Mostrando 15888 resultados

Registro de autoridad
King's College Hospital

Title deeds relate to property owned by King's College Hospital in the Lincoln's Inn area of London and at Denmark Hill, Lambeth, Surrey. The Hospital also leased land and buildings. As the Hospital progressed and expanded, more legal transactions occurred. It also benefited from the receipt of wills and legacies. Some King's College Hospital deeds were released to the custody of the College Solicitor in 1996, for delivery to the National Health Service Trust's solicitors.

The Thrombosis Research Unit was established in 1965, with a remit to undertake a clinical research programme devoted to the study of thrombosis in patients following surgery. In 1975 the Unit expanded and was given new laboratory space. In 1985 it was decided to expand the activities of the Unit into a new Thrombosis Research Institute, the first of its kind in Europe, a multidisciplinary organisation devoted to basic and clinical research in thrombosis and atheroma.

The Medical School Library was founded in 1839, when the first King's College Hospital was opened in Portugal Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London. Apart from an early Report Book covering the years 1839-1852, few records refer to it until 1946. During World War Two, the upkeep of the Library had been unavoidably neglected. A Library Sub-committee was elected in 1945 and the next year a new appointment was made, that of a full-time Librarian.

Kings College Hospital , Medical School

King's College Hospital was opened in 1840. In 1908 the King's College London (Transfer) Act was passed, its provisions coming into force on 1 September 1909. By this Act, King's College London was incorporated in the University of London while the government of the Hospital was separated from that of the College. The Committee of Management took over the School of Advanced Medical Studies, bringing into existence King's College Hospital Medical School, while the Faculty of Medical Science remained at the College. Henceforth, the College provided pre-clinical training only, and the King's College Hospital Medical School provided clinical training. Also under this Act, the King's College Hospital Medical School obtained recognition from, and was constituted as, a School of Medicine in the University of London. From that time until 1948, the government of the Medical School remained the responsibility of the Committee of Management of the Hospital, which was assisted by three Statutory Committees: the Medical Board, the Medical School Committee and the General Board of Teachers. In 1923, it was decided by the Delegacy of King's College and by the Committee of Management of the Hospital, to establish a School of Dental Surgery in connection with, and as part of, the Medical School. In 1948, under the provisions of the National Health Service Act 1946, the Medical School became disassociated with King's College Hospital. The Hospital came under the control of the Ministry of Health and the Medical School became part of the University of London. The Medical School now had its own governing body, the Council of the Medical School on which there were representatives of the Board of Governors of the King's Group, King's College London, the University of London and the Medical School's Academic Board. In 1983 King's College Hospital Medical School was reunited with the College to form King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry. The United Medical and Dental Schools (UMDS) of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals merged with King's College London in 1998, creating the Guy's, King's and St Thomas's School of Medicine.

When the first reorganisation of the National Health Service took place in April 1974, Hospital Groups were replaced by Health Districts grouped under Area Health Authorities, which were responsible to Regional Health Authorities. The King's Health District (Teaching) was formed as one of the four districts in the Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham Area Health Authority (Teaching). The other three districts were based on the catchment areas of Guy's, St Thomas' and Lewisham Hospital Groups.

When King's College Hospital opened in 1840, the Council of King's College London was also the governing body of the Hospital, with the right to appoint all medical staff. All members of the Council were ex-officio Governors of the Hospital, and the Council appointed two of its number to be members of the Hospital's Committee of Management. The Governors of the Hospital consisted mainly of major donors and subscribers. The Committee of Management undertook the daily administration of the Hospital and appointed lay officers including the Secretary. In July 1948 when the National Health Service Act (1946) came into operation, a Board of Governors took responsibility for the control and management of the King's College Hospital Group. When the first reorganisation of the National Health Service took place in April 1974, King's College Hospital Group was replaced by King's Health District (Teaching), and the Board of Governors were replaced by a District Management Team which included a District Administrator.

In 1908 all the King's College Hospital Clubs and Societies became amalgamated, and the Clubs and Societies Union of King's College Hospital Medical School was inaugurated. The Union was managed by a Council consisting of a President, a Treasurer, and an Honorary Secretary, and representatives of the honorary staff, resident medical officers, and students. The Union embraced the Listerian Society, the Dental Society, the Common Rooms, the Musical Society, the Athletic, the Cricket, Football, Lawn Tennis, Hockey, Swimming, Boxing, Squash, Golf, and Dance Clubs, and the Christian Union.

The Community Nursing Needs Assessment Project was undertaken in response to the NHS and Community Care Act 1990. The project dealt principally with the ability of health visitors and district nurses to meet the new legislative requirements when addressing the needs of their patients and to suggest modifications to nursing education based on the findings. The project was sponsored by the English National Board for Nursing and based at King's College London, conducted by the Department of Nursing Studies and led by Professor Sarah Cowley, Lecturer in Health Visiting. Other researchers on the project included Ann Bergen, lecturer, Kate Young, lecturer and Ann Kavanagh, research associate. The project consisted of three phases: phase one involved a series of eight focus groups made up of consumers (members of local support groups, carers and those with disabilities) , practitioners (district nurses and health visitors), managers (purchasers and providers) and educationalists (community practice teachers and lecturers). Phase two involved observing recently qualified district nurses and health workers with patients and clients and following up with an interview with the district nurse or health worker on needs assessment. Phase three involved discussing the findings and preliminary proposals with an expert panel made up from the various interest groups. The project ran from Mar 1994 to Jan 1996. The full project title is `An investigation into the changing educational needs of community nurses with regard to needs assessment and quality of care in the context of the NHS and Community Care Act 1990'.

`Nursing in Colorectal Cancer Initiative Project' (NICCI) a European Oncology Nursing Society's (EONS) study led by Professor Alison Richardson based at the Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwifery at King's College London and sponsored by Zeneca Pharmaceuticals. The project was a study of health professional practice in Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Switzerland, UK and USA and was designed to improve nursing for colorectal cancer patients by improving education, and reviewing the role of nurses by examining nurse communication, the involvement of patients and families in treatment and care, and successful delivery of chemotherapy. The project was made up of three phases: education, research and implementation. The first phase involved producing and reviewing an education pack for nurses dealing with colorectal cancer patients. The second phase involved defining the goals of nursing practice and carrying out an audit in the participating countries on current practices and areas for change. The final phase involved implementing the necessary changes identified in the initial two stages. NICCI produced an educational pack for nurses printed in six languages and a clinically researched tool for auditing the standards of nursing care for colorectal cancer. This tool is also translated and disseminated through the nursing network. The project ran from 1998-2001.
Publications: A Nurse's Guide to Colorectal Cancer, NICCI/AstraZeneca Oncology (2000).

