Between 1831 and 1988 the College Secretary rose from Secretary to the Principal and Council to senior administrative officer of the College. Throughout the period the College Secretary had responsibility for servicing the Council, its main standing and special subcommittees, and the Academic Board. In the 1960s, the post of Academic Registrar was reorganised to reflect the coordinated responsibility for student admission and examinations with the Department. Between 1828-1919 King's College enjoyed the services of just four College Secretaries, two of whom served for remarkably long periods, H W Smith, 1829-1848 and J W Cunningham, 1848-1894. The out-letter books form one complete run of copies of letters sent by or on behalf of the Principal and College Secretary for the period 1834-1917. Initially in the form of manuscript copies, by the late nineteenth century experiments (not always entirely successful in terms of legibility) were made with a variety of wet letter processes.
The General Board was a committee of representatives of the teaching staff that was officially recognised by the Council in 1870. The General Board was chaired by the Principal and comprised the most senior representatives of each department or faculty board, who were styled Deans. The purpose of the General Board was to guide educational policy and provision in areas such as syllabuses and examinations, and was answerable to the College Council. In 1910, the General Board was renamed the Professorial Board of the University of London, King's College. This followed the King's College London (Transfer) Act of 1908 that had incorporated King's in the University of London, separated and made independent of the College, the Hospital and School, and legally divided the remaining departments into two institutions: a secular University of London, King's College, and the Theological Faculty, heir to the title of King's College London. During this period of division until 1980, both institutions retained separate Professorial Boards. The reunification of the two halves of King's in 1980 witnessed the restructuring of these Professorial Boards as a single Academic Board, constituting the main academic committee of the College.
The Faculty of Science was originally founded in 1893, and evolved into the Division of Natural Science, which became the Faculty of Natural Science in 1923. The faculty was eventually closed in 1985 and its constituent departments and successors now fall mainly under the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering and the School of Life and Health Sciences.
The Dean has exercised a central pastoral function within King's College since the reorganisation that took place following the King's College London (Transfer) Act of 1908. This incorporated King's into the University of London and legally separated the Theological Department from the secular component of King's. The position of Dean was created as the head of the theological King's College London, although he also exercised pastoral responsibility in the secular University of London, King's College. The office was temporarily combined with that of Principal under Arthur Headlam until 1913, when they were separated. The Dean has always been an ordained minister elected by the Council and responsible for the spiritual welfare of students and staff. For most of this period he also undertook the supervision of potential ordinands for the Church of England, but this ceased shortly before the reunification of the two halves of King's, which was completed in 1980. The Dean's office continues to undertake pastoral duties, to run the Chaplaincy and College Choir, and to administer the Associateship of King's College (AKC) programme.
Nicodemus Pankratien copied Compendium Physicæ theoreticoexperimentalis, in usum auditorum concinnatum, 1773 by Johann David Lembke (fl 1740) who wrote several publications including Dissertatio inauguralis de discrimine obligationis, et ab eo pendente ordine, alimentorum iure sanguinis praestandorum, 1755.
The Library at King's College was established in 1831 and at first comprised a General Library of mainly common reference works on science, law, literature and theology, which was located next to the College Chapel. A separate Medical Library was also established which was only accessible to medical students. During the course of time, semi-autonomous subject or departmental libraries grew up located close to their relevant departments, particularly in the arts and humanities, containing less general and more specific subject titles. These, however, remained under the overall responsibility of the College Librarian. The General Library was augmented from time to time by major bequests and gifts, such as that made by William Marsden in 1835; some of Marsden’s books were later transferred to the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) and the School of Slavonic and Eastern European Studies (SSEES) as part of a University of London-wide library re-organisation (King’s received books from the former library of the London Institution in exchange). An important bequest was made by Sir Charles Wheatstone in 1875, and these additions at first remained discrete named collections occupying their own space within the College Library. Total holdings in the General Library were approximately 50,000 by 1958, with 90,000 in the subject or departmental libraries. By 1970, this had grown to 275,000 books in total. Shortage of space was temporarily alleviated with the relocation of a number of libraries to the new Strand Building when it was opened during the 1970s, a period during which individual departmental collections were integrated (exceptions included the Music Library). The merger of King's with Chelsea and Queen Elizabeth Colleges in 1985, added further library space, particularly at Manresa Road in Chelsea, at which was also located the College's Rare Books and Special Collections until the closure of the Chelsea campus, when it was moved to the College's Hampstead site. The merger of King's with the United Medical and Dental Schools (UMDS) in 1998 further added to the Library's holdings of medical books, while its traditional strength in theological literature was enhanced considerably by the acquisition in 1996 of the 65,000 book and journal Sion College Library. The purchase of the leasehold on the former Public Record Office building in Chancery Lane from 2001 allowed for the bringing together under one roof of the Old Library, Embankment, Humanities, Music and Special Collections libraries. These are focused on the humanities, including music, law and the physical sciences and engineering. South of the River, the Franklin-Wilkins Library caters for medical, nursing and midwifery students and students of the biological sciences, management and education. The libraries at Denmark Hill concentrate on medicine, social policy, mental health and health care policy, and those at Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals on the teaching of medicine in general. The Library is now part of the division of Information Services and Systems (ISS) which also includes Computing and Information Technology and Archive Services. The latter includes the Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives, which was founded in 1964 and which built upon the College's reputation in the field of Military and War Studies.
