Mostrando 15888 resultados

Registro de autoridad

Born Aston, Birmingham, 1876; educated at Smethwick Central School, 1888-1891, Birmingham Technical School (now Aston University), 1894-1895; Royal College of Science (Imperial College), scholarship, 1897-1900; Assistant Demonstrator, 1900-1901; moved to the National Physical Laboratory, Teddington, 1901-1920, involved with naval research, [1914-1918]; Superintendent of the Electricity Department, 1917; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1918; first Director of Scientific Research, at the Admiralty, 1920; awarded Hughes Medal, 1925; Physical Secretary of the Royal Society, 1929-1938; knighted (GCB), 1931; Secretary, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, 1929-1939; Director, Instrument Production, Ministry of Supply, 1939-1942; Director of Telecommunications, Ministry of Aircraft Production, 1940-1942; Chairman, Technical Defence Committee; MI5, 1940-1946; Chairman, Scientific Advisory Council, 1941-1947; Chairman of the Road Research Board, 1946-1954; adviser on research and development with the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (later British Petroleum), 1939-1955; adviser, Birmingham Small Arms Company (BSA), 1944-1957; died, 1969.
Publications: Reports of the Committee on Electrical Standards ... A record of the history of "Absolute Units" and of Lord Kelvin's work in connexion with These Editor (Cambridge, 1913); Physics in Navigation (1927); Chemistry and the Community (London, 1932); Industrial Research and the Nation's Balance Sheet (London, [1932]); Measurement of the Effectiveness of the Productive Unit with Richard, Baron Beeching (British Institute of Management: London, [1949]); The Critical Importance of Higher Technological Education in relation to Productivity (British Association for the Advancement of Science, London, [1951]).

Sutton , John , 1919-1992 , geologist

Born Bedford Park, West London, 1919; educated at King's School, Worcester; read geology at Imperial College, 1937-1941; Second World War service included a posting to the Orkneys working on radar; returned to Imperial College for his PhD; worked with Janet Vida Watson (they married in 1949), on the Lewisian Gneiss and other geological problems, co-authoring a number of important papers; Lecturer, 1948; Reader, 1956; Professor of Geology, 1958; Head of Department, 1964-1974, whilst it became one of the largest in Europe, largely responsible for the establishment of the Centre for Environmental Technology (first Chairman and a Senior Research Fellow), and the Centre for Remote Sensing; Dean of the Royal School of Mines (part of Imperial College), 1965-1968, 1974-1977; elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 1966; President of the Geologists' Association 1966-1968; Vice-President of the Royal Society, 1975-1977; Trustee of the British Museum (Natural History), 1976-1981; member of the Natural Environment Research Council 1977-1979; Pro-Rector of Imperial College, 1979-1983; died, 1992.
Publications: The Geologist's Approach to Mountain Building London, 1959); Further Observations on the Margin of the Laxfordian Complex of the Lewisian near Loch Laxford, Sutherland, etc with Janet Watson (Edinburgh, 1962)

Born, 1885; educated at Westminster School; Magdalen College Oxford; Lecturer in Natural Science, Oriel College Oxford, 1911-1921; joined Royal Garrison Artillery, 1914, Royal Field Artillery, 1915; Lieutenant-Colonel and Assistant Controller, Experiments and Research, Royal Air Force, 1918-1919; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1926; Permanent Secretary, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, 1927-1929; Rector, Imperial College, 1929-1942; Chairman, Aeronautical Research Committee, 1933-1943; Development Commissioner, 1934-1945; Trustee, British Museum, 1937-1959; Knighted, 1937; Member, Council of Minister of Aircraft Production; Member, Air Council, 1941-1943; President of Magdalen College, Oxford, 1942-1946; Royal Society of Arts Albert Gold medal, 1944; Chairman, Advisory Council on Scientific Policy and Defence Research Policy Committee, 1946-1952; President, British Association, 1948; died, 1959.

Publications: include: Theoretical Chemistry from the standpoint of Avogadro's rule & Thermodynamics Walther Nernst, revised in accordance with the sixth German edition by H T Tizard (Macmillan & Co, London, 1911); The Passing World. Science and social progress (Bureau of Current Affairs, London, 1948); A Scientist in and out of the Civil Service (Birkbeck College, London, [1955]).

Born, Devonport, 1845; educated at the Royal School of Naval Architecture and Royal Naval College, 1870-1881; directed war-ship building of Armstrong & Co, Newcastle, 1883-1885; Director, Naval Construction and Assistant Controller, Royal Navy, 1885-1902; Consulting Naval Architect, Cunard SS Mauretania, 1904-1907; President, Institution of Civil Engineers, Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Institution of Marine Engineers; Chairman of the Council, Royal Society of Arts, 1909-1910; Master, Shipwrights Company of London; Governor, Imperial College, 1907-1913; died, 1913.

Publications: include: A Manual of Naval Architecture. For the use of Officers of the Royal Navy, Ship-builders (J Murray, London, 1877); Lecture on the turning powers of ships from the Journal of the Royal United Service Institution (1882); Modern War-ships.

