Alexander Simpson was born in Bathgate, Scotland in 1835. He was the nephew of Sir James Young Simpson, Professor of Midwifery at the University of Edinburgh. Simpson studied at Bathgate Academy and later at the University of Edinburgh where in 1856 he received his M.D. He worked for seven years with his uncle in Edinburgh before moving to be a general practitioner in Glasgow. He succeeded to the Chair of Sir James Young Simpson following the latter's death in 1870. In 1872 he married a Miss Barbour. In 1905 he retired at the age of 70, and a year later he was knighted. He was killed in a road accident during a wartime blackout in 1916.
Alexander Simpson was born in Bathgate, Scotland in 1835. He was the nephew of Sir James Young Simpson, Professor of Midwifery at the University of Edinburgh. Simpson studied at Bathgate Academy and later at the University of Edinburgh where in 1856 he received his M.D. He worked for seven years with his uncle in Edinburgh before moving to be a general practitioner in Glasgow. He succeeded to the Chair of Sir James Young Simpson following the latter's death in 1870. In 1872 he married a Miss Barbour. In 1905 he retired at the age of 70, and a year later he was knighted. He was killed in a road accident during a wartime blackout in 1916.
Alexander Gray McIntyre graduated as Bachelor of Medicine and Master in Surgery, Edinburgh, 1893; member of the Royal Medical Society, Edinburgh; Medical Officer, Glasgow Convalescence Home, Lenzie; Assistant Physician, Crichton Royal Institution, Dumfries; died [1939].
John Haighton was born, Lancashire, about 1755; pupil of Else at St Thomas's Hospital; Surgeon to the guards; Demonstrator of Anatomy, St Thomas's Hospital, resigned, 1789; Lecturer in Physiology, [1788], and Midwifery with Dr Lowder, St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals; conducted numerous physiological experiments; M D; Fellow, Royal Society; presided at meetings of the Physical Society at Guy's Hospital; joint editor of Medical Records and Researches, 1798; assisted Dr William Saunders in his Treatise on the Liver, 1793; silver medal of the Medical Society of London, 1790; his nephew, Dr James Blundell began to assist him in his lectures, 1814, and took the entire course from 1818; died, 1823.
Publications include: 'An Attempt to Ascertain the Powers concerned in the Act of Vomiting,' in Memoirs of the Medical Society of London (ii. 250) (1789); A syllabus of the Lectures on Midwifery delivered at Guy's Hospital and at Dr Lowder's and Dr Haighton's Theatre in ... Southwark (London, re-printed 1799); A case of Tic Douloureux ... successfully treated by a division of the affected nerve. An inquiry concerning the true and spurious Cæsarian Operation, etc (1813).
Colin Mackenzie was born, 1697 or 1698; attended, as Calenus Makenje, Scotus, the medical courses of Herman Boerhaave at the University of Leiden, 1722; studied under Alexander Monro primus in Edinburgh, 1740 and 1742; pupil of William Smellie; taught courses in obstetrics, 1754-1775; maintained a private lying-in establishment in Crucifix Lane, Southwark; degree of MD by the University of St Andrews, 1759; died, 1775.
Born, 1883; premedical studies at the London Hospital medical college, 1900; St Mary's Hospital, London, graduated, 1906; assistant in the inoculation department of St Mary's Hospital medical school, 1907; Captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps, worked on wound infections, first at St Mary's Hospital and later in Almroth Wright's laboratory at no. 13 general hospital in Boulogne, 1914-1918; member of the scientific staff of the Medical Research Council, 1919; St Mary's Hospital, 1922; honorary director of the research laboratories of Queen Charlotte's Maternity Hospital, 1930-1939; Colonel in the Royal Army Medical Corps and bacteriological consultant to the British Expeditionary Force, France, 1939-1940; worked on the infection and treatment of burns, 1940; director of the Burns Investigation Unit of the Medical Research Council, first based at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, and then at the Birmingham Accident Hospital, 1942-1948; honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, 1944; Fellow of the Royal Society, 1945; retired, 1948; honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1950; died, 1967.
Robert Milne Murray was born, 1855; read arts in St Andrew's University; moved to Edinburgh to study medicine; staff of the Royal Infirmary and Royal Maternity Hospital; designed a modification of the forceps previously invented by Tarnier; died, 1904.
Alexander Hamilton was baptised in 1739; assistant to John Straiton, surgeon, of Edinburgh, 1758; member of the Edinburgh College of Surgeons, 1762; licentiate, and subsequently a fellow, of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh; physician to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, 1772; joint professor of midwifery in the University of Edinburgh with Dr Thomas Young, 1780 and sole professor, 1783-1800; was instrumental in establishing the Lying-in Hospital, 1791; died, 1802.
James Blundell was born, 1790; educated first by the Revd Thomas Thomason, and then at the United Borough Hospitals by his maternal uncle, the physiologist John Haighton, he graduated MD at Edinburgh, 1813; began lecturing in London on midwifery, 1814; soon after began to lecture on physiology; Lecturer in Midwifery and as Lecturer in Physiology at Guy's Hospital, 1818; Professor of Obstetrics and Lecturer on the Diseases of Women; left Guy's Hospital, 1834; Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, 1838; retired, 1847; died, 1878.
