Affichage de 15888 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Parliamentary Committee was established in 1837 to watch Bills and Acts in Parliament likely to affect the interests of the Corporation or citizens of the City of London. Its functions were transferred to the Law, Parliamentary and City Courts Committee in 1856.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Rates Committee was concerned with the income and expenditure of the rates (tax assessments on property) and was responsible for preparing estimates. It was amalgamated with the Coal Corn and Finance Committee on 21 Mar 1968 to form The Coal, Corn and Rates Finance Committee.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Special Committee in Relation to Railways was formed to monitor and consider government schemes relating to metropolitan railways.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Special (City of London Court) Committee was formed to consider matters relating to the offices and duties of the Judge of the City of London Court.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The City of London School Committee administered the City of London School. The City of London School was founded as a result of a bequest of John Carpenter, Town Clerk, for the education of four poor boys born in the City of London, and established at Honey Lane Market in 1837. It was moved to the Victoria Embankment in 1882.

In January 1970 the City of London Schools and Freemen's School Committees were amalgamated as the City of London Education Committee. In April 1973 this Committee was replaced by the Schools Committee which rarely met and was disbanded with effect from January 1980. The Committee also appointed a Board of Governors for each of the schools. From May 1973 there are separate minutes for each Board of Governors, who took over the administration of the schools.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Special (Guildhall Reconstruction) Committee was an ad hoc Committee first appointed following a report of the City Lands Committee, which was approved by the Court of Common Council on 27 May 1954. The Committee comprised 2 Aldermen nominated by the Court of Aldermen, 4 Common Councilmen nominated by the City Lands Committee and 6 by the Court of Common Council, plus the Chairmen of the City Lands Committee and of the Coal, Corn and Finance Committee. It dealt with all matters affecting the restoration of the Guildhall and the reconstruction of the adjacent buildings, which had previously been dealt with by the City Lands Committee.

Its work completed, the Committee was disbanded by the Court of Common Council on 23 Nov 1978. Outstanding references were transferred to the City Lands and Bridge House Estates Committee. In place of this Committee and the Central Criminal Court (Extension) Committee (also disbanded at the same time), the Works Advisory Committee was appointed with effect from Jan 1979.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Select General Purposes (Porters) Committee was appointed on the 27 May 1852 to enquire into, and submit for revision if necessary, the privileges maintained and charges exacted in the performance of the duties of the various fellowship Porters under the control of the Corporation.

'Tackle porters' were responsible for loading and unloading ships and a 'fellowship porter' was a member of the fellowship of the Porters of Billingsgate. 'Ticket porters' were members of a body of porters in the City of London who were licensed by the Corporation; originally called street-porters, and distinct from tackle porters. They were entitled to work in the Corporation markets.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Special Housing Committee was appointed on 22 Jan 1920 to exercise powers conferred upon the Common Council under the Housing Town Planning Act 1919 (which made the preparation of planning schemes mandatory). The powers and duties were transferred to the Improvements and Finance Committee in 1927.

The Special Housing Committee was concerned with schemes for providing housing for the working classes under the 1919 Act e.g. at Hercules Road and Old Kent Road in South East London, as well as at Ilford.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

Spitalfields Market dates to the thirteenth century, when the market was held in a field next to St Mary Spittel Church near Bishopsgate. In 1682, King Charles II granted John Balch a Royal Charter that gave him the right to hold a market on Thursdays and Saturdays in or near Spital Square. For the next 200 years, the market supplied fresh fruit and vegetables, becoming known for the sale of home-grown produce, which was being traded there six days a week. By 1876, a former market porter called Robert Horner bought a short lease on the market and started work on a new market building, which was completed in 1893. In 1920, the Corporation of London acquired direct control of the market, extending the original buildings some eight years later. For the next 60 years, Spitalfields' expanded and the traffic congestion in the surrounding narrow streets became difficult to manage. The market was forced to move and in May 1991 it reopened in Leyton.

The Spitalfields Market Committee was formed in 1937 to manage the administration of the market. In 2002 the Billingsgate and Leadenhall Markets Committee, the Central Markets Committee and the Spitalfields Market Committee were amalgamated under the Markets Committee.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Thames Navigation Committee was responsible for keeping the river clear of obstructions and maintaining and regulating locks, weirs, tow-paths and docks.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The City of London have had the right to control their own police force, anciently called 'the watch', from time immemorial. The Watch was controlled through the Watch and Ward Committee under the government of the Aldermen. Constables were appointed annually and were responsible for peace and good order. Constables were chosen from householders acting in rotation, although they often paid for a stand-in to be hired instead. Marshalmen and Night Watchmen were appointed to assist them. In 1693 an Act of Common Council was passed stating that 1000 Watchmen should be constantly on duty in the City from sunset to sunrise - this was called the 'Standing Watch'. In 1737 an Act was passed allowing the Common Council to pass an annual order settling the number of Watchmen and imposing taxes for their maintenance. This was known as the 'Nightly Watch Act'.

