Showing 15888 results

Authority record

West Hampstead Congregational church was situated at 527A Finchley Road. It originated in services held in the library of Hackney College in 1894. A building of red brick with terracotta and moulded brick dressings to match the adjacent college, on a central plan and seating 1,125, was designed by Spalding & Cross in 1894. The church also included a school hall and library. Attendance in 1903 was 162 in the morning and 210 in the evening. The church was closed in 1940 and sold to Shomrei Hadath syngagogue in 1946.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 153-158.

Tolmer's Square Congregational Church, Camden, was founded in 1834. It opened a mission church on Drummond Street in 1879. In 1903 the combined membership of the two churches was 206, with 321 Sunday School scholars. The church closed in 1919.

The Southgate Road Chapel was built adjoining a school at the north corner of Balmes Road. It was registered Congregational in 1860-1869. Attendance in 1886 was 204 in the morning and 237 in the evening. By 1903 attendance was 57 in the morning and 205 in the evening. The church closed between 1935 and 1938. It is likely that the Southgate Road Chapel was founded when the congregation of the Pavement Chapel, Hoxton, found it was too small for their needs and decided to construct a larger church.

The Stepney Meeting House was founded in 1644. The congregation met at various locations including private houses. They were initially met with hostility, for example, in 1682 troops destroyed the fittings of the Meeting House. However, after the Toleration Act of 1689 the dissenters were able to establish a permament church. This was at New Road and later on Stepney Way.

When the Congregational Church and the Presbyterian Church decided to amalgamate to form the new United Reformed Church in 1972, the John Knox Presbyterian Church merged with Stepney Meeting House. For a short while both buildings continued to be used for worship, but in 1976 the Stepney Meeting House building on the corner with Copley Street was sold to the John Cass Foundation for use as a school chapel. The Stepney Meeting House United Reformed Church now meets in a modern building on Stepney Way.

Fetter Lane Congregational Church was founded in 1660 on Fetter Lane, near High Holborn and Chancery Lane in the City of London. In 1894 falling membership forced a move to Leyton, where the church merged with an existing congregation worshipping in a temporary iron church. A new permanent church was constructed in 1899 on Langthorne Road, in a 17th century style which recalled the original Fetter Lane Chapel. The name Fetter Lane Congregational Church was adopted for the Leyton church. It is now a United Reformed Church.

The Canning Town Congregational Church, Barking Road, originated in 1855, in services conducted at Plaistow Marsh by Thomas Perfect, who had been converted at Brickfields by Robert Ferguson. Although lacking formal training, he served successfully as pastor until he retired in 1884. In 1860 a small chapel was built in Swanscombe Street. This was superseded in 1868 when a new building was erected in Barking Road, Plaistow, but remained in use as a mission hall. Another mission hall was maintained at North Woolwich from about 1879 to 1907. Under F. W. Newland the Mansfield House university settlement became closely associated with the church, its boys' club being centred at the Swanscombe Street hall, which was rebuilt in 1891. The Canning Town church reached its peak membership of 261 in 1902. F. W. Piper devised a scheme to unite under his superintendency most of the Congregational churches in the area, as the South West Ham mission. Canning Town, Victoria Docks, and their missions came together in 1906, and were joined in 1909 by Greengate. The object of the mission was to ensure pastoral care for churches too poor to support separate ministers, but the traditions of independence were too strong: Greengate left the union in 1914 and Victoria Docks in 1917. Canning Town continued to call itself the South West Ham mission until 1923. All its buildings were badly damaged in the Second World War. Swanscombe Street, wrecked in 1940, was later demolished. The Barking Road church, twice bombed, was derelict from 1941. Its dwindling congregation continued to meet elsewhere in various borrowed premises, under the leadership of Mrs. M. Angel, widow of a former minister. Through her efforts a smaller church, opened in 1949, was erected on the foundations of the old one. She died in 1959 and the church closed almost immediately.

From: 'West Ham: Roman Catholicism, Nonconformity and Judaism', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 123-141.

The Wycliffe Congregational Church, Stepney, was founded in 1642 on Philpot Street.