The Parkside Project aimed to critically analyse the needs assessment process made by health visitors and to determine whether this process aided health promotion in families. It was a small exploratory study conducted over the period Jan 2000-Mar 2001, based at the Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwidfery at King's College London and was led by Sarah Cowley, Professor of Community Practise Development. The data for the project was collected through interviews with health visitors and clients in Parkside NHS Trust. 25 health visitors took part in a semi-structured telephone interview. 4 were selected to be observed on visits made to 3 contrasting families chosen by the health visiters. Following observation, in-depth interviews were conducted with the 4 health visiters and the 12 families. The full project title is `An exploration of the extent to which the health visitor assessment process in Parkside NHS Trust promotes the health of the families involved'.

King's College School was created as the Junior Department to King's College London, instituted by Royal Charter in 1829. Both College and School opened in 1831. Although students were not limited to members of the Church of England, its influence was strong. Boys were expected to transfer from the School to the College at the age of 16. The School's premises were in the basement of the King's College site east of Somerset House, between the Strand and the Thames. Rapid growth in pupil numbers and limited capital caused difficulties of accommodation. In the early years of their existence, the School was numerically greater than the College and the financial support which arose from its success was instrumental in the College's survival, although by mid-century competition from an increasing number of rival schools caused numbers to decline. Many rivals had more spacious premises and open space on suburban sites with which the Strand premises could not compete. In 1897 the School moved to Wimbledon and pupil numbers began to grow. New buildings were opened in 1899. The King's College London Transfer Act (1908) incorporated a new body of governors for the School and, although the transfer was delayed by the heavy debts of the School, the new governing body inherited control from the council of King's College in 1911. See also Frank Miles and Graeme Cranch, Kings College School: the First 150 Years (King's College School, 1979); F J C Hearnshaw, The Centenary History of King's College London 1828-1928 (George G Harrap & Co Ltd, London, 1929).

The King's College London Old Students' Association, founded in 1920, became the King's College London Association in 1952. The Association caters for alumni from King's College and the colleges with which it has merged. It organises social and other events, offers careers advice to students, and raises money for the College. Smaller groups reflect the interests of alumni in particular subjects or from particular countries. The Association produced magazines for alumni including, from 1987, the publication In Touch.

The King's College London Engineers' Association was established in 1920 as the Engineering Branch of the King's College Old Students' Association, the department dealing with alumni that evolved into the current King's College London Association (KCLA). The organisation is still very active and helps facilitate contact between past and present students and staff.

Department of Civil Engineering and Mining established at King's College London, 1838, and Engineering Society, 1847; begins reading of papers that average 12-20 a year on subjects including early photography, modern manufacturing methods, and in particular on bridges, tunnels, railways and other civil engineering projects, 1847; Society changes its name to King's College Scientific Society, 1854; Society dissolved, 1855; re-established as the Engineering Society by Professor Thomas Minchin Goodeve, 1857; increasing popularity and importance of the Society from around 1870; members during this period include Llewellyn Atkinson and Charles Henry Wordingham, each subsequently President of the Institution of Electrical Engineers; regular instructional works visits to engineering sites commence, 1886; occasional exhibitions begin, 1894; first annual dinner, 1895; lunch time debates initiated from [1906]; Old Students Section of the Engineering Society formed, 1919; first edition of The King's engineer, 1921-1922; relocation of Society with College to Bristol, 1939-1943; centenary celebrations, 1947; Society still active, 2001.

King's College London , Ladies Club

King's College London Ladies Club, founded in 1970 for female members of staff and wives of members of staff, aimed to promote social contact and provide a meeting place.

King's College London Maxwell Society

The Maxwell Society was founded around 1935 by Sir Edward Victor Appleton, Wheatstone Professor of Physics at the University of London, 1924-1936, and was named in honour of the pioneering physicist, James Clerk Maxwell, Professor of Natural Philosophy at King's College London, between 1860 and 1865. It was established to promote knowledge of physics among students of King's. Events included lectures delivered by staff at King's or by distinguished guest speakers on a wide variety of subjects including nuclear physics, ultrasonics, radiobiology, quantum dynamics and aspects of applied science including the development of the computer and television. Members also undertook study visits to research laboratories and technical and manufacturing facilities, and organised other, more occasional, events and social activities. The Society is still very active in arranging talks and other events.

The Strand School originated in the Evening Department of King's College London. The teaching of evening classes commenced there in 1848, but under Alfred Barry, Principal between 1868 and 1883, these were considerably extended to include several courses of an elementary or non-academic nature, including for example the Gilbart lectures on banking and evening workshop classes supported by the Clothworkers Company. In 1875 the government extended the range of the entry examination to the Civil Service and William Braginton set up private classes for those seeking entry into the lower grades. That year he suggested that a connection be established with King's College, allowing him to use rooms in the College and to benefit from its prestige. In the session 1875-1876, 172 young men were admitted and a Civil Service Department was established. At its peak in 1896-1897 it taught 1,533 young men, more than the total number of full-time academic students in King's College at that time. In 1881 agreement was reached that Braginton could also teach women aspirants for the Post Office and after a brief sojourn at Exeter Hall the women were taught in rooms of King's College School; they were to enter by the separate school entrance and be entirely cut off from King's College. In 1892 Braginton obtained permission to run a correspondence course and, more importantly, to establish day classes to prepare pupils wishing to compete for 'boy clerkships' and 'boy copyistships'. There being no more room in the College, premises were successively hired at no 4 Albion Place, Blackfriars Bridge, and then no 91A Waterloo Road. When King's College School moved to Wimbledon in 1897, the commercial school moved into the basement of King's College and became known as the Strand School. By this time the range of examinations for which pupils were prepared also included telegraph learners, excise and customs appointments, and assistant surveyorships. Braginton's pupils were very successful. In 1894 his pupils won 190 appointments out of 326 offered, in a field of 2,400 candidates. In 1895 they won 88 out of 125, in a field of 1,100. Now recognised as a high quality general commercial school, in 1900 London County Council (LCC) agreed that intermediate county scholarships could be held there. In 1905 it was also allowed to become a centre for the training of pupil teachers. In 1907, however, the Board of Education took the view that there was insufficient room for the school (then with 804 pupils) in the basement and threatened to withdraw its grants. The LCC undertook to provide new buildings in Brixton and in 1909 the government of the school was handed over to a committee on which the LCC was represented. It was a condition of the incorporation of King's College into the University of London, authorized by the King's College London Transfer Act of 1908, that the Civil Service classes for adults also be placed under separate control. Braginton agreed to make the necessary arrangements and in 1909 St George's College for women was established in Red Lion Square; St George's College for men was set up in Kingsway, numbering over a thousand students. Braginton jointly administered the two Colleges, resigning the Headmastership of the Strand School to be replaced by R B Henderson in 1910. Henderson supervised the school's move to Brixton in 1913. Strand School flourished for a number of years as a boys' grammar school and later merged with a nearby girls' school.

