Mostrando 15888 resultados

Registro de autoridad

Lloyd Kenyon was born in 1732. He entered Middle Temple in 1750 and was called to the bar in February 1756. He worked in the courts of equity and common law, and became a highly respected and well known legal figure, rising to the rank of judge. In 1788 he was made lord chief justice. He was married to his cousin, Mary Kenyon. He died in 1802.

For a more detailed history see Douglas Hay, 'Kenyon, Lloyd, first Baron Kenyon (1732-1802)', Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, Oct 2009.

Two members of the Maxse family are mentioned in these papers. James Maxse (1792-1864) was a wealthy landowner and keen huntsman. His second son Frederick Augustus Maxse (1833-1900) entered the Navy and became a lieutenant in 1852. He served in the Crimean war and was promoted to Rear-Admiral by 1875. He was known as a radical and free-thinker, a vegetarian and tee-totaller, who advocated free secular education and electoral reform. He travelled frequently and was restless, buying and building several houses. His elder son Sir Frederick Ivor Maxse (1862-1958) had a distinguished career in the military, while his younger son Leopold James Maxse (1864-1932) was editor of the National Review.

Source of information: Roger T. Stearn, 'Maxse, Frederick Augustus (1833-1900)', Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, May 2006.

Worshipful Company of Mercers

Mercers were dealers in textiles, exporting wool and importing silks, linen and velvet. The Company received its royal charter in 1394. The Company has connections with many schools and makes grants to various educational bodies. The Company Hall is in Ironmonger Lane, built in 1694.

Paine , family , of Deptford

Two Paines are mentioned in the records: James Paine, a school master from the parish of St Nicholas Deptford; and Daniel George Paine, a stationer based on the High Street, Deptford.

John Evelyn Ansell (1860-1936) was Chief Clerk of the Middlesex Deeds Registry, later the Middlesex Deeds Department of the Land Registry Office, from 1889, when Lord Truro was Registrar, until c 1921. Ansell's report of 1891 (Ref. F/ANS/014) gives a detailed picture of the operation and staffing of the Registry at that date. From the evidence in F/ANS/001, 002, 003/1 and 009 it appears that he was concerned in the 'Office of Universal Knowledge' set up by Lord Truro before 1889.

Samuel Augustus Barnett was born in Bristol in 1844 and after a period at Wadham College, Oxford, he became a curate at St. Mary's, Bryanston Square in 1867. During the next six years, in contact with Octavia Hill and the Charity Organisation Society, he discovered his capacity for social work. His marriage in 1873 to a helper of Miss Hill, Miss Henrietta Octavia Rowland, coincided with his acceptance of the parish of St. Jude, Whitechapel. At Whitechapel, both threw themselves into social work, organising flower shows, art shows, and the Children's Country Holiday Fund, and helping such differing groups as pupil teachers, young servant girls, and convalescents.

Much of this work received great impetus with the founding of Toynbee Hall in 1883-1884 and the settlement in the parish of up to twenty young graduates intent on curing the social ailments of Whitechapel. Although much involved in the University Extension Scheme, and Warden and later President of Toynbee Hall, Barnett did not concentrate solely on these two aspects of social reform. The majority of his activities were in fact conceived before the founding of Toynbee Hall.

As a Guardian of the Poor and as a School Manager, Barnett had considerable local influence. This influence was widened by his evidence to several parliamentary committees and by the appointment of his wife to serve on the Departmental Committee to inquire into the condition of Poor Law Schools in 1894.

Barnett extended his activities to Bristol, where he was canon and later sub-dean from 1906 to his death in 1913. However, in the latter period of his life he was far more involved in meditation than in social work. In these years his influence worked through his friendship with the Webbs, Lord Courtney, Sir John Gorst, Cyril Jackson, Harold and J.A. Spender and the many past residents at Toynbee Hall.

Throughout their married life, the Barnetts went abroad frequently. They did this on the one hand to relieve the intense strain of life in Whitechapel and on the other hand because of their belief in the value of travel to the mind. When they did travel, they involved themselves in the social work of the country in which they found themselves and, on occasion, they shared the joys of travel with over 100 people from East London. Another means of relieving the strain of Whitechapel was frequent retreat to their cottage in Spaniards Row, Hampstead. Around their life in the suburbs they attracted many dependants, firstly in the form of unhappy servant girls at Harrow Cottage, secondly convalescents at Erskine House, Hampstead, and thirdly Henrietta Barnett's ward, Dorothy Noel Woods, who died in 1901.

From Hampstead, Mrs Barnett drew her greatest strength. Whilst the Canon became more meditative, she continued her life of action by the promotion and foundation of the Hampstead Garden Suburb in the years following 1903. Although the Barnetts had no children, his brother had four, one of whom died in childhood. His brother had continued the family business in Bristol and took an active part in local politics as a Liberal councillor. His death in 1908 was a severe shock to the Canon who, however, continued writing his letters to his sister-in-law, his niece Mary Barnett, and his two nephews. The eldest nephew, S.H.G. Barnett, went into engineering, and the other, Stephen, emigrated to New Zealand as a farmer.

