Affichage de 15888 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Phoenix is the annual Students' Union arts magazine of Imperial College. It started life as the Science Schools Journal in 1887, founded by H G Wells as a literary magazine, although it also contained details of college activities until Felix was established. It was renamed the Royal College of Science Magazine in 1891 and Phoenix in 1904. The City and Guilds Union joined with the Unions of the Royal College of Science and Royal School of Mines in support of Phoenix from 1915, when it became the 'Magazine of the Imperial College of Science and Technology'. Felix is Imperial College's student newspaper, which started in 1949.Weekly newssheets detailing events have also been published by the College and known successively as Coming Events, (1966-1969), IC News, (1969-1974), IC Diary (1974-1982) and IC Gazette (from 1982). IC Gazette was established to publish information previously covered by both IC Diary and Topic magazine, a twice monthly College newsletter established in 1974.
ICON, the Imperial College Review magazine was published between 1973 and 1982, and CRITICON, a continuation of the reviews section of ICON, between 1982-1987. Network, a monthly newspaper, was published between 1987 and 1994. IC Reporter, the College staff newpaper published twice monthly was established in 1995.

The Alumni Relations Office maintains regular contact with all former students of the College. The Office distributes the alumni magazine, IC Matters and services the administrative needs of the Constituent College Associations.
The Royal College of Science Union Motor Club maintains the College mascot 'Jezebel', a 1916 Dennis N - Type fire engine, donated to Imperial College in 1955. 'Boanergesis' is the City & Guilds College mascot, a 1902 James & Browne veteran car purchased in 1934. The mascot of the Royal School of Mines is the 1926 Morris T type truck 'Clementine', which in 1959 replaced the first Clementine, a steam roller.
During the First World War 2418 students from Imperial College served in the forces, of which 319 died.

Westminster Hospital Medical School

Westminster Hospital Medical School was established in 1834 as a private school in Dean Street, London, by administrators and medical staff, notably G J Guthrie. By 1841, the hospital governors decided to purchase the buildings. Problems with the lease, along with difficulties in providing a specimen museum, led to falling numbers and revenue and the school halted in 1847. It was restablished in 1849, financed by the lecturers paying for their chairs. The establishment of a specimen museum meant students no longer needed to study anatomy at King's College. A histology laboratory was added in 1874, and the chemistry laboratories added in 1885. A new building in Caxton Street was opened in 1885, financed by the hospital, lecturers, the City of London and subscriptions.
In 1905, the teaching of pre-clinical subjects ended at Westminster, and moved to King's College. The school was taken over by the army in 1914 to train pathologists for the war effort. Student numbers and the school suffered as a result, and it was only after 1920 that numbers improved.
A new medical school was opened in 1938, adjacent to the new hospital in St John's Gardens. The school moved again to enlarged premises in Page Street, Westminster in 1966.
The school merged with Charing Cross Hospital Medical School in 1984 and became known as the Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School. In 1993, the school moved with the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital to newly built premises on the site of the old St Stephen's Hospital on Fulham Road. The school became part of Imperial College School of Medicine on its formation in 1997.

The Royal British Nurses Association (RBNA)was founded (as the British Nurses' Association) in December 1887, by Dr Bedford Fenwick, and his wife, Ethel Gordon Fenwick, former Matron of St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, with HRH Princess Christian, daughter of Queen Victoria, as its first President. There was considerable opposition to the Association, particularly from Florence Nightingale, who felt that it would destroy the `vocational spirit' of nursing. The Association was renamed the RBNA in 1891 and received its Royal Charter in 1893. Dr and Mrs Fenwick took over the Nursing Record (started in 1888), in 1893 and renamed it the British Journal of Nursing in 1902. Mrs Fenwick and Isla Stewart (Matron of St Bartholomew's Hospital) founded the Matrons' Council of Great Britain and Ireland in 1894. The Society for the State Registration of Nurses was formed in 1902, with Ethel Fenwick as Secretary and Treasurer. The National Council of Trained Nurses of Great Britain and Ireland was established 1904, with Ethel Fenwick as President. Between 1906 and 1909 the RBNA drafted three Parliamentary bills on nurse registration. The Central Committee for the State Registration of Nurses was formed 1909 with Ethel Fenwick as joint honorary secretary. From 1910-1914 the Central Committee introduced annual Parliamentary bills on nurse registration. The College of Nursing (later Royal College of Nursing) was established 1916, and in 1917 there were inconclusive discussions on the possibility of a merger between the RBNA and the College. The Nurses' Registration Acts were passed in 1919. The General Nursing Council, chaired by Mrs Fenwick was established 1920. The British College of Nurses (BCN) was founded by Mrs Fenwick, 1926, with herself as President, and Dr Fenwick as Treasurer. In 1927 the College of Nursing applied for its Royal Charter, the application, opposed by the RBNA, was granted in 1928 and it was renamed the Royal College of Nursing in 1939. Bedford Fenwick died 1939 and Ethel Fenwick, 1947. The British College of Nurses closed in 1956.

