Mostrando 15888 resultados

Registro de autoridad

Born, 1918; educated at Roedean school and studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at St Anne's College, Oxford; left early to study nursing at St Thomas' Hospital Medical School, Nightingale School of Nursing, from 1941 and qualified as a State Registered Nurse, 1944; returned to Oxford and was awarded a War degree; qualified as a lady almoner (medical social worker), 1947; meeting with dying Polish cancer patient, David Tasma, helped convince her of the need for more advanced palliative care in modern medicine and the experience also had a profound personal effect, heping to set her on a new career path, including retraining as a doctor to help the terminally and chronically ill; began voluntary work at St Luke's Hospital for the dying in Bayswater, London; qualified as a doctor after training at St Thomas' Hospital, 1951-1957; appointed a research fellow studying pain management at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, at St Joseph's Sisters of Charity in their home for the dying in Hackney, 1958-1965, she continued her research to improve the control of pain in terminally ill patients - the topic of her research fellowship. She accumulated over 1000 case records there, and a large collection of colour slide photos that she used to great effect in her lectures; established St Christopher's Hospice, Sydenham, 1967, which set the standard for modern hospices across the world and combined pain management with a holistic appreciation of the importance of the spiritual well-being of the patient in the treatment of the dying; Medical Director of the Hospice, 1967-1985, and President from 2000; recipient of numerous honorary awards, fellowships and honours including fellowships of the Royal College of Physicians, Royal College of Surgeons and Royal College of Nursing, award of the Order of Merit, 1989, and numerous honorary degrees; died, 2005.
Publications: notably including Care of the dying (1960); Living with dying (1983); Beyond the horizon (1990); ed The management of terminal disease (1978).

West , George , 1909-1987 , lecturer

Sidney George West was born 28th March 1909; educated at Norbury College; took matriculation examination for King's College London, 1923; educated at King's College London, 1926-1932, notably studied Intermediate BA, Latin, Greek, English and Ancient History 1926-1927; second and third year English and Latin 1928-1929; MA in English, 1930-1932; achieved George Smith Studentship 1929, First Class Honours English and University Postgraduate Travelling Studentship 1930.

West worked as a part time assistant lecturer in the Department of English, King's College London, 1932-1933; lectured in English at the University of Coimbra, Portugal, 1934; lectured and became Head of Department of Portuguese, King's College London, 1936-1941; Director of the British Institute of Studies, Lisbon, 1941; Director, Students' Department, British Council, 1952. Awarded an OBE (Civil Division) in 1937. Died 1987.

Publications: The new corporative state of Portugal: an inaugural lecture delivered at King's College, London, the 15th February, 1937 (Lisbon, S P N Books, 1937); The new corporative state of Portugal: an inaugural lecture delivered at King's College, London, the 15th February, 1937 (London, New Temple Press, 1937); A projecçào de 'Os Lusíadas' através das traduçòes inglesas / (confer. Tr. de C. Estorninho. Separata da revista Bracara Augusta) (Braga, 1973).

Born [1770]; son of David Leathes of Middlesex; entered the Middle Temple, 1787; elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, 1793; worked as a clerk in the cheque office of the Bank of England, 1799-1838; subscriber to King's College London, 1832; established book prize for medical students at King's College London, 1833-1834; donation of papers to King's College on condition that he be permitted to reside in College, 1837; died, 1838.

Alice Christiana Gertrude Meynell was born in Barnes, Surrey in October 1847; Alice and her sister, Elizabeth Thompson, later Elizabeth Southerden Butler, Lady Butler (1846-1933) were educated by their father, Thomas James Thompson ([1809]-1881); Alice took instruction and was received into the Roman Catholic church, St George's, Worcester, 1868.

Meynell's first published work was Preludes, 1875 which received much praise, notably from Alfred Tennyson, Coventry Patmore, Aubrey de Vere, and John Ruskin. Meynell married Wilfrid John Meynell (1852-1948) on 16 April 1877. Once married both worked as journalists, editing the Weekly Register and Merry England, 1883 to 1895; Alice regularly wrote literary criticisms for Spectator, The Tablet, the Saturday Review, The World, and the Scots Observer.

Meynell's first volume of essays, The Rhythm of Life, published in 1893, consisted mainly of work reprinted from periodicals. At this time Meynell also wrote a weekly column in the Pall Mall Gazette, 1893. Whilst working as a journalist and during early motherhood Meynell ceased to write poetry, however later she returned to poetry, being mentioned as a possible candidate for Poet Laureate in 1895. From this time until her death she wrote some of her finest work, including poetry about World War One. Meynell was a supporter of the suffrage movement and women's rights, which was reflected in her later work. Meynell died 27 November 1922.

Fereday , Edmund James , b 1959

Born 31 January 1959; student, Mathematics and Physics, Edinburgh University, 1976-1978; BA honours History, King's College London, 1983; part-time research student, Department of War Studies, King's College London, 1984-1989.