After the government extended the range of the entry examination to the Civil Service in 1875, William Braginton set up private classes for those seeking entry into the lower grades. A connection established with King's College allowed him to use rooms in the College. In the session 1875-1876, 172 young men were admitted and a Civil Service Department was established. In 1897 Braginton's school moved into the basement of King's College and became known as the Strand School. In 1909, following a commitment by London County Council to provide new premises in Brixton, government of the school was handed over to a committee. In 1910 Braginton resigned and was replaced by R B Henderson, who supervised the move in 1913. Strand School flourished for a number of years as a boys' grammar school and later merged with a nearby girls' school.

Nineteenth-century student societies at King's College London included an Athletic Club, formed in 1884. In 1905 the College's Union Society was reformed to obtain common rooms, form a college debating society and gymnastic and other clubs, and provide entertainments. In 1908 it was reorganised, taking over the Athletic Club and all social activities of the College, and from 1919 it developed rapidly in size and organization. The modern Union represents the student body, supports sports clubs and other societies, and offers facilities including bars, entertainments, and welfare advice.

Supported by G C W Warr, Professor of Classics at King's College London, and the Principal Alfred Barry, from 1878 lectures for ladies were held in the old town hall in Kensington. Attendance outgrew the lecture rooms, which in 1879 were moved to a house in Observatory Avenue, Kensington. From 1881 moves were made to found a ladies' department of King's College based on this initiative, with the necessary statutory powers obtained by an Act of Parliament which received the royal assent in 1882. The Ladies' Department was inaugurated in 1885 at no 13 Kensington Square. It was to be administered, under the Council of King's College, by an executive committee. The principal of King's College was head of the department, with a lady superintendent (from 1891 known as the vice principal) as his deputy in Kensington Square. The department's function at this period was not to prepare its students for definite professional careers, but to give them a taste of a liberal education. Under Lilian Faithfull as vice-principal (1894-1907) the department developed the character of a university college. In 1898 the application for the admission of women to the King's College associateship was granted by the Council. From 1902 the department was known as the Women's Department, and students took examinations for London University degrees and Oxford or Cambridge diplomas. A movement for university education in home science, although controversial among educationists, resulted in courses beginning in 1908. At that period the policy of the department, with the concurrence of the Delegacy of King's College and the Senate of the University, was to establish on a new site in Kensington a complete university college for women. Under the King's College London Transfer Act (1908), in 1910 the Women's Department was incorporated in the University of London with a distinct existence as King's College for Women. Owing to pressure on space from increasing numbers, nos 11 and 12 Kensington Square were added to the College's premises in 1911-1912. In 1913 a special delegacy for King's College for Women was constituted by the Senate of the University of London. However, in 1913 the Haldane report of the Royal Commission on the University of London unexpectedly recommended that the Home Science Department alone should be developed in Kensington. On a new site at Campden Hill, Kensington (the Blundell Hall estate), originally intended for the whole of King's College for Women, buildings for the Household and Social Science Department (after 1928 King's College for Household and Social Science) were begun in 1914 and went into use in 1915. The conversion of King's College to a co-educational institution by the absorption of King's College for Women was agreed in 1914 and the arts and science departments moved from Kensington Square to the Strand in January 1915. King's College for Women in the Strand remained constitutionally a separate legal entity, since the Transfer Act of 1908 could only be altered by Act of Parliament, but for all practical purposes King's College for Women became an integral part of King's College. The number of women students began to increase rapidly and in 1921 King's College Hostel for Women opened in Bayswater, subsequently expanded from time to time by taking in adjoining houses.

The Women's Department of King's College London was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College in 1910 and renamed 'King's College for Women'. In the session 1914-1915, however, the work of the College diverged as Divinity, Arts and Science subjects were transferred back to King's College on the Strand. In 1915 the remaining Home Science Department became the 'Household and Social Science Department', which was still part of King's College for Women, but which was now situated in new premises in Campden Hill. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science and was known as Queen Elizabeth College from 1953 until the merger with King's College in 1985.

The Women's Department of King's College London was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College in 1910 and renamed 'King's College for Women'. In the session 1914-1915, however, the work of the College diverged as Divinity, Arts and Science subjects were transferred back to King's College on the Strand. In 1915 the remaining Home Science Department became the 'Household and Social Science Department', which was still part of King's College for Women, but which was now situated in new premises in Campden Hill. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science and was known as Queen Elizabeth College from 1953 until the merger with King's College in 1985.

The Women's Department of King's College London was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College in 1910 and renamed 'King's College for Women'. In the session 1914-1915, however, the work of the College diverged as Divinity, Arts and Science subjects were transferred back to King's College on the Strand. In 1915 the remaining Home Science Department became the 'Household and Social Science Department', which was still part of King's College for Women, but which was now situated in new premises in Campden Hill. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science and was known as Queen Elizabeth College from 1953 until the merger with King's College in 1985.

