Showing 15888 results

Authority record

Park Presbyterian Church, Grosvenor Road, Highbury, was built after the Scotch congregation at Myddelton Hall, Upper Street, increased. It was one of three United Presbyterian churches in London founded with the aid of John Henderson of Renfrewshire. Later the church was part of the Presbyterian Church of England which was formed in 1876. As the district had no poor, the church supported City missions in Hoxton. The church closed in around 1950.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.

Crouch Hill Presbyterian Church, Holly Park, originated in an iron chapel built in the Finsbury Park area in 1873. The Holly Park site was bought with the help of Sir George Bunce. A lecture hall and vestries were built in 1876; services were held in this hall until a permanent chapel opened in 1878. A new hall seating over 500 and other rooms behind the church were begun in 1889. The church closed in 1975 and the buildings were demolished.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.

In 1879, the Presbytery purchased and occupied church buildings (now called Saint Margaret) located in Putney Park Land, which had formed the private chapel of the Granard Estate. The Church was therefore initially known as the Granard Presbyterian Church. This remained the place of worship until 1897 when the church moved to buildings on the corner of Briar Walk and Upper Richmond Road.

In 1941 a bomb destroyed all the halls and a third of the church. Rebuilding of the church and new halls was completed in 1957. In 1946 the church amalgamated with Wandsworth Presbyterian Church, Merton Road and became known as Putney and Wandsworth Presbyterian Church. In 1968 the spire was removed and the tower was capped off. At the same time, the manse which had stood next to the church was sold and replaced by a house in Fairdale Gardens.

In 1972 the church became known as Putney United Reformed Church following the union of the Congregational and Presbyterian denominations. The last service to be held took place in February 1996.

A Presbyterian congregation was first established in Wandsworth in 1871, worshipping in hired assembly rooms until their church was constructed in 1872, at Merton Road.

In 1946 the church amalgamated with Putney Presbyterian Church, Briar Walk, and became known as Putney and Wandsworth Presbyterian Church. The joint congregations worshipped at Briar Walk. In 1968 the spire was removed and the tower was capped off. At the same time, the manse which had stood next to the church was sold and replaced by a house in Fairdale Gardens.

In 1972 the church became known as Putney United Reformed Church following the union of the Congregational and Presbyterian denominations. The last service to be held took place in February 1996.

Saint Peter's Presbyterian Church, Upper Tooting, was founded in 1685. In 1972 it joined the United Reformed Church.

Trinity Church [East Ham Presbyterian Church], East Avenue, Manor Park, originated in the 1890s, when Alexander Thompson, a Scotsman who had previously worshipped at Plashet Park Congregational church, began to hold Presbyterian meetings at his house in Victoria Avenue. With help from the Presbytery of London North a site was bought in East Avenue, and in 1900 an iron church, given by Dr. J. A. Voelker, was erected there. There were early disagreements between the local congregation, which favoured a conventional organization, and the Presbytery, which advocated mission work of the 'central hall' type. These were settled by a compromise; in 1902 Thomas G. Murray became the first minister, in 1903 a permanent church was built, and in 1905 halls were added. By 1909 the membership was 424, and during the brilliant ministry of I. Gwessin Jenkins (1910-1928) it rose to 600. Under Jenkins's successor there was a sharp decline, but the church revived after the coming in 1935 of W. Harding Jones. In 1941 the church was joined by the congregation of Trinity Presbyterian church, Maryland Point (West Ham), from which it took over the name Trinity. From 1941 to 1945 it also accommodated the members of Wakefield Street Congregational church, whose own building had been bombed.

Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 31-38.

The Presbyterian Church in Poplar was first situated on Manor Street, off the East India Road, and was called the 'East India Road Presbyterian Church'. In 1865 the church moved to former Baptist premises on Plimsoll Street, taking the name 'East India Road Presbyterian Church, Plimsoll Street'. The building was bombed in 1940. In 1954 the congregation voted to change the name of the church to 'Saint Columba's Presbyterian Church'. In 1963 the church united with the Trinity Congregational Church, situated on the same street, with the name Poplar United Church. The Presbyterian church building was demolished.

