Guy's Hospital Reports was first published in 1836, and contained papers by staff and lecturers of the Hospital. Supervision of the publication of the Reports was undertaken by the Schools Meeting and later by the Advisory Committee of Guy's Hospital Reports. The Editorial Committee oversaw the printing, circulation, advertising and subscriptions. Publication of the Reports was discontinued in 1974 due to the increasing costs of production.
Guy's Society for Clinical Reports was established in 1836 by pupils, with the support of the Treasurer Benjamin Harrison. The Society's aim was 'to preserve and disseminate useful information collected by pupils from the Hospital'. The influence of Thomas Hodgkin appears to have been instrumental in the establishment of the Society.
All students attending the hospital were eligible to be members. The students of the Society were allotted in groups to each Physician and Surgeon to report selected cases. They met once a week in the clincial report room of the hospital to describe the cases of most interest. Reports of each case were to be drawn up in 'a condensed tabular shape according to a formula arranged by the society', and were expected to be in minute detail. The wards were arranged in two divisions, and their reports were given to the Secretary on alternate weeks, the completed cases extracted and the papers returned. A daily list of admissions of the previous day and a journal of cases recording all cases in the hospital were also kept in the report room. In 1846 it was made obligatory for all students to report cases, partly due to the success of the Clinical Report Society.
The Dental Society of Guy's Hospital was established in 1894. Papers on dental cases were presented and discussed at meetings of the Society.
Guy's '89 Club was founded in 1895 as an annual dining club for the first year students at Guy's Hospital during the period 1889-1890, and the third year students during the year 1891-1892.
The 'Guyites' Club was founded in 1845, to 'perpetuate the friendship which existed amongst its members during their studentship at Guy's Hospital'. The Club held an annual dinner, which was continued by the Junior Guyites Club.
Guy's Hospital Medical Research Club was open to Medical School staff, holders of research appointments and the Resident Surgical Officer, or any elected hospital researcher. The club met for informal discussions on scientific research.
The Physical Society of Guy's Hospital was founded in 1771, and London's first medical society. It was not initially associated with Guy's Hospital, but met in the theatre of Dr Lowder in Southwark, a private teacher of midwifery as well as lecturer at St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals. The first meeting was held at Guy's Hospital between 1780 and 1782. The society met weekly from October to May to hear and discuss a dissertation and exchange medical news and cases. At the early meetings the chairman was usually Dr Haighton, Lecturer in Physiology and Midwifery at St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals. The society was open to physicians, surgeons, apothecaries and pupils, and members largely comprised the officers of the Guy's and Thomas's Hospitals and practitioners in the area. On the establishment of other medical societies in London its popularity declined, and the society closed in 1852.
The Physical Society of the Students of the United Hospitals of St Thomas and Guy met to discuss medical cases of interest and essays on medical subjects. After the establishment of an independent medical school by Guy's Hospital in 1825 both hospitals continued to support physical societies.
The Physiological Society of Guy's Hospital was founded by Professor Pembrey, who was head of the Physiology Department of Guy's Hospital Medical School from 1900 to 1933. The Society was founded to encourage students to learn how to collect and present scientific information and manage the affairs of a society.
The Pupil's Physical Society of Guy's Hospital was originally started in 1830 as a student's society for the discussion of subjects of medical and surgical importance, showing of interesting cases and reading papers. It was managed by a Committee of Presidents, elected by the society from the senior students and house officers. The ordinary meetings were attended by students only, and intended as a forum for discussing medical problems.
Guy's Hospital Clubs' Union was formed in 1891, on the amalgamation of various societies and clubs established for students and staff of the Hospital and Medical School. The constituent institutions included the Football Club, Athletics Club, Cricket Club, Bicycle Club, Guy's Hospital Gazette, Tennis Club, Physical Society, Prayer Union, Rugby Club and Student's Club. The Clubs' Union grounds were purchased in 1891 and situated in Honor Oak, London. The Clubs' Union was later known as Guy's Hospital Medical School Clubs' Union and later became the Students' Union.
The Students' Club of Guy's Hospital was established in the 1882. The Club provided a dining hall, cafeteria, lounge and common rooms in the residential college of the medical school. The club also ran two common rooms, a table-tennis room, music room, billiards room, committee room, bar/lounge and quiet games room in the Newcommen Street premises of the school. The Students' Club was reformed in 1958 on its amalgamation with the Students' Union. The Clubs' Union Council merged with the Student's Club in 1973.