Royal College of Chemistry

The Royal College of Chemistry was established in 1845 in Hanover Square, London, with the first Professor August von Hofmann, and 26 students, the result of a private enterprise to found a college to aid industry. The College transferred to Oxford Street in 1848. In 1853 the College was incorporated with the Government School of Mines and of Science Applied to the Arts, effectively becoming its department of chemistry. Chemistry was one of the departments to be transferred to South Kensington in 1872.

The Royal College of Science was formed in 1881 by merging some courses of the Royal School of Mines with the teaching of other science subjects at South Kensington. In 1907 the Royal School of Mines and the Royal College of Science were incorporated in the Royal Charter of Imperial College of Science and Technology.

The Imperial College of Science and Technology was established in 1907 by Royal Charter. The College was created from the incorporation of the Royal College of Science and the Royal School of Mines in 1907, and the City and Guilds College in 1910. St Mary's Hospital Medical School united with Imperial College in 1988, and was renamed Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine. The College received a new Charter in 1997 on the establishment of Imperial College School of Medicine. On 1 August 2000 Wye College merged with Imperial College. A new charter was created, incorporating the renamed Imperial College at Wye.

The Governing Body was established on the creation of the Imperial College in 1907 by the incorporation of the Royal College of Science and the Royal School of Mines in 1907, and the City and Guilds College in 1910. The Governing Body of 40 members, excluding the Rector, was to exercise the powers of the College as provided in the Charter and later Statutes. After the College received its new Charter in 1998, the Governing Body was replaced by a Court and Council, with the latter becoming the governing and executive body of the College.

After Imperial College received its new charter in 1998, the Governing Body was replaced by a Court and Council. Committees of the Governing Body and Board of Studies became Committees of the Council and of the Senate respectively.The Rector's Committees continue to act in an advisory capacity to the Rector in certain non-academic fields, with several having joint staff-student membership.

The College Centenary celebrations of 1945 commemorated the founding of the Royal College of Chemistry in 1845, which was incorporated with the Royal School of Mines in 1853 and thus subsequently became part of Imperial College. An Appeal fund was launched with the celebrations to increase funding for planned College expansion. Charter Day celebrations mark the establishment of Imperial College in 1907 by Royal Charter.

Associated Studies were introduced to teach non-scientific studies in the arts and humanities in first degree courses, and offer classes and lectures to college members. 'Touchstone' was a project to develop and encourage wider interests and activities within College life, such as weekend discussion parties.

The Registry is primarily concerned with the administration of academic matters, principally the supervision of student admissions, scholarships, regulations, registrations, tuition fees, the approval of courses and syllabuses, examinations, prizes, student records and statistics, the organisation of special lectures and academic ceremonies and the setting of term dates.

One of the main functions of the Personnel Division is to support Departments in all aspects of their staff management function including recruitment and retention, performance and health and safety. Some central processing services such as pensions, staff appraisal, and administration are carried out by the division.
The Holland Club opened in 1949 as a social club for non-teaching staff, named after Sir Thomas Holland, Rector of the College from 1922-1929. A dining club had been established in 1947, and the two clubs merged in 1962. The Consort Club was established as a joint Imperial College and Royal College of Art dining club.

Schemes for the development of the College have led to the rebuilding of the South Kensington site, and acquisition of a number of buildings in the area, particularly from the 1950s to mid 1970s. Number 170 Queen's Gate, designed by Norman Shaw (1831-1912), was purchased by Imperial College in 1947. The house was adapted for use by the Governing Body and as the Rector's lodgings, and was scheduled as a building of special architectural or historic interest in 1958.The Goldsmiths extension was the new City and Guilds (Engineering) College building, opened in 1926.

The Department of Biology had its origins in the teaching and research of biology in the Government School of Mines and Science as Applied to the Arts (later the Royal School of Mines) in 1851. The department moved to South Kensington in 1872, where T H Huxley was prominent in establishing modern teaching methods of the discipline. In 1881 the Royal College of Science was founded and took over the teaching of biology in two separate departments, Botany and Zoology. The Departments were united into a single Department of Biology in 1913 as part of Imperial College, with professors of Zoology, Plant Physiology, Woods and Fibres and Entomology.
The Department of Biochemistry opened in 1965. Before this, biochemical research and teaching at Imperial College operated within the Department of Botany.
The Division of Life Sciences was formed from the Departments of Botany, Zoology and Biochemistry in 1974. The Life Sciences Committee was established as a committee of the Board of Studies to consider all academic developments within the field and report to the Board as appropriate.
In 1981 the Department of Botany and Plant Technology was merged with the Department of Zoology and Applied Entomology to form the Department of Pure and Applied Biology, with the transfer of Microbiology from the Department of Biochemistry.

