Born 1896; served in World War One, 1914-1918; commissioned into the Corps of Royal Engineers, 1915; served in Egypt, 1915-1916; Egyptian Expeditionary Force, 1916; Lt, 1916; service with Royal Engineers in Salonika, 1916-1918; Capt, 1918; served in Waziristan, North West Frontier, India, 1921-1924; Staff Capt, War Office, 1927-1930; Maj, 1930; Chief Instructor, Army Technical School (Boys), 1931-1933; Staff Officer Royal Engineers 2, India, 1936-1939; Lt Col, 1938; served in World War Two, 1939-1945; Assistant Director of Works, 1939; temporary Col, 1941; service in Palestine, 1948; Hon Col, 1948; retired 1948; died 1983.
Born in 1907; commissioned into Army, 1926; served with 4 Prince of Wales's Own Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army, 1927-1947; Lt, 1928; Capt, 1935; ADC to Sir Henry (Duffield) Craik, Bt, Governor of Punjab, 1935-[1939]; served in India and Italy, 1944; Commandant, Garlochhead Training Camp, Helensburgh, 1962-1964; died in 1986.
in 1903; served with 2 Royal Welch Fusiliers; service in West Africa, 1929-1935; instructor at Small Arms School, Netheravon, 1935-1938; Brigade Maj, Royal Welch Brigade, 1938-1940; service in Norway, 1940; service with 30 East African Brigade, 1942-1943; service with 29 Independent Brigade, 1943-1945; commander of 82 (West African) Division, 1945-1946; service in Burma, 1943-1946; commander, Home Counties District, 1946-1947; commander, 6 Airborne Division, Palestine, 1947-1948; Commandant, Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, 1948-1950; Colonel, the Royal Welch Fusiliers, 1952-1965; 1 Corps, British Army of the Rhine, 1954-1956; Colonel, the Royal Malay Regiment, 1954-1959; Ground Forces, Suez Operation, 1956; Gen, 1957; Military Secretary to the Secretary of State for War, 1957-1959; Colonel Commandant, Army Air Corps, 1957-1963; Colonel Commandant, Royal Army, 1959-1964; Adjutant General to the Forces, 1959-1960; ADC General to the Queen, 1959-1962; Deputy Supreme Allied Commander, Europe, 1960-1964; retired, 1964; died in 1986.
Born 1895; educated at Clifton and Royal Military Academy, Woolwich; commissioned into Royal Engineers, 1914; served in World War One, 1914-1918; Lt, 1915; Capt, 1917; awarded MC, 1917; Maj, 1929; Staff Capt, War Office, 1932-1934; employed on Air Staff duties, RAF, 1934-1935; General Staff Officer 2, Malta, 1936-1937; Lt Col, 1937; service in Palestine, 1937-1939; served in World War Two, 1939-1945; awarded OBE, 1940; Col, 1940; General Staff Officer 1, 1940; service in UK, 1940-1942; acting Brig, 1941; Normandy landings and invasion of the Netherlands, 1944; awarded CBE, 1944; served in Greece, Palestine and Egypt, 1946; retired 1948; Hon Brig, 1948; Controller, Technical and General Services, Atomic Research Centre, Aldermaston, Berkshire, 1950-1958; died 1983.
Born 1912; educated at Wellington and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst; commissioned into The Devonshire Regt, 1932; Lt, 1935; service as Intelligence Officer, 14 Infantry Bde, Palestine, 1938; awarded MC, 1938; General Staff Officer 3, British Forces in Palestine and Transjordan, 1939-1940; served in World War Two, 1939-1945, with the Rifle Brigade, 1 Special Air Service Regt (SAS), and in Yugoslavia; acting Capt, 1939-1940; General Staff Officer 3, General Headquarters, Middle East, Cairo, Egypt, 1940; Capt, 1940; service in Kenya, 1940; attended Staff Course, Haifa, Palestine, 1940; General Staff Officer 3, G2, Force Headquarters, Athens, Greece, 1941; Officer in charge of beach at Port Raphtis during Allied evacuation of Greece, 1941; General Staff Officer 2, 1941; awarded OBE, 1941; General Staff Officer 2, General Headquarters, Middle East, 1941-1942; War Substantive Maj, 1942; General Staff Officer 1, 1942; acting Lt Col, 1942; service with 1 Special Air Service Regt (SAS), based at Kabrit, Egypt, and raided behind enemy lines, North Africa, 1942-1943; captured by Italians, 1942; escaped from torpedoed Italian submarine, 1943; service with Rifle Bde, Tunisia, 1943; General Staff Officer 1, 1943-1944; awarded DSO, 1944; Assistant Quartermaster General, 1944; General Staff Officer 1 and Second in Command, British Military Mission, Yugoslavia, 1944; commanded Bde, 1945; Maj, 1946; General Staff Officer 2, War Office, 1946-1947; General Staff Officer 2, Anti-Aircraft Command, 1947-1948; General Staff Officer 2, Directing Staff, Staff College, Camberley, Surrey, 1948-1950; General Staff Officer 1, Defence Ministry, 1950-1952; Brevet Lt Col, 1951; Lt Col, 1953; Col, 1954; temporary Brig, 1954; commanded Parachute Bde, Territorial Army, 1954-1956; Deputy Director of Staff Duties, War Office, 1956-1957; awarded CBE, 1958; Military Adviser to Hussein bin Talal, King of Jordan, 1959-1961; Brig, 1960; Maj Gen, 1961; General Officer Commanding 3 Div, 1961-1962; awarded CMG, 1962; retired 1963; Justice of the Peace, 1966; Member, National Hunt Committee, 1967; Chairman, Save the Children Fund, 1967; died 1970.