Charles Frederick Terence East (known as Terence); son of Charles Harry East; born, 1894; appointed as Junior Physician, Senior Medical Tutor and Lecturer in Morbid Anatomy at King's College Hospital, 1924; Physician to King's College Hospital, 1931; Senior Physician and Director of Medical Studies in King's College Medical School, 1945-1959; retired 1959; died, 1968.

Charles Harry East, father of Charles Frederick Terence East; born 1861; educated at King's College London, 1880-1884; Medical Tutor and Registrar, House Surgeon, House Physician and Ophthalmology clinic assistant, King's College Hospital; Assistant Demonstrator of Anatomy, King's College London.

Margaret Mary White, born on 7 June 1914; attended St George's College for Civil Service and Secretarial Training, formerly the Civil Service Department of King's College, London; passed the Civil Service Examinations for Female Telegraphists, 1929; Civil Service Examinations for Sorting Assistants, 1929 and Civil Service Examinations for Writing Assistants, 1930; worked as a telegraphist in the General Post Office from 1930; retired from her career in 1937 after marrying Frank Arthur Smith; died on 29 January 1979.

Born, 1904; Reader in Classics, Birckbeck College, 1934-1948; Professor of Classics, Westfield College, 1948; Professor of Greek Language and Literature, King's College London, 1953-1971; Director of Institute of Classical Studies, University of London, 1964-1967; President of the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies, 1959-1962; Chairman of the Board of Studies in Classics; President of the London Classical Society; honorary doctorate, University of Glasgow; died 1993.

Publications: Mode in Ancient Greek Music (1936).
Euripides and Dionysus (1948).
Studies in Aeschylus (Cambridge University Press, 1983).

John Francis Lavery was born in 1935, he originally enrolled at King's College, University of London in 1968 but did not complete his course. He re-enrolled in 1983 where he studied for a PhD in Classics on the subject of Greek tragedies, under the supervision of Prof Reginald Winnington-Ingram. He died in 2004.

Baron Abinger, of Abinger in the County of Surrey and of the City of Norwich, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created on 12 Jan 1835 for the prominent lawyer and politician Sir James Scarlett, the Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer.

Frances Mary Scarlett: Born 1828, daughter of Robert Campbell Scarlett, 2nd Lord Abinger; married Rev Sydney Lidderdale Smith, 1857; died 1920.

Robert Astley Scarlett was the son of Frances Mary Scarlett, born 1865, died 1955.

John Plomer inherited the Clarke estates from his great uncle, Richard Clarke, and added the surname to his own in 1774. John Plomer Clarke his son (d.1826) was High Sheriff in 1814 and commanded the West Northants Militia.

Born, 1926; read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at St Edmund Hall, Oxford, -1949; took the Oxford BPhil degree; Lecturer then Senior Lecturer in Philosophy, University College, Swansea, 1951-1964; Reader in Philosophy, Birkbeck College, London, 1964-1976; Professor of Philosophy, King's College London, 1976-1984; Professor of Philosophy, University of Illinois at Urbana, 1984-1997; died, 1997.

Publications: The Idea of a Social Science and its Relation to Philosophy (1958)
Ethics and Action (1975)
Trying to Make Sense (1987)

William James Entwistle was born on 7 December 1895 at Cheng Yang Kuan; educated by his father and at the China Inland Mission's school at Chefoo (Yantai), until 1910; attended Robert Gordon's College, Aberdeen for a year; entered the University of Aberdeen with a bursary, obtaining a first class in classics, with distinctions in Greek history and comparative philology, 1916; joined the Royal Field Artillery, transferring to the Scottish Rifles and was seriously wounded in 1917.

Entwistle was awarded the Fullerton classical scholarship at Aberdeen, 1918; spent 1920 in Madrid, after receiving a Carnegie grant; married Jeanie Drysdale, 1921; became lecturer in charge of Spanish at Manchester, 1921.

Entwistle wrote his first book, The Arthurian Legend in the Literatures of the Spanish Peninsula, 1925; became first Stevenson Professor of Spanish at Glasgow, 1925; became King Alfonso XIII Professor of Spanish studies at Oxford, 1932; awarded a fellowship at Exeter College, 1932. Whilst at Oxford Entwistle wrote over sixty articles, including work concerning Spanish, Portuguese, and South American literary, linguistic, and historical themes; his first major work at Oxford was The Spanish Language, 1936, a descriptive account of the languages of the Iberian peninsula.

Entwistle worked a draft of the Chronicle of John I of Portugal, by Fernão Lopes (1380-1459). Fernão Lopes was a Portuguese chronicler, appointed by King Edward I of Portugal to write the history of Portugal, including Crónica de el-rei D. João I (Chronicle of King John I), first and second part.

Enwistle was joint editor of the Modern Language Review, 1934-1948, general editor of the Year's Work in Modern Language Studies, 1931-1937 and of the Great Languages Series, 1940-1952 and general editor of the linguistic contributions to the new edition of Chambers's Encyclopaedia; was educational director of the British Council, 1942-1943; made honorary LLD of Aberdeen, 1940, Glasgow, 1951 and LittD of Coimbra and Pennsylvania and was president of the Modern Humanities Research Association, 1952. Entwistle died in St Edmund Hall, Oxford, on 13 June 1952.