The Computer Unit (later Computer Centre) was established in 1964, and became part of the Department of Computing and Control. In 1974 the Centre separated from the Department, and later became known as the Centre for Computing Services.
The Centre for Computing and Automation was formed in 1966, based on research undertaken in the Department of Mathematics. In 1970 the centre became the Department of Computing and Control, and then the Department of Computing in 1979, when the Control Group rejoined the Department of Electrical Engineering.
The Kobler Unit for the Management of Information Technology and a new chair to head it was established in 1984 by a trust set up by Fred Kobler.

The Department of Geology has its origins in the Museum of Economic Geology, a collection of minerals, maps and mining equipment made by Sir Henry De la Beche, and opened in 1841. The Museum also provided some student places for the study of mineralogy and metallurgy. Sir Henry was the director of the Geological Survey of Great Britain, and when the collections outgrew the premises the Museum and the Survey were placed on an official footing, with Government assistance. The Museum of Practical Geology and the Government School of Mines Applied to the Arts, with its Geology Department, opened in a purpose designed building in Jermyn Street in 1851. The officers of the Geological Survey became the lecturers and professors of the School of Mines (renamed the Royal School of Mines in 1863). Sir Andrew Ramsay was appointed to the first Chair of Geology in 1851 and retired in 1876. The department moved to South Kensington in 1877, and was transferred from the Royal College of Science to the Royal School of Mines in 1966.
The Technology of Oil (later Oil Technology) programme was established in 1913, with Applied Geophysics being introduced in the 1930s. Previously, the Departments of Physics, Mathematics, Meteorology and Chemistry had contributed towards research in Geophysics. Geochemistry studies were first undertaken in the Department in 1948, leading to the establishment of the Geochemical Prospecting Research Centre in 1954 (by 1965 the Applied Geochemistry Research Group). In the early 1970s Oil Technology was divided into Petroleum Geology and Petroleum Engineering, with the latter being incorporated into the Mineral Resources Engineering Department of the Royal School of Mines.
In 1998 the T H Huxley School of Environment, Earth Sciences and Engineering was formed from the Department of Geology, Earth Resources Engineering, the Centre for Environmental Technology and the Environment Office.

The Murchison Museum was disbanded in 1990.

Born Glasgow, 1814, son of William Ramsay, a manufacturing chemist; clerk in a cotton-grower's office, 1827; published book on the Isle of Arran, 1841; appointed Assistant Geologist on the Geological Survey, 1841; appointed Local Director, 1845; Professor of Geology, University College London, 1848-1851; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1849; Professor of Geology, Royal School of Mines, 1851-1876; President of the Geological Society, 1867-1864; Director for England and Wales, Geological Survey; Wollaston medal of the Geological Survey, 1871; Royal medal of the Royal Society, 1871; knighted, 1881; died, 1891.

Publications: include: The Geology of the Island of Arran, from original survey. Illustrated by engravings (Glasgow, 1841); Passages in the history of Geology: an inaugural lecture at University College, London (London, 1848); A descriptive catalogue of the Rock Specimens in the Museum of Practical Geology with Henry W Bristow, Archibald Geikie and Hilary Bauerman (London, 1858); The geological structure of Merionethshire and Caernarvonshire reprinted, with additions, from "The Geologist" (London, 1858); The Geology of North Wales ... With map and sections (1866).

Slater , George , 1874-1956 , geologist

Born Sharow, Yorkshire, 1874; educated at St John's College, York and Royal College of Science (later Imperial College); teacher ( Assistant Master), Haltwhistle, Northumberland, 1895-1897; Ipswich, 1897-1918; Demonstrator and Assistant Lecturer in Geology, Imperial College, 1918-1939; Glaciologist to the Oxford University expedition to Spitsbergen, Norway, 1921; awarded the Murcheson Fund by the Geological Society, 1928; Foulerton Award of the Geologists' Association, 1950; died, 1956.
Publications: include: Studies in Glacial Tectonics edited by A K Wells (Edward Stanford, London, 1927).

The Department of Materials has its origins in the Royal School of Mines, which opened in 1851. By 1854, the Mining and Metallurgical Division was established as one of four sections of the School, and was moved from Jermyn Street to South Kensington in 1879 as the Department of Metallurgy. In 1970, the Department became the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Science, and the Department of Materials from 1986, as part of the Royal School of Mines.
The London Centre for Marine Technology was established in the 1980s as a joint venture between Imperial College and University College London.

Postgraduate courses in Nuclear Power and Nuclear Technology were first offered by Imperial College in 1958. The Nuclear Technology course was part of the Department of Chemical Engineering, with the Nuclear Technology Group being established in 1962. The Nuclear Power course was part of the Department of Mechanical Engineering. The University of London Reactor Centre is located at Silwood Park, Berkshire, and is now operated within the T H Huxley School for the Environment, Earth Sciences and Engineering.

