Showing 15888 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving
Unknown

Written in Germany.

Unknown

John Nider (Johannes Nieder): born in Swabia, 1380; entered the Order of Preachers at Colmar; sent to Vienna for philosophical studies; finished his studies and was ordained at Cologne; active at the Council of Constance; returned to Vienna and taught as Master of Theology, 1425; prior of the Dominican convent at Nuremberg, 1427; served successively as socius to his master general and vicar of the reformed convents of the German province, in which capacity he maintained an earlier reputation as a reformer; prior of the convent of strict observance at Basle, 1431; became identified with the Council of Basle as theologian and legate; made embassies to the Hussites at the command of Cardinal Julian; as legate of the Council, succeeded in pacifying the Bohemians; travelled to Ratisbon to effect further reconciliation with them, 1434; proceeded to Vienna to continue reforming the convents; in dicussions following the dissolution of the Couneil of Basle joined the party in favour of continuing the Council in Germany, but abandoned it when the Pope remained firmly opposed; resumed his theological lectures at Vienna, 1436; twice elected dean of the University; author of various treatises, including (in German) the 'Goldene Harfen' (24 Golden Harps), based on the Collations of Cassianus; died at Colmar, 1438.

Unknown

From the charterhouse 'zu Yttingen' (Ittingen, Thurgau, Switzerland).

Unknown

Grágás consituted the legal code of medieval Iceland. It was memorized and proclaimed at annual meetings of the national assembly. From the early 12th century scribes made written records of these older laws. Among these manuscripts of medieval Icelandic laws are two known collectively as Grágás (Grey Goose), a title of uncertain origin.

Unknown

Livorno (in English Leghorn) in Tuscany, central Italy, is a port on the Ligurian Sea. It came under the rule of the Florentine Medici family, and Ferdinand I, grand duke of Tuscany from 1587 to 1609, gave asylum to many refugees, including Jews from Spain and Portugal. Pisa in Tuscany, central Italy, lies on the alluvial plain of the Arno River c6 miles from the Ligurian Sea.

Unknown

Gian Francesco Poggio Bracciolini: born in Terranuova, Tuscany, Italy, 1380; humanist and calligrapher, who rediscovered classical Latin manuscripts in European monastic libraries; died in Florence, 1459. This manuscript may have been written in Germany.

Unknown

Written in Italy.

Unknown

Luis De Molina: born at Cuenca, Spain, 1535; became a Jesuit at the University of Coimbra, Portugal, 1553; studied philosophy and theology at Coimbra, 1554-1562; taught at Coimbra, 1563-1567; taught at Évora, 1568-1583; spent his last years writing; devised the theological system of Molinism, which aimed to show that man's will remains free under the action of divine grace; died at Madrid, 1600.

Unknown

John Peckham: educated at Oxford and Paris; a Franciscan; Archbishop of Canterbury, 1279; a prolific author of treatises on science and theology, including his work 'Perspectiva Communis' (on principles of optics, which was printed at Milan, 1482, and in many later editions) and of poetry; died, 1292. This manuscript was written in England.

The author of the text is presumably Nicolas Perron, a French writer who published various texts on Islamic culture, literature and law, 1825-1870, with the following published posthumously: L'Islamisme: son institution, son influence et son avenir, par le Dr Perron: ouvrage posthume, publié et annoté par son neveu Alfred Clerc (1877); Balance de la loi musulmane; ou, Esprit de la législation islamique et divergences de ses quatre rites jurisprudentiels ... Traduit de l'arabe par le Dr Perron, ed J D Luciani (Alger, 1898); Lettres du Dr Perron du Caire et d'Alexandrie à M Jules Mohl, à Paris, 1838-1854, ed Yacoub Artin (Le Caire, 1911); Maliki Law being a summary from French translations [by Perron, Seignette, & Zeys] of the Mukhtasar of Sidi Khalil, with notes and bibliography by F H Ruxton ... Published by order of Sir F D Lugard ... Governor-General of Nigeria (London, 1916).

