Affichage de 15888 résultats

Notice d'autorité

G B Wood trained at Edinburgh and Manchester, later becoming senior house surgeon at Huddersfield Infirmary and practising on the Isle of Wight. MCh, MO at Jersey General Dispensary and Infirmary.

Jean-Baptiste Biot was born in Paris and educated at the Ecole Polytechnique. His fields of research included astonomy, the Earth's atmosphere, and light and optics, but he is best known for his work on electricity and magnetism; the Biot-Savart law in electromagnetics is named after him, and Felix Savart.

Born, 1872; graduated from Harvard Medical School,1902; assistant visiting physician for diseases of the skin in the Boston City Hospital, 1906; taught dermatology at Tufts Medical School, 1917; Professor of Dermatology, Tufts Medical School, 1929-1929; founder member and first Vice President of the New England Dermatological Society; died, 1929.

Born 1583 or 1854; Stanhope paid Secretary Winwood £10,000 for the barony of Shelford, 1616; Nottinghamshire commission of the peace; earldom of Chesterfield and in December, 1628; because of his royalist support he was sent to prison, 1643 and his lands were sequestered; had his allowance withdrawn by parliament, 1654; died, 1656.

The attribution of this MS. to Stanhope is based on the internal evidence of the entries: the first on fol. E.2. which speaks of a 'remedye for ranke Styans...tryed upon my owne childe Arthur Stanhope', the second on Fol. A.4. 'A Plaister for an Ague taught me by my Sonne Ferdinandos wife'. On A.3v the name of 'K. Chesterfield' appears and is presumably that of Stanhope's first wife, the daughter of Lord Francis Hastings, who died in 1636. On fol. B.2, is a reference to my Brother [in law] George Hastings.

Thomas Buzzard was educated at King's College Hospital and joined the British Army staff in the Crimea immediately after qualifying M.D. in 1855. On his return he made his career as a neurologist. In 1873 he became a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians; a brief biography, accordingly, is to be found in William Munk's The roll of the Royal College of Physicians of London ("Munk's Roll").

Sir William Herschel (1738-1822) was born in Hanover and came to England in 1757, where he taught music in Leeds, Halifax and Bath. He devoted himself to the study of mathematics and astronomy, built his own telescope in c 1773, and with it discovered the planet Uranus in 1781 (which he named 'Georgium Sidus' in honour of George III). He was appointed private astronomer to George III in 1782 and knighted in 1816, and is regarded as the virtual founder of sidereal science.

His sister Caroline Lucretia Herschel (1750-1848) discovered eight comets, receiving a salary from George III in 1787. She received the Astronomical Society's gold medal for her catalogue of Sir William Herschel's star clusters and nebulae, 1828, and was created an honorary member of the Society in 1835.

Sir John Frederick William Herschel (1792-1871), the son of Sir William Herschel, was a fellow of St John's College, Cambridge, and obtained his M.A. in 1816. With George Peacock (1791-1858) he translated Lacroix's Elementary Treatise on the Differential Calculus, and was elected FRS in 1813.

His son Alexander Stewart Herschel (1836-1907) was born in South Africa, and studied meteorology at the Royal School of Mines, London, 1861. He was professor of physics at Glasgow, 1866-1871 and at Durham College, Newcastle, 1871-1886. He reported on observation of meteors to the British Association, 1862-1881, observing a solar eclipse in Spain in 1905, and was elected FRS in 1884.

Lehmann , Hedwig , 1919-2002 , nurse

Hedwig ('Hedy') Lehmann was born 19 August 1919. She left her home in Hamburg, Germany, in 1939, aged 19. She was amongst the last groups of Jewish people to leave Nazi Germany whilst it was still possible to safely and legitimately do so. Entering England as a refugee she initially settled in Streatham, South West London, and spent some time learning English before studying to become a nurse. She married A W F Charlton in 1945. Hedy Lehmann qualified as a State Registered Nurse (SRN) and State Fever Nurse (SFN) and practised in nursing both before and after having a family. She died in Southall, Middlesex, on 16 Jun 2002.