The Office of the Principal supports the academic and administrative work of the College's chief officer. Ronald Montagu Burrows was Principal of King's from 1913 until 1920, following a distinguished career as Professor of Greek at University College, Cardiff (1898-1908) and the University of Manchester (1908-1913).
The Registry is responsible for the organisation and audit of academic and educational provision throughout the College, most notably in overseeing examinations and academic assessment exercises, and by way of organising ceremonies and graduations. Recently, the Registry has become a sub-section of the Office of the College Secretary and Registrar that has responsibility for servicing the Council, its main standing and special committees, and the Academic Board.
Between 1831 and 1988 the College Secretary rose from Secretary to the Principal and Council to senior administrative officer of the College. Throughout the period the College Secretary had responsibility for servicing the Council, its main standing and special subcommittees, and the Academic Board. In the 1960s, the post of Academic Registrar was reorganised to reflect the coordinated responsibility for student admission and examinations with the Department.
Between 1831 and 1988 the College Secretary rose from Secretary to the Principal and Council to senior administrative officer of the College. Throughout the period the College Secretary had responsibility for servicing the Council, its main standing and special subcommittees, and the Academic Board. In the 1960s, the post of Academic Registrar was reorganised to reflect the coordinated responsibility for student admission and examinations with the Department.
Between 1831 and 1988 the College Secretary rose from Secretary to the Principal and Council to senior administrative officer of the College. Throughout the period the College Secretary had responsibility for servicing the Council, its main standing and special subcommittees, and the Academic Board. In the 1960s, the post of Academic Registrar was reorganised to reflect the coordinated responsibility for student admission and examinations with the Department. From 1828-1909 the Council was the College's governing and executive body, exercising the powers of the College as provided in the Charter or Statutes. The King's College London (Transfer) Act 1908 incorporated the college into the University of London, and the Delegacy became the governing body of King's College. The Council thereafter governed the Theological Department only, which was separately administered from the rest of the College. The Delegacy was a committee of the Senate of the University of London, which had to ratify all major decisions. By the Royal Charter of 1980, King's College London was reconstituted, merging the Theological Department with the Faculty of Theology and the Council again became the governing body for the whole College. Between 1909-1980 the Court, as the financial board of the University of London, controlled the finances of the College through the custody, control and disposition of all property, funds and investments. The Academic Board advises the Council on all academic matters. The Professorial Board became known as the Academic Board in 1980.
Adam International Review was a literary magazine published in English and French, its title an acronym for Arts, Drama, Architecture and Music. The original periodical Adam, founded in 1929 in Bucharest, was by 1938 edited by Miron Grindea (born in Romania, 1909, d 1995). Educated at Bucharest University and the Sorbonne, he worked in Romania and Paris as a music and literary critic during the 1930s, and he and his wife Carola, a pianist, were members of Romania's artistic avant-garde. They settled in London in 1939, and in 1941 the first London issue (no 152), known as Adam International Review, appeared, including contributions from H G Wells, G B Shaw, Thomas Mann and Cecil Day-Lewis. However, wartime paper rationing caused the cessation of publication. The review reappeared in 1946. It provided a vehicle for expression for many literati exiled from Nazi Europe. A number of contributors were Jews in exile. It covered literature, art and music, publishing English and French writers and translations of work by other European authors. Some issues dealt with a single subject and usually contained new material. Many contributions were secured without payment to the authors. Adam was subsidised at different times by various bodies, including the Arts Council. Numbers 455-467 (1985) were published in collaboration with King's College London. From 1985 an annual Adam lecture was held at King's College to mark its acquisition of the Adam archive. The magazine celebrated 500 issues in 1989. Grindea was awarded Prix de l'Academie Francaise, 1955, Lundquist Literary Prize, Sweden, 1965, Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur, 1974, the MBE in 1977, the OBE in 1986, and an Honorary DLitt degree from Kent, 1983, and was Commander, Order of Arts and Letters, France, 1985. In 1990 BBC2's Bookmark devoted a special programme to him. Grindea's own publications include Malta Calling (1943); Henry Wood, a symposium (1944); Jerusalem, a literary chronicle of 3000 years (1968), 2nd edition Jerusalem, the Holy City in literature, preface by Graham Greene (1982); Natalie Clifford Barney (1963); The London Library, a symposium (1978); and contributions to many periodicals and newspapers.
