The Waldorf Theatre opened in May 1905, and was built by W.G.R. Sprague. It is now called The Strand Theatre.
Mrs Graham lived in Harrow and then Maidenhead.
The Albion Iron and Wire Works Company was founded on 21 January 1885 in Ironmonger Row, Clerkenwell, and later moved to Britton Street. In 1970 the firm took over Myerson Kilby Limited, sheet metal workers (est.1820) and J.W. Shale Limited, constructional engineers (est.1880s). Subsidiary companies in 1982 included Sebry Staircase and Ironworks Limited, fire escape staircase manufacturers (incorporated 1930), Lift Cars and Components Company Limited (incorporated 1957) and Albion (Norfolk) Limited (incorporated 1970). Items manufactured included wire work, staircase lifts, machine guards, and metal sheeting and ducting. In 1985 the London company went into liquidation, although work continued at Albion (Norfolk) Limited.
The tax was raised as part of an assessment levied on the County of Middlesex by order of the Lord General Cromwell 'towards the maintenance of the Armies and Navies of this Commonwealth', 9 Nov 1653.
Francis Sanders was probably the General-Receiver for Middlesex appointed by the assessment commissioners.
Originally Middlesex prisoners were kept in either of the City of London's gaols - Newgate or the Bridewell (near Blackfriars). In 1615-1616 a Middlesex Bridewell (also known as the Clerkenwell House of Correction) was built on a site between the present Corporation Row and Sans Walk (demolished in 1804). On the same site, adjacent and to the south of it, a House of Detention (for prisoners awaiting trial) was built in the late seventeenth century to ease the overcrowding in Newgate. This 'New Prison' was rebuilt in 1818, incorporating the site of the old Bridewell; and again in 1845; before being closed in 1877 and demolished in 1890, the Hugh Myddleton School being built on the site. A new Middlesex House of Correction had been built in 1794 in Coldbath Fields (on the present site of Mount Pleasant Post Office), and which was also closed in 1877, and demolished in 1889. Although debtors were one of the largest categories of prisoner, a separate gaol for them was not built in London until the beginning of the nineteenth century (in Whitecross Street); prior to this they were kept in Newgate.
The Court of King's Bench (or Queen's Bench, depending on the monarch) was founded circa 1200 to hear common pleas, although it came to specialise in pleas of special interest and concern to the king, such as those which involved his own property interests, or breach of his peace, or an error of judgment by another royal court. By 1675 the King's Bench was the highest court of common law in England and Wales, with jurisdiction over both civil and criminal actions. Civil business was conducted on the 'Plea Side' and criminal business on the 'Crown Side'. It was absorbed into the High Court in 1875 (source of information: The National Archives Research Guides "Legal Records Information 34" and "Legal Records Information 36").
The Kodak Company - a subsidiary of the US-based Eastman Kodak Company - opened its first UK offices in Soho Square, London in 1885. It subsequently moved to Harrow.
The property in Edmonton was situated adjacent to Green Lanes, bounded by the New River and Barrowell Green. Abstract of title is a summary of prior ownership of a property, drawn up by solicitors. Such an abstract may go back several hundred years or just a few months, and was usually drawn up just prior to a sale.
"Medway Mineral Waters Limited" was registered in 1949 as a trading name only for brewers Style and Winch Limited (for Style and Winch Ltd see ACC/2305/07).
The Medway Brewery, St Peter's Street, Maidstone, Kent was built by William Baldwin in 1806. The company was known as "Baldwin and Holmes" in the 1850s, as "Holmes and Style" during the 1860s and as "A F Style and Company" from 1880. It was amalgamated with E Winch and Sons Limited, of the Chatham Brewery, Chatham, Kent, and incorporated as "Style and Winch Limited" on the 17th March 1899.
Acquired:
- Henry Simmons, Style Place Brewery, Hadlow, Kent, 1905;
- H and O Vallance, The Brewery, Sittingbourne, Kent, 1905;
- Tooting Brewery, 1907;
- Ashford Breweries Limited, Lion Brewery, Ashford, Kent, 1912;
- Woodhams and Co Limited, Rochester Steam Brewery, Rochester, Kent, 1918;
-
E Finn and Co Limited, Pale Ale Brewery, Lydd, Kent, 1921.
The Company took a controlling interest in Royal Brewery Brentford Limited in 1922; and jointly with Royal Brewery acquired Dartford Brewery Company Limited in 1924.
Style and Winch Limited was acquired by Barclay Perkins and Company Limited in 1929. It was operated by Courage (Eastern) Limited from 1964; and liquidated by Courage, Barclay and Simonds in 1970.
The Kingston Brewery, on Brook Street, Kingston-upon-Thames, was established about 1610. It was owned by Charles Rowlls in 1854 when it was acquired by the Hodgson brothers, wine merchants, of St Mary Axe. The company was incorporated in 1886.
