Showing 15888 results

Authority record

The Greater London Western District Coroner's Court was based at Hammersmith Coroner's Court, 77 Fulham Palace Road, W6. The jurisdiction of the court covered the boroughs of Kingston upon Thames, Ealing, Hammersmith, Hillingdon, Hounslow and Richmond.

The coronership is an ancient county office concerned originally with pleas of the crown within the county. By 1689 the Coroner's duties had been reduced to the holding of inquests in cases of death under circumstances of suspicion and committing to trial persons against whom verdicts of murder or manslaughter had been returned by the inquest jury. Coroners were also empowered to hold inquests over 'treasure trove' and wrecks.

Under an Act of 1752 (26 Geo II c29) coroners were paid 20/- for every inquisition held and 9d for every mile travelled to view a body. These fees were paid out of the County rates by order of the justices. Coroners returned accounts of inquests held, usually in the form of a list, giving also the mileage travelled and total sum due, which were approved for payment, in Middlesex, by an Accounts Committee. Sometimes inquisitions and witnesses' depositions were returned instead of or in addition to the account.

Coroners were elected by county freeholders (except in certain liberties) and held the office for life. By the Local Government Act 1888 the power to appoint Coroners was transferred to the new County Councils.

Counties were usually divided into districts with a Coroner assigned to each. Sometimes, however, Coroners did act in the district of another Coroner. Coroner's districts changed in size and extent over time, often due to increased population and changes in local government boundaries.

For a guide on how to use Coroners' Records and information about access to confidential records please see the hard copy guide in the Information Area or consult a member of staff.

In 1868 the Association of Foreign Bondholders was formed as a profit-making body. It was financed to a total of £60,000 by subscribers who were given certificates bearing interest at 5% In 1873 the "Corporation of Foreign Bondholders" was incorporated under licence from the Board of Trade as an association without profits. The 5% certificates were replaced by certificates of permanent membership with the right to elect members to the Council of the Corporation. Many certificates eventually passed into the hands of non-bondholders, some of whom wanted a return to profit-making status. The act of Parliament of 1898 provided for the redemption of the certificates and vested the right to nominate members to the Council in public bodies. The Corporation was entrusted by Parliament with the duty, amongst others, of watching over and protecting the rights and interests of holders of foreign government bonds and of making, for this purpose, representations to foreign governments. The Council of the Corporation consisted of 21 ordinary members, six of whom were appointed by the British Bankers' Association, six by the London Chamber of Commerce, and nine co-opted by the Council as a whole. The Corporation worked in close co-operation with independent bodies which dealt with particular countries or loans, such as the League Loans Committee (an international body), the Chinese Bondholders' Committee and the Committee of British Long-Term and Medium-Term Creditors of Germany. The Corporation was based at Palmerston Buildings, 34 Old Broad Street (1870-1872), 10/17 Moorgate (1873-1969), 68 Queen Street (1970-1975), 9-12 Cheapside (1976-1982) and 35 High Street, Bromley in Kent (1982-8). The Corporation went into liquidation in 1988.

The Corporation of Insurance Brokers was formed in 1906 as the Association of Insurance Brokers and Agents and incorporated in 1910. It aimed to represent and provide a central organization for incorporated insurance brokers. From 1910-18 it was known as the Corporation of Insurance Brokers and Agents, until the agents formed a separate Corporation of Insurance Agents (see Ms 35853). The CIB was initially based at 1-2 Queen Street, Cheapside. It moved to 59a London Wall in 1915; to 3 St Helen's Place in 1926 and then in 1961 to 15 St Helen's Place.

Corporation of London

Under the provisions of the Asylums Act 1853, the Corporation of London was empowered by statute to provide an Asylum to house the insane of the City of London. Land was acquired at Stone, near Dartford, Kent, in 1859 and in July of the same year James Bunstone Bunning, the City's Clerk of the Works (later City Architect and Surveyor), was instructed to prepare plans and estimates. These were laid before the special Lunatic Asylum Committee at the end of September 1859. Initially provision was made for more than 300 patients but this was reduced to 250 by the Commissioners in Lunacy in 1860. The Asylum was officially opened on 16th April 1866 and was managed by a Committee of Visitors composed of Aldermen and JP's.

By 1872 the asylum was full and extensions were necessary. Development soon began on a new wing, opened in 1875. The passing of the 1890 Lunacy Act meant the Hospital could take advantage of the authority contained therein and admit private patients. From 1st January 1892 it was in a position to do so; and by 1897 such was the demand for accommodation of private patients - who wore their own clothes, had improved dietary provision and had separate wards from the pauper patients - that some admissions were declined. By 1910 305 of the 610 patients in the hospital were private. By 1921 the number of private patients had risen to 357.

By November 1905, the Visiting Committee wanted to adopt the description 'City of London Mental Hospital' instead of asylum. The 1923 Mental Treatment Bill confirmed the term 'Mental Hospital' replaced 'Asylum'; and from 1924 the name of the hospital was changed to the City of London Mental Hospital. After the Local Government Act 1929 conferred upon the London County Council the mental and isolation hospitals formerly run by the Metropolitan Asylums Board (MAB) and local Boards of Guardians, there was discussion over whether the City of London Mental Hospital should be similarly transferred. The Visiting Committee strongly opposed this and it was agreed the hospital could remain under the auspices of the City of London. In July 1948 the Hospital passed out of the Corporation's administrative control into that of the NHS.

