Identity area
Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parish of St Luke, South Kensington , Church of England
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Description area
Dates of existence
History
Saint Luke's was built in 1872 to 1873; designed by George and Henry Godwin. Chiefly responsible for fundraising was the Reverend William Fraser Handcock, a clergyman of means, who built a wooden church, subsequently covered in iron to conform with the London building regulations, which was opened in July 1871. This was then replaced by the permanent building.