Mostrar 15888 resultados

Registo de autoridade
Rastrick , John Urpeth , 1780-1856 , civil engineer

John Urpeth Rastrick was born at Morpeth in Northumberland on 26 January 1780, the son of John Rastrick, an engineer to whom he became articled in 1795. In about 1801, he was working at the Ketley Iron Works in Shropshire and, in or after 1805, he joined in partnership with John Hazledine (soon succeeded by Robert Hazledine) of Bridgenorth, Shropshire. During this time, Rastrick assisted in the construction of the locomotive 'Catch me who Can' for Richard Trevithick in 1808, and in 1814, he took out a patent for a steam engine and soon started experimenting with steam traction on railways. His first major work was the cast iron road bridge over the Wye at Chepstow (1815-1816). In 1817 Rastrick left that partnership, to join with James Foster, in about 1819, at the iron works which then became known as Foster, Rastrick and Co., at Stourbridge, Worcestershire. His association with railway engineering began in 1822 when he became an engineer for the Stratford and Moreton Railway. Rastrick became an active supporter of railway proposals put before Parliament, an adviser to railway companies, and a designer and builder of locomotives - the 'Agenoria' and 'Stourbridge Lion' for example. He acted as surveyor or engineer to parts of a large number of lines, among them the Liverpool & Manchester (1829 onwards), the Manchester and Cheshire Junction (1835 onwards), and the series of lines later known as the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (1836 onwards). About 1847, he retired from engineering work, although he continued to occupy himself with railway business, and was active in a number of arbitrations concerning railway disputes. He retired to Sayes Court, Chertsey, Surrey and died on 1 November 1856.

Unknown

In 1724-1725, the British government attempted to impose a new and debased currency of copper halfpence and farthings on Ireland. The "Drapier's Letters" (1724-1725) by Johnathan Swift attacked this scheme, and were part of a successful campaign against it.

South Sea Company

The South Sea Company was founded in 1711 to trade (mainly in slaves) with Spanish America, on the assumption that the War of the Spanish Succession, then drawing to a close, would end with a treaty permitting such trade. The company's stock sold well, but the Treaty of Utrecht made with Spain in 1713, was less favourable than had been hoped, imposing an annual tax on imported slaves and allowing the company to send only one ship each year for general trade. The success of the first voyage in 1717 was only moderate, but King George I of Great Britain became governor of the company in 1718, creating confidence in the enterprise, which was soon paying 100 percent interest. In 1720 there was an incredible boom in South Sea stock, as a result of the company's proposal, accepted by Parliament, to take over the national debt. The company expected to recoup itself from expanding trade, but chiefly from the foreseen rise in the value of its shares. By September the market had collapsed, and by December South Sea shares had plummeted in value, dragging other, including government, stock with them. Many investors were ruined, and the House of Commons ordered an inquiry, which showed that at least three ministers had accepted bribes and speculated. Many of the company's directors were disgraced, but the company itself survived until 1853, having sold most of its rights to the Spanish government in 1750.

Bilson , Thomas , 1547-1616 , Bishop of Winchester

Bilson born 1547 in Winchester, where he was educated and at New College Oxford; fellow 1564/5; Prebendary of Winchester, and Warden of the College there; Bishop of Worcester, 1596; translated to the see of Winchester, three years later; died 1616.

Unknown

No information was available at the time of compilation.

No information was available at the time of compilation.

Davenant , Charles , 1656-1714 , political economist

Charles Davenant was born in London in 1656. Educated at the grammar school, Cheam, Surrey and Balliol College, Oxford University, he became MP for St Ives, Cornwall, in 1685, and for Great Bedwin, 1690 and 1700. He was Commissioner of the Excise, 1678-1689, and Inspector General of Exports and Imports from 1705 until his death in Nov 1714. Davenant also wrote widely on politics and economics.

Publications: Reflections upon the Constitution and Management of the Trade to Africa, through the whole course and progress thereof, from the beginning of the last century, to this time (John Morphew, London, 1709); The Songs in Circe (Richard Tonson, London, 1677); An Account of the Trade between Great-Britain, France, Holland, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Africa, Newfoundland, etc. With the importations and exportations of all commodities, particularly of the woollen manufactures. Deliver'd in two reports made to the Commissioners for Publick Accounts (A. Bell, W. Taylor; J. Baker, London, 1715); An essay upon ways and means of supplying the war (London, 1695); Essays upon Peace at Home, and War Abroad (James Knapton, London, 1704); A Discourse upon Grants and Resumptions, showing how our ancestors have proceeded with such Ministers as have procured to themselves Grants of the Crown revenue; and that the Forfeited Estates ought to be applied towards the payment of the Publick Debts (London, 1700); Sir Thomas Double at Court, and in High Preferments. In two dialogues, between Sir T. Double and Sir Richard Comover, alias Mr. Whiglove: on the 27th of September, 1710 (John Morphew, London, 1710); An Essay on the East India Trade (London, 1696); Discourses on the Publick Revenues, and on the Trade of England (J Knapton, London, 1698); A Report (a second Report) to the Honourable the Commissioners for putting in execution the Act, intitled, An Act for the Taking, Examining, and Stating the Publick Accounts of the Kingdom (London, 1712); An Essay upon the probable means of making a People gainers in the Ballance of Trade (London, 1699); Essays upon I. the Ballance of Power; II. The right of making war, peace, and alliances; III. Universal Monarchy (London, 1701); New Dialogues upon the Present Posture of Affairs, the species of mony, national debts, publick revenues, Bank and East-India Company, and the trade now carried on between France and Holland (John Morphew, London, 1710).

