Showing 15888 results

Authority record
Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Thames Navigation Committee was responsible for keeping the river clear of obstructions and maintaining and regulating locks, weirs, tow-paths and docks.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The City of London have had the right to control their own police force, anciently called 'the watch', from time immemorial. The Watch was controlled through the Watch and Ward Committee under the government of the Aldermen. Constables were appointed annually and were responsible for peace and good order. Constables were chosen from householders acting in rotation, although they often paid for a stand-in to be hired instead. Marshalmen and Night Watchmen were appointed to assist them. In 1693 an Act of Common Council was passed stating that 1000 Watchmen should be constantly on duty in the City from sunset to sunrise - this was called the 'Standing Watch'. In 1737 an Act was passed allowing the Common Council to pass an annual order settling the number of Watchmen and imposing taxes for their maintenance. This was known as the 'Nightly Watch Act'.

From around 1737 attempts were made to create an equivalent day force. For several years Extra Constables were sworn in to provide assistance to Ward Constables. In 1800 an experimental force of professional police was created to ensure policing during the day as well as at night. In 1834 the Common Council formed the Day Police Committee to send a deputation to the Court of Aldermen asking them to consider ways of providing a permanent day force. In 1838 the Common Council attempted to levy a rate to support a new combined police force for day and night, however, proposals were being put before Parliament to make the City of London part of the Metropolitan Police District. This was strongly opposed by the Corporation and in 1839 they put a Bill into Parliament which led to the 'Act for regulating the Police in the City of London'. This Act established that the Corporation should appoint a suitable person to be Commissioner of the Police Force of the City of London and that they should form a Police Committee to provide supplies for the force and maintain their buildings.

Corporation of London

The City of London has no charter of incorporation, and rights and privileges were granted by the Crown to the citizens under numerous titles - to the barons of London, to the mayor and citizens, or simply to the citizens - which titles were recited and confirmed in a charter of 1608 as names of incorporation. While the charters are rightly considered to be landmarks in civic history, they have to be read in conjunction with the customs of the period. As the first charter of William the Conqueror has reference to the civic laws of the time of Edward the Confessor, so many later charters simply confirm and elaborate on ancient customs and liberties.

In 1682-1683 the King's Bench issued a writ of Quo Warranto against the City of London which led to the Charter of the City being forfeited and the Corporation of London being dissolved, reducing the city to the legal status of a small village. Quo Warranto writs had often been used to regulate liberties and franchises, such as the right to hold a fair or a market. It was claimed that the City of London had breached its Charter by allowing the collection of tolls at market and by publishing a seditious petition against the King and Government - these abuses of the ancient liberties of the City were enough to justify issuing the writ. The overall aim of the King, Charles II, was to control the personnel and the government of the Corporation of London. After the Charter was forfeited the King issued a new one giving him the right to appoint and remove officers, including the Mayor, Sheriffs, Recorder, Common Sergeant, Justices of the Peace and Coroner, thus allowing him direct control over the government of the City. Between 1683 and 1688 the City of London was governed by a Royal Commission. In October 1688 King James II issued a Proclamation restoring the City Liberties as fully as before the Quo Warranto judgement. In 1690 a Special Committee of the House of Commons declared the judgement illegal and an Act of Parliament was passed restoring the City to its ancient rights, enacting that the City might prescribe to be a corporation and declaring that the Charter of the City of London should never be forfeited for any cause whatsoever.

Corporation of London

The Chamber of a city is the place where the funds of the corporation are kept and where moneys due are received - a kind of treasury. The Chamber is run by the Chamberlain, an officer who receives the rents and revenues owed to the corporation. The origin of the Chamber of London is obscure, but as soon as the citizens were sufficiently united to hold lands and tenements in common an officer must have been appointed to collect rents and disburse income for public welfare. The Chamber is first mentioned in 1275 and in the following year Stephen de Mundene is named as City Chamberlain. At first the Chamberlain was chosen by the Mayor and Aldermen, but by 1319 elections were introduced and the officer was chosen by the liverymen in Common Hall.

The Chamberlain's duties combined municipal finance with public banking. His main duty was as treasurer or banker of the City of London with custody of the monies of the Corporation, called the City's Cash, and other funds. Former Chamberlains were able to keep for themselves profits derived from interest on the cash! The Chamberlain also collects the rents of all Corporation properties and makes payments on behalf of the Corporation including salaries and pensions. He also invests money, is responsible for insurance, the preparation of tax returns and production of reports and statistics.

Additionally, the Chamberlain was the Accountant General of the Court of Orphans (see CLA/002) and held all money belonging to the orphans on which he allowed interest. For this purpose the Chamberlain held a Common Seal, first mentioned in 1396. He was also the occasional collector of taxes for the London area, particularly those granted to the City by the monarchy in return for loans. The Coal Duty for reconstruction of public buildings after the Great Fire was paid into the Chamber, as was any money borrowed by the City. The Chamberlain was also treasurer of any charitable funds organised by the City.

The Chamberlain's Court administers applications and admissions to the City Freedom, liaises with the City Livery Companies and advises the Corporation, Livery Companies and correspondents on various aspects of the City Freedom, including precedent and custom. The Court was also responsible for the admission of apprentices, see COL/CHD/AP.

Corporation of London

The acceleration of population growth in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries coupled with the Industrial Revolution massively increased the number of people living in urban areas - in 1891 a quarter of the country's population lived in London. Accommodation for the urban poor was usually crowded tenements with poor sanitation and no amenities. This state of affairs gradually attracted press attention, with observers expressing moral indignation at the conditions in which people were forced to live as well as fear that such slums would spread disease and social uprisings might occur. Various Acts of Parliament were introduced in an attempt to control the problem, such as the Lodging Houses Act of 1851 which permitted local authorities to erect and repair lodging houses, the Labouring Classes Dwelling Houses Act of 1866 which extended local authority powers to provide housing for the labouring classes, and the Artisans and Labourers Dwellings Acts of 1868 and 1875 which permitted local authorities to close, demolish and improve unfit dwellings. Unfortunately none of these Acts provided any subsidy for the local authorities and few acted on them. It was still not widely accepted that the local authority had any part to play in housing provision. Additionally, the new housing built to replace slums was often for the artisan class meaning that the poorest inhabitants of the demolished slum were displaced with nowhere to live. Nevertheless, the Corporation of London embarked on several housing projects: the Corporation Buildings on Farringdon Street, built in 1865, were the earliest council housing scheme.

