Showing 15888 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving

E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited was established as a subsidiary of E D Sassoon and Company Limited. It was first incorporated in Hong Kong in 1928 to coordinate the trading interests of the Sassoon family, In March 1930 E D Sassoon and Company Limited's new headquarters were opened at Sassoon House, Shanghai. In order to facilitate the investment of Bombay assets into Shanghai, E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited, was registered in 1930 (however the parent company had been handling private banking functions since 1921). The head office of the new company was in Hong Kong with branches in the City of London and Manchester. The firm continued to invest in property, choosing to purchase large hotels and office blocks. Despite successful production rates, the firm decided to dispose of the mills in Bombay after the Second World War, fearing problems as foreign owners once independence was granted. In May 1949, Shanghai and Hong Kong were under control of communist regimes and seemed unhealthy places for the company's head office so it was transferred to Nassau in the Bahamas in 1950. It is thought that Nassau was chosen because there were no forms of personal or corporation tax in place and Sir Victor Sassoon planned to live there, until his death in 1961.

E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited invested in a number of companies which it operated as subsidiaries including Far Eastern Nominees Limited and Arnhold and Company Limited.

In 1967 the structure of the company was enlarged to admit new shareholders with the head office later moving to London. Major Desmond Fitzgerald, a cousin of Sir Victor Sassoon, became chairman. The company offered a full range of banking facilities including current and deposit accounts, loans and overdrafts, acceptance credits, export finance, foreign currency exchange and other financial services and advice. Also in 1967, the Nassau office became a wholly owned subsidiary of E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited under the title of E D Sassoon Banking International Limited, Nassau, Bahamas and offered services such as company management by incorporating Bahamian holding or operating companies and trust administration.

In 1972 E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited merged with Wallace Brothers and Company (Holdings) Limited and the name of the company was changed to Wallace Brothers Sassoon Bank Limited, with registered offices at 4 Crosby Square, City of London. The name was later changed to Wallace Brothers Bank Limited in November 1974, continuing to operate from Crosby Square. E D Sassoon and Company Limited continued to exist as a separate company from 1972 and later became DK Investments (Crosby Square) Limited in 1978.

E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited's registered offices were initially Sassoon House, Hong Kong and Gloucester Building, Victoria, Hong Kong (1930 - 1950). In 1950 the company was incorporated in the Bahamas and the new registered offices became Fenby House, Shirley Street, Nassau, Island of New Providence, Bahamas (1950 - 1963) and later 324 Bay Street, Nassau, Island of New Providence, Bahamas (1963 - 1969).

Most of the company's operations were controlled by the London branch offices. These were based at Stone House, 140 Bishopsgate, London (1930 - 1934), 85 Gracechurch Street, City of London (1934 - 1955), 37 Upper Brook Street, Westminster (1955 - 1969) and Winchester House, 100 Old Broad Street, City of London (1969 - 1972). There were also branches at 58 Whitworth Street, Manchester and Holland House, Hong Kong.

The collection contains a pamphlet on the company's background entitled 'A century of service to finance and trade' (CLC/B/207/CH09/01/001) along with an earlier draft by Major Derek Fitzgerald which contains more detailed historical information about the company (CLC/B/207/CH09/01/002).

Geographical range:
London, India and China, Gulf ports, Iraq and Japan.

E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited was established as a subsidiary of E D Sassoon and Company Limited. It was first incorporated in Hong Kong in 1928 to coordinate the trading interests of the Sassoon family, In March 1930 E D Sassoon and Company Limited's new headquarters were opened at Sassoon House, Shanghai. In order to facilitate the investment of Bombay assets into Shanghai, E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited, was registered in 1930 (however the parent company had been handling private banking functions since 1921). The head office of the new company was in Hong Kong with branches in the City of London and Manchester. The firm continued to invest in property, choosing to purchase large hotels and office blocks. Despite successful production rates, the firm decided to dispose of the mills in Bombay after the Second World War, fearing problems as foreign owners once independence was granted. In May 1949, Shanghai and Hong Kong were under control of communist regimes and seemed unhealthy places for the company's head office so it was transferred to Nassau in the Bahamas in 1950. It is thought that Nassau was chosen because there were no forms of personal or corporation tax in place and Sir Victor Sassoon planned to live there, until his death in 1961.

E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited invested in a number of companies which it operated as subsidiaries including Far Eastern Nominees Limited and Arnhold and Company Limited.

In 1967 the structure of the company was enlarged to admit new shareholders with the head office later moving to London. Major Desmond Fitzgerald, a cousin of Sir Victor Sassoon, became chairman. The company offered a full range of banking facilities including current and deposit accounts, loans and overdrafts, acceptance credits, export finance, foreign currency exchange and other financial services and advice. Also in 1967, the Nassau office became a wholly owned subsidiary of E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited under the title of E D Sassoon Banking International Limited, Nassau, Bahamas and offered services such as company management by incorporating Bahamian holding or operating companies and trust administration.

