Showing 15888 results

Authority record
Various.

A large house was built in Whitton in 1607, standing west of Hounslow Road, opposite the present church. It was rebuilt in 1724-25 for its owner, the Earl of Ilay, later that Duke of Argyll. In 1726 Ilay recieved permission to inclose more heath around the house, and laid out a park with a lake and a Gothic tower. The house was known as Whitton Place. A later owner sold Whitton Place to Sir William Chambers and constructed another house, Whitton Park, further north. Both houses are now demolished.

From: 'Twickenham: Introduction', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 139-147 (available online).

Various.

There is no unifying factor to these papers (e.g. that they relate to property owned by one estate or family or the legal work of one office), they were simply collected for their antiquarian interest before being passed to the archive.

A demicastor was a hat made of inferior beaver fur, often mixed with other furs.

Various

Morven Park is a Victorian house situated in Potters Bar. It was purchased by the National Trust in 1930. It is now (2010) a care home for the elderly.

Various.

The hundred of Gore comprised the parishes of Edgware, Hendon, Kingsbury, Little Stanmore, Great Stanmore, Harrow and Pinner.

Various

In 1929 the London County Council tramways, the Underground railways and the London General Omnibus Company proposed to coordinate their services. It was not until 1933, however, that the London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB) was established by law. During the Second World War the government assumed control of the LPTB, and remained in charge until 1947. In that year the Transport Act set up the British Transport Commission, which appointed executive bodies to deal with transport throughout the country. One of these took over the whole of road and rail transport in London, while the LPTB became the London Transport Executive in 1948.

Between 1970 and 1984 the Greater London Council (GLC) was responsible for the overall policy and finances of London Transport, while the London Tranport Executive was responsible for the day-to-day management and operation of services. On the abolition of the GLC in 1984, London Regional Transport was formed as a statutory corporation responsible to the government. It set up a number of wholly owned subsidiaries, including London Underground Limited and London Buses Limited. In 1990 London Regional Transport became known again as London Transport for all but legal purposes.

The Metropolitan Railway Company was responsible for the construction of the world's first underground passenger railway. Work began on the line in 1860, running from Paddington to King's Cross and then on to Farringdon Street. The first trial journey was held in 1862, with the line opened to the public in January 1863. The railway proved popular and extensions were constructed, the first being to Hammersmith by 1864 and Moorgate by 1865. In 1905 an electric service was introduced. In 1933 the Metropolitan Railway was taken over by the London Passenger Transport Board.

Various

The following companies are represented in this collection:

A1 Bus Company;
Acme Pullman Services (Buses);
Alberta Omnibus;
Amersham And District Motor Bus And Haulage Company;
Associated Omnibus Company;
Atlas Omnibus Company;
C W Batten And Company Limited (Buses);
Bracklin And Vandy Limited (Buses);
Britannia Traction Company;
Brixton Motor Omnibus Company;
Bucks Expresses (Buses);
Cambrian Coaching And Goods Transport Limited;
Cambrian Landray Coaching Limited;
Celtic Omnibus Company;
Central Omnibus Company;
Chesham And District Bus Company;
Cosgrove Omnibus Company;
Criterion Omnibus Company;
Dangerfield Limited (Buses);
Direct Omnibus Company;
District Omnibus Company;
Dominion Omnibus Company;
East Ham Omnibus Company;
Empress Omnibus Company;
Fleet Omnibus Company;
Florence Omnibus Company;
Gearless Motor Omnibus Company;
Grafton Omnibus Company;
Grangewood Omnibus Company;
Green Line Coaches Limited;
Haywood And Nowell Limited (Buses);
Horseshoe Traction Company;
Invicta Traction Company (Buses);
Jockey Omnibus Company;
Lea Valley Omnibus Company;
Legion Omnibus Company;
London Road Car Company;
Lonsdale Omnibus Company;
Loveland Omnibus Company;
Mcmahon Omnibus Company;
Marathon Omnibus Company;
Mason Omnibus Company;
Metropolitan Steam Omnibus Company;
New Central Omnibus Company;
Northern Omnibus Company;
Nulli Secundus Omnibus Company;
Olympic Traction Company;
Omnibus Proprietors Limited;
Overground Limited (Buses);
Edward Paul Limited (Buses);
Pc Omnibus Company;
Priest Brothers Limited;
Primrose Omnibus Company;
Ra Motor Services;
Charles Randall Limited (Buses);
Reburn's Motor Services;
Shamrock Traction Company;
Skylark Motor Coach Company;
Silver Star Omnibus Company;
Superbus Limited;
T And W Omnibus Company;
Tottenham Hotspur Omnibus Company;
Tower Carriers Limited;
Unique Omnibus Company;
Victoria Road Car Company;
Vivid Omnibus Company;
W And P Omnibus Company;
Watford Omnibus Company;
Wellington Omnibus Company;
Western Omnibus Company;
White Star Omnibus Company;
London And South Coast Transport Limited;
National Omnibus And Transport Company.