In 1871 King's College London began courses of lectures and classes to meet the needs of higher education for women, reflecting the support of its Principal, the Rev Dr Barry. Following these early developments, a women's college was opened in 1877 in Kensington. In 1885, this became a constituent department of King's College London known as the Ladies' Department. Classes were provided in the field of Arts, Sciences, Fine Art and Music and Theology, as well as more practical subjects. In 1895 students began working for Oxford Honours examinations, and Science courses were arranged for External examinations. In 1899 the Council opened the Associateship of King's College (AKC) to students and in 1900 students began preparing for internal degrees, as a result of which in 1902 the Ladies' Department became known as the Women's Department. The Home Science Department was founded in 1908. In 1910, the Women's Department was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College, and named King's College for Women. In the session 1914-1915 the work of the College diverged. Divinity, Arts and Science subjects were transferred to King's College on the Strand. Home Science, however, became the Household and Social Science Department, still a department of King's College for Women, but relocated to new premises in Campden Hill. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science and was known as Queen Elizabeth College from 1953 until the merger with King's College in 1985.

In 1871 King's College London began courses of lectures and classes to meet the needs of higher education for women, reflecting the support of its Principal, the Rev Dr Barry. Following these early developments, a women's college was opened in 1877 in Kensington. In 1885, this became a constituent department of King's College London known as the Ladies' Department. Classes were provided in the field of Arts, Sciences, Fine Art and Music and Theology, as well as more practical subjects. In 1895 students began working for Oxford Honours examinations, and Science courses were arranged for External examinations. In 1899 the Council opened the Associateship of King's College (AKC) to students and in 1900 students began preparing for internal degrees, as a result of which in 1902 the Ladies' Department became known as the Women's Department. The Home Science Department was founded in 1908. In 1910, the Women's Department was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College, and named King's College for Women. In the session 1914-1915 the work of the College diverged. Divinity, Arts and Science subjects were transferred to King's College on the Strand. Home Science, however, became the Household and Social Science Department, still a department of King's College for Women, but relocated to new premises in Campden Hill. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science and was known as Queen Elizabeth College from 1953 until the merger with King's College in 1985.

The Women's Department of King's College London was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College in 1910 and renamed 'King's College for Women'. In the session 1914-1915, however, the work of the College diverged as Divinity, Arts and Science subjects were transferred back to King's College on the Strand. In 1915 the remaining Home Science Department became the 'Household and Social Science Department', which was still part of King's College for Women, but which was now situated in new premises in Campden Hill. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science and was known as Queen Elizabeth College from 1953 until the merger with King's College in 1985.

In 1871 King's College London began courses of lectures and classes to meet the needs of higher education for women, reflecting the support of its Principal, the Rev Dr Barry. Following these early developments, a women's college was opened in 1877 in Kensington. In 1885, this became a constituent department of King's College London known as the Ladies' Department. Classes were provided in the field of Arts, Sciences, Fine Art and Music and Theology, as well as more practical subjects. In 1895 students began working for Oxford Honours examinations, and Science courses were arranged for External examinations. In 1899 the Council opened the Associateship of King's College (AKC) to students and in 1900 students began preparing for internal degrees, as a result of which in 1902 the Ladies' Department became known as the Women's Department. The Home Science Department was founded in 1908. In 1910, the Women's Department was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College, and named King's College for Women. In the session 1914-1915 the work of the College diverged. Divinity, Arts and Science subjects were transferred to King's College on the Strand. Home Science, however, became the Household and Social Science Department, still a department of King's College for Women, but relocated to new premises in Campden Hill. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science and was known as Queen Elizabeth College from 1953 until the merger with King's College in 1985.

Following the amalgamation of most of the departments of King's College for Women with King's College London as a co-educational institution in 1915, the King's College London student body admitted women to the students' union and a common room was allotted to them. To some degree their social life was distinct. The female staff also had a common room. In 1972 arrangements were made to amalgamate the Women's Senior or Staff Common Room with the Joint Senior Common Room and the Men's Common Room by an interim Common Room committee.

Carter , John , 1748-1817 , architect

Born, 1748; attended school in Battersea and Kennington until 1760; worked as an artist for his father, Benjamin, a sculptor, until his death, [1763]; apprenticed to Joseph Dixon, surveyor, from around 1764; private work as draughtsman including for Henry Holland of Piccadilly, 1768; drawings for Builder's magazine, 1774-1786; first employed by Society of Antiquaries to draw subjects including St Stephen's Chapel, Westminster, the abbeys at Bath and St Alban's and cathedrals at Exeter, Durham and Gloucester, 1780; begins to draw for the antiquarian, Richard Gough, who incorporated illustrations by Carter in his Sepulchral monuments in Great Britain, 2 vols (London, 1786, 1796); introduced to patrons including John Soane and Horace Walpole, 1781; published Specimens of the ancient sculpture and painting now remaining in this kingdom, 2 vols (London, 1780, 1787); exhibited at the Royal Academy, 1786; begins publication of Views of ancient buildings in England, 6 vols (London, 1786-1793); Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, 1795; begins publishing The ancient architecture of England, 2 vols (London, 1795, 1807); periodically composed music and operas including The white rose and The cell of St Oswald; published important series of articles warning against inappropriate restoration and the demolition of ancient monuments under the title 'Pursuits of architectural innovation', in Gentleman's magazine, 1798-1817; died, 1817. Publications: Views of ancient buildings in England, 6 vols (London, 1786-1793); Specimens of the ancient sculpture and painting now remaining in this kingdom, 2 vols (London, 1780, 1787); The ancient architecture of England, 2 vols (London, 1795, 1807). Contributions to Builder's magazine, 1774-1786, and Gentleman's magazine, 1798-1817.

Leatherhead Emergency Hospital

The Royal Blind School, Leatherhead, was requisitioned by King's College Hospital as a national emergency hospital during World War Two. It was known as Leatherhead Emergency Hospital (Royal Blind School), and only existed under this name from 1939 to 1946. Thereafter it was used to house Chelsea Pensioners until the 1950s when the school reopened.

Lewisham Hospital

Lewisham Hospital opened as a workhouse in 1817 and then as a hospital in 1894. It admitted cholera cases from 1867 and lunatics from 1897. It became Lewisham Hospital Group in 1948. In 1974 the Group became one of the four Health Districts in the Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham Area Health Authority (Teaching). The other three Districts were King's College Hospital, Guy's, and St Thomas's. In 1982 it became Lewisham and North Southwark District Health Authority. In 1993 it became Lewisham Hospital National Health Service Trust.

