Mostrando 15888 resultados

Registro de autoridad

The church of Saint Luke, Old Street, was one of the last to be built under the 1711 "Act for the building of Fifty New Churches in the Cities of London and Westminster or the Suburbs thereof" to be paid for by a tax levied on coal entering the City of London. It was designed by the Church Commissioner's surveyors, Nicholas Hawksmoor and John James, 1727-1733: the spire is in the shape of a fluted obelisk. The parish was formed from Saint Giles, Cripplegate in 1733 and is now again part of Saint Giles.

After the amalgamation of the parish with Saint Giles, the building was left unused for 30 years. It has now been restored with Lottery funding and is known as LSO Saint Luke's - the London Symphony Orchestra's Music Education Centre.

The church of Saint Matthew on Oakley Crescent, off City Road, Islington, was founded circa 1848. The church was severely damaged by bombing in 1940. Marriages from 1941 to 1952 were solemnized at Saint Luke, Old Street. The last marriage register was closed in February 1953 on the union of the parish with Saint Barnabas, King Square and Saint Clement, City Road.

The church of Saint Philip was situated on Granville Square, Clerkenwell. It was designed by Edward Buckton Lamb between 1831 and 1833. After only 25 years the church had been undermined by the building of the Metropolitan Railway and had to be repaired, re-opening in 1860. The last marriage register was closed in 1936 on the union of the parish with the Church of the Holy Redeemer, Exmouth Market.

The church of the Holy Redeemer, Exmouth Market was built on the site of the Spa Fields chapel in 1888, in a Romanesque style that was much praised by critics. The parish was united with Saint Philip, Granville Square, Clerkenwell in 1936.

The church of Saint Andrew's is situated between St Andrew's Road and Star Road in North Fulham, W14. The parish includes includes Queens Club Gardens and the large estates of Cheeseman's Terrace and West Kensington Estate. The church was built in 1873, with various later additions and extensions.

The Mission Chapel of St Augustine was originally in the parish of St Andrew, Fulham. The parish of St Augustine, Lillie Road, Fulham was formed in 1901. St Augustine's Church was destroyed by bombing in October 1940. A temporary church was opened in 1941 over the parish hall.

The marriage register was closed in October 1956 on the union of the parish with St Oswald, Anselm Road, Fulham to form the parish of St Oswald with St Augustine.

St Oswald's became the parish church of the united parish whilst St Augustine's Church was used as a chapel of ease and was relicensed for marriages in October 1956.

In 1973 St Oswalds was declared redundant and St Augustine's become the parish church. The name of the parish was changed to St Augustine, Lillie Road, Fulham. More recently the parish has joined with the parish of St Alban to become St Alban with St Augustine, Margravine Road, Fulham. The patronage is shared between the Bishop of London and the Corporation of London.

The church of Saint John, Walham Green, SW6, was constructed in 1827-1828 on North End Road. The parish was taken from that of All Saints, Fulham Park Road. A parish school was founded in 1832. The church is now part of the ecclesiastical parish of Saint John with Saint James, including the formerly independent churches of Saint Oswald, Saint Augustine and Saint James.

Saint Nicholas is the ancient parish church of Deptford. The parish of Saint Nicholas has now united with the parish of Saint Luke to form Saint Nicholas' and Saint Luke's, Deptford.

The earliest building on the site dated to around 1275. From the fourteenth century onwards the church was dedicated to Saint Augustine, but was changed to Saint John after 1660. The present benefice, created in 1971, is called Hackney, the church remaining dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.

By the late 1770s it was clear from the growing population of the area that a new and larger church was necessary. The new church was consecrated on 15th July 1797 with a wooden box-like structure. The old church was demolished except for the tower, which was left intact to hold the bells. The church was subsequently rebuilt in Portland stone and a tower added in 1814.

The church suffered only light damage during World War II but was badly damaged by fire in 1955. Following extensive repairs it was re-consecrated in 1958. The old 16th century tower of St Augustine still stands to the south.

The original church, which was designed by J.H. Hakewill, was situated opposite the vicarage on the corner of Lamb Lane and London Fields. Nothing now remains of this building which was destroyed in the Second World War. The new church, which was designed by N.F. Cachemaille-Day, is situated on the other side of London Fields in part of what was then the parish of Saint Phillip, Dalston. The foundation stone is dated 7 November 1959. The parish was united with that of Saint Paul, Haggerston (P91/PAU) in 1971 and Saint Michael and All Angels became the church of the united parish.

