Showing 15888 results

Authority record
Various.

A most unusual form of Victorian country house guest book. Each guest has signed on arrival, but the book requires them to record their weight, and also indicate how they were dressed. Lord Bingham suceeded his father as Lord Lucan, and therefore the visitors are particularly high status. The final entries, dated February 1st 1910 are of Edward VII, Queen Alexandra, Princess Victoria Mary (soon to become Queen Mary) and the princesses Victoria and Mary. The Royal Family did not include thier weight entries! Other high status Victorians who do include notification of their weight include Hardinge of Penshurst, Prince Hermann of Saxeweimar, Prince Francis of Teck, the future Queen Mary, Earl Howe, Lord Dorchester, the Duke of Hamilton, George Duke of Cambridge, the Earl of Munster, the Duke of Richmond and Gordon.

Laleham House was the seat of the Earl of Lucan, situated to the south of the village of Laleham.

Various.

On July 7th 2005 a series of co-ordinated terrorist attacks hit London. Suicide bombers detonated devices on tube trains at Aldgate, Edgware Road, between Kings Cross and Russell Square and on the Number 30 bus at Tavistock Square. 52 people were killed, and hundreds more injured.

Various.

Stephen Warwick is mentioned in the documents as living at 1 Belle Vue Villas, Lefevre Road, Bow. He is described as a butler. He died in 1869 leaving his wife Louisa Warwick. There was a dispute between Louisa and shoemaker Thomas Eames of Elstree over Warwick's will.

Various.

These papers relating to properties in London were collected for their general or antiquarian interest rather than having a united provenance (that is, being produced by the same institution or business).

Various.

These papers relating to properties were collected for their general or antiquarian interest, rather than having a united provenance (that is, being produced by the same institution or business).

Various.

John Dence, a civil engineer, lived at 28 Mark Lane, in the City of London. Some of the records relate to a court case between Dence and Edward Clark, an architect and surveyor.

Various.

Caroline Elizabeth and Hannah Ann Le Neve, spinsters, of 14 Grove Hill Terrace, Grove Lane, Camberwell, were assigned to care for Augustus Adolphus Le Neve, sailor, said to be deranged.

Various.

Charles Shorter was a merchant living in the City of London in 1659, and in Southwark by 1691.

Various.

Curzon Street runs between Fitzmaurice Place and Park Lane in Mayfair. In around 1715 the land in this area was purchased by a Derbyshire baronet, Nathaniel Curzon. Building began in the 1720s although much of the north side remained open until the 19th century. It became a fashionable address, and was well known for the Mayfair Chapel where illicit marriage ceremonies were performed without banns or licence, until the 1754 Marriage Act stopped the practice.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Various.

These papers were collected for their general or antiquarian interest, rather than having a united provenance (that is, being produced by the same institution or business).

Various.

These papers were collected for their general or antiquarian interest rather than having a united provenance (that is, being produced by the same institution or business).

Various.

The church of Saint Paul in Covent Garden was constructed between 1631 and 1633 to designs by Inigo Jones. The church was given a parish in 1645. It has an association with the theatre since it is located close to the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane and the Royal Opera House. Several well-known actors are buried here, including Charles Macklin and Ellen Terry.

Various.

The church of Saint John the Evangelist, Kensal Green, was constructed in 1844. It was originally a detached portion of Chelsea parish, but a separate parish was assigned in 1845 taken from parts of the neighbouring parishes. A chancel was added in 1903.

Various.

Wakenaam is an island at the mouth of the Essequibo River of Guyana, South America.

Parties named in the conveyance are: 1. John Turnbull, John Forbes, Broad St., City, merchants and co-partners; 2. Thomas Hussey, late of Demerary, now Manchester St, Manchester Sq., St. Marylebone, esq; 3. John McArthur, York Pl., Portman Sq., St. Marylebone, esq; 4. John McKirdy, F. Schovers, Demerary, esqs; 5. Tully Higgins, J. H. Horkel, Island of Wakenaam, esqs.