The British Committee for the Restitution of the Parthenon (Elgin) Marbles, (BCRPM) was founded following the UNESCO International Conference of Ministers of Culture in Mexico, Aug 1982, when Melina Mercouri appealed for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Athens. The idea to set up a British Committee for the Restitution of the Parthenon Marbles came from architect James Cubitt. The Committee was set up in 1983 under the chairmanship of Robert Browning, Emeritus Professor of Greek at the University of London. Eleni Cubitt, film producer and wife of James Cubitt (who died shortly after the Committee was established) became, and continues to be, the Secretary. The aims of the Committee are as follows:

'To secure the restitution of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece in accordance with the resolution of the UNESCO Conference of Ministers of Culture held in Mexico on 4 August 1982. To this end - we intend to present the case as fully as possible to the British public and to bring the most effective pressure on the Trustees of the British Museum and the British Government.'

Theodore Dyke Acland was born on 14 November 1851, the son of Sir Henry Acland, 1st Bart. of Oxford. He was educated at Winchester; Christ Church, Oxford (MA, MD); Leipzig University; Berlin University and St Thomas's Hospital. In 1883, he was sent by Foreign Office to deal with a cholera outbreak in Egypt. He was then selected for service with the Egyptian Army, of which he became Principal Medical Officer, and was awarded the Order of the Medjidie for his services.
He was Consulting Physician and Governor of St Thomas's Hospital, and of Brompton Hospital for Diseases of Chest and to the Commercial Union Assurance Company, as well as numerous other boards, councils and advisory positions.
In 1888 he married Caroline Cameron (died 1929), daughter of Sir William W. Gull.
Publications Many contributions to the study of current medical questions and school hygiene, including tuberculosis, and the future of the tuberculous soldier. Publications Memoir on the Cholera at Oxford in the year 1854, with considerations suggested by the epidemic, John Churchill and J. H. & J. Parker: London, 1856.

Born, 1891; educated, Bonn, Marburg, Lille; trained at St Thomas's Hospital; University of London; BS 1917 (London); MD 1930; Director, London Hospital (Whitechapel) Clinic for Venereal Diseases, 1930-1936; Lecturer on Venereal Diseases to London Hospital Medical College; Consultant and Venereologist to London County Council, 1930-1936; Director and Physician in Charge of the Department of Venereal Diseases, St Thomas's Hospital, 1936-1956; Fellow, Royal College of Physicians, 1937; Fellow Royal Society of Medicine; London University Lecturer at St Thomas's Hospital Medical School; Honourable Secretary, Royal Medical Benevolent Fund, 1956-1970; Consulting Physician to St Thomas's Hospital; died, 1971.
Publications include: Primary Syphilis in the Female (Oxford University Press, London, 1931); The Treatment of Veneral Disease in General Practice (John Bale, Sons & Danielsson, London, 1935); books, papers and articles on research into therapeutic and administrative problems of venereology; yearly contributions to The Medical Annual, 1937-1959.

Chemistry has been taught at King's College since 1831, when John Frederic Daniell was appointed the first Professor of Chemistry. A chair of Practical Chemistry was also endowed in 1851 but lapsed when it was combined with the chair of Chemistry in 1870 under Charles Loudon Bloxam. It formed part of the Medical Department but instruction was also provided in the Department of Applied Sciences and in Evening Classes. Chemistry became part of the Faculty of Science in 1893, the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences in 1986, and the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering in 1991. Classes in chemical engineering in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Sciences commenced in 1930, while biochemistry classes formed part of instruction in physiology in the Faculty of Medicine before becoming a discreet department in 1958.

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. Government of the College was devolved to the so-called Governing Body, supplemented from its inception in 1961 by an Academic Board reflecting the interests of staff and students. These were renamed the Council and Senate when the College was granted its Royal Charter in 1971. Chelsea College merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985 whereupon the functions of the Council and Senate were transferred to the King's Council and Academic Board.

Guy's Hospital Medical School

Guy's Hospital was founded by Thomas Guy, a bookseller and publisher in London who made a large fortune from his business and investments. Guy had become a Governor of St Thomas's Hospital in 1704, and proved an active and generous benefactor. He became a close friend of Richard Mead, Physician to St Thomas's Hospital, and a strong influence on Guy to use his wealth to build a new hospital. Guy was particularly interested in the needs of 'incurables' discharged from St Thomas's still weak and ill and unable to earn a living. His new hospital was intended to help such people, and so he looked for a site close to St Thomas's. In 1721 he was granted a lease of land within the close of St Thomas's Hospital by the Hospital Governors. The land was on the south side of St Thomas's Street and the houses occupying the site were demolished by the end of 1721. The foundations of the building were laid in 1722 and the hospital was opened on 6th January 1726, a year after the death of Thomas Guy. It had accommodation for 435 patients, and 60 were admitted on opening. In accordance with wishes expressed in Guy's will, an Act of Parliament was passed in 1725, establishing the Corporation of Governors for Guy's Hospital. The Governors administered the estates acquired by the hospital and managed the hospital through a committee (the Court of Committees) of twenty-one men named by Guy, including four doctors. The management of the two hospitals was at first closely associated, with Guy's regarded as an annexe or extension to Thomas's. All the arrangements and procedures at St Thomas's were adopted by Guy's, and there were also some joint Governors.