Born in 1861; educated at Dulwich College; entered Army, 1879; served with No 4 Section Telegraph Bn, Royal Engineers, Sudan and Egypt, 1885-1887; Capt, 1889; Maj, 1898; Lt Col, 1905; Col, 1910; Maj Gen, 1916; Assistant Director, Fortifications, Works, War Office, 1910; Director of Works, British Armies in France, 1914-1919; Director of Works and Buildings, Air Ministry, 1919-1924; Col Commandant, Royal Engineers, 1929-1931; died in 1936.
Born in 1899; served with Queen's Royal Regt (West Surrey Regt), 1918-1935; joined British Council, 1935; Adjutant and Mobilising Officer, Intelligence Corps, BEF, 1939-1940; died in 1981.
Flag Officer, Signal Sqn, No 1 Electrical and Wireless School, 1937-1938; served with 10 Sqn, 1943-1944; died in 1995.
Born 1868; educated at University College School, Rugby School, Cheltenham, Blackheath Proprietary School and the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich; commissioned into the Corps of Royal Engineers, 1888; served in India, 1889-1894; Lt, 1891; Assistant Instructor in Fortification, School of Military Engineering, Chatham, Kent, 1896-1899; Capt, 1899; served in Second Boer War, South Africa, as Adjutant and later, Commanding Officer, 1 Bn, Railway Pioneer Regt, 1899-1902; awarded DSO, 1900; Staff Capt, Army Headquarters, War Office, 1905-1907; Maj, 1906; Chief Instructor in Fortification and geometrical drawing, Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, 1907-1910; Secretary, Historical Section, Committee of Imperial Defence, employed on the British Official History of the Russo-Japanese War, 1910-1913; awarded the Chesney Gold Medal, 1913; served in World War One, 1914-1918; Deputy Director of Railway Transport, 1914; Assistant Secretary (Military), Committee of Imperial Defence and War Cabinet, 1914-1917; Lt Col, 1915; originator of tanks, 1915-1916; temporary Col, 1915-1917; raised Heavy Section, Machine Gun Corps, 1916; Brevet Col, 1917; awarded CB, 1917; lecture tour of USA, 1918; retired 1919; Honorary Maj Gen, 1919; Controller of Information Department of Civil Aviation, Air Ministry, 1919-1921; Director, Citroen Company, 1922-1951; created KBE, 1923; Chichele Professor of Military History, Oxford University, 1925-1939; Col Commandant Royal Tank Corps, 1934-1938; died 1951.Publications: Under the pseudonym of Backsight Forethought, The defence of Duffer's Drift. A few experiences in field defence for detached posts which may prove useful in our next war (William Clowes and Sons, London, 1904); The truth about Port Arthur by E K Nozhin, edited by Swinton (John Murray, London, 1908); under the pseudonym of Ole Luk-Oie, The great tab dope (W Blackwood and Sons, London, 1915) and A year ago: eyewitness's narrative of the war from March 30th to July 18th, 1915, with Alan Ian Percy, 8th Duke of Northumberland [1916]; The Russian Army and the Japanese War, being historical and critical comments on the military policy and power of Russia and on the campaign in the Far East by Aleksei Nikolaevich Kuropatkin, edited by Swinton (John Murray, London, 1909); The tanks (Gill and Son, London, 1917); The study of war (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1926); translation of Albert, King of the Belgians in the Great War by Émile Joseph Galet (Putnam, London, 1931); Eyewitness. Being personal reminiscences of certain phases of the Great War, including the genesis of the tank (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1932); translation of An Eastern odyssey. The third expedition of Haardt and Audouin-Dubreuil by Georges Lefèvre (Victor Gollancz, London, 1935); Twenty years after. The battlefields of 1914-18, then and now (George Newnes, London, 1936); War commentary. Broadcasts delivered between October, 1939 and March, 1940 (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1940); The green curve omnibus (Faber and Faber, London, 1942); Over my shoulder. The autobiography of Major General Sir Ernest D Swinton (George Ronald, Oxford, 1951).