Publications:
Researches Physiological and Pathological (1824)
Principles and Practice of Obstetricy (1834)
Observations on some of the More Important Diseases of Women (1837)
William Merrick gained a certificate to practice as an apothecary, 10 Nov 1831.
Arthur Joseph (Joe) Wrigley CBE, MD, FRCS, FRCOG (1904-1984) was educated at St Thomas's Hospital Medical School and practised at St Thomas's, beginning his career as registrar to the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and later becoming obstetric physician. He also offered his services to Mount Vernon Hospital, the Grosvenor Hospital, the Lambeth Hospital, and to the London boroughs of Lambeth and Stoke Newington. He was a Fellow of the College and inventor of the short forceps - "the Wrigley's". He died in 1984.
William Lowder graduated doctor of medicine, Aberdeen, 1775; licentiate of the College of Physicians, 1786; practised midwifery; lectured at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals; died, 1801.
John Haighton was born, Lancashire, about 1755; pupil of Else at St Thomas's Hospital; Surgeon to the guards; Demonstrator of Anatomy, St Thomas's Hospital, resigned, 1789; Lecturer in Physiology, [1788], and Midwifery with Dr Lowder, St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals; conducted numerous physiological experiments; M D; Fellow, Royal Society; presided at meetings of the Physical Society at Guy's Hospital; joint editor of Medical Records and Researches, 1798; assisted Dr William Saunders in his Treatise on the Liver, 1793; silver medal of the Medical Society of London, 1790; his nephew, Dr James Blundell began to assist him in his lectures, 1814, and took the entire course from 1818; died, 1823.
Publications include: 'An Attempt to Ascertain the Powers concerned in the Act of Vomiting,' in Memoirs of the Medical Society of London (ii. 250) (1789); A syllabus of the Lectures on Midwifery delivered at Guy's Hospital and at Dr Lowder's and Dr Haighton's Theatre in ... Southwark (London, re-printed 1799); A case of Tic Douloureux ... successfully treated by a division of the affected nerve. An inquiry concerning the true and spurious Cæsarian Operation, etc (1813).
John Hunter, possibly the author of these notes, was a student at Guy's Hospital, enrolling 19 May 1813 and 28 Jun 1815.
John Haighton was born, Lancashire, about 1755; pupil of Else at St Thomas's Hospital; Surgeon to the guards; Demonstrator of Anatomy, St Thomas's Hospital, resigned, 1789; Lecturer in Physiology, [1788], and Midwifery with Dr Lowder, St Thomas's and Guy's Hospitals; conducted numerous physiological experiments; M D; Fellow, Royal Society; presided at meetings of the Physical Society at Guy's Hospital; joint editor of Medical Records and Researches, 1798; assisted Dr William Saunders in his Treatise on the Liver, 1793; silver medal of the Medical Society of London, 1790; his nephew, Dr James Blundell began to assist him in his lectures, 1814, and took the entire course from 1818; died, 1823.
Publications include: 'An Attempt to Ascertain the Powers concerned in the Act of Vomiting,' in Memoirs of the Medical Society of London (ii. 250) (1789); A syllabus of the Lectures on Midwifery delivered at Guy's Hospital and at Dr Lowder's and Dr Haighton's Theatre in ... Southwark (London, re-printed 1799); A case of Tic Douloureux ... successfully treated by a division of the affected nerve. An inquiry concerning the true and spurious Cæsarian Operation, etc (1813).
Chelsea Hospital for Women was founded in 178 King's Road, 1871; moved to Fulham Road, 1883; moved to Dovehouse Street, 1916; in co-operation with Queen Charlotte's Maternity Hospital formed a combined postgraduate teaching school, 1946, this subsequently became the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology; Chelsea Hospital for Women was closed in 1988.
In 1745 Bartholomew Mosse, surgeon and man-midwife, founded the original Dublin Lying-In Hospital as a maternity training hospital, the first of its kind. In 1757 the institution moved to a different location where it became 'The New Lying-In Hospital'. This is the hospital complex that is referred to today as simply 'The Rotunda'.
The Bristol Royal Infirmary was founded by Paul Fisher, a wealthy city merchant, 1735; in 1904, Sir George White saved the hospital from a major financial crisis; in 1948 it was acquired by the National Health Service.
The Lord Chancellor's Advisory Committee on Legal Education and Conduct (ACLEC) was established in 1991 under the Courts and Legal Services Act 1990. The Committee had the general duty of assisting in the maintenance and development of standards in the education, training and conduct of those offering legal services. In the field of legal education and training, its brief was as follows:
- to keep under review the education and training of those who offer to provide legal services.
- to consider the need for continuing education and training for such persons and the form it should take.
- to consider the steps which professional and other bodies should take to ensure that their members benefit from such continuing education and training.
ACLEC was abolished by Statutory Instrument 1999 No.3296. Its functions were taken over by a new Legal Services Consultative Panel within the Lord Chancellor's Department.
