Affichage de 15888 résultats

Notice d'autorité

The Language and Communications Centre at King's was established in 1989 to provide language teaching to non-linguists. It has also provided external teaching and examination provision for courses notably including the London Business School MBA programme, evening classes and open learning courses. It was subsequently renamed the Modern Language Centre and is currently part of the School of Humanities.

Physical geography, imperial geography, and history and geography, were subjects taught in the Department of General Literature and Science and the Evening Studies Department at King's from the 1850s. A chair in geography was established in 1863. The department became part of the Faculty of Arts in 1893, and the subject taught under an intercollegiate arrangement with the London School of Economics from 1922, becoming known as the Joint School of Geography from 1949. The department was part of the School of Humanities from 1989 and in 2001 merged with the Geography Department of the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS).

Spanish was taught at King's College from 1831, initially as a course in the Department of General Literature and Science, then as a Faculty of Arts course from 1893 until 1923-1924, when it became recognised in its own right as the Spanish Studies Department. In 1973 the department changed its title to the Spanish and Spanish-American Studies Department in recognition of a broadening Latin American syllabus, and has been part of the School of Humanities since 1989.

The Centre for Medical Law and Ethics, part of the School of Law, was opened in 1978 to undertake research, organise teaching and publish papers concerning issues in medicine involving law and ethics. It draws on the expertise of staff in numerous schools and departments including medicine and theology and offers undergraduate course units and an MA and Diploma programme. Teaching is also provided to students in related programmes in the School of Medicine including the MSc in Palliative Care, while the Centre publishes occasional papers and the periodical, Medical law review.

Materia medica and therapeutics were subjects taught from the inception of King's College. A Department of Materia Medica, Pharmacology and Therapeutics was created in 1901, superseded by the Department of Physiology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry and Pharmacology in 1954. Pharmacology emerged as an independent department at King's College in 1965. Practical pharmacy classes were held in the Medical Department of King's from around 1871, and from around 1896 in the Chemistry section of the Technical Department at the South-Western Polytechnic (later Chelsea College which merged with King's in 1985), and instruction for the examinations of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain commenced in 1922 when the Chelsea School of Pharmacy was opened. Chelsea became the first institution recognised by the University of London to offer a degree in Pharmacy with the first graduate in 1926. The rapid expansion of teaching in pharmacy at Chelsea occasioned the opening of a pharmacognosy laboratory in 1927 and the creation of a separate Department of Pharmacy in 1933. Distinct departments of Physiology and Pharmacology, and Pharmacy, had emerged by 1957. Post-merger, the Departments of Pharmacology and of Pharmacy were part of the Faculty of Life Sciences, and the Biomedical Sciences and Health Sciences Divisions of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences from 1991. The Division of Pharmacology and Therapeutics has been part of the School of Biomedical Sciences, and Pharmacy part of the School of Life Sciences, since 1998.

Editor of The Children's Friend.

Publications: Baden Powell, the hero of Mafeking (S W Partridge & Co, London, 1900); Frederick Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury (S W Partridge & Co, London, 1901); Lord Kitchener of Khartoum and of Aspall (H J Drane, London, 1901); The Marquess of Salisbury, K.G.; his inherited characteristics, political principles, and personality (S W Partridge & Co, London, 1901); Victoria, the well-beloved (S W Partridge & Co, London, 1901); Canon Barnett, Warden of Toynbee Hall: his mission and its relation to social movement (S. W. Partridge & Co, London, 1902); The Boy's Life of Greatheart Lincoln, the Martyr President (S. W. Partridge & Co, London, [1910]); Follow my Leader! (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1910]); The Chief Scout, Sir Robert Baden-Powell (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1912]); Come out to Play (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1913]); Happy all Day! (Pictures & stories for the little ones) (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1911]); Happy Days (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1913]); King of the Castle! (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1913]); Queen of the Daisies! (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1913]).

King's College London

The Associate of King's College London is a distinctive qualification of King's that was awarded from 1833 as a form of degree equivalent. A number of students, however, also sat the examinations of the professional societies and in the case of medical students, the examination of the University of Edinburgh. University of London degrees were also introduced from 1836. In 1846, with the introduction of theological teaching, a Theological AKC was initiated as a vocational qualification of choice. In the course of the 19th century the University of London degree gradually took precedence over other qualifications and, in 1909, the time of the incorporation of the College into the University, the AKC was offered to students who followed a course of religious studies in addition to their main academic subject. In recent decades its scope has been widened to reflect broad ethical, philosophical and social issues.

King's College London

The Associate of King's College London is a distinctive qualification of King's that was awarded from 1833 as a form of degree equivalent. A number of students, however, also sat the examinations of the professional societies and in the case of medical students, the examination of the University of Edinburgh. University of London degrees were also introduced from 1836. In 1846, with the introduction of theological teaching, a Theological AKC was initiated as a vocational qualification of choice. During the course of the 19th century, the University of London degree gradually took precedence over other qualifications and in 1909, the time of the incorporation of the College into the University, the AKC was offered to students who followed a course of religious studies in addition to their main academic subject. In recent decades its scope has been widened to reflect broad ethical, philosophical and social issues.