Mourant was born on 11 April in 1904 in Jersey. He was educated at Victoria College, Jersey before winning a King Charles I Scholarship to Exeter College Oxford where he read Chemistry. He graduated with a first class degree in Chemistry (taking crystallography as his special subject) and in 1926 went on to do research under J.A. Douglas on the geology of the Channel Islands (D.Phil. 1931). In 1928 he was appointed Demonstrator in Geology at Leeds University and the following year was given a place on the Geological Survey of Great Britain mapping coal measures in Lancashire. He left in 1931. Mourant's interest in geology continued throughout his life and he continued to publish articles on geology alongside haematological and medical publications.

Mourant returned to Jersey and in 1933 established the Jersey Chemical Pathology Laboratory, which he ran for five years. He then returned to London, intending to pursue a career as a psychoanalyst. As part of the necessary preparation he underwent psychoanalysis himself and in 1939 began medical training at St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College, London. On the outbreak of war Mourant continued his medical training but when Jersey was occupied by the Germans in 1940 he lost contact with his family who remained on the island. During the period 1940-1945 Mourant played an active role in Channel Island exile groups.

Mourant graduated B.M. and B.Ch. in 1943 and held a number of House posts before his appointment in 1944 as Medical Officer in the National Blood Transfusion Service. Mourant had developed an interest in haematology during his medical training and during this period pursued research into blood serum. He discovered the antibody anti-e, thus helping to establish the three-factor theory of the Rhesus system, and the Lewis factor and shared in the discovery of the Kell factor. With R.R. Race and R.R.A. Coombs he went on to develop the antiglobulin test.

In 1945 Mourant took up a post as Medical Officer with the Galton Laboratory Serum Unit before in 1946 being appointed Director of the Medical Research Council (MRC)'s newly established Blood Group Reference Laboratory, based at the Lister Institute of Preventive Medicine, London. Mourant held this post to 1965. The Laboratory received international recognition in 1952 when the World Health Organisation named it as their International Blood Group Reference Laboratory. Mourant's interests were increasingly anthropological and his work on human blood group distribution world-wide saw publication of two major books: in 1953 the pioneering work The Distribution of Human Blood Groups and other Biochemical Polymorphisms and in 1958 The ABO Blood Groups and Maps of World Distribution. In 1952 Mourant was appointed Honorary Advisor (de facto Director) of the newly established Nuffield Blood Group Centre. It was administered by and housed in the Royal Anthropological Institute, reporting to its Blood Group Committee. From 1952 to 1962 the Centre was funded by the Nuffield Foundation but the MRC then took over responsibility for financing the Centre, which changed its name to the Anthropological Blood Group Centre.

In September 1965 Mourant retired from the Directorship of the Blood Group Reference Laboratory to become Head of the MRC's newly established Serological Population Genetics Laboratory (SPGL). This was established by the MRC as a unit that would combine the testing work undertaken in the Blood Group Reference Laboratory with the statistical and bibliographical work of the Anthropological Blood Group Centre, which was then amalgamated into the SPGL. The work of the SPGL was thus divided between two sections. The first was a testing laboratory, working principally for the Human Adaptability Section of the International Biological Programme (IBP). The second comprised the Anthropological Blood Group Centre that had been transferred to the SPGL, concentrating on preparing a second edition of The Distribution of the Human Blood Groups. The SPGL was based in premises rented by St Bartholomew's Hospital, London.

In 1971 the MRC announced that it was to close the SPGL. However, Mourant was anxious that the SPGL complete its work on The Distribution of the Human Blood Groups and other projects, including its work for the IBP. The MRC agreed to extend its support of the work on the distribution of human blood groups to 1973. Through assiduous fund-raising Mourant found support for the other projects and was able to see them through to completion. The SPGL finally closed in 1976. Mourant retired to the family home in Jersey where he continued to publish on haematology and physical anthropology as well as geology. Mourant was elected FRS in 1966. He died on 29 August 1994.