Born in 1907; educated at Loretto School and Royal Military College, Sandhurst; 2nd Lt, Seaforth Highlanders, 1927; Lt, 1930; served on North West Frontier, India, [1930-1931]; served at Seaforth Highlanders' Depot, Fort George, 1937-1938; Capt, 1938; joined British Military Mission, Iraq, 1939; served in North Africa, 1942-1943, and Sicily, 1943; taken prisoner by Germans in Sicily, 1943, and taken to Italy; escaped, recaptured by Italians and sought sanctuary in the Vatican City, 1943-1944; Maj, 1944; commanded 5 Seaforth Highlanders, 1945; commanded Seaforth Highlanders' Depot, Fort George, [1945-1950]; Lt Col, 1950; commanded 11 Seaforth Highlanders Territorial Army, 1950-1953; Commander, 152 Highland Infantry Bde, 1953; retired, 1953; died in 1980.
Born in 1896; educated at Bedales School, Petersfield and Nottingham High School; studied accounting in London, then worked for a firm of camera and lens makers in Berlin; joined Army Service Corps as a clerk, 1914; 2nd Lt and Lt, 1915; transferred to 2 Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regt); served in France, 1915-1916; killed in action, 1916.
Born in 1904; educated at Merchant Taylors' School; worked as a Lloyds marine broker from 1921-1925; began to write professionally while travelling in Argentina and Australia; worked as an author and feature writer on UK depressed areas, 1930-1939; worked as a special correspondent with The Morning Post for which he covered the Gran Chaco War, 1935-1936; on the outbreak of war in 1939 he joined the fire brigade and enlisted in the ranks in 1940; promoted to Capt in 1941, transferred to the Intelligence Corps for training; 1944 worked as a censor and a report writer on the mental and physical health of the 'D' Day forces; later in 1944 was released from the Army to work as war correspondent for The Sunday Times in Western Europe; travelled extensively in post war Europe and attended the Nuremberg trials; employed as a war correspondent for the Daily Telegraph during the Korean War; in 1951 settled in Suffolk to write full time on military subjects; his writing was highly regarded by his close friends Maj Sir Desmond John Falkiner Morton and Maj Gen Eric Edward Dorman O'Gowan (formerly Eric Edward Dorman Smith) and by Capt Sir Basil Henry Liddell Hart to whom he turned for professional advice and criticism, however his books never achieved critical success and he suffered from ill health and financial difficulties; died 1977. Publications: Argentine Interlude. The first roll of a rolling stone (Duckworth, London,1931); Down Under. An Australian Odyssey (Duckworth, London, 1932); Glory Hole (Duckworth, London, 1933); Wild Animal Man (Duckworth, London, 1934); Land of To-Morrow A story of South America, (Duckworth, London, 1936); To-Morrow We Live (Duckworth, London, 1936); An Englishman Looks at Wales (Arrowsmith, London, 1937); Home in Ham (Arrowsmith, Bristol,1938); Portrait of a Patriot.The story of the early life and rise to power of Juan Manuel de Rosas (Collins, London, Glasgow, 1939); Voice from the Wilderness. Being a record of my search for El Dorado and of those who have sought and found new lives (Faber & Faber, London, 1940); Germans and Japs in South America (Faber & Faber, London, 1942); Men Under Fire (Macdonald, London, 1946); Black Caribbean (Macdonald, London, 1946); Devil at my Heels. The record of a journey through Europe from the Arctic Ocean to the Black Sea in the aftermath of war (Macdonald, London, 1947); Voice from the Wilderness (Macdonald, London, 1947); Cry Korea (White Lion Publishers, 1974; Hamilton, London, 1956; Macdonald, London, 1951); 9 A.B. The challenge (Spalding & Levy, London, 1953); The Pink House in Angel Street, The story of a family (Dennis Dobson, London, 1954); Dieppe at dawn (White Lion Publishers, London, 1972; Hutchinson, London, 1956); The Eighty-Five Days (Four Square Books, London 1960; Hutchinson, London, 1957); The Battle for the Rhineland (Hutchinson, London, 1958); Boy in Blinkers (Robert Hale, London,1959); The Price of Victory (Constable, London, 1960); The Yankee Marlborough (George Allen & Unwin, London, 1963); An Echo of Trumpets (George Allen & Unwin, London, 1964); Spearhead of invasion: D-Day (Pan Books, London, 1972; Macdonald, London 1968); Montgomery, the Field Marshal: a critical study of the generalship of Field-Marshal the Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, K.G., and of the campaign in North-West Europe, 1944/45, (Allen & Unwin, London, 1969); Generalissimo Churchill (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1973); Churchill and Morton, the quest for insight in the correspondence of Major Sir Desmond Morton and the author R W Thompson (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1976).