In the eighteenth and first part of the nineteenth century students at Guy's Hospital were required to serve an apprenticehip of five to seven years, and then 'walk the hospital' as a surgeon's dresser or physician's pupil for six to twelve months. Most entered as pupils, with the dressers attached to a particular surgeon and paying a larger fee. Apprentices, pupils and dressers all attended courses of lectures on anatomy, surgery, midwifery, medicine and chemistry, with a separate fee for each course. Teaching was a joint undertaking with nearby St Thomas's Hospital, the two being known as the United Hospitals of the Borough. Students attended operations and lectures at both hospitals. Medical education at Guy's was put on an official footing in 1769, when the wards were officially opened to students by a Governors' resolution, and was the beginning of the official union of the schools of the two hospitals. The resolution of the Governors gave an official stamp of approval to existing arrangements, and also proposed that the surgeons of the hospital should occasionally give practical lessons on surgery to the pupils.
Henry Cline the elder (1750-1827) was the first lecturer to attract a large number of pupils and establish a school of anatomy and surgery at St Thomas's. When the School of the United Hospitals came into existence, St Thomas's delivered the anatomical and surgical lectures, which were those most in demand and for which all pupils were prepared to pay fees. Guy's established courses in medicine, chemistry, botany, physiology and natural philosophy. The pupils were apprentices whose masters had instructed them in physic, and went to the hospital for six months to a year to complete their training.
Between 1768 and 1825, during the existence of the School of the United Hospitals, Guy's students attended lectures at St Thomas's or private establishments such as the Windmill Street School. A disagreement with St Thomas's over the appointment of a successor to Sir Astley Cooper as Lecturer in Surgery and Anatomy led to the establishment of an independent medical school at Guy's in 1825. The Governors agreed to erect more buildings for the School, with a large lecture theatre (the Anatomical theatre), museum and dissecting room erected.
In 1835 the curriculum was increased so as to cover a period of three winter and two summer sessions. Until 1849 there was little real clinical teaching by the medical school. Students' appointments were reorganised in 1849, a direct outcome of the formation of a Clinical Report Society.
In 1846 the Medical School introduced a common fee for all students, rather than continuing with the old system whereby students paid varying fees according to their entry, with students entering as dressers or surgical pupils paying higher fees. The Medical Examining Council, later known as the Medical Council, was established to select which students should become dressers, clinical clerks, assistants and resident obstetric clerks. Guy's Medical School was the first to initiate such a system, and other schools soon followed.
Practical work was at first confined to clinical subjects and anatomy. Demonstrations in practical chemistry were first held in 1852, and in 1862 classes on the use of the microscope began. The classes gradually evolved into practical histology, and were taken over by the Physiology Department in 1871. Practical classes in botany, comparative anatomy and morbid histology appeared in the school prospectus a little later. A classroom for practical chemistry was added in 1871, and in 1873 the dissecting room was enlarged and additional classrooms provided for histology. A Residential College (Guy's Hospital College) was opened in 1890 by William Gladstone, after the number of resident posts was increased in 1888.
The Dental School was founded in 1889, and was an offshoot of the medical school. A course of Dental Surgery was given by Thomas Bell, Surgeon Dentist to the Hospital and Mr Salter in 1855. The first lectures at Guy's on dental surgery were given by Joseph Fox in 1799 with the assistance of Astley Cooper on 'Structure and Diseases of the Teeth'. The school was opened in 1889, and the first dental students admitted. New school buildings to house the Dental School and departments of physics, chemistry, bacteriology were opened in 1893. A Board of Studies in Dentistry was formed in 1901, and drew up a curriculum and established a degree of Bachelor in Dental Surgery.
A fifth year was added to the medical curriculum in 1892, and was an important factor leading to the rebuilding of the Medical School. In 1927 a 3 months preliminary clinical period was inserted into curruculum between the pre-clinical and clinical training. A clinical tutor was appointed to take charge of the class, and special accommodation for it provided a few years later.
On the outbreak of the second world war the pre-clinical departments of the school and students were transferred to Tunbridge Wells, where a mansion was leased and adapted. Medical education was recognised as an essental occupation and medical students were not called up for active service. The school returned to Guy's in 1944. The first women students at Guy's were admitted in 1947, following the Goodenough Report. Twelve were admitted.
On the foundation of the National Health Service in 1948 the Medical School became a separate legal entity from the Hospital. The Medical Schools of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals reunited as the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals (UMDS) in 1982. The new institution was then enlarged by the amalgamation of the Royal Dental Hospital of London School of Dental Surgery with Guy's Dental School on 1 August 1983.
In 1990 the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals (UMDS) began discussions with King's College London and, following formal agreement to merge in 1992 and the King's College London Act 1997, the formal merger took place on 1 August 1998. The merger created three new schools: the Guy's, King's and St Thomas' Schools of Medicine, of Dentistry and of Biomedical Sciences.