In 1972 E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited merged with Wallace Brothers and Company (Holdings) Limited and the name of the company was changed to Wallace Brothers Sassoon Bank Limited, with registered offices at 4 Crosby Square, City of London. The name was later changed to Wallace Brothers Bank Limited in November 1974, continuing to operate from Crosby Square. E D Sassoon and Company Limited continued to exist as a separate company from 1972 and later became DK Investments (Crosby Square) Limited in 1978.

E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited's registered offices were initially Sassoon House, Hong Kong and Gloucester Building, Victoria, Hong Kong (1930-1950). In 1950 the company was incorporated in the Bahamas and the new registered offices became Fenby House, Shirley Street, Nassau, Island of New Providence, Bahamas (1950-1963) and later 324 Bay Street, Nassau, Island of New Providence, Bahamas (1963-1969).

Most of the company's operations were controlled by the London branch offices. These were based at Stone House, 140 Bishopsgate, London (1930-1934), 85 Gracechurch Street, City of London (1934 - 1955), 37 Upper Brook Street, Westminster (1955-1969) and Winchester House, 100 Old Broad Street, City of London (1969-1972). There were also branches at 58 Whitworth Street, Manchester and Holland House, Hong Kong.

The collection contains a pamphlet on the company's background entitled 'A century of service to finance and trade' (CLC/B/207/CH09/01/001) along with an earlier draft by Major Derek Fitzgerald which contains more detailed historical information about the company (CLC/B/207/CH09/01/002).

Geographical range:
London, India and China, Gulf ports, Iraq and Japan.

E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited was established as a subsidiary of E D Sassoon and Company Limited. It was first incorporated in Hong Kong in 1928 to coordinate the trading interests of the Sassoon family, In March 1930 E D Sassoon and Company Limited's new headquarters were opened at Sassoon House, Shanghai. In order to facilitate the investment of Bombay assets into Shanghai, E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited, was registered in 1930 (however the parent company had been handling private banking functions since 1921). The head office of the new company was in Hong Kong with branches in the City of London and Manchester. The firm continued to invest in property, choosing to purchase large hotels and office blocks. Despite successful production rates, the firm decided to dispose of the mills in Bombay after the Second World War, fearing problems as foreign owners once independence was granted. In May 1949, Shanghai and Hong Kong were under control of communist regimes and seemed unhealthy places for the company's head office so it was transferred to Nassau in the Bahamas in 1950. It is thought that Nassau was chosen because there were no forms of personal or corporation tax in place and Sir Victor Sassoon planned to live there, until his death in 1961.

E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited invested in a number of companies which it operated as subsidiaries including Far Eastern Nominees Limited and Arnhold and Company Limited.

In 1967 the structure of the company was enlarged to admit new shareholders with the head office later moving to London. Major Desmond Fitzgerald, a cousin of Sir Victor Sassoon, became chairman. The company offered a full range of banking facilities including current and deposit accounts, loans and overdrafts, acceptance credits, export finance, foreign currency exchange and other financial services and advice. Also in 1967, the Nassau office became a wholly owned subsidiary of E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited under the title of E D Sassoon Banking International Limited, Nassau, Bahamas and offered services such as company management by incorporating Bahamian holding or operating companies and trust administration.

In 1972 E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited merged with Wallace Brothers and Company (Holdings) Limited and the name of the company was changed to Wallace Brothers Sassoon Bank Limited, with registered offices at 4 Crosby Square, City of London. The name was later changed to Wallace Brothers Bank Limited in November 1974, continuing to operate from Crosby Square. E D Sassoon and Company Limited continued to exist as a separate company from 1972 and later became DK Investments (Crosby Square) Limited in 1978.

E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited's registered offices were initially Sassoon House, Hong Kong and Gloucester Building, Victoria, Hong Kong (1930-1950). In 1950 the company was incorporated in the Bahamas and the new registered offices became Fenby House, Shirley Street, Nassau, Island of New Providence, Bahamas (1950-1963) and later 324 Bay Street, Nassau, Island of New Providence, Bahamas (1963-1969).

Most of the company's operations were controlled by the London branch offices. These were based at Stone House, 140 Bishopsgate, London (1930 - 1934), 85 Gracechurch Street, City of London (1934 - 1955), 37 Upper Brook Street, Westminster (1955-1969) and Winchester House, 100 Old Broad Street, City of London (1969-1972). There were also branches at 58 Whitworth Street, Manchester and Holland House, Hong Kong.