Until the early nineteenth century students at Guy's Hospital were required to serve an apprenticehip of five to seven years, and then 'walk the hospital' as a surgeon's dresser or physician's pupil for six to twelve months. Apprentices, pupils and dressers all attended courses of lectures on anatomy, surgery, midwifery, medicine and chemistry. Teaching was a joint undertaking with nearby St Thomas's Hospital, the two being known as the United Hospitals of the Borough. Students attended operations and lectures at both hospitals. The wards were formally opened to students in 1769 by a Governors' resolution, and marked the beginning of the official union of the schools of the two hospitals. The resolution of the Governors gave an official stamp of approval to existing arrangements, and also proposed that the surgeons of the hospital should occasionally give practical lessons on surgery to the pupils.

In 1770 the Governor's started to build the first lecture theatre attached to Guy's Hospital. Dr Saunders lectured there three times a week on chemistry, materia medica and the practice of medicine. Henry Cline the elder (1750-1827) was the first lecturer to attract a large number of pupils and establish a school of anatomy and surgery at St Thomas's. When the School of the United Hospitals came into existence, St Thomas's delivered the anatomical and surgical lectures, which were those most in demand and for which all pupils were prepared to pay fees. Guy's established courses in medicine, chemistry, botany, physiology and natural philosophy. The pupils were apprentices whose masters had instructed them in physic, and went to the hospital for 6 months to a year to complete their training.

Between 1768 and 1825, during the existence of the School of the United Hospitals, Guy's students attended lectures at St Thomas's or private establishments such as the Windmill Street School. A disagreement with St Thomas's over the appointment of a successor to Sir Astley Cooper as Lecturer in Surgery and Anatomy led to the establishment of an independent medical school at Guy's in 1825. The Governors agreed to erect more buildings for the School, and a large lecture theatre (the Anatomical theatre), museum and dissecting room were built. New hospital wards were built and opened in 1831, and special beds were set aside under the care of the Lecturers of the School for Midwifery and Diseases of Women. An Eye infirmary was also established in a nearby house.

In 1835 the curriculum was increased so as to cover a period of three winter and two summer sessions. Until 1849 there was little real clinical teaching by the medical school. Students' appointments were reorganised in 1849 and clinical teaching time was increased. In 1846 the Medical School introduced a common fee for all students, and the Medical Examining Council, later known as the Medical Council, was established to select which students should become dressers, clinical clerks, assistants and resident obstetric clerks. Guy's Medical School was the first to initiate such a system, and other schools soon followed.

A new dissecting room was built in 1850, with the old room used to enlarge the museum. Two small class rooms were added, one for the use of microscopical anatomy. Practical work was at first confined to clinical subjects and anatomy. Demonstrations in practical chemistry were first held in 1852, and in 1862 classes on the use of the microscope began. The classes gradually evolved into practical histology, and were taken over by the Physiology Department in 1871. Practical classes in botany, comparative anatomy and morbid histology appeared in the school prospectus a little later. A classroom for practical chemistry was added in 1871, and in 1873 the dissecting room was enlarged and additional classrooms provided for histology. A Residential College (Guy's Hospital College) was opened in 1890 by William Gladstone, after the number of resident posts was increased in 1888.

The Dental School was founded in 1889, and was an offshoot of the medical school. A course of dental surgery was given by Thomas Bell, Surgeon Dentist to the Hospital, and Mr Salter in 1855. The first lectures at Guy's on dental surgery were given by Joseph Fox in 1799 with the assistance of Astley Cooper. Frederick Newland-Pedley, who became dental surgeon to Guy's in 1887, campaigned for the establishment of a dental school attached to the Hospital. With the support of the Dean the School Meeting appointed a committee in 1888 which drew up a scheme approved by the Hospital Governors, and the school was opened in 1889. New school buildings to house the Dental School and the departments of physics, chemistry and bacteriology were opened in 1893. The number of students and variety of courses soon meant that the dental school outgrew its premises, and between 1909 and 1911 accommodation in the new outpatients' building and in the medical school was fitted and equipped. The school (as part of Guy's Hospital Medical School) was recognised as a school of the University of London in 1900, and a Board of Studies in Dentistry was formed in 1901. The Board drew up a curriculum and established a degree of Bachelor in Dental Surgery. A department of radiology was established in the Dental School in 1913, and in 1920 the first Dental Sub-Dean was appointed. Chairs were established in Dental Prosthetics in 1935, in Dental Surgery in 1938 and in Dental Medicine in 1946. A clinic for the treatment of chronic periodontal disease was founded by F S Warner, later becoming the Department of Preventative Dentistry.

A fifth year was added to the medical curriculum in 1892, and was an important factor leading to the rebuilding of the Medical School. Between 1896 and 1922 a new building was constructed to house the physiology department, a lectureship in experimental pathology was endowed and a new laboratory equipped. The Pathological Department was also refitted, a new library and museum were built and the school buildings were extended to take in the new departments of anatomy and biology. Sir Cosmo O Bonsor became Treasurer of the Hospital in 1896, and took a keen interest in the medical school, which received several important benefactions.

In 1925 a Board of Governors was created and made responsible directly to the Court, and a School Council established to take responsibility for the administration of the school and policy. In 1934 the Medical Research Committee offered to establish and maintain a Clinical Research Unit at Guy's, which was accepted. On the outbreak of the second world war the pre-clinical departments of the school were transferred to Tunbridge Wells, where a mansion was leased and adapted. The school returned to Guy's in 1944. The first women students at Guy's were admitted in 1947, following the Goodenough Report. Twelve were admitted.