Born, 1917; educated, Canford and Medical College of St Bartholomew's Hospital, -1943; House Surgeon, Senior House Surgeon and Chief Assistant to the Orthopaedic Unit, Hill End Hospital (St Bartholomew's Hospital), 1943-1946; Registrar to the Peripheral Nerve Injury Unit, Hill End Hospital, 1946-; demonstrator , Anatomy Department of the London School of Medicine for Women (now the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine), 1946; Visiting Professor at Iowa State University; Reader, Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine; helped set up the Unit of Primatology at Royal Free Hospital; Director of the Primate Biology Program of the US National Museum, Smithsonian Institution; Director of a similar unit at Queen Elizabeth College, University of London; Visiting Professorship of Primate Biology at Birkbeck College, University of London; founder of the Primate Society of Great Britain; died, 1987.

Paget was called to the Bar at the Inner Temple in 1895. He was Secretary to the Patent Law Committee, 1900; Secretary to the University College Transfer Commission, 1905; Assistant Secretary to the Admiralty Board of Invention and Research, 1915-1918; and President of the British Deaf and Dumb Association, 1953. He published many writings on human speech and language.

Peruvian Corporation

On 20 March 1890 the Peruvian Corporation Ltd was registered under the Companies Act, with a Board of Directors of ten members under the Chairmanship of Sir Alfred Dent. G A Ollard, of Smiles and Co Solicitors, was Manager in London, and T E Webb was Secretary, with Clinton Dawkins as the first representative in Peru. The Corporation was founded to cancel the Peruvian external debt and to release the Government of Peru from loans it had taken out through bondholders in 1869, 1870 and 1872, to finance railway construction. On 20 June 1907 the Government made a new contract with the Corporation whereby the Corporation was to construct three railway lines by September 1908. In return, the life of the concession was extended for a further 17 years. After these lines had been built, the Peruvian Corporation practically ceased building additional mileage, and subsequent construction was undertaken almost entirely by the Peruvian Government. By an agreement of 1928 the railways became the absolute property of the Corporation, subject to the surrender by the Corporation of their right to export guano, and the remaining annual payments due from the Government, and to the Corporation's making a payment of £247,000. A new arrangement was prepared in 1955, whereby a company incorporated in Canada as the 'Peruvian Transport Corporation Ltd' would acquire and hold all the outstanding share capital of the Peruvian Corporation Ltd. The Peruvian National Railways (Empresa Nacional de Ferrocarriles del Peru - ENAFER) were formed in September 1972, and taken over by the Government in December of that year.

Max Plowman was born on 1 September 1883 at Northumberland Park, Tottenham, and was educated at various private schools. From 1937 to 1938 he was Secretary of the Peace Pledge Union. He was the Editor of The Adelphi from 1938. Plowman married Dorothy Lloyd Sulman in 1914 and had one son. Plowman died on 3 June 1941. Publications: four books of verse; War and the creative impulse (1919); Introduction to the study of Blake (1927); A subaltern on the Somme (by Mark VII) (1928); and The faith called pacifism (1936).

This British milling company in Chile was in existence from 1913 to 1971. It was at one time a subsidiary of Balfour Williamson & Company, and was later taken over by the Bank of London and South America. The Santa Rosa Milling Company took over some other milling companies during its lifetime. The company went into voluntary liquidation in 1971.

Shakespeare Association

The Shakespeare Association was set up in 1914. One of the founders was Charlotte Carmichael Stopes. The association organised lectures on Shakespeare and drama.

The Society for Promoting Christianity amongst the Jews was founded on 15 February 1809, with only one missionary in London. By its centenary in 1909, the Society had 222 workers in various parts of the world - Europe, Asia, Africa and the United States of America - and many were converts from Judaism. The Society also set up mission schools for Jewish children. The Society produced two monthly publications, Jewish Missionary Intelligence and Jewish Missionary Advocate, and a quarterly publication, Quarterly Notes.

William Townsend was born in Wandsworth and educated at Simon Langton School in Canterbury. From 1926 to 1930 he attended the Slade School of Fine Art. He lived in Canterbury and later Bridge from 1925 to 1946. From 1946 to 1949 he taught part-time at the Camberwell School of Art and then joined the staff of the Slade School in 1949. He was Professor of Fine Art at University College London from 1968 to 1973. He visited Canada many times during his life on art tours. In 1970 he was editor and part author of Canadian Painting Today, published in London and New York. He held many exhibitions in London and Canada and had work included in many galleries.