Born, Aberdeen, 1736; educated, school at Fouran, University of Aberdeen; trained with his his uncle, Dr John Fordyce of Uppingham, [1851-1855]; medical student, University of Edinburgh, 1855; M D, 1758; studied anatomy under Albinus at Leyden, 1759; commenced a course of lectures on chemistry, 1759; added courses on materia medica and the practice of physic, 1764, and continued to teach for nearly thirty years; licentiate of the College of Physicians, 1765; Physician, St Thomas's Hospital, 1770-1802; Fellow, Royal Society, 1776; 'speciali gratia' fellow of the College of Physicians, 1787; important part in compiling the new 'Pharmacopeia Londinensis,' issued 1788. assisted in forming a Society for the Improvement of Medical and Chirurgical Knowledge, 1793; died, 1802.
Publications include: Elements of Agriculture and Vegetation, [Edinburgh, 1765]; Elements of the Practice of Physic third edition (J Johnson London, 1771); A Treatise on the digestion of food (London, 1791); A Dissertation on Simple Fever, or on fever consisting of one paroxysm only (J Johnson, London, 1794); A second dissertation on fever; containing the history and method of treatment of a regular tertian intermittent (London, 1795); A third dissertation on fever Containing the history and method of treatment of a regular continued fever, supposing it is left to pursue its ordinary course (London, 1798-99); A Fourth Dissertation on Fever. Containing the history of, and remedies to be employed in irregular intermitting fevers (J Johnson, London, 1802); A fifth dissertation on fever, containing the history of, and remedies to be employed in, irregular continued fevers edited by W C Wells (J Johnson, London, 1803).
Daniel Jarvis gained an M. D.
The first nursing staff were appointed to Guy's Hospital by the Court of Committees, 11 May 1725. In 1877, the Superintendent and one of the physicians began giving lectures to nurses. Guy's Hospital School of Nursing was established in 1880. E Cooper Perry, Dean of Guy's Hospital Medical School and Superintendant of the Hospital, directed a significant reorganisation of nursing provision and training at Guy's Hospital. In 1902 the Henrietta Raphael Nurses Home opened. Applicants for appointment as probationers were received for preliminary training courses before entering the wards. That same year the Guy's Past and Present Nurses League was formed. In 1923, the age of entry for Probationer Nurses was reduced from 23 to 21 years. In 1924, nurses from the Cancer Hospital, Royal Ophthalmic Hospital and Royal Sea-Bathing Hospital, Margate, were admitted for two years further training at Guy's, in order to obtain registration. By 1929, the length of training stood at three and a half years, by 1937, it had been extended to four years.
In 1932, the Women's Training School was established to manage the School of Nursing, the School of Massage and Medical Gymnastics, and the School of Electrotherapy and Radiography. In 1939, the School of Midwifery was added to its responsibilities. About 1945, the Preliminary Training School moved to Holmsdale, Redhill, and the nurses attended the Redhill Technical School for some courses as well as one day per week at Guy's Hospital. In 1965, it was returned to the Guy's Hospital site.
The Park Fever Hospital, at Hither Green, South East London, opened 1897. Its name was changed in 1957 to Hither Green Hospital. The hospital closed in 1997.
Student nurses at Hither Green Hospital appear to have worked at St John's Hospital, Lewisham, as well as at Hither Green during their training.
Born in London, 1900; educated at Mary Datchelor School, Camberwell, and London School of Medicine for Women, 1921-1924; qualified as Doctor of Medicine and Member of the Royal College of Physicians, 1927; Clinical Assistant, the West End Hospital for Nervous Diseases, 1926-1930; First Assistant and Registrar, Children's Department, Royal Free Hospital, 1927-1929; Assistant and subsequently Physician, Prince Louise Hospital for Children, Kensington, 1929-1934; Fellow in Psychiatry, London Child Guidance Clinic, 1931; Temporary Assistant Medical Officer, Maudsley Hospital, 1932-1934; married Aubrey Lewis, 1934; Honorary Psychiatrist in charge of Children's' Psychiatric Department, St George's Hospital, 1938-1940; Physician, Ontario Hospital, Canada, 1940-1944; Psychiatric adviser to the National Council of Social Service Adoption Committee 1945-1947; Psychiatric adviser to Conference of Societies Registered for Adoption; Psychiatrist, Mersham Reception Centre, Kent, 1947-1952; Psychiatrist, Children's Society, 1948; published Deprived children: the Mersham experiment, a social and clinical study (Oxford University Press, 1954); Chairman of the Standing Conference of the Societies Registered for Adoption; Psychiatrist for the Children's Society Adoption Committee 1958; Company Director: Marie Stopes Memorial Foundation Ltd. 1960-, Society for Constructive Birth Control Ltd. 1960; elected Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, 1966; died, 1966.