During April 1948, the Darenth and Stone Hospital's Management Committee (DSHMC) was set up as part of the transferral programme of hospitals into the NHS. The other hospitals in the group were Darenth Park and Mabledon Park, Maidstone. All apart from Stone House had been previously run by the LCC. Re-organisation of the Heath Service in June 1971 meant that Stone House and Mabledon and Darenth Park amalgamated with the Dartford Hospital Management Committee, forming the Dartford and Darenth Hospital Management Committee.

In April 1973, when Health Boards were re-organised again, this time as Area Health Authorities, the hospital group came under the Dartford and Gravesham Heath District. In 1998 the Trust in charge of Stone House, Thameslink Healthcare NHS, agreed the hospital was no longer suitable for provision of modern healthcare and would be closed in line with Department of Health policies. This decision was carried forward by the next healthcare providers Thames Gateway NHS Trust. The West Kent NHS and Social Care Trust started the work of closing the hospital in 2003, and after 139 years of service, Stone House finally closed in 2005. The main hospital, chapel, service blocks, and staff accommodation presently survive largely unaltered - they are Grade II listed - but are becoming run down and await suitable redevelopment.

See also website managed by Francine Payne: http://www.dartfordhospitalhistories.org.uk/ (correct as of August 2010).

Corporation of London

The London court of orphans was established in the middle ages, with the first recorded case heard in 1276. The mayor and aldermen, sitting in the Inner Chamber of the Guildhall, handled cases relating to the care of the orphans of freedmen. When a freedman died with children who were underage, the executor of his will was obliged to report the death at the Guildhall. He then agreed to produce an inventory of the dead man's estate, from which the worth of the dead man was calculated and then divided between the widow, any legitimate children and finally anyone else specified in the will of the deceased. The court appointed guardians, usually the widow or close relatives, to care for the orphans and their inheritance until the orphan reached the age of majority. The guardian had to give a recognizance, or promise, guaranteeing that they would pay the orphan their full inheritance when they came of age. The recognizance had to be confirmed by at least three sureties, people who would pay the monies owed in the event of the guardian becoming bankrupt. In 1492 the court began the custom of meeting on every second Monday during Lent and summoning all sureties to make sure they could still meet their obligations. Guardians were monitored to ensure that they did not cheat the orphan out of their money, and, in the case of female orphans, were not married inappropriately. Guardians who did not obey the court could be imprisoned or fined.

By 1560 the number of cases handled by the court had expanded rapidly although no single officer was ever responsible for the court. Instead several officers were responsible for seeing that court business took place: the mayor and aldermen heard cases; the common serjeant acted as advocate for the orphans; the common crier made inventories and ensured that new cases were reported; the chamberlain took recognizances and took deposit of the inheritance if it was decided not to give it to the care of a guardian, and the clerk of orphans performed a range of administrative duties in this, as well as other, courts. Tables and scales were introduced which determined how much a funeral could cost, how much a guardian could deduct from the inheritance to cover the cost of maintenance of the orphan, and what fees could be charged by the court.

The court of orphans played an important financial role within the City of London because inheritances were increasingly deposited with the chamberlain, who used the money as loan capital when borrowing to help shore up the city's worsening finances. The court therefore suffered a decline during the 1680s and 1690s, when the city experienced a financial collapse and money due to orphans could not be paid. Several orphans petitioned Parliament for payment of their inheritance, leading to the passing of the Orphans' Act in March 1694. This led to the formation of an Orphans' Fund which consolidated all the city's debts for ease of repayment. The incident marked the end of the traditional court of orphans and the government curtailed London's medieval legal practices in 1724, although some intestacy functions did continue until the 1850s. The legal functions of the court were taken over by Chancery.

Corporation of London

Mansion House has been the official residence of the Lord Mayor of London since 1753. It includes the Justice Room where the Mayor held a Magistrates' Court. To this end, incorporated into the fabric of the building are 11 holding cells, including 'the birdcage' for female prisoners.

The final sitting of the Mansion House Justice Room took place on 25 July 1991. It was then amalgamated with the Guildhall Justice Room to form the City of London Magistrates' court, with new premises at 1 Queen Victoria Street, EC4, opened by the Lord Chancellor on 13 Nov 1991.

Corporation of London

A Magistrates' Court was held in the Guildhall Justice Room.

The Justice Room and offices were over built by William Rolfe for £2,900. The contract was awarded in 1795, the rooms completed and furnished by 1798. 5 Church Passage was appropriated to the Justice Room in 1858.

Corporation of London

A permanent Court of Commissioners of Sewers for the City of London was set up in 1667 after the Great Fire of London to undertake the construction of sewers and drains as well as the paving, cleaning and lighting of the City streets. Its powers were greatly extended by subsequent Acts of Parliament.

Under the City of London Sewers Act 1897, the Commission was dissolved with effect from January 1898 and its duties and responsibilities transferred to the Corporation and subsequently exercised by a separate Public Health Department until 1947 when the department was merged in the Town Clerk's Office.

Corporation of London

Bridge House Estates was established by Royal Charter in 1282 with responsibility for the maintenance of London Bridge, and subsequently built Blackfriars Bridge and Tower Bridge and bought Southwark Bridge and the pedestrian-only Millennium Bridge. Bridge House Estates are run by a committee of the City of London Corporation.

