Born London, 28 November 1926, but spent her earliest years in Russia where her father went to work; graduated in 1948 with an External London BSc in Zoology taken at University College, Leicester; studied marine worms in the Isle of Man and was awarded her PhD from the University of Liverpool; moved, in 1952, to Royal Holloway College as Assistant Lecturer in the newly opened Zoology Department; promoted to Lecturer in 1957 and retired in 1991 as Reader in Ecology, a University of London appointment which she had held since 1976; her research was concerned with plankton living in the reservoirs situated around Staines and she supervised investigations into the fauna of the slow sand filters through which London's drinking water is purified; her data has been incorporated into increasingly refined models of how reservoir ecosystems work; pioneer in the use of echo-sounding to measure fish populations, equipment now used routinely by the Environment Agency; with a botanical colleague, she started a BSc Ecology degree at a time when only three such degrees were taught in the UK. At the time of Dr Duncan's death, she was the initiator and principal coordinator of a complex project funded by the EU which embraced numerous colleagues from three European and three SE Asian countries; worked extensively in Europe, Africa and the USA; maintained a lifelong association with socialism and eastern Europe, maintaining communications across the Iron Curtain; after her formal retirement Duncan remained active in research as Emeritus Reader in Ecology and Leader of the Hydroacoustic Unit at the Royal Holloway Institute of Environmental Research; died 3 October 2000.
William Hunter McCrea was born on 13 December 1904 in Dublin but moved to Chesterfield, Derbyshire before he was three. Here he was educated at the Central (elementary) School and the Grammar School, from which he won an entrance scholarship in Mathematics to Trinity College, Cambridge. He read for the Mathematical Tripos, becoming a Wrangler 1926, and after graduating began research with R.H. Fowler. Recognition came early with a Cambridge University Rayleigh Prize, a Trinity College Rouse Ball Senior Studentship, a Sheepshanks Exhibition and an Isaac Newton Studentship.
After spending the year 1928-1929 at Göttingen University he moved to a succession of academic appointments: Lecturer in the Mathematics Department at Edinburgh University (headed by E.T. Whittaker) in 1930, Reader at Imperial College London in 1932 and Professor of Mathematics at Queen's University Belfast in 1936. In 1943 he was given leave from Belfast to undertake Operational Research in the Admiralty in the team led by P.M.S. Blackett and in 1944 he was appointed Professor of Mathematics at Royal Holloway University of London, an appointment he took up at the end of the war. McCrea remained at Royal Holloway until 1966 when he took up his last appointment as Science Research Council supported Research Professor of Theoretical Astronomy at the recently established Sussex University. McCrea and University Professor R.J. Tayler, with the support of the Astronomer Royal R.v.d.R. Woolley and other senior Royal Greenwich Observatory staff, effectively put Sussex on the world astronomy map. McCrea's research covered many areas of mathematics, physics and astronomy, but he is probably best known for his work on relativity and cosmology.
The following brief account of some of his principal interests draws on the obituary by Robert Smith and Leon Mestel in The Observatory Magazine. McCrea was an advocate, along with E.A. Milne, of the use of a Newtonian framework to provide simple derivations of the expanding universe models of general relativity.
In the 1950s his interest in relativity led to a contentious dispute with Herbert Dingle on the famous 'twin paradox'. During the same period he was one of the few people to take seriously the steady-state theory developed by H. Bondi, T. Gold and F. Hoyle, showing how to treat the theory within the mathematical framework of general relativity, though he later accepted that the theory was ruled out by observational evidence. He had a particular interest in star formation and developed an innovative (though not widely supported) model for the origin of the solar system. He was the first to make a quantitative study of the rate of formation of hydrogen molecules on the surfaces of dust grains in space, a process crucial to many reactions in interstellar chemistry. He was quick to realise in the 1960s that the newly postulated phenomenon of mass transfer in close binaries could be used to explain the presence of 'blue stragglers' which occupied the extended main sequence of some globular clusters.
McCrea wrote some 280 scientific papers and a number of books including Relativity Physics (1935), Analytical Geometry of Three Dimensions (1942) and the less technical Physics of the Sun and Stars (1950). McCrea played a major role in British astronomy. From 1944 he spent many years on the Admiralty's Board of Visitors of the Royal Greenwich Observatory and on its Science Research Council successor. He was very actively involved in the RGO's Tercentenary celebrations (1675-1975), writing an historical review for the occasion which was published by the HMSO. In 1985 he served on a Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC) Astronomy Working Group (chairman J.F.C. Kingman) which reviewed arrangements for ground-based astronomy. McCrea strongly dissented from the subsequent decision of the SERC (announced March 1986) to move the RGO from Herstmonceux in Sussex. His work for scientific societies was extensive, including, for example, serving on key Royal Society committees with respect to astronomy and space science. However, it was his contribution to the Royal Astronomical Society that was unique, having held all four offices (President, Secretary, Treasurer and Foreign Correspondent), and serving on its Council almost continuously from 1936 to 1980. He was frequently asked to be visiting professor for long or short periods, for example at the University of California, Berkeley in 1956 and 1967 and at the Case Institute of Technology, Cleveland in 1964, and often travelled as an exchange visitor under Royal Society auspices, for example to the USSR in 1960 and 1968, India in 1976 and Egypt in 1981. He was the first British scientist to make an official visit, also under the Royal Society auspices, to Argentina after the Falklands War. As a great admirer of Georges Lemaitre, he was particularly pleased to be the first occupant of the Georges Lemaitre Chair at the University of Louvain in 1969. In his extensive overseas commitments over many years he was almost an ambassador for British astronomy. His distinction in research and services to astronomy were recognised by many honours and awards including election to the Fellowship of the Royal Society in 1952, the award of the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society in 1976 and a knighthood in 1985. In 1933 he married Marian Nicol Core who died in 1995. They had one son and two daughters. He died in Lewes, Sussex on 25 April 1999 aged 94.
Una Mary Simpson (nee Roberts), born on June 1st 1910; educated at All Saints School, Maidstone and Maidstone Grammar School; joined Royal Holloway College in 1929; began an Intermediate Arts course before graduating with a 2:II in History in 1932; Secretary of the Historical Society at Royal Holloway; held a post at Grayford Girls Central School, 1934, October 1935 sailed to Bombay to take up a position as Assistant Mistress at Queen Mary High School, Girgaum, Bombay; returned to England, October 1938; back in Bombay by October 1939.
Born 1896; educated privately and at Birkbeck College and University College London, 1913-1917; Administrative Assistant and Personnel Officer, Ministry of National Service, 1917-1918, and War Trade Intelligence Department, 1918-1919; editor of peace handbooks prepared for the Paris Peace Conference, 1918; Lecturer, Birkbeck College, University of London, 1921-1930; part-time Lecturer, East London (later Queen Mary) College, London, 1923-1925; Member of the Board of Studies in History, 1924, and Member of the Board of Examiners in History, 1926, University of London; Vice-President of the Historical Association, 1930; Professor of Modern History, Bedford College, University of London, 1930-1962; Dean of the Faculty of Arts, University of London, 1938-1944; Member of the Senate, University of London, 1940-1962; National Service, Intelligence Division, Ministry of Information, 1938-1939; Member of Commission on Higher Education in the Colonies, 1943-1945; Chairman of the Academic Council, University of London, 1945-1948; Vice-Chancellor, University of London, 1948-1951; Founder Member, 1948, and Chairman, 1953-1954, of the United States Educational Commission in the United Kingdom; DBE, 1951; Member of the Council, Salisbury College, Rhodesia, 1955; Honorary Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons, 1959; Member of the Council, 1928, Vice-President and Honorary Vice-President, 1959-1963, Royal Historical Society; Honorary degrees from Canterbury, Leeds, St Andrews, Southampton, Oxford, Sheffield, Cambridge, Belfast and Western Ontario, Canada; Emeritus Professor, 1962; retired 1962; died 1963.
