Mostrar 15888 resultados

Registo de autoridade

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

Queen Elizabeth College Registry

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

King's College of Household and Social Science opened in 1928 and evolved out of the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915. Queen Elizabeth College replaced King's College of Household and Social Science, receiving its Royal Charter in 1954, and prevailed until 1985 when it merged with King's College London and Chelsea College.

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915, and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

King's College of Household and Social Science

King's College of Household and Social Science opened in 1928 and evolved from the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915. Queen Elizabeth College replaced King's College of Household and Social Science, receiving its Royal Charter in 1954; in 1985 the College merged with King's College London and Chelsea College.

Atkins , Sir , John , 1875-1963 , Knight , physician

Born, 1875; educated at Guy's Hospital, MB 1901; on staff of the Imperial Yeomanry Hospital, South Africa, 1901; returned to Guy's Hospital as Assistant House Surgeon and Clinical Assistant, [1902-1904]; Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, 1903; General Practitioner in West Kensington, 1904-1914; served on staff of Commander-in-Chief, Sir John French, 1914-1918; Assistant Director-General of the Army Medical Service; became interested in improving the teaching of domestic science and home economics and initiated a subscription campaign to provide for a hostel for such students in King's College for Women, 1911; a distinct department for women emerged in 1915; knighted (KCMG), 1919; became Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Department/College, 1922-1958; died, 1963.

Born 1943; educated at Framlingham College, Suffolk, 1953-1961; student of Physiology and Zoology at Queen Elizabeth College, University of London, 1962-1965; PhD London Hospital Medical College, 1965-1968; Lecturer in Physiology at Queen Elizabeth, 1968-1985, and at King's College London, 1985-1986, following the merger between QEC and KCL; Senior Lecturer in Physiology at King's, 1986-1991; Alumnus Relations Officer at King's, 1986-1991; moved to Australia and became Head of the Division of Anatomy and Physiology in the Faculty of Science, Queensland University of Technology, and is currently Associate Professor in the School of Life Sciences; author of numerous studies on haemostasis, fibrinolysis and many aspects of circulation and the mechanism of blood clotting, including Fibrinolysis (London, 1981). Also the author of The history of Queen Elizabeth College (London, 1986).

Dr Alice Mary Copping, born Stratford, New Zealand 1906; was educated at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, graduating with BSc, second class honours in Chemistry, 1925 and graduated as Master of Science,1926; awarded the Sarah Ann Rhodes scholarship from University of New Zealand enabling her to work under J. C. Drummond at University College London for two years, 1927 and awarded a BSc in Biochemistry and Physiology, 1927-1929.

Copping worked as temporary lecturer in nutrition at the School of Home Science, University of Otago, New Zealand, 1931; worked within Division of Nutrition at the Lister Institute of Public Health with Dame Harriett Chick, 1927-1931 continuing to work at the Lister Institute from 1932-1949 and was the editorial assistant of the periodical 'Nutrition Abstracts and Reviews', from 1931. Copping was employed by Queen Elizabeth College from 1949 as a lecturer in the Physiology Department; became a recognised teacher in physiology (nutrition), 1951; senior lecturer in Department of Nutrition, from 1958; granted a DSc for published papers in the field of nutrition; became a Reader in Nutrition, 1964; leaving the college in 1975.

Copping was appointed as a member of Vitamin E Sub Committee of Medical Research Council Accessory Food Factors Committee, 1938 and appointed member of the Vitamin C Sub Committee, 1945; was a consultant on nutrition education for the Food and Agriculture Organisation/World Health Organisation symposium, 1959 and acted as chairman of programme for the Third International Congress of Dietetics in London, 1961. Copping was particularly interested in vitamins, food consumption patterns in various countries, nutrition programmes, child growth and the history of nutrition, including the Nutrition Society and died in 1996.

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

Queen Elizabeth College, so called from 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

Queen Elizabeth College has its origins in the lectures for Ladies first arranged in 1878 by King's College London, and a formalised Ladies Department was founded in 1881. The King's College London (Transfer) Act of 1908 led to the establishment of the college as King's College for Women, governed by a Delegacy of the University of London. In 1915, all the departments excepting the Household and Social Science Department amalgamated with King's College, and in 1928 the department became a School of the University of London as King's College of Household and Social Science. In 1953 the College was granted a new charter as Queen Elizabeth College, and in 1985 merged with King's College London and Chelsea College. Following the merger the personnel functions of all three colleges were integrated in a single department which took responsibility for the staff and reported to the College Secretary.

