The first Professor of Zoology was appointed in 1836 in the Department of General Literature and Science. Zoology was taught in the Evening Classes Department at King's College from 1861 and Comparative Anatomy and Zoology in the Medical Department from 1874. Animal Biology was a component of the Department of Physiology, Practical Physiology and Histology in the Faculty of Science until Zoology and Animal Biology emerged as a department in the Faculty of Science in 1901. It was incorporated into the new School of Biological Studies in 1964 that also comprised the departments of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Botany and Physiology. This prevailed until the merger of King's, Chelsea College and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985, when Zoology and Animal Biology was absorbed within an enlarged Department of Biology, itself part of the Faculty of Life Sciences, and, from 1991, successively part of the Biosphere and Life Sciences Divisions of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences. Since 1998 it has been part of the Division of Life Sciences in the School of Health and Life Sciences.
The origins of the Faculty of Arts lay in the Department of General Literature and Science. The Department came into being in 1839 in response to the need for a greater differentiation of the syllabus for students of the Senior Department at King's College London. As its name suggests, it constituted a broad faculty or grouping of subjects and classes that provided a core liberal syllabus in the arts and sciences available to all students of King's, including Medical students. Principal subjects included English Literature, Theology, Modern History, Classics, Modern Languages and Mathematics, but later instruction covered subjects as diverse as Geology, Law, Political Economy and Oriental Languages. The division between General Literature and Science Departments, that took place in 1888, foreshadowed the replacement of General Literature by the new Faculty of Arts in 1893. The Faculty of Arts was replaced by the School of Humanities in 1989.
The Faculty of Arts was established in 1893 from what was the General Literature Department. After the merger with Chelsea and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985, it was known as the Faculty of Arts and Music. It then became the School of Humanities in 1989. The academic departments currently comprised within the School are: Byzantine & Modern Greek Studies, Classics, English and Palaeography, English Language Centre, European Studies, French, German, History, Menzies Centre for Australian Studies, Modern Language Centre, Music, Philosophy, Portuguese & Brazilian Studies, Spanish & Spanish-American Studies, Theology and Religious Studies, and Mediterranean Studies. The departments of War Studies and Geography also formed part of the Faculty and School until 2001 when they were incorporated into a new School of Social Science and Public Policy.
The Department for the Training of Teachers was established under John William Adamson in 1890. In 1896 it was split into two sections: the Day Training College for those intending to teach in elementary schools, and the Department for Secondary Training. These were amalgamated in 1922 to form the Education Department, part of the Faculty of Arts. This became the Faculty of Education in 1968, which merged with the Chelsea College Centre for Science and Mathematics Education in 1985 to create the current School of Education.
The Class of Civil Engineering and Mining was founded at King's in 1838, mainly as a response to the growth of the railway system and the need for more qualified engineers. This became the Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture and Science, as Applied to Arts and Manufactures, in 1840. Over the next few years this department enlarged in scope and in 1844 became the Department of the Applied Sciences. This became the Department of Engineering and the Applied Sciences in 1874. In 1893 the Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences was created as part of the Faculty of Science, and in 1902 a distinct Faculty of Engineering was established. Separate departments of Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electronic and Electrical Engineering were formed, with Civil and Mechanical Engineering combining in 1935. Civil Engineering was then closed in 1989, whilst Mechanical Engineering and Electronic and Electrical Engineering, now the Department of Electronic Engineering, became part of the new School of Physical Sciences and Engineering.
Law has been taught at King's College London since it formally opened in 1831, and originally came under the Senior Department and then the Department of General Literature and Science. Under the Faculty of Arts from 1893, it was known as the Division of Laws and Economics. The Faculty of Laws was founded in association with the London School of Economics in 1909, and became known as the School of Law in 1989. It is a single department school, but is comprised of various research centres and groups, including the Centre of European Law and the Centre of Medical Law and Ethics, whose student records are included in this section.
Law has been taught at King's since it opened formerly in 1831, and originally came under the Senior Department and then the Department of General Literature and Science. Under the Faculty of Arts from 1893, it was known as the Division of Laws and Economics. The Faculty of Laws was founded in association with the London School of Economics in 1909, and became known as the School of Law in 1991. It is a single department school, but is comprised of various research centres and groups, including the British Institute of Human Rights, set up in 1971, the Centre of European Law, founded in 1974, the Centre of Medical Law and Ethics, created in 1978, and the Centre of British Constitutional Law and History, established in 1988.
The Faculty of Life Sciences was established in 1987 following the merger in 1985 of King's, Queen Elizabeth and Chelsea Colleges. Previously, its constituent departments had mainly formed part of the Faculty of Natural Science. The College's academic structure was reorganised into Schools in 1989, when the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences came into being. In 1998, this was subdivided into the School of Health and Life Sciences, and the School of Biomedical Sciences.
Vocal music was a subject taught in the Department of General Literature and Science between 1843 and 1915. Music was an externally examined subject within the University of London from around 1900 until the University of London King Edward Chair was converted into a full-time professorship based at King's College in a new Faculty of Music in 1964. The Faculty of Arts and Music was created in 1986, which became a part of the School of Humanities in 1989.