They acquired Fricker's Eagle Brewery, Kingston-upon-Thames, in 1903, and F.A. Crooke and Company Limited, Guildford Brewery, Guildford, in 1929. The company was itself acquired by Courage and Company Ltd in 1943; and went into voluntary liquidation in 1965.
The Steam Brewery on Hythe Street, Dartford, Kent, was leased from William Miskin from 1868 and later bought from him, as the Oak Brewery. The company was incorporated as C N Kidd and Son Limited in February 1920. It was acquired by Courage and Company Limited in September 1937; and went into liquidation in October 1951.
Nevile Reid acquired the Windsor Brewery, Thames Street, Windsor, from Baverstock and Ramsbottom in about 1810. Some time before 1900 they also took over John Jennings and Company. The company was incorporated in 1915. It was acquired by Noakes and Co Ltd, in 1918. Brewing ceased in 1930.
Anchor Taverns Limited was set up by Barclay Perkins in the 1920s as a catering arm, in part to improve management of less salubrious public houses. It was incorporated in 1938 as a subsidiary of Courage, Barclay and Simonds Ltd, and integrated with H and G Simonds' Hotel and Catering Department to form Anchor Hotels and Taverns Ltd, 1961.
The Park Brewery, Lakedale Road, Plumstead, was established in 1845 and run by L Davis. By 1878 it was known as North Kent Brewery and run by Mitchell and Beasley. In 1887 the brewery was taken over by Charles Beasley; and incorporated in 1943 as Charles Beasley Limited. It was acquired by Courage, Barclay and Simonds in 1963. The brewery closed in 1965; and the company was in voluntary liquidation by 1970.
Lawn and Alder Limited, wine merchants (of 19 Clifford Street, New Bond Street, London, SW1) was incorporated in 1954. It was a subsidiary of Saccone and Speed 1954-1963; and was taken over by Courage Barclay and Simonds, probably in 1963. The company was in voluntary liquidation in April 1979, Courage Limited was the liquidator.
Bournemouth Wine Company Limited was incorporated as Stratford Catering Company Limited in 1924 (possibly by Nicholson and Sons Limited), and was based at 7 Southwark Bridge Road. The name was changed to Bournemouth Wine Company Limited in August 1965 after purchase by Courage, Barclay and Simonds. The company was in voluntary liquidation in 1970.
Mumford Hotels Limited were based in Faversham, Kent.
George Raggett and Sons Limited, of the Hop Exchange, Southwark, were incorporated in 1907. The company took over Packham and Company Limited, Glasgow, in 1921 (in voluntary liquidation 1954; assets to Barclay Perlins 1955). They were bought by Barclay Perkins in 1953 and in voluntary liquidation in 1964.
The York Mineral Water Company Limited, of York Road, Brentford, London, was incorporated in February 1898. It was taken over by Barclay Perkins in October 1954. Operations were taken over by Camwal Limited in May 1955. The company was in voluntary liquidation in 1964.
The Brewery on Church Street, Staines was founded in 1796 by Thomas Ashby. The business was incorporated in 1887 as "Charles Ashby and Company Limited" and then in 1899 as "Ashby's Staines Brewery Limited". The company took over Thomas Fladgate Harris' Knowle Green Brewery, Kingston Road, Staines, 1903; Headington and Son, Wellington Brewery, Denmark Street, Wokingham, 1920; and Wheeler's Wycombe Breweries in 1929. They were acquired by H and G Simonds in 1931 and in voluntary liquidation in 1936.
The Brewery, Easton Street, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, was established in the late eighteenth century by Biddle and King, later Biddle and Wheeler, then Wheeler and Company. Wheeler and Company, together with Leadbetter and Bird, Frogmoor Brewery, High Wycombe, were incorporated in 1898 as Wheeler's Wycombe Breweries Limited. Taken over by Ashby's Staines Brewery in 1929 and acquired with that company by H and G Simonds in 1931. In voluntary liquidation 1950.
The brewery in Fleet Street, Torquay, was run by Matcham and Hussey until incorporated in 1865 as Torquay Brewing and Trading Company Limited. It was acquired by Plymouth Breweries (see ACC/2305/72) in 1897, and in liquidation the same year.
The company was established in 1866 as Ashton Gate Brewery Company Limited. In 1868 the name was changed to Hardwick and Company Limited; but in 1883 the name was changed back to Ashton Gate Brewery Company Limited. Amalgamated in 1931 with Bristol Brewery Georges after severe loss in trade, especially in South Wales, and heavier taxation. In voluntary liquidation 1932.
The documents in this collection relate to public houses owned by Courage Limited and various subsidiary or merged companies.
John Charles McGuire (1890-1986) spent most of his lifetime in a career as a schoolmaster in London. He was educated at East London Technical College and trained as a teacher at Islington Day Training College (1908-1912). Most of his teaching career was spent at Barnsbury Central School where he later became Head Teacher. In 1950 he was President of the London Head Teachers' Association. He retired in 1954 after 45 years of employment by the LCC Education Officer's Department.
