Mostrar 15888 resultados

Registo de autoridade

Sir William Hale-White was born in Marylebone, London on 7 Nov 1857, the eldest son of William Hale White (Mark Rutherford) and his wife Harriet Arthur. He was educated at the City of London School, and Framlingham College, entering Guy's Hospital, London, in 1874. Graduated MB (London) 1879, and MRCS 1880. He was appointed House Physician and Resident Medical Officer at the Evelina Hospital for Children, Demonstrator of Anatomy at Guy's Hospital, 1881; Assistant Physician, 1885; Lecturer on Medicine, 1899; Croonian Lecturer to the Royal College of Physicians, 1897; He retired as Physician from Guy's Hospital in 1917, and became consulting physician.
During World War 1, White was a member of the Final Medical Appeal Board, and chairman of Queen Mary's Royal Naval Hospital, Southend.
Other posts held included President of the Royal Society of Medicine; late Vice-Chairman Queen's Institute of District Nursing; late Councillor, British Red Cross Society; Fellow, Bedford College; Treasurer, Epsom College, and Harveian Orator, 1927.
White was also joint editor of the Guy's Hospital Reports from 1886-1893, and in 1925 founded the Postgraduate Medical Journal of the Fellowship of Medicine, and the Association of Physicians of Great Britain and Ireland for the interchange of opinion upon the scientific aspects of medicine.
Awards: KBE, 1919; MD London and Dublin; FRCP; Hon. LLD, Edinburgh, 1927; Hon. FRCP, Edinburgh, 1931. In 1886 he married Edith Jane Spencer (Jeanie) Fripp, (died 1945). White died on 26 Feb 1949.
Publications: Text-Book of General Therapeutics, 1889; Materia Medica, 1892; Text-Book of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 1901; Common Affections of the Liver, 1908; Bacon, Gilbert and Harvey, 1927; Laennec, 1923; Great Doctors of the Nineteenth Century, 1935; Keats as Doctor and Patient, 1938.

Reginald Hale White was born in 1895, the third son of William Hale White and his wife Edith Jane Spencer Fripp. He qualified at Guy's Hospital, and took up General Practice.

Bryant , Thomas , 1828-1914 , surgeon

Born, London, 1828; educated King's College London; trained at Guy's Hospital; Surgeon, Guy's Hospital, 1871-1888; Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons; President, Medical Society of London, 1872; President, Hunterian Society, 1873; President, Clinical Society, 1885; President, Royal College of Surgeons, 1890-1893; President, Royal Society of Medicine, 1898-1899; Surgeon Extraordinary to Queen Victoria; Surgeon in Ordinary to King Edward VII, 1901-1910; Treasurer and representative of the Royal College of Surgeons, England, on General Medical Council; died, 1914.
Publications include: On the Diseases and Injuries of the Joints (John Churchill, London, 1859); Clinical Surgery (John Churchill, London, 1860-1867); The Surgical Diseases of Children (Churchill & Sons, London, 1863); The introductory address, delivered at Guy's Hospital, on the opening of the session, October 2nd, 1865 (1865); The Practice of Surgery (J & A Churchill, London, 1872); Harveian Lectures on the mode of death from acute intestinal strangulation and chronic intestinal obstruction Reprinted from the British Medical Journal (J & A Churchill, London, 1885); The Diseases of the Breast (Cassell & Co, London, 1887); Hunterian Lectures, on tension, as met with in surgical practice, inflammation of bone, and on cranial and intercranial injuries (J & A Churchill, London, 1888); The Bradshaw Lecture on Colotomy, Lumbar and Iliac (J & A Churchill, London, 1890); The Hunterian Oration (Adlard & Son, London, 1893); On Villous Growths and the common affections of the rectum (Medical Publishing Co, London, 1899).

Perry , Sir , Edwin Cooper , 1856-1938 , physician

Born 10 Sept, 1856, the son of the Rev E C Perry, Vicar of Seighford, Staffordshire. Educated at home; Mr Gascoigne's School at Spondon, Derbyshire; King's Scholar at Eton College, 1870; King's College Cambridge. Obtained BA in Classics, Cambridge, 1880, MA 1883. In 1880, having been elected a Fellow of King's he became a medical student, and in 1883 he was appointed assistant lecturer in medical sciences at King's and assistand demonstrator of anatomy in the Cambridge medical school. He entered the London Hospital, 1885, qualified MRCS Eng 1885; FRCP Lond, 1894, MRCP 1889. He subsequently held the posts of house surgeon to Sir Frederick Treves and house physician to Sir Stephen Mackenzie.
In 1887 Perry was appointed an assistant physician at Guy's Hospital London, and Dean of the Medical School, 1888. He was also partly responsible for the establishment of the Dental School at Guy's, which opened in 1889. In 1892, he was appointed Superintendent of the Hospital, an office he held until 1920, and a Governor from 1920-1937.
He served on the Senate of the University of London, 1900-1905, 1915-1919, and was Vice Chancellor, 1917-1919, and Principal 1920-1926.
Perry was also concerned in the reorganisation of the nursing staff, and the formation of the (Royal) College of Nursing, of which he was Honorary Secretary until 1935. Also the provision of accommodation for nurses at the hospital, which resulted in the Henriette Raphael Nurses' Home, opened in 1902. Another interest was the standard of education in massage, and gave assistance in the foundation of the Society of Masseuses, 1894, incorporated in 1900. He was chairman of the Council of the Chartered Society of Massage and Medical Gymnastics, 1920-1929, and a School of Massage began at Guy's Hospital 1914. He died on 17 Dec 1938.