Various.

These deeds and settlements were passed to the Society of Genealogists, who in turn deposited them with the archive. There is no unifying factor to the deeds (e.g. that they relate to property owned by one estate or family), they were simply collected for their antiquarian interest and their relevance to Middlesex local history.

Various.

William, 1st Earl of Mansfield, died on 20 March 1793 and was succeeded by his nephew David. The plan of the Kenwood estate may have been drawn up in connection with the 2nd Earl's succession.

Henry 3rd Viscount Clifden succeeded his grandfather in 1836 and on his own death in 1866 was succeeded by his son Henry George the 4th Viscount.

Various.

According to the Post Office London Directory Charles Douglas Singer was in 1859 secretary to the Medical Invalid and General Life Assurance Society. By 1880 he was described as a letter clip manufacturer. He lived in several of the North London suburbs, from c. 1859-67 in Upper Holloway, from c. 1869-82 in Stoke Newington and by 1889 he was living in his brother George's home at 53, The Common, Upper Clapton.

Catherine Sarah Courtenay of Porterlington, Queen's County, Ireland mortgaged property to Charles Douglas Singer in 1860. These papers concern the legal problems and the incumbrances on the estates in which she had an interest, either through her husband John Courtenay who died in 1841, or inherited from her father George Murphy.

The Harrison family papers relate to Edward Harrison who died in 1865, a stationer presumably of Matthews Harrison and Sons Ltd. of 82, Cornhill; his widow Elizabeth who lived at Tulse Hill and Blackheath before moving to Eastbourne and the younger Edward Harrison who lived in Enfield from 1891 until his death in 1902 or 1903. It seems possible that his wife Emma was the daughter of Charles Douglas Singer who was made a trustee and executor of his will in 1891. In her will she in turn appointed two members of the Singer family trustees and executors.

Various.

During the 18th and 19th centuries Parliamentary Acts were used to enclose (fence off) common lands and uninhabited waste lands and entitle them to an owner. Common land was that which had traditionally been used by locals (commoners) for communal pasture or farming.

Various.

These printed items were collected for their general or antiquarian interest, rather than having a united provenance (that is, being produced by the same institution or business).

Various.

No historical information has been found for Thomas Poynder.

Various

Parish officials were responsible for early forms of local government as well as administration of the church. In Edmonton, overseers of the poor were first mentioned in 1639. One overseer was appointed for each of the four wards. Parish vestry meetings had begun by 1739 and included a workhouse committee which comprised the trustees, the vicar, churchwardens, overseers and elected parishioners. The committee administered poor relief, providing money or goods to paupers. It appears that the poor were admitted to the workhouse as a last resort, while poor children were apprenticed.

Source of information: 'Edmonton: Local government', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 175-179 (available online).

Various.

Members of the Strange family lived at various address across London and Middlesex.

Charles Hart of Greenwich was a hotel keeper.

There is no obvious connection between the families.

Various.

William G. Venn was a butcher based in Beckenham, Kent.

William James Bonser lived in Newgate Street, City of London.

Various

Sir John Maynard, 1602-1690, was a Member of Parliament and lawyer. In 1645 he was granted the books and manuscripts of the late Lord Chief Justice Bankes. In 1698/9 he was made Lord Commissioner of the Great Seal with Sir William Rawlinson. He was buried at Ealing and his library of manuscripts is now at Lincolns Inn Library.

The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography notes: "having survived nearly all his family, Maynard left his property to his grandchildren in a will so tangled by the remainders he appointed that it required a private act of parliament and litigation to unravel" - the agreement in this collection arises from this action. Maynard's eldest daughter was married to Sir Duncumbe Colchester; his grand-daughters were married to Sir Henry Hobart and Thomas, Earl of Stafford.

Paul D. Halliday, 'Maynard, Sir John (1604-1690)', Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, Sept 2004.

Various.

Jonathan Crane lived at 3 Tulse Hill Terrace, Lambeth and died in 1860.

Various.

The Gascherie and Gashry families were related by the marriage of Suzanne Gascherie, daughter of Estienne and Suzanne Gascherie to Francois Gashry, a parfumier, at the church of St Mary Magdalen, Old Fish Street, London on 10 December 1696. Gashry appears to be an anglicised form of Gasherie, and it is possible that the two families are related but their connection is not apparent from the documents in this collection.