Bridge House was the administrative headquarters of the old London Bridge, situated near St Olave's Church. It was formed of properties bequeathed by Peter de Colechurch, the warden of the bridge from 1163, and Henry Fitz Ailwyn, the first Mayor of London in 1189.

The Bridge House Committee was originally part of the City Lands Committee, founded in 1592, but separated in 1818.

Bridge House Estates was originally funded by tolls on London Bridge as well as rents and leases of the buildings along the bridge. It soon acquired extensive property which made it financially self-sufficient. These funds are used to maintain the City bridges, while surplus monies are used to make charitable grants under the City Bridge Trust, established in 1995.

Corporation of London

The City Lands Committee is the oldest standing committee of the Corporation of London. The City Lands formed an extensive estate and provided a major source of income for the City government. A Charter of 1444 formally granted to the City the ownership of the streets, ways, common soil and enclosures of the common soil. Finally the City Lands also included property purchased by the City or administered by the City in trust such as the Philpot, Carpenter and Reynwell estates.

Until the reign of Elizabeth I the City Lands were administered under the authority of the Court of Aldermen, although from the early-16th century the day to day leasing of the City Lands property was carried out by the Chamberlain until on 2 May 1559 the Court of Aldermen voted to resume this function. Thenceforth decisions over leasing were made by a body of senior aldermen called the Surveyors, assisted by the Chamberlain. The Surveyors ceased to meet after 23 December 1590. The successor body, the City Lands and Bridge House Committee, only met for the first time in May 1592. The most striking difference between the new committee and the Surveyors who had preceded it was that the committee included for the first time permanent membership of six Common Councilmen as well as four Alderman.

The City Lands and Bridge House Estates Committee is still responsible for the management of the lands and buildings under the City of London's aegis.

Corporation of London

The City of London was first granted the sole right of establishing markets in 1327 by Edward III, rights which were reaffirmed in 1663 by Charles II. Laws existed to ensure that markets were properly run and that traders were not able to sell products of inferior workmanship or bad food. Market tolls, lettings and regulation were handled by the Courts of Aldermen and Common Council. Supervision then passed to the City Lands Committee, before a Markets Committee was finally established. In 1875 the Committee was divided into sub-committees responsible for individual markets. The committees kept accounts and maintained buildings.

The City of London markets included Stocks Market, Honey Lane Market, Fleet Market, Newgate Market, Smithfield Market, Deptford Market, Farringdon Market, Billingsgate Market, London Central Meat and Poultry and Provision Markets and the Metropolitan Cattle Market at Islington. Several of these markets have been closed or amalgamated.

Corporation of London

Billingsgate Market is the oldest of the markets owned by the Corporation of London. The earliest reference to the market is found in a monastic chronicle which records laws for the regulation of the customs on ships at 'Blynesgate' made by King Ethelred in AD 976. The citizens of London were granted the right to collect tolls at Billingsgate in 1400 by Henry IV. In May 1699 an Act of Parliament conferred special privileges on the market, which was declared an open market for the sale of fish six days in the week, with mackerel to be sold on Sundays.

Originally fish was sold from stalls and sheds around the dock at Billingsgate. In 1850 a market building was constructed on Lower Thames Street but it proved to be inadequate and was demolished in 1873 to make way for the building which still stands today. Designed by Sir Horace Jones (who also designed Leadenhall and Smithfield markets), Billingsgate opened in 1876. The building is now a landmark Grade 2 listed structure.

The Billingsgate Market Acts of 1846 and 1871 and the City of London (Various Powers) Acts of 1973, 1979, 1987 and 1990, have confirmed the City's role as the Market Authority and laid down its responsibilities and rights, including the making of regulations, byelaws and the collection of tolls, rents and other charges. The Billingsgate and Leadenhall markets were controlled by the same superintendent who reported back to the Market Committee of the City of London.

Corporation of London

Leadenhall Market is situated between Fenchurch Street, Gracechurch Street and Leadenhall Street. The land formed the Manor of Leadenhall, which belonged to Sir Hugh Neville who permitted a small fair or market to be held on the grounds in 1309. The market grew and became known for poulterers, and by 1397, cheesemongers. In 1408 Lord Mayor Richard Whittington acquired the leasehold title of the Manor of Leadenhall and in 1411 the freehold was given to the City of London. The market continued to be used for the sale of fish, meat, poultry and corn.

In 1463 a beam for the weighing of wool was fixed at the market. In 1488 it was assigned the sole right to sell leather and in 1622 the sole right to sell cutlery. However, the market expanded too rapidly and in 1871 the City of London sought parliamentary powers to abandon the hide and meat markets, and to erect a market for poultry alone. These powers were granted in 1879 and the present building was erected in 1881, designed by Sir Horace Jones (who also designed Billingsgate and Smithfield markets). Leadenhall market also sold fish, mostly supplied from nearby Billingsgate. The Billingsgate and Leadenhall markets were therefore controlled by the same superintendent who reported back to the Market Committee of the City of London.

Corporation of London

In 1869 the government introduced the Cattle Diseases Prevention Act which introduced the practice of slaughtering imported foreign animals at the dock where they landed and not allowing them to progress inland while living. This prevented diseases spreading to domestic livestock. The Dockyard at Deptford had become outdated and was no longer suitable for the launching of ships. The Corporation of London bought the old dockyard and converted it into a cattle market and slaughterhouse for the reception of foreign cattle entering London. The market covered twenty-three acres and included pens for 4000 cattle and 12000 sheep as well as three jetties for the unloading of the livestock. It was opened in 1871 and soon became the principal market for the sale of foreign cattle, taking over this role from the Metropolitan Cattle Market at Islington, which continued to handle domestic cattle sales.