Born at Verval, county Wicklow, Ireland, 1754; classically educated at schools in Dublin; obtained an appointment from the East India Company and left Gravesend, 1770; reached Bencoolen, Sumatra, 1771; served in Sumatra first as a sub-secretary and afterwards as principal secretary to the government; learnt Malayan; departed for England, 1779; became acquainted with Sir Joseph Banks, 1780; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1783; later became its treasurer and vice-president, often presiding during Banks' illness; elected fellow of the Asiatic Society of Calcutta, 1784; Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, 1785; an original member of the Royal Irish Academy, 1785; invested his savings and with his brother John established an East India agency business in Gower Street, London, 1785; honorary degree of DCL, Oxford, 1786; member and treasurer of the Royal Society Club, 1787; accepted the post of second secretary of the admiralty, 1795; member of the Literary Club, 1799; promoted to first secretary of the admiralty, 1804; resigned, 1807; suffered from apoplexy, 1833; died from an apoplectic attack, 1836; buried at the cemetery at Kensal Green, London. Publications include: The History of Sumatra (London, 1783, and later editions); Dictionary of the Malayan Language (London, 1812); The Travels of Marco Polo (1818), translated from the Italian; Numismata Orientalia (London, 1823-5); Bibliotheca Marsdeniana Philologica et Orientalis: a Catalogue of Books and Manuscripts (London, 1827). His autobiography was edited and published by his widow Elizabeth as A Brief Memoir of ... William Marsden (London, 1838).

McClare was born in 1937 and educated at Felsted School and Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where he read natural sciences, specialising in chemistry. He undertook research at Cambridge on the chemistry of free radicals in biology as a Medical Research Council student, 1958-1961, and on energy transfer in nucleic acids as a Beit Fellow, 1961-1963, and was awarded a PhD in 1962. He was Lecturer in Biophysics at King's College, London, 1963-1977. From his growing interest in bioenergetics and the problems of muscle contraction he concluded that classical thermodynamics was inadequate for the description of biological processes, and that the application of the Second Law of Thermodynamics to biological machines required the introduction of time scales. His ideas were not generally accepted and although he wrote extensively on the subject his papers were not accepted for publication until four controversial papers appeared in the Journal of Theoretical Biology and Nature, 1971-1972. These generated a vigorous correspondence with scientists all over the world. McClare's unorthodox views failed to gain the approval of established scientific opinion. He took his own life at the age of thirty-nine, 1977.

The League for Democracy in Greece was a political pressure group founded in 1945 whose aims included the provision of relief to Greeks who suffered for their left-wing beliefs and activities, to their dependants, and to the dependants of Greeks who died fighting for democracy. These relief functions were initially exercised by a sub-committee of the League, but when it was realised that charitable status would encourage broader support of the Fund's humanitarian objectives the committee was succeeded in 1968 by the Greek Relief Fund, which assisted political prisoners and their families, and former prisoners. The charity had premises at Goodge Street, London. The Fund was wound up in 1984.

In response to a call from the leftist resistance movement EAM (Ethnikon Apeleftherotikon Metopon) for a government of national unity, Greeks in England formed a Greek United Committee in 1943 under the sponsorship of Sir Compton Mackenzie, the author and philhellene. Much of the support came from the Federation of Greek Maritime Unions (FGMU), which had its wartime base in Cardiff. Other supporters included a Smyrniot carpet merchant, E Athanassoglou. But under wartime conditions of censorship the Committee could reach only a restricted section of opinion, and in 1944 Winston Churchill prohibited favourable mention of the Greek resistance movement EAM-ELAS (Ethnikon Apeleftherotikon Metopon-Ethnikos Laikos Apeleftherotikos Stratos) by the BBC. The FGMU therefore sponsored a news agency, of which Diana Pym became secretary. The agency's first campaign concerned conditions in concentration camps in Erithrea (Ertra) and the Sudan. The news agency issued press releases and, from 1946, a Weekly Survey of Greek News. It closed at the end of 1962, but was re-opened in 1969 by Andonis Ambatielos (former FGMU secretary) and his English wife, Betty, and resumed the issue of press releases and monthly surveys until Ambatielos returned to junta Greece in 1974 and was arrested. In 1945, the election of a Labour government raised hopes of a change in British policy towards Greece, but the appointment of Ernest Bevin as Foreign Secretary ensured continuity with existing policy. A British pressure group was founded to campaign for a change in policy and for the Greek left-wing resistance. The League for Democracy in Greece (LDG) was launched at a public meeting at the Garrick Theatre in London in October 1945 under the presidency of Sir Compton Mackenzie and with D M Pritt QC, MP in the chair. Diana Pym became secretary. The League aimed to rebuild and strengthen the traditional friendship between the peoples of Greece and Britain on the basis of the establishment and development of democracy in Greece; to enlighten the British public about the situation in Greece and to promote cultural relations between the two countries; to provide relief to Greeks who suffered for their democractic beliefs and activities, their dependants, and the dependants of Greeks who died fighting for democracy; and to work for a general amnesty for Greek democrats imprisoned for political reasons, the restoration of trade unions and civil liberties, and the suppression of armed terrorism and the trial and punishment of collaborators during the occupation (the latter deleted as obsolete in the late 1960s). The relief functions, initially exercised by a sub-committee (the League for Democracy in Greece Relief Committee), were later taken over by a Greek Relief Fund. The LDG adopted a constitution in 1946. Marion Pasco (after 1952 Marion Sarafis, wife of Stefanos Sarafis, former commander of the wartime ELAS resistance movement) acted as joint secretary, 1946-1952, with Diana Pym. At its inauguration, the League had support from Labour Members of Parliament (MPs), including some who had served in Greece. Influencing parliamentary action was a major part of its work, and involved supplying information to MPs for questions in the House and briefing them to take up cases with the Foreign Office. The League's sphere of action extended to the trade union field and speakers from the League used available opportunities to address trade union branches, Trades Councils and local Labour parties, with a peak year in 1949 when League speakers addressed 255 meetings. The fall of the colonels' junta in 1974, followed by elections and the referendum on the monarchy, was thought to make the League's services unnecessary, and it renamed itself Friends of Democracy in Greece and continued on a stand-by basis, with a small list of supporters and a bi-annual bulletin.