Various

The ships represented in this collection are the:

  • 'Latona' No. 55362, registered 1874, 270 tons net, owner, J. Dickie, Glasgow; master, E.H. Tidmarsh, Liverpool; voyages, Liverpool to Chittagong, etc
    • 'Indus', No. 13884, registered 1863, 1319 tons net, owner, John Taylor, London; master, E.J. Hunt; voyages to Australia with emigrants
    • 'Buston Vale', No. 47765, 411 tons net; owner, F.G. Fry and Co., Liverpool; master G.H. Galloway.
    • 'Welsh Girl', No. 44939, registered 1866, 137 tons; owner, Stephen Morse, Watchet, Somerset; master, Alfred Nicholas, Watchet; coasting and to Antwerp.
    • 'Alfred and Mary', No. 10723, 45 tons; owner, Fleming Hewett, Gorleston, Suffolk Master, William Kittle, Gorleston; trawling in N.Sea, and later Master James Green, Gorleston.
    • 'Princess Royal', No. 17033, 42 tons; owner, John Parsons, Harwich; voyages, master, William Mixter, Harwich; voyages, Harwich-Rochester, London, Colchester Maldon, Ipswich.
Various.

The Princess was Frances, only child and heiress of Fleetwood Wilson of Wappenham Manor, Northants, who was married to Russian Prince Alexis Dolgorouki. Alfred de Rothschild was the second son of Baron Lionel de Rothschild, and was, at various times, a director of the Bank of England and a trustee of the National Gallery.

Various

The ships represented in this collection are:

  • 'Salacia', No. 9144, registered at London, 64 tons; master, B. Bacon; in lobster and fresh fish carrying trade between UK and Norway
  • 'Emperor', No 23244, registered at London, 30 May 1861, 199 tons; [owner], Messrs Lambert Bros. and Scott; master, James Chapman Smith; giving names of crew, for coasting trade from London to Shields or elsewhere
  • 'Anne Lee', No 17055, registered at London, 380 tons; master, Demo Constantine; for Jamaica.
Various.

Saint Mary's Nunnery of Augustinian canonesses, founded in 1140, was dissolved in 1539 and the church converted to the parish church of Clerkenwell, dedicated to St James. In the 1780s the building was declared ruinous and demolished. The present church was built 1788-92 by the architect James Carr, on the site of the choir of the mediaeval nunnery.

Pentonville was laid out as a planned development on land belonging to Henry Penton. The developers provided a church, constructed from 1787, but the parish of Clerkenwell refused responsibility for it. However, when the parish trustees required funds to rebuild St James's in 1788, they purchased the new church in return for a loan to their building fund. The Pentonville church thereafter operated as a chapel of ease to the parish church.

Bagnigge House was situated off King's Cross Road, Clerkenwell. Bagnigge Wells was established as a popular spa resort in 1758 when the owner of the House, Thomas Hughes, found that water from his well was a good purgative. He opened his gardens to the public, charging 3d to taste the waters, and adding entertainments, tea rooms, flower gardens, fish ponds and benches beside the Fleet River, which flowed through the garden. Concerts and entertainments were held in the pump rooms. The Wells were a fashionable retreat until the beginning of the 19th century; by 1810 they were the resort of 'lower class tradesmen' (Lysons). The Wells were closed in 1841 and the site was built over.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Various.

The church of Saint Philip was situated on Granville Square, Clerkenwell. It was designed by Edward Buckton Lamb between 1831 and 1833. After only 25 years the church had been undermined by the building of the Metropolitan Railway and had to be repaired, re-opening in 1860. The last marriage register was closed in 1936 on the union of the parish with the Church of the Holy Redeemer, Exmouth Market.

The church of Holy Trinity on Grays Inn Road was designed by Sir James Pennethorne and erected in 1837. It seated 1500 people. Restored in 1880, it reopened in 1881. It was closed during the 1914-1918 war but was in use again by 1921; before finally closing in 1928. Holy Trinity parish was created from the parish of Saint Andrew, Holborn in 1839. The parish and benefice were united with Saint George the Martyr, Queen Square in 1931. Holy Trinity church was closed with the intention of demolishing the church and selling the site.

St Mary's Church, Greenwich, was demolished in 1936.

Various.

These papers relating to properties were collected for their general or antiquarian interest rather than having a united provenance (that is, being produced by the same institution or business).

Various.