Born Pongaroa, New Zealand, 1916; family moved to Birmingham, UK, 1923; educated, King Edward School, Birmingham, 1929-1935, and St John's College, Cambridge, 1935-1938; joined Cambridge Scientists Anti-War Group and Communist Party; conducted research on luminescence in solids under John Randall, Physics Dept, Birmingham University, 1938-1940; PhD on thermoluminescence in solids, 1940; worked on improvements to radar screens, Ministry of Home Security and Aircraft Production, 1940-1941; worked on the separation of uranium isotopes for British atomic bomb research, codenamed the Tube Alloys Project, 1941-1944; worked at University of California at Berkeley, USA, on the Manhattan Project for the production of the atomic bomb, 1944-1945; Lecturer in Physics, St Andrews University, 1945; Researcher, Medical Research Council Biophysics Unit, Physics Department, King's College London, 1946-1958; Lecturer in Biophysics, King's College London, 1958-1963; awarded Nobel Prize for Medicine, 1962, jointly with James Watson and Francis Crick; Professor of Molecular Biology, King's College London, 1963-1970; President and co-founder, British Society for Social Responsibility in Science (BSSRS), 1969-1991; Professor of Biophysics, King's College London, 1970-1981; devised inter-disciplinary undergraduate course, 'The social impact of the biosciences', 1972; Director, Medical Research Council Cell Biophysics Unit, 1974-1981; Emeritus Professor of Biophysics, KCL, 1981-2004; President, Food and Disarmament International, 1984-2004; died, 2004.
Born, [1883]; Deacon, 1908; Priest, 1909; Curate of Blackhill, County Durham, 1908-1909; University of Durham, BA 1909, MA 1912; Curate of St Andrew, Tudhoe Granbe, 1909-1911; Bachelor of Divinity, London, 1915; Curate of St Luke, Kentish Town, 1911-1916; Organising Secretary, St Andrews Waterside Mission, 1919; Curate of Little Wakering, Southend on Sea.
Born 1832 in Gravesend; educated at King's School, Rochester and at King's College London where he was a student of the General Literature and Science course,1850; University College, Oxford, 1851-1854; BA, 1854; MA, 1856; Scholar and Newdigate Prizeman, 1852; wrote Poems, narrative and lyrical (Francis Macpherson, Oxford, 1853); Second English Master at King Edward's School, Birmingham, 1854-1856; Principal of Government Deccan College, Poona, Bombay, 1856-1861; studied Eastern and Oriental languages and at this time was author of a number of translations and histories including The Marquis of Dalhousie's administration of British India 2 vols (Saunders, Otley and Co., London, 1862); returned to England, 1861 and became leader-writer on The Daily Telegraph and chief editor, 1873; made CSI, 1877; his Eastern education inspired his popular epic poem, The light of Asia (Trübner and Co., London, 1879), which achieved notoriety in England and America; made KICE, 1888; became Travelling commissioner for the Telegraph, 1888, visited Japan and the Pacific coast, 1889, resulting in a series of publications including Wandering words (Longmans and Co., London, 1894), and East and West (Longmans and Co, London, 1896); visited America on a reading tour, 1891; died 1904.
Robinson trained as a nurse at King's College Hospital, London, 1908-1911.
The Maudsley Hospital Medical School was opened in 1923. It was associated to the Maudsley Hospital, which was established in 1914 to treat the mentally ill. It was officially recognised by the University of London in [1933]. In 1948 it became a founder member of the newly formed British Postgraduate Medical Federation and changed its name to the Institute of Psychiatry. Maudsley Hospital amalgamated with the Bethlem Royal Hospital to form a joint teaching hospital in 1948. The Institute of Psychiatry became a school of King's College London in 1997.
The Dean of the Institute of Psychiatry provides academic and strategic leadership and is supported by the Institute Secretary, who is responsible for the day to day management of the Institute.