Born 7 Nov 1726; studied in Paris; named as Ambassador to the court of Louis XV, King of France, when implicated in the plot of 3 Sep 1758 to murder Joseph I, King of Portugal; imprisoned on the orders of Sebastião de Carvalho, Marquês de Pombal, in the Castle of Belém, and then the Fortress of Junqueira for eighteen years; released Mar 1777; subsequently declared innocent of attempted regicide, and rehabilitated; Commander of Moreira in the Order of Christ; Captain of Cavalry; Member of the Real Academia de História Portuguesa; died 9 Jun 1802.

Anglo-Hellenic League

The Anglo-Hellenic League was founded in London in 1913 by Dr Ronald Montagu Burrows, Principal of King's College London, William Pember Reeves, Director of the London School of Economics, and two prominent Anglo-Greeks, D J Cassavetti and A C Ionides. Reeves was appointed Chairman with Burrows as Vice Chairman. The main aims of the League were the defence of the just claims and honour of Greece', the removal of existing prejudices and the prevention of future misunderstandings between theBritish and Hellenic races' and also between the Hellenic and other races of South Eastern Europe'. It also sought to spread information on Hellenic matters in Great Britain and the improvement ofthe social, educational, commercial and political relations of the two countries', together with the promotion of travel between Great Britain and Greece. The offices of the League were situated in the Aldywch, London. The League quickly came to be identified with the aspirations of Eleftherios Venizelos, Prime Minister of Greece, and acted as a source of pro-Venizelos political propaganda during the period between Venizelos' forced resignation in 1915 and the formal recognition of Venizelos as Prime Minister of the whole of Greece in Jun 1917 by the Entente powers, arguing particularly for the recognition of Venizelos' provisional government established at Salonica in 1916. Members of the League, including prominent philhellene British and wealthy members of the Greek community in Great Britain, subscribed to the endowment of the Koraes Chair of Modern Greek and Byzantine History, established at King's College London in 1919. The League held an annual meeting and periodic receptions in London to which eminent British philhellenes and Anglophile Greek dignitaries were invited. A sister branch of the League existed in Athens.

Publications: The League published numerous pamphlets on Greek issues, particularly relating to politics. The following are a selection, all published in London (the League pamphlet number is given with the year of publication): Albania and Epirus by William Pember Reeves (no 7, 1914); The New Greece by Ronald Montagu Burrows (no, 14, 1914); Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - Report of the International Commission into the causes and conduct of the Balkan Wars by Burrows (no 15, 1914); The Northern Epirotes by C S Butler (no 16, 1914); The Near East and the European War. Address delivered ... on January 15th, 1915 by Andreas M Andreades (no 17, 1915); Greece and to-morrow by Z Duckett Ferriman (no 23, 1915); Speech of M E Venizelos to the people. Delivered in Athens August 27, 1916 (no 28, 1916); The abdication of King Constantine, June 12, 1917 by Burrows (no 34, 1917); England's welcome to Venizelos at the Mansion House, November 16, 1917: speeches by the Right Hon A J Balfour, Earl Curzon of Kedleston, M. Winston Churchill, Mr Venizelos, Mr J Gennadius, and Dr R M Burrows (no 35, 1917); The Anglo-Hellenic Alliance. Speeches of Mr. Winston Churchill, the Greek Minister (Mr. Gennadius) and Viscount Bryce at the Mansion House June 27, 1918, The anniversary of the entry of re-united Greece into the war, etc. (no. 36, 1918); The Retirement of M. Gennadius. Speeches of Monsieur Venizelos ... and others at a valedictory dinner ... on November 18, 1918 in honour of M. Gennadius (no 38, 1919); The Turks, Cardinal Newman, and the Council of Ten by William Francis Barry (no 40, 1920); The Settlement of the Near East by Sir Arthur Henry Crosfield, Bt (no 45, 1922); The National Claims of the Dodecanese by Michael D Bolonakes (no 46, 1922); The Treatment of the Greek Prisoners in Turkey. Report of the International Commission of Inquiry appointed at the request of the Greek Red Cross (no 51, 1923); The Janina Murders and the occupation of Corfu by George Glasgow (no 53, 1923); Correspondence of Commodore Hamilton during the Greek War of Independence by Gawen William Hamilton (no 57, 1930).

Born 1567; participated in the expedition of the Marquês de Santa Cruz to the island of Terceira, 1587; served under Don Martinho de Rivera, General of the Galleys of Spain; served as Captain of Horse; Frontier Commander of Alcobaça; General of the Armada of the Coast; Colonel of Infantry; Captain Major of the Indian Fleets, 1611-1612, undertook round voyage from Lisbon to Goa; Captain General of the Portuguese Home Fleet, 1618-1621; removed from command due to the loss of the ship NOSSA SENHORA DA CONCEIÇÃO to Algerine warships in 1621, subsequently absolved of blame; Gentleman of the Chamber of Philip IV, King of Spain, and Steward to Queen Isabella; Councillor of the State Council of Portugal; President of the Council of Aragon; Ambassador Extraordinary to Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor, 1629; appointed with the Conde de Vale de Reis as joint Governor of Portugal under the Spanish Crown, 1631-1633; President of the Board of Conscience and Military Orders; imprisoned in 1641 on suspicion of involvement in pro-Spanish activities, subsequently acquitted and released; died 1647; buried in the Church of San Francisco, Lisbon.