Publications notably include: The Arthurian legend in the literatures of the Spanish Peninsula (London, Toronto, Dent, New York, Dutton, 1925), The Spanish language: together with Portuguese, Catalan and Basque (Faber & Faber, London 1936), European balladry (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1939), Cervantes, the exemplary novelist (Hispanic Review, 1941),) Russian and the Slavonic languages by W. J. Entwistle & W. A. Morison (Faber & Faber, London, 1949) and Aspects of language (Faber and Faber,London, 1953).

Thornton , Charles James , b 1865

Born 2 November 1865; student, Department of Engineering and Applied Sciences, King's College London; received distinction, 1885; honorary member of the Engineering Society of King's College London, 1885.

Born 1914; educated Furnstin Bismarck School, Berlin, Germany, and Bedford College, Cambridge, 1935-1939; postgraduate student, 1939-1941, and Amy Lady Tate postgraduate student, 1941-1943, Bedford College, Cambridge; Supervisor, Newnham College, Cambridge, 1942-1945; part-time Assistant Lecturer, Queen Mary's College, Cambridge, 1942-1946; Assistant Lecturer, 1946-1949, and Lecturer, 1949-1951, University College London; part-time teaching at King's College London, 1954-1957; Lecturer, 1957-1965, and Reader, 1965-1975, at King's College London; Professor of German at King's College London, 1975-1979.

Publications: Goethe: portrait of the artist (Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, 1977); Goethe: schauen und glauben (Walter de Gruyter, Berlin and New York, 1988); Heinrich von Kleist. Word into flesh: a poet's quest for the symbol (Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, 1977); Goethe and Lessing: the wellsprings of creation (Paul Elek, London, 1973); Schiller: a master of the tragic form. His theory in his practice (Duquesne University Press, Pittsburgh, [1975]; Schiller's drama: talent and integrity, (Methuen, London, 1974).

Born 1904; educated Magdalen College School, Oxford, and University College, Swansea; Assistant Lecturer in Chemistry, University of Manchester, 1928-1930; Lecturer in Chemistry, University of Manchester, 1930-1938; Lecturer in Chemistry, Imperial College, London, 1939-1941; Director of British Schering Research Institute, 1941-1945; Professor of Chemistry, King's College London, 1945-1949; Daniell Professor of Chemistry, University of London, 1949-1971; Vice President, Chemical Society, 1951-1954; Reilly Lecturer, University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA, 1952; Scientific Advisor for Civil Defence, South East Region, 1952-1958; Assistant Principal, King's College London, 1962-1968; President, Section B, British Association for the Advancement of Science, 1965; Visiting Professor, University of Florida, USA, 1967; Fellow of King's College and Imperial College, London, 1968; member of King's College Council, 1955-1978; retired [1971]; died 1987.

Publications: joint editor of Dictionary of organic compounds (Eyre and Spottiswoode, London, 1965); editor of Kingzett's chemical encyclopedia (Bailliere, Tindall and Cassell, London, 1966); Lecture on some recent advances in chemistry in relation to medicine (London, 1944); contributor to The Royal Society of Chemistry: the first 150 years by David Hardy Whiffen (The Royal Society of Chemistry, 1991).

Williamson , Frederick , fl 1882-1884

Student in the Department of General Literature and Science, King's College London, 1882-1884; awarded a certificate of Approval in Classical Literature and Latin Prose, Jul 1983; awarded a Certificate of Approval in Modern History, Mathematics and French Language and Literature, Jul 1884.

Born 1922; educated Newtown School, Waterford, and Trinity College, Dublin; Demonstrator in Civil Engineering, Trinity College, Dublin; Assistant Engineer with K.D.C Group on Phoenix Caissons for Mulberry Harbour, 1943-1944; Factory Engineer, Messrs Johnson Brothers, Ireland, 1944; Junior Science Officer, Soil Mechanics Division, Road Research Laboratory, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, 1944-1946; Lecturer, 1946-1951, Reader, 1951-1961 and Professor of Civil Engineering, 1961-1981, King's College London; Head of Civil Engineering Department, King's College London, 1971-[1981]; Assistant Principal, King's College London, 1973-1977; Consultant to Nigerian Government on engineering education in Nigeria, 1963; Soil Mechanics Consultant on Kainji Dam, Nigeria, and various earth and rock-fill dams in Nigeria, Jordan, Israel, Cyprus, Portugal, Greece, Sudan, Britain and Ireland, 1961-1969; expert witness for National Coal Board at Aberfan Tribunal, 1966-1967, and for British Petroleum (BP) at the Sea Gem Enquiry, 1967; Consultant for foundations of London Bridge and Humber Bridge; Chairman, British Geotechnical Society, 1959-1961; Member of the Council, Institution of Civil Engineers, 1959-1968; Secretary-General, International Society for Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, 1967-1981; Chairman, Editorial Panel of Geotechnique, 1960-1966; Fellow of King's College London, 1972; Governor, Leighton Park School, Reading, 1974; died 1981.