Corporation of London

Spitalfields Market dates to the thirteenth century, when the market was held in a field next to St Mary Spittel Church near Bishopsgate. In 1682, King Charles II granted John Balch a Royal Charter that gave him the right to hold a market on Thursdays and Saturdays in or near Spital Square. For the next 200 years, the market supplied fresh fruit and vegetables, becoming known for the sale of home-grown produce, which was being traded there six days a week.

By 1876, a former market porter called Robert Horner bought a short lease on the market and started work on a new market building, which was completed in 1893. In 1920, the Corporation of London acquired direct control of the market, extending the original buildings some eight years later.

For the next 60 years, Spitalfields' expanded and the traffic congestion in the surrounding narrow streets became difficult to manage. The market was forced to move and in May 1991 it reopened in Leyton.

Corporation of London

Newgate Market was probably a medieval foundation, mentioned in a Charter by King Stephen (1097-1154). It was situated between Rose Street, Newgate Street, Paved Alley and Paternoster Row, near St Paul's Cathedral. Before the Great Fire of London it was held in open stalls down the middle of the street, but after the fire it was relocated to an open piece of ground and a market building was erected. The market sold pigs and poultry as well as game, butter and eggs - with Leadenhall Market, it was the principal supply of pork and poultry to the City. The Market was abolished in 1869 when Smithfield Market was opened, and its site is now occupied by Paternoster Square.

Corporation of London

A cattle market was first founded at Islington in 1833, but it proved unpopular and was not well attended, shoppers preferring to use Smithfield Market. However, Smithfield had become too large to be contained within its site. In 1852 the Smithfield Market Removal Act was passed and by 1855 the Corporation of London had purchased 75 acres of land at Copenhagen Fields in Islington, to be the site of the new Metropolitan Cattle Market for the sale of live cattle. The new market incorporated pens for cattle, sheep, calves and pigs as well as sheds for lairage and a dead meat market.

The market was discontinued on 1 Jan 1964 under the City of London (Various Pavers) Act 1963 Part II s. 5(1).

Corporation of London

Smithfield Market was well established by 1174, when a Friday market for horses, pigs and cattle was held. The City of London gained rights over the market in 1327, under a charter granted by Edward III. In 1852 the live cattle market was relocated to a new site in Islington to ease pressures of space.

In 1860 the market was reorganised and renamed following the passing of the Metropolitan Meat and Poultry Market Act. Work began in 1866 on rebuilding the two main sections of the market, the East and West Buildings. The buildings, designed by architect Sir Horace Jones (who also designed Billingsgate and Leadenhall Markets), were completed in November 1868. These buildings were built above railway lines, enabling meat to be delivered directly to the market.

The principal meat market buildings were opened as the Metropolitan Meat and Poultry Market on 1 December 1868. An additional building was opened as the Poultry and Provisions Market on 30 November 1875. A few months earlier the market complex had been renamed the London Central Markets.

Corporation of London

Smithfield Market was well established by 1174, when a Friday market for horses, pigs and cattle was held. The City of London gained rights over the market in 1327, under a charter granted by Edward III. In 1852 the live cattle market was relocated to a new site in Islington to ease pressures of space.

In 1860 the market was reorganised and renamed following the passing of the Metropolitan Meat and Poultry Market Act. Work began in 1866 on rebuilding the two main sections of the market, the East and West Buildings. The buildings, designed by architect Sir Horace Jones (who also designed Billingsgate and Leadenhall Markets), were completed in November 1868. These buildings were built above railway lines, enabling meat to be delivered directly to the market.

The principal meat market buildings were opened as the Metropolitan Meat and Poultry Market on 1 December 1868. An additional building was opened as the Poultry and Provisions Market on 30 November 1875. A few months earlier the market complex had been renamed the London Central Markets.

During World War Two the wholesale distribution of meat was decentralised and only the poultry and provisions sections of the market operated from Smithfield. This continued until 1946 when (controlled) distribution of meat was re-established. Meat rationing ended in 1954 and Smithfield returned became a free trading market once again.

The original poultry market was destroyed by fire in 1958. The conflagration began on 23rd January of that year and raged for four days.

The City of London Corporation appointed architect T P Bennett and Son to design the new Poultry Market building which was opened in 1962. The East and West Market buildings underwent major refurbishment in the 1990s.

Corporation of London

When the London Coal and Wine Duties Continuance Bill was before the House of Commons in 1868, it met strong opposition. The suggestion was made that some compensation should be given by setting free the bridges across the Thames and Lea. This suggestion was embodied in the Act of 1868 by which the duties for the year 1888-1889 were to be applied in the first instance to freeing from toll the following bridges: Kew, Kingston, Hampton Court, Walton and Staines on the Thames, and then Chingford and Tottenham Mills Bridges (including Hellyer's Ferry Bridge) upon the River Lea. These objects were provided for by the Kew and other Bridges Act of 1869 and an amendment Act of 1874 by which a Joint Committee of the Corporation of London and the Metropolitan Board of Works was appointed. The Coal and Wine Duties of 1888-1889 were allocated as security for raising the necessary funds. The total cost of the purchase of the bridges was £155,485.2.0.