The collection contains a pamphlet on the company's background entitled 'A century of service to finance and trade' (CLC/B/207/CH09/01/001) along with an earlier draft by Major Derek Fitzgerald which contains more detailed historical information about the company (CLC/B/207/CH09/01/002).

Geographical range:
London, India and China, Gulf ports, Iraq and Japan.

The P & O Banking Corporation Limited was established in 1920 by James MacKay (later Lord Inchcape) to develop the private banking business of the P & O Company. Under MacKay's stewardship (as Managing Director from 1914 and Chairman from 1915) the P & O had expanded rapidly, acquiring the British India Company amongst many others, and the bank was to be both a commercial venture and a device to manage the financial interests of the business.

On its establishment the Corporation acquired Allahabad Bank in India and opened offices in Colombo, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore and Canton (now Guangzhou). Allahabad Bank was always operated as a subsidiary, and wasn't absorbed into the central organisation of the P & O Banking Corporation. The Corporation later expanded further in India under its own name, in Calicut (now Kozhikode in Kerala), Bombay and Madras (and the surrounding region). Lloyds and National Provincial bought shares in the new Corporation, reflecting the expectancy that a bank backed by the P & O would be a success.

In 1927 the Chartered Bank of India, China and Asia acquired seventy five percent of the Corporation's shares, effectively rendering the P & O Banking Corporation a subsidiary. In 1928 Chartered took over most of the remaining shareholding, and many of its Directors were elected to the Board of the Corporation in the subsequent years.

The P & O continued as a subsidiary company of the Chartered Bank for a further decade, though the Chartered Bank became dissatisfied with its performance. While the P & O had some merits as an institution (especially the business that came from the associated companies of the wider P & O group, and the success of Allahabad Bank in northern India), as a latecomer in international banking it often had to take on clients that existing institutions had refused. Furthermore many of the Corporation's branches existed in locations (such as Shanghai, Hong Kong and Bombay) that were served by other banks, including the Chartered Bank. With the down turn of the world economy in the 1930s the P & O was operating in a reduced market place as a direct competitor to the branches of its parent company for considerably reduced profit, an untenable position for the Corporation and its owner.

The Chartered Bank of India, China and Australia took the decision to liquidate The P & O Banking Corporation in 1938. The liquidation date was set for 31 January 1939, when the bank's branches closed and the liquid assets were transferred to the Chartered Bank (it appears that they were transferred to the nearest branch of the Chartered Bank in many cases).

The Corporation's headquarters in Leadenhall Street, London, remained open as a branch of Chartered, and appears to have handled the final breaking up of the bank's assets, and the longer term issues around the dissolution of the Corporation.

P & O Banking Corporation Nominees (the subsidiary that handled the shares owned by the Bank) continued in name until the late 1960s. Allahabad Bank continued to be run separately as a subsidiary of Chartered Bank, as the nature of its business kept it as a viable business in its own right. It was nationalised by the Indian Government in 1969, and still exists as a private body.

Geographical range:

India, Sri Lanka, China and Singapore

The P & O Banking Corporation Limited was established in 1920 by James MacKay (later Lord Inchcape) to develop the private banking business of the P & O Company. Under MacKay's stewardship (as Managing Director from 1914 and Chairman from 1915) the P & O had expanded rapidly, acquiring the British India Company amongst many others, and the bank was to be both a commercial venture and a device to manage the financial interests of the business.

On its establishment the Corporation acquired Allahabad Bank in India and opened offices in Colombo, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore and Canton (now Guangzhou). Allahabad Bank was always operated as a subsidiary, and wasn’t absorbed into the central organisation of the P & O Banking Corporation. The Corporation later expanded further in India under its own name, in Calicut (now Kozhikode in Kerala), Bombay and Madras (and the surrounding region). Lloyds and National Provincial bought shares in the new Corporation, reflecting the expectancy that a bank backed by the P & O would be a success.

In 1927 the Chartered Bank of India, China and Asia acquired seventy five percent of the Corporation's shares, effectively rendering the P & O Banking Corporation a subsidiary. In 1928 Chartered took over most of the remaining shareholding, and many of its Directors were elected to the Board of the Corporation in the subsequent years.

The P & O continued as a subsidiary company of the Chartered Bank for a further decade, though the Chartered Bank became dissatisfied with its performance. While the P & O had some merits as an institution (especially the business that came from the associated companies of the wider P & O group, and the success of Allahabad Bank in northern India), as a latecomer in international banking it often had to take on clients that existing institutions had refused. Furthermore many of the Corporation’s branches existed in locations (such as Shanghai, Hong Kong and Bombay) that were served by other banks, including the Chartered Bank. With the down turn of the world economy in the 1930s the P & O was operating in a reduced market place as a direct competitor to the branches of its parent company for considerably reduced profit, an untenable position for the Corporation and its owner.

