Showing 15888 results

Authority record

Muswell Hill Presbyterian Church, at the corner of Prince's Avenue and the Broadway, was registered in 1899 and completed in 1903. The church was built of flint and terracotta, to the designs of G. Baines, with late Gothic and art nouveau features, including a corner tower surmounted by a copper spirelet. Its materials and style later won widespread attention and led to a campaign for its preservation after the Presbyterians joined the Congregationalists in 1973. The building, seating around 600, was unused in 1976.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate (1980), pp. 183-189.

The Oxendon Presbyterian Church was founded in 1737 in Great Street. It moved to Oxendon Chapel, on Oxendon Street, Haymarket, in 1808. In 1878 it moved to Haverstock Hill, at the junction of Prince of Wales Road and Maitland Park, Belsize Park, taking the name Oxendon Presbyterian Church to commemorate its previous location. It was damaged during the Second World War and was not reopened until 1957.

Saint Peter's Presbyterian Church, Upper Tooting, was founded in 1685. In 1972 it joined the United Reformed Church. It is now closed.

Saint George's Presbyterian Church was built in 1888 in the Early English style, with seating for 550. It was constructed in Willesden Lane, Brondesbury. The church closed in 1973 and the congregation united with that of Saint Margaret's Presbyterian Church, which changed its name to Saint Margaret and Saint George United Reformed and Moravian Church. The church building is now used as a Hindu temple.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 242-246.

Presbyterians were established in Wembley in 1899 and a hall in Ealing Road was registered for worship in 1902. Saint Andrew's Church was built in 1904, to seat 450 people, and enlarged in 1907. The church has now closed and the congregation merged with that of Wembley Park United Reformed Church.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 261-264.

Camden Road Presbyterian Church was situated on Camden Park Road, off Camden Road, between Kentish Town and Caledonian Park. It was part of the London North District. In the 1880s it ran a Sunday School, Bible classes, Dorcas Society, Young Men's Association and ministry to the poor. It also participated in the London North District mission at Leighton Road. The church does not appear in the 1971 Official Handbook of the Presbyterian Church and it is possible that it closed or merged with another church before this date.

Presbyterian Housing was the first of the philanthropic societies to build in Poplar. When it was formed in 1925 there were several Presbyterian churches and a Presbyterian Women's Settlement in the Poplar area. At the instigation of Dr A. Herbert Gray of Crouch Hill, Miss H. B. Mackay, the Warden of the Settlement, addressed an informal meeting in Hampstead. Offers of help were immediately forthcoming and a committee was appointed to implement what was at first simply called the 'Presbyterian Housing Scheme'. Presbyterian Housing began its activities in Poplar in 1926 by converting properties in Poplar High Street into flats. It then moved on to build a new block of flats in Simpson's Road - Goodspeed House, opened in 1929. On 29 May 1929 the scheme became Presbyterian Housing Ltd, which was registered as a public utility society. A further block of flats was built in Simpson's Road (Goodwill House, opened in 1932) with the help of a supplemental contribution from the LCC.

From: 'Public Housing in Poplar: The Inter-war Years', Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44: Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs (1994), pp. 23-37.

Saint Stephen's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1896 by the Church of Scotland. It was transferred to the Presbyterian Church of England in 1921. It is possible that it merged with the local Congregational Church to form the Saint Thomas' United Reform Church, Watford.

Ipswich Presbyterian Church was founded in 1868. The church building on Barrack Corner was opened in 1870. It is now the Barrack Corner United Reformed Church.

Saint Columba's Presbyterian Church, Prospect Hill, Walthamstow, originated in 1898 when Presbyterians took over the former Wesleyan Methodist church there. A new church was built on the site in 1906. It was almost destroyed by bombing in 1941, but services continued in improvised premises until it was rebuilt in 1957. It was closed in 1968 and demolished by 1971.

From: 'Walthamstow: Roman Catholicism, Nonconformity and Judaism', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 294-304.

Swallow Street Meeting House was built by a congregation of French Protestants in 1692. By 1709 the membership had fallen and it was decided to offer the lease of the chapel to a Presbyterian congregation which had been meeting in rooms in Glass House Street, Piccadilly. They took over the building in 1710.