University College London was formally founded as the University of London on 11 February 1826. It was the first university to be established in London, and the first in England to allow secular admission. Despite efforts by founding members, it did not initially receive a Royal Charter, so was set up as a joint stock company selling shares at £100 each. From the initial group of shareholders 24 men were elected to form the university Council. Before academic sessions commenced in 1828, the Council established a competition for architects to propose a building design. The winning entry was awarded to William Wilkins and the foundation stone was laid during a ceremony on 30 April 1827. Work on the building was completed in stages, with the final additions being finished in 1977.

Initially 24 professors were appointed as the first teaching body of the university and inaugural British professorships in Modern Foreign Languages, English Language and Literature and Law were founded. Expensive building work and relatively small student numbers meant that the newly formed university struggled financially in its first few years of existence. However, development on site continued with the University College School founded in 1830 and the North London Hospital opened for the university’s medical students in 1834.

On 28 November 1836 the university received its Royal Charter and was renamed University College London (UCL). On the same day, a new University of London was established with the power to award degrees in medicine, arts and laws, to students from both UCL and King's College London. The following year the North London Hospital changed its name to University College Hospital (UCH), which it would remain until it became part of the University College London Hospitals NHS Trust in 1994.

In 1869 the first series of 'lectures for ladies' was given at UCL, under the auspices of the London Ladies' Educational Association. The first mixed classes for men and women were held in 1871 by John Elliott Cairnes, Professor of Political Economy. In the same year the Slade School of Fine Art was opened in the newly built north wing of the University. Women were admitted for the first time as full degree students to the Faculties of Science and of Arts and Laws in 1878 and the London Ladies’ Educational Association was disestablished. Initially women were not admitted on the same terms as men and between 1883-1912 had to be accepted by the Lady Superintendent of Women Students before being granted admission. Women were later admitted as full students to the Faculty of Medicine in 1917.

Under the University College London (Transfer) Act of 1905, in 1907 UCL was incorporated into the University of London and ceased to have a separate legal existence, also parting company with University College Hospital and University College School. It was not until 1977 that a new Royal Charter restored UCL's legal independence from the University of London. In the period that followed various mergers with local institutions marked a period of expansion for the university. In 1986 the Institute of Archaeology was incorporated into UCL and was followed by several medical mergers. The Institute of Neurology merged with UCL in 1997 and the following year the Royal Free Hospital Medical School joined the UCH Medical School, to create the current UCL Medical School. In 1999 the Eastman Dental Clinic also joined UCL. These mergers were later followed by the School of Slavonic and East European Studies in 1999, the School of Pharmacy in 2012, and most recently the Institute of Education in 2014.

Woodger was born on 2 May 1894 and was educated at Felsted School in Essex, showing an early interest in biology. He went to University College London (UCL) in 1911 to read zoology. He served during the First World War. In 1919 he resumed his scholarship at UCL and carried out research there until 1922. He then went to the Department of Biology at the University of London Middlesex Hospital Medical School as a Reader, where he lectured. He wrote a text-book for his biology students in which he drew most of the illustrations himself. In 1926 he went to Vienna to study for a term under Przibram. He became interested in the philosophy of science and on his return to England continued to study it. He became Professor of Biology at the Medical School in 1947. He retired in 1959. Woodger published many writings on the biological sciences. He died on 8 March 1981.

Bryan Batty qualified from St Bartholomew's Hospital, and became a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1815. He was a physician and surgeon, and lived and practised in Sedbergh, Cumbria (then North Yorkshire).

He died most probably in 1871.

Helen C. Brooke started her training as a Norland Children's Nurse. She undertook further training (CMB) at the Salvation Army Hostel, Clapton, and then worked as a Health Visitor in Birmingham for a year. During the First World War, 1914-1918, she served for two years as a welfare worker to the women employed in Woolwich Arsenal.

