Saint Stephen's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1896 by the Church of Scotland. It was transferred to the Presbyterian Church of England in 1921. It is possible that it merged with the local Congregational Church to form the Saint Thomas' United Reform Church, Watford.
Willesden Presbyterian church opened in 1875 in a hall seating 150 at Fortune Gate, Harlesden. In 1876 a chapel was built at the junction of Nicoll Road and Craven Park Road and the church was renamed Saint Margaret Presbyterian Church. The chapel was extended in 1884 and 1894. The name was changed to Saint Margaret United Reformed church in 1959 and Saint Margaret and Saint George United Reformed and Moravian church in 1974 following a merger with nearby Saint George Presbyterian Church.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 242-246.
Ipswich Presbyterian Church was founded in 1868. The church building on Barrack Corner was opened in 1870. It is now the Barrack Corner United Reformed Church.
Saint John's Presbyterian Church, Hallowell Road, Northwood, was founded in 1905. It is now Saint John's United Reformed Church.
Trinity Presbyterian Church began after a report by the Presbyterian district visitor for Hampstead that Scottish inhabitants needed a preaching station, 1844. The London Presbytery suggested that a meeting be formed to rent premises. Eight men, including 5 gardeners, rented Temperance Hall in Perrin's Court, recognized as a preaching station. By the end of 1845 the average attendance was 130 in the morning and 80 in the evening. A permament pastor was appointed in 1846. The congregation moved to Well Walk Chapel in 1853, however, the building was dilapidated, so a site at 2 High Street, on the corner of Willoughby Road, was bought in 1861. The new church opened in 1862. It was demolished in 1962 and the members joined Saint Andrew's Presbyterian church, Finchley Road. Shops were built on the site and the hall was converted into Trinity Close.
The Church ran a mission in Perrin's Court, started between 1864 and 1869, including a ragged school. Cottage meetings were held at New End from 1869, and open-air services were held in brickfields and Branch Hill Square. Another mission was formed at Dickinson Street Hall, Kentish Town in 1888, which later moved to 73 Carlton Street.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 153-158.
Saint James's Presbyterian church, Wood Green, was formed in 1875, when the Presbyterian Church of England took over an iron chapel which had been used for four years by the Church of Scotland. There were about 100 members in 1877, when work started on a church in Green Lanes. The new building, of redbrick dressed with Bath stone, was noted for its grandeur. It seated 400 worshippers, apart from those in the galleries, but was soon extended to take 700; in 1902 it had the fourth largest congregation within the London Presbytery and in 1903 Sunday attendances were 585 and 465. In 1950 members united with Bowes Park Congregational church, whose premises they used as the United Church of Saint James-at-Bowes. The former Presbyterian church afterwards served as a warehouse.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 356-364.
Downs Park Road Church in Lower Clapton was registered by the Presbyterian Church of England in 1872. It was situated at the corner of Cricketfield Road. Attendance in 1886 was 111 in the morning and 60 in the evening. By 1903 attendance was 114 in the morning and 143 in the morning. The church was closed but reopened as Lower Clapton Congregational church in 1936, and was later used by the New Testament Church of God.
Dalston Presbyterian Church was built on Shrubland Road in 1858, and registered by the Presbyterian Church of England in 1863. The building was acquired by the Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1970.
Source: 'Hackney: Protestant Nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10: Hackney (1995), pp. 130-144.
Trinity Presbyterian Church, Canonbury was situated on Church Road (later North Church Road), off Southgate Road. It originated as the Old Scots Church Meeting at Founders' Hall from 1672 and London Wall from 1764. The church moved to Islington in 1857 on the expiry of the London Wall lease. The Church and manse opened in 1858; a lecture hall was added in the 1880s. Numbers declined in the 1890s to almost nothing; although John Kerr Craig's ministry in 1899 to 1910 increased membership again. The church was closed between 1934 and 1942.
From: 'Islington: Protestant nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.
Windsor Presbyterian Church in the county of Berkshire was closed before 1961 as it does not appear in the Presbyterian Church of England handbook of that date.