Cameron , [Hector Charles] , 1878-1958 , physician

Born in Glasgow, 17 July 1878, son of Sir Hector Clare Cameron; Educated at Clifton College; University of Glasgow; St John's College, Cambridge (Foundation Scholar in Science); Guy's Hospital (University Scholar); Berlin. MA, Hon. LLD (Glasgow), MA, MD (Cambridge). FRCP (Lond.).
Worked as Demonstrator of Physiology at Guy's Hospital Medical School, and Dean of the Medical and Dental School, 1912-1914, Guy's Hospital, London; Consulting Physician to Department for Diseases of Children, Guy's Hospital; Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine. Former Lumleian Lecturer RCP (Lond.), 1925; Past President British Paediatric Association and the Sections for Diseases of Children. Royal Society of Medicine and BMA. Died 1 April 1958.
Publications: The Nervous Child, (5th Edn, 1948); Joseph Lister, The Friend of Man, 1949; Sir Joseph Banks, KB, PRS, 1953; The History of Mr Guy's Hospital 1726-1948, 1954; books and papers upon medical subjects.

Hunter , John , 1728-1793 , surgeon

Born 1728; worked as cabinet maker for brother-in-law in Glasgow; assisted brother William at his London dissecting room, 1748; attended Chelsea Hospital, 1749-1750; studied at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, 1751; appointed a master of anatomy at the Surgeons' Corporation, 1753; surgeon's pupil at St George's Hospital, London, from 1754; matriculated, St Mary Hall, Oxford, 1755; staff surgeon on expedition to Belleisle, 1761; served with British Army in Portugal, 1762; practised as surgeon in Golden Square, London, 1763; Surgeon, St George's Hospital, 1768; took in house pupils including Edward Jenner, 1768; began to lecture on the principles and practice of surgery, 1773; worked on the human placenta and a paper read before the Royal Society, London, 1780; built new museum to house his extensive collection of anatomical specimens, 1785; died, 1793;
Publications include: A treatise on the natural history of the human teeth (London, 1771, 1778); A treatise on the venereal disease (London, 1786); A treatise on the blood, inflammation, and gunshot wounds (published posthumously, London, 1794); Directions for preserving animals and parts of animals for anatomical investigation (London, 1809); The works of John Hunter James Palmer editor 4 volumes (London, 1835-1837); Essays and observations on natural history, anatomy, physiology, psychology and geology Sir R Owen editor 2 volumes (London, 1861).

Ashwell , Samuel , 1798- ? 1852 , physician

Samuel Ashwell was Assistant to James Blundell, Lecturer in Midwifery at Guy's Hospital Medical School from 1825 to 1834 (and previously at the School of the United Hospitals). Ashwell was appointed Lecturer on Midwifery at Guy's Hospital in 1834 on Blundell's resignation, and was probably responsible for arrangements of the new Lying-in Charity to attend child birhs in the vicinity. He was also responsible for the hospital wards for diseases for women, established in 1831. He resigned the lectureship in 1849.

Publications include: A Practical Treatise on Parturition ... To which are appended, two papers ... on abdominal surgery, the other on transfusion; presented by Dr. Blundell (Thomas Tegg, London, 1828); A Practical Treatise on the Diseases peculiar to Women, etc (Samuel Highley, London, 1844).

Samuel Merriman, was born on 25 Oct 1771 at Marlborough, Wiltshire, the son of Benjamin Merriman (1722-1781) and his second wife Mary (nee Hawkes). He was educated at the Marlborough free school. In 1784 he arrived in London to study medicine under his uncle, Dr Samuel Merriman (1731-1818). He also attended the lectures at the Anatomical Theatre in Great Windmill Street, and the Westminster Lying-in Hospital, as well as aquiring clinical knowledge of disease by seeing the numerous patients of his cousin William (1766-1800), son of the elder Samuel Merriman (1731-1818). In 1807, having become a member of the Society of Apothecaries, he entered into partnership with Mr Peregrine, to whom he soon resigned the general practice, limiting himself to midwifery alone. In 1808 he was appointed physician-accoucheur to the Westminster General Dispensary, having previously received the honorary degree of MD from Marischal College, Aberdeen. He resigned the office in 1815, and was appointed consulting physician-accoucheur and subsequently vice-president of the charity. In 1809 he was elected to the same office at the Middlesex Hospital, where in 1810 he commenced his annual course of lectures on midwifery, and continued them regularly till 1825. In 1822, when his consultation practice as a physician for the diseases of women and children had largely increased, he removed to Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, and he subsequently purchased an estate at Rodborne Cheney, Wiltshire. Merriman resigned his post at the Middlesex Hospital on 7 March 1826, but continued to take a warm interest in the institution, and was one of the treasurers from 1840 until 1845. He was elected treasurer of the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society in 1837. Merriman died in Brook Street on 22 Nov 1852. He married in 1799 his cousin Ann (1778-1831), daughter of his uncle, Samuel Merriman(1731-1818).