The Faculty of Science was originally founded in 1893, of which the Division of Natural Science formed a part, before becoming the Faculty of Natural Science in 1921. The Faculty was eventually closed in 1985 and its constituent departments and successors now fall mainly under the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering and the School of Life and Health Sciences.
King's College London Department of Theology was established in 1846 for the preparation of graduates and other candidates for Holy Orders. The Transfer Act of 1908 separated the secular and theological components of King's, creating institutions known respectively as The University of London, King's College, and the Theological Department of King's College London. The College Council retained all its powers in relation to the Faculty of Theology, but a Theological Committee was instituted to advise the Council and to superintend, under its direction, the work carried on in the Theological Department of the College. The Theological Department was thereafter a School of the University within the Faculty of Theology and the Head of the Theological Department was the Dean of King's College. Undergraduate courses available included the BD, intended as a first stage for teaching in schools or as a preparation for ordination, and the AKC, which overlapped with the BD but contained a more practical element for those meaning to enter ordained ministry. Postgraduate courses included the MTh, MPhil and PhD. In 1958 the University decided to make money available for more teaching posts in Theology, which were established within the Faculty of Arts, King's College. This led to the development of more non-vocational theological classes including courses in Religious Studies. Theology was formally reunited with the rest of the College in 1980 under the title King's College London. It is currently known as the Department of Theology and Religious Studies and is part of the School of Humanities.
The Department of Theology was established in 1846 for the preparation of graduates and other candidates for Holy Orders. The Transfer Act of 1908 separated the secular and theological components of King's, creating legally separate institutions known respectively as the University of London, King's College, and the Theological Department of King's College London. The Department became a Faculty in 1964 and was renamed the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies in 1979, at which point ended vocational training for the priesthood. In 1980, it was formerly reunited with the rest of the College under the title King's College London, when teaching was divided into three departments: Christian Doctrine and History, History and Philosophy of Religion, and Biblical Studies. It is currently known as the Department of Theology and Religious Studies, part of the School of Humanities since 1989. Related research institutes include the Centre for New Religions, established in 1982, and the Centre for Advanced Biblical Studies.
In 1839 the Council of King's College London was persuaded by Robert Bentley Todd (1809-1860), a physician at the College, to lease a disused workhouse in Portugal Street near Lincoln's Inn Fields and the Royal College of Surgeons, and convert it for use as a hospital. This was the first King's College Hospital and it opened in 1840. Its purpose was to provide King's College medical students with a place in the near vicinity of the College where they could receive instruction by their own professors. The Council of King's College London became the supreme governing body of the Hospital, largely through a Board of Governors, with the right to appoint all medical staff. A Committee of Management undertook the day to day administration and appointed lay officers. The Sisterhood of St John the Evangelist provided all nursing and catering for the Hospital between 1856 and 1885. A second hospital was opened in 1861 on the site of the first extended hospital. A Medical Board was subsequently established at the College to oversee the academic work and teaching. By 1900, the changed nature of the surrounding area of the Hospital and the fact that about a third of patient admissions came from South London, led to a Special Court of the Governors, in 1903, adopting a proposal to move King's College Hospital south of the river Thames. In 1904 an Act of Parliament was obtained to remove the Hospital to Denmark Hill, on land purchased and presented to the Governors by Hon William Frederick Danvers Smith, later Lord Hambleden. A foundation stone was laid in 1909; that year King's College London was incorporated into the University of London and the Hospital established as a separate legal entity. At the same time the Committee of Management took over responsibility for teaching in the School of Advanced Medical Studies, bringing into existence King's College Hospital Medical School. The Faculty of Medical Science remained at the College providing pre-clinical training, while the Hospital Medical School provided clinical training, the latter being recognised as a School of Medicine by the University of London. The new Hospital was opened in 1913. From 1914 to 1919, the Hospital became the Fourth London General Military Hospital and a large part of it was taken over for military uses. In 1923 a Dental School and Hospital was established within the Hospital. In July 1948 the National Health Service Act came into operation. A King's College Hospital Group was recognised as a teaching group managed by a Board of Governors and responsible to the Minister of Health. In 1948 the King's College Hospital Group consisted of King's College Hospital, Royal Eye Hospital, Belgrave Hospital for Children, Belgrave Recovery Home, and Baldwin Brown Recovery Home. From 1966 the King's Group consisted of King's College Hospital, Belgrave Hospital for Children, Belgrave Recovery Home, Baldwin Brown Recovery Home, Dulwich Hospital, St Giles Hospital, and St Francis Hospital. In 1974, due to the reorganisation of the National Health Service, the Board of Governors of King's College Hospital Group was disbanded, and replaced by a District Management Team. The King's Health District (Teaching) was thus formed as one of the four Districts in the Lambeth Southwark and Lewisham Area Health Authority (Teaching). The second reorganisation of the National Health Service took place in April 1982, resulting in the King's Health District (Teaching) becoming a new Health Authority, the Camberwell District Health Authority. In 1983 King's College Hospital Medical School was reunited with the College to form King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry. The Hospital came under the management of the King's Heathcare Trust in 1993. The United Medical and Dental Schools (UMDS) of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals merged with King's College London in 1998, creating the Guy's, King's and St Thomas's School of Medicine.