The Windsor Congregational Church was founded in 1777. It is now the Christ Church United Reformed Church, William Sreet, Windsor.
Saint Columba's Presbyterian Church, Prospect Hill, Walthamstow, originated in 1898 when Presbyterians took over the former Wesleyan Methodist church there. A new church was built on the site in 1906. It was almost destroyed by bombing in 1941, but services continued in improvised premises until it was rebuilt in 1957. It was closed in 1968 and demolished by 1971.
From: 'Walthamstow: Roman Catholicism, Nonconformity and Judaism', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 294-304.
South Kensington Presbyterian Church was founded in 1872, while the Belgrave Presbyterian Church was founded in 1846. In 1922 they merged to form the Emperor's Gate Presbyterian Church. In 1930 the church united with Saint John's Presbyterian Church on Scarsdale Villas which had been founded in 1862.
Swallow Street Meeting House was built by a congregation of French Protestants in 1692. By 1709 the membership had fallen and it was decided to offer the lease of the chapel to a Presbyterian congregation which had been meeting in rooms in Glass House Street, Piccadilly. They took over the building in 1710.
In 1843 some members of the Established Church of Scotland broke away to form the Free Church of Scotland. The Swallow Street congregation were divided over which church they should follow. It was decided to stay with the Established Church, however, two Elders and some congregation left the church to form a Free Church establishment. They began meeting at the Marylebone Literary and Scientific Institution on Edwards Street off Portman Square and applied to be recognised by the Presbyterian Church of England. The Church subsequently moved to Upper George Street, Bryanstone Square.
Park Presbyterian Church, Grosvenor Road, Highbury, was built after the Scotch congregation at Myddelton Hall, Upper Street, increased. It was one of three United Presbyterian churches in London founded with the aid of John Henderson of Renfrewshire. Later the church was part of the Presbyterian Church of England which was formed in 1876. As the district had no poor, the church supported City missions in Hoxton. The church closed in around 1950.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.
Upper Street Presbyterian Church was situated at 107 Upper Street, Islington. It is possibly the same 'Scotch' congregation which worshipped at Myddelton Hall, Upper Street. Park Presbyterian Church, Grosvenor Road, Highbury was built after the Myddelton Hall congregation became too large. A note on the Upper Street Church registers states that the church moved to Dalston in 1853. It is possible this is the same Dalston Presbyterian Church which was built on Shrubland Road in 1858, and registered by the Presbyterian Church of England in 1863.
Islington Presbyterian Church was situated on River Terrace (which was later renamed Colebrooke Row). It was also known as the Scotch church. It was built in 1834 to replace a chapel in Chadwell Street, Clerkenwell, and was a member of the Presbyterian Synod of England in connexion with the Church of Scotland. It later became identified with the Free Church of Scotland, formed in 1843; and then later was part of the Presbyterian Church of England, formed in 1876. By the 1920s services were held in Saint Peter's school owing to the dilapidated condition of the church, in 1923 the members disbanded and the buildings were sold.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.
Highfields Presbyterian Church was founded by James Richard Haig of Highfields Park in memory of his wife Jane Haig. It was built in 1875 and served the villages of Blackham and Withyham, Sussex. The chapel joined the Presbytery of London South in 1895.
Trinity Presbyterian Church was situated in the village of Cowden, near the Kent / Sussex border. It was a preaching station belonging to the Presbytery of London South and shared staff with the nearby Highfields Presbyterian Church, Blackham, Sussex.
Trinity Presbyterian Church was founded and built in 1895. It was situated on Freelands Road, Bromley. In 1936 the church was destroyed after a lightning strike and had to be rebuilt. It is now Trinity United Reformed Church, still situated on Freelands Road.
Presbyterian meetings first took place in Chatham in 1672. Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1854 on Star Hill. It moved to premises on New Road Avenue in 1862. In 1904 a new church was constructed. The church is now Saint Andrew's United Reformed Church, following the merger of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches in 1972.
Christ Church Presbyterian Church, Dulwich is now part of the Christ Church United Reformed Church and Methodist Church, Barry Road, Dulwich.