Publications: Civil engineering (Robert Hale, London, 1957); The elements of soil mechanics in theory and practice (Constable and Co, London, 1951).

Born 1903; educated Queen's University, Canada; Queen's University Travelling Fellowship at Harvard University, USA, 1926-1927; Sir George Parkin Scholarship at Trinity College, Cambridge University, 1927-1929; Rockefeller Fellowship, Berlin University and Freiburg-im-Breisgau University, Germany, 1929-1930; Instructor in History and Tutor, Harvard University, 1930-1936; successively Assistant, Associate and Professor of History, Queen's University, Canada, 1936-1946; Guggenheim Fellowship to the USA, 1941; Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve, 1942-1945; Lecturer and Reader in History, Birkbeck College, University of London, 1946-1948; Rhodes Professor of Imperial History, King's College London, 1949-1970; Member of Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, USA, 1952; Kemper Knapp Visiting Professor, University of Winsconsin, USA, 1961, and University of Hong Kong, 1966; Visiting Professor of Strategic Studies, University of Western Ontario, 1970-1972; Visiting Montague Burton Professor of International Relations, University of Edinburgh, 1974; Fellow of King's College London, 1981; died 1988.

Publications: A concise history of Canada (Thames and Hudson, London, [1968]); A concise history of the British Empire (Thames and Hudson, London, 1970); Britain and Canada (London, 1943); British policy and Canada, 1774-1791 (Longmans and Co, London, 1930); Canada: a short history (Hutchinson's University Library, London, 1950); Empire of the North Atlantic: the maritime struggle for North America (University of Toronto Press, Toronto, 1950); Great Britain in the Indian Ocean: a study of maritime enterprise 1810-1850 (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1967); Imperial finance, trade and communications 1895-1914; In defence of the ivory tower (New Brunswick, 1967); Le development de l'Union Britannique (1958); Peculiar interlude: the expansion of England in a period of peace, 1815-1850 (University of Sydney, Sydney, 1959); Sea power and British North America, 1783-1820 (Harvard University Press, Cambridge, 1941); The politics of naval supremacy: studies in British maritime ascendancy (University Press, Cambridge, 1965); editor of The Walker Expedition to Quebec, 1711 (Toronto and London, 1953); Tide of Empire: discursions on the expansion of Britain overseas (McGill-Queen's University Press, Montreal and London, 1972); editor of West African History series (Oxford University Press, London, 1958-); editor of The Navy and South America, 1807-1823 (London, 1962); The China Station: war and diplomacy 1830-1860 (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1978); The Royal Navy in the War of American Independence (HMSO, London, 1976).

James Clerk Maxwell Foundation

The James Clerk Maxwell Foundation was launched in 1977 to promote research and education in science and technology. In 1992 the Foundation bought the birthplace of James Clerk Maxwell in Edinburgh, sharing the cost with ICMS (International Centre for Mathematical Sciences), formed by a consortium of Scottish Universities.

Born, 12 July 1906; Educated at Haberdashers' Aske's School; King's College London, BSc (Geography), 1927, MSc, 1930; DSc 1945; Demonstrator in Geography and Geology, University of London, 1927-1929; Lecturer in Geography, University of Edinburgh, 1929-1945; served in the RAF (Photographic Intelligence), 1940-1945; Professor of Geography, University of Sheffield, 1945-1958; DSc, 1955; Professor of Geography, University of Birmingham, from 1958; William Evans Visiting Professor, University of Otago, 1959; Honorary Editor of Geography, the Quarterly Journal of the Geographical Association, 1945-1965; President of the Institute of British Geographers, 1962, and of the Geographical Association, 1964; Fellow of King's College London (FKC), 1971; received the Murchison Award, Royal Geographical Society, 1943; died 11 April 1971.

Publications: Structure, Surface and Drainage in South-East England with Sidney William Wooldridge (London, 1939); Peeblesshire and Selkirkshire with Catherine Park Snodgrass, (1946); Discovery, Education and Research (Sheffield, 1948); Structure, Surface and Drainage in South-East England with Sidney William Wooldridge (George Philip & Son, London Geographical Institute, London, 1955); editor of Sheffield and its Region. A scientific and historical survey (Local Executive Committee, Sheffield, 1956).

Born, 17 December 1817, Ipswich; Demonstrator of Chemistry, King's College London, 1840; MB and MD, University of London, 1841-2; Professor of Chemistry at King's College London, 1845; Fellow, Royal Society, 1845; died, 30 September 1870.

Publications: Elements of Chemistry, theoretical and practical (London, 1855-1857); Introduction to the study of inorganic chemistry (1871); editor of Elements of meteorology (John W. Parker, London, 1845); On the importance of chemistry to medicine (London, 1845); Practical hints to the medical student (London, 1867).