Wilderspin , Samuel , 1792-1866 , infant educationalist

Samuel Wilderspin was the controversial self-styled founder of the Infant School System. He was born in Hornsey, North London in 1792 and was an apprentice clerk in the City before being introduced to infant education by Buchanan. He trained with Buchanan at a school in Vincent Square, London and then became master of his own school in Quaker Street, Spitalfields. From 1824 he worked for the Infant School Society and as a freelance, teaching others about his system of schooling. He ran an infant school supply depot in Cheltenham for supplying apparatus and in 1839 set up the Central Model School in Dublin which was subsequently run by Sarah Anne and Thomas Young (his daughter and son-in-law). After returning from Dublin he was heavily involved with the Mechanics' Institute movement. In 1848, having founded several hundred schools, he retired to Wakefield on a civil list pension.Wilderspin's theories on education were mainly a product of his Swedenborgian beliefs. He saw education as a life long training of the child's soul and as such approached education from social, moral and religious aspects.

Publications include:
'Early discipline illustrated; or, the infant system progressing and successful' (1832)
'The importance of educating the infant poor from the age of eighteen months to seven years' (1824)
'The infant system, for developing the intellectual and moral powers of all children, from one to seven years of age' (1834)
'Manual for the religious and moral instruction of young children' (1845) co-author with Thomas John Terrington
'On the Importance of educating the Infant Children of the Poor ... Containing also an account of the Spitalfields Infant School' (1823)
'A system for the education of the young: applied to all the faculties' (1840)

Charles Lahr was born Karl Lahr in 1885 at Wendlesheim in the Rhineland Palatinate, Germany. During his teenage years he became first a Buddhist and later an anarchist. In 1905, to escape conscription into the German army, he left Germany for London. On arriving in London he worked as a baker and expressed his political involvement by joining and frequenting anarchist clubs. By 1914 Lahr had taken work as a razor grinder and had joined the British Section of the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW). He began to accumulate books at around this time as he moved from residence to residence in the Kings Cross area of London. He also let rooms to people he met through his political activities. Designated an enemy alien, Lahr was interned in Alexandra Palace in London from 1915 to 1919. After the war Lahr returned to his trade and continued his involvement with the IWW, where he met his future wife, Esther Archer, whom he married in 1922. Lahr and Archer both joined the Communist party in 1920, but left in 1921. It was during this brief membership that the Lahr met and became friends with Liam O'Flaherty. In 1921 Lahr took over the Progressive Bookshop at 68 Red Lion Square, Holborn. The bookshop became a centre for new writers and political activists from around the world, and specialised in the sale of radical literature and first editions. The Lahr's first moves into publishing came in when K. S. Bhat recommended the editors of the New Coterie to take the magazine to the Lahrs. From 1925 onwards Lahr started publishing items on his own account, often using his wife's maiden name to counter anti-German prejudice. During 1925 to 1927 these took the form of offprints from New Coterie, and then articles within the magazine itself. In the publishing world he was in close contact with writers such as D. H. Lawrence, T. F. Powys, James Hanley, A.S.J. Tessimond, Liam O' Flaherty, Paul Selver, Russell Green, George Woodcock, Rhys Davies and several others. The New Coterie ran until 1927, and in 1930 Lahr launched his Blue Moon Booklets and a year later the Blue Moon Press. However, by 1933 Lahr was having financial problems. In 1935 his difficulties came to a head when he was found guilty of receiving stolen books and was sentenced to six months imprisonment. However, after his release he continued his publishing activities although on a much reduced scale. The bookshop continued to be a focus for radicals and revolutionaries.The bookshop in Holborn was bombed in May 1941. Lahr moved the bookshop to several locations in central London before finally moving it to the headquarters of the Independent Labour Party at 197 Kings Cross Road, London. Charles Lahr died in London in 1971.

References:R. M. Fox, 'Lahr's Bookshop' in Smoky Crusade, Hogarth Press, 1938, pp. 180-188; D. Goodway, 'Charles Lahr: Anarchist, Bookseller' in London Magazine, Jun-Jul 1977, pp. 47-55.

Fellowes , Robert , 1771-1847 , philanthropist and author

Born in 1771, Fellowes was educated at St Mary Hall, Oxford, where he received a BA in 1796 and an MA in 1801. He published A Picture of Christian Philosophy of Illustration of the Character of Jesus in 1798. From 1804-1811, he edited Critical Review. Fellowes wrote and lectured on politics and religion. In 1826 he gave benefactions to encourage the study of philosophy at Edinburgh University and at London University (now University College London). He died in London on 6th February 1847.

Hogg , James , 1770-1835 , poet

James Hogg was born in Ettrick, Selkshire, Scotland in November 1770. Having received little formal education, Hogg taught himself to read and write in his late teens. He continued to work as a labourer and shepherd for twenty five years. Between 1794-1810 Hogg wrote songs which appeared in magazines and in two small collections. Determined to make a career as a professional writer, Hogg, aged 40, moved to Edinburgh in 1810. In Edinburgh, Hogg established a weekly paper entitled, The Spy but only managed to keep it going for a year and in 1813 he decided to return to writing poetry again. He died in 1835.

William Morris was born on 24 March 1834 at Elm House, Walthamstow, London. Morris received his education at Marlborough College, 1848-1851, and Exeter College, Oxford, 1853-1855, where he originally intended to take holy orders. While studying at Oxford Morris became interested in social criticism and medieval art. On leaving university Morris began work at the architectural office of G. E. Street. By 1856 Morris abandoned architecture as a career to become an artist. He painted the Oxford Union frescoes which set in place his career as a designer and established the Morris, Marshall, Faulkner and Company, renamed Morris and Company in 1876. In 1862 he designed his famous textiles and wallpaper for the company. Morris also wrote poetry and prose. His first volume of poetry, The Defence of Guenevere appeared in 1858 and the poem which established his reputation as a poet, The Earthly Paradise was published between 1868-1870. Morris became involved in national politics. In 1876 he became treasurer of the Eastern Question Association and in 1879, a year after the Morris family moved to Kelmscott House in Hammersmith, he became treasurer of the National Liberal League. In 1883 Morris was made an honorary fellow of Exeter College, Oxford. That year he joined H. M. Hyndman's Socialist Democratic Federation. In 1884 Morris published Art and Socialism with Hyndman and after disagreements with Hyndman, Morris left to form the Socialist League and later the Hammersmith Socialist Society. He became editor of the Socialist Society's journal, Commonweal in 1885. In the 1880s and 1890s Morris lectured and wrote widely on socialism. In 1890 Morris founded the Kelmscott Press at premises near his Hammersmith home. Morris designed typefaces for the company and printed sixty-six volumes. Morris died at Kelmscott House on 3 October 1896.