Queen Elizabeth College, so called from 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

Queen Elizabeth College, which came into being with the granting of a Royal Charter in 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

A library existed from the earliest days of the Ladies Department of King's College London in Kensington Square. It was enlarged on the creation of King's College for Women, and in the later Household and Social Science Department at Campden Hill. It was bombed during the Second World War and some 3000 volumes were salvaged from the ruins and these formed the nucleus of the post-war Library. These were deposited in a main, general, library, and in subject-specific departmental collections. Following the opening of the Atkins Buildings extension during the 1960s, the main Library was housed in two separate buildings on site: the Sargeaunt and Burton libraries. Their capacity was strictly limited, however, and a new purpose built library was proposed during the 1970s. This plan was dropped when merger negotiations between Queen Elizabeth and King's College commenced shortly afterwards. The Queen Elizabeth Library was eventually combined with the King's Library holdings from 1985 onwards.

Queen Elizabeth College, so called from 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. A Vice-Principal headed King's College Women's Department; a Warden led King's College for Women, the Department of Household and Social Science and, until 1945, King's College of Household and Social Science. After 1945 the head was known as the Principal. The amalgamation of Queen Elizabeth College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

The Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women first opened in 1915. In 1928 it became completely independent of the rest of the College and a School of the University of London, known as King's College of Household and Social Science University of London. In 1953 a Royal Charter was granted and the name changed to Queen Elizabeth College. In 1985 the College merged with King's College London and Chelsea College creating King's College London (KQC).

Queen Elizabeth College, so called from 1953, succeeded the Home Science and Economics classes of King's College Women's Department and King's College for Women, which started in 1908; the Household and Social Science Department of King's College for Women, which opened in 1915; and King's College of Household and Social Science, which operated from 1928. The amalgamation of the College with King's College London and Chelsea College was completed in 1985.

Queen Elizabeth College Department of Physiology

Physiology was taught from 1885 in the early lectures of the Ladies' Department, King's College London. In 1913 the first full-time appointment in Physiology was made at the then King's College for Women. From 1942 it was known as the Department of Physiology and Dietetics, then in 1954 a separate Department of Nutrition was formed. In 1985, when Queen Elizabeth College merged with King's College London and Chelsea College, the Department of Physiology became part of the Faculty of Life Sciences and for a while continued to be based on the Kensington site, as well as the Strand. It is currently known as the Division of Physiology, part of the GKT School of Biomedical Sciences.

Royal Herbert Hospital

The Royal Herbert Hospital, Woolwich, accumulated case notes in the conduct of its business.

Environmental Research Group

The Environmental Research Group (ERG) is part of the School of Biomedical and Health Sciences at King's College London and is a leading provider of air quality information and research in the UK. In 1993, ERG created the London Air Quality Network (LAQN) in conjunction with the London Boroughs and Regional Health Authorities - this was the UK's first regional monitoring network. LAQN compiles information about air quality in and around Greater London. Measurements are collected either hourly or twice daily from continuous monitoring sites, processed and checked then placed on the LAQN website with an hourly update, which shows the latest pollution levels across the capital.

St Francis Hospital Nursing School

Constance Road Workhouse, East Dulwich was built for the Camberwell Board of Guardians. The Workhouse was opened in 1895, three years after the foundation stone was laid, with 898 inmates. It became the Constance Road Infirmary / Institution and specialised in caring for the deserving poor, mentally ill and handicapped people, the elderly and unmarried mothers. The Infirmary came under he control of the London County Council in 1930, and in 1936 was renamed St Francis Hospital.
In 1948, when the National Health Service Act came into operation, the St Francis Hospital came under the administrative control of Camberwell Hospital Management Committee, which included St Giles and Dulwich Hospitals. In 1966 St Francis Hospital joined the King's College Teaching Hospital Group. This resulted in St Francis Hospital Nursing School being merged with King's College Hospital Nursing School.
Following the re-organisation of the NHS, St Francis became part of Camberwell Health Authority in 1974. It became Dulwich Hospital North Wing in 1984, closing in 1991. The buildings were demolished in 1993.

St Giles Hospital

St Giles Hospital was founded as Camberwell Workhouse Infirmary in 1875. In 1913 it became Camberwell Parish Infirmary. In 1929 a Local Government Act transferred the care of Poor Law hospitals to the local County Councils, who were also given responsibility for the sick in their area. London County Council took over the parish of St Giles. In 1948, when the National Health Service Act came into operation, the St Giles Hospital, (as it had become), came under the administrative control of Camberwell Hospital Management Committee, which included St Francis and Dulwich Hospitals. In 1966 St Giles Hospital joined the King's College Teaching Hospital Group. St Giles Hospital case notes were compiled in the conduct of its business.

St Giles Hospital Nursing School

St Giles Hospital was founded as Camberwell Workhouse Infirmary in 1875. In 1913 it became Camberwell Parish Infirmary. In 1929 a Local Government Act transferred the care of Poor Law hospitals to the local County Councils, who were also given responsibility for the sick in their area. London County Council took over the parish of St Giles. In 1948, when the National Health Service Act came into operation, the St Giles Hospital, (as it had become), came under the administrative control of Camberwell Hospital Management Committee, which included St Francis and Dulwich Hospitals. In 1966 St Giles Hospital joined the King's College Teaching Hospital Group. This resulted in St Giles Hospital Nursing School being merged with King's College Hospital Nursing School.