In 1884 the Royal Commission on the Housing of the Poor examined sanitary conditions, public health, the availability of accommodation, rents, the cost of living and building costs. The Commission produced evidence showing that slums were not inhabited only by the criminal or destitute but by hard working, otherwise respectable families forced to live in such conditions by high rents and lack of housing. The Commission recommended legislation and the Housing of the Working Classes Act of 1885 was passed, enabling municipal bodies to provide and improve housing for the working population and providing low interest loans to encourage construction. An addition to the Act in 1890 gave local authorities the power of compulsory purchase of land, allowing them to provide housing other than on a replacement basis following slum clearance.

After the First World War it was acknowledged that there was a housing shortage, and that the housing provided had to be suitable for returning soldiers - 'Homes for Heroes' became a popular slogan. Local authorities were the obvious vehicle for that provision and subsidies were provided to encourage the building of half a million homes in three years. The Housing and Town Planning Act of 1919 encouraged revolutionary new standards of building including indoor toilets, a bathroom, separate cooking areas, hot water, gas and open spaces around the homes. Unfortunately this proved too expensive and the subsidies were withdrawn: in the 1923 Housing Act standards of building were lowered. The 1930 Housing Act encouraged local authorities to focus on more slum clearance but made it a requirement to re-house everyone displaced by the clearance.

A similar crisis in housing occurred after the Second World War, when nearly four million homes were destroyed or damaged by enemy action. Local authorities were again used as instruments for housing provision. The Government set local targets and used administrative controls to ensure that their plans were followed. Housing provision by local authorities only increased in the 1950s and by the 1970s local authorities accounted for the building of over 100,000 dwellings a year, as well as continuing slum clearance projects.

Corporation of London

The Guildhall has had a library since 1425, founded as part of a bequest by Mayor Richard Whittington. However, in 1550 the books were removed by the Duke of Somerset for his palace in the Strand and all but one of the original books is now lost. The survivor is a late 13th century Latin Bible. In 1828 a new Guildhall Library was established with the remit to collect material relating to the history and topography of the City of London, Southwark and Middlesex, including prints and drawings. This library was quite small and was rebuilt in 1873. In 1940 the library was hit by enemy action and 25,000 volumes were lost to the subsequent fire, with thousands more affected by water damage.

The collection is now of designated national and international importance and strengths include works on the history of London, English law reports, wine and food (including the Elizabeth David Collection), clocks and clockmakers (including the library of the Clockmaker's Guild), business history, marine history (material deposited by Lloyds of London), The Gardeners' Company collection (historic books on gardening), The Fletchers' Company collection (books on archery), the Gresham College collection (17th and 18th century music and early travel and exploration), the Cock Collection (material on Sir Thomas More), the Charles Lamb Society collection, the Chapman Bequest (19th century plays), the Hamilton Bequest (18th and 19th century plays), the Pepys Collection (Samuel Pepys) and a collection of 18th, 19th and 20th century books on shorthand.

Corporation of London

The first recorded Mayor of London was Henry Fitz-Ailwyn in 1189. Since then, some 700 men and one woman have over the centuries held the position of chief officer of the City of London. The most famous of them all is Dick Whittington, who held office three times, in 1397, 1406 and 1419. Contrary to popular belief, Dick Whittington was not a poor, ill-treated orphan who managed against all the odds to work his way up to Lord Mayor. Coming from a wealthy family, Richard Whittington had a successful business and civic career before he became Lord Mayor. As for the black cat which supposedly helped him found his fortune, no-one is quite sure how this part of the myth grew up! The fact is that Dick Whittington carved out a successful business career in a very practical way as a mercer (dealer in costly fabrics such as silk), wool merchant and royal financier.

The Lord Mayor has throughout the centuries played a vital role in the life of the City of London and continues to do so today. In the City, the Lord Mayor ranks immediately after the sovereign and acts as the capital's host in Guildhall and Mansion House, his official residence. On behalf of the City and the nation he carries out numerous engagements at home and abroad. Although in former years a person could become Lord Mayor as many times as the electorate would vote him in - Dick Whittington being such an example - nowadays one year of such demanding activity is considered enough.

The right of citizens to elect their own Mayor dates from the Charter granted by King John to the City in 1215. The election of Lord Mayor is held at the end of September each year in Guildhall. The assembly, known as Common Hall, consists of all liverymen of at least one year's standing together with certain high officers of the City. All aldermen who have served the office of sheriff and who have not already been Lord Mayor are eligible.

The Lord Mayor's household includes staff based at Mansion House, such as the Private Secretary, Researcher, Speechwriter, Events Manager and Keeper of the House.

Corporation of London

The office of Sheriff is of greater antiquity than any other in the City of London and is mentioned in Anglo Saxon laws of the seventh century. The Sheriffs, alongside Wicreves and Portreeves, exercised the King's authority over the citizens, collected royal revenue and enforced royal justice. Henry I granted the City the right to choose their own Sheriff in 1132, together with the right to choose the Sheriff of Middlesex. The two sheriffs held office jointly as the Sheriffs of London and Middlesex. The right to appoint the Middlesex sheriff was lost in 1888, although the City continued to elect two sheriffs for the City of London. At the same date the fee formerly payable to the Exchequer was redeemed by the Corporation so that all estate and interest in the office of Sheriff belonged to the Corporation and all fees from the shrievalty were received by the City. At first sheriffs were elected on St Matthew's Day (21 September) but it was advanced to 1 August in 1538 and later to Midsummer Day. The office was held for a year and no person who had served as sheriff once was eligible to serve again. In 1385 the Common Council stipulated that every Mayor must first serve as Sheriff to test his suitability for the post.