For a history of the Barnsbury Central School see 'Islington: Education', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 117-135 (available online).
The Metropolitan Railway Company was responsible for the construction of the world's first underground passenger railway. Work began on the line in 1860, running from Paddington to King's Cross and then on to Farringdon Street. The first trial journey was held in 1862, with the line opened to the public in January 1863. The railway proved popular and extensions were constructed, the first being to Hammersmith by 1864 and Moorgate by 1865.
From 1867 the railway passenger service on the Hammersmith and City Line was administered by the Hammersmith and City Railway Joint Committee, which included members representing both the Great Western and the Metropolitan Railway Companies. This small collection reflects the arrangements made in order to run a railway passenger service on the Hammersmith and City Line.
The London and Greenwich Railway was the earliest railway in metropolitan London. It was first opened on 8 February 1836 running from Spa Road to Deptford. An extension from Spa Road to London Bridge was opened on December 14, 1836. The line to Greenwich was finally opened on 12 April 1840.
Exeter Hall is described in an article by Percy Howard, dated 1907, when the Hall was demolished: "The ground on which Exeter Hall stands was formerly occupied by a menagerie, but, owing to the roaring of the lions frightening the horses in the Strand, it was cleared away in 1829. The need of a hall for religious work, which should also provide a home for the various organisations, had long been felt, and the site was at once acquired by a number of influential men for that purpose. On March 29th, 1831, in the presence of an immense audience, the first Exeter Hall was opened, Sir Thomas Baring being in the chair. It was considerably smaller than the present building, but cost, for those days, the large sum of £30,000. In 1850, various improvements 'were made, and the hall was lengthened.
Although essentially a centre of religious activity, Exeter Hall holds a unique place in the musical history of the last century. For many years it had been the custom to perform oratorios twice a week during Lent in the theatres of the metropolis, but these were given up when the new hall was opened, and it at once became the temple of music in London. Thither flocked great crowds to hear the fine band and chorus of 700 voices, conducted by Sir Michael Costa, while the appearance of Mendelssohn or Spohr to conduct their own compositions, drew the fashionable world to the Strand. The performance of oratorios ceased in the season of 1879-80, when they were transferred to the Albert Hall. Mr. Hullah's famous "Musical Evenings " were also held in Exeter Hall, and the rehearsals for the Handel festival have continued to take place there.
The first temperance meeting was held on June 29th, 1831, and was one of the greatest on record. It was followed by a long series of others, and in 1853 the committee of the London Temperance League invited the famous orator, John B. Gough, to come over from the United States. ... It was in Exeter Hall, in June, 1840, that the Prince Consort made his first public appearance in England, when he presided at a meeting for the abolition of the slave trade. His speech was most successful, and he wrote to his father that it was received with great applause, and seemed to have produced a good effect in the country. A few days later another famous meeting of the Anti-Slavery Convention was held, the venerable Thomas Clarkson. then in his 81st year, presiding. ...
From 1845 to 1865 the Y.M.C.A lectures were delivered in the Hall, but in 1880 it became the property of the Association, five friends putting down £5,000 apiece for the purchase. The building was then re- modelled and enlarged, the total outlay being close on £60,000. On March 29th, 1881, the jubilee of the structure, it was re-opened by Lord Shaftesbury. Since then many famous meetings have been held within its walls. Stanley's first lecture on his return from the Congo expedition was given here, and in March, 1895, members of the Royal family were present to hear F. C. Selous lecture on "Travel and Adventure in South East Africa." ... Many a great name is recalled by the old platform chair, which is still preserved. Brougham, Guizot, Moffat, Livingstone, Shaftesbury, Clarkson, Wilberforce - have all "taken the chair " at Exeter Hall, while Mr. Gladstone and Lord Salisbury appear in the list of famous speakers. "
John Elliott Burns was born in Lambeth, London in 1858, into a poor family. He was apprenticed to an engineer but attended night schools and read radical literature, becoming involved in the Social Democratic Federation. In 1889 he won a seat on the London County Council, for Battersea. He soon became a dominant figure in the Council, due to his hard work and powerful personality. In 1892 he was elected MP for Battersea, standing as an independent candidate. In 1905 he was offered the presidency of the Local Government Board, the first working man to achieve rank in the cabinet. Burns resigned from the Government in 1914 in protest at the First World War and retired from public life. He died in 1943.
John Thornton was born in Clapham on 1 April 1720, the son of Robert Thornton, a successful merchant in Russia. John inherited his father's fortune and invested it in trade. He was a generous supporter of the first generation of 'Evangelical' Anglicans and was one of the so-called 'Clapham Sect', a group of pious evangelical reformers living in Clapham whose lives were ruled by the teaching of the Bible. In addition to their religious activities, the Clapham Sect were equally active in the cause of social reform and the abolition of slavery. The group included William Wilberforce and Thornton's diaries mention his friendship with the Wilberforce family. The journals reflect the great importance of the Bible in John Thornton's daily life and his intense religious conviction. He died on 7 November 1790.