Publications: assisted with British documents on the origin of the war, 1898-1914 (London, 1927); editor of Europe in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries (Longmans, London, 1940); Bibliography of modern history (London, 1922); Educational partnership in Africa and the West Indies: being a lecture on the Montague Burton Foundation in the University of Glasgow, delivered on 15th April, 1954 (Jackson and Co, Glasgow, 1955); Foreign affairs under the third Marquis of Salisbury (Athlone Press, London, 1962); History and politics (Birkbeck College, London, 1949); The Bengal administrative system, 1786-1818 (Cambridge History of the British Empire, Vol 4); The Colonial Agents of the British West Indies: a study in colonial administration, mainly in the eighteenth century (University Press, London, 1924); The colonial background of British foreign policy (Bell and Sons, London, 1930); The West Indies and the Spanish-American trade, 1713-1748; A century of diplomatic Blue Books, 1814-1914 (University Press, Cambridge, 1938); Foundations of British foreign policy (University Press, Cambridge, 1938); Short bibliography of modern European history, 1789-1935 (G Bell and Sons, London, 1936); Short bibliography of modern European history, 1709-1926 (London, 1927).
Kathleen Tillotson: born 1905; educated at Ackworth School, Yorkshire; The Mount School, York and Somerville College, Oxford; gained BLitt in 1929. Part-time assistant in English Department at Bedford College 1929-1933; became junior lecturer in 1933 and lecturer in 1937; full-time lecturer in 1939; Senior Lecturer then Reader in 1947; Hildred Carlile Professor of English Literature 1958 til retirement in 1971. Died 2001.
Geoffrey Tillotson: born 1905; educated at Glusburn Elementary School; Keighley Trade and Grammar School; Balliol College, and BLitt at Oxford. Lectured in English at College of Technology, Leicester, 1928-1929; Sub-Librarian if English Schools library in Oxford, 1930-1931; Assistant Lecturer at University College London 1931-1934; Lecturer there 1934-1940, then Assistant Principal in the Ministry of Aircraft Production, 1940-1945. Granted Readership in Absentia from University of London 1942; then Professor of English Language and Literature at Birkbeck College, 1944-1969. Visiting Professor at Harvard, 1948. Died 1969.
Born 1864; educated in Dresden, Germany, Cheltenham Ladies College, Gloucestershire, and Queen's College and Bedford College, London; travelled extensively on the continent and in the USA; member of London literary circles; actively interested in the women's' rights movement; received a civil list pension in recognition of her literary work, 1930; died 1936.
Publications: Two health-seekers in Southern California (Lippincott Co, Philadelphia, 1897) with W A Edwards; preface to Nature rambles in London (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1908); A new book of the fairies (Griffith and Farran, London, [1891]); Concerning 'Ships that pass in the night' (S.S. McClure, London, [1894]); Hilda Stafford and the Remittance Man (Blackwood and Sons, Edinburgh, 1897); In varying moods (Blackwood and Sons, Edinburgh, 1894); Interplay (Methuen and Co, London, 1908); Katherine Frensham: a novel (Blackwood and Sons, Edinburgh and London, 1903); Master Roley (F. Warne and Co, London and New York, 1889); Our warrior women (Witherby and Co, London, 1916); Out of the wreck I rise (Thomas Nelson and Sons, London, 1912); Patuffa (Hodder and Stoughton, London, [1923]); Rachel (Hodder and Stoughton, London, [1926]); Search will find it out (Mills and Boon, London, 1928); Ships that pass in the night (Lawrence and Bullen, London, 1893); Spring shall plant (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1920); The fowler (Blackwood and Sons, Edinburgh, 1899); The guiding thread (Methuen and Co, London, 1916); The scholar's daughter (Methuen and Co, London, 1906); Things will take a turn (Blackie and Son, London, [1889]); Thirteen all told (Methuen and Co, London, 1921); Untold tales of the past (Blackwood and Sons, Edinburgh and London, 1897); Where your treasure is (Hutchinson and Co, London, 1918); Youth calling (Hodder and Stoughton, London, [1924]).
Caroline Spurgeon was born in India on 24 October 1869, the daughter of Christopher Spurgeon, a Captain in the 36th Foot, and Caroline Dunsmuir (according to the record of her baptism in the India Office births, marriages and deaths records, Vol. 130 folio 65). Her mother died giving birth to her (see letter of 1 May 1910 in PP7/1/2), and her father appears to have married again, but himself died in 1874. She was educated at Cheltenham, Gloucestershire; Dresden, Germany; and King's College and University College, London; Quain Essayist and Morley Medallist, University College London, 1898; First Class Final Honours in English, Oxford University, 1899. For Michaelmas Term 1899, she acted as assistant to Miss Lee, Tutor and Lecturer to the Association for the Education of Women, but then for family reasons had to give up work for some months. From May 1900 she was lecturing in London: she was appointed Lecturer in English Literature under the London School Board, giving weekly lectures in the Evening Continuation Schools at South Hackney, and on Shakespeare in Welwyn, Hertfordshire. She was appointed to the staff of Bedford College, University of London, in 1901: Assistant Lecturer in English, 1901-1906, Lecturer in English Literature, 1906-1913, and Hildred Carlile Professor of English Literature (and Head of Department), 1913-1929. She was made Emeritus Professor of English Literature in 1929. In 1911 she was awarded a doctorate of the University of Paris for her thesis 'Chaucer devant la critique', and in 1929 she was made D. Lit. of the University of London for her '500 years of Chaucer criticism and allusion'. She was awarded a Research Fellowship by the Federation of University Women, 1912, and was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature in 1916. She was a member of the British Educational Mission to America in 1918, on which she met Virginia Gildersleeve, Dean of Barnard College, Columbia University, New York, USA, with whom she lived during the summer vacations, either in England or in the USA, for the rest of her life. She was Visiting Professor at Columbia University, 1920-1921, first President of the International Federation of University Women, 1920-1924, and member of the Departmental Committee to inquire into the position of English in the Educational System of England, 1929-1931. She settled in 1936 in Tucson, Arizona, USA, in the hope of relieving her arthritis, and she died there on 24 October 1942. Publications include: 'The works of Dr. Samuel Johnson' (H.K.Lewis, London, 1898); 'Richard Brathwait's comments in 1665, upon Chaucer's Tales of the Miller and the Wife of Bath' (ed.) (London, 1901); preface to an edition of 'The Castle of Otranto' by Horace Walpole (Chatto & Windus, 1907); 'Chaucer devant la critique en Angleterre et en France depuis son temps jusqu'à nos jours' (Paris, 1911); 'William Law and the mystics' in the Cambridge History of English Literature (1912); 'Mysticism in English literature' (Cambridge University Press, 1913); 'The privilege of living in war-time: an inaugural address to King's College for Women' (University of London Press, London, 1914); 'Five hundred years of Chaucer criticism and allusion, 1357-1900' (Chaucer Society, 1914-1922, Cambridge University Press, 1925); 'The training of the combatant: an address delivered for the Fight for Right movement' (Dent and Sons, London, 1916); 'Poetry in the light of war' (English Association, London, 1917); 'The refashioning of English education: a lesson of the Great War' (Atlantic Monthly, Jan. 1922); Essay on Jane Austen in 'Essays by Divers Hands' (Transactions of the Royal Society of Literature) Vol VII (Humphrey Milford, London, 1928); 'Essays and studies by Members of the English Association' (ed.) (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1928); 'Keats's Shakespeare: a descriptive study based on new material' (Humphrey Milford, London, 1928); 'Imagery in the Sir Thomas More fragment' (Review of English Studies, Vol VI, No 23, July 1930); 'Leading motives in the imagery of Shakespeare's tragedies' (London, 1930); 'Shakespeare's iterative imagery, i, as undersong, ii, as touchstone, in his work' (London, [1931]); 'Shakespeare's imagery and what it tells us' (Cambridge University Press, 1935)
The Wells were a prosperous farming family, who lived in Farnborough, Hampshire, in the late 19th century. Family members included Sarah E Wells, and her children, Edward, William, John Percy, Gretchen (Grace), Edith and Frank, the last named dying in southern Africa in 1896. Edward Wells was a chartered accountant in London, working in the Enemy Debts Department of the Treasury in the years following World War One.
Born 1879; educated Wallasey Grammar School, the Wirral, University College, Liverpool, Victoria University, Manchester, and Balliol College, Oxford University; Assistant Lecturer in Latin and Classics, Liverpool University, 1903-1908; Reader in Greek, 1908-1928, and Professor of Greek, 1928-1936, Bedford College, University of London; Head of Greek Department, Bedford College, 1908-1936; died 1936.