On the foundation of the National Health Service in 1948 the Medical School became a separate legal entity from the Hospital. The Medical Schools of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals reunited as the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals (UMDS) in 1982. The new institution was then enlarged by the amalgamation of the Royal Dental Hospital of London School of Dental Surgery with Guy's Dental School on 1 August 1983 and the addition on the Institute of Dermatology on 1 August 1985. In 1990 King's College London began discussions with the United Schools and, following formal agreement to merge in 1992 and the King's College London Act 1997, the formal merger with UMDS took place on 1 August 1998. The merger created three new schools: the Guy's, King's and St Thomas' Schools of Medicine, of Dentistry and of Biomedical Sciences, and reconfigured part of the former School of Life, Basic Medical & Health Sciences as the new School of Health & Life Sciences.

Guy's Hospital Medical School

Guy's Hospital was founded in 1721 by Thomas Guy, a bookseller and publisher in London who made a large fortune from his business. As required by his will, an Act of Parliament was passed in 1725 establishing the Corporation of Governors for Guy's Hospital. The Governors administered the estates acquired by the hospital and managed the hospital through a committee (the Court of Committees) of twenty-one men named by Guy, including four doctors. Meetings of the General Court were short and occupied by formal business. The management of the two hospitals was at first closely associated, with Guy's seen as an annexe to Thomas's. All the arrangements and procedures at St Thomas's were adopted by Guy's, and there were some joint Governors and they had the same Treasurer until 1839.

The First Dean of the Medical School - Frederick Taylor was appointed in 1874. He was succeeded by E C Perry 1888, L E Shaw 1893, J Fawcett 1901, H L Eason 1904, H C Cameron 1912, L Bromley 1915, T B Johnston 1920, T J Evans 1937, and E R Boland 1945.

The position of School Secretary appears to have been formalised during the 1930s when J E H Winston was appointed. He retired in 1950, and was succeeded by W F Cook, 1950-1969, and Donald Bompas, from 1969-[1985].

This administrative structure altered when the Medical Schools of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals reunited as the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals (UMDS) in 1982. The new institution was then enlarged by the amalgamation of the Royal Dental Hospital of London School of Dental Surgery with Guy's Dental School on 1 August 1983 and the addition on the Institute of Dermatology on 1 August 1985. In 1990 King's College London began discussions with the United Schools and, following formal agreement to merge in 1992 and the King's College London Act 1997, the formal merger with UMDS took place on 1 August 1998. The merger created three new schools: the Guy's, King's and St Thomas' Schools of Medicine, of Dentistry and of Biomedical Sciences, and reconfigured part of the former School of Life, Basic Medical & Health Sciences as the new School of Health & Life Sciences.

Guy's Hospital Medical School

The Gull Studentship in Pathology and allied subjects was established in 1891 by W Cameron Gull. The Studentship was awarded for three years to candidates who had studied at the Medical School of Guy's Hospital. The Gordon Lectureship in Pathology was established in 1901 by the endowment of Robert Gordon. The Beaney Scholarship in Materia Medica was established in 1893, by Dr Beaney of Melbourne. The Scholarship was awarded for three years, to candidates who had studied at Guy's Medical School. The Sir Alfred Fripp Memorial Fellowship in Child Psychology at Guy's Hospital, was established in 1932. The Fellowship was awarded to a medical graduate, usually with experience in Paediatrics as well as in Psychological Medicine, for two years.

Guy's Hospital College Catering Company Limited was incoporated in 1926 and provided meals to staff and students at Guy's Hospital College. The company was wound up in 1981.

Guy's Hospital Medical School

The earliest resident appointment for students of Guy's Hospital Medical School was the Lying-in Charity, which was established in 1833, when 'resident accoucheurs' were appointed. In 1849 three senior pupils were appointed 'resident obstetric clerks' and were provided with board and accommodation in one of the houses in Maze Pond. They were required to be ready at all times to assist the pupils who attended the deliveries in the district.

The first house surgeon at Guy's Hospital was appointed in 1856 and was required to be a member of the Royal College of Surgeons. He held office for six months, was resident in the hospital and in the absence of the Surgeons and Assistant Surgeons was responsible for the whole surgical side of the hospital. From 1857 the House Surgeon was required to keep a journal 'entering therein everything which occurs by day or by night within the Hospital' and present it to the Treasurer every morning. In 1865 a non-resident Assistant House Surgeon was appointed, and from 1878 he too was given board and residence at the hospital and assigned duties in the wards. Another Assistant House was appointed to share the work in Outpatients, but was not resident at the hospital.

The first resident House Physician was appointed in 1865 to assist the Resident Apothecary in the care of patients in the wards, and assist in the Outpatient Department for three days a week. In 1866 the outpatient work was assigned to an Assistant House Physician who was not resident. In 1873 a second resident House Physician was appointed. On the opening of the Residential College for students in 1890 the number of resident appointments increased and a resident assistant was appointed for each member of staff.

In 1846 it was made obligatory for all students of Guy's Hospital Medical School to report cases. In 1836 Guy's Society for Clinical Reports was established by pupils. The influence of Thomas Addison was instrumental in the development of regular case reporting and the establishment of the Clincal Report Society at Guy's Hospital. He insisted on a higher standard of work from his clinical clerks and by 1828 had established a regular method of case taking.