No historical information has been located for this Chapel.
Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1868. In 1963 it united with the Kings Farm Congregational Church and was renamed Saint Paul's United Reformed Church on Singlewell Road, Gravesend.
Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1900. The church was built in 1902 on Shaw's Corner, Redhill. In 1972 when the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged Saint Paul's became a United Reformed Church.
Southwark had a long history as a centre for non-conformity. In 1672 five independent and Presbyterian chapels were located in Southwark, as well as Quaker and Anabaptist meeting-houses.
The Presbyterian chapel on Prospect Place appears to have closed or merged with another church. By 1893 there is no mention of the church in 'The Southwark Annual', which lists only two Presbyterian chapels in Southwark: that on Borough Road and Southwark Park Road, Bermondsey.
Trinity Presbyterian Church was founded in 1875. The church was built in 1877 situated on Pendennis Road, Streatham. In 1972, when the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged, it became the Trinity United Reformed Church.
Aldershot Presbyterian Church was founded in 1862. The church was built by 1864, situated on Victoria Road. The church belonged to the Presbytery of London South. In 1972 the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged and the church became Aldershot United Reformed Church.
New Road Presbyterian Church, Woolwich, was founded in 1662. Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1861, situated on Anglesea Hill. The two churches united in 1924. In 1972 when the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged the church became Saint Andrew's United Reformed Church.
Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was situated on Southwark Park Road, Bermondsey. It began in 1873 as a preaching station. A hall was built in 1888 and a church in 1900, but it was closed by 1971.
Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1894. The church was built in 1896, situated on Battersea Rise, Clapham. In 1976 the Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged and the church was renamed Saint Andrew's United Reformed Church.
Camberwell Presbyterian Church was located in Church Street, Camberwell. Construction of the church was begun in the 1860s. The church closed after 1936; it is not listed in the 1971 Handbook of the Presbyterian Church of England.
Guildford Presbyterian Church was closed on 7 October 1956. It is possible that it is now part of the Guildford United Reformed Church.
Saint Cuthbert's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1894. The church was built in 1901 in Thurlow Park Road, West Norwood. In 1972, on the merger of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches, it became a United Reformed Church.
Richmond Presbyterian Church was founded in 1876 as a preaching station. The church was built in 1885, situated on Little Green, Richmond. In 1972, when the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged, it became Richmond Green United Reformed Church, now situated on Quadrant Road.
Saint John's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1870. The church was built in 1884 on Devonshire Road, Forest Hill. It came under the Presbytery of London South. Following the merger of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches in 1972 it became Saint John's United Reformed Church and is still situated on Devonshire Road.
Christ Church Presbyterian Church, Wallington, was founded in 1880. The church was constructed in 1887 on Woodcote Road. Following the merger of the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches in 1972 it became Christ Church United Reformed Church and is now situated on Stanley Park Road.
A Presbyterian congregation first existed in the Kingston and Surbiton area in 1662, however, membership declined. The congregation was revived in 1873 and a new church was built in 1884 in Grove Crescent, Kingston upon Thames. In 1972 the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged and the church became Kingston and Surbiton United Reformed Church. The church is now situated on Eden Street.
Lambeth Presbyterian Church was situated on Kennington Road. It appears to have closed by the 1960s.
There was a Verulam Episcopal Chapel on Walcot Place.
Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church, Croydon, was founded in 1900. The church hall was constructed in 1901 and the church building completed in 1905 on Croham Road, South Croydon. When the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged in 1972 the church became Saint Paul's United Reformed Church.
Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church, Croydon, was founded in 1900. The church hall was constructed in 1901 and the church building completed in 1905 on Croham Road, South Croydon. When the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged in 1972 the church became Saint Paul's United Reformed Church.
A Presbyterian Mission Church was established on Johnson Road, West Croydon, by Saint Paul's Presbyterian Church and Saint George's Presbyterian Church. It was formally recognised as a mission by the Presbytery of London South in March 1912 and was placed under the oversight of Saint Paul's. The Mission was initally known as the "Presbyterian Church of England Johnson Road Mission" but by the 1940s was being referred to as "Saint Paul's Presbyterian Mission Church, Johnson Road". When the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged in 1972 the Mission became Saint George's United Reformed Church. It subsequently appears to have closed or merged with another church.