Kingston Bridge was vested in the Bailiffs and Freemen of the town, but mortgaged in 1826 to the Commissioners for the issue of Exchequer Bills for Public Works. It was thus a simple matter for the Committee in 1870 to redeem the outstanding debt of £15,600. On 12th March 1870 the bridge was opened free of toll.

Walton Bridge was owned by Thomas Newland Allen of the Vache, Chalfont St. Giles, Bucks. He claimed compensation of £29,510 from the Committee, but a jury summoned by the Sheriff of Middlesex assessed the value at £7,000. This was paid to Allen and the bridge was opened on 1st August 1870.

Staines Bridge was of Roman origin and was for many centuries the first bridge across the Thames above London. The newest bridge was built in 1828-1834. The title deeds of this bridge include many relating to the approaches of the old bridge, the site of the Bush Inn and Gardens. At the time of the freeing of the bridge, it was owned as a public trust. After negotiation the Solicitor to the Committee obtained agreement among the bondholders to accept a quarter of the capital sum, and a verdict for this amount was given on 2nd August 1870. The bridge was opened free of toll on 25th February 1871.

Kew Bridge was owned by Henry Hewett Mason by 1865 who claimed £73,832 as compensation, and although this claim was later moderated, £60,000 was the least he would accept voluntarily. The matter went to arbitration and he was awarded £57,300. The bridge was opened on 8th February 1873.

Hampton Court Bridge was owned by Thomas Newland Allen who claimed £61,600. The matter went to arbitration and an award of £48,048 was made on 19th April 1876. The bridge was freed on 8th July.

Tottenham Mills Bridge was owned by the New River Company which claimed £7,245 as compensation. A jury awarded £1,750. Chingford Bridge and Hellyer's Ferry Bridge at Tottenham were both owned by the East London Waterworks Company. The sums of £3,382 and £1,568 respectively were settled for the bridges. All three bridges were freed on 23rd February 1878.

Corporation of London

In May 1811 a Bill was passed for the construction of a new bridge to cross the Thames about a quarter of a mile west of London Bridge, and the Southwark Bridge Company was formed. The Company pushed ahead with the construction of Southwark Bridge despite opposition from the City of London and the Thames Conservatory Board, who did not consider it necessary. The bridge was begun in 1813 and opened at midnight on 24 March 1819, designed by Sir John Rennie. The bridge was not popular and was underused, despite the congestion on nearby London and Blackfriars Bridges.

In 1864 Bridge House Estates began leasing the bridge, and they purchased it in 1866 with the support of a Parliamentary Bill 'to facilitate the traffic of the metropolis by improving the communication across the River Thames'. They removed the toll charges which increased traffic, but poor access roads and the steep, narrow shape meant that the bridge was still underused. Bridge House Estates decided to rebuild the bridge and provide better service roads. Work began in 1913 but was delayed by the First World War. The present bridge was completed in 1921.

Corporation of London

In June 1883 the Coal, Corn and Finance Committee of the Corporation of London decided that the construction of some new means of communication across the Thames below London Bridge was essential, since the population of London east of London Bridge had expanded to 39% of the overall population of the metropolis, but they were served only by wharf-men and ferries. The Bridge House Estates Committee were asked to look into the matter and a Bill was presented to Parliament.

In March 1884 a Select Committee of House of Commons, convened to consider the matter, suggested that a low level bridge should be constructed at Little Tower Hill. The Bridge House Estates Committee began researching the best type of bridge, even visiting Europe to see different bridges in use. Eventually architect Horace Jones and engineer John Wolfe Barry were appointed to oversee construction and work began April 1886. The bridge was completed in August 1894.

Corporation of London

Blackfriars Bridge was constructed by Bridge House Estates, Corporation of London, in 1760 and opened in 1769, designed by engineer Robert Mylne. There was a toll for crossing the bridge until 1875 - a halfpenny for every foot passenger rising to a penny on Sundays. The bridge had to be extensively repaired in 1833 but was still not satisfactory and eventually it was decided to construct a new bridge.

The new Blackfriars Bridge was designed by Joseph Cubitt to be wider than the old bridge, less steep, and with fewer arches to allow water flow. Work began in 1865 and was finished by 1870.

Corporation of London

London Bridge is the oldest bridge in the City of London. A Roman structure existed in the same area and there were several Saxon versions in wood. The first stone bridge took 33 years to construct under the direction of priest Peter de Colechurch, finished in 1209. Bridge House Estates was established by Royal Charter in 1282 with responsibility for the maintenance of this Bridge.

In 1758 the houses and shops that lined the bridge were demolished to make it easier to cross, but problems with congestion only increased. In 1800 a committee was established to consider improvements to the bridge, but when it was discovered that tidal scouring had severely weakened the bridge's abutments, the decision was made to reconstruct. A granite bridge with five arches designed by John Rennie and his son Sir John Rennie was chosen and completed by 1831. The wider arches had the unforeseen consequence of allowing the tide further access inland and causing a problem with sewerage.

The 1831 bridge was unable to accommodate the increased traffic of the 20th century and was reconstructed in the 1960s, opening in 1973. The 1831 bridge was dismantled and shipped to Arizona where it was reconstructed over Lake Havasu.

