Mostrando 15888 resultados

Registro de autoridad
University of London , Accountant

Until 1901 the Registrar as Treasurer of the University was responsible for financial matters. By 1898 the Assistant Clerk to the Senate who was responsible for compiling accounts assisted him in this duty. After the reconstitution of 1901 an Accounts Department was formed which initially comprised one accountant who reported to the Finance and General Purposes Committee. After the reconstitution of 1928 the accountant reported to both the Court and Finance and General Purposes Committee.

The Accountant's Department was amalgamated in 1977 with the Management Systems Department to form the two divisions of the Department of accounting and Administrative Computing. In 1982 the two divisions of the Department of Accounting and Administrative Computing were separated to become independent divisions of the Court Department. On 1 October 1985 the Accounting and Management Systems Division ceased to be part of the Court Department and from that date reported to the Principal through the Clerk of the Senate.

The British Postgraduate Medical Federation (BPMF) was established by the Senate of the University of London in April 1945, was granted incorporation by Royal Charter in March 1947 and was admitted as a school of the University in December 1947. The Royal Charter stated that the BPMF would "provide opportunity for the advancement in general medicine or in any of the special branches thereof and by arranging lectures and demonstrations or otherwise promote the investigation of disease".

The BPMF was established as a result of the Goodenough report (1944), which recommended the reorganisation of the British Postgraduate Medical School at Hammersmith and its reconstitution as a federal organisation. The first Director of the Federation, Sir Francis Fraser, was instrumental in taking forward the Goodenough report's recommendation that the federation should constitute a series of institutes in each of the principal special subjects of medicine, based on a leading teaching hospital. The Federation included medical research institutes such as the Institute of Cancer Research, Institute of Child Health, Institute of Dental Surgery, National Heart and Lung Institute, Institute of Neurology, Institute of Ophthalmology and Institute of Psychiatry.

The Tomlinson report (1992) recommended that the institutes supervised by the BPMF should instead be attached to the multi-faculty Colleges within the University of London. As a result, the BPMF ceased operations on 31st July 1996.

In 1852 Thomas Brown bequeathed a sum of money to the University for founding, ' an Institution for investigating, studying and endeavouring to cure maladies, distempers and injuries, any Quadrupeds or Birds useful to man may be found subject to.' The Senate allowed funds from the bequest to accumulate for nineteen years and in 1871 with a total sum of £33, 800 built the Brown Institution in Battersea.

The management of the Institution was under the control of a committee, which was responsible to the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Fellows of the University of London. The Committee of Management consisted of the Vice-Chancellor, not less than six members of the Senate, 'medical men'. The Committee was required to frame bye-laws, rules and regulations, govern the finances for the maintenance of the Institution, regulate the conditions of reception of the animals and the purchase of diseased animals for the promotion of science. The business of the institution was under the direction and control of the superintendent and was conducted in two departments, the Hospital and the Laboratory.

In the Hospital, where sick animals were treated, the Superintendent had the aid of a qualified veterinary surgeon. In the Laboratory research on animal diseases, animal physiology, surgical procedures and animal nutrition was conducted under the direction of the Superintendent. Scientific investigations were also undertaken for public bodies and institutions. These included The Royal Society, The Local Government Board and The Veterinary Department of the Army. Under the terms of Thomas Brown's Will the Professor Superintendent was obliged to give at least five lectures a year in English free to the public.

At the outbreak of the Second World War the hospital was closed owing to the departure of the Veterinary Assistant for the Army. In 1940 and 1943 the Institution sustained bomb damage. Further damage was incurred in February 1944 by flying bombs. The final destruction of the buildings occurred on 20 July 1944. This marked the end of the Institution's working life. After the War, the London County Council made a compulsory purchase order for the site where the Institution stood and in 1953 paid the University of London £4 700 for it. By that time it had been decided not to rebuild the Institution.

After twenty-five years of legal wrangling it was decided that the Trust Fund should be divided into two and it was shared between the University of London and Trinity College, Dublin. The income from the London share was used to maintain a Fellowship in veterinary pathology at the Royal Veterinary College.

The Botanical Supply Unit was established in 1950. It was sited on land belonging to Royal Holloway College and was managed by them. It was administered on behalf of the University by the Council of the College and closed in the early 1990's.

The University of London Centre of International and Area Studies was established in October 1969. The objects of the Centre were to promote and co-ordinate international and area studies at the graduate and advanced level and to provide opportunities for collaboration between members of the University and other interested persons. The Centre was under the direction of a Committee of Management, appointed annually by the Senate. The Centre was closed on the 30 September 1980.

