Comparative Anatomy, Royal College of Surgeons, 1813; performed a small operation on George IV, 1820; baronet, 1820; examiner at the College of Surgeons, 1822; resigned his lectureship at St Thomas's, 1825; instigator of the founding of a separate medical school at Guy's Hospital, 1825; Consulting Surgeon, Guy's Hospital; President, College of Surgeons, 1827, 1836; Sergeant-Surgeon to King William IV, 1828; Vice-President, Royal Society, 1830; died, 1841.
Publications include: The Anatomy and Surgical Treatment of Inguinal and Congenital Hernia (Crural and Umbilical Hernia) (printed for T Cox; sold by Messrs Johnson, etc, London, 1804); A Treatise on Dislocations, and on Fractures of the Joints (Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown; E Cox & Son, London, 1822); The Lectures of Sir Astley Cooper, Bart., F.R.S. ... on the Principles and Practice of Surgery: with additional notes and cases, by Frederick Tyrrell 3 volumes (Thomas & George Underwood, London, 1824-1827); Illustrations of the Diseases of the Breast ... In two parts (Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown & Green: London, 1829; Lectures on the Principles and Practice of Surgery Second edition (F C Westley, London, 1830); Observations on the Structure and Diseases of the Testis (Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown & Green; Highley & Underwood, London, 1830); The Anatomy of the Thymus Gland (Longman, Rees, Orme, Green & Brown, London, 1832).

Guy's Society for Clinical Reports was established in 1836 by pupils, with the support of the Treasurer Benjamin Harrison. The Society's aim was 'to preserve and disseminate useful information collected by pupils from the Hospital'. The influence of Thomas Hodgkin appears to have been instrumental in the establishment of the Society.

All students attending the hospital were eligible to be members. The students of the Society were allotted in groups to each Physician and Surgeon to report selected cases. They met once a week in the clincial report room of the hospital to describe the cases of most interest. Reports of each case were to be drawn up in 'a condensed tabular shape according to a formula arranged by the society', and were expected to be in minute detail. The wards were arranged in two divisions, and their reports were given to the Secretary on alternate weeks, the completed cases extracted and the papers returned. A daily list of admissions of the previous day and a journal of cases recording all cases in the hospital were also kept in the report room. In 1846 it was made obligatory for all students to report cases, partly due to the success of the Clinical Report Society.

Guy's '89 Club

Guy's '89 Club was founded in 1895 as an annual dining club for the first year students at Guy's Hospital during the period 1889-1890, and the third year students during the year 1891-1892.

The 'Guyites' Club was founded in 1845, to 'perpetuate the friendship which existed amongst its members during their studentship at Guy's Hospital'. The Club held an annual dinner, which was continued by the Junior Guyites Club.

Guy's Hospital Medical Research Club was open to Medical School staff, holders of research appointments and the Resident Surgical Officer, or any elected hospital researcher. The club met for informal discussions on scientific research.

Born, Aberdeen, 1736; educated, school at Fouran, University of Aberdeen; trained with his his uncle, Dr John Fordyce of Uppingham, [1851-1855]; medical student, University of Edinburgh, 1855; M D, 1758; studied anatomy under Albinus at Leyden, 1759; commenced a course of lectures on chemistry, 1759; added courses on materia medica and the practice of physic, 1764, and continued to teach for nearly thirty years; licentiate of the College of Physicians, 1765; Physician, St Thomas's Hospital, 1770-1802; Fellow, Royal Society, 1776; 'speciali gratia' fellow of the College of Physicians, 1787; important part in compiling the new 'Pharmacopeia Londinensis,' issued 1788. assisted in forming a Society for the Improvement of Medical and Chirurgical Knowledge, 1793; died, 1802.
Publications include: Elements of Agriculture and Vegetation, [Edinburgh, 1765]; Elements of the Practice of Physic third edition (J Johnson London, 1771); A Treatise on the digestion of food (London, 1791); A Dissertation on Simple Fever, or on fever consisting of one paroxysm only (J Johnson, London, 1794); A second dissertation on fever; containing the history and method of treatment of a regular tertian intermittent (London, 1795); A third dissertation on fever Containing the history and method of treatment of a regular continued fever, supposing it is left to pursue its ordinary course (London, 1798-99); A Fourth Dissertation on Fever. Containing the history of, and remedies to be employed in irregular intermitting fevers (J Johnson, London, 1802); A fifth dissertation on fever, containing the history of, and remedies to be employed in, irregular continued fevers edited by W C Wells (J Johnson, London, 1803).
Daniel Jarvis gained an M. D.