The sheriffs were expected to attend the Lord Mayor in the discharge of his official functions and to join him in works of charity and at events. They attended the Courts of Aldermen and Common Council as well as Common Hall and the Court of Husting. They were Execution Officers at the Central Criminal Court and had to be in attendance to carry out directions given by the Judges. They also had to attend the Sessions to see the Judges into Court, and be present when a capital sentence was passed. The sheriff was also required to wait upon the Sovereign and ascertain the royal will and pleasure as to the reception of addresses from the Corporation. The sheriff also presented petitions from the Corporation to the House of Commons.

The modern sheriffs are elected on Midsummer's Day (24 June) by the City livery companies. Their duties remain similar to those of their historical predecessors, including attending the Lord Mayor in carrying out his official duties, attending the sessions at the Central Criminal Court in the Old Bailey and presenting petitions from the City to Parliament at the Bar at the House of Commons.

Corporation of London

The City Surveyor is responsible for the construction and management of various City non-residential properties, including those properties belonging to Bridge House estates and City Lands estates.

Corporation of London

The division of the City of London into wards is confirmed in the earliest written records and was considered fundamental to municipal organisation. The ward was an administrative division of the City and each ward was managed by an Alderman. In 1206 the total number of wards was recorded as 24, although by 1550 this had increased to 26 with the division of Farringdon into two wards and the addition of Bridge Without covering the area of Southwark. In the present day there are 25 wards. Each ward held a court called the Wardmote which had a wide jurisdiction for the preservation of the peace and had the power to inflict appropriate punishments. A synopsis of civic regulations was read annually at the Wardmote and a special inquest jury was appointed to report on breaches of regulation, unlicensed victuallers, defective weights, fraudulent traders and other complaints of the inhabitants of the ward. Gradually the municipality took over many of these duties and election of officers became the major concern of the Wardmote, although local problems can still be brought to the attention of the Court of Aldermen.

Wardmotes are held annually for the constitutents of a ward to meet their representative, raise concerns and ask questions. Elections for Common Councilmen are held every 4 years.

The 25 wards of the City of London are: Aldersgate, Aldgate, Bassishaw, Billingsgate, Bishopsgate, Bread Street, Bridge, Broad Street, Candlewick, Castle Baynard, Cheap, Coleman Street, Cordwainer, Cornhill, Cripplegate, Dowgate, Farringdon Within, Farringdon Without, Langbourn, Lime Street, Portsoken, Queenhithe, Tower, Vintry and Walbrook.

Corporation of London

Holborn Viaduct was begun in 1863 and finished in 1869; designed by William Heywood, the City Surveyor. It bridged the valley of the Fleet river and connected Holborn with Newgate Street. As part of the construction, Holborn Circus, Charterhouse Street and St Andrew's Street were also built.

Corporation of London

Mansion House has been the official residence of the Lord Mayor of London since 1753. It includes the Justice Room where the Mayor held a Magistrates' Court. To this end, incorporated into the fabric of the building are 11 holding cells, including 'the birdcage' for female prisoners.

The final sitting of the Mansion House Justice Room took place on 25 July 1991. It was then amalgamated with the Guildhall Justice Room to form the City of London Magistrates' court, with new premises at 1 Queen Victoria Street, EC4, opened by the Lord Chancellor on 13 Nov 1991.

Corporation of London

A Magistrates' Court was held in the Guildhall Justice Room.

The Justice Room and offices were over built by William Rolfe for £2,900. The contract was awarded in 1795, the rooms completed and furnished by 1798. 5 Church Passage was appropriated to the Justice Room in 1858.

Corporation of London

Spitalfields Market dates to the thirteenth century, when the market was held in a field next to St Mary Spittel Church near Bishopsgate. In 1682, King Charles II granted John Balch a Royal Charter that gave him the right to hold a market on Thursdays and Saturdays in or near Spital Square. For the next 200 years, the market supplied fresh fruit and vegetables, becoming known for the sale of home-grown produce, which was being traded there six days a week.

By 1876, a former market porter called Robert Horner bought a short lease on the market and started work on a new market building, which was completed in 1893. In 1920, the Corporation of London acquired direct control of the market, extending the original buildings some eight years later.

For the next 60 years, Spitalfields' expanded and the traffic congestion in the surrounding narrow streets became difficult to manage. The market was forced to move and in May 1991 it reopened in Leyton.

Corporation of London

A cattle market was first founded at Islington in 1833, but it proved unpopular and was not well attended, shoppers preferring to use Smithfield Market. However, Smithfield had become too large to be contained within its site. In 1852 the Smithfield Market Removal Act was passed and by 1855 the Corporation of London had purchased 75 acres of land at Copenhagen Fields in Islington, to be the site of the new Metropolitan Cattle Market for the sale of live cattle. The new market incorporated pens for cattle, sheep, calves and pigs as well as sheds for lairage and a dead meat market.

The market was discontinued on 1 Jan 1964 under the City of London (Various Pavers) Act 1963 Part II s. 5(1).

Corporation of London

In May 1811 a Bill was passed for the construction of a new bridge to cross the Thames about a quarter of a mile west of London Bridge, and the Southwark Bridge Company was formed. The Company pushed ahead with the construction of Southwark Bridge despite opposition from the City of London and the Thames Conservatory Board, who did not consider it necessary. The bridge was begun in 1813 and opened at midnight on 24 March 1819, designed by Sir John Rennie. The bridge was not popular and was underused, despite the congestion on nearby London and Blackfriars Bridges.

In 1864 Bridge House Estates began leasing the bridge, and they purchased it in 1866 with the support of a Parliamentary Bill 'to facilitate the traffic of the metropolis by improving the communication across the River Thames'. They removed the toll charges which increased traffic, but poor access roads and the steep, narrow shape meant that the bridge was still underused. Bridge House Estates decided to rebuild the bridge and provide better service roads. Work began in 1913 but was delayed by the First World War. The present bridge was completed in 1921.