The University of London Careers Advisory Service began with the establishment in 1909 of the University of London Appointments Board. Following the merger with the Commerce Degree Bureau in 1922 it became known as the University of London Commerce Degree Bureau and Appointments Board. In 1938 it became a separate body again. In 1970 its title was changed to the University of London Careers Advisory Board.

The Collegiate Council was created on the recommendation of the Hilton Young Report (1926) by the Statutes of 1928, with the aim of strengthening the voice of the Schools of the University in the constitutional apparatus and avoiding the faction fighting in the Senate, which had characterised it from 1900. The composition of the Collegiate Council varied, but it initially comprised of the Vice-Chancellor, the Principal and the heads of Schools.

Statute 80 defined the Collegiate Council's duties as:

Enabling each School to take an appropriate and adequate share in University teaching.Securing the most advantageous distribution among the institutions of teachers, equipment and facilities for study and research on such matters as the Senate may prescribe.

However, the Collegiate Council never acquired the influence that the Hilton Young Commission had intended, particularly in the respect of the allocation of resources. Instead it concentrated mainly on the management of central student facilities, such as Athletic Grounds and the University of London Union and such matters which fell exclusively with in the jurisdictions of Schools. For example the creation of a uniform policy on non-Appointed Teachers and members of technical, clerical and clinical staffs.

In 1980, as part of the wider changes in the governance of the University, the terms of reference of the Collegiate Council were redrawn. The duties of the Collegiate Council now included:

to encourage co-operation between Schools;
to make recommendations to the Senate on all matters for which coordinated policies or actions between or on behalf of the Schools appears desirable to the Council;
to formulate the collective view of Heads of Schools and Senate Institutions;
to advise Senate on matters affecting student members of the university which do not fall primarily within the responsibility of individual Schools or of the Academic Council;
to appoint, on behalf of the Senate, bodies to manage such residential, sporting, social and other recreational amenities for students of the University;
to exercise such powers as the Senate may delegate to it.

The Commerce Degree Bureau was constituted under a Declaration of Trust approved by the Senate of the University of London in July 1920, in connection with the institution of degrees in Commerce and amended in March 1947. The Bureau was officially opened at 46 Russell Square in March 1922.

Until 1947, the Bureau was under the direction of a Board of Governors. In March 1947 the control and management of the Bureau was placed in the hands of a Committee of the Senate known as the 'Commerce Degree Bureau Committee'. The Committee comprised of the Vice-Chancellor, the Chairman of Convocation, the Principal and not less than eight members appointed annually by the Senate of whom four were appointed by the Council for External Students.

The function of the Bureau was originally to advise and assist external students preparing for the B.Com examinations. In 1922 the work of assisting graduates and students of the University to find employment, previously carried out by the University Appointments Board, was amalgamated with that of the Commerce Degree Bureau, to the Board of which the Appointments Advisory Committee of the Senate reported. Between 1922 and 1938, when the two organisations were separated again, both functions were carried out by the Commerce Degree Bureau and Appointments Board under a single Board of Governors.

University of London , Central File

The Central File was created after the Registrar's Office was dissolved in 1901.The main task of the Central File was to file correspondence of the University. After World War Two the Central File was renamed the Central Registry. Sometime during the mid-1980s the Central Registry ceased.

The University of London Children's Outing Group was organised to arrange summer and winter outings for children in care in London's children's homes and to offer support and assistance to children and their families. The group also undertook various fund raising activities to raise money for the group and other organisations offering care and support to children.