The Children's Society was founded in 1881 by Edward De Mountjoie Rudolf, a young Sunday school teacher and civil servant. Two of his Sunday School pupils were found begging on the streets after their father had died. Their plight highlighted the fact that there were no Church of England Homes capable of taking children at short notice and without payment.
Rudolf gained support from within the Church of England (including the Archbishop of Canterbury) and the Church of England Central Home for Waifs and Strays was founded in 1881. The original intention was to provide Receiving Homes for boys and girls in each diocese, prior to finding them suitable permanent homes. The Society intended to board out (foster) the children "under guarantees for their proper maintenance and education in the principles of the Church of England." However, this quickly evolved into providing longer term Homes and in November 1883 the new name was adopted: Church of England Central Society for Providing Homes for Waifs and Strays.
The Society underwent two further name changes. In 1893, it became the Church of England Incorporated Society for Providing Homes for Waifs and Strays (commonly known as the Waifs and Strays Society). Then, in 1946, the name was changed to The Church of England Children's Society (commonly known as The Children's Society). In 1982, while its legal title remained the same, the name The Children's Society was formally adopted by the organisation.
By the last quarter of the twentieth century social attitudes had changed considerably from those which were prevalent when Edward Rudolf set up The Children's Society. Because of this, The Children's Society made major changes to the way it worked: it closed many children's homes, moving away from adoption and fostering and instead focusing on helping young people solve their own problems.
In 1969 The Children's Society opened its first day-care centre, Foulkes House in south London. The centre was successful and The Children's Society opened more across the country, often on the sites of its former residential nurseries.
In the 1990s, The Children's Society also began focusing working for social justice. This included new projects, lobbying to change legislation and welfare provision, and allowing young people to speak and act for themselves so they could shape their own lives.
One of the Geological Society's principal functions when it was formed was to hold scientific meetings where members could discuss the latest theories or discoveries in the field of geology. The original meetings were referred to as 'Ordinary General Meetings' or 'Ordinary Meetings' (see series GSL/OM), however by the 1970s the meeting format had changed, being more likely themed around a specific topic and hence developing into the 'Special' scientific meetings which are now held. These 'Special' meetings may be jointly sponsored by other bodies or held over a series of days. The series also includes national or international conferences which have some Geological Society involvement.
Up until the late 1990s, the Elected Officers (ie Treasurer, Foreign Secretary, Honorary Secretaries, etc) were far more involved in the day to day running of the Geological Society. Depending on their office and interest, each would act as chair on particular committees.
Historically the Assistant Secretary, later Permanent Secretary, was the first point of contact with the Society (besides the President and members of Council) and as the post holder also acted as editor of the Journal and occasionally the Librarian and Curator, the majority of the day to day correspondence and administration came through his office. By the late 1960s, the role had developed into what is now the Executive Secretary (essentially the Chief Executive of the Society), and although the postholder no longer has editorial duties, the office is still the central administrative department of the organisation. However it should be noted as some functions of the Society have developed, specific departments have been established to take over the running of some of these tasks, such as the Conference Office which now organises the scientific meetings. The Executive Secretary still ultimately oversees these subsidiary departments as well as sitting on most of the Society's major standing committees, therefore the Executive Secretary series still reflects most of the Society's functions.
Traditionally, if a Fellow is still a member of the Society when they die they received a formal, Society obituary which was published in one of the Society's serial publications. These obituaries have not been collated as they are easily retrievable in their published form. Instead this series consists of externally published obituaries or orders of service for Fellows and some members of staff which were mostly collected from the 1990s by Library staff. There is some material which is older, found loose among the backlog of other material and which has been added for ease of use.
It should be noted that the series will include ex members of the Society who resigned their Fellowship at some point before their death, but were kept for informational reasons.
From the beginnings of the Society, Members donated specimens, books and illustrations to the Library and Museum collections. The earliest mention of a portrait image being given was Louis Albert Necker's donation of an engraving of his maternal grandfather Horace Benedict de Saussure in December 1811 [no longer extant].