Swinburne , Algernon Charles , 1837-1909 , poet

Algernon Charles Swinburne was born in Grosvenor Place, London on 5 April 1837. Swinburne attended Eton in 1849 before entering Balliol College, Oxford in 1856. He left Oxford without graduating in 1860. He contributed to periodicals including the Spectator and Fortnightly Review. The first poem to be published under his name was Atalanta in Calydon (1865), which was received with critical acclaim. He also wrote the political work Songs before Sunrise and continued to write until a few years before his death. He died of influenza on 10 April 1909.

James Barrie was born at Kirriemuir, Forfarshire on 9 May 1860. He received his education from, the Glasgow Academy, Dumfries Academy, 1873-1878 and Edinburgh University, 1878-1882.

He was appointed leader writer and sub-editor on the Nottingham Journal in January 1883. In March 1885, Barrie moved to London, where he wrote for many magazines including, the British Weekly.

Barrie published his first book Better Dead in November 1887 and his first play, Richard Savage, on which he collaborated with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in 1891. His plays were performed in theatres in London's West End. Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens was published in 1906, the same year as his play, Alice by the Fire, which was produced at the Duke of York's Theatre. Barrie continued to write many plays, including Shall We Join the Ladies in 1921 and The Boy David, 1936, the last work which Barrie wrote.

He received honorary degrees from the universities of St. Andrews, 1898, Edinburgh 1909, Oxford, 1926, and Cambridge, 1930. He was appointed as Lord Rector of St Andrews University in 1919 and chancellor of Edinburgh University in 1930. He was appointed the Order of Merit in 1922. Barrie died in London on 19 June 1937.

Herbert Ernest Bates (later known to his friends and wife as 'H.E') was born in Rushton, Northamptonshire on 16 May 1905. He received his education at Kettering Grammar School and when he left at the age of sixteen he became, first, a clerk and then a provincial journalist. His first novel, The Two Sisters, was published in 1926 by Jonathan Cape after being rejected by 9 other publishers. By 1931, Cape had published three further novels.

In 1941, the Royal Air Force recruited Bates as a short story writer under the pseudonym of 'Flying Officer X'. This work included, The Greatest People in the World (1942) and Fair Stood the Wind for France. The latter was published by Michael Joseph who was to be his publisher for the rest of his life.

The Darling Buds of May (1959) began a popular series of earthy novels set in a rural context and for this work, he may be best remembered. His acclaimed autobiography was published in three volumes: The Vanished World (1969), The Blossoming World (1971) and The World in Ripeness (1972). Bates died in Canterbury Hospital, Canterbury, Kent on 29 January 1974.

Bolitho , Henry Hector , 1898-1974 , author

Henry Hector Bolitho was born in Auckland, New Zealand, in 1897. In 1915 he became a reporter for a newspaper in New Zealand. In 1922 Bolitho came to England, where he published his first novel. Bolitho wrote widely on historical subjects, most notably on the Royal Family. Before the Second World War he travelled throughout Europe, Africa, North America and Australia. Between 1939-1945 he became a Squadron Leader with the RAF and was the editor of the RAF journal. After the war, Bolitho conducted lecture tours of the United States of America between 1947-1949. He died in England on 12 September 1974.

O'Flaherty , Liam , 1896-1984 , novelist

Liam O'Flaherty was born in the Aran Islands, County Galway, Ireland on 28 August 1896. He was educated at Rockwell College, Black Rock College and University College Dublin. From 1915 to 1917 O'Flaherty served with the Irish Guards. On returning to Ireland he became active in the Irish Civil War. Between 1918 and 1921 he worked at various jobs in London, New York and Hartford Connecticut. He started writing in 1921 and published his first novel, The Neighbour's Wife in 1924. In 1974 he was awarded a Honorary D Litt from the National University of Ireland. O'Flaherty died on 7 September 1984.

Sir Hugh Seymour Walpole was born on 13 March 1884 in Auckland, New Zealand. He was educated at King's School, Canterbury, Durham School and in 1903 he attended Emmanuel College Cambridge. Before the First World War Walpole joined the staff of the Mersey Mission to Seaman in 1906; he travelled to France and Germany in 1907 and became the assistant master at Epsom College in 1908. In 1909 he went to London where he published his first novel The Wooden Horse. While in London he also became a book reviewer for the Evening Standard, in 1913. During the First World War, 1914-1918, he served with the Red Cross in Russia, receiving the Order of St George for his heroism. He was also awarded a CBE in 1918 and during the following two years he received the literary prize, the James Tait Black Prize. Walpole was a prolific writer, averaging about a novel a year. He was knighted in 1937. Walpole died in his country home in Keswick, Cumbria on 1 June 1941.

Zangwill , Israel , 1864-1926 , author and philanthropist

Israel Zangwill was born in London on 1 February 1864. He was educated at schools in Bristol and Plymouth. In 1873 his parents returned to London, where they sent Zangwill to the Jews' Free School at Spitalfields, London. He received a BA with triple honours from the University of London. He published his first literary work, a short story in the journal Society. His first novel, The Premier and the Painter, appeared in 1888. From 1888 to 1926 Zangwill wrote many novels and plays including, The Big Bow Mystery, 1891, Children of the Ghetto: A study of a Peculiar People, 1892-1893 and the play We Moderns, 1926. During his lifetime, Zangwill also worked as a teacher, a lawyer and editor of the journal Ariel. Zangwill was involved in the Zionist movement. In 1904 he founded the Jewish Territorial Organisation. He also became the president of several Jewish cultural organisations including the Jewish Historical Society of England and the Jewish Drama League. He wrote pamphlets and addressed meetings in America, Europe and Israel on Jewish life and politics. Zangwill died on 1 August 1926 at his home in Midhurst, Sussex.