Charles Joseph Singer (MA, DM, D.Litt., Hon D.Sc., FRCP) was born on 2 November 1876 in London. He studied at University College London, and from 1896-99 he studied zoology at Oxford, graduating BA, BCh. In 1903 he qualified from St Mary's Hospital Medical School MRCS LRCP. He gained other degrees honours during his career: MA MD; FRCP; Honorary DSc. From 1904-1908 Singer held various hospital posts in England and abroad, including Sussex County Hospital; Brighton; Government House, Singapore; Abyssinia (Medical Officer to expedition); Malta and Salonica, where he returned during the First World War when he served with the RAMC.

Singer held various posts throughout his career: Registrar to the Cancer Hospital, London; Physician to Dreadnought Hospital; Lecturer in history of medicine at University College London, as well as work abroad, including Visiting Professor at University of California, Berkley.

He married Dorothea Waley Cohen, eldest daughter of Nathaniel L Cohen and Julia M Waley in 1910, with whom he was awarded the Sarton Medal of the History of Science Society of America.

He held a number of secretaryships and presidential posts, including Honorary Secretary of the Royal Society of Medicine (Historical Section), 1916-1919; President RSM (Historical Section), 1920-1922; President of Third International Congress of History of Medicine, 1922 and President of Académie Internationale d'Histoire des Sciences. He retired in 1942.

Charles Singer died on 10 June, 1960 at home in Par, Cornwall. Dorothea Singer died on 24 June, 1964.

Charles McMoran Wilson, Lord Moran of Manton (1882-1977) had a long and active life. He was a prominent figure in the medical world, firstly as Dean of St Mary's Hospital Medical School (1920-1945), when he was responsible for rebuilding the premises and promoting the school as an undergraduate honours school. During this period he contributed to the debate on medical education, notably in his article `The Student in Irons', published in the BMJ in March 1932. He was elected president of the Royal College of Physicians (RCP), London, in April 1941, narrowly defeating the traditionalist Lord Horder, and was re-elected annually until he stepped down in favour of Russell Brain in 1950. He promoted the influence of the RCP as an independent voice for the consultants in the negotiations over the introduction of the National Health Service. He was created a baron in the New Year honours of 1943 and made his maiden speech in June of that year in the debate on the Beveridge report. He spoke powerfully in many of the debates on the NHS and was also a member of the second Spens Committee, which devised the merit awards system for consultants. He was the first chairman of the Awards Committee from 1949 to 1962 and with his vice-chairman, Sir Horace Hamilton, travelled extensively every year, working on the detail of individual recommendations for awards.

In addition to his role in medical politics he published two influential books. The Anatomy of Courage, published in February 1945, a study of the psychological effects of war, was a result of his experiences as a medical officer in the First World War and his work on shell-shock at a stationary hospital in Boulogne and later in Cambridge, where he met his wife, Dorothy Dufton. Throughout the 1930s he lectured to army colleges on morale in war and eventually brought all these thoughts together in the course of the Second World War, when he was travelling with Winston Churchill as his doctor. It is probably as Winston Churchill's doctor, that Lord Moran is best remembered and his second book Winston Churchill: Struggle for Survival, published fifteen months after his famous patient's death, was the subject of much controversy about the ethics of a doctor publishing information about a patient.

For further biographical information see Churchill's Doctor : A Biography of Lord Moran, by Richard Lovell (London: Royal Society of Medicine, 1992).