The first Field Station established by the College was at Hurworth, near Slough in the late 1920s. It was taken over by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research during World War Two, and consequently the college relocated their field station to Silwood Park, Berkshire. The house and land was purchased in 1947, and in 1953 Silwood Park Farm and land was purchased by Imperial College. Some further land along Cheapside Road was purchased in 1961. The Overseas Spraying Machinery Centre, Silwood Park was established in 1955.
Sunninghill manor, part of Silwood Park estate, first appears as a separate manor in a conveyance of 1362, although technically it is a parcel of the royal manor of Cookham. The first court of which there is a record was held in 1616 by Mathew Day, Lord of the manor and five times mayor of Windsor. Courts were held irregularly during the period 1616-1790, and dealt exclusively with the transfer of land and admission of tenants. After several changes of owner, the manor was sold to James Sibbald in 1788, who built a new house, the first Silwood.
The Ashurst Lodge Estate house and grounds was purchased by Imperial College in 1948, and sold in 1987.

St Mary's Hospital Medical School

St Mary's Hospital Medical School was managed by the Medical School Committee, one of the standing Committees of the Hospital. The Commitee was ultimately responsible to the Board of Governors or Board of Management of the Hospital, although the Medical School was always allowed a great degree of autonomy. In 1948, the Medical School became independent of St Mary's Hospital, gaining its own Council. It also gained responsibility for the Wright-Fleming Institute, although this remained autonomous with its own Council and administration until 1967, when it became part of the Medical School. In 1988, St Mary's Hospital Medical School became the fourth constituent college of Imperial College, which was renamed Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine. The School was managed by a Delegacy responsible to the Governing Body of Imperial College. In 1997 the Imperial College School of Medicine was formed from the existing institutions on the St Mary's and Royal Brompton campuses, Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School and the Royal Postgraduate Medical School.

St Mary's Hospital Medical School

Student records were created and maintained by the Medical School Secretary, then later the Registry of St Mary's Hospital Medical School.

St Mary's Hospital Medical School

The Medical School employed an accountant from the early 1900s, and the post developed into the Finance Department.

National Heart and Lung Institute

The National Heart and the Institute can trace its history back to the emergence of three major London hospitals; the Royal Brompton (1841), The London Chest (1848) and the National Heart (1857). The research arms which developed from these hospitals formally merged in 1973 and became the National Heart and Lung Institute in 1988.

The Brompton Hospital was established as the Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Chest in 1841 by Philip Rose, a London Solicitor, and emphasized training and research in the field. From 1843 students visited the wards, and by 1851 lectures were held by the first visiting physician, Theophilus Thompson. In the 1870s regular teaching was undertaken through lectures and demonstrations. This was expanded in 1894, and the hospital recognised by the Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons.
The Brompton Hospital Medical School was founded in 1843, and became known as the Institute for Diseases of the Chest in 1947. In 1972 the Institute for the Diseases of the Chest and the Institute of Cardiology merged to form the Cardiothoracic Institute, and became known as the National Heart and Lung Institute (NHLI) in 1988. Situated next to the Royal Brompton Hospital, the Institute became part of Imperial College in 1995, and part of Imperial College School of Medicine in 1997. The main objective of the Institute is to carry out research, development and education in heart and lung medicine.
The Brompton Hospital Sanatorium was established in 1904 at Frimley in Surrey to treat tuberculosis patients. Dr Marcus Sinclair Paterson (1870-1932) was its first medical superintendant, developing a system of treatment called 'graduated labour', which involved the patients in various levels of physical activity. The treatment caused much interest at the time, and Paterson was contacted by many doctors and health authorities. The sanatorium closed in 1985.
James Edward Pollock (1819-1910) was physician to the Brompton Hospital, 1861-1882, and consulting physician, 1882-1910.
Frederick Rufenacht Walters (1857-1946) was a specialist in tuberculosis, and opened a sanatorium near Farnham in Surrey.

Phoenix is the annual Students' Union arts magazine of Imperial College. It started life as the Science Schools Journal in 1887, founded by H G Wells as a literary magazine, although it also contained details of college activities until Felix was established. It was renamed the Royal College of Science Magazine in 1891 and Phoenix in 1904. The City and Guilds Union joined with the Unions of the Royal College of Science and Royal School of Mines in support of Phoenix from 1915, when it became the 'Magazine of the Imperial College of Science and Technology'. Felix is Imperial College's student newspaper, which started in 1949.Weekly newssheets detailing events have also been published by the College and known successively as Coming Events, (1966-1969), IC News, (1969-1974), IC Diary (1974-1982) and IC Gazette (from 1982). IC Gazette was established to publish information previously covered by both IC Diary and Topic magazine, a twice monthly College newsletter established in 1974.
ICON, the Imperial College Review magazine was published between 1973 and 1982, and CRITICON, a continuation of the reviews section of ICON, between 1982-1987. Network, a monthly newspaper, was published between 1987 and 1994. IC Reporter, the College staff newpaper published twice monthly was established in 1995.