Corporation of London

In June 1883 the Coal, Corn and Finance Committee of the Corporation of London decided that the construction of some new means of communication across the Thames below London Bridge was essential, since the population of London east of London Bridge had expanded to 39% of the overall population of the metropolis, but they were served only by wharf-men and ferries. The Bridge House Estates Committee were asked to look into the matter and a Bill was presented to Parliament.

In March 1884 a Select Committee of House of Commons, convened to consider the matter, suggested that a low level bridge should be constructed at Little Tower Hill. The Bridge House Estates Committee began researching the best type of bridge, even visiting Europe to see different bridges in use. Eventually architect Horace Jones and engineer John Wolfe Barry were appointed to oversee construction and work began April 1886. The bridge was completed in August 1894.

Corporation of London

The Mayor's Court developed as an adjunct to the Court of Husting (see CLA/023) as a result of business overflowing from that court. The first court roll dates to 1298 although proceedings were probably taking place before this, from around 1280. The Mayor's Court's main jurisdiction was to enforce the customs of London, including mercantile actions. The court could sit on any day.

Corporation of London

Newgate Prison was founded by King Henry II in 1188 and was originally part of the gatehouse at Newgate. It was enlarged in 1236, rebuilt in 1423 with money donated by Lord Mayor Dick Whittington and burned down and was rebuilt in 1666. In 1399 Henry IV granted custody of the gates of London, with their attached prisons, to the citizens of London. Newgate ceased to be used as a prison in 1877. The building was demolished and the land used for an extension to the Old Bailey, opened in 1902.

Newgate was the most notorious of London's prisons. It was reserved for the worst of criminals, most of whom were under the death sentence. It was renowned for overcrowding, lack of air and water, and epidemics of gaol fever in which many prisoners and officials died.

Corporation of London

The Court of Requests was constituted by an Act of Common Council of 1518, under which Commissioners were appointed to hear cases for the recovery of small debts. Its jurisdiction was confirmed by Acts of Parliament until it was transferred to the Sheriffs' Courts in 1847.

Corporation of London

Southwark was granted to the citizens of London by a charter of Edward III in 1327, following a petition from the citizens because felons and thieves escaped the City into Southwark where they could not be followed. Quarter Sessions were held for the Town and Borough of Southwark on days fixed by the Recorder for the transaction of ordinary sessions business. The Lord Mayor, two Aldermen and the Recorder had to be present to hold the court. The High Bailiff and his officers were also required to attend.

Quarter Sessions were courts of limited criminal and civil jurisdiction and of appeal, held quarterly before the recorder in boroughs. They were abolished in 1972. The Recorder was a person with legal knowledge appointed by the mayor and aldermen to record the proceedings of their courts and the customs of the city, his oral statement of these being taken as the highest evidence of fact.

Corporation of London

General and Quarter Sessions were courts of limited criminal and civil jurisdiction and of appeal, held quarterly before a Justice of the Peace in counties or the recorder in boroughs. They were abolished in 1972.

The City of London Sessions were held in the Sessions House in the Old Bailey, adjoining Newgate gaol. The Lord Mayor, Aldermen, Recorder and Common Serjeant were declared to be Justices of the Peace and given the power to try felonies, trespasses and other misdemeanours.

Corporation of London

The City of London have had the right to control their own police force, anciently called 'the watch', from time immemorial. The Watch was controlled through the Watch and Ward Committee under the government of the Aldermen. Constables were appointed annually and were responsible for peace and good order. Constables were chosen from householders acting in rotation, although they often paid for a stand-in to be hired instead. Marshalmen and Night Watchmen were appointed to assist them. In 1693 an Act of Common Council was passed stating that 1000 Watchmen should be constantly on duty in the City from sunset to sunrise - this was called the 'Standing Watch'. In 1737 an Act was passed allowing the Common Council to pass an annual order settling the number of Watchmen and imposing taxes for their maintenance. This was known as the 'Nightly Watch Act'.

From around 1737 attempts were made to create an equivalent day force. For several years Extra Constables were sworn in to provide assistance to Ward Constables. In 1800 an experimental force of professional police was created to ensure policing during the day as well as at night. In 1834 the Common Council formed the Day Police Committee to send a deputation to the Court of Aldermen asking them to consider ways of providing a permanent day force. In 1838 the Common Council attempted to levy a rate to support a new combined police force for day and night, however, proposals were being put before Parliament to make the City of London part of the Metropolitan Police District. This was strongly opposed by the Corporation and in 1839 they put a Bill into Parliament which led to the 'Act for regulating the Police in the City of London'. This Act established that the Corporation should appoint a suitable person to be Commissioner of the Police Force of the City of London and that they should form a Police Committee to provide supplies for the force and maintain their buildings.

In 1911 it was decided to form Police Reserves to cope with any civil disturbances which might arise, and to avoid recourse to military assistance. Two reserves to the City Police were then formed: the first Police Reserve, consisting of pensioners from the regular police prepared to rejoin when required in time of emergency; and the second, or Special Police Reserve (later renamed the Special Constabulary), consisting of citizens of suitable age and physical fitness, who would register their names as willing to undertake to serve as special constable in the event of an emergency arising to require their services. The registered members were formed into divisions, and provisional arrangements made for calling out and swearing them in emergency arose. In 1939 the strength of the Special was 2014. Many members of the Special Constabulary undertook full time police duties during the war, temporarily becoming members of the branch of the Civil Defence organisation known as the Police War Reserve.

Corporation of London

The Honourable the Irish Society owes its existence to James I's policy of settling or 'planting' Ulster with English and Scottish Protestants, a policy which the Corporation of the City of London and the London Livery Companies were somewhat reluctantly compelled to administer.

Originally established by the City of London's Court of Common Council on 30 January 1609/10, the Irish Society was formally incorporated by the royal charter of 29 March 1613 which also gave to the Society grants of lands and privileges in the newly constituted county of Londonderry. Apart from a period during which the Society's charter was suspended (1638-1657), the Irish Society has continued to operate ever since, and still has interests in Londonderry and Coleraine.