Born in London, 1835; educated at King's College School (where the Anglo-Saxon scholar Thomas Oswald Cockayne was his form-master) and Highgate School; entered Christ's College, Cambridge, 1854; studied theology and mathematics; took the mathematical tripos (fourteenth wrangler), 1858; elected a fellow of Christ's College, 1860; took orders, 1860; curate of East Dereham, Norfolk, 1860; curate of Godalming, but illness ended his career in the church; returned to Cambridge and was appointed lecturer in mathematics, Christ's College, 1864; Fellow of Christ's College; began the serious study of Early English; following the foundation of the Early English Text Society (1864) by Frederick James Furnivall and Richard Morris, Skeat produced editions of texts; founder and president of the English Dialect Society, 1873-1896; elected to the new Elrington and Bosworth professorship of Anglo-Saxon, Cambridge, 1878; in his later years, pursued the systematic study of place-names; Fellow of the British Academy; died in Cambridge, 1912. Publications (as editor and author): Songs and Ballads of Uhland (1864); Lancelot of the Laik (1865); Parallel Extracts from MSS of Piers Plowman (1866); Romance of Partenay (1866); A Tale of Ludlow Castle (1866); Langland's Piers Plowman (in four parts, 1867-1884); Pierce the Plowman's Creed (1867, new edition 1906); William of Palerne (1867); The Lay of Havelok (1868, new edition 1902); A Moeso-Gothic Glossary (1868); Piers Plowman, Prologue and Passus I-VII (1869, 1874, 1879, 1886, 1889, 1891, etc); John Barbour's The Bruce (in four parts, 1870-1889; another edition, Scottish Text Society, 1893-1895); Joseph of Arimathæa (1871); Chatterton's Poems (2 volumes, 1871, 1890); Specimens of English from 1394 to 1597 (1871, 1879, 1880, 1887, 1890, etc); The four Gospels, in Anglo-Saxon and Northumbrian (1871-1887); in conjunction with Dr Morris, Specimens of Early English from 1298 to 1393 (1872, 1873, 1894, etc); Chaucer's Treatise on the Astrolabe (1872); Questions in English Literature (1873, 1887); Seven Reprinted Glossaries (1873); Chaucer, The Prioress's Tale, etc (1874, 1877, 1880, 1888, 1891, etc); Seven (other) Reprinted Glossaries (1874); Ray's Collection of English Words not generally used, with rearrangements (1874); Fletcher's The Two Noble Kinsmen (1875); Shakespeare's Plutarch (1875); Five Original Provincial Glossaries (1876); A List of English Words, compared with Icelandic (1876); Chaucer, The Man of Lawes Tale, etc (1877, 1879, 1889, etc); with J H Nodal, Bibliographical List of Works in English Dialects (1873-1877); Alexander and Dindymus (1878); Wycliffe's New Testament (1879); Five Reprinted Glossaries (1879); Specimens of English Dialects (1879); Wycliffe's Job, Psalms, etc (1881); Ælfric's Lives of Saints (in four parts, 1881-1900); The Gospel of St Mark in Gothic (1882); Edwin Guest, History of English Rhythms (new edition by Skeat,1882); Fitzherbert's Book of Husbandry (1882); An Etymological Dictionary of the English Language (in four parts, 1879-1882, 2nd edition, 1884, 3rd edition, 1898, 4th edition, 1910); A Concise Etymological Dictionary of the English Language (1882, 1885, 1887, 1890; new editions (rewritten), 1901, 1911); The Tale of Gamelyn (1884); The Kingis Quair (1884); The Wars of Alexander (1886); Principles of English Etymology, First Series (1887, 1892); in conjunction with A L Mayhe, A Concise Dictionary of Middle English (1888); Chaucer, The Minor Poems (1888, 1896); Chaucer, The Legend of Good Women (1889); Principles of English Etymology, Second Series (1891); Chaucer, Prologue to the Canterbury Tales (1891, 1895); A Primer of English Etymology (1892, 1895); Twelve Facsimiles of Old English Manuscripts (1892); Chaucer, House of Fame (1893); Complete Works of Geoffrey Chaucer (6 volumes, 1894); The Student's Chaucer (1895); Nine Specimens of English Dialects (1895); Two Collections of Derbycisms, by S Pegge (1896); A Student's Pastime (1896) (Skeat's autobiography); Chaucerian Pieces (volume vii of Chaucer's Works) (1897); The Chaucer Canon (1900); Notes on English Etymology (1901); The Place-names of Cambridgeshire (1901); The Place-names of Huntingdonshire (1903); The Place-names of Hertfordshire (1904); A Primer of Classical and English Philology (1905); The Place-names of Bedfordshire (1906); The Proverbs of Alfred (1907); Chaucer's Poems in Modern English (6 volumes, 1904-1908); Piers the Plowman in Modern English (1905); Early English Proverbs (1910); The Place-names of Berkshire (1911); contributions to the Philological Society's Transactions.