Francois and Suzanne Gashry had 12 children. The eldest, Susanne Gashry (Gascherie) returned to La Rochelle and died there in 1762 (see ACC/2079/A1). Her sister, Madeleine Gashry (Gascherie) brought the law suit to claim inheritance of lands in La Rochelle against more distant relatives, the Bonneau family (see ACC/2079/A1). Documents relating to the Gashry family were produced to prove Madeline's title to the lands, as a direct descendant of Estienne Gascherie through her mother Suzanne Gascherie, wife of Francois Gashry (see ACC/2079/A1) and to show that Gashry and Gascherie were variant spellings of the same name. As these documents refer principally to the Gascherie branch of the family they have been put with other documents relating to the legal case.

Francois and Suzanne Gashry's son Francis Gashry was a commissioner of the Navy in 1741 and Treasurer and Paymaster of His Majesty's Ordnance in 1751 (ACC/2079/B1/004). He married Martha ,whose will survives (ACC/2079/B1/007) and died in 1762 (ACC/2079/B1/002-003). A daughter, Margaret Gashry married Abraham Ogier in 1767 and her will also survives (ACC/2079/B2/001). Another daughter, Mary Martha married Henry Henrott, thus making the connection with the Hanrott family (see ACC/2079/C).

The Hanrott family is another Huguenot family. Jonas Hanrot came to England from Sedan. The Hanrott family name is a corruption of the original Henreau and is found in various forms including Henrott and Hanrot. Jonas Hanrot married Marie Anne Bocquet (Bauquer, Boque) in 1688 and their son Henry Hanrott married Marie Marthe Gascherie in 1724. They had two sons and a daughter. One of their sons, Francis Hanrott, (ACC/2079/C1/001) had seven children, including Francis Gashry Hanrott (ACC/2079/C2/001) and Philip Augustus Hanrott (ACC/2079/C3). Philip Augustus Hanrott was apprenticed as a solicitor's clerk to the firm of Dunn Lancaster and Dunn (see ACC/2079/D) and later formed his own firms, Hanrott and Metcalfe and Hanrott and Son (see ACC/2079/E,F). He married Caroline Cory and had several children including Henry Augustus Hanrott (ACC/2079/C5) with whom he had the solicitor's partnership, and Philip Augustus Hanrott Jnr. (ACC/2079/C6). Henry Augustus married his cousin Louisa Cory and had two sons, Howard Augustus, and Robert Cory (ACC/2079/C7) who married Julia Hanson and had several children, including Conrad Hanrott (ACC/2079/C8).

Philip Augustus Hanrott was articled to the firm of Dunn, Lancaster and Dunn in 1795 (ACC/2079/C3/001). The papers in this group relate to cases dealt with by Dunn, Lancaster and Dunn, and retained by P A Hanrott. The Penn papers (ACC/2079/D/003) include the Cremorne papers which do not appear to have a clear connection with the solicitor's firm, but which may have been kept with other Penn papers as the Penns were related to the Cremornes by marriage.

Philip Augustus Hanrott formed his own solicitors firm after leaving Dunn, Lancaster and Dunn. The first partnership was with a Mr Metcalfe and it broke up around 1837 (see ACC/2079/E6/005). The second partnership was with his son Henry Augustus Hanrott, and there seems also to have been a partnership with Charles Cory, Henry's brother-in-law. The last partnership was dissolved on Henry's death in 1852, although the settlement of accounts took until 1857 (see ACC/2079/E6/008).

The Archbishop of York held extensive estates in Battersea, Penge and Wandsworth partly derived from the Bridge Court Estate. Hanrott and Metcalfe acted as stewards for the Archbishop, collecting rents etc. In 1813 and 1837 the Archbishop of York applied for Acts of Parliament to allow him to sell off the Battersea and Wandsworth estates, to keep the revenue in trust for purchasing similar estates near the home estates of Bishopthorpe in Yorkshire (see ACC/2079/F1/008-012). Hanrott and Metcalfe were involved in valuing the land, calculating fines and arranging the sale of the estates to the tenants. The Archbishop also purchased a London house in 1809.

Various

The Anchor Brewery in Southwark was established in 1616 by James Monger and taken over later by James Monger junior. It was bought by James (or Josiah) Child by 1670; who was joined by his son-in-law Edmund Halsey in 1693. Halsey became sole proprietor on Child's death.

The brewery was bought in 1729 by Ralph Thrale, Halsey's nephew, and passed to his son Henry in 1758. It was sold on Henry Thrale's death in 1781 to David Barclay, Robert Barclay, Sylvanus Bevan and John Perkins. The name was later changed from "Thrale and Company" (later "H. Thrale and Company") to "Barclay Perkins and Company" on 1 Jan 1798.