The Irish Society is appointed each year at the first Common Council meeting after 2 February, and comprises a Governor (always an Alderman and ex-Lord Mayor of the City of London), Deputy Governor (always a Common Councilman of the City of London) and a Court of Assistants, chosen from amongst the Court of Common Council of the City of London. All administrative matters were, until 1992, and have been again since 1994, dealt with by a Secretary based in London, and a General Agent based in Northern Ireland. The Irish Society has always had its administrative centre (the Irish Chamber) at or near the Guildhall of the City of London. Prior to the completion of the purpose-built Irish Chamber in Guildhall Yard (built 1824-1825, first used 1826), the administrative offices and archive stores were over the Guildhall Porch. In 1992, on the sale of the Irish Chamber, the Society's Secretary moved to the former premises of the Guildhall Justice Room near to Guildhall, and for a short period before the appointment of a new Secretary, some of the central administration was transferred to the Corporation of London's Town Clerk's Department.

The Irish Society always had a tradition of care of its administrative records, and many early volumes exhibit early 19th century repair methods. Although such methods are not up to present standards, they do show a willingness to take measures to preserve the archives, some series of which are remarkably complete. By an unfortunate quirk of fate, the Irish Society's very care of its archives was to prove disastrous, when, as a result of building work in the then Irish Chamber over the Guildhall Porch in February 1786, the archives were carefully sealed, and removed for safekeeping to the Chamber of London's strongroom on the north-east side of Guildhall. A fire broke out amongst other building works on the north side of Guildhall, and a great many of the Chamber's and the Irish Society's archives were destroyed or (like the Great Parchment Book) badly damaged.

Corporation of London

The Lieutenancy of the City of London in its modern form was founded by an Act of Parliament in 1662. Its antecedents include a Commission of Lieutenancy of 1617 (which was issued to the Lord Mayor, eight Aldermen and the Recorder), and the Committee for Martial Causes which was a committee of the Common Council. Under the Act of 1662 the Lieutenants for the City of London were commissioned to levy the trained bands and to raise a Trophy Tax for defraying the necessary charges and incidental expenses of the Commission. The Lieutenancy had multifarious responsibilities in connection with the trained bands and the auxiliaries (later the London militia) including the appointment of officers, conduct and discipline, training and exercise, pay, equipment and recruitment. The militia was of consequence not only during periods when invasion was feared, but also had an important public order role. Since 1872 the Lieutenancy has ceased to commission officers in the auxiliary forces; instead commissions have been issued by the Sovereign. The Commissioners' responsibility for the militia ended in 1907 when the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act of that year converted the various battalions of the militia into units of the Army Reserve, and the Royal London Militia became thereafter the 7th Battalion Royal Fusiliers.

The second element of the 1662 Act, the raising and spending of the Trophy Tax was a major concern of the Lieutenants. The tax was levied about once every three years. The Lieutenancy assessed the Trophy Tax on the wards but 'the Common Council for each ward' apportioned it among the individuals. Having been collected, the Trophy Tax accounts were certified by the London Quarter Sessions of the Peace and printed in the City accounts for the year it was laid before the Justices. The tax was used to fund the auxiliaries and the militia. In particular it financed the accomodation for the staff and headquarters of the militia. For the period 1796 to 1801 the militia headquarters were housed in the building which formerly had been Surgeon's Hall. After the militia was disembodied in 1801 the Lieutenants decided that the building was 'a very heavy and unnecessary expense' so the building was sold back to the City in March 1803. Later a new Militia Headquarters was built in 1825 in Bunhill Row on land set aside in the Artillery Ground, but changing circumstances necessitated the move to smaller premises at 23 Euston Square around 1837. However a larger headquarters for the militia was deemed necessary again in the 1850s. The new building was built on a portion of the Artillery Ground and was completed in 1857. Known as Finsbury Barracks, it was occupied by the Quartermaster and staff of the Royal London Militia. In 1907 when the Royal London Militia became the 7th Battalion Royal Fusiliers the Lieutenancy ceased to have responsibility for this unit, but continued to pay for the upkeep of Finsbury barracks where the unit had its headquarters. Nowadays Finsbury Barracks houses units of the Territorial Army Volunteer Reserve, including elements of the Honourable Artillery Company.

The Trophy Tax was used also for making grants to further the aims of the auxiliary and volunteer forces of the City. For example in 1733 the Lieutenancy granted £500 for the building of Armoury House, the headquarters of the Honourable Artillery Company. The plans and specification submitted by the Artillery Company survive in the Lieutenancy's papers. In 1924 the Lieutenancy was empowered by the Auxiliary Air Force Act to apply the proceeds of the Trophy Tax to the Auxiliary Air Force of the City of London, thus widening the powers of the Commissioners. The present day Lieutenancy continues to use the Trophy Tax to make grants to the City of London Territorial Army Volunteer Reserve for example for recruiting campaigns, additional training facilities, competitions and charitable work associated with the Reserve.

Corporation of London

The school was founded by William Ward (1797-1881) of Brixton who was a prosperous manufacturer. Upon his death in 1881, Ward bequeathed £20,000 to the City of London for building and maintaining a high school for girls. An act of parliament, Ward's City of London School for Girls Act, received the Royal Assent in 1885 and a site was chosen in the City of London at Carmelite Street.

In 1892, a scheme was drawn up by in the High Court of Justice 'For the establishment of a High School for Girls...by the 'Mayor and Commonalty and Citizens of the City of London'. The scheme set out that the Mayor Aldermen and Commons of the City of London 'shall exercise a general control over the Institution, and shall make such Rules and Regulations, for the conduct and management thereof'.

The school's first head mistress was Miss Alice Blagrave and the school was officially opened on 13 September 1894 with 53 students enrolled. By 1937, the school became overcrowded as enrolment increased to 360 students. In 1939, the school was extended into a building on Tudor Street. The expansion allowed an increase in accommodation to 400 students.

During the Second World War staff and pupils were evacuated to Ashtead, Surrey in September 1939 and then to Keighley, Yorkshire from October 1940 until 1943. The school re-opened in Carmelite Street in September, 1943.