The Chartered Bank of India, China and Australia took the decision to liquidate The P & O Banking Corporation in 1938. The liquidation date was set for 31 January 1939, when the bank's branches closed and the liquid assets were transferred to the Chartered Bank (it appears that they were transferred to the nearest branch of the Chartered Bank in many cases).

The Corporation's headquarters in Leadenhall Street, London, remained open as a branch of Chartered, and appears to have handled the final breaking up of the bank's assets, and the longer term issues around the dissolution of the Corporation.

P & O Banking Corporation Nominees (the subsidiary that handled the shares owned by the Bank) continued in name until the late 1960s. Allahabad Bank continued to be run separately as a subsidiary of Chartered Bank, as the nature of its business kept it as a viable business in its own right. It was nationalised by the Indian Government in 1969, and still exists as a private body.

Geographical range:

India, Sri Lanka, China and Singapore

In 1969 the Standard Bank Limited mergered with the Chartered Bank to create the Standard Chartered Banking Group Limited; the group consisted of the Standard Bank and the Chartered Bank along with their principal subsidiaries and associated companies.

Immediately following the merger both banks continued to operate separately with each maintaining their own board of directors and a third board being created for the Standard Chartered Banking Group Limited. It was not until 1973 that the General Management of both banks were amalgamated and 1974 when the three boards of directors were all run by the same people. On 1 October 1975 the name of the company was changed to Standard Chartered Bank Limited. In 1983 all banking operations of both Standard Bank and Chartered Bank were brought together into one company, titled, Standard Chartered Bank. In 1985 the parent company was again renamed to Standard Chartered PLC.

Following the 1969 merger the bank retained City of London headquarter premises at 10 Clements Lane (former headquarters of Standard Bank Limited) and at 38 Bishopsgate (former headquarters of Chartered Bank). In 1990 new premises were opened in Aldermanbury Square for all London staff and in 20--, the headquarters were moved to 1 Basinghall Avenue, where the bank remains situated (as at 2014).

In 1965 the Standard Bank merged with the Bank of West Africa (formally the Bank of British West Africa). The merged bank was renamed the Standard Bank of West Africa Limited. The Standard Bank expanded operations into Cameroon, Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria and Sierra Leone and in most of those regions hived off the business into independant Standard Banks. By 1974 the Standard bank of West Africa had only two branches which were situated in Gambia. In 1973 these baranches were transferred to the Standard Bank Gambia Limited.

In 1870 William Strang Steel launched W. Strang Steel and Company in Burma and the company's first rice mill was established in 1871. A London office - Steel Brothers and Company - was opened in partnership with James Alison Steel in 1873. In 1890 the assets of both companies were transferred to the newly incorporated Steel Brothers and Company Limited. The company was involved in the milling and shipping of rice; teak and hard wood extraction; oil; cotton; and cement. Historically much of Steel Brothers and Company Limited's trade was with Burma and India, but the Japanese invasion during World War II and the Burmese government's nationalisation policies of the late 1940s and 1950s led to expansion into other markets.

In 1970 Steel Brothers and Company became Steel Brothers Holdings and in 1987 became a subsidiary of British and Commonwealth Shipping plc.

The company had offices at 6 East India Avenue 1873-87; 6 Fenchurch Street 1887-1941; 61 Threadneedle Street 1941-2; 24 Lombard Street 1942-57; Chesterfield House, 26/28 Fenchurch Street 1957-69; and Sondes Place, Dorking, Surrey from 1969.

The three successive clerks of the Dyers' Company had private solicitors' practices:

Richard Fothergill Brunskill (1854-1900) was the eldest son of Stephen Brunskill of Kendal. He graduated from Trinity College, Oxford in 1874 and became a solicitor. He was was clerk of the Dyers' Company from 1881 to 1900.

George Frederick Sutton FSA (1868-1944), son of Frederick Sutton of Northwood was educated at New College, Eastbourne and Jesus College, Cambridge, from where he graduated in 1893. He had also been apprenticed to A J Applethorpe from 1883 and gained the freedom of the Dyers' Company in 1890. He qualified as a solicitor in 1894 and practised initially at 7 King Street. He married Gertrude Land in 1898. He was clerk to the Dyers' Company, 1900-08, before becoming clerk to the Leathersellers' Company. He oversaw the rebinding of many of the Leathersellers' records, and even wrote a short early history of the Company. He died at his home at Little Hendon Cottage, Chorley Wood on 13 December 1944.