Chain was born in 1906 in Berlin where his Russian-born father, an industrial chemist, had settled. Both his parents were Jewish. He graduated in chemistry and physiology from the Friedrich-Wilhelm University, Berlin, Germany in 1930 and undertook research in the chemical department of the Institute of Pathology at the Charité Hospital, Berlin, 1930-1933. He was a talented pianist and music competed with chemistry in his thoughts about a career. In 1933 Chain became one of the many refugees from Nazi Germany, finding refuge in Britain. From 1933 to 1935 he worked in Cambridge at the School of Biochemistry under Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins, moving in 1935 to the Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, Oxford. Here he took part in the research and development of penicillin for which he shared with A. Fleming and H.W. Florey the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1945. In 1948 he moved to the Istituto Superiore di Sanità, Rome, Italy as Scientific Director of the International Research Centre for Chemical Microbiology, remaining there until 1964 when, after protracted negotiations, he took up the Chair of Biochemistry at Imperial College, London. He retired in 1973 but retained Research Fellowships until his death in 1979. He was elected FRS in 1949 and knighted in 1969.

Born, 1895; Educated in Lausanne, Switzerland, 1910-1914; Studies medicine at St Mary's London, and becomes involved with Student Christian Movement, 1916-1922; sets up in general practice in Tavistock, 1922; Starts a Birth Control Clinic in Aldershot, 1932; Sets up the Aldershot and District Women's Welfare Centre and starts a Birth Control Clinic in Guildford, 1934; Sets up Sex Education Centre in Aldershot, 1936; Involved in the beginning of the Marriage Guidance Council, 1937; sets up private practice in Harley Street, 1937; Moves his practice from Harley Street to Baker Street, 1948; died, 1988.

Career summary: Born 6 June 1850, at Hornsey, son of J W Schäfer of Highgate and Hamburg; educated University College London (medal for Physiology). 1871 first Sharpey Scholar, University College London. 1874 Assistant Professor of Physiology, University College London. 1877 published A course of practical Histology. 1878 elected a Fellow of the Royal Society; married Maud Dixey. 1878-1881 Fullerian Professor, Royal Institution. 1883 Jodrell Professor, University College London; published his first researches in cerebral localisation. 1885 published Essentials of Histology. 1894 discovery with George Oliver of the effect of extract of the suprarenal gland. 1895-1900 General Secretary, British Association for the Advancement of Science. 1896 death of Maud Schafer, his first wife. 1897 awarded the Baly Medal by the Royal College of Physicians. 1898-1902 edited Advanced textbook of Physiology, to which he also contributed. 1899 elected to the Edinburgh Chair of Physiology. 1900 married Ethel Maude Roberts. 1902 awarded the Royal Medal by the Royal Society. 1903 gave papers on artificial respiration to the Royal Society of Edinburgh. 1908 founded the Quarterly Journal of Experimental Physiology and edited it until 1933. 1909 awarded the Distinguished Service Medal by the Royal Life-Saving Society (for the Schafer method' of artificial respiration). 1911 awarded the De Cyon Prize by the Accademia della Scienza, Bologna. 1912 President, British Association for the Advancement of Science: gave a controversial address onLife, its nature, origin and maintenance'; published Quain's Elements of Anatomy Vol II Pt I and Experimental Physiology. 1913 knighted; Lane Medical Lecturer, Stanford. 1915 death in action of his younger son Tom. 1916 published The endocrine organs; death of his elder son Jack at Jutland. c. 1916 death of elder daughter Marjory. 1918 added Sharpey to his name in memory of Professor William Sharpey. 1922 awarded the Neill Medal by the Royal Society of Edinburgh. 1923 President, International Congress of Physiology. 1924 awarded the Copley Medal by the Royal Society. 1927 published History of the Physiological Society; resigned his Chair at Edinburgh: became Emeritus Professor; Volume 23 of Quarterly Journal of Experimental Physiology produced in his honour with papers by his former pupils worldwide. Died 29 March 1935, aged 85.