The Royal British Nurses Association (RBNA)was founded (as the British Nurses' Association) in December 1887, by Dr Bedford Fenwick, and his wife, Ethel Gordon Fenwick, former Matron of St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, with HRH Princess Christian, daughter of Queen Victoria, as its first President. There was considerable opposition to the Association, particularly from Florence Nightingale, who felt that it would destroy the `vocational spirit' of nursing. The Association was renamed the RBNA in 1891 and received its Royal Charter in 1893. Dr and Mrs Fenwick took over the Nursing Record (started in 1888), in 1893 and renamed it the British Journal of Nursing in 1902. Mrs Fenwick and Isla Stewart (Matron of St Bartholomew's Hospital) founded the Matrons' Council of Great Britain and Ireland in 1894. The Society for the State Registration of Nurses was formed in 1902, with Ethel Fenwick as Secretary and Treasurer. The National Council of Trained Nurses of Great Britain and Ireland was established 1904, with Ethel Fenwick as President. Between 1906 and 1909 the RBNA drafted three Parliamentary bills on nurse registration. The Central Committee for the State Registration of Nurses was formed 1909 with Ethel Fenwick as joint honorary secretary. From 1910-1914 the Central Committee introduced annual Parliamentary bills on nurse registration. The College of Nursing (later Royal College of Nursing) was established 1916, and in 1917 there were inconclusive discussions on the possibility of a merger between the RBNA and the College. The Nurses' Registration Acts were passed in 1919. The General Nursing Council, chaired by Mrs Fenwick was established 1920. The British College of Nurses (BCN) was founded by Mrs Fenwick, 1926, with herself as President, and Dr Fenwick as Treasurer. In 1927 the College of Nursing applied for its Royal Charter, the application, opposed by the RBNA, was granted in 1928 and it was renamed the Royal College of Nursing in 1939. Bedford Fenwick died 1939 and Ethel Fenwick, 1947. The British College of Nurses closed in 1956.

The British Committee for the Restitution of the Parthenon (Elgin) Marbles, (BCRPM) was founded following the UNESCO International Conference of Ministers of Culture in Mexico, Aug 1982, when Melina Mercouri appealed for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Athens. The idea to set up a British Committee for the Restitution of the Parthenon Marbles came from architect James Cubitt. The Committee was set up in 1983 under the chairmanship of Robert Browning, Emeritus Professor of Greek at the University of London. Eleni Cubitt, film producer and wife of James Cubitt (who died shortly after the Committee was established) became, and continues to be, the Secretary. The aims of the Committee are as follows:

'To secure the restitution of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece in accordance with the resolution of the UNESCO Conference of Ministers of Culture held in Mexico on 4 August 1982. To this end - we intend to present the case as fully as possible to the British public and to bring the most effective pressure on the Trustees of the British Museum and the British Government.'

Theodore Dyke Acland was born on 14 November 1851, the son of Sir Henry Acland, 1st Bart. of Oxford. He was educated at Winchester; Christ Church, Oxford (MA, MD); Leipzig University; Berlin University and St Thomas's Hospital. In 1883, he was sent by Foreign Office to deal with a cholera outbreak in Egypt. He was then selected for service with the Egyptian Army, of which he became Principal Medical Officer, and was awarded the Order of the Medjidie for his services.
He was Consulting Physician and Governor of St Thomas's Hospital, and of Brompton Hospital for Diseases of Chest and to the Commercial Union Assurance Company, as well as numerous other boards, councils and advisory positions.
In 1888 he married Caroline Cameron (died 1929), daughter of Sir William W. Gull.
Publications Many contributions to the study of current medical questions and school hygiene, including tuberculosis, and the future of the tuberculous soldier. Publications Memoir on the Cholera at Oxford in the year 1854, with considerations suggested by the epidemic, John Churchill and J. H. & J. Parker: London, 1856.

Born, 1891; educated, Bonn, Marburg, Lille; trained at St Thomas's Hospital; University of London; BS 1917 (London); MD 1930; Director, London Hospital (Whitechapel) Clinic for Venereal Diseases, 1930-1936; Lecturer on Venereal Diseases to London Hospital Medical College; Consultant and Venereologist to London County Council, 1930-1936; Director and Physician in Charge of the Department of Venereal Diseases, St Thomas's Hospital, 1936-1956; Fellow, Royal College of Physicians, 1937; Fellow Royal Society of Medicine; London University Lecturer at St Thomas's Hospital Medical School; Honourable Secretary, Royal Medical Benevolent Fund, 1956-1970; Consulting Physician to St Thomas's Hospital; died, 1971.
Publications include: Primary Syphilis in the Female (Oxford University Press, London, 1931); The Treatment of Veneral Disease in General Practice (John Bale, Sons & Danielsson, London, 1935); books, papers and articles on research into therapeutic and administrative problems of venereology; yearly contributions to The Medical Annual, 1937-1959.

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. Government of the College was devolved to the so-called Governing Body, supplemented from its inception in 1961 by an Academic Board reflecting the interests of staff and students. These were renamed the Council and Senate when the College was granted its Royal Charter in 1971. Chelsea College merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985 whereupon the functions of the Council and Senate were transferred to the King's Council and Academic Board.