Born 1933; student of English at King's College London; Poetry Editor, Transatlantic Review, 1965-1973; director and writer of cinema films including You're human like the rest of them, 1967 (Grand Prix, Tours, 1968; Grand Prix, Melbourne, 1968), Up yours too, Guillaume Apollinaire!, 1968, and Paradigm, 1969; director and writer of nine television documentaries; theatre director, including Backwards and The ramp at the Mermaid Theatre, London, 1970; playwright, including Entry on BBC radio, 1965, BSJ v God at the Basement Theatre, Soho, London, 1971, and Not counting the savages on BBC TV, 1971; Chairman Greater London Arts Association Literature Panel, 1973; died 1973.

Publications: editor of London consequences (Greater London Arts Association for the Festivals of London, London, 1972) with Margaret Drabble; Albert Angelo (Constable, London, 1964); editor of All bull: the National Servicemen (Quartet Books, London, 1973); Aren't you rather young to be writing your memoirs? (Hutchinson, London, 1973); Christie Malry's own double entry (Collins, London, 1973); Everybody knows somebody who's dead (Covent Garden Press, London, 1973); House Mother normal: a geriatric comedy (Collins, London, 1971); Poems (Constable, London, 1964); Poems two (Trigram Press, London, 1972); Statement against corpses (Constable, London, 1964) with Zulfikar Ghose; text of Street children (Hodder and Stoughton, London, 1964) with photographs by Julia Trevelyan Oman; The evacuees (Victor Gollancz, London, 1968); The unfortunates (Panther, London, 1969); Travelling people (Constable, London, 1964); See the old lady decently (Hutchinson, London, 1975); Trawl (Secker and Warburg, London, 1966); Gavin Ewart, Zulfikar Ghose, B. S. Johnson: Penguin Modern Poets No. 25 (Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, 1975).

Born 1854; educated Balliol College, Oxford; a private income alleviated the need for Round to follow any definite profession, and he spent the majority of his time undertaking historical research and writing related articles, and corresponding with other historians, despite lifelong ill-health; Honorary Historical Adviser to the Crown in Peerage Cases, 1914-1922; President of the Essex Archaeological Society, 1916-1921; Vice-President of the English Place-Name Society; died 1928.

Publications: The history and antiquities of Colchester Castle (Benham and Co, Colchester, 1882); editor of Register of the scholars admitted to Colchester School, 1637-1740 (Colchester, 1897) from the transcript by the Reverend C L Acland; introduction to The Great Roll of the Pipe for the twenty-seventh year of the reign of King Henry the Second (London, 1909); editor of Calandar of documents preserved in France, illustrative of the history of Great Britain and Ireland (HMSO, London, 1899-); The manuscripts of His Grace the Duke of Rutland, Vol 4 (London, 1888-1905); The manuscripts of James Round Esq, M.P., of Birch Hall, Essex; editor of Ancient charters, royal and private, prior to A.D. 1200. Part I (London, 1888); Danegeld and the finance of Domesday (1888); Feudal England: Historical studies on the Xith and XIIth centuries (Swan Sonnenschein and Co, London, 1895); Geoffrey de Mandeville: a study of the Anarchy (Longmans and Co, London, 1892); La bataille de Hastings (Paris, 1897); Notes on Domesday measures of land (1888); Notes on the systematic study of our English place-names (Harrison and Sons, London, [1900]); Peerage and pedigree: studies in peerage law and family history (James Nisbet and Co, London, 1910); St Helen's Chapel, Colchester (Private, London, 1887); Studies in peerage and family history (Constable, London, 1901); Studies on the Red Book of the Exchequer (Private, London, 1898); The chronology of Herny II's charters; The Commune of London and other studies (Constable and Co, Westminster, 1899); The early life of Anne Boleyn (E. Stock and Co, London, 1886); The introduction of knight-service into England. With a note on the Oxford Council of 1197 (Private, London, 1891); The King's Sergeants and Officers of State, with their Coronation services (James Nisbet and Co and St Catherine's Press, London, 1911); contributor to the Encyclopedia Britannica, the Dictionary of National Biography, the Genealogist, the Ancestor, the Essex Archaeological Society's Transactions and the Sussex Archaeological Society's Collections.

Born 17 May 1907; BSc General, Chemistry, Botany and Physiology, King's College London, 1926-1929; member of King's College London Women's Boating Club; undertook research work on possible uses of seaweed, 1940-1945; after the war helped build up the research department of the Central Middlesex Hospital with Sir Francis Avery Jones, Physician at the Gastroenterological Department at the Hospital, and established a library of medical papers, supported by grants from the Medical Research Council; Librarian of the Gastroenterology Unit at the Hospital; retired 1972; died 1987.

Born 1865; educated Manchester Grammar School and Owens College, Manchester; Assistant in the Zoological Department, British Museum (Natural History), London, 1886-1887; Demonstrator and Assistant Lecturer in Biology, University of Melbourne, Australia, 1888-1894; Professor of Biology, Canterbury College, University of New Zealand, 1894-1903; Professor of Zoology, South African College, Cape Town, South Africa, 1903-1905; Chair of Zoology, King's College London, 1905-1925; member of the Royal Society's Committee for the Investigation of Grain Pests, 1917-1919; died 1925.