Christ Church Congregational Church, Cranbrook Road, started in an iron building in 1895, mainly through the work of Robert Pettigrew. It was formally constituted in 1896. In 1906 it was joined by the members of Wycliffe Congregational Church, Stepney. Christ Church had changed its name to Wycliffe in 1904, in anticipation of this union. The Stepney church was sold, and in 1907 the united congregation built a new Wycliffe on the Ilford site.

From: 'The borough of Ilford', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (1966), pp. 249-266.

Christ Church Congregational Church, Cranbrook Road, started in an iron building in 1895, mainly through the work of Robert Pettigrew. It was formally constituted in 1896. In 1906 it was joined by the members of Wycliffe Congregational Church, Stepney. Christ Church had changed its name to Wycliffe in 1904, in anticipation of this union. The Stepney church was sold, and in 1907 the united congregation built a new Wycliffe on the Ilford site.

From: 'The borough of Ilford', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (1966), pp. 249-266.

Sydney Street Chapel had origins in a group which met under Reverend Josiah Viney at a schoolroom in Bonner Street in 1844. They moved to Morpeth Street in 1845 and Sydney Street, Globe Town, in 1850. Worshippers were entirely 'working people' and included most of the women at the industrial home in Homerton, to which minister Benjamin Woodyard was attached. The Chapel was registered for Congregationalists in 1861 and again when rebuilt to seat 370 in 1865. The church closed in 1901.

From: 'Bethnal Green: Protestant Nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 228-240.

Upper Clapton Congregational Church on Upper Clapton Road was founded in 1815. When the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches merged in 1972, it became Upper Clapton United Reformed Church.

Barnsbury Congregational Chapel and school room, was built in 1835 on the corner of Barnsbury and Milner streets, under Charles Gilbert who had resigned from Islington chapel. The church seated 500 in 1838. It reopened in 1841 after alterations, now seating 550. In 1851 the chapel seated 708; attendance was 556 for morning service and 347 in the evening. Attendance in 1903 was 113 in the morning and 497 in the evening. Numbers declined from around 1900 and the chapel closed in 1909.

From: 'Islington: Protestant nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.

The first Independent [Congregational] congregation in Isleworth was registered in 1798. A place of worship for Congregationalists is mentioned in 1831, and in 1849 the present chapel at the corner of Twickenham Road and Worton Road was opened. A British school was attached to it from 1840 to the eighties.

From: 'Heston and Isleworth: Protestant nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 131-133.

The Weigh House in Cornhill was situated on the south side of Eastcheap, between Botolph Lane and Love Lane. In 1697 a Meeting House was founded above the Weigh House for members of the congregation of the Reverend S. Slater, who had been compelled in 1662 by the Act of Uniformity to resign the living of the Church of Saint Katherine by the Tower. This meeting was Presbyterian but by 1780 the church joined the Congregational Church, and became known as the King's Weigh House Chapel. In 1832 the site of the chapel site was required for road building and the congregation moved to Fish Street Hill, where they remained until 1882 when this chapel site was required for the construction of Monument Station. The congregation merged with a small church on Robert Street (now called Weigh House Street) and built new, larger premises on Duke Street, Westminster, opened in 1891. The church closed in 1965 when the congregation merged with that of Whitefield Memorial Church on Tottenham Court Road. The Duke Street building is now a Ukrainian Catholic cathedral.

Anerley Congregational Church was founded in 1856, and was part of the London Congregational Union Metropolitan Surrey District. In 1903 it had 300 members. The Penge Congregational Church was possibly a preaching station or branch church of the Anerley Church. It was situated on Beckenham Road, between Penge and Anerley. It was part of the London Congregational Union Metropolitan Kent District.

Since its formation in 1811, East Hill United Reformed Church has also been known as East Hill Congregational Church and Wandsworth Congregational Church. The first meeting place was the old chapel in Wandsworth High Street formerly used by French refugees. However, as membership grew a new premises became necessary, a purpose built hall being opened on East Hill in 1860. This growth in size was reflected in the variety of activities the church pursued, ranging from Missions to other parts of Wandsworth such as Eltringham, to their Literary and Debating Society and the Dorcas Society.