The Society also holds larger oil paintings and portrait busts of its Fellows, again acquired through donation or by purchase. However from the 1860s onwards, when commercial photography became more available, the Society actively sought to collect images of its Fellows probably inspired by a printed notice issued by the photographer's studio Maull and Polyblank announcing the formation of a carte de visite series of Geological Society Fellows (LDGSL/332). The majority of the images in the portrait collection derive from this series, stopping around the First World War. After the 1930s, and up until the 1990s, portraits were generally only collected of Presidents of the Society.
Several of the documents mention Sir W S Prideaux, possibly Sir Walter Sherburne Prideaux, solicitor of Prideaux and Sons, Goldsmith's Hall. Presumably Prideaux was acting in a professional capacity in these property transactions.
No information was available at the time of compilation.
Estienne Louis Geoffroy was son of Estienne François Geoffroy [1672-1731], and nephew of Claude Joseph Geoffroy [1685-1752], a member of the Faculté de Médecine of Paris.
William Collingwood Smith was a noted watercolourist, whose work was often featured in the London Illustrated News.
A militia force was raised from the civilian population of a county, in order to supplement the regular army in cases of emergency. In Middlesex they were called out at times of unrest. They came to be supplemented by volunteer forces, such as those raised by the 1794 Bill for "encouraging and disciplining such corps and companies of men as shall voluntarily enrol for the defence of their counties, towns and coasts or for the general defence of the Kingdom during the Present War [with France]".
There were around 300 militiamen in Middlesex in 1802. During the Napoleonic Wars this number rose to over 2000 by 1808 and 12,000 by 1812. More volunteer corps were raised in 1859, again in response to threat of French invasion. In 1881 the Army was organised into territorial regiments formed of regular, militia and volunteer battalions. Middlesex militia and volunteer battalions came under the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own).
The Volunteer Corps were predecessors of the modern Territorial Army. They were first formed in 1859 to counter French threats of invasion. In 1881 the Army was organised into territorial regiments formed of regular, militia and volunteer battalions. Middlesex volunteer battalions came under the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own).
The documentary was produced by 3BM for Channel 4, Oregon Public Broadcasting, RTL and ITEL. 3BM is an independent television production company founded in October 1995 by Jeremy Bennett, Simon Berthon, Marion Milne and Malcolm Brinkworth. It has offices in London and Bath and specialises in production of documentaries in the historical, current affairs and popular science and human interest fields.
The Berlin Airlift was produced by Jeremy Bennett and directed by Marion Milne. Other members of the production team included Professor Avi Shlaim, Historical Consultant; Tamzin Fry, Production Manager; Rosalind Bentley, Film Research; Helen Seaman, Research; and David Spiers, Editor.
The 49th (Post Office) Rifle Volunteers were formed in 1867 during the Fenian troubles from Special Constables recruited within the Post Office during that period. They later became the 24th (Post Office) Rifle Volunteers.
The 4th Middlesex Rifle Volunteer Corps were founded in 1860. They were known as the 'West London Rifles'. As their headquarters were in Kensington, this was changed to the 'Kensington Rifles' in 1905. In 1908 they became the 13th (Kensington) Battalion, part of the London Regiment of the Territorial Force Association.
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
Conveyances are transfers of land from one party to another, usually for money. Early forms of conveyance include feoffments, surrenders and admissions at manor courts (if the property was copyhold), final concords, common recoveries, bargains and sales and leases and releases.
Probate (also called proving a will) is the process of establishing the validity of a will, which was recorded in the grant of probate.
If a person died intestate (without a valid will) their money, goods and possessions passed to their next of kin through an administration (or letters of administration) which had the same form in law as a will.
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
Conveyances are transfers of land from one party to another, usually for money. Early forms of conveyance include feoffments, surrenders and admissions at manor courts (if the property was copyhold), final concords, common recoveries, bargains and sales and leases and releases.
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
Conveyances are transfers of land from one party to another, usually for money. Early forms of conveyance include feoffments, surrenders and admissions at manor courts (if the property was copyhold), final concords, common recoveries, bargains and sales and leases and releases.
Abstract of title is a summary of prior ownership of a property, drawn up by solicitors. Such an abstract may go back several hundred years or just a few months, and was usually drawn up just prior to a sale.
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
A. Hunt and Company were office fitters and furnishers of 11 Bell Yard, Gracechurch Street.
A J Smith and Company, off-licence and wine merchants, were a subsidiary of William Perry Wine Merchants Limited which was purchased by the Victoria Wine Company Limited (see LMA/4434/P).
Letter, written in Afrikaans, by A J Tapper, during the Siege of Ladysmith, Second Boer War, 1899-1900, and acquired by Sgt Dodderidge, who served with the Rifle Bde during the Second Boer War
A Langley and Company Limited were cooked eel merchants, trading from 28 Monument Street.
No information was available at the time of compilation.