Mark Marshall Merriman (1877-1944) was the eldest son of Thomas Mark Merriman, a solictor and twice Prime Warden of the Dyers' Company, and Ellen Marshall of Highbury. He was educated at Merchant Taylors' School and Trinity Hall, Cambridge. He gained the freedom of the Dyers' Company by patrimony in 1898. He qualified as a solicitor in 1903 and worked initially for his father's practice. He became clerk of the Dyers' Company in 1908, later resigning the post to join the Court of Assistants in 1937, becoming Prime Warden in 1939. He died at his home in Tunbridge Wells on 21 October 1944.

Under its original style of W J and R Tindall, shipbuilders, shipowners and merchants of Scarborough and London, the company, later (1875) to become W.H. Tindall and Company, acquired its main block of coffee and tea estates at Imboolpittia and Bowagamme, Ceylon, through its London representative William Tindall, of 34 Cornhill and Millwall Wharf, Poplar, in 1843. Tindall purchased a half-share in the property in trust for his son, W.H. Tindall, from George Bird who had obtained a crown grant of the land in 1841 and was to become its first manager under the Tindalls.

Neighbouring estates at Holnicot, Hunasgeria, Bramley, Bathford and Denmark Hill were acquired at a later date. Other crops cultivated in addition to tea and coffee were chinchona, cinnamon, aloes, cocoa and cardamons, while india rubber, timber and tree mallow were also produced. From an early date doubts were expressed as to Bird's integrity (see correspondence and queried accounts), and on the death of William Tindall, 1853, he was sued for moneys owing on the balance of the account.

In 1846-7 the company moved to 4 Clement's Lane from 34 Cornhill and Millwall Wharf, Poplar. Re-constituted as Robt., WH and RH Tindall in 1858, and again as WH Tindall in 1861, it had moved yet again by 1865 to 5 Tokenhouse Yard. As WH Tindall and Company (1875) the company's office was transferred in 1876-1877 to 77 Gracechurch Street, where it remained until 1898, in that year changing to 20 Eastcheap.

In 1933 the company was once again re-constituted as Pryor and Tindall Limited "colonial merchants", at the same time absorbing the business of Cotesworth and Powell Limited "import export and general merchants", a firm which had been closely associated with the Tindalls for some time with, among other interests, extensive sugar plantations in Natal. First appearing at St. Helen's Place in 1831 and moving to 148 Leadenhall Street by 1867, from c. 1866 Cotesworth and Powell Limited acted as managing directors of the Umhlanga Valley (Natal) Sugar and Coffee Company Limited (see London Directories), to which the single surviving account book seems to relate, as well as being agents for inter alia the Salvador Coffee Estates Company Limited, the Nicaragua Company Limited, the Central Provinces Ceylon Tea Company Limited and the Hewagam Rubber Company Limited.

Pryor and Tindall relinquished control of the Ceylon estates on their sale to the Central Provinces Ceylon Tea Company Limited in 1938. For further details on the early history of the firm see typescript historical notes catalogued as Ms 15654.

This firm of insurance brokers has its origins in three firms founded in the nineteenth century: Henry Willis and Company, Dumas and Wylie and Faber Brothers. Willis, Faber and Company Limited was formed by merger in 1898 with premises at 32 Cornhill and, from 1924, at 54 Leadenhall Street. Willis, Faber and Dumas Limited was formed by merger in 1928 and traded from 54 Leadenhall Street. The firm and its predecessors initially concentrated on marine insurance. This is reflected in the records.

The business was founded by William Newton (born c 1741). He later worked in partnership with his two sons, Benjamin and John. B and J Newton were based at 27 (later 17) Birchin Lane in the early 19th century. At the time of cataloguing (2007) the firm was based at 68 Lombard Street.

Henry Ballow was born in 1643, the son of Henry Ballow of St Helen Bishopsgate. He gained his freedom of the Dyers' Company on 3 November 1676. He died in 1715, when he was described as gent of St Margaret Westminster.

Eliazer (or Eleazer) Hasell (1656-1731), the son of James Hasell a saymaker of Sudbury, Suffolk, was apprenticed to Samuel Totton, mercer, on 22 Sept 1671 and gained his freedom of the Mercers' Company on 10 November 1682.

Brash Brothers first appear in a commercial directory in 1892, as a partnership, at 9 and 11 Fenchurch Avenue and 13 St Mary Axe. By 1918, they were at 38 Mincing Lane. From 1923 they were at 23 Rood Lane, and 1935-69 at 13 Rood Lane. They also had various warehouses in the London suburbs at various dates. Brash Brothers appear to have become a limited company, Brash Brothers (Tea) Limited, circa 1940. In 1996 the firm was taken over and no corporate records are known to survive.