In 1843 some members of the Established Church of Scotland broke away to form the Free Church of Scotland. The Swallow Street congregation were divided over which church they should follow. It was decided to stay with the Established Church, however, two Elders and some congregation left the church to form a Free Church establishment. They began meeting at the Marylebone Literary and Scientific Institution on Edwards Street off Portman Square and applied to be recognised by the Presbyterian Church of England. The Church subsequently moved to Upper George Street, Bryanstone Square.

Highfields Presbyterian Church was founded by James Richard Haig of Highfields Park in memory of his wife Jane Haig. It was built in 1875 and served the villages of Blackham and Withyham, Sussex. The chapel joined the Presbytery of London South in 1895.

Christ Church Presbyterian Church, Dulwich is now part of the Christ Church United Reformed Church and Methodist Church, Barry Road, Dulwich.

Southwark had a long history as a centre for non-conformity. In 1672 five independent and Presbyterian chapels were located in Southwark, as well as Quaker and Anabaptist meeting-houses.

The Presbyterian chapel on Prospect Place appears to have closed or merged with another church. By 1893 there is no mention of the church in 'The Southwark Annual', which lists only two Presbyterian chapels in Southwark: that on Borough Road and Southwark Park Road, Bermondsey.

Trinity Presbyterian Church was founded in 1875. The church was built in 1877 situated on Pendennis Road, Streatham. In 1972, when the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged, it became the Trinity United Reformed Church.

Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was situated on Southwark Park Road, Bermondsey. It began in 1873 as a preaching station. A hall was built in 1888 and a church in 1900, but it was closed by 1971.

Saint Cuthbert's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1894. The church was built in 1901 in Thurlow Park Road, West Norwood. In 1972, on the merger of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, it became a United Reformed Church.

A Presbyterian congregation first existed in the Kingston and Surbiton area in 1662, however, membership declined. The congregation was revived in 1873 and a new church was built in 1884 in Grove Crescent, Kingston upon Thames. In 1972 the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged and the church became Kingston and Surbiton United Reformed Church. The church is now situated on Eden Street.

Saint Mary's Presbyterian Church, Woolston, Southampton, was founded in 1874. The church was built in 1876 on Portsmouth Road. It belonged to the Presbytery of the South Coast. In 1971 the church was sharing worship with the local Congregational church although it does not seem to have joined the United Reformed Church.

Holybourne Presbyterian Church was situated in the village of Holybourne, north east of the town of Alton in the county of Hampshire. It was founded by a Major Gibson as a mission chapel but by 1878 was being rented by the Presbyterian Church.

The Princes Street Presbyterian Chapel was founded when Thomas Cawton received a licence for Presbyterian meetings at his house in Saint Anne's Lane, Westminster, in 1672. A few months later he gained a licence for newly-built meeting-house in the nearby New Way, Westminster. Cawton was minister until 1677, succeeded by Vincent Alsop until 1703, and Doctor Edmund Calamy from 1703 to 1732. Alsop claimed he had been required to divide his congregation into two because of its size, administering communion to each group alternately. The congregation moved to a chapel in Princes Street, Westminster, in 1703, and to another in Princes Street in 1799. It closed 1818, and the congregation joined that of St Thomas's Street Chapel, in Southwark.

Source: Protestant Nonconformity: City of Westminster, A History of the County of Middlesex.

St Aidan's Presbyterian Church, Ealing, was built in 1922 to replace Elthorne Park Presbyterian Church, Hanwell, which had formed in 1906. The church was situated at the corner of Leybourne Avenue and St Aidan's Road and had 200 seats. Following the formation of the United Reformed Church in 1972 by the union of the Presbyterian Church of England and the Congregational Church of England and Wales, St Aidan's became part of the United Reformed Church. The church closed in about 1991.

In 1879, the Presbytery purchased and occupied church buildings (now called Saint Margaret) located in Putney Park Land, which had formed the private chapel of the Granard Estate. Putney United Reformed Church was therefore initially known as the Granard Presbyterian Church. This remained the place of worship until 1897 when the church moved to buildings on the corner of Briar Walk and Upper Richmond Road.