Probate is defined as the official proving of a will and the legal process involving this. It also refers to the officially verified copy of the will delivered to the executors, together with a document issued under the seal of the court, certifying that it has been proved and granting them authority.
Shepherd's Hill road runs from Archway Road, near Highgate tube station, to Park Road in Crouch End.
This company was registered in 1913 to acquire Kajang estates in Selangor, Malaya. Harrisons and Crosfield Limited (CLC/B/112) replaced Bright and Galbraith as secretaries and agents in 1952, and Harrisons and Crosfield (Malaya) Limited (CLC/B/112-071) acted as local agents from 1953. Abaco (Selangor) Rubber Limited went into voluntary liquidation in 1953-6.
A deed is any document affecting title, that is, proof of ownership, of the land in question. The land may or may not have buildings upon it. Common types of deed include conveyances, mortgages, bonds, grants of easements, wills and administrations.
An assignment of term, or assignment to attend the inheritance, was an assignment of the remaining term of years in a mortgage to a trustee after the mortgage itself has been redeemed. An assignment of a lease is the transfer of the rights laid out in the lease to another party, usually for a consideration (a sum of money).
From the British Records Association "Guidelines 3 - Interpreting Deeds: How To Interpret Deeds - A Simple Guide And Glossary".
Building Societies receive for investment in Shares or upon Deposit the savings of the people and from this fund make loans to assist individuals in acquiring their own homes. The first building society was founded in the 1770s. Originally most were 'terminating societies' that closed once all the members had been housed. The statutory frame-work relating to building societies dates from the 1836 'Regulation of Benefit and Building Societies Act'. From 1830s 'permanent building societies' started to appear that continued on a rolling basis and a decade later building societies started to accept savings from those not holding a mortgage.
The biggest upheaval to the industry came in 1986 with the 'New Building Societies Act'. As well as granting societies wider powers, the Act gave building societies the option to "demutalise". Abbey National was the first building society to do so in 1989.
Abbey National Building Society:
Formed in 1944 as Abbey National Building Society through the merger of the National Permanent Mutual Benefit Building Society and the Abbey Road Building Society. In 1989 Abbey National took advantage of the provisions of the 1986 New Building Societies Act to demutualise, becoming Abbey National plc. As a Public Limited Company (PLC), the Abbey was the first Building Society to change its status to that of a bank. Santander acquired the company in November 2004 and was rebranded in 2009/10 to become recognisably part of the Santander Group. Head offices: Abbey National House, 219-229 Baker Street (1944-2002); 2 Triton Square, Regent's Place (2002-); with offices in Milton Keynes and elsewhere and branches throughout the United Kingdom.
National Building Society:
The Society was founded in 1849 by a trio of Liberal MPs. The Society was officially registered as the National Permanent Mutual Benefit Building Society and commonly known under the authorised name, The National Freehold Land Society (rather than The Metropolitan Freehold Land Society which was the name which was first proposed). In 1894 the commonly known title changed to The National Freehold Land and Building Society, and again in 1930 to The National Building Society. In 1856 the Society formed a subsidiary, The British Land Company, which parted from the National in 1878, marking the National's transition from land society to a building society. Head offices: 11 Poultry (1849); 2 Moorgate Street (1850; 14 (afterwards 25) Moorgate (1852-circa 1914); 39 Moorgate; Coleman Street; National House, 12-18 Moorgate (1930-1943), all City of London; an emergency wartime office was opened at Pewley Fort, Pewley Hill, Guildford, Surrey.
Abbey Road Building Society:
Founded in 1874 as the Abbey Road and St. John's Wood Permanent Benefit Building Society, based in a Baptist church on Abbey Road, Kilburn. Incorporated 1878. President was Reverend William Stott (from before 1886-1920). Later became Abbey Road Permanent Benefit Building Society, then renamed Abbey Road Building Society. Head offices: Abbey Road (1874-); 45 Fordwych Road, West Hampstead (1886-1890); 16 Finchley Road (before 1894-1927); Abbey House, 219-229 Baker Street (from 1927, with later extension and re-opening in 1932); Limpley Stoke, Wiltshire during Second World War. Gilbert Lane, Secretary (-1921); Harold Bellman, Secretary (1921-1926) General Manager (1927-1929) and Managing Director (from 1929).
Saint Mary Graces was a small Cistercian Abbey founded in 1349 by Edward III near East Smithfield, a liberty next to the Tower of London. It was also known as East Minster and New Abbey.