From around 1737 attempts were made to create an equivalent day force. For several years Extra Constables were sworn in to provide assistance to Ward Constables. In 1800 an experimental force of professional police was created to ensure policing during the day as well as at night. In 1834 the Common Council formed the Day Police Committee to send a deputation to the Court of Aldermen asking them to consider ways of providing a permanent day force. In 1838 the Common Council attempted to levy a rate to support a new combined police force for day and night, however, proposals were being put before Parliament to make the City of London part of the Metropolitan Police District. This was strongly opposed by the Corporation and in 1839 they put a Bill into Parliament which led to the 'Act for regulating the Police in the City of London'. This Act established that the Corporation should appoint a suitable person to be Commissioner of the Police Force of the City of London and that they should form a Police Committee to provide supplies for the force and maintain their buildings.

Corporation of London

The City of London has no charter of incorporation, and rights and privileges were granted by the Crown to the citizens under numerous titles - to the barons of London, to the mayor and citizens, or simply to the citizens - which titles were recited and confirmed in a charter of 1608 as names of incorporation. While the charters are rightly considered to be landmarks in civic history, they have to be read in conjunction with the customs of the period. As the first charter of William the Conqueror has reference to the civic laws of the time of Edward the Confessor, so many later charters simply confirm and elaborate on ancient customs and liberties.

In 1682-1683 the King's Bench issued a writ of Quo Warranto against the City of London which led to the Charter of the City being forfeited and the Corporation of London being dissolved, reducing the city to the legal status of a small village. Quo Warranto writs had often been used to regulate liberties and franchises, such as the right to hold a fair or a market. It was claimed that the City of London had breached its Charter by allowing the collection of tolls at market and by publishing a seditious petition against the King and Government - these abuses of the ancient liberties of the City were enough to justify issuing the writ. The overall aim of the King, Charles II, was to control the personnel and the government of the Corporation of London. After the Charter was forfeited the King issued a new one giving him the right to appoint and remove officers, including the Mayor, Sheriffs, Recorder, Common Sergeant, Justices of the Peace and Coroner, thus allowing him direct control over the government of the City. Between 1683 and 1688 the City of London was governed by a Royal Commission. In October 1688 King James II issued a Proclamation restoring the City Liberties as fully as before the Quo Warranto judgement. In 1690 a Special Committee of the House of Commons declared the judgement illegal and an Act of Parliament was passed restoring the City to its ancient rights, enacting that the City might prescribe to be a corporation and declaring that the Charter of the City of London should never be forfeited for any cause whatsoever.

Corporation of London

The Chamber of a city is the place where the funds of the corporation are kept and where moneys due are received - a kind of treasury. The Chamber is run by the Chamberlain, an officer who receives the rents and revenues owed to the corporation. The origin of the Chamber of London is obscure, but as soon as the citizens were sufficiently united to hold lands and tenements in common an officer must have been appointed to collect rents and disburse income for public welfare. The Chamber is first mentioned in 1275 and in the following year Stephen de Mundene is named as City Chamberlain. At first the Chamberlain was chosen by the Mayor and Aldermen, but by 1319 elections were introduced and the officer was chosen by the liverymen in Common Hall.

The Chamberlain's duties combined municipal finance with public banking. His main duty was as treasurer or banker of the City of London with custody of the monies of the Corporation, called the City's Cash, and other funds. Former Chamberlains were able to keep for themselves profits derived from interest on the cash! The Chamberlain also collects the rents of all Corporation properties and makes payments on behalf of the Corporation including salaries and pensions. He also invests money, is responsible for insurance, the preparation of tax returns and production of reports and statistics.

Additionally, the Chamberlain was the Accountant General of the Court of Orphans (see CLA/002) and held all money belonging to the orphans on which he allowed interest. For this purpose the Chamberlain held a Common Seal, first mentioned in 1396. He was also the occasional collector of taxes for the London area, particularly those granted to the City by the monarchy in return for loans. The Coal Duty for reconstruction of public buildings after the Great Fire was paid into the Chamber, as was any money borrowed by the City. The Chamberlain was also treasurer of any charitable funds organised by the City.

The Chamberlain's Court administers applications and admissions to the City Freedom, liaises with the City Livery Companies and advises the Corporation, Livery Companies and correspondents on various aspects of the City Freedom, including precedent and custom. The Court was also responsible for the admission of apprentices, see COL/CHD/AP.

Corporation of London

The acceleration of population growth in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries coupled with the Industrial Revolution massively increased the number of people living in urban areas - in 1891 a quarter of the country's population lived in London. Accommodation for the urban poor was usually crowded tenements with poor sanitation and no amenities. This state of affairs gradually attracted press attention, with observers expressing moral indignation at the conditions in which people were forced to live as well as fear that such slums would spread disease and social uprisings might occur. Various Acts of Parliament were introduced in an attempt to control the problem, such as the Lodging Houses Act of 1851 which permitted local authorities to erect and repair lodging houses, the Labouring Classes Dwelling Houses Act of 1866 which extended local authority powers to provide housing for the labouring classes, and the Artisans and Labourers Dwellings Acts of 1868 and 1875 which permitted local authorities to close, demolish and improve unfit dwellings. Unfortunately none of these Acts provided any subsidy for the local authorities and few acted on them. It was still not widely accepted that the local authority had any part to play in housing provision. Additionally, the new housing built to replace slums was often for the artisan class meaning that the poorest inhabitants of the demolished slum were displaced with nowhere to live. Nevertheless, the Corporation of London embarked on several housing projects: the Corporation Buildings on Farringdon Street, built in 1865, were the earliest council housing scheme.