Donizetti , Gaetano , 1797-1848 , operatic composer

Gaetano Donizetti was born on 29 November 1797 in Bergamo, modern day Italy. His first successful opera was Enrico di Borgogia, which appeared in Venice in 1818. Between 1818-1830 Donizetti composed 33 operas. Donizetti also composed operas in Paris and Vienna. In 1842 Emperor Ferdinand I appointed Donizetti the official composer to the Emperor. Donizetti's most important works include, Anna Bolena 1830, Lucia di Lammermoor 1835 and The Elixir of Love 1832. He died in Bergamo on 8 April 1848.

Hanley , James , 1901-1985 , author and playwright

Hanley, James (1901-1985), novelist and playwright, was born in Dublin in 1901, the son of Edward Hanley, a ship's stoker. The only school Hanley attended was St Alexandra's Roman Catholic primary school, near his home. At the age of twelve he left school and joined the merchant navy, serving in a submarine during the First World War. Three years later he jumped ship at New Brunswick to enlist in the Canadian Black Watch and eventually saw action in France. Invalided out of the army suffering from the effects of gas, he returned to the sea, working as a stoker on troop carriers, which he featured in some of his novels. He continued to educate himself, mainly by reading Russian literature, and having come ashore in the late 1920s earned a precarious living in a variety of jobs in docks, on the railway, and for a while at Aintree racecourse. Many of his early stories were published in the Liverpool Echo, the editor of which, E. Hope Prince, became his mentor.

Hanley's first novel, Drift (1930), and his first volume of stories, The German Prisoner (1930), were published shortly before his move to Wales, where he settled first at Glan Ceirw, Ty-nant, near Corwen in Merioneth, and then, in the autumn of 1941, at Bodynfoel Lodge and Tan-y-ffridd in the village of Llanfechain, Montgomeryshire. His second novel, Boy (1932), was originally published in an edition of 145 copies for subscribers only. An expurgated trade edition followed, but when in 1934 it was issued in a cheap edition, copies were seized by the police and the book was successfully prosecuted for obscenity. The publisher was fined £400 and copies of the book were burnt. Hanley forbade republication of the novel during his lifetime and it was not reissued until 1990.

The first of Hanley's novels about the Furys, a Liverpool Irish family, appeared in 1935 and a volume of autobiography, Broken Water, in 1937. On the outbreak of the Second World War he found work with the BBC and later with the Ministry of Information, but his home remained in Llanfechain until 1963, when he and his wife moved to London. During the war he wrote three novels of the sea which are among his best work: Hollow Sea (1938), The Ocean (1941), and Sailor's Song (1943). He also wrote the autobiographical No Directions (1943). Many of his stories and radio plays were broadcast on the BBC Third Programme during the 1940s. During his long residence in Wales, Hanley wrote four books: a collection of essays, 'Don Quixote Drowned' (1953), and the novels The Welsh Sonata (1954), Another World (1971), and A Kingdom (1978). His Selected Stories appeared in 1947 and Collected Stories in 1953. Hanley of bronchial pneumonia died in November 1985.

University of London , Academic Council

The Academic Council was created by the Statutes of 13 February 1900 to provide advice on the 'Internal' side of the University's activities. The Council was composed of 16 Senators representing Faculties (2 each), plus the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Chairman of Convocation, together with other Senators sufficient to make the number up to 20.

The Academic Council had an advisory role only, on such matters as: the assignment of funds for the erection or extension of buildings or equipment in the University or Schools of the University; the appointment of Professors, Assistant Professors, Readers or Lecturers of the University and generally upon any matter relating to the Internal Students.

The Academic Council's role was revised by the Hilton Young reforms (named after Hilton Young, who produced the Hilton Young Report 1926), embodied in the Statutes of 23 July 1928. These reforms allocated executive functions to the Council in the following areas previously exercised by the Senate:

The constitution and personnel of Faculties, Boards of Studies and the regulation and co-ordination of their work.
The admission or retention of public educational institutions as Schools.
The establishment or abolition of posts of Professors, Readers and Lecturers of the University and the duties, tenure, remuneration and conditions of service, retirement and superannuation which shall apply to persons appointed to such posts.
The recognition of teachers.
The establishment of degrees, diplomas and certificates of proficiency for Internal Students
The regulation of courses of study for Internal Students.
The recognition of courses of study for Associate Students.
The regulation, conduct and superintendence of examinations for Internal Students and the appointment of Examiners for such examinations.
The conditions under which the Higher School Examination of the University may be accepted in whole or in part, as equivalent of the Intermediate Examination for internal Students.
Such other matters as the Senate may prescribe.

The Academic Council lost its role in giving advice on the assignment of funds for building and equipment. This role was taken over by the Court in 1928. The 1928 reforms also enlarged the Academic Council to include: 2 ex officio members (Vice-Chancellor and Principal- these were already in the AC from 1900 as in para 1), 17 Senators representing the Faculties and 9 other Senators.

With the exception of an amendment of 1951 on account of the creation of G.C.E. examinations, the Statutes concerning the Academic Council remained unchanged until the 'Saunders reforms' (named after the chairman of the Committee on Academic Organisation Sir Owen Saunders) of 1966. Under these changes the Faculty Boards were abolished (replaced by Academic Advisory Boards), the membership of the Boards of Studies was extended to include all tenured Teachers in Schools and the programme of School-sponsored degrees was extended.