Publications: `Observations on some late Attempts to Depreciate the Value and Efficacy of Vaccine Inoculation.' 1805; Dissertation on the Retroversion of the Womb, London, 1810; Synopsis of the Various Kinds of Difficult Parturition, London, 1814; The validity of 'Thoughts on Medical Reform', 1833; an edition of Dr M Underwood's Treatise on the Diseases of Children, London, 1827; essays and other papers of his were published in the London Medical Repository, London Medical and Physical Journal, and Medico-Chirurgical Transactions; and articles contributed to Gentleman's Magazine, and Notes and Queries, London Journal of Medicine.

Hugh Ley was born in 1790 at Abingdon, Berkshire, the son of Hugh Ley (1762-1826) a former medical practitioner. He was educated at Dr. Lempriere's school, Abingdon; the united medical schools of St. Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals in Southwark, and took the diploma of the College of Surgeons. He then studied at Edinburgh, where he graduated MD in 1813. On 30 Sep 1818 he was admitted a licentiate of the College of Physicians of London, and began practice in London as a man midwife. He was elected physician to the Westminster Lying-in Hospital, and soon afterwards became lecturer on midwifery at the Middlesex Hospital. On 20 April 1835 he accepted the unanimous invitation of the staff of St Bartholomew's Hospital to deliver the lectures on midwifery in their school. He lived in Half-Moon Street, London, but died, from heart disease, at Stilton, Huntingdonshire, 24 Jan 1837.
Publications: Graduation thesis : The pathology of phthisis, Edinburgh, 1813; An Essay on Laryngismus Stridulus, or Crouplike Inspiration of Infants, 1836.

William Babington was born at Portglenone, near Coleraine, Antrim, Ireland. Apprenticed to a practitioner at Londonderry, and afterwards completed his medical education at Guy's Hospital, London, but without at that time taking a medical degree. In 1777 he was made assistant surgeon to Haslar (Naval) Hospital, and held this appointment four years. He then obtained the position of apothecary to Guy's Hospital, and also lectured on chemistry in the medical school. He resigned the post of apothecary, and, having obtained the necessary degree of MD from the University of Aberdeen in 1795, was elected physician to Guy's Hospital. In 1796 he became a licentiate of the College of Physicians, and remained so till 1827, when he received the unusual honour of being elected fellow by special grace. In 1831 he was made honorary MD by the University of Dublin. He ceased to be physician to Guy's in 1811. He died on 29 April 1833. His son, Benjamin Guy Babington was also also physician to Guy's Hospital, and one of his daughters married the eminent physician, Dr. Richard Bright.
Publications: Syllabus of the Course of Chemical Lectures at Guy's Hospital, 1789; A Systematic Arrangement of Minerals, founded on the joint consideration of their chemical, physical, and external characters, etc, London, 1795; A New System of Mineralogy, in the Form of Catalogue, after the manner of Baron Born's systematic catalogue of the collection of fossils of Mlle. Eleonore de Raab, London, 1799; A Catalogue, systematically arranged and described ... of the genuine and valuable collection of minerals, of a gentleman deceased ... comprising upwards of three thousand specimens ... now offered to the public for sale, etc. [Compiled by W. Babington and others.] Henry Fry: London, 1805; Outlines of a course of lectures on the practice of medicine,. as delivered in the medical school of Guy's Hospital, William Babington and James Curry, London,1802-1806; A syllabus of a course of chemical lectures read at Guy's Hospital William Babington, Alexander Marcet, and William Allen, ... 1816; Two Cases of Rabies Canina, in which opium was given, without success ... the one by William Babington ... the other by William Wavell ... Communicated by Dr. Babington; 'A Case of Exposure to the Vapour of Burning Charcoal' (Med.-Chirurgical Transactions, vol. i. 1806).

Guy's Hospital Medical School

Guy's Hospital Reports was first published in 1836, and contained papers by staff and lecturers of the Hospital. Supervision of the publication of the Reports was undertaken by the Schools Meeting and later by the Advisory Committee of Guy's Hospital Reports. The Editorial Committee oversaw the printing, circulation, advertising and subscriptions. Publication of the Reports was discontinued in 1974 due to the increasing costs of production.

Physical Society of Guy's Hospital

The Physical Society of Guy's Hospital was founded in 1771, and London's first medical society. It was not initially associated with Guy's Hospital, but met in the theatre of Dr Lowder in Southwark, a private teacher of midwifery as well as lecturer at St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals. The first meeting was held at Guy's Hospital between 1780 and 1782. The society met weekly from October to May to hear and discuss a dissertation and exchange medical news and cases. At the early meetings the chairman was usually Dr Haighton, Lecturer in Physiology and Midwifery at St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals. The society was open to physicians, surgeons, apothecaries and pupils, and members largely comprised the officers of the Guy's and Thomas's Hospitals and practitioners in the area. On the establishment of other medical societies in London its popularity declined, and the society closed in 1852.

Born in London, 1900; educated at Mary Datchelor School, Camberwell, and London School of Medicine for Women, 1921-1924; qualified as Doctor of Medicine and Member of the Royal College of Physicians, 1927; Clinical Assistant, the West End Hospital for Nervous Diseases, 1926-1930; First Assistant and Registrar, Children's Department, Royal Free Hospital, 1927-1929; Assistant and subsequently Physician, Prince Louise Hospital for Children, Kensington, 1929-1934; Fellow in Psychiatry, London Child Guidance Clinic, 1931; Temporary Assistant Medical Officer, Maudsley Hospital, 1932-1934; married Aubrey Lewis, 1934; Honorary Psychiatrist in charge of Children's' Psychiatric Department, St George's Hospital, 1938-1940; Physician, Ontario Hospital, Canada, 1940-1944; Psychiatric adviser to the National Council of Social Service Adoption Committee 1945-1947; Psychiatric adviser to Conference of Societies Registered for Adoption; Psychiatrist, Mersham Reception Centre, Kent, 1947-1952; Psychiatrist, Children's Society, 1948; published Deprived children: the Mersham experiment, a social and clinical study (Oxford University Press, 1954); Chairman of the Standing Conference of the Societies Registered for Adoption; Psychiatrist for the Children's Society Adoption Committee 1958; Company Director: Marie Stopes Memorial Foundation Ltd. 1960-, Society for Constructive Birth Control Ltd. 1960; elected Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, 1966; died, 1966.