Brooke began work in the Child Welfare Department of University College Hospital, London, in January 1919, as Assistant Health Visitor. Her work involved visits to local homes in the St Pancras area, and staffing the Child Welfare Clinic. In the early days of the Department the local inhabitants resented these visits, whilst attendance at the Clinic was perceived as an acknowledgment of parental incompetence. However, `largely owing to Miss Brooke's tact and perseverence [sic]' this attitude was eventually eradicated, and the next generation began to automatically bring their new babies to the Hospital to be checked by the health visitors (UCH Magazine, 1947, p.96). Brooke was promoted to Senior Health Visitor in 1935.

In August 1947 Brooke retired from her post as Health Visitor at University College Hospital, after 28 years of service.

William Currie (fl 1768-1805) graduated MD Edinburgh on September 12, 1770, with a thesis 'De Phthisi Pulmonali', and became in the same year a Member of the Medical Society of Edinburgh. In the Medical Register for 1780 he is given as one of the three Physicians to the Chester General Infirmary; the other two being Drs Denton and John Haygarth. He is not to be confused with William Currie (1754-1829), of Philadelphia.

Samuel England was an apothecary who flourished in the middle of the eighteenth century. It appears he was an apprentice in the 1730s, referring in his notebooks of 1730-33 to his master, and to doctors by the names of Talbot, Dunning, and Bere. It is thought that Samuel England came from the West Country of England, either Devon, Dorset, or Somerset.

Sir George Ent was born at Sandwich, Kent, on 6 November 1604, the son of Josias Ent, a Belgium merchant whose religion had forced him to flee the Netherlands and settle in England. He was educated at a school in Rotterdam. In 1624 he entered at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, graduating BA in 1627, and MA in 1631. Ent then went to Padua University, at the time the most celebrated school of medicine. He studied there for five years, graduating MD in April 1636. As was the custom of the time, congratulatory poems addressed to him by his friends were published in Padua, entitled Laureae Apollinani, with Ent's coat of arms endorsed on the title page. He was incorporated MD at Oxford in November 1638.

In 1639 he was elected a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. Ent's major work was his Apologia pro Circuitione Sanguinis, contra Aemilium Parisanum (1641; 2nd edition 1683). The book defends William Harvey's doctrine of the circulation of the blood, and is a particular reply to a Venetian physician Aemylius Parisanus. It also gives a `rational account' of the operation of purgative medicines (Munk's Roll, 1878, p.226). Both editions were dedicated to Sir Theophilus Clinton, Earl of Lincoln, and were preceded by an address to Harvey. In 1642 Ent delivered the Goulstonian Lectures at the Royal College of Physicians. He was censor of the College for twenty-two years, between 1645 and 1669.

In 1651 Ent published Harvey's De Generatione Animalium, with a dedicatory letter to the celebrated anatomist. Ent had persuaded Harvey to give him the manuscript, which Harvey had up to that point delayed publishing as he felt he might have made further observations. Ent then published the work, with the author's permission. He dedicated the book to the president and fellows of the Royal College of Physicians. Ent was a close friend of Harvey's, and when Harvey died, in 1657, he left Ent five pounds with which to buy a ring. Their friendship was immortalised by the poet John Dryden, in his Epistle to Dr Charleton.

Ent was registrar of the Royal College of Physicians for fifteen years, 1655-70, and became an elect in 1657. In 1665 Ent delivered the anatomy lectures at the College. After the last lecture Charles II, who was present at the lecture, knighted Ent in the Harveian Museum, an unprecedented event. Ent was subsequently consiliarius, advisor to the president, from 1667-69, and again from 1676-86. Ent became president of the College from 1670-75, and served again in 1682 and 1684.

He was one of the original fellows of the Royal Society, and is named in the charter as one of the first council. A collection of Ent's works, Opera Omnia Medico-Physica, was published in Leiden in 1687. It has been said of him that he was `a man of very considerable scholarship speaking and writing Latin with ease and elegance' (Whitfield, [1981], p.51).

Ent had married Sarah, daughter of the physician Othowell Meverall, treasurer of the Royal College of Physicians, in February 1645-6. Ent died at his house in the parish of St Giles-in-the-Fields, on 13 October 1689, at the age of 84. He had resigned from his position as elect at the College just a few days before his death. He was buried in the church of St Lawrence Jewry, near the Guildhall of London.

