Mostrar 15888 resultados

Registo de autoridade
Mason , Elsie , fl 1917-1922 , nurse

Mason trained as a nurse at King's College Hospital 1917-1920, gaining General Nursing Council registration in 1922.

Mead , Anne Elizabeth Mary , fl 1954-1960 , nurse

Mead was educated at Holy Trinity College Bromley and Bromley County Technical School. She entered nurse training at King's College Hospital, London in 1954.

Katherine Monk was born on 2 Jan 1855. She commenced nursing at the Hospital for Incurables, Edinburgh, in 1874, and attended nursing lectures and classes at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. In 1878, she became a Probationer Nurse at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, obtaining the Certificate of Proficiency in 1879. She undertook private nursing at St Bartholomew's Hospital for a number of years, before taking up the post of Night Sister at King's College and Charing Cross Hospitals, both of which were under the direction of the Sisterhood of St John's, in 1883. Later that same year, Monk was appointed Ward Sister at Charing Cross Hospital. In 1884 she was appinted Sister Matron at King's College Hospital.
Monk resigned from King's College Hospital in July 1885 in consequence of the difficulties between the St John's Nurses and the Hospital authorities. With the withdrawal of the Sisterhood of St John's House for King's, Monk was again appointed as Sister Matron, commencing on 5 Aug 1885. She quickly introduced new nursing staff to the hospital, reorganised the Nursing Department and founded the Training School for Nurses.
Monk was a founding member of the Committee of the Royal Pension Fund for Nurses, inaugurated in 1887, and was also one of two Civil Matron's appointed on Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Advisory Board for the improvement and reorganization of Military Hosptials. She was Also appointed to the Council of the Red Cross Society.
She took an active role in the work of the KCH Building Committee of the new Hospital, 1904. However, following a severe illness in 1905, she resigned as Sister Matron and left King's in May 1906. She died on 20 Feb 1916, at Southampton.
The Monk Memorial Prize Fund was raised as a memorial. It is awarded to the nurse who obtains first place in the examinations of nursing staff.

Miss Clara Sibbald Peddie, daughter of Dr Alexander Peddie of Edinburgh, was appointed as Home Sister, Apr 1888, having trained at the Nightingale School of St Thomas's Hospital. Sister Sibbald was superintendent of the Nurses' Home. She died suddenly following and operation in 1895.

Rampton , Barbara Cecilia , fl 1939-1942 , nurse

Rampton entered King's College Hospital. London, for nurse training, Aug 1939, having some previous experience as a probationer nurse at Paddington Green Convalescent Home.

Rogers , Mrs , fl 1884

Mrs Rogers, was the widow of an employee at King's College Hospital, and mother of Frank Rogers, also an employee of King's College Hospital.

Stagg , Margaret Annie , fl 1924-1939 , nurse

Stagg trained as a nurse at King's College Hospital 1924-1927, gaining General Nursing Council registration in 1928. She was also Nurse Tutor at King's College Hospital.

Veneer , Eva , fl 1940 , pupil nurse

Eva Veneer worked as a Secretary to an Insurance Broker for eleven years prior to undertaking nursing training at King's College Hospital, London, which she entered in 1940.

M K Blyde was born at Hitchin, Hertfordshire, 30 March 1891. She served with distinction in the Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) during World War One, and was mentioned in dispatches and awarded the Royal Red Cross (Second Class) (ARRC).
She trained as a nurse at King's College Hospital between 1919-1922 (gaining General Nursing Council registration in 1923), and on completion was appointed Sister of Fisk and Cheere Ward and Aural Theatre. She was known as Sister Mercia. Blyde worked as Assistant Matron at Norwich Hospital; Matron of West Suffolk Hospital, Bury St Edmunds. In 1937 she was appointed Sister Matron at King's College Hospital 1937, a post which she held until 1947.
She also served on the Nursing Advisory Board and Selection Committee of the Princess Mary's Royal Air Force Nursing Service; Executive Committee of the Association of Hospital Matrons and of the Joint Committee of Headmistresses and Hospital Matrons; and President of the King's College Hospital Nurses' League.
Blyde was a member of the Voluntary Nursing Advisory Board to His Majesty's Prison Commissioners; Chairman of the Ladies Committee of the 1930 Fund; the Selection Board of the Overseas' Nursing Association' Council and House Committee of the Cowdray Club; and the Nursing Advisory Committee to the British Red Cross Society. As well, she was a member of the Executive Committee of the National Council of Nurses of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, of the Committee of Management of the St Mary's Convalescent Home for Diabetics, Birchington-on-Sea; and Mrs Coward's Trained Nurses Co-operative Institute Committee.
She died in 1980.

Brown , Isobel Christine Stewart , 1924-1990 , nurse

Brown was born on 17 Feb 1924. She was educated at private schools, 1929-1937, and Wimbledon High School, 1937-1941. She trained as a Registered Sick Children's Nurse at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children, London, 1942-1945; undertook general nurse training at King's College Hospital (KCH), London, 1947-1949; and was registered as a Nurse Tutor by the Royal College of Nursing, 1957.
Brown worked at Great Ormond Street Hospital as a staff nurse; in private wards, 1945-1947; as Ward Sister, 1950-1955; and Nurse Tutor, 1957-1961. During 1961-1962, she was employed as an Officer in the Hospitals Department of the Royal College of Nursing, London, and from 1962-1969 was Secretary of this department. Appointed Sister Matron (later Chief Nursing Officer) of KCH in 1970, retiring in 1982. Died 1990.