The origins of the Staines Congregational Church, Thames Street, are in a small congregation of independents formed in 1789. A minister was appointed by the group in the same year, but no meeting house was constructed until 1802. This was situated on Tilley's Lane. In 1837 a new chapel was constructed at Thames Street. Designed by W Higgins, it was brick with an Ionic portico looking towards the High Street. In 1956 this chapel was demolished to allow road widening and a third constructed, designed by J P Blake. The present day church is situated on Stainash Crescent, off Kingston Road.

Forest Gate Congregational Church had its origins in a Gospel Service conducted by Jabez Legg in a cottage at Forest Gate. These services began in 1825 and by 1832 has expanded enough that a chapel was constructed, called Forest Gate Chapel. By the 1850s the local area developed from a small semi-rural community into a suburban neighbourhood, and it was decided to construct a new church in the middle of this development, which was completed in 1856. It was also at this date that the chapel joined the Congregationalist Church. Between 1884 and 1888 extensive rebuilding works took place, with further rebuilding in the 1920's.

New Court, one of the earliest nonconformist chapels in London, dates from 1662 when under the Act of Uniformity Doctor Thomas Manton was ejected from the church of Saint Paul's, Covent Garden. He established himself as a nonconformist minister in a chapel built for him in Bridges Street in the same parish. The church remained there until 1682 when as a result of the Five Mile Act it was forced to close due to the imprisonment of its minister, Richard Baxter. James II's Declaration of Indulgence in 1687 enabled another nonconformist minister, Daniel Burgess, to re-open the chapel and after nine years the congregation moved to more substantial premises in Russell Court, Drury Lane, to a building between an old burial ground and the theatre.

On the expiry of the lease in 1705 another move was necessary and a new building was erected in New Court, Carey Street. The congregation remained there for over a hundred and fifty years and as a result the chapel thereafter was known as New Court Chapel.

While at Carey Street the chapel was attacked by a mob supporting Doctor Sachaverell, a high church fanatic who had preached a libellous sermon against dissenters, and this caused it to close for a short time. It was also during this period that New Court was specified as being a Congregational chapel for the first time. Until then the differences between the Presbyterians and Congregationalists had not been well defined. Thomas Bradbury, a minister who had come to New Court from a nearby nonconformist church at Fetter Lane, stipulated that the chapel should be run on the Congregational model.

The extension of the Law Courts in 1866 forced the congregation to move again and a new church was built at Tollington Park. Mission premises at Lennox Road were acquired in the 1880s. The Tollington Park premises were sold to the Roman Catholic church in 1959 (it is now Saint Mellitus Roman Catholic Church). The congregation moved to new premises on Regina Road in 1961 where it remained until its closure in 1976.

Plaistow Congregational Church, Balaam Street, originated in 1796 in a mission conducted by W. Newman, a Baptist minister from Bow. Regular meetings were held in private houses, and in the open air, until 1807, when a building was erected in North Street by a group of Independents and Baptists under Robert Marten, who was the leading layman until his death in 1839. A union church of the two denominations was constituted in 1812, with Henry Lacey (1812-1824) as minister. 'Marten and his religious crew' encountered local opposition and even violence in the early days, but their numbers grew. A day-school was opened (1844) and in 1860 a new church was built in Balaam Street. John Foster (1865-1869) was the church's only Baptist minister. In 1869 part of the congregation - probably the Baptists - apparently seceded with him to form a church in Upper Road, Plaistow, which soon disappeared. After this, Balaam Street seems to have had little or no Baptist connexions. Under Richard Partner (1888-1903) the membership increased rapidly as the area was built up, reaching 670 in 1902, by which time the church had been enlarged to accommodate 1,000. In 1887 a mission hall was built in Southern Road. After 1903 Balaam Street began to decline, though it remained fairly strong until 1939. During the Second World War the church was bombed, being finally abandoned in 1945 and later demolished. Meanwhile, in 1943, the members of Balaam Street and Southern Road united with Greengate as Plaistow Congregational church.

From: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 123-141.