The Statutes of 17 December 1980 brought about further changes to the Academic Council. The composition has been enlarged to consist of the Vice-Chancellor, the Principal, the forty members of the Senate elected by the teachers, the ten members of the Senate to be co-opted from the Recognised Teachers, and other persons exceeding nine in number annually appointed to the Senate.

From the session 1984/85 the Council for External Students was retitled, 'the Committee for External Students' of the Academic Council, while the Council for Extra -Mural Studies became the 'Committee for Extra Mural Studies. The University Entrance Requirements Committee became a committee directly constituted by the Senate. These new committees reported to the Academic Council.

Athlone Press

The Athlone Press was founded in 1948 as the University of London publishing house. It was sold to the Bemrose Corporation in 1979.

University of London , Brown Animal Sanatory Institution

In 1852 Thomas Brown bequeathed a sum of money to the University for founding, ' an Institution for investigating, studying and endeavouring to cure maladies, distempers and injuries, any Quadrupeds or Birds useful to man may be found subject to.' The Senate allowed funds from the bequest to accumulate for nineteen years and in 1871 with a total sum of £33, 800 built the Brown Institution in Battersea.

The management of the Institution was under the control of a committee, which was responsible to the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Fellows of the University of London. The Committee of Management consisted of the Vice-Chancellor, not less than six members of the Senate, 'medical men'. The Committee was required to frame bye-laws, rules and regulations, govern the finances for the maintenance of the Institution, regulate the conditions of reception of the animals and the purchase of diseased animals for the promotion of science. The business of the institution was under the direction and control of the superintendent and was conducted in two departments, the Hospital and the Laboratory.

In the Hospital, where sick animals were treated, the Superintendent had the aid of a qualified veterinary surgeon. In the Laboratory research on animal diseases, animal physiology, surgical procedures and animal nutrition was conducted under the direction of the Superintendent. Scientific investigations were also undertaken for public bodies and institutions. These included The Royal Society, The Local Government Board and The Veterinary Department of the Army. Under the terms of Thomas Brown's Will the Professor Superintendent was obliged to give at least five lectures a year in English free to the public.

At the outbreak of the Second World War the hospital was closed owing to the departure of the Veterinary Assistant for the Army. In 1940 and 1943 the Institution sustained bomb damage. Further damage was incurred in February 1944 by flying bombs. The final destruction of the buildings occurred on 20 July 1944. This marked the end of the Institution's working life. After the War, the London County Council made a compulsory purchase order for the site where the Institution stood and in 1953 paid the University of London £4 700 for it. By that time it had been decided not to rebuild the Institution.

After twenty-five years of legal wrangling it was decided that the Trust Fund should be divided into two and it was shared between the University of London and Trinity College, Dublin. The income from the London share was used to maintain a Fellowship in veterinary pathology at the Royal Veterinary College.

The University of London Centre of International and Area Studies was established in October 1969. The objects of the Centre were to promote and co-ordinate international and area studies at the graduate and advanced level and to provide opportunities for collaboration between members of the University and other interested persons. The Centre was under the direction of a Committee of Management, appointed annually by the Senate. The Centre was closed on the 30 September 1980.

University of London , Collegiate Council

The Collegiate Council was created on the recommendation of the Hilton Young Report (1926) by the Statutes of 1928, with the aim of strengthening the voice of the Schools of the University in the constitutional apparatus and avoiding the faction fighting in the Senate, which had characterised it from 1900. The composition of the Collegiate Council varied, but it initially comprised of the Vice-Chancellor, the Principal and the heads of Schools.

Statute 80 defined the Collegiate Council's duties as:

Enabling each School to take an appropriate and adequate share in University teaching.Securing the most advantageous distribution among the institutions of teachers, equipment and facilities for study and research on such matters as the Senate may prescribe.

However, the Collegiate Council never acquired the influence that the Hilton Young Commission had intended, particularly in the respect of the allocation of resources. Instead it concentrated mainly on the management of central student facilities, such as Athletic Grounds and the University of London Union and such matters which fell exclusively with in the jurisdictions of Schools. For example the creation of a uniform policy on non-Appointed Teachers and members of technical, clerical and clinical staffs.

In 1980, as part of the wider changes in the governance of the University, the terms of reference of the Collegiate Council were redrawn. The duties of the Collegiate Council now included:

to encourage co-operation between Schools;
to make recommendations to the Senate on all matters for which coordinated policies or actions between or on behalf of the Schools appears desirable to the Council;
to formulate the collective view of Heads of Schools and Senate Institutions;
to advise Senate on matters affecting student members of the university which do not fall primarily within the responsibility of individual Schools or of the Academic Council;
to appoint, on behalf of the Senate, bodies to manage such residential, sporting, social and other recreational amenities for students of the University;
to exercise such powers as the Senate may delegate to it.

University of London , Children's Outing Group

The University of London Children's Outing Group was organised to arrange summer and winter outings for children in care in London's children's homes and to offer support and assistance to children and their families. The group also undertook various fund raising activities to raise money for the group and other organisations offering care and support to children.

University of London , Institute of Commonwealth Studies

The Institute of Commonwealth Studies was founded in 1949 as part of the University of London to promote advanced study of the Commonwealth. It became part of the School of Advance Study in 1994. The Institute offers opportunities for graduate study, houses several research projects and offers a full conference and seminar programme.

Department of Extra-Mural Studies , University of London

In 1876 the London Society for the Extension of University Education was founded with the aim of encouraging working people into higher education. In 1900 it became the Board to Promote the Extension of University Teaching (BPEUT) and became part of the University of London. The BPEUT became the University Extension and Tutorial Classes Council in 1928. This body was replaced by the Council of Extra-Mural Studies (later the Department of Extra-Mural Studies). The Department was integrated into Birkbeck College in 1988 and was initially known as the Centre for Extra-Mural Studies.