Buffard , Grace Lizzie , died 1984 , nurse

Buffard trained at The Queen's Hospital for Children, Hackney, 1908-1911, and King's College Hospital, 1911-1914, and obtained General Nursing Council registration in 1922. She joined the Territorial Army Nursing Service, serving in Malta, and France and Germany during World War One. After the war, she returned to work at King's College Hospital. She died on 14 Nov 1984.

Clappen trained in nursing at King's College Hospital. She worked in France, and later at the Lady Harding Hospital in Delhi, India. Following the death of her first husband 1941, she remained in India and returned to nursing work. She remarried in 1958.
Clappen was a founding member of King's College Hospital Nurses' League.

New Cross Hospital , Deptford

Deptford Hospital, Avonley Road, Deptford, was opened on 17 March 1877, by the Metropolitan Asylums Board for admission of pauper patients with smallpox. By 1881, the epidemic was over, but it remained a fever hospital up until 1941. It became the South Eastern Fever Hospital in 1885 and then New Cross General Hospital in 1949. Since c.1964 it has been known as New Cross Hospital. It closed c.1991.

St John's Hospital , Lewisham

The Sisterhood of St John the Divine - an Anglican Sisterhood developed in close association with King's College Hospital, London. It was modelled on the Lutheran Order of Deaconesses of Kaiserwerth, Prussia.
In 1883, the Sisterhood obtained a lease of some small houses in Cressingham Rd, Lewisham - the first St John's Hospital, Lewisham. A year later, this building was turned into a district home, and a new hospital was opened at Montague Place, Poplar (finally closed in 1889). Shortly afterwards, this was replaced by the former All Saints' Boys' Orphanage on Morden Hill, Blackheath. Originally named St Stephen's Hospital for Women and Children, this was opened in 1886 as St John's Hospital for Men and Women, and was the location of the Sisters' new training school for nurses.
In 1897 an anonymous donation led to the building of a new ward block, opened in 1900, and the old house became the nurses home. St John's Hospital received a number of grants from 1907 onwards from the King Edward's and Hospital Sunday Funds. In 1911, the Borough of Lewisham contributed £600 for the establishment of a small X-ray Department and a Bacteriological Laboratory. In 1913, the hospital had 46 beds. It was incorporated in 1921 under the Companies Act, and the Sisterhood retained the right to nominate two-sixths of the Governors, and the freehold was also purchased around the same time. In 1923, the hospital expanded to 102 beds. Due to a lack of recruits from the Sisterhood, it formed its own nurse training school. On 21 Dec 1923, the Community of St John the Divine resigned all their rights and duties in the hospital, however the traditional uniform and badge continued to be worn until the introduction of the NHS in 1948. Student nurses appear to have served in the wards of Hither Green Hospital as well as St John's during their training. St John's Hospital closed in 1979.

Thomas Guy and Lewisham School of Nursing , 1985-1991

Thomas Guy and Lewisham School of Nursing was formed in 1985, by the merger of Guy's Hospital School of Nursing with Lewisham School of Nursing. In 1991, this school merged with the Nightingale School of Nursing (St Thomas's Hospital) to form the Nightingale and Guy's College of Nursing and Midwifery.

St Thomas's Hospital Medical School

St Thomas's Hospital has its origins in a small infirmary attached to the Augustinian Priory of St Mary the Virgin (St Mary Overie), which was destroyed by fire in 1212. The infirmary assumed the name of St Thomas the Martyr shortly after his canonization in 1173. After its destruction by fire the hospital was re-endowed by Peter de Rupibus, Bishop of Winchester, as a separate foundation independent of the Priory and administered by its own Master. It was built at the south end of London Bridge on a site occupied by the hospital from 1215 to 1862. In the early fifteenth century a new ward of eight beds was paid for by the Lord Mayor, Richard ('Dick') Whittington.

During the Reformation in 1540 the hospital, along with many other religious foundations, was dispossessed of its revenues and closed. The abolition of the religious houses deprived the poor of their chief source of relief, and the citizens of London presented a petition to Henry VIII. The King died before his intention to restore the hospital was carried out, and it was his son Edward VI who restored St Thomas's estates and revenues. The hospital re-opened with 120 beds and three Barber Surgeons, assisted by apprentices, were appointed, possibly marking the beginning of St Thomas's Hospital Medical School. A royal charter of 1553 made the Mayor and Commonalty and Citizens of London perpetual Governors of King's Hospital, as it was known for a time before becoming St Thomas's Hospital.

The hospital underwent an extensive building programme between 1693 and 1709, and about 300 beds were provided. Medical education was also formalised at this time, with regulations introduced to control the entry of pupils into the hospital. Students were educated on the wards long before this time. A record of one of the apprentices of a surgeon at St Thomas's appears in 1561. By the second half of the seventeenth century surgeons at the hospital were accepting the apprentices of other surgeons for short periods of tuition within the hospital. These students were the forerunners of dressers, and problems with their discipline and uncertainty over their status led to the formulation of some basic regulations to control the entry of students into the hospital. Surgeons were restricted to taking three dressers each, but this was frequently broken, and the number increased to four. The physicians at the hospital had some pupils, though a fewer number than the surgeons. From about the early 18th century the Hospital Apothecary also apprenticed pupils. Guy's Hospital opened in the grounds of St Thomas's in 1725, and lectures, wards and operations were attended by the students of both hospitals. In 1768 the arrangement was formalised and continued until Guy's established its own medical school in 1825.