The company was incorporated as "Barclay Perkins and Company Limited" in 1896. Barclay Perkins took over Style and Winch with the Dartford Brewery Company and the Royal Brewery Brentford in 1929. In 1951 the company began to establish the Blue Nile Brewery in Khartoum.

John Courage of Aberdeen bought a brewhouse in Southwark in 1787. After his death it was managed by his wife Harriet and then the senior clerk John Donaldson. It was known as Courage and Donaldson from about 1800 until 1851, when John Courage junior and his sons removed the Donaldsons from management. The company was incorporated as Courage and Company Limited in 1888. The Company was based at Anchor Terrace, Southwark Bridge Road, London SE1

Courage merged with Barclay Perkins and Company Limited in 1955, and ceased to trade in 1957. The name was changed to Courage, Barclay and Simonds in 1970.

Various

The documents in this collection relate to public houses owned by Courage Limited and various subsidiary or merged companies.

Various.

The property in Paddington was owned by Daniel Tidey, Westbourne Grove, Paddington, builder, in the 1850s. The premises then passed into the ownership of the Reverend T Blockley.

F P Morrell took over property in Spitalfields from Reverend L L Sharpe of Brixton. F P Morrell lived at Black-Hall, Oxford and was the coroner for the University.

Various.

The letters formed lot 235 in Sotheby's sale on 25 March 1974 and were bought by Mr Godfrey Groves, a keen collector of topographical material relating to North London. It is possible that at one time they formed part of the Gardner Collection of London topography, broken up in 1923.

Various

A calendar of prisoners is a list of persons awaiting trial, often including a physical description, age and place of birth. The calendar may also provide information about the nature of the crime and the charges, list the names of the aggrieved persons, witnesses and the Justices who heard the case. Sometimes the outcome of the trial is also given. The Calendars were compiled by officers at the prison and submitted to the Clerk of the Peace.

Various.

The site of no.1 St Martin le Grand was purchased by Nomura International Plc from the General Post Office in 1986. It had been the main General Post Office building for the City of London. The site was previously owned by Christ's Hospital, which sold it in various lots to the General Post Office in the 19th century (the main site was sold in the late 1880s). The site included the Queen's Hotel (formerly known as the Bull and Mouth Inn), the former Angel Inn, and houses in Bull and Mouth Street and Magpie Court.

Various.

Phoenix Oil and Transport Company Limited was registered on 24 June 1920 to acquire various interests in Roumanian oil undertakings. In 1922 it acquired control of Roumanian Consolidated Oilfields Limited and in 1926 Phoenix Oil Products Ltd.

In 1926 Phoenix Oil and Transport also acquired Orion S.A.R. de Petrol, which owned oilfields in Roumania. Orion, although a Roumanian registered company, was a Dutch undertaking, formed in 1910. Unirea S.A.R. de Petrol, a wholly owned subsidiary of Phoenix Oil and Transport, was registered in Bucharest in 1920. Into it went the assets of several small English companies partially destroyed during the First World War.

Arbanash (Roumania) Oil Company Limited, incorporated in the United Kingdom in 1912, was the nominee through which Phoenix Oil and Transport held the whole of the issued capital of Unirea. In 1935 Unirea amalgamated with Orion and in 1938 with Roumanian Consolidated Oilfields Limited, so that by this date all of Phoenix Oil and Transport's Roumanian interests were consolidated in Unirea and its subsidiaries.

The company's assets were in enemy hands from 1941 until early in 1945, although the Roumanian subsidiaries continued operating, despite aerial bombardment which caused serious damage to refineries, tankage and loading stations. Production in Roumania declined sharply from about a million tons in 1936 to 396,000 tons in 1945. Unirea was taken into Roumanian state ownership in 1948.

Until 1946, a substantial interest in Phoenix Oil and Transport was held by General Mining and Finance Corporation Limited, which was represented on the board. Its interests were purchased in 1946 by Alpha Petrol Company of South Africa, and in 1948 the head office of Phoenix Oil and Transport moved to South Africa. On 27 February 1950 the company went into compulsory liquidation.

Phoenix Oil and Transport Company Limited had registered offices at 308 Winchester House, Old Broad Street, until 1923, then 6 Princes Street (1923-1926), 9-13 Fenchurch Buildings, Fenchurch Street (1926-49) and 33 King William Street from 1949.

Various.

The Port of London Authority was established in 1908 to take full control of the tidal river Thames and its docks.

The Authority was housed in a large stone office in Trinity Square, overlooking Tower Hill. The offices were built between 1912 and 1922 to designs by Edwin Cooper.