Born, 1858; educated at Tonbridge School; St John's College, Cambridge (Foundation Scholar); 1st Class Classical Tripos, 1881; Cambridge University Extension Lecturer; Professor of English Literature, Firth College, Sheffield, 1896; retained this post in the University of Sheffield, 1905-1924; Emeritus Professor of English Language and Literature in the University of Sheffield; Honorary Fellow of St John's College, Cambridge; Fellow of the British Academy, 1933; died, 1940. See also John Dover Wilson, George Charles Moore Smith 1858-1940 (from the Proceedings of the British Academy; Humphrey Milford, London, [1945]). Publications: The Life of John Colborne, Field-Marshal Lord Seaton (1903); Story of the People's College, Sheffield (1912); College Plays (1923); Thomas Randolph (Warton Lecture, 1927); as editor, Autobiography of Lieutenant-General Sir Harry Smith (1902); Gabriel Harvey's Marginalia (1913); Henry Tubbe (1915); The Letters of Dorothy Osborne to William Temple (1928); The Early Essays and Romances of Sir William Temple (1930); Henry V (1896); King John (1900); Edward III (1897); Bacon's New Atlantis (1900); the Cambridge Plays: Club Law (1907), Pedantius (1905), Victoria (1906), Hymenæus (1908), Fucus (1909), Laelia (1910); Hemminge's Elegy on Randolph's Finger (1923); The Poems of Lord Herbert of Cherbury (1923); The Queen Bee, The Old Post (translated from the Danish of Carl Ewald, 1907, 1922); with Dr P H Reaney, The Withypoll Family (1936); contributions to the Modern Language Review, Notes and Queries, and The Genealogist. See also A bibliography of the writings of G C Moore Smith (printed for subscribers at Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1928).

Born in Perth, 1873; educated at Sharp's Educational Institution, Perth, and Robert Gordon's College and University, Aberdeen; graduated MA with First Class Honours in Classics and Jenkyns Prize in Classical Philology, Aberdeen University, 1893; Ferguson Scholar in Classics, 1893; Fullerton Scholar in Classics, 1894; Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge (Scholar); First Class in Classical Tripos, Part I, 1896, and Second Class, Part II, 1897; BA (Cambridge University), 1896; University Assistant in Humanity and Lecturer in Latin, 1897-1903, and Lecturer in Mediæval Palæography, Aberdeen University, 1903; DLitt (Aberdeen), 1905; Yates Professor of New Testament Greek and Exegesis and Librarian, Mansfield College Oxford, 1903-1911; MA (Oxford University), 1908; Regius Professor of Humanity, Aberdeen University, 1911-1937; Lecturer in Mediæval Palæography, Aberdeen University, 1913-1937; Curator of Aberdeen University Library, 1919-1924, 1927-1928; Vice-Chancellor, Aberdeen University, 1935-1936; Stone Lecturer, Princeton Theological Seminary, 1924-1925, 1927-1928; Norton Lecturer, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, USA, 1924-1925; Russell Lecturer, Auburn Theological Seminary, USA, 1932-1933; Doctor of Divinity, St Andrews, 1923, Dublin, 1932; MA (Cambridge University), 1930; Doctor of Laws (Aberdeen), 1938; Fellow of the British Academy, 1926 (Member of Council, 1938-1947); awarded British Academy Medal for Biblical Studies, 1932; Corresponding Fellow of the Mediæval Academy of America, 1938; Active Member of the New Society of Letters of Lund (Sweden) 1927; died, 1949. Publications: edited Horæ Latinæ, by the late Robert Ogilvie (1901); edited, with George Middleton, Livy Book xxviii (1902); De Codicibus Manuscriptis Augustini Quæstionum (1905); A Study of Ambrosiaster (1905); edited Pseudo-Augustini Quaestiones Veteris et Novi Testamenti cxxvii (1908); Novum Testamentum Graece (1910, second edition 1947); Text and Canon of the New Testament (1913); A Pocket Lexicon to the Greek New Testament (1916); Tertullian's Apology, Notes of the late Professor John E B Mayor (1917); Tertullian's Treatises translated (3 volumes, 1919, 1920, 1922); Pelagius's Expositions of Thirteen Epistles of St Paul, i: Introduction (1922), ii: Text (1926), iii: Appendix (1931); part author of Novum Testamentum S Irenaei by Sanday, Turner, etc (1923); editor of Tertulliani Apologeticus (1926); The Earliest Latin Commentaries on the Epistles of St Paul (1927); edited C H Turner's The Oldest Manuscript of the Vulgate Gospels (1931); Glossary of the later Latin (1948); papers in various classical and theological journals.