Saint George's Presbyterian Church, Croydon, began as a temporary iron church situated on Oakfield Road. By 1865 a permanent church had been constructed. However, membership numbers dropped and the church was closed by 1940. It was used as a food store by the Oxo company during the war and was subsequently converted into a Masonic Lodge.
In 1805 part of Ranelagh House, Chelsea, was hired out by a group of Christians concerned about the 'godlessness' of the local area. They began teaching a Sunday School and, after this proved a success, began adult services with visiting preachers of various denominations. In 1814 the congregation gained a permanent minister who was a Calvinistic Methodist.
In 1818 expanding membership made it necessary to move and a chapel was built on Lower George Street, called the Ranelagh Chapel. In 1845, on the death of the Methodist minister, the church joined the English Presbyterian Church and was renamed Ranelagh Presbyterian Church. The lease on the Lower George Street chapel expired in 1866 and the church merged with a Presbyterian Mission in West Halkin Street, Belgrave Square. The name Belgrave Presbyterian Church was adopted. The church was rebuilt in 1881. In 1923 the church moved to premises in Emperor's Gate, Kensington.
Saint Mary's Presbyterian Church, Woolston, Southampton, was founded in 1874. The church was built in 1876 on Portsmouth Road. It belonged to the Presbytery of the South Coast. In 1971 the church was sharing worship with the local Congregational church although it does not seem to have joined the United Reformed Church.
Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Lewes, Sussex, began as a preaching station in around 1860. A permanent minister was found in 1864 and the church was formally constituted. It was situated on Prince Edward Road.
Warrior Square Presbyterian Church first held services in a hired assembly hall in January 1880. In 1882 a permanent minister was found and by 1883 a church and Sunday School had been constructed on Warrior Square, Saint Leonards on Sea. In 1923 it was decided to change the name of the church to Saint Columba's Presbyterian Church.
Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was founded and built in 1878. It was situated on Blackwater Road, Eastbourne. In 1972 when the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged it became Saint Andrew's United Reformed Church.
The first Presbyterian worship in Maidstone took place in 1672. The Christ's Church Presbyterian Church was situated on Brewer Street and flourished between 1873 and 1881. It is possible that it subsequently closed because in 1947 a meeting was held of people interested in founding a Presbyterian congregation in Maidstone which is described as lacking a church of this denomination. Meetings were held in classrooms at Elms School, London Road and the congregation was placed under the session of Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church, Chatham, as a preaching station. A Sunday School and other societies were founded. Attempts were made to purchase land on which to construct a church, however, it was decided that the congregation was too small to support a full time preacher and in 1951 the meetings were ended.
Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church was founded in 1894, situated on Park Hill, Kemp Town, Brighton. In 1943 it was taken over by the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches.
Brighton Presbyterian Church was founded in 1825. The church was built in 1845 on Queen's Road. It was part of the Presbytery of the South Coast. In 1972, when the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged, it joined the United Reformed Church as part of Brighton Free Church.
Holybourne Presbyterian Church was situated in the village of Holybourne, north east of the town of Alton in the county of Hampshire. It was founded by a Major Gibson as a mission chapel but by 1878 was being rented by the Presbyterian Church.
Alexander Fletcher was born in 1787 in Perthshire and became a minister in the United Presbyterian Church in 1806. He moved to London in 1811 and was soon established as a popular preacher at the Albion Chapel, London Wall. However, in 1824 he was prosecuted in the civil courts for breach of promise. Although no verdict was reached the United Associate Synod suspended Fletcher from office. He therefore established his own chapel on Grub Street, joined by the majority of his Albion Chapel congregation. The chapel susbequently moved to a large building in Finsbury Circus - at the time, the largest chapel in London. Fletcher remained at the Finsbury Chapel for 35 years. He was reconciled with the United Presbyterian Church in 1849. He died in 1860.