Various.

William Morris and Son, stock and share brokers, were situated at 80 Old Broad Street, 1875-1881; 121 Bishopsgate Street within, 1883-91; 80 Lombard Street, 1893-1895; at other addresses to 1924, and at 10 and 12 Copthall Avenue, 1924-1948.

Whiteheads and Coles were stock and share brokers of 39 Throgmorton Street.

Various.

The history below relates to Sun Insurance Office Limited only. For the histories of subsidiary companies and companies which merged with Sun Insurance please see their sub-fonds entries (CLC/B/192-02 to -37).

In 1708 Charles Povey founded the Exchange House Fire Office. In the next year, a Company of London Insurers was formed, consisting of 24 members. In 1710 Povey transferred his right in the Exchange House, also known as the Sun Fire Office, to the Company of London Insurers. The business of the Sun Fire Office was henceforth conducted in Causey's Coffee House near St Paul's Cathedral. In March 1711 it moved to a house in Sweeting's Rents. The Company was governed by two bodies: the General Court which was a meeting of all the managers, and the Committee of Management (consisting of 7 members) which met weekly.

A branch office, known as the Charing Cross office (or Westminster House), was opened in Craig's Court in 1726. The office was moved to 60 and 61 Charing Cross in 1866.

Business in Germany was established during the first half of the 19th century, and during the second half of the century the Sun Insurance Office began to operate in rest of Europe, the Near East, the Far East, the USA, Canada, South America, Australasia, China and Africa.

The Accident Department and the Marine Department were established in 1907 and 1921 respectively.

The name of the company was changed to the Sun Insurance Office in 1891. It became a public limited liability company in 1926. In 1959 it merged with Alliance to form Sun Alliance Insurance Limited, and in 1996 Sun Alliance merged with Royal Insurance to form the Royal and Sun Alliance Insurance Group.

The Sun Life Assurance Society was established in 1810 to take over the life insurance business of the Sun Fire Office. The membership of each company's board of managers was identical. Sun Life was based in Bank Buildings, then at Threadneedle Street, and later at Cheapside. The collection includes very few records of Sun Life Assurance Society.

The Sun Insurance Office archive includes records relating to the Sun Indemnity Company of New York. In 1822 the Sun Fire Office took over the Watertown Insurance Company and a US manager was appointed. By the end of 1886 the company was represented in 20 states. The following year the head office of the US branch was moved to New York. The Sun Insurance Office floated the Sun Indemnity Company of New York and the Patriotic Insurance Company of America in 1922. In 1929 the Sun Underwriters Insurance Company of New York was formed. In 1955 these companies were reorganized into two firms: the Sun branch, and the Sun Insurance Company of New York (incorporating Sun Indemnity, Patriotic, and Sun Underwriters).

The Sun Insurance Office had a number of UK subsidiary companies, including: Bath Sun Fire Office (from 1838, see CLC/B/192-06); Patriotic Assurance Company of Dublin (from 1906, see CLC/B/192-30); Alliance Assurance Company (from 1959, see CLC/B/192-02); London Assurance (from 1965, see CLC/B/192-26); and Planet Assurance Company (from 1968, see CLC/B/192-32).

The company was based at Causey's Coffee House in St Paul's Church Yard (1710-11), Sweeting's Rents (1711-27), Threadneedle Street (1727-63), Bank Buildings in Cornhill (1763-1843), and Threadneedle Street (1843-).

Various.

Standard Chartered Bank was formed in 1969 when the Standard Bank Limited merged with the Chartered Bank. This merger created the Standard Chartered Banking Group Limited; the group consisted of the Standard Bank and the Chartered Bank along with their principal subsidiaries and associated companies.

Immediately following the merger both banks continued to operate separately with each maintaining their own board of directors and a third board being created for the Standard Chartered Banking Group Limited. It was not until 1973 that the General Management of both banks were amalgamated and 1974 when the three boards of directors were all run by the same people. On 1 October 1975 the name of the company was changed to Standard Chartered Bank Limited. In 1983 all banking operations of both Standard Bank and Chartered Bank were brought together into one company, titled, Standard Chartered Bank. In 1985 the parent company was again renamed to Standard Chartered PLC.

Following the 1969 merger the bank retained City of London headquarter premises at 10 Clements Lane (former headquarters of Standard Bank Limited) and at 38 Bishopsgate (former headquarters of Chartered Bank). In 1990 new premises were opened in Aldermanbury Square for all London staff and in 20--, the headquarters were moved to 1 Basinghall Avenue, where the bank remains situated (as at 2014)

CHARTERED BANK OF INDIA AUSTRALIA AND CHINA

The Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China, known from 1956 as The Chartered Bank, was established by Royal Charter in 1853. It was an overseas exchange bank, based in and controlled from the City of London. It was established to take advantage of the end of the East India Company's monopoly in 1853.