An assignment of term, or assignment to attend the inheritance, was an assignment of the remaining term of years in a mortgage to a trustee after the mortgage itself has been redeemed. An assignment of a lease is the transfer of the rights laid out in the lease to another party, usually for a consideration (a sum of money).
Abstract of title is a summary of prior ownership of a property, drawn up by solicitors. Such an abstract may go back several hundred years or just a few months, and was usually drawn up just prior to a sale.
A marriage settlement was a legal agreement drawn up before a marriage by the two parties, setting out terms with respect to rights of property and succession.
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
The Royal Choral Society began its life as the Royal Albert Hall Choral Society, and was formed towards the end of 1871 with money provided for the purpose by Her Majesty's Commissioners for the 1851 exhibition. Charles Gounod conducted the society's first concerts, which began in May 1872, but was soon succeeded by Sir Joseph Barnby, who remained in office until 1896.
In 1888 Queen Victoria became patron of the society, allowing it to change its name to the Royal Choral Society. Successive conductors have included Sir Frederick Bridge, who directed the society for 25 years; Sir Malcolm Sargent, who remained in office until his death in 1967; Wyn Morris, who left amidst some controversy in 1970 and Meredith Davies, 1971-1985, followed by Laszlo Heltay and Richard Cooke. During the 1920's and 1930's the Royal Choral Society became famous for its performances of Coleridge-Taylor's 'Hiawatha', which was performed in the Royal Albert Hall with full costumes and often up to 1000 performers. The society is also well known for its Good Friday performances of Handel's Messiah and its extremely popular carol concerts. Highlights of the society's career include the British premier of Verdi's Requiem, which was conducted by the composer. It was the first choral society to make a gramophone recording and, under the baton of Sir Malcolm Sargent, became one of the first choirs to present choral works at the annual promenade concerts.
The Royal Choral Society is closely associated with the Malcolm Sargent Cancer Fund for Children, which was launched in 1968 as a memorial to its most famous conductor. Charity concerts in aid of the fund began in the autumn of 1968 with a performance of Verdi's Requiem, conducted by Sir George Solti. A special Music Fund was formed during the choir's 1972/1973 season, to commission or help finance new choral works for the society, and to make financial contributions to the performances of other contemporary choral works.
For further information see http://www.royalchoralsociety.co.uk/.
Brooks's Club, 60 Saint James' Street, Westminster, London had its origins in the establishment of Almack's Club in 1764. The foundation of this Club was due to the blackballing for membership at Whites Club of Mr Boothby and Mr James. They left and set up their own facility at 49 Pall Mall, London in a building leased by William Almack and called it Almacks. (No. 50 Pall Mall was also a club, run by Edward Boodle who would go on to establish Boodles Club in Saint James'). This "tavern" was originally frequented by 27 young men called "Macaronis" with the purpose of wining, dining and gambling. As such this Club, like many other clubs in the early nineteenth century, emerged from the tradition of coffee and chocolate houses. (Almack himself then went on to open some assembly rooms in King Street, Saint James').
In 1773/4 William Brooks, wine merchant and money lender, became the Master (manager) of Almacks establishment. In 1776 he commissioned the prolific architect Henry Holland to build a new Palladian style club house which was completed in 1778. (Attempted plans and a perspective of the finished club done by Holland for Brooks are held at the Sir John Soanes Museum, London). At the same time the Club changed its name to take on that of its Master and became known as Brooks's. The interior of this building remained fairly unchanged until 1889 when No. 2 Park Place, Westminster which had been purchased a few years before, was converted and adapted as part of Brooks's.
Brooks's had restricted membership which was by election only and on payment of a yearly fee. In its new location it grew in strength and by 1791 there were 450 members. It counted some of the most prolific social and political figures of the day amongst its membership, including the Duke of Devonshire, Lord Palmerston, Lord Beesborough, William Wilberforce, David Garrick, Horace Walpole, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Richard Sheridan, Beau Brummel and the Prince Regent. The most celebrated member of Brooks's was Charles James Fox. He was elected at the age of 16 while still an undergraduate at Oxford and it is thought that due to his influence and discussions with the Prince Regent Brooks's became a Club with strong Whig sympathies and could be said to have become the unofficial Whig headquarters. ("Whig" was a name applied to adherents of the major English political party of the same name from 1689. It was was later superseded by the term "liberal"). Ironically it was Fox who elected a member of the opposition party for Club membership, the Tory MP William Pitt, later Prime Minister! In contrast to the Whigishness of Brooks's Whites Club nearby was known for its many Tory members, although in practice men were often members of both.