The first nursing staff were appointed to Guy's Hospital by the Court of Committees, 11 May 1725. In 1877, the Superintendent and one of the physicians began giving lectures to nurses. Guy's Hospital School of Nursing was established in 1880. E Cooper Perry, Dean of Guy's Hospital Medical School and Superintendant of the Hospital, directed a significant reorganisation of nursing provision and training at Guy's Hospital. In 1902 the Henrietta Raphael Nurses Home opened. Applicants for appointment as probationers were received for preliminary training courses before entering the wards. That same year the Guy's Past and Present Nurses League was formed. In 1923, the age of entry for Probationer Nurses was reduced from 23 to 21 years. In 1924, nurses from the Cancer Hospital, Royal Ophthalmic Hospital and Royal Sea-Bathing Hospital, Margate, were admitted for two years further training at Guy's, in order to obtain registration. By 1929, the length of training stood at three and a half years, by 1937, it had been extended to four years.
In 1932, the Women's Training School was established to manage the School of Nursing, the School of Massage and Medical Gymnastics, and the School of Electrotherapy and Radiography. In 1939, the School of Midwifery was added to its responsibilities. About 1945, the Preliminary Training School moved to Holmsdale, Redhill, and the nurses attended the Redhill Technical School for some courses as well as one day per week at Guy's Hospital. In 1965, it was returned to the Guy's Hospital site.

Born Pongaroa, New Zealand, 1916; family moved to Birmingham, UK, 1923; educated, King Edward School, Birmingham, 1929-1935, and St John's College, Cambridge, 1935-1938; joined Cambridge Scientists Anti-War Group and Communist Party; conducted research on luminescence in solids under John Randall, Physics Dept, Birmingham University, 1938-1940; PhD on thermoluminescence in solids, 1940; worked on improvements to radar screens, Ministry of Home Security and Aircraft Production, 1940-1941; worked on the separation of uranium isotopes for British atomic bomb research, codenamed the Tube Alloys Project, 1941-1944; worked at University of California at Berkeley, USA, on the Manhattan Project for the production of the atomic bomb, 1944-1945; Lecturer in Physics, St Andrews University, 1945; Researcher, Medical Research Council Biophysics Unit, Physics Department, King's College London, 1946-1958; Lecturer in Biophysics, King's College London, 1958-1963; awarded Nobel Prize for Medicine, 1962, jointly with James Watson and Francis Crick; Professor of Molecular Biology, King's College London, 1963-1970; President and co-founder, British Society for Social Responsibility in Science (BSSRS), 1969-1991; Professor of Biophysics, King's College London, 1970-1981; devised inter-disciplinary undergraduate course, 'The social impact of the biosciences', 1972; Director, Medical Research Council Cell Biophysics Unit, 1974-1981; Emeritus Professor of Biophysics, KCL, 1981-2004; President, Food and Disarmament International, 1984-2004; died, 2004.

The Maudsley Hospital Medical School was opened in 1923. It was associated to the Maudsley Hospital, which was established in 1914 to treat the mentally ill. It was officially recognised by the University of London in [1933]. In 1948 it became a founder member of the newly formed British Postgraduate Medical Federation and changed its name to the Institute of Psychiatry. Maudsley Hospital amalgamated with the Bethlem Royal Hospital to form a joint teaching hospital in 1948. The Institute of Psychiatry became a school of King's College London in 1997.

The Dean of the Institute of Psychiatry provides academic and strategic leadership and is supported by the Institute Secretary, who is responsible for the day to day management of the Institute.

The Department of Nutrition and Dietetics at King's College London developed the Primary School Meals Research Project, 2004-2005. It was funded by the Department for Education and Skills and the Food Standards Agency, as a result of growing concern about childrens' diets and the quality of school meals.