Publications: Cargos que resultaram da devassa que os governadores de Portugal mandaram tirar a D Antonio de Ataide da nau da India `Nossa Senhora da Conceição' que os inimigos queimaram no ano de 1621, e reposta de D Antonio nos argos (Lisbon, 1622); Sentenças dadas sobre a devassa que se tirou de Dom A. de Atayde Capitão General da armada de Portugal (P Crasbeek, Lisbon, 1624); Viagens do Reino para a Índia e da Índia para o Reino, 1608-1612. Diários de navegação coligidos por D. António de Ataíde no século XVII. With introduction and notes by Comandante Humberto Leitão (3 vols, Lisbon, 1957).

Born 1886; studied art at the Slade School and Heatherley's; Chairman of the Incorporated Stage Society, 1929; abandoned painting to concentrate upon literary and dramatic work; first play to be produced commercially was 'The Poetasters of Ispahan', 1912; subsequent productions were 'Polly', with music by Frederick Austin, 1923; 'The Insect Play', adapted in collaboration with Nigel Playfair, 1923; 'Midsummer Madness', with music by Armstrong Gibbs, 1924; 'Mr Pepys', with music by Martin Shaw, 1926; 'Waterloo Leave', with music by Martin Shaw, 1928; 'Socrates', 1930; 'The Venetian', 1931; 'The Immortal Lady', 1931; 'The Rose without a Thorn', 1932; 'The House of Borgia', 1935; also produced several anthologies of his own and others' poetry, biographies, volumes of short stories, and memoirs; died 1962. Publications: include Twenty-five Chinese Poems (W Budd & Co, London, 1910); Shakespeare. A play in five episodes with Harold Frederick Rubinstein (Benn Bros, London, 1921); Midsummer Madness. A play for music (London, 1923); Inland Far. A book of thoughts and impressions (William Heinemann, London, 1925); Mr Pepys. A ballad-opera (William Heinemann, London, 1926); Many a Green Isle (William Heinemann, London, 1927) [short stories]; Socrates. A play in six scenes (Victor Gollancz, London, 1930); Twelve Short Plays, serious and comic (Victor Gollancz, London, 1932); Leonardo da Vinci (Peter Davies, London, 1932); Pretty Witty Nell. An account of Nell Gwynn and her environment (Chapman and Hall, London, 1932); Farewell, My Muse (Lovat Dickson, London, 1932) [collected poems]; Ideas and People (Lovat Dickson, London, 1936); Highways and Byways in Essex (Macmillan and Co, 1939); The Life of the White Devil [A biography of Vittoria Orsini, Duchess of Bracciano] (Cassel and Co, London, 1940); Evenings in Albany (Eyre & Spottiswoode, London, 1942); Time with a Gift of Tears. A modern romance (Eyre & Spottiswoode, London, 1943) [novel]; The Beauty of Women (Frederick Muller, London, 1946); Golden Eagle. A drama (Home & Van Thal, London, 1946); The Silver Casket. Being love-letters and love-poems attributed to Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots (Home & Van Thal, London, 1946); Hemlock for Eight. A radio play with L M Lion (Frederick Muller, London, 1946); The Buddha. A radio version of his life and ideas (Victor Gollancz, London, 1947); Rosemary for Remembrance (Frederick Muller, London, 1948); Circe. A play in three acts (Frederick Muller, London, 1949); The Distaff Muse. An anthology of poetry written by women with Meum Stewart (Hollis & Carter, London, 1949); Some I knew well (Phoenix House, London, 1951); W G Grace (Phoenix House, London, 1952).

Belgrave Hospital for Children , London

Belgrave Hospital for Children, a voluntary hospital, was founded in 1866. New buildings were constructed at no 1 Clapham Road, London SW9 (Kennington, Lambeth) between 1899 and 1926 to an innovative design. Under the National Health Service Act (1946), in 1948 the hospital was amalgamated with King's College Hospital as part of the King's College Hospital Group (a teaching group managed by a Board of Governors), but remained a children's hospital. The Belgrave Hospital for Children closed after a new hospital, the Variety Club Children's Hospital, opened in 1985. The building was restored in the 1990s after some years of neglect.

Belgrave Hospital for Children, a voluntary hospital, was founded in 1866. New buildings were constructed at 1 Clapham Road, London SW9 (Kennington, Lambeth) between 1899 and 1926 to an innovative design. Under the National Health Service Act (1946), in 1948 the hospital was amalgamated with King's College Hospital as part of the King's College Hospital Group (a teaching group managed by a Board of Governors), but remained a children's hospital. The Belgrave Hospital for Children closed after a new hospital, the Variety Club Children's Hospital, opened in 1985. The building was restored in the 1990s after some years of neglect.