In 1962, plans were made for the school to be moved to the proposed new Barbican development. A ceremony was held on 29 March 1965 for the laying of first foundation stone and the school was officially opened by HRH Princess Alexandra on 19 November 1969.

The school celebrated its centenary in 1994 with a visit from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, who opened a new part of the building.

The first school leaver's decided to start an Old Girl's Association and on 29 July 1896, the first general meeting took place. The City of London Old Girl's Association also known as CLOGA, organises events such as school reunions and enables former students to maintain relationships with each other. It also raises scholarship funds for prospective students. The Old Girl's had a large reunion party as part of the schools centenary celebration, 1994 and about 600 former students attended. In the same year, the Old Girl's produced a cabaret about the history of the school entitled 'An Historical Extravaganza - The Talk of the City'.

Corporation of London

The Royal Exchange was built at the expense of Sir Thomas Gresham as a centre of commerce for the City of London. It was opened in January 1571 by Queen Elizabeth I who awarded the building its Royal title. In his will dated 1575 Gresham left equal parts of the Royal Exchange to the Corporation of London and the Mercers' Company upon various trusts. One was that the Corporation should pay £50 a year to lecturers in divinity, astronomy, music and geometry; and the Mercers' Company should make similar payments to lecturers in law, physic and rhetoric. He also left his house in Bishopsgate Street on the understanding that the lecturers would occupy the house and read their lectures there. The house was soon renamed Gresham College and became a centre of learning from which grew the Royal Society, founded in 1662, which met at Gresham College until 1710.

In 1768 the Crown purchased the site of the College for a new Excise Office, and provided that the salaries of the professors should be doubled to compensate them for the loss of their lodgings. A new College was erected at the corner of Gresham Street and Basinghall Street, near Moorgate, in 1842 and was enlarged in 1913. The College moved to Barnard's Inn Hall, Holborn, in 1991 and still runs a programme of free lectures.

In 1596 the Corporation of London and the Mercers' Company appointed committees to control the estates and carry out the directions of the will. These committees sat together as the Joint Grand Gresham Committee.

Corporation of London

The City of London Freemen's Houses were built in the 1830s as the Reform Almshouses. They came under the control of the Corporation of London in 1848 and have been known since then as the London Almshouses or Freemen's Houses.

Rogers' Almshouses were first built in Hart Street, Cripplegate, by the executors of Robert Rogers in 1616. In 1856 the Corporation rebuilt the almshouses in Brixton on land adjoining the London Almshouses.

The Royal Hospitals were obtained by the Corporation following the dissolution of the monasteries and seizure of monastic property. The hospitals included St Bartholomew's, Bethlem, the Greyfriars (Christ's Hospital), St Thomas's and Bridewell.

As the Port of London Health Authority, the Corporation of London built the Denton Isolation Hospital (the Port of London Sanitary Hospital) at Denton, Gravesend, Kent in 1883, to treat cases of infectious disease coming into the Thames on incoming ships. Diseases treated there included typhoid, smallpox, chicken pox, measles, scarlet fever, enteric fever, malaria, bubonic plague and dysentery. This hospital was handed over to the National Health Service in 1948.

Corporation of London

Bethlem Royal Hospital was founded in 1247 as the priory of St Mary of Bethlehem. By the fourteenth century it was already treating the insane. In 1547 it came under the control of the City of London as one of the five 'Royal' hospitals seized during the dissolution of the monasteries and re-founded as a secular institution. The Corporation turned Bethlem into a lunatic asylum and it was commonly known as 'Bedlam'. The hospital was put under joint administration with Bridewell Hospital until 1948.

In 1676 the hospital moved to Moorfields, in a baroque building designed by Robert Hooke. The hospital moved to its third site in 1815, at St George's Fields, Southwark, part of which still survives as the Imperial War Museum.

Bethlem moved to a site in Surrey in 1930. With the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948, Bethlem was split from Bridewell and joined with the Maudsley Hospital Camberwell, to form a single hospital. In 1999 they were formed into the South London and Maudsley NHS Trust, which provides mental health services throughout Lambeth, Southwark, Lewisham and Croydon as well as specialist services across the UK.

Corporation of London

The Royal Hospitals were obtained by the Corporation of London following the dissolution of the monasteries and seizure of monastic property. The hospitals were St Bartholomew's, Bethlem, Christ's Hospital, St Thomas's and Bridewell.

Corporation of London

Emanuel Hospital was founded in 1600 after a bequest by Lady Anne Dacre who directed her executors to buy land at Tothill Fields, Westminster, and build a hospital or almshouse for 20 poor people and 20 poor children. The hospital would be supported by revenue from Brandburton manor and estates in Yorkshire. The executors were to appoint the governors of the hospital during their lifetimes, after which the responsibility would fall to the Mayor and Aldermen of the City of London. The hospital was rebuilt in 1701 and extended in 1728. In 1794 an Act of Parliament was obtained by the Lord Mayor to increase the number of people who could benefit from the hospital, and in that year 10 pensioners were selected for the hospital and the number of children was increased. In 1873 the educational part of the hospital was separated and joined other Westminster schools under the title 'United Westminster Schools'.

Corporation of London

The London Workhouse was built by the Corporation of the Poor, a body active between 1647 and 1660 which established the first workhouses in London. The workhouse was primarily used for the housing of neglected and vagrant children.

The workhouse was closed after an Act of Parliament in 1829 allowed the Governors to sell leases owned by the workhouse and to reinvest the money in other estates for the education and apprenticing of poor children. The funds were put towards the building of the City of London Freemen's Orphan School.

Corporation of London

The London Museum was founded in 1912 by the 2nd Viscount Esher and the 1st Viscount Harcourt. It was based in Kensington Palace and aimed to illustrate the history of London from the earliest times. The Guildhall Museum was founded in 1826 by the Corporation of London.

The Museum of London was established in 1975, when the London Museum and the Guildhall Museum merged. The new museum building is part of the Barbican complex. The Museum is jointly funded by the Greater London Authority and the City of London Corporation. It is governed by the Museum of London Acts, 1965 and 1986.