Corporation of London

The Court of Husting was the oldest civic court in the City of London. Its business was divisible into Pleas of Land and Common Pleas. In the Court of Husting for Pleas of Land were pleaded writs of Right Patent (writs to recover possession of land and the property in them). In the Court of Husting for Common Pleas various writs could be pleaded, including among others recovery of a widow's dower of lands, recovery of lands and rents and recovery of distress wrongfully taken. Deeds and wills were also enrolled at this Court, and no foreigner could be admitted into the freedom of the City of London except at the Court of Husting.

The Court sat on Mondays, alternating between Pleas of Land and Common Pleas. The presiding judges were the Lord Mayor and Sheriffs, or six Aldermen if the Mayor was unavailable. A junior attorney took the job of Clerk of the Enrolments whose duty it was to enrol deeds and wills.

The business of the Court gradually declined and by the 1880s it hardly sat, being used mainly for the purpose of considering and registering gifts made to the City.

Corporation of London

The Mayor's Court developed as an adjunct to the Court of Husting (see CLA/023) as a result of business overflowing from that court. The first court roll dates to 1298 although proceedings were probably taking place before this, from around 1280. The Mayor's Court's main jurisdiction was to enforce the customs of London, including mercantile actions. The court could sit on any day.

Corporation of London

The office of Sheriff predates the Norman Conquest and refers to a high officer and representative of royal authority in a shire, who was responsible for the administration of the law. London had two sheriffs who were elected in September of each year. Each Sheriff held a court at his compter. These courts were later transferred to the Guildhall and then united with the City of London Court in 1867, finally being amalgamated with the Mayor's Court in 1921. The Sheriffs' Courts handled cases of debt and personal actions arising within the City.

A compter was a city prison for debtors and other civil prisoners.

Corporation of London

The City of London Court was formed when all Sheriff's Courts were united in 1867. The court handled actions of debt and other personal actions arising within the City. The court was amalgamated with the Mayor's Court in 1921.

Corporation of London

London had two sheriffs who were elected in September of each year. Each Sheriff formerly held a court at his Compter, but in 1867 these were transferred to Guildhall and united into the City of London Court. The Mayor's and City of London Court is the result of the amalgamation of the Mayor's Court and the City of London Court in 1921. Under the Courts Act, 1971 it was designated a county court after which time its records were no longer deposited in the CLRO. The City of London Court acquired admiralty jurisdiction under the powers of the County Courts Admiralty Jurisdiction Act of 1868 .

Corporation of London

The office of Sheriff predates the Norman Conquest and refers to a high officer and representative of royal authority in a shire, who was responsible for the administration of the law. London had two sheriffs who were elected in September of each year. In the City of London each Sheriff was responsible for a Compter, a city prison for debtors and other civil prisoners. Wood Street Compter was a medieval foundation with room for 70 inmates. It was divided into three sections for the rich, the comfortable and the poor. The Wood Street Compter was amalgamated with the Giltspur Street Compter in 1791.

Corporation of London

The office of Sheriff predates the Norman Conquest and refers to a high officer and representative of royal authority in a shire, who was responsible for the administration of the law. London had two sheriffs who were elected in September of each year. In the City of London each Sheriff was responsible for a Compter, a city prison for debtors and other civil prisoners. Giltspur Street Compter stood opposite St Sepulchre's Church and was designed by George Dance the Younger. The Wood Street Compter was amalgamated with the Giltspur Street Compter in 1791. It was demolished in 1855.

Corporation of London

The office of Sheriff predates the Norman Conquest and refers to a high officer and representative of royal authority in a shire, who was responsible for the administration of the law. London had two sheriffs who were elected in September of each year. In the City of London each Sheriff was responsible for a Compter, a city prison for debtors and other civil prisoners. The Poultry Compter was the oldest of the three City compters. The prisoners here were mainly committed by the Lord Mayor. The compter was demolished in 1817.

Corporation of London

The office of Sheriff predates the Norman Conquest and refers to a high officer and representative of royal authority in a shire, who was responsible for the administration of the law. London had two sheriffs who were elected in September of each year. In the City of London each Sheriff was responsible for a Compter, a city prison for debtors and other civil prisoners.

The Southwark Compter was also known as the Borough Compter.

Corporation of London

The administration of prisons and compters in London was the responsibility of the two Sheriffs. They in turn reported to the Court of Aldermen who issued orders and decrees relating to prison management.

Corporation of London

Ludgate Prison was established in 1378 in the gatehouse of the Ludgate. It was intended as a prison for Freemen and citizens of London convicted of crimes other than felony and maiming, and for clergy who were imprisoned for minor offences. It was closed in the nineteenth century.

Corporation of London

Whitecross Street Prison was a debtors' prison built in Whitecross Street, Islington, between 1813-1815, to ease the population of Newgate Prison. It held 400 prisoners. In 1870 all prisoners were transferred to the new Holloway Prison.

Corporation of London

Newgate Prison was founded by King Henry II in 1188 and was originally part of the gatehouse at Newgate. It was enlarged in 1236, rebuilt in 1423 with money donated by Lord Mayor Dick Whittington and burned down and was rebuilt in 1666. In 1399 Henry IV granted custody of the gates of London, with their attached prisons, to the citizens of London. Newgate ceased to be used as a prison in 1877. The building was demolished and the land used for an extension to the Old Bailey, opened in 1902.

Newgate was the most notorious of London's prisons. It was reserved for the worst of criminals, most of whom were under the death sentence. It was renowned for overcrowding, lack of air and water, and epidemics of gaol fever in which many prisoners and officials died.