Ephemeral literature, serial publications including reports, and visual material were created or collected by staff of King's College Hospital in the conduct of their business.
King's College Hospital Committee of Management was established in 1840. It was elected by and from the Annual Court of the Governors of King's College London, with the College Council appointing two members itself. The Committee of Management undertook the day-to-day administration of the Hospital and appointed lay officers including the Secretary, Steward and Matron. This arrangement of dual control between the Council and the Committee of Management sometimes led to friction, and did not become law until 1851 with the Act of Incorporation. As a consequence of King's College Hospital becoming King's College Hospital Group in 1948, the Committee of Management became the House Committee in 1950. In 1963 the House Committees of King's College Hospital and Belgrave Hospital amalgamated, and were henceforth referred to as the King's College Hospital House Committee, until 1968 when Belgrave Hospital House Committee was transferred from the care of King's and combined with the St Francis Hospital House Committee.
The Appeal Committee, also known as the Special Appeal Committee and the Appeal Sub-Committee, reported to the Appeal Council from 1922 to 1924: the Appeal Council was the managing body with the Appeal Committee as the executive. The Medical School Centenary Committee was set up for the Medical School centenary 1831-1931. The General Board of Teachers was one of the Statutory Boards assisting the Committee of Management with the government of the Medical School, and consisted of the members of the Medical Board and of all persons officially engaged in teaching in the Medical School, meeting for the first time in 1910. The Cambridge House Day Centre was a joint venture sponsored by the Nuffield Foundation and administered and staffed by King's College Hospital.
In 1908 the King's College London (Transfer) Act was passed, its provisions coming into force on 1 September 1909. By this Act, King's College London was incorporated in the University of London. The government of the Hospital was separated from that of the College. The Committee of Management took over the School of Advanced Medical Studies, bringing into existence King's College Hospital Medical School, while the Faculty of Medical Science remained at the College. Henceforth, the College provided pre-clinical training only, and the King's College Hospital Medical School provided clinical training. Also under this Act, the King's College Hospital Medical School obtained recognition from, and was constituted as, a School of Medicine in the University of London. From that time until 1948, the government of the Medical School remained the responsibility of the Committee of Management of the Hospital, which was assisted by three Statutory Committees: the Medical Board, the Medical School Committee and the General Board of Teachers. In 1923, it was decided by the Delegacy of King's College and by the Committee of Management of the Hospital, to establish a School of Dental Surgery in connection with, and as part of, the Medical School. In 1948, the Medical School and the Hospital became disassociated. The Hospital came under control of the Ministry of Health and the Medical School became the responsibility of the University of London. The 'new' Medical School became a distinct legal entity and had its own governing body, the Medical School Council, on which there were representatives of the Board of Governors of the King's College Hospital Group, King's College London, the University of London and the Medical School's Academic Board.
King's College Hospital Standing Sub-Committee of Finance was appointed in 1855, to raise funds for the Hospital. In 1875 it became the Finance Committee. In 1948 it became the Finance and General Purposes Committee, when the King's College Hospital Group came into being. The Board of Governors of the Group delegated much power to the Finance and General Purposes Committee.
The earliest reference of what was later called the Friends of King's College Hospital, was in the annual report of 1903, which mentioned the "Needlework Guild" contributing 604 garments and £42 cash for "comforts of the ward" that year. The members of the Guild were local ladies. In 1910 the Guild made and donated a large amount of linen to the Hospital, including blankets, sheets, pillowcases and towels. In 1917 Dowager Viscountess Lady Esther Hambleden formed from the Needlework Guild, a 'Ladies Association', whose main object was to collect money for the Hospital and for the patients' comforts. The Association raised money for the Hospital, made 400 blackout curtains in World War Two, started and staffed a canteen, gave money for improvements to the Nurses' Home, opened a flower shop and was responsible for flower arrangements in the Hospital. Viscountess Lady Hambleden served as Chairman of the Friends from 1917 to 1944, followed by Dowager Lady Stanley 1944-1947, and the Hon Katherine Acland 1947-1966. From 1966 the Chairman held a three year term of office. In 1961 the Ladies Association and the Ladies Association of Belgrave Hospital for Children became the Friends of King's College Hospital, its basic principles remaining the same: to provide amenities and comforts for the benefit of patients and staff of King's College Hospital. All its members are volunteers. The Friends established the Kingfishers, a junior branch specially concerned with raising money for child patients, with its own Committee.
The first governors of the Hospital, in 1840, consisted mainly of major donors and subscribers. From 1857 the Board of Governors became the Corporation of the President, Vice-President and Governors. When the National Health Service was established in 1948, the Minister of Health constituted a new board of governors for each of the London teaching hospital groups. The King's College Hospital Group Board of Governors included members appointed on the nomination of the University of London, the Metropolitan Hospital Boards and the medical teaching staffs of the hospitals. In 1974, due to the reorganisation of the National Health Service, the Board of Governors of King's College Hospital Group was disbanded and replaced by a District Management Team.