University of London , College Hall

College Hall was opened in 1882 in Byng Place to provide accommodation for the rising numbers of female students at the University of London in general and University College London in particular. Classes were open to women at University College from 1870 and at the London School of Medicine for Women from 1874. Among the eminent founders of College Hall were: Miss Leigh Brown, Sir Edward and Lady Busk, Professor Carey Foster, Professor Alfred J. Church, Miss Eleanor Grove, Lady Lockyer, Professor Henry Morley, Miss Anna Swanwick and Mrs. Stephen Winkworth. The hall at first occupied one house on Byng Place but later grew to occupy three which the residents affectionately named, Byng'. The success of the hall led to the granting of its incorporation in 1886 under the title College Hall London. It was recognised as a Hall of Residence for Women Students by the Senate of the University of London in 1910 (S.M. 3045 of 15, June 1910). 400 students had resided in the Hall between 1882 and 1912 including 160 from the Slade School of Art. The aims of the Hall in 1912, were to provide accommodation for women undertaking serious academic work. Hardship funds and were also available in 1912 forailing residents', as well as scholarships and exhibitions. The money to support these funds came from a number of charitable trusts set up through bequests. There was also a `Country Cottage' - a weekend retreat. The Council in 1913 comprised the provost of University College and W.P Kerr, Professor of English Language and Literature at University College London from 1889.
By 1912 it was necessary to rebuild the hall. Initial funding for the hall had come from the founders and their friends. In 1912, it is recorded that no grant had been received from the General Maintenance Fund of the University of London. The buildings at that date were held on a sub-lease from the Coward Trustees who were then tenants of the Bedford Estate. Both the sub-lease of College Hall and the main lease held by Coward Trustees terminated in June 1923. With this in mind, the Council secured an option to purchase the site for £7,500 and from Coward Trustees, an option to purchase the rest of the lease for £3,195. The money was secured for the freehold of the site, in large part due to a bequest from the first Vice-Principal, Miss Morrison. A studio, library, dining-room, common-rooms and a gymnasium were intended for inclusion in the project. Funds, however, were not available for the improvements needed to the buildings.
In 1931, however, it was recognised that the Byng Place site was insufficiently large for the proposed plans for a new hall. The Council therefore acquired from the Duke of Bedford, a 99 years' building lease on a site in Malet Street. £35,000 was sought for the construction of the new hall, after the sale of Byng Place. The new hall opened on Malet Street in 1932. College Hall also owned premises on Gower Street that were leased to other institutions (including the Ministry of Works in January 1941). College Hall was leased to the Victoria League on 12 December 1939 for use as the King George and Queen Elizabeth Club for men from armed forces oversees. However, the building sustained serious damage from enemy air attack on the night of 17 April 1941. 20-30 lives were lost and the building was rendered uninhabitable. College Hall's status as a company ceased as of 1 August 1965. From that date, the Senate of the University of London assumed responsibility for the running of the hall while the Court of the University took over its assets and liabilities (reference: SM 5191 of 14 July 1965).

In December 1965, it was agreed that the Charitable Trusts of College Hall be transferred to the Collegiate Council of the University (reference: SM 1887 of 15 December 1965 and SM 5928 of 19 July 1967) (see Appendix 1 for a list of charitable trust associated with College Hall). The Court made an interim grant of £34,736 available for the acquisition of College Hall in 1966 (reference: SM 4982 of 15 June 1966). The Court made further grants of £51,180, £77,250 and £6883 available for the rehabilitation of College Hall following its transfer to the University (reference: SM 877 of 19 October 1966, SM 2072 of 14 December 1966 and SM 2524 of 25 January 1967). Today, College Hall provides accommodation for 250 women students in 115 single and 66 double study-bedrooms.

University of London , Convocation

The Charter of 1858 admitted graduates as part of the corporate body of the University of London and gave them the right to assemble in convocation. Along with the Senate and Court, Convocation is one of three statutory bodies of the University of London and it is open to graduates of the University of London on payment of an annual fee. A Chairman, Vice-Chairman and a secretary, who is responsible for looking after the administrative affairs, serves it.

The 1858 Charter defined the powers of Convocation as being: 'the power to nominate three persons for every Fellow to be appointed in the manner herinbefore mentioned from a list nominated by the Convocation'. Convocation had the power to: 'discuss any matter whatsoever relating to the University, and declaring the opinion of Convocation in any such matter; of accepting any new Charter for the University, or consenting to the surrender of Charters; of deciding on the mode of conducting and registering the proceedings of Convocation; of appointing and removing the Clerk of Convocation and of prescribing his duties'. However Convocation was not entitled to interfere in or take control over the affairs of the University.

Convocation was given two additional powers under the Charter of 1863. These were the powers of accepting and surrendering any 'supplemental' as well as any new Charter; and that of deciding as to the recognition, upon such terms as the Senate shall propose, of any Degree to be conferred under the Charter, other than Degrees in Arts, Laws, Medicine and Science, as qualifications for admission to Convocation.'

Between 1886 and 1889 Convocation took over the committee for promoting the celebration of the Jubilee of the University in 1886 and that of Queen Victoria in 1887 from the Freemasons and other bodies associated with the University. To commemorate the Jubilee a statue of Queen Victoria was commissioned and erected at Burlington Gardens, then home of the University of London.