The Low Income Diet and Nutrition Survey (LIDNS) was commissioned by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) and was carried out by three organisations; the Health Research Group at the National Centre for Social Research, the Nutritional Sciences Research Division at King's College London and the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health at the Royal Free and University College London Medical School. The survey evaluated eating habits, nourishment and nutrition-related health of people on low income and had many aims.

These aims include providing information concerning food and nutrient intakes; to measure health-related factors associated with diet, such as height, weight and blood pressure; to measure levels of physical activity; to analyse smoking and oral health in relation to diet and to evaluate relationships between diet and the risk of developing diseases.

3,728 people from 2,477 low-income households were included in the survey, having been identified as being within the bottom 15% of the population in terms of material deprivation. Research data was collected via interviews and questionnaires, 24-hour recalls of diet, physical measurements and blood samples. Dr Michael Nelson, senior lecturer at King's College London was Principal Investigator in the national survey of diet in low income households; operations staff, principal programmers and data managers were also based at King's College London. The results were published within Low Income Diet and Nutrition Survey Summary of Key Findings, 2007.

The Department of Nutrition and Dietetics at King's College London developed the Secondary School Meals Research Project, 2003-2004. It was funded by the Department for Education and Skills and the Food Standards Agency, as a result of growing concern about childrens' diets and the quality of school meals.

In 1941 the first nutritional standards for school meals were established and later updated several times, for the last time in 1975. However, in 1980 the Education Act removed such nutritional standards and obligations from Local Education Authorities. In 2001 statutory National Nutritional Standards for school lunches were re-introduced. In order to understand the potential changes in the contribution of school lunches to daily intake and following the re-introduction of these standards, a survey of school meals, in a representative sample of English secondary schools, was commissioned.

The study had three main aims; to assess whether the food provided by the school caterer met the statutory 2001 National Nutritional Standards; to assess whether the food provided met the Caroline Walker Trust Experts Working Group's National Guidelines for School Meals; to identify the consumption and nutrient intakes of school children from school meals, then to compare these intakes to the guidelines set out in the Expert Working Group's Report. Food choices of 5,695 pupils from 79 English secondary schools were recorded.

Researchers were based at King's College London and the project was directed by Dr Michael Nelson of King's. This project's findings were reported in School Meals in Secondary Schools in England, 2004.

Queen Elizabeth College Registrar

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985. The Registry dealt with student and academic affairs including applications, examinations and assessments, and its functions were combined with those of the Registry at King's following the merger.

A Department of History and Philosophy of Science was established at University College London when the study of the history of science became popular during the 1950s. The first students were admitted to Chelsea College of Science and Technology in 1964 and a Department was created in 1966. It was transferred to King's College London when Chelsea and King's merged in 1985 and in 1993 became part of the Department of Philosophy in the School of Humanities.

The Institute of Gerontology was established in 1986 as a collaboration between the charity, Age Concern, and King's College London, to engage in multidisciplinary study of ageing and old age. It undertakes research and runs MSc and Diploma programmes in Gerontology. The Institute is now a department within the division of Health Sciences, and part of the School of Life and Health Sciences.

King's College London Department of Mathematics

Mathematics has been taught at King's since it first opened in 1831. It initially was part of the Senior Department and the Department of General Literature and Science and then became part of the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Science from 1893, the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences from 1986, the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences from 1991, and the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering from 1992.

King's College London Association of University Teachers

King's College London Association of University Teachers, which originated in 1917 and had over 850 members in 2001, is the trade union recognised by King's College London to represent academic and related staff. It is part of the national Association of University Teachers, a trade union and professional association which negotiates salaries and conditions of employment for members, represents their views on professional matters in higher education, and provides advice and other services.

King's College London Department of English

Courses in English Literature and History were provided in the Senior Department at King's College from 1831 and shortly afterwards became part of the Department of General Literature and Science. English and History were separated in 1855, when classes in English Language and Literature became available. A Department of English was formed in 1922/23, remaining part of the Faculty of Arts until the School of Humanities was created in 1989.

King's College London Centre for Medical Law and Ethics

The Centre for Medical Law and Ethics, part of the School of Law, was opened in 1978 to undertake research, organise teaching and publish papers concerning issues in medicine involving law and ethics. It draws on the expertise of staff in numerous schools and departments including medicine and theology and offers undergraduate course units and an MA and Diploma programme. The Living Wills Working Party was set up between the Centre and the charity, Age Concern, in 1985, as an early exercise in methodological appraisal of the subject and comprised a forerunner to the Living Wills Project run by the Centre and the AIDS charity, the Terrence Higgins Trust, to measure and evaluate the demand for advanced legal directives and powers of attorney pertaining to medical treatment of terminally or chronically-ill patients.