In 1952 the Medical School established a research sub-committee of the Academic Board, which in the following year became the Joint Hospital and School Research Committee. The Dental Committee was a sub-committee of the Finance and General Purposes Committee. In 1960 the Joint Dental Council and Dental Committee became the Joint Dental Council. The New Dental Hospital and School Joint Advisory Planning Committee became the Dental Planning Committee in 1960. The New Dental Hospital Building Sub-Committee was replaced by the New Dental Hospital and School Building Details Sub-Committee in 1962. The Joint Planning Committee was formed at the time of King's College Hospital Group Board of Governors and Medical School Council becoming King's Health District (Teaching) Management Team and Medical School Council in 1974.
For a number of years King's College Hospital Medical Board consisted of the professors, who were usually also medical practitioners, in the Medical Department of the College. Its task was to oversee academic work and teaching. In 1870 the Board was reconstituted and consisted of the physicians, surgeons, assistant physicians, assistant surgeons, the Dental Surgeon, the Senior Anaesthetist of the Hospital, the Teacher of Hygiene in the Medical School and other teachers of the Medical School appointed by the Committee of Management. In 1949 the Medical Board became the Medical Committee, as a consequence of the Hospital becoming King's College Hospital Group in 1948.
The Medical and Scientific Society of King's College London was established in 1833. The object of the Society was: `The cultivation of Medicine and the auxiliary sciences, by the propagation of a spirit of observation and original research, and of a feeling of friendship and co-operation amongst those engaged in the pursuit of these sciences'. In 1845 the Society changed its name to the Medical Society of King's College London. In 1908 the Society became the King's College Hospital Medical Society, and in 1912, the year in which Lord Joseph Lister, Professor of Clinical Surgery at King's College Hospital, died, the name was changed to the Listerian Society of King's College Hospital. The Listerian Society is no longer active.
The King's College London Transfer Act was passed in 1908 (coming into force in 1909), and King's College London was incorporated in the University of London. The Committee of Management of King's College Hospital took over the School of Advanced Medical Studies, bringing into existence King's College Hospital Medical School, while the Faculty of Medical Science remained at the College. The Committee of Management appointed the government of the Medical School, assisted by the Medical School Committee. The Medical School Committee consisted of the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman and the Treasurer of the Committee of Management, and the Dean of the Medical School, together with six members of the Committee of Management and six members chosen by the Medical Board. Under the provisions of the National Health Service Act, 1946, the Medical School was incorporated as a separate legal entity in 1948, distinct from the Hospital, with its own governing body, the Council of the Medical School.
King's College Hospital Nursing Committee was formed in 1885 when the Sisterhood of St John the Evangelist's nursing agreement with the Hospital was terminated, and the Committee of Management formed their own nursing staff. The Nursing Committee formed an Education Sub-Committee in 1947. The Nursing Committee and its Education Sub-Committee were reconstituted and renamed in 1968 following the Salmon Committee Report recommendations for nurse administration reform. The Nursing Committee became the Nursing Advisory Committee in 1968, reporting directly to the Finance and General Purposes Committee. The Education Sub-Committee became the Nursing Education Committee from 1969, and the Normanby College Council from 1974, reporting to the District Management Team.
In 1885 the Committee of Management of King's College Hospital formed its own training school for nurses, and registers of nurses and student nurses began to be kept. King's College Hospital constructed a new building to house the School of Nursing, 1972-1974. It was named Normanby College of Nursing Midwifery and Physiotherapy (Oswald Constantine John Phipps, 4th Marquis of Normanby (1912-1994), was chairman of the KCH Board of Governors at the time). The College building was officially opened in 1975. It provided training in nursing, midwifery, physiotherapy, and radiography. In 1989, Normanby College and the Bromley and Camberwell Health Authorities established the Bromley and Camberwell Department of Nursing Studies, supported by the Department of Nursing Studies, King's College, and University of London. Normanby College amalgamated with the Nightingale and Guy's School of Nursing in 1993, to form the Nightingale Institute.
Born, 1916; educated at the City of London School and Guy's Dental Hospital where he graduated in 1938; year in private practice and part-time teaching; joined Royal Air Force Reserve during World War Two; appointed Head of the Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, King's College Hospital Dental School, 1947; Professor of Prosthetic Dentistry at the University of London, 1959; helped open new Dental School, 1966; appointed Dean of Dental Studies, 1972; Dean of the Board of the Faculty of Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons, 1977; pioneer in the use of film in dental teaching and also in the development of new remote control devices used by disabled people; died 2003.
Born, 1863, educated, King's College School, 1876-1880, entered Medical Department, King's College London, 1880; Carter Gold Medal and Prize for Botany, 1882; Warneford Prize for Theology and Leathes Prize for Religious Knowledge, 1883; member Royal College of Surgeons, 1885; obtained honours in Materia Medica at the first Bachelor of Medicine Examination in 1883, final with honours in Obstetrics and in Forensic Medicine, 1886, first class honours and Gold Medal, Bachelor of Surgery Examination, 1887; Gold Medal, Master of Surgery Examination, 1888; appointed House Surgeon, King's College Hospital to John Wood, Professor of Clinical Surgery, 1886; Sambrooke Surgical Registrar, 1889; appointed Assistant Surgeon to King's College Hospital and Teacher of Practical Surgery, Teacher of Operative Surgery, and Surgeon, 1898; Professor of Surgery in King's College, 1902-1918, resigned from honorary staff, Senior Surgeon to King's and Consulting Surgeon, 1919; elected Chairman of the Medical Board, 1914, Colonel in the Army Medical Service, and Consulting Surgeon to Eastern Command, 1914-1918; elected a Fellow of King's College London, 1908, Honorary Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, 1920, Honorary Medical Director of Barnardo Homes following retirement from King's College. Died 1936. Publications: With William Rose, A manual of surgery (London, 1898), 19th edition (London, 1960).