Publications: translation of The birds and the frogs by Aristophanes (E. Arnold and Co, London, 1927); editor of The olynthiac speeches of Demosthenes (University Press, Cambridge, 1915); Leaves of Hellas: essays on some aspects of Greek literature (E. Arnold and Co, London, 1926); Studies and diversions in Greek literature (E. Arnold and Co, London, 1937); introduction and notes for an edition of Ion by Plato (1912).
Elizabeth Jesser Sturch was born on 25 December 1789 in London, daughter of William Sturch, a wealthy Unitarian ironmonger. In 1821 she married John Reid, M.D., author of 'Essay on hypochondriasis and other nervous affections' (1816). His father and brother had been hosiers in Leicester, but the family's roots appear to have been in Scotland, and Dr Reid had inherited land on the River Clyde at Glasgow which had become extremely valuable as the port grew in size. His death in July 1822 gave Mrs Reid an independent income with which she patronised various philanthropic causes. Active in liberal Unitarian circles, she was an anti-slavery activist, attending the World's Anti-Slavery Convention in London in 1840 and taking a close interest in the American Civil War (1860-1865), and was in contact with leading figures in the revolutions in France and Germany in 1848, and the struggles for Italian independence. In 1849 she founded the 'Ladies College' in Bedford Square, London, which became Bedford College for Women. She died on 1st April 1866.
Born 1886; educated Notting Hill High School, London; won Entrance Scholarship to Royal Holloway College, 1906, where she gained a BSc Hons in Mathematics in 1909; Mistress, Wimbledon High School, London, 1909-1910; Mistress, Maida Vale School, London, 1910-[1914]; Private Mistress in Sedburgh, Yorkshire, [1914-1917]; Assistant Mistress, St Sampsons Elementary School, Guernsey, 1918; Assistant Mistress, Twickenham Girls' School, 1918-[1927]; died, 1929.
Thomas Holloway (1800-1883) was a highly successful pill and ointment manufacturer, who pioneered the use of product advertising. He married Jane Driver in 1840, and together they built up a large and prosperous business. Having no descendants, Holloway decided to use his fortune for philanthropic causes, and was encouraged by his wife to found a college for the higher education of women. He purchased the Mount Lee estate in Egham in 1874, and building commenced on a large scale - Holloway and his architect William Henry Crossland wanted to recreate the gothic style of the Chateau of Chambord. Jane Holloway died in 1875, and the project became a memorial to her, though Holloway left the overseeing of the building work to his brother-in-law, George Martin. Thomas Holloway died before either project was completed, but not before the composition of a Royal Holloway College Foundation Deed (Oct 1883), which assigned the management and government of the College to twelve Governors, including the three Trustees of the College Estate, appointed by Holloway. He also left a large sum of money with which to endow the College. The College was officially opened by Queen Victoria on June 30th 1886.
The College opened in 1887 with twenty-eight students. By 1890 numbers had doubled and between 1920 and 1946 there was an average of just under two hundred students a session.
When Royal Holloway was founded London University was not yet a teaching university, but women as well as men were eligible for its degrees and the foundation deed of the College allowed the students to take degrees either at London or at any other university in the United Kingdom which would admit them to degrees or to degree examinations. In 1897 the Governors of Royal Holloway College called a conference to discuss whether the College should become an independent university, part of a larger university for women or part of the proposed teaching university for London. In the event it became a School of London University and had direct representation on the Senate, but owing to the fact that it lay outside the geographical boundaries established for the University, its inclusion had to be effected by a special act of Parliament. Following the reform of the University of London's constitution in 1926, Royal Holloway College was excluded from the Committee's first list of schools which were given direct representation on the Senate and the proposed Collegiate Council and the Governors felt obliged to protest in order to have the proposals changed. The position of the College in London University was then finally established although it has frequently been criticised as being too remote from the centre of things.
The life of the College was very much disrupted by the Second World War. On the outbreak of the War London University's administrative staff were displaced from Bloomsbury by the Ministry of Information and were installed at Royal Holloway College where they occupied the Picture Gallery and about one and a half corridors on the west side of Founder's Building. They stayed until 1941 when the War Office requisitioned the entire east side of the building for an ATS unit and the University was removed to Richmond. The College staff and students were then confined to the West side and to the North and South Towers for teaching and living accomodation and all the students, as well as many of the staff, were allocated a single study/bedroom in place of the two rooms provided for in the foundation deed. In 1943 the Governors appointed a Post-War Policy Committee to discuss the question of how the College should develop after the War. The Committee interviewed a large number of external witnesses, as well as representatives of the staff and students of the College and of Royal Holloway College Association. Its fundamental recommendations were that access to London should be made easier for the students and that the College should expand and become co-educational. Stemming from these it made further recommendations on staffing and finance. Lack of funds and building restrictions made it impossible for these recommendations to be implemented at once. Men were admitted in 1946 as non-resident post-graduate students and the number of undergraduates was increased by retaining the war-time arrangement of allocating each student one room instead of two. Numbers rose from 191 at the end of the Summer term of 1946 to 270 in the Autumn and then increased more steadily to 390 in 1962. In 1964 it became possible to embark on plans for expansion so as to admit men as undergraduates in 1965 and to increase the number of students to one thousand. This involved providing extra teaching and residential accomodation, first of all in converted houses in the neighbourhood of the College and more recently in new buildings on the main College estate. It also involved an increase in staff, a re-organisation of administrative work and radical changes in the size and functions of the Student's Union.
Royal Holloway College merged with Bedford College in 1985, and the joint institution became known as the Royal Holloway and Bedford New College.
The Staff Meeting was established in 1889 in order to discuss matters relating to teaching in the College. It originally discussed and settled the work of each student individually but this became impossible as student numbers increased. It also considered examinations and scholarships but had no power in policy-making. Meetings were usually held at least once a term, although sometimes they met more than this and sometimes less. The meeting consisted of the Principal and between 8-12 members of the Academic staff. In 1912 the Governors constituted the Academic Board which took over the functions of the Staff Meeting. It was to be composed of the Principal and senior members of staff and was to meet at least once a term. The Academic Board had the power to make recommendations to the Governors on all academic matters but did not have any executive duties. The Royal Holloway College Act (1949) stated that the Board should contain the Principal (as Chairman), all Professors of the University of London who taught at the College, and Heads of Department. It was able to regulate its own procedures and the conduct of its business, and was (with the approval of the Council) able to make standing orders for that purpose.
Faculty meetings were introduced in 1897 to decide courses of study for students, matters relating to timetables and the syllabus, and recommendations for prizes and scholarships. Initially the Faculties met monthly, though this was later reduced to three times a year. The Principal acted as the Chair of all Faculty meetings. After 1937, the Arts and Science Tutors, whose role it was to advise students in connection with their courses of study and timetable, were selected at their respective Faculty meetings. All the Faculties elected the Dean, whose duties were more concerned with the social aspects of student life.
The Foundation Deed of Royal Holloway College laid down that the Principal should be an unmarried woman or childless widow, a stipulation which was adhered to until the Royal Holloway College Act of 1962. The Principal had responsibility for the entire internal management and discipline of the College (subject to the approval of the Council). Her department's administrative responsibilities therefore included student welfare and discipline, examinations, Chapel services and general administration of the Household staff. Miss E M Guinness acted as Vice-Principal from 1899-1908, entailing the transfer of her Library duties to the Principal's Department, though she was eventually replaced by an administrative assistant. The assistant's duties, already reduced by the appointment of a full-time librarian in 1935, were divided after 1937 between the Principal's Secretary and a Tutor. The latter became responsible for discipline and student welfare, while the Principal's Secretary, who was also given the title of Registrar, became responsible for student records and examinations. In 1944, with the creation of a separate Registry, the post became known as the Principal's Private Secretary. The post of Tutor, initially an experimental one, proved a success and by 1946 there were two Tutors and a Dean. The post of Vice-Principal was reinstituted in 1946, to be filled by a member of academic staff.