Born, 1831; educated, King's College School, 1842-1845; Royal College of Chemistry, 1845-1850; Sub- Assistant to Professor August Wilhelm Hofmann, 1847; Full Assistant, 1849; private practice, 1850-1854; King's College London, 1854; Professor of Practical Chemistry, King's College London, 1855; Professor of Chemistry, King's College London, 1870; Professor of Chemistry, and Chemistry and Physics, Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, 1855-1882; Professor of Chemistry, Royal Artillery College, Woolwich, 1864-1887; died, 1887. Publications: Hand-book of chemistry, theoretical, practical and technical (London, 1854); Chemistry, inorganic and organic (London, 1867); Laboratory teaching: or, progressive exercises in practical chemistry (London, 1869); Metals: their properties and treatment (London, 1870).

Born in Middlesex, 1834; entered the Royal Navy as a cadet, 1848; commissioned as a midshipman, 1850, and served on HMS CALEDONIA, HMS CASTOR and HMS STYX; promoted Lieutenant, 1854, and served on HMS ALGIERS; commanded HMS DAISY (gunboat), 1856; served on HMS BELLEROPHON, [1867-1870]; requested to revise Royal Navy publications, 1874; promoted Captain, and commanded HMS UNDAUNTED, 1875; appointed to the Admiralty Torpedo Committee, 1875; Captain, HMS HIMALAYA, 1879; appointed Director of the Indian Marine, 1881-[1883]; Captain, HMS AMETHYST, 1883, HMS HERCULES, 1885, and HMS BLACK PRINCE, 1887; took part in the Spithead Review, 1887; retired as Captain, 1889; promoted Vice-Admiral, 1896; died 1911. Publications: The Law of Port Helm. An examination into its history and dangerous action; with suggestions for its abolition with Philip Howard Colomb (J D Potter, Harrison & Sons, London, 1866).

No information is available on Bertha Browne. Hugh James Rose was born at Little Horsted, Sussex, 1795; educated at Uckfield school; studied at Trinity College Cambridge, 1813-1817 (graduated, BA); ordained deacon, 1818; ordained priest, 1819; curate of Buxted, Sussex, 1819; vicar of Horsham, Sussex, 1821-1830; curate of Little Horsted, Sussex and Uckfield, Sussex; vicar of Glynde, Sussex, 1824-1838; spent a year in Germany for his health, 1824, came into contact with the German rationalistic schools of theology, and published four discourses, 'The State of the Protestant Religion in Germany'; collated to the prebend of Middleton in the church of Chichester, 1827-1833; select preacher at Cambridge, 1828-1830, 1833-1834, and Christian advocate, 1829-1833; a leading exponent of King's College London, and of the idea that religious study and practice should form an integral part of higher education; rector of Hadleigh, Suffolk, 1830-1833; met with William Palmer (1803-1885), Arthur Philip Perceval and Richard Hurrell Froude at Hadleigh, 1833 - this `Hadleigh Conference' being an important milestone in the development of the Oxford Movement; the Association of Friends of the Church was formed soon after by Froude and Palmer; founder and first editor of the British Magazine and Monthly Register of Religious and Ecclesiastical Information, 1832; chair of divinity, Durham University, 1833-1834; domestic chaplain to Archbishop Howley, 1834; rector of Fairsted, Essex, 1834-1837; perpetual curacy of St Thomas's, Southwark, 1835-1838; Principal of King's College London, 1836; died in Florence, 1838. Publications: include: Inscriptiones Græcæ Vetustissimæ. Collegit et Observationes tum aliorum tum suas adjecit Hugo Jacobus Rose, M A (Cambridge, 1825); The Tendency of prevalent opinions about knowledge considered (Cambridge, 1926); The Commission and consequent Duties of the Clergy; in a series of discourses preached before the University of Cambridge(London and Cambridge, 1828); Greek and English Lexicon to the New Testament new edition (London, 1829); Doctrine of the Greek Article applied to the Criticism and Illustration of the New Testament new edition (Cambridge, 1833); The State of the Protestant Religion in Germany; in a series of discourses (Cambridge, 1825); Christianity always Progressive (London, 1829); Brief Remarks on the Disposition towards Christianity generated by prevailing Opinions and Pursuits (London, 1830); Eight Sermons preached before the University of Cambridge at Great St. Mary's in the Years 1830 and 1831 (Cambridge, 1831); Notices of the Mosaic Law: with some Account of the Opinions of recent French Writers concerning it (London, 1831); The Gospel an Abiding System. With some remarks on the "New Christianity" of the St Simonians (London, 1832); An Apology for the Study of Divinity: being, the Terminal Divinity Lecture, delivered in Bishop Cosins's Library, ... Durham (London, 1834); The Study of Church History recommended, being the Terminal Divinity Lecture delivered ... April XV, 1834, before the ... University of Durham (J G & F Rivington, London, 1834); contributed leaders to the British Magazine; editor of the Encyclopædia Metropolitana.