STANDARD BANK OF SOUTH AFRICA

The Standard Bank of British South Africa Limited, known as the Standard Bank of South Africa Limted from 1881, was incorporated on the 18 October 1862 in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Initially operating within British controlled areas, the bank gradually expanded its network to include branches across South, East and Central Africa responding to the economic development and growth of the regions.

Both the Chartered and the Standard Banks acquired shares in and merged with many other banks.

Geographical ranges these covered are as follows:

African Banking Corporation: British South Africa, Nigeria and New York

Bank of British West Africa: Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Cameroon and Canary Islands

Bank of Nigeria: Nigeria and Ivory Coast

Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China: India, China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Siam [Thailand], Burma [Myanmar], Singapore, Malacca, Penang and the Malay States, the Philippines, Japan, Java, Sumatra, Ceylon [Sri Lanka], North Borneo, Brunei, Sarawak, Pakistan and East Pakistan. There were also branches in New York (United States of America) and Hamburg (Germany). Despite its name, the bank never operated in Australia

Eastern Bank Limited: India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, Singapore, Malaysia, Yemen, Qatar, Iraq, Bahrain, Lebanon, Sharjah, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Oman

P & O Banking Corporation Limited: India, Sri Lanka, China and Singapore

E D Sassoon Banking Company Limited: London, India and China, Gulf ports, Iraq and Japan

Standard Bank of South Africa: Cape Province, Natal, Orange Free State, Transvaal [South Africa]. After amalgamations; Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Cameroon, Canary Islands and Ivory Coast

Wallace Brothers and Company (Holdings) Limited: India, Burmah [Myanmar], Thailand, Java [Indonesia], Malaysia and East Africa

Various.

Of the five companies, three are subsidiaries of the depositing company. City and West End Properties Limited, property company, was established in 1897 and based at 101 Leadenhall Street. In 1907 it moved to Bush Lane House where it remained until it was acquired by Trafalgar House Development Limited in 1964.

Corbett and Newson Limited, property company, was acquired by Trafalgar House Development Limited in 1966.

Woodgate Investment Trust Limited, property company, was incorporated in 1932 and shared offices with Corbett and Newson Limited at 17 Gracechurch Street (to 1933) and 34 Great St Helen's (1934-66). It too was acquired by Trafalgar House Development Limited in 1966.

Two of the five companies have no connection with the depositing company. Metropolitan Properties Company Limited and Consolidated London Properties Limited (which was acquired by Capital and Counties Properties Limited in 1964). The inclusion of these two companies derives from their previous association with City and West End Properties Limited, with which they shared both offices and directors before 1964: in some cases their records are intermingled.

Various.

William Hurt was a merchant of Bishopsgate and official of the East India Company, while his nephew Thomas Rogers was a factor for the Company. Although Hurt and Rogers were both employed by the East India Company, and Rogers' letters contain much about the Company's business, they appear to be private correspondence.

Various.

The City of London was divided into wards for the purpose of government as early as Norman times. The wards had responsibility to keep the peace, supervise trade and oversee sanitation, and each ward has the right to elect an Alderman and Commoners to sit in the Court of Common Council.

Various

Cecil Roth (1899-1970), Jewish historian, compiled a report and catalogue on the archives of the United Synagogue and its predecessor synagogues in 1930. A copy of the catalogue is available within this collection (reference ACC/2712/13/01/50).

Various.

Stephen Knott of Exmouth served in the Merchant Navy and the Royal Naval Reserves. The Knott and Legg families were connected by the marriage of Emma Knott and John Legg. The family lived in Holloway.

Various.

These papers relating to Heston and Isleworth were collected for their general or antiquarian interest and relevance to the subject, rather than having a united provenance (that is, being produced by the same institution or business).

Various.

Sir William Clay, first baronet, was born in 1791. His father George Clay was a shipowner and merchant. William entered the family business. He also served as MP for Tower Hamlets between 1832 and 1857; was Secretary to the Board of Control, and was magistrate for Middlesex and Westminster. In 1822 he married the daughter of Mr Thomas Dickason of Twickenham, and had 6 daughters and 3 sons. He died at Cadogan Place in 1869, aged 77.

Information from The Times, Wednesday, Mar 17, 1869; pg. 12; Issue 26387; col A

Various

The horticultural societies and shows represented in this collection took place in a variety of locations, mostly in the former Middlesex, including Hanwell, Watford, Southgate, Northolt, Hampstead, Friern Barnet, Hounslow, Enfield, Ealing, Edmonton, Haringey, Muswell Hill and Bush Hill.