Saint Martin's Mission Church was opened in November 1906 and closed in February 1939.

The site was given by William Rhodes, financed by The Church Building Committee. A district was assigned from part of the parish of Saint John in 1848.

The church was built in 1841 in brick with stone dressings in Early English style. It was bombed in 1940 and demolished between 1947 and 1952. From December 1940 marriages were solemnized at Holy Trinity, Dalston. The last marriage register was closed in 1953 on the union of the parish with Holy Trinity, Dalston.

The first ecclesiastical building within the boundaries of this parish was a leper chapel of Saint Catherine. The first minsiter dates from 1623. A district was formed from the parishes of Saint Philip and Saint Mark in 1879. The patron was The Merchant Taylor's Company up to 1937. The building is of red brick in early English style by Ewan Christian and was built 1878/1879. It reopened after war damage, with the south transept reduced in height. The church was united with Saint Philip's, Dalston in 1953 to become the parish of Holy Trinity with Saint Philip, Dalston.

West Hackney Church was built between 1821-1824 by Sir Robert Smirke. He was an ardent advocate of the Greek clasical revival in architecture and this building is of white Suffolk brick with stone dressings in a Greek Doric style. The church was sometimes called Saint James. The churchyard to the east closed for burials in 1879. It survived as a public garden with gravestones against the wall. West Hackney church was destroyed by enemy action in 1940. This may explain why gaps occur in the sequences of registers at LMA. Services continued to be held in the parish hall for a time, until the parish was amalgamated with St Barnabas, Shacklewell, West Hackney, Hackney in 1955.

The church of Saint Cuthbert originated in an iron mission church established by the church of Holy Trinity. In 1882 a brick mission church was constructed, and in 1888 an ecclesiastical district was formed from part of Holy Trinity parish. A larger church was built in 1886, although it was not completed until 1904. The old mission church was then used as a hall.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 145-152.

Saint Stephen's Church was consecrated in 1849 and a chapelry district was assigned to it the same year. In 1856 this became a parish. Although Saint Stephen's Church was situated in the Borough of Hampstead, most of Saint Stephen's parish lay within the Borough of Saint Marylebone.

From February 1941 Saint Stephen's parish was grouped administratively with the parish of Saint Barnabas, Bell Street, and the parish of Christ Church, Cosway Street, with Saint John's Wood Chapel. The Rector of Christ Church the Reverend O.H. Gibbs-Smith was based at Saint John's House and took charge of all three parishes. The scheme for the parochial reorganisation of Saint Marylebone published in 1945 proposed that the part of Saint Stephen's parish which was situated in the Borough of Hampstead should be transferred to Hampstead Deanery. The rest of the parish would form the major part of a new parish with Saint John's Wood Chapel replacing Saint Stephen's as the parish church. Saint Andrew's Mission Church would become a daughter church to Saint John's. The Bishop of London ordered that Saint Stephen's Church should be closed from 31 October 1945 and Saint Stephen's Parochial Church Council were asked to recognise Saint John's Wood Chapel as their parish church without waiting for a formal legal decision. Saint Andrew's Church was subsequently closed in July 1948.

When Mr Gibbs-Smith resigned in 1947, he was replaced by separate incumbents of Saint Stephen with Saint John and Christ Church with Saint Barnabas. The Reverend N.A. Perry-Gore was instituted Rector of Saint Stephen with Saint John on 5 December 1947. On 1 January 1948 Saint Stephen's accounts were closed and the money was transferred to Saint John's. On 11 March 1952 an Order in Council was published ratifying the reorganisation scheme and on 9 September 1952 a further Order in Council changed the name of the parish from Saint Stephen, Avenue Road to Saint John's Wood.

Whatever the legal position, Saint John's Wood Chapel had become the administrative centre of three parishes and Saint John's Wood appears to have absorbed Saint Stephen's rather than the other way round. Most of the series of records used for Saint Stephen's were closed, and either the Saint John's records were used for the new parish or a new series was started.

It has been decided, therefore, to list the records of Saint Stephen's parish dating from before the de facto union of 1948 separately from the records of Saint John's Wood Chapel and Saint John's Wood Parish. Records of the parish designate of Saint John's Wood dating from 1948 to 1952 have been listed with the records of Saint John's Wood Parish.