The Association of Law Teachers (ALT) was conceived in 1965 by a group of law teachers from institutions other than universities who met at Taplow in Buckinghamshire to discuss the particular problems of teaching law faced by such institutions. The following year a steering committee met in London to officially establish the ALT to represent the growing interest in law in Regional Colleges of Technology, further education colleges and schools. Initial funding came from the publishers Sweet & Maxwell. In its Constitution, the objects of the ALT were laid down as: a) to further the advancement, development, study, understanding, use and reform of the educational aspects of law and its teaching; b) to represent and make known the views of its members upon matters relating to or affecting their professional interests as teachers of law; c) to establish and support or aid in the establishment and support of associations and institutions calculated to benefit the objects of the Association or the members of the Association or the dependants or connections of such members and to subscribe to or guarantee money for charitable or benevolent objects or for any public, general or useful object; d) to do all things consistent with these objects considered by the Association or its Committee to be necessary, conducive or incidental to the promotion of the professional, social or general welfare of its members. The present membership of the ALT is drawn from teachers in higher (largely, but not exclusively, the new universities), further and tertiary education. It focuses primarily on the pedagogy and androgogy of law, teaching and learning methods and assessment, and fosters research in these fields, including the 1993 and 1997 Harris surveys of legal education. Until about 1990 the ALT was the only representative body for Polytechnic law teachers, and in the 1970s and 1980s it also provided a general forum for discussion of doctrinal legal issues. This remains a subsidiary function. The ALT's activities are run by a Committee comprising an elected Chairman, Vice-chairman, Secretary and Treasurer, plus five elected members and some co-opted members. Regular events include the Upjohn Lecture, the Annual Conference and one-day conferences. The ALT makes representations to a variety of official bodies concerning all aspects of law teaching, and is also represented on a number of these bodies. It has close links with the Society of Public Teachers of Law, which represents university law teachers.
Publications: Harris, P and Bellerby, S. with Leighton, P and Hodgson, J, A Survey of Law Teaching 1997 (ALT, 1993); Harris, P and Jones, M, "A Survey of Law Schools in the United Kingdom", (1997), The Law Teacher 38; Dr S B Marsh The Association of Law Teachers: the first 25 years (ALT, 1990); the ALT produces a regular Bulletin and a Journal.
The Committee of Inquiry was established in March 1993 "to conduct a wide-ranging investigation into the policies and practices of the Council of Legal Education (CLE) and the Inns of Court School of Law (ICSL). The creation of the Committee was partly in response to a large disparity in pass rates between black and ethnic minority students and white students on the Bar Vocational Course (BVC), uncovered by ethnic monitoring of the 1991/1992 intake, and partly in response to the large body of complaints about the course which had been lodged with the General Council of the Bar, and the CLE itself." (Final Report, Apr 1994, Introduction 3.1 p.8). The Inquiry was chaired by Dame Jocelyn Barrow (Deputy Chairman, Broadcasting Standards Council), from whom the short title "Barrow Inquiry" derives. Its members were Ruth Deech (Principal, St Anne's College Oxford), Jo Larbie (Director of Legal Education and Training of the Legal Resources Group), Rajeev Loomba (course leader for the Legal Practice Course, University of Northumbria) and David J Smith (Senior Fellow, Policy Studies Institute). The Inquiry's terms of reference were to identify the reasons for disparities in the level of performance of ethnic minorities on the BVC from 1991/92, to investigate allegations of racial discrimination and to investigate and make recommendations on teaching, assessment and pastoral care of students and for the further development of an equal opportunities policy by the CLE. The Inquiry employed a number of research methods as follows: 1. Statistical analysis, using as a starting point Dr Christopher Dewberry's 1991/1992 analysis of disparities between white and ethnic minority student pass rates; the Inquiry conducted further similar surveys and analyses; 2. Qualitative research, including oral hearings of evidence such as interviews with students, staff, assessors, CLE and General Council of the Bar members, written submissions from interested parties, and comments from students, followed by an analysis by Dr Robin Oakley; 3. Direct observation of teaching and assessment; 4. Collection and analysis of teaching materials relating to the BVC; 5. Following the Interim Report of September 1993, provision of a formal submission from the ICSL/CLE on teaching, assessment and pastoral care; 6. Consideration of the complaints of 29 individual students; 7. Comparison of the BVC with other jurisdictions, in the UK and abroad.
Publications: Equal Opportunities at the Inns of Court School of Law: the Final Report of the Committee of Inquiry into Equal Opportunities on the Bar Vocational Course (April 1994).