Publications:
Apologia pro Circuitione Sanguinis, contra Aemilium Parisanum (London, 1641; 2nd ed. 1683)
De Generatione Animalium, William Harvey (London, 1651, published by Ent)
Animadversiones in Malachiae Thrustoni, MD, Diatribam de Respirationis usu Primario (London, 1672)
Opera Omnia Medico-Physica... Nunc Primum Junctim Edita... (Leiden, 1687)
A Collection for Improvement of Husbandry and Trade, Olof Rudbeck, Philip Stansfield, & Sir George Ent, ed. by John Houghton (London, 1692)

Etherege , George , b 1518

George Etherege (b 1518): see A Memorial of George Edrych and his friends in our College, 1518-1588, by Sir Norman Moore.

Born in 1821 at Earlsdon House near Newcastle-on-Tyne, Fenwick was apprenticed to Newcastle's Royal Infirmary aged 14. He qualified at 21, practised around North Shields and lectured at Durham University. He moved to London in 1862 and became assistant physician at the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest and in 1868 then 1879 became assistant and full physician respectively at the London Hospital. He lectured at the London Hospital Medical School and published two books there - Student's guide to medical diagnosis (1869) and Outlines of medical treatment (1879). He retired from hospital work in 1896 and died in 1902. (Source - Lives of the Fellows of the RCP (Munk's Roll) Vol 4 p182).

Born, 1733; educated: Eton College, 1748; Clare College, Cambridge, 1750-1753. MP for Whitchurch, 1754; clerk to the household of the Prince of Wales, 1756; Clerk of the Board of Green Cloth, 1760; Paymaster-General of the Forces, 1767-1768; left office and was to remain in opposition for the next fourteen years, 1768; opposition candidate for Speaker, 1770; Secretary at War, 1782; Home Office, 1782-1783; Home Secretary, 1783; left office 1789; created Viscount Sydney, 1789; Chief Justiceship in Eyre, south of the Trent, 1789-; Deputy Lieutenant of Kent, 1793-; died, 1800.

John Gorman, physican and surgeon, trained at the University of Edinburgh, became a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1817 and qualified as Doctor of Medicine from Aberdeen University in 1822.

George Gregory was born on 16 August 1790 at Canterbury, the son of William Gregory, clergyman and preacher of Canterbury Cathedral, and grandson of John Gregory, professor of medicine at Edinburgh University. He received his early education at King's School, Canterbury. His father died in 1803 and he went to live in Edinburgh with his uncle the physician James Gregory, author of the Conspectus Medicinae Theoreticae (1780-82).

Gregory studied medicine at Edinburgh University from 1806-9. He continued his studies in London at St George's Hospital and the Windmill Street School of Anatomy. At Windmill Street he was under the tutelage of the anatomist Matthew Baillie, a friend of Gregory's father from their early lives at Baliol College, Oxford. Gregory returned to Edinburgh and graduated MD in 1811.

He became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England in 1812, and the following year was sent as assistant surgeon to the forces in the Mediterranean engaged in the Napoleonic Wars. He served in Sicily and in Italy, at the capture of Genoa. At the end of war in 1815 he retired on half pay and returned to England. In 1816 he was elected a licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians and began practice in London. He gave lectures at the Windmill Street School, and then at St Thomas's Hospital.

Gregory made many contributions to the medical journals, the Cyclopaedia of Practical Medicine, Sir John Forbes, John Conolly, and Alexander Tweedie (eds.) (1833-35), and Alexander Tweedie's (ed.) Library of Medicine (1840-42). His own major publication was Elements of the Theory and Practice of Physic (1820, 6th ed. 1846). He was made physician to the Smallpox and Vaccination Hospital in 1824, and subsequently wrote numerous articles on smallpox and vaccination. He was also physician at the General Dispensary. He became a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in 1839, and was a fellow of the Royal Society. In 1843 he published his Lectures on Eruptive Fevers.

He died at Camden Square, London, of heart disease on 25 January 1853, and was buried at Kensal Green cemetery.

Publications:
Elements of the Theory and Practice of Physic (London, 1820, 6th ed. 1846)
Lectures on Eruptive Fevers, delivered at St Thomas's Hospital in January 1843 (London, 1843)

William Hamilton was born at Strabane, Co Tyrone in 1758. He was eduated at Glasgow and Edinburgh from where he graduated MD 24 June 1779. He became LRCP 30 September 1786 and was elected Physician to the London Hospital 5 December 1787. He died 5 May 1807. [Source - Munk's Roll vol II p366].