St Saviour's Infirmary Nursing School

St Saviour's Union Infirmary, Marlborough St, Southwark, was the parish workhouse of the St Saviour's Poor Law Union, Southwark, from 1834-1921. In 1869, the parishes of Southwark, St George the Martyr and Newington, St Mary were added to the St Saviour's Union, and in St Saviour's Union was renamed Southwark Union in 1901. In 1921 the Infirmary became known as Southwark Hospital and, ten years later, when London County Council took over the running of it, the Hospital was renamed Dulwich Hospital. In 1964, Dulwich Hospital joined King's College Hospital Group.

Not known.

Born, 1896; educated at Malvern College; called to the Bar, Gray's Inn, 1923; joined Lincoln's Inn, 1931; Bencher, Gray's Inn, 1942; knighted, 1943; OBE, 1943; Chief Justice, High Court, Bombay, 1943-1947; President, Commission of Inquiry, Bombay Explosions, 1944; Queen's Counsel, 1948; Vice-Chancellor, County Palatine of Lancaster, 1948-1963; Treasurer, Gray's Inn, 1956; Chairman of Departmental Committee on Hallmarking, 1956-1958; died, 1978.

St Thomas's Hospital

St Thomas's Hospital had its beginnings in the Priory of St Mary Overie, [1200], situated in Southwark. In 1212 the building was destroyed by fire, and was rebuilt as St Thomas's Hospital in 1215, dedicated to St Thomas à Becket. Until the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII, the Hospital of St Thomas the Martyr was an independent Augustinian House devoted to the care and cure of the sick poor. In 1540 the Hospital was closed and revenues forfeited. King Edward VI restored the Hospital in 1551, which was then known as the Hospital of King Edward VI and of St Thomas the Apostle, as Thomas à Becket, who had been canonized by Pope Alexander III, had by then been decanonized. The Hospital was rebuilt again in 1693. A piece of ground was rented from St Thomas's by Thomas Guy, and in 1722 he built a new Hospital, now known as Guy's. In this manner the `United Hospitals' of St Thomas's and Guy's came about, and the partnership existed from 1768 to 1825. The split between St Thomas's and Guy's occurred in 1825. The Nightingale School of Nursing, founded by Florence Nightingale, opened at St Thomas's Hospital in 1860. In 1919 the Nightingale School and the St John School merged, at first known as the Nursing Association of St John and St Thomas, until the two institutions rapidly integrated and identity was lost. In 1948 St Thomas's Hospital was managed by London Regional Hospital Board (Teaching), acting through a Hospital Management Committee. In 1974 St Thomas's District Health Authority (Teaching) was formed, under the Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham Area Health Authority (Teaching) which in 1982 became West Lambeth District Health Authority, and from 1993 became Guy's and St Thomas's Hospital National Health Service Trust. In 1993 the Nightingale School of Nursing of St Thomas's Hospital and Guy's Hospital, and Normanby College, combined to form the Nightingale Institute. The United Medical and Dental School (UMDS) of Guy's and St Thomas's merged with King's College London in 1998, leading to the Department of Nursing Studies at King's being amalgamated with the Nightingale Institute, with a consequent name change to the Florence Nightingale Division of Nursing and Midwifery. In 1999 the Division became the Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwifery.

University of London

The University of London was established in 1836 as a degree awarding body until its refoundation in 1900 when it adopted the federal structure of the modern teaching University. The Senate was the sole governing and executive body of the University until the creation of the Court under the terms of the University of London Act of 1926. The Senate retained authority over academic affairs, while the Court managed financial matters. The Senate is composed of senior representatives of the Schools, Colleges and Institutes that make up the University and is normally located in the University buildings at Bloomsbury, which were opened in 1936.

Not known.

Mattia Vento was born in Naples, 1735; studied at the Conservatorio di S Maria di Loreto, Naples; first operatic successes in Italy; Le deluse accortezze (1756) and La finta semplice (1759) produced at Rome; L'egiziana in Venice and Milan, 1763; went to England, 1763; active there as a composer and harpsichord teacher until his death; for the London opera, first produced the pasticcio Leucippo e Zenocrita, repeated in a command performance for the wedding of Princess Augusta (sister of George III), 1764; in succeeding seasons produced Demofoonte, 1765; Sofonisba, 1766; La conquista del Messico, 1767; also contributions to pasticcios; his aria Caro amor was successfully inserted in London performances of Piccinni's La buona figliuola, 1766; after a lapse of some years, produced Artaserse for the Harmonical Meeting, Soho Square, 1771; listed as a director at the King's Theatre, producing comic and serious operas (Il bacio, La vestale and further pasticcios), 1775-1776; also served as conductor at public concerts including those at the Pantheon; listed among the major composers in London by a visitor from Germany, 1776; criticisms included simplicity and a lack of novelty, but individual songs from the operas and the published sets were widely performed and reprinted in anthologies; other work included 11 collections of keyboard sonatas, most with subordinate violin accompaniments, criticised for their sameness, but which were retained in publishers' catalogues for half a century; the 65 sonatas date from 1764-1776; Vento brought to London from Naples the latest operatic style but changes in the sonatas suggest that he also responded to the contemporary pre-Classical synthesis of German, Italian and English elements; died in London, 1776. His oeuvre included the following instrumental works: 6 Sonatas (London, 1764); 6 Sonatas (London, c1764); 6 Sonatas (London, 1765); A Third (-Tenth) Book (Sett) of 6 Sonatas (London, 1766-76); 6 Overtures in 8 Parts (London, c1774); A Last Sett of 5 Sonatas (London, 1777).