Until the mid nineteenth century there were three types of student attending the medical school, the surgeons' apprentices and dressers, dressers who had served an apprenticeship elsewhere and completing their training with a particular surgeon, and pupils, who were not attached to any particular surgeon. Pupils first appeared in 1723, and tended to be on the periphery of surgical procedures. Their numbers were unrestricted and they paid smaller fees than dressers. All students were able to attend the courses of lectures provided by the teaching staff at the hospitals and dissection classes. The study of anatomy was the most prestigious course offered at St Thomas's. William Cheseldon, one of the most important and influential anatomists of the eighteenth century, was surgeon to St Thomas's Hospital from 1719 to 1738 and gave lectures from 1714. Other influential medical teachers included George Fordyce, who was Physician from 1770 to 1802, Henry Cline, Surgeon, from 1784 to 1812 and Sir Astley Paston Cooper, lecturer from 1797 to 1825. New accommodation for dissection classes was provided in 1814, and allowed up two hundred students at a time to practice dissection. Other courses offered to students after the unification of the medical schools included chemistry, materia medica, physiology and midwifery. A broadly based syllabus of medical lectures was delivered by William Saunders, Physician at Guy's Hospital, from about 1770. Students were also able to attend courses offered by the recognised private schools of medicine, notably the Windmill Street school, run by Samuel Sharp and later William and John Hunter, Joshua Brookes' Theatre of Anatomy in Blenheim Street and the Webb Street School of Anatomy and Medicine.

The popularity and influence of the medical schools led to the building of new facilities at St Thomas's Hospital. New accommodation was opened in 1814, and comprised a museum, laboratory, library, dissection room and large lecture theatre. A dispute over the appointment of the successor to the Surgeon Astley Cooper led to Guy's Hospital establishing its own medical school in 1825. St Thomas's lost several lecturers, and the popularity of Astley Cooper at Guy's and the establishment of new teaching hospitals in London such as King's College led to a period of decline for St Thomas's medical school. The school continued to offer lectures on a wide variety of subjects and provide regular clinical training, but falling student rolls and therefore income from fees hampered long term development and planning. After 1825 students of surgeons continued to attend operations at both hospitals, until a disagreement amongst the students in 1836 sparked off a riot in the operating theatre at St Thomas's and the arrangement ended. In 1842 the Hospital Governors stepped in to rationalise and improve the status of the medical school, and took over the management for the next sixteen years. A medical school fund was established and administered by the Hospital Treasurer to pay for the general running costs of the school, including the salaries of the non-teaching staff. A Medical School Committee was created to govern the school, appoint lecturers and oversee expenditure. The first Dean, Dr Henry Burton, was appointed in 1849. In 1858, management of the school was restored to the physicians and surgeons and in 1860 to the teaching staff, as the school had become self-financing.

In 1866 the extension of the railway from London Bridge to Charing Cross forced the Hospital to move to a temporary site at Newington. A site at Stangate in Lambeth, at the foot of Westminster Bridge, was bought from the Metropolitan Board of Works for ?95,000. Queen Victoria laid the foundation stone of the new building in 1868, which was also opened by her in 1871. The new building was designed by Henry Currey to take 588 beds. The plan was supported by Florence Nightingale, who had chosen St Thomas's as the hospital in which to found her training school for nurses. The new accommodation and new teaching staff, including Charles Murchison, Physician to the hospital from 1871 to 1879, heralded a good start for the new medical school. However, by 1892 most of the teaching staff had left and the new student intake was only forty-three. The enlargement of facilities at the school helped revive the school's reputation, and by 1900 student numbers were improving and increased rapidly.

St Thomas's Hospital and Medical School were seriously disrupted by the second world war. The hospital's status as a casualty clearance station, with sixteen wards closed and a limited out-patients' service meant that clinical teaching was impossible. Students were dispersed among other London hospitals and the pre-clinical school went to Wadham College, Cambridge. By March 1940 the anticipated aerial bombing had not taken place, and the medical school had reformed, the out-patients' service resumed and 250 civilian beds opened at Lambeth. However bombing raids in the Autumn severely damaged the hospital. Arrangements were made to move staff and patients to a hutted hospital at Hydestile, near Godalming, which had previously been occupied by Australian troops. By 1943 St Thomas's Hospital comprised 184 beds at the London site, 334 in Hydesville and 50 maternity beds in Woking. By the end of the war four ward buildings, three operating theatres, most accommodation for nurses and a large section of the out-patients department had been destroyed.

With the establishment of the National Health Service the medical school became a separate corporate body in 1948 and one of the general medical schools of the University of London. In 1949 the school accepted its first female medical student. The annual intake of students continued to increase throughout the 1960s and 1970s. Since the end of the second world war to the 1970s there has been almost continuous redevelopment of the site. In 1982 the medical schools of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals reunited as the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals (UMDS). The new institution was then enlarged by the amalgamation of the Royal Dental Hospital of London School of Dental Surgery with Guy's Dental School on 1 August 1983 and the addition on the Institute of Dermatology on 1 August 1985. In 1990 King's College London began discussions with the United Schools and, following formal agreement to merge in 1992 and the King's College London Act 1997, the formal merger with UMDS took place on 1 August 1998. The merger created three new schools: the Guy's, King's and St Thomas' Schools of Medicine, of Dentistry and of Biomedical Sciences, and reconfigured part of the former School of Life, Basic Medical & Health Sciences as the new School of Health & Life Sciences.

Unidentified

Cholera was endemic in London during the nineteenth century, and epidemics were a regular feature of life. An epidemic broke out in London in 1853, where a total of 10,675 people died of the disease. There was another outbreak of the disease in 1854, with the worst hit areas being Southwark, Lambeth and Soho.