Guy's Hospital Medical School

The Gull Studentship in Pathology and allied subjects was established in 1891 by W Cameron Gull. The Studentship was awarded for three years to candidates who had studied at the Medical School of Guy's Hospital. The Gordon Lectureship in Pathology was established in 1901 by the endowment of Robert Gordon. The Beaney Scholarship in Materia Medica was established in 1893, by Dr Beaney of Melbourne. The Scholarship was awarded for three years, to candidates who had studied at Guy's Medical School. The Sir Alfred Fripp Memorial Fellowship in Child Psychology at Guy's Hospital, was established in 1932. The Fellowship was awarded to a medical graduate, usually with experience in Paediatrics as well as in Psychological Medicine, for two years.

Guy's Hospital College Catering Company Limited was incoporated in 1926 and provided meals to staff and students at Guy's Hospital College. The company was wound up in 1981.

Guy's Hospital Medical College

Guy's Hospital was founded in 1721 by Thomas Guy, a bookseller and publisher in London who made a large fortune from his business. As required by his will, an Act of Parliament was passed in 1725 establishing the Corporation of Governors for Guy's Hospital. The Governors administered the estates acquired by the hospital and managed the hospital through a committee (the Court of Committees) of twenty-one men named by Guy, including four doctors. Meetings of the General Court were short and occupied by formal business. The management of the two hospitals was at first closely associated, with Guy's seen as an annexe to Thomas's. All the arrangements and procedures at St Thomas's were adopted by Guy's, and there were some joint Governors and they had the same Treasurer until 1839.

Before 1925 there was no formal constitution in existence for the Medical School. The two principal committees of the Medical School were the School Meeting, which dealt with School policy, and the Staff Meeting, which recommended staff appointments to the General Court or the Court of Committee. Important matters of policy and finance and all recommendations for appointments to the visiting staff of the hospital were discussed at Staff Meetings, which were called as the need arose. Originally attended by clinical staff, all senior members of staff were later called to attend. The annual School Meeting, presided over by the Treasurer, was attended by all the teachers in the School. At these meetings the Treasurer made a brief statement of the financial position and announced the value of the 'share' for the preceding year. The 'share' was the method of renumeration of the clinical staff until 1925, when it was replaced by a nominal salary. The Dental Council dealt with student entry and the general business of the Dental School, and the Medical Council dealt with student entry relating to the Medical School. Financial matters were overseen and regulated by the Finance Committee. The Medical Examining Council was established in 1846 to select which students should become dressers, clinical clerks, assistants and resident obstetric clerks. It became known as the Medical Council from 1866.

Under a new Scheme of Management, which became operative in October 1925, the constitution of the Medical School was reorganised and placed on a formal footing. A Board of Governors was created and made responsible directly to the Court. A School Council was established (taking the responsibilities of the School Meeting) to take responsibility for the administration of the school and policy, including appointing officers and teachers, subject to the powers of the Governors. All university professors and readers, heads of non-clinical departments were members, and representatives of the Medical Committee were elected to the Council. The School Council later became known as the Academic Board. The School buildings continued to legally owned by the Hospital Governors

In 1941 the school set up a Post-war Planning Committee, which later amalgamated with a similar committee set up by the Governors of the Hospital. The School Governors became known as the Council of Governors from 1947, and on the foundation of the National Health Service in 1948 the Medical School became a separate legal entity from the Hospital.

The Medical Schools of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals reunited as the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals (UMDS) in 1982. The new institution was then enlarged by the amalgamation of the Royal Dental Hospital of London School of Dental Surgery with Guy's Dental School on 1 August 1983 and the addition on the Institute of Dermatology on 1 August 1985. In 1990 King's College London began discussions with the United Schools and, following formal agreement to merge in 1992 and the King's College London Act 1997, the formal merger with UMDS took place on 1 August 1998. The merger created three new schools: the Guy's, King's and St Thomas' Schools of Medicine, of Dentistry and of Biomedical Sciences, and reconfigured part of the former School of Life, Basic Medical & Health Sciences as the new School of Health & Life Sciences.

The Evelina Children's Hospital was founded by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild in 1869, in memory of his wife Evelina. The hospital became closely associated with Guy's Hospital, and was closed in 1975.

Educated at Selwyn College Cambridge and Guy's Hospital (entered 1891). Awarded MD Camb, MA MB BCh 1894, BA Natural Science Tripos 1890, MRCS, LRCP London 1894, DPH Durham 1900.

Educated at Rugby, and Exeter College Oxford, MA 1944. Head of Anthony Gibbs and Sons, London; Director of Bank of England 1853-1901; Governor 1875-1877; MP (Conservative) City of London, 1891-1892; trustee of National Portrait Gallery; Member of Council, Keble College Oxford.
Married Louisa Adams, 1845. Created 1st Baron Aldenham, 1896. Died in 1907.

Victoria Elizabeth Jones was born in 1837. She trained in nursing at Charing Cross Hospital and St John's House. In 1879, she was appointed Sister of Philip ward, Guy's Hospital. She was appointed Matron in 1882, resigning in 1893.