This is probably the William Brooke (1662-1737) of St John Square, Clerkenwell, who became a director of the South Sea Company in 1721. His brother (possibly Richard Brooke, who was the master of the ship "Reswick" which William Brooke used often) moved to Bermuda. At his death his fortune was estimated at £80,000. He left one daughter who married William Forester of Dothill, Shropshire. The majority of his estate was bequeathed to his grandson, Brooke Forester.

Emma Silver Mining Co

The company had premises in Queen Victoria Street (1874-81), last appearing in London directories in 1881. The meeting to which these papers relate was concerned with the winding-up of the company.

In 1871 the Emma Silver Mine in Utah, USA, was involved in a scandal when two business promoters encouraged investment in the mine despite knowing it to be depleted. They targeted British investors, selling the mine for 5 million dollars. The fraud was exposed in 1876 and the investors began legal proceedings against the promoters. For a report of the winding-up of the company see The Times newspaper for November 20, 1880, page 6.

Felix Calvert (1735-1802) was the fourth son of Felix Calvert (1693-1755) of Furneux Pelham by his wife Christian, nee Nicolson (d 1759). His uncle, Sir William Calvert (d 1761) was Lord Mayor in 1749 and established a successful brewery business in Campion Lane, Thames Street.

On his death in 1761, Felix took over the business. By 1773 it had become known as Felix Calvert and Company. He married Elizabeth Ladbroke, daughter of Sir Robert Ladbroke, in 1763. His elder brother Nicolson (1724-93) inherited the family property at Hunsdon House, but died childless. Felix lived at Portland Place. He shot himself in Don Saltero's coffee house in Cheyne Walk, Chelsea on the evening of 23 March 1802. He was succeeded by his eldest son, Nicolson Calvert (1764-1841).

The City of London Brewery traded as Felix Calvert and Company at Campion Lane until 1860.

The partnership of Fenning and Shepard, insurance brokers and underwriters, first appears in London directories in 1826 at 3 Royal Exchange. The first partners were George Fenning and Robert Howard Shepard. In 1827 the firm moved to 5 Royal Exchange, to 4 Austin Friars in 1838, to Cornhill in 1846 and to Laurence Pountney Hill in 1919. From about 1842 Fenning and Shepard were also operating as underwriters at Lloyd's. They last appear in London directories in 1928.

Nicolas Geffe owned Barking Abbey and certain lands in Essex from 1586. The book appears to have been compiled prior to 1593, probably for legal or business purposes.

This company was established in 1901 at Threadneedle House, 28-31, subsequently 34 Bishopsgate and it carried on investment business only. In 1921 it moved to Winchester House, Old Broad Street and by 1931 it was at 80 Bishopsgate where the company remained until 1938 which was the date of its last entry in trade directories.

Business partners Nathaniel Lewis and Alexander Baily were merchants and shippers, based in Charleston, South Carolina, USA.

John Pope was a merchant, possibly of Bristol from internal evidence.

Llantysilio Slate Co

The company was constituted in 1852. The business of the company was to mine and market slate or any other minerals from Llantysilio, Denbigh, Wales.

One of the directors was Charles Bischoff, solicitor, of 19 Coleman Street.

John March (fl 1768-1774) was a Turkey merchant, with premises at 60 Mark Lane. He died sometime between 2 September and 2 December 1774. After that date the firm was taken over by his nephew Thomas March.

In the London directory of 1777 the address is given as 58 Leman Street, Goodman's Fields. This is the last reference to the firm traceable in London directories.

Alexander McKenzie was born circa 1830 in Auldearn, Nairnshire, Scotland. He had 5 sons and a daughter, Helen, who looked after him on the death of his wife. He worked as a landscape gardener and land surveyor, moving to London in 1851 and working at the Royal Botanical Gardens and on land beloning to the King of Belgium.

In 1863 he was appointed superindendent of Alexandra Palace and Park, and then became the superindendent of open spaces owned by the Metropolitan Board of Works, giving him responsiblity for Finsbury Park, Southwark Park, Victoria Embankment, Albert Embankment, Hampstead Heath, Blackheath, Shepherd's Bush, Stepney Green, Hackney Commons and London Fields. He also took on private landscape design work in England, Ireland and Scotland, including work for the directors of the Metropolitan and City police orphanage, the board of management of the Middlesex County Asylum, Birmingham Town Council and the Lord Provost, magistrates and council of the City of Edinburgh.

From 1879 Alexander McKenzie was employed as Superintendent of Epping Forest. He remained in post until his death in April 1893 when he was succeeded as Superintendent by his son, Frank Fuller McKenzie.