Frederick Parkes Weber (1863-1962): born in London, son of Sir Hermann Weber MD FRCP and his wife Matilda, May 8 1863; attends Temple Grove School, East Sheen, 1874-1877; educated at Charterhouse School, 1877-1881; enters Trinity College Cambridge, 1882; BA (Cantab) Medical education at St Bartholomew's, 1886; MB BCh (Cantab), 1889; MRCP, 1890; MD (Cantab), 1892; Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, 1891; Appointed Physician at the German Hospital, Dalston Becomes member of Pathological Society of London, 1894; FRCP, 1898; Physician to Mount Vernon Hospital for Diseases of the Chest, 1899-1911; First edition of Aspects of Death and correlated aspects of life in art, epigram and poetry, 1910; First Mitchell Lecturer, RCP, 1921; Marries Dr Hedwig Unger-Laissle; Fourth edition of Aspects of Death, 1933; Awarded the Moxon Gold Medal of the RCP for 'distinguished observation and research in clinical medicine', 1930; Some thoughts of a doctor, 1935; More thoughts of a doctor, 1938-1947; Gives his papers to the Wellcome Historical Medical Library, 1958; Elected to the Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Society of Medicine; Gives £5000 to the Royal College of Physicians to promote advance in dermatology, 1959; dies aged 99 on 2 June 1962.

There are obituaries in the British Medical Journal, 1962, i, 1630-1, and The Lancet, 1962, i, 1308-9, and an entry in Munk's Roll of Fellows of the Royal College of Physicians. Frederick Parkes Weber's collected writings in celebration of his 80th birthday and 50th anniversary as physician to the German Hospital London, edited by the Medical Staff, 1943, is held in the Wellcome Library and includes a complete bibliography of his publications to that date (update to 1958 in PP/FPW/D.10), a list of the societies and organisations of which he was a member, and tributes from colleagues.

Born, 1877; Graduated MB. BS. University of Durham, 1898; Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne; Postgraduate study at Vienna; MS, 1901; FRCS, 1903; Elected to staff of Royal Infirmary, 1906; Service with R.A.M.C. at home and overseas - for a time as consulting surgeon in Mesopotamia; 1914-1918; Council of Royal College of Surgeons, 1926-1950; Professor of Surgery in University of Durham, 1927; President of the Association of Surgeons of GB and Ireland Hunterian Professor, 1928; Orator, Medical Society of London, 1929; President Medical Society of London, 1934; Professor of Surgery in new British Postgraduate Medical School, 1935; Vice President, Royal College of Surgeons, 1937-1939; President, Medical Society of London, 1943-1944; died, 1951.

Born 7 February 1858 in New South Wales, brought to the United Kingdom in 1860; educated at Cheltenham Ladies' College under Dorothea Beale; studied painting and music in Germany; trained as nurse in Liverpool Infirmary; studied medicine in London, Glasgow and Brussels; LRCP and LRCS(Edinburgh); MD (Brux) 1890; practiced in Calcutta for some years; went to Afghanistan to recoup her health and became personal physician to the Amir; visited England 1895 in the retinue of his son the Shahzada Nasrullah; returned to England 1896 and did settlement work in Liverpool; practiced medicine in England until her health broke down; went to South Africa (where her brother Dundas became a farmer); became Warden of Studley College, Warwickshire (established to train women for careers in horticulture and agriculture and allied professions); was a member of the Women's Freedom League; c 1915 went to Montenegro under the auspices of the Wounded Allies Relief Committee and ran a hospital there: returned to Studley where her health became progressively poorer and died at Nice in January 1925.

Helena Wright was born in 1887. She trained at the London School of Medicine for Women, qualifying as MRCS (Eng.) and LRCP (Lond.) in 1914, and MB, BS in 1915. She subsequently worked at the Bethnal Green Hospital, where she met her husband Peter Wright, a Royal Army Medical Corps surgeon. After the First World War she and her husband decided to become medical missionaries in China, working at the Shantung Christian University in Tsinan until 1927. Following her return to England, Wright became an influential figure in the National Birth Control Association, later the Family Planning Association. She wrote several much reprinted works of popular sex instruction, including The Sex Factor in Marriage (1930). During her later years she became interested in alternative medicine and the paranormal, and there is a small amount of material in this collection which reflects this interest. She died in 1982.