Saint James's Church, Wood Green, was formed in 1875, when the Presbyterian Church of England took over an iron chapel which had been used for four years by the Church of Scotland. There were about 100 members in 1877, when work started on a church in Green Lanes. The new building, of redbrick dressed with Bath stone, was noted for its grandeur. It seated 400 worshippers, apart from those in the galleries, but was soon extended to take 700; in 1902 it had the fourth largest congregation within the London Presbytery. In 1950 members united with Bowes Park Congregational church, whose premises they used as the United Church of Saint James-at-Bowes. The former Presbyterian church afterwards served as a warehouse and survived in 1974.

Bowes Park Congregational church began as a hall and schoolrooms, registered in 1902, at the corner of Arcadian Gardens and Wood Green High Road. A large red-brick church with stone dressings, adjoining the hall, was founded in 1909 and registered in 1912. After the congregation had united with that of Saint James's Presbyterian church in 1950, the premises became those of the United Church of Saint James-at-Bowes.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 356-364.

A lecture hall at the western end of Church Street, Enfield, was built in 1902 and used for Presbyterian services until 1907, when the church of Saint Paul was opened. The church, a ragstone building in the 13th-century Gothic style, was designed by William Wallace and was originally intended to have a spire. It could seat circa 500 in 1973. In 1972 it joined the United Reformed church on the merger of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 250-253.

Saint George's Presbyterian Church, Palmers Green, was constructed in Fox Lane in 1913, although the congregation had been meeting since 1909. In 1972 it amalgamated with the Congregational Church in Fox Lane to become the United Reformed Church. The building has now been replaced by a block of flats.

The Trinity Presbyterian Church, Clapham Road, Lambeth, was formed in 1861. The church foundation stone was laid in 1862. However, it appears that the church was not in use after 1956.

Cricklewood Presbyterian Church on Rondu Road was registered in 1900. It appears to have closed by 1954.

John Knox Presbyterian Church, on Stepney Way, Stepney, was founded in 1844. When the Congregational Church and the Presbyterian Church decided to amalgamate to form the new United Reformed Church in 1972, the John Knox Presbyterian Church merged with Stepney Meeting House which was also situated on Stepney Way. For a short while both buildings continued to be used for worship, but in 1976 the Stepney Meeting House building on the corner with Copley Street was sold to the John Cass Foundation for use as a school chapel.

The Regent Square Presbyterian Church was originally established by a fund set up by the Highland Society of London in 1808 to provide for Gaelic-language worship in London. Its first premises were in what is now Hatton Yard in Hatton Garden and it moved to its current site at the corner of Regent Square and Tavistock Place in 1827. The Church was affiliated to the Church of Scotland and the Free Church of Scotland before joining the Presbyterian Church of England. The church was badly damaged by bombing in World War Two and was remodelled in 1965.

In 1972 when the Presbyterian and Congregationalist churches merged, the Regent Square Presbyterian Church became the Regent Square United Reformed Church. It has subsequently changed its name to the Lumen United Reformed Church. For more historical information see http://www.lumenurc.org.uk/Lumenhistory.htm (last accessed February 2009).

Saint John's Presbyterian Church was situated on Scarsdale Villas, Kensington. It was founded in 1862. In 1930 the Emperor's Gate Presbyterian Church (which was formed when the South Kensington and Belgrave Presyterian Churches merged in 1922) merged with Saint John's.

Saint George's Presbyterian Church was built in 1888 in the Early English style, with seating for 550. It was constructed in Willesden Lane, Brondesbury. The church closed in 1973 and the congregation united with that of Saint Margaret's Presbyterian Church, which changed its name to Saint Margaret and Saint George United Reformed and Moravian Church. The church building is now used as a Hindu temple.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 242-246.

In 1891 the Presbyterian Church of England acquired land at the corner of Ballards Lane and Redbourne Avenue, where a hall was opened in 1893 and registered in 1894. The church was registered in 1895. Called Saint Margaret's from 1932, the church joined with Church End Congregational Church in 1969 to form Union Church, Finchley Central; after the formation of the United Reformed church in 1972, it was known as Saint Margaret's United Reformed Church. The old Presbyterian church hall was still used by the united congregation in 1976 but was demolished in 1977.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate (1980), pp. 87-91.