The University of London Act 1898 made the Chairman of Convocation an ex officio member of the Senate and gave Convocation the power to appoint sixteen members to the Senate. The power of consent over the surrender of an existing Charter or acceptance of a new Charter disappeared in the 1898 Act. However Convocation was given the right to be informed of and to appeal against any proposed new Statutes.

The Statutes of 1900 gave members of Convocation the power to elect the Chancellor of the University. During the nineteenth century the Crown appointed the Chancellors. The first Chancellor to be elected by Convocation was the Earl of Rosebery in 1900.

A Joint Committee on Computing Facilities (JCCF) was established in 1965 in order to advise on the provision of computer facilities within the University. The members of the JCCF were nominated by the Academic and Collegiate Councils. A sub-committee and the Technical Co-ordination Committee served the JCCF. In 1968 additional committees were adopted to co-ordinate finance and development of the centres, that participated in the University Computing Services.

The Central Co-ordinating Committee-Computer Services (CCC-CS) was the de facto executive for the computer services from 1969 to 1987. It was originally served by three sub-committees: Users, Director's (later Computer Services Management) and Planning, to which a fourth was added, Allocation of Resources, in 1973. The CCC-CS was also advised by the Standing Medical Computing Committee, which was recognised as a sub-committee of the CCC-CS in 1982.

As the University computing facilities grew, the need for an evaluation of overall policy was recognised and in January 1984 a London Computing Policy Committee was formed. A Policy sub-committee, formed primarily of the chairmen of the other sub-committees met from 1985 to 1987.

In 1987 the Joint Planning Committee of the Court and Senate commissioned a "Review of Academic Computing Resources and Management" (known as the McMullen Report). The report recommended, among other things that "the federal academic computing committee structure should be radically revised with one formal Computing Policy Committee reporting directly to the Joint Planning Committee." The existing committee structure was, accordingly, dissolved at the end of the 1986 / 1987 academic year.

University of London , Central Registry

The registers of deaths and changes of names of graduates was probably administered by the Registrar's Office and then after it was dissolved in 1901, by the Central File. After World War Two the Central File was renamed the Central Registry. Sometime during the mid-1980s the Central Registry ceased operations.

University of London , Court

Along with the Senate, the Court is one of the supreme governing bodies of the University. The establishment of the Court was recommended in the Hilton Young Report 1926 and was created by Statute 27 in July 1928, which came into operation in March 1929. The first meeting of the Court was held on 10 July 1929.

Originally the Court was comprised of sixteen members: ex officio members, the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and the Chairman of Convocation and thirteen other members appointed by the Senate, His Majesty in Council, the London County Council and one co-opted member. In 1981 it was enlarged to 24 members. Besides the Chancellor, the Vice-Chancellor and the Chairman of Convocation it had ten members voted by the Senate, four by the Crown, two by the Greater London Council, one from local authorities and four co-opted members.

Statute 27 defined the Court's functions, which included:

to have custody, control and disposition of all the property, funds and investments of the University;to control the finances of the University;to represent the University in all negotiations for obtaining grants;to determine the allocation of funds at the disposal of the university;to determine the expenditure necessary for the University property and staff.

The Court delegated its functions to various Court committees, such as the Committee on Accommodation, Bloomsbury Development Committee and the Allocation of Grants Committee.

In 1933 the Court took responsibility for arranging the laying of the foundation for the new site at Bloomsbury. Normally the Establishment Secretary was responsible for functions and ceremonies, but because of the Court's connection with the development of the Bloomsbury Site it was thought appropriate that Court staff along with the Principal should do most of the organisation. The Clerk of the Court represented the University at meetings of the Russell Square Garden Commissioners.

The Institute of Commonwealth Studies was founded in 1949 as part of the University of London to promote advanced study of the Commonwealth. It became part of the School of Advance Study in 1994. The Institute offers opportunities for graduate study, houses several research projects and offers a full conference and seminar programme.

University of London , External Council

The External Council was established as The Council for External Students under the 1900 statutes made for the University of London by the Commissioners appointed under the University of London Act 1898.

The Council consisted of the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, the Chairman of Convocation, members of the Senate appointed by Convocation, and members of the Senate elected by the Senate.