Born 1726 in Shrewsbury; educated at Chester free school; studied music under his half-brother, James Burney, 1742-1744, and the composer, Thomas Arne in London, 1744-1748; contributed music to The Masque of Alfred by James Thomson, 1745; published six sonatas for two violins and a bass, 1747; patronised by the MP and diplomat, Fulke Greville after meeting in 1747; appointed organist of St Dionis Backchurch, 1749; elected member of the Royal Society of Musicians, 1749; provided the music to Robin Hood by Moses Mendes, Drury Lane, 1750 and the pantomime of Queen Mab, 1750; following a serious illness took the post of organist at Lyme Regis, 1751-1760; returned to London, 1760; taught music and adapted Jean Rousseau's opera Le Devin de Village, produced as The Cunning Man, Drury Lane, 1766; took the degree of Mus. Doc., Oxford, 1769; also interested in astronomy, publishing An essay towards a history of the principal comets (London, 1769); toured France, Switzerland and Italy in 1770, and Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany in 1772 in order to research A General History of Music, 4 vols (London, 1776-1789); elected a fellow of the Royal Society, 1773; began to collect material for his 'Memoirs' (unpublished, but partly incorporated by his daughter in his biography, published 1832), 1782-[1814]; appointed organist at Chelsea Hospital, 1783; member of the Literary Club, 1784; contributed criticisms to the Monthly Review, [1789]-1793; wrote Memoirs of the Life and Writings of Abate Metastasio, 3 vols (G G and J Robinson, London, 1796); collected material for a 'Dictionary of Music' (uncompleted), 1797-1802; wrote musical biographies for Rees' Encyclopaedia, 1801-[1807]; died 1814 in Chelsea.

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. The renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971. Chelsea merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985.

The South-Western Polytechnic, situated at Manresa Road, Chelsea, opened in 1895 to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. Known as Chelsea Polytechnic from 1922, the College taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. The renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971. Chelsea merged with King's College London and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985.

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. The renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971. Chelsea merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985.

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. Chelsea was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971 and merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985.

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. The renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971. Chelsea merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985.

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. The renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971. Chelsea merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985. The Registry was responsible for the organisation and audit of academic and educational provision throughout the College, most notably in overseeing examinations and academic assessment, and by way of organising ceremonies and graduations.

Chelsea College , Registry

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. The renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971. Chelsea merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985. The Registry was responsible for the organisation and audit of academic and educational provision throughout the College, most notably in overseeing examinations and academic assessment, and by way of organising ceremonies and graduations.

Born 1899; educated at the Ecole Pascal, Paris, Harrow School and Magdalen College, Oxford, 1917; Grenadier Guards and Army Education Scheme, 1918-1919; Magdalen, 1919-1921; graduated with Zoology degree in 1921; fellow of Merton College, 1923-1938; taught in the University Zoology Department until 1938; reader in embryology, University College London, 1938; Professor, 1945-1950; World War Two work in intelligence, propaganda and psychological warfare; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1940; President of the Linnean Society, 1946-1949; Director of the British Museum (Natural History), 1950-1960; knighted, 1954; retired, 1960; lived in Switzerland, 1965-1971; died 1972. Publications: Growth (London, 1924); Early travellers in the Alps (London, 1930); Vertebrate zoology (London, 1932); An introduction to experimental embryology (Oxford, 1934); De Beer and Julian Sorell Huxley, Elements of experimental embryology (Cambridge, 1934); The development of the vertebrate skull (Oxford, 1937); edited, Evolution. Essays on aspects of evolutionary biology presented to Professor E S Goodrich on his seventieth birthday (Oxford, 1938); Alps and elephants. Hannibal's march (London, 1955); Darwin's Journal (London, 1959); edited Darwin's notebooks on transmutation of species (London, 1960); Charles Darwin: evolution by natural selection (London, 1963); Atlas of evolution (London, 1964); Jean-Jacques Rousseau and his world (London, 1972).

Born 1887; educated at Uppingham School and University College Oxford; called to the Bar in 1911; served in the World War One where he was awarded the Military Cross, 1914-1918; Conservative MP for Lancaster Division, 1929-1941; Parliamentary Secretary, Board of Education, 1931-1935; Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, 1935-1936; Minister of Pensions, 1936-1939; First Commissioner of Works, 1939-1940; President of the Board of Education, 1940-1941; Chairman of the Assistance Board, 1941-1948; Chairman of the Burnham Committees, 1942-1949; Governor General of Ceylon, 1949-1954; created Viscount Soulbury, 1954; died, 1971.

Born, 1930; educated, Liverpool University, 1949-1952; employed as a Technical Assistant in a materials application laboratory, EMI, Hayes, Middlesex, and studied physics part-time at Chelsea Polytechnic, 1954-1957; microwave research at the Radio Research Station of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research at Datchet, 1957-1970; Lecturer in Electronics at Chelsea College, 1970-1985; Lecturer at King's College London, 1985-1996; retired, 1996.

Born 1845; education at St Peter's School, York, and Christ Church, Oxford; Demonstrator and Lecturer in Natural Philosophy at King's College London, 1870-1894; Principal of the South-Western Polytechnic, Chelsea, 1894-1904; died, 1931. Publications: numerous papers and articles published in learned journals including the Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society and the Philosophical Magazine.