King's College London Department of Geography

Physical geography, imperial geography, and history and geography, were subjects taught in the Department of General Literature and Science and the Evening Studies Department at King's from the 1850s. A chair in geography was established in 1863. The department became part of the Faculty of Arts in 1893, and the subject taught under an intercollegiate arrangement with the London School of Economics from 1922, becoming known as the Joint School of Geography from 1949. The department was part of the School of Humanities from 1989 and in 2001 merged with the Geography Department of the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS).

Editor of The Children's Friend.

Publications: Baden Powell, the hero of Mafeking (S W Partridge & Co, London, 1900); Frederick Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury (S W Partridge & Co, London, 1901); Lord Kitchener of Khartoum and of Aspall (H J Drane, London, 1901); The Marquess of Salisbury, K.G.; his inherited characteristics, political principles, and personality (S W Partridge & Co, London, 1901); Victoria, the well-beloved (S W Partridge & Co, London, 1901); Canon Barnett, Warden of Toynbee Hall: his mission and its relation to social movement (S. W. Partridge & Co, London, 1902); The Boy's Life of Greatheart Lincoln, the Martyr President (S. W. Partridge & Co, London, [1910]); Follow my Leader! (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1910]); The Chief Scout, Sir Robert Baden-Powell (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1912]); Come out to Play (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1913]); Happy all Day! (Pictures & stories for the little ones) (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1911]); Happy Days (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1913]); King of the Castle! (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1913]); Queen of the Daisies! (S W Partridge & Co, London, [1913]).

Anglo-Hellenic League

The Anglo-Hellenic League was founded in London in 1913 by Dr Ronald Montagu Burrows, Principal of King's College London, William Pember Reeves, Director of the London School of Economics, and two prominent Anglo-Greeks, D J Cassavetti and A C Ionides. Reeves was appointed Chairman with Burrows as Vice Chairman. The main aims of the League were the defence of the just claims and honour of Greece', the removal of existing prejudices and the prevention of future misunderstandings between theBritish and Hellenic races' and also between the Hellenic and other races of South Eastern Europe'. It also sought to spread information on Hellenic matters in Great Britain and the improvement ofthe social, educational, commercial and political relations of the two countries', together with the promotion of travel between Great Britain and Greece. The offices of the League were situated in the Aldywch, London. The League quickly came to be identified with the aspirations of Eleftherios Venizelos, Prime Minister of Greece, and acted as a source of pro-Venizelos political propaganda during the period between Venizelos' forced resignation in 1915 and the formal recognition of Venizelos as Prime Minister of the whole of Greece in Jun 1917 by the Entente powers, arguing particularly for the recognition of Venizelos' provisional government established at Salonica in 1916. Members of the League, including prominent philhellene British and wealthy members of the Greek community in Great Britain, subscribed to the endowment of the Koraes Chair of Modern Greek and Byzantine History, established at King's College London in 1919. The League held an annual meeting and periodic receptions in London to which eminent British philhellenes and Anglophile Greek dignitaries were invited. A sister branch of the League existed in Athens.

Publications: The League published numerous pamphlets on Greek issues, particularly relating to politics. The following are a selection, all published in London (the League pamphlet number is given with the year of publication): Albania and Epirus by William Pember Reeves (no 7, 1914); The New Greece by Ronald Montagu Burrows (no, 14, 1914); Carnegie Endowment for International Peace - Report of the International Commission into the causes and conduct of the Balkan Wars by Burrows (no 15, 1914); The Northern Epirotes by C S Butler (no 16, 1914); The Near East and the European War. Address delivered ... on January 15th, 1915 by Andreas M Andreades (no 17, 1915); Greece and to-morrow by Z Duckett Ferriman (no 23, 1915); Speech of M E Venizelos to the people. Delivered in Athens August 27, 1916 (no 28, 1916); The abdication of King Constantine, June 12, 1917 by Burrows (no 34, 1917); England's welcome to Venizelos at the Mansion House, November 16, 1917: speeches by the Right Hon A J Balfour, Earl Curzon of Kedleston, M. Winston Churchill, Mr Venizelos, Mr J Gennadius, and Dr R M Burrows (no 35, 1917); The Anglo-Hellenic Alliance. Speeches of Mr. Winston Churchill, the Greek Minister (Mr. Gennadius) and Viscount Bryce at the Mansion House June 27, 1918, The anniversary of the entry of re-united Greece into the war, etc. (no. 36, 1918); The Retirement of M. Gennadius. Speeches of Monsieur Venizelos ... and others at a valedictory dinner ... on November 18, 1918 in honour of M. Gennadius (no 38, 1919); The Turks, Cardinal Newman, and the Council of Ten by William Francis Barry (no 40, 1920); The Settlement of the Near East by Sir Arthur Henry Crosfield, Bt (no 45, 1922); The National Claims of the Dodecanese by Michael D Bolonakes (no 46, 1922); The Treatment of the Greek Prisoners in Turkey. Report of the International Commission of Inquiry appointed at the request of the Greek Red Cross (no 51, 1923); The Janina Murders and the occupation of Corfu by George Glasgow (no 53, 1923); Correspondence of Commodore Hamilton during the Greek War of Independence by Gawen William Hamilton (no 57, 1930).