Despite the University of London Acts 1926 and 1978 the functions of the External Council remained the same. Statute 77, passed under the University of London Act 1978, defined the Councils duties as to 'advise the Senate and to exercise such executive powers as the Senate may delegate to it in respect of:

the establishment of degrees, diplomas and certificates of proficiency for External Students;
the preparation of syllabuses of study for External Students and the giving of advice and guidance to such students preparing for a degree, diploma or certificate of proficiency;
the regulation, conduct and superintendence of examinations for External Students and the appointment of Examiners for such examinations;
the admission of External Students under suitable conditions to University courses of instruction and to University libraries etc;
the conditions under which the Higher School Examination or examinations for the General Certificate of Education may be accepted in whole or in part as the equivalent of Intermediate or Preliminary examinations for External Students;
such other matters as the Senate may prescribe'.

In the academic session 1984-1985 the External Council became a committee of the Academic Council, the 'Committee for External Students'.

In 1876 the London Society for the Extension of University Education was founded with the aim of encouraging working people into higher education. In 1900 it became the Board to Promote the Extension of University Teaching (BPEUT) and became part of the University of London. The BPEUT became the University Extension and Tutorial Classes Council in 1928. This body was replaced by the Council of Extra-Mural Studies (later the Department of Extra-Mural Studies). The Department was integrated into Birkbeck College in 1988 and was initially known as the Centre for Extra-Mural Studies.

The Finance and General Purposes Committee, which was also known as the Joint Finance and General Purposes Committee between 1966 and 1983, was created in 1901. The Committee was responsible for the central administration of the University, including the appointments, and conditions of service and examination finances. Through the Services Sub-committee the Finance and General Purposes Committee was responsible to the Senate and the Court for the maintenance of the Senate House and other University buildings. Under the heading of General Purposes the Committee dealt with residual matters not falling within the purview of the Statutory Councils.

In the mid-1980s the University felt that the FGPC was not well placed to form judgements on a number of matters within its remit, particularly those dealing with the Central administration of the University and its Terms of Reference precluded consideration of the academic work of the Senate Institutes and Activities. Taking on board the recommendations of the Jarratt Report 1986, the Senate decided to dissolve the FPGC in 1987.

University of London , Human Resources

The Human Resources Office handles recruitment, core administration, routine enquiries and the provision of management information.

Following the publication in 1971 of the report of the Committee on Library Resources- an ad hoc body charged with investigating the problems of library provision within the University of London- the Senate set up in 1973 a Library Resources Co-ordinating Committee with responsibility for the administration and development of the University's central library services, including the University Library, the Extra Mural Library and the Depository Library, and for promoting the co-ordination and rationalisation of library activity in the University as a whole.

The work of the LRCC was carried out by a co-ordinating staff under the Director of Central Library Services, who was also Goldsmith's Librarian of the University Library, with offices in the University Library. The LRCC organised an extensive programme of automation: the Union List of Serials, the Shared Cataloguing System includes ten libraries and produces a Union Catalogue of Current Acquisitions containing 267 000 general records and 335 000 local records. The Central Book Fund makes grants to libraries for developing their special collections. The Central Information Service carried out research and development on computerised information storage and retrieval systems and provided training courses.

The University of London Contingent of the Officer's Training Corps is administered by the Military Education Committee. The OTC was created in 1909 by R B Haldane as part of the army reforms he effected as Secretary of State for War.

The role of the OTC is to train undergraduates for commissioned service in the regular army, the Territorial Army and Combined Cadet Force. The Corps is an integral part of the Territorial Army.

The Contingent is organised into sub units of the following armed services: Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers, Royal Signals, Infantry, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, Intelligence Corp and Women's Royal Army Corp.

The University of London Medical Graduates Society was founded in 1928 following an inaugural private meeting in September 1927. Its purpose was chiefly social and the stated objects of the Society were:

to bring medical graduates of the University of London into closer relationship with their University and with one another;to keep in touch with overseas medical graduates of the University;to promote the interests of the University and its medical members.

The Society did not meet during the Second World War and an attempt to revive it in 1946 failed when most of the nominated officers were unable to serve.

Not known

No information was available at the time of compilation.

In 1926 Mr. J G Wilson offered to the University a 24-inch Reflector Telescope. Certain schools of the University undertook for a specified period to contribute to the maintenance of an University Observatory, and the Senate accepted Mr. Wilson's offer and made a capital grant from general funds of £5000 for the building and the establishment of the Observatory. The University Observatory was opened in 1929 and was situated in Mill Hill Park. From 1951 University College London has administered the Observatory.