John M Wrigglesworth was born 4 July 1941 in West Yorkshire; educated at Rothwell Grammar School and Birmingham University, received a first class honours degree in physics, 1959-1962, an MSc in Radiobiology, 1963 and a PhD in Medical Biochemistry, 1965. His first publications were on the enzymology and radiobiology of the ileum and after obtaining his doctorate, Wrigglesworth took his first postdoctoral post, at University of California, Berkeley, working in the laboratory of Professor Lester Packer, 1967-1970; he then returned to England and was appointed as a lecturer in Biochemistry at Chelsea College, 1970. He met Beatrix Price in 1970 and married her in 1971. Wrigglesworth joined the Biochemistry Department at Chelsea College under Harold Baum. During this time he published extensively on iron, membrane topology and the mechanism of electron and proton translocation by cytochrome c oxidase; was made an Honorary Fellow of Peter Mitchell's Glynn Research Institute, 1991; later being awarded a DSc by London University for research in molecular bioenergetics; he was head of teaching in Molecular Life Sciences, King's College London, 1997 to 2000 and retired in 2004.

During the 1980s, whilst at Chelsea College, Wrigglesworth was active with the Association of University Teachers, chairing the local AUT and was very involved in the attempt to prevent the closure of the College. Wrigglesworth became a member of the Biochemical Society, hosting the International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology meeting in Birmingham, in 2000; served as Society Treasurer from 1997 to 2002 and acted as a Trustee of the Biochemical Society Staff Pension Scheme. Towards the end of his time at King's College London Wrigglesworth took a course in philosophy and qualified in medical ethics. Wrigglesworth died 24 June 2005.

Publications: Energy and life (Taylor & Francis, London, 1997) and Biochemical research techniques: a practical introduction Edited by John M. Wrigglesworth Wiley, Chichester, c1983).

In 1969 a proposal for the development of an integrated science scheme for 13 to 16 year old pupils was accepted by the Schools Council and a development grant allocated. The impetus for this Project had been provided by the Nuffield Combined Science Scheme, designed for 11-13 year old pupils. Dr William C Hall and Brian Mowl were appointed to organise and direct the Project, which was based at the Centre for Science Education, Chelsea College. The Project 'brief' was to produce an integrated science course suitable for the top twenty percent of the ability range, leading to a special GCE O-level examination with double certification. The course required about one fifth of the school timetable for a period of three years. The stated overall aims of the SCISP scheme were: to help the pupils develop intellectual skills which would be particularly useful if their careers were science based; to give priority to developing those skills over the teaching of facts; to develop and change pupil attitudes to science, society and their own education; and to encourage pupils to make critical and sceptical analyses of their own work and that of scientists and technologists. Trials of the SCISP scheme began in September 1970 in 21 schools in the London, Birmingham and Northern Ireland regions, the Phase 1 trials schools. On successful application by SCISP for an increase in its grant, 10 more schools were able to join the project from September 1971, the Phase 2 trials schools. During Phases 1 and 2 schools tested trials versions of the SCISP course materials and pupils took examinations for the qualification. In September 1973 the trials period ended and Phase 3, the 'dissemination' phase, began. From that date the final version of the SCISP course was taught in hundreds of schools. For co-ordination of Phase 3, England, Wales and Northern Ireland were divided into 15 areas. A co-ordinator was appointed for each area to organize SCISP schools and liaise with the national project co-ordinator. The SCISP team was aided in administration, management, planning and development of the Project by a consultative committee, consisting mainly of persons involved in science education in universities, colleges, schools, the Department of Education and Science, industry and the Schools Council. The SCISP GCE O-level was administered by the Associated Examining Board for all boards. Successful candidates received two O-level grades, Integrated Science A, which focused on pattern finding, and Integrated Science B, which focused on problem-solving. The double certificates were to stand in lieu of the normal separate science grades. The examination included a teacher-assessed element which was regularly discussed and standardized, and a paper was prepared giving SCISP criteria for the teacher assessment of pupil attitudes and value judgements. The SCISP course was called Patterns. An inventory of 86 patterns and concepts in science (contained in the Teacher's Handbook) formed the basis of the course - the nearest equivalent to a syllabus. The course texts represented one way of teaching those patterns and concepts, and were based on three large-scale organizing patterns used by scientists: buildings blocks, energy, and interactions. Background books were also prepared to provide further, optional, reading to parts of the Patterns texts. 'Trials' versions of the Patterns manuals (for pupils, teachers and technicians) and background books were produced and tested by Phase 1 and 2 trials schools. These schools forwarded comments and criticisms on the texts to the SCISP team. The final revised versions of the Patterns manuals and background books were published in 1973 and 1974, and were used after the trials stage had ended. In the late 1970s work began on the preparation of a new set of SCISP books, Exploring Science. This series was aimed at pupils in the average to lower range of ability. In 1974 and 1975 a Project survey revealed that over three quarters of the participating schools had developed a CSE Mode 3 examination based on the philosophy and structure of SCISP. Further research by SCISP into the extent of, and reasons for, these developments led to the setting up of the SCISP 16+ Working Party in 1977. During the late 1970s and early 1980s the Working Party devised a Mode 3 CSE examination model based on the SCISP O-level, and incorporating a revised Patterns inventory. A report outlining their ideas for an examination model was published in 1979.