Various.

Nathan Adler was born in 1803 in Hanover, Germany and was the grand-nephew of Chief Rabbi David Tewele Schiff. He was educated at the universities of Gottingen, Erlangen, Wurzburg and Heidelberg and was ordained in 1828. In 1829 he was elected Senior Rabbi of the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg and in 1830 appointed to the office in Hanover in his father's stead. In 1844 Nathan Adler succeeded Chief Rabbi Soloman Hirschell and was installed on the 9th of July 1845.

Nathan Adler worked to establish uniformity of religious practices. In 1847 he issued a code of Laws and Regulations which underlined the supremacy of the Chief Rabbi. He visited provincial congregations and took an active interest in settling or preventing communal disputes. In 1855 he founded Jews College in Finsbury Square, London. It was opened as a school and college, but the attraction of good schools outside the Jewish community and the movement of Jews from the area of the City led to the school being closed in 1879.

Many changes to the composition and administrative framework of Anglo-Jewry took place during this Chief Rabbinate. Important Jewish institutions such as the Jewish Board of Guardians and the Anglo-Jewish Association were founded. In the 1860s Adler encouraged proposals for the union of Ashkenazi congregations under one management and the United Synagogue was created by Act of Parliament in 1870. It was also a period when some Jews examined their approach to their faith; some broke away from traditional observance to worship at the newly formed West London Synagogue, the first Reform congregation in Britain. The number of Jews in the country grew, especially from 1881 with the arrival of thousands of refugees fleeing from pogroms in Russia and Eastern Europe. In 1850 the Jewish population in Britain as around 35,000; in 1914 it stood at 300,000.

In the last decade of his life Nathan Adler had poor health and retired to Brighton. His son Hermann Adler acted for him as Delegate Chief Rabbi until his death on 21st January 1890.

Various.

It appears that William Hunt lost the Assizes case and was fined. The matter then went to the Court of Queen's Bench. The Court of King's Bench (or Queen's Bench, depending on the monarch) was founded circa 1200 to hear common pleas, although it came to specialise in pleas of special interest and concern to the king, such as those which involved his own property interests, or breach of his peace, or an error of judgment by another royal court. By 1675 the King's Bench was the highest court of common law in England and Wales, with jurisdiction over both civil and criminal actions. Civil business was conducted on the 'Plea Side' and criminal business on the 'Crown Side'. It was absorbed into the High Court in 1875 (source of information: The National Archives Research Guides Legal Records Information 34 and Legal Records Information 36).

Various.

The general election of 1906 was held from 12 January to 8 February 1906. It was won in a landslide victory by the Liberal Party under Henry Campbell-Bannerman.

The 1907 London County Council elections were won by the Municipal Reform Party, who were allied with the Conservative party.

Various.

William Willett was the founder of the Artistic Building Firm, a building and contracting business. He was born in Colchester in 1836. The business operated mainly in Hammersmith and Kensington, with their main office situated in Sloane Square. Willett retired in 1900 leaving the business to his son, William Willett junior. The Times newspaper noted that "the term "Willett-built" is a current expression in particulars of sale and it applies, broadly speaking, to a type of residence which is distinguished by individuality of design, both inside and out." Willett died in Hove in November 1913.

William Willett junior died in Chislehurst in March 1915, aged 58. As well as running the family business, he was also responsible for the daylight savings scheme where the clocks are moved forward in Spring and back in Autumn.

Information from The Times obituaries: Wednesday, Nov 12, 1913; pg. 11; Issue 40367; col D and Friday, Mar 05, 1915; pg. 10; Issue 40794; col E.

Various.

As of 2011, 73 High Street, Teddington, was operating as a clothes shop.

Various.

The Benedictine monastery of Saint Peter in Westminster is better known as Westminster Abbey. The exact date of foundation is unclear. The monastery was situated on Thorney Island in the Thames, a suitable place because of the fresh water and food resources of the river. When Edward the Confessor became king in 1042 he had vowed to make a pilgrimage to the tomb of Saint Peter in Rome, but as this would have been impractical the Pope released him from this vow on condition that he build or restore a monastery to the saint. He therefore moved his palace to Westminster and began work on a new monastery and church. The new building was completed in December 1065 and consecrated just 8 days before Edward died. William I (the Conqueror) was the first monarch to be crowned in the Abbey, and to date all but two of his successors have been crowned there.