James Beal was born in 1829. He was active in social and political reform from the 1850s and became a well-known figure in London radical and municipal reform circles. He frequently appears in The Times, mainly in his role as honorary secretary of the Metropolitan Municipal Association for promoting the better local government of the metropolis. He described himself as "the only man who can claim to be the author of the proposal to establish one representative municipality for all London" (The Times, 1 April 1889). In 1888 Beal was elected to the London County Council for Fulham. He was a prominent member of the Vestry of St James's Westminster.

Beal was also involved in other causes, including the reform of gas and water supply, emancipation and anti-slavery movements, women's education and rights, Jewish rights, industrial relations and reform of City livery companies. He died in 1891 aged 62.

For his obituary see The Times, Friday, Jun 12, 1891; pg. 9; Issue 33349; col F.

Andrew Brown Donaldson was born in 1838, the second son of William Leverton Donaldson. He studied art at both the Royal Academy School and in Rome. Although working mainly in London, he undertook frequent painting trips to Europe. His works were exhibited at the Royal Academy, the Society of Painters, and also in numerous provincial exhibitions.

In June 1872 Donaldson married Agnes Emily Twining, the youngest daughter of the tea merchant, Richard Twining.

Unknown

The Rivington family were booksellers, based at Saint Paul's Churchyard, City of London.

Herbert Willmott, born in 1869, was Chief Engineer and Secretary to the Governor of the United Provinces, India, until his retirement in 1923. He and his wife then lived in Brittany, paying visits to London and to Switzerland, until in 1928 they settled in Earls Court, Kensington. With his wife's sister and brother-in-law, they toured Europe from December 1937 until September 1939, when obliged to return to England by the outbreak of war. Back in Kensington, he served as an Air Raid Warden. He died in 1951. His interests included the Church, the League of Nations Union, the Charity Organisation Society, and the theatre.

West , family , of St Pancras, London

The West family had property in St Pancras including houses in Egremont Place (later Euston Road) and Camden Road Villas. Several members of the family spent time in India between the 1810s and the 1870s.

The Hospital for Diseases of the Throat in Golden Square was founded in 1862 by Dr Morell Mackenzie, a pioneer of laryngology. It began as a free dispensary, but soon adopted a provident system whereby patients contributed towards the cost of their treatment.

The hospital was sufficiently successful for the Prince of Wales to become Patron in 1872; however, from this point Golden Square suffered a number of setbacks. Between July 1873 and November 1874 the hospital was unsuccessful both in its attempt to gain a royal charter and its application to the Board of Trade for incorporation. Three Trustees were subsequently appointed to manage the affairs of the hospital: Lord Charles Bruce, Colonel Percy Fielding and Dr Morell Mackenzie, but it continued to deteriorate. In 1878 an enquiry into the financial management of the hospital resulted in the withdrawal of Royal Patronage. Members of staff began to desert the hospital in droves; Lennox Browne and Llewellyn Thomas left in 1874 to set up their own establishment, and between 1876 and 1877 seven further members of staff (including the Chairman of the Management Committee, Matron and Secretary) resigned over an incident with a patient.

In 1904, the King's Fund put forward a proposal to merge the five ENT hospitals in London: the Hospital for Diseases of the Throat in Golden Square, the Central London Throat Nose and Ear Hospital in Gray's Inn Road, the Royal Ear Hospital in Huntley Street, the London Throat Hospital in Portland Street, and the Metropolitan Ear Nose and Throat Hospital in Fitzroy Square. The Hospital for Diseases of the Throat in Golden Square eventually decided to merge with the London Throat Hospital in 1918. The Royal Ear Hospital merged with University College Hospital in the following year. In 1939, the decision was taken to amalgamate with the Central London Throat Nose and Ear Hospital, and a joint Committee of Management was formed.

The merger was delayed by the outbreak of war, during which, in 1940, the hospital was slightly damaged by bombing. Golden Square had a number of eminent surgeons on its staff, including Charles Heath (1856-1934) who invented the anti-gas helmet used by British soldiers in World War I, George Cathcart (1861-1951) who financed the first Prom with Henry Wood and Lionel Colledge (1883-1948) who was instrumental in the amalgamation of Golden Square with the Central London, and in whose honour the Royal College of Surgeons awards the annual Lionel Colledge Fellowship.

North-West London Hospital

The North-West London Hospital (NWLH) was opened in 1878 in Kentish Town Road, founded by the Misses Learmonth for the benefit of the working classes of this densely populated area. It was unusual, for its time, in offering a designated childrens' ward. A new wing was added six years later, but by 1890 the hospital was facing serious financial difficulties. Finally, in 1907, when work on the new building of the Hampstead General Hospital (formerly Hampstead Home Hospital and Nursing Institute) was in jeopardy owing to lack of funds, the King's Fund suggested that these two hospitals merge, and on that condition provided funds for the project. Thereafter the in-patients were treated in the new Hampstead General on Haverstock Hill and outpatients at the Camden site. In 1912 a new outpatients department was built at Bayham Street, in the house in which Charles Dickens had lived as a boy, replacing the NWLH once and for all. However, the name lived on in the official title of the joint institution "The Hampstead General and North-West London Hospital" until 1948.
All surviving record series from the merged Hampstead General Hospital continue from record series of the Hampstead Home Hospital and Nursing Institute; records in this collection therefore survive solely from the NWLH up to 1908.