In 1941 a bomb destroyed all the halls and a third of the church. Rebuilding of the church and new halls was completed in 1957. In 1946 the church amalgamated with Wandsworth Presbyterian Church and became known as Putney and Wandsworth Presbyterian Church. In 1968 the spire was removed and the tower was capped off. At the same time, the manse which had stood next to the church was sold and replaced by a house in Fairdale Gardens.

In 1972 the church became known as Putney United Reformed Church following the union of the Congregational and Presbyterian denominations. The last service to be held took place in February 1996.

In 1879, the Presbytery purchased and occupied church buildings (now called Saint Margaret) located in Putney Park Land, which had formed the private chapel of the Granard Estate. The Church was therefore initially known as the Granard Presbyterian Church. This remained the place of worship until 1897 when the church moved to buildings on the corner of Briar Walk and Upper Richmond Road.

In 1941 a bomb destroyed all the halls and a third of the church. Rebuilding of the church and new halls was completed in 1957. In 1946 the church amalgamated with Wandsworth Presbyterian Church, Merton Road and became known as Putney and Wandsworth Presbyterian Church. In 1968 the spire was removed and the tower was capped off. At the same time, the manse which had stood next to the church was sold and replaced by a house in Fairdale Gardens.

In 1972 the church became known as Putney United Reformed Church following the union of the Congregational and Presbyterian denominations. The last service to be held took place in February 1996.

Saint James's Church, Wood Green, was formed in 1875, when the Presbyterian Church of England took over an iron chapel which had been used for four years by the Church of Scotland. There were about 100 members in 1877, when work started on a church in Green Lanes. The new building, of redbrick dressed with Bath stone, was noted for its grandeur. It seated 400 worshippers, apart from those in the galleries, but was soon extended to take 700; in 1902 it had the fourth largest congregation within the London Presbytery. In 1950 members united with Bowes Park Congregational church, whose premises they used as the United Church of Saint James-at-Bowes. The former Presbyterian church afterwards served as a warehouse and survived in 1974.

Bowes Park Congregational church began as a hall and schoolrooms, registered in 1902, at the corner of Arcadian Gardens and Wood Green High Road. A large red-brick church with stone dressings, adjoining the hall, was founded in 1909 and registered in 1912. After the congregation had united with that of Saint James's Presbyterian church in 1950, the premises became those of the United Church of Saint James-at-Bowes.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 356-364.

A lecture hall at the western end of Church Street, Enfield, was built in 1902 and used for Presbyterian services until 1907, when the church of Saint Paul was opened. The church, a ragstone building in the 13th-century Gothic style, was designed by William Wallace and was originally intended to have a spire. It could seat circa 500 in 1973. In 1972 it joined the United Reformed church on the merger of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 250-253.

Saint George's Presbyterian Church, Palmers Green, was constructed in Fox Lane in 1913, although the congregation had been meeting since 1909. In 1972 it amalgamated with the Congregational Church in Fox Lane to become the United Reformed Church. The building has now been replaced by a block of flats.

The Regent Square Presbyterian Church was originally established by a fund set up by the Highland Society of London in 1808 to provide for Gaelic-language worship in London. Its first premises were in what is now Hatton Yard in Hatton Garden and it moved to its current site at the corner of Regent Square and Tavistock Place in 1827. The Church was affiliated to the Church of Scotland and the Free Church of Scotland before joining the Presbyterian Church of England. The church was badly damaged by bombing in World War Two and was remodelled in 1965.

In 1972 when the Presbyterian and Congregationalist churches merged, the Regent Square Presbyterian Church became the Regent Square United Reformed Church. It has subsequently changed its name to the Lumen United Reformed Church. For more historical information see http://www.lumenurc.org.uk/Lumenhistory.htm (last accessed February 2009).

In 1891 the Presbyterian Church of England acquired land at the corner of Ballards Lane and Redbourne Avenue, where a hall was opened in 1893 and registered in 1894. The church was registered in 1895. Called Saint Margaret's from 1932, the church joined with Church End Congregational Church in 1969 to form Union Church, Finchley Central; after the formation of the United Reformed church in 1972, it was known as Saint Margaret's United Reformed Church. The old Presbyterian church hall was still used by the united congregation in 1976 but was demolished in 1977.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate (1980), pp. 87-91.