In 1941, the first nutritional standards for school meals were established and later updated several times and for the last time in 1975. However, the Education Act, 1980, removed such nutritional standards and obligations from Local Education Authorities. In 2001 statutory National Nutritional Standards for school lunches were re-introduced. In order to understand the potential changes in the contribution of school lunches to daily intake and following the re-introduction of these standards, a survey of school meals, in a representative sample of English primary schools, was commissioned.

The study had three aims; to assess whether the food provided by school caterers met the 2001 National Nutritional Standards; to assess whether food provided met the guidelines set out by the Caroline Walker Trust in 1992 and to identify the food consumption and nutritional intakes of primary school children from school meals and to compare these with the Caroline Walker Trust guidelines. The food choices of 7058 children from a representative sample of 151 English primary schools were collated and data was collected at the school and pupil level. Interviewers from market research company, Taylor Nelson Sofres, were used and managed by Dr Michael Nelson, senior lecturer at King's College London. This project resulted in the publication of School Meals in Primary Schools in England, 2006.

The Principal is the chief academic and administrative officer of the College, responsible to the College Council. There have been eighteen Principals since the appointment of William Otter in 1831.

The Department was established in 1980, following the reunification of the theological and secular parts of King's College and the consequent reorganisation of the teaching of theology at King's. It was absorbed back into the Department of Theology and Religious Studies when Theology became part of the School of Humanities in 1989.

The Language and Communications Centre at King's was established in 1989 to provide language teaching to non-linguists. It has also provided external teaching and examination provision for courses notably including the London Business School MBA programme, evening classes and open learning courses. It was subsequently renamed the Modern Language Centre and is currently part of the School of Humanities.

Materia medica and therapeutics were subjects taught from the inception of King's College. A Department of Materia Medica, Pharmacology and Therapeutics was created in 1901, superseded by the Department of Physiology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry and Pharmacology in 1954. Pharmacology emerged as an independent department at King's College in 1965. Practical pharmacy classes were held in the Medical Department of King's from around 1871, and from around 1896 in the Chemistry section of the Technical Department at the South-Western Polytechnic (later Chelsea College which merged with King's in 1985), and instruction for the examinations of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain commenced in 1922 when the Chelsea School of Pharmacy was opened. Chelsea became the first institution recognised by the University of London to offer a degree in Pharmacy with the first graduate in 1926. The rapid expansion of teaching in pharmacy at Chelsea occasioned the opening of a pharmacognosy laboratory in 1927 and the creation of a separate Department of Pharmacy in 1933. Distinct departments of Physiology and Pharmacology, and Pharmacy, had emerged by 1957. Post-merger, the Departments of Pharmacology and of Pharmacy were part of the Faculty of Life Sciences, and the Biomedical Sciences and Health Sciences Divisions of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences from 1991. The Division of Pharmacology and Therapeutics has been part of the School of Biomedical Sciences, and Pharmacy part of the School of Life Sciences, since 1998.

King's College London

The Associate of King's College London is a distinctive qualification of King's that was awarded from 1833 as a form of degree equivalent. A number of students, however, also sat the examinations of the professional societies and in the case of medical students, the examination of the University of Edinburgh. University of London degrees were also introduced from 1836. In 1846, with the introduction of theological teaching, a Theological AKC was initiated as a vocational qualification of choice. During the course of the 19th century, the University of London degree gradually took precedence over other qualifications and in 1909, the time of the incorporation of the College into the University, the AKC was offered to students who followed a course of religious studies in addition to their main academic subject. In recent decades its scope has been widened to reflect broad ethical, philosophical and social issues.