The London School of Medicine for Women was the first medical school in Britain to allow women to train to become fully qualified doctors. Many pioneering women doctors trained and worked at the School, including Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, Louisa Aldrich-Blake, and Mary Scharlieb.

Until 1874 it was almost impossible for women to train as doctors in Britain. Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, who was Dean of the School from 1883-1903, was actually the first woman to qualify in Medicine, but as soon as she had done so, in 1865, the loophole which allowed her to do so was closed, preventing others from following in her footsteps.

The London School of Medicine for Women was set up by a group of pioneering women physicians, led by Sophia Jex-Blake, who had been expelled from Edinburgh University after beginning their medical training, together with some male doctors who supported women's entry into the medical profession. It was the first medical school in Britain to admit women, and the only school to do so until 1886.

The School opened in 1874, in a small house in Henrietta Street, off Brunswick Square. At first, students were taught in laboratories and classrooms at the School by a group of male lecturers. Then in 1877, an agreement was reached with the Royal Free Hospital which allowed students at the London School of Medicine for Women to complete their clinical studies on its wards. The Royal Free Hospital was the first teaching hospital in London to admit women for training. In recognition of this relationship, in 1898 the School changed its name to The London (Royal Free Hospital) School of Medicine for Women.

The School building was rebuilt and enlarged in 1898. The main entrance was moved to the Hunter Street side of the building, and the address changed to reflect this. The School was further enlarged in 1914, when the number of women wishing to study medicine made it necessary to practically double the number of laboratories and lecture rooms. At this time the school had over 300 students, making it the largest of the women's university colleges in Britain. In just 40 years the number of women on the medical register had increased from two to 1000, 600 of whom were graduates of the School.

The School was noted for its strong links with other countries, beginning in 1890 when the first Indian female student enrolled. Many students went abroad to help train female doctors in cultures where women could not be seen by male doctors. This part of the School's mission was encouraged by Queen Victoria, who felt very strongly that all her subjects in the Empire should have access to proper medical treatment.

Increasing numbers of students were admitted, particularly when the First World War took many male medical students overseas. Past students of the School did valiant work for the war effort at this time, voluntarily staffing all-female medical units across Europe, and female medical students who were refugees from European universities also joined the School temporarily.

The School remained women-only until 1948, when all medical schools became co-educational under the newly inaugurated National Health Service (NHS). This necessitated another change of name for the School, to the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine.

By the 1950s, the School was pre-eminent in medical research, known particularly for its Medical Unit, renal unit and haemophilia centre.

When the Royal Free Hospital moved to Hampstead in 1974, the school followed, finally moving all its activities from Hunter Street by 1983.

After World War Two the School was threatened by three successive government reports (in 1946, 1968 and 1980), either with closure or with merger with another school. Each time the School rejected the proposals. In 1998 however, the School finally merged with University College London to form a new school, the Royal Free and University College Medical School. In October 2008 it was officially renamed UCL Medical School.

Various.

Henry Andrade Harben was born in 1849, son of Sir Henry Harben, Director and Chairman of the Prudential Assurance Company. Harben studied to become a lawyer and was called to the bar in 1871. In 1879 he followed his father as Director of the Prudential (he succeeded him as Chairman in 1907). As well as his work as a lawyer Harben sat on several local administration committees and served as Mayor of Paddington. He was also an antiquarian and researcher, becoming fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in 1893. Harben died in 1910, leaving his collection of antiquarian books, maps, drawings, and prints to the London County Council. His major work was the Dictionary of London, which was published posthumously in 1917.

Acton Residents Association

Residents' associations campaign on issues affecting the local area, and aim to maintain and improve the quality of life for residents.

There are currently three associations in the Acton area: the Acton Green Residents Association, the West Acton Residents Association and the South Acton Residents Action Group.

This commercial company developed high density housing blocks for artisans in Central London. It was founded by Sydney Waterlow in 1863 at the time of many philanthropic housing developments. Registered Office in 1925: 5 Grosvenor Crescent, London, SW1.

The company started with an initial capital of £50,000 and its shareholders included MP's, lawyers, builders and merchants. It built in blocks of 5-7 storeys providing self contained housing for artisans. By 1871 over 1,000 dwellings were occupied and the company profits grew above 5 per cent dividend paid. It worked from standard plans (prepared by a surveyor rather than an architect) and built many estates including Wapping, Cromwell buildings Southwark, Kings Cross Road, Old Street, Pancras Road, Greenwich, High Street Islington and Bethnal Green.

This collection also contains records of two subsidiary companies, Greencoat Properties Ltd and the Soho, Clerkenwell and General Industrial Dwellings Company Limited.

The company is described in the Post Office Directory of 1888 as glass manufacturers and importers of gas fittings, paraffin lamps, glasses, chimneys, gasburners. It was established in 1881 and was incorporated as a limited company in 1887. Around 1880, Falk Stadelmann immigrated to London from Hochberg, Germany. The directors of the company were Mr S. Guiterman (Chairman), Salomon Falk (Managing Director), and Bernhardt Thurnauer (permanent Director). It was a private company in 1908. By 1914, the company (with around 900 employees) was a manufacturer of all material associated with lighting and heating, with their specialities being oil lamps, gas mantles and electric lamps. By 1920, it became one of the largest oils companies in Britain. The German 'Veritas' trademark was made available to Falk Stadelmann in London, and during the inter-war years it became a major brand (the company marketed all kinds of wick and candle lamp). In 1928, it was reverted to a public company. By 1930, it employed around 3,000 people.