The Committee of Heads of University Law Schools (CHULS) sees its role as representing law schools and their management to the funding councils and other established committees in the legal sector, promoting mutual respect and active co-operation between law schools regionally, nationally and internationally, considering and advising relevant bodies on the structure, development and resourcing of legal education, disseminating information and good practice concerning legal education, assisting in the promotion of good management practice in law schools and liaising with the Association of Law Teachers (ALT), Society of Public Teachers of Law (SPTL) and other bodies on matters of mutual interest. CHULS began its active life as an SPTL committee concerned with specific issues relating to law schools and law teaching in universities. Its first meeting was held under SPTL auspices at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (IALS) on 27th September 1974, when the President of SPTL, Professor C F Parker, was appointed to the Chairmanship of CHULS. At its fourth meeting on 28th November 1975, it was agreed that CHULS should cease to be a committee of SPTL but should be constituted instead as an autonomous body, though close links with SPTL were still to be maintained. CHULS developed initially as a committee whose members represented all law schools in universities financed by the University Grants Committee which taught a law degree. Representatives of polytechnics, the Inns of Court School of Law and the College of Law were thus excluded. In September 1984 the Committee agreed on the desirability of holding joint meetings with the Heads of Polytechnic Law Schools, who had formed their own Committee to represent institutions offering Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA) degrees carrying exemption from the academic stage of professional education. On February 11 1992 a meeting was held to discuss a merger of the two Committees. The merger finally took place on 30 November 1992, with the creation of a newly constituted CHULS consisting of an Executive Committee with powers to appoint sub-committees as required. Membership was open to all institutions currently in membership of the two earlier committees, and other institutions of higher education which were in receipt of funding from a higher education funding council and which offered their own law degrees recognised by the professional bodies as giving exemption from the academic stage of legal education were made eligible to apply. Officers of the reconstituted Committee consisted of a Chairman, Vice-chairman, Secretary and Treasurer. In 1996 the two latter offices were amalgamated. CHULS' activities have included gathering information on staff recruitment and student admission procedures, monitoring the impact of Law Society and Council of Legal Education (CLE) regulations and of new teaching courses, reporting on funding for legal research and law libraries, examination of copyright on legal materials and provision of advice to bodies such as the Lord Chancellor's Advisory Committees on Legal Education. Some of its findings have been published.
The Council of Legal Education (CLE) was established by Resolutions of the Inns of Court in 1852, following the recommendation that year of a Legal Education Committee of the Four Inns. The CLE, consisting of eight members under the Chairmanship of Richard Bethell QC (later Lord Westbury), was entrusted with the power and duty of superintending the education and examination of students who had been admitted to the Inns and was to consist of an equal number of Benchers appointed by each of the Inns. Five Readerships or Professorships were set up, to each deliver three courses of lectures per year. Students were required to attend a certain number of lectures and to pass public examinations. The examinations were held thrice yearly, in Michaelmas, Hilary and Trinity terms. The CLE was given the power to grant dispensations to students unable to attend all required lectures. In 1872 membership of the Council was increased from eight to twenty and a compulsory examination for Call to the Bar was introduced. A further recommendation was made that the Council appoint a Committee of its members to be called the Committee of Education and Examination; this Committee later became the Board of Studies. A Director of Legal Studies was appointed in 1905. The constant increase in the number of students and consequent growth in the CLE's activities led to the Council's decision in 1915 to appoint a permanent Finance (later Finance and Administration) Committee for the regulation of its expenditure and in 1916 to create the post of Council Secretary. The CLE initially met in the Library of Lincoln's Inn. In 1903 it moved to 15 Old Square, Lincoln's Inn, where it remained until 1947. The CLE then moved to 7 Stone Buildings, where it was able to provide lecture rooms, common and reading room accommodation and canteen facilities for students. In 1964 the CLE gained the first home for law teaching with premises in Gray's Inn, donated by the Inn. In 1967 the Inns of Court School of Law (ICSL) was formally established on the site; it became an incorporated body in 1996. In 1967, as a consequence of the institution of the Senate of the Inns of Court as a central body to represent the Inns, the CLE was reconstituted under regulation of the Senate, which now appointed the Chairman and five other representatives of Council, and which had general policy-making powers. For the first time the CLE had representatives from the Bar Council as well as from the Inns. A new system of education and training, drawn up by the CLE in 1967, was approved by the Senate, to take effect from 1969. This included the appointment of a professional law teacher as Dean of Faculty (later retitled Dean of ICSL), replacing the old position of Director of Legal Studies, and the inauguration of new practical training programmes. In 1974, following the recommendations of the Pearce and Templeman Committee, a new body, the Senate of the Inns of Court and the Bar, was set up. The CLE was reconstituted under the Regulations of the new Senate, and its membership and functions redefined. During the 1970s the CLE faced the major task of implementing the recommendations of the Ormrod Report (of the Lord Chancellor's Committee on Legal Education) and the Cross Committee (Advisory Committee on Legal Education) relating to graduate entry to the profession, and the transfer of Part 1 teaching to the universities and polytechnics. The CLE continued to oversee legal education for the Bar until 1997. In that year the CLE transferred most of its responsibilities and assets to the ICSL. Its responsibility for supporting education and training for the Bar was passed to a new body, the Inns of Court and Bar Educational Trust (ICBET), while its regulatory function was passed to the General Council of the Bar. In 1997 the CLE ceased to operate.