The Museum of London Group comprises the Museum of London at London Wall in the City of London; the Museum in Docklands on West India Quay, near Canary Wharf; the Museum of London Archaeology Service (MoLAS); and the London Archaeological Archive and Research Centre, (LAARC) located in Hackney.

Corporation of London

The Corporation of London were the patrons of certain parishes and thus had the right to collect tithes and administer benefices (ecclesiastical livings).

Corporation of London

The office of Alderman (like that of Sheriff) predates the Norman Conquest but the first mention of an Alderman of London by name is not until 1111 while the place-name Aldermanbury appears in 1128. Each Alderman was responsible for administration of a Ward, and was elected by their Ward. The position of Alderman was held for life. In the 12th and 13th centuries the Wards in the City of London are still mainly identified by the name of their Alderman although the first full list of Wards under permanent names such as Dowgate or Cornhill is dated 1285. The roots of municipal government in the City of London are thus found in the activities of the Aldermen in their Wards which in the medieval period provided such public services as existed. Working individually, or in co-operation, the power of the Aldermen grew as the corporate unity of the City of London developed and they exercised both administrative and judicial functions in what became the Court of Aldermen.

The main administrative work of the City is recorded in the proceedings of the Court of Aldermen until the latter half of the 17th century. Civic control of trade and industry, of the police and prisons, of hospitals and poor relief, of citizenship, the companies and the Freedom, of markets and the Thames, and of water supply, sanitation and building, was exercised largely by the Aldermen. In modern times the activities of the Court have been confined mainly to the regulation of the City Livery Companies, Freedom through the Companies, and the administration of justice and elections.

Corporation of London

The Aldermen were responsible for the administration of Wards, and were elected by their Ward. The position of Alderman was held for life. In the 12th and 13th centuries the Wards in the City of London are still mainly identified by the name of their Alderman although the first full list of Wards under permanent names such as Dowgate or Cornhill is dated 1285. The roots of municipal government in the City of London are thus found in the activities of the Aldermen in their Wards which in the medieval period provided such public services as existed. Working individually, or in co-operation, the power of the Aldermen grew as the corporate unity of the City of London developed and they exercised both administrative and judicial functions in what became the Court of Aldermen.

The Finance Committee regulated and passed all expenditure of the Court of Aldermen.

Corporation of London

The Aldermen were responsible for the administration of Wards, and were elected by their Ward. The position of Alderman was held for life. In the 12th and 13th centuries the Wards in the City of London are still mainly identified by the name of their Alderman although the first full list of Wards under permanent names such as Dowgate or Cornhill is dated 1285. The roots of municipal government in the City of London are thus found in the activities of the Aldermen in their Wards which in the medieval period provided such public services as existed. Working individually, or in co-operation, the power of the Aldermen grew as the corporate unity of the City of London developed and they exercised both administrative and judicial functions in what became the Court of Aldermen.

The Gaol Committee of the Court of Aldermen was responsible for the administration of prisons in London, including staff appointments, supply, works, finances and enquiries into escapes.

Corporation of London

The Aldermen were responsible for the administration of Wards, and were elected by their Ward. The position of Alderman was held for life. In the 12th and 13th centuries the Wards in the City of London are still mainly identified by the name of their Alderman although the first full list of Wards under permanent names such as Dowgate or Cornhill is dated 1285. The roots of municipal government in the City of London are thus found in the activities of the Aldermen in their Wards which in the medieval period provided such public services as existed. Working individually, or in co-operation, the power of the Aldermen grew as the corporate unity of the City of London developed and they exercised both administrative and judicial functions in what became the Court of Aldermen.

The General Purposes Committee of the Court of Aldermen is responsible for appointments to Committees, rota duties of Aldermen, charities, salaries of officers and the grant and increase of the liveries of City Companies.

Corporation of London

The Aldermen were responsible for the administration of Wards, and were elected by their Ward. The position of Alderman was held for life. In the 12th and 13th centuries the Wards in the City of London are still mainly identified by the name of their Alderman although the first full list of Wards under permanent names such as Dowgate or Cornhill is dated 1285. The roots of municipal government in the City of London are thus found in the activities of the Aldermen in their Wards which in the medieval period provided such public services as existed. Working individually, or in co-operation, the power of the Aldermen grew as the corporate unity of the City of London developed and they exercised both administrative and judicial functions in what became the Court of Aldermen.

The Magistracy Committee of the Court of Aldermen was appointed by the Court of Aldermen on 22 Jan 1952 to replace the Gaol Committee.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Airport Committee was formed to investigate the possibility of establishing an airport at Fairlop, Essex, on the site of a disused World War One airfield. The site was purchased by the Corporation in the 1930s, however, it was requisitioned by the Air Ministry during World War Two and RAF Fairlop was established. The station was closed in 1946 and is now part of the Hainault Forest Country Park.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Assessment (City of London Union) Committee was formed under the Union Assessment Committee Act of 1862, to consider the establishment of one assessment of all property in the City for Imperial, local and municipal taxation.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Barbican Arts Centre Joint Working Party was established in 1968 following a resolution of the Court of Common Council of 25 April 1968 which referred the report of Chamberlin, Powell and Bon on the proposed Barbican Arts Centre to the Barbican, Music, Library and Policy and Parliamentary Committees. The Music Committee already had its own Working Party to consider the proposals to create a theatre and concert hall in the newly developed Barbican, particularly with reference to the Royal Shakespeare Company and the London Symphony Orchestra being resident there, as agreed with the Corporation in February 1965 and March 1966 respectively: this Working Party seems first to have been appointed in July 1964, and then re-appointed in July 1967. In addition to members from the Barbican, Library, Music and Policy and Parliamentary Committees, the Chairman of the Library Committee and the Deputy Chairman of the Barbican Committee were added, and this newly constituted Barbican Arts Centre Joint Working Party held its first meeting on 7 June 1968. Its latest extant minutes are for 6 July 1970, and it appears to have ceased to exist then or shortly thereafter.