The Principal maintained close contact with the administrative staff, seeing the College Secretary, the Housekeeper, the Nurse and the Caretaker every morning, the Butler and the Gardener twice a week, and the Cook, Engineer and Nightwatchman when necessary. This system remained in place until the growth of the College in the 1960s.
The Principal's Secretary, who was responsible for student records and examinations, initially undertook the work of the registrar. In 1944, a new Registrar's Department was created to deal with the clerical work and official correspondence of the College.
The Secretary acted as the administrative officer of the Governors. Responsibilities of the post included dealing with the College accounts, the ordering of supplies and the maintenance of College buildings and property, as well as taking minutes of meetings and preparing official correspondence. On the death of the first Secretary of the Governors, Mr J L Clifford-Smith, in 1898, the decision was taken that in future a woman should fill the post. The appointment of Dorothy Hustler in 1948 led to the reorganisation of the College accounts, and she was also responsible for ongoing negotiations for the purchase of surrounding properties, in order to facilitate the expansion of the College in the 1950s. 1969 saw the establishment of a separate Accounts Department. Titled the Secretary to the Governors until 1949, the postholder then became known as the College Secretary.
The financial affairs of Royal Holloway College were administered by the College Secretary until 1969-1970, when a separate Accounts Department was instituted.
The art collection housed in the Picture Gallery at Royal Holloway College was based on the similar model at Vassar College in America. Thomas Holloway compiled the collection through purchases at auction from 1881-1883, when he bought at every Christie's sale of note. Although the initial plan was to obtain modern British paintings, examples of work by European painters were also acquired. The collection totalled 77 pictures at the time of Holloway's death in 1883. Charles W Carey was appointed to act as Curator of the Picture Gallery, a task he undertook from 1887 until his death in 1943.
His main role was to supervise the conservation of the pictures, compile the catalogue, show the collection to visitors, and correspond with artists, art historians and students concerning the works.
The various residence officers were responsible to the Principal, whom they met with on a regular basis. The Principal saw the Housekeeper, Nurse and Caretaker every morning, the Butler and the Gardener twice a week, and the Cook, Engineer and Nightwatchman when necessary. With the growth of the College in the 1960s, the numbers of residence staff increased, and such direct contact was no longer possible, though reports were still made to the Principal.
A Domestic Bursar replaced the Lady Housekeeper in 1944, and was in turn replaced by a Catering Officer (1965). A Security Officer took over the role of the Nightwatchman about the same time.
The recreations and to some extent the social lives of staff and students, were organised until 1925 through the College Meeting. This was a staff/student committee, which first met in July 1890 to consider proposals for enabling former members of the College to keep in touch with its resident members. These proposals led to the formation of the Royal Holloway College Association, but the College Meeting itself was found to be a useful forum for the discussion of College affairs, and was made permanent. It met at least once a term and was composed of the Principal and an allocated number of staff and students. Its main responsibility was the Theoric Fund from which allocations were made for Chard, the various sports clubs, and a limited number of other purposes.
In 1925 it was decided that the business conducted by the College Meeting could instead be conducted by the Union and it was therefore disbanded. Committees formed under the College Meeting became Committees of the Union.
In 1966, the College Committee was formed as a joint staff-student body, which met once or twice a term to discuss matters of mutual interest.
The Students' Meeting was the recognised channel of communication between the Principal, the administrative and domestic staff, and the students on matters affecting student welfare, discipline and domestic problems. The Senior Student (nominated by the Principal from the fourth and fifth year students, and elected by the whole student body) presided over a hierarchy of First, Second and Third Year Meetings, which reported to the main Students' Meeting, where messages were received from the Principal and other members of staff.
In 1923, the Student's Meeting reformed as the Royal Holloway College Union Society and became affiliated to the National Union of Students. In 1925 it took over the responsibilities and functions of the College Meeting, which included the administration of funds for various College societies and committees.
By 1966, the provision of a Student's Union building on the Royal Holloway Campus resulted in a bar and a shop for students. By 1968, Union activities had become increasingly demanding, leading to the creation of the first full-time President in 1969-1970. In the same year, the President and another student representative (elected by the main body of students) were given a place on the College Council.
The College Letter was founded in 1890 for circulation to members of the Royal Holloway College Association. It reported on the activities of the clubs and societies of the College. Alongside this ran Erinna, an annual literary magazine, which included contributions from staff and students alike. The Letter was replaced in 1957 by Caviare.
A weekly College newspaper called Château was founded in 1968. This replaced Mr Gillie (also known as the Wall Newspaper) which had begun life as a sheet on the College noticeboard reporting on sporting and social events, and had circulated briefly as a news sheet from 1966-1967.
The number of student societies and clubs increased rapidly as student numbers rose during the 1890s. These groups, each with their own President and Committee, had high staff participation, mainly due to the residential nature of the teaching posts. Examples of the earliest societies are CHARD, the Royal Holloway College Dramatic Association (founded 1887); musical groups, including the Choir, the Band, and the Choral Society; departmental societies such as the Art History Society, at which various staff gave lectures; political and debating clubs; religious societies; and charitable organisations. Sports societies organised matches and other activities in the afternoons.
The societies and clubs were organised firstly by the College Meeting (1890-1925), which controlled the Theoric Fund from which allocations were made for Chard, the various sports clubs, and other purposes such as the College Albums Committee. The role of the College Meeting was superseded on the creation of the Royal Holloway College Union Society in 1923, which took over its responsibilities in 1925. Each Society seems to have kept its own minutes and financial records.
The Royal Holloway College Association was formed as a result of the first College Meeting (held in July 1890). The purpose of the Association was to enable former students and staff to keep in touch with the activities of the College and its present students. Current students and staff at the College were automatically made honorary members of the Association, which met once a year.
A Committee, consisting of the Principal and a number of members and representatives of honorary members of the RHCA, met al least once a term to discuss matters relating to the RHCA.
The College Letter, founded in 1890, contained news about the College and was issued twice a year to all members of the RHCA. A separate College Letter Committee was formed to deal with this. In 1970, a new body known as RHESUS (Royal Holloway Ex-Students Union Society) was formed as an alternative alumni association to counter the elderly membership of the RHCA. The two groups merged in 1984, retaining the original name.
The Deed of Foundation for the College (October 1883) assigned the management and government of the College to twelve Governors, including the three Trustees of the College Estate appointed by the Founder, Thomas Holloway. The Board of Governors was to contain five Representative Governors, one appointed by the Lord President of the Council (or Head of the Education Department of the Government), one by the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Senate of the University of London, one by the Court of Aldermen of the City of London, one by the Corporation of Windsor, and one by the Corporation of Reading. The remaining four Governors were to be co-optative and elected by the rest of the Governors. Each Governor was appointed for the term of seven years and was then eligible for re-election. The Governors were given the power to elect all future Trustees of the College and to remove Trustees from office. Governors could resign at any time and would cease to hold the office in cases of bankruptcy, insolvency, or absence from meetings for a stated amount of time. They could be removed from office by the votes of a majority of the Governors. Each vacancy was to be filled by the body which had nominated the retiring or deceased Governor.
The Governors held monthly meetings at the College during the academic terms. A Chairman was to be elected by a majority. The Board of Governors was given responsibility for the entire management of the College. As stated in the Deed of Foundation, this included the appointment and remuneration of the Principal and Professors, and all the teachers, officers and servants; the overseeing of the purchase of all food and other articles and things requisite in the conduct and management of the College; the framing of the curriculum and general regulations of the College, the College terms, the fees payable by students, the mode and system of examinations and of registering and awarding results; and the distribution of the Founders Scholarships and other prizes and awards. They also had the power to make and publish bylaws for the general management of the College and the terms of service of staff members. The Secretary to the Governors carried out the day-to-day administrative responsibilities of the Governors.
The Foundation Deed stated that women could not be Governors, and this was not changed until the Governors executed a Deed Poll in 1912. This provided that two of the co-optative Governors should be women, and at the same time extended the number of Governors to 19. The Principal and two other staff members were also invited to attend Governors Meetings after this point. In 1920 the Foundation Deed was amended to provide for the appointment of the Principal as an ex-officio Governor, and for two other staff Governors (who should be members of the Academic Board).