In 1884 the Royal Commission on the Housing of the Poor examined sanitary conditions, public health, the availability of accommodation, rents, the cost of living and building costs. The Commission produced evidence showing that slums were not inhabited only by the criminal or destitute but by hard working, otherwise respectable families forced to live in such conditions by high rents and lack of housing. The Commission recommended legislation and the Housing of the Working Classes Act of 1885 was passed, enabling municipal bodies to provide and improve housing for the working population and providing low interest loans to encourage construction. An addition to the Act in 1890 gave local authorities the power of compulsory purchase of land, allowing them to provide housing other than on a replacement basis following slum clearance.

After the First World War it was acknowledged that there was a housing shortage, and that the housing provided had to be suitable for returning soldiers - 'Homes for Heroes' became a popular slogan. Local authorities were the obvious vehicle for that provision and subsidies were provided to encourage the building of half a million homes in three years. The Housing and Town Planning Act of 1919 encouraged revolutionary new standards of building including indoor toilets, a bathroom, separate cooking areas, hot water, gas and open spaces around the homes. Unfortunately this proved too expensive and the subsidies were withdrawn: in the 1923 Housing Act standards of building were lowered. The 1930 Housing Act encouraged local authorities to focus on more slum clearance but made it a requirement to re-house everyone displaced by the clearance.

A similar crisis in housing occurred after the Second World War, when nearly four million homes were destroyed or damaged by enemy action. Local authorities were again used as instruments for housing provision. The Government set local targets and used administrative controls to ensure that their plans were followed. Housing provision by local authorities only increased in the 1950s and by the 1970s local authorities accounted for the building of over 100,000 dwellings a year, as well as continuing slum clearance projects.

Corporation of London

The Guildhall has had a library since 1425, founded as part of a bequest by Mayor Richard Whittington. However, in 1550 the books were removed by the Duke of Somerset for his palace in the Strand and all but one of the original books is now lost. The survivor is a late 13th century Latin Bible. In 1828 a new Guildhall Library was established with the remit to collect material relating to the history and topography of the City of London, Southwark and Middlesex, including prints and drawings. This library was quite small and was rebuilt in 1873. In 1940 the library was hit by enemy action and 25,000 volumes were lost to the subsequent fire, with thousands more affected by water damage.

The collection is now of designated national and international importance and strengths include works on the history of London, English law reports, wine and food (including the Elizabeth David Collection), clocks and clockmakers (including the library of the Clockmaker's Guild), business history, marine history (material deposited by Lloyds of London), The Gardeners' Company collection (historic books on gardening), The Fletchers' Company collection (books on archery), the Gresham College collection (17th and 18th century music and early travel and exploration), the Cock Collection (material on Sir Thomas More), the Charles Lamb Society collection, the Chapman Bequest (19th century plays), the Hamilton Bequest (18th and 19th century plays), the Pepys Collection (Samuel Pepys) and a collection of 18th, 19th and 20th century books on shorthand.

Corporation of London

The first recorded Mayor of London was Henry Fitz-Ailwyn in 1189. Since then, some 700 men and one woman have over the centuries held the position of chief officer of the City of London. The most famous of them all is Dick Whittington, who held office three times, in 1397, 1406 and 1419. Contrary to popular belief, Dick Whittington was not a poor, ill-treated orphan who managed against all the odds to work his way up to Lord Mayor. Coming from a wealthy family, Richard Whittington had a successful business and civic career before he became Lord Mayor. As for the black cat which supposedly helped him found his fortune, no-one is quite sure how this part of the myth grew up! The fact is that Dick Whittington carved out a successful business career in a very practical way as a mercer (dealer in costly fabrics such as silk), wool merchant and royal financier.

The Lord Mayor has throughout the centuries played a vital role in the life of the City of London and continues to do so today. In the City, the Lord Mayor ranks immediately after the sovereign and acts as the capital's host in Guildhall and Mansion House, his official residence. On behalf of the City and the nation he carries out numerous engagements at home and abroad. Although in former years a person could become Lord Mayor as many times as the electorate would vote him in - Dick Whittington being such an example - nowadays one year of such demanding activity is considered enough.

The right of citizens to elect their own Mayor dates from the Charter granted by King John to the City in 1215. The election of Lord Mayor is held at the end of September each year in Guildhall. The assembly, known as Common Hall, consists of all liverymen of at least one year's standing together with certain high officers of the City. All aldermen who have served the office of sheriff and who have not already been Lord Mayor are eligible.

The Lord Mayor's household includes staff based at Mansion House, such as the Private Secretary, Researcher, Speechwriter, Events Manager and Keeper of the House.