Cleopatra's Needle was made of pink granite at the time of Thothmes (Tuthmose) III, circa 1500 BC, with later inscriptions added by Ramesses II. It was later removed to Alexandria. It was brought to London in the container ship Cleopatra, towed by the steam ships Olga and Anglia, in 1877. It was erected on the Victoria Embankment between Hungerford Bridge and Waterloo Bridge by the engineer John Dixon in 1879, with two sphinxes added to the base.

Various.

Crystal Palace was constructed in 1851 in Hyde Park, to house the Great Exhibition. After the Exhbition it was dismantled and re-erected in Sydenham where it was used as an amusement park, holding exhbitions, concerts, theatrical productions, firework displays and sports events. It had a small zoo, fountains and a statue park. The Palace burned down in 1936 and was destroyed.

Various.

These papers relating to businesses were collected for their general or antiquarian interest rather than having a united provenance (that is, being produced by the same institution or business).

Various.

No biographical detail has been found for George Pepper.

Vauxhall Bridge was begun in 1811 to a design by Rennie, but two years later the Vauxhall Bridge Company decided to adopt James Walker's cast iron design as it was cheaper. The bridge was opened in 1816 and was at first called Regent's Bridge. It was the first iron bridge over the Thames. In 1895 to 1906 a new bridge was constructed designed by Sir Alexander Binnie.

Various.

These papers relating to property ownership were collected for their general or antiquarian interest rather than having a united provenance (that is, being produced by the same institution or business).

Various.

This collection of photographs had its origins in the Greater London Council (GLC) Architect's Department.

Various.

The Department of Education and Science was created in 1964. These plans were created by the Department and its predecessors in the course of their work.

Henry Vane was born about 1705. He was Member of Parliament for Launceston 1726-1727, St. Mawes 1727-1741, Ripon 1741-1747 and for County Durham 1747-1753. Vane was Vice Treasurer and Paymaster General from 1742-1744, a Lord of the Treasury 1749-1755 and Lord Lieutenant of County Durham 1753-1758. He succeeded his father in the Peerage as 3rd Baron Barnard on 27 April 1753. He was created Viscount Barnard of Barnards Castle and Earl of Darlington 3 April 1754. Vane died on 6 March 1758.

Born, 1869; educated, Farnborough School, 1879-1882 and Sandhurst, 1882-1889; Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, 1893-1901; Scots Guards, 1899; served in Somaliland and Abyssinia, 1894; Foreign Office, Uganda, 1894-1895; took part in Ungoro, Nile and Nandi expeditions where he undertook surveying; awarded the Murchison Grant, 1897; served in West Africa, 1896-1897; Egypt, 1897-1899; Deputy Assistant Adjutant General, South Africa, [1900]-1901; died, 1901.

Publications: Campaigning on the Upper Nile and Niger (1898)

Born 1914; educated at Aysgarth School, Winchester College and Royal Military Academy Sandhurst; commissioned into Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, Aug 1934; served in France, 1939-1940; participated in Operation DYNAMO, the evacuation of the BEF (British Expeditionary Force) from Dunkirk, May-June 1940; attended Staff College, Camberley, 1941; served as Brigade Maj with 126 Infantry Bde and 11 Armoured (Tank) Bde, UK, 1941-1943; Lt Col, 1943; 10 Armoured Div, Middle East, 1943-1944; 12 Royal Tank Regt, Italy, 1944-1945; 1 Div, Palestine, 1945-1946; School of Land/Air Operations, Old Sarum, 1947; War Office, 1948; Staff College, Camberley, 1949-1950; served with 11 Armoured Div in Germany, 1950-1953; Military Assistant to Chief of the Imperial General Staff, 1953-1956; Officer commanding 4/7 Royal Dragoon Guards, 1956-1957; retired 1957; worked for WH Smith, 1957-1977; Managing Director of WH Smith, 1968; died 2002.

