The memorial service was held for the airmen of two Zeppelins which were shot down in the Potters Bar area in 1916 - one on 2 September near Cuffley and one on 1 October which came down in Oakmere Park. The latter Zeppelin contained renowned German airship commander Lieutenant Heinrich Mathy. The crews were buried in the local cemetery but were removed to the Cannock Chase German War Grave Cemetery in 1962 by the German War Graves Commission.
The authors of the report are not named but are referred to as 'the Committee'. It is possible they were a local authority investigative committee conducting research for post-war development planning, as they include a list of recommendations and improvements as to how stations could be constructed in a more effective manner.
The 'Adina' (No. 41651), was registered in 1861 at London. Its owner and master was J. Leutz of Cardiff.
The 'Fontabelle' (No. 3908), was registered in 1855 at London. Its owner was C.C. Dawson, and its master was E. Nixon.
The 'Shalimar', (No. 24057), was registered in 1869 at London. It was 1557 tons, and was owned by John Grigor of Yokohama. Its master was F. Walker.
The 'S.S. Newburn' (No. 29761), was registered in 1861 at London. It was 449.82 tons; and was owned by J. Fenwick and Son, of 57 Gracechurch St., London. Its master was W. Payn, of 39 Eastbourne Grove, South Shields. It frequently coasted between the Elbe and Brest.
The 'Wood Park' (No.11410), was registered in 1883 at London. It was owned by Explosives Trading Co., of Gresham House, Old Broad Street and its master was T.J. Mabley of Pentewan, Cornwall. It frequently sailed from Plymouth to London, but was later used as a dynamite magazine, lying at Hole Haven, Essex.
The tax was raised as part of an assessment levied on the County of Middlesex by order of the Lord General Cromwell 'towards the maintenance of the Armies and Navies of this Commonwealth', 9 Nov 1653.
Francis Sanders was probably the General-Receiver for Middlesex appointed by the assessment commissioners.
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
Conveyances are transfers of land from one party to another, usually for money. Early forms of conveyance include feoffments, surrenders and admissions at manor courts (if the property was copyhold), final concords, common recoveries, bargains and sales and leases and releases.
Source: British Records Association Guidelines 3: How to interpret deeds (available online).
The parish of Saint Sepulchre, Holborn, was situated partly within the City of London (the church building is in Holborn) and partly within Middlesex (now Islington). Cowcross Street is near Farringdon Tube Station.
The name of Peter Dobree is found in a number of places in these ledgers, perhaps as a partner in the business, but the bank cannot be identified from London directories. Samuel Dobree and Sons (later of 6 Tokenhouse Yard) can be found in directories at 65 Old Broad Street from 1800; Dobree and Aubin, merchants, are found at this address 1798-99.
This item probably belonged to James Myers of Yardley Hastings.
These items may relate to P R Poland and Son, furriers, who were trading at this date from Queen Victoria Street and Knightrider Street. There are references in the volume to R H Poland and E L Poland, who were partners in the firm, and many pages bear the initials 'RHP'.
On the evidence of handwriting, the merchant is possibly Johannes Radermacher (or Rotarius), an elder of the Dutch Church from 1571.
Simmons seems to be a wine and general merchant of London. There are no entries in London directories for his business and it is possible that this is a fictional exercise by a student of bookkeeping.
Nothing is known about the provenance of this apparently authentic account of imprisonment in Spain during the Spanish Civil war by an unidentified Austrian Jew. The events described took place in 1936 and the account was, according to the author, written in Vienna in 1937.
This collection of papers documents antisemitism in various forms in South Africa mostly during the 1930s.
Ernest Mitchell, the son of a synagogue cantor from Breslau, Silesia, was rescued by the Red Army and came to England via a Displaced Persons Camp in 1948. His father, Ernst Schampanier is the subject of the document regarding the appointment of a cantor at Breslau synagogue. Edith Rosenthal is his daughter, who died in England in 1972. Suzie Rosenthal, the subject for the application of a commemorative bench for victims of the 'Patria' disaster, is her daughter.