Corporation of London

The office of Sheriff is of greater antiquity than any other in the City of London and is mentioned in Anglo Saxon laws of the seventh century. The Sheriffs, alongside Wicreves and Portreeves, exercised the King's authority over the citizens, collected royal revenue and enforced royal justice. Henry I granted the City the right to choose their own Sheriff in 1132, together with the right to choose the Sheriff of Middlesex. The two sheriffs held office jointly as the Sheriffs of London and Middlesex. The right to appoint the Middlesex sheriff was lost in 1888, although the City continued to elect two sheriffs for the City of London. At the same date the fee formerly payable to the Exchequer was redeemed by the Corporation so that all estate and interest in the office of Sheriff belonged to the Corporation and all fees from the shrievalty were received by the City. At first sheriffs were elected on St Matthew's Day (21 September) but it was advanced to 1 August in 1538 and later to Midsummer Day. The office was held for a year and no person who had served as sheriff once was eligible to serve again. In 1385 the Common Council stipulated that every Mayor must first serve as Sheriff to test his suitability for the post.

The sheriffs were expected to attend the Lord Mayor in the discharge of his official functions and to join him in works of charity and at events. They attended the Courts of Aldermen and Common Council as well as Common Hall and the Court of Husting. They were Execution Officers at the Central Criminal Court and had to be in attendance to carry out directions given by the Judges. They also had to attend the Sessions to see the Judges into Court, and be present when a capital sentence was passed. The sheriff was also required to wait upon the Sovereign and ascertain the royal will and pleasure as to the reception of addresses from the Corporation. The sheriff also presented petitions from the Corporation to the House of Commons.

The modern sheriffs are elected on Midsummer's Day (24 June) by the City livery companies. Their duties remain similar to those of their historical predecessors, including attending the Lord Mayor in carrying out his official duties, attending the sessions at the Central Criminal Court in the Old Bailey and presenting petitions from the City to Parliament at the Bar at the House of Commons.

Corporation of London

The City Surveyor is responsible for the construction and management of various City non-residential properties, including those properties belonging to Bridge House estates and City Lands estates.

Corporation of London

The division of the City of London into wards is confirmed in the earliest written records and was considered fundamental to municipal organisation. The ward was an administrative division of the City and each ward was managed by an Alderman. In 1206 the total number of wards was recorded as 24, although by 1550 this had increased to 26 with the division of Farringdon into two wards and the addition of Bridge Without covering the area of Southwark. In the present day there are 25 wards. Each ward held a court called the Wardmote which had a wide jurisdiction for the preservation of the peace and had the power to inflict appropriate punishments. A synopsis of civic regulations was read annually at the Wardmote and a special inquest jury was appointed to report on breaches of regulation, unlicensed victuallers, defective weights, fraudulent traders and other complaints of the inhabitants of the ward. Gradually the municipality took over many of these duties and election of officers became the major concern of the Wardmote, although local problems can still be brought to the attention of the Court of Aldermen.

Wardmotes are held annually for the constitutents of a ward to meet their representative, raise concerns and ask questions. Elections for Common Councilmen are held every 4 years.

The 25 wards of the City of London are: Aldersgate, Aldgate, Bassishaw, Billingsgate, Bishopsgate, Bread Street, Bridge, Broad Street, Candlewick, Castle Baynard, Cheap, Coleman Street, Cordwainer, Cornhill, Cripplegate, Dowgate, Farringdon Within, Farringdon Without, Langbourn, Lime Street, Portsoken, Queenhithe, Tower, Vintry and Walbrook.

Crystal Palace Trustees

The Crystal Palace of the 1851 Exhibition in Hyde Park was re-erected, with considerable enlargements, at Sydenham in 1852-4 by a private company. By 1911 the company was in difficulties and public subscriptions were raised to save the palace and park. Under the Crystal Palace Act, 1914 (4 Geo.5, c.5 local) their entire control and management "as a place for education and recreation and for the promotion of industry commerce and art", was vested in Trustees, of whom 23 were representatives of local authorities, six being nominated by the Council. The palace was burnt down in 1936 and available funds were insufficient for its re-erection prior to the outbreak of the war of 1939-45. A scheme to use the site for the celebration of the centenary of the 1851 Exhibition fell through and under the London County Council (Crystal Palace) Act, 1951, the Council took over all the assets and responsibilities of the Trustees as from 1 January 1952.

The Technical Services departments at the Greater London Council (GLC) provided a fully comprehensive building service from design and construction to maintenance. The departments included Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Architecture, Valuation, Project Management and London Community Builders. The Technical Services Group allowed the GLC to sustain major programmes of work such as housing renovation and the construction of industrial buildings.

In the early 1880s, the vicar of Saint Mary-at-Finchley set up a new parish of Saint Paul. A site was found at Long Lane, Finchley, Barnet. The money for construction was raised by subscription and the new church was dedicated on 27 March 1886 by the Right Reverend Frederick Temple (1821-1902), Bishop of London and later Archbishop of Canterbury. The first vicar was the Reverend Samuel Mayall, the curate of St Mary-at-Finchley until 1927. During his period as incumbent, a hall and Sunday School buildings were built next to the church.

In 1978-80, the original hall and Sunday School buildings were demolished for the construction of flats and the money received was used to re-order the church. In 1985, the parish merged with Saint Luke, Finchley becoming Saint Paul with Saint Luke and in January 2006, the sale of St Luke's church hall was completed. The money from the sale paid for the building of the Saint Paul's Centre which was dedicated on 5 October 2008 by the Right Reverend Richard Chartres, Bishop of London.