Born Gloucester, 1802; moved to London, 1806; school in Vere Street, London, 1813; placed with uncle Charles, musical instrument maker, Strand, London, 1816; worked under father, William, musical instrument maker, 1818-1823; early demonstrations of experiments into acoustics and the transmission of sound, 1821; first paper published on 'New experiments in sound', in Annals of philosophy, 1823; inherited musical instrument business belonging to uncle, Charles, 1823; relocated business to Conduit Street, London, 1829; invented kaleidophone, 1826-1827; Michael Faraday delivers first lecture on sound on behalf of Wheatstone, Royal Institution, London, 1828; Wheatstone announces invention of concertina, 1830; invents stereoscope, 1830-1832; experiments to measure velocity of electricity, 1830-1837; Professor of Experimental Philosophy, King's College London, 1834-1875; work on electricity generation, [1834-1850]; lectures on sound at King's College London, 1836; Fellow of Royal Society, 1836; invents constant cell battery, [1836]; first patent on electric telegraph with William Fothergill Cooke, 1837; first public demonstration of stereoscope, Royal Society, 1838; installs five needle telegraph, Paddington to West Drayton, London, 1838-1839; work on improvements to electric telegraph, [1840-1845]; high point of work on polarisation of light, [1840-1870]; 'Wheatstone Bridge' invented, 1843; conducts earliest submarine telegraph cable experiment in Swansea Bay, 1844; invents iron core galvanometer, 1845; assists work of parliamentary Select Committee on Ordnance concerning electrical detonation devices, 1855; perfects first practical ABC telegraph, 1858; establishes Universal Private Telegraph Company, 1861; with Carl Wilhelm Siemens invents self-excited generator, 1867; knighted, 1868; died 1875. Publications: The scientific papers of Sir Charles Wheatstone (London, 1879).

Williams , William Samuel , fl 1895-1938 , author

London Diocesan Reader, from 1898; member of the Central Readers' Board, from [1912]; Honorary Secretary to the Readers' Board for the Diocese of London, from 1912. Publications: A Brief History of Readers and their Work in the Diocese of London, 1866-1926 (The Author, London, 1927); A History of the Reader Movement- "Lay Readers" in the Church of England (Parrett & Neves, Chatham, 1932); The Glorious Ministry of the Laity, in the early days of the Christian Church (Parrett & Neves, Chatham, 1936); The History of Acolytes and Servers and of what they have done for the Church down the centuries (Parrett & Neves, Chatham, 1938).

Born in London, 1886; educated at St Albans School and University College, London; joined Oxford University Press as a reader, 1908; remained a member of staff (as a literary advisor) until his death, working mainly in London; published his first book of verse, 1912; a prolific author, he continued to write and lecture until his death, producing anthologies, prefaces, reviews, and over thirty volumes of poetry, plays, literary criticism, fiction, biography and theological argument; associates included C S Lewis, T S Eliot and Dorothy Sayers; member of the Church of England; increasingly devoted his writings, particularly his novels, Arthurian poems, and literary and theological commentaries, to doctrines of romantic love (believing that the romantic approach could reveal objective truth) and the coinherence of all humans; abandoned the traditional form of his early verse; in recognition of two courses of lectures in wartime Oxford, awarded an honorary MA (University of Oxford), 1943; died at Oxford, 1945. See also C S Lewis's preface to Essays presented to Charles Williams (Oxford University Press, London, 1947). Publications: Poetry: The Silver Stair (1912); Poems of Conformity (1917); Divorce (1920); Windows of Night (1925); A Myth of Shakespeare (1929); Heroes and Kings (1930); Three Plays (1931); Thomas Cranmer of Canterbury (the Canterbury Festival play, 1936); Taliessin through Logres (1938); Judgement at Chelmsford (1939); The Region of the Summer Stars (1944). Prose: as editor, A Book of Victorian Narrative Verse (1927); Poetry at Present (1930); War in Heaven (1930); Introduction to Gerard Hopkins's Poems (2nd edition, 1930); Many Dimensions (1931); The Place of the Lion (1931); The Greater Trumps (1932); The English Poetic Mind (1932); Shadows of Ecstasy (1933); Bacon (1933); Reason and Beauty in the Poetic Mind (1933); James I (1934); Rochester (1935); Elizabeth (1936); New Book of English Verse (1935); Descent into Hell (1937); Henry VII (1937); He came down from Heaven (1937); Descent of the Dove (1939); Witchcraft (1941); The Forgiveness of Sins (1942); The Figure of Beatrice (1943); as editor, The Letters of Evelyn Underhill (1943); All Hallows' Eve (1944).