Wakefield Street church originated in 1886, when S. W. Patmore opened a mission in the Holme Road Assembly Room. In 1890 this work was taken over by the London Congregational Union, which erected an iron church in Stamford Road, with E. T. Egg as temporary pastor. In 1897 H. G. Brown became the first settled minister, and in 1901 a brick church, seating 800, was opened in Wakefield Street. In 1903 this was the strongest Congregational church in East Ham. A Sunday school was built in 1911, when the church membership was 215. In 1940 the church was destroyed by bombing, and from 1941 to 1945 the congregation worshipped in East Avenue Presbyterian church. The Sunday school, fronting on Myrtle Road, survived, and was later used for worship until 1957, when the church was rebuilt.

Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 31-38.

The foundation stone of Blackheath Congregational Church was laid on 18 July 1883 and the church, which was designed by the architects Brandon and Ritchie of Greenwich, was opened for public worship on 11 July 1854.

The church was badly damaged during the Second World War. In February 1957 a new building, designed by Dannatt, was erected within the walls of the old church. The ecumenical developments of the 1960s led to the union of the Baptist and Congregationalist congregations in Blackheath, and in 1974 the Blackheath Congregational Church was closed.

The Congregationalists are said to have founded a congregation in a private house in 1909 although increased numbers eventually led to their renting a hall. The church building in Villiers Road was registered in 1913. This was an iron building given by the friends of Penge (Kent) Congregational Church. A more permanent building was erected adjoining it and registered in 1932.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 52-53.

Harringay Congregational Church originated in a Sunday school started in 1891 in Falkland Hall, an upstairs room behind a shop at the south corner of Falkland Road and Green Lanes. Land was bought at the junction of Allison Road with Green Lanes and an iron building was opened there in 1894. It was replaced by a permanent church, opened in 1902, and by a new hall and schoolrooms, built as a threestorey block in Allison Road in 1912. The church, of red brick with stone dressings and in the Gothic style, underwent major internal reconstruction in 1970, when the seating capacity was reduced from about 650 to 220. All three halls, collectively known as Allison Hall, were retained by the church in 1972, although the bottom one had been leased to the government since 1947. In 1969 Harringay Congregational Church united with Hornsey Church of Christ. The Hornsey premises, in Wightman Road, were sold and the new church became known as Harringay United Church.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 356-364.

East Finchley Congregational Church originated with meetings of Independents in 1804. They built a chapel on the edge of Finchley Common, facing the Great North Road, in 1830 and enlarged it in 1846. The building, further enlarged in 1861 and 1874, was restored as a lecture hall and Sunday school after a fire in 1875. An imposing stone chapel, accommodating 600, was opened at the junction of High Road and East End Road in 1878. A new hall and Sunday school were built behind in 1895, whereupon the old chapel was sold. The chapel was extended in 1926 but demolished in 1965, when part of the site was sold. A smaller chapel and hall, each seating 150, were opened in 1970.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate (1980), pp. 87-91.

Wood Green Congregational Church was registered in 1864, three years after meetings had started in schoolrooms nearby. The building, the first permanent nonconformist church to serve the new houses of Wood Green, was estimated to hold 500 and in 1873 was criticized as too large. It was classical in style, with roundheaded doors and windows, pilasters, and a pedimented front facing Lordship Lane at the corner of Redvers Road. The congregation was united with Harringay Congregational church in 1964, whereupon the Wood Green Church building was acquired by the local authority as an arts centre.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 356-364.

Lyndhurst Road Congregational Church, Rosslyn Hill, Hampstead, originated in services held in an iron building on Willoughby Road in 1876. A church with around 60 members was formed in 1880. By 1883 membership had risen to 220 and the iron church often held 600 in a space designed for 440. 4 members of the church bought land on Rosslyn Grove estate, keeping part of the land to build a new church and selling on the remaining land to finance the construction. Theologian Robert F. Horton became the full time minister in 1884, remaining until 1930. He was an influential writer and preacher, whose Sunday night lectures drew many working men. The new church, seating 1,500, was opened in 1884. A lecture hall and school were added later. Membership was 1,276 in 1913 but fell to 1,000 during the First World War and to 613 in 1939. In 1972 the church became United Reformed when the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged. The church was closed in 1978.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 153-158.

Linden Grove Congregational Church was founded in 1858. it ran a Mission on Howbury Road, Camberwell. The church was part of the London Union South East District. It does not appear to have joined the United Reformed Church when the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches merged in 1972; it may have closed before this date.