Born, 1902-1903, patient of Arthur Henry Cheatle, 1919, moved to New Zealand, 1936; corresponded with King's College Hospital, 1990.
Born 1870; Educated, King's College School and King's College London; House Surgeon and Ophthalmic Assistant, King's College Hospital; Resident Medical Officer, St Peter's Hospital, London; Surgeon and Dean, Royal Eye Hospital, London; Ophthalmic Surgeon, Royal Ear Hospital, London; Senior Demonstrator of Anatomy and Tutor, Sheffield Medical School; Demonstrator of Physiology and Lecturer in Animal Biology, King's College London, 1895; Lecturer, Zoology, Animal Biology and Elementary Biology, King's College London, 1900; Lecturer, Physiology, King's College London, 1904; Assistant Ophthalmic Surgeon, King's College Hospital, 1910; Dean, King's College Hospital Medical School, 1911; Fellow, 1922, Associate and Member of the Corporation of King's College London; Consulting Ophthalmic Surgeon to King's College Hospital, 1929, and Beckenham Hospital, Kent; Dean Emeritus and Emeritus Lecturer on Ophthalmology, King's College Hospital Medical School, 1929; Consulting Surgeon, Royal Eye Hospital; Honorary Consulting Ophthalmic Surgeon to Royal School for Blind, and South London Institute for the Blind; died, 13 March 1956. Publications: Manual of physiology for students and practitioners (1911); King's and some King's men: being a record of the Medical Department of King's College, London, from 1830-1909 and of King's College Hospital Medical School from 1909 to 1934 (Oxford University Press, London, 1935, Addendum to 1948, 1950); Applied physiology of the eye assisted by T Keith Lyle (Baillière, Tindall & Cox, London, 1958).
Dental student at the Northwestern University Dental School, Chicago.
Born, 1849; educated Trinity College, Toronto, University of Toronto, 1868-1870, McGill University, Montreal, 1870-1872, University College London, 1872-1873; Professor of the Institutes of Medicine, McGill University, 1874-1884; Professor of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 1884-1889; Professor of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, 1889-1904; Professor of Medicine, University of Oxford, 1904-1919; elected to the Royal College of Physicians, 1884, and to the Royal Society, 1898; died, 1919.
Publications: The cerebral palsies of children (London, 1889) The principles and practice of medicine (Edinburgh, 1891); On Chorea and choreiform affections (London, 1894); Lectures on Angina Pectoris and allied states (New York, 1897); Cancer of the stomach. A clinical study (London, 1900); Aequanimitas. With other addresses to medical students, nurses and practitioners of medicine (London, 1904); The student life. A farewell address to Canadian and American medical students (Oxford, 1905); Counsels and ideals from the writings of William Osler (Oxford, 1905); The growth of truth, as illustrated in the discovery of the circulation of the blood (London, 1906); Science and immortality (London, 1906); An Alabama student, and other biographical essays (Oxford, 1908); Thomas Linacre (Cambridge, 1908); The treatment of disease (London, 1909); Incunabula medica. A study of the earlier printed medical books, 1467-1480 (London, 1923); The tuberculous soldier (London, 1961).
Born, 2 June 1833; medical student, King's College London, 1851; served in the Crimean War, 1855-1856.
Publications: Memories of the Crimean War, January 1855 to June 1856 (St Catherine Press, London, 1911); Soldier-surgeon. The Crimean war letters of Dr Douglas A Reid, 1855-1856 edited by Joseph O Baylen and Alan Conway (University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville, [1968]).
Born, 8 July 1903; Bacteriology Course, King's College London, 1922-1923; worked at Fulham Tuberculosis Dispensary, and at Farringdon General Dispensary and Lying in Charity, 1923-1925; qualified as a Dispensing Assistant to an Apothecary, Society of Apothecaries of London, `The Westminster Classes', Queen Anne's Chambers, London, 1925.
Born, 1859; entered King's College London Medical Department, 1878, obtained honours in Medicine, 1883; appointed House Surgeon to Joseph Lister, Professor of Clinical Surgery, King's College London, 1883; practised in Italy and Switzerland and qualified as a Doctor of Medicine at Lausanne, 1891; Physician to the Throat Hospital, Golden Square, London, and Surgeon to the Royal Ear Hospital, 1893-1901; Assistant Physician for Diseases of the Throat and Nose, King's College Hospital, 1901; Physician in Charge of the Department, 1905; Professor of Laryngology, King's College London, 1908- 1924; appointed Emeritus Professor of Laryngology, King's College London, and Consulting Laryngological Physician to King's College Hospital, 1924; President of the Royal Society of Medicine, 1924-1926; died, 1943.