Brooks's was not established as a political club, unlike the Conservative Club or the Carlton, even though it became one and produced countless Prime Ministers and Cabinet members. Its main function was to provide social activities for its members. It was notorious in Fox's time for its gambling with some sessions lasting 22 hours and the stakes being very high. The betting was not only on horses however, as betting books reveal that any topic from war, weather and women were also considered valid bets.
Dining, with fine food, expensive wine and quality tobacco was another important facet to the Club. This is reflected in the establishment of the Fox Club. This was an inner dining club within Brooks's commemorating Charles James Fox. It seems that these dinners were a continuation of the "Whig Club" which existed at Brooks's when Fox was alive. It continues to allow members to follow what Fox stood for. Membership is restricted to 50 and is drawn almost entirely from Brooks's existing members. Two dinners are arranged annually, no speeches are given and no women are allowed to attend.
The amalgamation of Brooks with St. James' Club was the biggest event in the Club's history in modern times. It brought together two very different cultures, Brooks's with its Whiggish, traditional outlook and St. James' which was considered more artistic and cosmopolitan. In 1859 Earl Granville, a "diplomatist", made moves to formalise meetings which had already been taking place as a result of friction at the Travellers Club when most of the corps diplomatique resigned. The diplomatic services were canvassed and a new club was established with some 300 members from the foreign and English diplomatic services. The Club's original inspiration of the diplomatic corp had been wounded by war in 1914 and 1939 and membership numbers declined. Despite improvements to their club house and admitting women for dinner it could not make ends meet and was forced to consider leaving its building in Piccadilly and joining with another club. In October 1975 Saint James' closed its doors and the members went to Brooks's.
Just as Brooks's took in St. James' the latter also acted as a refuge for clubs in need of a home. In the summer of 1940 the Bachelors' Club in South Audley Street, founded in 1881, was bombed out and St. James' took in its members together with Mansfield the barman who had been there since 1902! The two Clubs were not finally amalgamated until 1946. As the names suggests members of this Club had to be bachelors and re-submit an application if they got married. There presence at Saint James' livened the Club up and established backgammon as a key feature of its activities.
St. James' Club had already set a precedent for taking in other clubs such as the Society of Dilettanti. This was founded in 1732 by a group of young men who had visited Italy on a grand tour. They assumed a responsibility to promote art and culture especially fostering an interest in classical antiquity. This lead to the neo-classical movement and the funding of archaeological expeditions. Today the membership is limited to 60 and 6 honorary members. In 1978 a charitable trust was set up by the Society to issue grants for deserving arts projects. The Society did not have premises of its own for a long time and once it did was forced to move around every few years. From 1922 it enjoyed the hospitality of St. James' Club, Piccadilly. On the closure of Saint James' in 1975, when it was almagamated with Brooks's, the Society accepted the invitation to transfer its pictures and hold dinners at Brooks's. This was a very suitable place as since Brooks's foundation in the first decade no less than 40 members were also elected members of the Society. Today the Society holds five dinners a year at Brooks's.
The history of Brooks's is inextricably linked with that of many other clubs, social and political organisations and figures. Brooks's was the youngest of the first three main clubs built before the Napoleonic wars (Whites and Boodles) and did not diminish in stature and importance over the years. The early nineteenth century saw a steady growth in club membership and the growth of numbers of clubs that had permanent and exclusive premises. St. James' Club and Bachelors' Club may no longer exist as a result of their mergers but their legacy lives on. Brooks's continues to develop and grow in number in the 21st century. The Fox Club still holds dinners there, as does the Society of Dilettanti and it remains based in the club house William Brooks commissioned for it more than two hundred years ago.
The letters formed lot 235 in Sotheby's sale on 25 March 1974 and were bought by Mr Godfrey Groves, a keen collector of topographical material relating to North London. It is possible that at one time they formed part of the Gardner Collection of London topography, broken up in 1923.
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
Conveyances are transfers of land from one party to another, usually for money. Early forms of conveyance include feoffments, surrenders and admissions at manor courts (if the property was copyhold), final concords, common recoveries, bargains and sales and leases and releases.
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
In 1929 the London County Council tramways, the Underground railways and the London General Omnibus Company proposed to coordinate their services. It was not until 1933, however, that the London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB) was established by law.
During the Second World War the government assumed control of the LPTB, and remained in charge until 1947. In that year the Transport Act set up the British Transport Commission, which appointed executive bodies to deal with transport throughout the country. One of these took over the whole of road and rail transport in London, while the LPTB became the London Transport Executive in 1948.
Between 1970 and 1984 the Greater London Council (GLC) was responsible for the overall policy and finances of London Transport, while the London Tranport Executive was responsible for the day-to-day management and operation of services. On the abolition of the GLC in 1984, London Regional Transport was formed as a statutory corporation responsible to the government. It set up a number of wholly owned subsidiaries, including London Underground Limited and London Buses Limited. In 1990 London Regional Transport became known again as London Transport for all but legal purposes.