College Place (later Elystan Road) Chapel was built in 1838 by John Stacey on ground on the south side of College Place belonging to George Downing, a trustee of Ranelagh chapel. The chapel was registered for Wesleyan Methodists by Edward Ellard in 1839. The chapel closed in 1908 and was taken by the Salvation Army in 1909.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 12: Chelsea (2004), pp. 263-272.

The Ebenezer Chapel, King Street, Hammersmith, was founded in 1774 although the chapel was not ready until 1784. In 1855 the congregation moved to the Albion Congregational Church, Dalling Road, Hammersmith. The church subsequently closed and is now occupied by the Salvation Army.

Arundel Square Congregational Church had its origins in a temporary chapel in York Place (later Saint Clement Street), Barnsbury, which was founded in 1861. The Arundel Square church and schoolrooms opened in 1863 at the corner of Westbourne Road and Bride Street. Galleries were added in 1865, by 1884 the church seated 1,000 people. The Church ran a preaching station at the Great Northern Railway station on Sundays from 1884. Attendance in 1903 was 170 in the morning and 232 in the evening. The church closed in 1931. The building was used by free Baptists in 1931-1935, before sale to Saint Giles Christian mission.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.

Lower Street (now Essex Road) Congregational Chapel was built in 1744 on the south corner of Greenman's Lane. It was the first dissenting chapel in Islington. During the ministry of John Gawsell, 1761-1768, seceders met in Ward's Place, an old house just south of the chapel, but the congregation was reunited when their minisiter left. Numbers rose after 1768 and galleries were built to provide added accommodation. The church was known as Islington Meeting House in 1800. The Chapel was much enlarged in 1820, when the front was brought forward. A schoolroom for 200 was also later added. Attendance in 1851 was 476 in the morning and 560 in the evening. The lease expired in 1865 and a new chapel in River Street (later River Place) was registered in 1864. A lecture room was added by 1872. However, attendance in 1903 was 19 in the morning and 86 in the evening, and the church closed in 1909.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.

The Horbury Congregational Chapel was constructed in 1848-1849 to designs by architect J Tarring, situated on the junction of Ladbroke Road and Kensington Park Road. The Chapel was an offshoot of the Congregational Church on Hornton Street. The Chapel closed in 1935 and was renamed Kensington Temple, owned first by the Church of the Foursquare Gospel and then by the Elim Pentecostal Church.

The New Tabernacle Congregational Church, Old Street, was founded in 1832. It was called the 'new' Tabernacle church to distinguish it from the Methodist Tabernacle at nearby Moorfields, which had been founded in 1732. it was closed in 1950.

Hoxton Academy was a training school for Congregational ministers, founded in 1782. The school moved to the Hoxton premises in 1791 and remained there until moving to Highbury in 1826 and becoming Highbury College. The Hoxton Academy Chapel was a mission church founded by the New Tabernacle Church.

In 1926, Linden Grove Church, Peckham Rye, being without a minister, joined together with Christ Church Congregational Church, Peckham High Street, the new combined church taking the name Church of the Strangers. This arrangement came to an end in 1927; the church in Linden Grove reverted to its former name, and that in Peckham High Street became the Church of the Strangers. Marriages of the combined church were performed in the Linden Grove Church.

Christ Church at Whetstone United Reformed Church has its origins in independent meetings first held in Whetstone in 1788. In 1817 the meetings were moved to Totteridge where at first the congregation met in private houses. A permanent chapel with adjacent school room were constructed on Totteridge Lane in 1827, named the 'Totteridge Lane Chapel'. In 1884 it was agreed that the church should move to the developing residential area of Oakleigh Park, Whetstone, and a plot of land was duly purchased. A new church and school were built and opened in 1888, with the name 'Whetstone Congregational Church, Oakleigh Park'. In 1900 the church was gutted by a fire. It was decided to convert the damaged church into a hall, and build a new church and school room. In 1972 the Congregational Church merged with the Presbyterian Church to form the United Reformed Church, and the Whetstone church accordingly changed its name to 'The United Reformed Church, Whetstone'. Extensive rebuilding work was undertaken in 1975-1976, including the construction of a new church and a block of flats. In 1979 the name 'Christ Church at Whetstone United Reformed Church, Oakleigh Park' was adopted.