In his time as Superintendent of Epping Forest, McKenzie worked hard to counteract the problems caused by the illegal enclosure of much of the forest prior to the Epping Forest Act of 1878. He instigated a policy of thinning out the densest parts of the forest which was widely criticised by newspapers of the time but which was generally supported by the Epping Forest Committee as being in the best interests of the health of the trees and undergrowth. McKenzie was exonerated after his death when, in 1894, a panel of external experts called in to give their opinion on the thinning of Epping Forest concluded that, in general, the forest had been managed "judiciously and well".

McKenzie was a member of the Honorable Artillery Company, rising to the rank of Major. He was a crack shot and practiced at the range in Bisley, Surrey. He also contributed to gardening magazines, and was the author of The Parks, Open Spaces and Thoroughfares of London, published 1869.

Unknown.

This item probably belonged to James Myers of Yardley Hastings.

William Sharpe was a heraldic painter based at 3 Bennett's Hill, Doctors Commons. He became free of the Painter Stainers' Company in 1768 and died circa 1800. The business was taken over by his son Thomas Sharpe, who was made free of the Painter Stainers in 1803, having served his apprenticeship to his father, and died circa 1813.

On his death the firm was taken over by George Bishop (1787-1841), described as heraldic and house painter. He became free of the Painter Stainers in 1818. Throughout this period they did work for members of the royal family (at his death George Bishop was described as herald painter to Her Majesty), for the College of Arms, for livery companies, as well as for private individuals and undertakers.

The Theatre Royal in Drury Lane, designed by Christopher Wren, opened on 26 March 1674. In 1747 the theatre and a patent renewal were purchased by renowned actor David Garrick and partner James Lacy. Garrick served as manager and lead actor of the theatre until roughly 1766, and continued on in the management role for another ten years after.

Garrick commissioned Robert Adam and his brother James to renovate the theatre's interior, which they did in 1775. Their additions included an ornate ceiling and a stucco facade facing Bridges Street. Garrick left the stage in 1776 and sold his shares in the theatre to the Irish playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan.

Sheridan owned the theatre until 1809 and used it to premiere some of his own work, including School for Scandal. The day-to-day management of the theatre was usually carried out by Sheridan's father Thomas, and the actor John Philip Kemble.

Source: http://www.theatre-royal.com

This firm of upholsterers, formerly Handyside and Mayo, had premises successively at 10 King Street, Bloomsbury, and 55 Lamb's Conduit Street.

Thomas Vyse and Sons, Leghorn [Livorno, Italy] merchants and straw hat manufacturers were based at 30 Ludgate Hill, and subsequently 3 Cripplegate Buildings and 76 Wood Street.

This firm of wholesale stationers and papermakers first appears in the London trade directories in 1817. It was known as W. Venables and Company (1817-25), Venables and Wilson (1826-[1835]), Venables, Wilson and Tyler ([1835]-58), Venables, Tyler and Son (1859-1900), and Venables, Tyler and Company Limited (1901-81). After 1981, the firm is no longer mentioned in the directories.

It was based at 17 Queenhithe (1817-1976) and 46/48 Webber Street (1977-81). Partners in the business included two Lord Mayors of London, William Venables (d.1840) and Sir George Robert Tyler (1835-97).

WW Pownall and Company took over as proprietors of The Australian Wine Company in 1887-8, at which time the company was at 4 Mill Street, Hanover Square. It moved to 57 St Mary Axe in 1897.

The Society of Apothecaries was incorporated by royal charter in 1617; previously apothecaries had belonged to the Grocers' Company in the City of London. The Society's members included apothecaries, chemists and druggists, as well as those unconnected with the trade. Following the Apothecaries' Act of 1815 many medical practitioners, particularly those from outside London, were licenced by the Society after a course of training.

The Society established the Chelsea Physic Garden (see Mss 8228-9, 8234-7, 8268, 8270, 8287). The Society's records also contain those of the Friendly Medical Society, established c 1725 "to establish and preserve a good understanding and friendship" amongst the members of the Society of Apothecaries, (see Mss 8278-80A). The Society's hall in Blackfriars Lane was destroyed in the Great Fire, but re-built shortly thereafter.

The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators was established in 1929 and became a livery company on 11 July 1956. Its members are pilots and navigators, both civil and military, of all types of aircraft. The Guild promotes professional standards, technical advances, flight safety, training and education, recognises meritorious service, and supports aviators and their dependants.

Worshipful Company of Bakers

A fraternity of bakers has existed since the 12th century (first mentioned in 1155) and was first granted a charter in 1486. Its members included the bakers of bread, cakes and confectionery. For a brief period in the 17th century, the makers of brown bread, known as brown bakers, attained a separate corporate identity. They were again recognised as part of the Company under the terms of the charter of 1685. Until 1805 the Company had powers to punish bakers who did not meeting trading standards.