Publications: A monograph of the Victorian sponges (Melbourne, 1891); editor of Animal life and human progress (Constable and Co, London, 1919); Outlines of evolutionary biology (Constable and Co, London, 1912); Porifera. Part I. Non-Antartic sponges (London, 1924); editor Problems of modern science (George G Harrap and Co, London, 1922); The Anatomy of an Australian Land Planarian; The biological foundations of society (Constable and Co, London, 1924); An introduction to the study of Botany (Melville, Mullen and Slade, Melbourne and London, 1892).

Born at Glasgow, 1857; Kelly later prefixed his mother's surname, Fitzmaurice, to his own; educated at St Charles's College, Kensington, and learnt some Spanish from a fellow pupil; later taught himself to read Don Quixote; in Spain in 1885, where he acted as tutor to Don Ventura Misa in Jerez de la Frontera and formed friendships with Juan Valera, Gaspar Núñez de Arce, and other leading men of letters; returned to London, 1886; began to make a name for himself as an authority on Spain and as a reviewer for the Spectator, Athenæum, and Pall Mall Gazette; influenced by the critic William Ernest Henley; made his mark on Spanish studies with his life of Cervantes, 1892; corresponding member of the Spanish Academy, 1895; with his History of Spanish literature (1898) came to occupy a position of authority in the subject; delivered a Taylorian lecture at Oxford on Lope de Vega, 1902; member of council and medallist of the Hispanic Society of America, 1904; created knight of the order of Alfonso XII, 1905; elected fellow of the British Academy, 1906; supported himself by writing until chosen by the University of Liverpool as its first Gilmour professor of Spanish language and literature, 1909-1916; member of the Academy of History, Madrid, 1912; member of the Academy of Buenas Letras, Barcelona, 1914; Cervantes Professor of Spanish language and literature, King's College London, 1916-1920; retired from teaching, but continued his literary work, 1920; member of the Academy of Sciences, Lisbon, 1922; died at his house at Sydenham, 1923. Publications: Life of Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1892); History of Spanish Literature (1898, new editions 1913, 1926); with John Ormsby, edited Don Quixote (1898-1899); edited Complete Works of Cervantes (only Galatea, Exemplary Novels, and Don Quixote were published, 1901-1903); Cervantes in England (1905); Chapters on Spanish Literature (1908); 39 articles on Spanish literature and authors in the Encyclopaedia Britannica (11th edition, 1910); Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1913); The Oxford Book of Spanish Verse (1913); Cervantes and Shakespeare (1916); Cambridge Readings in Spanish Literature (1920); summarized Cervantine studies for the Year Book of Modern Languages (1920); selection of his letters published in the Revue Hispanique, lxxiv (1928). All his principal works were translated into Spanish.

David McDowall Hannay, journalist and author, was born in London, 1853; educated at St Peter's College, Westminster; British Vice Consul at Barcelona; journalist, Pall Mall Gazette, Saturday Review, and St James's Gazette; died, 1934. Publications include: Admiral Blake (1886); Rodney (1891); Don Emilio Castelar (1896); Short History of Royal Navy (2 volumes, 1898, 1909); Ships and Men (1910); The Great Chartered Companies (1926).

Born, 1824; educated at a school at his birthplace in Huntly, West Aberdeenshire, Scotland; attended King's College, Aberdeen, 1840-1845; entered theological college at Highbury, London, 1848; minister, congregational chapel, Arundel, Sussex, 1850-1853; relocates to Manchester, 1853; publishes first book of poetry, Within and without (London, 1855); recuperation from disease in Algiers, 1856; living in Hastings, Sussex, 1857-1860; publishes the prose romance, Phantastes, (London, 1858); settles in London and builds social contacts with literary figures such as John Ruskin, Matthew Arnold and Robert Browning, 1859; Professor of English Literature, Bedford College, London, 1859; lectures at King's College London, 1866-1868; lecture tour of United States, 1872; first performance of play, Pilgrim's Progress, 1877; due to ill health spends large part of year at home, Casa Coraggio, Borighera, Italy, 1881-1902; publishes Lilith; died, 1905. Publications: Within and without (London, 1855); Phantastes, (London, 1858); David Elginbrod (London, 1863); Alec Forbes of Howglen (London, 1865); Robert Falconer (London, 1868); At the back of the north wind (London, 1871); The princess and the goblin (London, 1872); Wilfrid Cumbermede (London, 1872); Exotics. A translation of the spiritual songs of Novalis (London, 1876); The princess and Curdie (London, 1882); Lilith (London, 1895).

John Edmund Bowen was born in 1885 in Galway, Ireland, the son of Bartholomew Bowen, and educated at Queen's School, Galway. He entered Trinity College Cambridge in 1911 and attended lectures delivered by Joseph John Thomson, Cavendish Professor of Physics at Cambridge. Bowen was a lecturer in Physics at King's College London from 1919-1921, before taking up a post in China.