The Commonwealth Legal Education Association (CLEA) was founded during the Fourth Commonwealth Law Conference in New Delhi in 1971. The idea was initiated by Indian lawyer Dr Laxmi Singhvi, CLEA's first chairman. The Association's objects were to foster high standards of legal education and research in Commonwealth countries, to build up contacts between interested individuals and organizations, and to disseminate information and literature concerning legal education and research. CLEA established its headquarters in the offices of the Legal Division of the Commonwealth Secretariat in Marlborough House, London, and with the Legal Director as its Honorary Secretary and Treasurer. In 1973 it obtained a grant from the Commonwealth Foundation; this funding, plus subscriptions from members, enabled the CLEA to embark on the projects planned on its establishment. It has received further long term grants from the Commonwealth Foundation to continue its activities. CLEA's structure, objectives and functions are set out in its Constitution, adopted soon after its foundation. Membership is open to individuals, schools of law and other institutions concerned with legal education and research. Patrons are appointed from various Commonwealth countries. The affairs of the Association are managed by an Executive Committee, drawn from the Commonwealth regions, which meets annually; its actions are reviewed at 5 yearly General Meetings, the first of which was held in Edinburgh during the Fifth Commonwealth Law Conference in 1977. There is an Advisory Panel in the United Kingdom. The administration of the Association was carried out by a chairman and two secretaries, one in London and one abroad. In 1990 the office of chairman was replaced by a president and executive chairperson (since renamed vice president). The President may be elected from any part of the Commonwealth; the Vice President must be established in the UK. In 1994 a South Asian regional chapter was formed.
The Commonwealth Legal Records Project (CLRP), which began its investigations in 1990, was jointly sponsored by the Association of Commonwealth Archivists and Records Managers (ACARM) and the Commonwealth Legal Education Association (CLEA), and was financed by a grant from the Leverhulme Foundation. It comprised a three year programme of research into modern legal records throughout the Commonwealth. The objectives of the study were to: i) analyse questions relating to the nature, extent and potential uses of legal records of all kinds; ii) collect information about the state of legal records in selected Commonwealth jurisdictions; iii) analyse factors relevant to devising informed policies regarding the management, appraisal, preservation and destruction of legal records and suggest guidelines; iv) produce and disseminate the findings of the study in a form that would be useful to interested institutions and individuals in different jurisdictions in the Commonwealth, especially developing countries.
Publications: William Twining and Emma Varnden Quick Legal records in the Commonwealth (Aldershot, Dartmouth, 1994); Legal records in Accra (Ghana).
In 1932 a Legal Education Committee under the Chairmanship of Lord Atkin was set up to consider the organisation of legal education in England and to make recommendations as to further provision for advanced research in legal studies. The Committee's report in 1934 included a recommendation that an Institute of Advanced Legal Studies be established in London. In 1938 another Committee, chaired by Lord Macmillan, was set up to find a practical means of effecting this recommendation. The Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (IALS) was established in 1946 as part of the University of London. Its aims were "the prosecution and promotion of legal research and the training of graduate students in its principles and methods" (39th Annual Report, 1985/86). Since its inception the scope of the Institute has expanded considerably, with sponsorship of and support for many research projects and the provision of facilities for other research bodies and for conferences, seminars and workshops. The Library provides facilities for academic and research staff and postgraduate research students from universities all over the world, and is one of the world's largest legal research libraries. In 1994 IALS became a major component of the School of Advanced Study. The School was established in September 1994. Its fore runner was the University of London Institutes for Advanced Study. The School includes the Institutes of Advanced Legal Studies, Classical Studies, Commonwealth Studies, Germanic Studies, Historical Research, Latin American Studies, Romance Studies, United States Studies and the Warburg Institute. The School gives the Institutes a collective voice in the governance of the University of London, fosters the development of new activities and collective enterprises among Institutes and generally promotes efficiency and effectiveness in the Institutes' missions of supporting and developing research in the humanities and social sciences, nationally and internationally.
For a detailed description of the establishment and development of the Institute see the IALS First Prospectus, 1948, and Willi Steiner (former IALS Librarian), 'The Establishment of the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies of the University of London', IALS Bulletin no. 17, Apr 1994, pp. 6-20.
These files were put together to isolate information of historical interest relating to the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies.
Working records of the Library were produced in the conduct of business. Gate signing-in books were created at a rate of about 1 per month from 1975 to 1998.
Plans were produced of Institute of Advanced Legal Studies buildings as the IALS expanded and altered its premises.
Produced and accumulated by the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies during the course of its business.
Directors of the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, 1947-1988, have been Sir David Hughes Parry MA, LLD, 1947-1959; Sir Norman D Anderson OBE, MA, LLD, 1960-1976; Professor A L Diamond LLM, 1976-1986; Sir Jack Jacob QC, LLD, Dr Juris, 1986-1988. The Director's functions are as follows: to lay down policy directions for IALS; to give academic leadership; to ensure efficient management; to represent IALS within the University and outside; and to participate on behalf of IALS in the direction and management of the School of Advanced Study.