Source of information: http://www.stpaulsfinchley.org.uk/history.html.

The Beaufoy Trust: In 1850 Henry Beaufoy erected school buildings in Doughty Street Lambeth on land purchased from the London and South Western Railway Company. From 1851 to 1872 the schools were managed by the Committee of the Lambeth Ragged Schools Society and consisted of a day school, a Sunday school and meetings and elementary classes on evenings of weekdays. The building and land remained the property of the trustees. In 1872 the day school was transferred to the School Board for London which used the building until 1880. The Committee of the Lambeth Ragged Schools Society retained the use of the premises for a Sunday School, evening classes and meetings.

Following an inquiry by the Charity Commissioners a report was presented in 1878. Although the Charity Commissioners and the trustees doubted whether the Lambeth Ragged Schools Society could carry on the schools according to the wishes of the founder, a temporary scheme was established 18 September 1883. Philanthropic work of various kinds was carried on at this time but the educational nature of the work was limited. A new scheme was therefore created 8th November 1889, under the title of The Beaufoy Trusts. The trustees continued to permit the use of the school building by the Lambeth Ragged Schools Society for social and philanthropic work which included a Sunday School and other classes for the poor of the district.

In 1898 the school building was disposed of and a new institute was erected on a site in Princes Road and Vauxhall Street. In 1909 it was transferred to the London County Council for use as a technical day school for boys, and for evening classes. From 1 January 1946 a secondary technical school, the Borough - Beaufoy County Secondary School was established, derived from the Borough Polytechnic Junior Technical School and the Beaufoy Junior Technical Day School. In September 1964 the Beaufoy School (a new county secondary school,) was opened in Lollard Street, London, SB11.

Eldon School: Eldon School was founded by Charles Francis in 1829 and a schoolroom and master's residence were erected in Wandsworth Road. In 1847 it was established as a charity. The school was conducted as a public elementary school under the management of a Committee consisting of the trustees (including the Vicar of St Anne's, South Lambeth) and others. In 1891 the school was heavily in debt and the Vicar of St Anne's was unwilling to keep it open as a day school. It was therefore closed in 1891 and the premises used for Sunday school classes, a lad's institute, and various classes. From 7 April 1905 the Hill, Eldon and Francis Foundation was administered by the Beaufoy Trust. By an order of the Board of Education 9 January 1907 the Governors of the Hill, Eldon and Francis Foundation were authorised to sell the Eldon School. It seems likely that the sale took place in 1908 and the proceeds were added to the capital endowment of the Foundation.

West Ham Park was attached to a private residence, owned from 1812 by banker Samuel Gurney. In 1872 the house was demolished and the Gurney family sold the park for £25,000 on the condition that it become a public open space.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Thavie's Inn , civil parish

Thavie's Inn was an extra-parochial place (in Farringdon Without Ward), which was constituted a civil parish in 1858. It was co-terminous with the legal Inn of Chancery of the same name.

Westminster Paving Commissioners

The Westminster Paving Commissioners were established in 1762 with responsibility for the maintenance of the streets and roads, including repairing paving and cobbles and improving drainage. The Commissioners' powers diminished as individual parishes began to establish their own committees for street maintenance.

The Manor of East Smithfield was that part of the parish of Saint Botolph Aldgate which was in Middlesex, also known as the Liberty of East Smithfield.

Jewin Street Methodist Chapel

The Wesleyan chapel on the north side of Jewin Street, near the west end of Jewin Crescent, was established in the 18th century. It was rebuilt in 1847. In 1878 the chapel was sold, and, although the trustees tried to maintain an establishment in Shaftesbury Hall, Aldersgate Street, this failed. The receipts from the sale of Jewin Street were then passed to Wesley's Chapel on the City Road.

Sion College

Sion College was a society of Anglican clergy rather than an educational establishment. It was established in 1624 out of the bequest of Dr Thomas White, rector of Saint Dunstan in the West, who left £3000 to found a college for City clergy and an almshouse. The charter was recieved in 1630, constituting all "Rectors, Vicars, Lecturers and Clergy in or close to the City" as Fellows of the College. Management of the College lay with a President, two Deans and their assistants. The addition of a library was the suggestion of John Simpson, rector of Saint Olave Hart Street and executor of White's bequest. The reason for the name of the College is unknown. The original site was at London Wall. The buildings and all the books were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666, but rebuilding took place by 1678. The Library continued to expand and by 1850 was estimated to hold 40,000 volumes. In 1879 the College bought land on Victoria Embankment and constructed a new building, opened in 1886. The almshouses were separated and renamed Sion Hospital. By the 1980s the Library was thought to hold 100,000 volumes. The College was closed in 1996.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Greyfriars Franciscan monastery was situated in Farringdon on Newgate Street. It was suppressed during the dissolution of the monasteries in 1538 and given to the Lord Mayor and citizens of London in December 1547. It was decided by Edward VI to convert the monastery into an orphanage and school for poor children. By November 1552 the building was ready and 340 fatherless children were admitted (at this date a child was considered orphaned if the father had died, even if the mother was still alive). In the early years of the school, those too young to receive full-time education were "put out to nurse" in the country, usually in Essex or Hertfordshire, or else remained with their parents, who received a weekly allowance.