St Thomas's Hospital

Cholera was endemic in London during the nineteenth century, and epidemics were a regular feature of life. The first outbreak of Asiatic cholera in Britain was at Sunderland on the Durham coast during the Autumn of 1831. From there the disease made its way northward into Scotland and southward toward London, claiming 52,000 lives.

St Thomas's Hospital Medical School

Essays were regularly submitted by students at St Thomas's Hospital Medical School in competition with each other. There were several prizes available, some funded by the lecturers themselves.

St Thomas's Hospital Medical School

St Thomas's Hospital has its origins in a small infirmary attached to the Augustan Priory of St Mary the Virgin (St Mary Overie), which was destroyed by fire in 1212. It was re-built at the south end of London Bridge on a site occupied by the hospital from 1215 to 1862. Medical education at St Thomas's Hospital was gradually formalised at the end of the seventeenth century, with regulations introduced to control the entry of pupils into the hospital. Students were educated on the wards long before this time. A record of one of the apprentices of a surgeon at St Thomas's appears in 1561. By the second half of the seventeenth century surgeons at the hospital were accepting the apprentices of other surgeons for short periods of tuition within the hospital. These students were the forerunners of dressers, and problems with their discipline and uncertainty over their status led to the formulation of some basic regulations to control the entry of students into the hospital. Surgeons were restricted to taking three dressers each, but this was frequently broken, and the number increased to four. The physicians at the hospital had some pupils, though a fewer number than the surgeons. From about the early 18th century the Hospital Apothecary also apprenticed pupils. Guy's Hospital opened in the grounds of St Thomas's in 1725, and lectures, wards and operations were attended by the students of both hospitals. In 1768 the arrangement was formalised and continued until Guy's established its own medical school in 1825.

Until the mid nineteenth century there were three types of student attending the medical school, the surgeons' apprentices and dressers, dressers who had served an apprenticeship elsewhere and completing their training with a particular surgeon, and pupils, who were not attached to any particular surgeon. Pupils first appeared in 1723, and tended to be on the periphery of surgical procedures. Their numbers were unrestricted and they paid smaller fees than dressers. All students were able to attend the courses of lectures provided by the teaching staff at the hospitals and dissection classes. The study of anatomy was the most prestigious course offered at St Thomas's. William Cheseldon, one of the most important and influential anatomists of the eighteenth century, was surgeon to St Thomas's Hospital from 1719 to 1738 and gave lectures from 1714. Other influential medical teachers included George Fordyce, who was Physician from 1770 to 1802, Henry Cline, Surgeon, from 1784 to 1812 and Sir Astley Paston Cooper, lecturer from 1797 to 1825. New accommodation for dissection classes was provided in 1814, and allowed up two hundred students at a time to practice dissection. Other courses offered to students after the unification of the medical schools included chemistry, materia medica, physiology and midwifery. A broadly based syllabus of medical lectures was delivered by William Saunders, Physician at Guy's Hospital, from about 1770. Students were also able to attend courses offered by the recognised private schools of medicine, notably the Windmill Street school, run by Samuel Sharp and later William and John Hunter, Joshua Brookes' Theatre of Anatomy in Blenheim Street and the Webb Street School of Anatomy and Medicine.

The popularity and influence of the medical schools led to the building of new facilities at St Thomas's Hospital. New accommodation was opened in 1814, and comprised a museum, laboratory, library, dissection room and large lecture theatre. A dispute over the appointment of the successor to the Surgeon Astley Cooper led to Guy's Hospital establishing its own medical school in 1825. St Thomas's lost several lecturers, and the popularity of Astley Cooper at Guy's and the establishment of new teaching hospitals in London such as University College led to a period of decline for St Thomas's medical school. The school continued to offer lectures on a wide variety of subjects and provide regular clinical training, but falling student rolls and therefore income from fees hampered long term development and planning. After 1825 students of surgeons continued to attend operations at both hospitals, until a disagreement amongst the students in 1836 sparked off a riot in the operating theatre at St Thomas's and the arrangement ended.

In 1866 the extension of the railway from London Bridge to Charing Cross forced the Hospital to move to a temporary site at Newington. A site at Stangate in Lambeth, at the foot of Westminster Bridge, was bought from the Metropolitan Board of Works for £95,000. Queen Victoria laid the foundation stone of the new building in 1868, which was also opened by her in 1871. The new accommodation and new teaching staff, including Charles Murchison, Physician to the hospital from 1871 to 1879, heralded a good start for the new medical school. However, by 1892 most of the teaching staff had left and the new student intake was only forty-three. The enlargement of facilities at the school helped revive the school's reputation, and by 1900 student numbers were improving and increased rapidly.

With the establishment of the National Health Service the medical school became a separate corporate body in 1948 and one of the general medical schools of the University of London. In 1949 the school accepted its first female medical student. The annual intake of students continued to increase throughout the 1960s and 1970s. In 1982 the medical schools of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals reunited as the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals (UMDS). The new institution was then enlarged by the amalgamation of the Royal Dental Hospital of London School of Dental Surgery with Guy's Dental School on 1 August 1983 and the addition on the Institute of Dermatology on 1 August 1985. In 1990 King's College London began discussions with the United Schools and, following formal agreement to merge in 1992 and the King's College London Act 1997, the formal merger with UMDS took place on 1 August 1998. The merger created three new schools: the Guy's, King's and St Thomas' Schools of Medicine, of Dentistry and of Biomedical Sciences, and reconfigured part of the former School of Life, Basic Medical & Health Sciences as the new School of Health & Life Sciences.