The Finance and General Purposes Committee, which was also known as the Joint Finance and General Purposes Committee between 1966 and 1983, was created in 1901. The Committee was responsible for the central administration of the University, including the appointments, and conditions of service and examination finances. Through the Services Sub-committee the Finance and General Purposes Committee was responsible to the Senate and the Court for the maintenance of the Senate House and other University buildings. Under the heading of General Purposes the Committee dealt with residual matters not falling within the purview of the Statutory Councils.

In the mid-1980s the University felt that the FGPC was not well placed to form judgements on a number of matters within its remit, particularly those dealing with the Central administration of the University and its Terms of Reference precluded consideration of the academic work of the Senate Institutes and Activities. Taking on board the recommendations of the Jarratt Report 1986, the Senate decided to dissolve the FPGC in 1987.

Following the publication in 1971 of the report of the Committee on Library Resources- an ad hoc body charged with investigating the problems of library provision within the University of London- the Senate set up in 1973 a Library Resources Co-ordinating Committee with responsibility for the administration and development of the University's central library services, including the University Library, the Extra Mural Library and the Depository Library, and for promoting the co-ordination and rationalisation of library activity in the University as a whole.

The work of the LRCC was carried out by a co-ordinating staff under the Director of Central Library Services, who was also Goldsmith's Librarian of the University Library, with offices in the University Library. The LRCC organised an extensive programme of automation: the Union List of Serials, the Shared Cataloguing System includes ten libraries and produces a Union Catalogue of Current Acquisitions containing 267 000 general records and 335 000 local records. The Central Book Fund makes grants to libraries for developing their special collections. The Central Information Service carried out research and development on computerised information storage and retrieval systems and provided training courses.

University of London , Registrar's Collection

The Registrar's Collection is an entirely artificial collection, since the Registrar did not create it; indeed there are papers within the collection that were created after the Office of the Registrar was abolished in 1901.

This collection comprises of records brought together by Miss Dorothy Matthew, a former member of the Court Department, between 1950 and 1954 and records found in the University Library book stack in the late 1970s, early 1980s.

University of London , School Examinations Board

The School Examination Board was a standing committee of the Senate and was concerned with public examinations primarily designed for pupils in secondary schools.

The University of London has conducted examinations for school pupils since 1838 when the London Matriculation Examination was introduced to determine the admission of candidates for a degree course of the university. The 'London Matric' was open to anyone over the age of 16 and became widely used for purposes other than university entrance.

In 1900 the University was reconstituted and a Matriculation Board was established to conduct the Matriculation Examination and to advise the Senate on matters relating to the admission of students. The Education Act 1902 resulted in the expansion of secondary education and the need was recognised to rationalise the many school leaving examinations, including those conducted by universities, which had developed side by side with the Matriculation Examination. The School Certificate and Higher School Certificate examinations for pupils were introduced in 1918 and following the acceptance of the University as an approved examining body by the Board of Education, the new examinations were conducted on behalf of the University by the Board to Promote the Extension of University Teaching.

Three years after the Hilton Young Report 1926, and the passing of the University of London Act 1926, the Statutes of the University were altered and a new body, the Matriculation and School Examinations Council, was given the dual task of dealing with the Matriculation Examination and the School Certificate Examinations. The Council continued in existence until 1951 when the General Certificate of Education Examination, open to all not just school pupils, replaced the School Certificate and Higher School Certificate Examinations which had been restricted to school children. The Matriculation Examination was abolished and the Council was renamed the University Entrance and School Examinations Council.

University of London , Vice Chancellor and Principal

The first Vice-Chancellor was Sir John William Lubbock who served between 1836 and 1842. The duties of the Vice-Chancellor have been altered by successive changes to the constitution of the University of London. According to Statutes 11 to 14 created by the University of London Act 1978 the Vice-Chancellor is chosen from among the members of the university. The Senate appoints the Vice-Chancellor after it has consulted with and obtained concurrence of the Court. The term of service is not less than two years and not more than four.

The Vice-Chancellor is the academic and administrative head of the University and is a member of the Court, Senate, and all the Standing Committees of the Senate and of Convocation. In the absence of the Chancellor the Vice-Chancellor presides at all meetings of the Senate. The Vice-Chancellor is permitted to take action on behalf of the University in any matter that he deems to be urgent or non-contentious. The Vice-Chancellor can also delegate any of his duties and powers to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, the Chairmen of Standing Committees of the Senate and to any member of the Senate. The Vice-Chancellor may also delegate any of his administrative duties and powers to the Principal.

The post of Principal was created by the Statutes of the University of London Act 1900. The first Principal of the University of London was Sir Arthur Rücker who served between 1901 and 1908.

The Principal's functions and duties have been altered by successive changes to the constitution of the University of London. Statute 19 created by the University of London Act 1978 define the Principal as the 'senior administrative officer of the University and responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for organising and conducting the financial and administrative business of the University in accordance with the decisions of the Court and the Senate.' The Principle was appointed by the Senate and is a member of the Senate and of every Standing Committee of the Senate. He also processes the right to attend and speak at meetings of the Court and its committees.

Born, 1874; educated at St Paul's School; studied botany at Magdalen College, Oxford, graduating, 1896; called to the bar, 1898; studied zoology at Oxford, 1899; Assistant Naturalist, Marine Biological Association's Laboratory, Plymouth, 1900; Director of the Sutton Broad Laboratory, Norfolk, 1902; Naturalist to Ulster Fishery and Biology Department, Northern Ireland; Assistant in Biology at Queen's College, Belfast, 1906; Lecturer in Botany at Queen's University, Belfast; Lecturer in Entomology, University of Cambridge, 1913; served with the Royal Army Medical Corps, 1915-[1916]; Lecturer in Zoology (Entomology), University of Cambridge, 1917; Professor of Entomology, Imperial College, 1925-1930; President, Royal Microscopical Society, 1934-1935; Vice-President, Royal Entomological Society, 1934-1935; President, Zoological Section of the Royal Association, 1935; President, Association of British Zoologists, 1935; President, Society for British Entomology, 1939; died, 1967.
Publications: include: Keys to the Orders of Insects; Concerning the Habits of Insects; Textbook of Practical Entomology (1932).