Born in 1840; third son of Julius Michael Millingen (1800-1878, an associate of George Gordon Byron, 6th Lord Byron, in 1823-1824 during the War of Greek Independence); educated at Malta Protestant College, Blair Lodge Academy, Polmont, Edinburgh University and New College, Edinburgh; MA (Edinburgh); Doctor of Divinity (St Andrews and Knox College, Toronto); Honorary Student, British School at Athens; Professor of History, Robert College Constantinople; Pastor of the Free Church of Scotland Church, Genoa; Pastor of the Union Church, Pera, Constantinople; recreations: archæology and travelling; died 1915. No connection of Van Millingen with King's College is known. Publications: Byzantine Constantinople: the walls of the city and adjoining historical sites (John Murray, London, 1899); Constantinople. Painted by Warwick Goble. Described by A. Van Millingen (Adam & Charles Black, London, 1906); with Ramsay Traquair, W S George and A E Henderson, Byzantine Churches in Constantinople: their history and architecture (Macmillan & Co, London, 1912); Walter S George, The Church of Saint Eirene at Constantinople, with an historical notice by Alexander Van Millingen (Oxford University Press, London, [1913]). Also contributed to Murray's Handbook to Constantinople and to the Encyclopædia Britannica.

Modern Poetry in Translation (MPT) was launched in 1965 by joint editors and owners Daniel Weissbort and the poet Ted Hughes. Its policy was to overcome language barriers and enable English-speakers to benefit from previously untranslated poets from other countries, finding talented poets and matching them with translators. The launch of MPT came at a time of increasing interest in international poetry and a flourishing of translation. Literal translations (word for word) were favoured over parallel equivalents, as revealing the poetry of the original and the individuality of the poet rather than the translator. The initial emphasis was on post-war Eastern European poets, many of whom were hardly known in Britain at the time but have since become world famous, including for example Vasko Popa, Miroslav Holub and Zbigniew Herbert. The scope of MPT quickly expanded to cover poetry from all over the world. Many issues were devoted to the detailed study of poetry from a single country, planned several years in advance to allow time to gather and translate the poetry and set up specialised distribution lines to the countries. The magazine was also concerned with debate about the art of translation, publishing special articles and a 'Theory Issue' (MPT 41-42). A long association developed with distinguished translators such as Anne Pennington and Stanley Kunitz, whilst a host of others wrote to offer their services. Issues 1-6, 1965-1969, were published by Cape Golliard, and issues thereafter were published independently. Owing to increasing absorption in his own work, Hughes withdrew from editorship, and by 1971 Daniel Weissbort was sole editor, working with advisors who possessed specialist knowledge of a particular language, and guest editors for some issues. In the 1970s MPT developed a close association with the International Writing Program (IWP) at the University of Iowa, USA, and in 1973 Daniel Weissbort accepted a position in its teaching faculty. Many IWP students contributed to MPT and in 1974 an entire issue was produced from their work. Small circulation, difficulty in reaching the American market and rising printing costs dogged MPT throughout its 18-year history. Despite subsidies from the Arts Council of Great Britain, the magazine often found it difficult to pay its contributors, although some translators refused payment. In 1982 Daniel Weissbort was treated for cancer and withdrew from the editorial demands of the magazine. It was decided to produce MPT annually as a yearbook in collaboration with Carcanet Press. Hughes agreed to write the introduction. A volume was published in 1983 as the first of what was intended to be an annual series, but in 1986 it was relaunched under Anvil Press as Poetry World, with a wider remit aiming to include poetry not just from the modern age. For further information see the introduction by Daniel Weissbort to MPT Year Book (1983) (Ref: MPT1/39) and the introductions by Daniel Weissbort and Ted Hughes to Poetry World (Ref: MPT1/41). MPT was revived under the aegis of the Department of French, King's College London, with Professor Norma Rinsler and Daniel Weissbort as editors, in a new series begun in 1992.

Frida, daughter of Adolf Meyer Loewenthal of Cologne, born c1847; married in 1866 her cousin Ludwig Mond (born in Cassel, 1839; came to England, 1862; prominent manufacturing chemist and philanthropist; Managing Director of Brunner, Mond & Co Ltd); two sons (Sir Robert Ludwig Mond, 1867-1938, chemist, industrialist, and archaeologist; Alfred Moritz Mond, 1st Baron Melchett, 1868-1930, industrialist, financier and politician); homes at the Hollies, Farnworth, near Widnes, then Winnington Hall, near Northwich, and latterly the Poplars, Avenue Road, Regent's Park London, the Palazzo Zuccari, Rome, and Combe Bank, near Sevenoaks; widowed, 1909; member of the Council of the English Goethe Society; endowed a Goethe Scholarship Fund of the Goethe Society, 1911; friend of Sir Israel Gollancz; died 1923; a benefactor of King's College London; also endowed a British Academy lectureship and prize on Anglo-Saxon and English.

Born in Geelong, Australia, 1862; began to travel while a student in Australia, 1882-1883; pursued a career in journalism, travelling from Port Mackay to the South Sea Islands to study the traffic in Kanaka islanders; graduated Doctor of Medicine, Master in Surgery, Edinburgh University, 1887; travelled in the USA and West Indies before returning to Australia; went to Hong Kong, 1893; travelled from Shanghai to Rangoon, 1894; in London, offered work by The Times as a secret correspondent to Siam (Thailand), 1895; also continued travelling in China; appointed resident correspondent of The Times in Peking, 1897; left The Times to become political adviser to Yuan Shih-K'ai, president of the new Chinese republic, 1912; died in England, 1920. Published An Australian in China (1895).