St Thomas's Hospital Medical School

In 1842 the Governors of St Thomas's Hospital stepped in to rationalise and improve the medical school's status, taking responsibility for the management of the school until 1858. The School's finances and administration was radically re-organised. A medical school fund was established and administered by the Hospital Treasurer to pay for the general running costs of the school, including the salaries of the non-teaching staff. A Medical School Committee was created to govern the school, appoint lecturers and oversee expenditure. The first Dean, Dr Henry Burton, was appointed in 1849, and the School began to take on a formal corporate identity. In 1858, management of the school was restored to the physicians and surgeons and in 1860 to the teaching staff, as the school had become self-financing. With the establishment of the National Health Service the medical school became a separate corporate body in 1948 and one of the general medical schools of the University of London.

Medical and Physical Society , St Thomas's Hospital

The Medical Society of St Thomas's Hospital, later renamed the Medical and Physical Society, met to hear and discuss a dissertation and exchange medical news and cases. The society was open to physicians, surgeons and students.

Cline , Henry , 1750-1827 , surgeon

Henry Cline: born, London, 1750; educated, Merchant Taylors' School; apprenticed to Mr Thomas Smith, surgeon to St Thomas's Hospital, 1767; diploma from Surgeons' Hall, 1774; Lecturer on anatomy, St Thomas's Hospital, 1781-1811; Surgeon, St Thomas's Hospital, 1784-1811; examiner at the College of Surgeons, 1810; master of the College of Surgeons, 1815, president, 1823; delivered the Hunterian oration, 1816, 1824; died, 1827.
Publications: On the Form of Animals (Bulmer & Co, London, 1805).

St Thomas's Hospital Medical School

The papers comprise a miscellany of correspondence collected by and donated to St Thomas's Hospital Medical School Library. Letters relating to St Thomas's Hospital Choir, deposited at St Thomas' Hospital Library, by Dr H J Wallace, 1977.

William Miller Ord was born on 23 September 1834; the son of George Ord, FRCS, and his wife Harriet (nee Clark). He was educated at St Thomas's Hospital London. Awarded MD London; FRCP, FLS. Ord was Consulting Physician St Thomas's Hospital; Treasurer of the Clinical Society; Fellow of the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society. He married firstly in 1859, Julia Rainbow (died 1864), and secondly Jane Youl. He died on 14 May 1902.
Publications: Influence of Colloids upon Crystalline Forms, 1879; edited the Works of Francis Sibson, 1881; various papers on "Myxodema" (including the Bradshawe Lecture, 1898); Neurotic Dystrophies; Notes on Comparative Anatomy, 1871; papers on Neurotic Origin of Gout; The Relations of Arthritis; Lettsomian Oration; A Doctor's Holiday (oration to Medical Society, 1894); an edition of Nomenclature of Diseases, 1884; and many others.

William Wallis Ord was born in 1869, the son of William Miller Ord and his wife Julie nee Rainbow. He was a student at St Thomas's Hospital Medical School, 1883-1887. Awarded MA, MD BCh Oxon, MRCP London, OBE.

Henry Wentworth Dyke Acland was born 23 August 1815; 4th son of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, 10th Bt of Killerton, Exeter; Educated at Harrow School; Christ Church, Oxford (Hon. Student). Fellow of All Souls, 1840. He was Regius Professor of Medicine, Oxford, 1857-1894; Member of Medical Council, 1854-1874, and President, 1874-1887; Member of Sanitary Commission, 1870-1872, and also served as Radcliffe Librarian, Oxford, from 1851; Hon. Physician to Prince of Wales.
Awarded 1st Bt, 1890; KCB 1884 (CB 1883); MD, DCL, LLD; FRS 1847. In 1846 he married, Sarah Cotton (died 1878). Died 16 October 1900.
Publications Memoir on the Cholera at Oxford in the year 1854, with considerations suggested by the epidemic, John Churchill and J. H. & J. Parker: London, 1856.

Brett , Percy Croad , fl 1917 , medical student

Percy Croad Brett of West Hampstead was a medical student, probably at St Mary's Hospital Paddington.

John Ernest Frazer was born, London, 1870; educated at Dulwich College; trained at St Bartholomew's Hospital; worked in London and provincial hospitals; health injured by post-mortem wound; took up anatomy as speciality, 1900; Demonstrator, St George's Hospital; transferred to King's College Hospital, 1905; Lecturer, St Mary's Hospital, 1911; acted as Out Patient Surgeon during World War One; Professor of Anatomy, University of London, 1914-1941; Hunterian Professor, Royal College of Surgeons, 1915-1916; Harveian Lecturer, 1924; Member of Council and President, Anatomical Society; Examiner, Universities of London, Durham, Oxford, and Cambridge; Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons; Professor Emeritus, University of London, 1942; died, 1946.
Publications: The Anatomy of the Human Skeleton (J & A Churchill, London, 1914); Buchanan's Dissection Guide with Edward Barclay-Smith and R H Robbins (Bailliere & Co, London, 1930); A Manual of Embryology (Bailliere & Co, London, 1931); Manual of Practical Anatomy with Reginald Henry Robbins 2 volumes (Bailliere & Co, London, 1937); Buchanan's manual of anatomy including embryology sixth edition edited by J E Frazer (Bailliere, Tindall and Cox, London, 1937); numerous papers, mainly Embryological in Journal of Anatomy and other Journals.