In 1949, the College Council replaced the Board of Governors as a result of the Royal Holloway College Act. The Council was to consist of 22 members, namely a Chairman, the Principal, six Co-Opted Members, and fourteen Representative Members elected by the Lord President of the Privy Council (1), the Senate of the University of London (2), the Court of Aldermen of the City of London (1), the Minister of Education (2), the Hebdomadal Council of the University of Oxford (1), the Council of the Senate of the University of Cambridge (1), the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the borough of Windsor (1), the Academic Board (4), and the Royal Holloway College Association (RHCA) (1). Women were appointed on the same condition as men. All representative or co-opted members were to hold office for five years at the end of which they were to be eligible for re-appointment. The representatives of the Academic Board, however, were to be appointed annually but were also eligible for re-appointment.
The Council was responsible for the management, control and administration of all property and income of the College, and for the government of the affairs of the College. Subject to various legal safeguards and the approval of the University, the Council was empowered to make new Statutes for the College. Among its specified powers were the rights to admit men as non-resident postgraduate students and to change or add to the curriculum. From 1949, the Secretary to the Governors became the College Secretary. In 1970, student representatives, one being the President of the Union, were allowed to sit on the Council.
Thomas Holloway (1800-1883) was a highly successful pill and ointment manufacturer, who pioneered the use of product advertising. He married Jane Driver in 1840, and together they built up a large and prosperous business. Having no descendants, Holloway decided to use his fortune for philanthropic causes, and was encouraged by Lord Shaftesbury to found a mental hospital and by his wife to found a college for the higher education of women. This resulted in the Holloway Sanatorium (opened 1885) and Royal Holloway College (opened 1886), the latter serving as a memorial to Jane Holloway, who died in 1875. Thomas Holloway died before either project was completed, but not before the composition of a Royal Holloway College Foundation Deed. He left a large sum of money with which to endow the College.
The Trustees were three men who were given control of the College estate, property and picture collection. The first Trustees were appointed by Thomas Holloway in 1876 and were thereafter appointed by the Board of Governors as and when a new vacancy arose. The Trustees themselves also served as Governors.
In 1949, the Royal Holloway College Act altered the way in which the College was governed and as a result, responsibility for the estate and College property was transferred to the Council. The role of Trustee was thereafter terminated.
The various Committees were created by the Board of Governors/the Council. Standing Committees included the Library Committee, the Garden Committee and the Finance Committee. Other ad hoc committees were created according to need.
Photographs collected throughout the history of Royal Holloway College.
Various unofficial records collated by members of Royal Holloway College on an ad-hoc basis.
Sue Cullinan was born in South Africa in 1956. She worked as a journalist and researcher in South Africa until 1985. In 1985 she went to Namibia to help launch the Namibian newspaper in Windhoek, Namibia. The newspaper was launched with the intent to be: "an independent newspaper committed to independence for Namibia. The newspaper will follow an independent editorial policy and will strive to achieve a greater flow of information and open debate...". While in Namibia, Sue Cullinan also pursued research for a Master's degree on the South West African People's Organisation (SWAPO). This was based partially on primary interviews with people involved in the organisation. Her studies were broken abruptly (and not completed) when her fiancé was expelled from South Africa in 1987 by the government of PW Botha. Sue Cullinan lived in a number of cities in Africa and Europe and continued to work as journalist.
Arthur Reginald Hewitt was born in 1907 and was first Secretary/Librarian of the Institute of Commonwealth Studies. The proposal for a classfied catalogue of British Official Publications was not carried out, as there was no demand.
William Newmarch was born in Thirsk, Yorkshire, on 28 January, 1820, and was a self-educated man. He began employment as a clerk with a distributor of stamps but then moved to the Yorkshire Fire and Life Office and thence to Messrs. Leathams' banking house. Following his early marriage, in 1846 he moved to London and worked on the Morning Chronicle as well as in the management of Agra Bank. Here his knowledge of banking and business brought him into contact with the leading economists and businessmen in the City including Thomas Tooke who supported Newmarch's successful application to become a Fellow of the Statistical Society in 1847. Four years later, in 1851, he became Secretary to the Globe Insurance Company and began work with Tooke on preparing volumes 5 and 6 of the History of Prices. These were published in 1857 and quickly became classics, generally acknowledged as a continuation and development of Tooke's work rather than a simple collaboration. In 1857 he gave evidence in committee on the Bank Acts and in 1861he received the unusual honour for a businessman of being elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in recognition of his achievements. The following year he became the first manager of Glyn, Mills & Co. bank where he remained until his retirement in 1881 following a stroke. Glynn, Mills & Co. provided banking facilities for more than 200 of the new railway companies as well as handling the important Canadian financial agency and Newmarch became a director of the Grand Trunk Railway Company of Canada. Throughout his career Newmarch was a journalist contributing articles to magazines and newspapers including the Economist, the Statist, and the Times, especially on prices, the gold supply and the movement of money. With the RSS he was Secretary from 1854 to 1861, Editor of the Journal, 1852-1862, Vice-President in 1863, and from 1871 to 1881, as well as President between 1869 and 1871 and a contributor of numerous articles to the Society's Journal. He was also a member and Secretary of the Political Economy Club, founder of the Adam Smith Club and a prime mover in establishing the Tooke Professorship at King's College London. He died at Torquay, Devon, on 23 March, 1882, and was commemorated by the establishment of the Society's Newmarch Memorial Essay and by the Newmarch Professorship of Economic Science at University College London. Publications: The New Supplies of Gold (1853); Pitt's Financial Operations (1855); A History of Prices and of the State of the Circulation during the Nine Years 1848-56 (1857).
Egon Sharpe Pearson was born in Hampstead, London, in 1895, the middle child of Karl Pearson and his wife Maria Sharpe. He was educated at Winchester College and Cambridge University, graduating in 1920 and joined his father's Department of Applied Statistics at University College London in 1921 becoming assistant editor of Biometrika, the statistical journal co-founded by Karl Pearson, in 1924. In 1933 Pearson succeeded his father as Head of Department at UCL; three years later, when Karl Pearson died, he also became Managing Editor of Biometrika.
In 1930, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society (RSS). During a visit to the USA in 1931, Pearson met Walter Shewart of the Bell Telephone Laboratory with whom he discussed quality control in industry. The following year he presented a paper to the RSS on industrial applications of statistics which led directly to the formation of the Industrial and Agricultural Research Section (IARS) of the Society. He was on the Council of the RSS from 1934 to 1951, serving as Vice-President in 1945/6 and again in 1947/8 and was elected President for 1955-1957.
He married in 1934 and had two children; his wife died in 1949. Pearson died in 1980.
Langford Price, born 1862; educated at Oxford Universty; Lecturer for the Toynbee Trust in Newcastle and Cornwall; Lecturer (1908) and Reader (1921) in Economic History, Oxford University; Fellow, 1887-1950, and member of Council, of Royal Statistical Society; Hon. Secretary of Economic Society from beginning in 1890; Secretary, Economic Science and Statistics Section, British Association; Member of International Statistical Institute.
Publications: A Short Historyof Political Economy in England, 15 editions, 1891-1937; Money and its Relation to Prices, 3 editions, 1896-1929.
Henry William Macrosty was born on the Isle of Arran on 14th January, 1865, the eldest of 10 children. In 1881 he obtained University of London BA whilst working in the Civil Service where he was given a permanent appointment in the Exchequer and Audit Department in 1884. He transferred to the newly established Census of Production Office within the Board of Trade in 1907 and became its Assistant Director in 1911. Reorganisation in 1919 resulted in the establishment of a Statistical Department of which Macrosty was appointed Senior Principal. His work for the next 20 years, until his retirement in 1930, was concentrated on gathering statistical information on trade and industry. In retirement he continued to be consulted on statistical issues relevant to trade and industry, including serving on at least one committee for Political and Economic Planning (PEP), one of the forerunners of the Policy Studies Institute.
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society in 1904 and served on its Council from 1917 to 1920 and again from 1925 to 1940 when he became President having served as Honorary Secretary since 1928. He was awarded the Society’s silver Guy Medal in 1927. Macrosty married Edith Julia Bain in 1894 and had two surviving children; he died on 19th January, 1941.
Publications: The Trust Movement in British Industry, 1909; The Annals of the Royal Statistical Society, 1834-1934, 1934.