Born, Jamaica, 1809; pupil at Guy's Hospital, 1824; apprenticed to Richard Stocker, the Hospital's Apothecary; dresser to Bransby Cooper, Guy's Hospital; Ship's Surgeon to the HECTOR, 1831; returned to Jamaica, 1831; practiced medicine; Assistant Surgeon to the St Elizabeth Regiment of Foot, 1834; Health Officer for the Port of Black River, Cornwall County, 1841; elected Fellow, College of Physicians and Surgeons in Jamaica, 1842; died, 1856.

Born, 1822; medical student at Guy's Hospital; M R C S, 1845; M D, St Andrew's University, 1845; Assistant Surgeon, Bengal Medical Service, 1846; died, 1871.

Publications: Views of Nepal, 1851-1864. Henry Ambrose Oldfield, Margaret Alicia Oldfield. [edited by] Cecilia and Hallvard Kuløy (1975); Sketches from Nipal, historical and descriptive ... To which is added an essay on Nipalese Buddhism, and illustrations of religious monuments, architecture and scenery, etc [Edited by E O] 2 volumes (W H Allen & Co, London, 1880).

Bird , Golding , 1814-1854 , physician

Born, Downham, Norfolk, 1814; educated, private school; apprenticed to William Pretty, an apothecary, London, 1829-1833; student at Guy's Hospital, 1832, and assisted Sir Astley Cooper with his work on diseases of the breast; licensed to practise by Apothecaries' Hall, 1836; MD, St Andrews University, 1838, MA, 1840; lecturer on natural philosophy at Guy's Hospital, 1836-1853; lecturer on medical botany and on urinary pathology; physician to the Finsbury Dispensary, [1836]; licentiate of the College of Physicians of London, 1840; Fellow of the College of Physicians, 1845; assistant physician, Guy's Hospital, and joint lecturer on materia medica, Guy's Hospital Medical School, 1843-1853; lecturer on materia medica at the College of Physicians, 1847; member, Linnean and Geological Societies; Fellow of the Royal Society; became ill, 1851; retired to Tunbridge Wells, 1854; died, 1854.

Publications include: Elements of Natural Philosophy; being an experimental introduction to the study of the physical sciences (John Churchill, London, 1839); Lectures on Electricity and Galvanism, in their physiological and therapeutical relations, delivered at the Royal College of Physicians, in March, 1847 (Wilson & Ogilvy, London, 1847); Lectures on the Influence of Researches in Organic Chemistry on Therapeutics, especially in relation to the depuration of the blood, delivered at the Royal College of Physicians (Wilson & Ogilvy, London, 1848); Urinary Deposits, their diagnosis, pathology and therapeutical indications (John Churchill, London, 1844); Case of Internal Strangulation of Intestine relieved by operation (From Transactions of the Royal Medico-Chirurgical Society), with John Hilton (Richard Kinder, London, [1847]).

Edward Austin Penny was a student at Guy's Hospital Medical School. Awarded MRCS LRCP, London 1910, MB BS London 1911, DTM&H London, 1926, Lt-Col Indian Medical Service (retired).
Louis Albert (John) Dunn (1858-1918) was Surgeon, Guy's Hospital, 1894-1918; Consulting Surgeon to the East London Children's Hospital; Consulting Surgeon Children's Hospital Plaistow; Member of Court of Examiners, Royal College of Surgeons; Examiner in Surgery at Cambridge University