Bristowe , John Syer , 1827-1895 , Physician

Born at Camberwell on 19 Jan 1827, the son of John Syer Bristowe, a medical practitioner in Camberwell, and Mary Chesshyre his wife. He was educated at Enfield and King's College schools, and entered at St. Thomas's Hospital as a medical student in 1846. A distinguished student, he took the Treasurer's gold medal, in 1848, and in the same year he obtained the gold medal of the Apothecaries' Society for botany. In 1849 he was admitted a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, and on 2 Aug. 1849 he received the licence of the Society of Apothecaries. In 1850 he took the degree of M.B. of the University of London, gaining the scholarship and medal in surgery and the medals in anatomy and materia medica; in 1852 he was admitted M.D. of the London University.
In 1849 he was house surgeon at St. Thomas's Hospital, and in the following year he was appointed curator of the museum and pathologist to the hospital. He was elected assistant physician in 1854, and during the next few years he held several teaching posts, being appointed lecturer on botany in 1859, on materia medica in 1860, on general anatomy and physiology in 1865, on pathology in 1870. In 1860 he was elected full physician, and in 1876 he became lecturer on medicine, a post which he held until his retirement in 1892, when he became consulting physician to the hospital.
He served many important offices at the Royal College of Physicians. Elected a fellow in 1858, he was an examiner in medicine in 1869 and 1870. In 1872 he was Croonian lecturer, choosing for his subject 'Disease and its Medical Treatment;' in 1879 he was Lumleian lecturer on 'The Pathological Relations of Voice and Speech.' He was censor in 1876, 1886, 1887, 1888, and senior censor in 1889. He was examiner in medicine at the universities of Oxford and London, at the Royal College of Surgeons, and at the war office. He was also medical officer of health for Camberwell (1856-95), physician to the Commercial Union Assurance Company, and to Westminster School.
In 1881 he was elected Fellow of the Royal Society, and the honorary degree of LL.D. was conferred upon him at the tercentenary of the Edinburgh University in 1884. He was president of the Pathological Society of London in 1885, of the Neurological Society in 1891, and of the Medical Society of London in 1893. In this year he delivered the Lettsomian lectures on 'Syphilitic Affections of the Nervous System.' He was also president of the Society of Medical Officers of Health, of the Hospitals Association, and of the metropolitan counties' branch of the British Medical Association. In 1887 his term of office as physician to St. Thomas's Hospital having expired, he was appointed for a further term of five years at the unanimous request of his colleagues.
Bristowe married, on 9 Oct. 1856, Miriam Isabelle Stearns of Dulwich. He died on 20 Aug. 1895 at Monmouth. A three-quarter-length portrait by his daughter, Miss Beatrice M. Bristowe, hangs in the committee-room at St. Thomas's Hospital.
He presented to the Public Health Department of the Privy Council a series of important reports 'On Phosphorus Poisoning in Match Manufacture' (1862), 'On Infection by Rags and Paper Works' (1865), 'On the Cattle Plague' (1866) in conjunction with Professor (Sir) J. Burdon Sanderson, and 'On the Hospitals of the United Kingdom' jointly with Mr. Timothy Holmes. He had considerable skill as a draughtsman, and many of the microscopical drawings to be found in his books were the work of his own hand. In particular his figures of trichina spiralis, a parasitic worm in the muscles of man, have been copied into many textbooks.
Publications: Poems, London, 1850; A Treatise on the Theory and Practice of Medicine, London, 1876; Clinical Lectures and Essays on Diseases of the Nervous System, 1888; Annual Reports of the Medical Officer of Health to the Vestry of St. Giles, Camberwell, Surrey, L

Sir Charles Scott Sherrington (1857-1952) was Professor-Superintenden of the Brown Institution, which specialised in research into diseases of domestic animals. The Institute was situated in Wandsworth Road, South West London and was destroyed by bombing in 1944. Sherrington was later Professor of Pathology, University of London, and Lecturer on Physiology at St Thomas's Hospital.

Chiesman , Sir , Walter Eric , 1900-1973 , Physician

Walter Chiesman was born in July 1900. He was educated at Whitgift School, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and St Thomas's Hospital, London, graduating MA, MB BCh. He obtained MD from Cambridge, 1934, and was elected FRCP 1947. Chiesman was appointed Resident Assistant Physician, 1928; and 1st Assistant, Medical Unit, 1929-1933, St Thomas's Hospital; Medical Adviser to Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI), 1933-1945; Honorary Physician to the King 1950, and Honorary Physician to the Queen 1951. He also held the position of Medical Officer, Ministry of Supply (Chemical Defence), 1944, and Treasury Medical Adviser, 1945-1965.
He was awarded CB 1955, and knighted in 1960. In 1930 he married Feodora Rennie. He died on 13 August 1973.

Clark , Frederick , Le Gros , 1811-1892 , surgeon

Frederick Le Gros Clark became Assistant Surgeon, 1843, and then Surgeon, 1853-1873 to St Thomas's Hospital.
Publications include: Practical Anatomy and Elementary Physiology of the Nervous System (Longman & Co, London, 1836); Outlines of Surgery: being an epitome of the lectures on the principles and practice of surgery delivered at St. Thomas's Hospital (J Churchill & Sons, London, 1863); Statistical Report of patients treated in St. Thomas's Hospital, from the year 1857 to 1860 (1861-1865) [Edited by W H Stone] 2 volumes (St Thomas's Hospital Reports, London, [1861-]69); Lectures on the Principles of Surgical Diagnosis: especially in relation to shock and visceral lesions (J Churchill & Sons, London, 1870); Inaugural Address delivered at the opening of the Medical School of St. Thomas's Hospital, October 2nd 1871 (J & A Churchill, London, 1871); Outlines of Surgery and Surgical Pathology Second edition, revised and expanded (J & A Churchill, London, 1872); Physiology (SPCK, London, 1873); The Hunterian Oration, 1875 (J E Adlard, London, 1875); Papers on Surgery, Pathology and allied subjects (Adlard & Son, London, 1889).