The Presbyterian Church of England formed a congregation at Golders Green, probably in 1910. Premises on the corner of Helenslea Avenue and Finchley Road were opened for worship in 1911 and, as Saint Ninian's church, registered for marriages in 1912. The church, a redbrick building in the Perpendicular style, was designed by T. Phillips Figgis. The foundation stone of a church hall, which replaced a wooden hut, was laid in 1925.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 39-43.

Saint Aidan's Presbyterian Church, West Ealing, replaced the Elthorne Park Presbyterian Church, Hanwell, in 1922. The building was at the corner of Leybourne Avenue and Saint Aidan's Road. From 1972 it was called Saint Aidan's United Reformed Church following the merger of the Presbyterian and Congregational churches.

East Ham Presbyterian Church, later Trinity Presbyterian Church, East Avenue, Manor Park, originated in the 1890s, when Alexander Thompson, a Scotsman who had previously worshipped at Plashet Park Congregational church, began to hold Presbyterian meetings at his house in Victoria Avenue. With help from the Presbytery of London North a site was bought in East Avenue, and in 1900 an iron church, given by Dr. J. A. Voelker, was erected there. There were early disagreements between the local congregation, which favoured a conventional organization, and the Presbytery, which advocated mission work of the 'central hall' type. These were settled by a compromise; in 1902 Thomas G. Murray became the first minister, in 1903 a permanent church was built, and in 1905 halls were added. By 1909 the membership was 424, and during the brilliant ministry of I. Gwessin Jenkins (1910-1928) it rose to 600. Under Jenkins's successor there was a sharp decline, but the church revived after the coming in 1935 of W. Harding Jones. In 1941 the church was joined by the congregation of Trinity Presbyterian church, Maryland Point (West Ham), from which it took over the name Trinity. From 1941 to 1945 it also accommodated the members of Wakefield Street Congregational church, whose own building had been bombed.

Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 31-38.

In 1891 the Presbyterian Church of England acquired land at the corner of Ballards Lane and Redbourne Avenue, where a hall was opened in 1893 and registered in 1894. The church was registered in 1895. Called Saint Margaret's from 1932, the church joined with Church End Congregational Church, Victoria Avenue, in 1969 to form Union Church, Finchley Central; after the formation of the United Reformed church in 1972, it was known as Saint Margaret's United Reformed Church. The old Presbyterian church hall was still used by the united congregation in 1976 but was demolished in 1977.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate (1980), pp. 87-91.

Trinity Presbyterian Church, Norwich, Norfolk, was founded in 1867. The church was first situated on Theatre Street, but was badly damaged during the Second World War. It was rebuilt in 1956 on Unthank Road. The church belonged to the Presbytery of London North. In 1972 the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged to form the United Reformed Church. Trinity United Reformed Church is still situated on Unthank Road.

Downs Park Road Church in Lower Clapton was registered by the Presbyterian Church of England in 1872. It was situated at the corner of Cricketfield Road. Attendance in 1886 was 111 in the morning and 60 in the evening. By 1903 attendance was 114 in the morning and 143 in the morning. The church was closed but reopened as Lower Clapton Congregational church in 1936, and was later used by the New Testament Church of God.

Dalston Presbyterian Church was built on Shrubland Road in 1858, and registered by the Presbyterian Church of England in 1863. The building was acquired by the Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1970.

Source: 'Hackney: Protestant Nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10: Hackney (1995), pp. 130-144.

Park Presbyterian Church, Grosvenor Road, Highbury, was built after the Scotch congregation at Myddelton Hall, Upper Street, increased. It was one of three United Presbyterian churches in London founded with the aid of John Henderson of Renfrewshire. Later the church was part of the Presbyterian Church of England which was formed in 1876. As the district had no poor, the church supported City missions in Hoxton. The church closed in around 1950.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.

Upper Street Presbyterian Church was situated at 107 Upper Street, Islington. It is possibly the same 'Scotch' congregation which worshipped at Myddelton Hall, Upper Street. Park Presbyterian Church, Grosvenor Road, Highbury was built after the Myddelton Hall congregation became too large. A note on the Upper Street Church registers states that the church moved to Dalston in 1853. It is possible this is the same Dalston Presbyterian Church which was built on Shrubland Road in 1858, and registered by the Presbyterian Church of England in 1863.