Born in Egham, Surrey, 1825; studied at University College London, 1841-1842; studied mathematics at Trinity Hall Cambridge, 1843-1846; founded branch of Church Missionary Society at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, [1843]; studied law at Lincoln's Inn, 1846-1849; joined the Philological Society, 1847; joined the Christian Socialist movement, 1848; jointly opened a school for poor boys and men at Little Ormond Yard, Bloomsbury, London, 1848; called to the bar at Gray's Inn, 1849; practiced law as a conveyancer, 1850-1872; jointly opened a working men's association near Oxford Street, London, 1852; became secretary of the Philological Society, 1853-1910; jointly opened Working Men's College, Red Lion Square, London, 1854, teaching English Grammar and literature, organising social events and inaugurating the Maurice Rowing Club and Furnivall Cycling Club for its students; within Philological Society formed Unregistered Words Committee with Richard Chevenix Trench and Herbert Coleridge, 1857, resulting in the proposal for a New English Dictionary on Historical Principles [later published as the Oxford English Dictionary], 1859; took over editing duties of dictionary when first official editor Herbert Coleridge died, 1861-1876; founded Early English Text Society, 1864; lost his inheritance through the collapse of the Overend & Gurney Bank, 1867, leaving him short of money for most of his life; founded Chaucer Society, 1868; founded the Ballad Society, 1868; unsuccessfully tried to form Lydgate & Occleve Society, 1872; founded the New Shakspere Society, 1873; founded Sunday Shakspere Society, 1874; embroiled in acrimonious dispute with Algernon Swinburne and Thomas Halliwell Phillips over attribution of Shakespeare's works, 1876-1881; founded Wycliff Society, 1881; awarded civil list pension, 1884; founded Shelley Society at the suggestion of Henry Sweet, 1886; lost libel lawsuit brought by the actor Leonard Outram, over accusations of impropriety in the arrangements for a performance of Strafford organised by the Browning Society, 1888; founded the National Amateur Rowing Association, 1891; formed the Hammersmith Girls Sculling Club (later the Furnivall Club) the first all female rowing club, 1896; Honorary Fellow of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, 1902; Member of the British Academy, 1902; founded Gifford Street Foster Homes scheme, 1907; vice president of the Spelling Reform Society, 1907; died, 1910.
Publications: Include: Association a Necessary Part of Christianity (1850); The Sabbath-Day: an Address to the Members of the Working Men's College (1856).
As editor: La Queste del Saint Graal (London: J B Nichols and Sons for the Roxburghe Club, 1849); Robert of Brunne's "Handlyng synne" written A.D. 1303, with the French treatise on which it is founded, Le Manuel des Pechiez, by William of Wadington London (London: J B Nichols for the Roxburghe Club, 1862); Le morte Arthur: edited from the Harleian Ms. 2252 in the British Museum (London: Macmillan, 1864); The wright's chaste wife…a merry tale by Adam of Cobsam, from a MS in the library of the Archbishop of Canterbury (London: Early English Text Society Original Series 12, 1865); Bishop Percy's folio manuscript: ballads and romances (London: N Trübner & Co, 1867-1868); Hymns to the Virgin & Christ: the parliament of devils, and other religious poems, chiefly from the Archbishop of Canterbury's Lambeth MS 853 (London: Early English Text Society Original Series 24, 1867-1868); Education in early England: some notes used as forewords to a collection of treatises on "Manners and meals in olden time" (London: Early English Text Society Ordinary Series 32, 1867); A six-text print of Chaucer's Canterbury tales (London: Published for the Chaucer Society by N Trübner, 1869-77); The fraternitye of vacabondes by John Awdeley ... from the edition of 1575 in the Bodleian Library (London Early English Text Society Extra Series 9, 1869); The fyrst boke of the introduction of knowledge made by Andrew Borde, of physycke doctor… (London: Early English Text Society Extra Series 10, 1870); The Succession of Shakspere's works and the use of metrical tests in settling it (London: Smith, Elder & Co, 1874); Introduction to The Leopold Shakspere : the poet's works, in chronological order (London: Cassell, Petter & Galpin, [1877]); The pilgrimage of the life of man, Englished by John Lydgate, A.D. 1426, from the French of Guillaume de Deguileville, A.D. 1330, 1355 (London: Printed for the Roxburghe Club by Nichols and Sons, 1905); The tale of Beryn: with a prologue of the merry adventure of the pardoner with a tapster at Canterbury (London: Early English Text Society Extra Series 105, 1909).
In 1967 a committee was appointed to be responsible for establishing a computer service for King's College London, this became the King's College Computer Unit. Dr D C Knight was appointed as Computing Manager and plans were made to convert a former Chemical Engineering Laboratory to house a small computer for the joint use of King's College London and the London School of Economics, linked to a main computer at the University of London Senate House. In October 1969 the Computer Centre at King's was officially inaugurated. From May 1968, the King's College Computer Unit published a newsletter suggesting that King's College London would be provided with a computer of its own; this was intended for use within academic departments, for administrative staff, research, data processing and information retrieval.