By the 1840s senior pupils at Guy's Hospital were beginning to be utilised by the hospital. Selected pupils were trained by physicians in designated wards. A 'Clinicals' room was provided for the students and physicians for discussion of reports made by the Clinical Clerks, usually four selected from the advanced students. In 1871 the Clinical Clerks became Clinical Assistants, although they were more usually referred to as Clinicals.

Guy's Hospital Medical School

As early as 1839 the Treasurer of Guy's Hospital Medical School had attempted to provide a residential college for students but the plan failed as the School could not meet the expense. Before the establishment of the College, many students lived in poor conditions in the neighbourhood of the hospital. By 1885 the need for residential accommodation had become more urgent with the appointment of more resident house-officers by the Hospital. The Hospital agreed to help with the funding and a college was built on a site on Maze Pond next to the hospital. The College was formally opened in 1890. During the Second World War the College was badly damaged, and most of the building rebuilt and refurbished. The College was reopened in 1946 under the management of the Medical School. The College was later demolished to make way for the building of Guy's Tower.

Guy's Hospital Medical School

Important matters of policy and finance were discussed at staff meetings, which were called as the need arose. Originally attended by clinical staff, all senior members of staff were later called to attend. The annual School Meeting, presided over by the Treasurer was attended by all the teachers in the School. At theses meetings the Treasurer made a brief statement of the financial position and announced the value of the 'share' for the preceding year. The 'share' was the method of renumeration of the clinical staff until 1925, when it was replaced by a nominal salary. The accounting system of the medical school was mechanised in 1970.
Guy's Hospital College was a residential College which opened in 1890 after the number of resident posts was increased in 1888.

Guy's Hospital

Guy's Hospital Gazette was founded in 1872 by a student, T Cattell-Jones as a private venture. It was published by a committee who managed the Gazette, and in 1874 its management was taken over by the Pupils' Physical Society. Publication ceased from 1880 to 1887, due to a dispute between the Editor of the Gazette and the Governors of the Hospital. In 1900 the Physical Society gave up its interest in the Gazette, and the Committee became independent of any sections or societies of the Hospital and Medical School.

The Guyoscope was established in 1897 by Dr B Burnett-Ham, as a 'medical Punch', inspired by some caricatures of the teaching staff by Stanley Cock. Publication ceased in 1906, but was resumed briefly in 1920.

Guy's Hospital Medical College

Guy's Hospital was founded in 1721 by Thomas Guy, a bookseller and publisher in London who made a large fortune from his business. As required by his will, an Act of Parliament was passed in 1725 establishing the Corporation of Governors for Guy's Hospital. The Governors administered the estates acquired by the hospital and managed the hospital through a committee (the Court of Committees) of twenty-one men named by Guy, including four doctors. Meetings of the General Court were short and occupied by formal business. The management of the two hospitals was at first closely associated, with Guy's seen as an annexe to Thomas's. All the arrangements and procedures at St Thomas's were adopted by Guy's, and there were some joint Governors and they had the same Treasurer until 1839.

Before 1925 there was no formal constitution in existence for the Medical School. The two principal committees of the Medical School were the School Meeting, which dealt with School policy, and the Staff Meeting, which recommended staff appointments to the General Court or the Court of Committee. Important matters of policy and finance and all recommendations for appointments to the visiting staff of the hospital were discussed at Staff Meetings, which were called as the need arose. Originally attended by clinical staff, all senior members of staff were later called to attend. The annual School Meeting, presided over by the Treasurer, was attended by all the teachers in the School. At these meetings the Treasurer made a brief statement of the financial position and announced the value of the 'share' for the preceding year. The 'share' was the method of renumeration of the clinical staff until 1925, when it was replaced by a nominal salary. The Dental Council dealt with student entry and the general business of the Dental School, and the Medical Council dealt with student entry relating to the Medical School. Financial matters were overseen and regulated by the Finance Committee. The Medical Examining Council was established in 1846 to select which students should become dressers, clinical clerks, assistants and resident obstetric clerks. It became known as the Medical Council from 1866.

Under a new Scheme of Management, which became operative in October 1925, the constitution of the Medical School was reorganised and placed on a formal footing. A Board of Governors was created and made responsible directly to the Court. A School Council was established (taking the responsibilities of the School Meeting) to take responsibility for the administration of the school and policy, including appointing officers and teachers, subject to the powers of the Governors. All university professors and readers, heads of non-clinical departments were members, and representatives of the Medical Committee were elected to the Council. The School Council later became known as the Academic Board. The School buildings continued to legally owned by the Hospital Governors

In 1941 the school set up a Post-war Planning Committee, which later amalgamated with a similar committee set up by the Governors of the Hospital. The School Governors became known as the Council of Governors from 1947, and on the foundation of the National Health Service in 1948 the Medical School became a separate legal entity from the Hospital.

The Medical Schools of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals reunited as the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals (UMDS) in 1982. The new institution was then enlarged by the amalgamation of the Royal Dental Hospital of London School of Dental Surgery with Guy's Dental School on 1 August 1983 and the addition on the Institute of Dermatology on 1 August 1985. In 1990 King's College London began discussions with the United Schools and, following formal agreement to merge in 1992 and the King's College London Act 1997, the formal merger with UMDS took place on 1 August 1998. The merger created three new schools: the Guy's, King's and St Thomas' Schools of Medicine, of Dentistry and of Biomedical Sciences, and reconfigured part of the former School of Life, Basic Medical & Health Sciences as the new School of Health & Life Sciences.