Hunter , Donald , 1898-1977 , physician

Donald Hunter was Director of the MRC Department for Research in Industrial Medicine, at the London Hospital, and author of Diseases of Occupations. Born, 1898; Student at the London Hospital, 1915; Surgeon-probationer RNVR HMS Faulknor, 1918; MB BS London, MRCS LRCP, 1920; MD London, 1922; Member of RCP, 1923; Research fellowship, Harvard, 1926; Assistant Physician, London Hospital, 1927; FRCP, 1929; Goulstonian Lecture, RCP, 1930; Curator of London Hospital Medical School Museum, 1933-1963; Croonian Lecture, RCP, 1942; Director of the MRC Department for Research in Industrial Medicine at the London Hospital, 1943; First editor of British Journal of Industrial Medicine, 1944; Hon DIH Society of Apothecaries, 1960; Retirement from London Hospital, 1963; Middlesex Hospital, lecturing on occupational diseases, 1963-1967; Guy's Hospital, lecturing on occupational diseases, 1967-1971; died, 1977.

Saint Paul's started as a chapel of ease in the parish of Saint John. The church was constructed in stone in a 14th century style. In 1938-1939 the parish of Saint John, which had declined, was amalgamated with Saint Paul. It is advisable to consult the records of the two parishes in conjunction.

Saint Crispin's parish was established in 1875, taken from part of the parish of Saint James. The church was constructed at around the same time. It was endowed by Sir Frederick W. I. FitzWigram.

From: 'Parishes: Bermondsey', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 (1912), pp. 17-24.

The parish of Saint Mary Magdalene is the ancient parish of Bermondsey. The parish church was probably founded by a local monastery. It remained the only parish in the area until 1840, when the parish of Saint James was established in response to the growing population of Bermondsey. Christ Church, Saint Paul, Saint Anne, Saint Crispin, Saint Augustine and Saint Luke all followed between 1845 and 1885. The medieval church building was rebuilt in the seventeenth century, and later added to and restored, particularly in 1883.

Source of information: 'Parishes: Bermondsey', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 (1912), pp. 17-24.

The parish of Saint Philip was formed in 1842, taken from part of the parish of Saint Matthew. The church was constructed in 1841-42, seating 1,100. The parish was the poorest in the area and the clergymen were concerned with poor relief: George Alstone declined fees for baptisms while his successor James Trevitt wrote in the press about local conditions. The church ran schools, societies and a library. In 1954 the parish was united with Saint Matthew (P72/MTW). The church building was used to store church furniture until demolition in 1966.

From: 'Bethnal Green: List of Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 217-226.

The church of Saint Thomas was constructed in 1848, designed by Lewis Vulliamy. The building was financed by William Cotton as a memorial to his son. In 1844 a parish was assigned from part of the parish of Saint Matthew. The church was damaged during the Second World War and demolished. The parish was united with Saint Peter's (P72/PET).

From: 'Bethnal Green: List of Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 217-226.

In 1865 a temporary church was erected in Nunhead dedicated to Saint Michael-and-all-Angels. When this church became filled to capacity, a permanent church was built with part of the proceeds of the sale of the ground on which Saint Antholin in the City had previously stood. The new Saint Antholin was completed and consecrated on 11 May 1878.

From 1890 the Cheltenham College Mission relieved the incumbent of Saint Antholin of much of his work in a rapidly growing parish. The mission gradually formed itself into a separate church responsible for a large part of the work of the whole parish. Therefore, in 1911, the Bishop of Southwark united the parish with the mission in order to transfer the ordinary routine of parochial work to the parish church and to enable the mission to specialise in work among the poor.

Saint Antholin was gutted by fire bombs in December 1940 and had to be rebuilt. On 12 October 1957 the new church was consecrated under the title of Saint Antony. On 1 March 1990 Saint Antony was made a united benefice with Saint Silas, Ivydale Road, Nunhead (P73/SIL).