The establishment of an Organisation and Methods Unit was proposed to the Senate on 24 February 1965 by the Finance and General Purposes Committee, following its consideration of a note by the Principal. It was initially intended to serve the work of the University's central administration in Senate House and was directly responsible to the Principal. The staff of the computer and systems analysis section of the School Examinations Department formed the nucleus of the new unit.

The Senate extended the scope of the Unit, in 1967 to cover investigations requested by individual Schools of the University. On 1 April 1967 the Unit became a separate Department reporting through the Clerk of the Senate with terms of reference emphasising its role in the introduction and maintenance of administrative computing. On 1 August 1969 the staff and equipment of the Senate House computer installation were transferred from the School Examinations Department to the Organisation and Methods Department and it took the title 'Organisation and Methods Department. On 24 February 1971 its title was changed to Management Systems Department.

By 1977 the organisation and methods work of the Management Systems Department was dwarfed by its other responsibilities and when the Department was incorporated in the new Department of Accounting and Administrative Computing the OMU was separated and placed under the direct control of the Principal. It was transferred to the Establishments Division of the Department of Administration and Services on 1 February 1979 and following a general reorganisation of the central administration to the Personnel and Administration Division of the Senate Department on 1 August 1982. After this time staff who left the Unit were not replaced and following the retirement of the last remaining member of staff, it was closed in 1989.

The Physiological Laboratory was established by the Senate in January 1902 by the allocation of rooms on the second floor of the University Building at South Kensington and by a grant for equipment. Donations for equipment and maintenance were also made by Walter Palmer, M.P. and by G.W and A. Palmer.
The purpose of the Laboratory was to afford to the lecturers of the University and other duly accredited physiologists a place in which the results of current research would be presented by lectures and demonstrations; and to provide advanced students of physiology an opportunity for the prosecution of research. Courses of research lectures and demonstrations were delivered and a limited number of students were admitted as laboratory workers for advanced work.

The Laboratory was closed in September 1923 when the Senate, on the recommendation of the Finance Committee, declined to provide any further financial support.

The Registrar's Collection is an entirely artificial collection, since the Registrar did not create it; indeed there are papers within the collection that were created after the Office of the Registrar was abolished in 1901.

This collection comprises of records brought together by Miss Dorothy Matthew, a former member of the Court Department, between 1950 and 1954 and records found in the University Library book stack in the late 1970s, early 1980s.

The Reform Act of 1867 permitted the University of London to elect its own Member of Parliament. All members of Convocation were entitled to be registered as constituency members and participate in the elections. Between 1868 and 1950 the University was represented by six different members of parliament. The University franchise was abolished in 1950.

The Registrars Office was created c.1840 and dealt with examinations and general administration of the University. The post of Registrar, along with the Office, was terminated with the introduction of reforms in 1901.

The University of London Staff Association was founded in 1937 and for many years concentrated largely on social activities. With the expansion of the University it was necessary to set up a Consultative Committee to act as a means of communication between the University authorities and the staff. The Staff Association and the Consultative Committee merged in 1968 to become the University of London Administrative Staff Association.

The School of Advanced Study was established within the University of London in 1994, bringing together the specialized scholarship and resources of several prestigious research institutes to offer academic opportunities, facilities and stimulation across and between a wide range of subject fields in the humanities and social sciences. Since 1994, the composition of the School has changed as some of the original institutes have amalgamated and some newer ones have been founded. As of 2007, the following 10 institutes are members:
Institute of Advanced Legal Studies;
Institute of Historical Research;
Institute of Classical Studies;
Institute of Commonwealth Studies;
Institute of English Studies;
Institute of Romance Studies;
Institute of Musical Research;
Institute of Philosophy;
Institute for the Study of the Americas;
Warburg Institute.

The School Examination Board was a standing committee of the Senate and was concerned with public examinations primarily designed for pupils in secondary schools.

The University of London has conducted examinations for school pupils since 1838 when the London Matriculation Examination was introduced to determine the admission of candidates for a degree course of the university. The 'London Matric' was open to anyone over the age of 16 and became widely used for purposes other than university entrance.

In 1900 the University was reconstituted and a Matriculation Board was established to conduct the Matriculation Examination and to advise the Senate on matters relating to the admission of students. The Education Act 1902 resulted in the expansion of secondary education and the need was recognised to rationalise the many school leaving examinations, including those conducted by universities, which had developed side by side with the Matriculation Examination. The School Certificate and Higher School Certificate examinations for pupils were introduced in 1918 and following the acceptance of the University as an approved examining body by the Board of Education, the new examinations were conducted on behalf of the University by the Board to Promote the Extension of University Teaching.