Born in London, 1924; educated Purley Grammar School, Croydon, Surrey, 1935-1940, and BlackpoolGrammar School, Lancashire, 1940-1943. Awarded scholarship to Pembroke College, Cambridge but enlisted in the Royal Navy instead, 1943. Served North Atlantic Convoys and as a Sub Lt in RNVR on mine sweepers in Far East (Ceylon, Malaya and Burma), 1943-1947. Scholar of Pembroke College, Cambridge, 1947-1950. BA with First Class honours in both part of Tripos, 1950; awarded JebbStudentship, Cambridge University, 1950-1951. Appointed Lektor in English, Faculty of Philosophy, Zurich University, Switzerland, 1951-1952. Toured Italy with John Page, Aug-Sep 1952. Appointed Assistant Lecturer in English Literature, University of Malaya at Singapore, 1953-1954. Slow sea-journey home, taking in Japan, Angkor Wat, Cambodia and Egypt, 1954-1955. Lecturer in EnglishLiterature, Faculty of Philosophy and Letters, University of Groningen, Holland, 1955-1960. Took up initial appointment for two years as Lecturer in English and American Literature at King's College London, 1960-1962. Toured USA, called on Allen Ginsberg, and made many new contacts, Jul-Sep 1960. Visited New York and Philadelphia, called on William Carlos Williams, Apr-May 1962. Tenure as Lecturer at University of London confirmed, 1963. Inaugural meeting of the Institute of United States Studies at the University of London of which Mottram was co-founder and was responsible especially for the literary and cultural elements of the MA course in Area Studies (United States), 5 Jul 1965. Visiting Fellow at State University of New York at Buffalo, where he was introduced to BasilBunting, 27 Jun 1966; also lectured at Brooklyn, Bridgeport, Philadelphia and Kent State University, Oct 1965- Sep 1966. Bill Butler on trial in Brighton in August 1968 over obscene publications charges; Mottram speaks for the defence, but Magistrates convict, 1968. Visiting Professor at Kent State University Ohio, Sep-Dec 1968. Appointed Editor of The Poetry Review (the journal of The PoetrySociety, London), duties to commence with Autumn 1971 issue, Jan 1971. Visiting Professor at Kent State University, Ohio, Sep 1970-Mar 1971, tragedy of shooting of four students on campus occurred 4 May 1970. Read at Miners' Benefit Reading in Newcastle upon Tyne organised by Tom Pickard, Feb 12-13 1972. Moved in summer from 15 Vicarage Gate W8 to 40 Guernsey Grove, Herne Hill inSouth-East London, 1972. Appointed Reader in English and American Literature at King's College London, Jan 1973. Visiting Professor at Kent State University, Ohio, Jan - Apr 1974. Speaker at Melville Conference in Paris, 5-9 May 1974. Lectured in Tunis, Apr 10-17 1974. Lectured at Salzburg Seminar in American Studies, Schloss Leopoldskron, Salzburg, 25 Aug to 6 Sep 1975. Gave lecture for Austrian American Studies Association, Vienna, 3 Mar 1977. Editorship of The Poetry Review ceased after intervention from Arts Council of Great Britain in policy at The Poetry Society, 1977. Visited America, including Buffalo, New York, Kent State and San Francisco, 30 Mar-15 May 1979. Lectured at conference in Budapest, 28-31 Mar 1980. Read at Festival of British Poetry in New York, 1982. Appointed Professor of English and American Literature at King's College London, 1 Oct 1982. Teaching at Philadelphia, then tour of US covering 10 states and Canada, May-Jul 1984. Visited Hyderabad (Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages), Sep 1984. Lectured at American Studies conference at Valencia University in Spain, 28-30 May 1985. Travelled to Naropa Institute for Burroughs' Conference; then tour of Colorado, Jul 1985. Lectured at Alcala de Henares near Madrid, Apr 1988. Organised exhibition about aircraft from Sir George Cayley to the Wright Bros (1799-1909) at Polytechnic of Central London for 150th Anniversary of its founding, 1988. (In 1989 the exhibition was shown at RAF Museum Hendon). Co-edited New British Poetry Anthology for Paladin, 1988. Lectured at Sorbonne in Paris, 14 Feb 1990. During May interviewed Robert Creeley on BBC Three. Retired from King's College London with the title of Emeritus Professor of English and American Literature, Sep 1990. Read at benefit reading for Shakespeare & Co, Paris, Mar 1991. MountjoyFellow at Basil Bunting Poetry Centre, University of Durham, Jan-Mar 1992. Invitations to Coimbra University, Portugal, and University of Helsinki declined as heart surgery was required in May 1992. Visiting Professor at State University of New York at Buffalo, to help launch their Poetics program, 17 Sep-2 Dec 1992. Conference on Law & American Literature at Coimbra University, Portugal, 1993.Festschrift in Mottram's honour published A permanent etcetera: Cross-cultural perspectives on Post- War America ed. A. Robert Lee (Pluto Press, London and Boulder, Colorado, 1993), 1993. Visit to Denmark and lectured at University of Aarhus, March, and at Helsinki in Finland, early June, 1994. Two anthologies were issued in later 1994 to celebrate Mottram's 70th birthday: Motley for Mottram:tributes to Eric Mottram on his 70th birthday ed. Bill Griffiths & Bob Cobbing (Amra Imprint, Seaham, and Writers Forum, London, 1994); and Alive in parts of this century: Eric Mottram at 70 ed. Peterjon & Yasmin Skelt (North & South, Twickenham and Wakefield, 1994), 1994. Died 16 Jan 1995.Publications:Academic books: American Studies in Europe (J. B. Walters, Groningen & Djakarta, 1955) (Mottram's inaugural lecture at Groningen University, Holland) Books on America: American Literature (British Association for American Studies, UK, 1966, as 'Books on America series no. 4') (bibliography) William Burroughs: the algebra of need (Intrepid Press, Buffalo, New York, 1971, as Beau Fleuve series no. 2) and (Marion Boyars, London, 1977). Revised edition, Algebra of need: William Burroughs and the gods of death (Marion Boyars, 1992) William Faulkner (Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, 1971) Allen Ginsberg in the Sixties (Unicorn Bookshop, Brighton & Seattle, 1972) The Rexroth Reader, selected edition by Mottram (Jonathan Cape, London, 1972) Entrances to the Americas: poetry, ecology, translation, edited by Eric Mottram (Polytechnic of Central London, 1975) Paul Bowles: staticity & terror (Aloes Books, London, 1976) Towards design in poetry (Writers Forum, London, 1977) A reading of Thomas Meyer's first ten years (Reality Studios, London, 1985, as Occasional Paper no. 2) Blood on the Nash Ambassador: investigations in American culture (Hutchinson Radius, London, 1989) (selected essays)Poetry publications: Inside the whale (Writers Forum, London, 1970, as Writers Forum Quarto no. 7) Shelter Island & The remaining world (Turret Books, London, 1971, as Tall Turret 1) The he expression (Aloes Books, London, 1973) Local movement (Writers Forum, London, 1973) Kent journal (published by Mottram, 1974) (10 copies) Two elegies (Poet & Peasant, Hayes, Middlesex, 1974; second edition, 1976) Against tyranny (Poet & Peasant, Hayes, Middlesex, 1975) '1922 earth raids', and other poems 1973-1975 (New London Pride, London, 1976) A faithful private (Genera, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1976, as issue 13) Homage to Braque (Blacksuede Boot Press, [London], 1976) Descents of love: songs of recognition (Mugshots no. 6, card in set, no publisher given, 1977) Spring Ford (Pig Press Hasty Editions, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1977) Tunis (Rivelin Press, Sheffield, 1977) Precipice of Fishes (Writers Forum, London, 1979) (a set of cards) Windsor Forest: Bill Butler in memoriam (Pig Press, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1979) From shadow borders (Twisted Wrist, Paris, 1979, as publication no. 5) 1980 Mediate (Zunne Heft, Maidstone, Kent, 1980) A book of Herne: 1975-1981 (Arrowspire Press, Colne, Lancashire, 1981) Elegies (Galloping Dog, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1981) Interrogation rooms; poems 1980-1981 (Spanner, London, 1982) Address (Shadowcat, [Gateshead] 1983) (text handwritten and illuminated by Maria Makepeace) Three Letters (Spanner, London, 1984, as Open Field no. 2) The legal poems: 29 December 1980 - 30 May 1981 (Arrowspire, Colne, Lancashire, 1986) Peace projects & brief novels, 1986-1988 (Talus Editions, London, 1989) Selected poems (North & South, Twickenham & Wakefield, 1989) Season of monsters: poems 1989-1990 (Writers Forum, London, 1991) Resistances: A homage to René Char (RWC, Sutton, 1991, as RWC 9-10) Estuaries: Poems 1989-91 (Solaris, Twickenham, Middlesex, 1992) Raise the wind for me: poems for Basil Bunting (Pig Press, Durham, 1992, as special issue of Staple Diet) Time Sight Unseen (State University of New York at Buffalo, 1993) Design origins: Masks book two, poems 1993-4 (Amra Imprint, Seaham, Co. Durham, 1994) Inheritance: Masks book one, poems 1993-1994 (Writers Forum, London, 1994) Double your stakes: Masks book three (RWC, London, 1995) Hyderabad depositions (University of Salzburg Press, 1997) Periodical contests: Masks book four (Anarcho Press, Badninish, Sutherland, with Mainstream, St Albans, Hertfordshire, 1997) Limits of self-regard (Talus Editions, King's College London, 1998)Further bibliographic details of reprints, translations, collaborations and articles may be found in Eric Mottram: A Bibliography, prepared by Bill Griffiths (King's College London, 1999). See also Eric Mottram: A checklist of his poems, compiled by Valerie Soar (King's College London, 1999).