Saint Jude's was established in the mid-Victorian era to ease the pressure on the ancient parish church caused by rapid population expansion in the area. The church was bombed in December 1940; thereafter marriages were solemnized at Saint Chrysostom's Church (P73/CRY), Hill Street, or in Saint Jude's chuch hall. Saint Jude's parish was united with that of Saint Chrysostom, as Saint Chrysostom and Saint Jude, in 1960, and Saint Chrysostom's church became the parish church of the united parish.

Saint Michael's Church appears to have originated in the Railway Arch Mission, Wyndham Road, established in the parish of Saint George, Camberwell in the 1870s. In August 1883 part of Saint George's parish west of Camberwell Road, and with it Saint Michael's Mission Church, was transferred to the parish of Saint John the Divine, Kennington. A new church was built in Sultan Street. In 1922 Saint Michael's became a separate parish.

In circa 1956 Saint Michael was united with the parish of All Souls, Grosvenor Park. Saint Michael's Church served initially as the parish church of Saint Michael and All Angels with All Souls, Camberwell, but was replaced in 1957 by the restored church of All Souls. In 1965 the parish was united with Emmanuel, Camberwell to form the parish of Saint Michael and All Angels and All Souls with Emmanuel, Camberwell. In 1972 it was entered into a group ministry with Saint Paul, Lorrimore Square, Walworth. In 1987 it was designated to form a team ministry with Saint Mary, Newington.

The church was originally built in 1843-44 by G. Alexander, but unfortunately was damaged by fire and rebuilt by G.E. Street in 1858. The chancel was enlarged and embellished although the west tower, spire and outer walls of the original church were retained. At the time of its construction, Saint Paul's church was surrounded largely by fields as Herne Hill was still very much a rural area, but by the 1890's it had become urbanised following the emergence of a railway station and numerous houses in the neighbourhood.

Park Chapel, Chelsea, was constructed some time between 1718 and 1724 as a chapel of ease to the over-subscribed parish church of Chelsea (known as the Old Church), which was suffering from a lack of space and could not hold half of the population of the parish. Park Chapel was renamed Emmanuel Chapel in 1906 but was demolished in 1912. In 1913 the chapel was rebuilt and renamed Saint Andrew's Church. In 1973 the parish was united with that of Saint John's, World's End, and served by Saint John's church.

Information from 'Religious history: Church extension', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 12: Chelsea (2004), pp. 250-258.

The church of Saint Jude was situated on Turk's Row. The church was constructed using grants from the Metropolitan Church Fund and the Royal Hospital. It was opened in 1844. A District was assigned from the parish of Holy Trinity at the same date. The church supported two missions and other parish organisations. In 1892 the church was united with Holy Trinity as the benefice was vacant. It was closed in 1932 and the proceeds from the sale of the lease went to the construction of Saint Alban's in Harrow. The site was used for the York House flats.

From: 'Religious history: Church extension', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 12: Chelsea (2004), pp. 250-258.

The church of Saint Mark was built in 1883 and a parish created for it in 1884, taken from the parish of Saint Paul, Deptford High Street. The parishes were reunited in 1921. The church building was declared redundant in 1955 and sold.

Saint Mary's Nunnery of Augustinian canonesses, founded in 1140, was dissolved in 1539 and the church converted to the parish church of Clerkenwell. In the 1780s the building was declared ruinous and demolished.

The present church was built 1788-92 by the architect James Carr, on the site of the choir of the mediaeval nunnery. It is regarded as one of the most respected Palladian architects of the period. It is built of stock brick and has a stone west tower. The steeple was rebuilt in 1849 by William Pettit Griffith and the Church was further restored 1883-84. In 1978 the church was redecorated and the organ restored to its 18th century design.

The church was described in 1906 as 'a very dingy-looking building of earth-brick with round-headed windows'. The former burial ground was opened as a public ground in 1897, while the crypt was converted into a hall in 1912.