Van Ommeren (London) Limited

Phs. van Ommeren N.V., Rotterdam, was founded in 1839 by Philippus van Ommeren, primarily to act as shipbroker and agent to the then Rotterdam/London Line. Other agencies followed. The firm expanded into other trades and developed a variety of services. Gradually related companies were established in other cities and the London company began operations in January 1914. The outbreak of the First World War caused the cancellation of the early contracts, but in 1915 the company was appointed general agent in the United Kingdom for the Holland-America Line. During the Second World War the Netherlands Shipping and Trading Committee took control of the Dutch merchant ships on behalf of the government in exile and these were placed on time charter to the British government. With the end of the war, the company resumed its Dutch connections and agencies; they also became agents for other companies in many parts of the world.

During the Second World War the Wellcome Foundation laboratories at Frant, East Sussex, were engaged in work for the Ministry of Supply, producing scrub typhus vaccine for the armed forces. The project was given the wartime codename of 'Tyburn' after Tyburn Farm, the farm at the Wellcome Veterinary Research Station there. The project was organised by the bacteriologist Marinus van den Ende (1912-1957), serving with the RAMC: his obituary in the Lancet states that "his greatest achievement in England was the organisation of the laboratory at Frant for the large-scale production of scrub typhus vaccine, exacting and dangerous work which he carried out with great speed and precision"

In 1947 the London and Provincial Wine Company Limited of Aylesbury changed their name to Valentine Charles Limited and moved their registered offices to Bilbao House, New Broad Street, EC2. Two of the original shareholders were Charles Henry Jarvis and Valentine Harry Jarvis. The company owned several wine shops in south England. Company number: 292900.

J William Valantines of Doncaster. Unknown.

Henry Cline: born, London, 1750; educated, Merchant Taylors' School; apprenticed to Mr Thomas Smith, surgeon to St Thomas's Hospital, 1767; diploma from Surgeons' Hall, 1774; Lecturer on anatomy, St Thomas's Hospital, 1781-1811; Surgeon, St Thomas's Hospital, 1784-1811; examiner at the College of Surgeons, 1810; master of the College of Surgeons, 1815, president, 1823; delivered the Hunterian oration, 1816, 1824; died, 1827. Publications: On the Form of Animals (Bulmer and Co, London, 1805).

Wilfrid Bernard Vaillant was born at Meadowleigh, Weybridge, on 23 September 1864, son of Major Albert Vaillant. He was educated at Clewer Hill School from 1874-78, and then Radley College from 1878-83, where he won several sports prizes. He entered Christ Church College, Oxford, in 1883 and graduated BA in 1890 and MA in 1891.

Between 1885-90 he worked at the recently established Oxford House, Bethnal Green, East London. Oxford House was built to be a home to graduates, tutors and those intending to enter the church so that they might learn at first hand the problems of the city poor, through social, educational and religious work with them.

Vaillant attended Ely Theological College between 1890 and 1891. He was ordained Deacon on 20 September 1891 in Ely Cathedral, and Priest in St Paul's Cathedral on 18 February 1894. He became Curate at the Christ Church Oxford Mission, St Frideswide's, East London.

Born 1852; published Les Surprises du Coeur in 1881; wrote an article in 1894: "The End of Books", which predicted that books would eventually become overtaken by other media. He founded the magazine The Book.

Poor relief was based on the Act for the Relief of the Poor of 1601 which obliged parishes to take care of the aged and needy in their area. Parish overseers were empowered to collect a local income tax known as the poor-rate which would be put towards the relief of the poor. This evolved into the rating system, where the amount of poor-rate charged was based on the value of a person's property. Early workhouses were constructed and managed by the parish. However, this process was expensive and various schemes were devised where groups of parishes could act together and pool their resources. As early as 1647 towns were setting up 'Corporations' of parishes. An Act of 1782, promoted by Thomas Gilbert, allowed adjacent parishes to combine into Unions and provide workhouses. These were known as 'Gilbert's Unions' and were managed by a board of Guardians.

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, the Poor Law Commission was given the power to unite parishes in England and Wales into Poor Law Unions. Each Union was to be administered by a local Board of Guardians. Relief was to be provided through the provision of a workhouse. An amendment to the 1834 Act allowed already existing 'Gilbert's Unions' or Corporations of parishes to remain in existence, although they were encouraged to convert themselves into Poor Law Unions. Although there was some reorganisation of union boundaries, particularly in London, the majority of Unions created under the 1834 Act remained in operation until 1930. In March 1930 a new Local Government Bill abolished the Poor Law Unions and the Board of Guardians. Responsibility for their institutions passed to Public Assistance Committees managed by the county councils - in the metropolis either the London County Council or the Middlesex County Council.