Born, 1831; educated, King's College School, 1842-1845; Royal College of Chemistry, 1845-1850; Sub- Assistant to Professor August Wilhelm Hofmann, 1847; Full Assistant, 1849; private practice, 1850-1854; King's College London, 1854; Professor of Practical Chemistry, King's College London, 1855; Professor of Chemistry, King's College London, 1870; Professor of Chemistry, and Chemistry and Physics, Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, 1855-1882; Professor of Chemistry, Royal Artillery College, Woolwich, 1864-1887; died, 1887. Publications: Hand-book of chemistry, theoretical, practical and technical (London, 1854); Chemistry, inorganic and organic (London, 1867); Laboratory teaching: or, progressive exercises in practical chemistry (London, 1869); Metals: their properties and treatment (London, 1870).

The South-Western Polytechnic, situated at Manresa Road, Chelsea, opened in 1895 to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. Known as Chelsea Polytechnic from 1922, the College taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. The renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971. Chelsea merged with King's College London and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985.

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. The renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971. Chelsea merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985.

The South-Western Polytechnic was opened at Manresa Road, Chelsea, in 1895, to provide scientific and technical education to Londoners. Day and evening classes for men and women comprised study in domestic economy, mathematics, engineering, natural science, art and music. It changed its name to Chelsea Polytechnic in 1922 and taught a growing number of registered students of the University of London, and this relationship was later formally recognised when the Polytechnic, now reconstituted as Chelsea College of Science and Technology, was admitted as a School of the University in 1966. The renamed Chelsea College was formally incorporated into the University of London in 1971. Chelsea merged with King's and Queen Elizabeth College in 1985. The Registry was responsible for the organisation and audit of academic and educational provision throughout the College, most notably in overseeing examinations and academic assessment, and by way of organising ceremonies and graduations.

Born 1899; educated at the Ecole Pascal, Paris, Harrow School and Magdalen College, Oxford, 1917; Grenadier Guards and Army Education Scheme, 1918-1919; Magdalen, 1919-1921; graduated with Zoology degree in 1921; fellow of Merton College, 1923-1938; taught in the University Zoology Department until 1938; reader in embryology, University College London, 1938; Professor, 1945-1950; World War Two work in intelligence, propaganda and psychological warfare; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1940; President of the Linnean Society, 1946-1949; Director of the British Museum (Natural History), 1950-1960; knighted, 1954; retired, 1960; lived in Switzerland, 1965-1971; died 1972. Publications: Growth (London, 1924); Early travellers in the Alps (London, 1930); Vertebrate zoology (London, 1932); An introduction to experimental embryology (Oxford, 1934); De Beer and Julian Sorell Huxley, Elements of experimental embryology (Cambridge, 1934); The development of the vertebrate skull (Oxford, 1937); edited, Evolution. Essays on aspects of evolutionary biology presented to Professor E S Goodrich on his seventieth birthday (Oxford, 1938); Alps and elephants. Hannibal's march (London, 1955); Darwin's Journal (London, 1959); edited Darwin's notebooks on transmutation of species (London, 1960); Charles Darwin: evolution by natural selection (London, 1963); Atlas of evolution (London, 1964); Jean-Jacques Rousseau and his world (London, 1972).

Pearson , John Edward , b 1930 , electrical engineer

Born, 1930; educated, Liverpool University, 1949-1952; employed as a Technical Assistant in a materials application laboratory, EMI, Hayes, Middlesex, and studied physics part-time at Chelsea Polytechnic, 1954-1957; microwave research at the Radio Research Station of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research at Datchet, 1957-1970; Lecturer in Electronics at Chelsea College, 1970-1985; Lecturer at King's College London, 1985-1996; retired, 1996.

Tomlinson , Herbert , 1845-1931 , physicist

Born 1845; education at St Peter's School, York, and Christ Church, Oxford; Demonstrator and Lecturer in Natural Philosophy at King's College London, 1870-1894; Principal of the South-Western Polytechnic, Chelsea, 1894-1904; died, 1931. Publications: numerous papers and articles published in learned journals including the Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society and the Philosophical Magazine.

Chelsea College , Department of Physiology

Physiology was originally part of the Department of Natural Science at Chelsea Polytechnic and, from 1933, the Department of Biology. Instruction in Physiology continued to be provided by this department until 1951, and mostly comprised teaching for the intermediate and final BSc General degree of the University of London. Some instruction was also provided for Pharmacy students, but Physiology constituted only a small part of the course and Pharmacology was not taught. The Department of Physiology was formed in 1952 then, in 1954, the growing importance of Pharmacology was finally acknowledged and a Department of Physiology and Pharmacology was created. This became a major department with an emphasis on evening and part-time classes gradually giving way to more full-time courses. Postgraduate and research courses were provided alongside the BSc Special degree in Physiology. Pharmacology was introduced as a specialised subject for the BPharm, while a Diploma of Technology was instituted in 1958. Physiology and Pharmacology were split into separate departments when Chelsea was incorporated into the University of London in 1966. The Department of Physiology continued at Chelsea College until the merger with King's College London in 1985.

Pharmacy classes were introduced around 1896 in the Chemistry section of the Technical Department at the South Western Polytechnic. Instruction for examinations of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain commenced in 1922 when the Chelsea School of Pharmacy was opened in the re-named Chelsea Polytechnic. Courses suitable for the Assistants' Examination of the Society of Apothecaries were also introduced. Chelsea became the first institution to offer a University of London recognised degree in Pharmacy from 1926. The rapid expansion of teaching occasioned the opening of a separate Department of Pharmacy in 1933. When Chelsea and King's merged in 1985, the department became part of the Faculty of Life Sciences. From 1991 this was part of the Health Science division of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences, and from 1998 part of the School of Life Sciences.