Cline , Henry , 1750-1827 , surgeon

Born, London, 1750; educated, Merchant Taylors' School; apprenticed to Mr. Thomas Smith, surgeon to St Thomas's Hospital, 1767; frequently lectured for Joseph Else, then lecturer on anatomy; diploma from Surgeons' Hall, 1774; attended a course of John Hunter's lectures, and was much influenced by them, 1774; lecturer on anatomy, St Thomas's Hospital, 1781-1811; Surgeon, St Thomas's Hospital, 1784-1811; examiner at the College of Surgeons, 1810; Master of the College of Surgeons, 1815; delivered the Hunterian oration, 1816, 1824; President of the College of Surgeons, 1823; died, 1827.
Publications: On the Form of Animals (Bulmer & Co, London, 1805).

Cribb , William , fl [1778-1779] , medical student

William Cribb was a dresser to George Martin, Surgeon at St Thomas's Hospital, 1778.

Joseph Else was Surgeon to St Thomas's Hospital, London from 1768 to 1780. He was appointed Lecturer in Anatomy and Surgery in 1768 on the unification of the medical schools of St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals.
Publications: An essay on the cure of the hydrocele of the tunica vaginalis testis (London, 1770); The works of ... J. E., ... containing a treatise on the hydrocele, and other papers on different subjects in surgery. To which is added, an appendix, containing some cases of hydrocele ... by G Vaux (London, 1782); [An account of a successful method of treating sore legs.] Méthode avantageuse de traiter les ulcères des jambes in [Surgical tracts, containing a treatise upon ulcers of the legs.] Traité sur les ulcères des jambes, etc by Michael Underwood MD pp 217-228 (1744 [1784]).

Cullen , William , 1710-1790 , physician

Born, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, 1710; educated, Glasgow University, and became pupil of a physician; surgeon to a merchant ship, 1729; apothecary's assistant, London; practiced at Auchinlee, near Hamilton, 1731-1732; student, Edinburgh Medical School, 1734-1736; practiced as a surgeon in Hamilton, 1736-1744; chief magistrate of Hamilton, 1739-1740; graduated MD, Glasgow, 1740; practiced in Glasgow, 1744-; founded a medical school, lecturing on medicine and several other subjects; made some discoveries on the evolution of heat in chemical combinations and the cooling of solutions; Professor of Medicine, Glasgow University, 1751; joint Professor of Chemistry, Edinburgh University; began to give clinical lectures in the infirmary, 1757; delivered a course of lectures on materia medica, continuing his chemistry course, 1760-1761; Professor of the 'Institutes' or theory of physic, Edinburgh University, 1766-1773; lectured in alternate years on the theory and the practice of medicine with John Gregory; Professor of the Practice of Physic, Edinburgh University, 1773-1789; President, Edinburgh College of Physicians, 1773-1775; helped prepare the new edition of the 'Edinburgh Pharmacopeia', 1774; foreign associate of the Royal Society of Medicine at Paris, 1776; Fellow, Royal Society of London, 1777; died, 1790.

Publications include: Lectures on the Materia Medica, etc (T Lowndes, London, 1773); A Letter to Lord Cathcart ... concerning the recovery of persons drowned and seemingly dead (J Murray, London, 1776); Of the Cold produced by evaporating Fluids, and of some other means of producing cold (1777); Institutions of Medicine. Part I. Physiology. For the use of students in the University of Edinburgh Second edition (W Creech, Edinburgh, 1677 [1777]); First Lines of the Practice of Physic, for the use of students in the University of Edinburgh Second edition 4 volumes (William Creech, Edinburgh, 1778-1784); The Substance of Nine Lectures on Vegetation and Agriculture, delivered to a private audience in the year 1768 (1796); Clinical Lectures delivered in the years 1765 and 1766 (Lee & Hurst, London, 1797); Nosology: or, a Systematic arrangement of diseases, by classes, orders, genera, and species; with the distinguishing characters of each, and outlines of the systems of Sauvages, Linnæus, Vogel, Sagar, and Macbride. Translated from the Latin of W Cullen (William Creech, Edinburgh, 1800); The Works of William Cullen ... Containing his Physiology, Nosology and First Lines of the Practice of Physic: with numerous extracts from his manuscript papers, and from his Treatise of the Materia Medica Edited by John Thomson 2 volumes (William Blackwood, Edinburgh; T & G Underwood, London, 1827).

George William Davies entered St Thomas's Hospital as a pupil on 28 January 1808.