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
Conveyances are transfers of land from one party to another, usually for money. Early forms of conveyance include feoffments, surrenders and admissions at manor courts (if the property was copyhold), final concords, common recoveries, bargains and sales and leases and releases.
Abstract of title is a summary of prior ownership of a property, drawn up by solicitors. Such an abstract may go back several hundred years or just a few months, and was usually drawn up just prior to a sale.
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
Conveyances are transfers of land from one party to another, usually for money. Early forms of conveyance include feoffments, surrenders and admissions at manor courts (if the property was copyhold), final concords, common recoveries, bargains and sales and leases and releases.
Probate (also called proving a will) is the process of establishing the validity of a will, which was recorded in the grant of probate.
If a person died intestate (without a valid will) their money, goods and possessions passed to their next of kin through an administration (or letters of administration) which had the same form in law as a will.
Abstract of title is a summary of prior ownership of a property, drawn up by solicitors. Such an abstract may go back several hundred years or just a few months, and was usually drawn up just prior to a sale.
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
The Royal Commercial Travellers' Schools at Pinner derived from a small school for the orphans of commercial travellers founded on the initiative of John Robert Cuffley in 1845 at Wanstead, then in Essex. In 1855 the foundation stone of a larger school with accommodation for 140 was laid by the Prince Consort on a site in Hatch End. The building, in red brick with stone dressings in the Gothic style, was enlarged in 1868, 1876-7, 1878, 1905, and 1907. There were 365 boys and girls, all of them boarders, in 1937. The school, which provided a grammar school education, was renamed the Royal Pinner School, Hatch End, in 1965. By this date it was in financial difficulties and it was closed in 1967, although a Royal Pinner School Foundation was set up to help pupils who had been receiving a free education. The buildings were divided between Harrow College of Further Education and a Roman Catholic primary school
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 265-269 (available online).
Early water supply to the city of London came directly from wells and rivers. However, as early as 1236 the fresh water supply was dwindling as the number of residents in the city increased; and works began to bring in fresh water from outside the city. The water brought in by pipes and conduits was free to all, although trade use was taxed. Warders or Keepers were appointed to manage the conduits; financed by local taxes. On special occasions such as coronations the conduits were made to run with wine.
The era of free water gave way to the era of commercial supply with the foundation of the New River Company (1612) and the London Bridge Waterworks (1581). Chelsea Waterworks Company was founded in 1723, and in 1746 laid the first iron water main (pipes were previously made of wood or lead). The Southwark Water Company was founded in 1760, the Lambeth Water Works Company in 1785, the Vauxhall Water Company in 1805, the West Middlesex Waterworks Company in 1806, the East London Waterworks Company in 1807, the Kent Waterworks Company in 1809 and the Grand Junction Waterworks Company in 1811.
From the 1820's concern was expressed over the quality of the water supply, which was heavily polluted, leading the Chelsea Waterworks Company to introduce sand filtration. Others were slow to follow and London began to suffer the first of many cholera outbreaks. The Poor Law Commissioner's Sanitary Report of 1842 described the woeful sanitary conditions of London's poor, and recommended a constant water supply to every house. In 1849 Doctor John Snow published his pamphlet explaining that cholera was water-borne, and impetus was provided for reform and renewal of London's water supply, especially provision of clean water and a constant supply. However as many Members of Parliament were also shareholders of the water companies, it took a long time for reforming bills to be passed, and those that did get passed were either ignored or did not go far enough in their reforms.
It was not until 1902 that the Metropolis Water Act was passed, leading to the creation of the Metropolitan Water Board. This took over eight private water companies, taking over the New River Company headquarters on Rosebery Avenue, Clerkenwell. The board was made up of 66 delegated members, 14 from the London County Council, 31 from the Metropolitan Borough Councils and City Corporation, and 21 from the authorities of localities outside the water companies' areas. From 1907 widespread reservoir and waterworks building was carried out.
From 1974 the administration of the Metropolitan Water Board was transferred to the new Thames Water Authority. In 1989 Thames Water became a private company and set up a principal operating subsidiary, Thames Water Utilities Limited, to supply water and sewerage services.
The New River was constructed between 1609 and 1613 by Sir Hugh Myddelton to bring water from Amwell and Chadwell in Hertfordshire to the City of London. The River terminated at the Commandery Mantles in Clerkenwell where ponds and a cistern house were constructed. From New River Head the water was distributed by pipes. The New River Company was incorporated by letters patent in 1619.
By 1660 it was necessary to supplement the flow of water in the New River by extracting water from the River Lee below Hertford. In 1709 an Upper Pond was built in Claremont Square some two hundred yards further up the hill from New River Head, to provide a greater head of water. Initially water was pumped to the Upper Pond from the Round Pond at New River Head by a windmill. This was replaced in 1720 by a "horse mill" which was in turn replaced in 1767 by a steam engine.