The company suffered poor trading years in the late 1960s, causing it to go into decline. It was taken over by Jessel Investments in the 1960s, and Jessel Securities acquired Falks Industries (including its subsidiaries Stoves Limited and Falks Veritas) in 1970. The company changed its name to Falks Limited in 1962 and to Falks Industries Limited in 1970. Subsidiary companies included Falks Heating Limited and Falks (N.Z.) Limited (until 1951 known as Welsbach Light Company of Australasia Limited).

By the 1960s and 70s, the company manufactured incandescent gas mantles, electric cables, electric bells and bell indicators, neon luminous cable signs, lighting fixtures, industrial light reflectors, heating and cooking appliances for gas, and electricity and petroleum.

Addresses:

1887- 1888 Mar: 43 Farringdon Road; 1888-1890: 68A Cowcross Street Smithfield (Oil trade counter moved to Cowcross Street/ Gas department, offices, showroom, stock rooms and warehouse remains at 43 Farringdon Road); 1890-?: 83-93 Farringdon Road; 1970: 16 Finsbury Circus (when Jessel Securities take over).

The National Council of Voluntary Organisations (formerly the National Council of Social Service) grew out of the beliefs that the best way to preserve voluntary services would be if the diverse agencies came together in an overall council to eliminate confusion and overlap; and that they should work together with the newly developing statutory services. The first step in setting up the National Council was the issue in March 1919 of a memorandum from the Local Government Board with a covering letter signed by Sir Aubrey Simmons, then secretary of the Board and first chairman of the council. The memorandum recommended the formation of local councils of social service and set out the aims of a future National Council of Social Service, together with the names of members and bodies giving their support.

In 1919 the councils objectives were:

  • to promote the systematic organisation of voluntary social work, nationally and locally.
  • to assist in the formation in each local government area representations of both voluntary effort and statutory administration.
  • to provide information for voluntary social workers.

    Captain Lionel Ellis was the only paid officer in 1919, and Professor WGS Adams took over from Aubrey Simmons as Chairman for the next 30 years. By 1924 the NCSS was soundly established and on 14 May 1928 was awarded charitable status in the High Court. In this same year the NCSS moved to its first headquarters at 26 Bedford Square, London WC1. The work of the NCSS between the wars was beset by problems, most notably the economic welfare of the countryside, rural depopulation, housing and the increasing problem of unemployment. Its answer was to establish and support the rural movement by means of Community Councils, citizens advise bureaux, support to the elderly and disabled and to provide secretariat for branches of groups such as the National Playing Fields Association.

    1969 was the Golden Jubilee of the NCSS celebrated in Guildhall with a reception attended by HM the Queen, HRH the Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh and over 900 guests. The 50th year marked a new look and reorganisation for the NCSS by the review committee concluding that the NCSS 'should be seen as one living, vigorous entity and not a federation of varied and autonomous associated bodies'. One of the most important roles of the NCSS in the 1970s was that of an information and advice resource. Their role in the rural communities by the provision of advice on all matters and their efforts continued both nationally and internationally.

    On 1st April 1980 the NCSS became the National Council for Voluntary Organisations. An extraordinary general meeting called in July 1973 discussed the name change; since the implementation of the Social Services Act in 1970 confusion had arisen between voluntary and statutory bodies. Its new aims as set down in the 1980 Annual Report were:

  • to extend the involvement of voluntary organisations in responding to social issues
  • to be a resource centre for voluntary organisations
  • to protect the interests and independence of voluntary organisation.

    One of its key roles was to make skills, guidance and advice available to all charities and voluntary organisations as well as developing new models of social support. NCVO increased its membership by 150 in 3 years with a striking number of new members providing aid for illness or disability and furthermore opened membership to leading organisations in relevant fields of activity. In the early 1980s these were 528 members, links with 159 councils for voluntary service and 38 rural community councils. It had 8 major departments and employed 152 staff.

    In the early 1990s the NCVO established a working party to make recommendations on developing and maintaining high standards of efficiency and effectiveness within the voluntary sector. The report "Effectiveness and the Voluntary Sector" set out an agenda for action by NCVO and the wider voluntary sector - with emphasis on effectiveness in management and services within voluntary bodies. The Corporate Affiliation Scheme was launched in 1989 attracting 20 leading companies and in 1992 NCVO played a large role in the Charities Act 1992 by making representations to improve the Bill and by guiding Charities through the new law.

    In June 1992 the NCVO moved from Bedford Square to Regent's Wharf, London W1 where they remain today, continuing its role as the "voice of the voluntary sector".

The Metropolitan Association (founded 1841, incorporated by Royal Charter 1845) was the first organisation to build 'social' housing on a large scale. It was part of the philanthropic movement which reserved the right to profit for the investor (commonly known as Five Per Cent Philanthropy). Its pioneering block dwellings in Old Pancras Road, London were completed in 1848 and acted as a model for future developments in other big cities. Indeed the Association had branches in Liverpool, Newcastle, Torquay, Bristol, Wolverhampton, Sunderland, Brighton, Dudley, Ramsgate and Southampton.