The Society was founded in London in 1834 and incorporated by royal charter in 1887. The founding aims were " the collection and classification of all facts illustrative of the present condition and prospects of Society, especially as it exists in the British Dominions". The founders included Charles Babbage and T.R. Malthus and members of the Society were, and are, known as Fellows. From the beginning there has been no bar on women as either Fellows or guests at meetings. Through its Fellows, the Society has always had close connections with Government as well as with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the London School of Economics. The new Society organised itself into a number of Committees to investigate the several branches of statistics and compile new and reliable data. Very soon it became clear that this broad approach and imposed structure could not be maintained and in 1837 the Committee on the practical working of the Society reported almost total failure of the Committee structure as established with only the Medical Committee still in existence. In future Committees would be established on an ad hoc basis as required by Fellows or following requests to the Society. An initial aim of the Society had been to establish and develop a Library of statistical works and the demise of the committee structure led to the decision to concentrate on building up the Library. The other principle activities of the Society were the publication of a Journal and the holding of monthly meetings at which papers were delivered and discussed by Fellows and their guests. A continuing concern of the Society has been the development of an efficient census system. The Society's activities began to expand in the 20th century with the establishment of the Industrial and Agricultural Research Section. In 1993 the Institute of Statisticians, founded in 1948 as a professional and examining body for statisticians, was merged with the Society. Today the Society is the main professional and learned society for statisticians which awards professional status, validates university courses and runs examinations world-wide. The Society has had a variety of London addresses. It was originally based in offices at Royal Society of Literature, moved to 11 Regent Street in 1843 and within 2 years to offices on the ground floor of the London Library. The next move, in 1874, was to share offices with the Institute of Actuaries in the Principal's House at King's College. Ten years later the Society moved to a more permanent home at 9 Adelphi Terrace where it remained until moving to 4 Portugal Street in 1936, then in 1954 to 21 Bentinck Street, to 25 Enford Street in 1975, and finally to its present premises in Errol Street in 1995.
Born, 1907; educated at Marlborough College; studied mathematics and modern languages at Trinity College Cambridge, forming close friendships with Guy Burgess, Donald Maclean, H A R `Kim' Philby; Fellow of Trinity College Cambridge, 1932-1937; invited to lecture at the Courtauld Institute by the director, W G Constable, on submission of his MA thesis, 1932; joined the staff of the Warburg Institute, 1937-1939; recruited by Guy Burgess into the Russian secret intelligence service; Reader in History of Art at London University; worked for MI5, and as an enemy agent for the Soviet Union, 1940-1945; Deputy Director, 1939-1947 and Director, 1947-1974, Courtauld Institute; Surveyor of the King's (later Queen's) Pictures, 1945-1972; knighted, 1956; unmasked as a spy by the FBI and secretly confessed, 1964; honorary fellowship Trinity College Cambridge, 1967; Adviser for the Queen's Pictures and Drawings, 1972-1978; researched and published on a wide range of topics, his special subject being Nicolas Poussin; publicly confirmed as a spy by the Prime Minister, knighthood and honorary fellowship annulled, 1979; died, 1983.
Publications: include: Artistic Theory in Italy 1450 to 1600 (Oxford University Press, 1940); François Mansart and the origins of French classical architecture (Warburg Institute, London, 1941); The French drawings in the collection of His Majesty the King at Windsor Castle (Phaidon Press, 1945); The Nation's Pictures: a guide to the chief national and municipal picture galleries of England, Scotland and Wales joint editor with Margaret Whinney (Chatto & Windus, 1950); Art and Architecture in France 1500 to 1700 (Penguin, 1953); The Drawings of G.B. Castiglione and Stephano Della Bella in the collection of Her Majesty the Queen at Windsor Castle (Phaidon Press, 1954); Venetian Drawings of the XVII and XVIII centuries in the collection of Her Majesty the Queen at Windsor Castle with Edward Croft-Murray (Phaidon Press, 1957); Philibert de l'Orme (Zwemmer, 1958); The Art of William Blake (Columbia University Press, 1959); Picasso, the formative years: a study of his sources with Phoebe Pool (Studio Books, London, 1962); Nicolas Poussin. Lettres et propos sur l'art. Textes réunis et presentes par Anthony Blunt (Hermann, Paris, [1964]); Picasso's "Guernica" (Oxford University Press, 1966); The paintings of Nicolas Poussin (London, Phaidon, [1966]); Nicolas Poussin with plates and illustrations 2 vol (Phaidon Press, London; Bollingen Series, New York, [1967]); The James A de Rothschild Collection at Waddesdon Manor General editor [A catalogue] (Fribourg, Aylesbury printed, 1967-); Sicilian Baroque (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1968); Neapolitan Baroque and Rococo Architecture (Zwemmer, [1975]); Baroque and Rococo: Architecture and Decoration (Elek, 1978); Borromini (Allen Lane, London, 1979); The Drawings of Poussin (Yale University Press, 1979); Guide to Baroque Rome (Granada, London, 1982); Paul Fréart de Chantelou: Diary of the cavaliere Bernini's visit to France editor (Princeton University Press, 1985).
Born, Bridport, 1868; educated at Cheltenham College, Royal Military Academy, Woolwich; joined the Royal Artillery 1888; served in China, earning high commendation from the War Office, 1889-1890; Professor of Strategy and Tactics, Royal Military College, Kingston, Canada, 1893-1898; organised Military Survey of the Canadian Frontier, 1894-1896; appointed British military attaché with the US Army during the Spanish-American war, 1898; honorary member of Roosevelt's Rough Riders, and became a close friend of Theodore Roosevelt; military attaché in Washington, USA, 1899; returned to England and retired from the army, 1900; Conservative MP for Fareham, Hampshire, 1900-1918; joined the Board of Admiralty as a civil lord, 1903-1905; introduced and promoted the White Slave Traffic Act through Parliament, 1912; rejoined the army as a colonel on the staff, 1914; detailed for special service with the Expeditionary Forces and mentioned in despatches twice; Parliamentary Military Secretary, Ministry of Munitions, 1915-1916; knighted, 1916 (KCB); Personal Military Secretary to the Secretary of State for War (Lloyd George), 1916; Director-General of Food Production, 1917-1918, in recognition of his work made Baron Lee of Fareham; Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries, 1919-1921; First Lord of the Admiralty, 1921-1922; British Delegate to the Washington Conference on reduction and limitation of arms, 1921-1922; Viscount, 1922; presided over three Royal Commissions, the Civil Service in India, 1923-1924, London Cross-River Traffic, 1926, and Police Powers and Procedure, 1928; Chairman of the Radium Commission and Trustee of the National Radium Fund 1929-1933; President of Cheltenham College, 1917-1940; Trustee of the Wallace Collection, 1924; Trustee of the National Gallery, 1926-1933, 1941-1947 (chairman 1931 and 1932); member of the Royal Fine Art Commission, 1926 and Deputy Chairman, 1940; member, Executive Committee of National Art Collections Fund; Chairman, Management Committee of the Courtauld Institute of Art, 1932-1937; Chairman, Warburg Library and Institute, 1933-1945; restored and furnished the Chequers Estate, which he gave to the Nation, 1921; bequeathed his art collection to the Courtauld Institute of Art; died, Gloucestershire, 1947.
Publications: The English Heritage Series joint editor (Longmans & Co, London, 1929-)
Born in London, 1866; educated at the City of London College, and King's College London; studied art at the Lambeth School of Art and in Paris; worked for the Graphic and Illustrated London News, and as art critic for several papers including the Manchester Guardian and the Saturday Review; commissioned by the Trustees of the National Gallery to complete the arrangement and inventory of the Turner bequest, begun by John Ruskin, 1905; brought to light a large number of unknown paintings by Turner, which led to their exhibition at the Tate, 1906, and the building of the new Turner Gallery by Sir Joseph Duveen; founded the Walpole Society, to encourage the study and promotion of British art, 1911; Honorary Secretary and Editor of the Walpole Society, 1911-1922; Art Adviser to the Board of Inland Revenue for picture valuations, 1914-1919; Lecturer on the History of Painting to the Education Committee of London County Council, and the University of London; died 1939.