Chelsea College Department of Sociology and Psychology

A social studies course was first introduced in 1941 at the then Chelsea Polytechnic to help train Red Cross and civil defence workers for social work after the war. This led to the creation in 1970 of the Department of Sociology and Psychology that aimed to cover work in social and behavioural sciences, including a postgraduate course in Social Work Studies and a two-year MSc course, which also led to the Certificate of Qualification in Social Work. The Department Sociology and Psychology was closed at the end of 1983.

The proposals of a biology panel of 1961 (made up of members of both the Science Masters Association and the Association of Women Science Teachers, later the Association for Science Education) to discuss teaching methods for Biology O-level (BOL) formed the starting point for deliberations of the Biology Section of the Nuffield Foundation Science Teaching Project. As a first step in 1962 a group of teachers was appointed to draft a complete O-level course in biology. The third year was tried out in schools during 1963-1964. During the following year, all five years were tried out. The draft publications were then revised on the basis of teachers' and pupils' criticism. The course organiser was Mr W H Dowdeswell, and the consultative committee consisted of Professor M M Swann, Mr D P Bennett, Mr C D Bingham, Dr J K Brierley, Professor J H Burnett, Professor G E Fogg, Miss M Going, Mr E J Machin, Mr S T S Skillin, and Dr N Tinbergen. Others involved in the compilation and testing of material and writing of books made up the Team Leaders and Area Leaders. The Nuffield Foundation Biology Project was envisaged as a five-year course for pupils between the ages of 11 and 16. The first two years, covering the ages 11 to 13, represented the introductory phase in which the groundwork was laid. The final three years represented the O-level examination. Schools were encouraged to start pupils at Year I or Year III. A Text and Teachers' Guide was produced for each of the five years of the course. Examinations in the Biology O-level were first set in summer 1965 for pupils from trial schools only. Similar examinations were held in 1966 and 1967. For the years following the GCE Examining Boards agreed that a Nuffield O-level paper would be set for all candidates wishing to enter. The Nuffield O-level Biology Continuation related to evaluation of BOL materials, and concentrated on four areas: content analysis; teacher opinion; implementation in schools; and examinations. The analysis included a questionnaire and was carried out in 1970.

The Secondary Science Section of the Nuffield Foundation Science Teaching Project was concerned with the preparation of material for pupils in secondary schools aged between 13 and 16 who were unlikely to be entered for O-level papers in science. The work was based on the ideas of the Schools Council Working Paper Number I. The scheme was built around eight major themes: the interdependence of living things; the continuity of life; the biology of man; harnessing energy; extension of sense perception; movement; using materials; and the earth and its place in the universe. Each theme consisted of several 'fields' of study, and teachers were encouraged to choose their own 'routes' to determine the emphasis and timetabling of each theme. In the spring term of 1966 a small-scale feasibility trial was conducted in 15 schools, with emphasis on the suitability of pupils' material. Full-scale development trials started in 53 schools in September 1967. The organiser of the Secondary Science course was Hilda Misselbrook, assisted by Mr L G Smith as consultant and two observers, Dr J K Brierley and Mr T R Jenkyn (both Her Majesty's Inspectors of Schools).

Born 1778; educated at schools at Dorking, Putney and Kensington; Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, 1796, graduated BA as second wrangler and second Smith's prizeman; member's prize for Latin essay, and elected Fellow, 1801; ordained deacon, 1802; ordained priest, 1803; curate of Wrotham, Kent, 1804-1806; moderator, University of Cambridge, 1806-1809; Proctor, 1808; Select preacher, 1809-1811; appointed Hulsean Christian Advocate, 1811; appointed domestic chaplain to the Archbishop of Canterbury, 1813; frequently contributed to the Quarterly Review, whilst resident at Cambridge, c.1806-1813; rector of Buxted, Sussex, 1815; rector of Lambeth, Surrey, and Sundridge, Kent, 1820; treasurer to the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, member of the London committee of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, and a principal promoter of the establishment of King's College London, attacking the secular London University (now University College London) by his letter to Sir Robert Peel signed 'Christianus'; died 1846.
Publications: Letters to Sir William Drummond and Remarks on Sir William Drummond's Oedipus Judaicus (1813); Two discourses preached before the University of Cambridge on the doctrine of a particular providence and modern unitarianism (1812); D'Oyly and Mant's Bible (with Reverend R Mant), (for SPCK, 1814); Life of Archbishop Sancroft, 2 vols (1821); Sermons, chiefly doctrinal, with notes (1827).

Drake , Bernard , fl 1841-1853 , classicist

Student at Eton College in 1841; edited Demosthenes peri tou stefanou. The Oration of Demosthenes on the Crown. The Greek text of the Zurich edition with explanatory notes (Macmillan, Cambridge, 1851) and Aeschyli Eumenides. The Greek text, with English notes, an English verse translation; and an introduction, containing an analysis of the dissertations of C. O. Müller (Macmillan, Cambridge, 1853).

The Befriending Project was established in 1991 by Professor George Brown and Dr Tirril Harris, based at the Psychological Medicine and Psychiatry Department of the Institute of Psychiatry, later part of King's College London. This was a randomised controlled trial, comprising two stages. The project investigated whether befriending could improve remission rates from chronic depression.