Publications: The cerebro-spinal fluid (London, 1899); Submucous excision of deviations and spurs of the nasal septum (London, 1906); Operations upon the nose and its accessory cavities (Oxford, 1909); Diseases of the nose and throat (London, 1911); Tuberculosis of the larynx (London, 1924); Cancer of the larynx (London, 1930).
Born 1853; King's College School, 1867-1871; King's College Hospital, 1872-1877; Warneford Entrance Scholarship, 1871; Gold Medal in Physiology at Intermediate M.B. Examination and Gold Medals in Forensic and in Obstetric Medicine, 1877; House Physician, King's College Hospital, 1876-1877; Sambrooke Medical Registrar, 1878; Assistant Physician, 1885; Physician, 1892; Professor of Materia Medica and Pharmacology, 1885-1900; Professor of the Principles and Practice of Medicine, 1900-1919; Fellow of King's College, 1885; retired King's College, 1919; Emeritus Professor of Medicine and Consulting Physician, King's College, from 1919; Council member of the Royal College of Physicians, 1908-1910; Bradshaw Lecturer, 1914; Member of General Medical Council, 1922-1927; died, 1928.
Publications: Diphtheria and antitoxin (London, 1897); Albuminuria and Bright's Disease (London, 1899); edited The prescriber's pharmacopoeia (London, 1886); The essentials of Materia Medica and therapeutics (London, 1885); Thomson's conspectus adapted to the British Pharmacopeia of 1885 (London, 1887); King's College Hospital Reports (London, 1895-1903).
Richard Jacobs appears to have paid the debts of various inmates of debtors' prisons.
Born, 1865; educated Merchant Taylors' School, London, Medical Department, King's College London, 1883-1892; House Surgeon, King's College Hospital, 1888, House Physician, 1889, Sambrooke Surgical Registrar, 1889; Demonstrator of Surgical Pathology, 1892-1894; Assistant Surgeon to King's College Hospital, 1893; Surgeon and Teacher of Surgical Pathology, 1900, replaced Frederic Francis Burghard as Senior Surgeon and Lecturer of Surgery, 1923; Consulting Surgeon, Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1902; Surgeon-Rear-Admiral in the Royal Navy, serving at the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar, Portsmouth and on a hospital ship in the Gallipoli Campaign, 1915; Fellow of King's College London, 1919; retired 1930; Consulting Surgeon to the Hospital and Emeritus Lecturer on Clinical Surgery in the Medical School, 1930; awarded Walker Prize by the Royal College of Surgeons for work on the Pathology and Therapeutics of Cancer, reflecting a life-long interest in carcinomas, especially cancer of the breast, 1931; Honorary Fellow of the College of Surgeons of America, 1932; died 1951.
Publications: Honing Spruit, South Africa (London, 1902); with Max Cutler, Tumours of the breast. Their pathology, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment (Arnold and Co., London, 1931).
Information not available.
Born 1906 in Chita, Siberia, and originally named Alexander Lebedeff; moved to Harbin, China, 1922; awarded a Russian Diploma in Civil and Railway Engineering, Harbin Polytechnical Institute, China, 1930; worked in Shanghai, China, on the construction of skyscrapers, submitted articles to the Engineering Society of China, 1931-1935, and became interested in theosophy and naturopathy; enrolled as a student in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, 1936; cadet medical officer in the Hong Kong Defence Force, 1938; lieutenant medical officer, Hong Kong, 1941; Japanese POW, 1941-1945; moved to England, enrolled as a medical student, University of London, 1946, and changed his surname to Swan; Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, University of London, 1949; worked as a Houseman and locum in General Practice, Sheffield, Yorkshire, 1950-1952; Pathology Department, King's college Hospital, 1952-1954; appointed successively Registrar, Senior Medical Officer and Consultant Pathologist in Haematology, St James Hospital, Balham, London; Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists, 1971; retired 1971; further research in leukaemia, Marsden Hospital Group Cancer Research Foundation Leukaemia Unit, 1972-1974; died 1980.
Born 1899; educated at University College, Cardiff, and King's College Hospital London from which he was awarded his MB BS in 1923; Sambrooke Surgical Registrar, 1924; Senior Surgical Tutor, 1927; Assistant Surgeon, 1928; Surgeon, 1934; Hunterian Professor at the Royal College of Surgeons, 1934; Royal Army Medical Corps, 1941-1946; Dean of the King's Medical School, 1948; Emeritus Professor and Director of the Department of Surgery in the Medical School, 1956-1970; Consulting Surgeon to King Edward VII Hospital for Officers, 1956-1970; President of the British Society of Gastroenterology, 1961; died 1989. Publications: Diverticula and diverticulitis of the intestine. Their pathology, diagnosis, and treatment (Bristol, 1939); Surgical emergencies in children (1936); Recent advances in surgery (London, 1948).