Publications: The English Water Colour Painters (1906); Drawings of David Cox (George Newnes, London, Charles Schribner's Sons, New York, [1906]); A Complete Inventory of the Drawings of the Turner Bequest 2 vols, (Stationery Office, London, 1909); Ingres (1910); The Turner Drawings in the National Gallery, London (no publication details); Turner's Sketches and Drawings...With 100 illustrations (1910); Turner's Water-Colours at Farnley Hall ("The Studio", London, 1912); Some Reflections on the Art Editor and the Illustrator (London, 1912); The Development of British Landscape Painting in Water-Colours edited by Charles Holme, with text by A J Finberg and E A Taylor ("The Studio", London, 1918); Early English Water-Colour Drawings by the Great Masters edited by Geoffrey Holme, with articles by A J Finberg ("The Studio", London, 1919); Notes on four Pencil Drawings of J M W Turner (Chiswick Press, London, 1921); The First Exhibition of the New Society of Graphic Art (Alexander Moring, London, 1921); The History of Turner's Liber Studiorum. With a new catalogue raisonné (Ernest Benn, London, 1924); Modern Painters. Abridged & edited by A J Finberg by John Ruskin (G Bell and Sons, London, 1927); An Introduction to Turner's Southern Coast (Cotswold Gallery, London,1929); In Venice with Turner (Cotswold Gallery, London, 1930); The Life of J M W Turner, RA (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1939).
Born in Kensington, 1779; student of the Royal Academy, and began to paint portraits under John Hoppner, successfully exhibiting a portrait of Miss Roberts at the Royal Academy, 1799; his preference at this time was for landscapes, and after 1804 exhibited only these for a number of years; elected an associate member of the Royal Academy, 1806; elected a full member of the Royal Academy, 1810; married Maria Graham, a well-known author of the day, and visited Europe (including Italy for the first time), 1827-1828; knighted, 1837, and began to compose figure paintings as well as landscapes; appointed Conservator of the Royal Pictures, 1844; died 1844 and was buried at Kensal Green cemetery, London.
There were five Devis family artists: Arthur Devis ([1711]-1787), his half-brother Anthony Devis, (1729-1816), the two sons of Arthur, Thomas Anthony Devis (1757-1810), and Arthur William Devis (1762-1822), and Arthur Devis' son-in-law Robert Marris (1750-1827). Arthur Devis was a pupil of Peter Tillemans. He exhibited twenty paintings at the Free Society of Artists, largely portraits, 1762-1780, (he specialised in portraits of landed familes), and also restored Sir James Thornhill's paintings in the hall at Greenwich. Anthony Devis produced largely landscapes. His original work provided material for some of the engravings used by Wedgwood to decorate Catherine the Great's 'Frog Service'. Little is known of Thomas Anthony Devis, and almost none of his work can be identified. Arthur William Devis was appointed draughtsman on the Antelope, in about 1783, and was shipwrecked. He travelled onto Bengal, India, and painted portraits of English society and local people during his stay there, 1784-1795. On his return to England in 1795, he continued his work, including 'The Death of Nelson', 1805 (at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich). He exhibited sixty-five pictures at the Royal Academy during his professional career between 1779-1821. Robert Maris married Arthur Devis' daughter Frances. His work is not well known, but comprises largely landscape drawings. Whilst a young man he lived and travelled with Anthony Devis, who very probably influenced his work.
Sydney Herbert Pavière (1891-1971), was Art Director and Curator, Harris Museum and Art Gallery, Preston, Lancashire, 1926-1959. The collection of Devis family art held by the gallery almost certainly inspired Pavière's interest, leading him to produce a number of publications about them.
George Field: born, Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire in about 1777; educated at St Peter's School, Berkhampstead; experimented with the application of chemistry to pigments and dyes; successfully cultivated madder, (a plant cultivated for dye); invented a 'physeter' or percolator acting by air pressure to produce coloured lakes or pigments; awarded the Society of Arts' gold Isis medal for the percolator, 1816, (the apparatus is described by in Society of Arts Transactions, xxxiv pp 87-94); continued to work on preparing colours for use by artists; other inventions included a metrochrome and conical lenses; died, Isleworth, Middlesex, 1854.
Publications: Chromatics; or, an Essay on the analogy and harmony of colours (Newman, London, 1817); Chromatography, or, A treatise on colours and pigments, and of their powers in painting (London, 1835); Ethics; or, the analogy of the Moral Sciences indicated; Outlines of Analogical Philosophy, being a primary view of the principles, relations and purposes of Nature, Science, and Art 2 vols (London, 1839); Rudiments of the Painter's Art: or, a Grammar of Colouring (London, 1850); Tritogenea, or, A brief outline of the universal system; Dianoia. The third Organon attempted, or, Elements of Logic and subjective philosophy; Aesthetics, or, the analogy of the sensible sciences indicated: with an appendix on light and colors; The analogy of the physical sciences indicated; Society of Arts Transactions, xxxiv pp 87-94.
H A Hammelmann was a qualified lawyer who made eighteenth century book illustration his special interest and life's work. He died in 1969.
T S R Boase (1898-1974) was Director of the Courtauld Institute of Art and Professor of History of Art, University of London, 1937-1947 and President of Magdalen College, Oxford, 1947-1968. He was also a Fellow of the British Academy, 1961, Trustee of the National Gallery, 1947-1953, and British Museum, 1950-1969 and a member of the Advisory Council of the Victoria and Albert Museum, 1947-1970.
Publications: by Hammelmann: Book Illustrators in Eighteenth-century England (Yale University Press, 1975); Hugo von Hofmannsthal (Bowes & Bowes, London, 1957). Articles: The Book Handbook, later, The Book Collector: 'English Eighteenth-century Book Illustrators' BH Vol 2 No 3, p 127 (September 1951); 'Gravelot in England' BH Vol 2 No 4, p 176 (March 1952); 'Isaac Taylor the Elder' BC Vol 1 No 1, p 14 (Spring 1952); 'Samuel Wale R.A' BC Vol 1 No 3, p 150 (Autumn 1952); 'Francis Hayman, R.A' BC Vol 2 No 2, p 116 (Summer 1953); 'Anthony Walker' BC Vol 3 No 2 (Summer 1954); 'Henry Fuseli' BC Vol 6 No 4, p 350 (Winter 1957); 'John Vanderbank' BC Vol 17 no 3 (Autumn 1968); from Country Life: 'A Master of Illustration' [Isaac Taylor] Vol CVII, p 1876 (1950); 'Engraved Title-pages of the 18th Century' Vol CVIII, p 1281 (1950); 'Old English Almanacs' Country Life Annual, p 167 (1952); 'The Art of Francis Hayman' Vol CXVI, p 1258 (1954); 'Some 18th Century Drawing-books' Vol CXVI, p 1756 (1954); 'A Neglected Artist's Sketchbook' [Philippe Jacques de Loutherbourg] Country Life Annual, p 152 (1956); 'Miniature Libraries for Children' Vol CXXII, p 1420 (1957); 'An English Baroque Illustrator' [John Sturt] Country Life Annual, p 111 (1957); 'An Illustrator of Georgian London' [Samuel Wale] Vol CXXIV, p 1333 (1958); 'Portrayer of 18th Century Cockneys' [Louis Philippe Boitard] Vol CXXVI, p 356 (1959); 'A French Master of English Illustration: Gravelot's Years in London' Vol CXXVI, p 1085 (1959); 'Bookbinder with a Noble Touch: The Comte de Caumont' Vol CXXXVI, p 1573 (1964); 'French Designer of English Ornaments: the Work of Simon Gribelin' Country Life Annual, p 29 (1964); 'German Engraver in Georgian London' [Johann Müller] Vol CXXXVIII, p 560 (1965); 'A Draughtsman in Hogarth's Shadow: The Drawings of John Vanderbank' Vol CXLI, p 32 (1967); 'First Engraver at the Royal Academy' [Thomas Major] Vol CXLII, p 616 (1967); 'Queen Victoria's Etchings' Vol CXLIII, p 878 (1968); 'A Georgian Guide to Deportment' Vol CXLIII, p 1272 (1968); 'Edward Burney's Drawings' Vol CXLIII, p 1504 (1968); 'Music-making at Home' Vol CXLIV, p 1052 (1968); 'A Venetian View of Peasant Life' Vol CXLIV, p 1198 (1968); 'Etcher with a Velvet Tone: Thomas Worlidge' Vol CXLV, p 414 (1969); 'Pioneers of Space Travel' Vol CXLVI, p 66 (1969); 'The Poet's Seasons Delineated' [Illustrators of J. Thomson's poem "The Seasons", from its first publication in 1730, onwards] Country Life Annual, p 52 (1970); from Apollo: 'Shakespeare's First Illustrators' Vol 88, suppl p 1-4 (August 1968); from The Connoisseur: 'Shakespeare Illustration: the Earliest Known Originals' Vol 141 pp 144-9 (April 1958); 'Anthony Walker: A gifted engraver and illustrator' Vol 168 pp 167-74 (July 1968); from Master Drawings: 'John Vanderbank's Don Quixote' Vol 7 No 1, pp 3-15 (Spring 1969); from the Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes: 'Two Eighteenth-century frontispieces' Vol XXXI pp 448-449 (1968).