The Presbyterian Church of England formed a congregation at Golders Green, probably in 1910. Premises on the corner of Helenslea Avenue and Finchley Road were opened for worship in 1911 and, as Saint Ninian's church, registered for marriages in 1912. The church, a redbrick building in the Perpendicular style, was designed by T. Phillips Figgis. The foundation stone of a church hall, which replaced a wooden hut, was laid in 1925.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 39-43.

Muswell Hill Presbyterian Church, at the corner of Prince's Avenue and the Broadway, was registered in 1899 and completed in 1903. The church was built of flint and terracotta, to the designs of G. Baines, with late Gothic and art nouveau features, including a corner tower surmounted by a copper spirelet. Its materials and style later won widespread attention and led to a campaign for its preservation after the Presbyterians joined the Congregationalists in 1973. The building, seating around 600, was unused in 1976.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate (1980), pp. 183-189.

Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1861, situated on Anglesea Hill. In 1924 it merged with the New Road Presbyterian Church, Woolwich, which had been founded in 1662.

Hither Green Presbyterian Church, Birkhall Road, was formed in 1899. It is now Hither Green United Reformed Church following the merger in 1972 of the Prebyterian and Congregational Churches to form the United Reformed Church.

The Oxendon Presbyterian Church was founded in 1737 in Great Street. It moved to Oxendon Chapel, on Oxendon Street, Haymarket, in 1808. In 1878 it moved to Haverstock Hill, at the junction of Prince of Wales Road and Maitland Park, Belsize Park, taking the name Oxendon Presbyterian Church to commemorate its previous location. It was damaged during the Second World War and was not reopened until 1957.

New Road Presbyterian Church, Woolwich, was founded in 1662. It united with Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Woolwich, in 1924.

Saint Peter's Presbyterian Church, Upper Tooting, was founded in 1685. In 1972 it joined the United Reformed Church. It is now closed.

Saint George's Presbyterian Church was built in 1888 in the Early English style, with seating for 550. It was constructed in Willesden Lane, Brondesbury. The church closed in 1973 and the congregation united with that of Saint Margaret's Presbyterian Church, which changed its name to Saint Margaret and Saint George United Reformed and Moravian Church. The church building is now used as a Hindu temple.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 242-246.

Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was situated in Leysfield Road, off Goldhawk Road, Hammersmith. The foundation stone was laid in March 1870. The church was closed and is now the Saint Andrew Bobola Polish Roman Catholic Church.

Saint John's Wood Presbyterian Church was founded in 1851. It was situated on Marlborough Place. It became Saint John's Wood United Reformed Church in 1972 when the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged.

Westbourne Grove Presbyterian Church was situated at the north end of Westbourne Grove Terrace. It was registered by the United Presbyterian Church in 1863 and, as Saint Paul's Church by the Presbyterian Church of England, 1877. In 1919 the church united with Trinity Church, Kensington Park Road, Kensington, and registered as "Bayswater Presbyterian Church (Trinity and St. Paul's)" . The Church was called Bayswater United Reformed Church from 1972.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 260-264.

Saint John's Presbyterian Church, High Road, north Tottenham, was registered in 1866, three years after services had started in a lecture hall. The building had seats for 450. By 1876 Saint John's had opened a mission hall in Coleraine Park, which remained in use until 1915 and, as a Sunday school, until 1917. After the First World War the removal of many members to the outer suburbs reduced the active congregation to about 40 by 1939, when the church was accordingly closed.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 356-364.

Saint Aidan's Presbyterian Church, West Ealing, replaced the Elthorne Park Presbyterian Church, Hanwell, in 1922. The building was at the corner of Leybourne Avenue and Saint Aidan's Road. From 1972 it was called Saint Aidan's United Reformed Church following the merger of the Presbyterian and Congregational churches.

Cricklewood Presbyterian Church on Rondu Road was registered in 1900. It appears to have closed by the 1970s as there is no listing for a Presbyterian church in Cricklewood in the 'Official Handbook of the Presbyterian Church of England 1971-1972'. From 1973 a Cricklewood United Reformed Church is listed in the Congregational Church Year Book.