King's College Hospital case notes of patients were compiled under the names of doctors.
Queen Elizabeth College had its origins in the Ladies' (later Women's) Department of King's College London, opened in Kensington in 1885, later King's College for Women. Home Science and Economics classes started in 1908. In 1915 the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women opened at Campden Hill, Kensington, while other departments were amalgamated with King's College on the Strand site. In 1928 the department became completely independent as King's College of Household and Social Science and the title King's College for Women was extinguished. The buildings were completed in 1930. The College had a pioneering role in establishing nutritional science as a subject of academic scholarship and John Yudkin was a Professor from 1945 to 1971. A Royal Charter was granted in 1953, the name changed to Queen Elizabeth College, men were admitted, and the existing degree was replaced with BSc (Nutrition) and BSc (Household Science). Recognition as a School of the University of London in the Faculty of Science was granted in 1956. The BSc (General) began in 1957. Following financial difficulties the amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.
Physiotherapy provision was available at King's College Hospital and later academic instruction was devolved to the Centre for Physiotherapy Research under the Department of Physiology. A Department of Physiotherapy was formed in 1989, part of the Biomedical Sciences Division of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences, and a Division of Physiotherapy created in 1998, part of the School of Biomedical Sciences, itself the product of the merger of the Biomedical Sciences Division at King's and the Basic Medical Sciences Division at UMDS (United Medical and Dental Schools).
The Joint Senior Common Room was established in 1957 to provide a social centre for male and female academic and related staff of King's College London.
Anatomy classes were first taught in the Medical Department of King's from 1831. This department became the Faculty of Medicine in 1892, and from 1905 was known as the Medical Division, which formed part of the Faculty of Science. The Faculty of Medical Science was created in 1921 and two years later the Department of Anatomy was formed within it. Anatomy and Anthropology were also taught under the Faculty of Natural Science. After the merger of King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry with King's College Medical School in 1983 the Faculty of Medical Science became known as the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences. From 1985 the Anatomy Department was called Anatomy and Human Biology, and in 1989 it became part of the Biomedical Sciences Division under the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences. The department is now known as the Division of Anatomy, Cell and Human Biology, and is part of the GKT (Guy's, King's and St Thomas') School of Biomedical Sciences formed in 1998 from the Biomedical Sciences and the Basic Medical Sciences Divisions at UMDS (United Dental and Medical Schools).
Anatomy classes were first taught in the Medical Department of King's from 1831. This department became the Faculty of Medicine in 1892, and from 1905 was known as the Medical Division, which formed part of the Faculty of Science. The Faculty of Medical Science was created in 1921 and two years later the Department of Anatomy was formed within it. Anatomy and Anthropology were also taught under the Faculty of Natural Science. After the merger of King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry with King's College Medical School in 1983 the Faculty of Medical Science became known as the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences. From 1985 the Anatomy Department was called Anatomy and Human Biology, and in 1989 it became part of the Biomedical Sciences Division under the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences. The department is now known as the Division of Anatomy, Cell and Human Biology, and is part of the GKT (Guy's, King's and St Thomas') School of Biomedical Sciences formed in 1998 from the Biomedical Sciences and the Basic Medical Sciences Divisions at UMDS (United Medical and Dental Schools).