Corporation of London

The Barbican Committee was established by the Court of Common Council on 3 October 1957 and was renamed the Barbican Development Committee from 16 January 1975. The Committee was disbanded by resolution of the Common Council of 3 November 1983, with effect from January 1984. When it was first set up in 1957, the Committee's remit was to implement the redevelopment by the Corporation of London of the 25.05 acres of land south of the former street known as Barbican (which became Beech Street following redevelopment). Initial instructions to the Corporation's project architects, Chamberlin, Powell and Bon, were limited to preparing detailed proposals for this area, but subsequently the firm was instructed to collaborate closely with the City Planning Officer in the development of the area to the north of what became Beech Street as well. Large portions of both areas were then still derelict following enemy action during the Second World War. Chamberlin, Powell and Bon reported to Common Council on 28 May 1959 on both areas, and the report was referred to the Barbican Committee for consideration, with input from other Corporation Committees. From then on, the Barbican Committee was responsible for the redevelopment of both areas. From the Committee's renaming in 1975, its responsibilities were confined to the completion of the building work, and its responsibility for the management of all the completed residential premises was passed to the newly formed Barbican Management Committee with effect from 1 April 1975.

On the abolition of the Barbican Development Committee, its responsibilities for the Barbican Phase V (including the Barbican Centre) construction passed to the Barbican Centre Committee (COL/CC/BRC) with effect from January 1984. At the same time, the Barbican Development Committee's responsibilities relating to the final accounts relating to Barbican Phase V and other unresolved building contracts were transferred to the Barbican Contracts Working Party (COL/CC/BRW).

The Barbican development included large blocks of residential flats, as well as new premises for the Guildhall School of Music and Drama, the City of London School for Girls, Barbican Trade Centre and the Barbican Centre (referred to in the Committee records as the Barbican Arts Centre). The residency at the Barbican Centre of the Royal Shakespeare Company (1982-2002) and the London Symphony Orchestra was envisaged from an early stage, and both organisations were involved with the Committee in the planning of the Barbican Centre.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Coal, Corn and Finance Committee developed from numerous earlier committees concerned with the finances of the Corporation and the proceeds of the coal and corn duties. The coal duties, apart from the ancient right of metage (the duty paid for the official measuring of dry or liquid goods) were imposed in 1667 for rebuilding the City after the Great Fire, and were continued in order to repay the Corporation's debt to its orphans and other creditors. The duties were also used for various improvements and other purposes under Acts of Parliament. They were then transferred to the Metropolitan Board of Works and finally extinguished on the creation of the London County Council in 1889. The corn duties were surrendered in 1872 on consolidation that a similar duty was continued for thirty years to be applied solely for the preservation of open spaces. In consequence the Coal, Corn and Finance committee still manages certain open spaces such as Burnham Beeches. Its main responsibility, however, is to examine the income and expenditure of the City's Cash and to prepare estimates.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Air Raid Precautions (Emergency) Committee was appointed from 20 Apr 1939. It was designated the Civil Defence (Emergency) Committee from 18 Dec 1941.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The City Lands Committee was first appointed in 1592 and is responsible for the management of the corporate estates of the City, for maintaining properties, granting leases and enforcing covenants. The Bridge House Committee was responsible for the maintenance and letting of properties held by the Corporation for the upkeep of London Bridge and other bridges. In 1968 the City Lands Committee took over the investments part of the Bridge House Committee, while the responsibility for control and maintenance of bridges was transferred at the same time to the new Planning and Communications Committee. The City Lands Committee was therefore re-designated the City and Bridge House Estates Committee. In 1969 this was changed to "The City Lands and Bridge House Estates Committee".

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The City of London School was founded as a result of a bequest of John Carpenter, Town Clerk, for the education of poor boys born in the City of London, and established at Honey Lane Market in 1837. It was moved to the Victoria Embankment in 1882. It was administered by the City of London Schools Committee. In January 1970 the City of London Schools and Freemen's School Committees were amalgamated as the City of London Education Committee. In April 1973 this Committee was replaced by the Schools Committee and the Board of Governors took over the administration of the school.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Corporation of London was enabled to prevent the enclosure of much of Epping Forest, Essex, by reason of common rights which it acquired as a result of the purchase of land at Ilford for the City of London Cemetery in 1854. Eleven years of continuous work at law and in Parliament between 1871 and 1882 resulted in some 5,500 acres being saved as open space, 3,000 acres of which consisted of waste lands purchased by the Corporation from lords of the manors. The Epping Forest Act 1878 constituted the Corporation as Conservators, acting through a committee consisting of twelve persons nominated by the Court of Common Council and four verderers elected by the Commoners of the Forest. This committee, formerly the Epping Forest Committee, and now called the Epping Forest and Open Spaces Committee, today also undertakes the management of some of the other open spaces outside the City owned and administered by the Corporation. Historic buildings within the Forest also administered by the Corporation include Queen Elizabeth's Hunting Lodge, Chingford (restored 1993); the Temple, Wanstead Park and the Shelter at Honey Lane. The committee changed its name from Epping Forest and Open Spaces Committee to the Epping Forest and Commons Committee from November 2004.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

Emanuel Hospital was founded in 1600 after a bequest by Lady Anne Dacre who directed her executors to buy land at Tothill Fields, Westminster, and build a hospital or almshouse for 20 poor people and 20 poor children. The hospital would be supported by revenue from Brandburton manor and estates in Yorkshire. The executors were to appoint the governors of the hospital during their lifetimes, after which the responsibility would fall to the Mayor and Aldermen of the City of London. The hospital was rebuilt in 1701 and extended in 1728. In 1794 an Act of Parliament was obtained by the Lord Mayor to increase the number of people who could benefit from the hospital, and in that year 10 pensioners were selected for the hospital and the number of children was increased. In 1873 the educational part of the hospital was separated and joined other Westminster schools under the title 'United Westminster Schools'.

Corporation of London

The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.

The Special Finance Committee was formed by order of the Court of Common Council in July 1808. It handled general financial matters of the Corporation including the finances of the Chamber, recovery of debts, staff wages and expenses and accounts of cash recieved and paid out. From 1813 it was referred to as the Select Finance Committee.