The Company had a Hall for a few years in Dowgate, before moving to a site in Harp Lane. The Hall in Harp Lane was destroyed in 1666 and again in 1940; on the last occasion it was rebuilt and reopened in 1963. The Bakers' Company almshouses were funded by contributions from the Court and livery. A site was purchased on the Hackney Road in 1828. The almshouses were demolished in 1931.

The earliest reference to the company is in 1371 when an agreement with the Fletchers established the two crafts (of bow making and arrow making) as independent. In 1488 they received a grant of arms. The Bowyers were granted a charter on 25 May 1621. Although the trade of bow making has disappeared, the Company continues to support archery. The company had a hall in Noble Street until the 1630s.

The Company was incorporated by royal charter in 1437/8, although it appears to have existed in some form from the 13th century. The Company received a grant of arms in 1469. The Company certainly had a hall in Addle Street in the City of London (leased from the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's Cathedral) from at least 1403. This building was destroyed in the Great Fire, and the Company's Second Hall built in 1673 was destroyed in World War Two. The present hall in Aldermanbury Square was completed in 1960.

Records of Dame Alice Owen's Charity: In 1609 Dame Alice Owen conveyed almshouses, situated by St John Street (which she had founded for ten poor widows of Islington) to the Brewers' Company. Four years later she founded a school for 30 boys in Islington next to the almshouses. Again, she entrusted the administration of the school to the Brewers' Company, which still retains close links. The almshouses were taken down in 1879-80 to make way for a new playground for the expanding school. A girls' school was added in 1886, and the two combined on its present site in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire in 1973.

Records of John Baker's almshouses: The charity established by the will of John Baker (d. 1818) provided for the establishment of six almshouses, which were built on Mile End Road.

Records of Richard Platt's charity: In 1596 Richard Platt, proprietor of the Old Swan brewery in the parish of St James Garlickhithe and twice Master of the Brewers' Company, obtained letters patent of Elizabeth I to found six almshouses and a grammar school in Aldenham, Hertfordshire. In 1599, the year before Platt's death, they were conveyed to the Brewers' Company. The school was for two centuries just a local village school with very few pupils, based in the master's house. It grew considerably in the 19th century. The Brewers' Company still plays an active role in the running of the school. For further information see R J Evans, The History and Register of Aldenham School, Aylesbury 1969.

Worshipful Company of Cooks

The organisation probably dates from 1311/12. Thereafter until 1438 there are references to the masters of the misteries of Cooks, Pastelers and Piebakers, later amalgamated into the Cooks of East Cheap and Bread Street. The first grant of arms was in 1461 and the first charter in 1482.

A Fraternity of Curriers was known to be attached to the Priory of the Carmelites by 1389, and ordinances were entered into the City of London Corporation's Letter Book I (held amongst the City's own records) in 1415. In 1583 the Company received a Grant of Arms, and new ordinances were ratified in 1687. However their first charter was not granted until 1605; a further charter was granted by James II in 1686. Curriers dressed and treated tanned leather.The Company now supports technical colleges.

The Worshipful Company of Engineers was formed in 1983 and incorporated by Royal Charter in 2004. Its members are all Chartered Engineers or Fellows of the Royal Academy of Engineering. The Company works to promote and develop all aspects of the science, art and practice of engineering.

The Company has been in existence from at least 1365, receiving charters in 1614 and 1686. The Company also received a grant of arms in 1590. In 1531 the Company purchased a hall in Lothbury, which was destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt by 1672. In 1845 the Company opened a new hall in Founders' Court and the old hall was let. In 1853 the new hall was in turn let, the Company purchasing a new property in St Swithin's Lane in 1854. The Company sold the freehold of the Lothbury site in 1864. Founders cast brass and bronze items including candlesticks and water pots.

The Fraternity, or brotherhood, of St Clement has been described by Parsloe as 'the [Founders'] Company in its social and religious aspects'. It is first mentioned by name in accounts for the years 1513-16 as being founded and kept in the parish church of St Margaret Lothbury. There is evidence, however, for its having been in existence from at least 1497. All members of the craft or mystery of Founders were obliged to obey the rules and ordinances of the brotherhood and to contribute one penny per quarter. This money was used to relieve poor, sick or elderly members, and to meet funeral costs. Ordinances granted to the Company in 1516 suggest that the brotherhood of St Clement had its own masters, but scarcity of evidence makes it difficult to clarify the relationship between Company and brotherhood. The brotherhood of St Clement is thought to have disappeared as a result of the suppression of the chantries during the reign of Edward VI.

The original fellowship existed before 1300 and the Guild obtained ordinances in 1463. The Company was granted its charter of incorporation in 1606. The Company role was to inspect fruit being sold in the City and assess duties to be paid on imported fruit.