A School of Biological Sciences was formed at King's in 1964 in order to coordinate the efforts of biology-related departments in both the Faculties of Medicine and Natural Science, namely Biochemistry, Biophysics, Botany, Physiology, and Zoology and Animal Biology. The first Professor of Biology was Emmeline Jean Hanson, appointed in 1966, but a unified Department of Biology only emerged following the tripartite merger of King's, Queen Elizabeth and Chelsea Colleges in 1985. The department was part of the Faculty of Life Sciences, and from 1991, successively part of the Biosphere and Life Sciences Divisions of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences. Following the reorganisation of 1998, aspects of the teaching of biology were divided between the School of Health and Life Sciences and the School of Biomedical Sciences.
Biochemistry formed part of the Department of Physiology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry and Histology in the Faculty of Medicine from 1925. This changed its name to the Department of Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology in 1937. Biochemistry became a discrete department in 1958 and was incorporated into the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences in King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry in 1983, the Faculty of Science in 1985, the Faculty of Life Sciences, 1986, and the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences in 1989. It now forms part of the Division of Life Sciences within the School of Health and Life Sciences.
Biochemistry formed part of the Department of Physiology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry and Histology in the Faculty of Medicine from 1925. This changed its name to the Department of Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology in 1937. Biochemistry became a discreet department in 1958 and was incorporated into the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences in King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry in 1983, the Faculty of Science in 1985, the Faculty of Life Sciences, 1986, and the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences in 1989. It now forms part of the Division of Life Sciences within the School of Health and Life Sciences.
The Modern Greek Department was established in 1919, when the Koraes Chair was inaugurated following a subscription campaign and a grant from the Greek Government, and named in honour of Adamantios Koraes (1748-1833), the scholar and advocate of Greek national independence. The Department became known as the Department of Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies in 1972, and since 1989 has been part of the School of Humanities.
The Biomedical Sciences Division formed part of the Faculty of Life Sciences, which later became the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences. It is now known as the GKT (Guy's, King's and St Thomas') School of Biomedical Sciences, formed in 1998 from the Biomedical Sciences and the Basic Medical Sciences Divisions at UMDS (United Medical and Dental Schools).
Botany has been taught at King's from 1831 and was part of the Department of General Literature and Science, and also the Evening Class Department from 1861. Lessons in Botany and Practical Biology became available for Medical Department students during the 1880s. Botany and Vegetable/Plant Biology was principally part of the Natural Science Division of the Faculty of Science from 1893, though instruction also continued for students of the Medical Division. It was incorporated into the School of Biological Studies, formed in 1964, that also comprised the departments of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Physiology, and Zoology and Animal Biology. This prevailed until the merger in 1985, when Botany/Plant Sciences was absorbed within an enlarged Department of Biology, itself part of the Faculty of Life Sciences, and, from 1989, successively part of the Biosphere and Life Sciences Divisions of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences. Since 1998 it has been part of the Division of Life Sciences in the School of Health and Life Sciences.
Chemistry was first taught by Professor John Frederick Daniell in the Senior Department and the Medical Department of King's from the opening of the College in 1831. The first Chemical Laboratory was founded a few years later in 1834. Daniell remained at King's until 1845 and in 1846 the Daniell Scholarship was founded in his honour. The subject has always encompassed many departments. When the Senior Department was split into two separate sections; Civil Engineering and Mining in 1838 and General Literature and Science in 1840, Chemistry was taught under both. These sections became the Department of General Literature and Science and the Department of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 1847-1848. Chemistry was also taught in Evening Classes, which were begun in 1848. In 1888 the Department of Science was formed from General Literature and Science. This became the Faculty of Science in 1893. That same year the Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences was created as part of the Faculty of Science. A separate Faculty of Engineering was later formed in 1902-1903. In 1905 the Faculty of Science was split into the Natural Science and Medical Science Divisions with Chemistry taught under both divisions. These divisions became the Faculties of Medical Science and Natural Science in 1921 and 1923 respectively. From 1961 the Chemistry Department came solely under the under the Faculty of Natural Science, although the subject continued to make up components of other courses. In 1985 after the merger of King's with Queen Elizabeth and Chelsea Colleges, the department became part of the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, currently the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering.
King's College London Department of Computer Science was established in 1984 as part of the Faculty of Natural Science when it transferred from Westfield College. After the merger with Chelsea College and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985, it formed part of the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, currently known as the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering.
Courses in English Literature and History were provided in the Senior Department at King's College from 1831 and shortly afterwards became part of the Department of General Literature and Science. English and History were separated in 1855, when classes in English Language and Literature became available. A Department of English was formed in 1922/23, remaining part of the Faculty of Arts until the School of Humanities was created in 1989.