Born in London, 1903, the son of Herbert Brock, a master photographer, and his wife, Elvina (nee Carman); educated at Haselridge Road School, Clapham, Christ's Hospital, Horsham. Entered Guy's Hospital Medical School in 1921 with an arts scholarship. Qualified LRCP (Lond.) and MRCS (Eng.) 1926, and graduated MB, BS (Lond.) with honours and distinction in medicine, surgery, and anatomy in 1927. Appointed demonstrator in anatomy and in pathology at Guy's and passed the final FRCS (Eng.) in 1929.
Elected to a Rockefeller travelling fellowship and worked in the surgical department of Evarts Graham at St. Louis, Missouri, 1929-30. Returned to Guy's as surgical registrar and tutor in 1932 and was appointed research fellow of the Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland. He won the Jacksonian prize of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1935 and was elected a Hunterian professor in 1938. Appointments included consultant thoracic surgeon to the London County Council, 1935-46; surgeon to the Ministry of Pensions at Roehampton Hospital, 1936-45; surgeon to Guy's and the Brompton hospitals 1936-1968. During World War Two he was also thoracic surgeon and regional adviser in thoracic surgery to the Emergency Medical Service in the Guy's region.
At the time when cardiac surgery, and especially operations on the open heart, were developing apace, he played a major part in pioneering the surgical relief of mitral stenosis and of other valvular lesions of the heart. His introduction of the technique of direct correction of pulmonary artery stenosis was certainly inspired by exchange professorships between himself and Dr Alfred Blalock of Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore.
Served on the Council of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1949-1967, and as vice-president 1956-8 and president 1963-6, and director of department of surgical sciences established during his presidency. Delivered the Bradshaw lecture in 1957 and the Hunterian oration in 1961. Knighted, 1954 and elevated to a life peerage, 1965.
Awards and honours included President of the Thoracic Society of Great Britain and Ireland in 1952; the Society of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, and the Medical Society of London in 1958. Elected fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of London in 1965, and honorary fellow of the American College of Surgeons, 1949; the Brazilian College, 1952; the Australasian College, 1958; the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 1965; the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada; and the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 1966. Recipient of the international Gairdner award, 1960-1, and appointed Lister medallist and orator, 1967. Also received honorary degrees from the universities of Hamburg (1962), Leeds (1965), Cambridge (1968), Guelph and Munich (1972).
Assistant editor of the Guy's Hospital Reports and later editor 1939-1960. He also contributed important papers on cardiac and thoracic surgery to medical and surgical journals and textbooks.
Outside his professional work he had considerable knowledge of old furniture and prints, and of the history of London Bridge and its environs, and was an eager student of medical history. Less well known was his dedication to the complementary interests of private medicine and the NHS, for he served on the governing body of Private Patients Plan and was chairman (1967-77) before becoming its president. He was responsible for the discovery and restoration of an eighteenth-century operating theatre which was formerly in the old St. Thomas's Hospital.
In 1927 married Germaine Louise Ladavèze (died 1978), they had three daughters, In 1979, married Chrissie Palmer Jones. Brock died in Guy's Hospital 3 September 1980.
Publications: The Anatomy of the Bronchial Tree, with special reference to the surgery of lung abscess (Oxford University Press: London, 1946, Second edition 1954); The Life and Work of Astley Cooper (E. & S. Livingstone: Edinburgh & London, 1952); Lung Abscess (Blackwell Scientific Publications: Oxford, 1952); The Anatomy of Congenital Pulmonary Stenosis (Cassell & Co.: London, 1957); and John Keats and Joseph Severn. the tragedy of the last illness, 1973.

Carl Henry Randall was born on 4 Dec 1880. He studied at Guy's Hospital Medical School, qualifying in 1903. MC FRCS (Edin). Joined the Indian Medical Service, 1905, reaching the rank of Colonel in 1929.

Born 4 October 1922, educated at Boys' High School, Kimberley, South Africa; University of Capetown (BSc, MB, ChB, 1946); FRCS 1949; FACC 1973; FACS 1976.
Ross was appointed Senior Registrar in Thoracic Surgery, Bristol, 1952; Guy's Hospital: Resident Fellow, 1953; Senior Thoracic Registrar, 1954; Consultant Thoracic Surgeon, 1958; Consultant Surgeon, National Heart Hospital, 1963, Senior Surgeon, 1967; Director, Department of Surgery, Institute of Cardiology, 1970. Awarded Honorary FRCSI 1984; Honorary FRCS Thailand, 1987. Honorary DSc CNAA, 1982. Clement Price Thomas Award, Royal College of Surgeons, 1983. Order of Cedar of Lebanon, 1975; Order of Merit (1st class) (West Germany), 1981; Royal Order (Thailand), 1994.
Publications: A Surgeon's Guide to Cardiac Diagnosis, 1962; (jointly) Medical and Surgical Cardiology, 1968; (jointly) Biological Tissue in Heart Valve Replacement, 1972; contributed to the British Medical Journal, Lancet and other journals.

W A L Smith was born in London, son of William Otter Lauder Smith, of Wellclose, Barstaple. He was educated at Leys School, Cambridge, Trinity College Cambridge. Obtained BA, Cambridge, 1890, MA, 1894. Served as Resident Obstetrician at Guy's Hospital, London. Practiced at Wells, Somerset. Married Grace Parker. Died 1916.

Joseph Toulmin, born 8 January, 1772. He entered Guy's Hospital London as dresser under Mr Cline, May 1791, Married first Catherine Van Effen, in 1797. Catherine died 11 Mar 1803. Married secondly in 1804, Maria Sampson (1784-1853). Joseph practised surgery in Hackney. He died, 15 Nov 1847.
Frederick Justus Toulmin was the son of Joseph Toulmin and his first wife Catherin Van Effen, born 22 Dec 1798. Frederick was apprenticed to his father, and later educated at Guy's Hospital, London, obtaining MRCS 1825; LSA 1829; FRCS 1846. He practised at Upper Clapton and Thurloe Square. He married firstly Mary Anne Flower, 1827, who died in 1844. Married secondly Charlotte Elizabeth (Eliza) Lennox (1810-1869), in 1857. Frederick died on the 4 Feb 1883.
Francis Toulmin was born 14 Feb 1803, the son of Joseph Toulmin and his first wife Catherin Van Effen. He was also educated at Guy's Hospital London, obtaining MRCS 1827, FRCS 1847, LSA 1829. He practised in Hackney, and was surgeon to the Invalid Asylum, Stoke Newington. He married c 1834 Ann Elizabeth Stockdale (b 1807). Francis died 13 Mar 1884.