Fostering - that is the arrangement whereby one person pays another for the care of a child - has always existed in one form or another. It had its abuses, the grossest of which was baby farming, the scandal of which necessitated legislation in the form of the Infant Life Protection Act 1872 which made it compulsory for persons taking for hire two or more infants less than a year old to register with the local authorities, who were the Councils in the care of the boroughs and the Justices in the case of counties. Child life protection as a whole was transferred to the Poor Law authorities, whose duties comprised the receiving of notice where a person undertook for reward the nursing and maintenance of an infant under the age of 7; the appointment of visitors to inspect such children; the limitation of the number in a dwelling; the removal of such infants improperly kept; and the receiving of fines imposed from offences.

Uxbridge Poor Law Union was founded in June 1836, comprised of the following parishes: Cowley, West Drayton, Harefield, Hayes, Hillingdon, Ickenham, Northolt, Norwood, Ruislip and Uxbridge. Yiewsley parish was added in 1896. The Union bought the existing Hillingdon parish workhouse site, together with a further four acres of land, and constructed a new workhouse on the site.

Source of information: Peter Higginbotham at The Workhouse website.

An Act of 1792 established seven 'Public Offices' (later Police offices and Police courts) in the central Metropolitan area. The aim was to establish fixed locations where 'fit and able magistrates' would attend at fixed times to deal with an increasing number of criminal offences.

Offices were opened in St Margaret Westminster, St James Westminster, Clerkenwell, Shoreditch, Whitechapel, Shadwell and Southwark. An office in Bow Street, Covent Garden, originally the home of the local magistrate, had been operating for almost 50 years and was largely the model for the new offices.

In 1800 the Marine Police Office or Thames Police Office, opened by 'private enterprise' in 1798, was incorporated into the statutory system. In 1821 an office was opened in Marylebone, apparently replacing the one in Shadwell.

Each office was assigned three Justices of the Peace. They were to receive a salary of £400 per annum. These were the first stipendiary magistrates. Later they were expected to be highly qualified in the law, indeed, to be experienced barristers. This distinguished them from the local lay justices who after the setting up of Police Offices were largely confined, in the Metropolitan area, to the licensing of innkeepers. In addition each office could appoint up to six constables to be attached to it.

The commonly used term of 'Police Court' was found to be misleading. The word 'police' gave the impression that the Metropolitan Police controlled and administered the courts. This was never the case, the word 'police' was being used in its original meaning of 'pertaining to civil administration', 'regulating', etc.

In April 1965 (following the Administration of Justice Act 1964) the London Police Courts with their stipendiary magistrates were integrated with the lay magistrates to form the modern Inner London Magistrates' Courts.

The police courts dealt with a wide range of business coming under the general heading of 'summary jurisdiction', i.e. trial without a jury. The cases heard were largely criminal and of the less serious kind. Over the years statutes created many offences that the courts could deal with in addition to Common Law offences. Examples include: drunk and disorderly conduct, assault, theft, begging, possessing stolen goods, cruelty to animals, desertion from the armed forces, betting, soliciting, loitering with intent, obstructing highways, and motoring offences. Non-criminal matters included small debts concerning income tax and local rates, landlord and tenant matters, matrimonial problems and bastardy.

Offences beyond the powers of the Court would normally be passed to the Sessions of the Peace or Gaol Delivery Sessions in the Old Bailey (from 1835 called the Central Criminal Court). From the late 19th century such cases would be the subject of preliminary hearings or committal proceedings in the magistrates' courts.

Outside the London Police Court Area but within the administrative county of Middlesex lay justices continued to deal with both criminal offences and administrative matters such as the licensing of innkeepers.

The exact area covered by a Court at any particular time can be found in the Kelly's Post Office London Directories, available on microfilm at LMA. The entries are based on the original Orders-in-Council establishing police court districts. A map showing police court districts is kept in the Information Area of LMA with other reference maps. Please ask a member of staff for assistance.