Thomas Marwood was physician to James I. Dr William Munk, who made an exhaustive study of the manuscript doubted the authorship of Dr Marwood, and rather favoured the suggestion that 'the volume is really neither more nor less than the daily entry book of a leading and fashionable Apothecary in London, containing the copies in extenso of the prescriptions he compounded for the physicians who patronised and the persons who employed him. He may even have been 'Apothecary to the Person.' As such he would have been in immediate attendance on the king, as glysters and cupping had to be employed. Or lastly, the report of the illness and of the post-mortem examination may have been merely copied by the writer of the volume from the notes of one of the many physicians who were present throughout. It is clear that the author of the report was a medical man, and one thoroughly conversant with the habits of the king and the king and the whole course of his illness'.

Sir Theodore Turquet de Mayerne was born on 28 September 1573 in Geneva, the son of Louis Turquet de Mayerne, a protestant French historian. Theodore Beza, John Calvin's successor, was Mayerne's godfather and namesake. After being educated in Geneva Mayerne went to the University of Heidelberg, where he studied for several years. Physic was his chosen profession and he went to Montpelier to pursue his medical studies. He proceeded MB in 1596, and MD in 1597.

Mayerne then moved to Paris where he lectured on anatomy and pharmacy. He had become greatly interested in chemistry, and in his medical practice made considerable use of chemical remedies. His support of this then recent innovation brought him into favour with Lazarus Riverius, first physician to Henry IV of France, who then procured Mayerne an appointment as one of the King's physicians in 1600. However Mayerne's support equally antagonised the Faculty of Paris, who would accept no dissent from Galen. In 1603 Mayerne, in conjunction with Quercetanus, was attacked by the Faculty in print, in Apologia pro Medicina Hippocratis et Galeni, contra Mayernium et Quercetanum. Mayerne responded with an apologetic answer, and his only medical publication, Apologia in qua videre est, inviolatis Hippocratis et Galeni legibus, Remedia Chemice praeparata tuto usurpari posse. Rupel. 1603. In this he demonstrated that chemical remedies were not only in accordance with the principles but also with the practice of Hippocrates and Galen.

Despite another interdict from the Galenists Mayerne remained in favour with the King, who appointed him to attend the Duke de Rohan in his embassies to the courts of Germany and Italy. Although he continued to rise in the King's esteem, Mayerne failed to secure the advantages the King offered because he refused to renounce his protestant beliefs and conform to the Church of Rome. Whilst the King would still have appointed him first physician, the Queen intervened to prevent it. Mayerne continued as physician in ordinary to the King until 1606, when he sold his place to a French physician.

It is thought that it was in the early part of 1606 that Mayerne came to England, on the invitation of an English nobleman he had treated in Paris. He was appointed physician to James I's Queen, Anne of Denmark, and was incorporated at Oxford on his Montpelier degree on 8 April 1606. It is thought that he spent the next few years in France, until the assassination of Henry IV on 14 May 1610 when he returned again to England. This was upon the request of James I, made via letters patent under the Great Seal. On his arrival the King appointed him first physician to himself and the Queen, and from this point until his death Dr Mayerne appears to have been considered one of the first physicians in the kingdom' (Munk's Roll, 1878, p.165). His practice soon thrived; he even had French patients cross the Channel to consult him. His patients included Sir Robert Cecil and Prince Henry, about whose demise by typhoid fever he wrote a detailed state paper. This document remainsa valuable monument of the medicine of the time' (DNB, 1894, p.151).

In 1616 Mayerne was elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. The following year he was influential in obtaining a charter for the Society of Apothecaries, separating them from the Grocers, and was later the chief founder of the Company of Distillers. In 1618 he wrote the dedication of the first Pharmacopoeia Londinensis to the King. At about this time Mayerne revisited France. He was however in England again in 1624 when he was knighted at Theobalds. In the same year he wrote a collection of prescriptions and methods of practice for his colleagues, explaining that he would again be absent from his duties for a time. It has been said about this undertaking that

`certain prudential rules for their conduct are prefixed, which show the man of sense and liberal sentiments, but might, perhaps, be thought somewhat assuming and officious, considering the persons to whom they were addressed' (Munk's Roll, p.166).