Park Chapel on Crouch Hill was opened in 1855. Alterations increased its seating to 1,017 in 1877 and 1,430 by 1894. After further extensions it had the largest Congregationalist attendances in Hornsey. The chapel and its halls formed a popular social centre, accommodating Hornsey British school until 1877. The Grove mission was apparently established in 1881 and served from Park chapel in 1951.The Chapel amalgamated with Ferme Park Baptist Church to form Union Church, Crouch End in 1974.

Mount View Congregational church was founded to serve Stroud Green. A hall was opened in 1887 and used for worship until the completion of a larger building in 1893. The church was closed and demolished in 1935.

Hornsey British school was built in 1864 and opened in 1865, largely through the efforts of Russell Maynard, a member of Park chapel. The schoolrooms, for boys, girls, and infants, adjoined the chapel. The school was supported by voluntary contributions in 1870 but received a parliamentary grant from 1871. Between 1871 and 1873 the average attendance rose from 94 to 177. Hornsey school board took over the premises in 1875 and later moved the pupils to Park Road school.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate.

Kingsland Congregational Church had its origins in prayer meetings for brickmakers held in their foreman's house in 1789. In Summer meetings were held on Kingsland green. In 1792 a site for a permanent chapel was found in Robinson's Row, on the west side of Kingsland High Street. The Chapel was registered as Congregational (also known as Independent) in 1794. The Kingsland School (later institute) was opened in 1808 and came to be associated with the Congregational Church.

The Pilgrim Fathers' Memorial Church on Great Dover Street had a traditional origin in a congregation of Protestant Separatists who met in 1592 'in the house of Roger Rippon in Southwark.' It claimed with more likelihood descent from a congregation which existed in 1616, and from which some of the Pilgrim Fathers emigrated. The congregation moved to a chapel in the New Kent Road in 1863-1864, named the Southwark Park Congregational Church.

The Southwark Park Congregational Church was destroyed by enemy bombing during the Second World War. The Church was replaced by a new multi purpose building on Great Dover Street, the Pilgrim Church House.

Hare Court Congregational Church was founded in 1688 in Hare Court, off Aldersgate in the Copyright: City of London. In 1857 the church was moved to Saint Paul's Road, Canonbury. It is now Harecourt United Reformed Church.

Woodford Congregational Church was founded about 1790 at a site in Horn Lane. This Church established a Congregational mission in 1870 in a cottage in Victoria Road, near George Lane, and two years later a temporary iron church was erected at the corner of Daisy Road. The first pastor was appointed in 1876. Though the building was twice enlarged, a bigger one was soon needed. In 1879 land in George Lane was purchased, and in 1886 a new church was completed to the design of Thomas Arnold in the Early English style.

Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 352-358.

As a result of missionary activity from Woodford Congregational Church, Horn Lane, a chapel was erected in Globe Road, near Ray Lodge, in 1865. From 1886 onwards a resident minister was appointed. In 1900 a new, Gothic church, designed by F. Boreham, and costing £3,500, was built in Snakes Lane East, near the chapel, which remained in use as a mission-room until its purchase by the New Apostolic church. An institute was added in 1920. In 1930 Ray Lodge Congregational church became independent of the parent church at Woodford. It is now part of Ray Lodge United Reformed Church.

Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 352-358.

In 1782 George Gold, minister of the Brickfields Congregational church in West Ham, began to hold services in a hired house at Barking. A church was formally constituted in 1785, and a meeting-house erected in the Broadway. In 1829 the congregation was estimated at 350-400. The church, which had been enlarged in 1805, was rebuilt in 1824-1826, during the pastorate of George Corney. Joseph Smedmore promoted the erection of a new and larger building, opened in 1864, and the addition of new schoolrooms in 1877. After the First World War, when many residents in the older part of Barking were moving into the new houses north of the railway, the church sold its building in the Broadway, and in 1929 erected a new one in Upney Lane. The church joined the United Reformed Church in 1973.

Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (1966), pp. 231-233.