Millicent Lucy Coleman born 1910, daughter of John Albert Sidney Coleman and Jane Ketteridge; attended Lady Eleanor Holles' School, Hackney, 1921-1928; student in King's College London Department of History, 1928-1931; Day Training College and University of London Teacher's Diploma, 1932; supply teacher with the London County Council, 1933-1935; Inspector of Factories, 1941-1942; worked in intelligence testing at the National Children's Home, 1935-1942, served on the governing council of the Pestalozzi Village Trust, and as a Vocational Guidance Adviser and psychologist, and in an informal capacity at the NCH during retirement, 1942-[1985]; died, 1990.

Kathleen Mary Coleman, her sister, born 1915, daughter of John Albert Sidney Coleman and Jane Ketteridge; educated at the Lady Eleanor Holles' School, Hackney, 1921-1933; student at King's College of Household and Social Science, 1933-1935; on the Institutional Housekeepers' course, Northern Polytechnic, Holloway, 1935-1937; worked in Day Nursery, Tottenham, 1940-1941; worked as dietary adviser and buyer for the National Children's Home from 1937-[1975]; died, 1996.

The National Children's Home was set up as the Children's Home in Lambeth in 1869 by the Methodist minister, Thomas Stephenson, in order to provide a refuge to young boys. It soon after moved to new premises in Bethnal Green and admitted girls, changing its name to the National Children's Home (NCH) in 1908. The National Children's Home quickly recognised the importance of fostering and adoption and the charity was also at the forefront of the development of child psychology and established its own training programme to train child-care professionals. In recent years a focus on residential care has given way to its support of community projects particularly for the homeless and children with learning difficulties. The charity changed its name to NCH Action for Children in 1994 and NCH in 2001.

The Pestalozzi Village Trust was named in honour of the Swiss philanthropist and educationalist, Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi (1746-1827). His work was aimed particularly at providing poor children with the practical skills necessary to earn a living. Dr Walter Corti rediscovered Pestalozzi's work in response to the problem of the large number of refugee children displaced during the Second World War. He established the first Pestalozzi Children's Village at Trogen in Switzerland to care for orphans and received support from all over Europe and in particular from the United Kingdom, where the second Village and Trust were set up in 1957 based at Sedlescombe in East Sussex. Refugee children were housed there and educated locally and in the Village's own facilities. The Trust is still active and older students, drawn mainly from the developing world, now either take a two-year International Baccalaureate Diploma course at Hastings College of Arts and Technology combining community and practical work, or remain in their countries of origin where their education is sponsored by the Trust. One of its principle aims now is to encourage sustainable development and promote knowledge and understanding of environmental issues.

Musica Reservata is a musical ensemble established in London in 1960 by Michael Morrow, John Beckett and John Sothcott, and of which Michael Morrow became the creative director. The group was set up with the intention of rediscovering and reinterpreting mainly Renaissance and Baroque music, and since its inception has given recitals throughout the world, undertaken broadcasts and given numerous recorded performances. Musica Reservata is still active in popularising medieval and early modern music. Michael Morrow was responsible for a number of important arrangements and has edited works including Dance music of the Middle Ages and Renaissance (London, 1976). He died in 1994.

Owen , Huw Parri , b 1926 , theologian

Born, 1926; educated, Cardiff High School, 1938-1944; Jesus College Oxford, 1944-1949; Professor of New Testament Studies in the Presbyterian Theological College, Aberystwyth, 1953-1961; Lecturer in the New Testament, University College of North Wales, Bangor, 1953-1961; Lecturer in History and Philosophy of Religion, King's College London, 1961-1963; Reader in the Philosophy of Religion at King's, 1963-1970; Professor of Christian Doctrine at King's, 1970-1981. Publications: Revelation and existence. A study in the theology of Rudolf Bultmann (Cardiff, 1957); The moral argument for Christian theism (London, 1965); A Christian knowledge of God (London, 1969); Concepts of deity (London, 1971); W R Matthews: philosopher and theologian (London, 1976); Christian theism. A study in its basic principles (Edinburgh, 1984).

The Faculty of Life Sciences was established in 1987 following the merger in 1985 of King's, Queen Elizabeth and Chelsea Colleges. Previously, its constituent departments had mainly formed part of the Faculty of Natural Science. The College's academic structure was reorganised into Schools in 1989, when the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences came into being. In 1998, this was subdivided into the School of Health and Life Sciences, and the School of Biomedical Sciences.

Formerly the Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering was established in 1992. The main academic departments currently incorporated within the School are: the Centre of Construction Law and Management, Chemistry, Computer Science, Division of Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Centre for Telecommunications Research, Mathematics, Physics and the Management Centre.

King's College London

The founding committee of King's College London first met in 1828 and the College, instituted by Royal Charter in 1829, opened in 1831. Under the King's College London Transfer Act of 1908 the secular departments of the existing King's College London became University of London King's College on 1 January 1910, to be governed by the Senate of the University via a College Delegacy. The theological department was separated from the rest of the College, to be known as King's College London, and continued to be governed by its council. Financial records were usually compiled by the College clerks under the direction of the College Secretary.