Presbyterian meetings first took place in Chatham in 1672. Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1854 on Star Hill. It moved to premises on New Road Avenue in 1862. In 1904 a new church was constructed. The church is now Saint Andrew's United Reformed Church, following the merger of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches in 1972.

Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1900. The church was built in 1902 on Shaw's Corner, Redhill. In 1972 when the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged Saint Paul's became a United Reformed Church.

Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1894. The church was built in 1896, situated on Battersea Rise, Clapham. In 1976 the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged and the church was renamed Saint Andrew's United Reformed Church.

Richmond Presbyterian Church was founded in 1876 as a preaching station. The church was built in 1885, situated on Little Green, Richmond. In 1972, when the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged, it became Richmond Green United Reformed Church, now situated on Quadrant Road.

Saint John's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1870. The church was built in 1884 on Devonshire Road, Forest Hill. It came under the Presbytery of London South. Following the merger of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches in 1972 it became Saint John's United Reformed Church and is still situated on Devonshire Road.

Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church, Croydon, was founded in 1900. The church hall was constructed in 1901 and the church building completed in 1905 on Croham Road, South Croydon. When the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged in 1972 the church became Saint Paul's United Reformed Church.

A Presbyterian Mission Church was established on Johnson Road, West Croydon, by Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church and Saint George's Presbyterian Church. It was formally recognised as a mission by the Presbytery of London South in March 1912 and was placed under the oversight of Saint Paul's. The Mission was initally known as the "Presbyterian Church of England Johnson Road Mission" but by the 1940s was being referred to as "Saint Paul's Presbyterian Mission Church, Johnson Road". When the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged in 1972 the Mission became Saint George's United Reformed Church. It subsequently appears to have closed or merged with another church.

Saint George's Presbyterian Church, Croydon, began as a temporary iron church situated on Oakfield Road. By 1865 a permanent church had been constructed. However, membership numbers dropped and the church was closed by 1940. It was used as a food store by the Oxo company during the war and was subsequently converted into a Masonic Lodge.

Warrior Square Presbyterian Church first held services in a hired assembly hall in January 1880. In 1882 a permanent minister was found and by 1883 a church and Sunday School had been constructed on Warrior Square, Saint Leonards on Sea. In 1923 it was decided to change the name of the church to Saint Columba's Presbyterian Church.

The first Presbyterian worship in Maidstone took place in 1672. The Christ's Church Presbyterian Church was situated on Brewer Street and flourished between 1873 and 1881. It is possible that it subsequently closed because in 1947 a meeting was held of people interested in founding a Presbyterian congregation in Maidstone which is described as lacking a church of this denomination. Meetings were held in classrooms at Elms School, London Road and the congregation was placed under the session of Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church, Chatham, as a preaching station. A Sunday School and other societies were founded. Attempts were made to purchase land on which to construct a church, however, it was decided that the congregation was too small to support a full time preacher and in 1951 the meetings were ended.

Harrow Presbyterian Church was founded in Station Road, Greenhill, in 1902; services were held in a hall until Trinity Presbyterian Church, built by W. Gilbert Scott in the Gothic style, was opened in 1906.

Saint Mark's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1834, although a permanent church was not built until 1850. This was destroyed by enemy action in 1944. A new church was built in 1953 on Ashburnham Place, off South Street, Greenwich. The church entered into a partnership with the West Greenwich Methodist Church in 1969 and later merged with the Methodist, Congregationalist and Church of Christ churches in Greenwich to form the Greenwich United Church.

A Presbyterian congregation was first established in Wandsworth in 1871, worshipping in hired assembly rooms until their church was constructed in 1872, at Merton Road.

In 1946 the church amalgamated with Putney Presbyterian Church, Briar Walk, and became known as Putney and Wandsworth Presbyterian Church. The joint congregations worshipped at Briar Walk. In 1968 the spire was removed and the tower was capped off. At the same time, the manse which had stood next to the church was sold and replaced by a house in Fairdale Gardens.

In 1972 the church became known as Putney United Reformed Church following the union of the Congregational and Presbyterian denominations. The last service to be held took place in February 1996.