During the 19th century the original circuitous forty mile course of the New River was shortened and straightened by the construction of aqueducts, tunnels and underground pipes. Reservoirs were built at Stoke Newington in 1831 and 1833 and at Cheshunt in 1837. The Metropolis Water Act 1852 required water companies to filter all domestic water and to store it in covered reserviors. The New River Company built filtration works at Stoke Newington, Hornsey and New River Head.
The New River Company had purchased Sir Edward Ford's Waterworks at Durham Yard on the River Thames, and at St Marylebone and Wapping in 1667 (see Acc 2558/NR13/227-250). In 1818 and in 1822 the Company acquired the York Buildings Water Works and the London Bridge Water Works. Both of these enterprises had pumped water from the Thames. The New River Company ceased to extract water from the Thames for normal use, but maintained a steam engine at Broken Wharf for use in emergencies until 1850. For records relating to the York Buildings Water Works see Acc 2558/NR13/70/1-8 and page 53 of list of Metropolitan Water Board "Exhibits" (Acc 2558/MW/C/15). For records of the London Bridge Water Works see Acc 2558/LB/1-4, the list of Metropolitan Water Board "Exhibits", pages 11-13 and 27-28, Acc 2558/NR5/51-58 and Acc 2558/NR13/57-59. In 1859 the New River Company purchased the Hampstead Water Works, including the Hampstead and Highgate Ponds, which continued to supply unfiltered water until 1936. For records relating to the Hampstead Water Works see Acc 2558/NR5/22, Acc 2558/NR13/60-69, Acc 2558/MW/C/15/202/6 and Acc 2558/MW/C/15/337.
To provide additional water the Company sank twelve wells worked with steam pumps along the course of the New River. The first of these was Amwell Hill Well sunk in 1847 and the most recent was Whitewebbs Well sunk in 1898. By that date the possibilities of further supply from the Lee Valley seemed to be near exhaustion. In 1896 the New River Company combined with the Grand Junction and West Middlesex Companies to obtain powers to construct two new reservoirs at Staines to store water from the River Thames. The New River Company's Act of 1897 authorised the construction of two storage reservoirs, filter beds and a pumping station at Kempton Park to utilise the water from the Staines Reservoirs and pump it through a 42 inch trunk main 17 miles long to covered reservoirs at Fortis Green. These works were under construction at the time of the transfer of the metropolitan water undertakings to the Metropolitan Water Board in 1904.
The New River Company estate in Clerkenwell was developed as a residential area in the early 19th century, including the church of St Mark, Myddelton Square designed by the New River Company surveyor, William Chadwell Mylne. In 1904 the New River Company (Limited) was formed to take over the property interests of the New River Company in Clerkenwell, Islington, Enfield and other parishes in the vicinity of the New River.
The South London Water Works Company was incorporated in 1805 and originally drew its water from the Effra which flowed into the Thames at Vauxhall Creek. The company constructed works at Kennington and Vauxhall Bridge. In 1832 the supply of water from the Effra was abandoned as the water was polluted and silted up. Two years later, in 1834, the company changed its name to the Vauxhall Water Works Company and a limitation on its right to supply part of Lambeth and Newington (already within the Lambeth Water Works Company's area) was lifted at the same time by statute.
In 1718 a grant was made by the City of London to Francis Wilkinson to supply water to Southwark, procuring water from the Thames. In 1761 the London Bridge Water Works bought this business from a James Whitchurch whose father had acquired it from Wilkinson. In 1822 the New River Company took over the London Bridge Water Works and sold this Southwark interest to John Edwards Vaughan who, in 1820, had become the proprietor of another undertaking, the Borough Waterworks. In July 1834 the Southwark Water Company was incorporated and empowered to buy up Vaughan's undertaking and to construct new works at Battersea. The old intake at Bankside was abandoned at the same time and a temporary supply was taken from the Lambeth Company. In 1845 new works were built at Battersea on the approximate side of the Power Station and in 1855 an intake from the Thames was introduced at Hampton. Wells were also sunk at Streatham, Honor Oak and Merton Abbey in 1888 and 1902. In 1861 the Company took over the Richmond Water Company.
Between 1839 and 1842 there was a period of unfruitful competition between the Vauxhall company and the Southwark and Lambeth companies. Eventually in 1845 the Southwark and the Vauxhall companies were amalgamated to form The Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company. The works at Kennington were dismantled and conveyed to the Phoenix Gas Company in 1847.
The Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company acquired land at Hampton in 1851 and in 1852 an Act was obtained to sanction the construction of new works and to enlarge the authorised supply area. In 1870 the company began filtering the water at Hampton and the following year, in order to prepare for the introduction of constant supply, decided to construct four covered reservoirs at Nunhead. Peckham, to be supplied with filtered water from Hampton.