Evening classes in subjects as diverse as English, History, Divinity, Drawing, French, Mathematics and Chemistry commenced at King's College in 1848. Teaching remained the responsibility of the separate faculties to which classes were appended administratively, until around 1907 when a distinct department emerged covering all evening class education at King's College. The department was discontinued upon the outbreak of war in 1939, although some few classes were transferred to Birkbeck College.
Instruction in French Literature and Language commenced with other teaching in the Senior Department at King's in 1831. It became part of the Department of General Literature and Science and later part of the Faculty of Arts in 1893 and School of Humanities in 1989. Courses encompass French language, history, literature, philosophy and most notably, romance philology from 1902 .The department also contributes to the interdisciplinary European Studies BA.
German has been taught at King's since the opening of the Senior Department in 1831, later coming under the Department of General Literature and Science. The Department of German was formerly part of the Faculty of Arts, and, since 1989, the School of Humanities.
Physical geography, imperial geography, and history and geography, were subjects taught in the Department of General Literature and Science and the Evening Studies Department at King's from the 1850s. A chair in geography was established in 1863. The department became part of the Faculty of Arts in 1893, and the subject taught under an intercollegiate arrangement with the London School of Economics from 1922, becoming known as the Joint School of Geography from 1949. The department was part of the School of Humanities from 1989 and in 2001 merged with the Geography Department of the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) and became part of the new School of Social Science and Public Policy.
The first Professor of Mineralogy and Geology at King's College London was Charles Lyell, who resigned in 1833 in response to criticism that his lectures undermined accepted biblical chronology. The subject was taught under the various titles of Geology and Mining, Geology, Palaeontology and Mining, and Geology and Geography, with Mineralogy, in the Departments of Applied Sciences, Evening Classes and the Faculty of Science, Natural Science Division, from 1893. The Department of Geology was part of the Faculty of Natural Science from its inception in 1921 until the merger of King's, Queen Elizabeth and Chelsea Colleges in 1985, when the teaching of geology was discontinued and transferred to Royal Holloway College.
The Department of General Literature and Science came into being in 1839 in response to the need for a greater differentiation of the syllabus for students of the Senior Department at King's College London. As its name suggests, it constituted a broad faculty or grouping of subjects and classes that provided a core liberal syllabus in the arts and sciences available to all students of King's, including Medical students. Principal subjects included English Literature, Theology, Modern History, Classics, Modern Languages and Mathematics, but later instruction covered subjects as diverse as Geology, Law, Political Economy and Oriental Languages. The division between General Literature and Science Departments, that took place in 1888, foreshadowed the replacement of General Literature by the new Faculty of Arts in 1893.
Courses in English Literature and Modern History were provided in the Senior Department from 1831 and in the Department of General Literature and Science shortly afterwards. English and History were separated in 1855. The installation of Samuel Rawson Gardiner as first Professor in 1876 marked the beginning of a focus in the department on the political and constitutional history of Tudor and Stuart England. The department underwent considerable enlargement in staff and in the breadth of its teaching from around 1912 under Professor Fossey John Cobb Hearnshaw, especially with the establishment of the Rhodes Chair of Imperial History in 1919. The department became part of the Faculty of Arts in 1893 and the School of Humanities in 1989.
The University of London ran courses in journalism from around 1923. Study comprised a two-year diploma programme initially available at four participating institutions: University College, Bedford College, the London School of Economics and King's College, and comprising classes in practical journalism, composition, modern history and English Literature. Teaching was concentrated at King's College from 1935 under the directorship of Tom Clarke, former editor of the News chronicle, and teachers included Hugh Todd Naylor Gaitskell, lecturer in Political Economy at University College and the future Chancellor of the Exchequer. The course was suspended on the outbreak of war in September 1939 and never reinstated.
Mathematics has been taught at King's since it first opened in 1831. It initially was part of the Senior Department and the Department of General Literature and Science and then became part of the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Science from 1893, the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences from 1986, the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences from 1991, and the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering from 1992.
Vocal music was a subject taught in the Department of General Literature and Science between 1843 and 1915. Music was an externally examined subject within the University of London from around 1900 until the University of London King Edward Chair was converted into a full-time professorship based at King's College in a new Faculty of Music in 1964. The Faculty of Arts and Music was created in 1986 which became a part of the School of Humanities in 1989.