Born 1567; participated in the expedition of the Marquês de Santa Cruz to the island of Terceira, 1587; served under Don Martinho de Rivera, General of the Galleys of Spain; served as Captain of Horse; Frontier Commander of Alcobaça; General of the Armada of the Coast; Colonel of Infantry; Captain Major of the Indian Fleets, 1611-1612, undertook round voyage from Lisbon to Goa; Captain General of the Portuguese Home Fleet, 1618-1621; removed from command due to the loss of the ship NOSSA SENHORA DA CONCEIÇÃO to Algerine warships in 1621, subsequently absolved of blame; Gentleman of the Chamber of Philip IV, King of Spain, and Steward to Queen Isabella; Councillor of the State Council of Portugal; President of the Council of Aragon; Ambassador Extraordinary to Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor, 1629; appointed with the Conde de Vale de Reis as joint Governor of Portugal under the Spanish Crown, 1631-1633; President of the Board of Conscience and Military Orders; imprisoned in 1641 on suspicion of involvement in pro-Spanish activities, subsequently acquitted and released; died 1647; buried in the Church of San Francisco, Lisbon.

Publications: Cargos que resultaram da devassa que os governadores de Portugal mandaram tirar a D Antonio de Ataide da nau da India `Nossa Senhora da Conceição' que os inimigos queimaram no ano de 1621, e reposta de D Antonio nos argos (Lisbon, 1622); Sentenças dadas sobre a devassa que se tirou de Dom A. de Atayde Capitão General da armada de Portugal (P Crasbeek, Lisbon, 1624); Viagens do Reino para a Índia e da Índia para o Reino, 1608-1612. Diários de navegação coligidos por D. António de Ataíde no século XVII. With introduction and notes by Comandante Humberto Leitão (3 vols, Lisbon, 1957).

Belgrave Hospital for Children, a voluntary hospital, was founded in 1866. New buildings were constructed at no 1 Clapham Road, London SW9 (Kennington, Lambeth) between 1899 and 1926 to an innovative design. Under the National Health Service Act (1946), in 1948 the hospital was amalgamated with King's College Hospital as part of the King's College Hospital Group (a teaching group managed by a Board of Governors), but remained a children's hospital. The Belgrave Hospital for Children closed after a new hospital, the Variety Club Children's Hospital, opened in 1985. The building was restored in the 1990s after some years of neglect.

Belgrave Hospital for Children, a voluntary hospital, was founded in 1866. New buildings were constructed at 1 Clapham Road, London SW9 (Kennington, Lambeth) between 1899 and 1926 to an innovative design. Under the National Health Service Act (1946), in 1948 the hospital was amalgamated with King's College Hospital as part of the King's College Hospital Group (a teaching group managed by a Board of Governors), but remained a children's hospital. The Belgrave Hospital for Children closed after a new hospital, the Variety Club Children's Hospital, opened in 1985. The building was restored in the 1990s after some years of neglect.

Born in Middlesex, 1834; entered the Royal Navy as a cadet, 1848; commissioned as a midshipman, 1850, and served on HMS CALEDONIA, HMS CASTOR and HMS STYX; promoted Lieutenant, 1854, and served on HMS ALGIERS; commanded HMS DAISY (gunboat), 1856; served on HMS BELLEROPHON, [1867-1870]; requested to revise Royal Navy publications, 1874; promoted Captain, and commanded HMS UNDAUNTED, 1875; appointed to the Admiralty Torpedo Committee, 1875; Captain, HMS HIMALAYA, 1879; appointed Director of the Indian Marine, 1881-[1883]; Captain, HMS AMETHYST, 1883, HMS HERCULES, 1885, and HMS BLACK PRINCE, 1887; took part in the Spithead Review, 1887; retired as Captain, 1889; promoted Vice-Admiral, 1896; died 1911. Publications: The Law of Port Helm. An examination into its history and dangerous action; with suggestions for its abolition with Philip Howard Colomb (J D Potter, Harrison & Sons, London, 1866).

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. The renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971. Chelsea merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985.

Born 1887; educated at Uppingham School and University College Oxford; called to the Bar in 1911; served in the World War One where he was awarded the Military Cross, 1914-1918; Conservative MP for Lancaster Division, 1929-1941; Parliamentary Secretary, Board of Education, 1931-1935; Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, 1935-1936; Minister of Pensions, 1936-1939; First Commissioner of Works, 1939-1940; President of the Board of Education, 1940-1941; Chairman of the Assistance Board, 1941-1948; Chairman of the Burnham Committees, 1942-1949; Governor General of Ceylon, 1949-1954; created Viscount Soulbury, 1954; died, 1971.