After Edward the Confessor was canonised in 1139 the importance of the Abbey increased and various kings gave gifts, endowments and privileges to the monastery. Henry III began a rebuilding project in 1245, determined to make a sumptuous building, influenced by recent French architectural styles. Saint Edward was given a special shrine in a chapel. The rebuilding was not completed until 1532. The monastery was dissolved in 1540 but because of its royal associations it was saved from destruction. It became the cathedral of the new diocese of Westminster and a Dean and Chapter were appointed.

The Abbey is full of monuments and tombs including those of several kings and queens; churchmen; statesmen and politicians; members of the armed forces, poets and writers; scientists; explorers; architects; educators and actors. The dead of the First World War are commemorated by the monument to the Unknown Warrior.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Various.

In 1293 Edmund, Earl of Lancaster and brother of King Edward I, constructed the Savoy Palace on land formerly belonging to the Count of Savoy. The palace was rebuilt at great expense by Henry, 1st Duke of Lancaster, between 1345 and 1370; after which it was said to be the finest house in England. In 1381 the palace was attacked during the Peasant's Revolt; the rioters started a bonfire of the Duke's possessions and mistakenly threw a box of gunpowder onto the flames, thus destroying much of the Great Hall.

In 1505 Henry VII ordered the palace to be rebuilt and used as a hospital for the poor. The hospital held 100 beds and included three chapels, a large precinct and outbuildings. It was dedicated to Saint John the Baptist and a statue of him was positioned over the Stand gate. In 1570 complaints were made that Thomas Thurland, Master of the Hospital, used hospital money to maintain his relatives, rarely went to church, had sexual relations with hospital staff, and owed the hospital £2,500. The hospital never recovered from this mismanagement.

Houses in the hospital precinct were fashionable addresses for noblemen and highly ranked clergy. However, by the later 17th century these houses were occupied by businessmen, while the hospital was used for wounded servicemen, and barracks and a military prison were constructed. Some of the chapels and halls were converted for use by non-conformist religious groups such as French Protestants, Lutherans, Quakers and Calvinists.

The hospital was formally dissolved in 1702. In 1772, with most of the buildings in ruins, a dispute over ownership of the land was settled: the Crown took possession of the central part of the precinct, while the Duchy of Lancaster took the outer part and the Savoy chapel. The site was cleared in 1816-20 for the Waterloo Bridge approach road, Savoy Street and Lancaster Place. In 1864-70 Victoria Embankment and Gardens were made. The only remaining part of the hospital is the Savoy Chapel. The site is now occupied by the Savoy Hotel, the Savoy Theatre, Victoria Embankment and Gardens, and part of Somerset House.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Various.

Sir John Buckworth was a leading merchant, trading with Turkey. The property referred to in this collection comprises four capital messuages variously known as Augustine Fryers, Winchester Place or House, St John House, the Excise House and the Glasshouse, and a number of adjacent messuages, all formerly part of, or on part of the site of, the dissolved Augustine Friary.

Various.

The documents in this collection all relate to associations but have not been assigned separate fonds due to their size or because the originator cannot be identified.

Various.

Tothill Fields was the name given to an open area between Westminster Abbey and Millbank. Tournaments were held there by kings living in the Palace of Westminster. Later the fields were used for cattle, growing food, horse racing, military parades, and bear baiting. A fair was held there every year. Duels were often fought here, and public punishments and executions held. The area was also used for burial pits during the plague. The fields were not developed until the 1830s.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Various.

William D'Oyley was a surveyor from Loughton, Essex. He was appointed as the first Superintendent of Epping Forest in 1876 (to oversee the forest lands which the City of London Corporation had begun to acquire in anticipation of the Epping Forest Act 1878). He was succeeded as Superintendent by Alexander McKenzie in 1878.

Various.

The church of Saint Sepulchre, Holborn Viaduct, was first mentioned in 1137. It was damaged in the Great Fire of 1666 and was rebuilt in 1670-71. However the tower and outer wall survived and date from around 1450. The church is now the National Musicians' Church. The church is also known as Saint Sepulchre without Newgate as it stood just outside the Newgate walls. The parish was partly within the City of London and partly within the former county of Middlesex.

Various.

These items had been collected by the antiquary George Scott (1720-1780), and passed to his heirs. George Scott, a honorary doctor of law and a great collector of antiquities and manuscripts, was admitted as a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1748. He died in 1780, a widower, without children and a virtual recluse at Woolston Hall to which he had retired after his wife's death, and his estate passed to his cousin, although much of his collection was sold in 1782. These items clearly remained with the family. The 1891 sale was probably made by his cousin's heir, Louisa Watlington (d.1892), who had married Robert Peel Ethelstan. She inherited not only Moor Hall, but also Scott's Woolston Hall. Her son Capt Robert W Ethelstan sold Moor Hall itself in 1898.