The Evelina Children's Hospital was founded by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild in 1869, in memory of his wife Evelina. The hospital became closely associated with Guy's Hospital, and was closed in 1975.

Julius St Thomas Clarke, MS FRCS, surgeon, entered Guy's Hospital Medical School as pupil in 1860; married Hannah Vawser.

Astley Vavasour Clarke, born 7 Feb 1870, son of Julius St Thomas Clarke and Hannah nee Vawser; educated at Oakham School, Caius College, Cambridge, Guy's Hospital (entered Apr 1892) and abroad. Awarded: BA (Cantab) 1892, MD 1898, MB BCh 1895, MRCS LRCP London 1896, MA MD (Cantab) Deputy Lieutenant, County of Leicester, 1928. Held the positions of Honorary Physician, Leicester Royal Infirmary, 1896-1930, Hon Consultant Physician, Ministry of Pensions (East Midlands Div) 1920, Member Leicester and Rutland Territorial Association since 1910. Also Deputy Chairman Leicester City Health Committee; Chairman of City General Hospital; President Leicester Literary and Philosophical Society, 1912; President Leicester Medical Society 1911; Sheriff of Rutland, 1942. Retired in 1925; Married Ethel Mary Gee of Leicester, 1899. Died 21 Feb 1945.
Publications: Lyddington, Rutland. Some points in the village history (1936). Also contributed to various medical journals

Educated at Selwyn College Cambridge and Guy's Hospital (entered 1891). Awarded MD Camb, MA MB BCh 1894, BA Natural Science Tripos 1890, MRCS, LRCP London 1894, DPH Durham 1900.

Peter Curtis MRCS LRCP 1961, MBBS Lond 1962, MRCP 1967.
Registrar, Department of Physical Medicine, Guy's Hospital London; Medical Registrar, Hither Green Hospital, London, 1969; Department of Family Medicine, University of North Carolina, 1982.

Born 1908; educated, King's College School, Wimbledon, Queens' College Cambridge; BA 1930, 1st Class Hons Natural Science Tripos Pt II, 1931; Assistant in Zoology, University of Glasgow, 1932-1937; MA 1934; Assistant Lecturer and Lecturer in Zoology, University College, Cardiff, 1937-1948; MSc (Wales) 1943; Professor of Biology and Head of Biology Department, Guy's Hospital Medical School, 1948-1972; Reader in Biology, University of London, 1948-1955; Professor of Biology, University of London, 1955-1972; Chairman, British Universal Film Council, 1959-1963, 1967-1969; Emeritus Professor, University of London, 1972-1979; Fellow Cambridge Philosophical Society; Fellow Linnean Society; Fellow, Institute of Biology; Fellow, Zoological Society; died, 1979.
Publications: Report on Stomatopod Larvae, Cumacea and Cladocera [1930]; Stomatopod Larvæ, etc (London, 1939); various scientific papers, mainly dealing with the comparative study of the heart and blood system of vertebrate animals.

Garner , William Langham , fl 1891-1922

Educated at Cambridge University and Guy's Hospital, obtained BA Natural Science Tripos, 1891; MRCS, LRCP London 1896, and MB BCh Cambridge 1896.

Bankart , James , 1834-1902 , surgeon

Born in 1834, entered Guy's Hospital Medical School in 1854/1955, worked as Demonstrator of Anatomy at Guy's following his graduation until c 1866. Practiced as Surgeon in Exeter where he was Surgeon at the West of England Eye Infirmary, and member of staff and Senior Surgeon at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. Died in 1902.

Educated at Rugby, and Exeter College Oxford, MA 1944. Head of Anthony Gibbs and Sons, London; Director of Bank of England 1853-1901; Governor 1875-1877; MP (Conservative) City of London, 1891-1892; trustee of National Portrait Gallery; Member of Council, Keble College Oxford.
Married Louisa Adams, 1845. Created 1st Baron Aldenham, 1896. Died in 1907.

Gunning , John , d 1798 , surgeon

John Gunning was Assistant surgeon to St George's Hospital, London, from 21 Jan. 1760 to 4 Jan. 1765, and full surgeon from that date till his death.
In 1773 he was elected steward of anatomy by the Surgeons' Company, but paid the fine rather than serve. In 1789 he was elected examiner, and in the same year he was chosen master of the company. In 1790 Gunning was appointed the first professor of surgery; but he soon resigned on the plea that it occupied too much of his time, and no new appointment was made.
Gunning was in general opposed to his colleague at St. George's, John Hunter. The quarrel rose to a great pitch when a surgeon was elected in succession to Charles Hawkins. Keate was supported by Gunning, and Home by Hunter, and after a sharp contest Keate was elected. A dispute ensued about fees for surgical lectures, which led to a controversy between Gunning, senior surgeon, supported by two of his colleagues, and Hunter. It ended in John Hunter's dramatically sudden death on 16 Oct. 1793, immediately after being flatly contradicted by one of his colleagues, apparently Gunning.
Gunning had been appointed surgeon-general of the army in 1793, on the death of John Hunter; he was also senior surgeon extraordinary to the king. He died at Bath on 14 February 1798.