These plans were created for the London and South Western Railway and the South Eastern Railway. The London and South Western Railway developed from a decision in 1832 to create a railway from London to Southampton, whilst the South Eastern Railway developed from a proposal in 1824 for a railway between London and the Kent Countryside.

Unknown

Part of the parish of St. Andrew, Holborn was partly in Middlesex and partly in the City of London. Grays Inn Lane was in Middlesex.

The Red Lion Inn was situated in the parish of Saint Andrew, Holborn. According to the Scavengers Rate Books of Saint Andrew and Saint George the Martyr, 1729-1757, kept at the Holborn Reference Library, the inn lay on the east side of Gray's Inn Lane, the ninth property from Liquorpond Street and the third from Portpool Lane. This is confirmed by the marking of Red Lion Yard on Horwood's map of 1819. The site appears to be approximately that of the present 88-90 Gray's Inn Road, Liquorpond Street having been widened and renamed Clerkenwell Road.

Children's Country Holiday Fund

The Children's Country Holidays Fund was set up in 1884 to provide "fresh air for ailing London children" (Annual Report 1884).

Its objective was to give invalid or disadvantaged children visits in the Country within a 50 mile radius of London of not less than 2 weeks. The children were boarded with local "cottagers" who were paid by the society to look after the children, along with a parental contribution.

Local Committees were set up in areas around London to select children felt to be worthy of such holidays.

The College was founded in 1893 by the National Society in the disused Brew House of the Archbishop of Canterbury at Lambeth Palace. Here, training was provided for teachers of Cookery and Laundry. Housewifery was added to the curriculum in the first decade of the twentieth century after the College had acquired additional premises in Charles Street, Southwark.

In 1902, under the will of the late Mr Richard Berridge, a large sum of money became available for technical education and in 1904 the Board of Education approved a scheme submitted by the National Society for building a new college. Land was acquired in Hampstead, a Governing Body set up and in 1908 the specially planned building, Berridge House, was completed.

After the move to Hampstead, the curriculum was expanded to include technical courses, and later on, a three year course leading to the Teacher's Certificate of the University of London Institute of Education was offered.

As the College continued to expand, the following premises were also used to provide teaching rooms and accommodation: 54 Fortune Green Road (from October 1913), 52 Fortune Green Road (from September 1915), 13 Parsifal Road (from June 1927), 15 Parsifal Road (from 1929), 6 Parsifal Road (from October 1929) and "the annex", a former church hall, in Fortune Green Road (from September 1930). In 1932 the Field Lane School and its land adjoining the College was bought and adapted. This formed the 'West Wing' which was later re-named Maughan House. In 1937 Holland House was built in the grounds of Maughan House.

During World War One Berridge House was occupied by the WRAF and used as a school for instruction. It re-opened in September 1919. In World War Two the college buildings were requisitioned, and the staff and students moved to Bournemouth. Princes Hotel, Bournemouth, became the college headquarters, Pokesdown Technical Institute at Boscombe provided facilities for teaching cookery, and science and laundry lessons were held in Bournemouth Municipal College. Further accommodation for teaching and residence was found in the hotels in the City.

In March 1945 the National Society requested the Council of the Church Training Colleges to accept Berridge House into its federation. Sixteen years later it was decided that Berridge House should be amalgamated with another church training college, and in 1964 it joined St. Katherine's College, Tottenham, to form the College of All Saints, White Hart Lane, Tottenham. Berridge House continued in use for Home Economics until September 1965.

Guild of Memorial Craftsmen

The Guild of Memorial Craftsmen was established in 1949. Its aim and objectives were:
-To use its best endeavours and to do everything to the best of its ability to raise the Standard of Memorial design and craftsmanship and disseminate knowledge in relation thereto.
-To publish and circulate to the general public and in particular to Ecclesiastical and Cemetery Authorities brochures and literature.
-To use its best endeavours to promote by all suitable means the education of public taste in the matter of improved design and craftsmanship and to hold meetings with this aim in view.
-To do everything it legitimately can to further the interest of its members and to employ its funds for that purpose.

The Guild's business, including election of members, was run by a court. The court was elected annually at the AGM and consisted of not more than 12 Guildsmen including the Master and the Warden. Membership was open to all practising sculptors, carvers and memorial craftsmen.

London Commercial Chess League

These records relate to a number of chess clubs understood to be affiliated or related to the London Commercial Chess League in the late 1930s.

Various.

These 1473 photographs of London views, buildings, and sights appear to have been taken in sets relating to specific subjects during the period 1948-1981, as part of a deliberate project. Most of the photographs give descriptions on the reverse.

Unknown.