The school became known as the 'Blue Coat School' because the children were required to wear a uniform of blue gown, red belt and yellow stockings. In 1553 a Charter was signed to confirm the transformation of Greyfriars into Christ's Hospital; a hospital in the older sense of 'a charitable institution for the housing and maintenance of the needy' (Oxford English Dictionary).

Branches of the school existed at Hertford from at least 1653, at Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, from 1666 to circa 1690, and at Ware, Hertfordshire, from about the same period until 1760. From 1778 the Hertford premises were used as the girls' school and as a preparatory school for boys.

The Royal Mathematical School, founded in 1673, was an integral part of Christ's Hospital, from which its pupils, all boys, were chosen at the age of 11 or 12. They were educated in mathematics and navigation, and were intended for service in the Royal Navy.

Christ's Hospital moved from the City of London to Horsham in 1902, and at the same time the boys' preparatory school also moved from Hertford to Horsham. The girls' school remained at Hertford until 1985, when it also moved to Horsham.

Sir John Cass's Foundation

Sir John Cass was born in Rosemary Lane, in the parish of St Botolph Aldgate, on 20 February 1660/1, son of Thomas and Martha Cass. Thomas Cass was a master carpenter at the Tower of London, but in 1665 the Cass family moved to Grove Street in Hackney and where Thomas acquired considerable land. John Cass was involved in Hackney affairs, becoming a select vestryman in 1699, but became wealthy as a City of London merchant. He was a colonel in the Orange Regiment of the City militia by 1707 and was elected as an MP for the City in 1710 and served until 1715. He was knighted in 1712. Cass was elected as Alderman for the Portsoken Ward three times in 1710, but was rejected by the Court of Aldermen for his Jacobite tendencies until 1711. He remained Alderman until his death in 1718 and served as Sheriff in 1711-12. His father had been master of the Carpenter's Company and he used the Company to enter City politics; he bought his way to the mastership in 1711 by paying 11 years quarterage and fines for the three subordinate offices he had not filled. In 1713 he transferred to the Skinners' Company (one of the great twelve which perhaps suggests Mayoral ambitions) and was master of that company in 1714. He was married to Elizabeth (perhaps nee Franklin), but they had no children. In 1709 he made a will which mentioned his intention to build a school for the poor children of the ward. This school was built in a room over the passage between the porch and south gate of St Botolph Aldgate and opened in 1710.

When John Cass made his first will in 1709 he endowed his intended school with his property in Althorne and West Tilbury, Essex and Bromley by Bow and Hackney, Middlesex. Thereafter he bought land in Poplar Marsh and Stepney, Middlesex, but he died in 1718 while signing his second will which added this land to the endowment. The land in Poplar and Stepney went to his heirs-at-law, but his widow Elizabeth maintained the school until her death in 1732. Thereafter Valentine Brewis, deputy of Portsoken Ward, had Cass's second will proved and kept the school until he died in 1738. The vestry of St Botolph Aldgate started a suit in Chancery in 1742, but it was only in 1748 that a Chancery scheme emerged for the charity and 21 trustees were appointed. The school was then re-established, in rooms above Aldgate. The charity's income derived largely from the rents of the lands left by Sir John Cass. In 1847 its annual income was £2,300; in 1868 £5,300. The largest property holding was in South Hackney where in 1817 it was estimated to be ca. 87 acres around Grove Street, Well Street and Well Street Common. Another 13 acres at the south end of Grove Street lay in Bethnal Green and the trustees held ca. 50 acres in Hackney Marsh.

The income from estates increased in the later 19th century, particularly from the Hackney estate which was let on short building leases from 1846. The rising income led to pressure for reform of the charity, both from Hackney residents who wanted to establish another Cass school there, and from the Charity Commissioners. The trustees disliked the Commissioners' proposals and successfully resisted them until 1894 when a Charity Commission Scheme (approved in 1895) provided for the establishment of a Technical Institute. The Sir John Cass Technical Institute was built in Jewry Street and opened in 1902. The Charity Commissioners' scheme also reorganised the charity into a Foundation with governors replacing the trustees previously appointed for life. The scheme also led to the establishment of a Sir John Cass Hackney Technical Institute, at Cassland House, with three of the Foundation's governors on the Board. This institute was taken over by the London County Council in 1909. Various ward schools and St Botolph Aldgate Parochial School amalgamated with the Cass School at the beginning of the 20th century. The records of these schools prior to amalgamation were deposited with the Sir John Cass's Foundation archive.

Sir John Cass's Foundation , Cass School

Sir John Cass was interested in the (practical and religious) education, clothing and advancement of the poor children of Portsoken Ward. His school was opened in 1710, but a ward school was probably maintained by voluntary subscriptions from about 1689. The 1748 Chancery Scheme provided for 21 trustees, a schoolmaster to oversee 50 boys and a schoolmistress for 40 girls. The trustees were to provide the children with clothing and a daily dinner. Boys were to be given a suit of clothing and apprenticeship fee at 14 and girls received clothing when they went into service at the same age. The school built by Cass and the rooms used above the Aldgate were demolished when the Aldgate was pulled down for road widening. The trustees leased a house in Church Row from 1762 (previously used as a Quaker boarding school). The Cass School moved from Church Row in 1869 to 25 and 26 Jewry Street which the trustees bought and rebuilt as a school. By 1869 the school was attended by 110 boys and 90 girls, all Church of England, in receipt of free education, clothing and dinners. In 1871 the Foundation also supported a school in Church Row and an infant school in Goodman's Yard. The school in Church Row was open to any child over 7 residing in the parish. "Well conducted" children were encouraged to proceed to the Cass School in Jewry Street. The Church Row school was taken over by the School Board for London in 1890.The infant school in Goodman's Yard, was maintained by the Foundation from 1871-91.