The church of Saint Alban the Martyr is situated on Baldwin Gardens, off Grays Inn Road. It was constructed in 1863, designed by William Butterfield. The church building was severely damaged by enemy action in 1941; but was reconstructed to the designs of Adrian Gilbert Scott. The new church building was consecrated in 1961. The parish was united with that of Saint Peter's, Saffron Hill, in 1952. The area served by the church was poor and densely populated, and various missions and charitable programmes were established by the clergy and congregation; particularly curate Arthur Henry Stanton (1839-1913).

Reverend Alexander Heriot Mackonochie, 1825-1887, was ordained as perpetual curate at St Alban the Martyr in January 1862. He introduced various 'ritualistic', catholic elements to services, which prompted strict protestant John Martin to launch a lawsuit against him in 1867. The trial took place in the Court of Arches under the Church Discipline Act of 1840. Mackonochie was charged with elevating the host above his head, using a mixed chalice and altar lights, censing things and persons, and kneeling during the prayer of consecration. He was found guilty and suspended from office for three months. However, he did not cease the practices and in March 1874 a new lawsuit was brought by the Church Association, which resulted in a six-week suspension; while in June 1878 he was suspended for three years. Further proceedings in 1882 were halted by his resignation. More proceedings were launched against him in his new church and he resigned after only a year; returning to Saint Alban's as a freelance assistant. (Source of information: Rosemary Mitchell, 'Mackonochie, Alexander Heriot (1825-1887)', Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004.)

Saint George the Martyr Church was built as a proprietary chapel in 1705-1706 by a group of substantial inhabitants of the newly developed area of Queen Square within the parish of Saint Andrew, Holborn. By a deed of settlement dated 1 July 1706 (ref. P82/GE02/48/1) they drew up an agreement to elect trustees to manage the affairs of the chapel and appointed a minister, lecturer and clerk.

By 1713 the proprietors of pews in Saint George's Chapel had entered into negotiations with the Commissioners for Building 50 New Churches to make the chapel a new parish church. The Commissioners bought both the lease and the freehold of the chapel, they provided money to repair the chapel and to purchase pews for the use of parishioners, and they bought a piece of land near Gray's Inn Road to serve as a burial ground for the parish. Saint George's Church was consecrated by the Bishop of London on 26 September 1723. A new parish of Saint George the Martyr, Middlesex was constituted and separated from Saint Andrew, Holborn for church purposes. The two parishes remained united for the care of highways and the poor.

The Rector of Saint George the Martyr was not provided with a proper endowment by the Commissioners, but received a salary from the quarterly assessments levied on the proprietors of pews. Two Acts of Parliament were obtained in 1816 and 1819 for the repair of the church and to make further provision for the Rector. These Acts provided for the appointment of trustees who were empowered to levy church rates.

Saint George the Martyr was united with the parish of Holy Trinity, Gray's Inn Road in 1931 and with Saint Bartholomew, Gray's Inn Road in 1959.

The burial ground of Saint George the Martyr (which was situated to the north of the Foundling Hospital adjoining the burial ground of Saint George, Bloomsbury) appears to have attracted many burials of non-parishioners in the 18th and early 19th centuries.

BENEFICE: The property of the benefice consisted of the Vestry House and the original two houses built adjoining the church, later known as nos. 8 and 10 Cosmo Place (see P82/GE02/47/1-7). It also included the burial ground (disused after 1855) situated on the north side of the Foundling Hospital in the parish of Saint Pancras, together with Prospect Terrace, the private road leading to the burial ground from Gray's Inn Road, which was owned jointly with the Rector of Saint George, Bloomsbury.

TRUSTEES FOR REPAIRING AND ALTERING THE CHURCH: The trustees were established by an Act of Parliament of 1816 (56 Geo III c 28).

MRS ELIZABETH PALMER'S CHARITY: By will dated 4 Aug 1726 Mrs Palmer left £500 to St George's Charity School.

CAPTAIN JAMES SOUTH'S CHARITY: Chimney Sweep's Sermon Fund and Educational Foundation.

REVEREND JOHN BACK'S CHARITY: Object - Mission Hall and parochial activities.

Saint Giles in the Fields originated in a leper hospital founded in 1101 by Queen Matilda. The chapel at the hospital came to serve locals as well as patients, and continued to serve this parochial role even after the closure of the hospital in 1539. A new church was constructed in 1623, however, this suffered structural damage from excessive burials in the churchyard, and in 1711 a new church was proposed under the Act for Fifty New Churches. The building was finished in 1733 and has changed little since then.