Artists whose work appears in these photographs include:

Robert Adams; Dorothy Annan; Raymond Arnott; Franta Belsky; Perry Brown; Ralph Brown; Penelope Callender; Francis Carr; David Chapman; Siegfried Charoux; Robert Chatworthy; Hubert Dalwood; Robyn Denny; Professor Frank Dobson; Alan Durst; George Ehrlich; Merlyn Evans; Mary Fedden; Elizabeth Frink; Professor A.H. Gerrard; Stephen Gilbert; Sydney Harpley; Aileen Hart; Henry Henghes; Barbara Hepworth; Gertrude Hermes; John Hoskin; Karin Jozen; F.E. McWilliam; Kenneth Martin; Bernard Meadows; Fred Millett; John W. Mills; Dennis Mitchell; George Mitchell; William Mitchell; Henry Moore; Uli Nimptoch; Tom Painter; Victor Passmore; Oliffe Richmond; Willi Soukop; Lesley South; Steven Sykes; Trevor Tenant; Mrs D. Thomas; Miss M. Traherne; William Turnbull; John Verney; Kavel Vogel; Althea Wynne and David Wynne.

Associated Newspaper Group

Associated Newspaper Group owns the Daily Mail, the Mail on Sunday, the Evening Standard and the free Metro newspaper. The Daily Mail is the Group's flagship paper, founded in 1896.

The School for Boys was instituted in 1698, in Saint Giles, Cripplegate, and derived its name of 'Grey Coat School' from the boys at that time being dressed in that colour. When the area was made a district parish under the name of St. Luke, Middlesex, the School was called the St Luke Charity School. The School was inaugurated and maintained by voluntary subscriptions and donations - the subscribers being managers and governors at the same time.

The Girls Schools was instituted in 1761 by voluntary subscriptions.

As time passed and the population of the district grew, the Managers felt the Schools' accommodation was insufficient for its requirements. Efforts to enlarge the premises by purchasing adjacent properties were unsuccessful, and as the wealthy began to leave the neighbourhood, support for the Schools dwindled.

The subscribers formed an investment committee and gradually built up funds as well as purchasing in 1853 ground rents of property in Marylebone Lane and Holborn. By 1863 further purchases were made in Cleveland Street, St. Pancras and Westmoreland Place.

Now the School was in a position to move from Golden Lane to a larger premises in Old Street on land owned by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

Funds were sought for the erection of a new school and in 1870 the foundation stone was laid for a building capable of holding 400 children.

The School's name was later changed to 'The Saint Luke's Parochial School' and by 1904 although the School was parochial in nature it was not exclusively so, since many of the children educated there, were not necessarily from the parish.

The Aged Pilgrims' Friend Society was founded in 1807, providing pensions and almshouses for elderly Christians. A residential care home was opened in Hornsey Rise in 1871. By 1928 the charity had homes at Camberwell, Stamford Hill, Brighton, and Gerrards Cross. The Society is now known as the Pilgrims' Friend Society and continues to manage residential care homes and sheltered accommodation across England.

The Metropolitan Benefit Societies Asylum (MBSA) was established in 1829 under the patronage of her Majesty the Queen and the Duchess of Kent. It was supported by voluntary contributions. The objectives of the MBSA were to 'afford an asylum for the reception of aged and infirm members of Friendly Societies.'

The original asylum was located in houses rented for the purpose, however once sufficient funds were raised the almshouses at 100 Balls Pond Road, Hackney, were erected. The foundation stone was laid on August 17th 1836 by the then Lord Mayor, W. Taylor Copeland, and the total cost of the building came to £3600.

The asylum was built to accommodate 28 residents and was eventually expanded with the addition of two side wings affording accommodation for 64 couples. Sometime during the period up to the Second World war the Society changed its name from 'Asylum' to 'Almshouses'.

The MBSA was registered under the Friendly Societies Acts as a Benevolent Society, and although in later years it no longer came under the patronage of the Queen it still retained its voluntary contributions mainly from the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Subsequently the Benevolent Society registered under the Friendly Societies Act was dissolved and a new society was registered under The Charity Acts, enabling them to apply to form a Housing Association. The MBSA was registered in 1986 as a charity, and a Housing Association.

Since then much work has been done on the Almshouse building itself creating a Warden's residence and office, a central community block and 13 two room flats for residents.

Various.

Buildings featured include the:
Ritzy Cinema, Brixton;
The Palace, Denmark Hill;
Empire Music Hall, Camberwell;
Peckham Crown Theatre;
Hippodrome, Peckham;
Bingo Club, Peckham;
Empire, New Cross Road;
Broadway Theatre, Deptford;
Wellington Street, Woolwich;
Grand Theatre, Woolwich;
Hippodrome and Brownhill Road, Catford;
The Oxford, Oxford Street;
Palladium, London;
The Empire, Leicester Square;
The Alhambra, Leicester Square;
Daly's Theatre;
The Hippodrome, London;
Theatre Royal, Haymarket;
His Majesty's Theatre;
Lyric Theatre;
The Globe Theatre;
Cambridge Cross and Palace Theatre;
Wyndhams Theatre;
Garrick Theatre;
The Coliseum;
Duke of York's Theatre;
The Opera House, Covent Garden;
Drury Lane Theatre;
Vaudeville Theatre;
Adelphi Theatre;
Gaiety Theatre;
Waldorf Theatre, Kingsway;
The Old Vic;
St. James Theatre;
Imperial Theatre;
Euston Music Hall;
Camden Theatre, Camden;
Deacons Music Hall;
Sadler's Wells;
Collin's Music Hall, Islington;
Marlborough Theatre, Holloway;
Empire, Holloway Road;
Hackney Empire, Mare Street;
Finsbury Park Empire;
Alexandra Theatre;
The Palace, Stoke Newington Road;
Hippodrome, Golders Green;
Tottenham Palace;
Walthamstow Palace;
Hippodrome, Poplar;
Hippodrome, Harlesden;
Palace, East Ham;
Walham Green, The Broadway;
Coronet Theatre, Notting Hill Gate;
Grand Theatre, Fulham;
Shepherd's Bush Empire;
Kings Theatre, Hammersmith;
Chiswick Empire;
Ealing Hippodrome;
Grand Music Hall, Clapham Junction;
Hippodrome, Balham;
Duchess Theatre, Balham;
Wimbledon Theatre;
Prince of Wales Theatre, Richmond-upon-Thames;
Grand Theatre, Croydon;
Prince of Wales Theatre, Kennington;
Borough Theatre, Stratford; and
Grand Opera House, Croydon.