University of London, King's College

Following the King's College (Transfer) Act of 1908, and the legal separation of King's into the secular University of London, King's College, and the Theological King's College London in 1909-1910, the original governing Council of King's College London was replaced by a Delegacy. To it reported a number of sub-committees including the important General/Professorial/Academic Board, and the Finance Committee. The Delegacy also authorised a variety of ad hoc committees required to arrange specific events, oversee appointments and lectureships, and organise the academic activity of specific departments or faculties. The reunification of King's in 1980 brought the committees back under the ultimate control of Council.

Between 1831 and 1988 the College Secretary rose from Secretary to the Principal and Council to senior administrative officer of the College. Throughout the period the College Secretary had responsibility for servicing the Council, its main standing and special subcommittees, and the Academic Board. In the 1960s, the post of Academic Registrar was reorganised to reflect the coordinated responsibility for student admission and examinations with the Department. Between 1828-1919 King's College enjoyed the services of just four College Secretaries, two of whom served for remarkably long periods, H W Smith, 1829-1848 and J W Cunningham, 1848-1894. The out-letter books form one complete run of copies of letters sent by or on behalf of the Principal and College Secretary for the period 1834-1917. Initially in the form of manuscript copies, by the late nineteenth century experiments (not always entirely successful in terms of legibility) were made with a variety of wet letter processes.

The Faculty of Science was originally founded in 1893, and evolved into the Division of Natural Science, which became the Faculty of Natural Science in 1923. The faculty was eventually closed in 1985 and its constituent departments and successors now fall mainly under the School of Physical Sciences and Engineering and the School of Life and Health Sciences.

The Office of the Principal supports the academic and administrative work of the College's chief officer. Ronald Montagu Burrows was Principal of King's from 1913 until 1920, following a distinguished career as Professor of Greek at University College, Cardiff (1898-1908) and the University of Manchester (1908-1913).

A School of Biological Sciences was formed at King's in 1964 in order to coordinate the efforts of biology-related departments in both the Faculties of Medicine and Natural Science, namely Biochemistry, Biophysics, Botany, Physiology, and Zoology and Animal Biology. The first Professor of Biology was Emmeline Jean Hanson, appointed in 1966, but a unified Department of Biology only emerged following the tripartite merger of King's, Queen Elizabeth and Chelsea Colleges in 1985. The department was part of the Faculty of Life Sciences, and from 1991, successively part of the Biosphere and Life Sciences Divisions of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences. Following the reorganisation of 1998, aspects of the teaching of biology were divided between the School of Health and Life Sciences and the School of Biomedical Sciences.

Botany has been taught at King's from 1831 and was part of the Department of General Literature and Science, and also the Evening Class Department from 1861. Lessons in Botany and Practical Biology became available for Medical Department students during the 1880s. Botany and Vegetable/Plant Biology was principally part of the Natural Science Division of the Faculty of Science from 1893, though instruction also continued for students of the Medical Division. It was incorporated into the School of Biological Studies, formed in 1964, that also comprised the departments of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Physiology, and Zoology and Animal Biology. This prevailed until the merger in 1985, when Botany/Plant Sciences was absorbed within an enlarged Department of Biology, itself part of the Faculty of Life Sciences, and, from 1989, successively part of the Biosphere and Life Sciences Divisions of the School of Life, Basic Medical and Health Sciences. Since 1998 it has been part of the Division of Life Sciences in the School of Health and Life Sciences.

Evening classes in subjects as diverse as English, History, Divinity, Drawing, French, Mathematics and Chemistry commenced at King's College in 1848. Teaching remained the responsibility of the separate faculties to which classes were appended administratively, until around 1907 when a distinct department emerged covering all evening class education at King's College. The department was discontinued upon the outbreak of war in 1939, although some few classes were transferred to Birkbeck College.

German has been taught at King's since the opening of the Senior Department in 1831, later coming under the Department of General Literature and Science. The Department of German was formerly part of the Faculty of Arts, and, since 1989, the School of Humanities.

Physical geography, imperial geography, and history and geography, were subjects taught in the Department of General Literature and Science and the Evening Studies Department at King's from the 1850s. A chair in geography was established in 1863. The department became part of the Faculty of Arts in 1893, and the subject taught under an intercollegiate arrangement with the London School of Economics from 1922, becoming known as the Joint School of Geography from 1949. The department was part of the School of Humanities from 1989 and in 2001 merged with the Geography Department of the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) and became part of the new School of Social Science and Public Policy.

The first Professor of Mineralogy and Geology at King's College London was Charles Lyell, who resigned in 1833 in response to criticism that his lectures undermined accepted biblical chronology. The subject was taught under the various titles of Geology and Mining, Geology, Palaeontology and Mining, and Geology and Geography, with Mineralogy, in the Departments of Applied Sciences, Evening Classes and the Faculty of Science, Natural Science Division, from 1893. The Department of Geology was part of the Faculty of Natural Science from its inception in 1921 until the merger of King's, Queen Elizabeth and Chelsea Colleges in 1985, when the teaching of geology was discontinued and transferred to Royal Holloway College.