By Boase: from the British Museum Quarterly: 'An extra-illustrated second folio of Shakespeare' Vol XX pp 4-8 (March 1955); from the Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes: 'Illustrations of Shakespeare's plays in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth centuries' Vol X pp 83-108 (1947); 'Macklin and Bowyer' Vol XXVI pp 148-77 (1963); 'Biblical Illustration in Nineteenth-century English Art' Vol XXIX pp 349-67 (1966).
Born in Deptford, 1797; taught perspective by his father (a drawing master) and Samuel Prout; exhibited two drawings at the Royal Academy aged thirteen; became a water-colour painter and was awarded a silver medal by the Society of Arts aged eighteen; exhibited with the Society of Painters in Water-colours, 1818, and continued to exhibit there regularly; became a member of the Society, 1821; adopted lithography as a way of providing examples for the use of students, publishing a number of well received lithographic works, notably Sketches at Home and Abroad, 1836, The Park and the Forest, 1841, and Picturesque Selections, 1861; died in Barnes, 1863.
Publications: Views of Pompeii drawn on stone by J D Harding; after drawings by W Light (London, 1828); Pugin's Gothic Ornaments, selected from various buildings in England and France, drawn on stone by J D Harding (London, [1831]); The Costumes of the French Pyrenees, drawn on stone by J D Harding, from original sketches, by J Johnson (London, 1832);Elementary Art, or the Use of the Lead Pencil (London, 1834); Sketches at Home and Abroad (London, 1836); J D H's Drawing Book (London, 1838); H's Sketches at home and abroad (London, [1839]); The Park and the Forest (London, 1841); Principles and Practices of Art (London, 1845); Lessons on Art (London, 1849); Lessons on Trees (London, 1850); Drawing Models and their Uses (London, 1854); The Early Drawing Book (London, [1856]); The Guide and Companion to the "Lessons on Art" (London, [1858]); Picturesque Selections: drawn on stone (London, [1861]).
Born in Dorchester, 1847; trained with Messrs Agnew, Fine Art Publishers, c.1866-c.1875; purchased the London Art Business of Messrs Dickinson, New Bond Street, c.1875; Honorary Secretary of the Folk-lore Society, 1885-1892; became interested in the art of miniature painting and visted a large number of collections in Britain and abroad; Member of the British Committee International Exhibition of Miniatures, 1912; produced a large number of publications relating to the History of Art, and miniature paintings in particular; published Wessex Worthies, biographies of notable Wessex personages, 1920; continued his research for a dictionary of miniature painters, published posthumously by his daughter; died 1923.
Publications: Catalogue of a Loan Collection of Miniatures and Enamels [Compiled by J J Foster]([London,] 1880); British Miniature Painters and their works (Sampson, Low & Co, London, 1898); The Stuarts, 2 vols (Dickinsons, London; E P Dutton & Co, New York, 1902); Miniature Painters, British and Foreign, with some account of those who practised in America in the eighteenth century, 2 vols (Dickinsons, London; E P Dutton & Co, New York, 1903); The Life of George Morland, with remarks on his works with an introduction and notes by J J Foster (Dickinsons, London, 1904) [Reprint of: The Life of George Morland by Vernor, Hood, & Sharpe (J Walker, London, 1807)]; Concerning the True Portraiture of Mary, Queen of Scots (Dickinsons, London, 1904); French Art from Watteau to Prud'hon Edited by J J Foster (Dickinsons, London, 1905-1907); Chats on Old Miniatures (T Fisher Unwin, London, 1908); Samuel Cooper and the English miniature painters of the XVII Century, with supplement: A List, alphabetically arranged, of works of English miniature painters of the XVII century, with a description of the same, names of the owners and remarks, 2 vols (Dickinsons, London, 1914-1916); Wessex Worthies - Dorset (Dickinsons, London, 1920); A Dictionary of Painters of Miniatures, 1525-1850 edited by Ethel M Foster (P Allan & Co, London, 1926).
Born in Budapest, 1891; educated at the State Gymnasium in Budapest, University of Budapest, 1909-1914; studied art, archaeology and philosophy, University of Vienna, 1915-1917, under Max Dvorák; awarded the degree Doctor Philosophiae by Vienna University for his thesis 'Die Anfange der italienischen Radierung', 1918; Assistant Keeper, Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest, 1918-1922, where he gained his interest in the study of Old Master drawings, assisted in organising the sequestration of works of art considered of national importance, collaborated with Karl Swoboda on the collected works of Dvorák; Assistant Keeper, then Keeper, Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, 1923-1938; developed the use of x-rays to discover the condition of paintings and the artists' creative process; fearing for the safety of his Hungarian-Jewish wife, they left to visit Holland, 1939, then to England as guests of Sir Kenneth Clark; went to Aberystwyth to look after Count Antoine Seilern's pictures, and assisted with cataloguing the National Gallery's pictures in store there; approached by Arthur Ewart Popham, Keeper of Prints and Drawings at the British Museum, to help write a catalogue of Old Master drawings at Windsor Castle, 1939; interned and deported to a concentration camp in Canada, 1940-1941; allowed to return to England, 1941, resumed his work on the Windsor Castle catalogue and began lecturing at the Courtauld Institute; reader in the History of Art, London University, 1947; Deputy Director of the Courtauld Institute of Art, 1948-1958; Professor of History of Art, 1950; fellow of the British Academy, 1951; published his catalogue of the Michelangelo drawings in the British Museum, 1953; CBE, 1955; member of the Reviewing Committee on the Export of Works of Art, 1957-1963; Serena medal of the British Academy, 1963; died in Dulwich, London, 1970.
Publications: Kunstgeschichte als Geistesgeschichte. Studien zur abendländischen Kunstentwicklung, etc Max Dvorák [edited by Carl M Swoboda and Johannes Wilde](München, 1924); 'Michelangelo and his Studio' by Johannes Wilde (translated by J A Gere and T H Scrutton) 1953, in Italian Drawings in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum (London, 1950-62); The Italian Drawings of the XV and XVI Centuries ... at Windsor Castle By A E Popham and Johannes Wilde [A catalogue, with reproductions. The sections relating to Michelangelo and his school by J Wilde, translated by J Leveen] (Phaidon Press, London, 1949); Michelangelo's 'Victory' (Oxford University Press, London, 1954); Venetian art from Bellini to Titian (Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1974); Michelangelo: six lectures by Johannes Wilde edited by John Shearman and Michael Hirst (Oxford University Press, 1978); 'The Decoration of the Sistine Chapel' (1958), in Art and Politics in Renaissance Italy: British Academy Lectures edited by George Holmes, (Oxford University Press, 1993); Michelangelo: Selected Scholarship in English [5 volumes], edited by William E Wallace (New York: Garland Publishing Inc, 1995). Includes [volume 1] 'Michelangelo, Vasari, and Condivi' (1978), 'The Hall of the Great Council of Florence' (1944), 'Michelangelo and Leonardo' (1953), [volume 2] 'The Decoration of the Sistine Chapel' (1958), [volume 3] 'Michelangelo's Designs for the Medici Tombs' (1955), 'Notes on the Genesis of Michelangelo's "Leda"' (1957), 'Michelangelo's "Victory"' (1954).