In 1980 the centre became King's College Computer Centre and no longer required use of the main University of London Computer Centre. In 1985 King's College London merged with Queen Elizabeth College and Chelsea College, having facilities on the Strand Campus, Kensington Campus and Chelsea Campus. The Strand site also contained the Humanities Computing Laboratory, (now removed to the Centre for Computing in the Humanities).
The Centre provided advice and support for Computer Assisted Learning applications and support and assistance for members of the College wanting to use facilities of external computer centres, including the University of London Computer Centre. By 1988 the King's College Computer Centre had expanded and was managed by the Director of Computer Services and had eight separate divisions; Humanities and Information Management, Science and Engineering, Communications, KCSMD, Management Information Systems, Microsystems and Computing Services Development, Systems and Operations. From 1985 the Director reported to Information Services and Systems.
Following several restructurings the Centre has been variously known as ISS Computing Centre [1990], Information Systems (2002) and IT Systems (2006), sitting within Information Services and Systems department.
The Department of Nutrition and Dietetics at King's College London developed the Low Income Diet Methods Study in 2001. It was funded by the Food Standards Agency, as a result of growing concern about the diets of people on low incomes and primarily focused on the reasons inhibiting people from eating healthily. The research project compliments the National Diet and Nutrition Survey programme which collects information on the dietary habits and nutritional status of the UK population.
The study had three aims; to compare the effectiveness and acceptability of three dietary survey methods in a cross-section of people living on low income; to make recommendations regarding sampling techniques and dietary methodology appropriate for a pilot study and a national study of diet and low income; to investigate food consumption, eating patterns and nutrient intakes in low income households relating to deprivation indicators, food security measures and other household characteristics and circumstances. 411 respondents completed the study during 2001 and the results are based upon an analysis of 384 subjects in 240 households, including 159 males and 225 females aged 2-90 years, all being obese.
Dr Michael Nelson, senior lecturer at King's College London, was project director, assisted by staff including Dr Bridget Holmes. This project resulted in the publication of a report to the Food Standards Agency, Low income diet methods study, (2003).
The Low Income Diet and Nutrition Survey (LIDNS) was commissioned by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and was carried out by three organisations; the Health Research Group at the National Centre for Social Research, the Nutritional Sciences Research Division at King's College London and the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at the Royal Free and University College London Medical School. The survey evaluated eating habits, nourishment and nutrition-related health of people on low income and had many aims.
These aims include providing information concerning food and nutrient intakes; to measure health-related factors associated with diet, such as height, weight and blood pressure; to measure levels of physical activity; to analyse smoking and oral health in relation to diet and to evaluate relationships between diet and the risk of developing diseases.
3,728 people from 2,477 low-income households were included in the survey, having been identified as being within the bottom 15% of the population in terms of material deprivation. Research data was collected via interviews and questionnaires, 24-hour recalls of diet, physical measurements and blood samples. Dr Michael Nelson, senior lecturer at King's College London was Principal Investigator in the national survey of diet in low income households; operations staff, principal programmers and data managers were also based at King's College London. The results were published within Low Income Diet and Nutrition Survey Summary of Key Findings, 2007.
The Department of Nutrition and Dietetics at King's College London developed the Primary School Meals Research Project, 2004-2005. It was funded by the Department for Education and Skills and the Food Standards Agency, as a result of growing concern about childrens' diets and the quality of school meals.
In 1941, the first nutritional standards for school meals were established and later updated several times and for the last time in 1975. However, the Education Act, 1980, removed such nutritional standards and obligations from Local Education Authorities. In 2001 statutory National Nutritional Standards for school lunches were re-introduced. In order to understand the potential changes in the contribution of school lunches to daily intake and following the re-introduction of these standards, a survey of school meals, in a representative sample of English primary schools, was commissioned.
The study had three aims; to assess whether the food provided by school caterers met the 2001 National Nutritional Standards; to assess whether food provided met the guidelines set out by the Caroline Walker Trust in 1992 and to identify the food consumption and nutritional intakes of primary school children from school meals and to compare these with the Caroline Walker Trust guidelines. The food choices of 7058 children from a representative sample of 151 English primary schools were collated and data was collected at the school and pupil level. Interviewers from market research company, Taylor Nelson Sofres, were used and managed by Dr Michael Nelson, senior lecturer at King's College London. This project resulted in the publication of School Meals in Primary Schools in England, 2006.
The Department of Nutrition and Dietetics at King's College London developed the Secondary School Meals Research Project, 2003-2004. It was funded by the Department for Education and Skills and the Food Standards Agency, as a result of growing concern about childrens' diets and the quality of school meals.