Actors featured include:
Sir Henry Irving;
Harry Tate;
Kitty Colyer;
Mr and Mrs Kendal;
Eugene Stratton;
Hetty King;
Marie Lloyd;
Alec Burley;
Little Tich;
George Robey;
Fanny Fields;
Fred Terry;
Julia Neilson;
Gertie Gitana;
Elsie Craven;
Beerholm Tree;
Sir Charles Wyndham;
Arthur Bouchier;
Maud Allen;
Fred Emney;
Harry Fragson;
Harry Randall;
Walter Passmore;
Camille Clifford;
Cyril Maude;
Gladys Cooper;
Seymour Hicks;
Ellaline Terriss;
George Alexander;
Lewis Waller;
Henry J. Wood;
Ellen Terry; and
Mrs Patrick Campbell.

Finnart House School, originally known as the Hayes Certified Industrial School for Jewish Boys, was opened in February 1901. Prior to this date there had been no specifically Jewish institution for the education and training of abandoned or problematic boys. The East London Industrial School at Lewisham had accepted some Jewish pupils, but had become less willing to do so by the turn of the century and so the establishment of a suitable school became a pressing concern for the Visitation Committee of the United Synagogue. Support came from the Rothschild family, which was instrumental to the foundation of the school in Hayes, Middlesex. The school was certified by the Secretary of State to receive 60 boys, although this number quickly became insufficient and an extension to the building was built in 1909. By 1918 the school held 128 boys.

However, from 1920 onwards, despite the educational success of the school, the number of pupils progressively declined. This decline was due to the fact that fewer Jewish boys were committed to the school by the courts, which was in part a consequence of legislative changes brought about by the Criminal Justice Act (1925) and the Children and Young Persons Act (1933). It became obvious during the 1930s that the Hayes School was too large for their needs, and a decision was made to remove entirely from the rapidly industrialising area. The old school building was let to the Middlesex County Council to be used as a Senior Approved School, and in 1937 the former Hayes School was reopened at Finnart House, Oatlands Drive in Weybridge, Sussex.

After the move numbers in the school continued to decline, and it was no longer considered a reasonable demand on public funds to maintain a specifically Jewish Approved Junior School. As a consequence a decision was made at the end of the 1930s to admit Church of England boys along side any Jewish boys still referred to the school.

Finnart House School was closed in the 1970s when the running of such institutions was passed into the hands of Local Authorities. The issue of who should benefit from the sale of the school and grounds eventually made its way, as a test case, to the House of Lords. Ultimately a trust was set up for the aid of underprivileged Jewish children.

Association of County Councils

The Association of County Councils (ACC) was formed in 1974 and succeeded the County Councils Association which was founded in 1889. The ACC represented the views and interests of the county councils of England and Wales. This was achieved through activities such as holding conferences and regular meetings, education and training, scientific/systematic research, exhibitions. the collection of statistics, providing an information service and library, holding negotiations on pay and conditions of employment, and meeting with government on particular issues. The membership extended to 46 county councils in England and Wales.

The ACC was incorporated into the Local Government Association (LGA) on 1 April 1997. The LGA itself was formed by the merger of the ACC, The Association of District Councils (ADC) and the Association of Metropolitan Authorities (AMA) to represent the interests of principal local authorities in England and Wales. The County Councils Network (CCN) formed in 1997 to address issues of specific importance to County Councils.

Unknown.

A Carabinieri Band is an Italian uniformed marching band. The first Carabinieri band was founded in 1820 by the Royal Carabinieri Corps. This band first toured in 1916 to raise money for wounded Allied soldiers.

Byng , family , of Wrotham Park, Barnet

Wrotham Park, Barnet, was constructed by Admiral John Byng in 1754. The Admiral was executed in 1757 for negligence after his failure to save Minorca from the French, and the house and estates were passed to his brother. The Byng family still own the house.

William Whitaker Thompson was chairman of the London County Council from 1910-1911 before undertaking the role of Mayor of Kensington 1911-1912.

He was a member of the Municipal Reform Party Regime from 1907-1919, who advocated the maintenance and improvement of local bodies in London.