All Saints Church was constructed at the corner of Dalmeny Road and Tytherton Road, Tufnell Park, in 1884-1885, designed by J.E.K. Cutts. It originated in a mission church opened by the church of Saint Matthew in 1881. A parish was assigned in 1886, taken from the parishes of Saint John, Upper Holloway, and Saint George, Tufnell Park. The church was badly damaged by enemy action in 1941and 1944; it was later restored and rededicated. The church was closed in 1983. The parish was united with Saint George's, Crayford Road to form the united parish of Saint George and All Saints, Tufnell Park.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.

The church of Saint Anne, Poole's Park, was consecrated on 16 April 1870, and assigned a district on 14 January 1871, formed out of part of the parish of Saint Mark, Tollington Park. The church was designed by A D Gough, being built of brick in the Romanesque style. The church was demolished in 1965, a smaller new church having been built alongside it in 1960.

Source: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.

The church of Saint George was founded by Henry Hampton, the minister at Saint Luke's temporary church, who resigned and with other seceders built a new temporary church. The church was not licenced for Anglican worship so the congregation, some 900 strong, formed the Free Church of England. Hampton left in 1863 and the replacement vicar was officially recognised, whereupon a parish was assigned.

The first church building was built of wood. This was replaced in 1866 by a church of Kentish ragstone, designed by George Truefitt. The church was sold in 1970. Services moved to the parish hall until a new church was consecrated in 1975, designed by Clive Alexander.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.

The first church of Saint John, Highbury Park was a temporary iron church erected by 1877. A permanent church was completed in 1881 and consecrated on 30 July 1881. A district was assigned to it out of the parish of Christ Church Islington.

The church was declared redundant on 1 January 1979 and the parish was united with Christ Church, Highbury Grove, which became known as Christ Church with Saint John; Christ Church being the parish church of the united parish.

Built in 1814, as a Chapel of Ease to the parish church of Saint Mary Islington. The parish of Saint Mary Magdalene was formed in 1894, the first wedding taking place in 1895. In the 1950's the neighbouring parish church of Saint James was rebuilt as a church hall. A part of the former Saint James parish was added and the name changed to Saint Mary Magdalene with Saint James.

The church of Saint Saviour, Aberdeen Park, was founded by the Reverend W.D. Morrice and built to designs by William White in 1866. The church was closed in 1980 and the parish was united with Christ Church, Highbury Grove; but efforts were made to preserve the building which is well regarded for its architectural style.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.

The parish of Saint Thomas was formed in 1862 from parts of the parishes of Saint Andrew, Thornhill Square, and Holy Trinity. The church had been constructed in 1860, built in the Decorated style to designs by A. Billing. In 1953 the parish was united with Saint Andrew and the church was closed and demolished.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.

From around 1880 mission services were held in Finsbury Park in a new public house, then in a temporary iron chapel. A parish was established in 1888, taken from Saint Anne's, Tollington Park. A permanent brick church was built in 1889, following the Early English style.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.

The site of Holy Trinity church was donated by the Stonefields Charity Estate, and the building was constructed between 1826 and 1829 to designs by Sir Charles Barry. A parish was assigned in 1830, taken from the parish of Saint Mary's, Islington. Parts of the parish were later assigned to other churches: All Saints, Caledonian Road, in 1839; Saint Andrew, Thornhill Square, in 1854 and Saint Thomas, Barnsbury, in 1862. The parish was joined with Saint Andrew's, Thornhill Square, in 1980 and the church was sold to the Celestial Church of Christ.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.

All Saints church, Notting Hill, was originally dedicated to Saint Ann. The building was built after the model of Saint Columb Major in Cornwall to the design of William White. The building was completed in 1855, but because of shortage of money, it was left without glass or furniture until 1861. During the 4 or 5 years while it remained semi-derelict surrounded by half completed houses, it was referred to as 'All Saints in the Mud'.

The church was severely damaged in the Second World War: on 29 September 1940 an incendiary bomb followed by a high explosive bomb destroyed the Lady Chapel and the tracery of the East windows was shattered, the roof damaged and the high altar wrecked. Restoration was completed in 1951 by Milner and Craze. The pulpit and Lady Chapel were restored by Sir J. Ninian Comper.