The Institute of Advanced Legal Studies Secretary and Librarian undertook the administration of the Institute under the direction of the Committee of Management and was also responsible for building up the library. The position was held by K Howard Drake from 1947 until his death in 1967. He was succeeded by W A F P Steiner. In 1971 the functions were separated, with Steiner continuing as IALS Librarian while administrative duties passed to a new Secretary, J A Boxhall.
The Institute of Advanced Legal Studies premises at 25 Russell Square were opened on 11 June 1948. The Institute later expanded into 26 Russell Square, and in 1956 took over additional premises at 1 Woburn Square. A new filing system (see A.IALS 5) was instituted for building, works and maintenance files covering the new building at Charles Clore House, 17 Russell Square, from December 1975.
The Institute moved into the new building at Charles Clore House, 17 Russell Square, in December 1975; it was officially opened on 1 April 1976.
These estimates were compiled by the Secretary, primarily J A Boxhall.
This series originally comprised four account books dated 1947-1950, located and listed during the 1997 survey to find items of historical interest.
The files listed below comprise primarily the files of J A Boxhall, Secretary from 1971-1986, when he retired due to ill-health. He was replaced temporarily by H F Patterson. In 1987 a new Administrative Secretary, D E Phillips, was appointed.
Miss Muriel Anderson has been Assistant Librarian at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies since 1981.
The Legal Skills Research Group (LSRG) was formed in 1989 as a collective enterprise by some of the country's leading researchers into the skills needed for the study and practice of the law. The Group intended that it should act as a resource for professional legal and judicial bodies, users of legal services and institutions providing legal education at all levels, by: doing original research on legal skills; monitoring and evaluating current and completed research in the field; developing and evaluating curricula for the teaching of legal skills and providing information and consultancy services. The Group was housed at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (IALS) from 1989-1997 and funded by the Higher Education Funding Council. It comprises teachers from law schools throughout the country. It has held annual symposia and regular lunchtime seminars, commencing in July 1990, on various subjects. Most symposia papers have been published in IALS working papers. Subjects have included teaching of ethics, incompetence at the Bar, teaching alternative dispute resolution and evaluation of the Bar Vocational Course. The Group has also undertaken various special research projects, including a 5 year study commencing in 1989 to develop a general methodology for assessing legal skills. Later projects included developing methods for applying the theoretical findings of year 1 of the legal skills project and the development of training videos.
Dr S B (Stan) Marsh (1926-1998) was a barrister and law teacher. After three and a half years' war service in the Royal Navy he graduated BCom from the University of London in 1949 and DipEd from Leicester University in 1950; he then taught at Leicester College of Technology from 1950-1956. During this time he obtained his LL.B from the University of London, and was called to the Bar of Gray's Inn in 1958. He was Head of the Commerce Department at Peterborough Technical College from 1956-1958 and Head of the Department of Business and Secretarial Studies at Manchester College of Commerce in 1958. From the latter Department grew the Department of Law, subsequently incorporated into Manchester Polytechnic. Dr Marsh's first foray into research in legal education was his thesis for a higher degree, for which he was awarded a PhD at Leicester University in 1956. This research was later continued in association with Professor John Wilson of Southampton University and then with Dr Julia Bailey, then lecturing at Manchester. Dr Marsh served as a member of the Lord Chancellor's Committee on Legal Education (the Ormrod Committee) and the Advisory Committee on Legal Education set up by the Inns of Court and the Law Society. He was the founding Chairman of the Association of Law Teachers from 1965-1967 and President from 1989-1996. Publications: The Association of Law Teachers; the First 25 Years (ALT, 1990).
James Read graduated in Law from the University of London in 1953 and qualified as a barrister in 1954. He has been Assistant Lecturer in law at University College London (1956-1958), Lecturer in African Law, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) (1958-1965), Senior Lecturer in Law, the University College, Dar-es-Salaam (1963-1966), Reader in African Law, SOAS (1964-1975) and Professor of Comparative Public Law with special reference to Africa at SOAS from 1974. Professor Read was Joint Honorary Secretary of the United Kingdom National Committee of Comparative Law (1969-1973), Honorary Secretary of the Society of Public Teachers of Law (SPTL) (1972-1975) and Chairman of the Commonwealth Legal Education Association (1977-1983). He was also a member of the Advisory Committee on Legal Education from its inception in 1971 until 1975, representing the SPTL.
The Records of Legal Education Archives (RLEA) was established to provide a home for legal education records, for which there was no alternative place of custody. It was created as part of the Records of Legal Education Project, a research study undertaken in 1996, conducted with the support of the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (IALS). The RLEA consists of a collection of papers of individuals and organisations prominent in the field of legal education, and is held at IALS.