Three years after the Hilton Young Report 1926, and the passing of the University of London Act 1926, the Statutes of the University were altered and a new body, the Matriculation and School Examinations Council, was given the dual task of dealing with the Matriculation Examination and the School Certificate Examinations. The Council continued in existence until 1951 when the General Certificate of Education Examination, open to all not just school pupils, replaced the School Certificate and Higher School Certificate Examinations which had been restricted to school children. The Matriculation Examination was abolished and the Council was renamed the University Entrance and School Examinations Council.

On the 23 September 1954 a group of librarians from different Colleges, Schools and Institutes of the University of London gathered to discuss the formation of an organisation of University of London Librarians.In July 1955 chief librarians of the University of London Librarians met as the Standing Conference of the Librarians of the Libraries of the University of London (SCOLLUL). At this meeting they devised a constitution which defined the object of the SCOLLUL as to consider and take action on matters connected with the libraries of the University. Such matters included library staff salaries and qualifications; completion of union catalogues, and library resources. SCOLLUL came to an end in 1974 and was succeeded by the Library Resources Co-ordinating Committee. In addition, the Senate set up a Committee on Library Resources in 1967 to investigate the possibilities of increasing co-operation in the rationalisation of resources. The Committee presented its report in 1971 and after wide discussion the Library Resources Co-ordinating Committee was established in 1974 as a permanent central activity reporting to the Senate. To promote co-operation, subject sub-committees were set up, based on the Boards of Studies, and each library with a major interest in the subject sent a representative, the aim being to have a balance of librarians and academics. A co-operative approach to computers was also encouraged. A systems analyst was appointed to investigate a scheme to cover acquisitions, cataloguing and issue systems to be shared by a number of libraries. A parallel organisation, Central Information Services, was set up to review the on-line databases that were becoming available. CIS did much useful work in familiarising librarians and academics with a new concept and in running training courses in search techniques. During this period the ULL had a Library Board.
The formation of the LRCC affected the University Library in a number of ways. The duties of the Librarian were widened to include overall responsibility for the administration of the Central Information Services, the Depository Library and the committees of the LRCC. The title now became Director of Central Library Services and Goldsmiths' Librarian and the first holder of the reconstituted post was appointed in 1974. The University Library was itself now an activity of the LRCC and its policies were subjected to wider scrutiny and approval. ACCULL, the Advisory Committee on the University Library, was the ULL official committee during the period 1974-1994. The SCOLLUL was served by an executive committee, which included the Chair and Secretary of the Conference, as well as six other members. The work of the Conference was delegated to various Conference sub committees.

University of London , Senate

According to the first Charter granted to the University of London by King William IV, sealed on 28 November 1836, the Senate was responsible for the "entire management of and superintendence over the affairs, concerns and property" of the University. From its very beginning, the Senate delegated its functions to various committees and sub-committees. Two of the earliest were the Committee of the Faculty of Laws 1837-1843 and the Committee of the Faculty of Arts 1837-1844.

Originally the Senate was composed of thirty-six members, fellows of the University, appointed by the government and headed by a Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor. The Senate first met in March 1837.

In 1900 changes were made to the constitutional arrangement of the University of London. The composition of the Senate was changed and the body was increased in size to fifty-six members. Also three standing committees of the Senate were created, the Academic Council, The Council for External Students and the Board to promote the Extension of University Teaching. These committees played an advisory role to the Senate.

The University of London Act 1926 was created as a result of the Hilton Young Report 1926. The Statutes of 1929 implemented the provisions in the Act, which introduced a new executive body, the Court, and changed the composition of the Senate.

A bicameral system of governance was implemented, with the introduction of the Court, which took control of the University's finances. The Senate remained the 'supreme governing and executive body of the University in all-academic matters.' The chairman of Convocation became an additional ex officio member, along with the Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor. The Senate was now comprised of members from the Faculties, Convocation, the General Medical Schools and co-opted members.