The parish of Saint Clement was created from part of the parish of Saint James, Norland, Kensington. The schools were opened in 1866 and the church, designed by J.P. Aubyn, in 1867. It seated 800 and was consecrated by the Bishop of Armagh on 7 May 1867. It is a wide low building of yellow brick with red bands and stone dressings, a large slated roof with a slate-hung belfry turret containing a clock and crowned with a spire. Its principal treasure is the large cartoon of 'Jesus at the Well of Samaria' by Sir Edward Burne-Jones.

The first incumbent was the Reverend Arthur Dalgarno Robinson, curate of Saint Stephen, Shepherds Bush, who remained until 1881. From 1881-1886 the incumbent was the Reverend Edwyn Hoskyns, later to become Bishop of Southwell.

In 1882 the northern part of the parish became part of the parish of Saint Helen.

A mission church dedicated to Saint Columb was built in 1888 in the parish of All Saints. It was designed by Edgar P. Lotho Brock at a cost of £1,400. After the present building was erected in 1901, the earlier church became the parish hall and was eventually demolished in 1970. The architect of the new building was C. Hodgson Fowler of Durham, and it was consecrated on 15 June 1901, providing space for 668.

In 1951 half of Saint Columb's parish was united with Saint Michael's Ladbroke Grove; and the other half with All Saints, Notting Hill, as All Saints with Saint Columb. The church was then closed and was later given over for the use of the Serbian Church of Saint Sava.

This church served the expanding population of west Kensington, although the Bishop of London was against this plan because there were 'not enough poor people' in the area. The parish was taken from that of Saint Philip's on Earl's Court Road, but its founder and traditions were from Saint Matthias, Warwick Road. Originally housed in an iron shed known as the 'dustbin', which opened in 1883, it developed into the grandest church in the area.

The architect was Hugh Gough who designed it as an austere, lofty structure of Transitional Style and Cisterician type with its proportions modelled on Tintern Abbey, but progress was piecemeal. The congregation was encouraged to contribute funds and also time and skills to decorate the somewhat spartan interior. Led by skilled craftsmen their efforts produced great results in the Arts & Crafts spirit and the church became the grandest and most flourishing High Church foundation in Kensington. In 1958 the parish of Saint Matthias was amalgamated with that of Saint Cuthbert's.

The church hall (built 1896) included a meeting hall, library, gymnasium, and living accommodation for curates. Nowadays it is used by the Saint Mungo community organisation and similar groups and is an active drop-in centre for the homeless and vulnerable.

The first vicar was the Reverend Arthur Delgano Robinson, a prominent local philanthropic clergyman, who also founded Saint Clement's Church. He established a school for the children of the local potteries workers, who were notoriously poverty-stricken.

Saint Helen's was built in 1881 by H. Currey and dedicated on 15th January 1884. The church was hit by a flying bomb and destroyed during World War II and rebuilt during 1954-6 and rededicated on 6th July 1956. The ancillary buildings: the vicarage, church hall, parish room and stores are clustered round the church. The church has an organ case and stained class by Sir J. Ninian Comper, the architect's father, and pews by Richard Norman Shaw which were orginally from Holy Trinity, Latimer Road, Hammersmith. The parish was united with Holy Trinity in 1951. The church has developed a strong tradition for children's and youth work.

In April 2000 the parish boundary was extended to include the Delgano estate with Saint Francis Mission Chapel and Saint Francis House.

Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street. It was built by Mr. Allen, a local builder. It was the Mission Church of Saint Michael and All Angels, Ladbroke Grove (P84/MAA). Since 1916 it has become a parish stretching from Ladbroke Grove to St Quintin's Park.

Onslow Square was built between 1845 and 1865 on estate left by a wealthy seventeenth-century alderman Henry Smith. The architect of the church was James Edmeston. The exterior of the church is faced with Kentish rag and is basically Perpendicular in style with a distinctive slender spire. Saint Paul's was consecrated at Christmas 1860. One vicar, Hanmer Webb Peploe, whose incumbency was 1876-1909, made the church a noted centre of Evangelism. Memorial tablets include one to Sir Charles James Freake, who contributed most of the funds of the church and was the builder and developer responsible for the construction of the estate upon which the church stood.

In 1977 St Paul's united with Holy Trinity Brompton and the last service was on 1st May that year.

The parish of All Saints was formed out of part of the parish of Saint Barnabas, Kennington, in 1874. The parish was subsequently united with Saint Barnabas, Guildford Road, South Lambeth, forming the parish of All Saints and Saint Barnabas. All Saints Church has been demolished.