They were content to administer duties assigned by Parliament to the council and were champions of private enterprise and opposed to municipal trading.

Various.

Samuel and Henrietta Barnett were important figures in the social reform movement of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Samuel was the vicar of Saint Jude's Whitechapel, founder of Toynbee Hall, Whitechapel Art Gallery and the Education Reform League. Later he became Canon of Bristol and Canon and Sub-Dean of Westminster Abbey.

Henrietta was the founder of the London Pupil Teachers' Association, and is widely reknowned as the founder of Hampstead Garden Suburb.

Various.

There is no unifying factor to these papers (e.g. that they relate to property owned by one estate or family or the legal work of one office), they came into the possession of the Kansas City Museum who passed to the archive.

The Federation of London Working Boys' Clubs was founded in 1887 by a number of boys' clubs, to provide an organisation which could formulate a unified policy and philosophy and provide backup services for the Boys' Clubs movement. Many of the clubs involved had been started by universities, public schools and public-spirited individuals to help underprivileged and exploited boys in London, particularly the East End. The clubs provided recreational activities and also acted as education and welfare institutions: the clubs were often the only recourse boys had to medical attention, clothing and food.

The federation was renamed in the early 20th century as the London Federation of Boys' Clubs, and changed its name again in 1994/1995 to the London Federation of Clubs for Young People, to reflect the changing social situation and the increasing inclusion of girls.

The activities provided by the federation for its member clubs include the use of two residential centres, Hindleap Warren in the Ashdown Forest, Surrey, and Woodrow High House in Amersham, Buckinghamshire. Clubs can hire these outdoor education centres on a weekly basis.

The federation maintains close links with other, similar charitable bodies, most notably the National Association of Boys' Clubs. Its patron is the Duke of Edinburgh, who has retained close links with the federation for more than 50 years.

The Clapham Labour Party was formed in 1918, three years after the formation of the London Labour Party. Prior to that date it had been a branch of the Independant Labour Party.

These papers were originally those of John Rose Battley F.R.S.A., J.P., member of the Clapham Labour Party and President in 1939. He was also a member of the London County Council. In 1936-37 he was nominated for the London Labour Party Executive Committee Local Trade's Councils and Labour Parties section and he was the first Labour Parliamentary Candidate for the Clapham Labour Party in 1940. Battley owned Battley Brother Printers business in Queenstown, established in 1923. This company undertook the majority of the printing work for the Clapham Labour Party during Battley's involvement with it and still exists today.

The Jews' Free School (now JFS Comprehensive) is the largest Jewish school in Britain. It was founded by Moses Hart, who paid for the restoration of the Great Synagogue where the school opened as a Talmud Torah for 15 boys in 1732. It was originally a charity school for orphaned boys with priority given to those of German parentage. By 1788 the school had moved to Houndsditch and in the late 1790s moved again to Gun Square where the number of pupils increased in 21. In the nineteenth century Dr. Joshua Van Oven found a permanent site for the school in Bell Lane.

Between 1880 and 1900, one third of all London's Jewish children passed through its doors - by 1900 it had some 4,000 pupils and was the largest school in Europe. The School provided these children with a refuge from poverty, a religious and secular education and in the spirit of the times anglicised them. Famous pupils from this time include Barney Barnato, Bud Flanagan, Alfred Marks and the novelist Israel Zangwill. The school enjoyed the patronage of the Rothschilds and had for 51 years a headmaster called Moses Angel. Angel was probably the most influential figure in Jewish education in the nineteenth century and a great advocate of "anglicising" his pupils. They were, he said "ignorant even of the elements of sound; until they had been Anglicised."

The school remained there until 1939 when it was evacuated to Ely. The Bell Lane building was destroyed during enemy action and after the Second World War the school remained closed untilk a new site was found on the Camden Road. In 1958 the school reopened as JFS Comprehensive.

Jews' Free School x JFS Comprehensive

The Jews' Free School (now JFS Comprehensive) is the largest Jewish school in Britain.

It was founded by Moses Hart, who paid for the restoration of the Great Synagogue where the school opened as a Talmud Torah for 15 boys in 1732. It was originally a charity school for orphaned boys with priority given to those of German parentage. By 1788 the school had moved to Houndsditch and in the late 1790s moved again to Gun Square where the number of pupils increased in 21. In the nineteenth century Dr. Joshua Van Oven found a permanent site for the school in Bell Lane.

Between 1880 and 1900, one third of all London's Jewish children passed through its doors - by 1900 it had some 4,000 pupils and was the largest school in Europe. The School provided these children with a refuge from poverty, a religious and secular education and in the spirit of the times anglicised them. Famous pupils from this time include Barney Barnato, Bud Flanagan, Alfred Marks and the novelist Israel Zangwill. The school enjoyed the patronage of the Rothschilds and had for 51 years a headmaster called Moses Angel. Angel was probably the most influential figure in Jewish education in the nineteenth century and a great advocate of "anglicising" his pupils. They were, he said "ignorant even of the elements of sound; until they had been Anglicised."

The school remained there until 1939 when it was evacuated to Ely. The Bell Lane building was destroyed during enemy action and after the Second World War the school remained closed untilk a new site was found on the Camden Road. In 1958 the school reopened as JFS Comprehensive.