Born, 1852, educated King's College, Aberdeen, and Edinburgh University, graduating, 1875; after a brief visit to Vienna, appointed House-Surgeon to Joseph Lister, Professor of Clinical Surgery at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, and also appointed Demonstrator of Anatomy in Edinburgh University, 1876-1877; Lister's first House Surgeon, King's College Hospital, 1877; Extra-Sambrooke Surgical Registrar, 1878; Assistant Surgeon and Teacher of Practical Surgery, 1880; Surgeon with Care of Out-Patients, 1887; Surgeon and Teacher of Operative Surgery, 1889; Professor of the Principles and Practice of Surgery, 1902; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1894; Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, 1879; Hunterian Professor, Royal College of Surgeons, 1888, 1890-1892; President, Royal College of Surgeons, 1914-1916; Civil Consulting Surgeon to British forces during the Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1902; Consulting Surgeon to the Royal Navy, 1915; Knight Commander, Order of St Michael and St George, 1916; elected Member of Parliament for the University of Edinburgh and St Andrews, 1917; Member of Parliament for the Combined Scottish Universities, 1918-1922; Died, 1932.
Publications: translated Robert Koch, Investigations into the etiology of traumatic infective diseases (London, 1880); Antiseptic surgery, its principles, practice, history and results (Smith, Elder and Co., London, 1882), that was derived from his thesis for the Jacksonian prize awarded by the Royal College of Surgeons, 1881; Manual of the antiseptic treatment of wounds (Smith, Elder and Co., London, 1885); Suppuration and septic diseases (Y. J. Pentland, Edinburgh and London, 1889); translated Carl Flugge, Micro-organisms, with special reference to the etiology of the infective diseases (London, 1890); The objects and limits of operations for cancer (Bailliere and Co., London, 1896); On the treatment of tuberculosis diseases in their surgical aspect (J. Bale and Co., London, 1900); Tuberculosis diseases of bones and joints, their pathology, symptoms, and treatment (London, 1911); Lister and his achievement (Longmans and Co., London, 1925), the first Lister Memorial Lecture delivered at the Royal College of Surgeons, 1925.
Born, 17 April 1874; educated, Medical Department, King's College London; awarded the University of London Exhibition in Zoology, 1893; University Scholarship in Physiology, 1895; awarded Exhibition and Gold Medal in Physiology, and First class honours in Materia Medica, 1898; House Surgeon, King's College Hospital, 1901; Assistant Demonstrator, King's College London, 1902-1904, and Demonstrator, 1904-1905; Sambrooke Surgical Registrar, King's, 1902-1906, and Senior Surgical Registrar and Tutor, 1910-1912; Assistant Surgeon, King's, 1912; Surgeon, King's, 1919; Senior Surgeon and Lecturer in Surgery, King's; Fellow of King's College, 1931; Hunterian Professor, Royal College of Surgeons, 1926 and 1933; Surgeon-Rear-Admiral and Consulting Surgeon, Royal Navy; retired from King's College, 1934; appointed Consulting Surgeon, King's College Hospital, and Emeritus Lecturer on Surgery to the Medical School; died 29 November 1945.
Publications: Glandular enlargement and other diseases of the lymphatic system (1908); part author of A manual of surgical treatment (Longmans & Co, London, 1912).
Born, 28 March 1876; educated, Epsom College, Surrey, and Charing Cross Hospital, London; Civil Surgeon, South African War; Lady Jones Lecturer, Liverpool University, 1929; Robert Jones Lecturer, Royal College of Surgeons, 1938; founded new department of Orthopaedic Surgery, King's College Hospital, 1939; Simpson-Smith Lecturer, Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, London, 1952; late Consultant Adviser on Orthopaedics to Ministry of Health for Emergency Medical Service; Honorary Consultant (Orthopaedic) to the Army at Home; Consulting Surgeon, Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, London; Consulting Orthopaedic Surgeon, King's College Hospital; Emeritus Lecturer in Orthopaedic Surgery, King's College Hospital Medical School; Emeritus Surgeon, Lord Mayor Treloar's Orthopaedic Hospital, Alton; knighted, 1946; died 26 February 1961. Publications: An atlas of general affections of the skeleton (E & S Livingstone, Edinburgh & London, 1951).
Born, 1905; educated, Clare College, Cambridge and St Bartholomew's Hospital, London; Lawrence Scholarship and Gold Medal, St Bartholomew's Hospital, 1933 and 1934; Temple Cross Research Fellow, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 1934-1935; Honorary Consulting Physician, Department of Child Health, St Bartholomew's Hospital; Honorary Consulting Paediatrician, Queen Charlotte's Maternity Hospital, London; co-founder, The Osler Club, London; President, British Society for Medical History, 1974-1976; President, International Society for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect, 1981-1982; died, 20 September 1984.
Publications: Editor of The care of invalid and crippled children (Oxford University Press, London, 1960); editor of World-blindness or specific developmental dyslexia (Pitman Medical Publishing Company, London, 1962); editor of Cancer report 1948-1952 with M P Curwen (E & S Livingstone, Edinburgh & London, 1963); editor of Children with communication problems (Pitman Medical Publishing Company, London, 1965); editor of Selected writings of Lord Moynihan (Pitman Medical Publishing Company, London, 1967); editor of Assessment and teaching of dyslexic children with Sandhya Naidoo (London, 1970); compiler of The Tunbridge Wells study group on non-accidental injury to children: report and resolutions (Tunbridge Wells, 1973); editor of Concerning child abuse: papers presented by the Tunbridge Wells study group on non-accidental injury to children (Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, 1975); Pastoral paediatrics (1976); Widening horizons of child health: a study of the medical health needs of children in England and Wales [1976]; editor of The challenge of child abuse: proceedings of a conference sponsored by the Royal Society of Medicine, 2-4 June 1976 (1977); editor of Child abuse: prediction, prevention and follow up (1977); editor of The abused child in the family and in the community: selected papers from the second international congress on child abuse and neglect, London, 1978 with C Henry Kempe and Christine Cooper (1980); editor of Family matters: perspectives on the family and social policy (1983).