Corporation of London

The conservation of the River Thames was entrusted to the citizens of London by a charter of 1197 and was exercised by the Corporation of London until 1857. Their jurisdiction extended from the River Colne near Staines to Yantlett Creek, Kent and included streams and creeks within these bounds. In 1857 jurisdiction was transferred to the Thames Conservators.

Corporation of London

The conservancy of the River Thames was entrusted to the citizens of London by various charters from 1197 and continued to be exercised by the Corporation until 1857. The jurisdiction extended from the River Colne near Staines to Yantlett Creek, Kent. Jurisdiction over the Thames from Staines to the sea was transferred to the Thames Conservators in 1857, several of whom continued to be appointed by the Corporation. An Act of 1866 added responsibility for the Upper Thames, at the same time increasing the number of Conservators. The powers of the Conservators in respect of the lower river as far as Teddington were vested in the Port of London Authority by the Port of London Act 1908. At the same time a new Thames Conservancy Act reconstituted the Thames Conservancy Board which administered the Upper Thames until 1974 when the Thames Water Authority was created as one of a series of regional water authorities. The Thames Water Authority also has some responsibilities (e.g. for fresh-water fishing) in the lower river.

Corporation of London

The Court of Requests was constituted by an Act of Common Council of 1518, under which Commissioners were appointed to hear cases for the recovery of small debts. Its jurisdiction was confirmed by Acts of Parliament until it was transferred to the Sheriffs' Courts in 1847.

Corporation of London

The Court of Judicature or 'Fire Court' was created by statute to settle disputes as to boundaries, old foundations, encroachments and so on, in connection with the rebuilding of the City after the Great Fire of 1666.

Corporation of London

The records of Courts of Law show the civic authorities dealing with criminal matters as agents of the Crown within the City, and, within their own courts, adjudicating upon civic and commercial matters brought before them.

Corporation of London

In the medieval period, the office of Coroner for the City of London was executed by the King's Butler and Chamberlain, but by a charter of Edward IV dated 20 June 1478, the future appointment of the City Coroner was granted to the Corporation of London, which retains that right to this day.

Under the City of London Fire Inquests Act, 1888, the City Coroner was empowered to hold a special "Fire Inquest" in any case where there was a "loss or injury by fire", irrespective of whether a death had occurred, within the City of London (the Act did not apply to Southwark, or to the metropolis outside the City itself). The Act stipulated that the City Police, and the Metropolitan Fire Brigade were to report all City Fires to the Coroner, and a fire inquest was to be held if the Coroner, the Lord Mayor, the Lord Chief Justice or a Secretary of State judged one necessary. Fire inquest proceedings were to be as similar as possible to a coroner's inquest on a dead body, and following it, a written report and copies of the inquest depositions were to be sent by the City Coroner to the Lord Mayor and the Home Secretary.

The Corporation of London acquired the right to appoint the Coroner of the Borough of Southwark as well by a charter of Edward VI dated 23 April 1550, and for many years prior to 1932 the same person held the offices of Coroner of both London and Southwark. In 1932, the then Coroner for the City of London and Southwark, Dr. F.J. Waldo, resigned, and the provisions of the Coroners' (Amendment) Act, 1926 came into force. Under this Act, the right to appoint the Coroner for Southwark passed to the London County Council, but the Corporation of London retained the right to appoint the Coroner for the City of London.

Corporation of London

In the medieval period, the office of Coroner for the City of London was executed by the King's Butler and Chamberlain, but by a charter of Edward IV dated 20 June 1478, the future appointment of the City Coroner was granted to the Corporation of London, which retains that right to this day.

The Corporation of London acquired the right to appoint the Coroner of the Borough of Southwark as well by a charter of Edward VI dated 23 April 1550, and for many years prior to 1932 the same person held the offices of Coroner of both London and Southwark. In 1932, the then Coroner for the City of London and Southwark, Dr. F.J. Waldo, resigned, and the provisions of the Coroners' (Amendment) Act, 1926 came into force. Under this Act, the right to appoint the Coroner for Southwark passed to the London County Council, but the Corporation of London retained the right to appoint the Coroner for the City of London.

Corporation of London

Southwark was granted to the citizens of London by a charter of Edward III in 1327, following a petition from the citizens because felons and thieves escaped the City into Southwark where they could not be followed. A further charter issued by Edward VI in 1550 aimed to ensure that Southwark was completely absorbed into the City by making the citizens lords of the three manors there - the Guildable Manor, the King's Manor and the Great Liberty.

On 1 July 1880 Sir Henry William Peek, MP for Mid Surrey and importer of spices, tea and other groceries conveyed East Burnham Common, Burnham Beeches and other waste lands of the Manor of Allerds to the Corporation.

The Finsbury and Halliwell Estates were leased by the Corporation of London from the Prebendary (a canon of a cathedral or collegiate church who obtained income from a prebend or estate) of St Paul's Cathedral between 1514 and 1867, at which date the Corporation was unable to renew the lease. In 1665 part of the land was set aside to create Bunhill Fields burial ground.