In 1939 J R Thonger was asked to arrange a concert in aid of the Uxbridge and District Supply Depot of the British Red Cross. He approached choirmasters and organists of local churches, and gathered support from six of the churches. Although there was not a large audience for this concert, the singers were all very enthusiastic and met again the following January to prepare for an Easter concert. The first general meeting of the Uxbridge and District United Choirs was held in April 1940 and from that point concerts were held frequently, always in aid of charity.

In 1946 the society's name was changed to the Uxbridge and District Choral Society and again in 1978 to the Uxbridge Choral Society.

The Strategic Bombing Survey was established in the US War Department as a civilian activity, 3 Nov 1944, pursuant to Presidential directive, 9 Sep 1944. During its existence it studied the effects of Allied aerial attacks on Germany and German-occupied Europe (European Survey) and on Japan (Pacific Survey), to establish a basis for evaluating the importance and potential of air power as an instrument of military strategy and for planning the future development of the armed forces. It was abolished in 8 Oct 1947, with discontinuance of operations.

US State Department

Through its embassies, missions, consulates, and foreign service personnel, the US State Department was entrusted by the US Government to gather and disseminate information about the political, economic, and social stability of nations. From 1950 to 1957, the US State Department relayed telegrams and reports about Korea back to the United States Executive Branch for action. Following World War Two, US State Department missions in Southeast Asia had forewarned the US Presidency of political instability with the removal of Japanese occupation forces. In 1950, foreign service personnel began to send urgent messages regarding the movement of scattered communist guerrilla forces southward. During the Korean War, 1950 to 1953, the US State Department maintained a steady flow of messages to President Harry S Truman concerning civil, political, and military actions in Korea and, following the armistice in 1953, continued to inform the Executive Branch of Korean economic and social stability programmes.

US State Department

The Office of Strategic Services (OSS) was the approximate US counterpart of the British Secret Intelligence Service, MI6, and Special Operations Executive (SOE), with which it co-operated throughout World War Two and its immediate aftermath. The OSS was created by Presidential Military Order on 13 Jun 1942 and it functioned as the principal US intelligence organisation in all operational theatres during the war. Its primary function was to obtain information about enemy nations and to sabotage their war potential and morale. The OSS was terminated by Executive Order 9620 on 20 Sep 1945, its functions later assumed by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and, more principally, the US State Department. One of the US State Department's primary functions immediately following World War Two was to provide the US President and the US Joint Chiefs of Staff with intelligence relating to the civil structure of foreign states and the impact of communism on post-colonial countries. In the Far East, the State Department provided the US Executive Branch with key intelligence concerning the economic and civil stability of nations weakened by Japanese occupation during World War Two and subsequently engaged in civil economic, political, and social crises. This enabled US policy planners to formulate long-term strategic goals in the Far East. During the war, the US State Department relied on OSS intelligence to prepare summary research reports concerning the social structure, strategic interests, resources, government, and economic stability of countries in the Far East. After the war, US embassies, State Department field offices, and US foreign service personnel provided the White House with the majority of strategic intelligence relating to the civil structure of nations in the Far East.

US National Security Council

The National Security Act of 1947 and the Reorganization Plan of 1949 defined the composition and function of the National Security Council (NSC). Chaired by the President of the United States, the NSC consists of statutory members (the Vice President and the Secretaries of State and Defense), statutory advisers (the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency), the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs, and professional staff members who are on temporary assignment from the armed forces, the Central Intelligence Agency, elsewhere in the government, or who have been recruited from universities and think tanks. The statutory function of the NSC is to advise the President with respect to the integration of domestic, foreign, and military policies relating to national security. Since 1947 the NSC has evolved as a key foreign policy making arm of the president. Minutes of the Meetings of the National Security Council: First Supplement contains three separate types of materials: minutes of meetings, document associated with such meetings, and summaries and discussions held during the meetings. This collection relates to a period during the administrations of Presidents Harry S Truman and Dwight David Eisenhower (1947-1956), during which the National Security Council (NSC) met on a regular weekly basis. The NSC met more frequently during times of foreign crisis, less frequently when the president was travelling or pre- occupied with domestic issues. During the administrations of Harry S Truman and Dwight David Eisenhower, the NSC produced a series of formal policy papers whose purpose it was to analyse current and potential national security issues and make policy recommendations to deal with those issues. These policy papers were prepared by the NSC staff and occasionally by members of the NSC in response to requests by the NSC to study specific issues. When completed, these policy papers (NSCPP) were distributed to the NSC for study and comment. If the NSC decided to alter a policy paper, a revised draft would be produced. Once approved, the paper became the official (and usually secret) policy of the United States government. In contrast to Truman and Eisenhower, Presidents John Fitzgerald Kennedy and Lyndon Baines Johnson held few NSC meetings, relying less on the formally structured NSC and more on ad hoc committees to discuss national security policy.