Born,1808, educated University of Edinburgh, from 1826, pupil, prosector and demonstrator, Old Surgeon's Hall, Edinburgh, under the anatomist Dr Robert Knox, 1828; surgeon, Edinburgh Royal Dispensary, 1831-1836; surgeon, Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh, 1836-1840; Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 1829; Fellow, Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1836; appointed Professor of Surgery, King's College London, and surgeon, King's College Hospital, 1840, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1840, Fellow, 1844, Vice-President, 1869, President, 1870, Hunterian Orator, 1871; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1848, President of the British Medical Association, 1873; Surgeon in Ordinary to Albert, Prince Consort of Queen Victoria, 1849; Surgeon Extraordinary to Queen Victoria, 1855; Sergeant Surgeon, 1867; resigned as Professor of Surgery, King's College, 1870; died, 1877.
Publications: Case of aneurism of the insominata (Edinburgh, 1841); Account of the dissection of a patient in whom the subclavian artery had been tied for axillary aneurism (Edinburgh, 1841); A system of practical surgery (Edinburgh, 1841); The introductory lecture delivered at King's College, London, on opening the medical session of 1848-49 (London, 1848); Lectures on the progress of anatomy and surgery during the present century (London and Edinburgh, 1867); The Hunterian Oration for 1871 (London, 1871).
Born, 1858, attended King's College School, 1874-1877; student in the Medical Department of King's College London from 1877; Associate of King's College, 1889, qualifying in 1890; studied under Joseph Lister, Professor of Clinical Surgery at King's College; probably a Senior Dresser under Jeremiah Penny, House Surgeon at King's, 1890; died, 1950.
John Vivian Dacie was born on 20th July 1912 in Putney, London; educated at King's College School; attended King's College London Faculty of Medical Science, King's College Hospital, and qualified in medicine in 1935; became a member of the Royal College of Physicians, 1936; licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians of London, 1935; Member of the Royal College of Surgeons, 1935 and a Reader in Haematology. After a year in the pathology department at King's College Hospital, Dacie took his first research post at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, at Hammersmith Hospital, London, to study haemolytic anaemia. He then moved to Manchester Royal Infirmary where he investigated a patient with paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria, a rare chronic haemolytic anaemia; this began his interest in the illness. In 1937, he spent 6 months working with Dame Janet Vaughan at the British Postgraduate School, Hammersmith Hospital.
During World War Two, Dacie served as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Army Medical Corps (Emergency Medical Service), working as a pathologist, 1939-1942; Dacie found that injured troops, who had lost a lot of blood on the battleground, did better when given plasma rather than whole blood and he devised more effective blood-transfusion methods for field hospitals for the Royal Army Medical Corps, 1943-1946. After the war, he became Senior Lecturer in Haematology in the Department of Clinical Pathology at the Postgraduate Medical School (which later became the Royal Postgraduate Medical School of London), the only institution in the UK at that time devoted to clinical academic medicine.
Dacie was appointed the first Professor of Haematology in the United Kingdom, at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, 1956; pioneered the laboratory investigation of hemolytic anaemia; developed a remarkable expertise in the laboratory diagnosis of the leukaemias; wrote 180 scientific papers; founded the Leukaemia Research Fund, 1960; elected a Fellow of the Royal Society, 1967; knighted, 1976; President of the Royal College of Pathologists, 1973-1975, President of the Royal Society of Medicine, 1977; founder and editor of the British Journal of Haematology and retired in 1977. He died in 2005.
Publications: Dacie and Lewis practical haematology (Churchill Livingstone, London, 2001); The Haemolytic anaemias: congenital and acquired (J & A Churchill Ltd, London, 1954); The Haemolytic anaemias part 1: the congenital anaemias (Churchill, 1960); The haemolytic anaemias part 2 (Churchill, 1963); Haemolytic anaemias part 3 (Churchill, 1967); Haemolytic anaemias part 4 (Churchill, 1967); The hereditary haemolytic anaemias : the Davidson Lecture delivered on Friday, January 13th, 1967 at the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh by J.V. Dacie (Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, 1967); British Medical Bulletin v.11, no. 1, 1955 'Blood Coagulation and thrombosis Hormones in Reproduction', Scientific editor: J. V. Dacie (Medical Department, British Council, London, 1955).
Registers were created by the staff of King's College Hospital in the conduct of their business. Also includes indexes of Belgrave Hospital for Children and the Royal Eye Hospital which joined King's College Hospital Group in 1948, and Dulwich Hospital which joined in 1963.
In 1904 an Act of Parliament was obtained to remove King's College Hospital from Portugal Street to Denmark Hill in South London. The move was managed by a Removal Fund, and a Building Committee was elected in 1904. Special committees and sub-committees were also established to deal with the move.