Instruction in mental philosophy was provided with the appointment of a lecturer at King's in 1868. A chair in Logic and Moral Philosophy was created in 1877 occupied by the Rev Henry William Watkins, with classes available in both the Department of General Literature and Science, and the Theology Department. This changed its title to Logic and Mental Philosophy around 1891, then to Mental and Moral philosophy in 1903, classes that endured until 1906 when a department of Philosophy and Psychology came into being. The two subjects were separated in 1912 and Philosophy remained part of the Faculty of Arts until the reorganisation of 1989 when it became part of the School of Humanities.
Throughout the 1990s, Public Health and Epidemiology was part of the Division of Community-based Clinical Subjects in the Faculty of Medicine within the School of Medicine and Dentistry. Following the merger of King's with the United Medical and Dental Schools in 1998, teaching was devolved to the Department of Public Health Medicine in the Division of Primary Care and Public Health Sciences in the Guy's, King's and St Thomas's (GKT) School of Medicine.
The Department of Physiology was formerly part of the Faculty of Medical Science. After the merger of King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry with King's College Medical School in 1983, it was split off into the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences. The Department merged with those of Chelsea College and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985 and the faculties joined to create the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences in 1991. The School was made up of separate divisions, including the Biomedical Sciences Division of which Physiology was a part. It is now the Division of Physiology, part of the GKT (Guy's King's and St Thomas') School of Biomedical Sciences which was formed in 1998 from the Biomedical Sciences and the Basic Medical Sciences divisions at UMDS (United Medical and Dental Schools).
The Department of Physiology was formerly part of the Faculty of Medical Science. After the merger of King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry with King's College Medical School in 1983 it was split off into the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences. The Department merged with those of Chelsea College and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985 and the faculties joined to create the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences in 1989. The School was made up of separate divisions, including the Biomedical Sciences Division of which Physiology was a part. It is now the Division of Physiology, part of the GKT (Guy's King's and St Thomas') School of Biomedical Sciences that was formed in 1998 from the Biomedical Sciences and the Basic Medical Sciences Divisions at UMDS (United Medical and Dental Schools).
The Department of History and Philosophy of Religion was formerly part of the Faculty of Theology. Subjects covered by this department included the Philosophy of Religion, Christian Ethics and the Study of Religion. These formed components of both the undergraduate BD and BA courses as well as the postgraduate MTh, MPhil and PhD degrees. These subjects continue to be taught, but the department has now been amalgamated into the Department of Theology and Religious Studies, which is itself part of the School of Humanities.
Physiotherapy provision was available at King's College Hospital and later academic instruction was devolved to the Centre for Physiotherapy Research under the Department of Physiology. The Physiotherapy Department was formed in 1989, part of the Biomedical Sciences Division of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences, to become one of the first academic departments of Physiotherapy in England. In 1998 a Division of Physiotherapy was formed, part of the School of Biomedical Sciences, itself the product of the merger of the Biomedical Sciences Division at King's and the Basic Medical Sciences Division at UMDS (United Medical and Dental Schools). The Centre for Physiotherapy Research carried out various research projects, including the The Role for Physiotherapy in the Care of Adults with Learning Difficulties (Mental Handicap) study. The study surveyed physiotherapists to gain a national picture of physiotherapy services for adults with learning difficulties.
Physiotherapy provision was available at King's College Hospital and later academic instruction was devolved to the Centre for Physiotherapy Research under the Department of Physiology. The Physiotherapy Department was formed in 1989, part of the Biomedical Sciences Division of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences, to become one of the first academic departments of Physiotherapy in England. In 1998 a Division of Physiotherapy was formed, part of the School of Biomedical Sciences, itself the product of the merger of the Biomedical Sciences Division at King's and the Basic Medical Sciences Division at UMDS (United Medical and Dental Schools). The Centre for Physiotherapy Research carried out a series of national surveys under the auspices of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy due to concerns about safety of physiotherapy equipment. The first survey in 1986 examined Health Authorities; the second in 1987, private practioners. The second survey covered equipment owned by one-in-ten of the members of the Organisation of Chartered Physiotherapists in Private Practices, (OCPPP). In 1989 a follow-up survey was carried out to research the electrotherapy equipment bought and discarded by the physiotherapy practitioners, surveyed in the orginal survey, from 1987-1989.