Gurs was a major internment camp in France, near Oloron-Sainte-Marie, 80 kilometers from the Spanish border. Established in 1939 to absorb Republican refugees from Spain, Gurs later served as a concentration camp for Jews from France and refugees from other countries. While under the administration of Vichy France (1940-1942) most non-Jewish prisoners were released and approximately 2000 Jews were permitted to emigrate. In 1941 Gurs held some 15,000 prisoners. The camp was controlled by the Germans from 1942 to 1944, during which time several thousand inmates were deported to extermination camps in Poland. An unknown number succeeded in escaping and reaching Spain or hiding in Southern France. Gurs was liberated in the summer of 1944.
The Youth Aliyah, a branch of the Zionist Movement, was founded with the intention of rescuing Jewish children and young people from hardship. It started its activities in Germany on the eve of the Nazis' rise to power and saved many children who had to leave their families or were orphaned by the Holocaust. It extended its work to include other countries when the need arose, and particularly after the establishment of the State of Israel, looked after many young people entrusted to its care by new immigrant parents already in the country.
There is no indication as to which office this document emanated from or who was responsible for its creation.
Little information exists regarding the administrative history of this collection, although there is a note at the beginning of the list which states that it is by no means comprehensive and that it was created from names discovered in an unidentified card index, the facts of whose deaths were corroborated. The note also states that it was far more difficult to find the names of those doctors who committed suicide or were murdered in the early years of the Nazi era.
Rabbi Dr F Steckelmacher came from Dürkheim, Württemberg, Germany. Having experienced the Nazis' rise to power and later the infamous nationwide pogrom of 9 November 1938, he was to spend time in various concentration camps and slave labour camps in France.
The panopticon prison at Breda, North Brabant, housed the only German war criminals ever to be imprisoned in the Netherlands for their war crimes during the Second World War. They were known as the 'Breda Four (and later three)'. They were Willy Paul Franz Lages who was released in 1966 due to serious illness, Joseph Johann Kotälla who died in prison in 1979, Ferdinand Hugo aus der Fünten and Franz Fischer who both were released in 1989.
No historical information can be found for the White Bear Coach Office. A voiturier was a coachman or carriage driver.
The author of this notebook remains anonymous. It was collected by Mrs M Barnes of Ewell.
A marriage settlement was a legal agreement drawn up before a marriage by the two parties, setting out terms with respect to rights of property and succession.
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
According to the History of the County of Middlesex: "3,000 acres of the parish were inclosed in 1804. Openfield land lying between Eastcote Road and the Northolt boundary made up the bulk of this, but further areas of common land to the north-east of Park and Copse woods were also included".
From: 'Ruislip: Introduction', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 127-134. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22442&strquery=inclos Date accessed: 12 August 2010.
The church of Saint Andrew was situated on Glengall Road, Peckham. In 1956, the parish was united with that of All Saints Davey Street, whose church had been dismantled, and became St Andrew with All Saints. The church finally closed in 1977.
These papers relating to boilers were collected for their general or antiquarian interest and relevance to the subject.
According to the donor, these notes were probably compiled by journalists working on the Evening News, a daily paper published in London between 1881 and 1980.
The City of London Livery Companies originated in medieval guilds, organised around specific trades, which controlled prices and working conditions and provided welfare for members fallen on hard times. Guilds became known as livery companies as they wore unique uniforms, or liveries. Entry to a company was by three methods: patrimony (if one's father was a liveryman), apprenticeship or redemption (purchasing entry). All liverymen gained the Freedom of the City of London.
Internal evidence suggests that these records belonged to the firm of William Connell (1839-75), William George Connell (1876-1902) and George Laurence Connell (1903-39), at 22 Myddleton Street, Spitalfields (1839-46) and 83 Cheapside (1847-1939).
The Rivington family were booksellers, based at Saint Paul's Churchyard, City of London.
No historical information can be found for this plan.
Part of the parish of St. Andrew, Holborn was partly in Middlesex and partly in the City of London. Grays Inn Lane was in Middlesex.
The Red Lion Inn was situated in the parish of Saint Andrew, Holborn. According to the Scavengers Rate Books of Saint Andrew and Saint George the Martyr, 1729-1757, kept at the Holborn Reference Library, the inn lay on the east side of Gray's Inn Lane, the ninth property from Liquorpond Street and the third from Portpool Lane. This is confirmed by the marking of Red Lion Yard on Horwood's map of 1819. The site appears to be approximately that of the present 88-90 Gray's Inn Road, Liquorpond Street having been widened and renamed Clerkenwell Road.