In 1625 Mayerne returned for a short time to Switzerland, to his house in Aubonne, where a few years earlier he had taken the title Baron Aubonne.

On the accession of Charles I in 1625, Mayerne was appointed first physician to the King and Queen. During his reign Mayerne rose still higher in reputation and authority. His leisure time was spent conducting chemical and physical experiments, which he had begun in Paris. He introduced calomel into medical practice and invented the mercurial lotion known as the black-wash (lotio nigra). He experimented on pigments, and consequently did much to advance the art of enameling. He mixed paints and varnishes for artists, and cosmetics for the ladies at Court. It has been said of him that he was

`an innovator and a man of new ideas, and for that reason was perhaps over-anxious to prove his respect for what had long been generally received' (DNB, p.152).

Mayerne is ultimately famous for his copious case notes, the detail of which was extraordinary for his time.

It is thought that he remained in London, at his house in St Martin's Lane, during the Civil War, attending patients. On Charles I's execution in 1649, he was made nominal first physician to Charles II. In the same year he retired to Chelsea.

Mayerne was twice married, first to Marguerite de Boetslaer, by whom he had three children. His wife died in 1628. In 1630 he married Elizabeth Joachimi, by whom he had five children, of whom just one daughter survived him. Mayerne died at Chelsea on 22 March 1654/5. His body was interred in the church of St Martin-in-the-Fields, with the bodies of his mother, first wife, and five of his children. A monument was erected in his memory, with an inscription written by his godson, Sir Theodore des Vaux.

In 1690 Vaux published Praxis Medica, which contained a series of Mayerne's medical notes. In 1701 Joseph Browne published Mayernii Opera Medica, complectantia Consilia, Epistolas et Observationes, Pharmacopoeiam, variasque Medicamentorum formulas. Lond., which contains Mayerne's long counsels written in reply to letters. These offer some illumination of the duties of a fashionable physician in the early 17th century.

Publications:
Sommaire Description de la France, Allemange, Italie et Espagne (1592)
Apologia in qua videre est, inviolatis Hippocratis et Galeni legibus, Remedia Chemice praeparata tuto usurpari posse. Rupel. 1603

Publications by others about Mayerne:
Praxis Medica, Sir Theodore des Vaux (ed) (London, 1690)
Mayernii Opera Medica, complectantia Consilia, Epistolas et Observationes, Pharmacopoeiam, variasque Medicamentorum formulas. Lond. 1701 Joseph Browne (ed.)
`Rubens and Mayerne', Charles Davis (MA Thesis) (North Carolina, 1967)
Turquet de Mayerne as Baroque Physician: The Art of Medical Portraiture, Brian Nance (Amsterdam, 2001)

Born, 1875; educated at Llandovery College and at the University of Edinburgh; graduated MB, 1899 and MD, 1903; member of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, 1903; postgraduate study in Vienna and Berlin; held resident posts at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, and in London at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, the Brompton Hospital, and the Western Fever Hospital of the Metropolitan Asylums Board; diploma in public health, 1905; demonstrator and lecturer in public health at University College, London, 1907; deputy medical officer of health of the Metropolitan Borough of Stoke Newington, London, 1907; part-time officer, London County Council, 1909; full-time assistant medical officer, London County Council, 1911-1924, working in schools in the East End of London; prepared and implemented schemes for the control of tuberculosis and venereal diseases in London; Director of Hospitals and Medical services for the joint council of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John of Jerusalem, 1924, he also remained as London County Council part-time staff as a consultant on the tuberculosis and venereal diseases schemes; returned to full-time work for the London County Council, as County Medical Officer of Health, 1926-1939; returned to Caernarvonshire, where he acted as Inspector of hospitals and convalescent homes in north Wales for the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John of Jerusalem; returned to London and undertook work on variouis committees, 1945; died, 1949.