Wordsworth , John , 1843-1911 , Bishop of Salisbury

Born at Harrow, 1843; educated at Winchester, New College Oxford (MA), graduated with 1st class Moderations (Oxford), 1863 and 2nd class Literae Humaniores (Classics), 1865; Assistant Master, Wellington College, 1866; Fellow of Brasenose College Oxford, 1867; Craven Scholar, 1867; ordained, 1867; MA 1868; Prebendary of Lincoln, 1870; Select Preacher, 1876, 1888; Grinfield Lecturer, 1876-1878; Whitehall Preacher, 1879; Bampton Lecturer, 1881; Oriel Professor of Interpretation of Holy Scripture, Fellow of Oriel College, and Canon of Rochester, 1883-1885; Bishop of Salisbury, 1885-1911; died, 1911. Publications: include: Fragments and Specimens of Early Latin (Clarendon Press Series, 1866); University Sermons on Gospel Subjects (James Parker & Co, Oxford and London, 1878); The One Religion: truth, holiness and peace desired by the nations, and revealed by Jesus Christ. Eight lectures [the Bampton Lectures] (Parker & Co, Oxford, 1881); The Gospel according to St Matthew. From the St Germain MS, g, now numbered Lat. 11553 in the National Library at Paris editor (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1883); Portions of the Gospels according to St Mark and St Matthew from the Bobbio MS, k, now numbered G VII 15 in the National Library at Turin. Together with other fragments of the Gospels edited with William Sanday and Henry Julian White (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1886); Prayers for Use in College 2nd edition (1890); The Holy Communion. Four visitation addresses (Parker & Co, Oxford & London, 1891); Some recent Teachings concerning the Eucharistic Sacrifice (Elliot Stock, London, [1892]); Novum Testamentum Latine, secundum editionem S Hieronymi with Rev Henry Julian White; The Four Gospels (1898); The Episcopate of Charles Wordsworth, Bishop of St Andrews (Longmans & Co, London, 1899); Bishop Sarapion's Prayer-Book, an Egyptian Pontifical dated probably about AD 350-356 Translated from the edition of Dr G Wobbermin, with introduction, notes and indices (1899); Some Points in the teaching of the Church of England, set forth for the information of Orthodox Christians of the East, in the form of an answer to questions (Christian Knowledge Society, London, 1900); The Ministry of Grace. Studies in early Church History with reference to present problems (Longmans & Co, London, 1901); The Te Deum, its structure and meaning, and its musical setting and rendering; together with a revised Latin text, notes and translation (Christian Knowledge Society, London, 1902); Family Prayers (Brown & Co, Salisbury, 1903); The Acts (1904); The Law of the Church as to Marriage of a Man with his Deceased Wife's Sister (Christian Knowledge Society, London, 1908); The Invocation of Saints and the Twenty-second Article (Christian Knowledge Society, London, 1908); Ordination Problems (Christian Knowledge Society, London, 1909); Unity and Fellowship. Diocesan addresses delivered in the year 1909 (Christian Knowledge Society, London, Brighton, 1910).

Manoel II , 1889-1932 , King of Portugal

Manoel II was born in Lisbon, 1889, the second son of King Carlos I. He succeeded to the Portugese throne on 1 Feb 1908 following the assassination of his father and elder brother Prince Luiz.

Manoel sought to save the fragile position of the monarchy by dismissing the dictator Joao Franco and his entire cabinet in 1908. Free elections were declared in which republicans and socialists won an overwhelming victory. Revolution erupted on 4 Oct 1910 and Manoel fled to Britain.

While in exile he never gave up hope of regaining his throne, and this collection of documents contain a plan for the restoration of the monarchy and the formation of a new government.

In 1913 he married his cousin, Augusta Victoria, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. He died at Fullwell Park, Twickenham, Middlesex in 1932.

King's College London Department of Journalism

The University of London ran courses in journalism from around 1923. Study comprised a two-year diploma programme initially available at four participating institutions: University College, Bedford College, the London School of Economics and King's College, and comprising classes in practical journalism, composition, modern history and English Literature. Teaching was concentrated at King's College from 1935 under the directorship of Tom Clarke, former editor of the News chronicle, and teachers included Hugh Todd Naylor Gaitskell, lecturer in Political Economy at University College and the future Chancellor of the Exchequer. The course was suspended on the outbreak of war in September 1939 and never reinstated.