Born 1906; educated Nottingham High School and Jesus College, Cambridge University; Curate, St John's Church, Smith Square, Westminster, 1930-1932; Chaplain, King's College London, 1932-1936; Chaplain to Lincoln's Inn, London, 1935-1936; Warden of the Scholae Cancellarii, Lincoln (Lincoln Theological College), 1936-1945; Canon and Reverend Prebendary of Lincoln Cathedral, 1940-1960; Dean of King's College London, 1945-1955; Head of Department and Faculty of Theology, King's College London, 1945-1955; Warden of a hostel for King's College theological students, Vincent Square, London, 1945-1955; founded a postgraduate college at Warminster, Wiltshire, for the immediate pre-ordination spiritual and pastoral training of King's ordinands; Warden of Keble College, Oxford University, 1956-1960; Chaplain to King George VI, 1948-1952, and to Queen Elizabeth II, 1952-1959; Dean of Westminster, 1959-1974; KCVO, 1966; Extra Chaplain to Queen Elizabeth II, 1974; Fellow of King's College London, 1946; Chaplain and Sub-Prelate, Order of St John of Jerusalem, 1969; Freeman, City of Westminster, 1973; Honorary Fellow of Keble College, 1960, and Jesus College, 1966; retired, 1974; died 1983.
Publications: Education in the spiritual life (Doncaster, 1961); Catholicity: a study in the conflict of Christian traditions in the West (Dacre Press, Westminster, 1947); Escape or freedom? (Heffer and Sons, Cambridge, 1939); Foothold of faith (Dacre Press, Westminster, 1943); The compassion of God and the Passion of Christ (Geoffrey Bles, London, 1963).
Abdullah Abdurahman was born December 18, 1872? in Cape Town, South Africa. He married Helen Potter James and they had two children, of whom the younger, Zainunnissa Abdurahman, like her father, was a prominent figure in Cape Town municipal affairs. After the dissolution of his first marriage, Dr. Abdurahman in 1925 married Margaret May Stansfield. They had a son and two daughters. Dr. Abdurahman was educated at Marist Brothers School and the South African College School. In 1888 he went to Glasgow University, where he obtained the M.B., Ch.M. medical degree in 1893.
In 1895 he returned to South Africa and acquired an extensive practice in Cape Town, among both Coloured and White people. In 1904 he was elected to the Cape Town City Council, and was the first Coloured person to become a Councillor. Except for two years (1913-1915) he remained a member up to the time of his death. Dr. Abdurahman was also a member of the Cape Provincial Council from 1914 until his death, and was largely responsible in establishing a system of school medical instruction for the Cape Province. In 1905 Dr. Abdurahman founded and was president of the South African Native and Coloured People's Organization, later known as the African People's Organization.
In 1909 he was a member of a delegation led by W. P. Schreiner to London. He was also a member of the Indian National Congress and in 1925 went to India to discuss the Indian's position in South Africa with the National Congress and Viceroy.
In 1934 he was appointed a member of the coloured People's Fact-finding Commission and served on the Cape Coloured Commission of 1937. He died in Cape Town in 1940
Abdy began his career by serving in the East India Company's ships TRUE BRITON, 1750 to 1752, on a voyage to China and Stafford, 1753, to India. He then entered the Navy and was commissioned as lieutenant in 1758. He was promoted to commander in 1761 and served in the BEAVER, 1761 to 1766, in home waters and then in the West Indies. In 1766 he was promoted to Captain of the ACTEON in the West Indies, but he returned home before the end of the year and did not serve again because of ill-health.
Abdy began his career by serving in the East India Company's ships TRUE BRITON, 1750 to 1752, on a voyage to China and Stafford,1753, to India. He then entered the Navy and was commissioned as lieutenant in 1758. He was promoted to commander in 1761 and served in the BEAVER, 1761 to 1766, in home waters and then in the West Indies. In 1766 he was promoted to Captain of the ACTAEON in the West Indies, but he returned home before the end of the year and did not serve again because of ill-health.
Henry Caldwell, grandson of Sir Benjamin Caldwell (q.v.), entered the Navy in 1828 as a volunteer on board the DARTMOUTH and became a midshipman in the PRINCE REGENT in 1830. He served for the next five years on the coast of South America in the CLIO, SPARTIATE and HORNET and then in the PEMBROKE and VANGUARD on the Mediterranean Station. After this he spent three years in the brigs PANTALOON and RAPID, tenders to the Royal George yacht. Caldwell was promoted to lieutenant in 1841 and for two years attended courses in the EXCELLENT on gunnery and at the Royal Naval College on steam. He then served in the INCONSTANT on the Mediterranean Station from 1843 until 1846, when he joined the EXCELLENT and PRINCE REGENT, home waters. From the latter ship he was promoted to commander in 1847. In 1848 he joined the POWERFUL on the Mediterranean Station and returned to the PRINCE REGENT in 1851. He was promoted to captain in 1853 and after studying steam at Woolwich dockyard, became Flag Captain to Rear-Admiral Hon. R.S. Dundas (1802-1861), Commander-in-Chief Baltic, in the DUKE OF WELLINGTON, and remained in her until 1857. Caldwell joined the MERSEY in 1859 for three years, serving in the Channel and on the North American and West Indies Station. After a short period in the ROYAL ADELAIDE at Devonport, he joined, in 1864, the ASIA, guardship of the steam reserve at Portsmouth. Finally Caldwell was aide-de-camp to Queen Victoria from 1866 until his death.