Born in 1644 or 1645, at Pritchard's Alley, Fair Street, Horselydown, Southwark the eldest child of Thomas Guy, lighterman and coalmonger, also described as citizen and carpenter. His father, an anabaptist, died When Thomas was eight years old. His mother returned to her native place, Tamworth, Staffs, where she married again in 1661. Thomas Guy was educated at Tamworth. In 1660 he was apprenticed for eight years to John Clarke, bookseller, in Mercers' Hall Porch, Cheapside, London. At the end of his apprenticeship, 1668, he was admitted by servitude a freeman of the Stationers' Company, and of the city, in 1673 he was admitted into the livery of the Stationers' Company. In 1668 he set up in business as a bookseller in the corner house at the junction of Cornhill and Lombard Street, with a stock worth about £200. At this time there was a large unlicensed traffic in English bibles printed in Holland, in which Guy is said to have joined extensively. The king's printers had complained of the infringement of their privilege, and made numerous seizures of Dutch printed bibles. At the same time they were underselling the universities, and trying to drive them out of competition. Before 1679 Guy and Peter Parker came to the aid of Oxford University and became university printers, in association with Bishop Fell and Dr Yates. They printed at Oxford numerous fine bibles, prayer-books, and school classics, and effectually checkmated the king's printers, both in litigation and in business. But certain members of the Stationers' Company succeeded in ousting them from their contract in 1691-2, after a sharp contest. Guy imported type from Holland and sold bibles largely for many years. He also published numerous other books. Having accumulated money he invested it in various government securities, and especially in seamen's pay-tickets. In 1695 Guy became member of parliament for Tamworth, where he had in 1678 founded an almshouse for six poor women, enlarged in 1693 to accommodate fourteen men and women. Guy sat until 1707, when he was rejected, and declined a request from his constituents to stand again. Guy early became somewhat noted as a philanthropist. He had maintained his almshouse in Tamworth entirely himself, and among other benefactions to Tamworth he built a town hall in 1701, which is still standing. Many of his poor and distant relations received stated allowances from him. He spent much money in discharging insolvent debtors and reinstating them in business, and in relieving distressed families. In 1709 he contributed largely for the poor refugees from the palatinate; and often sent friendless persons to St Thomas's Hospital with directions to the steward to give them assistance at his own cost.
In 1704 Guy became a governor of St. Thomas's Hospital, and thereafter was one of its principal and active managers. In 1707 he built and furnished three new wards in the hospital for sixty-four patients, at a cost of £1,000, and from 1708 contributed £100 yearly towards their support. He also improved the stone front and built a new entrance from the Borough, and two new houses at the south-west of the hospital.
In 1720 Guy is said to have possessed £45,500 of the original South Sea Stock. The £100 shares gradually rose. Guy began to sell out at £300, and sold the last of his shares at £600. Having thus a vast fortune he decided to carry out a project long contemplated, of providing for the numerous patients who either could not be received in St. Thomas's Hospital, or were discharged thence as incurable. He consequently in 1721 took a lease from the St. Thomas's governors of a piece of ground opposite the hospital for 999 years, and, having pulled down a number of small houses, began the erection of a hospital on the site in 1722, intending to place it under the same administration. When the building was raised to the second story, he changed his mind and decided to have a separate government. The building, which cost £18,793, was roofed in before the founder's death, which took place on 27 Dec 1724 in his eightieth year.
Guy's will was signed on 4 Sep 1724, and bequeaths lands and tenements in Staffordshire, Warwickshire, and Derbyshire to grandchildren of his deceased sister, about £75,000 in four per cent annuities, mostly in sums of £1,000 to about ninety cousins in various degrees, as well as some persons apparently not relatives, and annuities varying from £10 to £200 per annum to others, mostly older relatives, being the interest on about £22,000 stock. One thousand pounds was left to discharge poor debtors in London, Middlesex, or Surrey, in sums not exceeding £5 each. Four hundred pounds per annum was left to Christ's Hospital for the board and education of four poor children annually, to be nominated by the executors, the governors of Guy's, with preference to Guy's relations. His almshouse and library at Tamworth was left in trust for the maintenance of fourteen poor persons of parishes surrounding Tamworth, excluding the town itself, preference being given to his own poor relations, a portion of the endowment being applied to apprenticing children, and nursing four, six, or eight persons of the families of Wood or Guy; while £1,000 was left to other persons for charitable purposes. The remainder of his fortune, amounting to more than £200,000, was left to Sir Gregory Page, bart., Charles Joye, treasurer of St. Thomas's Hospital, and several other of its governors, including Dr. Richard Mead, to complete his hospital for four hundred sick persons who might not be received into other hospitals from being deemed incurable, or only curable by long treatment; lunatics, up to the number of twenty, were to be received for similar reasons; but full discretion was given to the executors for varying the application of the funds. The executors and trustees were desired to procure an act of parliament incorporating them with other persons named, all governors of St. Thomas's, to the number of fifty, with a president and treasurer; they were to purchase lands, ground rents, or estates with the residuary estate, and maintain the hospital by the proceeds, any surplus to be applied to the benefit of poor sick persons or for other charitable uses. The required act of parliament was obtained in the same year (11 George I, cap. xii.), and gave power to the executors to set up a monument to Guy in the chapel.