From 1918 to 1941, the US military attaché, US Military Intelligence Division (MID), Japan, produced reports relating to Japanese military, political, social, and economic development. During this period the Japanese Empire consisted of the home islands, the former Kingdom of Korea, which was annexed in 1908, portions of Siberia, the former German Pacific island possessions seized by Japan following World War One, the dependent Kingdom of Manchukuo (Manchuria), and the occupied territories of northern China seized after 1931. The major function of the MID was the collection of military information about foreign nations. Military attachés and observers assigned to foreign countries were the principal means by which the MID collected such information. The main duties of the military attaché were to observe and report on the training, organisation, equipment, doctrine, and operations of foreign armed forces. Although the US first dispatched military attaches to foreign countries in 1889, it did not accredit an attaché to Japan until the outbreak of the Sino-Japanese War in 1894. Two years later a second military attaché was sent out, but the Spanish-American War cut short his tenure. A permanent military attaché was finally assigned in 1901 when the US and Japan were co-operating closely in the suppression of the Boxer Rebellion in China. For the subsequent forty years, until the Japanese attack on the US naval base at Pearl Harbor, a US military attaché was assigned to Japan. During the period 1918-1941, the military attaché's office in Tokyo usually had two assistants and a number of 'language officers'. The latter were assigned specifically to learn Japanese whilst attached to Japanese Imperial Army regiments as observers. While the military attaché advised the US Ambassador to Japan on military matters, acted as a liaison between US Army and the Japanese Imperial Army Headquarters, and gathered and disseminated intelligence, the 'language officers' translated training and technical manuals and reported on conditions in Japanese military units.

Terrorism: Special Studies, 1975-1991 is a collection of studies commissioned by the US government concerning international terrorism, 1975-1991. The US government contracted American universities, colleges, corporations, non-partisan policy centres, and individuals to provide data and analyses relating to terrorist threats to US foreign policy. University Publications of America then compiled the existing texts, which were available in US armed forces reports, US defence policy journals, non-partisan policy journals, academic journals, and academic symposia and conference proceedings, 1974-1991.

In Apr 1968 political and military representatives from the United States, South Vietnam and North Vietnam began negotiations in Paris, France, to end the Vietnam War. Two months later, the talks were stalled over the inclusion of representatives from the Vietnamese National Liberation Front (Viet Cong), considered by the US an illegitimate political entity. In 1969, US Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs (later US Secretary of State), Dr Henry Alfred Kissinger, once again began conversations with North Vietnamese officials. Backed by intensive US bombing of North Vietnam, and particularly its capital city Hanoi, Kissinger eventually persuaded North Vietnamese officials to negotiate the terms of a cease-fire. Throughout the lengthy negotiations, representatives from all sides sought what they considered an precipitous escape from the war. Finally, in 1972 Deputy Assistant to the President, Gen Alexander Meigs Haig Jr, met with South Vietnamese president Nguyen Van Thieu to discuss the final terms of 'Vietnamization', the process by which the American military presence in South Vietnam would be replaced with troops from the Republic of Vietnam. Also, the Viet Cong military adviser, Le Duc Tho, completed talks with Kissinger relating to the terms of a general cease-fire. On 27 Jan 1973, five years after the commencement of negotiations, a permanent cease-fire was signed between representatives from North Vietnam, the Viet Cong, South Vietnam, and the United States. Transcripts and Files of the Paris Peace Talks on Vietnam, 1968-1973 are the official transcripts of the Paris Peace Talks between political and military officials from the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, the Viet Cong and the United States, 31 Mar 1968-26 Feb 1973.