John M Wrigglesworth was born 4 July 1941 in West Yorkshire; educated at Rothwell Grammar School and Birmingham University, received a first class honours degree in physics, 1959-1962, an MSc in Radiobiology, 1963 and a PhD in Medical Biochemistry, 1965. His first publications were on the enzymology and radiobiology of the ileum and after obtaining his doctorate, Wrigglesworth took his first postdoctoral post, at University of California, Berkeley, working in the laboratory of Professor Lester Packer, 1967-1970; he then returned to England and was appointed as a lecturer in Biochemistry at Chelsea College, 1970. He met Beatrix Price in 1970 and married her in 1971. Wrigglesworth joined the Biochemistry Department at Chelsea College under Harold Baum. During this time he published extensively on iron, membrane topology and the mechanism of electron and proton translocation by cytochrome c oxidase; was made an Honorary Fellow of Peter Mitchell's Glynn Research Institute, 1991; later being awarded a DSc by London University for research in molecular bioenergetics; he was head of teaching in Molecular Life Sciences, King's College London, 1997 to 2000 and retired in 2004.

During the 1980s, whilst at Chelsea College, Wrigglesworth was active with the Association of University Teachers, chairing the local AUT and was very involved in the attempt to prevent the closure of the College. Wrigglesworth became a member of the Biochemical Society, hosting the International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology meeting in Birmingham, in 2000; served as Society Treasurer from 1997 to 2002 and acted as a Trustee of the Biochemical Society Staff Pension Scheme. Towards the end of his time at King's College London Wrigglesworth took a course in philosophy and qualified in medical ethics. Wrigglesworth died 24 June 2005.

Publications: Energy and life (Taylor & Francis, London, 1997) and Biochemical research techniques: a practical introduction Edited by John M. Wrigglesworth Wiley, Chichester, c1983).

The Department of Chemistry traces its origin back to the opening of the South-Western Polytechnic in 1895. Chemistry was initially taught in day classes within the School of Science for Boys and Girls, the Technical Day College for Men and in evening classes. Known as the Chemical Department, it included a metallurgical and pharmaceutical section. In 1927 the Chemical Department was re-named the Department of Chemistry within what was then Chelsea Polytechnic. The work of the department was very diversified and in 1933 the School of Pharmacy became a separate department and in 1939 Metallurgy was transferred to Battersea Polytechnic. Work was seriously disrupted during World War Two and, as in World War One, some of the laboratories were given over for emergency use. In subsequent years, the numbers of full-time students increased rapidly as grant-holding servicemen enrolled and the numbers of full-time research workers also increased. The Polytechnic was designated a College of Advanced Technology in 1957. Changes were made to the constitution of the Board of Governors to provide greater representation to industrial and professional activities. Work below the standard of University degrees including Intermediate teaching was discontinued and the College was renamed Chelsea College of Science and Technology. The Department of Chemistry introduced a sandwich course leading to graduate membership of the Royal Institute of Chemistry, which was discontinued in 1961. In 1966 the College was admitted as a School of the University of London and was renamed Chelsea College. It merged with King's College London and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985 to create King's College London (KQC).

Classes in Physics and Electrical Engineering were made available at the South-Western Polytechnic from 1895. The two disciplines were separated in 1906 and in 1918 the Departments of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering were transferred to Battersea Polytechnic. An Engineering Science course in Electronics was reintroduced in 1967 at the successor to the South-Western/Chelsea Polytechnic, Chelsea College of Science and Technology. This Department of Electronics then merged with King's College London Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering in 1985. It is now known as the Department of Electronic Engineering, and is part of the Division of Engineering within the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering at King's College London.