Dannatt , Cecil William , 1892-1961 , metallurgist

Born, 1892; studied at the Royal School of Mines (Imperial College), 1910-1914; staff, from 1923, Reader in Metallurgy, 1937, Professor of Metallurgy, 1945-1957, Royal School of Mines; died, 1961.

Born, 1886; educated at Eton, University College London; Reader in Thermodynamics, Oxford University, 1921-1936; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1923; Professor of Chemical Technology, Imperial College, 1936-1952; Secretary, Royal Society, 1938-1948; Knighted, 1943; Rumford medal of the Royal Society, 1946; Chairman of Scientific Advisory Council to Minister of Fuel and Power, 1948-1953; Director, Salters Institute of Industrial Chemistry, 1949-1959; Emeritus Professor of Chemical Technology, University of London, 1953-1959; Chairman, Commonwealth Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, India, 1954; died, 1959.

Publications: The 1939 Callendar Steam Tables with G S Callendar (E Arnold & Co, London, 1939); editor of Fuel; lectures and papers largely relating to combustion and utilization of energy.

Born, 1913; educated at Westmount High School; Queen's University, Canada; metallurgist with Canadian goldmining companies, 1936-1941; Royal Canadian Air Force navigator, 1941-1946, Flight Lieutenant, 1943; Lecturer, 1946-1951, Senior Lecturer, 1951-1958, Reader, 1958-1961, Professor of Mineral Technology, 1961, Head of Department of Mining and Mineral Technology, 1967-1974, Royal School of Mines (Imperial College); Dean, 1968-1971, Pro-Rector, 1974-1979, Imperial College; Head of Department of Mineral Resources Engineering, 1979-1980, Royal School of Mines (Imperial College); mineral processing consultant to governments, mining companies, 1946-; Chairman, Mineral Processing Committee, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research and Ministry of Technology, 1959-1966; Chairman, Advisory Panel, British Coal Utilization Research Association, 1961-1966; member, Committee on Overseas Geology and Mining, 1962-1963; Chairman, Advisory Panel, British Coal Utilization Research Association, 1961-1966; member, Institution of Mining and Metallurgy Council, 1962-1983, Vice-President, 1968-1971, President, 1971-1972; British representative, Scientific Committee, International Mineral Processing Congress, 1963-1982, Chairman, 1973-1975; Honorary Associate, Royal School of Mines, 1966; Governor, Imperial College, 1968-1980; member, Council of Mining and Metallurgy Institutions, 1969-, Vice-Chairman, 1971-1976, Chairman, 1976-; Court of Governors, Camborne School of Mines, 1971-1982; member, Committee on Mineral Planning Control, Department of the Environment, 1972-1975; Chemicals and Minerals Requirements Board, Department of Industry, 1972-1975; Council of Mining and Metallurgy Institutions, 1969-, Vice-Chairman, 1971-1976, Chairman, 1976-; Professor Emeritus, 1980; Institution of Mining and Metallurgy Gold Medal, 1981; Fellow of Imperial College, 1982; died, 1982.

Publications: include: Mineral Technology-Progress and Problems (London, [1962]) [Imperial College of Science and Technology Inaugural Lecture]; Identification of Mineral Grains with Meurig Powell Ones (Elsevier Publishing Co, Amsterdam, 1965).

Gabor , Dennis , 1900-1979 , physicist

Born, 1900, Hungary; studied mechanical engineering at Joseph Technical High School, Budapest, 1918-1921, and Electrical Engineering Department, Technische Hochschule, Berlin, 1921-1924; awarded Diplom-Arbeit, 1924; awarded PhD, 1927; Research associate, German Research Association for High Voltage Plants, 1926-1927; Research engineer, Siemens and Halske AG, Berlin-Siemensstadt, 1927-1933; Research engineer, British Thomson Houston Company, Rugby, 1934-1948; Reader in Electron Physics, Imperial College, 1948-1958; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1956; Professor of Applied Electron Physics, Imperial College, 1958-1967; Senior Research Fellow, Imperial College, 1967-1976; Professor Emeritus, Imperial College, 1967-1979; Staff Scientist, CBS Laboratories, Stamford, Connecticut, USA, 1967-1979; CBE, 1970; Nobel prize in Physics, 1971; inventor of holography; died, 1979.

Publications: Electron Optics ... A lecture (Reprinted from "Electronic Engineering.") [1943]; The Electron Microscope (Electronic Engineering, London, 1948, second edition); Electronic Inventions and their Impact on Civilization (Inaugural lecture as Professor of Applied Electronic Physics) Imperial College of Science and Technology (London, 1959); Inventing the Future (Secker & Warburg, London, 1963); The Mature Society (London, Secker and Warburg, 1972); The proper priorities of science and technology (Southampton, University of Southampton, 1972); scientific papers on electrical transients, gas discharges, electron dynamics, communication theory and physical optics.

Gregory , Frederick Gugenheim , 1893-1961 , botanist

Born, London, 1893; educated at Dame Alice Owen's School; Royal College of Science (Imperial College), 1912-1915; conducted research at Institute of Plant Physiology; Horticultural Research Station, Cheshunt; Rothamsted Experimental Station; member of staff, Imperial College, 1932; Professor of Plant Physiology, Imperial College, 1937-1958; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1940; Royal medal of the Royal Society, 1957; Emeritus Professor, 1959-1961; died, 1961.

Publications: scientific papers in botanical journals.

