Parish of St Augustine, Stepney , Church of England

Identity area

Authorized form of name

Parish of St Augustine, Stepney , Church of England

Description area

History

Saint Augustine's stood in a poor district between Commercial Road and Whitechapel Road. It originated in a temporary church opened in 1864. The permanent church was consecrated in December 1879, although work on the interior was not completed until 1888. The church was badly damaged by incendiary bombs during the Second World War. In 1951 the parish was united with Saint Philip the Apostle, Stepney (P93/PHI).