King's College Hospital Nurses' League

King's College Hospital opened in 1840, on a site at Lincoln's Inn Fields, London. In 1913 it moved to its present site at Denmark Hill, South London. In 1856, the Sisterhood of St John the Evangelist signed an agreement with King's College Hospital to provide all nursing and catering for the hospital. When this arrangement was terminated in 1885, the Committee of Management of the Hospital formed its own nursing staff, under Sister-Matron Katharine Monk. Monk reorganised the nursing department and founded the Training School of Nurses.
In 1916, five nurses who were leaving King's at that time decided to meet in five years time to renew friendship and exchange news. After that, they met annually until 1924, when they asked the Sister Matron if they could form a League. A small committee was established which was chaired by Miss M A Wilcox (Sister Matron). Its aims were to maintain links between nurses and their training school, and between past and present nurses; to uphold and forward the profession; to publish an annual magazine, and hold annual reunions. Twenty-eight members attended the first reunion of the Nurses' League on 6 Jun 1925.

Pyne , [Mary] , fl 1880 , nurse

Mary Pyne appears to have trained at the Florence Nightingale School of Nursing, and worked at Westminster Hospital, London.

Addison , Mary Winifred , fl 1928-1940 , nurse

Mary Winifred Addison trained at King's College Hospital, London, 1928-1931, (gaining General Nursing Council registration 1932) and subsequently served as a Sister there. On the outbreak of war, she became Sister Tutor to the Nurses Training Centre in Oxford, and during this time taught first aid to Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent (1906-1968).

Durham , Emma , [1848]-1936 , nurse

Emma Durham was born c.1848. She trained as a nurse at King's College Hospital (KCH), 1872-1875, residing at St John's House, Norfolk St, Strand.
Durham joined the Universities Mission to Central Africa, travelling to Zanzibar to inaugurate the first hospital there. She also nursed in Egypt, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland, Russia and America. She was a foundation member of the KCH Nurses League, 1924. Durham died at KCH, 31 Oct 1936, aged 89.
Emma had two elder sisters, one of which was Eliza Durham, who also trained as nurses. Publications: Recollections of a Nurse, Macmillan & Co.: London, 1889.

Hasler , Irene Rose , fl 1929-1931 , nurse

Irene Rose Hasler trained as a nurse at King's College Hospital from 1929-1931, gaining General Nursing Council registration in 1931.

Herbert , Julia Ashbourne (Daisy) , born 1881 , nurse

Julia Ashbourne Herbert was born at Brighton on 26 Mar 1881, the daughter of F A Herbert. She trained as a nurse at King's College Hospital, and in 1912, joined the Territorial Force Nursing Service (TFNS). At the outbreak of World War One, Herbert was employed at the Royal Free Hospital, Gray's Inn Rd, London. In August 1914, she joined her TFNS unit - the 4th Northern General Hospital, Lincoln, where she worked until Mar 1917.
In 1917 Herbert volunteered for service in the field and was posted to the No.35 General Hospital at Calais, France, from Mar 1917-Aug 1918, then to the No1 Casualty Clearing Station near Arras and Mons, until demobilised, Mar 1919.
Herbert was mentioned in despatches, 7 Nov 1917, and awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous devotion to duty after being wounded in the head by an aerial bomb. She received three blue service chevrons, and the British War Medal, 1914-1919; and The Victory Medal with oak leaf emblem.
Herbert later joined the Society of St Margaret, East Grinstead, a Church of England religious community, where she was known as Sister Julian.

HOBBS , Joan (Sister Jane) , [1912]-2003 , nurse and tutor

Joan Hobbs trained initially as a kindergarten teacher, and taught for a number of years, before training as a midwife and general nurse at King's College Hospital between 1934 and 1937, gaining General Nursing Council registration in 1937. She later trained as a Nurse Tutor, and was involved in establishment of King's College Hospital unit at Horton during World War Two.
Hobbs held the post of Matron at Warwick Hospital before retiring to Worthing. She died on 21 Jul 2003, aged 95.

Hunt , [Eva Knightley] , fl 1920-1937 , nurse

E K Hunt trained in nursing at King's College Hospital, 1920-1923, gaining General Nursing Council registration in Jun 1925. In 1940, she was resident at Hydon Heath, Godalming, Surrey.
Amy Katherine Bullock, trained at King's College Hospital, 1923-1927, gaining General Nursing Council registration in 1927.

Jones , Mary , 1813-1887 , nursing sister

Mary Jones was born in Tamworth, Staffordshire, 1813, the daughter of Robert Jones, cabinet maker. In 1853, she was elected as Superintendent of St John's House, London. Here she undertook to train and dispatch parties of Sisters and nurses to serve under Florence Nightingale in the Crimea. St John's flourished under her management, and in 1856, took over nursing at King's College Hospital, Sister Mary becoming the Sister-in-Charge. In 1866, St John's accepted a nursing contract with Charing Cross Hospital, London, and Sister Mary was also Sister-in-Charge there. In 1868, she resigned from St John's. With a number of other sisters, she founded a new Community known as the Sisterhood of St Mary and St John, located initially at 5 Mecklenberg St, moving to Percy House, Percy Circus, near King's Cross in 1868. In 1872/3, the sisterhood, with Mary as Mother Superior, moved to 30 Kensington Square, and founded the St Joseph's Hospital for Incurables. She contracted typhoid fever and died on 3 Jun 1887.