Sir Benjamin Caldwell entered the Navy in 1754 and was made a lieutenant in 1760. After service in the Channel during the Seven Years War, he became a commander in 1762 and a post captain in 1765. He then commanded the ROSE in North America, 1768 to 1771, and the EMERALD, 1775 to 1779, on that station and on convoy duties. He was appointed in 1780 to the HANNIBAL and convoyed the East India Company ships home. In April 1781 he was transferred to the AGAMEMNON in the Channel; she then sailed with Admiral Rodney (1719-1792) to the West Indies and was present at the battle of the Saints, 1782. The Agamemnon remained on the West Indies and North American Stations until 1783. Caldwell commanded the ALCIDE in 1787 and the BERWICK during the mobilization of 1790. In 1793 he was promoted to rear-admiral and served in the CUMBERLAND under Admiral Howe (q.v.). He transferred his flag in 1794 to the IMPREGNABLE and took part in the battle of First of June. In July of the same year he became a vice-admiral and was sent to the Leeward Islands in the Majestic under Admiral Jervis (q.v.); shortly after this Jervis returned home and Caldwell acted as Commander-in-Chief. His active career ended in 1795 and he was promoted to admiral in 1799.
Henry Osborn served in the Mediterranean before becoming a lieutenant in 1717. In 1718 He took part in the action off Cape Passaro in the Mediterranean and the following year served in a squadron on the north coast of Africa. His first command was the Squirrel in 1728. In 1734 he commanded the Portland in the Channel and in 1738 the Salisbury in the Mediterranean. He was appointed to the Prince of Orange in 1740, returning to England in the Chichester in 1741, when he moved to the Princess Caroline, Channel, until 1743. Osborn was promoted to rear-admiral in 1747 and in 1748 was appointed Commander-in-Chief, Leeward Islands; in the same year he became a vice-admiral. He was promoted admiral and appointed Commander-in-Chief, Mediterranean, in 1757 but after blockading the French fleet in 1758, he suffered a stroke and saw no more active service. Osborn was Member of Parliament for Bedfordshire, 1758 to 1761.
Sir Frederick Augustus Abel (1827-1902) was an English chemist and became the 15th President of the Chemical Society (1875-1877) and the 2nd President of the Royal Institute of Chemistry (1880-1883). His area of expertise was in explosives and in 1889 invented Cordite with Sir James Dewar.
Niels Henrik Abel was born in Norway in 1802. His father was Soren Georg Abel, a political activist for Norwegian independence. In 1815 Niels Abel was sent to the Cathedral School at Christiania, where he studied mathematics under Bernt Holmboe, who encouraged him to go to Christiania University. He graduated in 1822, having undertaken work on the solution of quintic equations by radicals. In 1823 he published papers on functional equations and integrals, and a work proving the impossibility of solving the general equation of the fifth degree in radicals. For the next four years Abel travelled in Europe, visiting France, Italy and Germany to meet other mathematicians. He returned to Norway in 1827, where he earned a living through teaching until his death in May 1829. In 1830 he was awarded the Grand Prix of the Paris Academy.
A large number of Grahams companies, registered in Glasgow, were trading individually in Glasgow and elsewhere, including Portugal and India, as early as the late 18th century. Grahams Trading Company Limited, however, was incorporated on 29 July 1924, as general merchants and manufacturers all over the world, with a registered office at 7 St Helen's Place, EC3. It was an amalgamation of several of the older Grahams companies and the newly acquired "Portuguese companies". The latter, Abelheira Paper Mills Limited, Boa Vista Spinning and Weaving Company Limited and Braco de Prata Printing Company Limited, had all begun in the late 19th century and were registered in Glasgow but traded in Portugal through William Graham and Company, William and John Graham and Company, and William Graham Junior and Company, who acted as their agents and held title to the real estate in Portugal.
The Portuguese business of Grahams Trading Company Limited was held through West European Industries Limited. In 1947, the "Portuguese companies" went into voluntary liquidation, and the various mills and factories were gradually closed down and sold off in the 1950s. Grahams Trading Company Limited was taken over by Camp Bird Limited in 1957 and went into voluntary liquidation in 1960.