Born, Ealing, London, 1825; studied medicine; Assistant Surgeon, surveying ship HMS RATTLESNAKE around Australia, 1846-1850; Lecturer in Natural History, School of Mines, 1854; Naturalist to the Geological Survey, 1854; Hunterian professor, Royal College of Surgeons, 1863-1869; Fullerian professor, Royal Institution, 1863-1867; Professor of Biology and Dean, Normal School of Science (later Royal College of Chemistry), 1881-1895; Dean, Royal School of Mines, 1881-1895; Honorary Professor of Biology, 1885-1895; foremost advocate in England of Darwin's theory of evolution; died, 1895.
Publications: include: On the educational value of the natural history sciences (London, 1854); The Oceanic Hydrozoa; a description of the Calycophoridae and Physophoridae observed during the voyage of HMS "Rattlesnake" in the years 1846-50 (London, 1859); Lectures on the Elements of Comparative Anatomy vol 1 (London, 1864); A catalogue of the collection of Fossils in the Museum of Practical Geology, with an explanatory introduction with Robert Etheridge (London, 1865); Lessons in Elementary Physiology (London, 1866); An Introduction to the Classification of Animals (London, 1869); Lay Sermons, Addresses, and Reviews (London, 1870); A Manual of the Anatomy of vertebrated animals (London, 1871); More Criticisms on Darwin, and Administrative Nihilism (D Appleton & Co, New York, 1872); A course of practical instruction in elementary biology assisted by H N Martin (London, Cambridge [printed], 1875); A Manual of the anatomy of Invertebrated Animals (London, 1877); Physiography: an introduction to the study of nature (London, 1877); Fish Diseases (London, 1883); Evolution and Ethics (The Romanes Lecture, 1893) (Macmillan and Co, London, 1893); Man's Place in Nature, and other essays [1906]; Collected Essays 9 vol (Macmillan and Co, London, 1894-1908); The Scientific Memoirs of T H Huxley edited by Professor Michael Foster and Professor E Ray Lankester 5 vol (Macmillan & Co, London, 1898-1903).

Born London, 1902; educated at the City of London School; read chemistry at Imperial College, London and graduated, 1923; awarded PhD, 1926; Demonstrator and Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, 1929-1938; Firth Professor of Chemistry at Sheffield University, 1938; Chair of Organic Chemistry at Harvard University, 1939-1945; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1940; Deputy Director of Scientific Research in the Ministry of Supply, UK, 1942; Director of the Chemical Research Laboratory of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research at Teddington, 1945; Professor of Organic Chemistry, Imperial College, 1949; Rector of Imperial College, 1955-1966; Knighted, 1959; Foreign Secretary of the Royal Society, 1960-1965; died, 1966.
Publications: A Course in Modern Techniques of Organic Chemistry with J A Elvidge and Margaret Whalley (Butterworths Scientific Publications, London, 1955); Chemistry and the Amenities of Life; The Future of the Imperial College, etc [London, 1955]; A Guide to Qualitative Organic Chemical Analysis with Basil Charles Leicester Weedon (Butterworths Scientific Publications, London, 1956).

McGee , James Dwyer , 1903-1987 , physicist

Born, Canberra, Australia, 1903; Professor of Applied Physics, Imperial College, 1954-1971; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1966; Senior Research Fellow, Department of Physics, Imperial College, 1971-1980; died, 1987.

Born, 1858; studied at the Universities of Aberdeen and Edinburgh; Assistant Professor of Natural Philosophy, University of Aberdeen, 1880-1881; Science Master, Gordon's College, Aberdeen, 1882-1886; Principal, Heriot-Watt College, Edinburgh, 1886-1900; Professor of Applied Physics, 1887-1890; Director, Edinburgh Museum of Science and Art, 1900-1903; Principal Assistant Secretary (Technology and Higher Education in Science and Art), Board of Education, 1903-1910; Governor, Imperial College, 1907-1930; Secretary, Board of Education, for the Science Museum and Geological Survey, 1910-1920; Director, Science Museum, 1911-1920; Principal Assistant Secretary, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, 1920-1922; member, Senate of the University of London, 1925-1929; Chairman, Geological Survey Board, 1920-1930; member, Exhibition of 1851, 1909-1930, President, Museums Association, 1927-1928; died, 1930.

Philip , James Charles , 1873-1941 , chemist

Born, Kincardineshire, Scotland,1873; educated at Fordoun Public School; Aberdeen Grammar School; Aberdeen University; Göttingen University, Germany, 1896-1897; Assistant to C T Heycock and F H Neville of Cambridge; worked at the Central Technical College research laboratory, 1897-1898; part-time lecturer, 1899, Demonstrator and Lecturer in Physical Chemistry, 1900, Royal College of Science; Assistant Professor of Chemistry, 1909-1913, Professor of Physical Chemistry, 1913-1938, Imperial College; OBE, 1918; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1921; Secretary, 1913-1924, and President, 1941, of the Chemical Society; Chairman, Bureau of Chemical Abstracts, 1923-1932; Member of the Senate, University of London, 1932-1938; President, Section B (Chemistry), British Association, 1936; Professor Emeritus of Physical Chemistry; Deputy Rector, Imperial College, 1939; President, Society of Chemical Industry, 1939-1941; died, 1941.

Publications: include: Physical Chemistry; its bearing on biology and medicine (Edward Arnold, London, 1910); The Romance of Modern Chemistry. A description in non-technical language of the diverse and wonderful ways in which chemical forces are at work, and of their manifold application in modern life (Seeley & Co, London, 1910); Achievements of Chemical Science (1913); The Chemical Society, 1841-1941. A historical review with Tom Sidney Moore (London, 1947).

Born, 1846; educated at Eton; admitted solicitor, 1870; Assistant Clerk, 1871-1882, and Clerk, 1882-1918, Goldsmith's Company; Knighted, 1891; Governor, Imperial College, representing the City and Guild's of London Institute, 1908-1919; died, 1928.

Publication: Memorials of the Goldsmiths' Company. Being gleanings from their records between the years 1335 and 1815 2 vol (Printed for private circulation, [London, 1896]).