The Manor of Isleworth Syon was in the hands of Walter de St. Valery in 1086, having been granted to him by William the Conqueror as a reward for his support during the conquest of England. The family retained possession of the manor until 1227 when it escheated to the crown. In 1229 a full grant of the manor was made by Henry III to his brother, Richard, Earl of Cornwall, whose son Edward inherited it in 1272. In 1301, Edward's widow Margaret was assigned the manor by Edward I as part of her dower, but it reverted to the crown on her death in 1312. The manor was eventually granted for life by Edward III to his wife Queen Philippa in 1330. The reversion was included in a grant of lands to Edward, Duke of Cornwall, in 1337. In 1390 Queen Anne the wife of Richard II was given a life interest in the manor. Henry V held the manor, as Prince of Wales, but when king, separated the manor from the duchy of Cornwall by Act of Parliament in 1421 in order to bestow it upon his newly founded convent of Syon. It remained as part of the convent's possessions until the dissolution in 1539 when it fell into the hands of the Crown and was added to the Honour of Hampton Court. In 1604 James I granted the manor to Henry, Earl of Northumberland, in whose family it remained.

Corporation of London

The Royal Contract Estates were leased by King James I to trustees for Prince Charles, who, when King, caused them to be assigned to trustees for the City in satisfaction of loans made by the City. The estates were situated in many counties including Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Carmarthenshire, Caernarvonshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Cumberland, Denbighshire, Derbyshire, Devon, Dorset, County Durham, Essex, Glamorgan, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Herefordshire, Huntingdonshire, Kent, Lancashire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Merioneth, Middlesex, Monmouthshire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Northumberland, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Pembrokeshire, Rutland, Shropshire, Somerset, Staffordshire, Suffolk, Surrey, Sussex, Warwickshire, Westmorland, Wiltshire, Worcestershire and Yorkshire. Nearly all the estates were sold to pay off the King's creditors, except the Conduit Mead Estate in the Bond Street area of London.

Corporation of London

The Finsbury and Halliwell Estates were leased by the Corporation of London from the Prebendary (a canon of a cathedral or collegiate church who obtained income from a prebend or estate) of St Paul's Cathedral between 1514 and 1867, at which date the Corporation was unable to renew the lease. In 1665 part of the land was set aside to create Bunhill Fields burial ground.

Corporation of London

Southwark was granted to the citizens of London by a charter of Edward III in 1327, following a petition from the citizens because felons and thieves escaped the City into Southwark where they could not be followed. Quarter Sessions were held for the Town and Borough of Southwark on days fixed by the Recorder for the transaction of ordinary sessions business. The Lord Mayor, two Aldermen and the Recorder had to be present to hold the court. The High Bailiff and his officers were also required to attend.

Quarter Sessions were courts of limited criminal and civil jurisdiction and of appeal, held quarterly before the recorder in boroughs. They were abolished in 1972. The Recorder was a person with legal knowledge appointed by the mayor and aldermen to record the proceedings of their courts and the customs of the city, his oral statement of these being taken as the highest evidence of fact.

Corporation of London

General and Quarter Sessions were courts of limited criminal and civil jurisdiction and of appeal, held quarterly before a Justice of the Peace in counties or the recorder in boroughs. They were abolished in 1972.

The City of London Sessions were held in the Sessions House in the Old Bailey, adjoining Newgate gaol. The Lord Mayor, Aldermen, Recorder and Common Serjeant were declared to be Justices of the Peace and given the power to try felonies, trespasses and other misdemeanours.

Corporation of London

The City of London have had the right to control their own police force, anciently called 'the watch', from time immemorial. The Watch was controlled through the Watch and Ward Committee under the government of the Aldermen. Constables were appointed annually and were responsible for peace and good order. Constables were chosen from householders acting in rotation, although they often paid for a stand-in to be hired instead. Marshalmen and Night Watchmen were appointed to assist them. In 1693 an Act of Common Council was passed stating that 1000 Watchmen should be constantly on duty in the City from sunset to sunrise - this was called the 'Standing Watch'. In 1737 an Act was passed allowing the Common Council to pass an annual order settling the number of Watchmen and imposing taxes for their maintenance. This was known as the 'Nightly Watch Act'.

From around 1737 attempts were made to create an equivalent day force. For several years Extra Constables were sworn in to provide assistance to Ward Constables. In 1800 an experimental force of professional police was created to ensure policing during the day as well as at night. In 1834 the Common Council formed the Day Police Committee to send a deputation to the Court of Aldermen asking them to consider ways of providing a permanent day force. In 1838 the Common Council attempted to levy a rate to support a new combined police force for day and night, however, proposals were being put before Parliament to make the City of London part of the Metropolitan Police District. This was strongly opposed by the Corporation and in 1839 they put a Bill into Parliament which led to the 'Act for regulating the Police in the City of London'. This Act established that the Corporation should appoint a suitable person to be Commissioner of the Police Force of the City of London and that they should form a Police Committee to provide supplies for the force and maintain their buildings.

In 1911 it was decided to form Police Reserves to cope with any civil disturbances which might arise, and to avoid recourse to military assistance. Two reserves to the City Police were then formed: the first Police Reserve, consisting of pensioners from the regular police prepared to rejoin when required in time of emergency; and the second, or Special Police Reserve (later renamed the Special Constabulary), consisting of citizens of suitable age and physical fitness, who would register their names as willing to undertake to serve as special constable in the event of an emergency arising to require their services. The registered members were formed into divisions, and provisional arrangements made for calling out and swearing them in emergency arose. In 1939 the strength of the Special was 2014. Many members of the Special Constabulary undertook full time police duties during the war, temporarily becoming members of the branch of the Civil Defence organisation known as the Police War Reserve.