Astley Paston Cooper was born at Brooke Hall near Norwich, 1768; educated at home; apprenticed to his uncle, William Cooper, surgeon to Guy's Hospital, 1784; soon after transferred to Henry Cline, surgeon to St Thomas's Hospital; Edinburgh Medical School, 1787-1788; Demonstrator of anatomy, St Thomas's Hospital, 1789; joint lecturer with Cline in anatomy and surgery, 1791; lectured on anatomy at the College of Surgeons, 1793-1796; Surgeon, Guy's Hospital, 1800-1825; private practice rapidly increased; Fellow, Royal Society, 1802; made post-mortem examinations wherever possible, and was often in contact with 'resurrectionists'; a founder and first treasurer, 1805, President, 1819-1820, Medical and Chirurgical Society of London; Professor of Comparative Anatomy, Royal College of Surgeons, 1813; lectured, 1814-1815; performed a small operation on George IV, 1820; by the bestowal of a baronetcy; examiner at the College of Surgeons, 1822; published his 'Dislocations and Fractures of the Joints', 1822; resigned his lectureship at St. Thomas's, 1825; instigator of the founding of a separate medical school at Guy's Hospital; Consulting Surgeon to Guy's Hospital; President, College of Surgeons, 1827, 1836; Sergeant-Surgeon to King William IV, 1828; Vice-President, Royal Society, 1830; died, 1841.
Publications include: The Anatomy and Surgical Treatment of Inguinal and Congenital Hernia (Crural and Umbilical Hernia) (printed for T Cox; sold by Messrs Johnson, etc, London, 1804); A Treatise on Dislocations, and on Fractures of the Joints (Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown; E Cox & Son, London, 1822); The Lectures of Sir Astley Cooper, Bart., F.R.S. ... on the Principles and Practice of Surgery: with additional notes and cases, by Frederick Tyrrell 3 volumes (Thomas & George Underwood, London, 1824-1827); Illustrations of the Diseases of the Breast ... In two parts (Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown & Green: London, 1829; Lectures on the Principles and Practice of Surgery Second edition (F C Westley, London, 1830); Observations on the Structure and Diseases of the Testis (Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown & Green; Highley & Underwood, London, 1830); The Anatomy of the Thymus Gland (Longman, Rees, Orme, Green & Brown, London, 1832).

Denman , Thomas , 1733-1815 , physician

Born, Bakewll, Derbyshire, 1733; educated at Bakewell grammar school; studied medicine at St George's Hospital, London from 1853; surgeon's mate in the navy, surgeon, 1757; attached to the ship Edgar to 1763; continued his medical studies, attending the lectures on midwifery of Dr Smellie; graduated MD, Aberdeen, 1764; began practice as a physician, Winchester; surgeon to a royal yacht; lectured on midwifery, and continued to do so for fifteen years; physician accoucheur to the Middlesex Hospital, 1769-1783; licentiate in midwifery, College of Physicians, 1783; moved to Feltham, Middlesex, 1791 and reduced his practice; made the practice of inducing premature labour in cases of narrow pelvis and other conditions general in England; died, London, 1815.

Publications include: Essays on the Puerperal Fever, and on puerperal convulsions (J Walter, London, 1768); A Letter to Dr. Richard Huck, on the construction and method of using vapor baths [London, 1768]; Aphorisms, respecting the distinction and management of preternatural presentations [London, c 1780]; Directions for the application of the forceps [London, c 1780]; An Essay on Uterine Hemorrhages depending on Pregnancy and Parturition (J Johnson, London, 1785); An Essay on Difficult Labours (J. Johnson, London, 1787-1791); An Essay on Natural Labours (J Johnson, [London,] 1786); An Essay on Preternatural Labours (J Johnson, London, 1786); A Collection of Engravings, tending to illustrate the generation and parturition of animals, and of the human species (J Johnson, London, 1787); An Introduction to the Practice of Midwifery (J Johnson, London, 1794, 95); Observations on the Cure of Cancer (J Johnson, London, 1810).

Dudgeon , Leonard Stanley , 1876- 1938 , pathologist

Leonard Stanley Dudgeon was born in London, 7 Oct 1876, the son of John Hepburn Dudgeon of Haddington, East Lothian, and his wife Catherine Pond. He was educated at University College London, and St Thomas's Hospital, and qualified in 1899.
Close association with Louis Leopold Jenner and S G Shattock led him to become one of the earliest workers in pathology and bacteriology as specialized subjects. After acting for a short period as a pathologist at the West London Hospital, he returned in 1903 to St. Thomas's Hospital, where he spent the rest of his life, and became superintendent of the Louis Jenner Clinical Laboratory. His collaboration was constantly sought over obscure cases in the wards, and under his direction the clinical laboratory became one of the most important departments of the hospital. He was appointed Director of the Pathological Laboratory and Bacteriologist (1905), Professor of Pathology in the University of London (1919), Curator of the Shattock Museum (1927), and Dean of the Medical School (1928).
During World War One Dudgeon served in the Near East as a Temporary Col, Army Medical Services, and carried out valuable investigations of infectious diseases prevalent among the troops. For his war services he was thrice mentioned in dispatches and was appointed CMG in 1918 and CBE in 1919, and awarded the Order of St Sava of Serbia.
During his term of office as Dean the medical school was largely rebuilt and modernized. He was for many years honorary secretary of the Voluntary Hospitals Committee, chairman of the Deans' Committee, and a member of the senate of London University. He was an active member of the Sankey commission on voluntary hospitals which reported in 1937. In these positions he exerted considerable influence on the course of medical education and hospital policy, and in particular took a leading part in securing co-operation for teaching purposes between the voluntary and the London County Council hospitals.
During the latter years of his life he developed a technique by means of smears for the rapid diagnosis of tumours and for the detection of malignant cells in bodily secretions, which has found wide application. At the Royal College of Physicians, of which he was elected a fellow in 1908, he was Horace Dobell lecturer (1908) and Croonian lecturer (1912). He gave the Erasmus Wilson lecture at the Royal College of Surgeons in 1905 and 1908, and was president of the section of tropical diseases of the Royal Society of Medicine (1923-1925).
He married in 1909 Norah Orpen, of Kenmare, co. Kerry. He died in London 22 October 1938.
Publications: with Percy William George Sargent, Bacteriology of Peritonitis, Archibald Constable & Co.: London, 1905; Bacterial Vaccines and their Position in therapeutics, Constable & Co.: London 1927; edited - Studies of Bacillary Dysentery occurring in the British Forces in Macedonia, London, 1919; Articles on Malaria and Blackwater Fever; Bacillus Coli infection of Urinary Tract; on Intestinal Infection, 1924; and numerous other scientific contributions to medical literature.