This guide which was written in 1941 was produced for invasion forces landing in Britain. It includes a series of photographs mainly of London bridges and contains information relating to the numbers of hospitals, gas and electricity stations in the boroughs.
Totteridge is in Barnet, north London. It was a small village until the opening of a railway station in 1872; which encouraged the building of new housing.
No administrative history is available for these photographs.
These photographs show properties and streets that are presumed to have been destroyed or altered significantly by the construction of the Rotherhithe Tunnel, which was opened in 1908. Around 3000 local people were displaced by the construction.
The administrative history of this photograph has not been traced.
Anerley Residential School for Deaf Boys was closed in 1956.
Stockwell Training College was constructed in 1861 for the instruction of school teachers.
Photographs include the royal tram car; a doorway on Laurence Pountney Hill; McGarrick and Sons, Drapers, 484 Harrow Road; the new console of the Grand Organ, Alexandra Palace; No. 17 Fleet Street, Princes Street and the electrification of the tramway, Islington Green.
The administrative history of this photograph cannot be traced.
Artists whose work appears in these photographs include:
Robert Adams; Dorothy Annan; Raymond Arnott; Franta Belsky; Perry Brown; Ralph Brown; Penelope Callender; Francis Carr; David Chapman; Siegfried Charoux; Robert Chatworthy; Hubert Dalwood; Robyn Denny; Professor Frank Dobson; Alan Durst; George Ehrlich; Merlyn Evans; Mary Fedden; Elizabeth Frink; Professor A.H. Gerrard; Stephen Gilbert; Sydney Harpley; Aileen Hart; Henry Henghes; Barbara Hepworth; Gertrude Hermes; John Hoskin; Karin Jozen; F.E. McWilliam; Kenneth Martin; Bernard Meadows; Fred Millett; John W. Mills; Dennis Mitchell; George Mitchell; William Mitchell; Henry Moore; Uli Nimptoch; Tom Painter; Victor Passmore; Oliffe Richmond; Willi Soukop; Lesley South; Steven Sykes; Trevor Tenant; Mrs D. Thomas; Miss M. Traherne; William Turnbull; John Verney; Kavel Vogel; Althea Wynne and David Wynne.
The Thames Estuary Special Defence Units, also known as the Thames Estuary Army Forts and the Thames Estuary Navy Forts, were designed by Guy Maunsell and built in 1942 to provide defence of the Thames Estuary.
A Carabinieri Band is an Italian uniformed marching band. The first Carabinieri band was founded in 1820 by the Royal Carabinieri Corps. This band first toured in 1916 to raise money for wounded Allied soldiers.
Hampstead Garden Suburb is an area of outstanding architectural importance situated to the north west of London. In 1951, Nikolaus Pevsner in his Buildings of England - Middlesex described it as 'the aesthetically most satisfactory and socially most successful of C20 garden suburbs'. The Suburb was the vision and accomplishment of Henrietta Octavia Barnett (later Dame Henrietta).
In 1905 Henrietta published an article in the Contemporary Review stating that she wanted to create a place where the rich and poor could live together. The estate would be aesthetically pleasing as it would consist of low dennsity housing and would be planned as a whole, a mixture of buildings and nature. The community would be served by a range of local amenities including churches, libraries, schools and shops. It would be a suburb for all, the old, the young and the handicapped. Nobody would be excluded. Henrietta wanted to bring different classes together rather than create a classless community. She hoped that the result would avoid the worst evils of conventional suburbs of the time - social segregation and destruction of the countyside.
The head architect employed by Henrietta was Raymond Unwin. He had the responsibility of surveying and planning the estate as a whole. Edwin Lutyens was appointed to plan the centrepiece, Central Square. The land purchase negotiations took place between 1900 and 1907. It was on the 2nd May 1907, that Henrietta ceremoniously cut the first sod of grass. Building work from this point was rapid, and by October of the same year the houses which are now known as 140 and 142 Hampstead Way were completed. Also in 1907, Central Square was constructed with its showcase buildings of St Jude's Church, the Free Church, and the Institute.