The first stage of the project comprised interviews; the sample patients were divided into three groups and given ID numbers; these were: the intervention group containing 60 patients, the control group containing 60 patients and a group of 56 volunteer befrienders.

During the second stage of the project those in the control group, who had been followed up and found not to have recovered, were offered befriending and many accepted. These patients were given a second ID number and formed part of the second stage intervention group; new participants and new control group members joined the project at this stage.

Professor George Brown's teams used psychosocial measures originally developed to explain the onset of depressive episodes, factors which might also perpetuate disorder, including the LEDS (Life Events and Difficulties Schedule) with SLEDS (Shortened Life Events and Difficulties Schedule), Professor George Brown and Dr Tirril Harris, 1978; the SESS (Self Evaluation and Social Support Schedule), Brown et al, 1986, 1990; the COPI (Coping with Severe Events and Difficulties Interview), Professor Antonia Bifulco and Brown, 1996; the CECA (Childhood Experience of Care and Abuse) with MINICECA, Bifulco, Brown and Harris, 1994; the ASI (Attachment Style Interview) Bifulco et al, 2002 with the Bedford College version of the SCAN (Schedule for Clinical Assessment in Neuropsychiatry), Professor John Wing et al, 1990. The project spanned four years.

Institute of Psychiatry and Medical Research Council

The Camberwell Register was set up in 1964 by the Medical Research Council Social Psychiatry Unit led by Dr Lorna Wing, based at the Institute of Psychiatry, now part of King's College London. It began operation in January 1965. Its purpose was to provide an in-depth and cumulative source of data on the users of psychiatric services in a defined geographical area to test various hypotheses concerning the influence of social factors on the onset, course and outcome of psychiatric disorders. Camberwell was chosen as a testing ground because of the vicinity of the Maudsley and Bethlem Royal Hospitals, and it constituted one of a number of such registers to be compiled at this time in the United Kingdom and internationally, most notably at Aberdeen, Cardiff, Worcester, Nottingham and Northampton. It measured contact and monitored changes in the uptake of services and collected social and clinical information on sufferers and included both in-patients and out-patients. Data was initially only accumulated in hard-copy but was later also transferred to temporary electronic storage based at the University of London Computer Centre. Analysis programs were written to provide year by year statistics on the progress of the project. The register evaluated the effectiveness of competing community-based and hospital-based rehabilitation, the value of specialised psychotherapy and long term support, and provided invaluable statistics on the demography, socio-economic breakdown and distribution of the mentally ill, their support and care. The project ended in 1984 but follow-up data has accrued since then.

Institute of Psychiatry

CUTLASS was an Institute of Psychiatry research study, conducted 1999-2000. Funded by the National Health Service, the study aimed to establish whether the financial cost of new atypical medications for schizophrenia were offset by an increased quality of life for the patient.

In 1987 the Institute of Psychiatry ran the Familial and Environmental Factors in Functional Psychosis Study. The study aimed to establish the significance of familial and early environmental factors in psychotic illness. The study involved interviewing patients and first degree relatives (preferably the mother), examining patients' educational history prior to illness and taking CT (computerised tomography) scans.

Leigh , Denis , 1915-1998 , consultant psychiatrist

Born 1915; Consultant Psychiatrist at the Maudsley Hospital and Bethlem Royal Hospital, based primarily at the Maudsley; last Physician to the Bethlem; characterized Leigh disease, also called sub-acute necrotizing encephalopathy Leigh syndrome, 1951; Secretary General of the World Psychiatric Association, [1977]; died, 1998.

Publications: The Historical Development of British Psychiatry: Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century, Volume I (New York, Pergamon Press, 1961).

Buchanan , Alec William , b 1958 , forensic psychiatrist

Born 1958; University of Edinburgh, MB ChB, 1981; MRC Psych, 1989; University of London, MPhil (psychiatry), 1991; Senior Registrar in Psychiatry, Maudsley Hospital, 1992; University of Cambridge, MPhil (criminology), 1993; University of Cambridge, PhD, 1996; University of Edinburgh, MD, 1996; Honorary Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist, Maudsley Hospital, 1997; Senior Lecturer in the Department of Forensic Psychiatry at the Institute of Psychiatry, London; Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Yale University. 2003. Publication:Care of the mentally disordered offender in the community edited by Alec Buchanan (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2002)

King's College London , Institute of Psychiatry

The Twins' Early Development Study (TEDS) was established in 1994 with the support of the Medical Research Council (MRC) and is based at the Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry Research Centre of the Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London. It was set up to investigate the development of three common psychological problems in children: communication disorders, mild mental impairment and behaviour problems, using sets of twins to test the relative importance of environmental and genetic causation in determining their onset, with autism as a main line of enquiry. Studies also include the process of skill development such as language skills and story telling. The project comprises initial and yearly follow-up face to face and telephone interviews and written responses taken from around 16,000 pairs of twins born in England and Wales between 1994 and 1996 and their parents and teachers, and more lengthy and detailed responses from the parents of those children who developed problems.

The twins were identified and located by the Office for National Statistics, which manages the principal name list. This data has been combined with genetic sampling to gauge the contribution of inheritance to language and cognitive development. The study is one of the largest of its kind in the world and also comprises a number of working groups using samples of raw data from smaller cohorts to analyse specific aspects of the behavioural development of young children. Notably, groups are investigating the influence of other siblings in the twins' home lives and on `Environmental Risk' factors in child development.