The church of Saint Andrew originated in a chapel constructed in 1767. In 1867 the chapel was remodelled in a Romanesque style. A parish was subsequently assigned to the church. Further changes to the building took place in 1891 (addition of vestries), 1894 (addition of Lady Chapel) and 1924 (removal of galleries).

The parish of Lambeth Emmanuel was formed in 1869. Emmanuel Church is a small building of brick with stone dressings; the west end is directly on the street face (Distin Street) and contains the principal doorway below a large window. The other sides are closed in by houses.

From: 'Lambeth: The parish', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 (1912), pp. 50-64.

The church of Saint John the Evangelist on Waterloo Road was constructed using funds allocated by the Commissioners for Building New Churches in 1822. These Commissioners had been established by an Act of Parliament in 1818 for the building of new churches in populous areas, particularly around London which was expanding rapidly. The site for the church was purchased from the Archbishop of Canterbury on marshy ground; the advice of John Rennie was sought regarding the foundations. On his recommendation piling was used under all the walls, which still remain strong. An imposing classical design by architect Francis Bedford was chosen. The church was consecrated in November 1824. Renovations and repairs were carried out in 1885 and again in 1924.

A parish school was constructed in Exton Street as soon as the church was finished. In 1844 a new church, All Saints, was constructed to provide more church accommodation in the area, and the parish was taken out of that of Saint John. However, it was demolished to make way for Waterloo Station, and the parishes were merged again. The churchyard was made into a public garden in 1878, although some monuments still survive to the front of the church.

Information from 'Church of St John the Evangelist, Waterloo Road', Survey of London: volume 23: Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall (1951), pp. 32-36.

Royal South London Dispensary: The dispensary was founded in 1821 for the benefit of the poor people of Lambeth, Southwark and Newington. Its premises were situated at Saint George's Cross, Southwark opposite Bethlem Hospital. The dispensary closed in June 1917 owing to lack of the necessary financial support. The minute book was handed over to the Revd. E. G. Gordon, Vicar of Saint John, Waterloo Road, for safe keeping. Other records were to be sold or otherwise disposed of.

In 1839 the site of Saint Michael's was donated to the Church Building Commissioners, who had been established by an Act of 1818 to provide more churches, particularly in the expanding metropolis. A design for the church by William Rogers was approved in 1840 and construction was complete by 1841. The church was consecrated in November of that year. A district was assigned to the church in 1845. The church was severely damaged during the Second World War and was re-dedicated in 1952 after its restoration by Thomas F. Ford.

From: 'Stockwell: Stockwell Park Crescent and Stockwell Green areas', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 88-95.

The church of Saint Mark was constructed under the Act of 1818 for providing additional churches in populous areas, particularly in expanding parts of London such as Lambeth. The building began in 1822 and the church was consecrated in June 1824. The architect was D. R. Roper, who designed a Classical Grecian building seating over two thousand people. Restorations took place in the 1870s, in 1901 and in 1949 after Second World War bomb damage.

Information from: 'Kennington: Common land', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 31-36.

The church of Saint Mary the Less was established in 1827 as a chapel of ease to the ancient parish church of Saint Mary at Lambeth. The building was constructed in a Gothic style, designed by Francis Bedford. Schools were added in 1837. The church was assigned a separate parish in 1842.

From: Survey of London: volume 23: Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall (1951), pp. 144.

The church of Saint Paul, Brixton, originated in a temporary iron church established in 1874 to serve a growing housing estate. A permanent church was constructed by 1881, designed by W G Habershon in the Gothic style. A district chapelry was assigned in 1882.

From: Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 95-100.

Saint Thomas's church was built in 1856, to designs by Samuel Sanders Teulon. The church was demolished by enemy action during the Second World War, and the parish was united with Saint Andrew's, Short Street, Lambeth, in November 1956.

From: Survey of London: volume 23: Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall (1951), pp. 69-74.

The parish of All Saints, Paddington, was formed from part of the parish of Saint James, Sussex Gardens (P87/JS). The church was consecrated in November 1847. In 1894 it burned down but was rebuilt to the designs of Ralph Nevill. The church was closed in 1919 and the parish was united with that of Saint Michael and All Angels, Paddington (P87/MAA). The church was later demolished.

The parish of Saint John the Evangelist was created from part of the parish of Saint James, Sussex Gardens (P87/JS). The church originated as the Connaught Chapel, built in 1826. It was extended in 1830-31 and further altered in 1895.