In 1941 the first nutritional standards for school meals were established and later updated several times, for the last time in 1975. However, in 1980 the Education Act removed such nutritional standards and obligations from Local Education Authorities. In 2001 statutory National Nutritional Standards for school lunches were re-introduced. In order to understand the potential changes in the contribution of school lunches to daily intake and following the re-introduction of these standards, a survey of school meals, in a representative sample of English secondary schools, was commissioned.
The study had three main aims; to assess whether the food provided by the school caterer met the statutory 2001 National Nutritional Standards; to assess whether the food provided met the Caroline Walker Trust Experts Working Group's National Guidelines for School Meals; to identify the consumption and nutrient intakes of school children from school meals, then to compare these intakes to the guidelines set out in the Expert Working Group's Report. Food choices of 5,695 pupils from 79 English secondary schools were recorded.
Researchers were based at King's College London and the project was directed by Dr Michael Nelson of King's. This project's findings were reported in School Meals in Secondary Schools in England, 2004.
The Principal is the chief academic and administrative officer of the College, responsible to the College Council. There have been eighteen Principals since the appointment of William Otter in 1831.
The Department was established in 1980, following the reunification of the theological and secular parts of King's College and the consequent reorganisation of the teaching of theology at King's. It was absorbed back into the Department of Theology and Religious Studies when Theology became part of the School of Humanities in 1989.
The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It was renamed the Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922. The Polytechnic taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the renamed Chelsea College of Science and Technology was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. Government of the College was devolved to the so-called Governing Body, supplemented from its inception in 1961 by an Academic Board reflecting the interests of staff and students. These were renamed the Council and Senate when the College was granted its Royal Charter in 1971. The College Secretary was senior administrative officer until the merger of Chelsea with King's College and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985.
Library provision at the South-Western Polytechnic was restricted to the availability of reading room space. Students were expected to use the adjacent Chelsea Public Library in order to consult books and periodicals. The inconvenience of this arrangement led to the creation of a Library Committee in 1921. The consequent library remained comparatively small until the post-World War Two expansion in provision that witnessed an increase in the number of titles from around 8000 in 1960 to 80,000 in 1970. These were divided between the Main Library, branch libraries situated on the principal College sites, and departmental collections of reference volumes. All of these were combined with the King's Library when the Colleges merged in 1985.
Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985. The Registry dealt with student and academic affairs including applications, examinations and assessments, and its functions were combined with those of the Registry at King's following the merger.
Classes in the Greek and Latin Classics were provided from 1831 as part of the core curriculum of the Senior Department. Classics soon after became part of the new Department of General Literature and Science, the Faculty of Arts in 1893, and the School of Humanities in 1989. Its staff also contribute to the teaching and work of the Centre for Hellenic Studies, established in 1989.
Courses in English Literature and Modern History were provided in the Senior Department from 1831 and in the Department of General Literature and Science shortly afterwards. English and History were separated in 1855. The installation of Samuel Rawson Gardiner as first Professor in 1876 marked the beginning of a focus in the department on the political and constitutional history of Tudor and Stuart England. The department underwent considerable enlargement in staff and in the breadth of its teaching from around 1912 under Professor Fossey John Cobb Hearnshaw, especially with the establishment of the Rhodes Chair of Imperial History in 1919. The department became part of the Faculty of Arts in 1893 and the School of Humanities in 1989.
Courses in German language and literature were provided by the Department of General Literature and Science from 1831, and were later also made available to students in the Evening Classes Department. A discrete Department was formed in the late 19th century with the creation of the Faculty of Arts in 1893, and was incorporated into the School of Humanities in 1989.
Instruction in mental philosophy was provided with the appointment of a lecturer at King's in 1868. A chair in Logic and Moral Philosophy was created in 1877 occupied by the Rev Henry William Watkins, with classes available in both the Department of General Literature and Science, and the Theology Department. This changed its title to Logic and Mental Philosophy around 1891, then to Mental and Moral philosophy in 1903, classes that endured until 1906 when a department of Philosophy and Psychology came into being. The two subjects were separated in 1912 and Philosophy remained part of the Faculty of Arts until the reorganisation of 1989 when it became part of the School of Humanities.
A Department of History and Philosophy of Science was established at University College London when the study of the history of science became popular during the 1950s. The first students were admitted to Chelsea College in 1964 and a Department was created in 1966. It was transferred to King's College London when Chelsea and King's merged in 1985 and in 1993 became part of the Department of Philosophy in the School of Humanities.