A high service reservoir was built on Forest Hill in 1887 and a pumping station at Wandsworth was brought into use in 1891 for pumping to Wimbledon and the higher levels. Wells were sunk at Streatham in 1888 and later at Honor Oak (1901) and Merton Abbey (1902). Throughout the 1890s additions were made to the Hampton works and by 1903 the company was able to dispense with the Battersea Works.
As a result of the Metropolis Water Act 1902, the Metropolitan Water Board took over the functions of the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company in 1904. When it did so the company was in the course of constructing storage reservoirs at Honor Oak and Walton.
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
Conveyances are transfers of land from one party to another, usually for money. Early forms of conveyance include feoffments, surrenders and admissions at manor courts (if the property was copyhold), final concords, common recoveries, bargains and sales and leases and releases.
Source: British Records Association Guidelines 3: How to interpret deeds (available online).
The "TOT Staff Magazine" (Train Omnibus Tram) was a magazine for the staff employed in transport companies.
This letter has 'strayed' from official custody and become separated from the records of the Westminster Quarter Sessions among which it would have been expected to be found. It has therefore been catalogued separately, although a copy can be found in the main series of records.
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
Conveyances are transfers of land from one party to another, usually for money. Early forms of conveyance include feoffments, surrenders and admissions at manor courts (if the property was copyhold), final concords, common recoveries, bargains and sales and leases and releases.
An assignment of a lease is the transfer of the rights laid out in the lease to another party, usually for a consideration (a sum of money).
Abstract of title is a summary of prior ownership of a property, drawn up by solicitors. Such an abstract may go back several hundred years or just a few months, and was usually drawn up just prior to a sale.
A covenant or deed of covenant was an agreement entered into by one of the parties to a deed to another. A covenant for production of title deeds was an agreement to produce deeds not being handed over to a purchaser, while a covenant to surrender was an agreement to surrender copyhold land.
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
The Berkeley family's seat was at Berkeley Castle, Gloucestershire built in 1153 by Lord Maurice Berkeley. Lord Berkeley of Stratton (died 1678) ran the Duke of York's household and built himself a magnificent London house in Piccadilly. His descendants laid out Berkeley Square in the grounds. In 1679 George Berkeley made first Earl of Berkeley by King Charles II.
The fifth Earl of Berkeley, Frederick Augustus (1745-1810) took Mary Cole, a butcher's daughter as his mistress. In 1796 they married, Mary having borne the earl five children and later that year their legitimate son Thomas Moreton was born. Mary was anxious about the legitimacy of her adored eldest son William Fitzharding (1786-1857). In 1799 she and earl forged the Berkeley parish register with a false entry for a secret marriage 1785 to make all their children legitimate. On the death of the earl in 1810, the Berkeley Peerage Case was heard in the House of Lords and in 1811 the earldom passed to Thomas Moreton. In 1841 William Fitzharding was given the title Earl Fitzhardinge.
The family held estates throughout England, including the Manor of Cranford, the Manor of Harlington and the Manor of Harlington with Shepiston. For a detailed history of the three manors please see: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962).
The Reverend the Honorable Baptist Wriothesley Noel was born in 1798, eleventh son of Sir Gerard Noel Noel of Exton Park and his wife Diana, Baroness Barham. His brother was the 1st Earl of Gainsborough (2nd creation). He was educated at Trinity College Cambridge before entering the Church. For many years he officiated at St John's Chapel, Bedford Row, where his sermons were popular with upper-class worshippers. In 1848 he declared himself a dissenter and joined the Baptist church. He was a supporter of Evangelical groups including the City Mission. He was married to Jane Baillie with whom he had 4 sons and 4 daughters. He died in 1873 aged 75.
Noel's son Ernest appears in this collection. Ernest Noel was born in 1831 and was the Chairman of the Eagle, Star and British Dominions Insurance Company.
Information from The Times, Tuesday, Jan 21, 1873; pg. 8; Issue 27592; col C.
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
An assignment of term, or assignment to attend the inheritance, was an assignment of the remaining term of years in a mortgage to a trustee after the mortgage itself has been redeemed. An assignment of a lease is the transfer of the rights laid out in the lease to another party, usually for a consideration (a sum of money).
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
John Coverdale was the senior partner of 'Coverdale, Lee, Collyer Bristow and Withers' Solicitors in Bedford Row during the nineteenth century. He was also a London Commissioner, with power to administer oaths in the High Court of Chancery.
The properties were purchased by John Robert Augustus Oetzmann. After his death ownership was transferred to Messrs Oetzmann and Company. Oetzmann and Company are listed in the Post Office London Directory for 1895 as "complete house furnishers, cabinet makers and upholsterers, British carpet and rug warehouse, importers of Turkey, Persian, Indian and every description of Oriental carpets and rugs". They had premises at 67, 69, 71, 73, 75, 77 and 79 Hampstead Road; and also at Drummond Street, William Street and Eagle Place.