Trinity Presbyterian Church, Leytonstone Road, Maryland Point, was founded in 1863 by Andrew Black, of the United Presbyterian Church, who became the first minister (1863-1875). A hall was built in 1864 and the church itself in 1870. It was a brick and stone building in the Gothic style, with a spired angle tower. After early difficulties Trinity flourished under Alexander Jeffrey (1888-1906), the building debt being cleared and communicants numbering over 400, including many seamen. The leading layman at this period was an engine-driver, Alexander Keir. From 1906 the church was declining, and in 1941 it was closed, the members joining East Avenue church, Manor Park, which then took the name Trinity. The Leytonstone Road building, later used as a factory, was destroyed by fire in 1953. The church hall still survived, as a factory, in 1966.

From: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 123-141.

East Ham Presbyterian Church, later Trinity Presbyterian Church, East Avenue, Manor Park, originated in the 1890s, when Alexander Thompson, a Scotsman who had previously worshipped at Plashet Park Congregational church, began to hold Presbyterian meetings at his house in Victoria Avenue. With help from the Presbytery of London North a site was bought in East Avenue, and in 1900 an iron church, given by Dr. J. A. Voelker, was erected there. There were early disagreements between the local congregation, which favoured a conventional organization, and the Presbytery, which advocated mission work of the 'central hall' type. These were settled by a compromise; in 1902 Thomas G. Murray became the first minister, in 1903 a permanent church was built, and in 1905 halls were added. By 1909 the membership was 424, and during the brilliant ministry of I. Gwessin Jenkins (1910-1928) it rose to 600. Under Jenkins's successor there was a sharp decline, but the church revived after the coming in 1935 of W. Harding Jones. In 1941 the church was joined by the congregation of Trinity Presbyterian church, Maryland Point (West Ham), from which it took over the name Trinity. From 1941 to 1945 it also accommodated the members of Wakefield Street Congregational church, whose own building had been bombed.

Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 31-38.

In 1891 the Presbyterian Church of England acquired land at the corner of Ballards Lane and Redbourne Avenue, where a hall was opened in 1893 and registered in 1894. The church was registered in 1895. Called Saint Margaret's from 1932, the church joined with Church End Congregational Church, Victoria Avenue, in 1969 to form Union Church, Finchley Central; after the formation of the United Reformed church in 1972, it was known as Saint Margaret's United Reformed Church. The old Presbyterian church hall was still used by the united congregation in 1976 but was demolished in 1977.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate (1980), pp. 87-91.

Muswell Hill Presbyterian Church, at the corner of Prince's Avenue and the Broadway, was registered in 1899 and completed in 1903. The church was built of flint and terracotta, to the designs of G. Baines, with late Gothic and art nouveau features, including a corner tower surmounted by a copper spirelet. Its materials and style later won widespread attention and led to a campaign for its preservation after the Presbyterians joined the Congregationalists in 1973. The building, seating around 600, was unused in 1976.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6: Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey with Highgate (1980), pp. 183-189.

Presbyterians were established in Wembley in 1899 and a hall in Ealing Road was registered for worship in 1902. Saint Andrew's Church was built in 1904, to seat 450 people, and enlarged in 1907. The church has now closed and the congregation merged with that of Wembley Park United Reformed Church.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 261-264.

Saint George's Presbyterian Church, Hainault Road, Leytonstone, originated in 1888, when the Reverend G. Drysdale, a retired minister living in the district, built an iron church in Wallwood Road. In 1891 the Presbytery of North London recognized this as a sanctioned charge and in 1893 a permanent building designed by William Wallace was opened in Hainault Road. It is a red-brick building with stone dressings, in the Gothic style, consisting of nave and transepts. Under William Kidd (1895-1919) a debt of £6,000 was paid off, a hall built, and membership raised from 36 to nearly 200. During the 1920s, however, the church began to decline rapidly, and in 1939 it was closed and sold to the Essex county council, which used it as a civil defence depot.

From: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 223-233.

The Albion Chapel was situated on the south east corner of Finsbury Pavement, on the north side of London Wall. It was built in 1814 for a congregation of Scottish Presbyterians. The Old Bethlem Hospital had occupied part of the site. The church was demolished in 1879 to make way for Tower Chambers.

Camden Road Presbyterian Church was situated on Camden Park Road, off Camden Road, between Kentish Town and Caledonian Park. It was part of the London North District. In the 1880s it ran a Sunday School, Bible classes, Dorcas Society, Young Men's Association and ministry to the poor. It also participated in the London North District mission at Leighton Road. The church does not appear in the 1971 Official Handbook of the Presbyterian Church and it is possible that it closed or merged with another church before this date.