The Records of Legal Education Project (RLEP), funded by the Leverhulme Trust, ran from October 1994 to May 1998. It was based at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (IALS), and its brief was to: investigate records of legal education housed in selected institutions, primarily in the Greater London area, and report on their availability, accessibility and significance; create a Guide to Records of Legal Education and Law Schools to enable researchers to trace the location of documents of relevance; publish and disseminate its findings to assist researchers in law, the humanities and the social sciences; exceptionally, collect, maintain and make available for research records of legal education where the creating/controlling agency was unable to make any alternative archival provision. This material was placed in a Records of Legal Education Archives located in the IALS Library. Research was concentrated on institutions and records in the Greater London area, since this is a) where the highest proportion of legal education material was to be found; b) where the project was physically located. The project's resources were too limited to go further afield. The project was co-ordinated by Clare Cowling, an Archivist employed on a part-time basis, under the direction of an Advisory Committee comprising Jules Winterton, the IALS Librarian, Avrom Sherr, Woolf Professor of Legal Education at IALS, David Sugarman, Professor of Law at the University of Lancaster and William Twining, Quain Professor of Jurisprudence at University College London until 1998. The Project was based in the IALS Library and was granted use of its facilities.
The Society for Advanced Legal Studies (SALS), established in 1997, is the successor body to the Friends of the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (IALS). The Friends was established in 1989 to foster the interests of the IALS which holds what is in effect the UK's national law library and which is at the centre of legal research. SALS is a learned society consisting of scholars, practitioners and those involved in the administration of justice from the UK and around the world. Its objectives are to promote and facilitate legal research at an advanced level and in particular to engender greater collaboration between scholars and those involved in the practice of law. The Society seeks to achieve these objectives through a number of initiatives including organising and supporting specialised working groups, lectures and conferences. The Constitution of the SALS provides for an Advisory Council of persons drawn from academia, practitioners and the judiciary from the UK and overseas. During its first year there is a transitional executive committee, chaired by the Director of IALS, and an interim advisory council.
Following the disappearance of the old non-statutory Lord Chancellor's Advisory Committee, there was no longer any forum in which those responsible for the provision of legal education could discuss matters of common concern; nor was there any regular machinery for communication between the world of legal education and the new statutory Lord Chancellor's Advisory Committee on Legal Education and Conduct (ACLEC). The then ACLEC Chairman, Lord Griffiths, therefore suggested the creation of a new forum in the shape of the Standing Conference on Legal Education (SCLE), and offered his own services as Chairman; meetings were also to be held at ACLEC. Financial support came from the Law Society and the Bar; an elected secretary was to carry out administrative work. The Conference meets six monthly: representatives include both the practising professions and academic lawyers. It consists of 22 members nominated by the legal profession and by the main providers of legal education; these include the Bar, the Law Society, Inns of Court School of Law, Inns of Court and Bar Educational Trust (formerly Council of Legal Education), the College of Law, the Association of Law Teachers, the Society of Public Teachers of Law, the Heads of University Law Schools, Legal Education and Training Group, Institute of Legal Executives, ACLEC and the Lord Chancellor's Department. The Conference offers advice and assistance to ACLEC; no formal links between the two have been created as the attendance of meetings by the ACLEC Chairman and Secretary has rendered this unnecessary.
According to a statement of ethical practice in the Socio-Legal Studies Association's 1995 Directory of Members, socio-legal studies may be defined as embracing "disciplines and subjects concerned with the social effects of the law, legal processes, institutions and services". SLSA was established to promote and support the work of socio-legal scholars, to facilitate the regular exchange of ideas and information and to represent the socio-legal research interest in discussions with other bodies. SLSA grew out of an informal group of academics that met at annual conferences to discuss matters of interest. In 1988 it was decided that the group needed a higher profile, and a conference was arranged in Oxford which was attended by over 100 people. The success of the conference permitted another to be held in Edinburgh in 1989, at which the proposal was made to create a formal Association. A Steering Committee was set up to formally establish the SLSA at the 1990 conference in Bristol, using some funds from various law faculties and from the Nuffield Foundation. A newsletter was first published in March 1989; in 1990 an editor was appointed to produce a regular newsletter. Chairs of SLSA are as follows: 1990-1993 Professor Hazel Genn; 1993-1996 Professor Martin Partington; 1996-date Professor Sally Wheeler.
The Society of Public Teachers of Law (SPTL) was founded in 1908 by Dr Edward Jenks, the then Principal and Director of Studies of the Law Society. Rule 2 of the Society states that "The objects of the society shall be the furtherance of the cause of legal education in England and Wales, and of the work and interests of public teachers of law therein by holding discussions and enquiries, by publishing documents, and by taking other steps as may from time to time be deemed desirable" (see A.SPTL 6: List of Members and Rules 1910 p.9). The Society was to consist of a) ordinary members (any public teacher of law in England and Wales) and b) honorary members (any past teacher of law, overseas teacher of law or person who has "conferred important benefits on the Society or on legal education") (Ibid. Rule 6, p.11). The Society's affairs were to be managed by a General Committee, whose officers were to consist of a President, Vice-President, Treasurer and Honorary Secretary. Other Committee members were to comprise one member for each university conferring degrees in law, and one member for each body conferring professional qualifications in law. Thus all branches of legal education would be represented. Since its inception, the SPTL has acted to improve the quality of legal education and research through publishing reports, setting up working parties, putting forward submissions, holding conferences and producing journals and newsletters on matters relevant to legal education. Its representation on the different law teaching bodies in England and Wales has meant that it has operated with great effectiveness as a pressure group for change.