Although the Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust Ltd owned and administered the suburb, a large section of the housing was built by the Co-Partnership companies. The Co-partnership Tenants Ltd was formed in June 1907, and they aimed to built houses for all classes but especially for the working class. They had a dividend limitation of 5% which limited their profits. The tenants of the houses were the investors, and after expenses had been deducted, surplus profits were divided amongst these tenants in proportion to the rent that they paid. The profit was given in shares only.
Other companies which were involved in the construction of housing in the period before the First World War were the Improved Industrial Dwelling Company Ltd. and the Garden Suburb Development Company (Hampstead) Ltd.
There were also Suburb Tenants Societies who elected their own Board of Management. The Hampstead Tenants Ltd and the Second and Third Hampstead Tenants Ltd (formed 1907, 1909 and 1910 respectively) and finally the Oakwood Tenants Ltd formed in 1913. The impact of all these companies was considerable as they increased the size of the Suburb by more than twofold during the period in which they were building.
No administrative history has been traced for these photographs.
Lincoln's Inn is one of the four Inns of Court. It was founded in the 14th century and moved to its present site off Chancery Lane in 1412.
Hampstead Garden Suburb is an area of outstanding architectural importance situated to the north west of London. In 1951, Nikolaus Pevsner in his Buildings of England - Middlesex described it as 'the aesthetically most satisfactory and socially most successful of C20 garden suburbs'. The Suburb was the vision and accomplishment of Henrietta Octavia Barnett (later Dame Henrietta).
In 1905 Henrietta published an article in the Contemporary Review stating that she wanted to create a place where the rich and poor could live together. The estate would be aesthetically pleasing as it would consist of low dennsity housing and would be planned as a whole, a mixture of buildings and nature. The community would be served by a range of local amenities including churches, libraries, schools and shops. It would be a suburb for all, the old, the young and the handicapped. Nobody would be excluded. Henrietta wanted to bring different classes together rather than create a classless community. She hoped that the result would avoid the worst evils of conventional suburbs of the time - social segregation and destruction of the countyside.
The head architect employed by Henrietta was Raymond Unwin. He had the responsibility of surveying and planning the estate as a whole. Edwin Lutyens was appointed to plan the centrepiece, Central Square. The land purchase negotiations took place between 1900 and 1907. It was on the 2nd May 1907, that Henrietta ceremoniously cut the first sod of grass. Building work from this point was rapid, and by October of the same year the houses which are now known as 140 and 142 Hampstead Way were completed. Also in 1907, Cenral Square was constructed with its showcase buildings of St. Jude's Church, the Free Church, and the Institute.
Although the Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust Ltd owned and administered the suburb, a large section of the housing was built by the Co-Partnership companies. The Co-partnership Tenants Ltd. was formed in June 1907, and they aimed to built houses for all classes but especially for the working class. They had a dividend limitation of 5% which limited their profits. The tenants of the houses were the investors, and after expenses had been deducted, surplus profits were divided amongst these tenants in proportion to the rent that they paid. The profit was given in shares only.
Other companies which were involved in the construction of housing in the period before the First World War were the Improved Industrial Dwelling Company Ltd. and the Garden Suburb Development Company (Hampstead) Ltd.
There were also Suburb Tenants Societies who elected their own Board of Management. The Hampstead Tenants Ltd and the Second and Third Hampstead Tenants Ltd (formed 1907, 1909 and 1910 respectively) and finally the Oakwood Tenants Ltd formed in 1913. The impact of all these companies was considerable as they increased the size of the Suburb by more than twofold during the period in which they were building.
Common Recovery was a process by which land was transferred from one owner to another. It was a piece of legal fiction involving the party transferring the land, a notional tenant and the party acquiring the land; the tenant was ejected to effect the transfer. An exemplification was a formal copy of a court record issued with the court's seal.
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
The sugar factory, or 'sugar house' was managed by John Christian Suhring and John Arney, sugar refiners. It was situated in Angel Alley, Whitechapel. It was noted in 1848 that the neighbourhood of St Mary Whitechapel had "numerous establishments for the refining of sugar, which constitutes the principal trade of the parish" (A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 543-551).