The school in Jewry Street was demolished in 1898 and a new School and Institute Building erected on the site and adjacent property. In 1908 the School was transferred to a new building erected on a site extending from Duke Street to Mitre Street, surrounding the disused churchyard of St James Duke's Place, where it now remains as a Primary School. The 1944 Education Act required separate provision for primary and secondary education. As a result the Secondary School amalgamated with the Red Coat School, Stepney, to form the Sir John Cass's Foundation and Red Coat School in Stepney Way. Before 1895, there was little separation of the administration of the Cass School and the Cass charity. The schoolmaster acted as clerk to the trustees, writing letters and taking minutes of their meetings. Before 1870 when the school managers' minutes begin, the board minutes (Ms 31010) are much concerned with the school. In particular Ms 31010/4-14 include (unindexed) admissions of children 1758-1894. The minutes and accounts groups of the archive also include other records from 1720 which relate to the school.

Cornhill and Lime Street Wards School

Cornhill and Lime Street Wards School was established in 1711 and minutes of the committee of management survive from then. Admissions of children are recorded in the minutes from 1738.

Langbourn Ward School was founded in 1702 and on the expiration of the lease of its schoolhouse in 1874 was united with Cornhill and Lime Street Wards School.

The united school was conducted at the Cornhill and Lime Street schoolhouse in St Mary Axe until its amalgamation with the Cass School.

Langbourn Ward School

Langbourn Ward School was founded in 1702 and on the expiration of the lease of its schoolhouse in 1874 was united with Cornhill and Lime Street Wards School.

The united school was conducted at the Cornhill and Lime Street schoolhouse in St Mary Axe until its amalgamation with the Cass School.

Samuel Butler made his will in 1821 (he died in 1837) leaving money to be divided between 12 City of London and East End parishes, including St Botolph Aldgate, to pay for apprenticeships for boys and girls. The endowment (consisting of 3 Cannon Street and sums in consols) was later altered to pay for scholarships as well.

Turner's Free School for Poor Boys

Turner's Free School was established under the control of seven trustees, by the bequest of Richard Turner, citizen and haberdasher (will proved P.C.C. 1768). It took the place of the Norton Folgate Charity School, of which Turner had been Treasurer, which was situated in the old court house of the Liberty of Norton Folgate. The school moved to 4 Primrose Street in 1775. It aimed to educate the children of the poor of the area in reading, writing, accounting and church catechism.

Under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners sealed 28 June 1880, the funds of the charity were diverted to the further training of female pupil teachers at church training colleges, providing "Turner's Exhibitions" held over a two year period, preference being given to candidates from the parishes of St Mary, Spital Square, St Botolph Bishopsgate, Shoreditch, Spitalfields and Bethnal Green. In 1902 supervision of the charity was transferred to the Board of Education and various amendments were made

Under a new Charity Commissioners Scheme, sealed 16 August 1927, the exhibitions could be held at any places of education higher than elementary, not necessarily Church of England institutions. Since the Education Act of 1944 the funds of the charity have been allocated to training and further educating college students and secondary and grammar school pupils in financial need. For a more detailed account of the history of the charity see Ms 18608.

In 1442 John Carpenter, Town Clerk of London, bequeathed land to the Corporation of London intended to fund the maintenance and education of four boys born within the City, who would be called 'Carpenter's children'. Carpenter directed that that the boys should be schooled and clothed at the direction of the Chamberlain. The precise terms of the will were adhered to for about 2 centuries, after which time payments were made to friends of the children for them to provide the benefits. Prior to the foundation of the City of London School the Carpenter's Scholars were educated at Tonbridge School. Following an Act of Parliament of 1834 it was decided to charge the Carpenter Estates for the building and maintenance of a school, and the City of London School was opened in 1837. It was first built on the site of Honey Lane Market, Milk Street, Cheapside, but moved to Victoria Embankment in 1882. During the Second World War the school was temporarily moved to Marlborough. It moved again in 1986, when a new purpose-built building was opened in Queen Victoria Street, still within the City of London.

Cordwainer and Bread Street Ward Schools

The City of London was divided into wards for the purpose of government as early as Norman times. The wards had responsibility to keep the peace, supervise trade and oversee sanitation, and each ward has the right to elect an Alderman and Commoners to sit in the Court of Common Council, Corporation of London.

Cordwainer Ward lies between Vintry Ward south, Cheap Ward north, Bread Street Ward west and Cheap and Walbrook wards east. Bread Street Ward is bounded on the north by Cripplegate and Farringdon Within wards, on the south by Queenhithe, the west by Castle Baynard and the east by Cordwainer wards.