The Report of the Robbins Committee on Higher Education, published in 1963, stated that there were problems and inconsistencies in the University of London, which called for investigation and remedy. It recommended that if they could not be resolved internally, they 'should be the subject of independent enquiry.' In 1969 it was considered that a major investigation of the University's structure was required and, on the initiative of the University, the Committee of Enquiry was established jointly by the University and University Grants Committee under the Chairmanship of Lord Murray of Newhaven. One of its terms of reference was to consider and advise on 'the functions, powers and composition of the Senate and the composition and responsibilities of its Standing Councils and Committees. The Committee of Enquiry into the Governance of the University of London was appointed in June 1970 and published its Final Report in 1972. The Consultative Committee for Co-ordinating Discussion on the recommendations of the Murray Committee was established in November 1972.

The University of London Act 1978 follows on from the issues raised by the Murray Committee. The Act increased the size of the Senate. The University's constitution was changed as a result of the Act in 1981. The Senate was enlarged to 120 members. It now included the four ex officio members, the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor, Chairman of Convocation and the Principal together with twenty-eight Heads of Schools of the University, twenty-five teachers elected according to their membership of the Boards of Studies, fifteen teachers elected according to the institutions at which they held their posts, ten other teachers, twenty Convocation members, twelve student members and five co-opted members.

The Maintenance Department was created in July 1937 and its chief officer was the Maintenance Officer. The Maintenance Department was responsible for general maintenance of the building, furniture and equipment, functions and ceremonies, catering and publications. In 1967 the Maintenance Department became the Services Department and its chief officer was given the title of Controller of Services, which was subsequently changed to Secretary for Services.

In 1871 Sir Julian Goldsmid gave £1000 to the University of London so that it could establish, 'a first class University Library, which....will not only improve the position of the university, but also will be of great service to its students and graduates.' In the same year the library received 4000 volumes from Baron Overstone and a further 7000 volumes on the death of the classical historian, George Grote. In 1871 the Library Committee was appointed to devise regulations for the Library's use and to direct the Registrar to have a catalogue compiled. In 1873 the Treasury agreed to give the Library £100 per year to pay for the maintenance of the library.

The University of London Library was formally opened to readers in 1877. In 1879 the library of the British Association was presented and in 1880 the Library received a collection of Russian books from the widow of Sir John Shaw-Levre. At the reconstitution of the University of London in 1900 the library was moved from Burlington Gardens to South Kensington.

In 1901 the Company of Goldsmiths purchased Professor Foxwell's library of economic literature, some 30,000 volumes, and presented it to the University Library in 1903. This gift doubled the size of the collection. Mr L W Haward was appointed Goldsmith's Librarian in 1905. Reginald Rye succeeded him in 1906, and remained in the post until 1944.

In 1910 the Travelling Libraries began, when at the request of the Library Committee (from 1973, University Library Board) to promote the extension of University teaching, the University Library agreed to accommodate a small collection of books for issue to Tutorial Class students. Collectively known as the Travelling Libraries it was renamed the Extra Mural Library in 1955. It continued to be administered by the University Library until 1975 when it became a separate unit of the Central Library Services under the control of the Library Resources Co-ordinating Committee. In August 1981 the Extra Mural Library became part of the Department of Extra Mural Studies.

The Library grew at a tremendous rate before the Second World War. In 1924 a music library was established. The Teachers Guild of Great Britain presented the Library of R H Quick in 1929 and in 1931 the Library received the Durning-Lawrence Library. The Harry Price Collection was put on deposit in 1936 and came as a bequest on the death of Harry Price in 1946. The growth of the collection made the acquisition of new premises a matter of extreme urgency. When the University moved to the Bloomsbury Site in 1937-1938 the Library was given space in the Senate House building.

During the Second World War the tower and three stack rooms were heavily damaged, but only around 200 books were lost. The Goldsmith's Library was evacuated to the Bodleian and other valuable books were sent to the University Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Cambridge.

After the war the Library continued to acquire collections. Notable donations include the Sterling Library opened in 1956, the United State Information Service Library, 1965 and the Sturge Moore papers, 1963. In 1952 the Library set up the open Lending Library - hitherto nearly all books except reference and music books were housed in closed stacks. In 1961 the Depository Library was opened in the grounds of Royal Holloway College at Egham to house little used books and theses.

The University Librarian is head of the Library and is served by the following Senior Officers: Sub librarian (Academic Affairs), Sub librarian (administrative Affairs), Information Systems Manager, Head of Special Collections and the University Archivist.

University of London , Computer Centre

The University of London Computer Centre was set up in 1968 following the University's acceptance of a Government report on how to facilitate the computing needs of universities. The aim of ULCC was to offer a service to all universities in Britain but most of its resources were devoted to thirteen universities in the south of England and to institutions of the University of London.