Born, 1824; educated at Wakefield School; Trinity College, Oxford, 1844; medical school in Kinnerton Street attached to St George's Hospital, London; licentiate, 1850, and Fellow, 1855, of the Royal College of Physicians; MA and MB, 1851; MD, 1857; worked at morbid anatomy and was Curator of the Museum, St George's Hospital; assistant physician, 1857; full physician, 1866; resigned from St George's, 1876; returned to active practice and Consulting Physician for St George's Hospital, 1877; died, 1905.

John Noel O'Reilly was born on 15 December 1904, in Oxford, where his father was a civil servant. He was educated at the City of Oxford School and then in 1923 entered Jesus College, Oxford, as a mathematics exhibitioner, where he was a keen athlete. After becoming interested in natural sciences he chose to study medicine. He studied at the Middlesex Hospital Medical School in London, where he had a distinguished academic career. He became a licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians in 1929, and qualified BM BCh in 1930.

O'Reilly became a member of the Royal College of Physicians in 1932, and qualified MD from Oxford in 1936. He obtained a Medical Research Council travelling fellowship and went to Vienna, Heidelberg, and Munich to study tuberculosis in children. After returning to England he held registrar posts at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, before becoming consultant paediatrician to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in the East End of London in 1934.

During the Second World War he was found to be unfit for service in the Armed Forces, due to having undergone gastrectomy. He became medical superintendent and physician of an Army hospital, from 1940-43.

In 1943 he was appointed consultant paediatrician to St Helier Hospital, Carshalton, where he remained for 25 years. He was responsible for starting one of the earliest premature baby units in the United Kingdom. His hard work and high standards enabled the paediatric unit of the hospital to thrive, amongst an underprivileged population that had recently been re-housed from London's East End. He was an inspiration to many junior staff, and it has been said that he `inspired confidence in his excellent medical skills and related well to children' (Munk's Roll, 1994, p.400).

He simultaneously held appointments as paediatrician at several hospitals, including the Croydon General Hospital, whose staff he joined in 1946. In 1966 he became a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians.

He married Doreen Daly, consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist at St Helier's Hospital, in 1955. After retirement they travelled extensively and learnt Spanish, to add interest to their travels. O'Reilly suffered with diabetes towards the end of his life, and died at the age of 84 on 10 October 1989.

Baptised, 1785; Tancred studentship at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, 1803-1808; Physician at the Westminster Hospital, 1808-1813; Physician to the Penzance Dispensary, 1813-1817; returned to London to set up in practice, 1817; began a series of lectures in materia medica at Great Windmill Street School of Medicine, [1817]; lectured in materia medica for the Royal College of Physicians, 1819-1826; President of the Royal College of Physicians, 1844-1856; died, 1856.

Born, 1869; educated at Marlborough School; studied medicine at University College, Bristol and St Mary's Hospital; qualified, 1893; Assistant Physician at Great Ormond Street, 1900; Assistant Physician, in charge of the children's wards, at University College Hospital, 1903; full Physician at UCH, 1910; full Physician at Great Ormond Street, 1919; First World War captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps; Bradshaw lecturer at the Royal College of Physicians, 1924; Lettsomian lecturer at the Medical Society of London, 1927; President of the British Paediatric Association, 1931; Long Fox Lecturer at Bristol, 1934; retired from his hospital appointments, 1934; died, 1943.

Catharine Sedley was the daughter of John Savage, Earl of Rivers, and was probably born in the late 1630s, or early 1640s.

She married Sir Charles Sedley, wit, dramatic author, and Member of Parliament for New Romney, on 23 February 1656/7 at St Giles-in-the-Fields. Her husband, favoured at the court of Charles II, gained a reputation as a patron of literature in the Restoration period, and was the Lisideius of the poet John Dryden's Essay of Dramatic Poesy (1668). His lewd, drunken behaviour brought him notoriety which rivaled his literary reputation. There are several references to Sedley's antics in Samuel Pepys's Diary.

Sir Charles and Lady Sedley had one daughter, Catharine, born in 1657. She became the favourite mistress of James, Duke of York, afterwards James II, who created her Countess of Dorchester.

Lady Sedley was eventually locked up in a madhouse, or confined in a convent, many years before she died (Guthrie, 1913, p.12; Boswell, 1929, p.1058). She is thought to have died in 1705.