The Regent Square Presbyterian Church (see LMA/4147) first started a mission in the Somers Town and Saint Pancras area in 1843, using a variety of buildings to host their meetings. In 1874 Goldington Crescent Church, near Mornington Crescent, was purchased as a permanent building and the name Goldington Crescent Presbyterian Church was adopted. By 1881 the congregation had outgrown this building and subsequently raised the funds to build a new, larger church and hall on Ossulston Street, Somers Town, designed by architect George Lethbridge. The new church was opened in 1882 and the church was renamed Somers Town Presbyterian Church. The church does not appear in the Presbyterian Church Official Handbook for 1971 and is likely to have closed before this date.

Presbyterian Housing was the first of the philanthropic societies to build in Poplar. When it was formed in 1925 there were several Presbyterian churches and a Presbyterian Women's Settlement in the Poplar area. At the instigation of Dr A. Herbert Gray of Crouch Hill, Miss H. B. Mackay, the Warden of the Settlement, addressed an informal meeting in Hampstead. Offers of help were immediately forthcoming and a committee was appointed to implement what was at first simply called the 'Presbyterian Housing Scheme'. Presbyterian Housing began its activities in Poplar in 1926 by converting properties in Poplar High Street into flats. It then moved on to build a new block of flats in Simpson's Road - Goodspeed House, opened in 1929. On 29 May 1929 the scheme became Presbyterian Housing Ltd, which was registered as a public utility society. A further block of flats was built in Simpson's Road (Goodwill House, opened in 1932) with the help of a supplemental contribution from the LCC.

From: 'Public Housing in Poplar: The Inter-war Years', Survey of London: volumes 43 and 44: Poplar, Blackwall and Isle of Dogs (1994), pp. 23-37.

Saint Augustine's Presbyterian Church was formed in 1870. In 1963 Saint Augustine's formally united with New Barnet Congregational Church and became Saint John's Congregational-Presbyterian Church, New Barnet. It is now Saint John's United Reformed Church.

Saint Andrew's United Reformed Church, at the corner of Finchley Road and Frognal Lane, originated as a Presbyterian church. The site was bought in 1897 and a lecture hall built by 1902. Services were held in the hall until a church of Kentish ragstone, with an imposing tower and spire, was constructed by Pite and Balfour in 1904.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 153-158.

Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church was situated in West Ferry Road, Millwall. It was founded in 1859. Saint Paul's became Millwall United Reformed Church when the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged in 1972, however, membership was low and the church subsequently closed.

Trinity Presbyterian Church, Norwich, Norfolk, was founded in 1867. The church was first situated on Theatre Street, but was badly damaged during the Second World War. It was rebuilt in 1956 on Unthank Road. The church belonged to the Presbytery of London North. In 1972 the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged to form the United Reformed Church. Trinity United Reformed Church is still situated on Unthank Road.

Trinity Presbyterian Church, Notting Hill, was situated on Kensington Park Road between Blenheim and Elgin Crescents. The first chapel on this site was built in 1862 by the Reverend Henry Marchmont, a clergyman of the Church of England who conducted ritualistic services here. This chapel was destroyed in a fire in 1867. Marchmont began to build the present church, but in 1871 he was declared bankrupt and the uncompleted carcase was sold to the congregation of Presbyterians who had hitherto met at a chapel in The Mall, Notting Hill Gate. Under these new owners the church was completed, and until 1919 was known as Trinity Presbyterian Church. By 1973 it was in undenominational use and no longer appears in the Presbyterian Church official handbook.

Source: 'The Ladbroke estate: The 1860s onwards', Survey of London: volume 37: Northern Kensington (1973), pp. 235-251.

Saint Ninian's Presbyterian Church, Golders Green was founded in 1910. The Church building was finished by 1911, situated at 847 Finchley Road. Saint Ninian's joined the United Reformed Church in 1972 when the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged. In 1979 Saint Ninian's merged with the Golders Green Methodist Church with the new name of Trinity Church, which is situated on Hodford Road.

Victoria Docks Presbyterian Church, Hack Road, West Ham, was built in 1872 by James Duncan, the sugar-refiner, to meet the needs of his Scottish workers. It was bombed early in the Second World War, and not rebuilt.

Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 123-141.