John Sebastian Helmcken was born at Whitechapel, London, 1824; educated at St George's German and English School, 1828; apprentice to Dr Graves to train as a chemist and druggist, 1839-1841; student, Guy's Hospital, 1844; first prize for Practical Chemistry and second prize for Materia Medica, 1845; Licentiate of the Apothecaries Company, 1847; won one of the two Pupils Physical prizes; Ship's Surgeon with the Hudson's Bay Company, 1847; made voyages to Hudson's Bay and Bombay, India; admitted to the Royal College of Surgeons, 1848; surgeon for the Hudson's Bay Company emigrants, Vancouver Island, 1850; Hudson's Bay Company surgeon to Fort Rupert in May 1850; appointed magistrate in 1850; maintained private practice in Victoria; member of the first Legislative Assembly of Vancouver Island for Esquimalt and Victoria, 1856; Speaker of the Assembly, 1856-1866; elected as a member for Esquimalt/Metchosin, 1860; President of the Board of Directors for the Royal Jubilee Hospital, 1862-1872, as well as serving as Doctor to the Jail; Chief Trader of the Hudson's Bay Company, 1863-1870; Surgeon, Hudson's Bay Company at Victoria, 1863; elected to the Legislative Council of British Columbia for Victoria/Esquimalt, 1866; re-elected to the Legislative Council, 1868; one of three negotiators at Ottawa to negotiate British Columbia's entry into Canada; appointed to the Executive Council of British Columbia, 1869; retired from politics, 1871; continued practicing medicine as physician to the jail until retiring, 1910; President, British Columbia Medical Association, 1885; died, 1920.
Publications include: The reminiscences of Doctor John Sebastian Helmcken edited by Dorothy Blakey Smith (University of British Columbia Press [1975]); To the electors of Esquimalt and Metchosin District. gentlemen, the Legislative Assembly has been dissolved, a general election will shortly ensue [1863?]; To the electors of Esquimalt and Metchosin District. fellow colonists having received an address signed by several of the electors in our district, requesting me again to become a candidate for your suffrage etc [1863?].

William Jacobson was born on 18 July 1803, the son of William Jacobson, a merchant's clerk, of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, and his wife Judith Clarke. He was educated at Mr Brewers school in Norwich; Homerton (nonconformist) College, London; and Glasgow University 1822-1823. On 3 May 1823 he was admitted commoner of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford. In May 1825 he was elected scholar of Lincoln College (B.A. in 1827), taking a second class in literæ humaniores. He was a private tutor in Ireland until 1829. He then returned to Oxford, obtained the Ellerton theological prize, was elected fellow at Exeter on 30 June, and proceeded M.A. On 6 June 1830 he was ordained deacon, was appointed to the curacy of St. Mary Magdalen, Oxford, and was ordained priest the following year. In 1832 he was appointed vice-principal of Magdalen Hall.
In 1839 he became perpetual curate of Iffley, near Oxford, was made public orator of the university in 1842, and was chosen select preacher in 1833, 1842, and 1863, but did not serve on the last occasion. By the advice of Lord John Russell, then prime minister, Jacobson was in 1848 promoted to the regius professorship of divinity at Oxford, which carried with it a canonry of Christ Church, and at that time also the rectory of Ewelme, Oxfordshire. In politics he was a liberal, and he was chairman of Mr. W. E. Gladstone's election committee at Oxford in 1865. On 23 June 1865 he accepted the offer of the see of Chester, and was consecrated on 8 July.
Failure of health caused him to resign his bishopric in February 1884. He died on 13 July 1884. His portrait, painted by Richmond, has been engraved. He married, on 23 June 1836, Eleanor Jane, youngest daughter of Dawson Turner.
Publications: An edition of Dean Alexander Nowell's Catechismus, with Life, 1835, 1844; an edition of the extant writings of the Patres Apostolici, with title S. Clementis Romani, S. Ignatii ¼ quæ supersunt, &c., 2 vols. 1838, 1840, 1847, 1863; an edition of the Works of Robert Sanderson, bishop of Lincoln, 6 vols., 1854, and a few smaller books, sermons, and charges. He also wrote annotations on the Acts of the Apostles for the Speaker's Commentary.

One of Jacobson's sons was W H A Jacobson (d. 1924), entered Guy's Hospital 1869, was Assistant Surgeon at Guy's, 1876-1900 and then Surgeon until 1908.

Born in Cambridge, 1845, entered Guy's 1861/62; MD Brux (Honours in Midwifery), 1879; LRCP Lond 1869, MRCS Eng & LM 1865, LSA 1863. Barraclough was Chief Medical Officer during the 1868 Cholera epidemic in London.

The Physical Society of Guy's Hospital was founded in 1771, and was London's first medical society. It was not initially associated with Guy's Hospital, but met in the theatre of Dr Lowder in Southwark, a private teacher of midwifery as well as lecturer at St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals. The first meeting was held at Guy's Hospital between 1780 and 1782. The society met weekly from October to May to hear and discuss a dissertation and exchange medical news and cases. At the early meetings the chairman was usually Dr Haighton, Lecturer in Physiology and Midwifery at St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals. The society was open to physicians, surgeons, apothecaries and pupils, and members largely comprised the officers of the Guy's and Thomas's Hospitals and practitioners in the area. On the establishment of other medical societies in London its popularity declined, and the Society closed in 1852.