In 1965 the Nuffield Foundation Science Teaching Project (NFSTP) set aside £100,000 for a programme of curriculum development in Biology A-level (BAL). The work was directed by joint organisers, Mr J P Kelly (of NFSTP) and Mr W H Dowdeswell (of Winchester College), and was guided by a consultative committee under the chairmanship of Professor J H Burnett, Professor of Botany at Newcastle University, with Professor D R Newth, Professor of Zoology at Glasgow University, as vice-chairman. The trials scheme was initially devised for the period September 1966 to July 1968. The teaching materials developed for the scheme included the Teachers' Guide, the Laboratory Handbook and the Projects Handbook. The students received the Laboratory Guide and Practical Book, the Problem Book and Student Study Books and Papers.

Henri Cernuschi was born in Milan in 1821. He became involved in the Revolutions of 1848 when still student. In 1850 he left Italy for France, where he became a successful banker and writer on economics, known for his advocacy of bimetallism. He was expelled from France in 1870 during the last days of Napoleon III's rule, but returned a few months later when the Imperials regime collapsed. During the 1870s Cernuschi travelled in East Asia and collected many examples of Asian art. On his death, he bequeathed his collection to the City of Paris, where today it is open to the public as the Musée Cernuschi.

John Gale Jones was born in Middlesex in 1769. He was educated at Merchant Taylors' School before practising as an apothecary and surgeon. During the 1790s he became known as an active political radical, which brought him to the notice of prominent radicals but probably had a negative effect on his medical career. He continued to campagin politically until about 1819, with little success, and served two prison terms for libel.

Samuel Smiles was born in Haddington, East Lothian in 1812. He studied medicine in Edinburgh. He also became a journalist, lecturer and campaigner for political reform, writing radical articles for regional newsapers, most often in Leeds. In later years he worked for railway companies and the National Provident Institution, and also became a noted biographer. Smiles's radical views mellowed into liberalism and his writings turned towards advocating self-improvement. His book Self Help, with illustrations of character and conduct. (1859) became a bestseller and was translated into more than ten languages.

Samuel Roberts was born in Sheffield in 1763. He began work in his family's silverware factory aged 14. From the age of 27 he wrote extensively on social issues such as poverty, gambling and crime, initially in local newspapers and later also in pamphlets and books. He always considered writing secondary to his successful business career and through choice never made a profit from it. His opposition to slavery and child labour brought him into contact with Willliam Wilberforce, who became a close friend.

Gaston Paris was born in Avenay, Marne, France, and developed a love of French literature in early childhood. He became Professor of Medieval Literature at the College de France in 1872 and Director of the College in 1895. He was elected to the Academie francaise in 1896. Paris's work as a linguistic scholar, literary critic and medievalist (including contributions to the Histoire litteraire de la France) was both acclaimed and influential. He died at Cannes.

William Fiennes was born in Oxfordshire in 1582. He was educated at Winchester College and at New College, Oxford. He succeeded his father as Baron Saye and Sele in 1613 and was made a viscount in 1624; he was active in the House of Lords and, staunchly protestant, was often deeply opposed to the policies of King Charles I. During the Civil War he supported and fought for the Parliamentarians; he was opposed to the King's execution, however, and retired from active politics during the Protectorate. Fiennes accepted the Restoration of the monarchy and was made a privy counsellor by Charles II in 1660, less than two years before his death.

John Eliot was the son of John Eliot (1735-1813), a Quaker merchant and London underwriter. John the younger's older sister Mariabella Howard (1769-1852) was the wife of the chemist and meterologist Luke Howard (1772-1864) and the mother of John Eliot Howard (1807-1883), famous for his research into quinine.

Samuel Quincy was born in Braintree (in an area now part of the city of Quincy), Massachusetts, in 1734. He was educated at Harvard. After graduating, he studied law and was called to the Suffolk bar in 1758. Whilst his younger brother Josiah, also a lawyer, supported the American revolutionary movement, Samuel supported the British colonial government. He left America for England in 1775, shortly after the Revolution broke out, to take up a job with the British government; his wife Hannah, whom he had married in 1761, and their children remained in New England with her brother Henry Hill. In 1780 he moved to Antigua to become Comptroller of Customs, where his family were able to rejoin him. Quincy was fond of music and theatre, wrote poetry, and kept a detailed diary of his time in London and Paris.

No information relating to Miss Grace W Treadwell was available at the time of compilation.