Instruction in physics began in 1831 in the form of lectures in natural and experimental philosophy delivered to students in the Senior Department, from 1839 the Department of General Literature and Science and later the Department of Applied Sciences. Natural and experimental divisions were separated in 1834 when Charles Wheatstone was appointed Professor of Experimental Philosophy, a post he occupied until his death in 1875. Classes in natural philosophy were available to Evening Class students and students of the Medical Faculty and Faculty of Engineering, but the Physics Department properly became part of the Faculty of Science in 1893. In 1923 Physics became part of the Faculty of Natural Science, which later formed part of the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences. This became the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering in 1991. Charles Wheatstone, responsible for pioneering experiments in the fields of electric telegraphy, batteries, harmonics and optics, upon his death bequeathed an extensive collection of scientific instruments and equipment to the College to form the Wheatstone Laboratory, one of the earliest physical laboratories in the country. Other notables include James Clerk Maxwell, pioneer in the study of electromagnetism, who was Professor of Natural Philosophy, 1860-1865; Charles Glover Barkla, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1909-1914, who whilst at the University of Edinburgh was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1917 for work on X-rays; Sir Owen Richardson, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1914-1922, awarded a Nobel Prize for Physics in 1928 for prior work on thermionics undertaken at the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge; Sir Edward Appleton, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1924-1936, who conducted experiments on the interaction of radio waves with the earth's atmosphere at the Strand and at the College's Halley Stewart Laboratories, Hampstead, for which he was subsequently awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1947, whilst employed by the British Government's Department of Scientific and Industrial Research; and Maurice Hugh Frederick Wilkins, Deputy Director of the Medical Research Council Biophysics Research Unit, later the Department of Biophysics, King's College London, 1955, whose work on the structure of the DNA molecule was rewarded with the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1962.
Instruction in physics began in 1831 in the form of lectures in natural and experimental philosophy delivered to students in the Senior Department, from 1839 the Department of General Literature and Science and later the Department of Applied Sciences. Natural and experimental divisions were separated in 1834 when Charles Wheatstone was appointed Professor of Experimental Philosophy, a post he occupied until his death in 1875. Classes in natural philosophy were available to Evening Class students and students of the Medical Faculty and Faculty of Engineering, but the Physics Department properly became part of the Faculty of Science in 1893. In 1923 Physics became part of the Faculty of Natural Science, which later formed part of the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences. This became the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering in 1991. Charles Wheatstone, responsible for pioneering experiments in the fields of electric telegraphy, batteries, harmonics and optics, upon his death bequeathed an extensive collection of scientific instruments and equipment to the College to form the Wheatstone Laboratory, one of the earliest physical laboratories in the country. Other notables include James Clerk Maxwell, pioneer in the study of electromagnetism, who was Professor of Natural Philosophy, 1860-1865; Charles Glover Barkla, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1909-1914, who whilst at the University of Edinburgh was awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1917 for work on X-rays; Sir Owen Richardson, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1914-1922, awarded a Nobel Prize for Physics in 1928 for prior work on thermionics undertaken at the Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge; Sir Edward Appleton, Wheatstone Professor of Physics, 1924-1936, who conducted experiments on the interaction of radio waves with the earth's atmosphere at the Strand and at the College's Halley Stewart Laboratories, Hampstead, for which he was subsequently awarded the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1947, whilst employed by the British Government's Department of Scientific and Industrial Research; and Maurice Hugh Frederick Wilkins, Deputy Director of the Medical Research Council Biophysics Research Unit, later the Department of Biophysics, King's College London, 1955, whose work on the structure of the DNA molecule was rewarded with the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1962.
Spanish was taught at King's College from 1831, initially as a course in the Senior Department and then the Department of General Literature and Science, then as a Faculty of Arts course until 1923/4, when it became recognised in its own right as the Spanish Studies Department. In 1973, the department changed its title to the Spanish and Spanish-American Studies Department in recognition of a broadening Latin American syllabus, and has been part of the School of Humanities since 1989.
A department of Military Science existed from 1848-1859. Military Science was subsequently approved as a subject for the BA and BSc general degrees from 1913, and was taught under the Faculty of Arts and also the Faculty of Engineering. The Military Studies Department was established in 1926 and formed part of the Faculty of Arts. It became known as the War Studies Department in 1943 and was discontinued in 1948, although the subject continued to be taught under the Department of Medieval and Modern History. The Department was then reinstated in 1962 to offer postgraduate courses. A BA degree in War Studies was offered from 1992 onwards. The department became part of the School of Humanities in 1989 and the School of Social Science and Public Policy in 2001.