A Department of History and Philosophy of Science was established at University College London when the study of the history of science became popular during the 1950s. The first students were admitted to Chelsea College of Science and Technology in 1964 and a Department was created in 1966. It was transferred to King's College London when Chelsea and King's merged in 1985 and in 1993 became part of the Department of Philosophy in the School of Humanities.
A Department of Military Science existed from 1848-1859. Military Science was subsequently approved as a subject for the BA and BSc general degrees from 1913, and was taught under the Faculty of Arts and also the Faculty of Engineering. The Military Studies Department was established in 1926 and formed part of the Faculty of Arts. It became known as the War Studies Department in 1943 but was discontinued in 1948, although the subject continued to be taught under the Department of Medieval and Modern History. The Department was then reinstated in 1962 to offer postgraduate courses. A BA degree in War Studies was offered from 1992 onwards. The department became part of the School of Humanities in 1989 and the School of Social Science and Public Policy in 2001.
The Department for the Training of Teachers was established under John William Adamson in 1890. In 1896 it was split into two sections: the Day Training College for those intending to teach in elementary schools, and the Department for Secondary Training. These were amalgamated in 1922 to form the Education Department, part of the Faculty of Arts. This became the Faculty of Education in 1968, which merged with the Chelsea College Centre for Science and Mathematics Education in 1985 to create the current School of Education.
The Institute of Gerontology was established in 1986 as a collaboration between the charity, Age Concern, and King's College London, to engage in multidisciplinary study of ageing and old age. It undertakes research and runs MSc and Diploma programmes in Gerontology. The Institute is now a department within the division of Health Sciences, and part of the School of Life and Health Sciences.
Mathematics has been taught at King's since it first opened in 1831. It initially was part of the Senior Department and the Department of General Literature and Science and then became part of the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Science from 1893, the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences from 1986, the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences from 1991, and the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering from 1992.
Classes in Physics and Electrical Engineering were made available at the South-Western Polytechnic from 1895. The two disciplines were separated in 1906 and in 1918 the Departments of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering were transferred to Battersea Polytechnic. An Engineering Science course in Electronics was reintroduced in 1967 at the successor to the South-Western/Chelsea Polytechnic, Chelsea College of Science and Technology. This Department of Electronics then merged with King's College London Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering in 1985. It is now known as the Department of Electronic Engineering, and is part of the Division of Engineering within the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering at King's College London.
King's College London Association of University Teachers, which originated in 1917 and had over 850 members in 2001, is the trade union recognised by King's College London to represent academic and related staff. It is part of the national Association of University Teachers, a trade union and professional association which negotiates salaries and conditions of employment for members, represents their views on professional matters in higher education, and provides advice and other services.
Courses in English Literature and History were provided in the Senior Department at King's College from 1831 and shortly afterwards became part of the Department of General Literature and Science. English and History were separated in 1855, when classes in English Language and Literature became available. A Department of English was formed in 1922/23, remaining part of the Faculty of Arts until the School of Humanities was created in 1989.
The Centre for Medical Law and Ethics, part of the School of Law, was opened in 1978 to undertake research, organise teaching and publish papers concerning issues in medicine involving law and ethics. It draws on the expertise of staff in numerous schools and departments including medicine and theology and offers undergraduate course units and an MA and Diploma programme. The Living Wills Working Party was set up between the Centre and the charity, Age Concern, in 1985, as an early exercise in methodological appraisal of the subject and comprised a forerunner to the Living Wills Project run by the Centre and the AIDS charity, the Terrence Higgins Trust, to measure and evaluate the demand for advanced legal directives and powers of attorney pertaining to medical treatment of terminally or chronically-ill patients.
The Centre, part of the School of Law, was opened in 1978 to undertake research, organise teaching and publish papers concerning issues in medicine involving law and ethics. It draws on the expertise of staff in numerous schools and departments including medicine and theology and offers undergraduate course units and an MA and Diploma programme. The ECBIOMED-1 Project into Persistent Vegetative State was funded by the European Commission under the auspices of their European Biomedical Health Record Programme. Work commenced in 1994 and was co-ordinated by the Centre under the Directorship of Professor Andrew Grubb. It constituted a comparative survey undertaken in eight European countries of the opinions of doctors and health care professionals with experience of patients suffering from trauma of the brain.
King's College recognised the importance of external fund-raising during the 1970s, and the Development Trust was set up to co-ordinate efforts. This later became the Development Office in 1993 and recently the Development and Alumni Office. It helps organise funding bids and fund-raising among alumni and has a close working relationship with the King's College London Association (KCLA), which is an independent alumni body comprising volunteers, and which focuses on reunions and maintaining links between past and present students and staff.