Chelsea College Personnel Department

Chelsea College became a School of the University of London in 1966. Originally founded in 1891 as the South-Western Polytechnic, later Chelsea Polytechnic (1922), the college became a designated college of advanced technology (as Chelsea College of Science and Technology) in 1957. In 1966 the college became a School of the University of London, and in 1971 the renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London. Following the merger in 1985 with King's College London and Queen Elizabeth College, the personnel functions of all three colleges were integrated in a single department which took responsibility for the staff and reported to the College Secretary.

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. The Polytechnic taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the renamed Chelsea College of Science and Technology was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. Government of the College was devolved to the so-called Governing Body, supplemented from its inception in 1961 by an Academic Board reflecting the interests of staff and students. These were renamed the Council and Senate when the College was granted its Royal Charter in 1971. The Registry dealt with student and academic affairs including applications, examinations and assessments, and its functions were combined with those of the Registry at King's following the merger.

The South-Western Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1891 and from 1895 was known as the South-Western Polytechnic, then from 1922-1956 as Chelsea Polytechnic. South-Western initially aimed to improve the level of technical education available to working class men, and also offered courses in domestic economy for girls wishing to enter domestic service. By 1908-1909 South-Western consisted of a Day College for Men, Day College for Women, School of Art, schools for boys and girls, and evening classes in a range of subjects, including mathematics, physics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and building, chemistry and metallurgy, natural science, languages, commerce, domestic economy, art, music and physical training.

Chelsea College Registry

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and provided teaching to a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. The renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971. Chelsea merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985. The Registry was responsible for the organisation and audit of academic and educational provision throughout the College, most notably in overseeing examinations and academic assessment, and by way of organising ceremonies and graduations.

The Department of Chemistry traces its origin back to the opening of the South-Western Polytechnic in 1895. Chemistry was initially taught in day classes within the School of Science for Boys and Girls, the Technical Day College for Men and in evening classes. Known as the Chemical Department, it included a metallurgical and pharmaceutical section. In 1927 the Chemical Department was re-named the Department of Chemistry within what was then Chelsea Polytechnic. The work of the department was very diversified and in 1933 the School of Pharmacy became a separate department and in 1939 Metallurgy was transferred to Battersea Polytechnic. Work was seriously disrupted during World War Two and, as in World War One, some of the laboratories were given over for emergency use. In subsequent years, the numbers of full-time students increased rapidly as grant-holding servicemen enrolled and the numbers of full-time research workers also increased. The Polytechnic was designated a College of Advanced Technology in 1957. Changes were made to the constitution of the Board of Governors to provide greater representation to industrial and professional activities. Work below the standard of University degrees including Intermediate teaching was discontinued and the College was renamed Chelsea College of Science and Technology. The Department of Chemistry introduced a sandwich course leading to graduate membership of the Royal Institute of Chemistry, which was discontinued in 1961. In 1966 the College was admitted as a School of the University of London and was renamed Chelsea College. It merged with King's College London and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985 to create King's College London (KQC).

Classes in Physics and Electrical Engineering were made available at the South-Western Polytechnic from 1895. The two disciplines were separated in 1906 and in 1918 the Departments of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering were transferred to Battersea Polytechnic. An Engineering Science course in Electronics was reintroduced in 1967 at the successor to the South-Western/Chelsea Polytechnic, Chelsea College of Science and Technology. This Department of Electronics then merged with King's College London Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering in 1985. It is now known as the Department of Electronic Engineering, and is part of the Division of Engineering within the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering at King's College London.

A Liberal Studies Department was first introduced at Chelsea College of Science and Technology in 1958 in order to fulfil a requirement for more broadly based technical qualifications by providing courses in film, music, architectural appreciation, literature, history of science, modern languages and sociology that were open to all students of the College. Liberal Studies changed its name to the Department of Humanities in 1967 and introduced a postgraduate Diploma in Modern Cultural Studies. It also organised extra-curricular activities such as music recitals, drama productions and poetry readings. Its functions were taken over by the Faculty of Arts at King's College when Chelsea and King's merged in 1985.

The South-Western Polytechnic (later Chelsea Polytechnic/College) Department of Physics and Mathematics was divided into two separate departments in 1907. Until 1918-1919, much of the work conducted by the department was ancillary to the Departments of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. These departments were then transferred to Battersea Polytechnic. The Department of Mathematics subsequently developed courses for the General and Special degrees of the University of London. During the Second World War, scientific research development stimulated the need for mathematical education, and shortly after the war, advanced courses were introduced at the request of physicists of the EMI Research Laboratories and GEC Research laboratories that developed into lecture courses for the MSc degree of the University of London. Mathematics teaching was transferred to King's College when King's and Chelsea merged in 1985.

The South-Western Polytechnic (later Chelsea Polytechnic/College) Department of Physics and Mathematics was divided into two separate departments in 1907. Until 1918-1919, much of the work conducted by the department was ancillary to the Departments of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. These departments were then transferred to Battersea Polytechnic. The Department of Mathematics subsequently developed courses for the General and Special degrees of the University of London. During the Second World War, scientific research development stimulated the need for mathematical education, and shortly after the war, advanced courses were introduced at the request of physicists of the EMI Research Laboratories and GEC Research laboratories that developed into lecture courses for the MSc degree of the University of London. Mathematics teaching was transferred to King's College when King's and Chelsea merged in 1985.