The ward school was established by subscription for boys in 1701 and for girls in 1714, it previously appears to have been the St Mary le Bow Charity School. In Rocque's map of 1746 the school is shown in Well Court, Bow Lane. A school- house was built in 1766 on a piece of ground leased from the Mercers' Company in Old Change. In 1822 this lease was surrendered and the school leased ground in Little Distaff Lane, where a new school-house and premises were erected. These premises were acquired by the City of London Corporation for street improvements in 1854 and the school moved to Shooters' Hill in Kent.

Various.

These items had been collected by the antiquary George Scott (1720-1780), and passed to his heirs. George Scott, a honorary doctor of law and a great collector of antiquities and manuscripts, was admitted as a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1748. He died in 1780, a widower, without children and a virtual recluse at Woolston Hall to which he had retired after his wife's death, and his estate passed to his cousin, although much of his collection was sold in 1782. These items clearly remained with the family. The 1891 sale was probably made by his cousin's heir, Louisa Watlington (d.1892), who had married Robert Peel Ethelstan. She inherited not only Moor Hall, but also Scott's Woolston Hall. Her son Capt Robert W Ethelstan sold Moor Hall itself in 1898.

Robert Hollingworth Browne was an antiquarian researcher who made transcripts of many registers for parishes in London and Essex.

St John at Hackney: The earliest building on the site dated to around 1275. From the fourteenth century onwards the church was dedicated to Saint Augustine, but was changed to Saint John after 1660. The present benefice, created in 1971, is called Hackney, the church remaining dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. By the late 1770s it was clear that from the growing population of the area that a new and larger church was necessary. The new church was consecrated on 15th July 1797 with a wooden box-like structure. The old church was demolished except for the tower, which was left intact to hold the bells. The church was subsequenly rebuilt in Portland stone and a tower added in 1814. It suffered severe damage in the Second World War, but was repaired and re-consecrated in 1958. The old 16th century tower still stands to the south.

Walter Chitty wrote Handbook for the Use of Visitors to Harrow-on-the-Hill, etc (1879); Historical Account of the Family of Long of Wiltshire (1889) and The Old Manor House, South Wraxall (1893).

Arthur John Jewers was an antiquarian with a particular interest in church records. His publications included Parish Registers and their preservation (1884). He died in 1921.

In 1897 the foundations of Saint Michael Bassishaw were severely damaged when the crypt was cleared of human remains; the church was demolished and the parish united to the parish of Saint Lawrence Jewry the same year.

William Barnes Passmore was Churchwarden of St. Michael Bassishaw.

Shaw , George , fl 1884

The International Health Exhibition was opened in London on May 8th 1884. It was held at the new exhibition centre in Kensington (on the site currently occupied by the Science Museum and Imperial College). The focus of the exhibition was hygiene and public health and exhibits were included on food, dress, dwellings, water supply, heating, lighting, ventilation, ambulances, schools, workshops and technical education.

The exhibition included a section on 'Old London' which included a replica of a pre-1666 London street. The Times newspaper described it as a "picturesquely built up row of houses representing a lane and street in old London" (Friday May 09 1884, pg 4).

Taylor , C E , fl 1939-1945

Taylor appears to have been an employee of Le Grand, Sutcliffe and Gell of Southall, civil engineers and well drillers. They also had offices in Bunhill Row, EC.

Laurance Marriott Wulcko was born in 1901 and died in 1977. He was a local historian and the author of A Forgotten Contemporary of Copernicus. Some notes concerning Mikolaj Wulkowski, Voivode of Pomerellia, and his family (1943) and Some Early Friendly Societies in Buckinghamshire (1951).

City of London Paving Commission

The City of London Paving Commission was founded under an Act of Parliament, (6 Geo III c. 26) the London Paving and Lighting Act 1766. The upkeep of street paving was later undertaken by the Commissioners of Sewers for the City of London.

The first recorded Mayor of London was Henry Fitz-Ailwyn in 1189. Since then, some 700 men and one woman have over the centuries held the position of chief officer of the City of London. The most famous of them all is Dick Whittington, who held office three times, in 1397, 1406 and 1419.

The Lord Mayor has throughout the centuries played a vital role in the life of the City of London and continues to do so today. In the City, the Lord Mayor ranks immediately after the sovereign and acts as the capital's host in Guildhall and Mansion House, his official residence. On behalf of the City and the nation he carries out numerous engagements at home and abroad.

The right of citizens to elect their own Mayor dates from the Charter granted by King John to the City in 1215. The election of Lord Mayor is held at the end of September each year in Guildhall. The assembly, known as Common Hall, consists of all liverymen of at least one year's standing together with certain high officers of the City. All aldermen who have served the office of sheriff and who have not already been Lord Mayor are eligible.

In the City of London each Sheriff was responsible for a Compter, a city prison for debtors and other civil prisoners. The Poultry Compter was the oldest of the three City compters. The prisoners here were mainly committed by the Lord Mayor. The compter was demolished in 1817. Wood Street Compter was a medieval foundation with room for 70 inmates. It was divided into three sections for the rich, the comfortable and the poor. The Wood Street Compter was amalgamated with the Giltspur Street Compter in 1791.