Murrell , Eric Sidney , d 1983 , author

Studied at Lincoln College, Oxford, 1922-1930; submitted thesis for the degree of B Litt, Oxford University, 1930; died, 1983. Connection with King's College London not known. Publications: "Girart de Roussillon" and the "Tristan" Poems (Bales & Wilde, Chesterfield, 1926); as editor, The Death of Tristan, from Deuce MS 189 ([New York, 1928]); For your tomorrow: a cipher-sergeant's diary, 1941-1945, by 2075687, known in civilian life as Eric S Murrell (Dorchester Plush, c1999), concerning Burma campaign, World War Two.

The National Training School of Cookery (NTSC) was set up in 1873 to promote knowledge of cookery, and became a limited company in 1888. The College broadened its syllabus to include other aspects of domestic economy and, in 1902, this was recognised in a change of title when it became the National Training School of Cookery and Other Branches of Domestic Economy, and finally the National Training College of Domestic Science (NTCDS) between 1931 and the College's closure in 1962. Although it was a competitor of Queen Elizabeth College, in practice there existed close links between the executive committees of the institutions, and when the NTCDS closed in 1962 some of its assets were transferred to the Department of Nutrition at QEC.

A Department of Nutrition was established at Queen Elizabeth College in 1945, one of the first of its kind in Europe. The Department was transferred to King's in 1985 upon the merger of King's and Queen Elizabeth. It is now part of the Division of Health Sciences in the School of Life and Health Sciences. The Department and its staff have participated with government agencies such as the Department of Health and Social Security and the Medical Research Council, in a number of influential projects and studies to determine the relationship between socio-economic status, nutritional intake and the health of sections of the British population, most notably, pre, and school age, children. The Department has also undertaken independent surveys including of postmenopausal women and low income families.

F P Pickering, to whom the manuscript notes are attributed, is probably Francis Pickering Pickering, born in Bradford, 1909; educated at Grange High School, Bradford; Leeds University (BA); Gilchrist Travelling Studentship; Germanic literature and languages at Breslau University (PhD); Lektor in English, 1931-1932; Assistant Lecturer and Lecturer in German, University of Manchester, 1932-1941; Bletchley Park (Hut 3), 1941-1945; Head of German Department, University of Sheffield, 1945-1953; Professor of German, University of Reading, 1953-1974; later Emeritus Professor; Dean of the Faculty of Letters, University of Reading, 1957-1960; Goethe Medal, Goethe Institute, Munich, 1975; died, 1981. His connection with King's College London is not known. Publications: Christi Leiden in einer Vision geschaut (1952); Augustinus oder Boethius? (2 volumes, 1967, 1976); University German (1968); Literatur und darstellende Kunst im Mittelalter (1968), translated as Literature and Art in the Middle Ages (1970); The Anglo-Norman Text of the Holkham Bible Picture Book (1971); Essays on Medieval German Literature and Iconography (1980); articles and reviews in English and German journals.

Not known.

The manuscript presumably relates to Port Royal des Champs near Versailles (from 1626 Port Royal de Paris), a French Cistercian abbey which under its abbess from 1602, Angelique Arnauld (d 1661), was a centre of Jansenist reform. The source from which this copy has presumably been translated, and its author and exact date, are not known.

Queen Elizabeth College, so called from 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.