In 2002 the Society of Public Teachers of Law was renamed as the Society of Legal Scholars. Further information about the Society can be found in Fiona Cownie and Raymond Cocks. "A Great and Noble Occupation!": The History of the Society of Legal Scholars. Hart Publishing, 2009 (available in the IALS Library and as SPTL 25/10)
William Lawrence Twining (b 1934) has had a long and distinguished career in law teaching and has been involved in many projects relating to legal education. He was educated at Charterhouse School, Brasenose College, Oxford, and the University of Chicago. He has been Lecturer in Private Law at the University of Khartoum (1958-1961), Senior Lecturer in Law at University College, Dar-es-Salaam (1961-1965), Professor of Jurisprudence at the Queen's University, Belfast (1965-1972) and Professor of Law at the University of Warwick (1972-1982). From 1983-1996 he was the Quain Professor of Jurisprudence at University College London. Other activities have included membership of the Committee on Legal Education in Northern Ireland (1972-1974), presidency of the Society of Public Teachers of Law (1978-1979) and of the UK Society for Legal and Social Philosophy (1980-1983), chairmanship of the Bentham Committee (1982-) and of the Commonwealth Legal Education Association (1983-1993).
Publications: How to do things with rules with David Miers (1976); editor of Law publishing and legal information: small jurisdictions of the British Isles with Jennifer Uglow (1981); Theories of evidence: Bentham and Wigmore (c1985); editor of Legal theory and common law (1986); editor of Essays on Kelsen with Richard Tur (1986); editor of Learning lawyers' skills with Neil Gold and Karl Mackie (1989); editor of Access to legal education and the legal profession with Rajeev Dhavan and Neil Kibble (1989); Rethinking evidence: exploratory essays (1990); editor of Issues of self-determination (1991); Analysis of evidence: how to do things with facts with Terence Anderson (1991); editor of Evidence and proof with Alex Stein (1992); joint editor of Legal Records in the Commonwealth with Emma Varnden Quick (Aldershot, Dartmouth, 1994); Blackstone's tower: the English law school (1994); Law in context: enlarging a discipline (1997); edited the Law in Context series and the Jurists' series.
The United Kingdom National Committee of Comparative Law (UKNCCL) was probably established in 1956 (earliest colloquium recorded in the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies Library). Its object is to advance education by promoting and encouraging the study of Comparative law. Its membership is open to law schools that provide for the teaching of Comparative law, and institutions and organisations that are concerned with the promotion of the comparative study of law. It arranges regular colloquia on Comparative law; most colloquia papers have been published. The Committee is run by a Council overseen by an elected Chairman. Business is carried out by two joint honorary secretaries and a treasurer.
Born in Kingston-upon-Thames, 1913; moved to Brentford, c1919; enrolled as a full-time student at the Engineering School, Regent Street Polytechnic, 1927; participated in sporting activities there; gained a Ordinary National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, 1930; employed in engineering; continued part-time education at Acton Technical College; Higher National Diploma, 1934; married Mary Eileen Senton, 1937; graduate member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, 1939; associate member, 1940; served with the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, later Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, during World War Two; in India, 1942-1945; emigrated to Australia, 1951; retired, 1974; moved to New Zealand, 1982.
Leslie William Alfred Baily was born in 1906; worked as a broadcaster and writer and died in 1976.
Marian Henrietta Hewlett (1843-1915) decided to begin art and domestic science classes for girls in Harrow in 1887. Under the auspices of the Harrow Band of Mercy, premises were rented at no 102 High Street in 1888, and public funding (for technical education) was received from Middlesex County Council from 1890 (and from 1894 its Technical Education Committee). Boys were also admitted. Students were drawn from Harrow and the surrounding districts. A new building for Harrow Technical School opened at Greenhill, in Station Road, in 1902 (extended in 1907 and 1932). Teaching included art, photography, commercial and domestic subjects, particularly in evening classes. The School of Art was increasingly important. Many of the instructors were part-time. The name was changed to Harrow Technical College and School of Art in 1948. The first building on a 25-acre site at Northwick Park (acquired in 1936) was begun in 1954, completed in 1959 and formally opened in 1961. It housed the technical and commercial departments (Engineering, Science, Photography, Commerce, and Domestic Studies) - the School of Art did not move from Station Road until later. Following the White Paper on Technical Education in 1956 (Cmnd 9703) Harrow was designated an area college. From the 1960s alterations were made in Harrow courses and status under the Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA), with more degree-level courses and an increased number of full-time and part-time day students and staff. Links were formed with polytechnics including PCL (the Polytechnic of Central London, formerly Regent Street Polytechnic). Harrow specialisms included photography, fashion and ceramics. Additions were made to the buildings at Northwick Park in the 1970s. In 1978 the college was renamed Harrow College of Higher Education. In 1990 Harrow merged with PCL, which in 1992 became the University of Westminster. The Harrow campus was re-developed to house Harrow Business School, Harrow School of Computer Science, and the Schools of Communication and Design and Media (now the School of Communication and the Creative Industries). It was formally opened in 1995.