Physiology was originally part of the Department of Natural Science at Chelsea Polytechnic and, from 1933, the Department of Biology. Instruction in Physiology continued to be provided by this department until 1951, and mostly comprised teaching for the intermediate and final BSc General degree of the University of London. Some instruction was also provided for Pharmacy students, but Physiology constituted only a small part of the course and Pharmacology was not taught. The Department of Physiology was formed in 1952 then, in 1954, the growing importance of Pharmacology was finally acknowledged and a Department of Physiology and Pharmacology was created. This became a major department with an emphasis on evening and part-time classes gradually giving way to more full-time courses. Postgraduate and research courses were provided alongside the BSc Special degree in Physiology. Pharmacology was introduced as a specialised subject for the BPharm, while a Diploma of Technology was instituted in 1958. Physiology and Pharmacology were split into separate departments when Chelsea was incorporated into the University of London in 1966. The Department of Physiology continued at Chelsea College until the merger with King's College London in 1985.

Pharmacy classes were introduced around 1896 in the Chemistry section of the Technical Department at the South Western Polytechnic. Instruction for examinations of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain commenced in 1922 when the Chelsea School of Pharmacy was opened in the re-named Chelsea Polytechnic. Courses suitable for the Assistants' Examination of the Society of Apothecaries were also introduced. Chelsea became the first institution to offer a University of London recognised degree in Pharmacy from 1926. The rapid expansion of teaching occasioned the opening of a separate Department of Pharmacy in 1933. When Chelsea and King's merged in 1985, the department became part of the Faculty of Life Sciences. From 1991 this was part of the Health Science division of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences, and from 1998 part of the School of Life Sciences.

A social studies course was first introduced in 1941 at the then Chelsea Polytechnic to help train Red Cross and civil defence workers for social work after the war. This led to the creation in 1970 of the Department of Sociology and Psychology that aimed to cover work in social and behavioural sciences, including a postgraduate course in Social Work Studies and a two-year MSc course, which also led to the Certificate of Qualification in Social Work. The Department Sociology and Psychology was closed at the end of 1983.

The Nuffield Foundation was created in 1943 with a benefaction from William Richard Morris, Lord Nuffield, of shares to the value of ten million pounds in Morris Motors Ltd. The annual income of the Foundation (in 1965, two and a half million pounds) was divided between various fields of activity including medical, biological and other scientific research, and the advancement of education. In December 1961 the Trustees of the Foundation agreed to set aside £250,000 towards a comprehensive programme to further the teaching of science and mathematics in schools. Details of the programme were publicly announced in the House of Commons by Sir David Eccles, Minister of Education. In physics, chemistry and biology a full-time organiser was appointed to lead the work of the section, each backed by a small consultative committee, and based at the Foundation's headquarters at Chelsea College, London. In 1964 the Trustees recognised that the development of O-level courses would make necessary the development of materials for A-level students. Plans were drawn up for programmes of development leading to A-level courses in biology, physics, chemistry, and physical sciences, using material drawn from both chemistry and physics. A-level courses were introduced into trial schools in September 1966 in chemistry, physical science and biology, and A-level examinations provided between 1968 and 1970 in those subjects and in physics. Working parties, variously composed but generally including a university professor, a university lecturer, a school teacher and a member of the headquarters team, served the projects. They aimed to provide expert advice on content and methods of presentation and to ensure that the approach adopted was suited to the needs of future university students.

The Nuffield Foundation A-level Physical Science course was planned as an alternative to sixth-form physics and chemistry. The exercise was initiated in 1965 under the control of the Nuffield Foundation Science Teaching Project and was organised by Dr John E Spice, Senior Chemistry Master at Winchester College. The first meeting of the Physical Sciences Group with physicists and chemists from the trials schools to discuss the content of the course and form of examination was held in March 1966. Members of the Group, who worked part-time, were responsible for planning and writing the course. The course began in sixteen 'trials schools' (Atlantic College; Bletchley Grammar School; Brighton, Hove and Sussex Grammar School; Cardinal Hinsley Grammar School in Bradford; Christ's Hospital; City of London Girls' School; Cleveland Grammar School in Redcar; Dauntsey's School; Dudley High School; Eastbourne Grammer School; Elizabeth College in Guernsey; Gordonstoun School; Marlborough College; Seaford College in Petworth; Watford Grammar School; and Winchester College) in September 1966 and the first candidates were examined in June 1968.

In 1965 the Nuffield Foundation Science Teaching Project (NFSTP) set aside £100,000 for a programme of curriculum development in Biology A-level (BAL). The work was directed by joint organisers, Mr J P Kelly (of NFSTP) and Mr W H Dowdeswell (of Winchester College), and was guided by a consultative committee under the chairmanship of Professor J H Burnett, Professor of Botany at Newcastle University, with Professor D R Newth, Professor of Zoology at Glasgow University, as vice-chairman. The trials scheme was initially devised for the period September 1966 to July 1968. The teaching materials developed for the scheme included the Teachers' Guide, the Laboratory Handbook and the Projects Handbook. The students received the Laboratory Guide and Practical Book, the Problem Book and Student Study Books and Papers.